8.6

1. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  2. Jun 29, 2017
    From this game I realized what it means - heart-wrenching.From this game I realized what it means - heart-wrenching. Although I do not have a brother, but the game gives you this feeling, for several hours. Warm, sincere brotherly love.
  3. Jun 4, 2017
    Simplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, butSimplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, but as the developer's recognition of its game's own pacing, maximising immersion, and minimising the frustration for the casual players the game is clearly intended for. Expand
  4. May 10, 2017
    "I am thrilled that I never thought that ending would be as that!" - It was very tragically adventure game that I found myself crying.

Very immersive and heartfelt. Indeed an awesome experience! My hat off to the creator.
  5. Apr 22, 2017
    1 – GENERAL

Brothers is a game that relies a lot on storytelling without saying a single word. Strange enough? I hope so, because they do it brilliantly. In this puzzle adventure game your task is to find a medicine to heal your father. I do not want to spoil much more, but I have to say that in this Indie game you will forgive most of it's faults because you are always compelled to
    1 – GENERAL

In this puzzle adventure game your task is to find a medicine to heal your father. I do not want to spoil much more, but I have to say that in this Indie game you will forgive most of it's faults because you are always compelled to go forward to the next level and unravel another bit of the story.

Graphics are a joy to watch, and there's even an interaction with the environment where you can just sit and stare at the landscape.

The soundtrack is also flawless. Very well chosen. People can also play this game just for it's music.

2 – GAMEPLAY

Most of the narrative driven games do not have a proper gameplay to go along, but Brothers is built upon some interesting mechanics. This game is actually a single player co-op! To words for that GE-NIOUS!

We control both brothers at the same time with the dual analog sticks of the controller. At the beginning it feels a bit strange and we fail most of the moves. The game is very short so we never get the full hang of that, but soon enough we are perfectly able to do it almost without mistakes.

The puzzles are quite simple and not very challenging. TBH the main challenge of the game is controlling the brothers, and not to cry here and there...

It's also fun to interact with NPCs and find out the different reactions from each brother.

Despite all this the game is very short and has no replay value whatsoever.

3 – CONCLUSION

So pointing that, is it worth buying? For sure! More than a game it's a very powerful experience, and I clearly suggest anyone to try this one out!
  6. Mar 17, 2017
    Pros:
    - Beautiful and simple story that will burn your FEEEEELSS!!
    - Interesting gameplay (you need a controller)
    - Gorgeous world and environments for such a small game.

Cons:
    - You'll spend more money on the napkins than on the actual product! xD
  7. Mar 14, 2017
    Pros:
    + Amazing Storyline
    + Great Graphics
    + Beautiful Music

Cons:
    - Short story ( 3 hours )
    - The puzzles are too easy, and sometimes even boring.

Amazing game with very emotional incredible story and amazing soundtrack .
    MUST HAVE for someone who like puzzles or just games based on story.

SCORE : 90/100
  8. Feb 16, 2017
    Once upon a time, in a far far land, two brothers went on a journey to find a miracle potion that could save their sick father. Our two heroes were not only linked by blood but their destiny was one. It is through the game controller that you will lead their story. This beautiful tale offers you a clever/original take on playing video games which perfectly serves the story line. This gameOnce upon a time, in a far far land, two brothers went on a journey to find a miracle potion that could save their sick father. Our two heroes were not only linked by blood but their destiny was one. It is through the game controller that you will lead their story. This beautiful tale offers you a clever/original take on playing video games which perfectly serves the story line. This game will transport you to a fabulous universe with fun and serious themes that will resonate with any human being. I loved it so much that I really wish it was a little longer... But part of me also thinks that the 3~4 hours story line was perfectly executed, and I would rather have that than a 40+ hours game of chores.

Verdict: A
  9. Jan 29, 2017
    Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: 505 Studios/Starbreeze Studios System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 78/100 Value Score: 7.8/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 8/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Amazing visuals and level design +Unique innovative control
    Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Amazing visuals and level design
    +Unique innovative control scheme and decent puzzle solving
    +A lot of potential for exploration which leads to side quest like events
    +Game can be replayed through chapters

Cons
    -Controls can be somewhat annoying at times
    -Very short unless you explore
    -A lot of the side quest events (which lead to achievements) can easily be skipped or looked over
    -Narration is done by a imaginative language however the lack of subtitles can make some confused at what is going on
  10. Jan 8, 2017
    Прекрасная сказка.
    Очень красивые пейзажи и локации. Геймплей даёт новый опыт, интересно сделан. История проста, но от этого не менее трогательна.
    Лучше сыграть, чем увидеть.
  11. Nov 23, 2016
    A beautiful experience, perfect for a single sit down.

Pros:
    - Emotional and compelling story
    - Beautiful and deep environments
    - Interesting and constantly changing puzzle mechanics

Cons:
    - Very short, under 3 hours

If you can pick this one up on sale, it is a perfect palate cleanser between more expansive, time consuming games.
  12. Sep 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic game. If you want an in-depth look at how the game conveyed its story and emotion through its gameplay, then you might enjoy this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-onOQDZ7gc Expand
  13. Aug 28, 2016
    THIS is one of the best videogame indie that I have never played. The feelings are awesome and I downloaded the music because is perfect. Buy it, they deserve i.
  14. Jul 24, 2016
    I'm convinced that this game should be played by everyone. You'll experience a great story with such a sad ending, awesome soundtrack/art, and, of course, gameplay which is pretty interesting: you will take control of two brothers. I played the game a year ago, but still remember those feelings. Just try it out.
  15. Jun 21, 2016
    A short, but very interesting game with a unique gameplay and a lovely setting.

