6.1

1. May 10, 2011
    What can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fit the bill. What you have here is a team based game. Maps are driven by objectives instead of kills and each person is vital in some way to the success of the team. Add in fast movements and actual gunfights that don't end from a single bullet and you start to see what Brink offers. Definitely a great buy for me. Expand
  2. May 10, 2011
    I played it. It's not as good as I hoped (the objectives are stupid--just walk up and hold down a button). But honestly COD has some REALLY STUPID stuff about it too. Like AIRSTRIKES in FPS Multiplayer! You don't put AIRSTRIKES in a competitive MP FPS game--it's not competitive FPS-wise. Brink reminds me of team fortress 2--i have not played tf2 but I saw a bit of video.
    I like Brink. I've
    only played single player offline. The computer is not that smart, but it's playable. I'd give it a 8/10 for now. If the graphics gets fixed to high-end PC standards, I'd give it an 9/10. Offline. I have not tried online yet.
    Really, the graphics look dated in actual gameplay. I already know PC will rule in graphics unless there is some kind of bug keeping the 360 from showing the graphics properly. Brink is supposed to have superb graphics and so for I only see that in the gun selection screen. Blame the limited 360 or a bug,--if it is a bug. Sad. Graphics affect the 'feel' of a game. It's all about sight and sound.
    The levels don't have as much verticality as I thought they would. It feels like BC2 but you can climb stuff. And yes, you do get stuck where you have to jump over things or climb a certain way. Not as in a glitch. As in, you cannot climb a corner-ledge in this one level. To climb you have to be facing head-on. As a medium or heavy you cannot run very fast. Feels like BC2 in the walking/running. A light weight can run a bit faster and climb better. You can run fast enough to escape, but not as fast as a 'parkour' or 'freerunning' game would inspire.
    Some of the guns don't feel 'heavy'. There really is no recoil except for sniper rifles. There is bullet spread. I see Brink as a game a certain group of people will enjoy--like the group that plays TF2. If it works online without the recently mentioned lag it will be decent (if they fix the graphics). It's just not what it was said to be. The levels often have small choke points! They should feel huge! I am ready for Next-gen gaming. Maybe I'll build a new PC...
  3. May 31, 2011
    If you liked Enemy Territory, avoid this game.

I don't know what it wants to be but it certainly isn't working for pub playing. I spent 100s of hours in ET playing pub-only and had so much fun, but every single design decision in Brink seems to try to destroy pub playing. It SEEMS like anything and everything revolves around teamplay. That might be really great for clan players and
    competitive league gaming but it simply isn't working with 15 strangers on a server.

The problem is if your team is bad, you won't have fun. There is no way to move something as a single player. Why is that? Because the game pretty much keeps you alive as long as possible.

The weapons feel like a joke. If you loved the arcade-y feel of ET, don't play Brink. Unless you have all the powerups there are, command posts and the enemy has nothing, you don't really deal damage. It frequently takes more than a clip to kill someone. There is almost zero chance for you to win a gun fight vs. two people. That means a strong player can't really turn the tide. The guns feel incredibly weak most of the time. The recoil is horrible and random, I don't see how you can adapt to the pattern and get better (even when burst firing, mind you!) over time because there just is no way to predict the crosshair movement. Iron sighting or crouching doesn't seem to really affect the "precision" if you may even call it that.

All explosives are NOT meant to deal deadly blows. The regular nades or molotovs deal damage but it won't kill anyone, they rather get knocked down.

Talking about knockdown. You'd think sneaking up on an enemy and knocking him down gives you an edge but it rarely is. It feels like the enemie's crosshair immediatly jumps to you once you knock him down. Combine that with the low damage and even knocking an enemy down usually comes to a coin flip of who wins. Most of the time it's better to start firing right away.

