8.6

1. Dec 23, 2014
    I've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the controlI've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the control scheme. You have to use a controller since you control both brothers simultaneously. It soon becomes a chore to play and the only real reason to continue is for the story. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2013
    The game is beautiful but thats about it. Story almost doesn't exist since you don't get told much. You basically go around the world solving puzzles and do some platforming, it gets kinda boring after a while. Oh and the controller is mandatory (not that I mind).
  3. Jan 4, 2014
    A rather memorable experience. Stunning visuals, pretty simplistic gameplay and puzzles, yet fun. The story is okay, though I do not consider it awesome. One thing I must mention very comfortable controls (if you use gamepad). Overall, this game is a small work of art. Try not to miss it, it takes only 3 hours to complete, but you'll get unforgettable impressions.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    one of the best games of this year set in a fantasy world from the beginning it socked me into its world with its outstanding visuals amazing music and fantastic storyline support the developers and get this game it's definitely one of the best games of this year
  5. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    The game is interesting, sure. The concept of controlling 2 characters at once has come up in a handful of games on Kongregate already and hasn't become boring yet. The story is great as well. I especially liked that everything is told without a single word the animators have done a great job. The locations are filled with details and small objects. Music is great. The whole theme of theThe game is interesting, sure. The concept of controlling 2 characters at once has come up in a handful of games on Kongregate already and hasn't become boring yet. The story is great as well. I especially liked that everything is told without a single word the animators have done a great job. The locations are filled with details and small objects. Music is great. The whole theme of the game is very positive, even educational. The negative sides are: 1) you can't customize the keys! This is just plain carelessness of the developers and is unforgivable. On my laptop the arrow keys are small, so my Up key is actually on the same level as the right Ctrl and I had to keep the right hand awkwardly positioned, with the elbow shifted left, touching my belly. Playing the game was physically uncomfortable. I'd remap the keys to use the keypad for controlling the small brother. 2) there is not much actually gameplay since the only thing you can do is to press "action" keys in some places. There are no actual puzzle to solve, there is not much to do. It's more of an interactive cartoon than a game since you can't do much except running and watching animations. 3) the graphics are pretty dated and low poly, somewhere on the level of 2003 games. I give this game a 6 for the interesting concept but frankly I dropped this game after 20 mins due to boredom and painful controls. Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    At first glance, this seemed like one of those "meh to okay" ranged games to me, but it's much more than that. The controls and puzzles are very clever, the atmosphere and story of the game holds up beautifully, especially when there's very limited dialogue not something that every game can pull off. I wouldn't say the game is mindblowing, but I'd still recommend every type of gamer to try it.
  8. Sep 28, 2013
    I sure would like to shake the hand of the person who made this game! Well done.. It does so well when your playing both brothers at once and in fact it really puts the game at hard to work. Games that allow you to play as just one character or one character at a time already have enough of a hard time but playing 2 at once is something much different for the player(s) and the game'sI sure would like to shake the hand of the person who made this game! Well done.. It does so well when your playing both brothers at once and in fact it really puts the game at hard to work. Games that allow you to play as just one character or one character at a time already have enough of a hard time but playing 2 at once is something much different for the player(s) and the game's physics.

I have made it atleast 2 hours into the game now and i don't see anything too tough to accomplish.. Every objective seems easy enough to complete within just few minutes of thinking time (or maybe none needed at all)

The adventuring is spectacular. Very good looking.

The way you help each other out is just so touching and breathe taking that it will put a smile on anyone's face. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about what's beyond the next turn. Great job!
  9. Sep 12, 2014
    A Tale of Two Sons is a video game as art and music. The puzzles are easy and short, and the game starts out feeling like something intended for children, but the story gets some adult themes half way through.
  10. Jun 4, 2014
    Overall Rating: D+

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fairly original game where you control two brothers simultaneously, one with each joystick on your controller. Given its incredibly high Metacritic rating and uniqueness, one would think this would be a good game. Sadly, it is not. Story The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the
    Overall Rating: D+

Story

The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the quintessential sad story. The brothers' mother drowns, their father gets sick, and it falls to the two of them to go through the world, overcoming challenges to get the cure for him. The story, as it were, is very sparse; there's a few moments where the brothers help out each other, such as the big brother diving in to help the younger one throughout one level, and then at the end of the game, when the big brother gets hurt, it is the little brother's turn to help out.
    It ends with the older brother dying just before the cure gets to him, the brother returning home with the cure for his father, and them kneeling before the mother's and brother's graves.
    The characters all speak in simlish, and ultimately communicate via gestures. Unfortunately, the net effect of this was to make me not care about them at all; I understood their personalities to some extent, but I never connected to them as people, and thus I didn't ever really care about them. Indeed, the very nature of the game - using the two brothers as pieces to solve the puzzles - really divorced me from caring about them.

Gameplay

This game is interesting by being simultaneously innovative and mediocre. The underlying idea behind the game is clever - you control two characters and you have to use them to overcome various puzzles and challenges. There are times when you have to be moving both characters around at the same time, and times when one character stands there and holds a lever down (or just waits) for the other brother to do stuff.
    The game is at its best when you need to use both brothers at once to do stuff, but unfortunately, while the gameplay mechanic sounds really neat, it actually gets pretty old after a while; most of the puzzles are fundamentally fairly similar, and while you do various actions, none of the puzzles are particularly difficult or challenging. It generally is very obvious what you are supposed to do, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that it means that the game is more or less leading you by the nose throughout its length. There's only a few points at which the mechanics are all that interesting; for much of the rest of the game, after the beginning, you're more or less repeating yourself, with the odd new puzzle added in.
    The game did do something fairly clever at the end, though; after the older brother dies, the younger brother is left on his own. Throughout the rest of the game, the younger brother has been afraid of swimming, having to cling to his older brother for support when in the water. At the very end of the game, he is faced with no choice but to swim, and the controller vibrates as you push up to the edge of the water; only by using the older brother's action button can you swim across it. You also have to summon his strength again to pull down a lever which previously only he could move.
    Unfortunately, while this was clever, it wasn't very deep, and that's the trouble with the whole game - it is very shallow.

Graphics

The graphics of the game are okay but not amazing; the characters are all cartoony, but they aren't quite high polygon enough to really look as good as they should. There are some moments in the game where things are very pretty looking, but on the whole, it isn't nearly so nice looking.

Final Summary

Brothers has an interesting central mechanic, but unfortunately the overall game is very shallow. It is pretty short - clocking in at about 4 hours in length for 100% completion, less if you don't explore all the areas fully - but even in that time it gets repetitive. It is not worth your time.
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    Delightful game, undoubtedly could be enjoyed by anyone with a heart and some basic grasp of simple puzzles and a controller. It's (dare I say) beautiful and touching, and definitely worth your time (even if it is just a few hours). It's the kind of game that I will store in my Steam account, categorized as "classic".
  12. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (0/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

13. Nov 23, 2013
    I would be happy to recommend this game, but with a couple of caveats. It is beautiful to look at, really nice use of the Unreal engine, the story line is nice (not perhaps operatic or deep, but nice with some emotional tug), and once you start, you will wish to see it end. Just keep in mind that the controls can be fiddly from time to time, and the puzzles are easy and obvious.

