7.9

1. Aug 22, 2014
    The concept of Call of Juarez is great and is what drew me in to buy the game. Some of the in game concepts like the slow motion target selection and silent arrow kills are great, but they don't make up for the rest of this games failings.

Epic load times mean that you are already frustrated with this game even before you start to play. A lack of a proper tutorial, in some of the games major aspects, such as getting around with the whip make the first hour of this game incredibly frustrating. The massive amount of dialogue followed by lots of walking around doing nothing followed by short spats of actual shooting at bad guys make this game boring and frustrating.

The linear combat and level design make this a one play through game, if you even end up finishing it at all. Half the game is spent running away from enemies rather than fighting them and traveling through a vast empty terrain for what feels like an eternity with nothing to do but look at the scenery.

What really annoys me about this game is that when you get bored of riding around doing nothing for 5 minutes and you want to shoot at a few wild animals to curb you boredom the game kills you and reloads because the developers don't believe in harming animals!!! Was this game developed by the WSPA!!! But wait, killing humans is OK but i cant kill a wild animal, COME ON!!!

This game is defiantly beautiful to look at and for its time has some cool in game features, but as a playable title, it fails. Having payed for this game, I won't be bothered to pay for, or play any of its sequels.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Call of Juarez is both a first-person shooter and a stealth game. You plays some levels as Reverend Ray a creepily charismatic character, a former bandit turned a priest but still ready to use his guns and others as his young nephew Billy, always sneaking around his enemies.

The FPS with Reverend Ray is gripping and a lot of fun, with nice ideas like the concentration mode, the peculiar two guns mode and the duels.

The levels with Billy bored me to tears, and honestly I played them just to get the next Reverend Ray part. The developers did a far better job with action than with stealth: the former crackles with excitement, the latter is clunky and repetitive.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    Great game with replay value because I'm now playing it again. The graphics are pretty darned good for that time period. The in game vistas are stunning. The western style, cowboy music is great. The voice acting particularly Ray's and Billie's, are perfect. My ONLY objection is the dead eye accuracy and radar vision of the A.I. As the player I wish I could shoot and spot the enemyGreat game with replay value because I'm now playing it again. The graphics are pretty darned good for that time period. The in game vistas are stunning. The western style, cowboy music is great. The voice acting particularly Ray's and Billie's, are perfect. My ONLY objection is the dead eye accuracy and radar vision of the A.I. As the player I wish I could shoot and spot the enemy that accurately. Use your quick save function liberally. Other than that I wish more games of this superb quality in this genre would come out. Expand
  4. May 26, 2013
    +Alot of attention to pacing, narrative, and character
    +You can play between 2 very different characters
    +Concentration mode is so fun, its essentially requires you to look at both sides of the screen as your cursors move to the center of the screen in slow motion and fire a bullet via left and right mouse buttons. Its alot of fun and requires good timing. +unlockable artwork and wanted
    +Alot of attention to pacing, narrative, and character
    +You can play between 2 very different characters
    +unlockable artwork and wanted posters are fun
    +- sneaking does require a bit of practice and a bit of luck
    -poorly designed levels
    -no poker
    -starts to limp narrative/pacing wise towards the end
  5. May 4, 2013
    it isn't bad it's a good game it would be awesome except for some issues and bugs it could get frustrating sometimes but it gives you the western feel after all story isn't that good but it is satisfying
    in all not a bad game worth playing
  6. Mar 9, 2013
    I liked this game, but I didn't love it. If they had kept the whole game during the civil war and on civil war battlefields, this would have been one of the best games I had every played. Unfortunately, they go west and the game goes flat. Great voice acting, though.
  7. Jun 17, 2012
    Very nice game. The story, graphics and the sounds are really good. This is the best western game i ever played and the Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. The tasks are nice. You need to ride a horse, duel, jumping with lasso and a lot of more.
  8. Feb 22, 2012
    Definitely one of the best western games ever made. Only Outlaws, and, maybe, the Red Dead series are better. Ray's storyline wasn't all that great - it was rather predictable and boring at times. The kid's story line was better, if sometimes he was too whiny for my taste. The graphics were kind of hit and miss - the scenery was absolutely awesome (especially the feather level), butDefinitely one of the best western games ever made. Only Outlaws, and, maybe, the Red Dead series are better. Ray's storyline wasn't all that great - it was rather predictable and boring at times. The kid's story line was better, if sometimes he was too whiny for my taste. The graphics were kind of hit and miss - the scenery was absolutely awesome (especially the feather level), but the people had some strange shading to them. All in all, it was one of the more underrated games I've ever tried. I really enjoyed it. Expand
  9. May 29, 2011
    Terrible level design means you can easily sneak off the map and see everything from the outside as if you had noclipped. Swinging mechanics with the whip are godawful. Combat just isn't all that fun.

For all the charm the game has (and it definitely has it,) it's just not enough to save a game that's fundamentally broken.
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    That's what i call one of the best games of all time! I was waiting a western game like for ever and it finally came true. What can i say, i felt in love with that game... Each mission is like having sex with the most beautiful girls on this planet. The storyline is just perfect, the voice acting was so well performed that i thought i was in there in real-time! At the End it was so deepThat's what i call one of the best games of all time! I was waiting a western game like for ever and it finally came true. What can i say, i felt in love with that game... Each mission is like having sex with the most beautiful girls on this planet. The storyline is just perfect, the voice acting was so well performed that i thought i was in there in real-time! At the End it was so deep that i started to cry, yup its true.
    i so loved the duels like the old wild west, riding a horse,... The caracters really had an incredible story to tell. Every weapon on that game is unique. Every mission was diferent, like i was playing a new game of call of juarez.
    Chrome Engine really did a great touch on the graphics, i will definitely watch every game what will be released with that engine. The gameplay is awesome, AI is like they would be real enemies, lile they were defending and attacking by them selfs without any scripts, superb.
    This game should have more sales, Techland really deserved having more profits. Multiplayer of that game is unique, so awesome... I could spend the whole day to praise that game... I do want a sequel but wild west too...
    Let's see how Cal of Juarez:the Cartel will be, hope another awesome game like Bound in Blood.
    Thank you for that great Game Techland and for publishing it Ubisoft, i'm so thankfull

1. Overall Juarez is not a bad FPS, with its unusual setting and unique approach; it’s just not as good as it could have been, suffering as it does from some real wasted potential.
  2. The presentation is nothing short of stunning in places, but is nothing above terrible in others. It hooks you at the beginning with a promising storyline and the popular setting, but just seems to not care if it keeps you on the line or not, sinking into mediocrity way too often to ever draw you all the way in.
  3. When was the last time you played a game where you could make your horse slide down the face of a cliff, shooting with the six-gun in your left hand while reading from the Bible in your right? [Oct 2006, p.84]