Castle Crashers PC

7.8

1. Dec 17, 2013
    The bad: very repetitive and long game. Too difficult at times. Not always clear how to defeat a certain enemy.
    What keeps you going: the animations are amazing, the different worlds and beautiful graphics kept me picking this game up each time.
  2. Jan 5, 2014
    Probably the best fun I've had with a beat em up since I played Target Renegade on the C64. I bought it thinking I probably wouldn't play much then I got completely sucked in and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
  3. Jul 24, 2013
    For an old school genre that has gone nearly extinct Castle Crashers is a very well done game. The fighting physics is superb which is so important in this genre, also the graphics are really crisp and vibrant, a absolute joy to look at. Now lets talk about the minor gripes that I have with this game. First, why is there no combo count in this game? Second, the leveling in Castle CrashersFor an old school genre that has gone nearly extinct Castle Crashers is a very well done game. The fighting physics is superb which is so important in this genre, also the graphics are really crisp and vibrant, a absolute joy to look at. Now lets talk about the minor gripes that I have with this game. First, why is there no combo count in this game? Second, the leveling in Castle Crashers is not really necessary. Games of this sort usually starts the players off with all abilities intact. The essence of this genre has always been about difficulty and perfecting combos preferably with a friend or two not leveling. That said this is still one of the best beat them up games that I have come across sense the days of old Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2013
    The game itself is fantastic! The humor, gameplay and the low price make it worth every penny.

Unfortunately, the developers were lazy making the port. When playing on a keyboard, you will have NO idea what you're doing. The game doesn't tell you how to play and the tutorials show the XBOX controls, not the keys. Overall, the game is damn near perfect. The only real problem is the

Overall, the game is damn near perfect. The only real problem is the the lazy PC port. If you don't own a controller but don't mind 30 minutes or fiddling and clicking, the game is perfect for you! If you own a controller and can connect it to your computer. BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!
  5. Jan 28, 2013
    One of the best indie games ever made hands down. It has it all. Excellent fluid gameplay that stands up to multiple playthroughs. Humor. Difficulty. AND IT'S CHEAP AS DIRT. Now that's what an indie game should be. High quality oldschool gameplay for a few dollars. Forget all these boring cookie cutter art games coming out. I want to PLAY my games.
  6. Nov 8, 2012
    Although I found it a bit weird that it took 4 years after the initial release on the Xbox 360, for it to come out on PC, it still doesn't really matter, because I finally have it, and I have finally enjoyed it. Castle Crashers for PC is just like the Xbox 360 and PS3 version. Fun, medieval sword fighting against evil knights, monsters, and strange creatures. The game is very nicely done,Although I found it a bit weird that it took 4 years after the initial release on the Xbox 360, for it to come out on PC, it still doesn't really matter, because I finally have it, and I have finally enjoyed it. Castle Crashers for PC is just like the Xbox 360 and PS3 version. Fun, medieval sword fighting against evil knights, monsters, and strange creatures. The game is very nicely done, with good graphics, and fun, addicting levels and gameplay. Castle Crashers is best enjoyed through online multiplayer with friends or strangers. That said, the game lets you enable voice chat for a more fun multiplayer experience. I seriously think it's a powerful, and engaging fighting experience. Even if it is very cartoony. CC for PC receives a 9/10 from me. Expand
  7. Mar 3, 2013
    A remake of Golden Axe after 20 years and with worst graphics. Thats all. Well, a bit RPG here, but nothing to make the difference. It was like "Why am I playing a TMNT game when I could be playing something new?". I like modern remakes, like Legend of Grimrock, but they must be MODERN and FUN. This has nothing of that.
  8. Nov 2, 2015
    **** this game is **** dog don't buy this game money go wind meself tatatatatbabababababababbabacatabatacatabata* game get reckt mazafakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    Game: Castle Crashers
    Genre: Beat Em Up RPG
    Developer: The Behemoth System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 90/100 Value Score: 9.0/10 Castle Crashers was originally a console exclusive indie Beat Em Up game but now it's available on Steam for a decent price alongside its DLC. The game consists of a medieval style plot, with humor and a lot of blood and gore added to the mix with its
    Game: Castle Crashers
    Genre: Beat Em Up RPG
    Developer: The Behemoth
    System: Steam (PC)
    Total Score: 90/100
    Value Score: 9.0/10

Castle Crashers was originally a console exclusive indie Beat Em Up game but now it's available on Steam for a decent price alongside its DLC. The game consists of a medieval style plot, with humor and a lot of blood and gore added to the mix with its Beat Em Up gameplay style that clearly will scream nostalgia for fans of Streets of Rage, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Battletoads and Final Fight it also includes a RPG Leveling up system which adds a bit more depth to the overall gameplay experience as you can increase your stats or learn new attacks. The game also provides a great multiplayer experience with up to 4 players who can engage in the main campaign which comes in two difficulty flavors or duke it out in a arena type PVP style mode.

