Call of Juarez PC

7.8

1. Aug 22, 2014
    The concept of Call of Juarez is great and is what drew me in to buy the game. Some of the in game concepts like the slow motion target selection and silent arrow kills are great, but they don't make up for the rest of this games failings.

Epic load times mean that you are already frustrated with this game even before you start to play. A lack of a proper tutorial, in some of the games major aspects, such as getting around with the whip make the first hour of this game incredibly frustrating. The massive amount of dialogue followed by lots of walking around doing nothing followed by short spats of actual shooting at bad guys make this game boring and frustrating.

The linear combat and level design make this a one play through game, if you even end up finishing it at all. Half the game is spent running away from enemies rather than fighting them and traveling through a vast empty terrain for what feels like an eternity with nothing to do but look at the scenery.

What really annoys me about this game is that when you get bored of riding around doing nothing for 5 minutes and you want to shoot at a few wild animals to curb you boredom the game kills you and reloads because the developers don't believe in harming animals!!! Was this game developed by the WSPA!!! But wait, killing humans is OK but i cant kill a wild animal, COME ON!!!

This game is defiantly beautiful to look at and for its time has some cool in game features, but as a playable title, it fails. Having payed for this game, I won't be bothered to pay for, or play any of its sequels.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Call of Juarez is both a first-person shooter and a stealth game. You plays some levels as Reverend Ray a creepily charismatic character, a former bandit turned a priest but still ready to use his guns and others as his young nephew Billy, always sneaking around his enemies.

The FPS with Reverend Ray is gripping and a lot of fun, with nice ideas like the concentration mode, the peculiar two guns mode and the duels.

The levels with Billy bored me to tears, and honestly I played them just to get the next Reverend Ray part. The developers did a far better job with action than with stealth: the former crackles with excitement, the latter is clunky and repetitive.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    Great game with replay value because I'm now playing it again. The graphics are pretty darned good for that time period. The in game vistas are stunning. The western style, cowboy music is great. The voice acting particularly Ray's and Billie's, are perfect. My ONLY objection is the dead eye accuracy and radar vision of the A.I. As the player I wish I could shoot and spot the enemyGreat game with replay value because I'm now playing it again. The graphics are pretty darned good for that time period. The in game vistas are stunning. The western style, cowboy music is great. The voice acting particularly Ray's and Billie's, are perfect. My ONLY objection is the dead eye accuracy and radar vision of the A.I. As the player I wish I could shoot and spot the enemy that accurately. Use your quick save function liberally. Other than that I wish more games of this superb quality in this genre would come out. Expand
  4. May 26, 2013
    +Alot of attention to pacing, narrative, and character
    +You can play between 2 very different characters
    +Concentration mode is so fun, its essentially requires you to look at both sides of the screen as your cursors move to the center of the screen in slow motion and fire a bullet via left and right mouse buttons. Its alot of fun and requires good timing. +unlockable artwork and wanted
    +Alot of attention to pacing, narrative, and character
    +You can play between 2 very different characters
    +unlockable artwork and wanted posters are fun
    +- sneaking does require a bit of practice and a bit of luck
    -poorly designed levels
    -no poker
    -starts to limp narrative/pacing wise towards the end
  5. May 4, 2013
    it isn't bad it's a good game it would be awesome except for some issues and bugs it could get frustrating sometimes but it gives you the western feel after all story isn't that good but it is satisfying
    in all not a bad game worth playing
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    I liked this game, but I didn't love it. If they had kept the whole game during the civil war and on civil war battlefields, this would have been one of the best games I had every played. Unfortunately, they go west and the game goes flat. Great voice acting, though.
  7. Jun 17, 2012
    Very nice game. The story, graphics and the sounds are really good. This is the best western game i ever played and the Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. The tasks are nice. You need to ride a horse, duel, jumping with lasso and a lot of more.