The classes are mostly fun on their own but thanks to the fantastic design decision of not being able to change characters, you mostly can't adapt to the game. A lvl20 character has barely enough points to cover 2 classes. Another point that destroys pub gaming. In ET I was constantly switching classes to adapt, because it was fun AND helping my team. If you don't have a lvl20 soldier, you still can switch to that class but lack all the skills. No problem in clan play with designated classes, but it breaks pub gaming.

SMART was marketed as being awesome and fresh and stuff like that. In reality, it's boring, clumsy and slow. You won't avoid any battle using SMART moves because the time alone it takes you to pull up somewhere gets you almost killed off. Enemy Territory and almost any other id engine based game had way better trickjumping and it wasn't intentional nor was it marketed as such.

Right now we're on the 3rd (or 4th, I don't remember) patch since release. The game itself was unplayable in its release state and while most of the performance problems have gone, gameplay-wise nothing has really changed.

I could go on and on about the big and small flaws of Brink but my overall point is: This probably isn't the game you want to buy. If you loved Enemy Territory, ET:QW (from what I read, I haven't played it myself) - don't buy Brink, it's frustratingly worse than this simple, free game I used to enjoy.

The future of Brink doesn't look too good. There is a free DLC coming out soon, but at the time of writing, there were only about half a dozen servers with good ping and players on it, early evening. Most of the early adopters have already moved on and I really doubt the situation is going to be better.
  4. May 11, 2011
    Brink has a lot of potential, but has not even come close to matching it yet. I'll list a few points that you should really consider before buying it.

The Bad:
    -ATI Support, you WILL not experience good framerates with an ATI card unless you have very old drivers, my 5850 plays this game brutally even on low graphics
    -There is a known glitch right now that sound cuts out, thats right, you
    will have NO sound. The only way to fix it is to leave the server. This affects everyone FYI
    -Lag: Incredible amount of lag right now, to the point you will very frustrated
    -Server selection: There's a filtering system that really doesn't work, so you see EVERY server
    -No pre-game lobbies, you join a server and thats it
    -No real good way to join a group of buddies and join the same team for a server
    -Graphics, they look muddled, not great
    -Movement is sluggish and even glitchy at times
    -IMO heavy guns are underpowered, I don't see heavy classes played very often due to this.
    -Engineer/Medic are going to be far more played than Soldier, and WAY more than the Op (which really sucks imo)
    -Virtually no in-game stats, at the end of a match you don't even know how well you technically did beyond points and "awards"

The Good:
    -Plenty of guns, plenty of different attachments for most guns
    -Lots of different combinations for customization, so your guy can look relatively different
    -Teamplay focused game

It has lots of potential, but honestly I may be waiting until they patch this sorry excuse for an online game. The bugs are literally so bad that I get annoyed after playing for a few hours. I have about 10 hours invested into the game thus far.
  5. May 10, 2011
    It's not a perfect game, but hey not all games are perfect. The one thing I have the most hate for is the AI, and how derpy it is. I play on the highest setting and it still doesn't increase how smart they are or not.

