8.1

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1922 Ratings

1. Sep 19, 2012

2. Sep 18, 2012
    A bit of unpolished physics, strange animations, and such keep this from being a perfect ten. But everything else?

Guns: Awesome. Gameplay: Exciting. Writing: Hysterical. Replayability: Basically infinite with the character-spanning Badass Token system.

This game is everything I'd hoped for.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    This game is exactly what the video game industry needed. I'm only a level 15 and yet i've been playing for hours - new game + just sweetens the deal. It's honestly going to be game of the year without a doubt.
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is like the original on steroids. Everything is just plain better - voice acting, story, UI, graphics...it's all just better. With the same awesome FPS experience the first one brought to the table. And GUNS. SO MANY GUNS. The game has way better options for PC gamers (FOV option is built right in), and the menu's are not all consolified like the first version, a nice gesture from the slap-in-the-face PC gamers get normally with console ports.

The world also feels bigger, but filled with more characters, rather then just endless desert like the original. While its no Skyrim in terms of world openness, it's at least headed in the right direction.

One small disappointment is the check point system remains the same. You have to find a check point in order to save your progress. Check points are so 90's. Adults have lives, and they don't always have 15 minutes to find the next pole. In the scheme of things...it's a minor complaint.

Bottom line - more baddies for you to shoot, blow-up and electrocute. Better voice acting, more story, better story, and all the FPS action of the original - it's pretty much FPS of the year.
  5. Sep 18, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands, you will love Borderlands 2. They did it. I don't know how, but they made Borderlands better. Best of all, they made the PC version playable! Playing over steam with friends is as easy as playing native steam games like Left 4 Dead 2 with friends. The graphics look great, the game runs perfectly at max settings with high end hardware, and the gameplay is fun and more challenging than the original. The only flaw I can really find in this game is that the menus are unnecessarily clunky. Namely, the inability to use WASD to navigate menus (Skyrim, anyone?). But really, this is a wonderful game so far, and a much better piece of software than the terrible PC version of the first game was. :D Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2012
    Beautiful graphics and animation, excellent cinematography, voice acting, dark sense of humor and overall theme.

Lots of quests / missions that are made even more seamless than the first. You might still feel it's a bit grindy, but if you don't like staples of RPGs (leveling, looting, questing) you shouldn't play RPGs.

The game certainly delivers as a FPS, perfect weapon / aim
    control, combat feels very fluid. Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2012
    I pre-ordered the game on Steam. It became available right at midnight with no issues.. Played for about 3 1/2 hours. The graphics are much better on PC than the console versions, theres even some Nvidia specific stuff you can turn on. If you liked Borderlands, you'll love Borderlands 2.
  8. Sep 19, 2012
    Improves upon the first game in every aspect. Keeps all of the good and fixed all of the bad from Borderlands 1. If you were a fan of the first this is a must play. Borderlands 1 DLC was the only DLC I have ever bought that I felt I got my moneys worth. (General Knox DLC was longer than some full AAA title games.) The first DLC is free to those who pre-ordered, and contains a new playable class/character. Like many new games, you can pre-order the DLC packs at a discount. This is the only game in the last 2 years that I would and have done so.

I would like to go back and play the first game with the new classes, smarter AI, better weapons, and updated graphics. Maybe in the DLC :).
  9. Sep 18, 2012
    Basically, if you enjoyed the first game, you will love this one. Gearbox listened to the feedback us nerds provided and answered by getting rid of the weak co-op and adding a tremendous amount of the things we enjoyed. Great dialog, creative environments, smooth gameplay, luscious looting. I am tempted to give it a 10.
  10. Sep 19, 2012
    Ugh... I normally don't post these but after reading a few of the negative reviews I felt compelled to. First off, this is not a console port. Borderlands 2 looks better and runs better than Borderlands 1 for the plain and simple fact it was optimized for PC. I'm running a $200 ATI video card I bought last November and the game runs fine.

Second, it does not have day one DLC. I'm sorry
    everyone, but if it was there I probably would've bought it. It does however have DLC coming out in a month that the developers worked on after the game went gold. If you pre-ordered the game, you get the DLC for free. The people moaning about this either didn't get the memo or forgot to pre-order. Its not our fault you missed out, every game gets pre-order goodness now and this game was no different.

Third, the game does offer a "season pass" for DLC. They aren't common, but it has been done before with games such as Saints Row 3. This is an optional purchase that will get you all of the DLC released over the next year (more or less). This is not an earth-shattering money grab, you are guaranteed to receive at least a set amount of DLC. It may even include the new character class (rumor I heard, but I have not independently confirmed it).

Fourth, if you didn't enjoy Borderlands 1 you probably will not enjoy Borderlands 2. I'm sorry, it doesn't have 32 player competitive multiplayer. Boo-freak'in-hoo.

Now, for those of you who want someone's opinion who knew what they were buying...

Graphically, the game is a minor improvement. It makes use of more shaders (reflective ice for example) and has been optimized for framerates.

The game no longer goes through Gamespy and accesses your Steam friends list. Port-forwarding is no longer required to host games (damn, that was annoying).

The weapon system has been tweaked so that weapons can use more than 1 ammo per shot, there are also new types of grenades such as "homing mirv sticky grenades". Health, ammo and cash will auto-loot in combat.

The humor is reminiscent of General Knoxx. If you have ever watched Frisky Dingo, Handsome Jack's lines seem like they were written for Xander Crews. Lines such as "... why don't you turn around and... what the hell happened to your face!"

Quests however seem to reuse zones a bit more though not as excessive as say Dragon Age 2. It is however more noticeable than Borderlands 1 and the enemies don't scale up. Boss fights and zones are now repeatable within a single game session.

Targeting... is a lot more specific in this version. If you are even a pixel off from hitting a mob, they will not be hit. There is a target assist, but I don't recommend using it

The max level is 50, expect Gearbox to dangle increased level caps in DLC. That's exactly what they did in Borderlands 1 DLC. I would've have preferred more levels and larger skills trees... but we don't all get what we want.