  8. Feb 22, 2012
    Definitely one of the best western games ever made. Only Outlaws, and, maybe, the Red Dead series are better. Ray's storyline wasn't all that great - it was rather predictable and boring at times. The kid's story line was better, if sometimes he was too whiny for my taste. The graphics were kind of hit and miss - the scenery was absolutely awesome (especially the feather level), butDefinitely one of the best western games ever made. Only Outlaws, and, maybe, the Red Dead series are better. Ray's storyline wasn't all that great - it was rather predictable and boring at times. The kid's story line was better, if sometimes he was too whiny for my taste. The graphics were kind of hit and miss - the scenery was absolutely awesome (especially the feather level), but the people had some strange shading to them. All in all, it was one of the more underrated games I've ever tried. I really enjoyed it. Expand
  9. May 29, 2011
    Terrible level design means you can easily sneak off the map and see everything from the outside as if you had noclipped. Swinging mechanics with the whip are godawful. Combat just isn't all that fun.

For all the charm the game has (and it definitely has it,) it's just not enough to save a game that's fundamentally broken.
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    That's what i call one of the best games of all time! I was waiting a western game like for ever and it finally came true. What can i say, i felt in love with that game... Each mission is like having sex with the most beautiful girls on this planet. The storyline is just perfect, the voice acting was so well performed that i thought i was in there in real-time! At the End it was so deepThat's what i call one of the best games of all time! I was waiting a western game like for ever and it finally came true. What can i say, i felt in love with that game... Each mission is like having sex with the most beautiful girls on this planet. The storyline is just perfect, the voice acting was so well performed that i thought i was in there in real-time! At the End it was so deep that i started to cry, yup its true.
    i so loved the duels like the old wild west, riding a horse,... The caracters really had an incredible story to tell. Every weapon on that game is unique. Every mission was diferent, like i was playing a new game of call of juarez.
    Chrome Engine really did a great touch on the graphics, i will definitely watch every game what will be released with that engine. The gameplay is awesome, AI is like they would be real enemies, lile they were defending and attacking by them selfs without any scripts, superb.
    This game should have more sales, Techland really deserved having more profits. Multiplayer of that game is unique, so awesome... I could spend the whole day to praise that game... I do want a sequel but wild west too...
    Let's see how Cal of Juarez:the Cartel will be, hope another awesome game like Bound in Blood.
    Thank you for that great Game Techland and for publishing it Ubisoft, i'm so thankfull
  11. Ryan
    Jun 13, 2009
    A decent storyline, and entertaining (albeit simplistic) gameplay mechanics. Most of the levels feel incredibly linear and terribly under-utilized. Graphics are decent but not stellar, a significant number of invisible walls give the level design a 'cheap' feeling. Save points sometimes force one to listen to long cutscenes. AI is fairly rudimentary, and puzzles simply take A decent storyline, and entertaining (albeit simplistic) gameplay mechanics. Most of the levels feel incredibly linear and terribly under-utilized. Graphics are decent but not stellar, a significant number of invisible walls give the level design a 'cheap' feeling. Save points sometimes force one to listen to long cutscenes. AI is fairly rudimentary, and puzzles simply take forever, but are not challenging (or satisfying). Fails miserably when compared to adventure games like prince of Persia. Expand
  12. ShaneP
    Jun 1, 2009
    This game suffers from some of the worst level design i've ever seen in my life. The levels are way too linear and it seems to sometimes make objectives pointlessly hard (and annoying i add) to complete. Avoid.
  13. SamM.
    Jan 10, 2009
    Great setting,story,locations and nice graphics. Gamplay is nice,the best thing is the intensive atmosphere and tension within most of the levels. Levels are always different and varied, not boring! . All in all a SUPERB game, with a tension a atmosphere you will love!
  14. M.Alex
    Oct 28, 2008
    A very good game. I has some weaker points, especially at the beginning until you get the gist of it, but then it turns out to be a really good one. Very good acting (Marc Alaimo is great!), nice plot, and most importantly, very decent gameplay. System requirements slightly high.