For gameplay, I love TF2, which made me love this game all the more. Objective based games are probably my favorite. The one thing that I didn't really like is there was
    no post-game score. I am curious how I did in the game, but I don't want to keep pressing "tab" to see my score, I won't remember to do it after every game. Sure it's a bit buggy, but the game JUST came out, it'll get it's fair share of patches (Hopefully fix the derpy AI) but I believe this game is pretty good for my tastes. Expand
  6. May 10, 2011
    Spoiler:--"Brink=>Multiplayer":--Spoiler. Think that those who are disappointed with Single Player mode of the game didn't watch a single one of the 1,214,634,372 Brink videos before the game's published. Also i know that they believe Black Ops is a better game than the Bad Company 2 because that the BC2 has a rubbish Single Player mode. What a pathetic group of people.
  7. May 10, 2011
    Day 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". The "120,432,530,020" ways to customize your character was obviously a lie (who thought that was true?), it's really just about ten suits you can customize the color of and about 30-40 guns in total that can have parts swapped around on (aka, different sights, magazines, grips, etc) I've played through the first six missions in about... 3 hours, completed all the "challenges" that unlock extra scopes, magazines, all that stuff, and I'm fairly sure that its campaign is made up for 8 maps that get played from both factions perspective based on what side you choose. Slightly confusing at first if you come from FPS games that you can kill someone in one or two bullets - you need about half a clip in this one, maybe it's just because almost every gun is a submachine gun *cough* --- If you've ever played Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (another splashdamage game), you honestly don't need to buy this, ET:QW is far cheaper. BRINK is NOT WORTH 49.99, maybe 20, 30 if you're desperate for something new, not really anything new though... "SMART" system is interesting and annoying at the same time, it's so angle dependent on whether it activates or not that it may get you killed in a split-second-choice situation. It's actual "campaign" really is a copy of ET:QW, it gives you a 20-30 second intro movie for each map, then drops you into the game and tells you to go change to X class, go assault/defend/destroy/hack/whatever Y, rinse & repeat for the entire "campaign". The games AI is generally poor in terms of Support, Combat Effectiveness is lacking, None of them actually complete objectives (none of the AI on your team, that is). After so many horrible FPS releases the past few years, I wanted BRINK to be able to restore some faith in such games. I question if FPS games are even worth having hopes for anymore. Expand
  8. May 10, 2011
    This is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, all the other games start to copy its style. This is not the case for BRINK. No more TDM, no more one hit kills, replaced by team-based objective mode. In this game, skill of the player is not the paramount, but how the players work together for greater good. It Expand
  9. May 10, 2011
    All in all, I have to say I like it. The graphics are well done, the sound is spot on, the controls arn't horrible, and the gameplay is top notch. That being said, there are quite a few bugs that need to be worked out before I give it a 10. Sometimes sound will cease to work, sometimes there are graphical issues and freezing on menus. Also, there seems to be a bit more optimization on the 3d rendering code as Brink requires a top cost, hardcore, machine. Expect to be playing on default graphics settings until they work this out. My recommendation is buy this if you are chomping at the bit for a new FPS. If you arn't, I would wait until some of the kinks are worked out. Expand
  10. May 10, 2011
    Brink is one of the best games I've ever played. The game has bits of some of the best games in the world and It's very own uniqueness such as the SMART system and the ability to create your own unique character
  11. May 10, 2011
    Awesome game. Great artwork, smooth gameplay, focus on teamplay, SMART rocks... i really love it. I don't care that the KI is not that good or that there is no real singleplayer. This game has its focus on multiplayer/teamwork and that part is just brilliant.
  12. May 10, 2011
    Like all new games, Brink has it's share of problems. However, most of these are already being worked on to be resolved. But we're not here to discuss the release bugs; we're here to talk about the game itself.

If you're looking for an experience similar to Call of Duty? This game will disappoint. If you're not a completely retarded fanboy, who loves team-based multiplayer mayhem, then
    Brink is most certainly a game you should be looking at getting.

The game play is solid as a rock. You're not going to become a 1-man army, as there are rarely any one shot kills, and certain objectives which must be completed to win a map can only be done by certain classes. No more planting or defusing bombs as a medic, like you see in Battlefield. Accomplishing goals can only be done through good team work, as does destroying your opponents, as the more fire you have on a target, the faster it goes down.

Splash Damage has even found a way to make an assist system that doesn't completely suck balls. Every other game with an assist system, requires you get past a certain damage threshold before you can be acknowledged for an assist, and ends up giving you less if you're not the one to finish the guy off. In Brink, all damage to enemies gains XP proportionally. If you do 75% of the damage to a guy, and one of your team mates does the other 25%, you, having done the most damage, get the most XP from it.

The game highly encourages team play, because as I have said, it is very much required. Say your team doesn't have any operatives, but you need to hack a console to proceed. You won't be needing to shout at your team mates to switch classes just to get **** down, since your objective wheel will give you an objective to change class, granting you XP when you do, making it a great incentive to change to a different class, even if it is your least favorite.

