8.4

1. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepestIt is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  2. Nov 7, 2010
    I'm glad I bought this for only $5 on Steam. Any more than that and I would have felt ripped off. Great graphics, theme, setting and all but the game was just too repetitive and boring. It reminded me of an old arcade game but with a bit more depth added to it. Lame puzzles, the same enemies over and over, linear etc...

Meh...
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare, little more than a watered-down (pun intended) System Shock 2, a visually outstanding but with an all too familiar story (Atlas is Polito, Fontaine is Shodan) and gameplay (security stations, turrets, cameras, Vita Chambers Quantum Bio Reconstruction Machines, etc.) overrated and over-hyped, but a decent shooter; nothing more.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Okay, first off, I'm starting with what some reviewers say of BioShock: It's an AWFULLY bad copy of an older game; System Shock 2.
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Now, if I'm right, BioShock was an attempt to "Modernize" System Shock 2's formula, and they've done it quite well: The story is simply System Shock 2's story with another paint on it, they created a quite creepy atmosphere, they have GREAT artwork, sublime voiceacting, and much better gunplay, but they missed the key element:
    The RPG mechanics are gone...
    The RPG mechanics were what made System Shock 2 so good for replaying, and its what BioShock lacks.

But, now I've got that out of the way, for the actual review:
    BioShock is a FPS with a twist; genetic abilities. With that mean, you can go all Dark Side on your enemies by shooting lightning out of your hands. See what I'm getting at?

Graphically, the graphics were great for when it released: Beautiful water effects, among them. But, I don't care about graphics, so no further comment there.

Gameplay wise, the game is cool:
    You get some nice "Tools" to play with, and quite some genetic powers to toy with, so you'll be in for a treat. Each weapon can be modified. I'm saying this becaus it mostly has pretty outcomes for your guns.
    Now, besides fine gunplay, the gameplay, is quite bad.
    Even on hard, the game is terribly easy, not punishing you for dying; only reviving you at some station.
    In System Shock 2(Sorry for this), you really lost money; something that could hurt you in the game(because money was used to hack stuff to, and repair things, etc..>).
    Also something that lacks gameplaywise, is some depth. No, there's nothing wrong with mindless shooters, I enjoy them a lot, but BioShock was not intended to be a mindless shooter, it was clearly intended as a game with deep gameplay. The thing that made System Shock 2 so great, besides a good story, was the incredibly deep gameplay, being able to replay the game multiple times, and get a quite different experience. BioShock doesn't have that.

Storywise, people who have played System Shock 2 will know it. I won't spoil anything, but it's great, and awesome. But, as with all stories; it'll be fresh for only one time.

Now, after you read this, dont assume that BioShock's a bad game. It's not. It is bad for what it had to live up to.
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as manyawesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of lightThe setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  8. May 17, 2011
    A towering achievement. The meticulous attention to detail, deep combat options, and extremely engaging setting make for an unforgettable experience. The people who give this game anything other than the positive review it deserves should probably go get stomped on by a Big Daddy for not realizing the beauty of this game.
  9. Jul 14, 2011
    I found Bioshock very entertaining to some point. They should've done way more with the amazing water effects they had, but I guess Bioshock 2 made up for that part.

After Fort Frolic, for me, the game fell apart and became boring, until the plot twist of course. But after Sander Cohen's part, the game became extremely repetitive and boring, even when playing on hardest difficulty.
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  11. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars

06/06/13

Fun factor :

Control and gameplay:

I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  12. Dec 22, 2012
    To all people complaining about Vita-chamber and the game being easy: YOU CAN DISABLE VITA-CHAMBERS IN THE OPTIONS MENU, also YOU HAVE 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  14. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  16. Jun 22, 2013
    The beginning ist really great: atmosfere, the background, philosophy. But after 2-3 hours the game becomes average and you begin to see the weak sides of this game: you are immortal, bad controlling, few enemies, childish dialogues. there are much better shooter out there
  17. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a 'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  18. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  19. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphicsOne of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphics are awesome, the style is unique, the game-play is extremely well balanced and paced between shooting, narrative and other activities like exploration and growing your character. The A.I is some of the best I have ever seen. But most importantly of all for me, is the way you can play the game however you want to. If you like to get in people faces with the shotgun and melee weapon you can do that, or you can stick with rapid fire weapons and high explosives, set traps, go stealthy, use the myriad of plasmids etc. Its just a fantastic and game and so spooky to boot. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite all time video games. If you like intelligent shooters then this is a must play video game. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2011
    Fascinating story line, interesting take on skill selection, and in-depth social commentary make this a great game. I play games for the stories, and I was quite entranced by this one. The graphics were also incredible.
  21. Jul 13, 2011
    This is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative andThis is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative and aid your combat very efficiently especially in harder difficulties. The gun aren't anything special, but they're much more fun once you've upgraded them. My personal favourite weapon is the fully upgraded shotgun; just going round blasting splicers heads off. One bad thing about the game is how its main mascot, (the bouncer big daddy) is only your enemy twice, in the medical pavilion, and in the big daddy training grounds. all the other times it comes as the less scary, "elite" version. A final bad hing about the game is how it is fairly short, it takes about 5-7 hours to complete.. Overall, the game is amazing, it never gets boring, I've completed it 5 times. once on survivor, thrice on medium, and once in easy. you won't regret buying it, i didn't. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2011
    This is amazing game. Very good Shooter + Nice RPG + Very Very amazing and addictive story = My favorite game :) All in this game is perfect. Sounds, models, weapons, locations..... Really all. I love this and advice You.
  23. Oct 12, 2011
    Just amazing! Quite possibly the best game i have ever played. Everything from the sounds and environment to the combat and story was stunningly well done. If you are in doubt, buy it.
  24. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance toThe developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic toThe only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  27. Jan 13, 2014
    I don't like it. At first i thought i would enjoy this game but i barely finished it.

