8.5

1. Dec 10, 2011
    The first ever Call of Duty has many elements which the newer CoD games keep coming back to, or just simply lost. The graphics might not look appealing today, and the AIs might look stupid, but this is where it all started, and look at how many good aspects of the game were simply lost as they kept making new games. For example, consider the battle of Starlinglad from the Russian campaign.The first ever Call of Duty has many elements which the newer CoD games keep coming back to, or just simply lost. The graphics might not look appealing today, and the AIs might look stupid, but this is where it all started, and look at how many good aspects of the game were simply lost as they kept making new games. For example, consider the battle of Starlinglad from the Russian campaign. Do we have that 'Victory or Death' charge with epic music in modern CoDs? No. Or the health pack system? No, these days you're an invincible sponge capable of soaking up millions of rounds. In terms of gameplay, this first CoD is still comparable or significantly better than the newer CoDs. Just play it if you haven't done so yet. Expand
  2. DeaconB.
    Feb 4, 2004
    The single play was brilliant, I loved it, but it was way too short. The multiplayer could possibly be good if there was a way to get rid of all the cheating scum.
  3. Jul 17, 2011
    It can be said that Call of Duty is the founding father of today's modern First-Person war shooters. It is a Classic. One Of The greatest video games of all time, and dare I say, the best PC Game of all time. Despite its few flaws, and sometimes laggy gameplay, Call Of Duty not only enriches the FPS Experience, it also inspires alot of their fans to go forward and not be afraid. For aIt can be said that Call of Duty is the founding father of today's modern First-Person war shooters. It is a Classic. One Of The greatest video games of all time, and dare I say, the best PC Game of all time. Despite its few flaws, and sometimes laggy gameplay, Call Of Duty not only enriches the FPS Experience, it also inspires alot of their fans to go forward and not be afraid. For a First Person Shooter Game, this is rare as nowadays you have franchises like Battlefield and the Tom Clancy series that gets to the point and never has that much depth in the story. Call Of Duty does. In fact, story is what makes up this game. Like a TV Drama, it draws you in, taking you back to relive the tragedy, greed, despair, hope and glory of what was the Second World War in Europe. No doubt about it, may not be a perfect game, but it is a True Classic. Have you got a PC? Get Call Of Duty off eBay or some retro VG Store near you, because if you don't have it, you're not a true PC Gamer. Expand
  4. Graham
    Apr 6, 2004
    I've been playing FPS for 10 years now, and I've never been so impressed and absorbed by any of them. This is a new level in quality of gaming. A work of genius. Enjoy!
  5. BlazingArrow
    Oct 25, 2006
    Indeed. Cannot beat the best. It plays on alot of computers, too. Still alive in terms of multiplayer (1300+). DOD and BF1942 suck in terms of realism and true WWII warfare.
  6. JaysonPaulZ.
    Jan 4, 2004
    The best FPS game that i played since MOHAA i cant wait for the sequel, but hey wait where is the expansion?
  7. JoshO.
    Feb 14, 2004
    An excellent action game that sweeps you up and keeps you inthrolled in the intesne world of 1944
  8. ThomasP.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This game is freakin awesome and for some reason runs way smoother on my PC than Counter-Strike 1.6! and the graphics are go good and it doesn't require much to play it, 10.
  9. GeoffS.
    Oct 18, 2003
    I just got done playing the demo and all I can say is WOW!!! This game is one of the best shooters I have played in a long time. Man I can't wait until it comes out.
  10. IzZo
    Nov 29, 2003
    Ever wished there was a game that realistically reconstructed a war, filled with gunfire everywhere, somethin like saving private ryan? well here is ur chance 2 get as close 2 da action withowt actually bein in a real-life battlefield! neat graphics, incredible attention 2 detail, its tough and u may die alot, but i reckon its a small price 2 pay 4 takin part in an addicitive realistic Ever wished there was a game that realistically reconstructed a war, filled with gunfire everywhere, somethin like saving private ryan? well here is ur chance 2 get as close 2 da action withowt actually bein in a real-life battlefield! neat graphics, incredible attention 2 detail, its tough and u may die alot, but i reckon its a small price 2 pay 4 takin part in an addicitive realistic action game, i cant believe there would b people who hate this game...must b those damn peace luvahs...n-e-way tis a good attempt by activision, much better than MOH...if u worship dat game, i cant c y u wont luv this one Expand
  11. Nov 2, 2011
    This is where it all started folks! Though the aging stalwart may not have the narrative drive or epic setpieces of more modern COD games, that does nothing to take away the fact that Call of Duty is a slick and awsome thrill ride start to finish. The campaign throws the player into just about every scenario you could hope for; with a simple and fun multiplayer to accompany it that is sureThis is where it all started folks! Though the aging stalwart may not have the narrative drive or epic setpieces of more modern COD games, that does nothing to take away the fact that Call of Duty is a slick and awsome thrill ride start to finish. The campaign throws the player into just about every scenario you could hope for; with a simple and fun multiplayer to accompany it that is sure to keep you engaged for ages. Expand
  12. May 16, 2012
    Call of Duty is a solid game, and with some great graphics. Even if this game is old, I was amaze by the graphics. It is with a fun campaign, and with a great multiplayer. It just needed to have a better story. (9.4)
