8.5

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Considering all the loads of terrible FPS titles in recent years and my bad experience with previous Bioshock titles, I was really pleasantly surprised that Bioshock: Infinite is an excellent story-driven FPS. Hype is again pretty over the top as it always is with Bioshock series, but Infinite is definitely the best piece of the trilogy that I had by far the most fun playing through. Is it linear, mainstream etc.? Yes, it still is, but it is extremely well done and I appreciate the effort. 8/10 Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2013
    Although the game is pretty and the fighting interface reasonably good, I disliked that the game was movie-like in its linearity and provided very little gameplay time (about 16 hours if you slowly explore every nook and cranny in the game, but half that time at a normal pace). There is very little interactivity. If you try to walk in a different direction than you are supposed to go for the main story line, there is nothing going on--no sidequests, no perks to pick up, no interaction with the world at all. What's the point in playing a game if you are just going through a script of motions pre-selected by someone else? This would have been better as a movie. Expand
  3. Nov 21, 2013
    As soon as the teaser came out i was giddy and quite frankly embarrassed at how excited i was with the original teaser yet still i was curious as to how they were going to beat the first two games... Being a huge fan of the original 2 games (my favourite being 1) i was so hyped for this. I was disappointed. i couldn't wait for the amazing blend of survival horror that the first two brought changing the whole FPS industry in the process and i was keen to see the similar style of gameplay brought to honestly what is one of the most beautiful in game worlds their is... ever. and again i was disappointed. the gameplay is amazing... if your an avid fan of strange tower defence FPS hybrids; however, if you are like me (a complete survival horror nerd) then don't buy this game for the gameplay! it has many irritatingly difficult waves of endless enemies, which you only need your shotgun and sniper for.... speaking of which they are extremely OP there is no need to use any other gun in the game... NOT A SPOILER The ending will mess with your head so much you will implode, and also kinda be like... "that's it?" "seriously?" well okay then i gave it a 6 simply because all that being said it is still an amazing game with an amazing story/world/style/voice acting and probably the best AI companion... ever. Expand
  4. May 11, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite totally met my expectations. You start a game as a not so well prospering detective Booker Dewitt with a simple task to bring kidnapped girl back to home from flying(?) city. The more you play the less you really know what the hell is really happening in this idyll in the sky. Irrational Games did extreme job so you can fall in love with two main characters. And everything ends with the jaw-dropping and mind-blowing ending. The only negative I can find is kind of simple enemy AI with for ex. limited area they can chase you, but this game is not much about fighting. Story, beautifully crafted graphics and an enormous focus on details around the Bioshock Infinite mystery will give you a solid campaign experience you will not forget for a long time. Expand
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    Good game, but the story is over-praised its actually quite baggy, convoluted and a little predictable, and the gameplay can get very repetitive and linear at times. Again, its a good game, but perhaps the most overrated game since metal gear solid 2.
  6. Dec 1, 2013
    First off let me explain that I've been a gamer for more than 20 years and I have never written a review once. That being said, this game has blown my mind. I have seen a lot of reviews saying that this game is overrated yet most of those reviews have given it a pretty high score. After playing the game all the way through I have experienced emotions that I didn't know I had. It starts off fun, you meet your ally who I started out thinking I would be annoyed with. As I continued through the game I fell in love with. Not only was she not an Achilles heel, she was a blessing in disguise. This made the game fun and brought about an emotional attachment as she was actually insightful, intriguing, and genuinely interesting. Because of that it kept me interested and let me have fun through the entire game. BUT the reason why this game pushed me to write a review was because of fruition at the end that brought it all together. It was ended up being an emotion roller coaster that I will never forget. Irrational games has a place in my heart for the rest of my life. I'm in awe over what they accomplished and I'm excited to see what else they can do.