The game rewards players with multiple characters with the "bada**" system that allows you to take incremental upgrades based on achievement completion that affects all characters. It can be toggled off.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. Its not the breakthrough that Borderlands 1 was but it is an evolution of the game concept with some risky features added in. If you are looking for a game with an intricate story, this game isn't for you. Solo play may even be downright boring. But if you've got friends or don't mind playing with random people, cooperative play is where this game really shines.
  11. Sep 18, 2012
    The game is fantastic. They addressed a number of config problems from borderlands one, resulting in a much smoother PC experience. The mobs feel great, the quests are just in line with what I wanted in terms of difficulty, variety, and story. Their audio snippets are a smash hit with me, and I wish more devs would tell story that way.
  12. Sep 18, 2012
    It's like borderlands except without all the problems, there is enough variety to make every gun feel unique. The physx effects are amazingly optimized, runs at 50-60 FPS on my GTX 580, all high settings and physx high.
  13. Sep 18, 2012
    Excellent game. PC version is well made like Gearbo's support. There's some problems but I trust that developer fixes them, since they already provided PC features that are lacking in other games. Great game, fun to play.
  14. Sep 18, 2012
    Game of the year, if not the greatest game of all time. Probably the greatest FPSRPG of all time. Absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. Improves on every single aspect of Borderlands 1. GG guys, gg.
  15. Sep 18, 2012
    Game expands on the original with more of their humor and more weapons. If you enjoy your loot driven games like Diablo and torchlight you'll enjoy this FPSRPG. Scored non 10 because being a console port video options are pretty weak. As for the negative reviews for split-screen on a PC ...I don't even..
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    Played non stop since the midnight release. I have got to say, it was well worth the $36 dollars I ended up spending. They really went above and beyond a simple port. It has integrated well with PC and steam. I was really surprised to find how easy it was to find my steam friends on there, and how easy it was to join them.. like even easier than TF2
  17. Sep 19, 2012
    The game is like a polished version of 1. If you loved 1 you will probably love this one. It takes the concepts from the 1st game and expands them. I am playing with 3 friends and I feel like many hours of our collective lives will be buried in this title. During the 1st Hour I laughed, got knocked down, got numerous satisfying headshots and squealed like a kid at Christmas.
  18. Jan 14, 2013
    This game really surprised me.Never played first borderlands since graphic was unappealing to me. Most likely would never picked up second one if it wasn't gifted to me. I must say that i had real blast while playing it. Not even sure when my steam counter jumped to over 50 hours in less then 2 weeks ;). I really love it, Pandora is amazing place to explore. everywhere you go there's something completely new to discover. Scenery really changes between zones, they put lots of work into them. I only wish zones would level with me, some quests were simply too easy as i came back to them after a while. other then that, perfect game Expand
  19. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great iteration on the same formula that made Borderlands fun. Every single system is improved, including the anemic opening fights in the first game; this time you jump into a plot fight without having to wade through a mile of filler first. Claptrap is often actually amusing - Gearbox clearly realized how annoying he became in the first and made him the butt of some honestly funny jokes here. Gun handling is tight and I'd say the PC version is truly a "PC version", not a "PC port" - much unlike the first game, they put in the time to do it right. The difficulty is turned up a few notches, though - my Siren character regularly gets curb stomped which didn't happen much in the first game. The game is clearly balanced for multiplayer, but it's still a lot of fun single player - just don't expect to dominate everything on your first try like in BL 1. In short, this is a truly excellent followup. If you liked Borderlands you absolutely need to get this; if you didn't, skip the first and try this out. Especially for PC, it is literally better in every way. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    Best loot driven game I have played. Incredibly funny dialogue, fun to play classes, beautiful graphics and tons of weapons. It's so easy to play with your friends and the PC version is superb.
  21. Sep 18, 2012
    Some of the reviews have said that this is a console port. This is actually untrue though. I had followed the development of BL2 pretty closely and one thing that Gearbox always stressed is that the PC version was not a simple game port. Its the a full fledged GAME. Which is to say that they developed this version of the game alongside the console versions (not afterward). For a game developer to do that extra work just to keep consumers happy AND release a game this good is just the best, 10/10 for the game and 10/10 for Gearbox. Expand
  22. Sep 19, 2012
    Never played a game so funny and so awsome like this.A masterpiece in all aspects.The gameplay is unique,the humor are fantastic,the story is comic but more madure,with more emotion this time.The graphics are better and the game runs like a charm in a pc with minimum requiriments.The guns? How mich?Just don't know.. maybe..infinite? Amazing,diversified and beautiful guns.All of then. Love the game.It's 100%worth and 100% awsome. A must-have and a must-buy. Expand
  23. Sep 20, 2012
    I've been waiting to this day for a long time, played Borderlands 2 almost 6 hours today and I can say that this game is AMAZING. The first game was insanely fun and Gearbox took everything that we didn't like it and improved. You will no longer receive damage from falling, no matter how high you will jump, your challenges now will give you a little -yet essential- bonus ; you don't need to repair Claptraps anymore to expand your backpack and you won't need to spend 600000 dollars in a single weapon upgrade (Crazy Earl will do that for Eridium - a new kind of currency in Pandora), this game doesnt label your character ; what do I mean ? That you can play as Zero and use assault rifles, you can snipe with Axton, you can do everything you want, because you've 3 different Skill trees to each character, making 3 different ways of gameplay with each one. Borderlands 2 it's all about fetching quests and looking for new and more powerful guns, and it delivers pretty well. The sidequests are the real GEM of this game, you will laugh your ass off with that sweet humor that you can only find in Borderlands. Our beloved characters are back, you can drink with Moxxi (from Mad Moxxi DLC), Catch a Ride with the funny (probably one of the funniest characters in the game) redneck Scooter and his sister Ellie, high five and dance dubstep with Claptrap, or help Roland/Mordecai/Lilith and Brick to defeat the biggest prick of Pandora - Handsome Jack. All in all Borderlands HAS EVERYTHING that I care about - Funny and good story (and sidequests), LOTS of guns, Solid Cell-shading graphics, an awesome 4 people strategic co-op, a HUGE word with tons of new enemies and Claptrap - I'm still checking this little guy dancing. Borderlands 2 is a MUST for both Hardcore/Casual gamers. Expand
  24. Sep 18, 2012
    at 13 hours into launch and i had realized i had put in 11.8 hours into the game. In a year where there are quite a few AAA titles, Borderlands 2 is a very strong contender for my personal 2012 GOTY..... however two glaring points keep BL2 from a 10/10 score. the first: STILL not being able to track multiple missions on your radar, the second: backtracking! having to trek across a map that is 5-6 levels below you (with respawned bosses along the way) just to complete an objective = not fun. everything else pretty much rocks... i love the new menus, pc optimization & settings (compared to the bare-bones console port of BL1), the bonus character skins/heads for achievements, the music (still have it on 10, yet to mute it), the epic dialogue/banter (especially from Clap Trap, Scooter, Handsome Jack), old & new characters & enemies... yes there is announced DLC but if its anything like BL1's add-ons, Gearbox actually does this right. All in all.... 9 out of 10 Marcus bobbleheads. Expand
  25. Sep 24, 2012
    So far, i have played about 13 hours, this is a great game. The enemies are great, the weapons are great, each area feels like it has been designed and not just thrown together. It is really well balanced. Sometimes you feel like you are kicking ass other times you are praying for a 'fight back' kill to get back on your feet. I only played a little bit of borderlands 1 and couldn't really get in to it. I didn't give it enough of a chance but it felt a lot more generic than this. If you have played a lot of borderlands 1 maybe this would not be as much fun... maybe. Anyway I am loving it. The action is solid, the level up system is rewarding and the guns are great. I don't care how many there are but the ones you use feel great. Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2012
    Takes what was so good about Borderlands, and makes it even better. Then adds just about every tweek and improvement you can think of.

