4.9

1. Nov 10, 2010
    An unplayable port - SP and MP. It looks 3 years old but eats resources like Crysis 7. Severe audio stuttering, deadly lags, server problems, gameplay breaking frame-rate drops on gaming machines well above the recommended configuration, laughable hodgepodge story... If they cannot somehow patch this load of manure into playability, I would not recommend picking it up even from the bargain bin - where it will pretty soon land. Expand
  2. Nov 11, 2010
    The game simply lacks fun. The singleplayer story is told through cutscenes. The only part you get in the game is playing with broken A.I's. Outdated graphics, and boring storyline.

With the multiplayer, despite the obvious lies and bugs, it is overrated.
    A basic game with small maps and a few guns. With the exception of a few graphical customizations which don't change the game play at
    all.

Wager matches would have been fun, if you could bet a decent amount and if cod points were useful in anything other than a new background for your playercard.

With the zombie mode, you would be better off buying Left For Dead 2. The only reason it was added was to boost sales.
  3. May 24, 2012
    While the game itself has an epic story and lots of flashes, the main issues of playing this game all goes with some rare bugs, glitches and server issues. Also the graphics are outdated. Even playing the zombie or skirmish modes require Internet access and that's unacceptable. Overall, a decent game that shall require lots of improvement to be made there.
  4. Nov 11, 2010
    Outside of the fact that the PC port is nearly unplayable in some situations, I finished the single player in a half a day. I bought a $60 multiplayer piece of junk. Never again, Activision.
  5. Nov 21, 2010
    Starting on a positive the single player of Black Ops was one of the best developed in the series thus far, however the storyline that accompanied it was a rather weak attempt at creating a dramatic drive. Perhaps it is unfair to compare it to the previous games of the series but I felt less pulled by the characters and the story than in the Modern Warfare iterations; placing the voice of Gary Oldman and various others in game is not enough to create compelling characters. The main upside to the single player was the unique action sequences, however they seemed rather tacked on and the remainder followed the usual mission formulas. Many complaints followed the initial release concerning the lag issues in the multiplayer, despite the fact that Treyark quickly made an attempt to solve the issues, it remained a rather inexcusable oversight on behalf of the developer and one that could have been avoided with the now industry standard of holding open beta programs. The available maps seem to lack a certain refinement, the layouts tend to promote a single class type, most often resulting in whole teams running about with SMGs. The maps were always at their best in the original Modern Warfare, which Treyark simply haven't followed up on, even their previous World at War had better designed maps. Again I'm making possibly unjust comparisons but the graphic quality of Black Ops seems to lack the detail present in the Modern Warfare games, textures do not seem to mach each other with various levels of contrast surrounding the screen making the together seem somewhat overwhelming. Perhaps this is simply because more color is present than Modern Warfare's standard grey, or if it is my own warped perception, all I know is that the graphics of Modern Warfare have always looked better in my opinion. Overall, while Black Ops has attempted to innovate certain areas, it remains incredibly similar to the previous incarnations of the series and as such will suffer from being compared to these predecessors, the level of which Black Ops simply does not meet. Expand
  6. Nov 15, 2010
    Best COD Version Yet, the only bugs i have encountered are from the single player, but this game is for multilayer if you expected to play this offline go get a gun and blow your brains out. the upside of this game is that it looks SEXY!
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    Lag in MP, slow performance, boring scripted SP, Steam exculsive, no LAN, no REAL DEDICATED SERVERS, nothing new expect the maps, lots of kids screaming around, I don't like this.

Game should not be released unfinished and without beta testing for the balance. This is sh*t.
  8. Nov 12, 2010
    as said before: this game has nothing realy innovating. the single player is very 'meh', IW does a far better job with single player campaigns. the maps are linear and the overal story is very confusing. a big 1 point to Treyarch for giving us dedicated servers, if the only worked well from day one... the overal graphics of the game are outdated, nothing special here. the gameplay itself is... treyarch style.
    just like World at War the gameplay is more 'slower' than MW2 and even CoD 4.
    this makes the gameplay less intresting but helps agains campers.
    the online gameplay is, for so far, balanced and fair.
    a very welcome feature is zombie mode,

overal this game is OK, but is nothing special to the call of duty series.
    it does do a good job of making a playable, balanced game but withoud some innovating fun features it isn't realy that great.
    if treyarch took care of MW2 after it's release from IW (to fix big issues that ruin the game) it would be THE single best multiplayer game ever.
    sadly thit didn't happen and BO is like the oposite of MW2: balanced but boring.
  9. Nov 18, 2010
    I think this game supports only mouse and keyboard on PC. Till they give me something more that is my PC CAPABLE OF, I'm not going anywhere near Call of Duty series, or anything from their developers/publishers lets say.
  10. Nov 21, 2010
    why do so many people hate this game? the graphics are not excellent but the gameplay is funny. i've had no problems at all. i haven't tested the multiplayer because i never do, but treyarch usually provides a good multiplayer. for what i've seen, this game deserves an 8.7
  11. Dec 12, 2010
    People love to hate whats popular. What it comes down to is that Black Ops is safe, but polished: What you should expect from a Call of Duty game these days. Multiplayer is a bit more balanced, but not perfectly, and its not likely to sway the people whose minds were made up before hand. Single player has a bit more innovative in the story, but not as well executed. MW2 was comparable to a Bond film, but Black Ops is just too easy to give up on, despite the entertainment of seeing some familiar, historical faces. Set pieces are wide, imaginative, and varied throughout, and though perhaps not quite as good as Modern Warfare, it has some top notch extra content to make up for it, however much Spec Ops is missed. Overall, if you still like being an army dude with real guns mowing down enemies while lots of **** blows up, Spec Ops is a great buy. If your looking for a game that shuns the safe blockbuster video game formula for something new and unexpected, you're going to be disappointed. Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2010
    "Overpriced, overhyped, pieces of crap... just rehash and recrank that old engine out and release it as a new game, and you are going to get nominees, you are going to get game of the year, you are going to get best shooters and crap like that"

I am seriously convinced that you critics are getting payed now, first GTA IV, then CoDWaW, then MW2, and now THIS! What the hell is this? Who the
    hell pays twice for the same game? This is EXACTLY the same game as CoD4. Just like CoD5 AND 6, there is literally more new additions in Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam, which is a 5 dollar DLC for Bad Company 2. In defense of this extremely bad game, CoD4 was an amazing game, I had some amazing times with it, so if you have barely played CoD or never played it, by all means go ahead and buy this, but if you already own another CoD that is the fourth one or one that is past that, DO NOT buy this, you are just going to be buying CoD4 again with a new box art. Expand
  13. Feb 12, 2011
    Call Of Duty : Black Ops was very highly anticipated by me, and other COD fans, but to my utter horror, the game ran absolutely terribly and was completely unplayable. A few patches later, the game still doesn't run perfect and has a few bugs, but is mildly enjoyable.
  14. Jan 11, 2011
    I can't play this game, the delay is just too much. Only when I'm the host can I get good scores. No servers for N-Europe, ridiculous and unjustified. With 60+ ping this game should have never been released where I live. Other than that the game is balanced sure but doesn't bring anything new, it's MW 2.5 with worse connections, player models, graphics, performance. The theater mode records barely half of my games, pointless, give me an option to disable it. The performance is still horrible on PC. The player models look like dwarfs to be honest. The maps are ugly, thanks to the console graphics. The console port is bad and the game shouldn't have been released for PC. The fonts are ugly, the UI is ugly, the menu is ugly. Killstreaks don't unlock you new killstreaks which means using nothing else than the top killstreaks is useless and boring: there's not enough interaction with killstreaks. The perks, killstreaks and guns are all copied from MW2, except they are now balanced. There are a few new gamemodes though which I didn't find interesting. Going prestige doesn't give you anything exciting or useful other than a few new classes to use and a 15x15 emblem, it's pointless. I have hundreds of thousands of money yet no use for it. The game lags unnecessarily much with decent pings, and the hit detection is faulty. The game isn't anywhere near worth the money. Instead of updating things that barely make a difference how about update the faults that make the unbearable? To be honest Treyarch isn't professional enough to launch a game of this scale and sincerely hope I never hear of this company ever again.Sadly there are even more things I forgot to mention here. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2010
    It's really sad that, of all the "professional" review sites, only a handful had the balls to mention the lag and matchmaking issues the game has at the moment. Perhaps they were too afraid to criticize the mighty Call of Duty/Activitision combo?

