6.0

1. May 31, 2011
    If you liked Enemy Territory, avoid this game.

If you liked Enemy Territory, avoid this game.

I don't know what it wants to be but it certainly isn't working for pub playing. I spent 100s of hours in ET playing pub-only and had so much fun, but every single design decision in Brink seems to try to destroy pub playing. It SEEMS like anything and everything revolves around teamplay. That might be really great for clan players and competitive league gaming but it simply isn't working with 15 strangers on a server.

The problem is if your team is bad, you won't have fun. There is no way to move something as a single player. Why is that? Because the game pretty much keeps you alive as long as possible.

The weapons feel like a joke. If you loved the arcade-y feel of ET, don't play Brink. Unless you have all the powerups there are, command posts and the enemy has nothing, you don't really deal damage. It frequently takes more than a clip to kill someone. There is almost zero chance for you to win a gun fight vs. two people. That means a strong player can't really turn the tide. The guns feel incredibly weak most of the time. The recoil is horrible and random, I don't see how you can adapt to the pattern and get better (even when burst firing, mind you!) over time because there just is no way to predict the crosshair movement. Iron sighting or crouching doesn't seem to really affect the "precision" if you may even call it that.

All explosives are NOT meant to deal deadly blows. The regular nades or molotovs deal damage but it won't kill anyone, they rather get knocked down.

Talking about knockdown. You'd think sneaking up on an enemy and knocking him down gives you an edge but it rarely is. It feels like the enemie's crosshair immediatly jumps to you once you knock him down. Combine that with the low damage and even knocking an enemy down usually comes to a coin flip of who wins. Most of the time it's better to start firing right away.

The classes are mostly fun on their own but thanks to the fantastic design decision of not being able to change characters, you mostly can't adapt to the game. A lvl20 character has barely enough points to cover 2 classes. Another point that destroys pub gaming. In ET I was constantly switching classes to adapt, because it was fun AND helping my team. If you don't have a lvl20 soldier, you still can switch to that class but lack all the skills. No problem in clan play with designated classes, but it breaks pub gaming.

SMART was marketed as being awesome and fresh and stuff like that. In reality, it's boring, clumsy and slow. You won't avoid any battle using SMART moves because the time alone it takes you to pull up somewhere gets you almost killed off. Enemy Territory and almost any other id engine based game had way better trickjumping and it wasn't intentional nor was it marketed as such.

Right now we're on the 3rd (or 4th, I don't remember) patch since release. The game itself was unplayable in its release state and while most of the performance problems have gone, gameplay-wise nothing has really changed.

I could go on and on about the big and small flaws of Brink but my overall point is: This probably isn't the game you want to buy. If you loved Enemy Territory, ET:QW (from what I read, I haven't played it myself) - don't buy Brink, it's frustratingly worse than this simple, free game I used to enjoy.