After having to deal with Diablo 3 for months of disapointment, frustration, and trying to finish without using the real money auction house, this game gives me faith again in game developers again.
  27. Feb 8, 2013
    First play through: amazing. 10/10. The story is meh, but the fun factor is there. Co-op with some buddies is awesome, much the same as BL1. Farming can get old pretty fast. Some of the characters are done excellently; Handsome Jack comes to mind. Second play through: Not so amazing. 7.5/10. Gets boring rather quickly... you know what's coming, there are no new skills as by that point you can re-spec to any skill you want. DLC, in order of how I would rate them... 1) Pirates 2) Torgue 3) Hammerlock. Pirates was fun, new enemies, new vehicle (and the best one in the game, I think) Torgue was hilarious, and Hammerlock? Hammerlock was crap. If you bought the seasons pass, sorry. You could have spent the same amount of cash on the other 3 (1 not released yet) and saved yourself some trouble. It wasn't a 3/10, but a solid 5.5. The game itself is great... For a while. After that it's grind-fest. Still, I find myself going to my Steam library and constantly playing it. Now that it's 50% off, get it while it lasts! Expand
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    What is with PC gamers nowadays? I've been primarily a PC gamer since before Wolfenstein 3D, and after all this time, I am completely unable to understand how people can be so ridiculously critical of PC games. This game is being vilified as a console port? Seriously?? The graphics are vastly improved over the original, there are options to change TONS of graphics options (including the oft-asked-for field of view), the controls are rock-solid and customizable, and there are only a few bugs. I'm honestly starting to believe that PC gamers are going to whine until there are no more consoles, period. Dark Souls was the roughest port I've ever seen, but the game was still awesome, and I want to see more console games on PC. Rant aside, this game is awesome. While it is not radically different than the first, the mechanics are all improved, and the game has been expanded greatly. If you liked Borderlands 1, you will love 2. If you didn't like 1, you probably won't like 2 either. The characters are all diverse, and the abilities are a lot more useful and powerful (Phaselock in particular is insanely handy). I went through Borderlands 1 without using the special abilities really at all, but that's not the case with 2. Guns are widely more varied now, and are interesting to collect. The only criticism I can say about guns is that in the early part of the game, I ran out of ammo INSANELY quickly. In multiplayer, you share money, eridium (used to buy upgrades), and even ammo (the other player gets half of what you pick up). Sharing loot can still be a sore spot in multiplayer matches, but if you're playing with friends, it shouldn't be a huge problem. The way character upgrades work is a lot better than Borderlands 1 as well. In 1, you only leveled up weapons that you used, which led to people sticking to one type of gun from the very beginning. In 2, however, you work on "challenges" that give you points you can use towards certain unlocks. It's a much more elegant system. ***************************************************************************************** Bottom line, Borderlands 2 is a very well-done game that surpasses the original in every way. If you were bored by Borderlands 1, pass 2 up, but if you loved 1, you will love 2. Expand
  29. Oct 24, 2012
    Very, very nice game. And one of the things that makes this game so good is that 2K Games succeded in what is nearly impossiple: Making a game that is better than it's predecessor in every way. The story is better, the talent system is better, the jokes are funnier and most importantly: The loot is way more awesome! The only reason i only gave this game 9/10 is because the single player is a lot worse than the multiplayer. Especially the last stand system is completly **** when there is no one to revive you. So i think i would give the multiplayer a 10/10 and then the single player about 7/10. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2012
    Alright, let's get the fact that this game is a console port out of the way. It's a console port. There I said it, now let's get over it. Moving on to the important parts, such as gameplay, narrative, and graphics, the things people actually give a flying f*** about. If you've played the first, then you'll know what the gameplay is like. It's the same basic idea, random weapon generator creates hundreds of weapons, you shoot enemies, enemies die,you get loot and experience. And you know what? That's a recipe for some good gameplay in my book. I also think Gearbox made the right move in creating four all new Vault Hunters, while making the originals important to the story. That leads me to the next part, which is the story. Basically, you're a Vault Hunter, Handsome Jack is evil and cruel, you must kill him before he finds the new Vault and uses it to rule all of Pandora. Pretty straightforward, but it works. And Jack is just one of those antagonists you hate from the very beginning. He's rude, sarcastic, cruel, and, well...evil, I guess would be the right word. It's a straightforward plot, but it's a bloody good one. My only complaint are the PC's vehicle controls, which are a bit...what's a good word...clunky. But that's a small complaint as I got used to them fairly quickly. Now, for the graphics...honestly, I couldn't care less that the graphics aren't as good on the PC version as they are on the consoles. Why? Because I don't need fancy graphics to keep me entertained. The core of a game is how it plays, not how it looks. Give me a game with good gameplay and bad graphics over a game with bad gameplay and good graphics any day. To sum up, it's a very well done game, and a worthy sequel to the original. I recommend it, regardless of which platform you get it for. Expand
  31. Sep 20, 2012
    Outstanding. Meets the brilliant and non stop fun level of its predecessor. I would honestly call this, the game of the year. The large scale map and over 50+ hours of single player is exactly the type of game I am interested in. I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys any game.
  32. Sep 18, 2012
    Overall good game and well priced, Day one DLC isn't released on day one, and preorder bonus is achievable by registering at gearbox. Multiplayer is broken, but every game has its day one bugs.
  33. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is so freakin awesome! There are no other words for it. If anyone wants to CO-OP on the computer, go to my gaming communities Steam page and join our Community. You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/synergy-community

Happy Gaming!!! :)

~Princess
  34. Sep 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very fun, a very entertaining story. It has perfect mix of comedic and serious game-play. The weapon system is simple, which works out well since there are so many weapons that you can obtain. The only reason that i give this a 9, is that the game is less fun in single player than in multiplayer. My recommendation, call your friends, and get playing. Expand
  35. Sep 19, 2012
    There are a lot of things being said regarding this game that are simple fallacies. I'll try and address them. Is this game a console port? It was developed simultaneously on PC/X360/PS3 with platform specific functions and abilities. If you want to call that a console port, go ahead, but the PC version is far and away the version to play if you don't care for using a controller on FPS. Is there Day 1 DLC? The "Season Pass" gives you access to DLC ahead of time, but in no means gives you part of the story of the game that was included with the game. If you want to jump into your friends game who go the premier club edition, he might have more loot than you and thats about it. He doesn't have additional content. Is this a moneygrab? I've said this about EA many times, simply because they produce a horrible game with a big time franchise name. Gearbox is giving us the second title in a fledgling series, so no, this is NOT a money grab. The game is shoot and loot, it even has a raid boss when you hit level cap. So, I think I've covered most bases, if you're rating this game low because all you do is kill things and get loot, then you bought the WRONG GAME. That said, if you enjoyed the first Borderlands, you're in for a awesome treat. And if you didn't play the first, you're in for a awesome treat! This game is leaps and bounds above its predecessor, with almost all of its major mechanics being improved. The gun play endlessly robust with an exponential amount of options available on every class of gun. No longer are you really building your character around a particular weapon, but actually building up class skills that may compliment a particular class of guns. You can still use a rocket launcher effectively as a sniper. Graphically, the PC is excellent looking, provided you have the hardware to run it. Turn up the Physx and you get some pretty cool particle effects. Don't have a nV card? The game is still vibrant and beautiful. Looking to play with friends? Slipping in and out of friends games is now much easier and simple. You can connect through Steamworks, giving the appearance of XBL or PSN. Because its built into the front end of the game, you just choose a friend and GO. Things that still need work : movement mechanics are still a little strange. Walking around and not being able to jump over or on something still pops up. Driving mechanics are still fairly flat, but there are many vehicle options this go-around. You are now able to customize the aesthetics of your character and vehicles given dropped items in game. So there you have it, a game which completely dominates its predecessor in every aspect while rolling up some of the more modern abilities of multiplayer and offering one of the most unique gaming experiences via the FPS/RPG hybrid. Thank you Gearbox, we need more developers that have your integrity! Expand
  36. Sep 18, 2012
    Outstanding game, Gearbox has outdone themselves again except better than ever. I would have preferred they stuck with the old in game font, but I can live with this one. Loot is great, enemies are creative and awesome looking, graphically this game works great on a variety of gaming PCs. If you use PhysX this game looks STUNNING. I love cel shaded graphics, and the PhysX technology just takes it to the next level. With this game and Torchlight 2 coming out, I think I'll have to quit out on a social life completely. Expand
  37. Sep 24, 2012
    Game is awesome, and much better than I initially expected.. This is a superb port, and has proper PC options. Gameplay/levels themselves are varied and highly fun. Playing in coop with friends or even strangers is incredibly fun. Overall, this is a great game and a GOTY contender.
  38. Sep 18, 2012
    Best co-op game I have ever played. There are so many guns and the world is so beautiful. The shooting is fast and fun and the game has the most diverse enemy list I have ever seen. The PC version is easily the best version as well.
  39. Sep 20, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011 if not the best. I haven't had this much fun since.. well borderlands. Graphics, sound and areas are superb. Co-op connectivity has been fixed (B1 was pretty bad) and it's a blast to play with friends. I have nothing negative to say about this game. GET IT!
  40. Sep 18, 2012
    It's more Borderlands, except now Borderlands is better. It's like the first game was a rough plaster statue hastily thrown together, you could still admire the idea but it was rather rough, and Borderlands 2 is a fine marble version of the same statue, only now it's cleaner and glows on the colors of the light spectrum.
  41. Sep 19, 2012
    So good that it puts BL1 to shame. I dont understand the need for all the negative reviews by conspiracy theorists when games actually receive a phenomenal score.
  42. Sep 19, 2012
    My opinion/review is simple. BUY IT! If you like FPS+RPG+endless loot this is for you. If you don't like long, in depth games DON'T BUY IT! This game is highly recommended by myself and is much easier than the 1st one and looks/feels better too! Keep in mind this is based on opinion and not fact. This is from my own personal experiences. ENJOY!!!
  43. Sep 20, 2012
    Damn near perfect, even for a console port. It is early on launch day yet it feels crisp and clean. Controlling your character is far easier this time around as the control are much better developed for the PC. The humor is dark, although the story is a little more serious this time around. About an hour in to the game you really want to kill Handsome Jack, and if you still think he is a cool dude by then you're pretty **** up. If you liked Borderlands you will find that this is a true sequel that lives up to the hype. They did a great job of melding the story of Borderlands with Borderlands 2. I know, I know they are sequels but GearBox didn't really set the first game up for having a sequel. I guess since the story in the original was kinda of lacking it makes sense that it was easy to mold the two together. Overall Borderlands 2 is a great improvement on the original connecting with friends is far easier now that Steam has been fully integrated, even though it is still a little buggy when connecting initially. Maybe the best improvement they have made is the size of the game. The world feels large and looks large, not the mention it is beautiful. I can run this game on almost the highest setting on my laptop. (Note: I do have a ASUS RoG laptop designed for games but it is kind of dated) If you have a computer that can handle CoD you will be fine. Expand
  44. Sep 19, 2012
    This is a vast improvement over BL1. Definitely a great port, almost as good as a pc exclusive title. Gameplay is fun, environment is more lively, and new characters are awesome. BL2 is hilarious, so many great punchlines. Originally, the game crashed and I couldn't play. Had to update my BIOS. (AMD/Gigabyte)
    But that does not warrant for a lower rating.