Yes, the game is nearly unplayable online now -- there is a lot of lag (regardless of the ping you have to the server, and how powerful your
    computer is). It really says something about game companies, when they think they can get away with releasing a product in this state and then patch it later. Expand
  16. Nov 12, 2010
    If you are going to buy this game, remember something. When Starcraft 2 came out it costed the same money and it offered you a great lasting campaign and a level WCG multiplayer. When Civilization V came out it costed the same and it offered you insane depth and game mechanics out of this world.

Now, this piece right here, costs EXACTLY the same, offering you HEADACHE, FRUSTRATION and a
    free dictionary of all the F*** words you know. Wanna buy it? Be my guest. Why dont you pay G. Newell more money, he cannot get enough to become a billionaire. ON YOUR TAB. Expand
  17. Nov 30, 2010
    Disappointing, buggy arcade shooter, similar to Cod MW2. Don't buy it - it's simply not worth 59 euro. Activision is just trying to sting us for money.
  18. Jun 19, 2011
    I Dont like this game at all. it is boring, it lags on my computer but i have good internet and my specs are, Radeon 5750 amd phenom ii x4 840 and 4gb ddr3 1066 it shouldnt lag on that .its boring, buggy and should be called "call of duy: Crap Ops.
  19. Nov 10, 2010
    Haha ! All " 0 " notes most probably comming from angry EA emplyess. I never saw game review form 0 - 10 :) Someone lie here. juanezos int19h smith Trabis All of those are just one review users. EA FAIL !
  20. Nov 14, 2010
    I waited about 5 days to post my review, because of the lag issues at launch. Now, Treyarch has fixed it (at least for most people) and the game runs beautifully. I have already put in 24 hours into this game, and find it a lot of fun to play all day (on multiplayer). The single player is what I've come to expect, except maybe a little less, from the other games. That's why my review is a 9. The multiplayer will no doubt keep me entertained for another year at least, the single player is lacking. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2010
    @ smith, Comparing WaW to MW2 is complete **** There was much less problems with WaW than MW2, and even asking why Infinity Ward did not make Black Ops is a no-brainer; 2 lead executives were fired from IW then over 20 people left to work for EA at the new studio that the executives went to. Do you really want a IW to make Black ops when there is no one left?? All you people who love IW are idiots, go figure out what your talking about before posting. Expand
  22. Nov 11, 2010
    I've got a pretty nice PC, but the multiplayer is almost unplayable. Single-player works, but the frame rate is extremely unstable compared to MW2.

How could Treyarch **** this up so badly?
  23. Nov 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Woha, lots of hate for this game. I have only tried the single player campaign, and I can honestly say its so far in the whole MoH & CoD line the one I enjoyed the most. Good playability, versatile, over the top action like a 80's action movie. Not a single bug encountered, good flow and nice graphics. (Playing on a i7 920 + GTX285) And finally some humour! (loved the Kennedy zombie part) Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2010
    Unplayable MP, stuttering like mad on C2D 3.0 with 4gb and 9800GTX card...even on lowest settings. Then there's lag issues, CTD problems....you get the picture. Stear clear from this junk until it's fixed.
  25. Nov 25, 2010
    Don't buy this piece of broken code, it's a waste of money. Multi
    player part is unplayable, and I really mean unplayable. Single player
    part is... well, it's a CoD, which means you just have to press a
    button now and then and that's it.
  26. Nov 20, 2010
    Call of Duty; Black Ops is phenomenal and easily fills the quality gap left by Modern Warfare 2. The Single Player experience is a work of art much like Call of Duty 4. You follow an American agent as he goes through torture and very surreal flashbacks. This game creates real tension and is even better than COD4s brilliant campaign which is a huge accomplishment. I can't praise the Campaign enough, it is six hours of pure brilliance. Plus you have the Zombie mode which is always good for a short break of mindless fun, even better if you can get a LAN game going. The campaigns only fault are a few poorly placed auto save zones and Teammates who only show rare acts of initiative and proficiency. 9

Now the Multiplayer and honestly BloPs delivers a fantastic package. Making a few fantastically smart changes, like the implementation of a credit system, which makes it so you don't have to get so many kills or head shots to get camo and upgrades and instead buy it. This change makes the class design easier, allowing you to just get what you want. Also on the PC we get back leaning and servers so get excited. The only issues are the typical some guns being overpowered and a delay problem on all servers, this doesn't result in symo-kills but it feels like your weapons doesnt shoot where you aim every so often. 8

Call of Duty Black Ops is a brilliant game and easily beats back the last two mediocre games in the franchise and earns a place as one of the better FPS's of this Era, check it out.
  27. Feb 8, 2011
    Don't buy this game, get MW2 instead. This game is bad in everything imaginable - Graphics, Plot, Optimization, Netcode. EVERYTHING. Singleplayer is WORST singleplayer in history of call of duty, game is written by incompetent coders, it will works slow on any configuration! While my machine is capable of running Crysis on good settings and MW2 maxed, i get 30 fps in Black Ops with almost everything turned off! Game is 100% cpu intensive, it does not uses your video card at all! AT ALL! I don't want to continue listing bad stuff, just save your money and nerves. Don't buy Black Ops! Expand
  28. Jan 18, 2011
    A hefty game which still has some lag issues, but if you focus more on it's campaign, it has a strong plot, all it's levels are pinned down to the plot. I know, it's laggy... laggy for those who want to feel the best experience in a videogame. Quite impressive how Treyarch is rolling out these updates in a fast pace. I'm looking forward for another Treyarch Call of Duty game, but what I really recommend as an improvement is to have a longer campaign, focus on the story, not too much on the action, one wrong step and the main point of the game is to shoot every bastard you see down the road. Try making a modern setting Call of Duty game. Collapse
  29. Nov 26, 2010
    Upon release, the game was nearly unplayable. After a couple patches, Treyarch has improved upon the game's flaws but there are still obvious bugs that need to be addressed. Aside from a buggy release, the game is fantastic and extremely enjoyable. Loaded with features, game modes, and customization options, Black Ops is the best game to be released in the series so far... when it works.
  30. Nov 13, 2010
    Modern Warfare2 was SO much better that releasing this in an insult to COD-players. Bugs, lag, and more bugs. I really don't believe the 'biggest launch ever' crap either. This 'game' is way sub-par.
  31. Feb 27, 2011
    10 for graphics. 10 for storyline. I don't play zombies but that was absolutely hilarious the way you did it so 9. 10 for game play. 5 for bugs THAT FORCED ENTIRE RESTART OF LEVELS! 8 for relatively decent checkpoint placement but not perfect. 10+10+8+10+5+7=8 overall.

