8.3

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Great videogame! Smart plot. Unique shooter mechanic and visually inpressive. I love art-style and beatiful music. I see that people who created this put his souls in their work.
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    One the best games I've ever played. Atmosphere is perfect. Controls are a bit clunky compared to "Infinite" but I think it adds to the charm. The story is unraveled in an Oscar worthy fashion. This game is just another reason I think people should take gaming more seriously.
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    BioShock is an outstanding first person shooter that introduces world, characters and mechanics like any other.
    Of course the most talked and revolutionary thing BioShock does, is introducing the world as it's own character. Rapture is a dark, disturbing and forgotten underwater city that sucks you in, making you truly believe you're there. It also mantains
    posters, audio files and images of what the great city once was, making it a lot more inmersive. The story is extremely well written with deep, three-dimensional characters. However, I found myself rushing through the last 2 hours, just so I could get to the end credits after spending more than 15 hours in the game. Both sound and music are superb, creating an incredibly inmersive and suspenseful world. The mechanics/gameplay in this game are really good, and though the game encourages you not to engage in a battle with multiple oponents (cause you'll die), the A.I never encourages stealth, considering they spot with extreme ease. The plasmids in the game are very well integrated with the shooting mechanic. They bring an estrategic side to the combat, with the player thinking how to set traps and how to use in advantage in really tough fights. The graphics are great and they trully help with the inmersion to Rapture. There's a hacking mini-game that is really simple and well thought, but it gets old pretty easily, considering how much you use it. The Big Daddies. These guys really bring a challenge and satisfaction when defeated. Though the satisfaction doesn't last long, after you see a Little Sister (the ones they protect) crying for their Big Daddy. The little sisters carry ADAM, which you'll need to upgrade your plasmids, and you can either harvest them (you get more ADAM and they die) or save them (you'll get less ADAM and they come back to being little, normal girls). That decission changes a few plot points, but not too much.
    In the end, BioShock manages to step out of the box with deep characters, strong mechanics, reallistic sounds and graphics that will make you want to replay the game quite a few times.
    Average Score: 9.2
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Every aspect of this game worked in perfect unison. I was in total rapture all the time when experiencing what Bioshock had to offer in this dark and twisted adult themed game.
  6. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the best games i ever played. Rapture will be on my memories for a long time. The best part of Bioshock is not the gameplay, it's the story.
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  9. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  10. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  11. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  12. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  15. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  16. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely
    reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    One of my favourite games. Everything is perfect. Rapture with its inhabitants was a great place to explore, The plot and characters afre great. The first hour of playing was terrifying but even after the atmosphere made me scary sometimes. And the ending. It was just sad and perfect.
  19. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of video gaming. Play this and tell me video games aren't art. One of the greatest games ever made. Is able to stand out among a market inundated by annual FPS games.
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    Bioshock took me by surprise. The beautiful world of rapture is one of the most original and overall coolest settings of a game in any genre. It plays like a thinking mans shoot and loot. The AI is great and you're never short of options for how to go about progressing in the game. Each chapter has suprises and odd characters which will keep you going while you hope it never ends. If you want an amazing single player FPS experience definitely give this one a go. Expand
  21. Oct 21, 2013
    replayed recently and all I have to say is still worth $60 even by today's standards, the graphics being the only exception but not as far behind as one might expect from a game its age. One of my all time favorites.
  22. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  23. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  24. Oct 11, 2013
    First time I had played this game was march 2010 on my xbox. I loved it even though I couldn't follow the story well. Then in my second play through I loved it even more Lots of stuff to know about main characters, not perfect but very surprising plot. Perfect atmosphere and great music. I liked the graphics in 2010 and I still like it in 2013 I finished it for third time after Bioshock Infinite on my PC. Expand
  25. Oct 8, 2013
    A wonderful retro-style FPS set in an undersea city in the 60s. You can blast or stun your enemies using a wide array of guns and abilities in a haunting claustrophobic setting unlike any other. Like in System Shock 2 you can select and update your skills, hack devices (e.g. turrets), customize your character’s powers and overcome challenges in your own way.
    In terms of cons, the gameplay
    is rather wonky (e.g. hard to target some enemies moving &shooting alarmingly fast) while the game is very lenient when it comes to the character’s death: the character can rez again and again while the enemy’s health is not refilled (in other words, the game does not require gamers to play carefully). Also, the dark dystopian setting, although impressive, grows drab (thankfully Arcadia & Prometheus change the ambience).