45. Sep 19, 2012
    Excellent game. Vastly superior to the original, far more engaging. Many reviewers are moaning about the PC port but in my opinion, this is the best AAA port in a while. There are numerous pc exclusive graphical options in Borderlands 2; from what I have seen, it looks much better than it's console counterparts.
  46. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2.0 is most certainly a worthy sequel to Borderlands and it's huge stable of DLC (most of which are awesome, though, screw Underdome). More gun variety, new missions, updated graphics (with great tweaks, including an FOV slider for the queasy among us), more colorful maps, and spectacular humor, this game will appease the hunger of any BL1 fans.
  47. Sep 19, 2012
    First off, this is NOT a console port(Did you guys even play the game?). Again to repeat what has been said before, If you like the first one you'll love this one. New dialogue is great, new weapons is awesome! There is enough variance in this game to make it different from the first one (from skill tree changes, to the options in game). The game delivers on what they said they would, its all about killing and looting.

The only real disappointment I have with the game are the in game UI's. They do feel clunky and awkward to use, and I do think the Borderlands 1 had better UI's. I don't like having to click an arrow to view whats in my backpack, or to view all my skills in the trees. But this doesn't completely take away from the game for me.
  48. Sep 19, 2012
    PC Makes A Difference
    When it comes to first-person shooters, there are going to be (loud) arguments from console and PC supporters about why their platform is superior. Gearbox released a
  49. Sep 19, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is an absolutely phenomenal game that features many aspects of the original with some added tweaks and improvements + a fresh story line. The game is a hands down 9, 10 in my case since I was a big fan of the original and I'm happy they didn't try to fix a system that wasn't broken. I'd like to address the dissenters who are complaining about the game and through that, also point out the positives of the game. First of all, if Metacritic is deleting your reviews, it's because you are giving a game a "0" that is clearly a 7 at bare minimum. I honestly can't think of any game I've ever played literally being a "0," and honestly I don't think the dissenters have either. Over exaggeration and trolling should be deleted. It's good they are deleting your reviews, because to be honest, you're just trolling and damaging the reputation of a company based on your own obnoxious behavior. No one has time to put up with little 15 year olds and their complaining. In regards to the complaints about the game as a PC port, the game was ported over very well. The controls are great and they give you a large amount of personal customization. I find it funny people are calling it a bad port, yet have no reasons for making this assertion. The graphics are excellent as well, it is a cell shaded game, so if you dislike cell shading, then you won't like these graphics. However, to say the game has bad graphics is a lie, because for what it is, the graphics are detailed, crisp, and vibrant. I'm playing on a 1080p display with the graphics maxed and visually, it is very pleasing. Even on the lower graphic levels, the game is still better than the graphics on the original and looks better than any console game. I've also seen people complain about day 1 DLC, however, this is entirely false. There is no DLC released for Borderlands 2 yet, and most of it, if any, won't be released until 2013. What 2k is offering is a season pass, meaning if you buy the season pass, which will include access to ALL DLC released for this game FOREVER, you can buy the DLC at one low cost. It's basically a way for fans of the game to get large quantities of future DLC at a lower cost then buying individually. Think bulk purchase. If you were to be upset about that, then it seems your general complaint is about DLC in general, which is an absolutely foolish complaint. The game play mostly consists of shooting, looting, and questing. I personally enjoy that, and it if sounds appealing to you, then you will probably like this game. If not, then oh well. I've had my share of complaints regarding Metacritic in the past, such as with Diablo 3, however, on this one, Metacritic is spot on. Expand
  50. Sep 24, 2012
    This is the second game of the summer to hit a sequel out of the park. The slightly comic book, gritty graphic style has stayed but has seen some nice detailed improvements. The UI has seen incredible improvements but still struggles to keep everything organized when you're comparing things in a store. This is a very enjoyable FPS action adventure that will have you laughing and enjoying yourself, provided you're not so uptight that you can't laugh at a bit of facetious throwback humor. Developers take note on sequels from this and TL2 this summer.. if it's not broke, don't fix it. Expand
  51. Oct 6, 2012
    Borderlands 2 one-ups the entire gaming industry by making achievements a meaningful and fun venture that awards you with something that matters rather than a digital "star" to put on your refrigerator.

The first Borderlands game was a solid 9.0 across the board. I have played thousands of games in my lifetime and this is one of the very few games to take itself and its customers so
    seriously as to make a sequel that is better in every way imaginable. Nothing this explosive as a sequel has come out of the industry since Mario Brothers and Final Fantasy. Since then gamers have been getting ripped off in every way imaginable it seems BL2 even released with fewer bugs than I have seen in a PC release in over a decade.

I very rarely write game reviews since there is so much garbage out there, but this game deserves a lot of gamer love.
  52. Oct 11, 2012
    Being a big fan of Borderlands 1 I pre-ordered the sequel through Steam. Gearbox did very well to say at least. The main game is huge, graphics are awesome, the new classes are okay, some of the NPC are really well done (Tiny Tina comes to mind). Hopefully Gearbox will expand their story lines in the planned DLC.

The biggest improvement for me is the variety of mobs compared to the
    first game. PC port is okay, the in game inventory interface are still a bit strange though.