Look, I dk about the MP, but if it weren't for the bugs, the single player was absolutely nothing less than amazing,
    so I dk what's with the Haters here. What more could you want from SP?? Expand
  32. Dec 19, 2010
    If you are a fan of infinity wards COD games i recommend you avoid this game, it just missing so much and has more in common it seems with Modern warfare 1 then 2, The spawn system in multilayer is horrible, you will die a lot from being shot in the back by an enemy who spawns right behind you after you take a few steps. After playing the great games made by the creators of call of duty (infinity ward) this game is just a huge let down to me. This is an indication to me that this will be another game series that Activision will drive into the ground because they want to shoot one out every year to make the most money out of the series like they did with the tony hawk series and what there doing with guitar hero series. The single player is alright, its pretty much like a Michael Bay movie, lots of explosions. If you liked modern warfare 2 I would recommend not getting this game, you will be let down, like i was. Expand
  33. Jun 4, 2011
    The devs did a horribe job with this game. The graphics are horrible so they can run on the consoles and it's an import from the console version. Very pathetic. I am not happy with Treyarch and Activsion and never do I intend to buy another COD game again. Not consider how boring the multiplayer is!
  34. Dec 26, 2010
    1) Cinematic sequences have already been seen in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 and in my opinion were better realized (with more suspense and heroicism).
    2) The soundtrack is very good, but the problem is the sound itself. I have not even read somewhere a comment on the weapon's sound, which is too "dry" (without reverb in indoor sequences and echo in semi-open levels such as roads). Also, many
    samples are recycled from old CODs (PPSH 41 and MP40 have the same sound of COD2). Even support for surround 5.1 is not so good. Bad Company 2, enabling the appropriate option, is in another galaxy.
    3) Black Ops graphics are a scandal nowadays. The game almost looks like Modern Warfare 1, which was nothing special. Particle effects are not so good and textures are low res. Level backgrounds are still horrible. This is because the graphics engine is very old. Even UE3 can do better.
    4) 6 hours to complete singleplayer
    5) Scandalous AI. Teammates do not defend us and just move from cover A to cover B.
    6) Still too many scripts and infinite enemy troops respawn.
    7) Too accurate enemies at high difficulties (they can easily hit us from far distances)
    8) Awesome plot and lovely flashbacks
  35. May 13, 2011
    Let's get this right out of the way: I don't care about the multiplayer, and I've never cared about any CoD multiplayer. It's just another run and gun game, I resort to Battlefield for multiplayer goodness. That being said, the Call of Duty franchise has always been about intense, cinematic singleplayer games ever since Infinity Ward debuted with the first Call of Duty. When Treyarch took up CoD 3, it wasn't that great or bad, it was just meh. With World at War, they started to experiment more and I felt it was an honest improvement over the past CoD WW2 games. With Black Ops, a lot hype from Modern Warfare 2 bled over and people were already ready to either love it or hate it regardless of it's content. I am neither a Call of Duty fanboy, nor a hater, and I will say this. Modern Warfare 2 should have never came out. This is the true CoD 4 predecessor. In Black Ops, everything you know about Call of Duty is flipped over. You mainly assume the role of one character and the campaign is in the form of a frame story, where you are being held captive and every mission is a memory in the past. At first you very confused, but as you go on the pieces start to fall into place. You start to suspect something is terribly wrong and the game violently hurls you into the center of the conspiracy. In form, the campaign is actually a typical action movie conspiracy plot. However, this plot works beautiful in the game to help you experience a wide variety of levels and action. You will be in a group trying to assassinate Castro, having a talk with President Kennedy, mowing down the Viet Cong, flying in a SR-71 Blackbird marking objectives for the team below, playing as the team below, making your way through a pitch black rat tunnel with a flashlight and a revolver, and piloting (YES, PILOTING, NOT JUST GUNNING) a Hind through the jungles of Vietnam. Every mission is exciting and keeps your heart pacing and sometimes you can just look at the scenery completely dumbfounded, knowing that these are all within the realm of realism and yet the developer chose not the bash the fact down our throats. In the end, if someone were to ask me if I liked CoD 4 versus Black Ops, I would have a hard time answering. Yes, CoD 4 was revolutionary at the time, but Black Ops has definitely renovated it and is overall a much more enjoyable campaign. If this game were released last year when all the hype was built up for the pathetic failure that was Modern Warfare 2, the reviews would be far better and people wouldn't be so skeptical. But release yourself from the cynicism that plagues the population and you will be treated the one of the best single player campaigns you have played in your life. Expand
  36. Nov 15, 2010
    Black Ops has a lot of potential to be a fun game. It's an improved MW2 from both single and multi-player standpoints. However, I have to give it a zero because the game was not ready for prime time. Three words define the gaming experience: lag, lag, and more lag (ok, it's 4 words). Even if they resolve the lag issue, I don't think the game will ever play smoothly on my PC as I have a core 2 duo E6850 (as per Activison my CPU satisfies the minimum requirements, but I doubt the game will ever play on less than quad-core PCs). Expand
  37. Nov 22, 2010
    So I'll have to edit this later probably as I havn't played the SP of this game yet. The MP is the selling point of any COD game and 90% of FPS games so I'll make my comments on that.

The gameplay is decent...I wouldn't say great. I think my clan is behind this game (i cant figure out why, other that the nostalgia of playing a cod title (we loved cod4)) so I will keep playing it.

The
    graphics are VERY dated and the engine as a whole feels like a mixture of Doom64, CS:S and WaW, which were all good when they were launched but this took the worst parts of each with the bouncy avatar movement, TERRIBLE textures, and overall cartoon-ish and cheezy graphics. It is so distracting at times that I have trouble playing when i have to stop and ask "is this really the texture of a bush????a GIANT blob of green????no details whatsoever??? after games like BC2, MOH, Crysis, COD4, and Ue3? (yes, i just said COD4 and UE3 games have better graphics, which i thought was impossible from a "new" game).

