Binary Domain PC

7.7

1. May 7, 2012
    Binary domain is an interesting game. It uses a relatively new idea to the world "possessed" by the robots. Despite the fact that the main thread of the plot is easy to expanding it so that it can draw some. For this quite interesting, and generally fun to be in the game. It's nice to kill a large amount of robots that quickly. It is a pity that a large part of the game, however, was rudeBinary domain is an interesting game. It uses a relatively new idea to the world "possessed" by the robots. Despite the fact that the main thread of the plot is easy to expanding it so that it can draw some. For this quite interesting, and generally fun to be in the game. It's nice to kill a large amount of robots that quickly. It is a pity that a large part of the game, however, was rude taken from Gears Of War, to the Japanese feel a little spoiled, then the boring and the game. My rating -7/10 Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    Based on completing game ( OCD for you ;) )

Graphics :- Pretty good but some bad textures and over use of bloom and shine spoil them. Art direction is very good though, some great robot designs and the way robots come apart has been well thought through. The levels look good , you know where you are visually . nice contrast between the murkier depths to the clean upper part of town.
    Based on completing game ( OCD for you ;) )

Graphics :-
    Pretty good but some bad textures and over use of bloom and shine spoil them.

Story :-
    Stereotypes and cliches abound and the pacing is awful. The lead character acts like a spoilt hormonal teenager. Writers forgot this is a visual medium with all the infodumps. Might work for a cheap soap but hey you didn't buy the game for story.

Audio :- Nothing to right home about. Music is generic, guns go bang to a satisfactory level.

Gameplay :-

The voice chat thing sounds ok on paper but execution is awful. I turned it off. you will still get asked repeatedly inane things by the team. You can ignore these but it will slow down the game as they will repeat and hold the game up. Don't worry about the relationship rating which should make your guys more effective if good. It doesn't , your ai buddies are pretty useless and remain useless even if you spend money upgrading weapon and skills for them.Spend all your credits on you.
    The pacing of the gameplay needs it's on mention as it's bad. Lots of cut scenes all over the place , the lead starts a monologue with an infodump after the the first chapter just at a point when you start really getting into the action and want to be killing robots. At least the cut scenes can be skipped. You cannot do this when you ai buddies start having a ramble and slow you down to a snails pace . The same snails pace is used in 'rest' areas which would be fine if much to do in them but there is not and it just serves to drag it out more than necessary
    The level design is ok , most of it is fairly generic corridor shooter stuff with some arena areas for bosses , a good mix of assault , escape ,chases, defend the point etc. Some levels could do with more checkpoints as the chance of insta gib is very high in some while other are a breeze. Also the use of qte's is very meh and adds nothing.
    The thing that will keep you going is the killing of robots. It doesn't get boring ,you can just blast at them which does work but will eat your ammo. Aiming for heads will cause them to malfunction and go after their buddies, certain bots have weak spots which will kill them quicker. The variety of them is pretty good and often come in large waves so you are kept busy during the fighting sections.

Controls :-
    This gets it's own section as it's a port. A port that has had little thought gone into it re controls.

If you intend to use m&b you will suffer. Mouse aim is bound like a button 1 for 1. You cannot do swift movement of mouse to get precise aim as you would in a normal pc game as it only translates to one or two moves . You will need to do small controlled moves to get best aim.

Using a controller is fine but the layout of binds is odd regardless of input choice and having one bind doing multiple things means you end up sticking to cover when trying to run past it quite often unless you take a wide berth which you cannot always do due to design and camera angles which at times is very poor.