Even for the AAA title price tag this game is a must for every FPS fan.
  53. Sep 19, 2012
    No idea what game people whining about "console port" are playing. The PC version here is a huge improvement over Borderlands 1. Multiplayer is fully integrated into Steam and worked great for me, instead of tacked on Gamespy stuff. The menus are better designed for the PC. Graphics options exist now. This is easily the best looking version of the game. Oh yeah, and it's fun! Some people will whine about anything it seems, but the rest of us will be busy shooting things for fun and profit. Expand
  54. Sep 23, 2012
    Slick. Polished. Addictive in a good way. Basically diablo 2 with guns and physx particles flying everywhere. And no stupid RMAH that destroys any addiction to the loot system. I'm 30 hrs in to the game, playing it drop in / out co-op with steam friends and it is very very awesome. FOV is right. .ini settings work. This is a decent PC version. The storyline is actually interesting and there's lots of nice visual moments in the game along with a brilliant cast and accompanying dialogue that can be funny in all sorts of ways (whether it's because it's soo not funny that it is, or because they sometimes nail taking the piss out of another game/movie/reference.). Definitely recommend it, especially if you have other steam friends to play it with. Expand
  55. Sep 22, 2012
    Really enjoyable game. Not sure why people are complaining, "it's more of Borderlands." Well yeah, it is. That's what we wanted and asked for. Only this one is very polished and frankly hella fun. I can't put it down (was up until 3:40am last night playing).

Just an extremely engaging comic-book style run and gun game. How can you be disappointed about a million guns, a million
    enemies, funny writing and more quests than you can shake a stick at?

Well deserving of a "9" score.
  56. Sep 20, 2012
    As someone who did not play the original Borderlands, I really didn't know what to expect from the sequel. In fact, the only reason I even started playing Borderlands 2 on PC was that I got it for free when I bought a new Nvidia video card. I don't know how the original compares, but my friends and I are having an absolute blast shooting our way through the planet of Pandora!

From what
    I've heard, the original game was a rather pathetic PC port, but the sequel brings the joy with a huge amount of graphical options and tweaks, including PhysX support for liquids. This also is one of the first PC games I've seen that let you completely customize Xbox controls. Seriously, I don't know why ALL games, console or PC, include this option. There are a lot of little features like this that have surprised and delighted me throughout the game.

Sure, the game looks gorgeous, despite it's "simplified" cel-shading, but the real appeal of Borderlands 2 is the characters, writing, and most of all, the GUNS. The characters are often absolutely hilarious, and some of the dialogue and missions have just been outright wrong- in a good way! But the massive variety of guns are really what cause B2 to shine. In most RPGs, back tracking to past mission areas sucks, but in Borderlands 2 when you back track you're generally far enough along that you're doing so with a completely different set of weapons. This changes your experience dramatically. In fact, one thing that really impressed me about B2's gunplay is the fact that so many different fights require different gun tactics. You're going to have a tough time with different encounters if you always lean on one gun. I always found myself using my entire arsenal in different situations. It's this variety that really sets B2 apart from many other shooters, and especially from RPGs that tend to get very repetitive.

I could go on about the fun character design, unique enemies, challenging "badasses" and bosses, fantastic vehicle combat, or any number of other features, but this review would grow too long. If there was one thing I could say that was remotely negative, it would be an improved matchmaking system. At the moment it takes quite some time to load the list of games to join, and oftentimes when trying to join a game, the connection will time out. This could be related to network setups on the people I have been trying to join, but I know that my own network isn't the issue (ethernet with fiber 50down/75up). Not sure if anyone will actually read this review, but I have to say that if you didn't try out the original game, like me, don't miss out on this one. It's fun as hell! If there's one tip I have for you, it's to play the game with a friend, or two, or three. Playing with randoms is fun for alternate characters, but for the main class you plan on playing through the story with, I suggest doing so with someone you know. It makes the game that much more fun.
  57. Sep 24, 2012
    Borderlands 2 should be the template that all future developers use in the study of "How To Do A Sequel Right". It is a vast improvement over an already fun and time-consuming co-op experience and delivers so much more depth and customization and replay that the only problem I've run into is finding time for any other game in the last week. Borderlands 2 is a life-sucking game, be warned.
  58. Oct 5, 2012
    Game of the Year for me..its got everything that i would love..good graphics, gameplay , even the story got better this time and the soundtrack is simply amazing...everything is just badass.....
  59. Sep 19, 2012
    im a fan of the first borderlands and im VERY satisfied with this new borderlands, they really made a great job and im just waiting to get that new awesome weapon to fight and kill monsters with my friends, thanks for create this masterpiece
  60. Sep 20, 2012
    Okay, so why did I give it a 10? Because in my opinion it's everything I loved from the first one with everything a sequel should have. Brand new everything, weapon types, new element type, too many enemy types to think of, brand new locales... Everything. I can't stress how much this game was worth the money I paid for it enough. This isn't some crappy rehash of the first game. It's a sequel and it's a damn good one. I can't believe I'm even taking time to write this, but I'm tired and I just went through one of the most gripping scenes in a video game that I can remember. To prove that I am a freaking gamer who loves this game my steam id is CJx101. Please add me if you think I'm from gearbox or some crap. Anyways, when something garners this much attention it's bound to draw the haters, the people who complain over really stupid **** or the people who didn't like the first one and say the same crap about this one. The graphics are slightly better, not a selling point nor should it be a buying point. The gameplay is where the game shines, everything has been improved, the loot system, god boring technical details, so eff that. The game is awesome, if you liked the first one you will love this one. It's not a **** expansion and you shouldn't feel freaking ripped off when everything in the goddamn game is different than the first one, that doesn't even make sense. If you've played the first and then this one, there are so few similarities in locales, enemies, and the variety of guns that you can't even claim that as an argument. and the story is just awesome, no spoilers, but it's waaaayyyy better than the first one, and is actually probably my biggest reason for loving this game so much. I cannot wait (very close) to the minute I blow Handsome Jack's **** head off. That's all I wanted to say, now back to Borderlands 2 and ignore the negative responses, people can find anything to **** about. Expand
  61. Sep 21, 2012
    I don't know how people can hate this game... it so much fun... maybe you should try playing with a friend or 2....

Anyway... my first impression of the game was that it is very similar to the first one... but with much more improvements... more guns, better abilities... new characters, MINIMAP FFS!, better inventory, better quests... stronger and smarter enemies, better graphics
    without making the game much heavier then it was....
    Sounds are great as always and in conclusion the game is worth buying, worth playing and hell with all the haters... fix your pc's...
  62. Sep 19, 2012
    Basically everything that made Borderlands 1 great is done better in Borderlands 2, with even more stuff thrown in. This is a fantastic game. Also, I'm betting the people complaining that Borderlands 2 is JUST a console port haven't even played the game, as the interface is vastly improved for PC use over Borderlands 1, and many options are included to help PC users tweak the game to play how they like that were only accessible by modifying INI files in Borderlands 1. Expand
  63. Sep 24, 2012
    This game is a FANTTTAASSSTIC! game! I lovfe it! AND console port??? DAMN! It is perfect FOR PC. No problems at all none. I love this game.

Only problem for ME! Is that sometimes its annoying when the enemies know how to dodge/are fast ;)! ARGH! This game can be hard if the enemies DODGE FAST or they have alot alot of HP!

But yeah you just have to complete side guests ( WHICH GIVE
    YOU nice bonus skins etc!!!! :) love it!) and then you have enough LVL and guns and all to take on da bosses. 9.5/10. I got no major complains Expand
  64. Sep 19, 2012
    I honestly don't get why people are rating this so low. Yes, it is a console port, but a really well done one at that. You want to criticize a BAD one, look at Dark Souls (which was still fun), or even the first Borderlands at that.