This game is a MOD that you have to pay $60 for. There's NOTHING new about it, and it isn't worth that. It looks like MW2 in videos, but it plays better than that thank god. It plays more like WaW, but with worse visuals. If they make MOD tools, maybe some modders can make better maps for this thing, but the ones I've played so far are very unimpressive. I gave it more than a 3 because the gameplay isn't terrible and there are HOPES of mod tools. Also, it's a backwards step from MW2 back towards allowing the PC aspects of a game to exist that we all love. It also, sadly, took steps back in technology and visuals. I don't know how they managed to make it look worse than their own game that launched 2 years ago, but they did. My only hope is that maybe with this step backwards, we can now head in a new "forward" direction and make better PC games learning from the mistakes of the past....hopefully anyway
  38. Nov 20, 2010
    This game was just as good as modern warfare 2 if not better.The graphics were macnificent and the storyline great, i only played the single player though but it was really another great C.O.D great experience and they still make M.O.H look like children!!!
  39. Nov 11, 2010
    This is not a PC game! This is a 60 â
  40. Nov 12, 2010
    To make this clear, this is not an Infinityward game, they are the ones who made the modern warfare series, and in my opinion are way better at it. However, Treyarch did a really good job this time around.
    The gameplay is pretty solid and the weapons and killstreak rewards are almost better than MW2 (Except no nuke!)
    They rearranged the Perks in a way, which I think, is way better than
    before. I can choose some of the perks that I usually had to compromise over. Stopping Power is gone, thank God, they made it so I actually have options if I want to do well. The return of Hardcore FFA and Hardcore Team Deathmatch is well overdue. Yes MW2 had HCTDM, but everyone hid, due to the spawn timer, and it was absolutely homorotic. There still is a spawn timer, but it varies, and sometimes you will get spawned right after you die.
    The lunch money (Yes I know you ripped off myyearbook!) reward system is a definite plus, especially if you're a good player, I've gotten well over 5k in a single match. And the customization and means to waste all that money is there and well worth it.
    The Map design is decent, but still not on par with Infiniward. Some of the maps almost feel identical. There are usually 10 different approaches you can use to kill someone, which is very FFA unfriendly. However, they do have some self-defendable zones and the maps are actually big enough to spawn safely most of the time.
    Private servers are back, which is good to ward off hackers and **** so far everyone is much more polite than in the MW2 servers. The downside is that if you are legitimately playing really well, you will often get kicked by noob admins and terri-bad clans.
    The Single player is not even worth mentioning. So far it just feels like Rambo. Give me something more realistic for a change. This isn't Black Ops, you aren't covertly making your way through the enemy, you just make your way to your objective, and then start a big gun fight all the way to the end of the mission. Their single player campaign has never been on par with Infinityward, it's a shame Activision chose to shank the good developer.
  41. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of Duty 7 in all the worst games of Call of Duty treyach the studio sold the games there are bugs out the games too fast.welcome too the jungle of lag Monkey ,

You buy that games you are a big Monkey if of vote for 10 or 9 you dont no whats is COD !!

The fist thing the most is MP in this games see all cod games all player buy thats for multiplayer too ave more fun whit it!!
  42. Nov 10, 2010
    Finally a game from activision with effort. This game has been well thought out, with improved graphics(Unlike the crap Infinity Ward makes). The story is gripping and realistic and multi player is just plain awesome this is the best COD game ever!! A must Buy
  43. Nov 11, 2010
    WOW...another epic fail...poor server connections...really crappy sound...seriously the ambient sound blends with the active sound (guns and explosions) to the point were it muffles it all...then there is the problem that the software was so unstable when you play online ..either you will crash the game or the server will crash.....wow next time use beta for debug .........Activision should just give the game away...because charging for this piece of crap should be theft!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  44. Nov 9, 2010
    Treyarch can pat themselves on their backs for creating such an amazing game. With their pass game history of mediocre games (CoD 3 and CoD WAW). They have set the bar high with Black Ops. Black Ops comes out on top of MW2 with vast improvements and most importantly, dedicated servers for multi-player. As well, the online RPG leveling system allows players to purchase which perks they like instead of having to work through a pre-determined list of perks. Beautiful multi-player maps, balanced guns, and crisp controls make the multi-player experience unforgettable. The single player campaign is roughly 7-8 hours of story-compelling, non-stop action. A game that can deliver a good story while making the characters feel believable and alive is a rare occasion. If you are a CoD fan, this is a must purchase. If you like FPS, but dislike CoD games. This is still a MUST purchase. Expand
  45. Nov 10, 2010
    Another pathetic money grab from activision. There's nothing innovative or fun about this version don't bother. Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version? Treyarch is terrible. Remember when they released World At War?
  46. Nov 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This title is copping some seriously jaded uses reviews. But I hope this honest opinion may help the decision, whether to purchase this title.

Multiplayer: If you've played a COD title in the past. You'll find the same formula here. It hasn't change much at all. Yes there were issues at initial release. But Treyarch have as always been ready to listen to concerns. And do what they can to rectify them. The wager modes of gameplay are nice. Good to see the borrowing them from other titles ie: CS and Quake etc...
    Theatre mode looks to be a nice addition. Although still in BETA.
    Coop: Zombies are back
    Singleplayer: Probably the only thorn in this titles side, for me. Was the total lack of authenticity in equipment used in it. This game spans from 1961-68, with a memory sequence in 1945. Sadly most of the weapons in it are not 60's era related. Many of which didn't go into production til the late 1970's. But it's a personal thing. That I admired about the franchise. Other than that, it's a sci-fi feel game(especially with the mini-gun sequence like in PREDATOR. If your looking for more of the same COD multiplayer your used to. Or a member of a Gamerclan then I'd suggest it. But make sure you can return it if you change your mind
  47. Dec 1, 2010
    IMO 2. best FPS of 2010 after BC2. I haven't had a single problem with performance, even though I think gameservers.com is one of the worst providers of all time. Camping is absolutely no problem in this game, the only people who even remotely suceed at camping are people with ghost, and even then just getting blackbird will solve that problem. I really love seeing all those goddamn campers with >0.50 score. The game is overall fairly balanced, there are a couple of the weapons that suck hard, but the rest are more or less equally strong, with the exception of the knife of course. Noobtube is no problem, flak jackets does a great job of making noobtube entirely useless, which I think is pretty nice :) Expand
  48. Nov 20, 2010
    I gave a review of this game in haste previously and gave the game a score of 5. After playing the game through and changing a few of the graphics settings I realise that the game is actually great and deserves a decent score. I don't know why so many people are giving the game a score of 0 or below 5, people will not take user scores seriously from PC users soon. (They probably don't already) The game, while offering nothing incredibly new, is fun and well programmed other than two or three small points in this long game. To say this is a port from xbox or ps3 is wrong, the game engine designed by Infinity Ward, which was used with this game, has always been developed for pc technology. While the multiplayer features may not be fully up and running on the PC version, it is temporary and will be fixed soon. The story line was quite clever and the fighting was great fun. The zombies additional feature is good fun but people should realise that the Call of Duty series is as much about single player fun as it is about multiplayer, if not more so. To rate the game 0 because the multiplayer features need some patching is ridiculous, I would like to see the guys who rated it a 0 try to create a comprehensive multiplayer expansion such as Zombies before they start complaining that it doesnâ Expand
  49. Nov 10, 2010
    This game fails in so many ways it is amazing that Treyarch and Activision released this. It's no wonder they spent tens of thousands of dollars pampering professional reviewers, there is no other way they would give this game a good score. CoD Black Ops is just a plain bad game.

Black Ops does nothing really new. The only real exciting thing about Black Ops is the extra layer of
    customization available for the online multiplayer. Dedicated servers for the PC version was a good way to win over the hearts of the anti-Infinity Ward group, but they should have probably done at least SOME testing, since it's obvious the server and clients just aren't on the same page. Using dedicated servers is actually worse than the P2P connections of Modern Warfare 2. As far as gameplay is concerned, it's the same ol' respawn and shoot 'em up. I really don't mind that, as I didn't expect this game to be anything different, but given its other flaws, they needed to do something new.

The multiplayer gameplay is horrid. It's far too fast, and the game clearly favors SMGs with fast moving kits. Let me stop here, and stop the flames, I played CS2 as a part of a tournament invitational team, played every FPS under the sun, and I would consider myself pretty damned good at shooters. The multiplayer matches are chalked full of guys diving every time they see someone, even if they come up behind them. If they are not whoring out their prone key, they are bouncing around like a drunken night elf. The weapons behave as far from realistically as possible. I understand realism isn't necessarily fun, but it's almost as though Treyarch just pulled some numbers out of their ass as to how these weapons act and how much damage they do. And why are knife kills from the front still 1 shot kills? Every other modern game has addressed frontal melee kills, but not Call of Duty. I like a little bit of realism in games I play, and this game is far from that at every level. I was in the Army, and have extensive weapons and explosives training due to my MOS, so I think I can safely say I know what I am talking about here.