PS the game’s well-designed hacking system rules
  26. Oct 4, 2013
    The graphics and art direction, the slow unveiling of the story of Rapture’s fall, the sheer creepiness of it all, and the gameplay which, quite often, makes almost every shooter until now seem rather dull in comparison.
  27. Sep 22, 2013
    played this game after amazed by how good infinite is
    and im impressed bioshock managed to improve their theme and gameplay since their first game
    the atmosphere is awesome
    rupture feel so scary and dark but also glamour with city life
    the gameplay is awesome and im about to play the second series of the game
  28. Sep 20, 2013
    This is a generally great game. At the time of its release it may have gotten less attention than it does now (probably in part due to the cartoony nature of it's disk cover, which was quite misleading), but it really added a whole new level to the modern FPS scene. The gameplay flows well, although the combat is usually somewhat less than real-time, because the game allows the player to pause and browse through their inventory in the middle of combat. This set aside, the story is riveting (pun, get it?) and unpredictable, and the atmosphere is good enough to rival the gameplay itself. Expand
  29. Sep 20, 2013
    There's a great game, this game is Bioshock. No, not Bioshock Infinite, first Bioshock. You see, this have anything you want: a great gameplay that can show you not only "Pew-pew", but and tactic shooter, great walking threw the city, collecting items and more of such a good combinations with great shooting. You will just look at this beauty views and you'll find out what's a real city. By the way, game can show you a great and perfect story of city, main character, other characters and, of course, city. You just enjoy the game and listen a beautiful music from there. There is a many win thing that you should learn by yourself. Enjoy this masterpiece! Expand
  30. Sep 19, 2013
    just buy it it,s goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this game hit the scene in 2007, there was nothing like it. Bioshock is what you get when you combine science, art, philosophy, and first-person action. Every element in the game, from the story, to the graphics, to the weapons and powers all meld together into a near-perfect piece of art. This game series alone could prove to anyone that video games can be art. Expand
  32. sft
    Sep 1, 2013
    Who’s the Big Daddy?

BIOSHOCK is a fine example of what is achievable through the medium of video games. The developers have managed to combine an engaging story with strong RPG and FPS elements to produce a thoroughly absorbing and memorable experience. The storyline is unusually effective and all the more compelling due to the aspects of morality it addresses. The voice acting is
    terrific, especially the chuntering splicers that wander around Rapture their psychotic ramblings are utterly convincing. The game is also graphically impressive for a 2007 production Rapture is a beautiful, art deco wreck of a city. There could perhaps have been more humour, but overall this is one of the best single-player games I’ve played. Expand
  33. Aug 24, 2013
    Having played Bioshock Infinite before this one, I have to say, now I know why some Bioshock purists aren't too happy.

This game, during its time and up to now is an icon of outstanding FPS-RPG design. I like the upgradeable weapons, I like the well-done plasmids and other various RPG-like elements. I like the story, the way it's presented and the idea of harvesting/rescuing little
    mutated, sort-a-like undead little girls to give you powers at a moral cost. The game recycles a lot of enemies but it's fairly varied enough to keep the tension and excitement going. The Big Daddys are tough and brutal on the highest difficulty setting and I love it. I don't like the occasional crashes on my decent rig but it's tolerable and simply puts a small dimple on the overall experience. The atmosphere and environment are well-done. I don't like the seemingly weak guns but they work well with the right ammo--- again, a creative addition that we missed on Bioshock Infinite. Overall, Bioshock is a winner and should serve as a welcome "fine dining" departure from the "fast food" games we get these days. I really hope that future developers of this genre will play this game and set out on a quest to continue its revered legacy.