That said, let's get to my actual review. Graphics look similar to the first, but with improved quality, a plus. Gameplay (As an Assassin, my experience)
    involves actively dashing around while getting as many well-aimed criticals as possible, also a plus. Enemy interaction and personality has MUCH more depth than before, but I have noticed a few bugs with the AI (for example, it's not uncommon to see a bandit looking straight up and shooting at some nonexistent target). Aside from that bug though, I see nothing but improvement over the first game, which was already fun enough on its own. All in all, if you liked the original, you'll like the sequel even more. If you didn't like the original, don't expect the sequel to be any different. Expand
  65. Sep 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you loved Borderlands, you will love Borderlands 2. They did it. I don't know how, but they made Borderlands better. Best of all, they made the PC version playable! Playing over steam with friends is as easy as playing native steam games like Left 4 Dead 2 with friends. Expand
  66. Sep 30, 2012
    Fantastic!

This game is a Beast only those who have the might to take it on shall fall in ranks, this game is on another level is creativity and they pack a mean punch when it comes to game play. if only there were more great games of this magnitude released in the year we would be o so soaked in marvelous games. now lets take this time to thank the makers of BL2 and salute them with pride! TY!
  67. Sep 21, 2012
    This game might not be for everyone, but it sure as heck is for a lot of them. The graphics are unique and not at all following the main trend of, "It must be realistic!" Which is always a good thing. The humor is rather dark, and it will at least make you crack a smile. The gameplay is more suited for hardcore and not for casual players. If someone who's not very good with games that require accurate mouse movement and constant movement around the map, they should play with a friend. The story is better than the Borderlands 1, along many other things, but it the questions of what the story is lingers. In this one, it's much more straight forward than the last; kill Handsome Jack. I've played about 5 hours and I'm loving it. It's moving a bit slow for my taste, but that's actually good. Only because it's got more content to go through, and they planned it out for you to level up as you go.

On the edge of buying this game? Buy it.
    Didn't like the first one at all? Buy this one.
    Thinking the negative reviews are true? They're not.

(I made an account just to give this game a better rating, if that says anything.)
  68. Sep 21, 2012
    They say variety is the spice of life and this is what makes Borderlands 2 such a red-hot game; elements such as the endless weapon variation, quirky sense of humour, cartoon decor and almost-comical violence really leave a great and addicting impression of the game to players. Gearbox have truly made a masterpiece shooter. Enjoy!! (or buy if you haven't already). For people whinging about the game-play system what did you expect? This is Borderlands, this is the style of the game; you either love it or you hate it, maybe you should try it before buying and then having a fat whinge about how it was waste of money. Expand
  69. Sep 21, 2012
    Let me start this by saying if you didnt like the first one, you will hate this one...and if you liked the first one, then you will nerdgasm like crazy your first 5 or so hours playing this. Everything that was wrong with the 1st is fixed, theyve expanded on everything great while still not taking out the greatness. I really cant say enough good things about this game. The graphics are better, the gameplay is refined and the little things theyve added, also I must note that the soundtrack is just badass. Gearbox outdid themselves here, grab 3 friends, lots of mountain dew and prepare to sink many a night into this title. Expand
  70. Nov 16, 2012
    I generally don't cum in my pants from a video game but this made me leave my wife and change my name to Claptrap. Don't worry ladies that's not my porn name.
  71. Sep 13, 2013
    played B1 and it was nice, but the trailes and previews of B2 really didnt look to good for me, so i decided 1st not to buy it. But a freind of mine did and keep telling me how great it is so i decided to give it a shot and boy i am glad i did. i played that game over 400+ hours for now, and its the most brilliant and fun game which was ever released imho, i cant wait till they release Borderland 3 tbh, i am curious how it continues. Expand
  72. Jul 26, 2013
    just buy this game! if you are thinking of buying this game just do it right now you will have hours of fun playing this game and the pc port is great i have had no problems
  73. Jul 22, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Borderlands 1 i had to get the second one! From my prospective this game is almost perfect. the graphics are good, the story is good, the game play is good and the list goes on and on.
    For those of you who liked the first one, i really recommend this game.
  74. Aug 6, 2013
    I can't even start to describe the amounts of laughs, fun and action this game packs.
    A true gem that combines RPG and FPS so well, by using inginious characters spiced qith superb sarcasm and beautiful graphics.
    I can't stopped playing it, and it already have 4 DLCs, and a level cap increase!!
  75. Sep 21, 2012
    Great game, good graphics, exciting gameplay, brilliant loot, only problem so far is very very minor glitching , but all in all I am pleased I got it
  76. Apr 25, 2013
    The Borderlands series has a brilliant formula of wacky humor, countless guns, and RPG mechanics. Borderlands 2 has crushed its prequel with modified gameplay, gorgeous graphics, hectic music and an interesting story. While the sequel improved in every department, its story took me by surprise. The strong, unique, and diverse personalities you’ll meet through the well-paced story improves the entire experience. Most importantly, this gives life and excitement to the planet of Pandora, which was just a boring hunk of rock in the original game. The “Bazzilion” guns that Gearbox claimed Borderlands 2 will have was no joke, and it’s more than just a few minor tweaks in damage and accuracy. The guns will sometimes have a huge bayonet, a wacky reload animation, a crazy looking scope, and may not even have any recoil. When the critics can only complain about an imperfect user-interface, we can conclude that the gameplay is as addicting as we all hoped it would be. Its well-deserved popularity certainly earns a nomination for Game of the Year 2012. For fans of the original Borderlands, this is a no-brainer, but for those who are skeptical about the unique gaming experience that Borderlands 2 has to offer, it’s time to come to your senses and get in on the fun that you’ve been missing out on. Expand
  77. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is great, and so much better if you play with friends. Three of us have started from right at the beginning together and it has been just an awesome trip. If you have somehow found yourself bored with this game, you need to get some friends and play together.

You can tell they took some time with the PC version as it works like a dream. Loads fast, plays smooth and feels
    right. I recommend anyone get this. Complaints: Server Side Loot in Co-Op: I recommend not playing with randoms. With everyone seeing the same loot it simply becomes a race to who can get the best loot. Playing with friends helps minimize this, but it can still be an issue making sure everyone is getting good stuff. Hopefully in a future Borderlands they will move to client side loot. Money System: By rank 18 I had purchased all the Eridium upgrades off the black Market. Now I have a ton of Eridium and nothing to spend it on. The only real use for money is to farm in the slot machines. I hope in some DLC they add some creative uses for money (maybe build your own gun shops or gun modification kiosks or something...) Expand
  78. Jul 27, 2013
    As someone who played the first one for nearly 100 hours. I can proudly say I have thoroughly enjoyed the second one racking up over a 100 so far and still playing.

This game improves the weaknesses of the first game and reinforces its strengths. Its graphics and physics are improved, but they still maintain the cartoon-y/ comic book-y style. There is a lot more variation in the amount
    of guns you can come across and a lot of interesting styles of guns. The story is more in depth, although not amazing, but most people don't play Borderlands for the story, they play it for the amazingly addictive game play, which they improved even more. What I really like in Borderlands 2 is there is a bigger variety of characters you can play as, some who are slow paced ranges units, and then the faced paced, up close, Have loads of fun while you get your ass kicked, but at the same time kick ass" style characters.

