7.7

1. Jul 28, 2013
    The game is fun, it isn't a game you enjoy by going through carefully like most shoot em ups it doesn't have too much depth. All being said the controls are great assuming you take the games advice and use a controller, it has a very unique control set up but it is a step in the right direction with how well it works.
    Graphics are what you'd out of an indie game made by a single person,
    Graphics are what you'd out of an indie game made by a single person, the biggest negative aspect is how short the game is but it is only 5$ so you get what you pay for.
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    I went into this game with high expectations, and it still exceeded them. A few of the weapons are pretty much useless, but some feel very good, like the default Dual Pistols, for example. (They don't really shoot like pistols, its basically a machine gun with infinite clips, and its amazing.) The controls were a bit awkward at first, but I quickly got used to them, and after only a coupleI went into this game with high expectations, and it still exceeded them. A few of the weapons are pretty much useless, but some feel very good, like the default Dual Pistols, for example. (They don't really shoot like pistols, its basically a machine gun with infinite clips, and its amazing.) The controls were a bit awkward at first, but I quickly got used to them, and after only a couple of minutes, it felt completely natural.

My only real issue is that the game is quite short. However, if you play on anything above normal difficulty, you'll be spending plenty of time taking down the bosses. Which gives it plenty of life for a $5 game. I love it!
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    PROS :
    - Super fun gameplay. It's like 2D Max Payne. Slow your time and dodge the bullets. Core game mechanic is superb and make me play again and again.
    - Awesome stage design. Brilliant design of stage is just great. Playing through stages, you will may think 'Oh, it's classical but nice.' - Various modes to play. It's not just a single story campaign, but there's also a arcade mode,
    PROS :
    - Various modes to play. It's not just a single story campaign, but there's also a arcade mode, challenge mode, etc. And change your character will plus hardness to play.

CONS :
    - Short story. I cleared this game just 2~3 hours. (Normal) And the story line is just plain, not special.
    - Nothing new. But combination of it is well mixed.

I really enjoyed this game. If you are fan of 2D shooter platformer, BUY IT NOW. This game has a value of buying.
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    this game is awesome! I love the graphics, and the gameplay. I didn't notice the problems with the triple jump, and I love slowing down time and making awesome matrix-style dodges. I found this game really hard but maybe I just suck. Most of the weapons are useless, so I used the dual pistols. It is the definitely worth the asking price plus more.
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    As someone who plays a lot of PC games, I often rely on Steam to provide me with cheap, easily accessible gaming experiences that I can almost instantly load up anytime, by myself or with some friends. However there is a problem, Steam is so prevalent that it’s easy to overlook other digital distribution platforms and websites that are indeed out there, packed with some stellar content ofAs someone who plays a lot of PC games, I often rely on Steam to provide me with cheap, easily accessible gaming experiences that I can almost instantly load up anytime, by myself or with some friends. However there is a problem, Steam is so prevalent that it’s easy to overlook other digital distribution platforms and websites that are indeed out there, packed with some stellar content of their own.

In Bleed, you are Wryn, a very chirpy girl who has very big ambitions: to take down previously legendary video game heroes in order to become the greatest hero of all time. These “greatest heroes of all time” have grown lazy, greedy, or have just simply faded into obscurity since their implied golden days. Wryn sees this as a perfect opportunity to realize her dream and thus sets out on a quest to put down these forgotten heroes. Wryn herself is a great protagonist; her design and fourth wall-breaking quotes are utterly charming and presented in such a way that she becomes likeable to the point that she becomes rather memorable. She’s a character you actively want to play as, and the game is infinitely more fun because of this.

Bleed seamlessly integrates several mechanics that are easy to learn, yet hard to master: a technique that is quite scarce in the industry today, even within the vibrant indie scene. Wryn however makes use of a variety of weapons and uses them in conjunction with the fantastic jumping system. Wryn can “jump dash” in mid-air up to three times, which can be used to swiftly weave through projectiles, gain extra jump height and open up possibilities for speed running The jump dash mechanic is incredibly satisfying in that it’s as smooth as it is stylish. Using it effectively is a good way to measure how good your becoming at the game, making it rewarding. Wryn also has the ability to slow time for a few seconds depending on how full her energy bar is, which can help during some of the trickier projectile patterns and sections.

In terms of graphical and sound presentation, Bleed shines yet again. The game presents a very clean, pixilated look that’s fitting of its old-school styling’s. Games of this kind often make the mistake of losing solid game feel amidst top-drawer visuals, however Bleed’s obstacles and enemies actively work in conjunction with the aesthetics ensuring anything that could potentially harm you is clearly visible at all times. Bleed’s chip-tune soundtrack is as upbeat and charming as its protagonist, and is honestly home to some of the catchiest tunes of this genre since Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game.

