8.4

1. May 8, 2012
    Cod4's immorally short 4 hour campaign has lowered the bar such that multiplayer games now feel that it is okay to settle for short, poorly made campaigns. To nitpick this game to death, allies always get into your way and absorb some of your bullets because they look like your enemies. Respawning enemies make the combat quite futile. There are a large number of mechanics that are usedCod4's immorally short 4 hour campaign has lowered the bar such that multiplayer games now feel that it is okay to settle for short, poorly made campaigns. To nitpick this game to death, allies always get into your way and absorb some of your bullets because they look like your enemies. Respawning enemies make the combat quite futile. There are a large number of mechanics that are used only one time, such as ONLY ONE mounted sniper rifle which is affected by wind. The game is determined to never calm down, making it even more frustrating trying to divine the developers' will as the game tries to stomp on your free will.
    The second worst aspect is the attack dogs that will tear your aorta out unless you press the melee attack button at precisely the right time, which I can never manage. You will be sent back to the last save point to keep an extra close watch out for the aorta-fiends.
    The worst part is the fans, which all sound like "y ar u runing intothe rooom sprayying bulets like that man? hav u no skil man???"
    Activision has since released about four copies in addition to all the competitors.
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    I'm sorry folks but this game is entirely overrated. People like to claim that this was the last good Call of Duty, when in fact this is not a very good game. My main beef is with the mutliplayer. In all reality, the singleplayer is great, and typically is with any Call of Duty game, but that's not why you buy COD. You buy COD for multiplayer, and this games multiplayer is terrible. IfI'm sorry folks but this game is entirely overrated. People like to claim that this was the last good Call of Duty, when in fact this is not a very good game. My main beef is with the mutliplayer. In all reality, the singleplayer is great, and typically is with any Call of Duty game, but that's not why you buy COD. You buy COD for multiplayer, and this games multiplayer is terrible. If it's not some kiddies with ACOG snipers tryharding, it's really bad sounding and feeling guns. The dedicated server system is trash in comparison to Black Ops or World at War. You are also stuck with only three killstreaks, in comparison to the newer games. The maps aren't too bad, and the graphics are standard among Call of Duty games, but I just don't like the feel of the multiplayer. This game is overrated, and even MW3 of all the COD games is better than this. Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is not a good game. The best parts about the game are the sounds (pretty good); however, the rest of this game is painfully average. Half-Life 2 which was released 2 or 3 years before this has similar graphics and much better level design and story. Another good point is that the game is length being short so I do not have to force my self to continue its repetitiveCall of Duty 4 is not a good game. The best parts about the game are the sounds (pretty good); however, the rest of this game is painfully average. Half-Life 2 which was released 2 or 3 years before this has similar graphics and much better level design and story. Another good point is that the game is length being short so I do not have to force my self to continue its repetitive gameplay. The bad parts of the game? well, first the game is completely uninvolving or say not interactive and mostly because of its linear story and average level design. This game consists many levels in which you have to shoot tons of enemies. This makes game extremely repetitive. Also there are no interesting characters in this game and most time it just direct the player to a certain way with no intriguing or complex levels. Yet the game really does not have any story whatsoever. The online part is okay, although generally I do not like this kind of mindless shooter. Collapse
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    A shooter made for the hanidcapped and babbies. There is no pre-requisite of aiming so I guess this makes sense. If hitboxing jockery is your sort of thing, then I guess this game was ok. But if you have any expectation of a game that requires skill and has a skill curve that rewards practice, then you'll be disappointed. Dumb.
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    Just irritating and annoying. This was my first intro to CoD. What a crock of bleh. If this game was written to show how miserable it is to be in war, it succeeded. The single player missions have semi random checksaves that force you to relive scenario after scenario even if you are literally backed into a corner. The NPCs scream the same annoying comments again and again and thenJust irritating and annoying. This was my first intro to CoD. What a crock of bleh. If this game was written to show how miserable it is to be in war, it succeeded. The single player missions have semi random checksaves that force you to relive scenario after scenario even if you are literally backed into a corner. The NPCs scream the same annoying comments again and again and then you have the sheer joy of quicksaves when dogs show up. Even with infinite reloads, this was just an unpleasant experiance I'd rather not repeat. Expand
  6. May 27, 2012
    This game sucks compared to all the other CoD's. I don't understand why people call this game the greatest Call of Duty ever. It's not! The campaign sucks and the multiplayer is boring with little killstreaks and perks. Not to mention the thosuands of hackers that infest the game.
    Not worth the money, get MW2 or Black Ops instead.
  7. Dec 18, 2012
    This is the malefic game that has started the most sold out genre of games. This is the game that has started two sagas, one of the worst sagas ever made, called Modern Warfare and Black Ops. If CoD 4 didn't exist, these 2 sagas didn't. Bad gameplay, bad multiplayer, bad-medium graphics, semi-good plot and OK sound. I can't say that graphics are bad/very bad because they're only on theThis is the malefic game that has started the most sold out genre of games. This is the game that has started two sagas, one of the worst sagas ever made, called Modern Warfare and Black Ops. If CoD 4 didn't exist, these 2 sagas didn't. Bad gameplay, bad multiplayer, bad-medium graphics, semi-good plot and OK sound. I can't say that graphics are bad/very bad because they're only on the other games like CoD MW2, MW3, BO, BO2, etc. Anyway, they're not so good, because this was out on 2007, and on this year Crysis was already out, which has much better graphics. Actually, I don't care about graphics, but, since I'm reviewing a game, I have to rate them. The gameplay is very slow and boring, and it isn't competitive. The multiplayer is closed (I mean that you can't make your own scripts, maps, gametypes, etc., like on Quake 3), and there's not SDK, etc. (OF COURSE!). The singleplayer lasts just a bit. You can complete it in 4 hours. Semi-good plot, because it can be good, but it's not deep. 3.75, for me. Expand
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    Ok, this game is just the worst excuse of an FPS. Bad graphics, small maps, no weapons, hackers, glitches, bugs, After all, this game is not good. This game got a high score because all the CoD fanboys thought that this was the best CoD, let me tell you one thing: It's NOT. There are much better FPS's with much lower scores that deserve a higher rating. Activision paid reviews good, IOk, this game is just the worst excuse of an FPS. Bad graphics, small maps, no weapons, hackers, glitches, bugs, After all, this game is not good. This game got a high score because all the CoD fanboys thought that this was the best CoD, let me tell you one thing: It's NOT. There are much better FPS's with much lower scores that deserve a higher rating. Activision paid reviews good, I see. Just a terrible game, from Single Player to MP. Expand
  9. Jan 10, 2011
    The game's single player is okay. Ordinary and uninspired, it left me bored half-way through missions. The graphics are fairly good (I'm not picky in that respect), but otherwise it was rather disappointing in terms of gameplay. It also felt too dramatic, but I've never liked cheesy action movies personally.

