8.4

1. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepestIt is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  2. AMikeS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    The closest thing to actually being in a movie released so far. An incredible piece of interactive fiction.
  3. HarrieH
    Jan 3, 2010
    Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, game play, storyline, sound, and graphics all top notch, loved the water effects. I've played it several times through, always found content I missed before. Can't wait for BS2!
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  5. BasK
    Jan 1, 2010
    After half life 2, this is the best game i ever played. The surroundings and artwork really warps you back in time and the gameplay was great! A 10!
  6. RandallH
    Oct 21, 2009
    The most epic game since half life 2 period. If you dont have this game your life is not complete. thats all i have to say
  7. JonTd
    Dec 20, 2009
    It's good. Amazing. The best, game, EVER. Once you play it theres no turning back. Because Rapture will slowly eat your soul! ;)
  8. OwenG
    Dec 5, 2009
    Best game I have played in ages. Fantastic.
  9. SpencerH
    Jun 10, 2009
    Everyone who voted this game as anything under an 8 is a complete idiot. The complaints were "its too buggy" "pipe connecting puzzles suck" Well naive reviewers: YOU DON'T HAVE TO HACK THE MACHINES. Jeez, it is only there to make ammo and other do-hickys cheaper and turn bots on your side, which you can just as easily kill. Unless you are on the hardest difficulty, then you need to Everyone who voted this game as anything under an 8 is a complete idiot. The complaints were "its too buggy" "pipe connecting puzzles suck" Well naive reviewers: YOU DON'T HAVE TO HACK THE MACHINES. Jeez, it is only there to make ammo and other do-hickys cheaper and turn bots on your side, which you can just as easily kill. Unless you are on the hardest difficulty, then you need to hack them, but hey, if you don't want to hack the machines, get ur nubby ass to an easier difficulty and leave the harder stuff to the experienced players with half a brain and some patience. and TOO BUGGY, wow, that is a personal computer issue, I don't get any bugs at all when i play and my computer is a royal piece of s***. But hey, if you didn't like the incredible graphics, amazing and mind warping story line, or the amazing options you have when it comes to taking down all kinds of enemies, you can go F*** yourself, cuz you my friend, are a moron. It takes a brain to appreciate the incredible aspects of this game, so if you don't enjoy Bioshock, go work at McDonalds. Expand
  10. DanielF.
    Sep 21, 2009
    Calling Bioshock, any specific genre, is an insult to this magnificent piece of art. I won't lie, when I bought this game off of Steam for $20, I wanted to hate it. I thought that it was over-hyped, and nothing but a run and gun shooter game. As soon as I hit the New Game button, I realized I was in for something unique. Of the aspects of Bioshock, by far the most awesome, was the Calling Bioshock, any specific genre, is an insult to this magnificent piece of art. I won't lie, when I bought this game off of Steam for $20, I wanted to hate it. I thought that it was over-hyped, and nothing but a run and gun shooter game. As soon as I hit the New Game button, I realized I was in for something unique. Of the aspects of Bioshock, by far the most awesome, was the story, intricately woven into the fabric of the continuity of the lore. Without giving away any spoilers, I would have to say that Bioshock is without a doubt, the strongest narrative I have ever heard/seen in a video game. The gameplay is equally incredible. Granted, as some of the reviewers have noted, the plasmids are a bit unbalanced.Two of the plasmids, Incinerate and Electric bolt, are almost undefeatable, and one could when the game with nothing but them, however the real enjoyable portion of Bioshock, is freezing an enemy and shattering them to bits, or throwing hives of bees at them, and watching them writhe in pain. The weapons, however are perfectly balanced. An combined the weapons/plasmids system is one of the most efficent combat systems I have seen in an FPS. One thing that annoyed me was the Karma system, which many called an RPG system. The whole conflict with the Little Sisters, while unique just doesn't have the moral implications that it does the first time you do it. By the time that you're harvesting/saving three per level, it becomes routine. Another problem I had with the game was the hacking system. I seemed like a good idea gone terribly wrong. Eventually you do get Auto-hack for some items, but even so, hacking vending machines and safes can be frustrating. Finally I must comment on the graphics. The water effects are incredible, some of the finest yet to grace the platform. Overall, with a pricetag of 20, I wouldn't hesitate to get this game. Expand
  11. BobGuy
    Feb 25, 2009
    Epic. The graphics are pure excellence and the gameplay is quite good. Ton of replay potencial in this game. The big daddys and bosses provide a nice gameplay experience for personal achievements such as only using the "one-two" punch, no plasmids, etc. For those who think it's boring, play it on hard. Without using anything but the wrench and electro bolt 1. And no vita-chambers. Epic. The graphics are pure excellence and the gameplay is quite good. Ton of replay potencial in this game. The big daddys and bosses provide a nice gameplay experience for personal achievements such as only using the "one-two" punch, no plasmids, etc. For those who think it's boring, play it on hard. Without using anything but the wrench and electro bolt 1. And no vita-chambers. And rescue all the little sisters. Good luck. Expand
  12. JamesH
    Dec 21, 2009
    There are good games. On top of that are amazing games. On top of that are masterpieces. On top of that is Bioshock.
  13. Oct 12, 2011
    One of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarelyOne of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarely do) Still love the brilliant dialogue and the way the cut scene moments actually work within the game, and dont cover the lack of depth and immersion AKA (The witcher 2 etc etc) but add to it. Absolutely brilliant. Expand
  14. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as manyawesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  15. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of lightThe setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  16. May 17, 2011
    A towering achievement. The meticulous attention to detail, deep combat options, and extremely engaging setting make for an unforgettable experience. The people who give this game anything other than the positive review it deserves should probably go get stomped on by a Big Daddy for not realizing the beauty of this game.
  17. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  18. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars

