8.4

1. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess youI bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  2. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  4. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant. I forced

I forced myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  5. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a consoleBioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  6. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from beingFrom the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  7. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good

Cons:

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  9. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  10. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  11. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that wasdont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  13. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  14. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  15. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game.

I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  16. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. oing beyond "run and gun corridors," "monster-closet AIs" and static worlds, BioShock creates a living, unique and unpredictable FPS experience. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    Loved the atmosphere and the story, but the gameplay is EXTREMELY lacking.

Everything gameplay-wise is poorly designed, from the frantic looting to the poor puzzles and messy equipment window.
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    Well, this game is awful... why? VITA CHAMBER... I can not think of any other easiest game than this one... what's the point on playing on HARD difficulty if those damn vita chambers resurrect you anytime you die?!!?! I literally beated this game using the wrench 95% of the times, I even beated big daddies with the wrench... BORING!
  19. Jun 25, 2014
    ok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i canok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i can honestly say i had more fun play cod ghosts. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2012

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.