The future of Brink doesn't look too good. There is a free DLC coming out soon, but at the time of writing, there were only about half a dozen servers with good ping and players on it, early evening. Most of the early adopters have already moved on and I really doubt the situation is going to be better.
  2. May 10, 2011
    Day 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". TheDay 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". The "120,432,530,020" ways to customize your character was obviously a lie (who thought that was true?), it's really just about ten suits you can customize the color of and about 30-40 guns in total that can have parts swapped around on (aka, different sights, magazines, grips, etc) I've played through the first six missions in about... 3 hours, completed all the "challenges" that unlock extra scopes, magazines, all that stuff, and I'm fairly sure that its campaign is made up for 8 maps that get played from both factions perspective based on what side you choose. Slightly confusing at first if you come from FPS games that you can kill someone in one or two bullets - you need about half a clip in this one, maybe it's just because almost every gun is a submachine gun *cough* --- If you've ever played Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (another splashdamage game), you honestly don't need to buy this, ET:QW is far cheaper. BRINK is NOT WORTH 49.99, maybe 20, 30 if you're desperate for something new, not really anything new though... "SMART" system is interesting and annoying at the same time, it's so angle dependent on whether it activates or not that it may get you killed in a split-second-choice situation. It's actual "campaign" really is a copy of ET:QW, it gives you a 20-30 second intro movie for each map, then drops you into the game and tells you to go change to X class, go assault/defend/destroy/hack/whatever Y, rinse & repeat for the entire "campaign". The games AI is generally poor in terms of Support, Combat Effectiveness is lacking, None of them actually complete objectives (none of the AI on your team, that is). After so many horrible FPS releases the past few years, I wanted BRINK to be able to restore some faith in such games. I question if FPS games are even worth having hopes for anymore. Expand
  3. May 10, 2011
    I think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to beI think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to be bothered to make actual textures or a lighting engine". A "smart" button? Can it get me more dumbed and casualized than that? Why even have us hit buttons at all? Just make the whole game autopilot and we can sit back and watch. Bethesda obviously weren't watching Bioware's mistakes with Dragon Age 2, else they would have known that dumbed down "1 button=cool stuff whoa omg!" gameplay does not make for great games. Make no mistake, this game is a piece of hipster trash designed to cash in on the TF2 popularity. It is generic. It is ugly. It is repetitive. It is unfun. Expand
  4. May 10, 2011
    Yawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game designYawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game design mechanics. The game oozes genericness in every way. Not even a rent. Expand
  5. May 30, 2011
    I just signed up to this site JUST so I could Warn/Explain what a terrible game this is. I have never felt so disappointed about a game in my life. It's times like these I wish steam would offer refunds. At $90, it is a high price to pay for an unfinished, clunky FPS that offers nothing new, or extra for the world of gaming. On launch day this game was unplayable. Broken menus, freezing,I just signed up to this site JUST so I could Warn/Explain what a terrible game this is. I have never felt so disappointed about a game in my life. It's times like these I wish steam would offer refunds. At $90, it is a high price to pay for an unfinished, clunky FPS that offers nothing new, or extra for the world of gaming. On launch day this game was unplayable. Broken menus, freezing, save game loss no servers available on-line to play MP.
    But, I gave it a chance, a good 2 - 3 weeks in fact. The game was patched, but it was too late. Most PC players have given up on this game. Even if you find a server, chances are it will be empty or contain only one other person, desperately trying to force themselves to like this game.
    So, why not play single player you ask?
    Single player is simply multiplayer with AI, however. This is the worst AI I have ever seen!! Unless you constantly switch rolls to actually do all the objectives yourself. The AI might as well not even be there. They just wonder around aimlessly, dying. They don't help AT ALL, It makes the single player mode completely pointless and frustrating.
    With titles such as Battle Field (bad company), Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty. All these games listed are half the price, if not cheaper! (Sometimes on special for $8). Why would you bother with such a boring, broken game.
    You want to dress your character up? Go out and buy TF2 and put some hats on him.
    Because what you are spending money on ladies and gentlemen is a $90 dress-up simulator with a terrible FPS attached to it.

You don't want a hardcore competitive game like Call Of Duty, I get that. But go out and spend your money on Team Fortress or Left 4 Dead instead. In fact you could buy both at the cost of Brink.

People rating this game positive either have never experienced a casual FPS outside of this game. Or are convincing themselves they actually enjoy this because it cost them so much money.

Next time, I won't fall for clever marketing.

Brink, more like Stink.
  6. Jun 10, 2011
    Brink started out great fun, but somehow became buggier the more I played. Enemies disappearing, sound entirely not working on some levels. A few patches on and nothing had really improved and last check only 2000 people playing on Steam at peak times. Feels dead right out the gates.
  7. May 16, 2011
    Brink will appeal to a very certain type of PC gamer.

Brink will appeal to a very certain type of PC gamer.

Above all, it will be the type of gamer that cares only about multiplayer, because despite it's claims to provide an 'innovative' mix of single-player, co-op, and multiplayer, BRINK simply reuses the multiplayer maps for single-player and co-op whilst adding bots into the mix. Unfortunately, with crippling AI shortcomings, these bots provide a single player and co-op experience that is frustrating, tedious, but (mercifully) short. The game contains in total 8 maps, less than many budget games, and though these are accompanied by some attractive cutscenes and an interesting premise, they ultimately boil down to charging through one of two choke points to an objective, or defending these chokepoints against the opposing team.