It have nice setting (something like 50s city on the floor of the ocean,really really cool) but its still just a zombie corridor (doom like) shooter with lots of backtracking. Shooting mechanics are also bad. Wasn't impressed with the story either. Too few enemy types.
  28. Dec 22, 2012
    It's System Shock, but it's wearing clown makeup and it borrowed the gun mechanics of Serious Sam.

I understand why people like this game. But to me is seems like a bit of a goofy mess. The setting and enemies are hard to take seriously if you think about it for 30 seconds, which makes being scared or creeped out almost impossible. Rather than being visceral as one would expect from horror game most of the combat feels like it's lifted from an arcade shooter. The Ayn Rand philosophy that pervades the story is pretty anvilicious. Sometimes I think it's a parody of games that try to shoehorn in "deep" subtext. Most of the time I think it's just an egregious example of pretentious twaddle. The story is mostly dull and forgettable. I literally can't think of a single characters name at this time or remember a single thing about them or what they did.

About the only thing I really liked about it was the twist that explains all the things your character does that make no sense. I'm trying to avoid a spoiler here but my point is there's a bit of story near the end that works as part of the narrative, AND gets weirdly meta. It's glorious. I suppose the graphics deserve mention too. They were obviously a labor of love. They are detailed and at time haunting. I find the cartoonish character style absolutely horrid however.

I wanted to love this game, but even though Rapture is buried deep beneath the waves Bioshock is disappointingly shallow. I guess if you're young and never played the games this is a "spiritual successor" to you might find some value in it. But if your a fan of Looking Glass Studios type of game this will seem like a dull echo of their greatness.

I gave this game a 6 because it obviously has high production values. But overall it basically defines average. There wasn't really anything new here. Every good mechanic was borrowed from previous work in the field.
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    I played for 4 hours and stopped playing. I'm not a big fan of FPS but I loved Bioshock Infinite so I wanted to try this one. Big disappointment.

There is no atmosphere or charm whatsoever, it starts out like a survival horror, and I liked that, but that feeling goes away very quickly. Then it feels like a grey post apocalyptic world that I've seen many times in other games. The city of Rapture is boring. The lack of music also brings down the atmosphere.

The plot is intriguing, and I wanted to know more about what the hell happened, but the characters are just so dull, I never felt any emotional connection to anyone. The character you play doesn't speak, it's like I'm controlling a robot or something, so I just don't care about him, I don't even know his name.

The graphics are nice, with plenty of detail, but everything is so grey that it doesn't matter.

Also this game doesn't like Windows 7 64 bits, I had plenty of problems before I could play this game decently.

Gameplay is ok, you have many weapons and plasmids, and you shoot people. But the enemies repeat a lot, and they aren't that much fun to fight. The hacking minigames are pointless and annoying, the upgrades and rpg elements are not very interesting.

So I guess I was entertained for 2 hours, and the other two hours I was expecting it would get better... it didn't
  30. May 11, 2013
    Maybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literallyMaybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literally impossible (as they allow no path) unless you have an item. The storytelling and it's method appreciated, and the details in the music/fx are stellar, but that's all the compliments I can honestly give this game. Expand
  31. Nov 9, 2011
    Honestly didn't get the hype about this game. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story and the setting but the gameplay and overall experience just didn't cut it for me. I didn't think it was bad, far from it, but it's nowhere near as good as the critics make it out to be.The ending is especially bad.
  32. Nov 9, 2011
    2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption is seen underwater. Is man truly innocent and can their crimes be washed away? Such sophisticated question was never asked before in a game, and "Bioshock" answers the prompt back with such epicness and horror, I HAD to give it a 10. GOTY noobs!! Expand
  33. Dec 9, 2012
    The story and setting are alright and when I first reviewed it here (said review since disappeared) I gave it an 8.

