8.6

1. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a gem. i didn't expect to like it so much. The story and ending are simply amazing. I recommend this game to anyone who likes a good adventure. The game is only 3 hours long and there is not too much of a challenge but overall it's an awesome experience. i enjoyed this more than any of these recent blockbuster games. Yes it's that good. 9/10
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    Great storyline, it speaks to me like no other game I've played so far. Really connects the player to the game and makes you feel something special all thru every second of it! Love
  3. Sep 27, 2013
    I recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a videoI recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a video game.

That being said, I didn't find any other aspect of this title to be particularly noteworthy or enjoyable. The puzzles are extremely simplistic and I was never, even for a moment, at loss as to how to proceed. This simplicity might lead one to think that this might be a good game for kids, but the grim tone and surprisingly gruesome middle section quickly put that idea to rest.

I question the decision to implement a made up "language" for the characters to use to express themselves. I think it badly detracts from the seriousness of the story. I would have preferred either no dialog at all (pantomime would probably have been sufficient) or some concise dialog/narration in a real language. Perhaps something written in a fairy tale style would have fit the mood of the game perfectly.

Finally, I have to take major issue with the ending. I think the developers were going for grand operatic tragedy, but because of the complete lack of characterization things fall completely flat. The shrill and melodramatic music that underscores "big" moments makes the lack of true drama all the more obvious and jarring.

I'm sure many people will enjoy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but based on my own taste in games and art I don't find anything to recommend here.
  4. Sep 2, 2014
    A breath of fresh air in indie game dev and gaming overall. Interesting story and deep connection to the characters, through beautiful art style and simplicity of play. A must play game...
  5. Mar 16, 2015
    If you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one ofIf you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original puzzle games that I have played in a while, and although it's not exactly the most difficult, the reward is in the storytelling. It's not easy to portray emotion in a video game without saying a word, but this game pulls it off in style.

While I agree that all video games, no matter how bad or good they are, are a form of art, this game is a shining example of it. Emotional storytelling combined with controls that make sense not only to the gameplay, but say even more on a narrative level, 'A Tale of Two Sons' shines the most when it comes to how we interact with the characters. By giving players the opportunity to control both brothers at once by utilizing the dual sticks on your gamepad, 'Brothers' takes storytelling through gameplay to a new level. This may sound difficult to control at first, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it and will often forget that you're controlling two people at the same time without much thought.

This game more than deserves the amount of praise that it has been given and I hope to see more video games that utilize this control concept. The art style here is fantastic, the variety in gameplay will keep you entertained the whole way through, and the puzzle elements although simplistic are incredibly fun when combined with the controls. The asking price may be a bit high for such a short game, but the next time this one is on sale, I would recommend picking it up to pretty much anyone.
  6. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary.I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape. Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  8. Jan 31, 2014
    Not difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the gameNot difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the game was more than move forward and press a button I'd enjoy it a lot more even the 'boss' fights that's pretty much all you did besides run around a little. Expand
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    Brothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as itsBrothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as its the only moment where the game takes advantage of the unique gameplay style.

Otherwise, the game treats the two characters with independently, which flies in the face of the supposed meaning of the game. Why create this odd control style and never deliver unique mechanics? The game plays like a million other puzzle platformers, which is a shame considering the potential.

The ending has a great mechanics-as-metaphor moment, and it feels like the entire game was a setup for that one well-done moment. That said, it's incredibly predictable and intensely cloying. It's a short game as well: my playthrough clocked in at about two hours.

Overall, it has a few memorable moments, but the whole experience feels amateur. It's as if the team saw the success of Journey and Bastion and decided, "Yeah, let's do a game like that."
  10. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun...
  11. Aug 7, 2014
    This is a truly Powerful Adventure Story Driven Game. It is a Masterpiece it deeply affected me Art Style is Gorgeous, The Narrative is Powerful, and the Gameplay is Unique. If you haven't played this your doing yourself an INJUSTICE I hope they make sequel to continue the Story I want more of this and I wish we had more games like this.
  12. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    Everything about this game is made to perfection, or at least close to perfection.
    The sounds are great, the aesthetics are great, the use of the control is amazing.
    The characters represent emotion perfectly.

have to say though, the gameplay is potentially boring.
  14. Jan 16, 2014
    The game is fun, no question about that. I even bought an X-Box Controller just for this, as my old PS2 controller wouldnt work. But whatever, I'm not gonna rate the game on this.

It is, however, pretty much overhyped, I think. The ending was just awesome, but most of the game before that didn't feel that special. Just a plain adventure, not much better than other games. Had some highlights, yes.

I think, I never really got into it or I had to big expectations with everyone saying "Best Game 2013".

Still enjoyable, but don't expect the best game ever.
  15. Jul 20, 2014
    Great visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get itGreat visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get it on sale, otherwise $15 seems a little steep. Expand
  16. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Perfectly intertwined story, theme, and gameplay
    + Unique hook with engaging ramifications
    + Amazing levels with inspired and gripping set and action pieces
    ? Somewhat random story that mostly works in spite of no actual dialog
    - A reverse deus ex machina ending that feels cheap after the adventure ends
  17. Dec 1, 2013
    I finished the game today and I for one feel like it was a game that would be better adapted for the movies or films. There was drama that some didn't realize., but it was there. This is a game however and it needs to offer more. There is little to no replay value. The game was linear and wayyyy toooo short. If I hadn't got it for a few bucks I would of seriously wanted a return.

The

The graphics, the audio(save for voice overs), and the gameplay were decent if not great, but it just was never meant to be a game; a movie or film, YES!