Past that there is one thing that I believe could alienate a lot of people:
    STRONG religious undertones!
  7. Dec 3, 2013
    bioshock infinite is one of my top 5 games, the soundtrack, story, graphics are just incredible. the gameplay maybe is a bit boring but it doesn't change my opinion. this game has the best ending i have ever seen. if you have a pc or any console you should play this game. this game worth it
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    This game has the best and most mind-blowing ending of any game I've ever experienced if you understand it. This on top of near perfect gameplay, challenge, and progression and you're looking at an all-in-one experience. If I would have one complaint, however, it would be that this game strays so far from the original Bioshock titles. The fact that you have to choose two weapons instead of carrying eight was so foreign to me after just recently playing the last two, and the new plasmids (now called "vigors") have a huge amount of flexibility which almost feel over-powered. Overall, this game is a must have for anyone looking to mentally connect to an intense, artful, and mind-blowing gaming experience. Expand
  9. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. This is my personal Game of The Year this far along with "The Stanley Parable". This game innovated everything that made the first "Bioshock" so damn good, and made a masterpiece with a touching and innovative story, great gameplay and combat, interesting characters and it offers 9 hours of gameplay trough the entire experience. Everything about this game is just wonderful! The grapich and the style... This game is a truly masteroiece. One of the best games ever made! Expand
  10. Dec 4, 2013
    If I could choose a game of the year, I would choose this one. Now I know I haven't played every game out there and for all I know there could be a game way better than this one, but i haven't found it yet. Bioshock Infinite continues the franchise's amazing gameplay and story, adding to that even more beautiful graphics and pushing the previously mentioned gameplay and story to limits rarely seen in the gaming world. The element of Elizabeth in gameplay might get some skeptical remarks, but it is one of the best companion AI's I've ever seen. Elizabeth passes you health, money, and salts (used for spell-like powers for those of you new to Bioshock) while all throughout the game staying out of your way. You never have to worry about Elizabeth dying or blocking a crucial shot. The story contains references to past games as well as amazing plot twists that will leave your mind questioning itself.

Please buy this game.
  11. Dec 15, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is art. If it is not, then do not know what could be. The graphics, the neoclassical architecture consistent with the 1912 period, the music and its performance, the joke with music and tears where you could see part of a past future and how all this is presented in the game is sublime. And moreover, remains a game with plenty of action, with the player in control. Just do not give a score of 10 because of some bugs, like what happened once, preventing an scripted event from happening and to progress in the game, and the way everything is solved with violence. Expand
  12. Dec 19, 2013
    Loved this game. The environment was very immersive, and the storyline was engaging. The character of Elizabeth drew you in and created a great emotional engagement that made the last portion of the game very intense. Like playing a good book.
  13. Dec 25, 2013
    Among the top tier of games. The visuals are the best i've seen in years. Beautiful art direction. The story is one of the most intriguing i've played in a long time, although it was sometimes a challenge to follow. Sound is superb, as is the animation.

However, my only gripe is several gameplay problems. One boss in particular was very poorly designed *SLIGHT SPOILER* (the ghost boss).
    Fighting it truly was a chore and not fun in the slightest, and multiple instances of the same fight seemed completely unnecessary. Surely they could have traded that idea for another enemy in the game...

Regardless, gameplay was fun, but got stale between plot points quicker than it should have. Setting that aside, this is truly a masterpiece and one of the best of this generation. I have a hard time deciding which Bioshock (first or Infinite) I thought was truly better.
  14. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a fresh breath of air from the last games. while some things have gotten changed i think it is for the better. I also think that this is one of those games that perfects escort missions since the are more as an asset than a roadblock. the last 2 games had a more lonely and solitary feeling to the games with few interesting caracters this one is full of colour and interesting caracters. while the game is not perfect i really recommend any Bioshock fan to give it a shot. and hopefully the upcoming DLC will be just as good as the game itself. Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    There are few games that makes me glad to play them without knowing anything about the story. Action packed, beautiful environment, I had to play on low graphical settings, and it still looked amazing. The story is subtle to begin with, and as the story progresses it picks up with such amazing twist and turns I didn't want to stop playing.
  16. Jan 2, 2014
    The game itself was a great game with a great story, however I found that parts of it was ripped of from earlier games (especially the start). You can see that the developers put lots of time and effort into the game even if the graphics aren't top notch. Another great game by 2k
  17. Jan 4, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a genius game. After you finish the game you have to play it again because the game is hinting the end so well, so when you will play it the second time you will have so much fun. Hardcore fans might not like this game because it's just not Bioshock. I can get why people wont like it because they expected a new Bioshock witch this game isn't the gun play in this game isn't the best but this isn't an fps game its a story driven game.