06/06/13

Fun factor :

Control and gameplay:

I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    To all people complaining about Vita-chamber and the game being easy: YOU CAN DISABLE VITA-CHAMBERS IN THE OPTIONS MENU, also YOU HAVE 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
  20. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  23. Aug 20, 2014
    It was a really fun game despite how many times i ended up dying. Even someone as bad as me at video games can beat it on medium. The story was great and i can't wait to play the next one!
  24. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a 'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  25. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  26. JoeF.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Even after completion i feel touched by the game, like i really was and am now in rapture the way the game tells it's story delivers it's "WOW" by far better than anything i have ever played. If you miss this you wont get the oppertunity again for a long time.
  27. JamesR.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Finally a FPS that isn't just killing the same old monsters in different rooms. This is a game that allows you to think and make discisions that actually effect the outcome of the game. Count one copy sold of BioShock 2.
  28. OscarS.
    Oct 4, 2007
    I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to yourself to try it. The 60's visual design, the genetic powers, the weapon upgrades, and the story make this the best game of 2007 in my opinion. Expand
  29. HenryJ.
    Aug 16, 2007
    The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is no longer enough any more in the gaming industry. Now go out and buy it! Expand
  30. Chris
    Aug 21, 2007
    In most first person shooters, where everything is laid out in black and white. You shoot, move on, and shoot some more. But in Bioshock you have to plan ahead, look at what is there and formulate a plan to get past it. You have to juggle resources just in order to survive. That and an excellent story and narrative add up to one on the most engrossing and jaw-dropping games I have ever played.
  31. ShaunD.
    Aug 21, 2007
    I want to start off by saying that I am not a PC gamer; in fact, I prefer consoles. But in the case of Bioshock, I couldn't choose.Amazing atmosphere, wonderful AI, and the best water effects ever in a game make this one of the greatest games in recent days.
  32. JesusY.
    Aug 22, 2007
    So fresh and original. A little weird at first but well worth the time. Engrossing with plenty of re-playability. The art-deco Rapture is one of the most interesting worlds created in a video game. Reminds me of myst in a weird way.
  33. Kevin
    Aug 27, 2007
    Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from purchasing this game - it's as amazing a single player experience as Far Cry was 3 years ago. Expand
  34. GeorgeG.
    Aug 27, 2007
    This game reminded me of Deus Ex, and that's a very good thing. The story line is fresh and the audio and radio "narative" kept me in the story. The graphics are amazing on a high end machine and still quite nice on one that was high end three years ago. It ran smoothly, never crashed through my initial run. The weapons and powers are fun to use and to experiment with. The Copy This game reminded me of Deus Ex, and that's a very good thing. The story line is fresh and the audio and radio "narative" kept me in the story. The graphics are amazing on a high end machine and still quite nice on one that was high end three years ago. It ran smoothly, never crashed through my initial run. The weapons and powers are fun to use and to experiment with. The Copy protection/FairUse Restriction is over the top for a Steam game, however. Also it has a very linear and scripted feel for a game that was touted as being open ended, however most FPS have this failing. All in all, I'd rank it above DeusEx, HL, HL2, or even System Shock2. Great game. Expand
  35. JasonN.
    Sep 1, 2007
    This game is awsome good details, and work they put into making it realistic.... never seen any other game as realistic as this game.
  36. aar
    Sep 1, 2007
    Great story, great atmosphere, and fun gameplay. Overall, a very polished game that provides an experience few games do.
  37. Impaled
    Sep 1, 2007
    It's like System Shock 2 but with less inventory management and scariness and more freakish mutants with guns and pipes rushing you with an intent to kill! It's a bunch more streamlined and fast paced than Shock 2 but that's fine by me.
  38. JamesB.
    Sep 21, 2007
    By far one of the best games i have EVER played, given 10/10 from PC Gamer and 96% out of 100% i can't honestley see any game coming near enough to even touch this is the near future (that includes Halo 3 ^^).
  39. RayH.
    Sep 26, 2007
    The graphics are stunning, the simple and easy to use controls work very well. The story was something I would have expected out a novel. I haven't had a single player experience I enjoyed this much, and could repeat for a long time. A must buy.
  40. John
    Feb 4, 2008
    Great game, but way to may vending machines to hack. That gets old quick.
  41. MattB.
    Dec 31, 2007
    The art of deception smoothly polished on to the storyline of Bioshock enhances the real sense of immersion.
  42. CodyS.
    Dec 8, 2007
    I liked the game a lot. It had a great amount of atmosphere and the story telling was top notch. I wasn't particualrly happy with the 30 second FMV endings. Nevertheless, probably my favorite game of the year so far. If you liked Deus Ex, you will like this.