Overall the robots make the game without them it would just be another sub par cover shooter
  3. May 6, 2012
    A sound 7. Consolish graphics. Good design. Interesting story. Nice characters. Could have been more deep gameplay wise and have better graphics on PC (using 40% of a GTX570 at 60fps (capped) and only 450MB of video memory) so overall it is a 7.
  4. May 4, 2012
    1st thing: It's a blattant Port from Console to PC, and a bad one at that.... Graphics, sound and fighting are ok. The enemies and boss are generics but do their job well. Got to love how the basic robot grunts are dimembered, but still want to fight...... Now here's the trouble part: controls. It was designed for the PS3 and probably play well with that controller, but it's a real mess1st thing: It's a blattant Port from Console to PC, and a bad one at that.... Graphics, sound and fighting are ok. The enemies and boss are generics but do their job well. Got to love how the basic robot grunts are dimembered, but still want to fight...... Now here's the trouble part: controls. It was designed for the PS3 and probably play well with that controller, but it's a real mess with a mouse/keyboard. Clunky mouse movement... The button you have to push and hold to focus on who talks to you should have been a on/off button. Right now, you have to WASD with that button pressed... Press the 'answer' button to have a list of answers to someone, and try to select one. Arrows, WASD, mouse, etc... No way I could select the proper answer. And peoples are supposed to like you less if you shoot them or if you don't answer them!... All control changes must be done outside the game, with another setup program... OH!... while in control setup, don't forget to choose Keyboard instead of controller, cuz the program is not smart enough to tell if you're using a mouse or a controller. Else you'll see controller button when a hint appears......... Less than stellar game with an abysimal lack of effort to make it PC friendly...... Don't bother unless a serious patch is released and when serious price drop happens... Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    Hollow Children is not new idea in science fiction, but it can show a lot more interesting than it's done in this game. The idea fell apart into small pieces, just as destructible throughout the game thousands of identical dummy. From such a miserable fate were rescued just bosses, but most of the time passed in the horrific corridors, closed streets and small venues. Heroes, control by aHollow Children is not new idea in science fiction, but it can show a lot more interesting than it's done in this game. The idea fell apart into small pieces, just as destructible throughout the game thousands of identical dummy. From such a miserable fate were rescued just bosses, but most of the time passed in the horrific corridors, closed streets and small venues. Heroes, control by a player, no different from the robotic enemies, to breathe life by the spanned jokes didn't happen. Together with the monotonous gray shades, everything that happens leads to a terrible depression. Expand
  6. Jul 13, 2012
    This is a port from Console to PC and a horrid one at that. The the makers did zero effort to make the controls on the PC feel right and good. The Voice sound system is weak and fail. Your AI "Buddies" you fight with get annoying with all the constant pointless dialog they engage you in and seem to be PMSing (Both males, Females and the Robots) when you do the slightest thing they do notThis is a port from Console to PC and a horrid one at that. The the makers did zero effort to make the controls on the PC feel right and good. The Voice sound system is weak and fail. Your AI "Buddies" you fight with get annoying with all the constant pointless dialog they engage you in and seem to be PMSing (Both males, Females and the Robots) when you do the slightest thing they do not like. The game's models (Weapons, Armor, etc) are VERY VERY basic. ((WARNING: Don't be confused by anything that might lead you to believe that this is a story co-op game.....it is not.)) Expand
  7. Aug 6, 2012
    A game that showed me much promise but just failed. The voice acting is godawful, the controls are stiff and unresponsive, the graphics are completely unconfigurable, changing the settings in-game is disabled - you can only change your binds or mouse sensitivity in the game configurator which has to be run separately. The gameplay is generic and bland, however demolishing enemy robots doesA game that showed me much promise but just failed. The voice acting is godawful, the controls are stiff and unresponsive, the graphics are completely unconfigurable, changing the settings in-game is disabled - you can only change your binds or mouse sensitivity in the game configurator which has to be run separately. The gameplay is generic and bland, however demolishing enemy robots does feel satisfying. The story is interesting but I couldn't play the game more than after the first 3 levels or so - I had so many graphical glitches and the controls made me go insane. The voice recognition software is a total mess - my 100$ microphone that I use in teamspeak and skype fails to cooperate with this game. I have to repeat certain words at least three times to get a response from the game and configuring the recognition to work is a pain in the ass. I shut off voice recognition after the part where I am told to shout charge - I sat there for about 20 minutes, saying the word charge in what different tones I could find with no effect.