I think

I think what stops me from giving it the 8-10 mark is that we're introduced to some beautiful ideas and lands in at least three chapters, but we pass through them and they're gone, with no note or interest in telling us more about these lands. This game could have been a much much bigger one if they had to budget to expand on each land, and then progress to the next. Take a note out of The Walking Dead series, and maybe do it as chapters if there's a Brothers 2. For me, the end felt rushed to, I wanted to find out much more about the earlier levels to complete the world story. And the make-up language limited them in giving the sons (plus parents) any decent backstory, I'm not sure it was a great idea, but I compliment them in trying.

All that aside, it is a very fine game, worth playing, short enough, and once you get the keyboard mapping good for your two hands, you'll have an enjoyable experience.
  14. Mar 16, 2015
    If you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one ofIf you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original puzzle games that I have played in a while, and although it's not exactly the most difficult, the reward is in the storytelling. It's not easy to portray emotion in a video game without saying a word, but this game pulls it off in style.

While I agree that all video games, no matter how bad or good they are, are a form of art, this game is a shining example of it. Emotional storytelling combined with controls that make sense not only to the gameplay, but say even more on a narrative level, 'A Tale of Two Sons' shines the most when it comes to how we interact with the characters. By giving players the opportunity to control both brothers at once by utilizing the dual sticks on your gamepad, 'Brothers' takes storytelling through gameplay to a new level. This may sound difficult to control at first, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it and will often forget that you're controlling two people at the same time without much thought.

This game more than deserves the amount of praise that it has been given and I hope to see more video games that utilize this control concept. The art style here is fantastic, the variety in gameplay will keep you entertained the whole way through, and the puzzle elements although simplistic are incredibly fun when combined with the controls. The asking price may be a bit high for such a short game, but the next time this one is on sale, I would recommend picking it up to pretty much anyone.
  15. Oct 29, 2013
    Simply amazing.... an absolute blast to play from start to finish. Other reviews here already mention that the game is "fresh and new" but I have to repeat that as well because it's true.... this is a very unique gaming experience that everyone should get the chance to play.
  16. Dec 30, 2014
    A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy,A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy, this game appeals to me, but as a human being who loves games, it just captures me. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever. Expand
  17. Sep 26, 2013
    A classic through and through. Hard to fault this game to be honest and wholly justifies it's high praise. Started and finished in one sitting just shy of 4 hours (I paced myself as I didn't want it it end). Will I play it again? Probably not for a few years at least. Even with that in mind, I highly recommend anyone give this a bash as it's worth your money and your time. Enjoy.
  18. Jan 17, 2014
    This game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and someThis game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and some mild platforming elements, but nothing that will probably stump or challenge you. Instead it's more like I enjoyed moving from puzzle to puzzle to see what imaginative world waits next.

I played with a keyboard (not gamepad) the entire game and it worked fine once I got the controls down. I have never given a 10 on a game and I considered it for this one, but I'll go with a 9. The only thing really holding me back from a 10 is that I felt the story kindof left me a bit confused at the end. I think I understood what the storyteller was going for around the story, but I felt a couple of events near the end just felt a little outside the chain of cause/effect. I think some may say you'll get to a part in the story near the end when you wonder "how did we get from there to here, and why did the unpredictable series of events drop us at our destination?" Anyhow, I'll be vague, but this element only slightly detracts from an otherwise wonderful game. Play this one when you get a chance.
  19. Jul 20, 2014
    Great visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get itGreat visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get it on sale, otherwise $15 seems a little steep. Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

It started out great. The music on the title screen was superb and the graphics were beautiful. The environments throughout the first half of the game were awe-inspiring. The aspect of controlling both brothers at once was annoying at times but not too bothersome. I'm still not a fan of that aspect overall, though. At first, I thought
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

At first, I thought "wow, this will be a great game for my nephew, he will love this" until it suddenly turned teen rated (maybe even mature) halfway through, which was unnecessary. Still, I was really enjoying the exploration/journey, it felt so magical. However, the last 1/4 of the game ruined it for me. There was no climax, which I was expecting. I imagined this massive tree that would eventually appear in some grand valley, etc. but that was not the case. The ending just came out of nowhere and was very dull. I did not like the overly dramatic seriousness of it. I actually quit the game out of frustration due to a glitch during the very last cinematic and never went back to watch it again.

Very disappointing.
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    Everyone should play this. It's as simple as that. The game does have a couple of minor problems, especially the cheesy music that actually hurts the emotional impact of the story, but when it works (which is 95% of the time), it works in a way that you have simply never experienced before. There's not a whole lot of unique games these days. This is one of them. Go buy it now.
  22. Jan 29, 2014
    The game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is veryThe game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is very simple. You can't fall of ledges, which given the nature of the controls (each joystick controls one brother) is a blessing. There isn't really any challenge so if you are the type of person who plays a game for that then this wouldn't be for you. It's an easy straightforward game and it seems the sole purpose of it may be to have you look at the beautiful art design. But that's not a bad thing. The game puts all it's eggs in the charm basket and succeeds. I would recommend the game to you if you weren't already turned off by the lack of challenge and the linear aspect. If you like the walking dead game or the Stanley Parable then likely you will like this game. Expand
  23. Jan 5, 2014
    Artistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although aArtistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although a different language) and music is very well done. Expand
  24. Jan 21, 2014
    Hands down one of the best indie titles I've played. Beautiful, engaging and emotional game with interesting puzzles a gameplay. It creates a unique and fascinating world, moves you, and keeps you entertained the whole way through.
  25. Jan 17, 2014
    One of the most moving and atmospherical games I ever played. The completely new game mechanics is another achievement which puts this game on a level above a lot of other games and lets it win a spot in my heart forever. Buy!
  26. Oct 2, 2013
    A game like no other.
    That is a statement I can say and be true with this game, having to control two characters is a breath of fresh air and provides some great unique moments.
    A game like no other.
    The journey this game takes you on is pretty fantastic, its lasts about 3 hours and is really well paced with no parts that will bore you. The game is mainly summed up of puzzles which will require you to use the characters at the same time in order to progress which is pretty daunting at first and takes a little time to get used to but once you do its really fun.

The game is also rather pretty, with some great vista's. To be honest its hard to talk about this game without spoiling the experience, its a game you need to play yourself and for the price you should. If you liked to play something different, you should play this.
  27. Dec 30, 2013
    Outstanding game mechanics, beautiful scenery and a touching story with a great sountrack. what more can you ask for? This game has only one purpose. To tell a story. It couldn't have been done better.
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    One of the best games i bought for the PC. Its worth every penny. This game is really adventurous. I love the graphics. The storyline is extravaganza. It creates love between me and this game. Its a must try for all PC gamers who love playing adventure games.
  29. Mar 17, 2014
    Last Played: March 2014
    PROS: + Everything, from character models to environments, is beautiful and the artistic direction is cohesive
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The
    Last Played: March 2014
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story
    CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours
    - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck

REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The world looks and feels like a Grimm brothers’ fairy tale, where you skip from totally different backdrop to backdrop, though this is positive as well as negative. On the positive side the game’s artistic flavor never compromises the feel of ordinary characters in a supernatural and fantastic realm. Consistent with the Grimm story type however, is the “skipping” travel between areas where the protagonist has suddenly come to a completely different area with a completely different (and wholly unexplained) backstory. Whether you like this brand of storytelling or not is a personal preference, but I applaud the developers for having the guts to do what they wanted to do, exquisitely showing a rather simple story (there is not so much as a single written word or line of dialogue in the whole game, excepting menus and a control prompt or two).