  43. Jaagi
    Sep 2, 2007
    All in all a great game, the surroundings are stunning and although the combination of plasmids and weapons might seem a little confusing at first once you get in to it, it works like a charm. On the negative side, the final battle was waaay to easy compared to the rest.
  44. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphicsOne of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphics are awesome, the style is unique, the game-play is extremely well balanced and paced between shooting, narrative and other activities like exploration and growing your character. The A.I is some of the best I have ever seen. But most importantly of all for me, is the way you can play the game however you want to. If you like to get in people faces with the shotgun and melee weapon you can do that, or you can stick with rapid fire weapons and high explosives, set traps, go stealthy, use the myriad of plasmids etc. Its just a fantastic and game and so spooky to boot. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite all time video games. If you like intelligent shooters then this is a must play video game. Expand
  45. Sep 4, 2011
    Fascinating story line, interesting take on skill selection, and in-depth social commentary make this a great game. I play games for the stories, and I was quite entranced by this one. The graphics were also incredible.
  46. Jul 13, 2011
    This is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative andThis is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative and aid your combat very efficiently especially in harder difficulties. The gun aren't anything special, but they're much more fun once you've upgraded them. My personal favourite weapon is the fully upgraded shotgun; just going round blasting splicers heads off. One bad thing about the game is how its main mascot, (the bouncer big daddy) is only your enemy twice, in the medical pavilion, and in the big daddy training grounds. all the other times it comes as the less scary, "elite" version. A final bad hing about the game is how it is fairly short, it takes about 5-7 hours to complete.. Overall, the game is amazing, it never gets boring, I've completed it 5 times. once on survivor, thrice on medium, and once in easy. you won't regret buying it, i didn't. Expand
  47. Sep 4, 2011
    This is amazing game. Very good Shooter + Nice RPG + Very Very amazing and addictive story = My favorite game :) All in this game is perfect. Sounds, models, weapons, locations..... Really all. I love this and advice You.
  48. Oct 12, 2011
    Just amazing! Quite possibly the best game i have ever played. Everything from the sounds and environment to the combat and story was stunningly well done. If you are in doubt, buy it.
  49. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  50. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance toThe developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  51. thedude282
    Aug 25, 2007
    Incredible depth of character and story is what really pulls this game together--the pretty package is just icing on the cake. My only complaint is that the levels take entirely too long to load.
  52. hatrox.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Best game I've played in my entire life. Its beauty in the story, graphics and gameplay are simply unrivalled.
  53. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic toThe only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  54. BenC.
    Oct 2, 2007
    If it feels good running all the graphics on low, then it must be good. Great fallout-esque setting, genuinely freaky setting and great storyline. Journal logs work very well at telling at giving backstory similar to the PDAs of Doom 3, but done better.
  55. Shi
    Sep 5, 2007
    Its one of the best FPS games i have ever played(If not the best :P)It has everything you want action puzzles tactics and the game is full of art.So?Dont call yourself player if you havent played this masterpiece.
  56. RayP.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Great game with a wonderfull environment and soundtrack. Very processor intensive. Only application that I had to re-tune my overclock down to play.
  57. knillboggK
    Oct 7, 2008
    Amazing game from start to finish. Not a standard shooter in any case, and hugely reminiscent of ss2. There are some strange points in the game, but over all it is just a game, remember that when you come to a "power to the people station". Everything else in the game was top notch, well done, and different in a good way.
  58. ErwinR.
    May 30, 2008
    Breathtaking, underwater noir, art-deco, fantasia, the philosophy of Ayn Rand gone more wrong than it really is, and a creepy, horror, techno-thriller plot to go on top, who could ask for more?
  59. MichalB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Great story, great audio-visuals, great gameplay. What else do no need to say that this game isn't one of the best games of all time?
  60. ChrisM.
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Totally sucked. It crashed my computer after 15 min of boring, crap quality play. One reviewer said this game gets you hooked immediately. Not So." Randall, that's because you're a moron who likes professional wrestling!
  61. ChrisD
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "intensely stupid"! Expand
  62. TomV.
    Nov 22, 2007
    I haven't played many FPS games [since Quake 2]. But the awesome visual and audio experience new games offer got me intrigued with this one. The story line is unique and compelling and the game play is fun. If offers just enough handholding to get those new [or renewed] to FPS games up to speed. I am really having fun with this game.