One can only wonder what happened to all the creative gunplay and RPG-like elements, because they are certainly nowhere to be found on Bioshock Infinite. And I miss them.
  34. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Best graphics of its time!! When you just get into the game you cant tell which is real or not, the TV or the couch. The AI helps you and even without it the combat is definitely better than any fps i have ever played. It gives you the choice to play stealth or just run out killing everyone with health boosts in the middle of the map Expand
  35. Aug 10, 2013
    I wouldn't even call this a 'game'. It should be called a masterpiece. The story-line to it draws you in the second you start the game. The mechanics of the game were flawless. Rapture is an enticing underwater Atlantis that will keep you playing the game for hours and hours.
  36. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  37. Aug 5, 2013
    It's... just...Bioshock! One of the best games i know with a really amazing story, really nice gameplay and the most awesome underwater city in the world!
  38. Aug 1, 2013
    Exciting, eerie, creative, jaw dropping, terrifying, electrifying, memorable, fun. Bioshock is the rare game that perfectly blend all those elements together. The story engulfs you in Rapture, one of the most unique and awesome game locations I've ever played. As you progress, you'll discover and explore the ruins of Rapture and learn more about Rapture and what happened and your character's involvement on why he's here in the first place.
    Combat works will blending survival horror elements, such as lack of abundant ammo, to great first person shooting mechanics. It also adds a new spin with Plasmids, giving your character the ablility to electrocute, set on fire, freeze, control, patronize, hypnotize, and among many others.

Such a game like Bioshock can perfectly combine everything that can shooters great. It's exciting, it's terrifying, keeps you on the edge of your seat, it sparks wonder and curiosity. The only thing that keeps this game from being perfect is the ending/ final boss. Ending is kind of out of place (meaning it's either warm hearted or a cold slap in the face that doesn't really conclude your character's journey.) and I didn't lean towards how the final boss was done.

Still, fantastic game.
  39. Jul 23, 2013
    Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. It delivers messages about mankind that are just plain amazing. The soundtrack, the voice acting and the story are just completely beautiful. And its game play is just awesome. No other game has impressed me more than Bioshock has, and in my opinion its he best game on the Playstation 3 let alone one of the greatest games ever created. This is my most favorite game and no other game surpasses it. I especially love the environment of the game: Rapture. The style of its design is amazing as well as the tone that it delivers. All around Bioshock is a masterpiece and should be played by any gamer out there. If you haven't played it, you're missing out on one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Expand
  40. Jul 7, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers Graphics: Love the graphics but some dead splicers just move their hands or legs so imagine a dead splicer waving to you Sound: Every sound in the game is great also the the music the violin just goes with bioshock 's style Game play: Fun but sometimes repetitive Story: Probably the main reason you would play the game just to know the your ending
    Overall Bioshock is a great game which i would recommend for you.
  41. Jun 26, 2013
    I couldn't understand the hype over Bioshock infinite- Bioshock 1 will always remain in my heart as the best Bioshock of them all, the story is amazing and gameplay is pretty fun. I'd say the story and execution of the story bumps this game to 93, gameplay wise it's around 80.
    Recommended!
  42. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review" Platform: PC Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  43. Jun 8, 2013
    This is an epic beginning to an epic franchise. It's got story. It's got action. It's got puzzles. It's got everything! It just doesn't have its story told through videos. Even better: The story and interactions happen while you're playing. You save the game whenever you want. The graphics are excellent and the controls too. A diverse range of weapons and equipments. Splendid!
  44. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock is a refreshing, story based game for the PC, Playstation and Xbox. I played Bioshock on PC, and it was a great, 13 hour campaign, with a great twist. This game is very well designed, and acted out, both by the AI characters, and the voices that bring them to life. However, it does have flaws:
    1. The endings are BORING! Even though there are 2 alternate endings, there both unsatisfying and short (less than 1 minute).
    2. In my opinion, the Fort Frolic level feels like a time filler, put in by the developers at the last moment.
    3. This is just me being nit-picky, but: I found it really annoying that all the little sisters look the same! With a occasional blonde haired sister, all of them have the same face, hair and voice.