With time I've realised how dull and repetitive this game is (and also how much it depends on fetch quests) so I'm dropping it to a 4.
  34. Nov 20, 2011
    Nice but long for nothing.
    Well,its a nice underwater vintage city that is fun to explore for a will, but after a few hours, it feels like your standard fps. the story and voice acting is good .
    worth playing!
  35. Oct 14, 2012
    Lo cierto es que estoy algo decepcionado con el juego. Me esperaba un Half-Life 2 submarino y me he encontrado con un juego correcto.
    El juego es tremendamente repetitivo y las misiones se reducen a un "ve a tal sitio y coge tal objeto o mata a tal tipo" , los combates estan bastante mejor gracias a los plásmidos pero todo el rollo de mejorarlos, cambiarlos o comprar equipamiento es demasiado engorroso con 8000 máquinas diferentes cada una para una función.
    La historia es interesante y mejora en el final del juego pero tampoco me ha entusiasmado.
    Gráficamente el motor es de sobra conocido por lo que tendremos buenos efectos de luz y personajes bien modelados.
    En definitiva un buen diseño y una gran ambientación pero demasiado repetitivo.
    GRAFICOS: 9 SONIDO: 8 JUGABILIDAD: 6,5 DURACION: 7
  36. Dec 16, 2012
    What is so good about this game, I have no idea why everyone likes it. It's your typical first person shooter with crappy setting and guns and powerups that suck.
  37. May 12, 2013
    If you have ever played System Shock 2, you'll immediately notice the sumularities. From how plasmids are in a way exactly the same as the psionic powers, to the wrench as a melee weapon. It could have been equally good, if not better, but its recycled feeling and unprecise gunplay mechanics, it's a dragged down experience that easily makes for one of the most over rated games in history.
  38. Sep 30, 2010
    BioShock is in no way revolutionary, its a standard linear FPS set in a non standard environment. The physics in this game are possibly the worst Ive seen in a modern game. The storyline is good but that's about the extent of this games genius.
  39. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, thisSimply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  40. Jan 24, 2012
    One of the best shooters I have played.

I don't play many shooters, they just don't interest me, but Bioshock, with its disturbing world, nice story, told through audiologs, and a radio, and great use of conventional weapons and the plasmids, made a deep experience that offers much more than your standard shooter.
  41. Mar 8, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Graphics:10-Rapture looks great,awesome physics(using telekenisis,water and gasoline effects,blowing things with grenade launcher)awesame plasmid effects(like to see them on fire or stunned,fighting each other or fighting with target dummy,being attacked by security or flying with help of cyclone trap)
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Story:9.5-Pretty good,great characters and plot,Rapture is one of the most rememberable places i've ever been to(figuratively).
    Gameplay:10-Simply the best,you can chose whether your gonna hack bots and cameras and get them attack enemies for you or you can do it yourself(more of fun).great combat mechanics,interesting idea which is used to maximum,and while closing to the end you are(really) going to need improved versions of weapons and plasmids.I put ''really'' in bracket because game is WAY TO EASY even on HARDest difficulty for more skilled players.But that's cool(you can turn it off on consoles).BUT PC RULES.
    Overall:10-BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED and i've played a whole lotta games.
  42. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, youThis is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, you will be intrigued, you will have loads and loads of fun!

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10
  43. Oct 10, 2011
    I usually avoid deep story driven games because my time is limited, and my memory is poor. Bioshock is a game that was suggested to me by a few friends, and had received critical praise, so I finally gave in. After an initial disaster with the Telekinesis plasmid almost made me quit, I stuck through the gameâ
  44. Jul 19, 2011
    Just registered to thumb up mcremi's review lol, though I won't give it a so low score.
    It's good looking, yes, but the gameplay mechanics are kinda boring and repetitive. You're in a small room, the doors suddenly closes, a bunch of enemies all looking the same appears, and so on.
    I'm sure the developers only worked on the graphics and forgot to make a game with them. Reviewers that gave

Reviewers that gave it 100/100 should do a different job, like in a coal mine or something...
  45. Nov 10, 2011
    I have yet to find flaw with this game. The achievements were really fun, too. They lasted me about 3 years, but I'm finally satisfied with 1000/1100G.
  46. Feb 2, 2012
    This game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. ThankfullyThis game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. Thankfully the story comes across through gameplay and the two are integrated seamlessley rather than seperated like in many other games. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  47. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  48. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  49. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  50. Dec 23, 2010
    "A beautiful smooth veneer finish over a flawed, ultimately hollow core" would sum this title up for me perfectly. The setting and overall theme were done quite well, and the conveyance of exploring a now-ruined underwater dystopia is executed very well. To my eyes, that was where the excellence stopped, and the mediocrity begins.