  63. ThomasB.
    Aug 21, 2007
    The game is intense and the weapons are not the same old shot gun, 9mm and rocket llaucher. Even though the plasmids are reminesent of the Jedi Knight games, the do make the fighting much more entertaining. However the environment and interactiveness of the game is nothing special at all. In those aspects, its just like any other FPS.
  64. IanF.
    Aug 24, 2007
    This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, moody environment makes for a breathtaking experience. This is the first game in years that I actually enjoy playing. So what if it doesn't have multiplayer (one of the most overrated features in gaming history)? Bioshock is a brilliant piece of virtual art that any discerning gamer should not be without. More games NEED to be like this. Expand
  65. FrankieP.
    Aug 26, 2007
    The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't it is THE reason to upgrade NOW! Expand
  66. RobertA.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Bought it on steam. I only play the steam games with a 90+ rating. Really a stellar title. A deep storyline, and a dismal underwater setting that captures where 3d graphics look most realistic (in dark environments).
  67. Ben
    Aug 21, 2007
    All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo,All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo, wondering what the heck else is going to happen and when. I believe a good game eases you into the action and bases it's scares not on all the enemies that jump out, but on the anticipation of when and where something will happen, keeping up the suspense throughout and keeping the player on edge and making them feel the tension. I believe by the demo, Bioshock has done this. just like System Shock has done years before it. Great stuff. Expand
  68. StevenM.
    Aug 22, 2007
    It is hard to imagine giving this game anything less than a perfect 10. I agree there are minor glitches. However, the immersive atmosphere and the relentlessly intense action make this a must have. A true masterpiece of storytelling and design.
  69. BattleneterBattleneters
    Sep 4, 2007
    IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and alike this is 100% for you. If you are a Half Life nutter that prefers FPS simulators opposed to atmosphere then look else where, this is not for you. The reviews are spot on in my opinion, this is no Doom3 that was over hyped, over rated and sucked. Bishock is hyped and rated correctly, it 100% delivers what it sets out to do, plenty of atmosphere and fun. Expand
  70. Variatas
    Aug 25, 2007
    Looks incredible, even if you aren't running the best hardware, in which case it looks mind-blowingly awesome. Sounds outstanding; which sets up the environment and brings it to a strange, twisted life. The story is one of the best and most eniticing narratives ever told in a game. All in all, this is a Game of the Year, and its only August.
  71. ketracelwhite
    Aug 25, 2007
    What a game! When I read the first previews I was slightly disapointed because they said it was missing a lot of the rpg- elements that where in System Shock, (I feared this would turn out to be just another shooter with a nice story), but wtf, this game just rocks! A true masterpiece!
  72. JarrodLofy
    Aug 27, 2007
    Amazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my wholeAmazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my whole life way above F.E.A.R. and half life 2 combined Expand
  73. JasonW.
    Jul 3, 2008
    This game is good but it is one of the most overated games of recent times. It suffers from game mechanics which break the suspension of disbelief regulary. Looks beautiful but the awe wears thin pretty quick, ultimately suffers from the Doom3 - everything looks plastic syndrome. NOT better than Stalker, Crysis or the HL2 series.
  74. MagyaryG
    Jan 1, 2010
    This game was maded in 2007 but still perfect feeling to play with it. The story the graphic the sound... it was a perfect job absolutely. Can't wait the secound part.
  75. M.B
    Jan 24, 2010
    The game is REALY fun, It's a waste of time NOT playing it. But.... It's WAY too easy. I only played through it once... And now its the second time for me :D Pre-Purchased Bioshock 2 :D Hope I can Pre-Load it too :D
  76. JgcxE.
    Oct 30, 2008
    Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good indicator of a good game, i could not find a single flaw with bioshock. One part in which i did get stuck, did not put me off - i played it again and again, looking around for the code for the next level, and never got bored. Darkly beautiful. Expand
  77. MarkusR.
    Aug 5, 2008
    This game stunned me totaly. Splendid graphics, the story is amazing and the horror is great. A must own game for the fps lover.
  78. Nov 9, 2011
    2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption is seen underwater. Is man truly innocent and can their crimes be washed away? Such sophisticated question was never asked before in a game, and "Bioshock" answers the prompt back with such epicness and horror, I HAD to give it a 10. GOTY noobs!! Expand
  79. CarlosTheBear
    Oct 3, 2008
    Truly epic, got my copy through Steam, zero bugs. Loses 1 mark for lack of variety of enemies.
  80. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, thisSimply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  81. Jan 24, 2012
    One of the best shooters I have played.