Other than that, great game! If you have a spare $20, and a thirst for a great game this is definite buy.
  45. May 16, 2013
    BioShock is such a unique game. It has a very special atmosphere all the time. Everything in this game is so special, like the Big Daddies, they won't attack you, they are like a real dad, protecting the little sisters. The little sisters even cried after you killed their dad. And I like the type of graphic in this game, it gives a dark and old feels to you.
  46. May 9, 2013
    this game is awesome amazing story and amazing gameplay with great soundtracks and a twist that will blow your mind away this game simply one of the best shooters ever made
  47. May 4, 2013
    This amazing game has the best atmosphere in all the games I've played. The story is compelling and filled with interesting characters. Exploring Rapture was a great experience, and didn't feel like a chore at all.

I have no idea what others are talking about dull FPS features. The plasmids really give a new, fun way to kill your enemies. Blasting a hundred rounds isn't really possible
    in this game. Sometimes, ammo is very plentiful and you can afford to do this. But, sometimes, you literally have no ammo, and no EVE, and then you really start to use the environment, and your melee skills. Although, there isn't really a penalty when you die, it's really just spawns you back in the level. Which I dislike

The only reason I gave this a 9, was because the physics seem to lag, but it doesn't break me from the immersion all that much, but for others, it does. The rest of the graphics, still look modern to me, also. Overall, this game is just plain awesome.
  48. May 2, 2013
    Having just finished BioShock for the first time, I am upset that I didn't give this game a proper chance sooner. While the graphics are still pretty good for today the gunplay, plasmids and enemies can get pretty repetitive, and there isn't a ton of strategy. However, that isn't what this game is about. Its not just that the story and plot are great (they are) but I honestly felt like I was the character. At the beginning I was scared and confused, I didn't know where I was or what the heck I was doing. As I progressed I began to feel comfortable with the game and started to feel super powerful, only to have that all torn away. The ending is one of the most compelling of any game I have ever played, and this game is well worth the 10 hours it will take to finish. Expand
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    I myself do not critic games like that. But this is an exception. Bioshock has proven itself and to everyone else why it is one of the greatest games ever created. The only problem is that you must have a plan set for when facing the Big Daddy if you do not want often visits to the Vita chamber.
  50. Apr 27, 2013
    Bioshock had tiny flaws but not enough to hold it back from being a perfect game. Freezes for two seconds that come around now and then, and re-spawn had no penalty, although the respawn system itself was not such a bad idea. If they didn't add the re-spawn system there would be no check points because of the open environment around you. And with constant enemies running around. So this shouldn't reduce it's score. The other problem with the game freezes shouldn't reduce the score because they happen very rarely and it's uniqueness makes up for any down sides. Anyone who doesn't give this game a 10/10 doesn't see its potential, they're one minded and don't have fun can be had with game, even if they have experienced it. Expand
  51. Apr 16, 2013
    1 of the best video game ever made. Would you kindly try the game even if you don't like the FPs genre. This aint one of those brainless run and shoot. Amazing gameplay, amazing visuals, amazing story, amazing EVERYTHING! 1 of the rare 10 out of 10 games I have been honored to play.
  52. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is perfect in every way. Its tense, the story is gripping and deep (feel the pun), the graphics are beautiful and the style of the game is original. The gene tonics are impressive and add RPG elements to a FPS game. The Plasmids give you the edge in combat. The story contains deep, political content and even the enemies who you kill have deep personalities, and the audio diaries show you the citizens of rapture in their last few moments. A masterpiece of gaming. Expand
  53. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  54. Apr 4, 2013
    Well ok, I bought this on 2011, but I frickin love it. The weapons and enemies, atmosphere. They are all huge leap to technology of gaming. Year 2006 they made this game. Holly dang. I love Irrational Games/ 2K Boston.
  55. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock. What an amazing game. It has easily made my list of favorite games. Great atmosphere, mind blowing story, a feeling of estrangement, and the 50's style nostalgia makes for a great experience. The Plasmids along with the weapons make combat interesting, and everyone who is anyone can recognize the Big Daddy as an Iconic Entity from a fantastic game.
  56. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From a new bioshock player's perspective, this game was fantastic. The art direction was thrilling as the combat was fun, but that's not what makes this game stand out most. A strong story induces an injection of personality into the game's otherwise overused FPS mechanics. The use of vigors and and sky hooks makes combat fast and visceral. Even a bit farther combat is made even better through the use of rifts, basically serially usable resources at the players command. Aside from the combat and back to the story, I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and DeWitt. It changes the tone of the entire game, as your not only concerned about your opinion, but Elizabeth's as well and it creates a nice dynamic.