Brothers tell a tale of two brothers in quest to find cure for their ill-struck father. They will have to travel through a wonderful, fairy tale land. On their way they'll meet a bunch of fantastic creatures and will visit really well designed places. Gamplay focuses on using twin sticks so it's
    A short, but very interesting game with a unique gameplay and a lovely setting.

Gamplay focuses on using twin sticks so it's preferable to use controller to play it. You control both brothers at the same time to progress in your journey. The puzzles are well designed and simply make sense. Using both characters at the same time makes the game experience unique and fun. Really enjoyed this.

The location design is top notch. I used to stop for a while to just enjoy the visuals. The scale is well presented. There are sights that just leave you in awe.

The story is well put together as well. Really emotional and heart-warming.

The game might be a bit short but feels complete and it's a well spent couple of hours. Really worth picking up.
  16. Jun 19, 2016
    Short but worth it. This game will make you feel the feels and is also mechanically unique, a prime example of how to make a video game narrative work. Controller required.
  17. May 28, 2016
    Gorgeous looking indie game with a rich story and intriguing puzzle/adventure gameplay. On the shorter side (3-4hrs), but definitely worth the $3 I paid during a Steam summer sale. Not your typical adventure/platform game, but very rewarding for those willing to give it a try. I played through by myself, but I imagine it would be a blast with a 2nd player (a brother even)!
  18. Feb 24, 2016
    Do you want a laid back adventure in terms of game play, but an intense experience in termes of story telling and scenery? This one is for you. It's casual friendly. It's beautiful. It's imaginative and fun. There are few minor bugs if you play on PC keyboard, but there are easy ways around them (hence 9 instead of 10]. And let me tell you a secret... you can play with your partner or aDo you want a laid back adventure in terms of game play, but an intense experience in termes of story telling and scenery? This one is for you. It's casual friendly. It's beautiful. It's imaginative and fun. There are few minor bugs if you play on PC keyboard, but there are easy ways around them (hence 9 instead of 10]. And let me tell you a secret... you can play with your partner or a friend using one keyboard, which will give you an amazing experience and emotional bonding of a shared adventure of emotional depth. Expand
  19. Feb 23, 2016
    If ever there was poetry in game form, this is it. This game's unique mechanic might seem a little quirky and hard to manage at times, but the story, setting and characters are all likeable enoug to make you want to continue. The way it manages to tell the story it does with no comrehensible dialogue at all is absolutely stunning. And that ending... Never before has a game nearly made meIf ever there was poetry in game form, this is it. This game's unique mechanic might seem a little quirky and hard to manage at times, but the story, setting and characters are all likeable enoug to make you want to continue. The way it manages to tell the story it does with no comrehensible dialogue at all is absolutely stunning. And that ending... Never before has a game nearly made me cry. Not one for those who are easily turned off by slightly awkeward gameplay, but ifyou can see past that then this game will really touch your heart. Expand
  20. Feb 19, 2016
    A game working with just an analog stick and only one use button (OK, two sticks, two buttons). The controls are uncommon but that's nice. Although there are no dialogues, no quests and no inventory, the game is definitely a must-play because of it's very emotional and fine made story.
  21. Jan 17, 2016
    Hands down best game ever played. The storyline is amazing and really touching as you slowly watch the players develop. The mechanics of the game is rather unpolished but this can be forgiven as it is sort of an Indie game. The graphics on this game are breathtaking, especially when viewed from the designated viewing seats scattered across the map.

The game would appear to be a bit

The game would appear to be a bit short, completing in around 4 hours, but it's well worth it. Apart from that, my only complaint would be the ending, which is rather disappointing.
  22. Dec 24, 2015
    wrongly submit Xbox one review here, give it back a fair review to it. great game . great story telling . if you want a game to make think a litttle bit more or make you cry, this is the game.
  23. Nov 9, 2015
    Despite going into this one feeling a bit cynical and ready to mock, I couldn't help but be converted. The weird control scheme is both awkward as hell and also amusing to watch yourself fail at. The game does a good job of making the personality of the brothers come out despite the dialogue consisting of no actual words. Environments are varied and so gorgeous they left benches along theDespite going into this one feeling a bit cynical and ready to mock, I couldn't help but be converted. The weird control scheme is both awkward as hell and also amusing to watch yourself fail at. The game does a good job of making the personality of the brothers come out despite the dialogue consisting of no actual words. Environments are varied and so gorgeous they left benches along the path for you to stop and sit on just to admire the view. The overall plot and setting is also VERY dark compared to what I was expecting, not afraid to show death and blood as the journey continues. Which pleasantly reminded me of being traumatized by Don Bluth films as a young child.

I'm a little disappointed in the simple level design. It feels like there was so much more potential for complex puzzles and platforming sequences using the two brothers to their fullest, but instead everything's pretty simple and obvious. You won't die much, no matter how much you suck at the controls.

Speaking of, some might disagree, but I'd say a controller is 100% required to enjoy this one right.