  15. CubelB.
    Jul 13, 2008
    One of the best games i've played this year!
  16. LeonR.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Flawed but enjoyable. Beautiful landscapes, frantic gunslinging(in places) decent story.
  17. Dan
    Jun 25, 2008
    What a terrific and unique game. It was engrossing and fun. Graphics are stunning (I played in vista with DX10), and the story and voice acting are quite good. There are pistol duels, rabbit hunting, horse back riding, archery, mountain climbing, and many other great things you never see in regular generic shooters. Just a load of fun and a unique experience.
  18. EricE.
    Jun 24, 2008
    The main thing I didn't like was the Billy levels. They were more 3d platform puzzle type or Thief sneak type. However I did enjoy the Reverend levels. But considering that the Billy levels were near 50% of the game I am going to have to rate it lower. If you want a western shooter with a storyline then this game is for you. It isn't a good storyline but it is better than most.
  19. Reiver
    Jan 5, 2008
    A cheap and poorly made game thats only real draw is its setting. It's too hard then too easy but almost never fun. the frustrating controls, kidie hand holding and frustrating sneaking sucked all my enjoyment from the game. A stupid and jarring red cross fills the screen any time you mouse over your horse, a civilian or a corpse. So much for the game being for adults. Despite the A cheap and poorly made game thats only real draw is its setting. It's too hard then too easy but almost never fun. the frustrating controls, kidie hand holding and frustrating sneaking sucked all my enjoyment from the game. A stupid and jarring red cross fills the screen any time you mouse over your horse, a civilian or a corpse. So much for the game being for adults. Despite the praise of its graphics i found it to be a very ugly game. Too much bloom and radioactive colour schemes hurt my eyes outside and indistinct baddies against a dull repetitive background strained them inside. I really couldn't recommend this at any price. Expand
  20. DanielW.
    Nov 16, 2007
    I simply cannot understand the review scores given by the majority of reviewers for this game. Yes, this is an FPS, and yes, there are no real ground breaking scenes or gameplay advances, but heaven's sake this is a game and games are meant to be fun. Call of Juarez has to be one of the most entertaining games I have ever had the privilege to play. The levels where you play Billy are I simply cannot understand the review scores given by the majority of reviewers for this game. Yes, this is an FPS, and yes, there are no real ground breaking scenes or gameplay advances, but heaven's sake this is a game and games are meant to be fun. Call of Juarez has to be one of the most entertaining games I have ever had the privilege to play. The levels where you play Billy are a welcome change of pace to the Rev. levels, and the scenery is simply the icing on the cake. You can tell that the developers had a lot of fun making this game and it shows through very easily. I still have save games on some of the shoot outs so I can play through them over and over! Expand
  21. HannahS.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I adored playing this game and I soon became addicted to it. It took quite a while to load up and was quite jumpy to start with but i think it was worth the wait. It was great that you werent just shooting every guy you saw, and that you got to have time out to shoot rabbits and such. Nice scenery. Beautiful storyline. The whole "the poor being more generous than the rich" was a really I adored playing this game and I soon became addicted to it. It took quite a while to load up and was quite jumpy to start with but i think it was worth the wait. It was great that you werent just shooting every guy you saw, and that you got to have time out to shoot rabbits and such. Nice scenery. Beautiful storyline. The whole "the poor being more generous than the rich" was a really touching idea and i loved playing as both Billy and Ray. Great game, highly recommend it. Expand
  22. SimonN.
    Sep 20, 2007
    Annoying game...heavy graphic...lots of bugs...reicolous storyline... This game is a gob.
  23. PanchoV.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Excellent game, finaly a wild west shooter with some quality graphics. Gameplay is ok but it needs ctf in my opinion. The support from techland can be alot better or the online community will dy soon.
  24. MassiveRogers
    Aug 4, 2007
    Cracking Wild West atmosphere - this game allows me to do things that I've been wanting to do in games for the past 20 years. However, some faults such as it's linearity and some boring sections stop me giving it top marks. Well worth a thrash on though.