Some things I didn't like were rather minute compared to the overall picture. For example, although they develop Elizabeth's character throughout the story, it all revolves around death and killing. There isn't a chance to relax and explore the beautiful city of columbia, which is a really big missed opportunity. It also leaves a side of the characters undeveloped. I know how serious Elizabeth and DeWitt can be but what do they like to do with their free time. Reading books can't be Elizabeth's only hobby. Aside for the small issue above, what really annoyed me was the ending. It left alot in the air for the sake of itself. In the end you find that Elizabeth is really your daughter anna and that she must kill you to prevent comstock. This isn't annoying, the annoying part is the missed father daughter moment before elizabeth kills DeWitt. You just spent all this time freeing this girl, building a relationship, you find out your father/daughter, and she kills DeWitt without even a "I love you dad" or anything even similar. That is extremely irksome.
  57. Mar 30, 2013
    For years shooters were known as games where you move on a rail and kill people. Call Of duty, single handedly by itself, has destroyed all the meaning of FPS. with all the negative thoughts there were behind BioShock....well...it turned to an amazing game. Bioshosck is not your normal COD shooter. its all about creating and re-aliving the lost meaning of FPS genre. Game has a top-notch and engaging story which drags you till the end and im not gonna spoil it. Gameplay is just amazing, areas are big and you can explore them looking for upgrades and tools and money. Aside of weapon you will have magical powers called Plasmids, which allows you to extend your creativity upon battles and everytime try a new strategy till you find what suits you. its hard to describe how innovating Bioshosck's gameplay is unless you play it yourself. Graphics are quiet interesting, its something unique. Textures are worked very well and its best to play it on a pc as the lighting effects are much better and water is rendered using DX10 features. Its one of those games such as Half Life 2 which never gets aged, everytime you play it ...it will be different and it will stay beautiful :D Expand
  58. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  59. Mar 26, 2013
    I know I'm late in the game but I have just recently got back into gaming. Back in the days when I used to play console (before switching over to Computer), I downloaded the demo for this game for xbox360. Never got around to buying it or playing it because it was too scary for me. However, I have grown up and I am now a big boy...