And for those who beat it, that's probably the most emotional I've ever felt over pressing the left shoulder button to progress.
  24. Oct 23, 2015
    Un juego que no monopoliza a un personaje, un juego en el que se coopera aunque juegues tu solo, un juego que hace llegar sentimientos a varios personajes a la vez. Grandísimo juego.
  25. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Perfectly intertwined story, theme, and gameplay
    + Unique hook with engaging ramifications
    + Amazing levels with inspired and gripping set and action pieces
    ? Somewhat random story that mostly works in spite of no actual dialog
    - A reverse deus ex machina ending that feels cheap after the adventure ends
  26. Jul 28, 2015
    It's amazing. It's best emotional and athmospheric game. It will teach you to appreciate loved ones and not only.
    I love this game. I love her cool soundtrack.
  27. Jul 21, 2015
    A lovely relaxing platformer, with great art direction and high production values. Even though some textures and animations are a bit basic, this game looks absolutely amazing - a real triumph of the Unreal Engine 3. I like how it felt innocent and uncluttered compared to mainstream titles. It does get a bit darker towards the end though, which I felt a bit mixed about. Still, this is aA lovely relaxing platformer, with great art direction and high production values. Even though some textures and animations are a bit basic, this game looks absolutely amazing - a real triumph of the Unreal Engine 3. I like how it felt innocent and uncluttered compared to mainstream titles. It does get a bit darker towards the end though, which I felt a bit mixed about. Still, this is a nice break after playing lots of FPS games. The puzzles are easy, but they are still nice and not too repetitive. If you want intense gameplay, you wont find it here.
    While a controller is ideal, I played on a keyboard without much trouble (minus a small problem with a lift mechanism at the start). Do not avoid this game because some people say keyboard controls are bad, you would be missing out on so much. Yes, it is a bit short, and you can see it was made on a budget, but it is a masterpiece all the same. Even if you usually only play mainstream shooter games, you should take a break and play this.
  28. Jun 26, 2015
    It has been a while ago that I played this game, but I remember very well how imressed I was by the increadible amount of creativity that was invested into the story, scenary, gameplay... and everything. It is elaborated to the last detail, nothing ignored, nothing out of place. I was continuously amazed by any amounts of small and big things contributing to the experience. You simplyIt has been a while ago that I played this game, but I remember very well how imressed I was by the increadible amount of creativity that was invested into the story, scenary, gameplay... and everything. It is elaborated to the last detail, nothing ignored, nothing out of place. I was continuously amazed by any amounts of small and big things contributing to the experience. You simply cannot miss the extreme care with which this game was created. I felt the game a bit short as I wanted to get more... but I guess, in light of hte story and the message, any longer would feel artificial, so after all this is no reason to complain.
    I give 10 very rarerely, but this game is as near to flawless as a game can be.
  29. Apr 1, 2015
    The game is absolutely magnificent, unique and engaging, like a fairytale but with more maturity, even the main characters being children. A satisfying ending, with a great story told. I love the game, the same day that I had downloaded, I had already finished the game.
  30. Mar 21, 2015
    El juego lo tiene todo, es precioso, emocionante y no deja de impresionarte. Un juego pequeño que te hace muy grande. Si puedes comprarlo hazlo, sino consiguelo pirata pero juégalo, no te decepcionara.
  31. Mar 16, 2015
    If you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one ofIf you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original puzzle games that I have played in a while, and although it's not exactly the most difficult, the reward is in the storytelling. It's not easy to portray emotion in a video game without saying a word, but this game pulls it off in style.

While I agree that all video games, no matter how bad or good they are, are a form of art, this game is a shining example of it. Emotional storytelling combined with controls that make sense not only to the gameplay, but say even more on a narrative level, 'A Tale of Two Sons' shines the most when it comes to how we interact with the characters. By giving players the opportunity to control both brothers at once by utilizing the dual sticks on your gamepad, 'Brothers' takes storytelling through gameplay to a new level. This may sound difficult to control at first, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it and will often forget that you're controlling two people at the same time without much thought.

This game more than deserves the amount of praise that it has been given and I hope to see more video games that utilize this control concept. The art style here is fantastic, the variety in gameplay will keep you entertained the whole way through, and the puzzle elements although simplistic are incredibly fun when combined with the controls. The asking price may be a bit high for such a short game, but the next time this one is on sale, I would recommend picking it up to pretty much anyone.
  32. Mar 11, 2015
    Brothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was moreBrothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was more dangerous the game-play suffered. Otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  33. Mar 8, 2015
    This game is unique thanks to its absence of dialogues, you can only guess what the characters are trying to say from their nonverbal communication. It doesn't hurt the story though, instead of listening to cliche phrases you can imagine your own conversations.
    The Two brothers complement each other in order to overcome obstacles and puzzles. The puzzles are not particularly challenging, but that keeps the story flowing and frustration at bay. Instead of trying hard and being mad at the game, you can admire the beautiful environment, scenery and music. Also this game convinced me to buy a gamepad. You can play it with keyboard too, but the controls are much more intuitive and immersive with a gamepad.
    Game is fairly short but i think the length is just right to keep the story intense. Also the game mechanics are not complex enough to keep you interested for longer period.
    Although the game seems peaceful, you will get your share of adrenaline and fighting.
    In my opinion the main strength of the game is it's streamlined and polished feel, that lets you fully embrace the emotions this game stirs up.
    All of the above makes a very immersive game that now holds a special place in my heart.
  34. Jan 28, 2015
    بازیش خیلی خیلی خیلی خوبه بازی با گیمپلی متنوع و لوکیشن های متنوع و محیط های جور باجور و گرافیکی دل نشین و داستانی جذاب به هم توصیه میکنم حتما بازیش کنید بازیش عالیست
  35. Jan 17, 2015
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a small Adventure game based on two brothers, who after losing their mother, must go on a quest to retrieve something to help their sick father. A usually simple premise. However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and triggers are dedicated to each brother, while if playing via keyboard, the WASD keys control one and the arrow keys control the other. There is very much a sense of trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, using these controls. At first, while travelling the world is relatively easy, you may struggle but soon you get used to it.

The world itself is beautiful to wander around. It looks like an oil painting come to life, with many inhabitants and objects available to interact with in both humerus and very moving ways. They breathe a certain kind of life in this game that only few games actually achieve. The landscapes become more and more epic as you progress. One certain area (and how you manoeuvre this area) left my mouth agape for it's entirety. You'll know which one this is.

Although it starts out almost child-like, the themes become very dark, quite quickly. You'll stumble across some helpless individuals, which require assistance. The story-telling of these, even though the dialogue is not a known language, can be an emotional experience.