The single player portion of the game does nothing new or different. In fact, most of the single player campaign seems ripped right out of Modern Warfare 1 and 2's playbook.

In short, this game's flaws are frustrating at best, and infuriating at worst. Black Ops multiplayer is far too fast and favors the one who can hit their prone key fastest, and aiming seems to do little to help, as the characters move inhumanly fast. Save your money for Battlefield 3, and this is coming from someone who got through all 10 prestige levels of MW2 and WaW.
  50. Nov 10, 2010
    Bugs and lag because they don't know how to program PC anymore just platform.
    I'm sorry but cod lost it's PC players already, just give up until you can get it right.
  51. Nov 15, 2010
    Call of Duty I like, but this part of my heart. I imagined the game differently. Dead Ops Arcade is very funny. It does not change my view of the game. Black Ops is a cheap substitute for Modern Warfare 2, but good remake World at War
  52. Nov 12, 2010
    Black Ops gives us the best performance of single campaign in last three years. Treyarch is developing not excellent graphics and innovative game play, but we can enjoy a solid action, a story, which does not irritate and firm trash moments that called to entertain us. And it works! Six hours of Black Ops are much better than equivalent performance in theaters. Only bugs can stop your satisfaction for a moment. But anyway, COLD WAR GONE HOT. Enjoy... Expand
  53. Nov 10, 2010
    Black Ops single player is far from a perfect experience. While it does have some truly stand out moments which help its case. The whole interrogation portion of the main story is jarring and inconsistent; this caused me never once to feel connected to anything that was going on in the game nor with any of the characters. It also should be noted that playing this game on anything more than Normal mode is purely an exorcise in frustration. There are times when you'll receive no updates as to that you're objectives are at all causing you to die repeatedly while trying to reach your way-points. Only after stumbling across them blindly do you get any sort of a hint as to what you should be doing. Your team AI is also absolutely incompetent, there were many times where you could be following one of your AI companions and they'll totally ignore rushing enemies only to have them appear next to you.and then melee you to death. This brings to mind the recent relaunch of Medal of Honor. Many times during the single player experience in that game my AI squad mates would call out enemy locations "Enemy at 4 O'clock, second story" which would in turn lead me to scope out that area and down the bad guys. This never happened at any point in Black Ops. If anything I felt they simply got in my way.
    By the end of the game I just wanted it to be over and I found myself only playing more to unlock the next Achievement and in my mind thats not a very good reason to play games. The multi player component of the game is where it really comes into it's own and is the main reason I gave Black Ops a 7/10
  54. Nov 10, 2010
    Unplayable SP and MP yet another fail just like MW2 and overhyped game. If there isnt going to be a patch soon now then this will be my last COD. And i will stick with Counter Source and the Battlefield BC2 franchise forever.
  55. Dec 23, 2010
    Biggest Dissapointment and Waste of money of the year. On PC this game is UNPLAYABLE. Locks up every 15 - 30 min even on a really good PC. Lags constantly and if you can get a party together to play Nazi Zombies then go buy a Lottery Ticket because you have some incredible luck. Campaign is pretty lacking as well as it was beaten on Veteran in about 10 - 12 Hrs. They really screwed us pc gamers over pretty big time with this because if it was a console version we could at least get half our money back by selling it. No such luck here. Just an expensive paperweight. I have had betas that ran and looked better than this game does in its Retail version. Thanks for being another company that dumps on the end user. I will not be buying any future games from Treyarch and I suggest that you take your money and buy games from other developers that continue to fix things after a games release and not just twiiter about meaningless crap. Expand
  56. Nov 9, 2010
    Damn, this is a great game! Ok, let's get serious. MULTIPLAYER is the STAR here and raises the bar for all subsequent games. Not only are there loads of new features, but all the details are well thought out and the gameplay is SMOOTH and WELL-BALANCED. It is WAGER MATCH, however, that blows everything out of the water. INGENIOUSLY CRAFTED and BRILLIANTLY EXECUTED, the WAGER MATCH MODES are INCREDIBLE FUN and SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE. The single player plot is intriguing and suspenseful and keeps you guessing until the last revelation. Altogether, Black Ops is an outstanding piece of work and NOT TO BE MISSED! In my opinion, this is the BEST CALL OF DUTY YET! Expand
  57. Nov 9, 2010
    Actually it is nearly unplayable online, even if you have a 30ms Ping! The game lags and everybody has problems to hit the enemy. Its a shame that every COD fan wanted this game, because of the dedicated server and then its unplayable, because it lags much more, than MW2 did!

A really bad start. If you want to buy it because of the Multiplayer, dont do it, unitl this problems are solved!
  58. Nov 9, 2010
    Score (85)

This COD is one of the best I've played so far, Treyarch have outdone them self. I've only played some of the Single player Campaign and they've put alot of thought into this game but there's also places that made me think back and recognise that exact part in the older COD's :) but it's doesn't matter they've put a lot of new stuff into the story.
    As for the Multi player, i
    like the mix from dedicated servers and steam :) i just love the new kill streaks :) Expand
  59. Nov 9, 2010
    Pretty disappointing this time round from CoD: Black Ops, dedicated servers that is only available in the States that disallows the asians to play with low ping, Average ping is about 300ms. Can't even create your own game excluding private matches. Sound effects are utterly terrible, you have Helicopter killstreak chaingun sounded like some silenced chaingun. Choppy FPS as what LassKnacken has mentioned. Unfriendly Interface that people can't even figure out how to invite another friend to a co-op game. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2010
    Stick with the Console versions because this is not a PC game. It's a port with one server provider, which is Gameservers. They are the worst servers to have. With Battlefield bad Company 2, those servers were plagued with server lag and horrible downtime.

I couldn't imagine a popular game like COD Black Ops being able to run on those servers, and guess what? It was unplayable. If
    Multiplayer is the only reason why you want to play this game, then don't waste you money. Expand
  61. Nov 9, 2010
    The first honest review on here so far:
    To start with I DESPISED MW2..it was literally the worst thing to ever have the CoD name splattered on it.
    I bought and played a few minutes of BO today (needs a patch to fix the lag issues before I can really play it) and it's better than MW2..but not by much. I'm bummed that the maximum ranked server size is only 18..but I can get over that
    considering how small the maps are.
    But I was at least hoping they'd have the firearms right. A vietnam-era M16A1 used 20 round magazines and was full-auto/semi-auto. The M16A1 in BO has 30 rounds and fires burst only. And as an amusing anecdote some 12 year old on the server I was on was flaming me and trying to tell me that I was wrong..that made my day.
    Planning on checking out the SP later tonight when I get the chance.
  62. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is truly disappointing in the PC version. It obviously is just a port from a console machine. Graphics below par, gameplay below par, shoddy multiplayer. Biggest disappointment of the year. Medal of Honor Tier 1 is far superior game and even that was lacking in comparison with BFC:2. This game would be a fantastic game had it been released 3-4 years ago. Terrible waste of money.
  63. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is absolutely unplayable in multiplayer. Constant network problems on top of the terrible FPS issues (there is already a post on the Steam forums with around 200,000 views). Whenever a player comes into view, the game will hiccup and stutter on even the best systems. Activision brought down the Tryarch Forums because of the complaints, what does that tell you?