  13. IvanV.
    Oct 31, 2003
    This game does not even touch MOHAA. I could not stop laughing at the comical graphics and movement in this piece of .....That is until I remember I wasted $50 on it. The players in the game literally look like crazed midgets on speed. The bodies are totally out of proportion...swelled heads and short legs LOL. Even worse the players move around like they are on a combination of steroids This game does not even touch MOHAA. I could not stop laughing at the comical graphics and movement in this piece of .....That is until I remember I wasted $50 on it. The players in the game literally look like crazed midgets on speed. The bodies are totally out of proportion...swelled heads and short legs LOL. Even worse the players move around like they are on a combination of steroids and speed. I thought I was in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and all the Umpa Lumpas went mad and started killing everyone. Oh, and talk about crappy sound. Every sound in the game is one dimensional. Don't buy into the hype...this game is garbage. I really wanted a better version of MOHAA, but this is a joke. Expand
  14. Jun 8, 2011
    hey all love call of duty but I need to find the best one rated T or less for the pc is this the best one? please let me know a.s.a.p.
  15. May 14, 2012
    Single player is rubbish.
    Multiplayer is rubbish.
    Graphics for 2003 game: oh my god how bad they are. Half life 2 and Doom 3 came half year later, look their graphics.
    So: sp 2/10 mp 2/10 graphics: 1/10 sound 2/10 musics 5/10
    Sorry CoD fans.
  16. JCE
    Apr 20, 2004
    The game is LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR...you buddies will literally hang in doorways until you walk through....the enemy AI is dumb as dirt....their locations are SCRIPTED...dont believe me ? In the DAM wait and look -no enemies come....go down the stairs and they "appear there" which, unless they transported there would be impossible...don't believe it....do it again and again..... The game is LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR...you buddies will literally hang in doorways until you walk through....the enemy AI is dumb as dirt....their locations are SCRIPTED...dont believe me ? In the DAM wait and look -no enemies come....go down the stairs and they "appear there" which, unless they transported there would be impossible...don't believe it....do it again and again..... Graphics are nice... Sound is loud Game is WAY too linear... Operation Flashpoint/Ghost Recon are both superior and Americas Army online kicks a$$ compared to this......and that's an ok game...but it's FREE and has a new release soon. Expand
  17. Chuluungombo
    Oct 10, 2004
    I still dont believe i paid 50 bucks for this crap, players look out of proportion/short legs, huge heads/,and run like crazy rabbits, SP scripted to death,damn u cant even open doors,u have to wait until someone comes over.Stalingrad mission is just ripoff from pseudohistorical movie" Enemy at the gate", almost simple walk from point A to point B, AI so dumb takes over cheating and I still dont believe i paid 50 bucks for this crap, players look out of proportion/short legs, huge heads/,and run like crazy rabbits, SP scripted to death,damn u cant even open doors,u have to wait until someone comes over.Stalingrad mission is just ripoff from pseudohistorical movie" Enemy at the gate", almost simple walk from point A to point B, AI so dumb takes over cheating and suddenly appears from nowhere.MP suck,unless u r one of those newbies running amok with machinegun. Dont buy this game,trust me it's rubbish. Expand
  18. WillS.
    Mar 21, 2004
    For good graphics, decent storyline and a good flow to gameplay in single player mode, Call of Duty is a slightly better game than 1942 in that the characters and situations seem more real given AI and ambient graphics and sound. If you want an better all-round experience, including a very well developed multi-player function and replay-ability, Battlefield 1942 is a better bet. Call of For good graphics, decent storyline and a good flow to gameplay in single player mode, Call of Duty is a slightly better game than 1942 in that the characters and situations seem more real given AI and ambient graphics and sound. If you want an better all-round experience, including a very well developed multi-player function and replay-ability, Battlefield 1942 is a better bet. Call of Duty would rate much higher if it did not seem too short and if the multi-player was not so bad, which is a tremendous oversight in a new game. Still, Call of Duty mostly fulfills its promise of putting you in the middle of intense WWII action in very well designed environments. Expand
  19. RogerDodger
    May 6, 2004
    What a piece of crap! This game never worked on gaming P/C (Athalon 2500+ ATI 9200, 1GB RAM, 80GB W/D). Contacted Activision for support and never replied. Called, put on hold then hung up on TWICE. Don't waste your time.