• Story: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

+Nostalgic Beat Em Up Genre
    +Great Multiplayer
    +RPG style level up system which includes powering up stats and learning techniques and skills.
    +Different difficulty modes
    +Versus modes/PVP
    +Unique art style and animations not seen in most games
    +Play as different types of characters with their own fighting style
    +A lot of great humor added throughout the game.
    +Decent plotline

-Really short in its main campaign
  10. Oct 18, 2014
    A rather funny and short beat-em up game. The best way to play it is local cooping and using gamepads. In that case a decent 5-something-hour fun for all the participants is guaranteed!
  11. Nov 22, 2012
    Just as great as the xbox version. Playing with friends is easy, total steam integration is a plus. The default keyboard controls work fine but they display xbox buttons in the ui for interactions, so if you don't read the control scheme beforehand you might fumble around once in a while. Obviously meant to be played with a gamepad but -1 for a lazy ui port.
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    THE GOOD: Castle Crashers has been a long standing top seller for the XBOX360 and PS3 for a number of years, but was only released on the PC via Steam in September. Wow, first off it's surprisingly fun and simple to play. Gameplay is rudimentary reminiscent to Sega's Golden Axe. Wave after wave of enemies approach you on each screen, with health and weapon pick-up's along the way. InTHE GOOD: Castle Crashers has been a long standing top seller for the XBOX360 and PS3 for a number of years, but was only released on the PC via Steam in September. Wow, first off it's surprisingly fun and simple to play. Gameplay is rudimentary reminiscent to Sega's Golden Axe. Wave after wave of enemies approach you on each screen, with health and weapon pick-up's along the way. In addition to this, you also have a character level system. As you mash your way through the game your character levels up and you're able to spend skill points on various attributes (including strength, defense and magic). I say it's similar to Golden Axe, but frequently you are presented with a boss or scene that can see you riding on the back of deer being chased by a large forest monster or heading down the river, trying to jump on logs and other wreckage to prevent being eaten by sharks. Visually the cartoon look is polished, with the animation of characters top notch. I found some of the characters actually make me laugh so kudos to Behemoth Studios' art/animation department for this. Sound and music is suitably well done.

THE BAD: The leveling system means that some levels are tough and require repeated attempts before they can be completed. This rinse/repeat method can be frustrated but as you progress through the game world, you encounter side levels such as arena's or other castles - which are a welcome diversion from main A-to-B quest line. Overall the title is a welcome addition to Steam. Get crashing those castles now!
  13. AWG
    Jul 21, 2013
    Pretty meh. Castle Crashers gave me nothing really interesting and very (VERY) little in terms of entertainment. 5/10 would not play again after two tries.
  14. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is a fantastic, easy to pick up, beat them up coop experience.
    It has character development, lots of humor combos and it's really easy to pick up and learn.
    I doubt the solo experience it's even rewarding, but when playing this game on coop, it's really great Sometimes the fighting gets "smash the buttons I do not see anything" but overall, it encourages you to go ahead on
    This game is a fantastic, easy to pick up, beat them up coop experience.
    to go ahead on the game.
    really good game that can be purchased very cheap.
    3 game modes that are great
  15. Jul 30, 2013
    It is a good game! But its replay value is not good. Maybe because of this "problem", we don't find many people playing it nowadays. Which is sort of a sad thing.
  16. Dec 7, 2013
    An amazing beat them up coop experience with not so rewarding solo game play. The game is fun especially with three more friends to do the campaign with. Also a controller is recommended.
  17. Dec 30, 2013
    This relatively inexpensive game (purchased for PC via Steam) is a rather addictive and fun way to entertain yourself and company for a day. The gameplay is simple and fun, the levels are interesting and offer different maps (from castles, forests, river-fights to an alien spaceship) to give the eyes something new to look at. Multiplayer is quite fun, and the little pets who can accompanyThis relatively inexpensive game (purchased for PC via Steam) is a rather addictive and fun way to entertain yourself and company for a day. The gameplay is simple and fun, the levels are interesting and offer different maps (from castles, forests, river-fights to an alien spaceship) to give the eyes something new to look at. Multiplayer is quite fun, and the little pets who can accompany you each have their own abilities to aid you in your quest.

That said, it is a very long and arduous game at times, and levels can take quite a few times to defeat if the player can't get the hang of a particular boss or mob. If you don't have a controller...good luck to you. I couldn't figure it out, and with the limited tutorial and, at that time, my limited knowledge of PC controls, it was frustrating until my boyfriend lent me his Xbox controller.

