8.4

1. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game. It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    ok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i can honestly say i had more fun play cod ghosts. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  4. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  5. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    Well, this game is awful... why? VITA CHAMBER... I can not think of any other easiest game than this one... what's the point on playing on HARD difficulty if those damn vita chambers resurrect you anytime you die?!!?! I literally beated this game using the wrench 95% of the times, I even beated big daddies with the wrench... BORING!
  7. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. oing beyond "run and gun corridors," "monster-closet AIs" and static worlds, BioShock creates a living, unique and unpredictable FPS experience. After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no Expand
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    Loved the atmosphere and the story, but the gameplay is EXTREMELY lacking.

Everything gameplay-wise is poorly designed, from the frantic looting to the poor puzzles and messy equipment window.
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    Insanely overrated FPS. The gun-play is poor at best, the shotgun feels somewhat good but the rest of the weapons are disappointing. I suppose this is to force you to use the plasmids as well but they are mostly a disappointment with a few core ones you can use. The environment is interesting but the enemies quickly wear on you, a bunch of psychopaths running around that have somehow managed to survive and just wait for you to show up. The game feels pretentious, and throws a bunch of crap at you to try and seem deep and dark but the story is crap, especially the ending which was a bit of a joke. The final boss fight was decent but way too easy; even with minimal preparation I beat it in one go. Expand
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  11. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant.

I forced
    myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    Boring, glitchy and pretty irritating.
    Also managed to screw up my saved games and after a while stopped running.
    I regret buying this game.
    One of the few titles I am sorry I spent money on.
  13. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  14. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  15. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  16. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  17. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  18. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the
    plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  19. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  20. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  21. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  22. Aug 15, 2010
    What's the big fuss about? I played 3hours without havin' one second of fun.
    Graphics are good, I don't like the cartoonish style ( I loved TF2's style).
    Story is entertaining till you understand that youre never gonna meet any characters on your road.
    Environment is exciting first 30min, then I got bored of it.
    Gameplay wise, the plasmids are fun at the first use, then they become boring.
    Gun have nothing special.
    Aswell, it's not linear enough for me, I don't like repeately coming back on my steps lost in those god forsaken tunnels, I was expecting more of a half life 2 'ish feel.
    Worst part is when you come back on yout steps, more ennemies replace the ones you already killed.
    The games main selling point is the background and the gameplay...the gameplay was for me boring, oh I'm supposed to combine plasmids and guns? well... I tried that and it felt fun onece, then the other 500 times it felt boring, I'd rather play serious sam if it's to run down corridors killing the same npcs over and over again with the same methods.
    5/10 and -2 for those who made a fuss about the game, and made me buy it...

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.