On the complaints side, I do have to gripe that the game feels quite short, in fact having never played this game before most should be able to beat this in a single sitting if they choose. This raises some questions about value-for-money. Personally, I am of the opinion that if you can get this for less than the cost of a movie ticket where you live, you’ll get more entertainment out of this than whatever you could have seen there, but that’s just me. It certainly compares favorably with paying $60 for a trashy and forgettable 3-hour Call of Duty campaign, since you’ll actually remember what happened more than 10 minutes after you are done. No bugs to speak of, and controls are mostly fluid, but I do have one specific complaint: crank shafts in this game may be intuitive to some, but I tried every control scheme I could think of, and after five minutes stuck at the beginning of the game became convinced that I had a bug that was preventing me from moving on. Not so-when I looked up the supposed bug it turned out I just had to rotate the control sticks. However, a single counter-clockwise arrow could have saved me a few minutes of frustration and would have been trivially simple to include. Still, a fantastic experience, and I’d buy it again if I didn’t already own it.
  30. Oct 8, 2013
    So much unreal hype in these reviews. I was glad to have read them before playing, as I was braced for how bad it must be. I was first struck by how dated the Unreal engine is. They did very well with what they had, but you can only dress up fake 3D with low-res 200x graphics so much. For a while, I thought my PC either turned into a Wii, or I was playing a World of Warcraft mod. TheSo much unreal hype in these reviews. I was glad to have read them before playing, as I was braced for how bad it must be. I was first struck by how dated the Unreal engine is. They did very well with what they had, but you can only dress up fake 3D with low-res 200x graphics so much. For a while, I thought my PC either turned into a Wii, or I was playing a World of Warcraft mod. The story's tone is flat-out bipolar, rapidly switching from suicide to whimsical hang-gliding within the span of a few minutes. The characters are shallow, cliche, and poorly set-up, like the character designers spent all their time in the office playing ping pong, with NPCs' most memorable interaction with the player being the direction they point. Most puzzles are offensively obvious, while the few others rely on moon logic. The main character is simply unlikable (along with almost every other NPC you "interact" with), a bother to society and a burden on anyone unfortunate enough to interact with him. He has absurd fears which slow the game down, much to the users' frustration. "Bosses" all seem ripped from other games, whether an invisible monster drawing an eye-roll, or the stupid lug who indirectly kills himself by running into walls. The controls are ridiculously confusing and frustrating without a gamepad, trying to move multiple characters at once it clearly wasn't ported properly.

Then, just before the end of the game, 505 suddenly reveals it was all intentional. Every frustration I felt, all the shortcomings I thought the game had, suddenly make sense as storytelling mechanics. My defenses were down as I realized what an idiot I am, and then they go right for the heart with the most powerful emotional experience I've ever had in gaming. Absolutely unforgettable.
  31. Oct 8, 2013
    I've seen better graphics but the game still manages to be okay. It reminds me of full metal alchemist and was very interesting at the beginning, though got boring later on. Still a good game though.
  32. Jun 25, 2014
    This is the second time I give a 10/10 review, the other one was for GTA V, and this game is the total opposite of it.

I played this in local coop mode, each one being one of the brothers. You get carried away by the story, the beautiful landscape, the hidden gems. They do not speak, or at least you can't understand, but you still get the emotion, laughing and crying along with them.

The puzzles are not that hard, and you'll finish the game in 3 hours, but for the price, it is worth it.

Conclusion : A must-have for everybody, just relax and listen to their story !
  33. Feb 15, 2014
    absolutlley amazing. my game of the year. great graphics,graet gameplay and decent storyline make this one a total winner for the best game of the year
  34. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is groundbreaking, fluid and challenging at the same time. The puzzles are somewhat simple but fun to solve, and the storyline manages to be simply beautiful.

Touching, inspiring & innovator, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played so far.

(About 4 hours gameplay + 1 hour cutscene films & about U$10-15)
  35. Jan 1, 2014
    This whole game is a masterpiece and one of the best pc titles ever. The touching story and the spiritual company of the older brother at the end was a unique experience. Gameplay was really innovative and the scenery looked flawless. The atmosphere puts you in the mood and the soundtrack is solid. It was the only title beside The Last Of Us that brought me to tears.
  36. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching total biscuit's immense hype for this game, I decided to try it for myself, all in one sitting. The graphics are beautiful. The controls are odd at first, but then work well. But the emotional moment where many people shed tears, I was only slightly moved. After the crazy adventures they had gone through, having the older brother die to such a silly, out of nowhere event left me a little disappointed. But overall it is still a beautiful story, and a must play Expand
  37. Nov 13, 2014
    Brothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, althoughBrothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, although engaging for the most part.

As a kind of interactive storybook, this game is a great success. Even though there is no dialogue (the characters speak in gibberish) there is a lot of drama in the story. The scenery is extremely well done, and there are a lot of extra touches to give the brothers personality.

As a game there are hits and misses. The dual-character-control idea is quite clever, and there are some cool things that you can do with this scheme. The potential of this concept is not fully realized, some of the same kinds of puzzles appear multiple times. There are a lot of puzzles, but most only take a minute or so of contemplation to see the answer. This is good for keeping the story moving, but it made the game somewhat easy and short.

If you are into a game that is a kind of work of art, and is cleverly designed, this is the game for you. If you are looking for a hard-core challenge, this game may disappoint you.
  38. Jan 17, 2015
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a small Adventure game based on two brothers, who after losing their mother, must go on a quest to retrieve something to help their sick father. A usually simple premise. However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and triggers are dedicated to each brother, while if playing via keyboard, the WASD keys control one and the arrow keys control the other. There is very much a sense of trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, using these controls. At first, while travelling the world is relatively easy, you may struggle but soon you get used to it.

The world itself is beautiful to wander around. It looks like an oil painting come to life, with many inhabitants and objects available to interact with in both humerus and very moving ways. They breathe a certain kind of life in this game that only few games actually achieve. The landscapes become more and more epic as you progress. One certain area (and how you manoeuvre this area) left my mouth agape for it's entirety. You'll know which one this is.

Although it starts out almost child-like, the themes become very dark, quite quickly. You'll stumble across some helpless individuals, which require assistance. The story-telling of these, even though the dialogue is not a known language, can be an emotional experience.

And emotions run very high in this game. I completed this in one 3 hour setting (recommended), and 3 days later, it is still sitting with me. Towards the end, you might even find it hard to continue due to it's emotionally draining circumstances.

