BioShock PC

8.5

1. Apr 10, 2017
    Bioshock has some of the best narrative and visual storytelling I have ever seen in a video game. It is a journey unlike anything I have played before, and shows that video games can be an art form!
  2. Apr 5, 2017
    Amazing game set in a dystopian underwater city. It's 9 years old by now, but the gameplay still holds up great. Interesting story and lore that drives the game forward. Cool level design with a very haunting atmosphere.
  3. Mar 3, 2017
    A masterpiece of audiovisual narrative, with the unbeatable atmosphere that only the most memorable video game scenarios can manage to achieve, BioShock remains as an enthralling, fun, intense and almost flawless FPS.
  4. Feb 14, 2017
    For me, this game is the best game of all time. Despite some technical problems, that most of the games were facing at that time, this is a special experience that reached perfection in almost any aspect. Interesting and unique plot, fantastic environmental story telling, challenging gameplay with many choices on combat, crafting and upgrading items and abilities, and amazing atmosphereFor me, this game is the best game of all time. Despite some technical problems, that most of the games were facing at that time, this is a special experience that reached perfection in almost any aspect. Interesting and unique plot, fantastic environmental story telling, challenging gameplay with many choices on combat, crafting and upgrading items and abilities, and amazing atmosphere and art direction. It has aged well and I recommend this version over the remaster, except if you buy it on the next gen consoles. Expand
  5. Feb 13, 2017
    If you want a game that will both scare you and leave you awake late at night pondering life then this game is for you. Bioshock is a first-person horror and shooter heavily that takes a lot of its ideas from a book by Ayn Rand called Atlas Shrugged. Bioshock is set in a underwater dystopian city called Rapture and yes, you heard me right it’s underwater. And you also get superpowers byIf you want a game that will both scare you and leave you awake late at night pondering life then this game is for you. Bioshock is a first-person horror and shooter heavily that takes a lot of its ideas from a book by Ayn Rand called Atlas Shrugged. Bioshock is set in a underwater dystopian city called Rapture and yes, you heard me right it’s underwater. And you also get superpowers by injecting yourself with juice found from underwater slugs called ADAM. Yeah it gets even crazier from there.

In Bioshock you play as Jack a man who is flying on a plane to Britain to visit some family members when, suddenly the plane crashes. He survives the plane crash and swims through the debris to find a mysterious lighthouse he goes inside and enters this kind of mini submarine and then finds the city of Rapture. But, he quickly finds that Rapture has fallen to ruin and its inhabitants have been deformed into these monsters called splicers who have been morphed by overdosing on ADAM. Jack is guided by a friendly irish man named Atlas because he makes Jack promise to help him find his wife and son.

Bioshock is a game that relies on it’s atmosphere to convey its story. At the beginning of a level you will see a cracked window that is leaking water and is slowly flooding the room and later on in that same level you will be able to overhear a enemy talking about how he was the guy who cracked the window. There is also a great quote later in the game that kinda makes you think about life and who you are. The game’s levels are very well designed too and they are all structured well like this you enter the new location, you meet the villain of said level, you do some things that lead you to a new weapon, then you use that weapon to defeat the bad guy. But there is one major thing wrong with this game. The final level I won’t spoil anything but the ending is extremely sloppy. And the graphics although for the most part might be good but other times it is very bad.

Bioshock is a very creative and for the most part a good game but with a few faults. The story is creative the idea of a underwater city is really cool. The voice acting is also very good and immersive. But the ending is kinda a let down and might leave you wanting more. My final rating for bioshock is a 8/10.

Pros
    Very creative story
    Cool setting
    Good voice acting
    Great level design
    Cons
    Ending is pretty bad
    Graphics are sometimes bad
  6. Jan 27, 2017
    Good game but heavily overrated by the critics. At the start it really blew me away with crisp gameplay and wonderful atmosphere. After 1/3 it becomes too repetitve though with little new things going on. Still good game. Finished it in 14 hours.
  7. Jan 26, 2017
    Truly a masterpiece. Atmospheric is the best word to describe Bioshock. Its graphics are a little better than average although its sound design is on another level. The cackle of a splicer, the groans and stomps of the Big Daddies, the garbled 1950s music, all of it is just so well done and brings the otherwise desolate halls of Rapture to life. The retro-futuristic design of the machinesTruly a masterpiece. Atmospheric is the best word to describe Bioshock. Its graphics are a little better than average although its sound design is on another level. The cackle of a splicer, the groans and stomps of the Big Daddies, the garbled 1950s music, all of it is just so well done and brings the otherwise desolate halls of Rapture to life. The retro-futuristic design of the machines and Art Deco design scheme show how much the developers researched the time period and the style to get everything right. The plot was interesting enough for me and kept me avidly playing until the end although I can see why people thought that it got kinda drab after a certain point. As for the hacking - its isn't required to play the game although learning to master it will make the game noticeably easier (who doesn't want flying machine gun turret drones helping them out?). Overall a game that was way ahead of its time and still continues to be amazing today. Expand
  8. Jan 6, 2017
    Fantastic. Engrossing, unique, and interesting world. Plays wonderfully. It's own artistic style is great. Plot captures you from start to finish. Only gripe is it could have done with a more in depth character development system.
  9. Dec 2, 2016
    Excellent setting, narrative, aesthetic, mood, themes, and tone. Some of those might have been redundant, but this game deserves redundant praise. The combat is good enough to not detract from the game, but isn't too special. Plasmids seem like an interesting concept, but end up playing very similar to each other.
  10. Oct 26, 2016
    So I finally got my hands on Bioshock. I've been tracking this game for years and just recently finished it. Although I never played System Shock, my favourite game is Deus Ex. So now you'll going to see, how this game stands up against other fps games. But this time around, we are visiting an underwater city called Rapture.

To start with the story, it is quite deep and it gets better

To start with the story, it is quite deep and it gets better and better towards the end. At the beginning, some things may seem a bit unconnected, but later on, you'll remember the early stories and connect them to people and objects you find then. But it's of course not just the story worth mentioning. It's the combat system that makes this game exciting. Mostly because AI is damn good. Graphics are very good also, Rapture is very detailed and watter here is extremely realistic. But nothing can outperform the sounds of Rapture. There are also a lot of small things that make this game very attractive, like the use of plasmids and tonics which enhance your abilities in combat.