So to sum it up:
    this game is a STORY based game the story, the art and Elizabeth is the real meaning of the game
    a great game and worth you'r money.
  18. May 20, 2014
    New world to explore, beautiful world, but while the story and plot are better then what we experienced in Bioshock 2, its not even close to the original game and has many obvious flaws, but for some reason most people don't notice those flaws.
    But the real problem is the gameplay that doesn't makes sense with the story and the plot and is a huge downgrade from the previous games.
    Extremely linear, brainless, simple, it has backtracking, many enemies (especially bosses) are there just for the sake of it and have nothing to do with the story and weren't designed well at all, Vigors (the games' alternative for Plasmids) also make no sense in this world and half of them are mostly pointless, some weapons feel weak and you can only hold two of them (no it doesn't make shooting more tactical), and its too easy. Expand
  19. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Game is beautiful, the voice acting is great, especially by Troy Baker, the story really makes you think, and doesn't have the weak ending that Bioshock 1 and 2 had, the gameplay is ok, but this game is a masterpiece. Expand
  20. Jan 15, 2014
    I have been playing computer games since the days of space invaders, I have played and seen it all so I'm in no small way fussy and a little jaded. I have never given a game a perfect score so this is a first for me.

At its core Bioshock Infinite is a simple shooter, its not overly clever and its not trying to be. What sets it apart from the crowd is its superb blend of story, graphics
    and its pure imagination. Its not too much of a stretch to call this game a playable work of art.

I adored every exquisite, artistic moment of this game. There are times when it truly takes your breadth away. I'm in awe of its creators and how far we have come with game technology.

So hey stop listening to me gush. Bioshock Infinite is on EBay and other sites for prices that are an absolute steal. Go get a copy.
  21. Jan 16, 2014
    Amazing, unbelievable and fun. The art looks like it was made by saints and the story by unknown divine beings. If you don't like this game then you are probably one of those dota players that live in a bubble. After finishing it for like 7 times I will continue doing so until a better game gets released. Definitely my favourite title for a very long time.
  22. Jan 17, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is for sure a top game of 2013 and perhaps of all time. With visually stunning graphics and a story that pulls you deeper than almost any other, the game deserves special attention from true gamers. Bioshock Infinite is a near masterpiece.
  23. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is amazing. The the graphic is very good. The storyline is good. The gameplay is very good with fps, vigor, and unique gun. You must try this game.
  24. Feb 21, 2014
    It's come to my attention that people giving this game the red scores either are just hating, or don't know how to use the ratings properly.

I liked Infinite,and I can't quite grasp where the hate's coming from. Game of the year? No, not by any means. A good game during the year? Yeah, that's more like it.

I liked the different take on the idea of "A man and a lighthouse", and story
    wise, the game was okay. Though...what were they deconstructing again? Well, perhaps that wasn't the focus of Infinite; maybe they were focusing more on the alternate universe ideas than deconstructing an idea.

Gameplay wise I liked it. Thank God they had a plasmid wheel, unlike 2. Though what's up with the "Only two weapons" BS? I liked being able to have all the guns and the freedom doing so gave me; here it just feels like I'm being restricted. Gear was an interesting concept, but kinda eh. Maybe it was just the types I got on my play through, since I hear Gear is randomized each time you go through. Vigors were another thing I wasn't 100% fond of, using mainly Murder of Crows and Shock Jockey, though from what I've played so far in 1999 mode, I might be relying on them more. Infusions were a nice way to also put in RPG elements into the series; these give you the ability to increase either Health, Salts (EVE, basically) or a Shield.

The set pieces were nice, even on a lower graphics card. I've seen pictures and videos of it on higher settings and good Lord, it's a nice looking game.