Secondly, it will be the type of gamer that likes the idea of teamwork, but dislikes engaging their brain too much. Teamplay in BRINK is achieved by spamming buffs, rather than careful positioning or depth of strategy. If you do take the risk of engaging your brain for a second, you might be taken aback by how incredibly patronising the game is in its desperate attempts to force you to focus heavily on buff spam - this is a game that literally rewards standing at your spawn buffing freshly spawned players more than running off and single-handedly obliterating the enemy team. Proponents of BRINK might be quick to discount people who are more interested in killing the opposing team as people who don't understand the true value of teamplay; however, when a major objective of said teamplay is to kill the enemy team, the bizarre way in which BRINK rewards the most trivial actions over the most significant ones makes it extremely difficult to identify the good players from the bad.

BRINK is the equivalent of your manager grabbing you by the neck and slapping you in the face repeatedly screaming "BE MORE OF A TEAM PLAYER!". Subtle it certainly isn't in its efforts to get you to stop thinking about the fun of trying to rack up kills, and get back to your key role of pressing "F" and "X". You'll certainly be pressing these keys a lot, because you need to rebuff yourself every time you die (it's not fun in an MMO, and turns out it's even less fun in an FPS). The same goes for your teammates, who'll also need buffing constantly, and the objectives you'll be zerging to stand near and press "F".

So, thirdly, BRINK's appeal is also limited to FPS players who aren't huge fans of, or very good at, the actual running and shooting part. Running is handled by a SMART system which allows you to hold a key to automatically jump/vault as appropriate, eliminating any need to carefully time jumps. Unfortunately, the parkour-based fun that might ensue is limited by the 8 maps that really don't allow the system to shine. Shooting is facilitated by a wide selection of broadly similar weapons, whose killing power is often affected more by the randomness of their huge bullet spread than the actual accuracy or tap-fire ability of the user. Aim is still required, and it would be wrong to suggest there isn't a degree of twitch-based action in BRINK, and I'm sure there are many subtle differences in the weapons, but it's still a game where the outcome of a firefight is mostly down to the number of people you bring to it, rather than their individual skill. A Call of Duty-style XP unlock system allows weapon upgrades and perks to be unlocked, but you'll get through this in about 10 hours of play, so it's yet another way for the developers to continue to hammer in the "TEAMWORK! TEAMWORK!" mantra by forcing you to complete the trivial team actions the XP system so richly rewards.

Finally, BRINK will only appeal to the type of gamer who doesn't own an ATI card or care about 3D Vision support, since neither of these work with BRINK at time of writing. This is another buggy release, less so than the Xbox360 version, but still fraught with issues - a surprise given that this game treads no new ground in its graphics, netcode, or gameplay.

Despite all this negativity, if you fit all these criteria, chances are you will at least like, though perhaps not love, BRINK. It doesn't innovate half as much as the hype might have you believe, but if you loved TF2, you'll find more of the same here. Yet these is one final proviso - BRINK is incredibly overpriced given the omission of true single player or co-op gameplay, and a meagre 8 (similar) multiplayer maps. As a result, Splash and Bethesda deserve poor reviews for pushing out so little content at a premium price tag. At $15 BRINK's peers would be Killing Floor, Section 8, and Breach, and it's comparable to all of these. At $50 it can only be expected to be compared to the big boys of the FPS genre, and it's far from their league.
  8. May 28, 2011
    False marketing of "innovation" and "blending online-offline-single-and-multiplayer" leaves a bad aftertaste.

Unlike what the advertisement promises, there is no campaign or single-player modes; only matches with bots and the "blending" constitutes of showing cutscenes in multi-player and single-player alike. That's it. The game is plagued by connectivity issues and an objective system

The game is plagued by connectivity issues and an objective system that punishes creativity by penalising completing objectives without selecting them first on the objective wheel. Teamwork outside of the predetermined roles is thus punished with an XP penalty; or not given an award at all! Quite a hindrance when levelling is so important in the game.

The game promised to do away with "one-shot-kills" and endless camping, but dying from one or five shots within a 1.5 second timeframe makes no difference at all. Camping remains the most solid tactic, in particular since escort missions of very slow moving objectives are so common.

You have to specialise in a class to be effective, and that completely negates the idea of being able to change classes on the fly. You loose a level by respeccing, which is a terrible price to pay and not at all worth it if your into competitive play. At the higher levels, they take a very long time to regain.