The story holds up about as well as a cardboard cutout in

The story holds up about as well as a cardboard cutout in a windstorm, as most of it is told not via in-game events but by picking up random tape recordings scattered throughout the ruins. There was one major plot twist, but by the time it occurs most people would have seen it coming anyway. The weapons, though reasonably balanced, were all pretty standard fare - nothing we haven't seen before. The plasmids, which should have really set the game apart, were only marginally useful save for the one or two strong ones; the rest were relegated to use only for the few virtual stop-gates that required their use for you to pass.

By the time I was done playing - which, by the way doesn't take all that long - and had followed the cookie-cutter "good" or "evil" path, I left with the feeling that I could have had much more. I think the initial reviews were made by journalists who played through the first hour or so of the game and were really just absorbing the theme and environment. Had they dug a bit deeper, they would have seen the shiny surface give way to the flaws that lurk underneath.
  51. Sep 25, 2011
    I do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaningI do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaning that instead of having to think a while before you upgrade, you can just upgrade anything and still be fine. The enemies are similar to those in system shock 2's, the story is the same, even the gameplay is the same, and guess what the first weapon in BOTH games is? A WRENCH! Bioshock has pretty graphics, but graphics dont matter, the gameplay isnt amazing, it's impossible to die, and the allusion they tried to use was not sure what it exactly meant at times. Bioshock is pretty, but a little dumb in the head, system shock 2 is ugly, but its an older game, and there are graphic mods, and it is smart. i give system shock 2 a gold trophy filled with gummy bears, chocolate, and other yummy stuff. i give bioshock the same trophy, but made out of plastic, filled with brown water, and nothing else. Expand
  52. mez
    Dec 1, 2011
    I seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got aboveI seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got above mediocre.

It's just a formulaic run and gun shooter. The missions often feel contrived and arbitrary, and are almost entirely based around finding random widgets in some far corner of the level (and there's an escort mission in there as well, ugh). While you're doing that you blast your way through waves of interchangeable enemies - almost all of whom run straight at you - using the usual array of FPS weapons. That's it. For all the game's highfalutin' concept, there's no depth whatsoever to the gameplay - just strafe and fire, strafe and fire. The much-heralded plasmids add very little. They're just guns with different animations. Shoot someone or set them on fire, it makes no difference.

The setting and story are above average, although the levels all look very similar and the Objectivism stuff is a bit undercooked - it's really just a standard trouble in paradise thing with some Ayn Rand inspired sound bites over the top. The diary tapes add some colour, but for some reason I couldn't make myself care about any of it. I found the twists predictable, and the single moral choice you have to make in the game (whether to harvest the little sisters or rescue them) has no bearing at all on the gameplay, only on which ending you get. It feels utterly meaningless.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the game and I so desperately wanted to love it, but its lineage can't hide the fact that it's just another bland FPS. I cannot understand what these huge scores and breathlessly uncritical reviews are based on. I almost feel like I haven't been playing the same game.
  53. Jul 28, 2012
    I can understand why this game is thought of so highly by others. The world you descend into is fantastically engrossing, with perfectly executed period music and decorations. The story is a good, the graphics are decent, and the gameplay is fun enough.

But everything is ruined for me by one thing - those darn vita tubes. Basically there are tubes dotted about all over the levels and if you die you are respawned at the last tube you went past. The problem with this is that whatever damage you've dealt out to the enemies stays with them, so you don't lose anything from just dying over and over again until you finally defeat your foes. This makes a mockery of the whole game; you might as well attack the hardest enemies with your wrench and save your ammo because you'll just respawn with no negative effects.

This takes away all the suspense and fear from the game. Add to this enemies that respawn at random, a lack of weapons that are hideously balanced (a powered up wrench better than a shotgun?!), and a system of augmentations that don't really help all that much, and this is a game with so much potential and so much right that falls short of where it could have been.
  54. Mar 30, 2011
    I can't help but feel this game has been hipped a bit to much, yes it is a great game, but not a god sent.
    But i must accept that the involving set-up in which the game is set and some amazing twists can stay on top of your mind to make you think the entire game was gold, yet I can only say that i counted many moments of repetitiousness, and bland game time.
  55. Jan 13, 2012
    Bought during the steam xmas sales in 2008 and only played it last year. Really enjoyed it. Addictive gameplay, full captions, lovely grahpics for it's time and best of all, fun and satisfying gameplay.
  56. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not CoD or Halo, and therefore does not rely on online play to prop it up.
    This game is not an RPG. If you want to play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion, then play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion. Some people think that this game is terrible because monsters jump out at you and make you soil yourself. Some people think it's awful that this game is
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not an RPG.

Some people think it's awful that this game is so gripping that they had to force themselves to complete the game twice in one week.
    Some people think that killing little girls is a bit yawn worthy (personally, I find that a little worrying).
    Some people can't stand that in this horror game, there is no end to the enemies.
    Some people complain because 6 weapons (each with two secondary firing modes), 11 varieties of magic spells, and 32 varieties of customisation just aren't enough for an FPS.