  20. Mike
    Aug 2, 2005
    In all honesty, I can't see what all the fuss is about. For the most part, it feels almost precisely like any old arcade shooter.
  21. AnonymousMC
    Feb 22, 2004
    After further online play I'd have to revise my score and give it a 4. If the multiplayer wasn't so horrible and nasty, and the singleplayer hadn't been so extreemly short, it would have scored higher. People who like WWII FPSs would do MUCH better to go out and buy Battlefield 1942.
  22. FredM.
    Dec 31, 2003
    Single player is amazing. One of the most immersive WWII experiences ever created. The multiplayer sucks shaft. Bunnie hopping idiots, and small maps, make it kind of weak. For those of you that think this is a good multiplayer game....you have obviously never played Black Hawk Down.
  23. Dec 1, 2011
    It's an ok shooter. I found it to be a cross between Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, both of which provided a much better gameplay experience. Fighting as the Russians was the highlight of CoD which provided a hint of originality. Beyond that, there was nothing that jumped out as an experience worth remembering.
  24. Dec 22, 2011
    Smooth controls, animations and gameplay are the good things about this game. Bad things- multiplayer is without substance and non cheaters. Single player got so boring I literally forced myself through it. A waste of time. If you want a WWII shooter CoD2 or BF1942 are the way to go.
  25. May 18, 2012
    Comical to play your friend in a map and pwn him all day. The re-play value was there, the maps were more comical than good, and this was a must have back in the day. Call of Duty 3 is another story, but this game was one of my first shooters that allowed you to kill and die 100 times in 5 minutes. lol
  26. JinxterL.
    Nov 6, 2003
    This must be the best WW2 shooter ever. It`s not only the graphics and sounds, but also the gameplay is lightyears better than in MOHAA. This game creates very solid atmosphere, all ruined villages, weapons, clothes, voices and action is very close to real thing. If you are WW2 addicted like me, or if you just happen to like fpshooters, get a copy of this jewel. You won`t regret it =)
  27. AnonymousMC
    Jan 2, 2004
    I totally agreee with tHe >mAsTeR< on this one...ivan, you either have a sub-pentiumI running DOS, or there's a belgium waffle stuck where your processor should be...this game is a total insult to all MoH titles currently in existance as it goes where MoH never could in all areas of gameplay. Remember the D-Day landing in Frontline? It sucked! The beach was tiny, there were 4-5 MGsI totally agreee with tHe >mAsTeR< on this one...ivan, you either have a sub-pentiumI running DOS, or there's a belgium waffle stuck where your processor should be...this game is a total insult to all MoH titles currently in existance as it goes where MoH never could in all areas of gameplay. Remember the D-Day landing in Frontline? It sucked! The beach was tiny, there were 4-5 MGs firing at you, and there were no more than 15 guys on the beach at any time. Now tilt that beach upward to about 50 degrees, add a bunch more guns, a crapload of russians charging up with guns and flags, and beautiful graphics, and you've got...the Russian mission charging up the docks at the Volga River! This game is possibly the greatest FPS WWII-genre ever, and I can only hope that it continues with more expansions just as MoH did. Expand
  28. AnonymousMC
    Jan 3, 2004
    Re. single player: While it lasts this is the best WWII FPS to date; it's an incremental improvment on MOHAA in almost every area. The most impressive aspect of the game is that it gives a strong sense of the facts of life (and death) for an infantryman; stick your head up in front of an MG42 in this game and you'll get it shot off! On the down side the game is simply tooRe. single player: While it lasts this is the best WWII FPS to date; it's an incremental improvment on MOHAA in almost every area. The most impressive aspect of the game is that it gives a strong sense of the facts of life (and death) for an infantryman; stick your head up in front of an MG42 in this game and you'll get it shot off! On the down side the game is simply too short - it took me only 10 hours to complete - and the linear, scripted nature occasionally becomes too obvious.

Re. multiplayer: No comment, that's not my thing.
  29. Adrian
    May 7, 2007
    A great game, both Single and Multilayer. The game doesn't need a high-spec PC, and the graphics still look as good as some latest games.

1. However, taking away all the glamour, polish and hype this title has, what you’ll be presented with is rather linear game with fairly limited replay ability. We did however find the single player campaigns surprisingly short.
  2. Computer Games Magazine
    Call of Duty is going to turn heads. It looks amazing, the action is fierce, and the multiplayer game is balanced, with plenty of diverse settings. [Jan 2004, p.58]
    The most intensive war action first person shooter combat title yet. I have not played a single-player experience that is as immersive and intense as the one in Call of Duty.