How could they
    honestly not see the problems with this during testing? Expand
  64. Nov 9, 2010
    So assuming they actually make multi-player playable this game may actually merit a better rating, from what I have managed to play online on our clan server & others there is no "lag" problem its just a really bad programming problem that is hogging almost all of your CPU power. Now I don't have the fastest computer in the world but I should be able to play without FRAME STOPPING every 15 seconds! Yes I said frame stopping even my buddies running i7's with the same or better graphics cards do it too.(my thought is the in game theatre is broken and doesn't need to be there its a novel idea at best) Anyway I have not played SP yet, however I am sure it is solid maybe not the best but I am sure it will entertain me. I am just too fed up to even launch the game at this point. Oh and don't even start me on the problems with running a dedicated server or even just supporting the server you paid for.... Expand
  65. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. Releases like this spur on gaming piracy. Treyarch, I'll be illegally downloading your next release and seeding the torrent for the next 6 months. If Infinity Ward decides to come back and create another game, even if it's based off of a Jennifer Lopez movie, I'll take 2 copies for 80 bucks a piece.
  66. Nov 11, 2010
    Shaky release full of bugs that rendered the game nearly unplayable for many people. Thankfully the kinks have been largely ironed out and I can now say this game continues the entertaining lineage of the COD series. A worthy buy if you're a fan of first person shooters. Intense multiplayer action, reformed equipment upgrade system (you purchase them with money earned each round), compelling single player campaign; a fun time. Expand
  67. Nov 9, 2010
    There is no was that the Critics played the same game that I am now. Black ops is playabe to an extent, but its a very broken game. I cannot get the zombies to play in Co-Op at all, most of the servers lag out and there are multiple graphic glitches, the single player looks exactly like World at War. The multiplayer is fun when it works, but there must have been no beta for this game at all for this many ungodly problems. OK game if it worked, but I've never seen a **** release than this. Stick with MW2 for a month or so and buy this later when it works. Expand
  68. Nov 9, 2010
    Single player in this game is truly horrible. The storyline looks like it was written by someone who was consuming LSD in large quantities by watching Rambo 3, Red Heat, and other similar trash action movies. Maps are badly designed, and railroaded even worse than they were in MW2. Graphics is dated even on highest settings. Overall gameplay is like MW2, except even more repetitive and boring.

Don't even get me started on a handheld (!) minigun (!!) in a Soviet labor camp (!!!); flamethrower-wielding Viet Kong; and M4 carbine and ACOG sights in the hands of US troops in Nam. At least the previous installations tried to maintain some semblance of sanity... Oh, and guys? Can you please hire a couple Russians to do the voice-over next time? Whoever did it for this game, it sounds like the worst moments of Red Heat. For starters, It's VorkutA, not VorkUta, and the rest of it is way worse than that.
  69. Nov 9, 2010
    Even if you ignore the lazy and short SP where the game practically plays itself FOR you, you then still have a broken game besides that and all this at an outrageous price AND using the insidious Steam software. If this was a fiver, it might be worth giving a look. Right now? Don't kid yourself - if you call yourself a real gamer, move on.
  70. Nov 9, 2010
    The story is amazing!! It's a lot more easier to understand than the story of modern warfare 2. The multiplayer is very good, who liked mw2 multiplayer will like this too. One problem is that there are many lags on some servers, but if you find a good server add it to your favourites and you will have a really long time fun on this mode.
  71. Nov 10, 2010
    this game is great... video settings could use a few extra options, but i've had no trouble on a 2 year old machine. have also experienced a few server issues, however some online games go flawlessly. as with most CoD games, the single player could have been longer... the game could use a patch, tho i still intend to thrash black ops thoroughly.
  72. Nov 10, 2010
    Cod2 had been my favorite COD so far, but this tops that with ease. The storyline is good and a fair length. The multiplayer is very well balanced and lots of fun. They mastered the gameplay in this one.
  73. Nov 10, 2010
    Single player is horrible with same generic linear gameplay trying to tell a strory, but it falls in horrible ai and lazily scripted event with not even close ot enough triggers to make gameplay fluent and ai teammates to feel real. This is which breaks the flow of the game and cant really get into it no matter how hard i try. Same problems still exist to every cod game after COD2. Teammates keep emptying clips at visible opponents without actually killing anything until player finds the trigger which gets the teammates to move forward.

Multiplayer is very normal cod quality though making snipers unusable makes the game faster which is better in arcade shooter like this. The new game modes are fun but not enough to merit buying this if you already own mw1, bc2 or even mw2.
  74. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. I haven't posted here before and gave it a 10 by accident last time. Its a 7 at best. Only because of single player being a 8 hour long michael bay movie. Multi I give a 4 because it is un playable. Good Ideas but a joke. Expand
  75. Nov 10, 2010
    This game blows in its current state. Treyarch/Activision have just released another top level game and made us $60 beta testers. There is no excuse for releasing a game in this state. So much lag, and that is even if you are able to get in the game unlike the black load screen many people are dealing with. This might be a great game several patches from now, but at the moment it is unplayable. I really question if they even bothered to test this at all before release, because with the current issues there is no way in hell this stuff would not have been noticed had it been tested. I guess all my ranting comes down to this for game companies, stop worrying about the quick cash grab and release a good game. If your game doesn't work, delay it and make it work then release it. Instead of us paying $60 to "play" this game, Activision should be paying us $60 to beta test their game, especially when Treyarch is doing the game and they're known to release garbage. The only reason I am giving this a 1 is I have a little hope that if they fix it, that it could be a decent game. Expand
  76. Nov 10, 2010
    Im writing this because of all the miss information in previous posts. Infinity ward were developing this game, but it was handed to Treyarch because Activision Fired all the Bosses (and original owners) at IW and most of the dev team quit to join a law suit against Activision for all the bonuses they were promised for MW2.

IW is owned by Activision but none of the talent works there
    anymore!

Look at Treyarchs back catalogue, this game was always going to be sh!t. FACT

Game review:
    Single Player: Surprisingly i enjoyed this, Good storyline, nice moments but too short (5 hours to complete it is a joke).
    Good but dont buy it for the Single player alone.

Multiplayer:
    LAG, They bring back dedicated, but only with a provider with a poor record, more money grabbing.
    Balance? Fantastic scope for griefing with the new Knife, but we shall have to see as more hours are clocked
    Fun? Yea damn it its still fun
    On the premise that they will fix the lag issues, this game gets 6/10
  77. Nov 10, 2010
    Very laggy online as others have said. Just not very much fun multiplayer. Maps are small. Haven't played single-player yet, but if it's anything like the multiplayer, I wish I hadn't bought it through Steam so I could get a refund.
  78. Nov 10, 2010
    So depressing. Bugs galore, INSANE lag in both the campaign and in the multiplayer which makes MP pretty much unplayable. All this was a huge slap in the face after paying the full $60 for Black Ops on Steam (why it's still $60 even though there's no disc/case/booklet/shipping/etc i don't know) AND having to wait till 9 a.m. only to have the game be unavailable until 5 p.m. only to stumble into a world of issues that should have been dealt with before it was released. Even www.callofduty.com crapped out when I tried to post in their forums by redirecting you to the USA Today hompage and did so for a few hours afterward. Apparently nobody cares about their product or us lowly consumers anymore, just their revenue streams. This is far worse than the Fallout:New Vegas release, and I almost threw my Xbox 360 version of that in the garbage disposal. Too bad I got the digital download, I won't be tossing my comp out the window but COME THE F@#K ONNNN!!!!! Expand
  79. Nov 10, 2010
    The game has gained so much expectations because of previous success of the COD series,but I think Black Ops was definitely a major disappointment for me.