The weapons lack tangible differentiation, despite behaving quite differently. Another issue is that you can only decide what weapon suits you by trying them all. Some are utterly useless, while others are similar enough to each other that it simply becomes a matter of preference. Then there are a few that seem to be entirely predominant online; those with highest damage and stability scores.

The system of unlocks is tedious and punishes new players. You have to unlock necessary upgrades to be competetive by completing tedious and often outright boring Challenges; particularly egregious since you have to complete each of the four missions TWICE in order to attain those important ammo and scope upgrades. They also more or less have to be completed on early levels, since attempting them online will quickly prove frustrating and the difficulty is such at higher levels that the tedium becomes too much to bear. Starting a new character is because of all this a very unattractive prospect.

The server browser is absolutely horrible, with no way of discerning what rules the match you are entering has if it doesn't conform to some limited preset of rules; a clear majority of servers are simply listed as "custom", which can mean just about anything. Are you going up against rank 5 (the most advanced skills) specialists that will pwn you over and over unless you have a solid team, is friendly fire on or off, and so on. Coupled with the incessant disconnects, despite rock solid performance in every other game I play, that sometimes gives you marginal XP and sometimes none at all, this provides a frustrating and quickly tiring online experience. As a team based multiplayer shooter, it is average; not as punishing as Counter-Strike, but neither as rewarding, not as difficult to learn as Team Fortress 2, but neither as dynamic.

The SMART system works as a cool replacement for rocket-jumping and the likes, but the utility of the Light body type that can do wall jumps and more advanced manoeuvres is very much in doubt. The levels have a only few places where the Light type can pull off some cool stunts, but the only real gain is that you arrive faster at your destination by using those shortcuts; most often that means leaving your team behind and thus a quick death when you arrive at the enemy camp. Had the servers supported more than 8 players on each team, perhaps a strike team of Lights could do something useful, but as it stands those slots are needed for the core team to be able to complete objectives. All in all, I found Brink to be worth about 20hrs of gameplay, after which it became stale and restrictive. For a multiplayer shooter, that's appallingly short in terms of longevity.

Releasing an unplayable game is also not acceptable, which was the state the game was in when my pre-order copy arrived. That's why it gets a '4' and not the '5' I would rate it as in its current state.
  9. May 23, 2011
    Just terrible. Boring game if i wanted to play team fortress 2 then ill just play team fortress 2! Sure the sliding is cool but the game just lacks any fun imo.
  10. May 24, 2011
    Come on brothers, lets do this! First thing I do as a XP addict is watch the tutorial that tells me to hold tab to see and choose objectives.
    I start the campaign and immediately I get all confused about wtf to do. I hold tab.....i see no objectives. i hold tab again. no objectives instead I see a nice scoreboard. WTF do i want a scoreboard for in SINGLEPLAYER???? i don't care about the bots stats!!!!! I do care about the new SMART system though. Good idea if your maps where up4 the challenge. And omg the goddamn medics running around throwing syringes everwhere geezeez I just emptied 2 full mags in his head and all it takes for him to ress is 2 secs? srsly I have now uninstalled and when this is done im returning this piece of donkey **** they chose to call a game :) have nice day- witcher2 plz dont suck this bad!!! plz
  11. May 19, 2011
    The depth of my disappointment with the game cannot be overstated, but neither can its flaws.

The primary issues are ones that relate to the elemental parts of a good FPS game. In these ways, Brink scores below average when compared to the benchmarks across the FPS pantheon (Planetside, Quake 2, Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2142 and BC2, TF2). Weapon Balance: Poor. There are two runaway

Weapon Balance: Poor. There are two runaway favorites - the CARB SMG and the Revolver. Because their accuracy, operating range and damage are only barely worse than the next tiers of weapons (and because combat happens at close range most of the time), these two guns are the most common seen and the most effective. There are no appreciable advantages to the Assault Rifles or Heavy weapons. The rest of the SMGs are, simply put, worse than the CARB. Don't bother. Class Balance: If some maps didn't require Operatives and Soldiers then you'd never seen them. Medic and Engineer are very well rounded and their buffing abilities outshine whatever skills the other two classes have. This, keep in mind, with the Engineer's turrets almost entirely crippled by incredibly slow target acquisition. The body types are visual candy at best; the differences in health are negligible in firefights, leading more to choose the Light type due to its mobility. Note that the Light can use both of the superior weapons above. The twitchiness of aiming and movement make it possible to tank damage simply by moving quickly.