Everything in combat feels fluid and dynamic. You can jump, sprint, slide, climb, run on walls... And all while still being able to shoot your gun while performing any of these actions. It adds a lot to the depth of the game. Running across an open room and getting tore up? Just slide behind some cover. Sprinting down a hallway and run smack dab into a group of the enemy? Slide into them and knock 'em over like a bunch of bowling pins, then massacre them with SMG fire to their ugly faces. Enemy sniping you from behind cover? Toss a frag in there and knock him out of it, then give him a double tap to his nuts.

Don't trust the haters. If you had an interest in the game before the reviews, there should be no reason to assume you wouldn't like it now.
  13. May 10, 2011
    Brink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptional at, there is a minor bug issue. Remember folks, this IS splash damage making the game here. It'll get patched Whilst that may frustrate gamers that the game is 'broken', it is most certainly NOT. Its immersive, impressive and intellectual. The SMART movement system works, with a minor error or two. Brink seems to stand out between the more modern blood fests of FPS's these days. It doesn't punish you for not pushing the correct button at the specific time, or feature ludicrous areas where player input has no effect. No, Brink is colourful, a great experience online, doesn't feature and abysmal singleplayer, and wait for it... It's Fun. That's all that matters. Is it a FUN game. Yes. It is.

(In case you can't read well, imagine BF:BC2 with Mirrors Edge agility, with the fun of TF2. A recipe for FUN)
  14. May 10, 2011
    Yawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game design mechanics. The game oozes genericness in every way. Not even a rent. Expand
  15. May 12, 2011
    Brink isn't what people pretend it is. Brink has solid gameplay, but that's it. There's no real difference in playing one class or the other. All classes use the same weapons. Your objectives are different based on your class, but that's it.

The HUD is always so crowded with everyone's health and information, so being able to focus on the little blur that is the enemy on screen becomes a
    bit challenging when 99% of your screen is shouting, "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

The gameplay works, the SMART works, the customization is downright BEAUTIFUL! But the fun I had while playing it was severely limited due to little differentiation in classes, repetitive objectives, a bland story, and annoying habits the game would do.
  16. May 10, 2011
    I think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to be bothered to make actual textures or a lighting engine". A "smart" button? Can it get me more dumbed and casualized than that? Why even have us hit buttons at all? Just make the whole game autopilot and we can sit back and watch. Bethesda obviously weren't watching Bioware's mistakes with Dragon Age 2, else they would have known that dumbed down "1 button=cool stuff whoa omg!" gameplay does not make for great games. Make no mistake, this game is a piece of hipster trash designed to cash in on the TF2 popularity. It is generic. It is ugly. It is repetitive. It is unfun. Expand
  17. May 10, 2011
    I waited and had this game preordered the first chance I could get my hands on it. I've been waiting and waiting for so long for a new fresh game to come and brink is truly that. Brink brings a HUGE mix of previous games into play and gives it own style. If you enjoy any of the following: TF2, CSS, BF2, BFBC2 you'll find some part of Brink to enjoy.
    Brink is a lot of fun with their
    S.M.A.R.T. system, and you can get some pretty cool combos going once you are running around. Leveling and ranking up in the system is not hard ANYTHING you do in the game counts towards your XP, so if you play offline, it counts, online it counts, you want to farm bots all day and night long and just power level, it counts.

So single player/solo play is a lot of fun, but multi-player is what this game is designed for, and its also designed to play with your friends that have it. So here is the current issue and reason why I gave it a 9/10, is the fact that on launch day they've been hyping up dedicated servers for PC, and I help a game community run servers, nothing makes me more mad and annoyed than a company releasing a game with nonfunctional dedicated servers. Now there are SOME people I've seen been able to get them up and running, but there are so few servers online working it makes it almost impossible to join one without it being full or the host shutting it down because of lag or boredom who knows.