And emotions run very high in this game. I completed this in one 3 hour setting (recommended), and 3 days later, it is still sitting with me. Towards the end, you might even find it hard to continue due to it's emotionally draining circumstances.

Definitely one of the best Indie games I've played.
  36. Jan 3, 2015
    Wow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought theWow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought the lenght of the game was perfect, clocking in at about three hours. Expand
  37. Dec 30, 2014
    A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy,A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy, this game appeals to me, but as a human being who loves games, it just captures me. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever. Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2014
    Brothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, althoughBrothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, although engaging for the most part.

As a kind of interactive storybook, this game is a great success. Even though there is no dialogue (the characters speak in gibberish) there is a lot of drama in the story. The scenery is extremely well done, and there are a lot of extra touches to give the brothers personality.

As a game there are hits and misses. The dual-character-control idea is quite clever, and there are some cool things that you can do with this scheme. The potential of this concept is not fully realized, some of the same kinds of puzzles appear multiple times. There are a lot of puzzles, but most only take a minute or so of contemplation to see the answer. This is good for keeping the story moving, but it made the game somewhat easy and short.

If you are into a game that is a kind of work of art, and is cleverly designed, this is the game for you. If you are looking for a hard-core challenge, this game may disappoint you.
  39. Nov 1, 2014
    Visually stunning with a unique game mechanic that has you flowing through a norse fairytale while giving your coordinative skills a sweaty workout.

To me, the story was quite meh. But I have friends who almost shed tears on their playthrough, so the quality of the story seems to be a case of who you are and what mood you're in. However, this games real trait is being a quick, coordinative, beautiful adventure, and I couldn't demand for it to have a much more fleshed out storytelling in the short time it takes to play it through. Just great!
  40. Sep 22, 2014
    Obrigado jogos indies sempre me surpreendendo, Melhor jogo de PC de 2013 e Melhor jogo INDIE de 2013...........................................................
  41. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is superb for what it is designed to be - an interactive adventure story. It is not too challenging, and not very long, but it is a beautiful piece of art and has a very unique feel. Very pleased with the experience overall.
  42. Sep 12, 2014
    A Tale of Two Sons is a video game as art and music. The puzzles are easy and short, and the game starts out feeling like something intended for children, but the story gets some adult themes half way through.
  43. Sep 2, 2014
    A breath of fresh air in indie game dev and gaming overall. Interesting story and deep connection to the characters, through beautiful art style and simplicity of play. A must play game...
  44. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  45. Aug 9, 2014
    I just beat this game a couple of hours ago and man was it good! I see a lot of reviews that this game was too short but I thought it was just right. the story was excellent!! I feel like this game will resonate with me for a good while. excellent game!! 12/10
  46. Aug 7, 2014
    This is a truly Powerful Adventure Story Driven Game. It is a Masterpiece it deeply affected me Art Style is Gorgeous, The Narrative is Powerful, and the Gameplay is Unique. If you haven't played this your doing yourself an INJUSTICE I hope they make sequel to continue the Story I want more of this and I wish we had more games like this.
  47. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary.I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  48. Jul 25, 2014
    Everything about this game is made to perfection, or at least close to perfection.
    The sounds are great, the aesthetics are great, the use of the control is amazing.
    The characters represent emotion perfectly.

have to say though, the gameplay is potentially boring.
  49. Jul 20, 2014
    Great visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get itGreat visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get it on sale, otherwise $15 seems a little steep. Expand
  50. Jul 19, 2014
    It's a beautiful game with excellent soundtrack and a decent story, although somewhat cliché, it's still interesting on its own merits. There isn't too much action in the game except a few puzzles that aren't that hard to figure out and a few encounters where you have to "defeat" certain enemies.

That being said, it's a great game to play if you are in the mood of playing storytelling games where you basically have to imagine all the dialogue by yourself, which doesn't take away from the game at all. The game is very linear, which kinda cuts exploration down a notch with the exception of a few sections of the game where you can perform a few actions to get steam achievements. It's not a long game, it can be beat in about 3 hours and probably has no point to be played after you beat it unless you are a completionist.

It's a $10-$15 dollar game, but I got it on sale for about $5 I'd guess. It was well worth it, still better than a lot of crap you watch on TV or cinema nowadays.

Also, make sure you have a 2 joystick controller like xbox 360 ones because playing it on a keyboard is probably not recommended since the way the game was developed (you control both characters at the same time) kinda demands it.
  51. Jul 17, 2014
    A superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, andA superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, and as they search for the rare medicinal plant that can cure him, they find more people in need of their help. It's a thing of beauty that works hard on your emotions, despite telling its story without the use of words. Expand
  52. Jul 9, 2014
    One of the most intensive Story i've ever played! This Game has an awesome atmosphere and is just awesome to play. i played it for a Let's Play and i almost did it in 1 Part. Atmosphere 10/10! Only Bad Point: its definitly too short. it took me around 3,5h to finish it. Possible to do it faster.
    If you like the Style of Fable, if u are open for a heavy breathtaking Story, THIS GAME is MUST-HAVE for you. For everyone else its still i very good Game!
  53. Jul 7, 2014
    Just finished it. It was an amazing journey. Loved the level design, puzzles but the overall heart of it. The art is beautiful, environments are beautiful. Controls can be awkward at time but playing with a controller might help.
  54. Jul 2, 2014
    The game is incredibly beautiful and the story is also really fascinating and really sucks you in.
    Unfortunately the game-play isn't terribly exciting or varying. Also it's a bit short with no real reason to play it all over again. Through this I have to say that the two hours this play through took was emotional and really great hours spent gaming.
  55. Jun 29, 2014
    Потрясающая игра, совсем не сложная, добрая сказка. Сыграйте, совершенно точно не пожалеете :)
  56. Jun 26, 2014
    My vote for Game Of The Year.
    This is more fun than Titanfall!
    *Innovative Game-Play That The Industry Needs
    **Nicely Done, Starbreeze!
    -Very Well Delivered Story With Unique Gameplay-
  57. Jun 25, 2014
    This is the second time I give a 10/10 review, the other one was for GTA V, and this game is the total opposite of it.