So given what this game isn't, and all the reasons it's a rubbish game, why should you play?

Because it's fun. The storyline is frankly fantastic. It's so simple, yet so horrifying.
    At times this game makes the player want to throw away the controls and just say "No. No no no no no." because the game makes the player feel like they're the one being controlled. Like you've sat on a rollercoaster ride, been strapped in, then a 300lb pervert with a shotgun sits next to you with a grin.

Now for the serious part of the review:
    The sound's fantastically detailed - everything makes a sound.
    The artwork is superbly done, with every room uniquely designed so it doesn't feel like walking through the same dungeon over and over again.
    The game play allows the user to decide how much they want to play this as a straight forward shooter, or explore and find out more about the story.
    You only ever meet one character face to face in the entire game. And by this point, you really don't want to.
    Everyone else act as overlords speaking into your radio, manipulating your actions.
    This once the horror of the game has died down a little, the insanity of the game can become creepily fun. It gets to quite satisfying to beat a splicers face in with a wrench.
    This game does not in any way lack in detail. While there are only 6 basic enemies in the game, each one comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each wielding something to bash your brains in with.

And it has possibly the best nemeses I've encountered in a game.

But...
    The game does, indeed, have no online play.
    If you don't go out of your way, or don't replay the game, a lot of the plot points will be lost on you (like if you watched Star Wars, and the entire cloud city section were cut).
    Some of the physics are glitchy (due to minor clipping issues), meaning that occasionally, tripping over a crisp packet will cause it to team rocket into the air.
    Whilst regenerating health doesn't have a look-in, there is the fact that death on this game is more an inconvenience as you re-spawn instantly [but is this really much different to constantly saving and reloading?]
    Despite the people who say "I didn't have enough ammo D:", by the end you'll probably have cash and armaments coming out your diving boots, as well as half a dozen secondary fire modes you don't know what to do with.
    You cannot have both a plasmid and a gun readied at the same time (this is fixed in Bioshock 2).
    A neat little arrow always tells you where to go next. While this makes the game easier - it sometimes feels more like the game game is a long, long game of follow the sodding arrow. But on the other hand, it does increase the feeling that you're there to do the characters in the game's bidding, and that you've got no real control.

So there you have it.
    10/10 for graphics.
    10/10 for story.
    10/10 for fun (I've managed to complete the game about 7 times and it's still fun to send splicers sprawling)
    8/10 for QA - there are some issues there. This game isn't perfect.
    9/10 for the details (Come on. How many other shooters have a fortune teller, corpses in bathtubs, a forest at the bottom of the ocean, and vast cityscapes complete with individually tailored neon signs out of every window).

Much as it's frowned upon to say this - but if you play this expecting a re-run of your favourite railshooter, straight RPG, or online repetitive CoD battle, then expect to be disappointed.
    If despite instant regenerations, falling into mountains of cash and guns, and the ability to go back and one-hit kill all those wretched first level enemies for goodies, you still don't have enough weaponry. - then the problem is possibly that the player is bad at shooters, rather than a bad game.

The difficulty can easily be turned up at any point. Instant re-spawns can be turned off. And if you don't like the plasmids, then don't use them.

P.s. Play this game in the dark. And get the sequel.
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess youI bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  58. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  59. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant. I forced

I forced myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  60. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  61. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  62. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good

Cons:

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  63. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  64. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  65. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  66. Sep 14, 2011
    I actually found this game quite boring. Its starts out really well, with a nice story to set the mood, but the further you get into it, the whole magic aspect kills the gameplay. If you like that kind of shooters, i can understand the score, but i ended up playing it solely for the story.
  67. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from beingFrom the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  68. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a consoleBioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  69. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  70. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that wasdont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  71. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  72. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game.

I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  73. Nov 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock first struck me as yet another Half-Life 2 imitator. Iâ Expand
  74. Nov 17, 2011
    Bioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of deliveringBioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of delivering interesting information and backstory about the game's world and setting to the player, without getting boring.