  25. MarcB.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Heyyo, Great game. Sure, doesn't run the smoothest, but looks great, multiplayer's got great hitreg and netcode even on high pings so it's playable with people in Europe, and the best cowboy FPS yet. The only thing stopping me from 10/10 is mainly that it doesn't run all too great, and the weapons need to be balanced in MP.. TNT's too buff, and the sawed off is Heyyo, Great game. Sure, doesn't run the smoothest, but looks great, multiplayer's got great hitreg and netcode even on high pings so it's playable with people in Europe, and the best cowboy FPS yet. The only thing stopping me from 10/10 is mainly that it doesn't run all too great, and the weapons need to be balanced in MP.. TNT's too buff, and the sawed off is also too buff, should be pistol, tnt, and double-barreled shotgun for the miner class, TNT's and sawed-off is too beefy a combo. Expand
  26. WillT.
    Jul 22, 2007
    Just not very fun. There is a reason this game is already in the bargain bin. Sneaking around in a western themed FPS? Are you kidding?
  27. PhilipD.
    Jul 16, 2007
    I didn't expect much from this game. It had mixed reviews, but it got a good review from the Users. Still, I had to make the most of my Geforce 8800, so I bought it for £9.99. If I had known how good it was, I would have bought it sooner. The graphics are very impressive- but not as much as the scale of some of the levels. The rabbit hunting level stands out in particular, and I didn't expect much from this game. It had mixed reviews, but it got a good review from the Users. Still, I had to make the most of my Geforce 8800, so I bought it for £9.99. If I had known how good it was, I would have bought it sooner. The graphics are very impressive- but not as much as the scale of some of the levels. The rabbit hunting level stands out in particular, and had the same affect on me as the Hong Kong level from Deus Ex. The entire game is like a good dream; You'll want to share it with others once it's over and you'll remember it for ever. The fantastic music and slow-mo gun fights add to the atmosphere, but at the end of the day it's the story which drives this game to within the top 5 games for me of all time- something I never thought was possible. Each chapter feels like a new game, just like Half Life 2. This is one of the few games where I have played out of sheer enjoyment, as opposed to playing simply to kill time and say that I've completed it. The voice acting is superb and the ending was enough to make me cry. This is a monster game for such a small Studio and I only wish that more people would take a gamble and buy this game, despite the reviews. It needs a beast of a computer to run, but after playing this game, it's certainly worth it. I only wish that I could tell the developers how much I've enjoyed this game. It's a dream come true. Expand
  28. MattC.
    Jun 30, 2007
    I agree at some times the load times were long... but not THAT long. I'm running a GeForce 6800 and only a P4 2.8 ghz engine with the quality settings all the way up.. only changing the Pixel Shader down to 2 instead of 3. Most top of the line graphics cards can only run Pixel Shader 2. Only the brand new cards are able to run Shader 3. Many of you are having problems because of this I agree at some times the load times were long... but not THAT long. I'm running a GeForce 6800 and only a P4 2.8 ghz engine with the quality settings all the way up.. only changing the Pixel Shader down to 2 instead of 3. Most top of the line graphics cards can only run Pixel Shader 2. Only the brand new cards are able to run Shader 3. Many of you are having problems because of this fact. Game ran beautifully on my computer with no hiccups at all and the graphics quality is still excellent. Expand
  29. RebeccaS.
    Jun 6, 2007
    It should be noted that many of the reviews (and my rating) are based on the year-old European release, which was rather dodgy in parts. The US release has apparently been much improved.
  30. RenanK.
    Jun 4, 2007
    A game with a quite repetitive storyline.. make the awesome experience with game on beginning falls to an awful and boring experience after a few hours, maybe minutes. Unfortunately its a waste of potential.
  31. OlegT.
    Apr 24, 2007
    A good example where presentation complements gameplay (not vice versa!). Charismatic and versatile. The levels for Billy save the game from being monotonous gunning all the way to the bitter end. For its flaws it'still very good.