I played this in local coop mode, each one being one of the brothers. You get carried away by the story, the beautiful landscape, the hidden gems. They do not speak, or at least you can't understand, but you still get the emotion, laughing and crying along with them.

The puzzles are not that hard, and you'll finish the game in 3 hours, but for the price, it is worth it.

Conclusion : A must-have for everybody, just relax and listen to their story !
  58. Jun 25, 2014
    Amazing story, unique game play! Picked this up for $2.99 at the Steam Summer Sale, I feel like I ripped the studio off for not paying more. I would have gladly paid the $14.99 asking price. This game is a emotional roller coaster taking you through the journey of these two brothers. Pick this up!
  59. Jun 19, 2014
    One of the most moving games i have ever played. I became fully enthralled by the plight of the characters. Graphically beautiful, and, although only 3 hours long, fantastic story in my opinion.
  60. Jun 1, 2014
    One of the best single player games i have ever played in my life, the setting art style characters the music it really get's you inn, cried at the end to, such a good game, i prey they make another one a sequel.
  61. May 29, 2014
    Innovative game-play and controls scheme, beautiful environments and artistic style, touching story, interesting spatial puzzles ... quite short (less than 5 hours) but I still highly recommend it to everybody willing to try something non-standard and different.
  62. Apr 12, 2014
    A wonderful fairy tale with a strong ending. A journey well scripted. Love, determination, struggle of the brothers amazingly expressed. One of the best games of the year.
  63. Apr 6, 2014
    Fantastic Game. Deeply touching, interesting story with very good imagination! And it made me sad for the rest of the day after I have finished it, no game has ever done that to me before.
  64. Apr 5, 2014
    All I will say about this game is, play it on your own in one sitting (2-3 hours). Stick with it, let yourself become immersed in the world. Enjoy it and see it through to the end.

I feel sorry for the reviewers on here who did not grasp the significance of the ending. Most will, however, and (although I won't spoil anything) I will say that no game I have ever played in over 20 years has had such an emotional effect on me. You have to experience it for yourself to understand.
  65. gic
    Mar 26, 2014
    This interactive journey featuring touching story is an absolute piece of art that you would not want to miss. Breathtaking environment is backed up by a truly memorable music.
  66. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game show that games industry still alive, for now. This game is original, with new mechanic to play, new challenges, a enviroment amazing, the game has not words just expressions. Beatiful soundtrack, good physics and a good graphic (good job with Unreal Engine). In the begin I was thought that game was very single and to kids, but I was wrong the it was designed to people that think and like to do this. Finally , Thankyou StarBreeze for this great game. Amazing history. Expand
  67. Mar 17, 2014
    Last Played: March 2014
    PROS: + Everything, from character models to environments, is beautiful and the artistic direction is cohesive
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The
    Last Played: March 2014
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story
    CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours
    - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck

REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The world looks and feels like a Grimm brothers’ fairy tale, where you skip from totally different backdrop to backdrop, though this is positive as well as negative. On the positive side the game’s artistic flavor never compromises the feel of ordinary characters in a supernatural and fantastic realm. Consistent with the Grimm story type however, is the “skipping” travel between areas where the protagonist has suddenly come to a completely different area with a completely different (and wholly unexplained) backstory. Whether you like this brand of storytelling or not is a personal preference, but I applaud the developers for having the guts to do what they wanted to do, exquisitely showing a rather simple story (there is not so much as a single written word or line of dialogue in the whole game, excepting menus and a control prompt or two).

On the complaints side, I do have to gripe that the game feels quite short, in fact having never played this game before most should be able to beat this in a single sitting if they choose. This raises some questions about value-for-money. Personally, I am of the opinion that if you can get this for less than the cost of a movie ticket where you live, you’ll get more entertainment out of this than whatever you could have seen there, but that’s just me. It certainly compares favorably with paying $60 for a trashy and forgettable 3-hour Call of Duty campaign, since you’ll actually remember what happened more than 10 minutes after you are done. No bugs to speak of, and controls are mostly fluid, but I do have one specific complaint: crank shafts in this game may be intuitive to some, but I tried every control scheme I could think of, and after five minutes stuck at the beginning of the game became convinced that I had a bug that was preventing me from moving on. Not so-when I looked up the supposed bug it turned out I just had to rotate the control sticks. However, a single counter-clockwise arrow could have saved me a few minutes of frustration and would have been trivially simple to include. Still, a fantastic experience, and I’d buy it again if I didn’t already own it.
  68. Mar 16, 2014
    Probably one of the most beautiful Indie games I've ever played. And I'm not solely talking about the graphics and the scenery, but also about the atmosphere and the lovable main characters. I haven't been as touched by a game in a long time, and man, did the ending leave me in a one big pile of emotions.