But there are also some problems with the game. You are constantly fighting the same enemies throughout the whole game and that makes Bioshock a bit repetitive. Menus are also not that well designed and you are easily lost trying to find a very important message. Also the game is very psychotic with lots of blood everywhere, but I can not decide for you if that is a bad or a good thing. The game is also too short, when you finally get used and start mastering all the plasmids, tonics and other tools, the game is over.

Don't think now that I was disappointed. Bioshock is a great game overall,maybe a bit repetitive, but a great game. You won't miss anything by getting it, you'll miss a lot by missing it! And that's the whole point. So is a new Deus Ex in the house? No, it's Bioshock!
  11. Oct 26, 2016
    One of the best games i have ever played, also my second favourite of all time!

One of the best games i have ever played, also my second favourite of all time!

Damn good first person shooter Horror action, from start to end this game IS going to have you hooked. Forget even some of the most AAA titles that are out, this is the awesomeness, that every gamer should expect from there game. Not only are the visuals insanely good for its days, but the controls are so perfectly suited for the game. My favourite part of the game is fighting the Big Daddy. So action packed, you will get intensely immersed the second you start playing this. You will think that most triple AAA titles out there are boring after you finish this game.

E to the EPIC!
  12. Aug 27, 2016
    BioShock is a first-person shooter video game .
    It has been defined by its developers themselves as " spiritual " sequel .
    the main resources in the game are the Adam , Eve and the money
  13. Jul 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock is a singular shooter. At the beginning it looks a little as a horror survival, the dark ambience and the fact that you can store health rations and “eve” syringes. Eve is like mana, that your character spend to use skills similar to magic, but that are in fact genetic improvements. Soon after the beginning you can see why this is a shooter, although an uncommon one.

This game happens in a submerged city that you found seemly by accident after your plane crashes in the middle of the sea. The society in this city is some kind of libertarian utopia that went bad, resulting in its destruction. There we can find many places collapsing to the ocean around, and its inhabitants, the splicers, which are the result of genetic modifications by a substance called ADAM, designed to improve humankind with supernatural powers, but that in the end made its users lose their minds. The splicers are aggressive and attack you on sight.

As you progress, you find the little sisters; little girls with super regenerative powers that you can kill to either get ADAM or take ADAM from their bodies in small quantities letting them alive. Depending of your decision about them the end game changes. These girls suck ADAM from dead bodies with syringes, while being protected by the bid daddies, a big mutant holding mechanical weapons. As you progress through the game, you learn that they both are educated and genetically designed to behave as they do.

You are constantly receiving direction from both a woman that takes care of the girls and thank or reprimand you according to your actions towards them, and a man, which appears to be in distress and wants you to kill the man who idealized this city, Andrew Ryan. As you learn about the city it is very interesting the political views expressed by Ryan, he is some kind of a social Darwinist, which sees the modern government as the means to rob the best from their work to sustain the parasites.

As your approach him is harder and harder to see him as an evil villain, he is more of a idealist. He built this city under the water because he knew the governments from the rest of the world would never let a free society exist like that. The great plot twist you learn is that you are an assassin specially trained to kill Ryan for his ideas, even though his failure already condemned the city. Our character is trained in such a way that is impossible for him to act in any other way, hence Ryan famous phrase “a man chooses, a slave obeys”.

It’s a very interesting game, specially the way the plot develops, murking the validity of our efforts. The only negative point is about the character death in the game. There is no real consequence, we are just spawn back into the fight, this takes away a lot of the challenge the game could pose. In this case they should have had a more traditional approach, with death meaning the necessity to try again since the beginning.
  14. Jul 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything about BioShock is brilliant. The story, the atmosphere, the gameplay and the writing all shine here. The game was developed by Irrational Games' Ken Levine, who also made the System Shock 2. Mister Levine certainly knows how to make survival horror game in a twisted environment with a silent protagonist. Anyways, the game starts out in a plane with our main character, Jack Ryan. Then the plane crashes and we're thrown into one of the most sadistic and frightening worlds in video game history. And I love it. I feel like the best way to experience BioShock is by knowing next to nothing about it, like I did when I first played it last weekend. The gameplay is stellar, with a mix of standard first-person shooting and strange power ups called 'Plasmids'. They can let you shoot electricity out of your hand, and lift stuff up and throw things at people. Its pretty damn fun. The music is terrifyingly brilliant and gives me chills each time I hear it. It sets the environment incredibly well. The story, while very similar to System Shock 2's is still engaging and has a twist that actually surprised me. The writing is also brilliant and really holds the game up through the dull and mundane moments it has.

One of my few problems with the game is that it's pretty easy. I played the game on normal and only died twice. Another problem I have with the game is that the Big Daddy fights (Big Daddies are robots you have to kill to get to Little Sisters' who give you Adam which you use to get power ups) are too easy and get very boring after a while, particularly if you beat the game in one sitting like I did. Also, some parts of the game did get kind of repetitive as it progressed.

Those are probably my only flaws with the game. It truly is a magnificent experience that I enjoyed immensely. I definitely won't be forgetting about Rapture any time soon.

Those are m
  15. May 31, 2016
    Mi juego preferito de la séptima generación sin duda. Es cierto que mirando ahora la jugabilidad no es lo más puntero del mundo, pero cumple más que bien, pero donde más reside el encanto de este juego es en la historia, y qué historia! La manera en la que te la cuentan y como te das cuenta de todo es brillante, tanto como la ambientación de este juego. Un juego que se debe jugar sí o sí.
  16. Apr 13, 2016
    2014 y es primera vez que lo juego. Un juego de lujo que engancha demasiado:

Pros: - Excelente Historia. -Jugabilidad Increible: Varias armas, varios tipos de munición, los divertidos y geniales plásmidos, los tónicos que te ayudarán a combatir, sobrevivir y piratear mejor. - La música es genial a lo largo del juego, disfrutable. - Personajes bien desarrollados, con carisma y
    2014 y es primera vez que lo juego. Un juego de lujo que engancha demasiado:

Pros:
    - Excelente Historia.
    - La música es genial a lo largo del juego, disfrutable.
    - Personajes bien desarrollados, con carisma y profundos.
    - Dificultad: te hace sentir vulnerable, escasa munición, escaso dinero, enemigos fuertes, Big Daddys muy fuertes, tendrás que ingeniertelas para sobrevivir y salir airoso de las batallas.
    - Muy buenos gráficos, incluso para lo viejo que es, se sienten muy bien aún.

