8.3

1. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    What's the big fuss about? I played 3hours without havin' one second of fun.
    Graphics are good, I don't like the cartoonish style ( I loved TF2's style).
    Story is entertaining till you understand that youre never gonna meet any characters on your road.
    Environment is exciting first 30min, then I got bored of it.
    Gameplay wise, the plasmids are fun at the first use, then they become boring.
    Gun have nothing special.
    Aswell, it's not linear enough for me, I don't like repeately coming back on my steps lost in those god forsaken tunnels, I was expecting more of a half life 2 'ish feel.
    Worst part is when you come back on yout steps, more ennemies replace the ones you already killed.
    The games main selling point is the background and the gameplay...the gameplay was for me boring, oh I'm supposed to combine plasmids and guns? well... I tried that and it felt fun onece, then the other 500 times it felt boring, I'd rather play serious sam if it's to run down corridors killing the same npcs over and over again with the same methods.
    5/10 and -2 for those who made a fuss about the game, and made me buy it...
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  4. Nov 9, 2011
    2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption is seen underwater. Is man truly innocent and can their crimes be washed away? Such sophisticated question was never asked before in a game, and "Bioshock" answers the prompt back with such epicness and horror, I HAD to give it a 10. GOTY noobs!! Expand
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  6. Nov 9, 2011
    Honestly didn't get the hype about this game. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story and the setting but the gameplay and overall experience just didn't cut it for me. I didn't think it was bad, far from it, but it's nowhere near as good as the critics make it out to be.The ending is especially bad.
  7. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphics are awesome, the style is unique, the game-play is extremely well balanced and paced between shooting, narrative and other activities like exploration and growing your character. The A.I is some of the best I have ever seen. But most importantly of all for me, is the way you can play the game however you want to. If you like to get in people faces with the shotgun and melee weapon you can do that, or you can stick with rapid fire weapons and high explosives, set traps, go stealthy, use the myriad of plasmids etc. Its just a fantastic and game and so spooky to boot. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite all time video games. If you like intelligent shooters then this is a must play video game. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2011
    Fascinating story line, interesting take on skill selection, and in-depth social commentary make this a great game. I play games for the stories, and I was quite entranced by this one. The graphics were also incredible.
  9. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  10. Jul 13, 2011
    This is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative and aid your combat very efficiently especially in harder difficulties. The gun aren't anything special, but they're much more fun once you've upgraded them. My personal favourite weapon is the fully upgraded shotgun; just going round blasting splicers heads off. One bad thing about the game is how its main mascot, (the bouncer big daddy) is only your enemy twice, in the medical pavilion, and in the big daddy training grounds. all the other times it comes as the less scary, "elite" version. A final bad hing about the game is how it is fairly short, it takes about 5-7 hours to complete.. Overall, the game is amazing, it never gets boring, I've completed it 5 times. once on survivor, thrice on medium, and once in easy. you won't regret buying it, i didn't. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2011
    This is amazing game. Very good Shooter + Nice RPG + Very Very amazing and addictive story = My favorite game :) All in this game is perfect. Sounds, models, weapons, locations..... Really all. I love this and advice You.
  12. Oct 12, 2011
    Just amazing! Quite possibly the best game i have ever played. Everything from the sounds and environment to the combat and story was stunningly well done. If you are in doubt, buy it.
  13. mez
    Dec 1, 2011
    I seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got above mediocre.

It's just a formulaic run and gun shooter. The missions often feel contrived and arbitrary, and are almost entirely based around finding random widgets in some far corner of the level (and there's an escort mission in there as well, ugh). While you're doing that you blast your way through waves of interchangeable enemies - almost all of whom run straight at you - using the usual array of FPS weapons. That's it. For all the game's highfalutin' concept, there's no depth whatsoever to the gameplay - just strafe and fire, strafe and fire. The much-heralded plasmids add very little. They're just guns with different animations. Shoot someone or set them on fire, it makes no difference.

The setting and story are above average, although the levels all look very similar and the Objectivism stuff is a bit undercooked - it's really just a standard trouble in paradise thing with some Ayn Rand inspired sound bites over the top. The diary tapes add some colour, but for some reason I couldn't make myself care about any of it. I found the twists predictable, and the single moral choice you have to make in the game (whether to harvest the little sisters or rescue them) has no bearing at all on the gameplay, only on which ending you get. It feels utterly meaningless.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the game and I so desperately wanted to love it, but its lineage can't hide the fact that it's just another bland FPS. I cannot understand what these huge scores and breathlessly uncritical reviews are based on. I almost feel like I haven't been playing the same game.
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2013
    Insanely overrated FPS. The gun-play is poor at best, the shotgun feels somewhat good but the rest of the weapons are disappointing. I suppose this is to force you to use the plasmids as well but they are mostly a disappointment with a few core ones you can use. The environment is interesting but the enemies quickly wear on you, a bunch of psychopaths running around that have somehow managed to survive and just wait for you to show up. The game feels pretentious, and throws a bunch of crap at you to try and seem deep and dark but the story is crap, especially the ending which was a bit of a joke. The final boss fight was decent but way too easy; even with minimal preparation I beat it in one go. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  19. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  20. Dec 23, 2010
    "A beautiful smooth veneer finish over a flawed, ultimately hollow core" would sum this title up for me perfectly. The setting and overall theme were done quite well, and the conveyance of exploring a now-ruined underwater dystopia is executed very well. To my eyes, that was where the excellence stopped, and the mediocrity begins.