The game is short, but it's three hours well spent.
  69. Mar 6, 2014
    What a fantastic, heartbreaking and innovative little game with such a lovely story about two sons on their journey to find medicine for their dying father. Some scenes really let me sit in front of my tv with my eyes wide open. If you like games with new game mechanics and less action this is an absolutely must have.
  70. Mar 4, 2014
    Wow! I can't say how much I love this game. Every gamer has to experience this wonderful journey. The story is fantastic and so is the game-play. There is something very unique about this game which really touched me.
  71. Mar 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I am writing a review for a game and am doing so out of the feeling that it is necessary after playing such a wonderful game. While there is virtually no challenge, you connect with the characters in this story in an amazing way only to leave you with a myriad of emotions at the end.
    As far as the people leaving negative reviews for it not being long enough, it wasn't a sixty dollar game. I got the game for five dollars and have seen it cheaper. Well worth the money, I'd buy it again and pay more.
  72. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters.This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters. There is no actual language nor subtitles in the game, but the emotions can do all the job of words. I really recommend this game to people who wants a relaxing yet mature experience in the gaming world. Expand
  73. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Прекрасная небольшая (часа на 3-4), не сложная, не детская сказка о двух братьях без диалогов, зато с удивительно разнообразным, трогающим за душу миром и оригинальным управлением, которого вы ещё не встречали (требуется джойстик). Графика выглядит устаревшей (Unreal engine), но панорамный вид спасает дело; музыка выше всяческих похвал.

Похожие игры (Ico, Journey) выходили раньше только на приставках. На этот раз производитель подумал и о нас, горячо рекомендую.
  74. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated thisThis game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated this an 8/10 due to the length of the game, and honestly how easy it is. Besides that, lots of fun.

p.s. PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL.
  75. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is groundbreaking, fluid and challenging at the same time. The puzzles are somewhat simple but fun to solve, and the storyline manages to be simply beautiful.

Touching, inspiring & innovator, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played so far.

(About 4 hours gameplay + 1 hour cutscene films & about U$10-15)
  76. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is fantastic. Touching story and you never want to stop playing. You want to do all you can to make sure the brothers complete their goal. Great setting and game play. One of the best games I have played in a while.
  77. Feb 17, 2014
    This game is one of the greatest i have played in my life, even tho i give 10 only because i have played it via using x-box pad, otherwise i would give 9/10, anyways graphics, story and game play is so great i'm still amazed.
  78. Feb 17, 2014
    It is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, warIt is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, war torn battlefields, and frozen wastelands.
    But the true majesty of this setting is enhanced by the fact that you don't play as an epic hero. You play as a couple kids who are way way over their head. This makes everything feel much more threatening and magical then it would otherwise.
    The story is excellent, and told almost entirely through game play, with only a handful of cut scenes throughout the entire game. There is no dialogue because it is unnecessary. The story is simple, and in this case that is a good thing. It is trying to convey emotions and ideas, instead of complex political messages. So it only uses what is necessary to do that.
    What keeps this game from getting a 10 is 1 simple things. The first being that the PC controls without a controller are very poor. One brother controls with WASD and space bar. Which works perfectly. the problem is that the other brother controls with the arrow keys and the left CTRL. This gets to a point of actually being physically painful. Just hover your right hand over those keys and see.
    I imagine I could give it a perfect score if I played it with a controller, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
    I suppose the length of only 2-3 hours was another deciding factor in it. But really it wasn't that big of a deal, just that for most games I wouldn't think that I had spent enough time playing it to judge it, and with this I am already done.
    But the 2-3 hours spent in this game are pure and necessary. There is nothing that wastes your time and nothing that doesn't do what it is supposed to.
    It's the difference between grinding for 100 hours in world of warcraft and spending a few hours experiencing something truly special.
    If movie tickets are worth 17 dollars this is definitely worth 15. and you will leave this feeling something.
  79. Feb 15, 2014
    absolutlley amazing. my game of the year. great graphics,graet gameplay and decent storyline make this one a total winner for the best game of the year
  80. Feb 13, 2014
    Best Game Of 2013. Nevermind that, this is the best game of all time. Forget Half Life 2, forget Bioshock or forget GTA V. This game knows how to play with your emotions. Never once a game made me to wish if we could change a part of the game. Never once a piece of Media ever made me drop manly tears from my eyes. This game could do it. This is more than a game. This is a piece of art.
  81. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a fantastic game. The gameplay is pretty simple, just use the control sticks and trigger buttons to control the characters, but that's not the draw of the game. The art direction is beautiful, the story is simplistic but powerful. The title of the game carries throughout the game, except ******SPOILERS******* at the end when you *******SPOILERS******** have to bury your own brother. My lord, the game has you go through the actions of burying your own brother, the one character that you rely on to get you through the game. Very Powerful. Another powerful moment is when you get to the end and actually have to use your brothers controls to get you through certain obstacles you normally wouldn't get through. For those emotional elements this game gets a pretty high score. I did enjoy playing through it, although the controls did get kind of annoying sometimes by coordinating between the two characters. One thing I wish the developer did was create subtitles in the game. I understand they're trying to immerse you in a whole new fascinating world and may not speak english, but gestures do not fully communicate the characters interaction. Overall great game for the emotional impact, but not fully enjoyable because of the controls. Worth playing if it's discounted. Expand
  82. Feb 11, 2014
    It's a game that relies on you operating with both hands to move both brothers. It is otherwise a rather linear game that is meant to tell a story while you perform puzzles. The puzzles can be frustrating at times, but they aren't that difficult to deal with and beating the game will only take you about five hours. I would not suggest this game to anyone who focuses only on gameplay andIt's a game that relies on you operating with both hands to move both brothers. It is otherwise a rather linear game that is meant to tell a story while you perform puzzles. The puzzles can be frustrating at times, but they aren't that difficult to deal with and beating the game will only take you about five hours. I would not suggest this game to anyone who focuses only on gameplay and always skips cutscenes, but it is a great game to unwind on for a relaxing time. It uses stunning art and an engrossing story to draw the player in, and it was a great time overall. It does lack in replayability however. It relies more on the overall story and the experience than actual gameplay, so while being fun, it has the replayability of a book. I beat the game twice for fun, but I probably won't play it for another year when I feel like picking it up in a year. Expand
  83. Feb 5, 2014
    Hands down one of the best examples of storytelling in videogames. This game helps move the industry forward as form of entertainment. This game has you connect with the characters though it's superb soundtrack it's bittersweet visuals and it's unique way of being played and I don't think there are any games of this caliber that has me connect with the characters in a physical sense. If IHands down one of the best examples of storytelling in videogames. This game helps move the industry forward as form of entertainment. This game has you connect with the characters though it's superb soundtrack it's bittersweet visuals and it's unique way of being played and I don't think there are any games of this caliber that has me connect with the characters in a physical sense. If I ever had any gripes with the game they were soon forgotten unlike the story and mood which I will always remember. Expand
  84. Feb 5, 2014
    A breath taking game. Even though there is no language you still can be connected with the story more than ever. Worst thing about the game is that it is short.
  85. Jan 29, 2014
    The game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is veryThe game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is very simple. You can't fall of ledges, which given the nature of the controls (each joystick controls one brother) is a blessing. There isn't really any challenge so if you are the type of person who plays a game for that then this wouldn't be for you. It's an easy straightforward game and it seems the sole purpose of it may be to have you look at the beautiful art design. But that's not a bad thing. The game puts all it's eggs in the charm basket and succeeds. I would recommend the game to you if you weren't already turned off by the lack of challenge and the linear aspect. If you like the walking dead game or the Stanley Parable then likely you will like this game. Expand
  86. Jan 27, 2014
    Easily a 10/10, the game was just superb. Even though there is no understandable langue in the game the story that is told is amazing. The game is beautiful, the gameplay is original and the puzzles are different. The game is a must buy and was definitely my favorite game of 2013.
  87. Jan 23, 2014
    This is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. At first, I thought it was like Journey, and it feels like it. But with a twist. To control 2 characters at the same time, with puzzles that require your motion awareness, sense of direction and at the same time your sight to see the little things in a gorgeous world. Sometimes the game felt a little bit easy, but that's because itThis is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. At first, I thought it was like Journey, and it feels like it. But with a twist. To control 2 characters at the same time, with puzzles that require your motion awareness, sense of direction and at the same time your sight to see the little things in a gorgeous world. Sometimes the game felt a little bit easy, but that's because it holds you into a "never-talk" story, tiny details and comprehension that this journey to save your father is a journey to save this world too. It's not because it's short or "indie" that I should give less than 10. This game feels like a classic. And it made me cry. Expand
  88. Jan 21, 2014
    Hands down one of the best indie titles I've played. Beautiful, engaging and emotional game with interesting puzzles a gameplay. It creates a unique and fascinating world, moves you, and keeps you entertained the whole way through.
  89. Jan 20, 2014
    OMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 andOMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 and 9) were screaming out loud on some parts they were so scared but then when we made it through a challenge we were all screaming for joy!! We played from around 11 am through 8 pm and just could not stop playing until we had finished it!! One used a controller and the other was on keyboard (big sister/little sister just like the brothers). It was just a fantastic family experience!! We'll probably start a new game when they come back over again we had so much fun. Many kudos 505 Games!!! Expand
  90. Jan 18, 2014
    Great game. Gameplay-wise is a bit simplistic, but makes that up with the control-two-characters-at-a-time mechanic. Good setting and storyline. I'm also glad that it doesn't last more than necessary, just about 3 hours, which for this game it feels like the way it has to be.
  91. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game. Beautiful landscapes and graphics, touching story, great characterization.