Now I can only hope that Splash Damage will fix the dedicated server issues and also address and fix the local hosting ability for people so we can play with our friends those of us who don't wish or have the ability to host a dedicated server or want to rent one from a GSP.

All in all, if you are looking for a game to play, I'd highly suggest thing if you are willing to suck it up with some online play issues and hope that the dev. (Splash Damage) will in the next couple days/weeks fix these issues. This game is really meant for online play and its a disappointment not to have that ability on release night/day.
  18. May 10, 2011
    This game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys to victory, if your team just goes in blasting and can't work together, you won't get anything accomplished. The parkour is fun and can be useful as well. On the down side, there are a number of bugs that will hopefully be patched (server and sound problems), and a few balance issues that could benefit from some retooling. I really hope more maps and other unlockables will be added in the future and the bugs ironed out, but otherwise it's exactly what I've been looking for. Expand
  19. May 10, 2011
    Yes, there is a learning curve here, and yes, there are some bugs, but it's only Day 1. These kinds of things are expected, especially from something like this. But once you learn how to use the S.M.A.R.T. system and complete a few challenges, you'll come to absolutely adore this game. Also, could we please stop complaining about the bugs? Name one game that was released without a single bug.
  20. May 10, 2011
    Great game. Smoothest launch for a PC game in a long time for both client and server side. Amazing art style and great teamwork gameplay. I will be playing this for awhile.
  21. May 10, 2011
    I can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for the lone-wolf types to accomplish anything on their own. The game looks great (always been a fan of this particular artstyle), and the individual character customization is quite a lot of fun to play around with as well. Overall, if you're into strong team-based multiplayer, I'd say BRINK is definitely a game to try. It's not without its shortcomings, but they aren't enough to stop me from likely enjoying this game well into the future. Expand
  22. May 10, 2011
    It's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. This one is definitely worth a try! Expand
  23. May 10, 2011
    First off, I'm aware of that this game has some performance issues, especially with ATI cards but these are the kinds of things that will be patched soon enough because Splash Damage is a developer that takes care of its games

While it does suffer from the above issues and some shotty AI, the gameplay here is something entirely original and what we should have had sooner. It is very fast
    paced and full of action thanks to the SMART system and abilities, yet it also requires a fair share of strategy and tactics to pull off a win because completing objectives is always key and the best way to handle these objectives is working as a team.

This is because in this game, not only is there power in numbers, but team members can buff each other with health, ammo, and other such things to give them the tactical edge and help them complete the said objectives. While singleplayer is just kinda "okay", the mutliplayer is a unique experience that CAN'T be missed out on.
  24. May 10, 2011
    A lot of hype surrounded the SMART system, but movement in Brink will probably feel clunky and more than a little awkward to most FPS players. The overall feel of the game comes off as 'laggy', with a weird rubber-banding sensation affecting almost everything from movement to shooting. My first thought was that it was my connection to the server, but trying a few more revealed the same problem everywhere. My next thought was that maybe it was my computer or connection, but a quick poll of other players proved they were seeing the same thing. Top it off with the fact that the sound will just cut out almost completely on some maps for the entire round and the end result is a game that is playable, but certainly not pleasant...

Also hyped was the customization options that were provided. There are a ton of options available to customize your character, giving you the ability to come up with some pretty unique looks. This is a strong point for the game, but I'd gladly sacrifice it for clean movement and the ability to have some precision when shooting... given that that's kind of important for an online FPS...

The weapons themselves also have a number of customization options, but the end result is rather bland. You just don't end up caring, because in the end one assault rifle will feel like all the other assault rifles and one submachine gun will feel like all the other submachine guns. The only attributes you really care about are damage and the size of the magazine for the weapon; other than that, the handling and behavior of the weapons feel pretty much the same as any other in their class.