Map Design: Consider that one map has no sound, another glitches all player models into invisibility and a third can have one team's spawn locked down within 30 seconds and you'll see why the map design is disappointing. There are no CTF or Capture Point modes (near-requirements in the FPS space), instead relying on repeated objective-based tasks governed by timers and checkpoints. These are poorly balanced, with the defending team almost always at an advantage. Controls and Movement: Possibly the worst part of the gameplay. Yes, you can jump over barricades and slide into corners, but your character will also get tripped up on ground debris (breaking sprint - argh!), twitch uncontrollably when up against cover and mercilessly hesitate when transitioning between postures, aiming and sprinting. The complete lack of polish in control ruins the authenticity of the gameplay and makes you feel more like a ghoul clumsily floating over the landscape, occasionally snagging your pants, rather than a mongoose-like soldier weaving your way through a battle.

There are too many controls given what you can actually do with them. For example, two keys are required to deploy your base ability - one for self-use and one for other-use. In a game where you can express intent by aiming your crosshairs, you simply don't need two buttons. Press the key - are you looking at something? Act on that. No? Act on yourself. Brink is only vaguely molded and not-at-all polished. There's probably a good game lurking somewhere in the design documents, but the just-barely-thought-out customization and gameplay design choices all smack of trying to do too much. What concerns me most are the issues at the core levels of gameplay, specifically movement, ballistics and game modes. These are hard things to resolve with patches, yet the game desperately needs help in those areas and more. It's hard to walk away from the glitz of different colored shirts and a few parkour moves, but I recommend you do. Check back in a year - if there are still people on the already-near-empty servers, the price has fallen and the game cleaned is cleaned up in the ways that matter then, well, you might be in for a treat. Apologists will predictably quip, "I'm having a ton of fun; if you don't like it then don't play it" and "You just don't understand what kind of game it is; go back to CoD." To which I reply, "Just because you think it's fun does not mean it's good."
  12. May 17, 2011
    This game is not at all fun. There is nothing to do, all the mission are quite same and other then killing a bunch of soldiers there nothing else. i enjoyed the character creation more than the mission. i think the only good and different thing in this game is the character creation, other than that this game is useless and quite boring. i just started playing this game and after a coupleThis game is not at all fun. There is nothing to do, all the mission are quite same and other then killing a bunch of soldiers there nothing else. i enjoyed the character creation more than the mission. i think the only good and different thing in this game is the character creation, other than that this game is useless and quite boring. i just started playing this game and after a couple of minutes i bored. I think they could have really made is game much better. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2011
    The narrow corridors and choke-points completely ruin this game. Just sitting there buffing each other, getting off a few shots at the enemy, but don't really hurt him. 5 clips later you down an enemy then you get downed, the enemy gets revived, then you get revived. Repeat. That's the whole game in a nutshell.
  14. Jun 23, 2011
    Releasing an unfinished game, too many bugs, bad ping from one player can cause the whole team to lag. Not even close to being good enough for competitive play. Wasted 50â
  15. May 11, 2011
    Not impressed at all. Terrible performance issues with ATI card users make the game almost unplayable. Also, several common resolutions aren't even supported. The graphics are pretty good but more importantly, the gameplay is nothing special and gets old quick. The character customization is fun in the menu but in-game, its useless as it's an first-person shooter and you rarely seeNot impressed at all. Terrible performance issues with ATI card users make the game almost unplayable. Also, several common resolutions aren't even supported. The graphics are pretty good but more importantly, the gameplay is nothing special and gets old quick. The character customization is fun in the menu but in-game, its useless as it's an first-person shooter and you rarely see your own character. I would not recommend this game in the slightest. Thorough disappointment. Expand
  16. May 29, 2011
    Joined purely to write up that Brink is rubbish... Splash Damage should have waited till it at least tested properly before releasing this game. Anyone one who buys this should not expect to be able to play MP as the servers are mostly empty now due to many people giving up already - patches are too late and obviously they never worked with the GPU manufactures as even a high end cardJoined purely to write up that Brink is rubbish... Splash Damage should have waited till it at least tested properly before releasing this game. Anyone one who buys this should not expect to be able to play MP as the servers are mostly empty now due to many people giving up already - patches are too late and obviously they never worked with the GPU manufactures as even a high end card runs relatively poorly. The team play is forced as you spend so much time buffing instead of shooting and capturing objectives. Having side objects doesn't work IMHO as you seem to need to cap the main obj and its done. Killing an opponent does takes an amazing about of ammo so you constantly have to be buffed with ammo - lame! I can see how the selection of characters appeals to the barbie set (people how like to play dress-ups with dolls). I suggest that perhaps less time should have been spent on that side of the game and more on testing. Expand
  17. May 15, 2011
    I keep waiting them to patch this game, the fun seems to be broken. I keep trying and trying to get the fun working correctly, but it is just not fun. Aside from that I am getting very tired of game crashing every 15mins and randomly deleting my save games. I would very much like my $50 back. If the price ever falls to the $15 range it might be worth it. Overall I give this game a big fat fail...
  18. Jun 11, 2011
    Terrible. Worst game purchase I've ever made. I've played for 2 hours and can't muster any interest to play for any longer. There are so many flaws I can't even list them. But that all said, this is a love or hate game and I can see how certain gamers would love it. But I hated it :)
  19. Jun 27, 2011
    How do i get my money back ?