Definitely one of the best Indie games I've played.
  39. Jul 17, 2014
    A superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, andA superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, and as they search for the rare medicinal plant that can cure him, they find more people in need of their help. It's a thing of beauty that works hard on your emotions, despite telling its story without the use of words. Expand
  40. Oct 25, 2013
    about 4 and a half awesome hours of amazing feelings,atmospheric world,great gameplay and amazing soundtracks. a real great experience that i never seen before and the two brothers are both awesome especially the younger one.
    i gotta say this is the BEST adventure game i've ever played i'll give it a 9.5 coz i really wanted the game to last longer.
    i guess this game deserves to be
    i guess this game deserves to be nominated for GOTY
  41. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a lovely little game. I say little because it only took me five hours and I didn't feel inclined to replay it right away. It wasn't very expensive, if you don't count the Xbox controller it requires. Having to control two characters simultaneously was a nice challenge, and the basic message of love and cooperation was very satisfying. I also liked that the ending had real feelingThis is a lovely little game. I say little because it only took me five hours and I didn't feel inclined to replay it right away. It wasn't very expensive, if you don't count the Xbox controller it requires. Having to control two characters simultaneously was a nice challenge, and the basic message of love and cooperation was very satisfying. I also liked that the ending had real feeling that was different from what you get in most computer games. I took off a point for not being 'open-world': you have a fairly narrow path to follow. I didn't get most of the achievements, but they aren't integral to the story and it would take considerable random clicking to unlock most of them. There were a lot of passages that required imagination and ingenuity to solve; it reminded me of GW2 jumping puzzles or certain platformers. The lack of English dialog was, in some ways, a plus; it certainly wasn't hard to follow most of the conversations due to the cleverness of the drawing. Some plot twists were surprising. I certainly recommend this game ahead of most shooters I've played, mainly because of the emotional dynamics. Expand
  42. Sep 5, 2013
    this game is like smack on the face to many other AAA big games. control is simple gameplay is simple, but it offers a great experience. (-1 for not much replay value) visual and the story just draws your emotion right from the start till the end. this is not a main stream game but if you like the journey on PS3 this is a game for you. plus gamepad is highly recommended. since at first ithis game is like smack on the face to many other AAA big games. control is simple gameplay is simple, but it offers a great experience. (-1 for not much replay value) visual and the story just draws your emotion right from the start till the end. this is not a main stream game but if you like the journey on PS3 this is a game for you. plus gamepad is highly recommended. since at first i used keyboard to play but seems a little glitchy, switch to a gamepad then everything works prefectly fine. good jobs on the developer you just earn a fan Expand
  43. Dec 15, 2013
    First use an xbox controller to play this game as I don't think it would be possible using the mouse and keyboard. Using the controller is very smooth and makes you really think to control what is going on.

Second this game is not hard; but it is amazingly creative, wonderfully beautiful, and just incredibly done. It is so outside the norm that it really should be experienced by all.

Third there is no comprehendable dialog in the game and no direction provided, you just have to logically figure things out. This is a huge part of what made this game great.

It only took me three hours to get through the game, but for the price it was absolutely perfect (just enough to really impress, yet not too much to drag on or get repetitive). This really is a studio to watch if they can maintain this level of creativity & quality.
  44. Aug 18, 2014
    Can't say I enjoyed the game gameplay wise. Too repetitive and automated. The story is Ghibli-grade but the lack of voice acting and dull environments(great ideas, just not enough color and detail) killed it for me.
  45. Dec 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Masterpiece
    emotional
    beautiful atmosphere
    single player co-op
    fills the void of elder brother and takes it away
    must play Gamers
    best indie game of 2013
    like Limbo
  46. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun...
  47. Oct 22, 2013
    For such a short indie game this a very good game and experience and a must buy for a Steam sale. The only con is of course its length as the game is very short but maybe with its great success it will be expanded upon.
  48. Sep 5, 2013
    This game was very good, great visuals, good story and unique interesting game play. I really did not expect to be impressed with this one and was rather skeptical of the 'single player co-op controlling 2 characters at once, but it was done very well and imo it was great to see something new and innovative in a game like this, it offered many new challenges and ways to deal with them. allThis game was very good, great visuals, good story and unique interesting game play. I really did not expect to be impressed with this one and was rather skeptical of the 'single player co-op controlling 2 characters at once, but it was done very well and imo it was great to see something new and innovative in a game like this, it offered many new challenges and ways to deal with them. all around great game, check it out you wont be let down. The only downside was the length was rather short only taking approx 3 hours to finish. but still well worth it Expand
  49. Sep 27, 2013
    I recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a videoI recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a video game.

That being said, I didn't find any other aspect of this title to be particularly noteworthy or enjoyable. The puzzles are extremely simplistic and I was never, even for a moment, at loss as to how to proceed. This simplicity might lead one to think that this might be a good game for kids, but the grim tone and surprisingly gruesome middle section quickly put that idea to rest.

I question the decision to implement a made up "language" for the characters to use to express themselves. I think it badly detracts from the seriousness of the story. I would have preferred either no dialog at all (pantomime would probably have been sufficient) or some concise dialog/narration in a real language. Perhaps something written in a fairy tale style would have fit the mood of the game perfectly.

Finally, I have to take major issue with the ending. I think the developers were going for grand operatic tragedy, but because of the complete lack of characterization things fall completely flat. The shrill and melodramatic music that underscores "big" moments makes the lack of true drama all the more obvious and jarring.

