7.8

1. Sep 8, 2011
    This game is a very fun shooter, but with flaws. I'll go over the good first. The combat is entertaining and a touch different than other shooters. You get to tweak your character with different abilities to make unique builds which change how your character plays. The game randomly generates weapons so everything that drops is unique and a possible great find, it keeps you looking for loot. These things make it fun to play and the graphics are done in an art style like animation cells which I really like, it looks superb. The bad things bring it down however. The game scales terribly. As you do quests and gain exp. you will level too fast and quickly become too powerful, tearing through groups of enemies far too easily. A second play through with tougher enemies is possible, but not fun. You will start much higher level than foes and there is no challenge. The game is lacking several graphics controls on the options menu, which is stupid because the devs put the coding for the controls in the files, they just didn't make buttons. You will have to edit the .ini file yourself to turn on things like v-sync and get a widescreen point of view. Very lazy on the devs part there. Instructions for doing this are easy to find and it's not hard to do, but I shouldn't have to. So, overall Borderlands is a fun game that ends up being far too easy to play and has some basic setup options missing, but obtainable with manual editing on the users part. Expand
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    I don't know why I bought this game because i hated the graphics and I only play single player games. But anyway, I gave this game a chance and still hated the graphics and single player mode was a joke.

I know i should not write this review because this game is mainly multiplayer games but lets this review be warning for people who is thinking to buy this game because of the single player mode.
  3. May 6, 2011
    The game consists of circle strafing and utterly boring missions. The co-op is a huge hassle keeping people on the same pace, and god help anyone who decided to play this single player. I just can't see any real +ve to this game - a utter waste of money.
  4. Sep 28, 2012
    Quite possibly one of the most overrated games of all time. I really don't find the entertainment value in this game. Perhaps I am crazy, or it's an issue with today's common gamer. This game is simply boring. There's nothing fun about it. That's a very bold statement, but I stand by it. The game treats you like you're a child with ADHD; there are flashy graphics, constant drops of items and loot, and oh so silly jokes that would keep only those who find shows like Family Guy entertained. The game is an insult to my and, I would hope, most other gamer's intelligence. Yes, there is a lot of loot. And I found myself changing weapons and all my gear so quickly it'd make my head spin. The time I finally got a weapon I enjoyed using, another one would drop which was objectively better. This would happen throughout the game and it would happen multiple times in one hour. This leaves the whole looting system lose it's charm. While some would call it a rewarding system, I would argue it's the exact opposite. While it does make you feel good to upgrade a weapon, it happens so often that it just becomes a pointless mechanic. The game's humor is that on a 13 year old's who first started using curse words in front of his friends. The jokes are just dumb. Literally, just dumb. The multiplayer is just that, multiple people playing the same boring, dull, repetitive, and half-witted game. I am glad I got the game for free, but it's unfortunate I cannot get a refund. What a joke. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2012
    Boring repetitiveness and the graphics absolutely suck. Somebody commented "fantastic art". Lol. Sure, if you never graduated from crayons as an art medium.
  6. Jul 31, 2012
    In 1-Player mode, is an extremely bored and repetitive game after only a few hours of gaming. Surely, it gains a lot of interesting features if played in coo-op mode.
  7. Aug 17, 2012
    Just the worst game I've ever played. BL is an example of anti-game. Not fun. Not entertainment. The idea was great, but in the end is just one more in a million.
  8. Oct 31, 2010
    I can't undestard how you can call it an RPG... not all "experience oriented" games can be deifned as RPG... it's a arcade FPS, nothing else...

Anyway: good graphics, average sounds, very boring and very repetitive gameplay.

I uninstalled the game before reaching the end.
  9. May 26, 2011
    First of all I'd like to point out that I didn't buy this game. It was offered in a bundle with other games, much more entertaining games but still I decided to try it out. The first hour of the game is quite fun, you shoot at stuff, collect guns and ammo, do a few missions and progress through the campaign all the while ignoring the terribly annoying storyline (and characters). Once you get used to this game and actually get some decent gear you start noticing all the bugs and glitches, most notably the hit boxes. The one critical, essential, necessary game mechanic a shoot-em-up game must get flawlessly is the hit registration. You shoot people in the head point blank with a sniper rifle and it misses, you shoot em in the chest point blank and it misses. You goddamn purposefully shoot beside them and it hits... The storyline, characters and cutscenes are dreadfully annoying and also unskippable, therefore you're not playing this game for the plot. The game mechanics are riddled with bugs which render the game almost unplayable, therefore you're not playing this game for its gameplay. This game has terrible graphics, graphics that at first sight reminded me of a f2p game called Drift City(for those familiar), therefore you're not playing this game for the awe factor. A single question remains. Why are you playing this game?

