8.7

1. Mar 23, 2014
    It seems that a minority still want to view this game as "greater" than the sum of its parts, but never seem to address the problems that individually tear this game to pieces. Obviously when you shoe horn in a lot unfinished mechanics with a decent storyline, a unique visual design of characters within said plot, and nice setting to have it all take place in, you're hedging your bets that the positives outweigh the negatives. In this instance however, their is a constant subtle effect of negative outweighing the positive throughout. From the horrid camera controls, fixed camera angles, woefully terrible combat, woefully goofy artificial intelligence, the utterly boring races, the collect-athon photography mini-game, (that I should remind everyone has no bearing on the plot after the first "Domz" attack) the bizarre characters that grew obnoxious even after the first twelve times they uttered dialogue and the main character herself feeling more fleshed out than any other half-baked concepts in the game. Playing through the game so long after release allows players now to isolate the "bad" and see if its possible to push through till the end of the game hoping that all they've put up with will be rewarded. Which never happens. The game ends with a whimper and a completely unnecessary cliff hanger. Given the time of its release, I can see why many would sympathize with the title having received "less then" the right amount of attention or respect, but the painful truth is that it "didn't" revolutionize any mechanics. It borrowed more from older mechanics, half-assed those, and was then laden with a mystical sort of reputation as "the game that didn't sell well." I think after all this time it'd be a bit obvious why of course. Their were things in this game that didn't work. Stealth sections were embarrassingly dull and simple. Drawn out to the point of tedium, lacking any real complexity most times. The player faced no serious peril or repercussions from dying at any point in the game and merely had to sit around for about ten seconds after Jades slow-motion, cinematic, and ultimately pointlessly received "death-blow." The minor characters are barely made relevant as well since the plot is immediately thrown on top of you after the first "mission" of the game. It draws you in a bit and then it just goes nowhere. Nowhere but clear cut, no choice, linear pathways through the rest of the game and story. The dialogue is rough as well, featuring fairly inconsistent performances in a game all about characterizing the main characters and even Jade fails to sound committed or merely concerned about anything going on. She doesn't ask questions, she's just like "Rebels good, Empire bad." Its a tired, old, mangy, dead horse of a concept and their is no build-up aside from the introduction, the brief fight at the beginning so that players could familiarize themselves with the simplistic combat system, and a very light explanation for all of it one to two hours into the story. Their is no excuse for the barrage of silly side quests that merely slowed down the main quest and it destroyed any feeling of urgency when a supposed side-character is in trouble, only for Jade to be out hunting "pearls" to fix up a Hovercraft for optional racing side-quests. Everything in this game aside from the world, setting and visual style seems to have received more effort than anything else. Why is Jade a cardboard cut-out? Why do other characters seem utterly pointless upon first meeting and subsequent meetings afterwards? Why are we thrust into these linear and boring areas of the game when the initial starting points seem so large and varied? Alpha Section must be paying quite a bit on their electric bill to keep all these lasers going, I mean I haven't seen this many lasers shoved into level design since Rayman 2. Which isn't even a slam on Rayman 2. That game had brilliant level design and is in many ways very similar to Beyond Good & Evil. The problem here was these tiny boxes of levels that Jade was shoved into, only for the player to realize after they were over: "Wow, without all those switches, stealth sections, forced fighting sections, photo-sessions, and brief cinematics, that wouldn't have taken very much time at all." Which is the point, everything done to frustrate the player, through "so simple you feel like an idiot" puzzle solutions, to the cramped level design, you start to get the feeling that this was all just a vehicle to tell the story. Which is a terrible feeling. As cinematic "experiences" games fall flat in almost every regard. Its not what their about. Beyond Good & Evil tried to balance the two and failed. Its eleven years later and it has completely failed to grab me or immerse me into its world through its broken mechanics, poor design, and lackluster characters. I can't believe people still call this game "underrated." Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    This is an original story and setting, but the gameplay is atrocious. The camera is the worst part of all, it often will force your perspective to change, so you are disoriented. And you often can't reorient the camera, you're stuck with a fixed perspective.

I did enjoy the first parts of the game a lot. I like the boar uncle "Pey'j", the cartoony soldier/friend double-H, and the
    overall setting. The story was interesting. The music and voiceacting are good. I really liked the Rhinocerious mechanics at "Mammago" garage and the other cartoony animals like the friendly bull bartender. The world itself was chaming, though it was very very limited.

The game is from 2003 so I don't expect open-world, but when I got my spaceship I could only fly a few seconds in each direction before I was "out of bounds" and forced to turn around. Incredibly limited and linear. There's no exploration of the city, just a handful of streets you can walk down.