This game is for big boys (and girls). It's fun,
    tough, exciting, and gets your adrenaline going! I may not be an expert or veteran with the Bioshock series, but I can't wait to play the next two Collapse
  60. Mar 23, 2013
    BioShock is an atmospheric, fun, and well-written first person shooter that holds up even in 2013, almost 5 years after it's release. The level design is great, the story is amazing, and it has enough tense moments to keep you on the edge of your seat. The RPG elements such as weapon, plasmid, and character upgrades give you the feeling of progression throughout. However, the gameplay is a slightly different story. It's not exactly the best, but it's entertaining enough to keep you from feeling like you're just watching a movie. The boss fights do feel out of place, and there isn't a ton of variety in the enemy types. The idea of researching enemies with a camera is interesting, but poorly implemented. My final complaint is the slow beginning. It's there to build tension, but ultimately ends up being a boring, tedious tutorial disguised as a level. All in all, BioShock is an amazing game, and it's definitely worth you're time and money. Expand
  61. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok. In my personal OPINION this game does not have one single flaw and is one of if not the most memorable experience I have ever had in gaming. That being said I can see how it is not for everyone BUT to actually call this a "bad" game and give it a 1? You are either a contrarian and a hater or you are just stupid and make no mistake this is a game for smart people. People say things like oh you can use plasmids and guns? cool that gets boring after 3 seconds. to those people I say what about the hundreds of FPS games that have no rpg elements you can only use guns and you are fighting the EXACT same enemies over and over? meh its not for everyone.. 10/10 for me and deserves no less than an 8 from everyone. Expand
  62. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  63. Feb 13, 2013
    Best game I ever played before. Great story, great atmosphere, great gameplay, great graphics. Rapture is a precious gem that will remain forever in the history of videogame.
  64. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great graphics, great story, great gameplay, and it rebooted its previous release called system shock 2'. created a new series and the 2nd one is even more.
  65. Feb 11, 2013
    Great Shooter with role play and horror-elements.Very fascinating locations and creepy characters. Many weapons (unfortunately with the most of them you deal damage like throwing with cotton balls later in the game) and an interesting story. Only the high difficulty level in the later sections, the lack of different enemy-types and the weak weapons are negative points.
  66. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  67. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  68. Jan 18, 2013
    I love this game, Graphics 10, Sound 10, Gunplay 9, Story 10, Horror 9, ONE AWESOME **** GAME 10/10, i was so hyped for this game, and that Hype paid OF, I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 20 DAYS STRAIGHT, JESUS CHRIST THANK U FOR THIS AMAZING GAME
  69. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  70. Dec 22, 2012
    To all people complaining about Vita-chamber and the game being easy: YOU CAN DISABLE VITA-CHAMBERS IN THE OPTIONS MENU, also YOU HAVE 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
  71. Dec 13, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing new there--but when combined with the plasmid powers, weapon and power upgrades, security hacking, etc. make a very entertaining whole. Personally I found it very refreshing to play an FPS that actually had a unique atmosphere and a solid story, unlike the multitude of 'modern,' WWII, or space shooters. Expand
  72. Dec 7, 2012
    Truly a game that reels you in to its depths, with its wonderfully-crafted environment immersing you in the Bioshock experience. The ambient sounds, the great graphics (for its time, and still is pretty good actually), and all the other presentation elements that makes you feel as if you really were walking the ruined tunnels and buildings of Rapture. The biggest element that I loved was of course the story. I have only played a handful of video games with such a riveting, mysterious, and emotional story. I thankfully was able to tune out the noise so that what happens would not be spoiled, but I would have to say that the game's story truly delivers an experience to remember and it is one that every respectable gamer who plays RPG's should experience. The characters are quite memorable and well-done. There is a definite sense of wonder and excitement about Rapture as you arrive and continue to play on, uncovering the many layers of this wonderfully-written plot.
    As for gameplay, it was overall to me pretty well done. The plasmids are a lot of fun and there are definitely plenty of different ways you can use them. The gun-play is nothing special -- I mean, this is set in the 1960s after all. The enemies are challenging enough to keep things interesting, and there were definitely moments where I was going "crap! crap! crap! run! heal! regroup!" haha
    Anyway, I think the strongest display of how I feel about this game can be explained with how I felt when I finished it (it took me about 20 hours over two days. Yes. It was that good). I remember sitting there, shocked at the turn of events in the story and that it was all over and done with, and I also had many questions about what happened next and such. Thankfully, Bioshock 2 was already out by the time I played this so I was able to continue my adventures in Rapture -- more on that when I review that game later on.
    Suffice to say, this game would get a 100 out of 10 from me if I could give it that. If you don't have this game, get it. You will (most likely) not be disappointed -- I say that because you can't please everyone after all.
  73. Dec 6, 2012
    Until this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers as well as ammo-changeable guns is gameplay heaven. The hacking mini-game is fun, but can get old after a while. Now onto the negatives... The graphics are decent, but look very low-res in some parts of the game, including particle effects and water. The physics are not so good, as it's unrealistic and has low fps. The animations can be iffy here and there. Newer PC's have a very high chance of messing with the game - mouse acceleration issues, settings that don't stay consistent, likelihood of freezing and crashing, etc. Overall, this game is one of a kind. The sequel isn't as good, but still enjoyable. Expand
  74. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  75. Nov 28, 2012
    I love every aspect in this game, i was in love with this game, i also made the platinum trophy on this one. The plasmids were so useful and there was so many possibilities to kill. The little sisters and the Big Daddies were just genial, i give it a perfect 10, one of my favorite games ever!
  76. Nov 22, 2012
    What an atmosphere! What a story! What a gameplay!