Contras:
    -Solo en mi caso particular, encontré que estiraron mucho la trama para que no acabara tan pronto.

9.5/10
  17. Apr 10, 2016
    One of the best game ever (for me, all Bioshock episodes). Art direction harmony is unbelievable and the feeling of the whole game is awesome. It is a cult game! Is somebody did not play with it, it is a must. All the Bioshock episodes have some unique feeling which games still can compete with now days games!!!
    Thank you for giving us this interactive story!
  18. Mar 21, 2016
    One of the best games, if not THE best game, I've ever played. The atmosphere is great, the plot is great, the gameplay is great, everything about Bioshock is great. Rapture will pull you in with its deep background, and will never leave you, even years after you've beaten the game. Deep story with a lot of philosophy behind it. The disappointing last act is Bioshock's only weakness, andOne of the best games, if not THE best game, I've ever played. The atmosphere is great, the plot is great, the gameplay is great, everything about Bioshock is great. Rapture will pull you in with its deep background, and will never leave you, even years after you've beaten the game. Deep story with a lot of philosophy behind it. The disappointing last act is Bioshock's only weakness, and even so I couldn't recommend a game highly. Play it. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2016
    Bioshock is one of my all-time favorite games. It's atmosphere is as damp as the city of Rapture itself, and it's literally underwater! It's gameplay is captivating, having you scavenge for supplies and make use of the city's genetic experiments to combat the obstacles around you and use your environment to your advantage. It's world is quite unpleasant, but there's no place I'd rather be, really.
  20. Jan 27, 2016
    Terrific game! I just finished it for the third time, and it's just as relevant several years later. The gameplay is incredibly balanced and the environment is very spooky.
  21. Jan 22, 2016
    Where to start with Bioshock. The beautiful world of Rapture as you descend into it, only to discover what really lies in it about 5 minutes later, the creative plasmids, difficult enemy AI, hearing splicers screaming from several rooms away, accidentally activating an El Ammo Bandito and becoming terrified all the splicers will run after you, accidentally walking into the path of aWhere to start with Bioshock. The beautiful world of Rapture as you descend into it, only to discover what really lies in it about 5 minutes later, the creative plasmids, difficult enemy AI, hearing splicers screaming from several rooms away, accidentally activating an El Ammo Bandito and becoming terrified all the splicers will run after you, accidentally walking into the path of a machine gun turret. Overall Bioshock is one of e most unique fps games I've ever played and I highly recommend it. Expand
  22. Jan 22, 2016
    It is a most amazing game ever created - in my opinion.
    Extremly addictive story with an amazing "plot twister", great, dark climate and feeling of claustrophobia caused by surrounding us Atlantic ocean and all of that topped with an amazing music that highlights brutality of underwater city - Rapture.
    It is a most amazing game ever created - in my opinion.

And yet questionable matter is game mechanics - specialy shooting system what most of the time feels very plastic and gives us conviction of bullets bouncing from enemies.
    But the thing that sustains the positive reception of combat mechanics are plasmids - some sort of "super powers". Thanks to them we can shoot with thunders, fireballs and do many more things.

Summary:

Ken Levine (creator of classic System Shock 2) delivered us an amazing piece of work. The world he created in Bioshock is breathtaking and deserved a recognition.
    There are some bugs and problems with shooting system but the story and the world of the game save the day.

That's why i give this game 10/10. Not becouse it is a perfect game - becouse perfect games doesn't exist - but becouse this game is polished in most of the key aspects that let game recipient realy dip into the virtual world which feels so real and alive. So this is 9/10, but in my personal feeling 10/10.
  23. Jan 3, 2016
    Excellent story with a unique twist. Amazing Atmosphere with varied and challenging combat.

Graphics: 8
    Game play : 9
    Combat: 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 7
    Immersion: 9
    Story: 10
  24. Dec 13, 2015
    There is no word that can describe the extremely gorgeous and magnificent BioShock. Perhaps the game deserves the word "Masterpiece". Perhaps it does.
  25. Dec 1, 2015
    Somewhere beyond the sea a fun as heck game is indeed waiting for me. This game will not be a game you play 50 times over, but those few play through's you get out of it will make you fall in love with Bioshock. The game's atmosphere is excellent and the gun play feels great when you learn the tricks. Game is great for someone who can't live without their dystopia fix.
  26. Dec 1, 2015
    Masterpiece.............
    ................ . .
  27. Nov 29, 2015
    BioShock deserves every accolade that has been bestowed upon it. The underground city of Rapture is one of the most immersive and fully-realized game worlds ever created, and the way the narrative unfolds is impressive and original. The level design also shines, allowing you to progress through the levels in a way that fits your own personal playstyle. While the gameplay is great, it isBioShock deserves every accolade that has been bestowed upon it. The underground city of Rapture is one of the most immersive and fully-realized game worlds ever created, and the way the narrative unfolds is impressive and original. The level design also shines, allowing you to progress through the levels in a way that fits your own personal playstyle. While the gameplay is great, it is the story and the setting that really make BioShock the masterpiece that it is; few games possess the same level of narrative strength, boldness, and originality. Expand
  28. Nov 25, 2015
    One of the best games of all time with graphics that still stand up today and a story with a twist worthy of a (good) M Knight movie. This is one game every true gamer should play to completion.
  29. Nov 11, 2015
    Absolutely amazing atmosphere and visual design It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment game play, storyline, sound, and graphics all top notch, loved the water effects.
  30. Nov 9, 2015
    Out of the dozens of games I have played, Bioshock would have to be my personal favourite. Its strategic, gruesome combat, wonderfully scripted characters and stories, stunning art direction and plenty of replay value. It is not the perfect game, nor the most fun, but it is a masterpiece of atmosphere, writing and mood.