The game suffered from very serious graphic lags in both SP and MP on my PC,which can run Modern Warfare 2 at maximum setting without any problem. Even the intro movie and all the video clips between levels lag. In multilayer games, the
    graphics also lag so bad that I find sniper rifles almost useless. Disabling demo recording might help a little bit, but the lag is still quite an issue.

The sound effects of Black Ops is terrible. In MP games, the weapons sounded like fireworks and the flash bangs make a really weird sound when you throw them.In-game voices sounds very retarded. Sometimes your own footsteps sound like someone walking behind you.The announcements from radio sounded like cheap ass recording too.

MP maps are ridiculously CQB-focused.

In-game texts look so ugly that it looked like some cheap ass rip-off of MW2

When you hit shift to start sprinting,you can't stop sprinting by hitting shift again.You have to stop moving or wait till stamina runs out.

The way characters move are much less realistic than MW2. It made the game seemed like CS.

One tiny but retarded thing is that when you change the resolution,no matter which arrow you click,the resolution will always change in ascending order.

There are also issues with connections as a lot of official servers are very unstable.

The perks have been rearranged into different categories,and the categories didnt make much sense.

The COD point was a good idea and I liked the new modes in wager match. just wish they had it in MW2. After a little while i realized that COD points are just worthless, since they are so easy to earn in ranked games and there's no point of gambling in wager matches at all.

Anyways the above were my major complaints. Overall the gameplay experience is terrible compared to MW2. I'd say its a very average shooter, and because of being overhyped, my score of this game drops from average to bad.

Lastly, the best thing about Black Ops is that it reminded me of how great MW2 is.
  80. Nov 10, 2010
    90% - what a joke, which game did these reviewers play????, go to Steam Forums if you want to hear about the issues this game has, lag, stuttering problems make the game unplayable. I cannot play without massive lagggg in multiplayer or single player. Top end rigs are also effected according Steam users. They did not release a PC beta of the game and it is obvious. Do not buy until something is resolved. For me COD4 is still the best. Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    Being a huge MW2 fan, I wanted to love Black Ops. Sadly, for PC the game is a technical failure. The engine runs very poorly and even though claims to run at 90 FPS, is choppy and stutters. Aside from the fact that it took months for the developer to patch the game to a playability state, the gameplay is just not as polished as MW2. I enjoyed the SP campaign for what it was, although there were several totally obnoxious parts where the game didn't indicate what you should do (stupid barrel section!). Overall, the game just failed technically, so it gets a 5 since it was playable, but not very good. Expand
  82. Nov 10, 2010
    If you have a high end PC with great graphics cards then stay away from this game. The PC version looks like something from 3-5 years ago even with all settings high even o 1920x1200 or more . The game is based around 5 year old console hardware running in 680x470 resolution. The game doesn't support stuff like eyefinity. I know great graphics doesn't make the game but the graphics is so bad it gets in the way. it makes BFB2 and MOH MP look fantastic. They not only look better than BlackOps but plays and sounds better too. $60 down the toilet. No idea why most critics love it. I guess it's same as MW2 where critics love it but most end players hate it.â Expand
  83. Nov 10, 2010
    Multiplayer is far too frustrating due to the terrible lag. I recommend staying away from this game until this is addressed.

Single player is okay, but the AI really blows. Enemies are repetitive and lack any "intelligence"...which just ends up making them feel artificial. I'm basically just entertaining myself with SP until Online play is fixed. Not getting of the reported problem
    in single player. Gameplay is pretty smooth, with the occasional audio skip during a cutscene.

Had to play BFBC2 because the lag was so terrible. Basically they've released a $60 beta for multiplayer...which is pretty disappointing to say the least. But at the same time, they've probably sold more $60 beta copies in the history of video games...so I can't imagine any of the studios/publishers involved with this game really care....they've just made a huge amount of cash.
  84. Nov 10, 2010
    Truely awful. Any critic that gave this a good review should hang their head in shame, this game is a disgrace - the multiplayer is completely unplayable. Played every COD game since release, enjoyed MW2 despite it's short comings - this just takes the biscuit though.
  85. Nov 10, 2010
    Is the worst game I ever seen. Play black ops for computer is like play a beta game. Bugs everywhere and the cpu's lag problem. Black ops has 874000 kb cpu usage. And you die and lag in single player, in multiplayer and in the zombie mod. In multiplayer game i have between 20 and 75 fps at the low resolution; and i have a gtx 460. This game is unplayable until a patch that fix this problems. Without words. Expand
  86. Nov 10, 2010
    Completely crap game. This is a 60 dollar beta, and nothing more. More than 90% of the online features either don't work or they are extremely buggy. Nobody in the entire pc gaming community can play a coop game of zombies. Half of the times, the attachments that you put on your gun don't carry over to your next game. The SP is incredibly short and there are absolutely no reasons to justify a 60 dollar purchase for this game.

Things that don't work"
    Zombies Coop
    Theatre and filesharing
    Upgrades
    Multiplayer as a whole [Incredibly laggy on all servers]