All in all, if you're a fan of the BioShock series check it out. It's not The Best, but it's not The Worst either.
  25. Feb 22, 2014
    Really enjoying this game. Great art and music that's fully integrated into the narrative. The skyline is fun. Some of the PC controls (o for inventory/game play menu?) are hidden and not intuitive. Downsides for me are no stealth mode and few player choices. I think this reviewer sums up the good and bad really well. http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2013/04/17/bioshock-infinite-10-things-it-got-wrong/1 Expand
  26. Feb 22, 2014
    I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I do not like games that aren't **** brilliant. This game is so good I don't even know where to begin. I played it on one of the lowest graphics available, it still had one of the best graphics I have ever seen. The story is almost as good as the story in Oblivion, Ocarina of time, Suidoken etc. People that say that the story in this game is bad are RETARDED. I'm not even trying to be funny. They much REALLY have a low IQ. This story is so **** complex and amazing that I am now(2 hours after completing the game) still in a **** chock of wonder. The story is, although, very complex. I had to go online for explaination because so much of the story was thrown at you in the last 15 minutes of the game. That, and the "lack of story" throughout the mid-part of the game ares two of the reasons im giving it a 9. Another thing that is mindblowing are all the small details of the story. The story is so incredibly well-written that I'm actually stunned by it's depth. Although I donwloaded this game(I wouldn't have if I knew how good it was) I higly recommend you buying it. If you regret it, you are probably retarded and should stick to **** games, e.g CoD like the rest of the 12 year olds. Expand
  27. Aug 6, 2014
    Just a very good game. Nice story, interesting enviroment, graphic on good level. Buy and play, no regret. Just a bit too many brainless shooting scenes, sometimes, which kill climate of this series. Above all - there's no way to be bored with game.
  28. Feb 25, 2014
    i mean you can not say that is was a bad game anyway this was the best best game i have ever played wonderful story awesome ending and you are just bioshocked when it ends!
  29. May 27, 2014
    One of the best games I've played in my life. Bioshock Infinite may be confusing (not for me) sometimes, but it story is perfect. Graphics? Nearly perfects. Gameplay? That's what I call FPS. The details, every character is unique, especially Elizabeth. Super interactive and a beautiful character, she's what gave life to the game.
    I love Bioshock Infinite, the symbol of the generation.
  30. Mar 29, 2014
    Great idea, great design, great graphics. It is just let down by uninvolving gameplay. Just a series of go here and press F, then go here and press F. Oh what it might have been...
  31. Mar 16, 2014
    Good game, good story line and good graphics though i don't kinda like the way it looks.. they just need to improve the gameplay a little bit and make it less repetitive, coz repetitive will bring you to boredom..
  32. Jul 23, 2014
    only two issues:

number of guns and difficulty getting the upgrades right for the weapons I wanted

story got a dlc expansion, but, I'm not bothering with that.
  33. Mar 27, 2014
    With far less emphasis on level design compared to bioshock1, bioshock infinite is all about the story and the characters gameplay is watered down with the choice of carrying only two weapons like most of those generic mediocre military shooters on the market. But the vigors/plasmids, the beautiful city of Colombia on the unreal 3 engine and Elizabeth is what makes infinite worth playing.
  34. Mar 28, 2014
    From the very first moment I found this game highly overrated by reviewers.
    The game itself is a bit repetitive, I found myself wanting juts to finish rather than enjoying the game.
  35. Mar 30, 2014
    Another modern AAA story "game". The game itself is very basic and cheap: extremely linear tiny levels, poor AI, very short. Half of the game you just wondering here and there, participating in scripted cutscenes, watching something and so on.