“Love” is a term we attach to our favorite games, as well as games we enjoy a great deal. Bleed is a game I am in love with; it’s a game with very clear goals and for what it wants to achieve, it executes them almost flawlessly. Some may be put off by the short length, but honestly, there’s so much character already in each individual stage and a good deal of extra content to unlock that it more than makes up for this.
  6. Jul 3, 2013
    Yiiiikes. Bleed is a nothing-special shoot-em-up with interesting art. The plot is...thin, to say the least. Honestly it's just an excuse to kill. Which is okay, if the killing was especially interesting. For a game called "Bleed" you hopefully know that going in. Unfortunately, the killing is not especially interesting. Or interesting at all, really.

You shoot, things die, their puny

You shoot, things die, their puny attacks not being especially difficult to dodge. If you fail, you respawn a short distance away, with full health, and lose out on some money with which to buy more generic weapons and probably some achievements or something.

Also, this game lasts about an hour, at best, unless you're trying to be all pro and replay the handful of ten-minute-long levels to get perfect ranks.

But all these things are...bearable, at least. The quality of a free internet game, but bearable. Where the game really became unplayable for me was with its gimmicky "triple jump" mechanic. Basically, you jump and move in the direction of whatever arrow you push, three times. Unfortunately, no game has done this in the history of ever, with the possible exception of Super Smash Bros Melee and Pikachu. Remember how much of a pain in the ass it was learning to control that jump? That's basically this whole game. If the game was longer, maybe they'd have eased you in, started you off with just a double jump, so that you were moving more like Captain Falcon, again from SSBM. Unfortunately it is, as stated before, stupidly short.

So for me, at least, it was basically "fumble your way through a very limited number of levels, stumbling into or almost into nearly every obstacle like a drunken retard, while shooting and dodging like a goddamn ninja." I felt like a child trying to wield the torso-sized Xbox controller again, learning to use something totally alien. Only you're given fifteen minutes to do so, because this game feels like it was cranked out in an afternoon.

Anyway, if using practically alien systems for a gimmick in order to play a short, lackluster game is your cup of tea, Bleed is for you.
  7. AWG
    Jul 27, 2013
    I'm SO sick and tired of games developed in 2013 but that look like they are SNES games. Jesus Christ, it's not "artsy", it's not "winking to the golden era of vidya". It's. Always. The Same. Friggin'. Thing! Over and over again! ENOUGH!
  8. Aug 26, 2015
    I downloaded Bleed on the Xbox360 for the sum of just 79p can't say it didn't offer great value for money. There isn't a huge amount of depth to proceedings and the controls aren't as tight as similar games (such as Viewtiful Joe) but the gameplay is fast paced, challenging and pretty fun.
  9. Sep 18, 2013
    I really liked this game. It's as challenging (or as easy) as you want it to be (with different difficulty levels). It has personality and heart. For what it's worth, I *enjoyed* it far more than Super Meat Boy (which was an exercise in masochism). I'll be checking out Bootdisk Revolution's future works: keep it up, Ian Campbell!
  10. Oct 5, 2013
    Bleed is easily one of the best PC games I played all year. It is incredibly fun to play and I've honestly never seen slow-motion dodging incorporated so well. Add interesting level design and a pleasant art style, and you have a genuinely fun time.
    As far as criticism, the only one I can offer can be applied to most indie games. It is simply too short. There are only about seven levels. I would love to see some kind of DLC. In any case, I'll be keeping an eye on the developer.
  11. Nov 7, 2013
    I have to say, when I first started playing this game I didn't expect much because of the low price tag (I bought it when it was on sale).
    But I was really surprised by how good the game actually is. After playing the first levels I quickly got the hang of it and could enjoy the game even more.
    I also like the challenge when you play through the game for the first time. Also: I don't
    I also like the challenge when you play through the game for the first time.

Also: I don't know why but I kinda didn't notice the ingame shop. This resulted in me playing through the game on hard without any items, which was of course much more challenging than playing with items, but since I like difficult games (especially platformers) I don't regret not buying anything.

The gameplay and the bosses remind me of Megaman, and I think this game is pretty much on the same level as Megaman 2 (the only Mega Man game I've played *cough*) when it comes to having fun playing the game.