Ouch..... i feel like i was scammed into this game by a dumb friend ... ewww

graphics might of been okay but the game play was boring and felt like it had all been done before.
  20. May 30, 2011
    Brink is an exercise in how not to release a game. PC Gamers have waited through a year of delays only to be greeted with weapon and class imbalance, poor tutorials, shoddy AI, and unclear objectives. Game-breaking technical issues kept the game unplayable on literally half the systems trying to run it for the first few weeks. Those who were unfortunate enough to put down money to buy thisBrink is an exercise in how not to release a game. PC Gamers have waited through a year of delays only to be greeted with weapon and class imbalance, poor tutorials, shoddy AI, and unclear objectives. Game-breaking technical issues kept the game unplayable on literally half the systems trying to run it for the first few weeks. Those who were unfortunate enough to put down money to buy this game at launch have been frantically trying to defend it and justify the gameplay since they're stuck with it, but this is a game that would have been returned to stores in mass quantities if most major retailers were still offering refunds on open merchandise.

On the upside, the game has a slick design and very distinctive art style, which will please most people from afar for quite some time as it sits in the bargain bin this holiday season after the community abandons it to play better shooters.
  21. Jun 1, 2011
    I had high hopes for this game to turn out to be something great. The idea was there, and the hype behind it had me quenching for more. During the first couple of hours in game play however I was sorely disappointed. The movement in the game feels rather clunky, which is something I didn't expect watching the movement system in action in their videos. The guns don't feel unique much atI had high hopes for this game to turn out to be something great. The idea was there, and the hype behind it had me quenching for more. During the first couple of hours in game play however I was sorely disappointed. The movement in the game feels rather clunky, which is something I didn't expect watching the movement system in action in their videos. The guns don't feel unique much at all. They're all pretty much Sub-Machine Guns and using anything other than that is just masochism. I was also quite disappointed with the customization of the character, though it wasn't too bad. I was a bit saddened by the simple fact that you couldn't make the face how you wanted it, you had an option between about 9 and it ultimately decided between those 9 what race you were. Sure you could change the tones, but only to a more tan/pale white guy, or a dark/caramel black guy. Overall I was very displeased. Those that say this game is 'just like' Team Fortress 2, have never played Team Fortress 2 (I'm sad TF2 sold out though..) Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2011
    The developers of Brink, Splash Damage - have tried to create a game in which rewards teamwork, selfless play, and co-ordination. Social class actions like handing out ammo, buffing a team-mates health and increasing players weapon damage are ways in which players can ensure their team-mates have an advantage in combat. To further accentuate team-play, Splash Damage have put a clamp onThe developers of Brink, Splash Damage - have tried to create a game in which rewards teamwork, selfless play, and co-ordination. Social class actions like handing out ammo, buffing a team-mates health and increasing players weapon damage are ways in which players can ensure their team-mates have an advantage in combat. To further accentuate team-play, Splash Damage have put a clamp on all the skill based aspects of shooters in Brink. What this essentially means is that as a player, you cannot shoot your way out of trouble.. You cannot carry your team with Kobe Bryant like shooting skills, because if there was room for skill-full play - there would not be any reliance on team-mates. So how have they lowered skill ceiling? They have introduced ridiculous spread and recoil values to all their weapons. Each weapon's clip is reduced to the point where there is only enough ammo for killing one player at full health. On top of that, as mentioned in the first paragraph - if a player has a weapon damage buff and you dont - the player with the buff is likely to come out on top. As a result of the design, combat becomes an insipid part of this shooter.