The story holds up about as well as a cardboard cutout in
    a windstorm, as most of it is told not via in-game events but by picking up random tape recordings scattered throughout the ruins. There was one major plot twist, but by the time it occurs most people would have seen it coming anyway. The weapons, though reasonably balanced, were all pretty standard fare - nothing we haven't seen before. The plasmids, which should have really set the game apart, were only marginally useful save for the one or two strong ones; the rest were relegated to use only for the few virtual stop-gates that required their use for you to pass.

By the time I was done playing - which, by the way doesn't take all that long - and had followed the cookie-cutter "good" or "evil" path, I left with the feeling that I could have had much more. I think the initial reviews were made by journalists who played through the first hour or so of the game and were really just absorbing the theme and environment. Had they dug a bit deeper, they would have seen the shiny surface give way to the flaws that lurk underneath.
  21. Dec 9, 2012
    The story and setting are alright and when I first reviewed it here (said review since disappeared) I gave it an 8.

With time I've realised how dull and repetitive this game is (and also how much it depends on fetch quests) so I'm dropping it to a 4.
  22. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  23. Sep 25, 2011
    I do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaning that instead of having to think a while before you upgrade, you can just upgrade anything and still be fine. The enemies are similar to those in system shock 2's, the story is the same, even the gameplay is the same, and guess what the first weapon in BOTH games is? A WRENCH! Bioshock has pretty graphics, but graphics dont matter, the gameplay isnt amazing, it's impossible to die, and the allusion they tried to use was not sure what it exactly meant at times. Bioshock is pretty, but a little dumb in the head, system shock 2 is ugly, but its an older game, and there are graphic mods, and it is smart. i give system shock 2 a gold trophy filled with gummy bears, chocolate, and other yummy stuff. i give bioshock the same trophy, but made out of plastic, filled with brown water, and nothing else. Expand
  24. Jul 28, 2012
    I can understand why this game is thought of so highly by others. The world you descend into is fantastically engrossing, with perfectly executed period music and decorations. The story is a good, the graphics are decent, and the gameplay is fun enough.

But everything is ruined for me by one thing - those darn vita tubes. Basically there are tubes dotted about all over the levels and if
    you die you are respawned at the last tube you went past. The problem with this is that whatever damage you've dealt out to the enemies stays with them, so you don't lose anything from just dying over and over again until you finally defeat your foes. This makes a mockery of the whole game; you might as well attack the hardest enemies with your wrench and save your ammo because you'll just respawn with no negative effects.

This takes away all the suspense and fear from the game. Add to this enemies that respawn at random, a lack of weapons that are hideously balanced (a powered up wrench better than a shotgun?!), and a system of augmentations that don't really help all that much, and this is a game with so much potential and so much right that falls short of where it could have been.
  25. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant.

I forced
    myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  26. Apr 25, 2013
    I played for 4 hours and stopped playing. I'm not a big fan of FPS but I loved Bioshock Infinite so I wanted to try this one. Big disappointment.

There is no atmosphere or charm whatsoever, it starts out like a survival horror, and I liked that, but that feeling goes away very quickly. Then it feels like a grey post apocalyptic world that I've seen many times in other games. The city of
    Rapture is boring. The lack of music also brings down the atmosphere.

The plot is intriguing, and I wanted to know more about what the hell happened, but the characters are just so dull, I never felt any emotional connection to anyone. The character you play doesn't speak, it's like I'm controlling a robot or something, so I just don't care about him, I don't even know his name.

The graphics are nice, with plenty of detail, but everything is so grey that it doesn't matter.

Also this game doesn't like Windows 7 64 bits, I had plenty of problems before I could play this game decently.

Gameplay is ok, you have many weapons and plasmids, and you shoot people. But the enemies repeat a lot, and they aren't that much fun to fight. The hacking minigames are pointless and annoying, the upgrades and rpg elements are not very interesting.

So I guess I was entertained for 2 hours, and the other two hours I was expecting it would get better... it didn't
  27. May 11, 2013
    Maybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literally impossible (as they allow no path) unless you have an item. The storytelling and it's method appreciated, and the details in the music/fx are stellar, but that's all the compliments I can honestly give this game. Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2010
    I'm glad I bought this for only $5 on Steam. Any more than that and I would have felt ripped off. Great graphics, theme, setting and all but the game was just too repetitive and boring. It reminded me of an old arcade game but with a bit more depth added to it. Lame puzzles, the same enemies over and over, linear etc...

Meh...
  29. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  30. Jan 24, 2012
    One of the best shooters I have played.