I don't play many shooters, they just don't interest me, but Bioshock, with its disturbing world, nice story, told through audiologs, and a radio, and great use of conventional weapons and the plasmids, made a deep experience that offers much more than your standard shooter.
  82. Mar 8, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Graphics:10-Rapture looks great,awesome physics(using telekenisis,water and gasoline effects,blowing things with grenade launcher)awesame plasmid effects(like to see them on fire or stunned,fighting each other or fighting with target dummy,being attacked by security or flying with help of cyclone trap)
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Story:9.5-Pretty good,great characters and plot,Rapture is one of the most rememberable places i've ever been to(figuratively).
    Gameplay:10-Simply the best,you can chose whether your gonna hack bots and cameras and get them attack enemies for you or you can do it yourself(more of fun).great combat mechanics,interesting idea which is used to maximum,and while closing to the end you are(really) going to need improved versions of weapons and plasmids.I put ''really'' in bracket because game is WAY TO EASY even on HARDest difficulty for more skilled players.But that's cool(you can turn it off on consoles).BUT PC RULES.
    Overall:10-BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED and i've played a whole lotta games.
  83. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, youThis is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, you will be intrigued, you will have loads and loads of fun!

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10
  84. Nov 10, 2011
    I have yet to find flaw with this game. The achievements were really fun, too. They lasted me about 3 years, but I'm finally satisfied with 1000/1100G.
  85. Feb 2, 2012
    This game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. ThankfullyThis game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. Thankfully the story comes across through gameplay and the two are integrated seamlessley rather than seperated like in many other games. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  86. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  87. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  88. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  89. Mar 30, 2011
    I can't help but feel this game has been hipped a bit to much, yes it is a great game, but not a god sent.
    But i must accept that the involving set-up in which the game is set and some amazing twists can stay on top of your mind to make you think the entire game was gold, yet I can only say that i counted many moments of repetitiousness, and bland game time.
  90. Jan 13, 2012
    Bought during the steam xmas sales in 2008 and only played it last year. Really enjoyed it. Addictive gameplay, full captions, lovely grahpics for it's time and best of all, fun and satisfying gameplay.
  91. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not CoD or Halo, and therefore does not rely on online play to prop it up.
    This game is not an RPG. If you want to play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion, then play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion. Some people think that this game is terrible because monsters jump out at you and make you soil yourself. Some people think it's awful that this game is
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not an RPG.