  32. TiagoM.
    Feb 26, 2007
    I haven´t seen a game so good since Half-Life 2 and it´s sequel. I wasn´t expecting much when I bought it to be frank...but it it was quite a surprise. It´s even more original than Condemned: Criminal Origins, which is not easy to match. The way Billy and the Reverend link in different parts of the story is absolutely amazing. It´s a western, an outstanding I haven´t seen a game so good since Half-Life 2 and it´s sequel. I wasn´t expecting much when I bought it to be frank...but it it was quite a surprise. It´s even more original than Condemned: Criminal Origins, which is not easy to match. The way Billy and the Reverend link in different parts of the story is absolutely amazing. It´s a western, an outstanding and playable western. Oh..and the landscapes you see are really a present for your eyes. Since it´s hard too decide what perfect is I give it a 9, I'll remember the story for ever. Expand
  33. SmoodRankin
    Feb 26, 2007
    This game is absolutely brilliant. The problem is these kids that have no patience or appreciation for a true shooter... instead adhering to their kiddy Counter strike games going at 100 mph with pin point accuracy. Call of Juarez brings realism and excitement to the FPS scene and does so with a style and story so incredible you won't know where these developers came from. SeraphiM AThis game is absolutely brilliant. The problem is these kids that have no patience or appreciation for a true shooter... instead adhering to their kiddy Counter strike games going at 100 mph with pin point accuracy. Call of Juarez brings realism and excitement to the FPS scene and does so with a style and story so incredible you won't know where these developers came from. SeraphiM A is a complete MORON. Rob E. lesser so. Expand
  34. BellinoP.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Guns ,horses,sneaking and a great story . What more could you want.
  35. PavelD.
    Dec 16, 2006
    Amazing Game!
  36. Willium_Bob_Cole
    Dec 14, 2006
    This looks brilliant, has an inventive story line, and nice little gameplay ideas. Only problem is on even mid range computers run really slowly, playing this on lowest graphical settings!!! Should have spent more money investing in making it work well on low spec comps!
  37. SeraphiMA.
    Nov 14, 2006
    Absolutely Horrible. I have a pretty damn good system. 3.2 HT, ATI X 1600 Pro 512MB, Audigy 4, 1GB Ram, 300GB HD. The Game still ran like crap on Medium settings, which by the way look like old Counter Strike GFX. Load times were up to 3minutes. Aside from poor programming and tons of bugs, lets talk about the game itself. There is an extremely difficult feeling in the way the set the Absolutely Horrible. I have a pretty damn good system. 3.2 HT, ATI X 1600 Pro 512MB, Audigy 4, 1GB Ram, 300GB HD. The Game still ran like crap on Medium settings, which by the way look like old Counter Strike GFX. Load times were up to 3minutes. Aside from poor programming and tons of bugs, lets talk about the game itself. There is an extremely difficult feeling in the way the set the movement up. It Expand
  38. PaulC.
    Oct 5, 2006
    A great departure from the rest, almost in it's own category with solid story, sublime scenery and graphics, and realistic action and adventure. With all graphic options cranked "Call of Juarez" rivals or tops "Far Cry" and "Call of Duty 2". The rabbit hunt was the best use of slow-motion 'bullet-time' that I've ever experienced. The outdoor nature scenes create a A great departure from the rest, almost in it's own category with solid story, sublime scenery and graphics, and realistic action and adventure. With all graphic options cranked "Call of Juarez" rivals or tops "Far Cry" and "Call of Duty 2". The rabbit hunt was the best use of slow-motion 'bullet-time' that I've ever experienced. The outdoor nature scenes create a different pace for this game; it may not satisfy someone's need to race around streets and kill 6 million people. For me this game will be remember as one of the best that I've played in the past 25 years. Expand
  39. RobE.
    Oct 5, 2006
    I'm with the other reviewer on this one. If you don't like games like thief, you'll hate half this game. Nothing is more frustating than being artificially forced to creep, hide, swing, jump, hide, instead of just six-gunning their varmint hides down. If the whole game was about the preacher, it would be awesome. Instead half the game is a test of patience.