I don't play many shooters, they just don't interest me, but Bioshock, with its disturbing world, nice story, told through audiologs, and a radio, and great use of conventional weapons and the plasmids, made a deep experience that offers much more than your standard shooter.
  31. Mar 8, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Graphics:10-Rapture looks great,awesome physics(using telekenisis,water and gasoline effects,blowing things with grenade launcher)awesame plasmid effects(like to see them on fire or stunned,fighting each other or fighting with target dummy,being attacked by security or flying with help of cyclone trap)

Story:9.5-Pretty good,great characters and plot,Rapture is one of the most rememberable places i've ever been to(figuratively).
    Gameplay:10-Simply the best,you can chose whether your gonna hack bots and cameras and get them attack enemies for you or you can do it yourself(more of fun).great combat mechanics,interesting idea which is used to maximum,and while closing to the end you are(really) going to need improved versions of weapons and plasmids.I put ''really'' in bracket because game is WAY TO EASY even on HARDest difficulty for more skilled players.But that's cool(you can turn it off on consoles).BUT PC RULES.
    Overall:10-BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED and i've played a whole lotta games.
  32. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  33. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  34. Mar 30, 2011
    I can't help but feel this game has been hipped a bit to much, yes it is a great game, but not a god sent.
    But i must accept that the involving set-up in which the game is set and some amazing twists can stay on top of your mind to make you think the entire game was gold, yet I can only say that i counted many moments of repetitiousness, and bland game time.
  35. Jan 13, 2012
    Bought during the steam xmas sales in 2008 and only played it last year. Really enjoyed it. Addictive gameplay, full captions, lovely grahpics for it's time and best of all, fun and satisfying gameplay.
  36. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, you will be intrigued, you will have loads and loads of fun!

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10
  37. Nov 20, 2011
    Nice but long for nothing.
    Well,its a nice underwater vintage city that is fun to explore for a will, but after a few hours, it feels like your standard fps. the story and voice acting is good .
    worth playing!
  38. Jan 13, 2014
    I don't like it. At first i thought i would enjoy this game but i barely finished it.

It have nice setting (something like 50s city on the floor of the ocean,really really cool) but its still just a zombie corridor (doom like) shooter with lots of backtracking. Shooting mechanics are also bad. Wasn't impressed with the story either. Too few enemy types.
  39. Oct 8, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare, little more than a watered-down (pun intended) System Shock 2, a visually outstanding but with an all too familiar story (Atlas is Polito, Fontaine is Shodan) and gameplay (security stations, turrets, cameras, Vita Chambers Quantum Bio Reconstruction Machines, etc.) overrated and over-hyped, but a decent shooter; nothing more.
  40. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  41. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  42. Oct 14, 2012
    Lo cierto es que estoy algo decepcionado con el juego. Me esperaba un Half-Life 2 submarino y me he encontrado con un juego correcto.
    El juego es tremendamente repetitivo y las misiones se reducen a un "ve a tal sitio y coge tal objeto o mata a tal tipo" , los combates estan bastante mejor gracias a los plásmidos pero todo el rollo de mejorarlos, cambiarlos o comprar equipamiento
    es demasiado engorroso con 8000 máquinas diferentes cada una para una función.
    La historia es interesante y mejora en el final del juego pero tampoco me ha entusiasmado.
    Gráficamente el motor es de sobra conocido por lo que tendremos buenos efectos de luz y personajes bien modelados.
    En definitiva un buen diseño y una gran ambientación pero demasiado repetitivo.
    GRAFICOS: 9 SONIDO: 8 JUGABILIDAD: 6,5 DURACION: 7
  43. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  44. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review" Platform: PC Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  45. Feb 2, 2012
    This game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. Thankfully the story comes across through gameplay and the two are integrated seamlessley rather than seperated like in many other games. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  46. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  47. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  48. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  49. Nov 28, 2012
    Boring, glitchy and pretty irritating.
    Also managed to screw up my saved games and after a while stopped running.
    I regret buying this game.
    One of the few titles I am sorry I spent money on.
  50. Dec 16, 2012
    What is so good about this game, I have no idea why everyone likes it. It's your typical first person shooter with crappy setting and guns and powerups that suck.
  51. Dec 22, 2012
    It's System Shock, but it's wearing clown makeup and it borrowed the gun mechanics of Serious Sam.

I understand why people like this game. But to me is seems like a bit of a goofy mess. The setting and enemies are hard to take seriously if you think about it for 30 seconds, which makes being scared or creeped out almost impossible. Rather than being visceral as one would expect from
    horror game most of the combat feels like it's lifted from an arcade shooter. The Ayn Rand philosophy that pervades the story is pretty anvilicious. Sometimes I think it's a parody of games that try to shoehorn in "deep" subtext. Most of the time I think it's just an egregious example of pretentious twaddle. The story is mostly dull and forgettable. I literally can't think of a single characters name at this time or remember a single thing about them or what they did.