Maps revolve around completing objectives, occasionally with certain objectives that can only be completed by a player with a certain class. It's nothing revolutionary, and doesn't really introduce any new dynamic that you haven't already seen in other objective-based team shooters. If you're like me and already playing one of those, whether it's TF2, CoD, or BF2/BC2, you're not really missing out on anything by skipping Brink that isn't already provided by any of those 3 games in a much better way. I'd say save your money for the next CoD or BF3!
  25. May 10, 2011
    To sum up brink in a catchy phrase. Half-assed console port ruins the day... AGAIN!. There is alot of potential in the game, plenty of good ideas , and some bad ones mind you. But all of it is totally undermined by a terrible port job. right out the door, steam will have difficulty decrypting the darn thing ( 1 hour down the drain) additionally pretty much every facet of the game's multilayer component is not functioning . Plus there seems to be no dedicated server option....

this would be fine if the ai wasnt mind numbingly stupid. Every single fire fight will have your ai mates running out in the open walking willfully into the line of fire. three seconds later they are dead. other times they will , for no apparent reason, stop perusing their current objective to go runaround for a bit ( 94% hack on the objective any one? Pretty much every match is a mindless mosh-pit with only lady luck as the determining factor of who wins.

to add insult to injury it is pretty much impossible to die as everyone has a generous re-spawn timer which even the slowest of medics ( and even the dumbass AI) can cater to. litterally there will be fire fights where you run out of bullets killing the same three guys in same hall way shoot out. It is Irritating as hell. you can shoot downed dudes to prevent this, but that usually takes nearly a whole clip as well. on the plus side the game looks great, there is a massive wealth of customization options and the voice acting is solid . i also really like the fluidity of the moment controls. Bottom line, wait until after the first 2 or 3 patches ( and maybe a price decrease) to get this game.
    a non functioning multiplayer component in a game that is 90% multiplayer is just all kinds of worthless.
  26. May 10, 2011
    I'll start of with the pros; the movement controls are nice and fluid, allowing you to vault obstacles and sprint at the same time with just one button, reminiscent of the 'free run' found in Assassin's Creed. The art style really benefits the feel of Brink with the over exaggerated realism that is brought out with beautiful graphics. The choice of weapons and their customization allows the player to experiment and adapt to his or her play style while also having different body types boasting abilities such as free running or more HP provides a unique customization feature where no one character will ever be the same.

Now onto the cons; there is no story driven single player, but a mission to mission type of play that all too closely resembles the multiplayer (if not EXACTLY like the multiplayer) and has little to no intrinsic value except that you can play by yourself. The movement using sprint or 'free run' can cause some problems every now and then where you'll vault a rail you didn't want to vault or get yourself stuck in a hairy situation that leads to your untimely demise. Finally the objectives and game mode feel repetitive over time and the number of maps don't help lessen the repetitiveness where after about 3-4 hours of playing you've already seen all the maps, and with no map editor there is no hope for the community to be able to build their own maps and make Brink even greater than it is now.

Overall Brink is a great game to play with friends for a short while, taking in all it has to offer, but it won't be something you'll be looking forward to get back to the next day.
  27. May 10, 2011
    Let me start by saying I wanted this to be as different as possible from the other cookie cutter shooters currently out there. It does achieve that with some revolutionary "ideas". Unfortunately it is the delivery on those ideas that fall short. It's hard to place this game in a genre as it is somewhere between a run and gun COD style and a Global Agenda hit point style game. As much as I wanted to love it the game feels off from the start and never seems to get comfortable. Hopefully other designers will take the ideas from this game and build something that plays as good as it sounds on paper. It gets a mixed rating from me. If it played as good as it sounded on paper I would have given a positive review. The opposite is true in that If it didn't have some fresh new ideas I would have given it a negative review based on the gameplay alone. Expand
  28. May 10, 2011
    good game, needs some work few bugs but overall nice change of pace. this game is about teamwork end of story. if they add some more maps,weapons,skills and what not it be awesome game. if the Dev gives it some more love it will be a shiny star.
  29. May 10, 2011
    Yes the Parkour is that awesome. Not clunky like some reviewers have said (Try not using the Heavy body type ;). Multiplayer may not have TDM or CTF and that is a downside =/ Think of the the MP as more like LFD2. I've played about 4 hours playing Challenges, and online Campaign. I've finished 3 mission for the Resistance and could play the same mission over and over. Servers are a bit laggy right now. But just remember the COD:BO launch. Nobody gave it a bad rating because it had problems at first (even tho COD is a piece of **** game). Overall I think it's a must buy for any fan of FPS games, or has friends that play FPS game. Because this game is centered around, and does this very well with the point system, around team-based playing and cooperation. Most addictive gameplay if played in a while. Expand
  30. May 10, 2011
    Brink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what it does right, it does it well.