To conclude - Brink is a lovely game in theory, however in practice when the rose coloured glasses are taken off, its clear that it fails to deliver.
  23. Jun 25, 2011
    Single player is essentially nonexistent. The only single player are essentially bot matches, but they also do a good job of portraying the story even when you're playing multiplayer. I generally play FPS for the multiplayer aspect anyway. Brink isn't very special. While I'm glad that it's an objective-based team game, many times it feels like there's nothing that you can do to helpSingle player is essentially nonexistent. The only single player are essentially bot matches, but they also do a good job of portraying the story even when you're playing multiplayer. I generally play FPS for the multiplayer aspect anyway. Brink isn't very special. While I'm glad that it's an objective-based team game, many times it feels like there's nothing that you can do to help your team win and stalemates often turn into team deathmatch (without kills being worth anything). I bought this game on a whim and I regret spending every penny. It's not a horrid game by any means, but it doesn't refresh the FPS genre like it claims to. The character editing is pretty cool I guess, but has no real effect on gameplay and is simply an aesthetic ploy for your money. Expand
  24. Aug 4, 2011
    Well, lets begin with the good things.
    The character creation is just fantastic, beautiful.
    And that was the good point. So the bad points are: Classes:You don't have a specific class, ok, somewhere you have, but it are always the same weapons! and the i have a stupid blue screen EVERYTIME i play online. Even many times offline. I don't know or it was becouse i played BRINK in the
    Well, lets begin with the good things.
    The character creation is just fantastic, beautiful.
    And that was the good point.
    So the bad points are:
    and the i have a stupid blue screen EVERYTIME i play online.
    Even many times offline.
    I don't know or it was becouse i played BRINK in the free weekend of steam.
    But in my eyes, this game is one of the most worthless games i've ever played.
  25. May 14, 2011
    After playing Brink non-stop I'm starting to feel disappointed mostly on the terrible map design. The AI is like something of a joke and the overall feeling you get when playing a really good game isnâ
  26. May 17, 2011
    The premise of a waterworld with bothers is certainly an enticing idea and certainly had me interested. Once immersed the game play I quickly realized that the staying power would be short lived. Personally I love precision shooting with high twitch elements. I do genuinely think some people will enjoy the game immensely. Especially once a patch fixes some of its graphical glitches.

I

I think in terms of overall gameplay, TF2 is a better game over Brink.
  27. MB_
    May 16, 2011
    Bugged to high heaven and when you finally get the game working, and configured correctly it's still not worth playing. It's like a dumbed down, closed in and awkward little brother of Quake Wars and I tired of that years ago.

Basically it's team death match only. Really. So if you don't have seven dedicated players who are good communicators you are going to have a miserable time in the

Basically it's team death match only. Really.

So if you don't have seven dedicated players who are good communicators you are going to have a miserable time in the long run. Even if you do, you have to enjoy slow constrained movement, tiny maps and the same tired missions you've been playing since original Counterstrike.

With the trailers I was expecting a story, but frankly there isn't one, theres a setting but its just a backdrop for tired old missions being re-run yet again.

