- Summary: What happens when the only hope of a threatened world lies not with heroes in shining armor but in the hands of a band of misfits and criminals? Blackguards - the new turn-based RPG by Daedalic Entertainment - explores this very question. The player takes on the role of a convicted murderer,What happens when the only hope of a threatened world lies not with heroes in shining armor but in the hands of a band of misfits and criminals? Blackguards - the new turn-based RPG by Daedalic Entertainment - explores this very question. The player takes on the role of a convicted murderer, who with the help of a team of more-than-questionable characters, must save the world from a dark menace. During the wild chase throughout the South of Aventuria, the world of The Dark Eye, there is more to fight than vicious creatures - chapter by chapter, a story full of intrigue and surprising twists unfolds. But when life and death are in the player's hands, how far will they go to reach their goals?… Expand
Jan 23, 2014Blackguards is an entertaining game and traditional role players will love many of its mechanics. The game could have been used to restore part of the essence of the great RPGs that were released during the early years of the last decade, but would require a story influenced by the decisions of the player and a good artificial intelligence. It would have been an excellent tool for Game Masters who want to display combats for his roleplaying group. As a videogame some things are left on the shelf.
Feb 16, 2014With Blackguards, German Daedalic offers an adventure in the vein of a dice RPG. Unfortunately also some irritating moments follows from that kind of games, and when pure chance can decide a difficult battle it all feels quite frustrating. But Blackguards is an entertaining game with well-made elements, and definitely deserves a chance to prove itself.
Jan 23, 2014I've been playing the game from it's early access beginning, and I have logged more hours in it than I care to say. The graphics are wellI've been playing the game from it's early access beginning, and I have logged more hours in it than I care to say. The graphics are well done, the voice acting is excellent, and assuming you like turn based combat you will be in heaven. There is a demo for those who need to try it first. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in quite a while.… Expand
Dec 18, 2014It is one of this games, where it might take a while to get into it, but then you get hooked up!
Watched the hubby play it and liked theIt is one of this games, where it might take a while to get into it, but then you get hooked up!
Watched the hubby play it and liked the mood. Thought, okay, as him I love roleplaying games especially with the Dark Eye's rules and it does not look too difficult to beat the strategic tasks.
Actually, it was kind of difficult. I have to admit that I am someone who is more frustrated by crashes and so on (and this game definitely runs smooth and stable) than by having to try tricky situations again and again. I like the chalanges coming from things like that. Okay, the to-hit-chance IS frustrating, but on the other side after a while you get used to it.
I totally love the graphics style, the story and the good kind of humor.
This game might not be the first choice for someone who wants to hurry through the tasks and such, but for someone living an adventure it's perfect!… Expand
Jan 23, 2014DSA ist zurück! Alte Spielmechaniken gemischt in neuem Gewand! Eine Vielzahl an rundenbasierenden, taktisch-anspruchsvollen Kämpfen mitDSA ist zurück! Alte Spielmechaniken gemischt in neuem Gewand! Eine Vielzahl an rundenbasierenden, taktisch-anspruchsvollen Kämpfen mit Einsatz der Umgebung. Gut umgesetztes DSA-Regelwerk mit vielen Steigerungsmöglichkeiten der Charaktere. Geschichte wird von guten Sprechern in lustigen bis derben Gesprächen und Kommentaren vorgetragen. Klasse Leistung von Daedalic! Wenn man den Preis miteinrechnet.... 9 Punkte!… Expand
Jan 23, 2014This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very refreshing title for someone who likes turn based tactical RPGs.
- Graphic is nice. Nothing to write home about, but nothing bad either, so no kudos in this category
- I liked the story. It's not the greatest story, but it's very good. Definitely it kept me for "one more fight" most of the time. Almost all of the story and dialogue is narrated, and the actors are quite good. One thing that I didn't liked is that the end animation is not narrated. Why?
- now the important part - gameplay. Tactical combat is good, and most of the time is without bugs. It's standard pen and paper RPG style mechanic, nothing new, but it's better that way :). I have few complaints here tho. Didn't really invested much time in number crunching since mechanic is similar to ADND and many other systems, but there are several things I didn't like. For example, lowly spider will hit mage in robes and fully armored dwarf fighter for same (high) damage constantly. They will apply poison no matter the resistance. They will also actively pursuit mage, like they have max intelligence. Also, when nedded they will cleverly block your paths. Very smart spiders. Zombies too. Ah, and skeletons. You get the idea, it's OK for humans and such to have battle plan, but not all of the monsters. Speaking of damage, prepare to be hit 90% of the time for about 1/3 to 1/2 of your health. Spider will do that damage, as will naked tribesman with spear, wood troll, stone colossus, large dragon, zombie, and tiny scarab.