I got much of the way through the game, but eventually gave up out of boredom. I couldn't stand any more. The camera controls were unacceptable, and the repetitive "patrolling guards" puzzles were more than I could stand in the end.
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    This game has a fantastic story, great characters and mean enemies! I like how you can get money and pearls (with interesting "quests"). I can replay it after a long time without getting bored.
  4. Feb 22, 2014
    Still one of the best games for world development flowing from player's actions. It's a thrill seeing the world changes as you gather more evidence about the corruption of the overseers. I really wish more games incorporated this element of game play changing the game world.
  5. Dec 18, 2013
    It was good in 2003, it is good in 2013. Great characters and story. A rich world that will captivate gamers. This is one of those rare experiences one never forget.
  6. Nov 3, 2013
    This game is excellent, the graphics are good, the music is A M A Z I N G. The characters are great and there is excellent story. The world is huge and makes you feel that you actually live there and makes you want more. I played this game more than 20 times, and it looks always different and entertaining. This game is clearly underrated.
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    It is the most beautiful game I ever played. Try it out! It is a pitty that this game was never in the "Gamecharats" because it is WAY better than at example Oblivion or Black Ops II or any other game.
    For me it is just the best game ever, because I never felt, while finishing the story, this "No-this-cant-be-over" feeling before.
  8. Feb 23, 2013
    When I was like 6, I got my dad to buy me a copy of this as it looked awesome.
    Then I installed it, and started playing it but since my English sucked, I could barely realize what was going on and figured I'd just give up.
    But I always remembered how brilliant it seemed, and how amazing the world looked.
    So when I was looking through my old discs like 2 years ago and found this, I
    immediately installed it and I'm so glad I did.
    Michel Ancel is the most brilliant man in the video gaming industry in my opinion the atmosphere of this game and of Rayman 2 are just amazing. The plot is great, the characters very likable, the atmosphere world so immersing and beautiful...
    Highly recommended =]
    Can't wait for BG&E2.
  9. Jan 8, 2013
    i would definitely put this game in my top 5 because of the fact that it never gets old. i've played this game over so many times and each time feels even better than the last. the immersive scenery and sounds effects make the game more then worth it to play over again. if you're someone who likes action/adventure games then you would be a fool not to try this one.
  10. Nov 3, 2012
    Beyond Good & Evil to be played at its best, requires a gamepad and if like me you do not have one, soon you will become crazy. Besides this seems to be a good game, maybe the graphics are a little heavy.
  11. Aug 12, 2012
    A truly great adventure! This game isn't perfect - but it offered me the best experience that I probably ever had with a game. Pretty much each year I go back and play it again. While I've played many excellent games that I've really enjoyed, I can't name many that I would regularly return to. I would even dare to go that far to say that this game shoud appeal to almost anyone - try it yourself. (And buy it, this is perfect example where bad sales, although primarily caused by bad advertising by ubisoft, caused the game sequet to be delayed more than ten years!) Expand
  12. Jul 23, 2012
    A masterpiece; no other word could convey the breathtaking setting, the compelling characters, the bliss in gameplay, the variety of the experience, the tightness of the plot, the challenge of the puzzles, the thrill of the stealth, the amount of sidetracking, the pleasure of exploration and the feel that everything was just at the right place.
    I am just sad that I wasn't aware of this
    game before, but when such detail is poured into a game it always ages perfectly; a true classic that everyone who likes gaming has to try out. Definitely hundredfold better than all the games I tried in this generation. Expand
  13. Jul 16, 2012
    This is simply one of the best games I've ever played. It perfectly combines a variety of video games genres in a great way. When I played it I had a fantastic experience that is unforgettable. I can't wait to see the second part.
  14. Apr 5, 2012
    A cult classic. Still one of the most original and underrated games. It delivers a great story, fun quests and a lot of content. The soundtrack is amazing and the graphics are still pretty good. Sneaking can still be frustrating and combat isn't very challenging or rewarding. Get this game now if you haven't played it.
  15. Dec 19, 2011
    This game is great ! It´s fun and very adictive, the characters fit into the game...it´s an easy adventurer, made for kids around the age of 12-16 , but it still is nice to play as an adult...although this being a great game, i can only give it 7 points because the pc port is weak...the controls will annoy you more often then you´d like, and this game suffers from serious graphic bugs because a lot of newer graphic cards don´t want to ru it properly...catch a console version, ià Expand
  16. Oct 15, 2011
    This is a fun adventure game actually but the annoying controls ruin it completely. At various points, you lose the ability to control where you are looking and just have a fixed view, or have a changing view that the game controls instead of you. Sometimes those weird camera views make me dizzy. And even worse the direction keys are tied to view, so sometimes w is forward and sometimes it is sideways and sometimes it is back. I can not recommend this game on PC, maybe console version is better. Collapse
  17. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is a rarity. It defies many game stereo types without being something so far out there and strange that no one wants to play it. The main character is a female who actually wears cloths and is a living breathing character with depth, motives and her own perspective. Not, like many video game female characters, who are created to be saved or gawked at. The others characters are also fantastic. The game has a lot of variety and all the attempted game mechanics work well for the most part. A very well written story that is in some ways parallel to current events and different views of events that we see today.
    The art style is fantastic making you look past polygons. I recommend it highly.
  18. Oct 10, 2010
    This a fantastic game, one of my favourite ever. It is perfectly made- amazing settings, great characters and really good story. The way it is made is also amazing- some games would just have given you a gun with the aim of killing everything insight, but in Beyond Good & Evil your best weapon is your camera with the aim of taking pictures to reveal the government conspiracy. Highly recommended. Expand
  19. Oct 15, 2011

1. Unfortunately, there’s still the irritating third-person camera and chugging graphics to remind you of BGE’s console origins, and it never comes remotely close to justifying the pretentiousness of the title – at a mere 12 hours or so it’s undoubtedly far too short.
  2. If you value story and atmosphere in your games, then you will enjoy the way Beyond Good & Evil transports you into its fantastic world.
  3. I liked the characters, the game sounded and looked good, and the action sequences were challenging without being too challenging.