I'm sure many people will enjoy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but based on my own taste in games and art I don't find anything to recommend here.
  50. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  51. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A mustThis is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A must play. A game you will never forget. Expand
  52. Mar 18, 2014
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. OverallI would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. Overall though, the game itself doesn't feel that rewarding. The puzzles are fairly simple and the execution of them similarly so. What it does have is a fantastic mysterious atmosphere which is maintained by the surreal backdrops and the absence of understandable dialogue. However, to me the game felt a little bit rushed and I am justified by Steam in that claim as it tells me I have 4 hours in the game and that is having completed it once through. So the ending which is supposed to be touching and emotional doesn't quite hit home as I've barely gotten to know the two brothers. It seemed to me like the developers couldn't wait to get to the ending of the game and so the middle feels a little lacking. Where the game really falls down though is in some massive bugs which completely halted the game for me to the point where I had to google the solution to a puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game was broken. This was a common problem across forums and happened in two separate parts of the game requiring me to restart and redo some of the level. In a game so short these major flaws are hard to look past. There was also a third issue where I had to switch from using a controller to the keyboard even though the game had a warning saying that it required a controller to play. The reason I had to switch was because a part of the game was literally impossible using an Xbox 360 controller. Again I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to beat the puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game wouldn't let me progress. As well as that of course, I had to relearn how to control the game with the keyboard just so I could get past that part of the game, talk about shattering the immersion. So overall, it's a quaint little concept but it was extremely poorly executed and for a game which took around 4 hours to beat including time wasted due to bugs, it's hard to forgive such major issues. Expand
  53. Oct 22, 2013
    I had read reviews saying that this game had a great emotional story. And although the end tries to be very emotional it fails to deliver thanks to some plot holes and a somewhat forced drama.
    But the great problem with this game is the controls. Not only is using two tumbsticks to control tow different characters, doing two different things, somewhat awkward but the use of the triggers for action makes it very tiring and painful to play for more than an hour.
    The game has a couple of interesting puzzles, but nothing really inspiring. They are just there and end up being more of a chore, than a challenge.
    By the time I was finishing the game, I could only think about the awkward controls, the pain on my fingers and the plot holes, to even care about the drama.
  54. Dec 10, 2013
    Got my attention after seeing the trailer and I have to admit it, it was much better than expected. The stunnig art direction makes the enviroment so jaw dropping that you will be wondering how a low budget game could have done it. The pace of the game is so well implemented that you could go through the entire game at the first try, wishing the 2-3 hours spent could have lasted for aGot my attention after seeing the trailer and I have to admit it, it was much better than expected. The stunnig art direction makes the enviroment so jaw dropping that you will be wondering how a low budget game could have done it. The pace of the game is so well implemented that you could go through the entire game at the first try, wishing the 2-3 hours spent could have lasted for a milenium. And ohh the gameplay, controling the two brothers was a very interesting and inovative experience. also the way you solved those simple but very rewarding puzzles with them was awesome! The narrative apparently was based on norse mythology and the director, Josef Fares as a swedish film director, couldnt be a better choice. The story gets very emotional during their quest to save their father, confrontantig many things on their way, and at the end you will be touched! Get this awe inspiring video game, because I freaking doubt that you will dislike! Expand
  55. Nov 4, 2013
    I am not known for being emotional but i have to say.. one of the great games of this century. lets look at it.. graphics are nice, but not massive AAA quality.. storyline is objectively seen not bad, but certainly seen better thought out stories, its quite a short game and the replayability is close to 0.. still.. its the best game ive ever played. At start you may not know why but afterI am not known for being emotional but i have to say.. one of the great games of this century. lets look at it.. graphics are nice, but not massive AAA quality.. storyline is objectively seen not bad, but certainly seen better thought out stories, its quite a short game and the replayability is close to 0.. still.. its the best game ive ever played. At start you may not know why but after a while you get sucked into the story.. you will experience smiling, light feelings and rumbling emotions in your head.. you will also experience sadness, falls and confused moments... and without spoiling anything.. if you dont cry at last part of the game.. you are not human. Many people of which alot grown man have admitted to have tears either on theur face or welling up in their eyes. This game makes you go through alot of emotions and feelings.. and though you will not notice it immediatly while playing.. at the end everything will come lose and you will look back t the game and hope that all games will give you a feeling like that. Expand
  56. Apr 5, 2014
    All I will say about this game is, play it on your own in one sitting (2-3 hours). Stick with it, let yourself become immersed in the world. Enjoy it and see it through to the end.

I feel sorry for the reviewers on here who did not grasp the significance of the ending. Most will, however, and (although I won't spoil anything) I will say that no game I have ever played in over 20 years has had such an emotional effect on me. You have to experience it for yourself to understand.
  57. Sep 8, 2013
    Brothers almost the only modern game that can pass without getting any achievements. There is no open world, side quests, leveling characters, gathering equipment and weapons, difficulty levels and other things that we used to see in other current-gen titles. In this case, A Tale of Two Sons an interactive story in the best sense of the word. The story that will not give away from theBrothers almost the only modern game that can pass without getting any achievements. There is no open world, side quests, leveling characters, gathering equipment and weapons, difficulty levels and other things that we used to see in other current-gen titles. In this case, A Tale of Two Sons an interactive story in the best sense of the word. The story that will not give away from the game until the screen will not run the final credits. Expand
  58. Jan 7, 2014
    Brothers may not be as cool, complex, thrilling and long as the Bioshock or the Arkham games (personal favourites of mine) but it is still a perfect game that everyone should at least try once in their lives. The reason I find it a perfect game is because unlike almost all games, there is no way to recreate this as a film and feel the same emotions. By controlling the two brothers at allBrothers may not be as cool, complex, thrilling and long as the Bioshock or the Arkham games (personal favourites of mine) but it is still a perfect game that everyone should at least try once in their lives. The reason I find it a perfect game is because unlike almost all games, there is no way to recreate this as a film and feel the same emotions. By controlling the two brothers at all times, the player is made more aware of his interaction with the characters and what happens on screen. It also forces the player to build new muscle memory which comes into play within the game’s narrative at the very end. That this game succeeds at merging this new gameplay mechanic with its narrative flawlessly is the reason I deem this game perfect. It attempts one thing, just one, but it perfects it. Definitely an example of quality over quantity, considering the very short length. I do not mind the short length though, since it makes it feasible to play the game in one sitting, giving the player a full arc with its controls, mirroring the character arc of the younger brother.
    The game also happens to be beautiful and smooth. Someone watching you play could easily believe this is an animated film. All the elements on the screen blend together perfectly and you truly feel you are commanding an epic yet personal journey as it unfolds before your eyes. There is no combat, only some simple puzzles, but the game does not want to overload the player with more difficulty due to the fact that growing comfortable with the controls is the main difficulty in this game. This gives the game a nice momentum and pace, never giving you a reason to set the controller down. Of all the games out there, I believe this is the one which truly shows the potential of this medium as an artform and that is the reason I would give this game a 10.
  59. May 22, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediatelyBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediately obvious solutions (normally the only thing that looks like it can be interacted with). The lack of characterization renders the later portions of the game, which I'm sure were meant to be emotional and hard-hitting, laughable; the fact that the characters express themselves using a made-up language does not help either. The only good thing about the game are the graphics, which are quite pretty indeed, although they do suffer from asset-reuse: I have come across 5 identical broken ladders throughout the game. Expand
  60. Jan 3, 2015
    Wow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought theWow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought the lenght of the game was perfect, clocking in at about three hours. Expand
  61. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape. Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  62. Mar 16, 2014
    Probably one of the most beautiful Indie games I've ever played. And I'm not solely talking about the graphics and the scenery, but also about the atmosphere and the lovable main characters. I haven't been as touched by a game in a long time, and man, did the ending leave me in a one big pile of emotions.

The game is short, but it's three hours well spent.
  63. Nov 1, 2013
    The gameplay is very simple, and a bit of a novelty, but play to the end and you'll understand the artistry of it. Keyboard controls work, but was designed and works best with a gamepad. It's a much darker game than I was expecting, but one filled with stunning beauty and a bit of humor too. My one complaint is that I wish it were longer. It's a short but bittersweetThe gameplay is very simple, and a bit of a novelty, but play to the end and you'll understand the artistry of it. Keyboard controls work, but was designed and works best with a gamepad. It's a much darker game than I was expecting, but one filled with stunning beauty and a bit of humor too. My one complaint is that I wish it were longer. It's a short but bittersweet fantsy-adventure-puzzle game that will probably haunt you. Well worth the small price if you're not someone totally averse to a bit of melancholy. A warning: if you've ever lost someone close to you, there's probably something in this game that will be an emotional trigger. Expand
  64. Oct 30, 2013
    Easily one of the most beautiful and innovative games I've ever played!
    A fantasy adventure like none I've played before with stunning visuals and a fantastic sound track.