I give it a 3 out of 10 because 1. the game actually was capable of installing itself on my PC. 2. The splash screen pops up when you click the game's icon. 3. The .exe file actually works and the game launches. Otherwise it's worthless.
  10. Jun 13, 2011
    The game is extremely repetitive and has little to offer in story or background. The ending is especially lackluster. The promised huge number of weapons amounts to basically same weapons with some slightly different DPS number on it. This game makes killing hordes of enemies boring. The fact it is considered an RPG makes me extremely sad. I was actually lucky to make multiplayer work and complete it with a friend and we both felt it was an absolute drag. Expand
  11. Jan 17, 2011
    It's obvious that this game was created for consoles. The menu handling on PCs is, to put it politely, braindead. It all makes sense instantly the moment you realize that it was originally meant for consoles.

And the game remains consistent at this.

The loading times between levels is, in one word, stunning. Usually enough time to get a new can of soda, just like you'd expect from a
    console game that needs to load the next level from its DVD. But ... on a PC?

Now, consoles do not have firewalls or other pesky things like this. Hence, Borderlands' multiplayer option refuses to work if you happen to consider security something that you might want on your PC. Only if you turn off every semblance of protection, forward a metric ton of ports and let everything and anything connect freely to your machine, you might be allowed to hope that maybe you could possibly be rewarded with a working multiplayer session.

Ok, I take that 'working' back. It might connect. For how long, well, let's say it will be a surprise for you.

When you finally get to play, it's FUN! For about 10 minutes. Then you notice that, well, you're actually doing the same crap over and over and over and over... and while that was fun for Diablo a decade ago, it kinda got old by now.

It's not even fun as a shooter. This from someone who loves multiplayer shooters and adores the graphics of TF2 (one of the reasons why I bought BL, the graphics sure resemble those of TF2). It just is plainly and simply no fun. And it's not even that the enemies are "only NPCs", I love Left4Dead with a similar "us 4 against 100 enemies, we're soooo unfair!" feel to it. The Borderlands NPCs are just simply terrible. Either they are brain dead zombies (no pun intended) that look at you blankly while you take potshots. Or they have superhuman radar that makes "sneaking" up to them completely pointless since they seem to know just where you are on the map, all the time, whether they can see you or not. Essentially, that reduces the "shooter" element to "fire your gun in the general direction of the enemy, absorb the return fire (no need to duck or anything, it won't change a bit), then go and collect the trinkets. Rinse, repeat.

Tactics? GROUP tactics?

C'mon, it's so obviously a console shooter, you're expecting WAY too much.
  12. Aug 28, 2011
    Boringland could have bin great if it werent so repetitive and bland. I never felt I was in a wasteland, it didnt have that feel to it like STALKER has. What made it unplayable was that you couldnt turn the mics off so we couldnt use teamspeak. And on top off that the ingame sound quality was so bad that we had to plugg out the mics.
    How fun is a co-op game when you cant speak to each
    other? Such a simple feature ruining he hole game and makes it unplayable.
    I would like to give it a higher score but without the possibility to turn of the mics it´s unplayable.
  13. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is a great play with your friends. I really enjoyed it until the last boss fight. The ending is very disappointing. A giant middle finger to the player and the reason I give this a 2. It doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there. This game didn't get there.
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    I do not like this game due to the fact that it's a complete rip off of the Fallout Series created by Bethesda. When I first played it I thought it was a pretty good game, it felt great playing it until I realised I liked this game because it was exactly like Fallout but then I realised of how a true rip off it was, it's terrible compared to Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas! How people call this game a good game? It's a complete rip off and I don't reccommend it to ANYONE but I wouold recommend the Fallout series to ANY gamer. Expand
  15. Dec 3, 2011
    This game was fantastic. The online modes are fun, the game itself is addictive, non linear, and open world (to an extent), and the enemies are fun to fight. All this, and them... boom. It was crippled by the absolute worst ending that I have ever seen in any game, book, movie, TV series... it was an ending that made me visibly mad at the developers. Even though I still had quests I could do, the online modes are still fun, and I could see this game having replay value seeping from all parts, I have not been able to bring myself to play it since I beat it and experienced... that ending... It's worth buying, especially since it goes on sale every month on Steam, but prepare to be more disappointed than you have been with any game you have ever played. Also, some glitches here and there, a couple of story holes, and the fact that shotguns are just random damage generators irked me a little throughout the game, but not too horribly so. Expand
  16. Jan 5, 2013
    Were there something more to this game then just a shooter with arcade-feeling, despite the story lane, the game would probably be really awesome. Just not in it's current state.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    That game is weird, stupid, pointless and looks like "backyard game". Why so good scores? I bought at steam and couldnt play more than 2 hours, really.
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    This was a fun game when I bought it the first time, (well family did so). Then I got my own copy on steam years later and using the same PC and now I have all the DLC unlike before and it just doesn't work. Big fail in my books at least. They claim to have "solutions" on their website and short of flashing my BIOS (Which I don't have issues with) and re-installing windows which I just came from a re-install only two months ago and I haven't added much of anything YET on my PC. I followed everything, but the XP re-install, but if you read the forums for hours on end you'll notice that people try the fixes that don't work for most! This is the ONLY game out of many that I play that, but this is the ONLY has this issues. Well, other games have problems too but they have solutions and not silly rituals. They don't have a solution for this clear problem with random crashing. All the crashing has made me an anti-fan. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game but a terrible company. Well I guess they're good at making money; selling and marketing this software that just doesn't work! So great at making money terrible at programing software! ...however you want to look at it.