Some people think it's awful that this game is so gripping that they had to force themselves to complete the game twice in one week.
    Some people think that killing little girls is a bit yawn worthy (personally, I find that a little worrying).
    Some people can't stand that in this horror game, there is no end to the enemies.
    Some people complain because 6 weapons (each with two secondary firing modes), 11 varieties of magic spells, and 32 varieties of customisation just aren't enough for an FPS.

So given what this game isn't, and all the reasons it's a rubbish game, why should you play?

Because it's fun. The storyline is frankly fantastic. It's so simple, yet so horrifying.
    At times this game makes the player want to throw away the controls and just say "No. No no no no no." because the game makes the player feel like they're the one being controlled. Like you've sat on a rollercoaster ride, been strapped in, then a 300lb pervert with a shotgun sits next to you with a grin.

Now for the serious part of the review:
    The sound's fantastically detailed - everything makes a sound.
    The artwork is superbly done, with every room uniquely designed so it doesn't feel like walking through the same dungeon over and over again.
    The game play allows the user to decide how much they want to play this as a straight forward shooter, or explore and find out more about the story.
    You only ever meet one character face to face in the entire game. And by this point, you really don't want to.
    Everyone else act as overlords speaking into your radio, manipulating your actions.
    This once the horror of the game has died down a little, the insanity of the game can become creepily fun. It gets to quite satisfying to beat a splicers face in with a wrench.
    This game does not in any way lack in detail. While there are only 6 basic enemies in the game, each one comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each wielding something to bash your brains in with.

And it has possibly the best nemeses I've encountered in a game.

But...
    The game does, indeed, have no online play.
    If you don't go out of your way, or don't replay the game, a lot of the plot points will be lost on you (like if you watched Star Wars, and the entire cloud city section were cut).
    Some of the physics are glitchy (due to minor clipping issues), meaning that occasionally, tripping over a crisp packet will cause it to team rocket into the air.
    Whilst regenerating health doesn't have a look-in, there is the fact that death on this game is more an inconvenience as you re-spawn instantly [but is this really much different to constantly saving and reloading?]
    Despite the people who say "I didn't have enough ammo D:", by the end you'll probably have cash and armaments coming out your diving boots, as well as half a dozen secondary fire modes you don't know what to do with.
    You cannot have both a plasmid and a gun readied at the same time (this is fixed in Bioshock 2).
    A neat little arrow always tells you where to go next. While this makes the game easier - it sometimes feels more like the game game is a long, long game of follow the sodding arrow. But on the other hand, it does increase the feeling that you're there to do the characters in the game's bidding, and that you've got no real control.

So there you have it.
    10/10 for graphics.
    10/10 for story.
    10/10 for fun (I've managed to complete the game about 7 times and it's still fun to send splicers sprawling)
    8/10 for QA - there are some issues there. This game isn't perfect.
    9/10 for the details (Come on. How many other shooters have a fortune teller, corpses in bathtubs, a forest at the bottom of the ocean, and vast cityscapes complete with individually tailored neon signs out of every window).

Much as it's frowned upon to say this - but if you play this expecting a re-run of your favourite railshooter, straight RPG, or online repetitive CoD battle, then expect to be disappointed.
    If despite instant regenerations, falling into mountains of cash and guns, and the ability to go back and one-hit kill all those wretched first level enemies for goodies, you still don't have enough weaponry. - then the problem is possibly that the player is bad at shooters, rather than a bad game.

The difficulty can easily be turned up at any point. Instant re-spawns can be turned off. And if you don't like the plasmids, then don't use them.