About the only thing I really liked about it was the twist that explains all the things your character does that make no sense. I'm trying to avoid a spoiler here but my point is there's a bit of story near the end that works as part of the narrative, AND gets weirdly meta. It's glorious. I suppose the graphics deserve mention too. They were obviously a labor of love. They are detailed and at time haunting. I find the cartoonish character style absolutely horrid however.

I wanted to love this game, but even though Rapture is buried deep beneath the waves Bioshock is disappointingly shallow. I guess if you're young and never played the games this is a "spiritual successor" to you might find some value in it. But if your a fan of Looking Glass Studios type of game this will seem like a dull echo of their greatness.

I gave this game a 6 because it obviously has high production values. But overall it basically defines average. There wasn't really anything new here. Every good mechanic was borrowed from previous work in the field.
  52. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  53. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  54. May 12, 2013
    If you have ever played System Shock 2, you'll immediately notice the sumularities. From how plasmids are in a way exactly the same as the psionic powers, to the wrench as a melee weapon. It could have been equally good, if not better, but its recycled feeling and unprecise gunplay mechanics, it's a dragged down experience that easily makes for one of the most over rated games in history.
  55. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  56. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  57. Jun 22, 2013
    The beginning ist really great: atmosfere, the background, philosophy. But after 2-3 hours the game becomes average and you begin to see the weak sides of this game: you are immortal, bad controlling, few enemies, childish dialogues. there are much better shooter out there
  58. DME
    Nov 5, 2012
    BioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVE and reloading weapons both use the same key, which may cause you to randomly throw away precious EVE when you meant to reload. Death doesn't punish you, because damage dealt to enemies remains persistent between lives. And the last annoyance I have with BioShock is how the game likes to screw everything up when you try to minimize it or switch windows while it's running on your computer. Apart from those four problems, BioShock is very engrossing. Great narrative and voice-acting, great level-design, varied gameplay, and awesome atmosphere. I even liked how the game kept ammunition and supplies very scarce. It forces you to conserve what you have and think before you act. All-in-all, I highly recommend BioShock, Expand
  59. Sep 27, 2012
    Its now 2012 and i still haven't played a game with an original story and atmosphere like this. The opening scenes of Bioshock, where you crash and discover Rapture, are still one of my favorites in any game or film.
  60. Sep 30, 2010
    Omgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies were just fun to listen to. The music in game just brought you into the action. I loved hearing the old time music in the back ground in alot of places. It had a unique feel to it. It's one of those games you have to play twice to full understand everything, its like a movie and you get to this one part in the movie and then it all makes sense. It is a great game! It is a must have for any first person shooter fan! Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the
    plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  62. Sep 30, 2010
    BioShock is in no way revolutionary, its a standard linear FPS set in a non standard environment. The physics in this game are possibly the worst Ive seen in a modern game. The storyline is good but that's about the extent of this games genius.
  63. Jul 31, 2011
    The game was good, nothing amazingly special as the critic scores indicate but good. The graphics are great, the game itself is very unique compared to other fps's and mixes rpg elements into the gameplay allowing one to upgrade ones weapons and powers although the game feels repetitive at times, the game also has 3 endings which is unusual for a Fps , the story in my opinion was average and not that great and was told basically just through radio and old tapes this is not a bad thing, its just that it shouldn't have just been told this way as it was not very difficult to miss out on hearing important information, i believe they should have used bit more cinematics and cut scenes to tell the story, the main part of the story i enjoyed was the actual ending based on how many little sisters you save. I liked the idea of having the setting underwater but gets very tedious and boring when you reach the half way point in the game as there is little variation and one sometimes forgets one is underwater. Pros: Unique, long, great graphics, good ending. Cons: Repetitive setting as well as gameplay at times, story wasn't told clearly enough. 8.4/10. Expand
  64. Oct 16, 2010
    Odna iz samyh atmosfernyh igr v kotoruyu mne prishlos' poigrat'. Original'nyi stil', vyverennyi do melochei. Kak shuter igra ves'ma neploha, osobenno za schet plazmidov - mnogie bitvy bylo bol'shoe udovol'stvie pereigryvat' vnov'. Prohodil na samom vysokom urovne slojnosti, chto kuda interesnee, chem na standartnom (chto nablyudaetsya prakticheski vo vseh sovremennyh igrah).
  65. Nov 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock first struck me as yet another Half-Life 2 imitator. Iâ Expand
  66. Nov 5, 2010
    Total immersion in this game, with a "steam punk american sixties" atmosphere that you can compare to Fallout.
    A fps with some original ideas and a scary/humorous atmosphere. Hack hellicobots, kill the little sister or get killed by Big daddy, upgrade your genes, shoot the nurses and try to stay sane in mind! a must have game. ho and beware the leakage!
  67. Nov 17, 2011
    Bioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of delivering interesting information and backstory about the game's world and setting to the player, without getting boring.