Positives: - Fantastic script - Layered FPS/RPG combat -

Positives:
    - Fantastic script
    - Layered FPS/RPG combat
    - Excellent visual and sound design
    - Plenty of secret audio logs and upgrades

Negatives:
    - Rushed ending
    - Half-baked morality system

Rating: 10/10 (Must Own)
  31. Oct 23, 2015
    Entorno perfecto, ambiente perfecto, todo está perfectamente ensamblado en este juego. Nadie diría que un FPS tendría una historia TAN BESTIAL como tiene Bioshock. Increíble.
  32. Sep 10, 2015
    Bioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of deliveringBioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of delivering interesting information and backstory about the game's world and setting to the player, without getting boring. Expand
  33. Aug 14, 2015
    Overall excellent gameplay, story, visuals and audio combine to make this game one of the most memorable and enjoyable games that i have played. Highly recommended!
  34. Aug 3, 2015
    I was never a big fan of horror games and most times I will avoid them at all costs, since I am a big scaredy cat. But Bioshock made me want to immerse myself in the beautiful horrors of its world and it is one of those rare things, where the horror and blood actually improves the story. I've never again saw a game where the game play enhance the story and other way round. I truly recommend it!
  35. Aug 2, 2015
    Next to Half-Life 2 this is my favorite FPS of all time. Actually it mixes various elements of RPG, science-fiction FPS, and a little bit of survival horror. The atmosphere of Rapture is incredible, the story is very goood and kinda sick. But the best part of the game is the nearly infinite variation of a combat to make. Everyone must know this one.
  36. Jul 2, 2015
    I don't have a lot of experience in FPS. I've played Counter Strike, The Thing, IGI (Both parts). Yeah I know, I don't have experience, right? What I've learned through those gorgeous hours of playing BioShock is how different this game is.

Firstly, it's not just a first person shooter. There's a story in the background that tends to draw out frustration, fear, anxiety, moral choices from the shooter. The eerie music, sound work, amazing architecture, and of course, Atlas' narration throughout the game (not forgetting those audio clips you collect) help set up a very different and immersible world. Whereas the other FPS is simply hide, organize and shoot. Here we also have the independence of upgrading weapons, wasting sweet hours in exploring the area for enticing collectibles, toy around with enemies. And at the same time, get really scared and entertained whilst facing all the big/small obstacles. It's really engaging.

Secondly, I liked how the story advances based on our choices. This, of course, I don't want to spoil. So beware and make the right choices. The ending depends on it.

The game doesn't come without a few faults but I mostly blame it to how hyped it was. Listening to all the "Wow, best game ever" comments, I thought it will be different. So, when I saw the "collect these things for objective/go there for the next objective" I was slightly disappointed. Also, the ending, despite being amazing, felt lazy and too rushed and it sort of betrays the player as he/she has been immersed for so many hours. Of course, I'm to blame here as I expected something else.

Still, it doesn't overlook the fact at how it made me feel. I was amazed, shocked (the twists are really smart and brilliantly executed), scared and at one point, even had the urge to cry. But eventually, it left me with a smile, knowing that I've finally found a meaningful game to spend hours of time on, just so that I get in the Labyrinthine world of Rapture, a graveyard of brilliant artisans gone absolutely mad...

PS: Sander Cohen is my favorite character!
  37. Jun 24, 2015
    BioShock is an eerie and scary game, but it is a great classic to play! With all of its plot twists and unfortunate events, this is truly a great videogame series, the game runs very well on modern day PC's but with some slight freezes (which I probably think is from my antivirus software) and also sometimes the frame rate drops when there is fire everywhere, I can't really understandBioShock is an eerie and scary game, but it is a great classic to play! With all of its plot twists and unfortunate events, this is truly a great videogame series, the game runs very well on modern day PC's but with some slight freezes (which I probably think is from my antivirus software) and also sometimes the frame rate drops when there is fire everywhere, I can't really understand because my PC is quite a good gaming PC, but anyways, still a great game

The only problem I have with the game is the AI, the AI is so dumb when you play it in Easy mode, the enemies just pass by you and completely ignore you, or when a Big Daddy is right in front of you, he just sees you and walks away, if you want a challenge, don't play it on Easy mode!

Characters sometimes dissapear and are only heard, like 2 hours into the game I saw a Little Sister with a Big Daddy, I killed the Big Daddy and then all of a sudden, I could hear the Little Sister but could not find her, and sometimes I hear side characters talking but not in the area I'm in, quite annoying!

Another problem I have with the game is the audio clipping, sometimes the audio logs which I listen into get clipped with the main dialogue, honestly, 2K Boston could of made it that when the main dialogue occurs, the audio log stops and continues right after, also sometimes the audio levels vary greatly, sometimes they are the right volume, next it flat out loud, and some of the voices in the game are muffled whilst others sound clear, I don't know why that is...

Another problem I have is the amount of fetch quests, I HATE loads of fetch quests, and this game has loads of fetch quests, I can understand that 2K Boston wanted you to experience Rapture, but too much is too many...

But, overall this is a great classic, AND if they ever have another 2K Weekend or sale and are selling the BioShock Triple Pack for 15.00EUR or less, GET IT!!!

Now, would you kindly like this review and buy the game
  38. May 25, 2015
    And I must praise this game enough because, first, I was never a big fan of FPS games, but this game pleased me enough, good gameplay, a half-crazy story, and graphs until cool.
  39. May 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock starts with player-jack-`s accident, before he enters 'Rapture' that is the city represents under-water utopia, at first. 'Rapture' uses new energy called ADAM, finding form sea snails. As using more and more ADAM, new ADAM precess that gather from young girls (called little sisters) is invented. ADAM have strong addictiveness to users and after addiction, they become aggressive and monster-like appearance. Player judges kill this 'little sister' to be powerful or save her for your humanity. Finishing this game, though I have lots of words to describe this game, the only one I say is "To clear bioshock easily, I killed many little sisters. It is just game, but I find that I can become brutal to complete my purpose. This game makes me feel uncomfortable." Expand
  40. May 19, 2015
    1960, you play as Jack. An only survivor of a plane crash in the middle of an Atlantic Ocean where he finds lighthouse that leads him to Rapture, an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man with a vision to create a utopia where people aren't restrected to government, religion, and morality. But rapture is in a civil war caused by a rebelion group lead by Atlas. Bioshock is an FPS1960, you play as Jack. An only survivor of a plane crash in the middle of an Atlantic Ocean where he finds lighthouse that leads him to Rapture, an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man with a vision to create a utopia where people aren't restrected to government, religion, and morality. But rapture is in a civil war caused by a rebelion group lead by Atlas. Bioshock is an FPS game where you use weapons and superpowers. You can also upgrade your weapons, superpowers, and your character throughout the game. The story is very complex as you will mostly learn them via audio recordings of peoples in Rapture that you'll find throughout the game. The atmosphere is very unique. Expand
  41. Apr 13, 2015
    This is literally the best thing i have ever seen, not just among games but also within all kinds of arts including movies, novels, musicals, and plays. As most components in this game is much better than good, i can't mention all of them here, and will speak of the only problem i found. 'the subtitles are a bit slower than speakings.'
  42. Apr 6, 2015
    +Unforgettable atmosphere
    +Amazing visual design
    +Incredible sound and jazz music
    +Big Daddies and Little Sisters
    +Grandiose and horrific Rapture is one of the best world in video games
    -Gameplay may seem boring to some