You have to play that.
  65. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary.I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  66. Jan 20, 2014
    OMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 andOMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 and 9) were screaming out loud on some parts they were so scared but then when we made it through a challenge we were all screaming for joy!! We played from around 11 am through 8 pm and just could not stop playing until we had finished it!! One used a controller and the other was on keyboard (big sister/little sister just like the brothers). It was just a fantastic family experience!! We'll probably start a new game when they come back over again we had so much fun. Many kudos 505 Games!!! Expand
  67. Dec 16, 2013
    I think this is the best thing that has ever happened to me since playing Sanitarium. I promise you that you will drown in an ocean of feels after playing this. That masterpiece made me cry like a little baby with it's brilliant story-telling and character development. Bravo.
  68. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a gem. i didn't expect to like it so much. The story and ending are simply amazing. I recommend this game to anyone who likes a good adventure. The game is only 3 hours long and there is not too much of a challenge but overall it's an awesome experience. i enjoyed this more than any of these recent blockbuster games. Yes it's that good. 9/10
  69. Oct 16, 2013
    Wow, ‘Brothers’ is seriously on the best best games in the history of gaming. It’s a ‘Grim Fandango’, a ‘The Longest Journey’, a ‘Deus Ex 1’. A game that has made gameplay progress, while offering a great execution at the same time. A 10/10 without hesitation, even if it weren’t as perfectly executed and even if the length is not spectacular.
  70. Feb 5, 2014
    A breath taking game. Even though there is no language you still can be connected with the story more than ever. Worst thing about the game is that it is short.
  71. Feb 13, 2014
    Best Game Of 2013. Nevermind that, this is the best game of all time. Forget Half Life 2, forget Bioshock or forget GTA V. This game knows how to play with your emotions. Never once a game made me to wish if we could change a part of the game. Never once a piece of Media ever made me drop manly tears from my eyes. This game could do it. This is more than a game. This is a piece of art.
  72. Nov 1, 2014
    Visually stunning with a unique game mechanic that has you flowing through a norse fairytale while giving your coordinative skills a sweaty workout.

To me, the story was quite meh. But I have friends who almost shed tears on their playthrough, so the quality of the story seems to be a case of who you are and what mood you're in. However, this games real trait is being a quick, coordinative, beautiful adventure, and I couldn't demand for it to have a much more fleshed out storytelling in the short time it takes to play it through. Just great!
  73. Dec 31, 2013
    Brothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as itsBrothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as its the only moment where the game takes advantage of the unique gameplay style.

Otherwise, the game treats the two characters with independently, which flies in the face of the supposed meaning of the game. Why create this odd control style and never deliver unique mechanics? The game plays like a million other puzzle platformers, which is a shame considering the potential.

The ending has a great mechanics-as-metaphor moment, and it feels like the entire game was a setup for that one well-done moment. That said, it's incredibly predictable and intensely cloying. It's a short game as well: my playthrough clocked in at about two hours.

Overall, it has a few memorable moments, but the whole experience feels amateur. It's as if the team saw the success of Journey and Bastion and decided, "Yeah, let's do a game like that."
  74. Sep 28, 2013
    I loved it, the game conveys a powerful story without saying a word in any actual language, go play it f you haven't already, there's nothing quite like it out there
  75. Jul 7, 2014
    Just finished it. It was an amazing journey. Loved the level design, puzzles but the overall heart of it. The art is beautiful, environments are beautiful. Controls can be awkward at time but playing with a controller might help.
  76. Sep 4, 2013
    Great, though short game. This game is probably for those age 12 and 15, though the emotional story is powerful and would appeal to adults as well. My concern is that the price point is too high for a game of this length (about three hours), and its appeal to an English audience and keyboard users. Though I selected the English tab on startup I did not see any subtitles, nor hear anyGreat, though short game. This game is probably for those age 12 and 15, though the emotional story is powerful and would appeal to adults as well. My concern is that the price point is too high for a game of this length (about three hours), and its appeal to an English audience and keyboard users. Though I selected the English tab on startup I did not see any subtitles, nor hear any English being spoken. You don't really need any spoken dialogue to follow the story, which is a lot like the non-sanitized German children's stories I heard/read growing up. Again well written/designed game. Expand
  77. Oct 27, 2013
    Graphically, this is the most beautiful game I have ever played. The music is also beautiful. I was disappointed with how the story turned out but despite that, the game absolutely amazed me.
  78. Sep 14, 2013
    Brothers is an adult fairy tale masked as a video game. That being said, it is an EXCELLENT fairy tale with truly original game play with platform mechanics. The art design is top notch. What's even more compelling is that the story is laid out to the play with zero dialogue either written or heard. Everything from plot to game play is communicated through flawless level design, andBrothers is an adult fairy tale masked as a video game. That being said, it is an EXCELLENT fairy tale with truly original game play with platform mechanics. The art design is top notch. What's even more compelling is that the story is laid out to the play with zero dialogue either written or heard. Everything from plot to game play is communicated through flawless level design, and humorous and ingenious charades by in-game characters.

The style of game play should me mentioned, of course. Each brother is controlled (a controller is a must) by a thumb-stick. It is a challenge for a few minutes, but becomes surprisingly intuitive quickly. What could be gimmicky is actually a truly original concept executed flawlessly.

Get this game!!!
  79. Oct 10, 2013
    a little hidden gem in the world of videogames, a title that can be considered a true artwork, a masterpiece that can thrill you from start to finish. A plot that can keep you glued to the game for the duration of the story, although this is quite short, but given the quality of the game this is the only fault I could find...
  80. Dec 29, 2013
    Two minuses. 1st The game is too short. 2nd Too sad finish. Everything else in this game is perfect. Recommend to all except children cause of too sad scenario.
  81. Nov 1, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of those rare gems that is incredibly cheap, very short, yet manages to be one of the best games I've played in my entire life. You'll hit every emotion at full force playing through this thing and it's a fantastic experience that I would recommend to anyone with a working PC.

The 3 hours it took to finish this game hit harder and were more effective

The 3 hours it took to finish this game hit harder and were more effective than any 10+ hour game I've ever played (with The Walking Dead being the closest)

10/10 Easy...one of the best games I've ever played.
  82. Nov 29, 2013
    One of the better games I played in the last couple of years, I understand that this is an indie game, not sure how, but it is well make almost no bugs, (I restarted the game and it works fine) the soundtrack is amazing, the game plays is fun cool and unique, the story is emotional and cool, this is like taking the Lego games to a new barriers,
    Loved it, and it took me only 5 hours to
    Loved it, and it took me only 5 hours to finish, (and I'm playing very slowly)
  83. Dec 1, 2013
    I finished the game today and I for one feel like it was a game that would be better adapted for the movies or films. There was drama that some didn't realize., but it was there. This is a game however and it needs to offer more. There is little to no replay value. The game was linear and wayyyy toooo short. If I hadn't got it for a few bucks I would of seriously wanted a return.