FYI parents...there is some extremely violent material in the middle; be forewarned.
  18. Feb 2, 2017
    It took me about 3 hours to play through this, and left me feeling rather indifferent as the credits rolled. I liked the scenery, visuals and various locales but those are the only aspects of the game I felt were particularly strong. The biggest drawback for me was how heavy handed all the tragedy was, which I guess is why I couldn't really take the whole thing seriously with charactersIt took me about 3 hours to play through this, and left me feeling rather indifferent as the credits rolled. I liked the scenery, visuals and various locales but those are the only aspects of the game I felt were particularly strong. The biggest drawback for me was how heavy handed all the tragedy was, which I guess is why I couldn't really take the whole thing seriously with characters constantly dropping onto their knees and bursting into tears all the time. Mix this in with a melodramatic soundtrack and the result was me rolling my eyes at how hard the game was trying to make me sad. Now, I'm not heartless (mostly) since there are games that have put me on the verge of tears, but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons wasn't one of them. Besides that little rant, all other aspects of the game are pretty functional and adequate. Expand
  19. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  20. Jun 4, 2017
    Simplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, butSimplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, but as the developer's recognition of its game's own pacing, maximising immersion, and minimising the frustration for the casual players the game is clearly intended for. Expand
  21. Jan 17, 2015
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a small Adventure game based on two brothers, who after losing their mother, must go on a quest to retrieve something to help their sick father. A usually simple premise. However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and triggers are dedicated to each brother, while if playing via keyboard, the WASD keys control one and the arrow keys control the other. There is very much a sense of trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, using these controls. At first, while travelling the world is relatively easy, you may struggle but soon you get used to it.

The world itself is beautiful to wander around. It looks like an oil painting come to life, with many inhabitants and objects available to interact with in both humerus and very moving ways. They breathe a certain kind of life in this game that only few games actually achieve. The landscapes become more and more epic as you progress. One certain area (and how you manoeuvre this area) left my mouth agape for it's entirety. You'll know which one this is.

Although it starts out almost child-like, the themes become very dark, quite quickly. You'll stumble across some helpless individuals, which require assistance. The story-telling of these, even though the dialogue is not a known language, can be an emotional experience.

And emotions run very high in this game. I completed this in one 3 hour setting (recommended), and 3 days later, it is still sitting with me. Towards the end, you might even find it hard to continue due to it's emotionally draining circumstances.

Definitely one of the best Indie games I've played.
  22. ndr
    Oct 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I ever played. The story is incredible, the mechanics are so easy to learn but sometimes tricky to master. Graphics and music is awesome!

Truly amazing!
  23. Sep 5, 2013
    this game is like smack on the face to many other AAA big games. control is simple gameplay is simple, but it offers a great experience. (-1 for not much replay value) visual and the story just draws your emotion right from the start till the end. this is not a main stream game but if you like the journey on PS3 this is a game for you. plus gamepad is highly recommended. since at first ithis game is like smack on the face to many other AAA big games. control is simple gameplay is simple, but it offers a great experience. (-1 for not much replay value) visual and the story just draws your emotion right from the start till the end. this is not a main stream game but if you like the journey on PS3 this is a game for you. plus gamepad is highly recommended. since at first i used keyboard to play but seems a little glitchy, switch to a gamepad then everything works prefectly fine. good jobs on the developer you just earn a fan Expand
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    A classic through and through. Hard to fault this game to be honest and wholly justifies it's high praise. Started and finished in one sitting just shy of 4 hours (I paced myself as I didn't want it it end). Will I play it again? Probably not for a few years at least. Even with that in mind, I highly recommend anyone give this a bash as it's worth your money and your time. Enjoy.
  25. Oct 22, 2013
    For such a short indie game this a very good game and experience and a must buy for a Steam sale. The only con is of course its length as the game is very short but maybe with its great success it will be expanded upon.
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    Artistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although aArtistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although a different language) and music is very well done. Expand
  27. Oct 2, 2013
    A game like no other.
    That is a statement I can say and be true with this game, having to control two characters is a breath of fresh air and provides some great unique moments.
    A game like no other.
    The journey this game takes you on is pretty fantastic, its lasts about 3 hours and is really well paced with no parts that will bore you. The game is mainly summed up of puzzles which will require you to use the characters at the same time in order to progress which is pretty daunting at first and takes a little time to get used to but once you do its really fun.

The game is also rather pretty, with some great vista's. To be honest its hard to talk about this game without spoiling the experience, its a game you need to play yourself and for the price you should. If you liked to play something different, you should play this.
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    I would be happy to recommend this game, but with a couple of caveats. It is beautiful to look at, really nice use of the Unreal engine, the story line is nice (not perhaps operatic or deep, but nice with some emotional tug), and once you start, you will wish to see it end. Just keep in mind that the controls can be fiddly from time to time, and the puzzles are easy and obvious.

I think

I think what stops me from giving it the 8-10 mark is that we're introduced to some beautiful ideas and lands in at least three chapters, but we pass through them and they're gone, with no note or interest in telling us more about these lands. This game could have been a much much bigger one if they had to budget to expand on each land, and then progress to the next. Take a note out of The Walking Dead series, and maybe do it as chapters if there's a Brothers 2. For me, the end felt rushed to, I wanted to find out much more about the earlier levels to complete the world story. And the make-up language limited them in giving the sons (plus parents) any decent backstory, I'm not sure it was a great idea, but I compliment them in trying.

All that aside, it is a very fine game, worth playing, short enough, and once you get the keyboard mapping good for your two hands, you'll have an enjoyable experience.
  29. Oct 30, 2013
    Easily one of the most beautiful and innovative games I've ever played!
    A fantasy adventure like none I've played before with stunning visuals and a fantastic sound track.

You have to play that.
  30. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is amazing! Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons touch my heart.Great controller and combination, suberb art-style and amazing soundtrack.I love it.Best adventure-puzzle game of 2013.must play.

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.