Overall: If you enjoy blind violence, astronomically huge environments, psychotic characters, and dark humor, this is the game for you.
  79. Jan 24, 2013
    Hilarious writing, great characters, beautiful levels, and sooo many guns! My biggest complaints about Borderlands 1 were the interface issues on PC, and nearly all of those are solved in BL2. The only minor issue I have with BL2 is the inventory management. Bulky, and clunky navigation, but that is only a very minor side note on an otherwise fantastic game! The coop play really makes this game shine! Single player is fun, but playing with friends is what this game was meant for. Expand
  80. Sep 29, 2012
    I love this game. I absolutely love it. It manages to be very new and refreshing, while remaining very familiar. The guns are awesome, they seem to have them balanced well enough to keep each player's preference satisfied. The story is very, very, very good. The old/new character cameos are a revelation. The game is very rewarding, though at some times it can be difficult for certain types of players (i like to TANK with a Rogue, but that's just me). The graphics are very similar to the first Borderlands graphics, but the animations are a lot better B2. Also the AI is a little better, enemies get out of the way of your bullets fast, hide for a long time while simultaneously throwing very well aimed grenades, also i just loved how ,sometimes, low health enemies hide behind full-health Badass Enemies when you're trying to get a second wind, effectively screwing with you. Just a side note, the first couple of levels will seem very difficult to attain and the game may get frustrating sometimes, but you will adapt quickly and the fun will resume. Bravo for Gearbox, i hope they keep this up and give us many more surprises in the future. Expand
  81. Sep 22, 2012
    Игра хорошая, с юмором. Слегка напрягает квесты, но это не главное в игре. В этой игре главное шутерная составляющая, а шутер тут отменный. Советую проходить игру с друзьями, много фана обеспечено. Expand
  82. Sep 27, 2012
    Borderlands 1 was a really well done game it had a ton of fresh new concepts that actually worked out really well. From the guns, the gun combat the character progression the wide open areas and the replay-ability. Not to mention the co-op play although I have always been more of a solo artist sense I have no reliable friends to play with that wouldn't ninja everything purple and up. However it had many flaws much of the original content as far as landscape went was very monotone and felt uninteresting especially after multiple play through I found myself hating some areas very quickly but craving others. In Borderlands 2 this all changes every area is new and interesting and feels like they all have more of a story to tell and more of a history behind them like how they got to that point which in a way makes me thankful some of the original BL1 was someone bleak and basic because that simply was the history of Pandora. On top of that the story line is actually very interesting and has consistent humor all the way through. The guns have also been improved in the aspect that there are now significantly more unique possibilities Another big on is the side quests which in borderlands 1 were simply a means to level and get some more loot but now they are actually quite interesting and all tell stories of their own that help to build up the characters in the game.
    In short I am extremely impressed and have not enjoyed a game this much in a very long time.
  83. Oct 4, 2012
    Yes, I know a 10 sounds impossible - a perfect score you might ask? I'd probably give this game a 9.5 if I could, 9 seems too low. Just fantastic. Did you like Borderlands 1, if yes then you should love Borderlands 2, it has more of everything you liked - the world seems even bigger and the new enemies are great fun. Love this game and have really been enjoying it.
  84. Dec 29, 2012
    Best rpg/shooter ever. 2k took the best parts of BL1 and just hit it home. The guns are more balanced in this installment. Good because there's always a better replacement and bad because there aren't more bank and twink slots. (The shelf life of BL1 guns were far greater.) The game is beautiful both in function and in form in every way. The only gripe I have is the 2D map is sometimes hard to follow. The missions are varied and interesting and multiplayer is a blast. This one's a keeper. Expand
  85. Oct 17, 2013
    Bigger and better than the original game in every possible imaginable way. Not only that but this game has some of the best dialogue and greatest characters ever to appear in a game. Pretty much a must have experience. Now.. I'm off to save up for a pony made of diamonds.
  86. Nov 8, 2012
    I don't know if this game surpasses the first one or if it is the same game with new characters. What I know is that Borderlands 2 is awesome, with lots of secret content, funny dialogues and awesome characters. The characters from the first game appear here, probably more bad-asses than ever.
    Playing a shooter game where there are ways to play it with only melee attacks is awesome.
    AND
    it's a hardcore game that never gets boring. At least for me =D Expand
  87. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't like to give out 10/10, but this game truly had it all. Graphics, while cartoony, were great and stayed with the theme throughout. Gameplay was phenomenal. Tonnes of loot, comedy, story, missions, huge map, fun vehicles, great guns. Multiplayer was well done and is lots of fun when I choose to play it. I have no complaints about this game. Did not purchase DLC as I felt I had done so much already in the original game. Also never played the original, so I had no comparison to the previous one. Expand
  88. Sep 23, 2012
    This game improves in almost every single aspect compared to the last game, which means I would be damned if I not give this a 10/10. I am only level 18 right now but MY GOODNESS I am so impressed at how everything I ever thought would make Borderlands 1 more enjoyable happened to be implemented in this sequel. The menus, as flashy as they seem, are so much better at conveying important statistics about your gear and you can even sort your inventory menu into categories which make your personal gear selection a breeze. The gameplay has improved so much more as well. The enemies now react a lot more intelligently as they are more complex in how they attack and evade you. The animations of your enemies also feels a lot more realistic as they are running around and reacting to being hit in specific body parts. A lot more variety of enemies with unique characteristics keep things feeling fresh.

The narration and story-telling in this game is a lot more immersive and will have you wanting to know what happens next. The NPCs are more interactive and only help with the immersion. I do have some personal turnoffs about this game, the main ones being that the Assault rifles and SMGs feel like they are much weaker and feel a lot more weird to shoot (maybe I havent found the right ones yet or maybe it is because the enemies are now more evasive so it is hard to just spray them like in Borderlands 1 while they just walk towards you in a straight line.) Second turnoff one is that I dont like the scopes they have. It is just a personal dislike I have. I dont enjoy shooting things from the scopes in this game as much as in Borderlands 1.

You cannot have a more fun time shooting guns than this game. Ive never had. There are still 3 characters I havent even played with and I am only level 18 as of right now and yet to play online with people so can you imagine how many different ways there are to enjoy this game to your preference? This is the definition of a fun game
  89. Sep 22, 2012
    This is such a beautiful, crazy, sometimes outright weird and outrageously hilarious game. It's extremely addictive and the loot system is uber awesome. Frankly it's a refinement of an already awesome game (Borderlands) similar to what Fifa 13 is, but the subtle touches and the addition of so many extra features is just superb. It's almost as big or bigger than the first game and is certainly better than it's prequel. I would even go on to say that it's a Diablo killer. All in all it's an awesome package that's definitely worth your money. So go ahead and buy it!! Expand
  90. Nov 25, 2012
    Steam had a sale today so I went ahead and picked this game up for half-price. I was not a fan of the original, but thought I would take a chance as I have grown a bit bored of Diablo 3 and didn't really like Torchlight 2.

So far I am totally impressed. I plan to add more to my review later and possibly adjust the score. As of now, the things that stick out in this game are...

Better visuals than the first game, albeit slightly. With details cranked to maximum Borderlands 2 (a DX9 game) is surprisingly one of the prettiest on the market, thanks in large part to an impressive art-style.

2. Story. Unlike in the first game, players have a very real objective and a very real enemy from the moment the game starts. This is an improvement over the first game, as it's always important to get the player involved early in the story.

3. Gunplay is extremely satisfying. Aiming down the sights, shooting from the hip - however you go about it, the gameplay in Borderlands 2 is very intense and very satisfying. The enemies are tenacious, and are intelligent enough to dodge gunfire and predict your movements.

4. Rewarding. The game rewards the players with a non-stop barrage of usable weapons and loot. This is a refreshing change of pace for someone coming over from Diablo 3.

5. Well optimized. This game is not very demanding and can be played on max settings without being too greedy with system resources. Just about any mid-range machine can play this game to it's fullest potential, and it runs like a dream.