The combat and gameplay in this game were also superb. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many potentially unique playstyles and techniques for a player to have in the RPG/FPS format. There are just so many ways to approach combat in this game... it really is very well designed. I found myself wanting to replay the game just to experiment with the different weapons, upgrades, and enhancements your character can acquire during travels of the wonderous world of Rapture. This is probably the best game I've played since Half-Life 2.
  68. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  69. Dec 22, 2010
    Though the game play was great, the story is by far it's strong point. It is by far the best story i have experienced in a video game. Fairly decent sized campaign and a huge amount of fun regardless. This game certainly deserves its rating. A must play for anyone who likes video games.
  70. Dec 26, 2010
    A great game, though the pacing is crazy fast and you never really "get a break" for the longest time. Everyone that played it on a console thinks its the best thing ever, though you'll be thoroughly unimpressed if you've played pc games for years (especially System Shock 2 since this is just a dumbed down version that was made way too easy).
  71. Jan 2, 2011
    The game is very well done with much potential. And 2K did A great job putting it to the max of it's potential. The only fact that made me give it an 8 is that feels the same as any other shooter. It doesn't feel different. And way too easy. I do recommend it though for just a relaxing easy game, with a great twist!
  72. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  73. Nov 4, 2011
    Bioshock may not live up to system shock 2, but it's still a great game. my problem with this game is it tries to combine shooter gameplay and RPG elements, but did not do a good job on either side. In a intense shooter you expect to be able to aim for a critical shot, and for rpg elements, you expect something that is truly your own play style. The shooter mechanics in bioshock is average. There are no covers, no sniper rifles. All you do just go straight to shoot bullets. There are a couple of powers (Plasmids) that you can use, but only 2~3 of them are actually useful. Comparing to system shock 2 which has a very solid RPG mechanics with minor shooter gameplay, this one feels a little bit cheap. Although the twisted story is somewhat impressive, the two moral paths in this game just does not make any sense (harvesting one little sister suddenly makes me evil?). The only aspect that levitates this game from good to great is the incredible atmosphere. overall, it's a 8 out 10, worth playing through once. Expand
  74. Jan 11, 2011
    I see why this game won game of the year. It is full of original content and innovative ideas I'd never seen anywhere else. Also, I love how they invented objectivism. Also little sisters are hot.
  75. Oct 12, 2011
    One of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarely do) Still love the brilliant dialogue and the way the cut scene moments actually work within the game, and dont cover the lack of depth and immersion AKA (The witcher 2 etc etc) but add to it. Absolutely brilliant. Expand
  76. Feb 2, 2011
    Favorite game of all time.

BioShock has one of if not the best story-lines in a game. The steampunk, 1930's are deco style of the city was amazing. All the political undertones from the story and characters made it really interesting.

I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take
    in the story. Expand
  77. Nov 23, 2011
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Okay, first off, I'm starting with what some reviewers say of BioShock: It's an AWFULLY bad copy of an older game; System Shock 2.
    Now, if I'm right, BioShock was an attempt to "Modernize" System Shock 2's formula, and they've done it quite well: The story is simply System Shock 2's story with another paint on it, they created a
    quite creepy atmosphere, they have GREAT artwork, sublime voiceacting, and much better gunplay, but they missed the key element:
    The RPG mechanics are gone...
    The RPG mechanics were what made System Shock 2 so good for replaying, and its what BioShock lacks.

But, now I've got that out of the way, for the actual review:
    BioShock is a FPS with a twist; genetic abilities. With that mean, you can go all Dark Side on your enemies by shooting lightning out of your hands. See what I'm getting at?

Graphically, the graphics were great for when it released: Beautiful water effects, among them. But, I don't care about graphics, so no further comment there.

Gameplay wise, the game is cool:
    You get some nice "Tools" to play with, and quite some genetic powers to toy with, so you'll be in for a treat. Each weapon can be modified. I'm saying this becaus it mostly has pretty outcomes for your guns.
    Now, besides fine gunplay, the gameplay, is quite bad.
    Even on hard, the game is terribly easy, not punishing you for dying; only reviving you at some station.
    In System Shock 2(Sorry for this), you really lost money; something that could hurt you in the game(because money was used to hack stuff to, and repair things, etc..>).
    Also something that lacks gameplaywise, is some depth. No, there's nothing wrong with mindless shooters, I enjoy them a lot, but BioShock was not intended to be a mindless shooter, it was clearly intended as a game with deep gameplay. The thing that made System Shock 2 so great, besides a good story, was the incredibly deep gameplay, being able to replay the game multiple times, and get a quite different experience. BioShock doesn't have that.

Storywise, people who have played System Shock 2 will know it. I won't spoil anything, but it's great, and awesome. But, as with all stories; it'll be fresh for only one time.