A perfect first-person shooter with role-playing elements. I can't stop myself by searching all over the map. Details, items, upgrades etc. Everything is perfect!
  77. Nov 13, 2012
    Hands down, the most immersive video game I've ever played. It has the best atmosphere I have ever seen- the setting was initially terrifying, which thrilled me, and this aspect was augmented by challenging gameplay. You are given abilities to play according to your style, using weapons adapted to your preferences. The storyline is a strong point, which is rare for a FPS. The only downside to the game is the repetitive hacking of machines, which got dull after the first 20 hacks. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a memorable FPS. I will never forget this game. Expand
  78. DME
    Nov 5, 2012
    BioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVE and reloading weapons both use the same key, which may cause you to randomly throw away precious EVE when you meant to reload. Death doesn't punish you, because damage dealt to enemies remains persistent between lives. And the last annoyance I have with BioShock is how the game likes to screw everything up when you try to minimize it or switch windows while it's running on your computer. Apart from those four problems, BioShock is very engrossing. Great narrative and voice-acting, great level-design, varied gameplay, and awesome atmosphere. I even liked how the game kept ammunition and supplies very scarce. It forces you to conserve what you have and think before you act. All-in-all, I highly recommend BioShock, Expand
  79. Nov 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals, a compelling storyline, and an interesting combat system all make Bioshock a brilliant game. It does however have some flaws. Deaths in the game are without consequence making it not much of a challenge and taking away from the survival aspect of survival horror unless this feature is disabled. The combat system has some weird kinks and at times feels rigid, but overall this game is near perfect. Expand
  80. Oct 7, 2012
    Bioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, the list goes on and on. The plot drives you to continue playing the game, giving a critical examination of Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism and Altruism. It take place in an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man who wanted to create a Utopian individualistic society that has fallen into a civil war because most of the population has gone insane hyped up on ADAM, a "drug" of sorts that gives a human superpowers, similar to that of the Sith from star wars (lightning from hands) or The Last Airbender. .. Doesn't that sound epic.. while also being deep and philosophical. This game heavily influenced my politics and philosophy. An exciting piece of art. Expand
  81. Oct 2, 2012
    Bioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn't recommend this game enough to those who for some reason haven't played it yet, 9/10. Expand
  82. Sep 28, 2012
    i had a friend that said this game sucks, now hes dead. THIS GAME! the gameplay! the combat system is the best i've seen in my entire life! the twists are just mind blowing and the mobs were creativly made. i like the 50's 60's air. reminds me of fallout: new vegas, which i loved! the graphics are pretty good and the voice acting is very good! the game should be 9.8 and honesly i just can't belive there are people that didnt like this game Expand
  83. Sep 27, 2012
    Its now 2012 and i still haven't played a game with an original story and atmosphere like this. The opening scenes of Bioshock, where you crash and discover Rapture, are still one of my favorites in any game or film.
  84. Aug 29, 2012
    i am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gay Expand
  85. Jul 5, 2012
    This game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in a shooter without being bogged down with stat-mechanics. Intelligent and hectic AI. Brilliant voice acting and incredibly atmospheric environmental effects (in both audio and visuals. Water effects, am I right??). Great weapons and action on the level with the most high-level shooters in the history of gaming. I could go on and on. A perfect game and a must-play. Expand
  86. Jun 16, 2012
    I feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because you start getting used to the setting and you know what to expect. The shooting is good also but it could be better and I found ammo to be scarce which made the situation more complicated. Overall I do recommend it since there is nothing to dislike apart from some tiny flaws here and there. Expand
  87. Jun 7, 2012
    A simply awesome game: the story, the game play and, also 5 years after the release, the graphics. From the moment you see Rapture the hole game is just a big rush. All the steam punk element and this mystic atmosphere, the battles and all the diary entries. it is just a ingenious game.