The combat and gameplay in this game were also superb. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many potentially unique playstyles and techniques for a player to have in the RPG/FPS format. There are just so many ways to approach combat in this game... it really is very well designed. I found myself wanting to replay the game just to experiment with the different weapons, upgrades, and enhancements your character can acquire during travels of the wonderous world of Rapture. This is probably the best game I've played since Half-Life 2.
  75. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of theseBioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  76. Oct 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, hands down. 2K never fails to please. Firstly, the plot is AMAZING. The voice acting is extremely well done, better than most games these days. The gameplay is really cool and new, with the plasmids and everything. The graphics are good to look at, despite some texture errors as the level loads (but that's expected). The music and generalThis is one of the best games I have ever played, hands down. 2K never fails to please. Firstly, the plot is AMAZING. The voice acting is extremely well done, better than most games these days. The gameplay is really cool and new, with the plasmids and everything. The graphics are good to look at, despite some texture errors as the level loads (but that's expected). The music and general ambiance is really cool, making it one of the most immersive games I've ever played. If you're into good story, and a generally good experience rather than just looking for explosions (*Cough Call of Duty Cough*) then this is DEFINITELY the game for you. As a side note, I have to say I am sick to death of people on metacritic **** about either the game crashing or about the "huge score that the game doesn't deserve". If you think the game deserves a 7, give it a damn 7 and not a 0 just to bring the average score down...an average is the COLLECTIVE opinion of everyone. Those people giving it a **** score to change the big score need to think more about everyone else...your opinion isn't the one that should be shown. Expand
  77. Oct 21, 2011
    A very sound game with some unique features but too short for my liking and the ending is poor. On the other hand, the setting is visually stunning, the story is well told and thoughtful (especially the tapes) and the plasmid idea is interesting. One gets the impression that mixing philosophical and moral issues with liberal amounts of violence tends to confuse people. This kind of thingA very sound game with some unique features but too short for my liking and the ending is poor. On the other hand, the setting is visually stunning, the story is well told and thoughtful (especially the tapes) and the plasmid idea is interesting. One gets the impression that mixing philosophical and moral issues with liberal amounts of violence tends to confuse people. This kind of thing only works once and even then not for everyone. A shooter is a shooter no matter how you dress it up, but Bioshock dresses it up extremely well and is definitely a game that is worth playing and that will be remembered. I didn't find that much replayability myself, but when I did play I was thoroughly entertained, except perhaps for the ending. An FPS devotee should not miss it. Expand
  78. Jun 8, 2013
    This is an epic beginning to an epic franchise. It's got story. It's got action. It's got puzzles. It's got everything! It just doesn't have its story told through videos. Even better: The story and interactions happen while you're playing. You save the game whenever you want. The graphics are excellent and the controls too. A diverse range of weapons and equipments. Splendid!
  79. Nov 14, 2011
    Certainly one of the greats when it comes to video games. It is filled with fun mysterys and great action i love it certainly give it a 10/10 at some parts it may make you say creeeeeeeeeeeepy but its not really a scary game. you have to try it.
  80. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For its' time Bioshock must have been the best thing ever since sliced bread, however in a perspective of today, which was when I finished the game, the game feels as if the developers were too lazy to do some minor changes for the better. Ragdolls are not falling realisticly it's like watching a movie with 10 FPS, slowmotion and laggish like. But that isn't anything compared to the crashes that occur once in a while. Whenever the game crashes, then all the settings you changed will be reset to default, which I was very frustrated about. The gameplay was not the best, but that wasn't the meaning of the game, so that didn't bother me that much, it was okay and there are a lot of oppurtunities to deal with enemies. The graphics isn't something I will critize too much, it was decent nothing more than I was expecting. However the story was the bright point of the game, it was exciting and I really fell in love with it. Though I was so dissapointed in the ending, the game simply ends bad, if you just harvest 1 little sister. Through the whole game I made a mistake and harvested one of those girls and rest of them I rescued. How can I bring brutality when I saved all of them? The ending of the game simply can't make me give this game an earned 8, but a 5. I hope next game in the franchise will bring some more joy to me. Expand
  81. Jan 1, 2012
    Can just appreciate the unique design and gaming experience this game delivered. Very well made and enjoyable to play. Just missing some features increasing replay value, thats all. Also a big thank you to 2k for not ruining the game by trying to press a mediocre coop mode into it. This current game generation a lot of potentially good singleplayer games got ruined this way.
  82. Oct 7, 2013
    BioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't wellBioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't well balanced. It seemed to force playing enemies a certain way. Beating ranged big daddies with certain weapons and plasmids was almost impossible while others almost made it too easy. The customization with buffs and the invention mechanics are deep but don't feel gameplay changing. If you can get used to the mechanics BioShock has a lot to offer. Expand
  83. Aug 8, 2014
    Bioshock.
    This game was supposed to be the spiritual successor to a very powerful game, System Shock 2. The environment and the story are supposed to be dark and horrifying, with every piece you learn building up to a terrifying and emotional breakdown as the game progresses.
    Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no. The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time.
    Bioshock.

Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no.
    The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time. But if we just wanted to look at pretty things, we wouldn't play games right? And that is where Bioshock's ultimate problem lies, it is a beautiful, polished game on the outside, but on the inside it is affected by a hideous gameplay, and so-so story telling.