One of the best games I have played for a few years.
  92. Jan 17, 2014
    One of the most moving and atmospherical games I ever played. The completely new game mechanics is another achievement which puts this game on a level above a lot of other games and lets it win a spot in my heart forever. Buy!
  93. Jan 17, 2014
    This game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and someThis game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and some mild platforming elements, but nothing that will probably stump or challenge you. Instead it's more like I enjoyed moving from puzzle to puzzle to see what imaginative world waits next.

I played with a keyboard (not gamepad) the entire game and it worked fine once I got the controls down. I have never given a 10 on a game and I considered it for this one, but I'll go with a 9. The only thing really holding me back from a 10 is that I felt the story kindof left me a bit confused at the end. I think I understood what the storyteller was going for around the story, but I felt a couple of events near the end just felt a little outside the chain of cause/effect. I think some may say you'll get to a part in the story near the end when you wonder "how did we get from there to here, and why did the unpredictable series of events drop us at our destination?" Anyhow, I'll be vague, but this element only slightly detracts from an otherwise wonderful game. Play this one when you get a chance.
  94. Jan 15, 2014
    Beautiful game. Rethinking of the controller and medium-skilled puzzles keep the game moving along at the pace the developer wants you to progress. Fun interactions with double joystick control, music, puzzles, and gripping storyline makes this my top 5 of 2013.
  95. Jan 14, 2014
    Simply amazing you have to try it. It's not even a game anymore it's a great experience, reminds me little bit of a Journey, but I think it's even better. I strongly recommend this game to anyone looking for a unique experience.
  96. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A mustThis is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A must play. A game you will never forget. Expand
  97. Jan 14, 2014
    Знаю, что игра рассчитана на управление одним человеком, но мы с сыном проходили двоем, это конечно облегчало процесс игры, но как мы прониклись общим делом, постоянная взаимовыручка. Я думаю не будет спойлером сказать, что в конце игры мы были оба в слезах и сын еще долго философствовал на тему игры.Знаю, что игра рассчитана на управление одним человеком, но мы с сыном проходили двоем, это конечно облегчало процесс игры, но как мы прониклись общим делом, постоянная взаимовыручка. Я думаю не будет спойлером сказать, что в конце игры мы были оба в слезах и сын еще долго философствовал на тему игры.
  98. Jan 13, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is, at its core, a simple adventure-platforming game with a unique mechanical twist. Players control the movement of both of the main characters, the titular brothers, with the controller's two analog sticks, while the triggers allow for numerous interactions in the world. The control scheme can sometimes be confusing - every now and then I found myselfBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is, at its core, a simple adventure-platforming game with a unique mechanical twist. Players control the movement of both of the main characters, the titular brothers, with the controller's two analog sticks, while the triggers allow for numerous interactions in the world. The control scheme can sometimes be confusing - every now and then I found myself controlling the characters with the wrong sticks - but as the game is extremely light on twitchy sequences, this never actually impeded the gameplay and, in most cases, made the game feel a little more charming. This is probably because of how well each of the game's puzzle-based set pieces are designed. Each of the times I found myself controlling the wrong character it was because I had let that character get on the side of the screen opposite the stick controlling him. The game's puzzles are designed in such a way that they typically remove the ability to do this, allowing the player to focus on the puzzle without being bogged down by control problems.