  88. Jun 3, 2012
    Pros: Great story, very creative, surprises in every stage, great graphics. You also have to make moral choices that change your gameplay and storyline. Cons: no multiplayer, no arenas, no open world, linear story.
  89. May 25, 2012
    I'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give life to the characters. As mentioned already, there are a lot of cool and different special powers, buffs, and types of ammo which add loads of variation to combat, hence keeping it fun and fresh for the most part. The hacking mini-game is also immensely fun. This is perhaps the best hacking mini-game I have ever had to play, because I almost never got bored of it. The game also has an interesting backstory with some memorable characters and quotes. Heck, everything in the game has personality, even the vending machines. However, despite the good story, the storytelling itself is a bit average, and this brings me to the weaknesses. The reason I say the storytelling is average is because most of the story you uncover by listening to various audio tapes instead of experiencing the story as you go along. Another minor weakness is that I felt the health and EVE bars were a bit too small (even with upgrades). Whenever I fought 2 or more enemies, or one strong enemy, I literally had to keep pressing the medkit button to keep healing myself repeatedly, which takes away from the fun of combat. Likewise for the EVE bar as well. After a couple of shots of your special powers, your character had to inject himself with more EVE. And the last weakness I'll mention is that the level design in certain areas was kind of subpar. The colours and the environments are nice, but it's the structure itself that I have an issue with. Like some areas looked too repetitive whichever way you went (Arcadia anyone?) and also some other areas were a bit too big and confusing (Fort Frolic anyone?). And the map wasn't particularly too helpful when navigating through multiple floors. So, despite the few weaknesses the game has, I think its strengths by far outweigh them, because it generally manages to deliver the fun factor (although I find the average critic score to be a tad too high). Expand
  90. May 4, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about this game, and I have finally finished it. Truth is, the game is really good. Amazingly good. The voice acting is very convincing, actually the storytelling is good because of the convincing voice acting. The story has a little twist, and it is actually deeper than I expected it to be. This is one of the game you would never forget after playing.
  91. May 3, 2012
    I gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game is unique? (and all games SHOULD be), you have to find it yourself!, just play the game u wont regret. I just can share with u my feeling during the entire game: intrigue. Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2012
    Bioshock is the second best game. Kind of like Timeshift but under water with alot of powers! 10/10 HATER SHIELD ENABLE! THAT IS ALL!
  93. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  94. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  95. Apr 2, 2012
    The story is great, the gameplay is great, the weapons are great... Even though it's a game made in 2007, this game is better than many games of today. Note: I do NOT know why Steam has rated this as "Action, RPG", because this game is NOT an RPG! This game is a FPS! This game does NOT have XP, Guilds, or any other such bullsh*t that has an RPG.
  96. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  97. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is pretty neat.
    I found it a bit short, but perhaps I'm just to used to RPG's. Which bring me to another point: this game is labeled as an action RPG, but I saw no RPG elements in it. I would consider it action/thriller. It's got some creepy moments too.

The story is very different from the norm, and the graphics are pretty nice... well the enemies and environment are - for some
    reason, anytime they show anything of your character he doesn't look so great.

anyways I give a 9... which is hard to get from me.
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    I had just gotten around to playing it for the first time, and I have to say, the hype was right! It has a creepy atmosphere, awesome story, and great gameplay. It's a must play.
  99. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  100. Feb 18, 2012
    This game is original and keeps me interested in every aspect of it's madness.
    The graphics are still great in 2012.... and gameplay is bar none very good.
    No glitches and no horrible hardware conflicts.
    Lots of blood and tonnes of mad action.
    Bioshock 2 delivers the same enjoyment so all i can say is get it now!!
  101. Mar 26, 2013

This game is for big boys (and girls). It's fun,

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.