Too bad Bioshock replaced true ingame exploration and adventure by this **** casual "story" crap. I guess 90% of budget went to "story", not much
    left for the game itself. 10$ is a fair price for this game Expand
  36. Apr 1, 2014
    German ;) : Seit langem mal wieder ein Shooter, der Storymäßig und Atmospherisch unter die aut geht. Vor allem die Liebe zum Detail, die Lebendigkeit der Welt, welche vom Setting her so unverbraucht wie kaum etwas anderes ist (Eine Fliegende Strahlende Stadt über den Wolken im Jahre 1912, durchdrungen von Prunk, Technik, Korruption, Irrglauben und revolutionären Gedanken und einem Hauch Magie und Paranormalem), macht dieses Spiel zu etwas unvergleichbaren. Lediglich der moderne Ansatz den Spieler zu lange am Leben zu lassen macht Spielspaßtechnisch einem Shooter-Fan der alten Schule hier einen leichten Strich durch die Rechnung .... Trotzdem 11/10 Punkten ;D Expand
  37. Apr 27, 2014
    Thought this game was amazing. Beat it from dusk to dawn. Gameplay was a bit repetitive but going through plots of the story was a blast. There were memorable moments and the voice acting and characters were spot-on.
  38. May 2, 2014
    +Stunning graphics +Damn fine story +A.I Companion is not a burden to you +GEARS! WOOOOO! +1999 mode - Loved it! +Huge amount of Easter Eggs and Secrets -Generic shooting mechanics -Vigors isn't useful than the plasmids from the original bioshock -R.I.P Irrational Games *Ken Levine got fired* -Less Exploring than the original. -Scavenging isn't a priority since you can just but ammo on vendos Expand
  39. May 11, 2014
    BioShock Infinite is undoubtedly a fun game. It's setting allows for incredible gunfights that almost never get boring. It's compelling story keeps it from being another generic shooter. I's art style is incredible, making the already good game even better.
    But it does have flaws.
    The game only provides around 10 hours of fun. There seems to be choice, but in reality all your choices are
    insignificant. While this isn't a big problem for your first play through, it removes all replay value. The game completely abandoned the city of Rapture, Big Daddies, and the dark atmosphere of the other games, which made it feel less like a BioShock game than it should have. You can only hold two weapons at a time, which is a problem for some people. (Not for me; I felt like it added to the experience, but what do I know?) Lastly, there's the issue of the ending. I won't spoil it, but let me say it was probably the deepest ending to a game in human history. IF you could understand it. Missing even single lines of speech can make the ending too confusing to understand. Once you do understand it though, prepare to have your mind blown.
    Now I know it seems like I'm hating on this game, but I really already described all of it's flaws. It's definitely worth your $20.
  40. May 21, 2014
    I still have no idea why this games scores so high with the critics. The environment is great, but the plot has many holes, the story moves at a snail's pace, and the gameplay is pretty average. Feels like a step back from the first two.
  41. May 28, 2014
    This game in my opinion is the best game of the best franchise of the generation. So just go buy it now it is well worth it. The story is amazing and complex but in a good way I don't know of any other games that touch on such deep and interesting theory and morals and then there is the ending which I won't go into because it is the best twist of any game story I know of it was worth playing it just for the ending but there is also so much more. Next up are the characters and the world. All of the main characters are amazingly deep and the best of these being Booker and Elizabeth both of which are amazingly voiced. Elizabeth in particular is astounding just the sheer effort and time put it her is amazing and all of this makes her one of the best and most likable characters in gaming. Last but by no means least is the environments and world as a whole it is simply stunning, the concepts and the way it is presented in its unique graphical style just blend together to create one of the most beautiful alive world's of any video game. All of this is backed up by solid game play that is fun fast and unique thanks to the addition of vigors, sky lines and tears. I can't recommend this game enough as it is one of my favourite games I have ever played just go out and play it you won't regret it and it will change the way you look at video games forever. Expand
  42. Jun 4, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is good game which offers a interesting complex story explaining the multiple universes concept which presents theories about time travel and such, but fails with repetitive gameplay mechanics. The graphics and the atmosphere is unique and appealing but the game play mechanics gets a bit bored because the game is quite long.

I do not find the storytelling like a
    masterpiece like others but I still think they made the story interesting for most, but I am not fond of unrealistic theories that are a bit complex for some, so that might be a reason why I do not consider this to be a masterpiece in terms of story telling.

The story telling of this game is dependent of you having to collect all audio files and also be aware of small details that could explain parts of the story. So it is a good game but it is not a great game or a masterpiece, and absolutely not a game of the decade like most biased Bioshock-fans claim. I still recommend the game because it might be a very interesting and complex story for some but I am sure the repetitive game play can still be boring at times.
  43. Jun 5, 2014
    gameplay storyline characters graphics bit to bit adrenaline pumping and exciting a great relief from the fps games. gotta be the game of year 2014. awaiting eagerly for the next edition
  44. Jun 6, 2014
    Unforgettable game with awesome gameplay and breathtaking story. Its atmosphere, story and gameplay mixed together simply make an perfect game.