There is lot of variety of monsters in game, but 80% of the time you will fight humans or undead. Now, you could have all sorts of undead in RPG, but here you have zombies, skelies, and some ghouls I guess, which look more like the alien. It gets repetitive that way. Oh, and if you don't have all stats that affect the initiative maxed, forget about going first. Even against zombies. Same goes for damage, you will do damage only if you have strength and weapon mastery maxed, else don't bother attacking. Same for offensive spells, you need at least 13 points invested or don't bother. Speaking of which, many monsters have all sorts of resistances and immunities to cold, fire, poison, piercing damage etc., but I didn't noticed that any has weaknesses? . Some abilities are broken INMHO. For example, there is power blow (double damage) which you will spam since only then you will do SOME damage. And that would be around 10-20 dmg range, no matter weather you have rusty sword or megazor great axe of slaying. And then, there is ability which gives you 3x damage which will do 100 (more or less) damage per hit. Stone colossal? no problem, it's one hitter with this ability. Else, you will not kill him in 2 life times. Ah, yes, hit chance. 75% will hit aprox. half of the time so its more like 50%. True 50%? forget it, its like 15% in reality. And yes, equipment. There is like 5 uncommon pieces in whole game, and maybe 1 rare (because it does magical damage, which is a minus 'cause most bosses are immune or resistant to magic).
So, to summarize, this game heavily relies on offense, so don't bother about defensive items, spells, abilities etc. Equipment is scarce and of common quality, and there are some broken abilities. Only things worth carrying on belts are healing and magic potions. But don't get me wrong, game is still fun to play, only frustrating on occasions. But that can be easily patched, so I wouldn't cut off much of points there.
But sadly, there is one thing that cannot be repaired in patches. Linear game play. Once you finished, there is no reason to play again, since all your choices are superficial, they don't impact the game (well, almost always). For example, you have a side quest, you have 3 choices: Deny, accept, ask more money. If you have high appropriate skill, you have 4th option - to ask even more money. No matter what you choose it won't impact anything. There is fixed party at all times, so no diversity there either.
All in all, this is a niche game for hardcore fans of RPG turn based games, which need some polish. It's NOT a indie game, so price tag of 30(ish) euros is about right. If you're fan, buy it. I am, so 7 overall score.
P.S. Whats the catch with that "teenage mutant ninja turtles" theme at the end of the credits???????… Expand
Jan 29, 2014Fun, entertaining (at least for a while) but always felt like it was missing somethings.
Key points: A) The graphics were great; they putFun, entertaining (at least for a while) but always felt like it was missing somethings.
A) The graphics were great; they put a lot into it. Great artwork, etc.
B) Audio was good, not spectacular, but good enough.
C) Game play and the user experience:
Now where the game falls flat, bad in key area's of it's design, and over all it's game play.
The worst glaring problem was the lack of any sensible progression/leveling.
They do away with "levels" using some sort of stats based system instead.
I'm left over all with no clear direction of where/how to progress.
Okay, I can say increase a weapons skill level but then how does it directly effect my character?
There was no real skill tree to say advance up with any notable special moves, perks or improvements.
No real coolness factor, no pizzazz.
The story was interesting though; it made sense and did make me want to play from this standpoint.
Dismal. For one no special magic armor of note.
Again no coolness factor nothing really to look forward too in finding any "awesome" loot drops.
Even worse it oddly took for ever to even find a base set of amour.
Kind of frustrating feeling that I could do better if I just had at least a basic set of newbie armor!
So in the end you are left with a game that looks pretty, an interesting story, but is basically boring.
I'm not sure if it was supposed to be more of an RPG or strategy game but most of the 'R' in "RPG" was missing.
I want to feel empowered in an RPG. I want to go into fantasy land after a days work where I am a King, a Knight, a grand wizard!, something special.
It's all about:
"Hey I'm a cool wizard!" (or fighter, thief, what ever)
"Look at my cool gear!"
"If I keep killing these monsters, especially the bosses, I'll find some great loot drops!"
"Hah! I advanced to level 3 fireballs, now I'll really kick some!"
"I used my smartness in building my character, it's powerful!"
In this game I felt very little of these things.
Whom ever built this game focused on the graphics, the maps and their strategy, the story, but then left all the cool things out that makes you want to keep playing..… Expand
Dec 6, 2014I feel terrible for anyone that paid $40 for this game.
Voice acting was good, graphics are fair, there seems to be some depth and strategy,I feel terrible for anyone that paid $40 for this game.
Voice acting was good, graphics are fair, there seems to be some depth and strategy, but that's where the good stuff ends.
- very difficult to compare item upgrades
- questing interface in towns is barebones
- work vs reward doesn't balance. In other words, if you're in an encounter fighting 3 enemies and more get summoned or spawned you don't get xp (AP) payout. It's very frustrating fighting a simple and fast encounter for 25 xp payout....and then the next encounter you work your butt off in a brutal and slow fight and also get only 25xp.
- ability points are ridiculous. It's far too easy to unbalance your character and go down the wrong path skilling yourself up. This is a clunky miserable mess for tuning up your character with a billion moving parts to navigate.
- Cinematic and cut scene animations (particularly mouth movement) are hideous. While not a major detriment, it's still a low quality blemish that deserves a call out.
There are plenty of gamers that can look past these flaws and have a fun time but I'm not one of them. Good effort but falls really short.… Expand
Aug 25, 2014.... im so sad... i realy wanted another great turn based game like xcom or something there are so less of ths kind of games and i dont play.... im so sad... i realy wanted another great turn based game like xcom or something there are so less of ths kind of games and i dont play other genres , but i get the demo of this and the game feels so poor the ui so bad the german voice acting sucks******* . this "professional" speakers are not worth to get paid. The game is okay on english and thats the only good thing about it.
come make a good tactical turn based rpg with large ui on 1920 1080 and im happy but not this ****… Expand