The

The graphics, the audio(save for voice overs), and the gameplay were decent if not great, but it just was never meant to be a game; a movie or film, YES!

FYI parents...there is some extremely violent material in the middle; be forewarned.
  84. Jul 19, 2014
    It's a beautiful game with excellent soundtrack and a decent story, although somewhat cliché, it's still interesting on its own merits. There isn't too much action in the game except a few puzzles that aren't that hard to figure out and a few encounters where you have to "defeat" certain enemies.

That being said, it's a great game to play if you are in the mood of playing storytelling games where you basically have to imagine all the dialogue by yourself, which doesn't take away from the game at all. The game is very linear, which kinda cuts exploration down a notch with the exception of a few sections of the game where you can perform a few actions to get steam achievements. It's not a long game, it can be beat in about 3 hours and probably has no point to be played after you beat it unless you are a completionist.

It's a $10-$15 dollar game, but I got it on sale for about $5 I'd guess. It was well worth it, still better than a lot of crap you watch on TV or cinema nowadays.

Also, make sure you have a 2 joystick controller like xbox 360 ones because playing it on a keyboard is probably not recommended since the way the game was developed (you control both characters at the same time) kinda demands it.
  85. Oct 15, 2013
    This was quite an adventure with some emotional heart string pulling that is rare in games, or at least ones I've played. Each brother has a different personality along with strengths and weaknesses. So they compliment each other as you guide them on their journey. The graphics are great, with an artistic flair that's very unique. The musical ambiance fits well without being tooThis was quite an adventure with some emotional heart string pulling that is rare in games, or at least ones I've played. Each brother has a different personality along with strengths and weaknesses. So they compliment each other as you guide them on their journey. The graphics are great, with an artistic flair that's very unique. The musical ambiance fits well without being too overpowering.

I'd say the experience is worth $10-15. I wouldn't go further for the simple reason that it is quite short. If you take your time and enjoy a view now and then, you should manage about 4 hours. Those are a great 4 hours but still rather short by most standards.

I came across one glitch near the end but managed to eventually get through it. I think it had to do with path finding of the younger brother in the water.

All in all, a nice experience for a Sat Sunday afternoon.
  86. Sep 5, 2013
    I don't give 10's... except for this game. Yeah it really is that good. The story is amazing and after about 5-10 minutes it's difficult to put it down. There is no dialogue just some gibberish being spoken between the characters. Every character you meet in this game is amazingly thought out and the story just keeps driving you forward. A new experience in multitasking trying to controlI don't give 10's... except for this game. Yeah it really is that good. The story is amazing and after about 5-10 minutes it's difficult to put it down. There is no dialogue just some gibberish being spoken between the characters. Every character you meet in this game is amazingly thought out and the story just keeps driving you forward. A new experience in multitasking trying to control both brothers at once, and it's great. Expand
  87. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a fantastic game. The gameplay is pretty simple, just use the control sticks and trigger buttons to control the characters, but that's not the draw of the game. The art direction is beautiful, the story is simplistic but powerful. The title of the game carries throughout the game, except ******SPOILERS******* at the end when you *******SPOILERS******** have to bury your own brother. My lord, the game has you go through the actions of burying your own brother, the one character that you rely on to get you through the game. Very Powerful. Another powerful moment is when you get to the end and actually have to use your brothers controls to get you through certain obstacles you normally wouldn't get through. For those emotional elements this game gets a pretty high score. I did enjoy playing through it, although the controls did get kind of annoying sometimes by coordinating between the two characters. One thing I wish the developer did was create subtitles in the game. I understand they're trying to immerse you in a whole new fascinating world and may not speak english, but gestures do not fully communicate the characters interaction. Overall great game for the emotional impact, but not fully enjoyable because of the controls. Worth playing if it's discounted. Expand
  88. Sep 23, 2013
    A hidden gem, absolutely outstanding in all aspects. It tests reflexes, puzzle solving, and how well you can hold your emotions. The visuals are great, the sound immerses you, overall just amazing. The game is short, but since I've replayed it twice I can say the price is justified.
  89. Dec 6, 2013
    The atmosphere of this game is amazing the puzzles are not challenging but multitasking of both brothers is very fun, and hard to deal until you get used to it.The bond between the brothers in the game is so true that sometimes i thought of my own brother.This game is like a movie that you play in, I am amazed by the view of the benches, these views were great, and little things likeThe atmosphere of this game is amazing the puzzles are not challenging but multitasking of both brothers is very fun, and hard to deal until you get used to it.The bond between the brothers in the game is so true that sometimes i thought of my own brother.This game is like a movie that you play in, I am amazed by the view of the benches, these views were great, and little things like petting the cat, or playing with a kid in the game made me feel like it was a real life story that I was watching from the outside
    This game is great, every Adventure game lovers should play it.
  90. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brothers a tale of two sons, is a beautiful-looking puzzle-platformer that tells an emotional, bittersweet story. It is like a fairytale as told by the Brothers Grimm, with an unexpected sting and darkness to offset the blissful bits with butterflies and bunnies. At the start, we see how the younger of two brothers doesn’t manage to save his mother’s life. Then, as his father falls deathly ill, he sets off on a long journey with his older brother to a tree that may well hold a cure. Along the way, they run into various creatures and face obstacles that can only be overcome by working together. As everybody speaks an incomprehensible language, the story is told entirely with images and body language.

The game is blessed with an ingenious, yet simple, control-scheme, which allows you to control both brothers simultaneously. One with your left hand and one with your right. If you are lucky enough to have a gamepad, this means that movement is handled with the two control sticks (one per brother) and that for any context-sensitive action (grabbing something or chatting to a character, for instance) you use the left and right trigger, depending on the brother you’re focused on. Once you get used to it, this scheme works surprisingly well, though I did get confused now and then when the brother I was controlling with the left hand was to the right of his sibling. Apparently my brain was expecting my left hand to always control the brother on the left.

Most of the roadblocks involve pulling levers and turning cranks. Barring a few exceptions such as when the brothers go on a climbing expedition while tied together with a rope these aren’t exactly innovative, or intellectually challenging. But because of the way you are controlling the brothers, the execution is still interesting. The big incentive to keep going is not finding the next puzzle to solve but to see how the story turns out. The game is good at making you feel invested in the characters, the great visuals and beautiful soundtrack helping to draw you into this world.

Brothers is very linear, there just being a few places where you can deviate from the path a teensy bit to do something optional like reuniting a giant turtle with her kids. And there are no collectibles of any kind, which is a major plus in my book. All too often the pacing of a game is disrupted by the feeling that you should be exploring every inch of your surroundings to not miss out on something. Even if that something is actually completely irrelevant to the game proper. Brothers moves at a steady clip, never pausing long enough to bore, and it can be finished in a couple of hours. This is probably a negative for some gamers, but good news for people like me, who tend to be short on time and prefer an awesome short experience to a longer just-okay one.