Graphically, Brothers is a downright beautiful game. The character models are less detailed than most recent big budget games, but the total package is leaps and bounds above the majority of the pack, rivaling games like Journey in its ability to get everything right. At times players will find themselves wandering through a forest, probably forgetting the massive size of the game's world, until they step out onto a clifftop with its bench (there are a lot of benches in the game) and suddenly recognize an area that they had previously played through, down in a valley seemingly miles and miles away. It's pretty incredible. Scope isn't the only thing the game provides, though. In the 3 or so hours that it took me to complete Brothers, I never once felt bored with the environment design. The story takes players through dozens of locations, from underground cities to desert battlegrounds and everywhere in between. Each of these environments feels fresh and (more importantly) fits very snugly into the world of Brothers, which can only be described as a satisfying mix of elements from both high and low fantasy. The greatest achievement of the world's design, though, is the constant feeling that there is some unseen story behind each of the different areas and that they aren't, as in many games, just dioramas filled with puzzles for players to solve.

The narrative in Brothers, which will undoubtedly be the draw for most players, is what would happen if Tolkien and Hans Christian Anderson co-wrote a fairy tale and Disney made the movie with the original ending intact. It doesn't feature a single word in English - or any other spoken language - but instead relies on body language and other visual cues to convey contextual meaning while the characters speak in a language that is vaguely reminiscent of Simlish. This is much less alienating than I had believed it would be when I first started playing, due in large part to the slightly exaggerated, but not overbearing, emphasis on body language and gestures in conversations. Ultimately, though, the self-imposed language barrier does still create a sense of alienation, taking away from some of the more emotionally charged moments as the player feels like little more than a passive observer of the game's events. Where Telltale's The Walking Dead series is so successful in allowing the player to feel a connection to the game's characters, in turn making the pivotal plot moments bite that much deeper, some of the events in Brothers fall short. The game's lack of player agency, coupled with the inability to fully understand the characters, keeps the same kind of meaningful connections from being formed. The final rise to the climax does overcome this, though, introducing a shift in the game's mechanics in a simple, yet powerful way, without any of the accompanying fanfare that would normally be expected. These are, in all honesty, some of the most powerful moments in any video game.

Brothers' gorgeous vistas and compelling narrative are tied together beautifully by the game's audio. The sounds and effects in each of the varied environments simply feel like they fit. There was no moment where, upon crossing the threshold to Area A to Area B, the audio effects suddenly snapped into "Area B mode", resulting in a noticeable shift in the spatial quality of the sounds. The soundtrack, heard in some form for the majority of the game, is equally impressive and fits perfectly with the narrative. At times the music is subtle to the point of being almost unnoticed, providing ambiance to an environment, while at other times it is used to great effect to accentuate the tension of pivotal plot points.

Despite its inability to fully capitalize on some of the more charged moments in the narrative and a few minor bugs, Brothers is still one of the most well-crafted and focused games, indie or otherwise, that's been released in quite a while.
  99. Jan 11, 2014
    So glad I brought this, aside from being a little sort this game is perfect. I have blonde hair and have an older brother with brown hair so immediately i felt connected to the brothers. Gameplay is very fun, essentially a single player co-op adventure taking the two brothers on an epic and memorable adventure . Story is brilliant as well, this and the Walking Dead Game are the only twoSo glad I brought this, aside from being a little sort this game is perfect. I have blonde hair and have an older brother with brown hair so immediately i felt connected to the brothers. Gameplay is very fun, essentially a single player co-op adventure taking the two brothers on an epic and memorable adventure . Story is brilliant as well, this and the Walking Dead Game are the only two games that have got me teary-eyed. Expand
  100. Jan 11, 2014
    Simply: You have to play this game. It's a masterpiece. So unique, so beautiful. The gameplay is so fun and new, you control two people at the same time, I have never played a game with this style of gameplay before. The story though is what makes it so beautiful. I can't stress enough how good this game was. No wonder it has such a high user score.
    Also you don't need controllers to play
    Also you don't need controllers to play it on PC, you just need to chance the right character controls to use something else other than Right-Ctrl. I played it on PC without a controller completely fine.
  101. Nov 1, 2013
    Absolutely Amazing! This right here, is how you do story telling games! Incredible art in this game, the visuals will blow you away. It is like you are walking through a watercolor painting. The soundtrack is truly enchanting at times as well.

This game can be beat in a few hours I highly recommend you play this and allow yourself to take it all in at once, much like a cinematic experience. The ending of this game left me gasping "Wow, Holy wow! Absolutely Incredible". This instantly goes down as one of my all time favorite visual media experiences.

This is an unforgettable adventure you should undertake!

copy and pasted from my steam profile

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.