All in all:
    pros:
    The controls are really smooth and once you get the hang of them you really start to enjoy this game.
    Really well designed stages and bosses
    The various game modes are also super fun to play if you want the extra challenge. (Arcade mode and challenge mode)
    The difficulty settings
    The 16 bit+ graphics look really nice

neutral:
    The music. It's clearly not bad, but it's also not something that gets stuck in your ears easily (unlike cave story or Mega Man)
    The story: Honestly: it's a platformer, it doesn't need to have a great story. The great humour makes up for it though.

cons:
    It could be a little bit longer. If you're fast, you can play through this game in about 1 hour (I have also seen some speedrunners getting
  12. Nov 19, 2013
    Extremely fun and addicting despite of how short the game actually is. Its graphics are very good and it adds mechanics that other 2D games should have. I'm only giving this a 9 because once I beat the game in 1-2 hours I REALLY wanted more than just 7 tiny action-packed levels. Overall this game IS worth the $5
    that the developers charge if you are a fan of 2D adventure games.
  13. Nov 21, 2013
    Bleed is quite a fun title, filled with a creative 2d pixel art aesthetic, very enjoyable use of bullet time and a fun action platformer all around. However it suffers from one major shortfall, it's length.
    Bleed is a fairly short game with only 7 levels, with only some replay value (after to unlock all the characters and weapons, there's little reason to go back other than beating high scores and speed runs). However at a modest $5 (even less during steam sales) this is can be easily looked past.
  14. Oct 10, 2014
    Truly amazing game. The game isn't very unique and original, as everything in it has been done before, but what this game does; it does so incredibly well. It combines dodging/flying (sort of. You can do three jumps that are dragon ball Z-style), shooting and slowing down time. Never have I felt so incredibly bad-ass, when you're starting out on very hard and you manage to kill thoseTruly amazing game. The game isn't very unique and original, as everything in it has been done before, but what this game does; it does so incredibly well. It combines dodging/flying (sort of. You can do three jumps that are dragon ball Z-style), shooting and slowing down time. Never have I felt so incredibly bad-ass, when you're starting out on very hard and you manage to kill those bosses. Bullets everywhere, and you are standing there, controlling time, dodging bullets with perfect timing.

It really is a piece of art. The stages are well made. Everytime you expect the next stage will be easy, since you become better really fast (skill-wise. The ingame shop only helps so much), but then again they've come up with something incredible that takes everything you've got.

Most people here say it's short. It isn't really. It depends what you do. Of course games are short when you go for easy. Which is why you should go for the highest setting possible. I spent a lot of time on each boss, as I went for very hard without buying items. When you do that, the game truly is amazing and I can recommend you do the same. You'll die hundreds of times, but you'll love it.

Of course the game isn't flawless. The visuals are pretty basic, the story is bad, there aren't many stages and the shop is basic too. It's clearly visable this is just an indie game, made by one guy (I think), but for some reason those cons don't matter much. The game does something I've never felt before, and I'm going to keep playing this game until my hands fall off.
  15. Jan 19, 2015
    Bleed, although not without its imperfections, is a well constructed 2D run-n-gun shooter. It’s an example of how–with enough love to a project–indie games can be just as marvelous as AAA titles. I can not WAIT for Bleed 2! And yes, it has been confirmed.
  16. Sep 13, 2014
    An amazing pixel full action click and shoot 2D side-scroller game, incredibly fast paced, amazing controls, fitting music, BLEED's gameplay is dynamic and has a great variety of weapons and levels. BLEED campaign is bit short but still a great game.
  17. Jan 2, 2015
    I got this game for something like $1.25 on steam. I wasn't expecting much from a game cheaper than a bottle of soda, but its actually quite fun. Its not exactly the most different game out there. But if your someone who likes punishingly difficult games its great. Jack the difficulty up to high or extreme and it becomes fabulously hard. If your looking for a nice little game to play nowI got this game for something like $1.25 on steam. I wasn't expecting much from a game cheaper than a bottle of soda, but its actually quite fun. Its not exactly the most different game out there. But if your someone who likes punishingly difficult games its great. Jack the difficulty up to high or extreme and it becomes fabulously hard. If your looking for a nice little game to play now and then, and possibly some rage, go for it! Expand
  18. Dec 24, 2015
    Excellent old-school action game, with charming pixel-art and and some neat ideas put together. The action on screen is intense - especially on harder levels - while the bullet-time mechanics and mid-jump dashes make up for varied and interesting fights. The stage design and the bosses are pretty good and all of them pose their own challenge.

It may be a bit short, but on the other hand

It may be a bit short, but on the other hand it doesn't get repetitive.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jul 12, 2013
    There's little in Bleed that hasn't been seen before. But even though it hasn't reinvented how we kill baddies in two dimensions, it's still a fun and satisfying adventure. For just $5, you get a few hours of fast-paced combat, and there's punishing side missions tucked away for those who crave a challenge. Think you can get through the entire game without dying? Tight mechanics make it possible, but it takes dedication to earn that triumph. Bleed is an energetic tale of heroic conquest.
  2. PC Gamer
    Feb 28, 2013
    Bleed is not as refined as the aforementioned Super Meat Boy, not is its action as satisfying balletic as most bullet shmups. But there's a real spark in it--a spirit that lights the game up every time things slot into place. [April 2013, p.63]