P.s. Play this game in the dark. And get the sequel.
  92. HI8R
    Jan 1, 2010
    Finished it on all 3 levels and both endings. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun and almost easy. Gameplay is reliable, smooth and consistant. A great balance of action and adventure without frustration. I give an 8 because the graphic style was a little outdated in my opinion even maxed out with DX10, but it works for this game. Im looking forward to Bioshock 2.
  93. DavidD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of the game, but it's not as finished as I would have expected. Expand
  94. ChrisD
    Oct 18, 2007
    This game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do getThis game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do get all the achievements through the first run, theres not really anything to go back and replay the game. Expand
  95. JojoFine
    Sep 1, 2007
    People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the fast-paced, first-person gameplay, but neither of those two archetypes should have bought this game to begin with. It's like playing chess and complaining that it isn't enough like checkers. This is a niche game and, while it contains shooter and RPG elements, essentially defines it's own genre. There are few elements of the game that should be objectionable to fan's of both RPGs and shooters, as the game does try to please everyone, and any open-minded gamer should be able to see the solid gameplay and exquisite storytelling present in Bioshock. This game reminds me a lot of Rainbow Six Vegas, and this is why. Vegas was an effort on the part of Ubisoft to rejuvenate the Rainbow Six squad-based tactical franchise. However, along the way, the game got dumbed down to be more accessible to a wider audience, with weapon and armor stats stripped down to the bare minimum and tactics enacted on the battlefield as opposed to in a pre-gameplay planning session. Bioshock does the same for RPG-shooters of the past, such as System Shock and Deus Ex. The gameplay is still there, and the main attraction is still the open-ended gameplay and the RPG decisions which would then translate into tangible advantages while playing in real time. However, the RPG elements have been shaved down to save the shooter fanatic from losing interest. Anyone who thinks that this game is overly complicated and therefore not as fun as a standard kill-fest obviously isn't coming into it with the proper intention of playing a game in which the satisfaction comes from being able to play the game your own way. The character-building options are extremely varied and provide interesting new gameplay options and if you chose to forgo taking advantage of these customization options, it's your own fault if you find the game boring and derivative. Expand
  96. VernR.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too dark, I know it's under the sea and all but the contrast could be upped a bit. I was so happy to get to Arcadia with all it's greenery and light... and then it all died and went yellow-brown :( Following from the graphics the atmosphere was really good but the sudden bursts of music were irritating and tended to occur whilst Atlas was talking to me. Also the game is very linear which detracts from the atmosphere somewhat... a just charge attitude works fine. My main gripe is with the combat, I found it very easy and very samey (I'm playing on hard). Even with the inclusion of the re-spawn thingys I've rarely died and always seem to have enough ammo - the first Big Daddys are the only difficult battles I've had so far. The AI doesn't make the combat any better as the splicers either run straight at you or run away - chasing down fleeing splices gets old quite fast. It would be nice if they went to find reinforcement or setup ambushes or just something else. Then there's the wrench. I found the majority of combat to be a back and forwards close range dance whilst trying to hit my victim in the head with it (after setting them on fire). And there aren't really that many enemies... I think I've counted five splices and two types of big daddys I'm hoping I'll come across more but I suspect not... they just seem to be getting more health. Lastly there's the annoying hacking sub-game. It's fun the first few times but I must have hacked on the order of hundreds of things... it's getting tiresome. Expand
  97. AndrewBurg
    Oct 1, 2007
    Well after a lot of trailers, TV commercials, teasers and demos Bioshock has come to PC and Xbox360 and I can honestly say, I'm impressed.
    I wouldn't say it's entirely new, but pretty original in any case. It's got an amazing theme, atmosphere and characters. You'll find yourself facing logic puzzles and very tough foes, but to almost every problem there's generally an easier alternative; so it's best to keep your wits about you, especially during the tougher parts.
    Graphics-wise the 360 is well equipped but it's pretty tough on the PC. For those who have the capability you will be generously rewarded by the stunning detail of the characters, and ofcourse the underwater city enviroment, which has been very well designed on screen and very believable. Overall I found it entertaining, sometimes frustrating and always suspensive and I believe this game delivers home what any good FPS should provide. (An amphibian one that is!)
  98. Antonio
    Jul 16, 2008
    OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big daddies/little sisters (the girlish cry over the fallen daddy, saving the sister animation Expand
  99. AlexHemling
    May 14, 2009
    This is the best single player game i have ever played I don't care what anyone says. All of you all ways say "Ooh this game sucks because i doesn't have online"...before online we only played offline.So who cares that's what I think makes this game good a some parts.
  100. JoeK.
    May 19, 2009
    GREAT GAME!
  101. Jan 31, 2012

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.