Basically, the game boils down in the use of your 4 main classes : Soldier, Medic, Engineer and Operative. Each have an ability that will support your team and a role in the objectives that will be provided on each of your missions. Soldiers will hand out extra ammo to allies as well as plant explosive to clear doors and other obstacles. Medics will keep the team alive and revive downed friends so they don't have to wait for the respawn wave. Engineers will boost allies' weapon damage and set up turrets, remove spotted mines and overall provide general fire support. Operative will disarm mines, hack into objective and bolster your command points' defenses while also passing as an enemy, if he can disguise himself as one.

The two main features of the game are the SMART system and the customisation. The former allows for greater mobility around the level, to evade and reach higher areas with overall ease. Each body type will allow a certain degree of freedom using SMART with the Heavy type barely able to move over low walls and have slow mobility (in exchange for increased health and bigger caliber weapons) and the Light type that's basically a monkey on speed; the Medium type strikes the middle balance, giving good survival and mobility and access to most weapons.

The customisation, unlike most current shooters, extends both to your character and the weapons you have unlocked as well as abilities. For one, you have quite a few options for customisation to begin with, more unlocked as you rank up and progress through the game. Each character can have a Security and a Resistance outfit ready, depending on which faction you happen to be playing as for the match. The changes are normally apparent enough to be noticeable (perhaps other than face scars) and while there is a good choice, it feels like there could even be more offered. Perhaps some will be available later with updates and/or DLC.

Graphically, the game is eye pleasing; the character models certainly have a personality of their own while the environnements have more than mere shades of grey, green and brown. The Ark was a colorful place but even through its degradation, it still maintain a kind of life that isn't completely lost. The architechture of the levels is very nice with multiple paths leading to objectives and favorising each playstyle.

In the sound department, the voice acting is pretty good, if a bit cliché with accents but you're not likely to be annoyed. Voice cues play as needed and automatically depending on the situation (like whenever you choose a new objective, your character voices it out to his allies) which is a nice touch that gives a bit of interactivity. Weapons sound mechanical and loud, something that most games tend to overlook; the fact that multiple samples have been taken for each weapon really shows and makes it one of the most appealing sound work in a FPS since Bad Company 2.

An example would be to use the Soldier's molotov **** to knockdown enemies then finish them off with a burst of rifle. The knockdown will grant XP as will each connecting shot (a 30 XP bonus awarded even for 'grouping' shots in a burst) and the kill itself. Another would be to run around as a medic, boosting allies' health and bringing them back up. At the end of the match, what is important is the effort you've given toward your team's success... and that is why only the tallied score is displayed. Kills and deaths are transparent; victory is vital and thus, those who work best with their team will be taking the top of the scoreboard and not necessarily those with the most kills.

This might be what drive some current generation gamers away; it takes time to get used to the fact that this is a team game and not a "Me, Myself and I" type of gameplay. The game will happily hammer you into oblivion for trying to take on more than 2 or 3 enemies all at once, making its point that this isn't as twitchy a shooter like Call of Duty might be. It's different, it's refreshing and it will definitively drive some people off... but those that'll take the time to learn the game will get enough enjoyment out of it to be a worthwhile purchase.
  31. May 10, 2011

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]