The gameplay is repetitive from within itself, go here, do this, kill the big daddy, get some more juice and pump yourself up. It's boring and unimaginative; it was cool the first, and maybe even second time it happened, but once you realized it for what it was, it quickly became stale. The boss at the end was incredibly contrived, I found him to be an incredibly comical looking, shallow villain. He wasn't scary, or monstrous, but colorful and without real history or depth. The developers tried to sell him off as someone that went mad with his lust for power and evolution, but in the end he was just another NPC to destroy.

The storytelling was borrowed from System-Shock's progressive method of sharing what happened in audio logs. This is a fantastic way of sharing a story, though the characters that leave the logs need to be believable, true and above all, REAL to us. While the story of how Rapture was conceived, built, rotted from within, and eventually collapsed was intriguing, the delivery was poor, and you couldn't connect as easily with the former inhabitants of Rapture due to the lack of emotional connection with the characters who left the logs behind. In System Shock 2, I was dying to find the next log, the next piece of the puzzle, the next E-mail that might explain what was going on. In Bioshock, I wasn't that excited, and the game's plot was static and predictable.

Some might argue that comparing it to System Shock isn't fair and that it should be judged on it's own merits. I disagree because this game is riding on the coattails of greatness and promised an experience that would rival its spiritual predecessor. It didn't completely live up to expectations.

It is, though, at least entertaining, and is worth playing. Do not expect it to be a groundbreaking, game-changing experience however. It is neither of those.
  84. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. oing beyond "run and gun corridors," "monster-closet AIs" and static worlds, BioShock creates a living, unique and unpredictable FPS experience. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no Expand
  85. May 7, 2012
    If your a fan of shooters you will be a fan of BioShock.
    Unfortunately the marketing and critic reviews led me to believe that this was more than a shooter and nearly a cinematic experience with RPG elements.
    To make it clear: This is nothing like Deus Ex or it's successors or Portal. BioShock is a simple shooter that looks quite good, has good FPS game play, and good audio commentary.
    If your a fan of shooters you will be a fan of BioShock.