People will love this game initially; but good luck making it to the finish. I want to love this game, I really do, but with no end in sight, I've set it aside and forgotten it while I've moved on to other games that have shorter tasks.
  18. Mar 21, 2014
    A solid experience. There seems to be a lot of poop in this game, however, most of this game is playable for people who don't appreciate toilet humour.
  19. Mar 4, 2014
    Just like on XBOX, it still just as good and fun. I love that this game supported Full control which is nice so I can just sit back and play it just like how I would play it on an XBOX.
  20. Jun 21, 2014
    Really nice 2D side-scrolling RPG smashing game. The Co-op mode is multiplying the gameplay experience and gives you tons of funny moments. The cartoon graphic is highlighting the humor of this game. I recommend it more for multiplayer, but single play gives funny time and challenges battles as well.
  21. Jun 24, 2015
    Castle Crashers, a game developed by The Behemoth - the same people that recently developed for Steam "BattleBlock Theater". Castle Crashers is a fun game to play alone and with your friends with its great music and wacky comedy (from farting birds to bears reading newspapers then farting), the only thing I have to comment about is the level of difficulty, I don't know how easy it is withCastle Crashers, a game developed by The Behemoth - the same people that recently developed for Steam "BattleBlock Theater". Castle Crashers is a fun game to play alone and with your friends with its great music and wacky comedy (from farting birds to bears reading newspapers then farting), the only thing I have to comment about is the level of difficulty, I don't know how easy it is with a friend with Co-Op/Multiplayer but on your own with Singleplayer it can be really difficult sometimes and also if you have a controller... USE IT! This game does not run well with a keyboard and the developers weren't bothered to change the XBOX symbols to keyboard symbols and vice versa, so if you were like me at first playing with a keyboard, your kinda stuck and it is very un-enjoyable to play with a keyboard, so if you have or you can afford one, play with a controller by all means necessary! Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2016
    A really fun, entertaining game. Terrible to play without a controller, so this shouldn't really be a PC port as they did not optimise it to work well on a keyboard, it's hard to just press A to move left, you can't as you have to use diagonal, so a joystick is essential.

While I like playing this game, keyboard controls are frustrating and if Iam playing on PC I shouldn't have to use a controller to be able to play a game. I use a razer gaming keypad and that still does not work well with the game. So I had to use my PS controller to be able to play the game properly. Though the controls it lists are for XBox controller.

Don't recommend this game if you don't want to use a controller.
  23. Nov 3, 2014
    A funny, cute co-op beat em up. My fiance and I loved playing this game through, finding all the secrets and using the unique mechanics. Despite the fun it gives there are a few things that could have been improved. Enemies take a long time and a lot of hits to kill which can be annoying when you just want to progress and waves of enemies keep flooding in. Leveling up is a chore. LevelingA funny, cute co-op beat em up. My fiance and I loved playing this game through, finding all the secrets and using the unique mechanics. Despite the fun it gives there are a few things that could have been improved. Enemies take a long time and a lot of hits to kill which can be annoying when you just want to progress and waves of enemies keep flooding in. Leveling up is a chore. Leveling up takes longer than it should. Weapons are interchangeable and samey, most of the weapons look different and thats it. The animal companions are cute and sometimes helpful but most of them are usually ineffective and never deliver.
    Overall, this game is okay alone, a blast with a friend or two but after a fun 1st play through but i dont think you can enjoy it as much a second time.
  24. Jun 19, 2015
    Castel Crashers is a Indie game very addictive and fun,with simple combo.First time I play this game i found it strange and I thought I would get bored quickly but actually it was not so.I recommend this funny weird game :)
  25. Jan 4, 2016
    Esse jogo é muito legal mais só que não recomendo jogar sozinho por que pode ser intediante com amigos é muito melhor e no remastered tiraram o minigame quebra controle o que eu não gostei.
  26. Jun 22, 2016
    I received Castle Crashers as a gift from an old friend some years ago, and didn’t get around to finishing it until just yesterday. Its a 90s-style beat-em-up for up to four player coop both local and online, originally featured on Xbox Live Arcade before finding its true home here on PC. While they recommend that you use an Xbox controller, I can safely say that using a keyboard is muchI received Castle Crashers as a gift from an old friend some years ago, and didn’t get around to finishing it until just yesterday. Its a 90s-style beat-em-up for up to four player coop both local and online, originally featured on Xbox Live Arcade before finding its true home here on PC. While they recommend that you use an Xbox controller, I can safely say that using a keyboard is much more responsive and in the long run will save you some frustration. Combat is fast and frenetic and you can quickly find yourself stunlocked into oblivion, so it is important to learn the game’s exceedingly simple but egregiously spamable combos so that you screw over your enemies harder then they could ever do to you. It’s also one of those games where ordinary packs of enemies are more dangerous then bosses, mostly due to their numbers and worse, a lack of mook chivalry- everything that can attack you at once, WILL attack you at once. I believe I initially left off of the campaign out of frustration over its apparent difficulty, though I now understand that what I thought was legitimate challenge was really just a lot of cheap ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t, which I was able to overcome by cheesing the game right back. That said, I enjoyed Castle Crashers’ bizarre art style, colorful palette and responsive controls, as well as its rather large range of characters and weapons. I completed a playthrough as the green knight with a focus on strength and defense, which proved a relatively safe and reliable approach. There is a dizzying lineup of unlockable characters, some of which require at least two playthroughs to acquire. While readily enjoyable alone once one learns how to play, Castle Crashers is an experience best shared with others in coop multiplayer. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    An absolute addiction, a thoroughly entertaining beat’em up. Despite its age (it was first released for the Xbox, four years ago), it’s a first class option for frantic co-op mayhem. [November 2012]
  2. Sep 28, 2012