    What seems to be a great game piled under all these problems could be fixed, but never will be.
  8. Jan 2, 2013
    This game really took me by surprise.The game has plenty of flaws. There are some terrible vehicle sections, the voice acting of some minor characters are laughable bad, the checkpoint system is annoying, the story can be a little to melodramatic at times, the voice recognition simply do not work , the conversation choices can sometimes be quite vague and the game is overall quite roughThis game really took me by surprise.The game has plenty of flaws. There are some terrible vehicle sections, the voice acting of some minor characters are laughable bad, the checkpoint system is annoying, the story can be a little to melodramatic at times, the voice recognition simply do not work , the conversation choices can sometimes be quite vague and the game is overall quite rough around the edges. The game do however have charm. The story is actually quite good and really interesting and i became really quite attached to the characters. Sure the story is cheesy and sometimes quite predictable but it got charm just like a good B-movie. The campaign is around 10 hours long and have a decent area-variety. There isn't a whole lot of different weapons but the enemy variety is extremely good and you get to fight a huge amount of different cool robots that actually act like robots. There is also plenty of boss battles which is nice even though most of them is you dodging and shooting the highlighted area. The conversation-system is enjoyable even though it lacks any major impact and the "rpg" elements works alright. The game is in no way perfect but if you have an interest in shooters or is a fan of the setting i would definitely recommend giving this game a shot since the game is quite different from other games in the same genre. Expand
  9. Jul 17, 2013
    Satisfactory shooting mechanics robots falling apart are awesome. Scrap-heads (as the main protagonist calls them) with both legs shot off, still crawling on the ground and trying to kill the PC invariably remind me of Terminator. Good stuff. Dialog is also well written, especially the humorous parts made me smile multiple times. The plot is rather simple but the presentation is good. IfSatisfactory shooting mechanics robots falling apart are awesome. Scrap-heads (as the main protagonist calls them) with both legs shot off, still crawling on the ground and trying to kill the PC invariably remind me of Terminator. Good stuff. Dialog is also well written, especially the humorous parts made me smile multiple times. The plot is rather simple but the presentation is good. If this game had bigger budget, it would be a hit. It lacks in level design (corridors, hangars, all similar, sterile and empty) and graphic effects (sparks, electric discharges, oil leaking out of robots, some particles flying in the air I miss such eye candy in this title). All in all, this is a good game and worth playing. Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2013
    It is ok, I guess. Mediocre third person shooter and sadly a pretty bad console port. Nothing really stands out in this game.The graphics are fine but bad porting made it so the fps is often a single digit even on good hardware. Binary Domain has pretty much all the standard features of aTPS, basic story layout shooting cutscene shooting and so on. I`m not saying this alone is bad, no.It is ok, I guess. Mediocre third person shooter and sadly a pretty bad console port. Nothing really stands out in this game.The graphics are fine but bad porting made it so the fps is often a single digit even on good hardware. Binary Domain has pretty much all the standard features of aTPS, basic story layout shooting cutscene shooting and so on. I`m not saying this alone is bad, no. It can always be enriched to enhance the whole title., although here we have none of that. There are many varied levels, though it ends up always the same takig cover and shooting. The AI is good and varies depending on the type of enemy though again, not too many of those. There are few weapons, few skills, few upgrades, few items such as grenades. The controls take some time to get used to but generally are alright. I was bored within half of the story time (summed is approx. 10 hours from which 9 is gameplay) but I wanted to know what happens next. I just had to sit through all the blablablah bad dialogues to see it. Not to mention this game covered probably every action movie cliche ever made. The repetitive gameplay was sometimes interrupted by the level bosses which is a nice touch. All in all I can`t say I will remember Binary Domain, although I did wal through the whole thing so I guess I did enjoy it. A full 7 out of 10. Expand
  11. Jun 12, 2014
    At first I almost gave up on playing the game since I couldn't find which button was used to access your radio. The keys aren't mentioned, symbols are shown instead, and while with hind sight I do recognise the symbol, it wasn't clearly recognisable at the start.

