8.3

1. Sep 21, 2010
    9.5 score in reality. This game is a masterclass of how to make an adventure game and one of the very few adventure games that can live with the classic Lucasarts titles. New content adds a bit to the game but it's the 14 year old content that still steals the show for me. The main feature being a story that is so good that if it were to be made into a film, I would be in the cinema9.5 score in reality. This game is a masterclass of how to make an adventure game and one of the very few adventure games that can live with the classic Lucasarts titles. New content adds a bit to the game but it's the 14 year old content that still steals the show for me. The main feature being a story that is so good that if it were to be made into a film, I would be in the cinema watching it now. This game always got the difficulty blend just right, sometimes it can drive you nuts but you feel good once you've solved a problem. On top of great story and gameplay, the voice acting is top notch doing justice to a script that is witty and clever.

There is no reason not to own this game at least on one platform but for me, PC is the real home of George and Nico.
  2. Jan 10, 2012
    Better game than The Longest Journey. There, I said it. Treason! The story to this game is filled with laughs, sly wit, and over the top spoofs and in its own way is every bit as good of a narrative as TLJ. Once you move away from the story elements Broken Sword shows itself in every way to be the superior game. The inventory system is better, the graphics have been updated, the puzzlesBetter game than The Longest Journey. There, I said it. Treason! The story to this game is filled with laughs, sly wit, and over the top spoofs and in its own way is every bit as good of a narrative as TLJ. Once you move away from the story elements Broken Sword shows itself in every way to be the superior game. The inventory system is better, the graphics have been updated, the puzzles mesh with the story, and the in-game hint system both manages to keep immersion intact while allowing the player to set their own level of difficulty. April Ryan will maintain a singular place in the hearts of adventure game fans but for pure entertainment value Broken Sword wins. It's impossible to objectively criticize the first installment of the Broken Sword series without nitpicking. Perhaps the only fair criticism is that the puzzles are not super hard even without the hints. However, the sad truth is the most of the challenge to the puzzles in other games comes from bad design, not intellectual sophistication. When all and said and done Broken Sword: TDC is the best adventure game because everything in it just works synergisticly to keep the player to keep on playing. Expand
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    Brilliant game it kept me intrigued throughout the whole story. It's long with various locations, and very enjoyable! (Though the Syria parts were somewhat racist...)
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    For fans of Longest Journey, Still Life, Secret Files et al, Broken Sword (all three game episodes), is up there with the best of them, Fine, so the graphics are old, but the story is great, great voice acting (first game especially with the French female accent), some very funny scripting, and getting the balance just right on puzzle solving and how much to-and-fro there is to do. LovedFor fans of Longest Journey, Still Life, Secret Files et al, Broken Sword (all three game episodes), is up there with the best of them, Fine, so the graphics are old, but the story is great, great voice acting (first game especially with the French female accent), some very funny scripting, and getting the balance just right on puzzle solving and how much to-and-fro there is to do. Loved playing all three. Happy to recommend all them to point-and-click fans. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2012
    Played this game years ago when it first came out for PC. Now I believe the Director's Cut is a huge improvement, and gives an old fan excuse to play the game again. Only recommend if you like point and click style adventure games. Only downside for some might be the 2D cartoon style graphics, but if you can look past that, you will find a masterpiece of game here.
  6. Jul 4, 2012
    Astonishing game!!!! The puzzles, the story, the dialogs, the scenarios, everything in the game is awesome. It makes you wanna play at once. Amazing! But the original version is better...
  7. Jul 14, 2015
    A great story that develops as you find various clues. The graphics are cartoon based which is a bit disturbing for some of the players, but this graphics style work well on story based games. Overall, this is a game worth playing and discover the ending of the story behind the game.
  8. Sep 3, 2015
    If you can get ahold of the original version, go play that one. Then play the Director's Cut.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still good, but there are some scenes & events in the original version that won't happen in the director's cut. In my oppinion, these scenes added A LOT to the overall mood of the game and added a small bit of fear. By todays standards i understand that you would not include such scenes/events anymore in a point&click adventure since they might frustrate the player. But at the time of release, they were great and i really miss them in the Director's Cut. ;)

On the other hand, you should also play the Director's Cut, as there are additional scenes which give you background information about the main characters. There a also some additional puzzles.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. PC Gamer UK
    Dec 30, 2010
    Wonky visuals, but this is as close to The Da Vinci Code meets Monkey Island as we'll get. Did I mention the hot French accent?
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    Maybe new players who don't know the series might find the story uncohesive or even might be dissapointed by its graphics. But Broken Swords fans should buy it without hesitation.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Simplified and slightly extended version of a legendary adventure game uses somewhat obsolete visuals but still counts as one of the best games of all times. [Issue#196]