Do not buy this game. Boycott bad producers who think little of their customers, and have the nerve to sell a beta to the public as an actual retail game.
  87. Nov 10, 2010
    Overall I am very disappointed and I feel like I should have never fallen for this trap. At the end of the day Activision wants to make money and that is exactly what they are doing by releasing sub-par, unfinished console ports each year.
    I honestly didn't think they could make a game worse than modern warfare 2 but alas they have. The game feels like a copy of butchered call of duty 4
    and is nowhere near finished and if I could I would return the game to steam. The main issues I have with the game right now are: The server browser, very poorly designed, you can not filter by ping e.g. ( Expand
  88. Nov 10, 2010
    There is absolutely no way that the PC version was tested. My computer far exceeds the minimum requirements, but the game is an unplayable mess of problems at the moment. Activision's current response to widepsread problems is a claim that no on meets the minimum specs. The main campaign is a stuttering, crashing mess with an okay plot. Zombie mode is nothing new, but the special map with JFK, Nixon, Castro, and McNamara was funny. Multiplayer gamplay wise is pretty much the same MW2's, but suffers from a much smaller and unbalanced weapon count. Multiplayer at the moment is a godawful mess if bugs that will be impossible for Treyarch to ever fix. Whether it's getting a error that steam must be running to play the game when you're launching the damn game from steam, getting a connection error on a bot match you're playing by yourself, never having your proper name appear ingame, or just stuttering around the map getting killed by the magical 1% of people with no problems. Dedicated servers are provided ONLY by paying gameservers to host your server for you. I could not honestly recommend this game to anyone t the moment. Stay away for at least one year, and maybe by then Treyarch will have patched it to a barely playable state. The only thing stopping it from getting a 0 is the glorious voice acting in the zombie level with presidents. Expand
  89. Nov 10, 2010
    Even without all the lag, it's blatantly just another console port and a bad one at that. For one Treyarch should have had an open beta a couple of weeks before release. This game needs an overhall, bring COD back to it's PC roots for the love of god!
  90. Nov 11, 2010
    Just know when you play this game on a PC you need the right PC a DEDICATED GAMING MACHINE large quad cpu (Phenom OR i5) or better, 4 gigs of ram or better a 64 bit (Windows 7 or XP - NOT vista!) and a multi core Graphics card is recommended. The gaming engine is so demanding that lesser computers have no playability in this game. DUAL CORE MACHINES NEED NOT APPLY.
    I'm' dead serious
    this game was stressing my phenom x 4 965 OC'ed to 3.9ghz and the 9800 geforce to the limits of performance on MODERATE graphics. I built this gamer machine a year ago with the best, at this rate I will need to build another just to play the next installment. By dedicated machine I mean dedicated: no Anti virus: no video ripping: NO ITUNES. so don't go downloading porn.
    when you have the RIGHT machine this game has ASTOUNDING GRAPHICS .. full stop-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I own all the call of duty games in the series for PC. Played them til my eyes crossed at times. The single player game was fantastic challenging without being too frustrating, astounding plot, phenomenal graphics, compelling characters. It felt like a six and a half hour interactive movie. Single player campaign was miles above MW2 in my opinion, and I thought MW2 could not be topped. The Multi-player has a very WAW fell with modern weapons even some that did not exist in the time frame of this game setting, but I'm glad they stretched reality there it makes for a better experience. Updated but not revolutionary is the best way to describe multi-player. The co-op portion was very disappointing, I like the zombies don't get me wrong but I wanted the co-op experience similar to MW2. Not to mention just endless waves of zombies gets old quick. The co-op in MW2 had hours of excitement for me and my friends. We had to function like a small Spec-ops team to complete the maps. You needed: communication, precision, and teamwork to do the missions. Not like Multi-player where no matter what organization an communication you try to establish everyone runs around and does there own thing. There is a "Combat Training" mode you can play privately with your friends, but event the AI runs around like decapitated chickens. If they offered non-zombie co-op maps in the future maybe ill buy them (maybe) or hold my breath waiting for it to return next year. Overall a great game. I'm glad to see the franchise grow and improve. It would be a perfect 10 but multi-player did not blow me away like COD4 & COD6, and no good co-op which makes the game playable again and again.â
  91. Nov 10, 2010
    So, the server browser only shows about 10% of the total amount of servers out there, making it hard to search for servers with your friends. Joining your friends via the browser does not seem to be activated yet, so you must wait until one buddy finds a good server and then invites you. The game will grab onto and hold most of your CPU resources making the game lag something fierce in MP and somewhat less in SP. This seems to be an issue for the majority of the players and a quick search on the web confirms this. My score is based on the SP part since the MP part is unplayable and would have to be given a score of 0. Once the emergency fix/patch is released, Black Ops will probably be a decent expantion for World At War. Expand
  92. Nov 10, 2010
    It's obvious that none of the critics played the PC version of this game. I bought the game specifically for multi-player, and the stuttering/lag makes the game nearly unplayable. How did Treyarch allow this game to be released for PC with all the lag/graphics/freezing problems? They're so obvious that a drunk and retarded monkey would notice them in the first 5 seconds of playing! My only hope is that people stop buying this game until the developers fix this disaster. I wish that I had never bought this game, nothing but a disappointment. Expand
  93. Nov 10, 2010
    This game lacks any of the shine and polish for which the Call of Duty franchise is rightly known. The engine's performance is execrable on any but the most expensive hardware, the multiplayer feels more arcade-ey and cheap than in previous iterations and the game's AI is erratic at best. This is all particularly insulting given Activision's decision to charge 50% more for the game in Australia to gouge every cent it could given that country's favourable exchange rate to the US Dollar. Expand
  94. Nov 10, 2010
    I am amazed at the amount of trolls who are giving this game terrible reviews. Apparently halo fans got together to rate this game so it could look crappy. 4.5 average? that is obviously total crap because the real critics would of tore this game to pieces much more so then the users ever could have. Call Of Duty might be a yearly title. But this one goes so far beyond anything Infinity Ward has ever done. They took customization seriously, and took away the insane amounts of power people had in Modern Warfare. It is one of the best game you will ever play in the first person genre. As for these problems with lag, I have had little problems. And people need to realize that when servers are suddenly filled with millions of people, it is almost impossible to not have some problems. This game is worth the money, with the campaign, zombies, and the always solid muiltiplayer. They have made a near perfect game... Not to mention the ability to save your films and even edit clips together so you can show many angles of the same awesome event... Which for the record, Even Halo does not allow you to do. Do not believe all the haters, they are simply hating on a game because its so popular. Expand
  95. Nov 10, 2010
    I'm a very positive person, but this game is utter trash. The single player is pretty neat, but if you're looking for multiplayer at all, don't waste your money. I feel like I just gave $60 to a bum to buy a hot meal and watched him spend it on crack and OD. It makes me so mad that companies can release pieces of trash as buggy as this. The game lags no matter how good your internet/computer is. There is NO FEATURE that allows you to play with your friends. The server browser that shows your friends game is broken and there's no steam integration. The only way to get in a ranked match with your friends is through the in game invite system and once you're you can't pick or switch teams! Are you *@#*(&ing kidding me?! Did anyone playtest this game? I literally would have felt better about flushing my $60 down the toilet and punching myself in the genitals. Expand
  96. Nov 10, 2010
    I can't believe that after all the wait and the pre-loading on steam this thing runs like a slide show. It's completely unacceptable to have a $60 game be this **** on the PC. On top of that the action is ridiculously linear, the AI is terrible, the vehicle missions are a joke. You might as well take 60 bucks and give it to a homeless dude to go punch treyarch on the balls.
  97. Nov 10, 2010
    THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN A NONE WORKING CONDITION! How the hell can Activision spend millions on marketing and yet not find out about this bug through testing? I want my money back dammit! Treyarch you should be ashamed of yourselves releasing this game in the condition it is in. Seriously, an unplayable game? WTF is your testing team smoking over there? I will never purchase a game from Treyarch again! Expand
  98. Nov 10, 2010
    terrible lag terrible graphics. Treyarch SUCKS
    Lopez movie, I'll take 2 copies for 80 bucks a piece. Expand
  99. Nov 10, 2010
    This is a terribly make over of what I felt was a good game. In nearly every aspect the once good franchise has been beaten. From the menus to the new voice overs it feels as if they were cheap and hurried for the sake of remaking them. Every aspect of this game was taken in and crapped all over an attempt to fake originality. The level system is still there, but now you have to buy things too. It's added complexity for no real benefit. Way to go... Expand
  100. Nov 11, 2010
    Everyone who is giving this a zero is either a troll, or a moron that is trying to play the game on dial-up with a very outdated machine. The game runs perfectly, with no framerate issues on an ati 5850. I will admit I did experience lag for a few hours after release, but a simple console command to change the maximum packets sent at a time fixes that issue.(cl_maxpackets 100 or so) The balance and gameplay of the multiplayer is, in my opinion, the best they have done since Call of Duty 4. Kill streak rewards have been toned down, claymores are much less abundant, and so are grenades, making the game much more skill based. The multiplayer is definitely the best part of the game, I won't go into the single player a lot because I haven't finished it, but it is dissappointing to me, very generic run and gun gameplay, kill the same enemy a hundred times each level, I still enjoyed it but I felt it should have had better pacing, because the idea behind it was better than the execution. I would give it an 8.5 if you factor in the singleplayer, multiplayer alone deserves a 9/10 from me. Expand
  101. Jan 18, 2011

1. Jan 29, 2011
    Its duffer solo moments are masked by imaginative and visual whizz-band-fizz. [Jan 2011, p.100]
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    This score will likely come as a shock to many, but this game suffers from pathetic frame rates at times, both on console and on PC.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    Black Ops is one of the best first person shooters this year, and is a obviously must have for any action fan. Intense, gory and quite brilliant, maybe it's not refreshing but at the same time its a stunning game.