+ The greatest game story i have ever knew
    + Incredible atmosphere
    + Good gameplay and combat
    + Good voice acting and sound effects
    + Beautiful graphics

The most unforgettable game experience EVER!
  45. Jun 6, 2014
    with Elizabeth, you can travel fantastic world!
    the fight system was little bit not good, (you can only use few gun)
    but beautiful story and character are make you feel nice
  46. Jun 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock infinite is a new concept, a new theme, a new story, a new city. Not only that, the city of Colombia is rich, meaning that it is alive with it's NPCs. Colombia was an amazing place to explore, and know the story and background of it. You play as Booker Dewitt, a gambler who is in debt, on getting the mysterious girl from the flying city. That girl is Elizabeth, and she is a unique character in videogame history. She has a personality, more than "I HAVE BOOBS AND I AM A GIRL" She interacts with the player; by throwing helpful things to you; ammo, weapons and first aid kits. And also the story is amazing and clever. also *spoilers* it has a shocking turn of events, and explains the hole concept of the game.

So far this game is Game of the Year 2013, such an amazing product from Ken Levine (he never disappoints)
    9.5/10
  47. Jun 27, 2014
    One of the greatest games I have played in a long while. I am not traditionally a FPS gamer but was sucked in by the very excellent storyline. I've played it through too many times now and always find something new. The graphics are stunning and is well thought out in terms of game play. Really, who can pass up the chance to play a game set in a steampunk city in the sky (Laputa anyone?). So much fun. So many hotdogs in drawers. I have recommended this game to all my game loving friends. Even if you don't like shooter games you'll like this as the story and visuals are the most compelling element. Just play this game already. Expand
  48. Jun 23, 2014
    I don't have words to explain this game, It's amazing.
    Any game will be better than the first Bioshock, but this, this game, this epic game is at the same level!
  49. Jun 30, 2014
    Best game i ever played! totally recommended. The story is great, specially the ending (really unexpected, and makes you want to play it again), the characters are great, many powers you can use, good graphics, fun to play, many weapons and Upgrades.
    You should also buy the DLC season pass, which contains two "story modes" about previous bioshock stories, and Clash in the clouds, a mode
    of pure combat which also allows you to unlock more things about the story and the world.
    Highly recommended
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    You find yourself in a tea partier's wet dream: a future that looks like the past. It's a whitewashed world with sinister undertones that you can't quite pin down until...Even the games menu pulls you into this world, to which you'll want to repeatedly return.

Just enough opportunity for exploration without making the levels too open. Great weapons and you'll enjoy the vigor.

The
    only complaint I can muster is a too convoluted story for the last third that feels mostly like the developers just wanted to extend the game.