As I said before, I will add more as I play more. But I can already tell that Borderlands 2 is something very special.
  91. Jan 14, 2013
    That game just awesome, chiseled the loot compared bl1, more bazillion guns, 96.5% more wub wub, various missions, creative characters, the old characters from bl1 be present on this game, need more?
  92. Sep 23, 2012
    Awsome, a game that i will be playing for years the amount of content in this game is staggering, luv the pacing and the loot collecting is addictive as hell get this game.
  93. Sep 23, 2012
    When it comes down to it Borderlands 2 is basically a Diablo game built as a FPS. With beautiful graphics and a pretty well done PC port this makes for an addictive combination. If you don't like the repetition of Diablo and Torchlight kinds of games and are only used to CoD type shooters then this isn't for you. But I personally find this game to be a lot of fun!
  94. Nov 25, 2012
    Take Borderlands 1, give it a much bigger budget, a whole new cast of characters, a bigger and better storyline, and even more loot and irreverent jokes, and you have Borderlands 2. This game takes everything I loved about Borderlands 1 and expands on it.
  95. Nov 25, 2012
    There are 2 kinds of games: the games that comes from developers who never played a game and think that realism is the key to a great game, and on the other hand, the games that comes from developers who shoot for awesome and not realism, Borderlands 2 is one of those. If I could describe this game in 3 words, I think I would say something like "no falling damage". Borderlands 2 is a creative game that came from developers who knows what good gameplay is, really cool and addicting game, 9.5/10. Expand
  96. Sep 22, 2012
    This game has delivered everything and more from what you loved from the original. I have not seen a single flaw in the game to date. Currently the most entertaining upgrade is the amount of humor that is portrayed in the new quest givers. Gameplay is smooth and graphics quality is top notch. If you were in love with the original I would suggest picking this up and diving head first in to a loot free fo all Expand
  97. Sep 22, 2012
    Well being a borderlands 1 fan i was definetly going to get this, but i was pretty skeptical cus theres been so much advertising it sounded like they were really desperate. But anyway the game has succeeded in impressing me and improving upon borderlands 1. The enviorments are much less depressing i.e every area isnt one huge scrapyard. There are more weapon designs, explosive pistols, rifles that turn into grenades when reloaded etc and most of them actually look diffrent ie there not just slightly diffrent shades of grey like in borderlands 1. However the game is also incredibly similar to the last, combat is the same but it was good anyway, quests are pretty much the same, just as repetitive as the last but this can be cured by the continuous flow of cool loot. Its also a good game to play with friends. So if you liked the last 1 or like any form of rpg and can cope with the repititve nature later in the game u should like this game. Expand
  98. Sep 22, 2012
    A game with heart and style. The original connected genres and the second does so in an even better way. The humor of this series has always been among it's premier features, but add in a loot fest of "a bazillion" different weapons and upgrades and you can spend hours just seeing all of the different guns you can come up with. As for bugs, the few that are present at release are honestly not not that bad compared to other major releases. Replayability I don't see ending anytime soon with upcoming DLC and the Badass rank system. Definitely worth the purchase price. Expand
  99. Sep 22, 2012
    I never grinded for gear as I played through the game. I would give this a solid 8.5, but leaning towards the 9. If your a fan of the first this game fits the nostalgia perfectly. I played through and beat the game as Zero as a sniper, clocking in about 31 hours of gameplay to beat the game. At first glance Zero and Mordecai seem very similar, but you soon realize that his skill tree is much more intuitive and different enough that you do not feel like you are playing through as the same class. My main criticism is that the game becomes more fun and challenging as you play though. In the beginning the game feels easy, to most boring. In the end game, character leveling choices and skill mods define your character more than the weapons you are using. Instead items are icing on the cake, changing gameplay even further. When I started it was an easy run and gun with a pistol, in the middle I was a long range sniper looking down the scope of my rifle shooting the sweet spots of each enemy; but in the end I was a mid range sniper quickly moving in between cover looking down the iron sights of my favorite sniper rifle scoring those critical shots, while avoiding being sent to the ground by a couple enemy shots. A big flaw in the game is that in the beginning it feels too easy and lack luster in terms of story. However as the game progressed through each chapter, fights became more intense, enemies more varied, in the very end hitting enemy weak points were the difference between life or death. Ammo is another issue as you will frantically search levels looking for ammo of your weapon, making spray and pray a horrible idea, especially towards the end even with increased ammo space, each miss made the fight that much harder, especially if the bullet didn't blow that robots shooting arm off.

The story itself also becomes evolves as more back story is added on to the game, along with plot developments and twists I didn't see coming from a mile away. Slight spoiler the end of the game does not feel empty like the first. The storyline missions are a big driving force in the game, in terms of being fun, along with driving a developing story. Side missions are completely optional, if you do not like the objective it can simply be skipped. Others I felt like playing through for the story and fun of the objective. For example there is an entire option area of the game called lynchwood that became one of my favorites in the game. In terms of difficulty along with providing an interesting tangent to the story. Also giving you one of the most interesting and powerful gun for a couple of chapters.

One big flaw that did not impact my gameplay was the respawn of areas inside the game. Often times I would clear entire areas as I advance to a final objective. When I started to backtrack, some of those areas would have respawns or new encounters. Personally I just ran through the areas, making me wonder why I didn't do that in the first place, then I realized I had fun. At times I would still clear the areas, because the fights were still fun to me. Personally I would of added a spawn to the beginning of an area option for those who just want to turn in a mission without having to deal with those respawns. I enjoyed the get out of dodge that it created. Still this is a big flaw in design, but does not stop me from recommending this game to others or lowering my scoring even further. I rarely beat single player video games, but with borderlands 2, I had a blast, and walked away feeling satisfied.
  100. Sep 23, 2012
    Borderlands 1 concept: kill enemies for loot, use/sell loot to obtain better loot/gear, randomly kill a giant red blob that is not at all hard, then do it all over again with harder enemies (also have a story that is like lore in games, existent, but no one really cares, well maybe a few but not everyone)

Borderlands 2 concept: improve upon everything in Borderlands 1 (although I'm not
    sure if there is a giant red blob thing to fight again since I haven't finished the game yet)

Also if you are mad because day 1 dlc exists, think about it this way: if you go to McDonald's (or Carl's Jr. or BK, wherever you like to eat), and you order a basic hamburger do you really expect to be given free fries and a drink with it?
  101. Jan 12, 2013
    Great game, especially for a console port. I was hesitant to play it on PC initially, but I am happy I did. From the moment you start, until well into a third play through it is non stop action. The weapon variety and constant lure of new and interesting weapons keeps you playing long hours into the night.

My main issue is eventually you are given the ability to fight one or more
    'raid bosses' that require 4 people to play. In a game where you can play all the way through solo, or with just one friend this is disappointing to suddenly have to play with strangers to progress. This is especially hard to do in a game where weapon drops can be picked up by whoever is closest and it is up to them to share or not. This is the only item keeping me from scoring this as a 10. Collapse

It’s addicting, full of creative gags and amazing battles (especially in co-op mode) and it keeps dangling that loot-carrot in front of your face. Add that crazy humor on top and you have a synonymous for the world ‘entertainment’. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    If you're looking for something with a ponderous story full of morality and contemplation – one best savored alone – then you'll need to look elsewhere. Borderlands 2 delivers tons of lighthearted, occasionally juvenile fun with immense replayability, and is best approached with a few buddies in tow. It doesn't revolutionize the concept pioneered by its forebear, but it refines it to a razor-sharp edge and offers some of the most fun you can have in a cooperative action RPG this side of Diablo II. And if nothing else, it's got lots of Claptrap.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    The moment at which my endearingly annoying robot companion Claptrap fashioned himself a Mohawk out of some animal fur I collected he earned a spot on my all-time favorite robot list.