Tab=control radio M= mouse button, left one if I remember correctly. But after searching the internet for more than an

Tab=control radio
    M= mouse button, left one if I remember correctly.

But after searching the internet for more than an hour I found out which button to press.
    And the game proved to be playable and quite enjoyable for a shooter anyway. I don't like shooters that much, since it's usually just mindless shooting. But while this is a real shooter, there is a bit of a story. The story, though not much, is enough to give the game an extra dimension while not slowing the action down.

If you like fighting lots of different robots, and action packed bosses you'll probably like this game. While I enjoyed myself, I prefer RPG's, so I won't rate this higher than a 7,5, it's more for fps fans than for me.

-Visuals are very pretty and sci-fi Japan 2080
    -Sound is good, no annoying music scores that plague some shooters
    -gameplay is great, buddy system works great and is easy
    -fast action
    -if you like gears of war you'll like this game
  12. Mar 1, 2015
    The gameplay gets repetitive at times, even though I have to say it's very satisfying to see masses of scrap-head bofyparts come off :) Still, I'd reccommend to play it for the story only, sure it has it's clichees but on PC you don't get much nearer to a Gears of War. Maybe Bulletstorm is the only other one I know of. Play it, you won't regret it :)
  13. Sep 6, 2015
    this game is common shooter game. game concept is good. but a latter part is boring. and i cannot immersed in the storyline. a view of world of robotech is good. but they didn't make use of it.
  14. Sep 16, 2015
    The basic game feels terrible from the "plot and good ideas" perspective. The characters are all stereotypes, save the Brit lady, the story feels like a standard Japanese fare complete with inexplicable social controversies and over-the-top details. And the game play itself isn't anything beyond the norms for the most part. It also has some extremely annoying details like the inabilityThe basic game feels terrible from the "plot and good ideas" perspective. The characters are all stereotypes, save the Brit lady, the story feels like a standard Japanese fare complete with inexplicable social controversies and over-the-top details. And the game play itself isn't anything beyond the norms for the most part. It also has some extremely annoying details like the inability to switch out your main weapon and some quick time events that felt frustratingly unresponsive. The command system was interesting, though poorly implemented boiling down to being a yes-man and pep-talk guy. But! My god was it fun blasting the crap out of robots... Expand
  15. Feb 29, 2016
    Rastarom clearly basing his/her review on the console version....wrong section.

This game was recently given away free on Steam. I can only say I'm kinda glad I didn't pay for this. It's a third person shooter, with some elements of RPG in it, and seriously minimal interaction during combat play. The story is good, the plot is actually the only well thought out thing about the game in
    Rastarom clearly basing his/her review on the console version....wrong section.

It's a third person shooter, with some elements of RPG in it, and seriously minimal interaction during combat play. The story is good, the plot is actually the only well thought out thing about the game in general.
    The cover system is half decent, but what knackers it is the shoddy AI, clearly not moving and firing but moving, in your way, so you shoot them by accident, then they insult you whilst firing at the people you're firing at whilst moving to a safe location probably already occupied by your character.

It lacks polish and refinement, which is a great shame because with a bit more effort and a bit more determination to see it through to completion, this is one project Sega could have been really proud of.
    Instead, a three quarter finished product, with not the sloppiest console port going but still bad enough, with only the plot and the story worth following, this makes it a fairly reasonable giveaway if you ever get given it.
    It has it's merits, but it certainly needed a bit more work doing to it to make it brilliant.
  16. May 31, 2016
    You can call Binary Domain a half-hearted console port, a silly joke for its rather dumb storyline and numerous design flaws, or a fun game for hours of satisfying firefights filled with entertainment.
  17. Apr 8, 2016
    If there is a lesson to be learned about story telling in games then Binary Domain gives some food for thought. That I will discuss on my own website this review will be more focused on the game as a game.

Binary Domain feels like a budget game. The visuals are nice, but they had to take some shortcuts in the gameplay. The game presents itself as a third party squad based shooter and it isn't strange to compare it with Mass Effect and Spec Ops: The Line. The game offers three things to the player: battles with a squad of maximum three soldiers, the ability to upgrade and improve your characters and the story, which we talk about first.