But it's that atmosphere that wins it.
  51. Jul 22, 2014
    I really love Bioshock series,Infinite was one of the best game I played.I enjoy everything in the game and always ready to start this fantasy journey again.
  52. Jul 17, 2014
    BioShock Infinite was a beautiful game with great story telling and the end blew me away I had sit there thinking about it for about an hour until I finally gave up and googled it.this is a must buy it is probably my 3rd favourite game of all time.the gameplay was fun and fluid,this has really brought back what fps have become with things like cod and medal of honour ruining my love of them anyway haters gonna hate but don't listen to them go and buy this game right now I mean it! Expand
  53. Aug 28, 2014
    This game blew me away. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time. The gameplay is great the story is excellent, pretty much everything about this game is excellent. I highly recommend getting this at full price and its a must own when a sale comes.
  54. Jul 25, 2014
    I'm giving one pint for this boring **** because my little daughter like this game. I don't know how.
    I have to recognize one thing. I can't believe the have contrated Daniel day Lewis to make the soundtrack, but in the other side i understand it BECAUSE IS **** AWFUL.
    But for luck the didn't call Bryan Cranston to make the soundtrack...
  55. Aug 11, 2014
    For me this game was good, only good. But in compare to other games i ever played only Bad Company 2 haves better game play in single player story FPS games.
  56. Oct 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i REALLY wanted to like this game. like a LOT. i played through about half of the first bioshock when it came out for 360 with a friend of mine and had a blast doing it. i had heard some really good things about this game and was expecting a very fun time and when it started, i was having a blast. and then i got about 2 hours into the game and found myself, all of a sudden, totally bored. the combat didn't feel satisfying, the vigors felt either cheap and a little bit like cheating or totally useless. the game did make me laugh out loud constantly, especially the whole Founders thing, and the conversations you hear as you walk around (there's a particularly hilarious bit about an artist that you hear from a man getting his shoes shined in the beginning of the game), and the characters themselves: it was all very well-done as far as world-building and story are concerned. but the majority of the game is spent in combat, and really, isn't the combat supposed to be the driving force behind the game? great combat can support a terrible world but a great world cannot support terrible combat, though that's completely just my opinion. anyways, after 2 hours, i quit the game. i just couldn't get into it. about a week later, i decided to try again, and this time to try and really PLAY with the different vigors and weapons and the skyrail. it was actually pretty fun, for a little while. the vigors are fun to use, the weapons are a little underwhelming but they get the job done, and the skyrail was wild fun the first few times i used it.

here's the problem though: there was just too much wrong with the game's combat for me to really enjoy what was done right with it. sprint being mapped to a thumbstick button and not being toggle-able (or is it toggle-able? i honestly could not tell because it was done so terribly) was a huge mistake, as was mapping iron sights to the other thumbstick button. sprinting from cover to cover was a disaster every time. by the way, lets talk about cover in this game for a moment: it is almost completely useless about 50 percent of the time. the moment you get behind cover you will then realize that there is an enemy right next to you on the OTHER side of the cover. you can't know where these enemies are (because the game makers decided for some reason that this game didn't need any sort of map for players?) until you're hit, and even once youre hit, it's almost impossible sometimes to figure out where the hell that shot came from. the "arenas" you move through (that's the best term i can come up with for them) are a chore, and instead of saying, "ALRIGHT LETS TEAR EM UP!!" every time you see enemies, you find yourself saying, "goddammit i wish there was a way to skip this crap". amazingly enough, the game did fulfill my wish several times: i died and then was resurrected on the OTHER side of whatever enemies i had been fighting, ready to move on to the next portion. i can't say that i didn't welcome it sometimes, but at the same time i still felt a little, well, cheated.

the biggest problem for me with Infinite was that i simply stopped having fun after a certain point. and it wasn't because of the weird controls, clonky levels, endless waves of boring enemies or the fact that i just didn't really CARE what happened to dewitt and elizabeth.. it was all of these things together that just wore down my patience. by the time i had gotten to the final battle, SPOILER: which is a terrible tower defense stage that goes on forever, i had simply lost interest in playing. after i lost the fight twice, i quit and went to go watch the ending scene on youtube. i have NEVER been so tired of playing a game that i wanted to actually just skip the last fight altogether. i mean, even in the stages leading up to the fight, i consistently had a feeling of, "okay, i'll just keep going cuz this HAS to end soon". that is not how you should feel when playing any game, and beyond that, nothing in an action game should EVER feel like a chore, which is what Infinite unfortunately felt like all the time.