I have rated it 5 to demonstrate it is very good at what it does, but only 5 because the marketing was inaccurate at best as the game does not go beyond it's shooter roots.
  86. May 30, 2012
    Pros: Great story, relatively fun gameplay. Cons: Extremely easy, linear, simple. The gameplay itself is a linear FPS with few depth, and you get no penalty for dying. Overrated, but the game is still fun.
  87. Nov 20, 2012
    Bioshock is both overrated by critics and underrated by users. In my opinion it's too flawed to be scored a 96/100 but it's definitely not a terrible game like most people will tell you. I like the setting, the story, and the gameplay for the most part, except I have one major problem. The vitachambers make the difficulty balance seem a little lazy. You can turn them off, sure but I don'tBioshock is both overrated by critics and underrated by users. In my opinion it's too flawed to be scored a 96/100 but it's definitely not a terrible game like most people will tell you. I like the setting, the story, and the gameplay for the most part, except I have one major problem. The vitachambers make the difficulty balance seem a little lazy. You can turn them off, sure but I don't think they should have built a game surrounding a concept like that. Otherwise I feel the gameplay is strong, the weapons are cool though there could have been more plasmids, and it's rather lengthy too, around 12-15 hours your first time. The story is surprisingly deep but it's unfortunate that most of it is told only through dialogue. Worth a play if you ask me. Expand
  88. Jun 1, 2014
    Great graphics for it's time,fascinating story,and the ending is so touching.
    So violent,yet so deep.
    With all if it's faults(due being the first bioshock game),it is really a "must play"!
  89. Sep 17, 2012
    I recently bought a new computer and decided to go back and play some of my favorite older games with the graphics jacked way up, just to see how much better they look. When I did this with the original Bioshock, it reminded me of a few things, both good and bad, about this game. GOOD: The graphics are stunning, both technically and aesthetically. The art deco design of the underwaterI recently bought a new computer and decided to go back and play some of my favorite older games with the graphics jacked way up, just to see how much better they look. When I did this with the original Bioshock, it reminded me of a few things, both good and bad, about this game. GOOD: The graphics are stunning, both technically and aesthetically. The art deco design of the underwater city of Rapture perfectly captures the look and feel of an era. With settings maxed out, Bioshock looks as good as any game I would hope to see today, five years after its initial release. Also, as a shooter, Bioshock is pretty much unsurpassed. Enemies are quick, smart, and well-armed, and level design provides plenty of cover and obstacles. BAD: Bioshock really is just a shooter. When it was released, there was a lot of attention paid to the "moral choices" involving the Little Sisters, but in the end, the choices you made painstakingly through hours and hours of gameplay culminate in...two irritatingly brief cut-scenes, one if you took the good path, one for the bad. Yawn. And Bioshock's incredible visual style distracts from the fact that it is almost perfectly linear. Thanks to the many bits and pieces of backstory and Ayn Rand philosophy that are gradually uncovered as you progress, the game feels deeper and more nuanced than it really is. SUMMARY: Bioshock is worthwhile no matter what style of action-adventure-RPG you prefer, but I believe it will appeal most to fans of straightforward, Doom-style shooters who just want to get their blast on, albeit in some of the best-designed game environments in recent years. Expand
  90. Jul 19, 2012
    sub-par Rpg fps, Extremely overrated when compared to games like Deus ex and Systemshock 2,its too easy and the Rpg element is lacking,hacking is a boring joke
  91. Jul 30, 2012
    After a while it gets repetitive and the Story hasnt really made me play it through, all the walking through already visited places annoyed the **** out of me, and the graphics weren't that good, if you actually played it on your PC
  92. Apr 2, 2013
    Very good game and spiritual successor of system shock. Story and graphics style is awesome. Combat is fun thanks to the plasmids. Gameplay is something between System Shock 2 and Doom 3.
  93. Oct 14, 2012
    Although there is not questioning Bioshock's greatness, i found it has more flaws than people make out. maybe its just not my kind of game but it seemed to be a bit dull through most of it.
  94. Nov 13, 2012
    Hands down, the most immersive video game I've ever played. It has the best atmosphere I have ever seen- the setting was initially terrifying, which thrilled me, and this aspect was augmented by challenging gameplay. You are given abilities to play according to your style, using weapons adapted to your preferences. The storyline is a strong point, which is rare for a FPS. The only downsideHands down, the most immersive video game I've ever played. It has the best atmosphere I have ever seen- the setting was initially terrifying, which thrilled me, and this aspect was augmented by challenging gameplay. You are given abilities to play according to your style, using weapons adapted to your preferences. The storyline is a strong point, which is rare for a FPS. The only downside to the game is the repetitive hacking of machines, which got dull after the first 20 hacks. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a memorable FPS. I will never forget this game. Expand
  95. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is a real gem, full of horrible moral dilemmas and unique gameplay mechanics. Yes you can go through the whole game with just the starter weapons, but what's the fun in that with so many different toys to play with? The biggest problem I had was with the ending; You are either Mother Teresa or a baby eater. It's really sad that they're milking this for all it's worth because it'sThis game is a real gem, full of horrible moral dilemmas and unique gameplay mechanics. Yes you can go through the whole game with just the starter weapons, but what's the fun in that with so many different toys to play with? The biggest problem I had was with the ending; You are either Mother Teresa or a baby eater. It's really sad that they're milking this for all it's worth because it's really a good game on it's own. Expand
  96. Jul 17, 2013
    I must say I've got a problem with this one. The whole setting of the game is imbued with an unprecedented amount of artistry, the background of all events is incredibly rich and consistent. Rapture is enchanting beautifully designed location and ubiquitous art déco feel. The history is quite good and I just loved the characters and audio layer of the game (incredibly good voice actingI must say I've got a problem with this one. The whole setting of the game is imbued with an unprecedented amount of artistry, the background of all events is incredibly rich and consistent. Rapture is enchanting beautifully designed location and ubiquitous art déco feel. The history is quite good and I just loved the characters and audio layer of the game (incredibly good voice acting and music). All of this creates a coherent universe which significantly exceeds the technical aspects of the game itself. Bioshock as a game just doesn't offer enough fun. I accept the plasmids because the story behind them is plausible, but i just can't find justification for tonics. The gameplay isn't satisfying the guns don't give that special feel, permanent lack of ammo and too much plasmids to choose the tonics the hacking vending machines adam eve Power to the People Gene Banks Gatherer's Garden Health stations bots turrets photos everything... much exaggerated. The game mechanics is overcomplicated and bewildering.
    Also the level design (in macroscale as a route from beginning to end) isn't very sophisticated I would say it's like small villages sparsely placed by the main road Fort Frolic for example. Unnecessary detour to Fleet Hall and Poseidon Plaza justified only by the designers willingness to add extra content to the game (although I think mentioned location are well designed and eye-catching) heck, why couldn't you just walk straight to bathysphere. Most of the game player seems to travel from node to node.
    I think the game tries to be too long everything goes well if you are driven by plot you gather informations and audio diaries but then you reach a moment in which writers took a pause. It's easy to forget what and why you're supposed to do. The best choice would be to cut those moment since they contain only shooting & fighting and those aspects of the game doesn't defend themselves.
    Another disadvantage of Bioshock is the design of the enemies they aren't very diverse, their animation is poor and they're ugly. Just ugly (and I don't mean scary). Some characters and events related to them are insistently weird. Too mature, too bizarre... you can't really identify with them or with their motives and choices.
    I've got really hard time finishing it some moment are really dull but I'm glad I did it finally.
    Yes, I agree the game is overrated but I will not score Bioshock to 0. And I will not discourage anyone to buy the game.
  97. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  98. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a veryI was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  99. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). AFantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.