43. Mar 5, 2015
    Bioshock is an FPS produced by 2K Boston (now Irrational Games) and published by 2K Games. The game is set somewhere in the 1960, when the protagonist, Jack, is fortunate to crash the plane into the ocean. Here come into Rapture, an underwater oas built by businessman Andrew Ryan. The game is super well done in many ways, the sound of the voice-acting community. The graphics are very goodBioshock is an FPS produced by 2K Boston (now Irrational Games) and published by 2K Games. The game is set somewhere in the 1960, when the protagonist, Jack, is fortunate to crash the plane into the ocean. Here come into Rapture, an underwater oas built by businessman Andrew Ryan. The game is super well done in many ways, the sound of the voice-acting community. The graphics are very good for the game year. Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2014
    An unforgettable experience. I usually forget how great it is until I start playing it again.
    Though, it has a few issues that scream "console port!!!". Fortunately, most of them can be fixed via hacks.
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes: 1) Mouse aim is wonky as Heaven - fixed via a mouse fix .bat file posted by Steam user "gudnaimsartaekn" 2) No FOV slider - fixed via an
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes:
    2) No FOV slider - fixed via an app called Flawless Widescreen
    Other than that, it's just minor stuff that doesn't affect the core experience. Sometimes when there's a lot going on, a sound clip may get forgotten to play. The physics for objects and ragdolls have a lowish framerate. Overall, the game performs very well on low-med hardware, even with forced power-hungry anti-aliasing.
    I rate it 9/10 WITH the fixes. Without... 7.5/10. Worth playing no matter what.
    Now with technical stuff out of the way, I must say the story, characters, setting, immersion, art style and gameplay are all excellent! The hacking puzzles are a little overdone (sequel is way better), but if you've got a mouse, you'll have the upper hand over a gamepad every time and won't get as annoyed when hacking.
    Conclusion: If you don't mind some troubleshooting to get the best experience, GREAT! Then PC is for you. If you hate doing things on your own, go the peasant route; play the console, enjoy the jaggies, cinematic framerate and massive amounts of aim assist. Hahaha. Kidding about the peasant part. I like consoles to some degree. My wife beat Bioshock on PS3 five times in Standard Definition (Oh, the agony!), so I tuned everything up for her on my PC... 75fps (v-synced), 95 FOV, 4x SGSSAA, precise mouse aim, etc. I won't forget her reaction :P
    One thing I wish would work in Bioshock is Nvidia's HBAO+ (ambient occlusion). When it works, it looks fantastic! But sadly it flickers when viewing certain angles, sooo can't have that. Oh well.
    Anyway, great game. Play it if you haven't.
  45. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

Bioshock has an amazing story with an outstanding setting. The voice acting is phenomenal, the controls are fluid, and the gameplay is extremely fun. There is only one flaw that keeps this game from being flawless: the difficulty. No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the game. No matter how many times you get your ass kicked by a splicer, or how many times a big daddy smashes your skull with his over-sized boots, you'll always respawn just seconds after you die with little penalty. This somewhat feels like the game is holding your hand all the way through. You can turn off the Vita-chambers so this doesn't happen, but you can still save/load the game at any point... which kinda cancels out the point of turning them off in the first place.

The difficulty is not what makes this game amazing, it's the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the creepiness, they mystery, the suspense... the list goes on. I can't go too much into detail about it however, because it's not something I can explain. You have to play the game yourself to understand.

Bioshock is a fantastic game, and my favorite one to this day. It's a shame that it's buried under tons of other games people hold above it. But, I guess under the sea, things are different. (That was a pun.)
  46. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is what a FPS should be. The story was amazing, with many twists and turns along the way. The setting, Rapture, is a beautiful yet eerie place to explore. The game play is solid, the plasmids make fights interesting. Bioshock is one of the best FPS games ever made, and will not be replicated.
  47. Dec 1, 2014
    I had always seen the 9/10 ratings on the Bioshock series and wondered if it was worth it. I play mainly multiplayer FPS games so this being a single player title turned me off.

Boyo, was I wrong. Bioshock is easily one of the best single player experiences I have EVER had. The story is engrossing, the environments are so original and creative. The voice acting is superb. This game has all the elements of FPS's nowadays, but back in August 2007.

This game proudly stands up to Zelda, Final Fantasy, and other single-player greats and gives them a run for their money. Took me 25 hours and $5, would have gladly payed $20.

Now, would you kindly do yourself a favor and buy this game?
  48. Nov 21, 2014
    I played this game back when it was first released and I was blown away. I hadn't played anything like it. I found it to be completely original and very engaging. Great story and cool gameplay mechanics. Just an all-around wonderful title.
  49. Nov 20, 2014
    Bioshock's dark but beautiful world of Rapture creates a believable environment just a step outside of possibility.
    The story, characters, action and music weave together to create an unforgettable piece
  50. Nov 18, 2014
    Brilliant. The only thing keeping it from a "10" for me was the mediocre third act. Had they found a way to end it after the "big" reveal in act two, I would have left feeling like I'd just played a masterpiece of storytelling, character, dialogue and haunting visuals. As it is, it's a near masterpiece.
  51. Oct 14, 2014
    some people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially killsome people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially kill enemies with "HAND POWER!!". i want to give 10/10 in here but i think i can't because this game is Awesome but not really outstanding game i think Expand
  52. Oct 11, 2014
    If I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The gameIf I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The game should only take about 20 hours to beat, quite short for a rpg. But it's game mechanics and game play are brilliant, I just wish that it would be a little more challenging.
    One thing that I don't like about this game is that its theme is very dark and gloomy. Although it really fit the game well, it gets VERY sickening and gloomy. It took me a long time to beat it because I got really sick of the gloomy underwater dark and depressing theme, so I took breaks from it that lasted for months. It isn't really the developer's fault, they did a really good job of creating the theme. It is just very annoying or rather sickening after a while. I would give it an eight but I think the game is just made to be like that and it gave me a wonderful experience(no I don't do drugs).
    The game also have a really weird scare factor. The game-play itself isn't that scary, but the soundtrack and audio made it seem scary as shirt. It's not really the jump out of your seat type scary, more of a daunting type and it never gets old.
    Overall it is a brilliant game, it just lacks a bit more of a challenge, and the theme was a bit annoying. Otherwise this game is brilliant(compared to other games of the same time). Also I forgot to mention that it had probably the BEST story of all of gaming!
  53. Oct 6, 2014
    This game really is one of a kind. It should 100% be above HL and HL2. Those awful games are only up there because they were made by Valve. BUT BIOSHOCK. Dear god, this is a masterpiece. 10/10 You gotta play it for the time of your life.
  54. Oct 3, 2014
    I just want to say before I start my basic "Pros and cons" Review,I love the "Bioshock" games!