Now, after you read this, dont assume that BioShock's a bad game. It's not. It is bad for what it had to live up to.
  78. Sep 14, 2011
    I actually found this game quite boring. Its starts out really well, with a nice story to set the mood, but the further you get into it, the whole magic aspect kills the gameplay. If you like that kind of shooters, i can understand the score, but i ended up playing it solely for the story.
  79. Oct 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, hands down. 2K never fails to please. Firstly, the plot is AMAZING. The voice acting is extremely well done, better than most games these days. The gameplay is really cool and new, with the plasmids and everything. The graphics are good to look at, despite some texture errors as the level loads (but that's expected). The music and general ambiance is really cool, making it one of the most immersive games I've ever played. If you're into good story, and a generally good experience rather than just looking for explosions (*Cough Call of Duty Cough*) then this is DEFINITELY the game for you. As a side note, I have to say I am sick to death of people on metacritic **** about either the game crashing or about the "huge score that the game doesn't deserve". If you think the game deserves a 7, give it a damn 7 and not a 0 just to bring the average score down...an average is the COLLECTIVE opinion of everyone. Those people giving it a **** score to change the big score need to think more about everyone else...your opinion isn't the one that should be shown. Expand
  80. Oct 21, 2011
    A very sound game with some unique features but too short for my liking and the ending is poor. On the other hand, the setting is visually stunning, the story is well told and thoughtful (especially the tapes) and the plasmid idea is interesting. One gets the impression that mixing philosophical and moral issues with liberal amounts of violence tends to confuse people. This kind of thing only works once and even then not for everyone. A shooter is a shooter no matter how you dress it up, but Bioshock dresses it up extremely well and is definitely a game that is worth playing and that will be remembered. I didn't find that much replayability myself, but when I did play I was thoroughly entertained, except perhaps for the ending. An FPS devotee should not miss it. Expand
  81. Mar 14, 2011
    Another fine game I have played, with the concept of an underwater city filled with splicers, big daddies, and many other dangerous things. The gameplay is alright, the style is amazing, the characters are cool, the storyline is great, and the non-Alantis underwater city concept is awesome (to me at least). A definite play for your PC or gaming system (except the Wii).
  82. Dec 10, 2011
    Absolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I had none :-( but am also fairly adept at fixing problems in games when they arise ....anyway if you have never played this game and are wanting an unforgettable experience - this is it...for those who like to nitpick at games and think you have an insight into everything...please just skip it and save us your laughable comments on these review threads. Expand
  83. Apr 10, 2011
    This is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game is as cinematic and complex (in a good way) as anything I have ever played. I have played through at least 4 or 5 times, all trying different ways of going about situations in the game. Also, the mechanics in the game are unique and extremely rewarding, whether you be freezing enemies with ice, are burning them to a crisp with fire, plasmids add another layer of "creativity," to what was an already astounding experience. I can't tell you enough about this game, and it would really be in your best interest to pick this game up, and see why BioShock made gaming history! Expand
  84. Apr 6, 2011
    A fun game, but a little on the short side. Managed to scare me (and people watching me play) several times! Visually beautiful, and the sound track was great too.
  85. Apr 20, 2011
    Very good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamers should play! Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2011
    How do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonance of sheer destroyed beauty laying before as you wander through the world intrepidly. This dual atmosphere is a constant throughout the entire game, which is a good thing, as it keeps itself consistent, unlike other titles i could name which tried something similar but came up short, thus breaking the illusion that it had. The story is nothing short of brilliant, with your entire life being revealed before you to be none other then the artificial workings of someone else, breaking the characters and your own perceptions of what you really knew. Voice acting is also top notch, with slick accents that are spot on, mature sounding voices, voices which sound real and have some authenticity to their tone and behaviour, and fit the characters their assigned to. You may be thinking "Well it seems like the sound and story are the most effective parts of it", but you'd be wrong. The gameplay sacrifices nothing as there is rather deep customization to skills and powers you can gain. The ways you can go about and manipulate the environments and enemies can only be described as vast and dynamic, would you prefer to sneak past a foe or clobber them over the head with a wrench? Carelessly walk into an open area or set traps with your weapons/powers in some doorways or on the floor before continueing to search the area? Hack a sentry to help you in a fight with multiple enemies or maybe use a power to make one of them fight for you? The possibilities and combinations are nearly endless and it only gets even better when i say that it's all dynamic. That's right, there are very few scripted enemy paths or actions compared to the huge amount that is unscripted. The developers managed to create a living, breathing, fully organic world that feels like it could be real and that you're some nameless joe exploring what was once a glorious city that is decaying because of the very foundation of it's demeanor. This is a revolutionary game which is worthy of the title of "Art" in the highest sense of the term. Expand
  87. Jun 8, 2013
    This is an epic beginning to an epic franchise. It's got story. It's got action. It's got puzzles. It's got everything! It just doesn't have its story told through videos. Even better: The story and interactions happen while you're playing. You save the game whenever you want. The graphics are excellent and the controls too. A diverse range of weapons and equipments. Splendid!
  88. May 25, 2012
    I'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give life to the characters. As mentioned already, there are a lot of cool and different special powers, buffs, and types of ammo which add loads of variation to combat, hence keeping it fun and fresh for the most part. The hacking mini-game is also immensely fun. This is perhaps the best hacking mini-game I have ever had to play, because I almost never got bored of it. The game also has an interesting backstory with some memorable characters and quotes. Heck, everything in the game has personality, even the vending machines. However, despite the good story, the storytelling itself is a bit average, and this brings me to the weaknesses. The reason I say the storytelling is average is because most of the story you uncover by listening to various audio tapes instead of experiencing the story as you go along. Another minor weakness is that I felt the health and EVE bars were a bit too small (even with upgrades). Whenever I fought 2 or more enemies, or one strong enemy, I literally had to keep pressing the medkit button to keep healing myself repeatedly, which takes away from the fun of combat. Likewise for the EVE bar as well. After a couple of shots of your special powers, your character had to inject himself with more EVE. And the last weakness I'll mention is that the level design in certain areas was kind of subpar. The colours and the environments are nice, but it's the structure itself that I have an issue with. Like some areas looked too repetitive whichever way you went (Arcadia anyone?) and also some other areas were a bit too big and confusing (Fort Frolic anyone?). And the map wasn't particularly too helpful when navigating through multiple floors. So, despite the few weaknesses the game has, I think its strengths by far outweigh them, because it generally manages to deliver the fun factor (although I find the average critic score to be a tad too high). Expand
  89. May 17, 2011
    A towering achievement. The meticulous attention to detail, deep combat options, and extremely engaging setting make for an unforgettable experience. The people who give this game anything other than the positive review it deserves should probably go get stomped on by a Big Daddy for not realizing the beauty of this game.
  90. Jul 14, 2011
    I found Bioshock very entertaining to some point. They should've done way more with the amazing water effects they had, but I guess Bioshock 2 made up for that part.