Try before you buy, or rather, try and don't bother buying.
  28. May 13, 2011
    Great potential, but i don't know what's happened with the engine - there must be something gone horribly wrong. I like the multiplayer aspect with buffing mates, missions, storyline in multiplayer wich grants more xp than just killing stuff. The character class customization options are very good, the range of possible speccs makes this game a long-term fun. Many Weapons, "perks", (IMHO)Great potential, but i don't know what's happened with the engine - there must be something gone horribly wrong. I like the multiplayer aspect with buffing mates, missions, storyline in multiplayer wich grants more xp than just killing stuff. The character class customization options are very good, the range of possible speccs makes this game a long-term fun. Many Weapons, "perks", (IMHO) good balanced maps, graphics with a unique atmosphere, well made interface for multiplayer action.
    But back to the Engine. All drivers up2date, gtx580 and i7 980x - and it's stuttering like hell. The FPS are good but every second it feels like it's freezing. Laggy as hell, too, but not as bad as PS3 and XBOX360 Players are reporting.

For me it's definitely not playable, i hope there is a patch very soon. Don't buy it before someone reports the bugs as fixed. Save money and many frustrating minutes.
  29. May 22, 2011
    From Steam: Brink's advanced player customization offers a near-endless combination of looks for your character (unless you are a woman) â
  30. May 13, 2011
    I had to wait several days before I felt I could give this game a fair review. The reason for this was due to the very large amount of hype Bethesda and Splash Damage attached to this game to the extent that in Brink's facebook page they heavily exaggerated the amount of interest in Brink at PAX East (I was there, which is why I know they weren't telling the truth) and the large fanboyI had to wait several days before I felt I could give this game a fair review. The reason for this was due to the very large amount of hype Bethesda and Splash Damage attached to this game to the extent that in Brink's facebook page they heavily exaggerated the amount of interest in Brink at PAX East (I was there, which is why I know they weren't telling the truth) and the large fanboy following which is evident in many of the games positive reviews on here (the wording of the reviews, not the fact that they have positive reviews). The simple truth about this game is that even if you put aside the fact that there are serious lag and connection issues in multiplayer the game itself is barely mediocre and frankly wouldn't be one of the top games if it were released in 2004 let alone 2011. The ID tech4 engine (which was released in 2004) looks abysmally outdated even despite the changes they made to it for this game. The developers highly touted use of parkour for traversing terrain using their SMART (Smooth Movement Around Random Terrain) system would be an imaginative addition if the maps weren't so bland and simple. The weapons feel like blunt instruments not precision ballistics and the nades are an absolute joke, their trajectory doesn't look remotely bound by any rules of physics and the explosions are laughably bad. The plot and voice acting for the single players game and the multiplayers characters feels like something from a cheesy low budget 80s sci-fi movie. In multiplayer there are lag issues and issues where every player on a server will lose sound all at once (happens on multiple servers). I could go on but there's no need for me to completely bury this game. Without the multiplayer problems this game is no better than a 4, with those issues this game is a 2 but I'll give it a 3 under the assumption that future updates will fix the multiplayer bugs. A highly disappointing game. Expand
  31. May 10, 2011
    The game had tons of potential. You can see the free-running of Mirror's Edge, the class system of Team Fortress 2, the unlock system of Modern Warfare, and the gameplay of Killzone 2. Sadly, Bethesda has not fully utilized what they had. The juxtaposition of these elements is harsh and it just doesn't come together well. The game feels like it really belongs on a console and was ported toThe game had tons of potential. You can see the free-running of Mirror's Edge, the class system of Team Fortress 2, the unlock system of Modern Warfare, and the gameplay of Killzone 2. Sadly, Bethesda has not fully utilized what they had. The juxtaposition of these elements is harsh and it just doesn't come together well. The game feels like it really belongs on a console and was ported to the PC as an afterthought. It even keeps the tutorial videos from the console version of the game. That being said, it still feels rushed over. The AI is mindless; the only thing that makes it difficult is the never ending spawning which supposedly is to make it feel more balanced. The campaign feels like there was no care in telling the story of the Arc which really disappointed me (especially when it comes from a company like Bethesda). It is a game that looks like it has plenty of potential and just never got completed. I would hope that Bethesda would become Valve-esque and release updates to make this game better, but I highly doubt that they will.
    It has it's redeeming features, such as the customization and the parkour, but that does not make up for it's flaws. It is a purchase that I regret.
    It doesn't feel completed. The campaign is laughable. It feels like it doesn't belong on PC.

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]