Pros:

Amazing game-play

Amazing story!!!

Amazing art!

kinda scary.

Super powers!

Cons:

It's a little bit Cliché'd

KHAAN

There is really nothing else bad about this game,It's worth a buy :D

So I give this game a : 9/10
  55. Oct 2, 2014
    Bioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interestingBioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interesting characters, ideas and a city that looks like an underwater New York, making the game even more chilling. Not only that, but the game is an extremly fun shooter. The weapons feel great, the crafting is fun, the enemies are interesting and the story surprising and engaging. This is a game you simply have to play to understand the simple joy of. Expand
  56. Sep 19, 2014
    Bioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must beBioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must be experienced. Now, would you kindly go play it? Expand
  57. Sep 17, 2014
    Great gameplay, immersive setting, a rather haunting story and the rather frequent jumpscares. My favorite game of all time. Now, if you haven't played the game, would you kindly go do so?
  58. Sep 12, 2014
    Some glitches with Windows 8 (yes it's old) but once fixed I could enjoy it though a bit late, good graphics for the time, beautiful scenery like Arcadia, the only problem I have is that it's still very hard to me even on medium difficulty setting, I do lose lives so often!
  59. Aug 27, 2014
    Even im not a huge fan of shooters, this game make me stick with it until the end.The game has a gret story with a lot of morale values.The strongest point in this a game is his underwater city(Rapture).
  60. Aug 26, 2014
    Bioshock is terrifying but it making you scared and on the edge makes you scared nearly all the time. The game looks good even for it's 7 year old age. The bad guys a insane and the world is dark. However, my favorite part of the game is the story it's gripping it makes you want to play it for hours until you realize it's 3 in the morning. If I was to say some bad things about is that youBioshock is terrifying but it making you scared and on the edge makes you scared nearly all the time. The game looks good even for it's 7 year old age. The bad guys a insane and the world is dark. However, my favorite part of the game is the story it's gripping it makes you want to play it for hours until you realize it's 3 in the morning. If I was to say some bad things about is that you can't use plasmids and weapons at the same time you have to switch between them making combat feel more difficult than it really is. Also there are some missions in the game that requires you to scavenge and it's very frustrating if your not an adventurer. The last thing I don't like about the game is the main character he only speaks in in the opening cut scene and never again your character only has a small piece of personality depending on your ending. But other than that the game is amazing the chances are that on steam you can get all three of the bioshock trilogy in 1 in the sale and I can easily recommend it for full price. Expand
  61. Aug 20, 2014
    It was a really fun game despite how many times i ended up dying. Even someone as bad as me at video games can beat it on medium. The story was great and i can't wait to play the next one!
  62. Aug 20, 2014
    This is a great game, good graphics, gameplay, and a very compelling storyline.
    The only thing/flaw i find is that most of the upper level difficulties do not change much. In other words the game difficulties are too easy or not hard enough. Everything else is great about the game.
  63. Aug 20, 2014
    One of the most overrated games of all time.

Its a beautiful game to just sort of walk around in and enjoy the ambiance. As a spiritual successor to system shock 2 its a complete failure. As an rpg, its a complete failure. As a game all by itself, its merits are very nice scenery, ambiance and a few good set pieces. Other than that, its nothing like the reviews would have
    One of the most overrated games of all time.

Its a beautiful game to just sort of walk around in and enjoy the ambiance.

As a spiritual successor to system shock 2 its a complete failure.

As an rpg, its a complete failure.