There is an amazing moment late in the game where a little stunt with the controls nearly brought a tear to my eye. I can’t spoil the context, but suffice to say that this is the first time a simple game mechanic ever had such a direct emotional effect on me. The control itself as the narrative device that is something rare. Brothers is a game that won’t soon be forgotten.

@PopCultJunk
  91. Jan 4, 2014
    Stunning game. If you are the type who doesn't care for character focused drama, this may not be for you. This game is brief, but epic. I am almost at the end and it has been a powerful journey. Without words, a powerful story is shared. Joyous moments seem to end in tragedy. Dark moments are tinged with humor. The young brothers casually walk through horror, showing extreme maturity atStunning game. If you are the type who doesn't care for character focused drama, this may not be for you. This game is brief, but epic. I am almost at the end and it has been a powerful journey. Without words, a powerful story is shared. Joyous moments seem to end in tragedy. Dark moments are tinged with humor. The young brothers casually walk through horror, showing extreme maturity at the same time as youthful playfulness.

A very memorable game and a serious bargain, even with the short playing time, when it goes on sale on the various digital download platforms.

The controls felt unique. It took a little time to get used to controlling one character per analog stick. While the puzzles were far from complex, the novelty of the controls and the depth of the story made it all enjoyable to me.

If you are the type who wants to feel smarter than everyone else, this game could also provide you a chance to proudly rant that the game is overrated, blah, blah, blah. You all know the type. On a more earnest note, if you don't care for emotional drama, this game might be boring for you.
  92. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game. Beautiful landscapes and graphics, touching story, great characterization.

One of the best games I have played for a few years.
  93. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that everyone should play. It's gaming at its finest. Gameplay and story intertwined to give one of the best gaming experiences ever without even saying a word.

A controller is highly recommended.
  94. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is fantastic. Touching story and you never want to stop playing. You want to do all you can to make sure the brothers complete their goal. Great setting and game play. One of the best games I have played in a while.
  95. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is awesome. It's well made, there are a lot of cool puzzles for two characters, picture and environment changes often, so you will never get boring. And YES, you must control two characters simultaneously. That's not the greatest part of this game, but there are no other options for such gameplay. Unlike platformers like Lara Croft tGoL some of local puzzles are so bind toThis game is awesome. It's well made, there are a lot of cool puzzles for two characters, picture and environment changes often, so you will never get boring. And YES, you must control two characters simultaneously. That's not the greatest part of this game, but there are no other options for such gameplay. Unlike platformers like Lara Croft tGoL some of local puzzles are so bind to exactly two characters, so you can't understand how you never before had a game with such a great things. My god, I love this game. Suddenly this is one of the best games in this year. Expand
  96. Nov 10, 2013
    So....I'm here on Metacritic for the very first time and I'm writing a review because this game deserves it. It really does. I'm going to be quick, this clearly isn't a triple A game, it's something more. The particular thing here is how the gamer became the bond between the two brothers, not merely the one who moves them. Because of this, the connection between the game and the person whoSo....I'm here on Metacritic for the very first time and I'm writing a review because this game deserves it. It really does. I'm going to be quick, this clearly isn't a triple A game, it's something more. The particular thing here is how the gamer became the bond between the two brothers, not merely the one who moves them. Because of this, the connection between the game and the person who plays it became strong, really strong. And at last, well...this connection will be the cause of your ultimate depression.
    This game is something beautiful that will break your heart in many little pieces, but this is how real life is too: you will experience sorrow and joy with the two brothers in a way that isn't common today with videogames.

Definitely worth buying,
  97. gic
    Mar 26, 2014
    This interactive journey featuring touching story is an absolute piece of art that you would not want to miss. Breathtaking environment is backed up by a truly memorable music.
  98. Feb 17, 2014
    It is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, warIt is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, war torn battlefields, and frozen wastelands.
    But the true majesty of this setting is enhanced by the fact that you don't play as an epic hero. You play as a couple kids who are way way over their head. This makes everything feel much more threatening and magical then it would otherwise.
    The story is excellent, and told almost entirely through game play, with only a handful of cut scenes throughout the entire game. There is no dialogue because it is unnecessary. The story is simple, and in this case that is a good thing. It is trying to convey emotions and ideas, instead of complex political messages. So it only uses what is necessary to do that.
    What keeps this game from getting a 10 is 1 simple things. The first being that the PC controls without a controller are very poor. One brother controls with WASD and space bar. Which works perfectly. the problem is that the other brother controls with the arrow keys and the left CTRL. This gets to a point of actually being physically painful. Just hover your right hand over those keys and see.
    I imagine I could give it a perfect score if I played it with a controller, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
    I suppose the length of only 2-3 hours was another deciding factor in it. But really it wasn't that big of a deal, just that for most games I wouldn't think that I had spent enough time playing it to judge it, and with this I am already done.
    But the 2-3 hours spent in this game are pure and necessary. There is nothing that wastes your time and nothing that doesn't do what it is supposed to.
    It's the difference between grinding for 100 hours in world of warcraft and spending a few hours experiencing something truly special.
    If movie tickets are worth 17 dollars this is definitely worth 15. and you will leave this feeling something.
  99. Jan 10, 2015
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights" +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once +Good Celtic-style music +Dark undertones in an otherwise visually beautiful, bright world that were handled well Cons: -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy -Little re-playability -Lack of dialogue and
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights"
    +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once
    +Good Celtic-style music

Cons:
    -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy
    -Little re-playability
    -Lack of dialogue and character background ultimately worked against the story, esp. in the end
    -Clunky controls
    -Very little exploration
    -Short game that lasts under 6 hours

I received this as a gift, so I knew next-to-nothing about this game. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I wasn't terribly surprised that I rated it lower than the overwhelmingly positive critic and user scores.

The Brothers Grimm-like environments and the seamless transitions akin to Miyazaki's Spirited Away impressed me, but the bad controls and the simplistic, repetitive puzzles didn't. The good idea of controlling two characters at once was marred by the mechanic of often holding down keys to save them from certain death, which struck me as lazy and unnecessarily frustrating difficulty. I would've much preferred cutting down that in half or to none in exchange for intellectually difficult puzzles that required at least *some* ambidexterity.

The untranslated gibberish for dialogue was odd, and it did work at times to enhance the atmosphere and story, but it backfired in the end. There wasn't enough characterization and back-story and too many immersion-breaking deus ex machinas to make me feel more empathetic to the younger brother's losses at the conclusion, and frankly they--the characters and story--aren't memorable. I expected to have multiple endings based on how you interacted with the world, which was wasted opportunity. I did like the part where the younger brother had to overcome obstacles that he couldn't before on his own, but that sadly didn't reach the depth and impact it could've been.

I may replay in brief sessions for the atmosphere or as a brief reminder of how to improve stories for games.
  100. Jan 28, 2015
    بازیش خیلی خیلی خیلی خوبه بازی با گیمپلی متنوع و لوکیشن های متنوع و محیط های جور باجور و گرافیکی دل نشین و داستانی جذاب به هم توصیه میکنم حتما بازیش کنید بازیش عالیست

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.