  40. ArdumB.
    Sep 23, 2006
    Deserves about 8. It's a pretty rich game. Unique atmosphere for a FPS. Last good western we had was Outlaws. So it's refreshing. The graphics are a mix of old and new, but overall look very very good. Recommended.
  41. TerzH.
    Sep 17, 2006
    Wow, a great gaming experience! It's not a "run and shoot" game like zillion others in the market. Instead you have to adapt to the situation, use environment and shoot from behind cover! Bullet time is coolest ever! Also the physics engine is so good that I wish they had used it more. Just try throwing bean cans in the air and shooting them. Great fun! Only minus points are the long Wow, a great gaming experience! It's not a "run and shoot" game like zillion others in the market. Instead you have to adapt to the situation, use environment and shoot from behind cover! Bullet time is coolest ever! Also the physics engine is so good that I wish they had used it more. Just try throwing bean cans in the air and shooting them. Great fun! Only minus points are the long stealth missions, where there is only one path to victory. But the scenery is so fantastic that I even enjoyed the missions where you have to climb a mountain, hunt rabbits etc. It is nice change of pace between the intense shootouts! Furthermore, I found the story very interesting. I really recommend this one to all friends of tactical shooters and a good story. Expand
  42. LordS
    Sep 14, 2006
    The parts when you play the reverend are the best part of the game. The sneaking parts absolutely suck. If they were shorter or something it would be an awesome game, as it is I'll give it a 6 / 10. I enjoyed the story and even the cut scenes (load times are super long even on decent hardware). You do have to suffer for about 30 minutes before you finally get to play the reverend. The parts when you play the reverend are the best part of the game. The sneaking parts absolutely suck. If they were shorter or something it would be an awesome game, as it is I'll give it a 6 / 10. I enjoyed the story and even the cut scenes (load times are super long even on decent hardware). You do have to suffer for about 30 minutes before you finally get to play the reverend. And even his part starts out sucky (hand to hand combat). Finally you get some good parts as you get to take out all the townfolk you've been sneaking past / preaching too. So after about an hour of gameplay you finally get into the fun. But damned it's fun whipping out the bible and then shooting someone! Expand
  43. Brakiri
    Sep 12, 2006
    Best western-shooter in existence. Very good story, and believable characters. The game is MUCH better, then the overall "professional" opinions might suggest. Another example that professional not neccessarily means competent and objective.
  44. DragosA.
    Sep 5, 2006
    One of the fiew FPS games witch succeds to give the player a real western feeling with high quality and next-generation graphics even if it doesnt reach the performance of Half-Life 2 and other games.The shadows and distand land are just gorgious.The most inpressive thing is the gameplay, very variated and realistic for example the objects made out of wood burn after the contact with One of the fiew FPS games witch succeds to give the player a real western feeling with high quality and next-generation graphics even if it doesnt reach the performance of Half-Life 2 and other games.The shadows and distand land are just gorgious.The most inpressive thing is the gameplay, very variated and realistic for example the objects made out of wood burn after the contact with fire.There are some little problems with the AI and sound but you can pass easily over them.My final impression is that Call of Juarez is one of the best shooters this year with an unic ideea and the first game of Techland witch has been able to impress me. Expand

1. Overall Juarez is not a bad FPS, with its unusual setting and unique approach; it’s just not as good as it could have been, suffering as it does from some real wasted potential.
  2. The presentation is nothing short of stunning in places, but is nothing above terrible in others. It hooks you at the beginning with a promising storyline and the popular setting, but just seems to not care if it keeps you on the line or not, sinking into mediocrity way too often to ever draw you all the way in.
  3. PC Gamer UK
    When was the last time you played a game where you could make your horse slide down the face of a cliff, shooting with the six-gun in your left hand while reading from the Bible in your right? [Oct 2006, p.84]