Other than that, its nothing like the reviews would have you think (unless you're a console player in which case this is probably the second coming of Jesus).
  64. Aug 20, 2014
    It was not impossible to build Rapture at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to build it anywhere else. - Andrew Ryan .
    It's simply amazing.Great story,great game play and a strange world.
  65. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  66. Aug 15, 2014
    Amazing. Great RPG elements. Scavenging for supplies, and you're heart will be beating when coming across a big daddy and not having enough ammunition. Awesome feature when harvesting the little girls because the game puts you in a situation where you need to survive.
  67. Jul 29, 2014
    This game is most likely the best best story driven game made mainstream, whose shooting mechanics are little more than a tool to advance the story, the main star of the game.
    Setting, music, ambiance, background art style, pacing, cast. all of these attributes are far more important than the action that takes place in the game.
    Far from it seeing as how the action drives all of these
    Far from it seeing as how the action drives all of these key components along at a great pace. You could look up online the perfect builds and upgrades that make even the toughest sections a cake-walk, but in doing so you would rob yourself of one of the best interactive "novels" in gaming history.
    Every cast member, good bad, grey area, even the name-less splicers and long dead apparitions have a story to tell if your patient enough to listen and find it.
    adding to this are "diaries", lost recordings scattered throughout that clue you into what brought about the disaster and chaos you are attempting to undo.
    My only complaint is that at the last moment(or so it goes in story) the publishers(suits) stepped in and forced Ken Levine's hand in changing the outcome of the story to make it more "player" friendly. I would have very much liked that not to be the case
  68. Jul 21, 2014
    A decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lackingA decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lacking and linear gameplay. Expand
  69. Jul 16, 2014
    First there was System Shock, then there was System Shock 2, and now there is Bioshock. I will start of by saying that Bioshock is like a watered-down version of System Shock 2. System Shock 2 is big and massive while Bioshock is small and linear. Now, Bioshock is actually very fun but it is NOT a masterpiece. The thing that brings the game down are the RPG elements. This is NOT an RPG yetFirst there was System Shock, then there was System Shock 2, and now there is Bioshock. I will start of by saying that Bioshock is like a watered-down version of System Shock 2. System Shock 2 is big and massive while Bioshock is small and linear. Now, Bioshock is actually very fun but it is NOT a masterpiece. The thing that brings the game down are the RPG elements. This is NOT an RPG yet it seems like it's trying to be. It has RPG like things but it isn't an RPG. The game is not as good as the critics claim it to be. Now I could say more bad things about the game but I'll say some good things now. The game is just beautiful. It takes place in an underwater city, so yes it is going to be beautiful. There are enemies called Big Daddies. They look like over grow deep sea divers with a giant drill for a hand. The powers you get are pretty cool and you can shoot lighting out of your hands and when enemies are in the water you can shock the water and they will fry. I recommend the game but play System Shock 2 first. Expand
  70. Jul 14, 2014
    BioShock is my all time favorite game. A lot of people seem to not understand why this game is so great. My answer? The details. Starting from the stunning soundtrack, all the through the little easter eggs ending with the dialogs. Playing through the games roughly 10 times i always find every single time i find something that i haven't seen before. The varieties are seemingly endless whenBioShock is my all time favorite game. A lot of people seem to not understand why this game is so great. My answer? The details. Starting from the stunning soundtrack, all the through the little easter eggs ending with the dialogs. Playing through the games roughly 10 times i always find every single time i find something that i haven't seen before. The varieties are seemingly endless when it comes to collecting in this game, a fairly good amount of guns for a single player game, all with special ammunition types and upgrades, then you have the plasmids, the tonics, the extra upgrades from ADAM, crafting, hacking, researching. and of course little sisters. Still some people claim that the gameplay is monotone and is only shooting stuff, well my friend that is because you play on too low difficulty. On higher difficulties you really gotta make a plan and use all resources you can find in order to succeeded. There are amazing gameplay mechanisms out there in Rapture: applying sticky mines to objects (corpses, even explosives barrels) then using telekinesis to throw em onto beefy enemies; setting up huge traps to big daddies paths with the crossbow for instance; camouflage, security bullseye and enrage are art to themselves and the list goes on. But i do give a point to people saying gameplay is still not the main thing making the game, it is arguably the story and the characters. The story as it is is absurd yet really captures one's imagination. But the characters are easily the best one's ever in any video game. The insanity is so well represented, it's literally art. The audio logs are amazing idea, the character development gives you exactly as much inside at a time as you need to have dozes of unique personalities expand before your own eyes.
    To sum up this is one of the very few games in the 21th century where i actually think that the credit list is reasonably long, and you can tell everyone was paying a lot of attention creating this piece of art.
  71. Jul 7, 2014
    8 hours spent in this game.. And honestly the game wasn't that great at all. The high scores attributed to this game is somewhat inaccurate imho. It suffers from poor optimisation (clunky controls, broken audio, etc), and the overall gameplay is very linear. I remember that i once even called it the 'walking simulator', because that's the fact. You basically walk around (no sprinting) from8 hours spent in this game.. And honestly the game wasn't that great at all. The high scores attributed to this game is somewhat inaccurate imho. It suffers from poor optimisation (clunky controls, broken audio, etc), and the overall gameplay is very linear. I remember that i once even called it the 'walking simulator', because that's the fact. You basically walk around (no sprinting) from an area to another. And god is it boring.

One praise that i have for this game is the amazing storyline, I loved it.
  72. Jun 14, 2014
    Game: Bioshock
    Genre: First Person Shooting - Horror
    Developer: 2K Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 6/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story
    Game: Bioshock

• Music: 6/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story to fill you with the lore.
    +Great atmosphere that will bring you both awe and shock
    +Gameplay mechanics are great, unique and gives you a variety of skills and abilities for a FPS genre game
    +Multiple Endings based on a morale decision you make within the game