The multiplayer is bland and uninspired as well, but it dares to include an

The multiplayer is bland and uninspired as well, but it dares to include an idiotic RPG item unlock system as well, ruining any chance of the game being played competitively by new players. Only in graphics does it improve upon the experience furnished by Quakeworld (my multiplayer "benchmark" game), though that's easily counteracted by the unfortunate experience>skill system and a weapon set too focused on low-skill high-damage hitscan weapons, making the game much too campy for my tastes.

3 points for a mediocre single player campaign; 0 for a dysfunctional grind-based instagib multiplayer experience (which has drawn the gaming industry AWAY from the "right direction"); 1 for spawning a WWII-set clone/sequel with a decent zombie-killing mode in it.
  10. Aug 8, 2012
    I already reviewed the Xbox360 version giving it a 10, however in that case I have only played the multiplayer on PC, since there is no 'Find match' option, you are forced to look for servers, many of which aren't what you want to play, and are too many players in the lobby for it to be as exciting as the Xbox version, that and the fact that I have found some hackers, and the connection,I already reviewed the Xbox360 version giving it a 10, however in that case I have only played the multiplayer on PC, since there is no 'Find match' option, you are forced to look for servers, many of which aren't what you want to play, and are too many players in the lobby for it to be as exciting as the Xbox version, that and the fact that I have found some hackers, and the connection, even though it is all dedicated servers, is still flimsy. Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2014
    SP is a joke because it is way too linear and unchallenging; and the MP gives too much power to the noobs who can just run around and do almost as well as skilled players.
  12. Mar 28, 2014
    Singleplayer is a total joke. The SP is a linear rollercoaster from start to finish, enemy is stupid as a log, weapons offer no variety.

Multiplayer is skill-less punching around. You heal by sucking your thumb behind a cover, you have to aimdownsights and stop to hit **** you call killstrikes and use weaponloadouts. Noob gaming at it's best. Call of **** 4. This is the same as Call

Call of **** 4. This is the same as Call of **** 2. Copy paste at it's best. Steer clear.
  13. Jan 10, 2014
    Линейный сюжет, плохие русские... В мультиплеере нормально нельзя зарегистрироваться. Отсюда вот такая оценка. Хотя для запада война с русскими это уже традиция.
  14. May 29, 2014
    Mediocre game all things considered. While the game has some excellent set pieces and fun sequences it ultimately doesn't make up for the incredibly stupid A.I. and the extremely cheap deaths you will experience. The gameplay can easily descend into you picking off incredibly dumb enemies as they respawn and run to the same pre-determined spot over and over, even as their dead bodies pileMediocre game all things considered. While the game has some excellent set pieces and fun sequences it ultimately doesn't make up for the incredibly stupid A.I. and the extremely cheap deaths you will experience. The gameplay can easily descend into you picking off incredibly dumb enemies as they respawn and run to the same pre-determined spot over and over, even as their dead bodies pile up to the ceiling while your allies fire inaccurately at them refusing to push forward. When you do push forward the game becomes very difficult as enemies really only pose a threat at close range when you get in the way of their precious pre-programmed spots as you can easily find yourself taking fire from several directions at once, this wouldn't be a problem if friendly NPCs supported you when you advance, but since they don't enjoy getting turned into Swiss cheese. Like I said there are some excellent sequences, but ultimately the game feels like a few very talented people trying to make up for the incompetence of several others, and that is how the game plays, some good sequences trying to make up for some awful gameplay. Expand
  15. Oct 19, 2014
    Okay, let me explain my rating. This game was probably the greatest Call of Duty game I've ever played. The multiplayer was great. The maps were great, I played it for 2 hours straight once I bought it on sale on steam.

The problem is, that was the only time I was able to play it. Okay, so maybe it is my fault for having windows 8.1 and not checking for compatibility issues, and

The problem is, that was the only time I was able to play it.

Okay, so maybe it is my fault for having windows 8.1 and not checking for compatibility issues, and maybe I can't blame them if I'm trying to run an old game on windows 8.1. However, It doesn't work with me on windows 8 or 8.1 (Because I tried both). I will give it a 3 because of how much fun it was until it stopped working. I wouldn't have even done the review, but I wanted to point out to anyone interested that it doesn't work with 8.1 (at least for me).
  16. Oct 31, 2011

1. A beautifully crafted first-person shooter, but without a compelling context. How much does that matter? To me, a little. Not a lot, but it nags. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.
  3. It’s absolutely relentless in its assault on the senses and never lets up until the last trigger has been squeezed. The multiplayer is even better, with the perks and weapon upgrades acting as a balance to the lack of vehicles.