The tale is set in the future. The earth has had its share of natural disasters and large parts of the world have been flooded. Humanity has dwindled and this caused the development of robots. Over time these got better and better until they would become indiscernible from humans or even improve on them(more human than human:P) Therefore an agreement was made which forbade the creation of human like robots, also known as hollow children. To give the agreement a bite special teams called Rust Teams were created to hunt down hollow children and those who planned on making them . You are in control of a Rust Team member, Dan Marshall, and after an attack by a hollow child on the head of the Bergen Company you are ordered to apprehend the head of the Amada Corporation who is suspected of being the creator of the hollow child(eren).

This theme is also explored in the movie Blade Runner and the book on which it is based(Do androids dream of electric sheep?). And movies like Terminator added to in their own way. One can quibble for ever about the good or the bad of it, let me just call it unoriginal. This is a bit ironic because when one has a small budget, one could add to a game by writing. It is the hardest thing to master, but by far the cheapest way to give extra value to a game.

The battles are pretty standard fare and alter between fighting your way through waves of rank and file enemies, with an occasional bigger enemy thrown into the mix and of course: the boss battles, the meat of the game. There are also some quick time event sequences which are hugely annoying as they always are, especially because the key combinations are often incomprehensible and not explained and have to be looked up on the internet or figured out by trial and error. The boss battles alter between great and frustrating. The frustration being usually caused by the lack of proper explanation of what is expected of you. Since there is often just one way to destroy a big boss the frustration is all the greater.

The squad based tactics are the most underdeveloped. You only have a few basic commands to order your comrades about. But then you won't have to depend on them as the gap between your character Dan and the rest gets larger and larger. In the end Dan can win most battles alone. Some characters are downright useless, like Rachael who has a shotgun and a rocket thrower which she never ever uses. The shotgun is the worst weapon in the game, as it lacks range, rate of fire and punch. Sniper rifles are more useful, but given their odd way of aiming, their weak firepower and the fact that the enemy charges at you and your companions run in front of you, they aren't that useful. This is also the reason why Faye, the sniper in the game, is pretty useless. You as Dan will actually score more and better hits with your automatic rifle that she does. Probably the best character in the game is Dan's sidekick Bo. He can take a lot of hits and handles a machine gun. Overall your team members are as much of a hindrance as an asset. There is also a kind of approval/disapproval thing in the game. It seems to have no effect whatsoever.
    Upgrading weapons is also limited. Each character has one prime weapon which is fixed, and only that can be upgraded.

You will often be subjected by moments that break the flow of the game. There are the chats that are forced upon you, which causes your character to slow down to crawling speed. There are moments when you have to to run which are broken up by cut scenes. There are far too many of these awkward moments that impact the flow of the game.

The game is decent, but nothing spectacular. Personally I liked the interaction between the characters, which is probably the strongest part of the story telling. Some of the boss battles are fun. Overall it feels like a game that could have been more epic if they just had improved the squad combat and the story.
  18. Oct 26, 2016
    A fairly standard third person shooter, nothing that makes it great. Guns feel light and mostly weak. Story is nothing but cliches. Where it gets interesting tho are the artificial intelligence themes this game carries. PC version runs fine, tho its clearly a console port with small amount of options and customization, Controls on mouse and kboard can feel wonky and overly sensitive whichA fairly standard third person shooter, nothing that makes it great. Guns feel light and mostly weak. Story is nothing but cliches. Where it gets interesting tho are the artificial intelligence themes this game carries. PC version runs fine, tho its clearly a console port with small amount of options and customization, Controls on mouse and kboard can feel wonky and overly sensitive which shows when youre faced against some of the annoying bosses.

Its a decent game that runs fine and plays ok for the most part, but nothing special by any means.

1. Jul 3, 2012
    Less Hot Shots and more Hot Fuzz. [July 2012, p.66]
  2. PC Gamer
    Jun 19, 2012
    The robots blow up good, otherwise this ho-hum shooter fumbles its few ideas and is a shonky port to boot. [Aug 2012, p.58]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jun 18, 2012
    If you can get over the weak beginning the game will catch you – Binary Domain is a breathtaking shooter set in a Hollywood style. A must-have for all fans of "robots-went-angry" situation. [June 2012]