After Fort Frolic, for me, the game fell apart and became boring, until the plot twist of course. But after Sander Cohen's part, the game became extremely repetitive and boring, even when playing on hardest difficulty.
  91. Jun 27, 2011
    Shortly before the release of Bioshock I saw a teaser video of the introduction to Rapture commercial by Andrew Ryan in the start of the game, I hadnt seen any of the game play footage yet but it instantly caught my attention that the game was going to be well written but more importantly that it would featured some actual substance in the story. Every time I have played through Bioshock I have taken something different from the story and it has since made me think differently to politics and society. To those who have played Bioshock I would highly recommend watching some interviews with Ayn Rand on Youtube. Although I certainly dont agree with the woman, she make some interesting thoughts and gives us something to think about after the game. I never found the game play to be as bad and many claim, although I did play it on a good PC and had the freedom a mouse. The story is also well integrated into the game play from looting your way through Rapture and becoming the parasite that Ryan claims. While playing I did find myself addicted to finding plasmids and further becoming apart of the drug addition themes of the fall of Rapture. The simple fact of Bioshocks story containing snippets of philosophy means that its miles ahead of the dumbass mediocre storylines that makes up most of FPS games in the industry. Atmosphere, sound, and setting are nothing short of brilliant. The art deco is also original for video games. The 3rd act of the game sags, unfortunately the story feels rushed and becomes uninteresting. The last boss was incredibly lame and the ending cinematic I felt was a joke. Its actually disappointing that 2K felt they needed to add that unneeded twist rather then simply depending on what was interesting to begin with. The Art, design, sound, philosophical elements and story integration, and RPG elements in the game play make Bioshock a game that is ahead of its time. The 3rd act of the game is the only set back to it becoming a true master piece. Bioshock is a gem of the 7th generation of videos games. Expand
  92. Jan 1, 2012
    I played the best games (like Age of Empire, Half-Life, Red Alert, Call of Duty, Civilizion III...) and i think that this videogames merits to stay on this podium!
  93. Dec 6, 2012
    Until this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers as well as ammo-changeable guns is gameplay heaven. The hacking mini-game is fun, but can get old after a while. Now onto the negatives... The graphics are decent, but look very low-res in some parts of the game, including particle effects and water. The physics are not so good, as it's unrealistic and has low fps. The animations can be iffy here and there. Newer PC's have a very high chance of messing with the game - mouse acceleration issues, settings that don't stay consistent, likelihood of freezing and crashing, etc. Overall, this game is one of a kind. The sequel isn't as good, but still enjoyable. Expand
  94. Jul 3, 2011
    Really good game! The graphics are amazing and I loved the gameplay, anyone who enjoys FPS games should play it. The characters are unique and challenging. Can't wait to get into Bioshock 2.
  95. Jul 10, 2011
    Excellent graphics, the world/level design is breathtaking, and storyline is engaging, urging you on for more to find out what happened to all those characters, the city, even though much of exposition came from audio recordings littered throughout the world. Plasmids allow for some interesting interactions with the surrounding (disabling security systems, destroying traps, melting ice, picking up things via force-pull-like ability) although a select few does seem significantly more useful than the others. The enemy exhibits some interesting behaviour (jumping into the water to get rid of fire, rushing to heal themselves, teleporting) but generally take you straight-on, although they do get tougher as the game progresses, there's not a great variety in combat. Weapons are great fun. The moral choices are relatively simplistic. Tonics are also a bit unbalanced in the sense that some are obviously more useful than the others but does add variety to the gameplay. Hacking can get a bit repetitive (feels like you play pipe-dream every 10 minutes or so) although it was interesting at first. All in all, I really liked the game and won't hesitate to recommend this to others (not sure why there are 168 negative reviews). Expand
  96. Oct 10, 2011
    I usually avoid deep story driven games because my time is limited, and my memory is poor. Bioshock is a game that was suggested to me by a few friends, and had received critical praise, so I finally gave in. After an initial disaster with the Telekinesis plasmid almost made me quit, I stuck through the gameâ
  97. Jun 13, 2012
    BioShock is a really good game, but how it got a 9.6 is beyond me. The game looks great and plays decent, however it housed a lackluster story line which offered very little to the "survival horror" aspect that the game was attempting to accomplish. Now, I'm not saying that it was a bad title, in fact it's far from that, because it still managed to keep my attention. I'm merely questioning the high metascore the game received. Expand
  98. Jul 19, 2011
    Just registered to thumb up mcremi's review lol, though I won't give it a so low score.
    It's good looking, yes, but the gameplay mechanics are kinda boring and repetitive. You're in a small room, the doors suddenly closes, a bunch of enemies all looking the same appears, and so on.
    I'm sure the developers only worked on the graphics and forgot to make a game with them.