Cons
    -Music is forgettable or not even noticeable majority of the game
    -Visuals at certain points in the game look like they are from the 6th gen rather than the 7th gen which Bioshock is from.
    -Not much replay value
  73. Jun 14, 2014
    This is the best FPS I've seen for a long. Good story, good visual narative and a good localization. This is one of my favorite FPS with DOOM , BioShock Infinite, System Shock 2, Half Life, Half Life 2
  74. Jun 13, 2014
    Bioshock is phenomenal. I still cannot get over the fact it came out 7 years ago and yet still looks better than half the stuff that came out this year. gun/plasmid play is fun but the game really comes alive with its story and setting. Play it.
  75. Jun 11, 2014
    This is just a great game. Its weapons are alright, the powers are impressive, its graphics are good and its got the good old elements of a classic shooter that many FPS games are lacking these days. Although the game loses its scariness at a cirtain point its still very fun to play and explore. This game has also got some of the smartest enemies ive seen in a game because for example whenThis is just a great game. Its weapons are alright, the powers are impressive, its graphics are good and its got the good old elements of a classic shooter that many FPS games are lacking these days. Although the game loses its scariness at a cirtain point its still very fun to play and explore. This game has also got some of the smartest enemies ive seen in a game because for example when their on fire they know to look for the nearest pond of water and when they know their almost dying in a fight they run off to go and get some health. They just have that realistic common sense. My verdict is that this is a great FPS and will always be great. Expand
  76. Jun 11, 2014
    A truly unrivaled steampunk game in every regard. From the start of the game it pulls you in and does not let you go. And of course, PC makes it look absolutely beautiful. It's also only like $5 if you wait for am Amazon sale.
  77. Jun 10, 2014
    Un FPS muy atractivo y necesario, en el que se conjuga un fuerte mundo narrativa con acción. A nivel gráfico interesante y su relación con el imaginario de Ayn Rand le convierte en una fantástica compra.
  78. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a 'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  79. Jun 1, 2014
    Great graphics for it's time,fascinating story,and the ending is so touching.
    So violent,yet so deep.
    With all if it's faults(due being the first bioshock game),it is really a "must play"!
  80. May 31, 2014
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    I've played lots of games over the years and very rarely has something stood out like BioShock. I was late to the game on this one, playing it years after it came out, but the incredible amount of work put into it made it stand out, even against better looking games.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and go, but Bioshock deserves to join the ranks of Half-life 1 as one of the greatest games in which one shoots other people.
    Story doesnt matter. Characters dont matter. Graphics dont matter. Only what you feel with the gun floating in front of your face matters.
    Very few games give me what I call the Ocarina of Time paradox--I want to play them over and over in order to re experience them, but it becomes less special as I play it more times. I can't wait until enough time has passed for me to play this game again.
  81. May 22, 2014
    Bioshock is, undoubtedly, one of the most intense, unique and beautiful first-person shooter I've ever played. The ambience, graphics, music and special style of gameplay of Bioshock has set the bar for all game developers. 2K has produced a masterpiece; do yourself a favour and play it.
  82. May 18, 2014
    Bioshock is just a classic that every gamer should play. Yes it's an fps, altough different from all the others. And it goes beyond genres because its strong points are the plot , the beautiful world where it is set, the scary and dark moments you will live playing it. It's a classic.
  83. May 9, 2014
    Excelente juego con respecto a historia, muy entretenido y muy buena jugabilidad. El diseño artístico es exelente, ademas muy acorde con la época en la cual se basa el juego.
  84. May 4, 2014
    In the beginning I almost shat in my pants because of these splicers, but after few hours I started to really like it. Those plasmids were really cool. The ending boss was a shame - it was too easy to bit. Because I rescued all of the little sisters I dealt with I got the good ending. The ending was a bit too much touchy, but it was OK. I really liked the idea of a city under the sea.In the beginning I almost shat in my pants because of these splicers, but after few hours I started to really like it. Those plasmids were really cool. The ending boss was a shame - it was too easy to bit. Because I rescued all of the little sisters I dealt with I got the good ending. The ending was a bit too much touchy, but it was OK. I really liked the idea of a city under the sea. Really cool. Expand
  85. Apr 28, 2014
    A true masterpiece. Phenomenal graphics. Immersive atmosphere and great level design. Fantastic shooting mechanics. One of my top 5 favorite games of all time.
  86. Apr 23, 2014
    Most bad shooters are overrated while underrated are excellent retrieval in each hand of playing. BioShock is a fascinating, worth it -- unlike traditional; It occupies all other shooters hypes. Rapture....Plasmids...Hacking Machines...Big Daddies.....Little Sisters....combines BioShock's greatness.
  87. Apr 13, 2014
    Great videogame! Smart plot. Unique shooter mechanic and visually inpressive. I love art-style and beatiful music. I see that people who created this put his souls in their work.
  88. Mar 30, 2014
    One the best games I've ever played. Atmosphere is perfect. Controls are a bit clunky compared to "Infinite" but I think it adds to the charm. The story is unraveled in an Oscar worthy fashion. This game is just another reason I think people should take gaming more seriously.
  89. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    BioShock is an outstanding first person shooter that introduces world, characters and mechanics like any other.
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    Of course the most talked and revolutionary thing BioShock does, is introducing the world as it's own character. Rapture is a dark, disturbing and forgotten underwater city that sucks you in, making you truly believe you're there. It also mantains posters, audio files and images of what the great city once was, making it a lot more inmersive. The story is extremely well written with deep, three-dimensional characters. However, I found myself rushing through the last 2 hours, just so I could get to the end credits after spending more than 15 hours in the game. Both sound and music are superb, creating an incredibly inmersive and suspenseful world. The mechanics/gameplay in this game are really good, and though the game encourages you not to engage in a battle with multiple oponents (cause you'll die), the A.I never encourages stealth, considering they spot with extreme ease. The plasmids in the game are very well integrated with the shooting mechanic. They bring an estrategic side to the combat, with the player thinking how to set traps and how to use in advantage in really tough fights. The graphics are great and they trully help with the inmersion to Rapture. There's a hacking mini-game that is really simple and well thought, but it gets old pretty easily, considering how much you use it. The Big Daddies. These guys really bring a challenge and satisfaction when defeated. Though the satisfaction doesn't last long, after you see a Little Sister (the ones they protect) crying for their Big Daddy. The little sisters carry ADAM, which you'll need to upgrade your plasmids, and you can either harvest them (you get more ADAM and they die) or save them (you'll get less ADAM and they come back to being little, normal girls). That decission changes a few plot points, but not too much.
    In the end, BioShock manages to step out of the box with deep characters, strong mechanics, reallistic sounds and graphics that will make you want to replay the game quite a few times.
    Average Score: 9.2
  90. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  91. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the best games i ever played. Rapture will be on my memories for a long time. The best part of Bioshock is not the gameplay, it's the story.
  92. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotesCalling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  93. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of theseBioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  94. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you canThis is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  95. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are itsOne of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  96. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  97. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). AFantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  98. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, aThis is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  99. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also,This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  100. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  101. Jun 21, 2011
    How do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonanceHow do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonance of sheer destroyed beauty laying before as you wander through the world intrepidly. This dual atmosphere is a constant throughout the entire game, which is a good thing, as it keeps itself consistent, unlike other titles i could name which tried something similar but came up short, thus breaking the illusion that it had. The story is nothing short of brilliant, with your entire life being revealed before you to be none other then the artificial workings of someone else, breaking the characters and your own perceptions of what you really knew. Voice acting is also top notch, with slick accents that are spot on, mature sounding voices, voices which sound real and have some authenticity to their tone and behaviour, and fit the characters their assigned to. You may be thinking "Well it seems like the sound and story are the most effective parts of it", but you'd be wrong. The gameplay sacrifices nothing as there is rather deep customization to skills and powers you can gain. The ways you can go about and manipulate the environments and enemies can only be described as vast and dynamic, would you prefer to sneak past a foe or clobber them over the head with a wrench? Carelessly walk into an open area or set traps with your weapons/powers in some doorways or on the floor before continueing to search the area? Hack a sentry to help you in a fight with multiple enemies or maybe use a power to make one of them fight for you? The possibilities and combinations are nearly endless and it only gets even better when i say that it's all dynamic. That's right, there are very few scripted enemy paths or actions compared to the huge amount that is unscripted. The developers managed to create a living, breathing, fully organic world that feels like it could be real and that you're some nameless joe exploring what was once a glorious city that is decaying because of the very foundation of it's demeanor. This is a revolutionary game which is worthy of the title of "Art" in the highest sense of the term. Collapse

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.