Gear box I don't care if you made every game in the world, I'll never buy again!
  20. Jul 15, 2013
    Borderlands is a boring game with the most repetitive gameplay possible. Shoot enemies and collect loot, that's all there is to it.

There is little enemy variety, they only scale in level, so you'll be shooting the same enemies over and over and over in the boring wasteland that is Borderlands. Combat AI is just meh, enemies are pretty stupid and their bad AI is guaranteed to give you a
    disadvantage. Most enemies require little to no strategy for killing them, just shoot them. This game relies so much on leveling that you can't even kill enemies that are 5 levels above you, and what do you do to gain levels? Do missions (or shoot enemies for XP if you feel like torturing yourself for something even slower)

The missions in this game are incredibly pathetic. They're given by some NPCs (AKA quest menus because you can't interact with them at all) and involve going to random places to grab items or shoot more enemies (because you can't get enough of that, right?)
    Just in case you don't feel like doing every single one of these thousand fetch quests, a little annoying robot will message you about them every minute, and it's really freaking annoying.

Plenty of this game revolves around finding better equipment to kill the same enemies that keep increasing in level. The amount of weapons you can find in this game is diminished by the fact that every gun is a recolor with random generated stats. The best word to describe the looting system would be 'bland'.

I don't care much for graphics, but most textures in this game are kind of blurry, even the gun textures that you'll be looking at 24/7.

There aren't many music tracks in this game, but the few you get aren't bad at all. Even the background music you hear all the time doesn't seem to get tiring, for me at least.
  21. Sep 1, 2011
    Borderlands is an FPS in the vein of Serious Sam. Forget the claims that it's an RPG - it's even lighter than Diablo in the RPG department (Gauntlet may be a much better comparison).

There are a number of odd design decisions that are not helpful.

For example, vehicles are mouse and keyboard controlled. I'm more used to keyboard (or wheel) controlled, which means I'm often running into
    rocks and the like.

Saves are checkpoint based, meaning that you're ****** if you're part-way through an area and need to quit to go to work or whatever.

No reason to explore - seriously, why open-world if there's no benefit to exploring?

Lack of fast travel options - I think maybe 25% of my time has been spent on missions, the rest is traveling between locations and fighting through the enemy spawn zones that you travel through every 10 yards or so.

Slot based inventory - come on, a pistol just doesn't take up the same space as a rifle. Weight or area based inventory systems are much superior. It also means I can carry the ammo I want - not what is forced on me.
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is the definition of tedious. You know how they made enemies more difficult? They gave them bullet proof armour, that’s it. They made you click the fire button more at that enemy than at this other enemy. Some people seem to relish all the loot and finding a gun that deals a few extra points of damage, alas I am not one of those people. Especially when the menu system is unchanged from the console version and the mouse handles terribly just like many other half-assed ports. This might be acceptable on a console, but it fails on the PC. 3/10 for some of the humour. Collapse
  23. Dec 23, 2013
    Overall, the game is O.K. if you play it with some friends but otherwise, it's not really worth it. The game play is boring and sometimes annoying. The missions are the exact same, just more stronger enemies in each new mission. The FOV is disgusting and vehicle controls with the keyboard isn't great. The comedy can be funny or mediocre but I never enjoyed. The only thing making me give this a score of 4 than 2 is that it can sometimes be fun playing it with some friends and the music is good. I do recommend Borderlands 2 since it does solve some problems this game has but personally, I would refund this game since it's just sitting in my library but Steam wouldn't do that so yea. Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    For me, this game was extremely dull and repetitive. Played it for 5 hours and then uninstalled.
    Luckily, I got a free copy of Mafia II with it so that purchase wasn't a total waste.
  25. Oct 26, 2014
    Game play is great very fun and a decent improvement from BL2. Maps are entertaining and guns are cooler and more fun, but the story was done horribly. This game is the size of two BL2 add ons. At the end of the game you are left high and dry expecting more action, but instead you are left with a piece of **** cliff hanger. So many questions go unanswered. This game has made be hate the Borderlands series. The series has turned into just another game company that only cares about money, and not if the product they are selling is actually good. this game should be selling for half of its price. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013

It's something action role-playing game fans looking for an experience more up-close and brutal than genre entries of the third-person variety should have a blast with, and one of the more memorable products of 2009.
  2. With tons of weapons to find, a great co-op system, fantastic art, and a whole bunch of exploding bodies, Borderlands is worth your money. Even when I feel that the game is starting to get repetitive, there's something about it that keeps me playing.
  3. I think you'll agree that when you've got guns blazing from four players at once and loot is flying everywhere, Borderlands easily makes up for any perceived shortcomings.