Reviewers that gave
    it 100/100 should do a different job, like in a coal mine or something... Expand
  99. Jul 27, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. Every game played since has had to live up to its standards. Amazing ending, mind-blowing plot-twists, spectacular artwork. Creative gameplay that goes above and beyond traditional FPS. astounding.
  100. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is not Half Life. This game is not CoD or Halo, and therefore does not rely on online play to prop it up. This game is not an RPG. If you want to play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion, then play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion. Some people think that this game is terrible because monsters jump out at you and make you soil yourself. Some people think it's awful that this game is so gripping that they had to force themselves to complete the game twice in one week. Some people think that killing little girls is a bit yawn worthy (personally, I find that a little worrying). Some people can't stand that in this horror game, there is no end to the enemies. Some people complain because 6 weapons (each with two secondary firing modes), 11 varieties of magic spells, and 32 varieties of customisation just aren't enough for an FPS. So given what this game isn't, and all the reasons it's a rubbish game, why should you play? Because it's fun. The storyline is frankly fantastic. It's so simple, yet so horrifying. At times this game makes the player want to throw away the controls and just say "No. No no no no no." because the game makes the player feel like they're the one being controlled. Like you've sat on a rollercoaster ride, been strapped in, then a 300lb pervert with a shotgun sits next to you with a grin. Now for the serious part of the review: The sound's fantastically detailed - everything makes a sound. The artwork is superbly done, with every room uniquely designed so it doesn't feel like walking through the same dungeon over and over again. The game play allows the user to decide how much they want to play this as a straight forward shooter, or explore and find out more about the story. You only ever meet one character face to face in the entire game. And by this point, you really don't want to. Everyone else act as overlords speaking into your radio, manipulating your actions. This once the horror of the game has died down a little, the insanity of the game can become creepily fun. It gets to quite satisfying to beat a splicers face in with a wrench. This game does not in any way lack in detail. While there are only 6 basic enemies in the game, each one comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each wielding something to bash your brains in with. And it has possibly the best nemeses I've encountered in a game. But... The game does, indeed, have no online play. If you don't go out of your way, or don't replay the game, a lot of the plot points will be lost on you (like if you watched Star Wars, and the entire cloud city section were cut). Some of the physics are glitchy (due to minor clipping issues), meaning that occasionally, tripping over a crisp packet will cause it to team rocket into the air. Whilst regenerating health doesn't have a look-in, there is the fact that death on this game is more an inconvenience as you re-spawn instantly [but is this really much different to constantly saving and reloading?] Despite the people who say "I didn't have enough ammo D:", by the end you'll probably have cash and armaments coming out your diving boots, as well as half a dozen secondary fire modes you don't know what to do with. You cannot have both a plasmid and a gun readied at the same time (this is fixed in Bioshock 2). A neat little arrow always tells you where to go next. While this makes the game easier - it sometimes feels more like the game game is a long, long game of follow the sodding arrow. But on the other hand, it does increase the feeling that you're there to do the characters in the game's bidding, and that you've got no real control. So there you have it. 10/10 for graphics. 10/10 for story. 10/10 for fun (I've managed to complete the game about 7 times and it's still fun to send splicers sprawling) 8/10 for QA - there are some issues there. This game isn't perfect. 9/10 for the details (Come on. How many other shooters have a fortune teller, corpses in bathtubs, a forest at the bottom of the ocean, and vast cityscapes complete with individually tailored neon signs out of every window). Much as it's frowned upon to say this - but if you play this expecting a re-run of your favourite railshooter, straight RPG, or online repetitive CoD battle, then expect to be disappointed. If despite instant regenerations, falling into mountains of cash and guns, and the ability to go back and one-hit kill all those wretched first level enemies for goodies, you still don't have enough weaponry. - then the problem is possibly that the player is bad at shooters, rather than a bad game. The difficulty can easily be turned up at any point. Instant re-spawns can be turned off. And if you don't like the plasmids, then don't use them. P.s. Play this game in the dark. And get the sequel. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.