as far as the story, it was on par with your average big-budget action movie. not amazing, not terrible, but definitely enjoyable. unfortunately it seemed like the deeper you went into the world, through voxophones, etc, the less interesting it became. at the end of the day, the whole thing felt like it was organized around the twist at the end, which is sad because neither DeWitt nor Elizabeth are the most interesting characters in the game - the most interesting one was Columbia itself. i give this game a 6/10 for the fact that it is fun and engaging for the first few hours of play. however, once the initial wow wears off, there's really not that much more to it. it just turns into a poor shooter with an average story and an incredible world that's feels only half-realized. i' d say wait for a good steam sale if you're interested.
  57. Aug 23, 2014
    Bottom line, this game was fun to play. I like games with a good story and this one was exceptional, almost like reading a mystery novel. You had to pay attention. Like all Bioshock games the graphics were beautiful and the setting is unique. The soundtrack is clever. The combat was challenging and fun. The vigors seemed a bit repetitive at times, but not enough of a big deal to take away from the experience. I'm usually not a big fan of followers in games, but Elizabeth was great. You enjoyed her being around and cared about what happened to her. If you are on the bubble of buying or playing the game, do it. You will be glad you did. Expand
  58. Aug 31, 2014
    I bought Bioshock Infinite at a steam dea and it takes a long time till i finished the game.
    Bioshock is a really strange game. In the beginning i don´t like the graphic (bloom) also the story is very strange. it takes 2 hours of story until i liked the story. After you get to elisabeth the story is going to be interessting and the game is going to be too easy. You have no ammo, no
    problem wait for elisabeth, you have no magic blu stuff, no problem waitt for elisabeth. No health..... (you know).

So after 2 hours i wanted to know the end. I accepted the graphic, and played the whole game, it tooks about 8 hours of playtime to complete the game. I had fun with the story, Elisabeth saves the game, only during the fights she got disabled.

-Story: After 2 hours its going to get really interessting
    -Graphic: Bloom Blur wonderland... (don´t like it)
    -Sound was great
    -Not very hard to finish...
    -Playtime: 8h
    -Price: 5,99€ (steam deal)
  59. Sep 28, 2014
    This game is one of the most over-hyped and average (at best) games released in years. Pros: -It has a good story progression. Cons: -It's ugly as hell, shadows are half done, and everything is crapped by bloom and other dirty effects. I can put Vaseline on my screen if i want to repeat the majesty that is B:I in any game i own! -Game play is crap. Movement is rollerbladey, guns are boring and ineffectual, shooting is uninspired and map design is boring roller coaster ride.
    -Story is bad. It has endless amounts of holes in it, like all time travel crap.

This game is worse than most games released 10 years ago. It does not deserve the hype.
  60. Sep 30, 2014
    Probably the most gorgeous graphics and environment you will see in any game. Like one person said "mesmerising" and they are. I find myself so charmed by the surroundings that I just explore. That's the mark of something truly great. To watch a Hummingbird zip around your head or look at the floating city. It's just amazing, to say the least.The ambience and lighting in this game are second to none. The gameplay is equally good. Zipping around the floating city on rails and jumping off, is just plain fun. Fun is the best word for this game. It actually got a bad rap for the way it portrays Elizabeth as "supposedly" this helpless waif who depends on you for survival. Not so. Remember the period this is set in. Women were "kind of" like that in that era so the authors were just trying to be period correct. She is actually fiercely independent as well. She picks locks, she fights, she tosses you ammo, health, salts and is quite an asset. I would hardly call her a "helpless waif". Fantastic game, polished to perfection and it deserves every good thing people have to say about it.You'd be hard pressed to find a better game out there. It's worth every penny. It is Soooooo fun. Expand
  61. Oct 4, 2014
    Pros: -Mesmerizing graphics (It actually makes references to 1900's USA and has rather decent attention to detail.) Best played with decent GPU to maximize enjoyment
    -Unique and interesting plot (It is not a explain-everything-from-the-start game that requires players to explore to learn more. A nice satire of social problems. The ending requires some brain work to digest and should not
    be taken at face value, which makes it amazing. If my professor calls it great I ain't arguing.)
    -Subtle character development (Some argues that they have 'lousy' character which I object. Their actions and conversations speak little by little and build up through the game.)
    -Music (Just beautiful.)
    -Combat mechanics (From shooting to melee to using vigor, it opens up room for creativity in dealing with enemies)

Cons: -Combat experience (Limited weapon choice and upgrades for a FPS. The shield kind of rewarded players for reckless shooting and hiding.)
    -Lackluster interaction with NPCs (Other than Booker and Eliz, other characters are just part of the story rather than the game.)

Tips: Read up on 1900's history to better appreciate the plot. Slowly digest the story while playing, people who rush to criticize it usually fail to pause and think. It requires understanding of satire and sarcasm to see the plot's golden value,

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]