8.1

1. May 1, 2014
    WISH game maker made game NEW ideas, not just same game different background. and scenes and whole game too short for the money :( damn. maybe my disappointment is bigger because i waited this game. should had looked more .
  2. qtf
    May 2, 2014
    Boring, bland and no depth. they have ruined the jump n run aspect 10 minutes into the game by giving you the ability to fly. The rpg system is almost nonexistant, this makes look Mass Effect like BG2 (that means this game has no strategic depth). As others have said normal is way too easy and hard is just grindy, not actually hard. Combat system is stolen from Grandia with slight changes,Boring, bland and no depth. they have ruined the jump n run aspect 10 minutes into the game by giving you the ability to fly. The rpg system is almost nonexistant, this makes look Mass Effect like BG2 (that means this game has no strategic depth). As others have said normal is way too easy and hard is just grindy, not actually hard. Combat system is stolen from Grandia with slight changes, e.g. making it simpler so people can pretend they are playing an actual RPG. This game has terrible rhymes and takes itself too seriously, considering the poor writing. The atmosphere and music are not half bad but this is supposed to be a game and not a children's tale or a heavy rain clone, right? Expand
  3. May 2, 2014
    The storyline and platforming are god-awful but the combat brings some new twists to the genre that are enjoyable. Overall it's a meh experience.

I'd honestly rate the game higher if it were just a series of back to back fights with no story or platforming in between them because those aspects of the game were just horrible. It's weird to me that the makers of Assassin's Creed could make such a sub-par platformer.
  4. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    Bad PC optimization, cliche story. Gameplay wise... well I didn't get to it 'cus of the bad optimization!
  5. Aug 1, 2014
    Child of light is very appealing to the eye, it's like a living, breathing painting. That is where the greatness of Child of Light stops. Everything else is simply not attractive enough to make me want to play, during my time with the game, I had to force myself to play it every time. The story is at first exciting and interesting, but falls flat very quickly. The actions, plots and twistsChild of light is very appealing to the eye, it's like a living, breathing painting. That is where the greatness of Child of Light stops. Everything else is simply not attractive enough to make me want to play, during my time with the game, I had to force myself to play it every time. The story is at first exciting and interesting, but falls flat very quickly. The actions, plots and twists of the story are too predictable, I wasn't at any point surprised. The gameplay is actually decent enough, just strolling around solving puzzles, fighting different type of monsters and exploring to find the next 'epic' chest. Then why a score of 3? It all becomes very repetitive in a matter of minutes and it is waaay too easy, no real skill is required to succed in the game at all. The different types of enemies are way to similar for my taste.

I was dissapointed and I believe you will too, if you pay full price
  6. Jun 13, 2014
    There's something about Child of Light I just don't like. Really there's many thing I don't like about the game. I find it a very shallow experience for a Japanese-style RPG. It takes various element from far better games, but completely fails to emulate those elements and put them to good use. It's a poor replacement for the genre it attempts to mimic.
    The only positive thing I can say
    The only positive thing I can say is that Child of Light is very pretty. If it was a visual novel and you're Japanese, that would actually matter. But in reality, pretty graphics don't mean **** So my one compliment was a back-handed one. This review is off to a great start.
    Everyone else's complaint is the rhyming . More me, it was the worst **** part of the game. I don't even mean from a literary stand point, I just thought it was **** stupid. It got to the point where I'd mindlessly press the spacebar without reading. The need to construct all the narrative and dialog as if it was poetry was very distracting and took me out of the experience.
    One thing I noticed about this game was it's similarities to Eternal Sonata in terms of the story. I'd rather not even talk about that game, so I'll just say: if you've played it you know exactly what I mean with a dying person's dream aspect. If you however have not played Enternal Sonata then good for you, and don't bother playing COL either.
    Combat and leveling are the two most important parts of any good RPG and COL is a mismatched of Final Fantasy X and Persona 3, but mostly FFX. In battle you have access to only 2 characters at a time. At the bottom of the screen is a bar with portraits of each of the combatants. Once one of the character's cursor reaches the red portion of the time bar you can make you commands. You can then attack, defend, use an item, or switch them out for one of your reserved party members much like in FFX.
    If at the same time an enemy is posed to attack you can shine you mouse controlled firefly to slow down their attack. If done correctly and you hit them first, the enemy will be interrupted. Of course your attacks can be interrupted also, so deciding whether attempting to interrupt them or if defending is a better option, seeing at guarding will decrease the amount of time before your next turn.
    The time bar and interruptions kinda reminds me of the knock down system from Persona 3 just not nearly as fun. It does add a level of strategic thinking and make the battles more intense, but I found it mostly annoying. It sounds cool and innovative on paper but in practice it's more of a chore.
    Another nod toward FINAL FANTASY X is COL's skill trees. Ok it's not really a tree and there aren't many skills. The board is mostly occupied my stat upgrades, much like FFX's sphere grid. But unlike Ten, when a character levels up, so does their stats, which makes assigning skill points more like a bonus. Which isn't bad, I'd just rather have access to more attacks and passive skills.
    There is also a rune system calls oculics. Basically you can attach the stones to one of the three slots on each character. Depending on which of the three you place the stone, their influence with change accordingly. Such as a red stone on a weapon causes fire damage while when in the armor slot increases resistance to fire. Pretty simple and basic, and boring. You can also craft the stone pieces into larger more powerful ones but wait until you got about 20 or so before you start **** with that.
    Since enemy during the 4th chapter will start having elemental abilities and weaknesses, it best to set up each member of you party to combat and resist a particular element. So make sure to keep multiples and leaving crafting until later.
    There are no random battle in COL. An enemy encounter is represented by a single enemy, much like the fore mentioned Persona 3. Also like P3 you can sneak up on the enemy by using your firefly to blind them to gain an advantage in the up coming fight. Or you could just fly over them.
    Now i'm just going to list some more of my gripes about this game before wrapping this review up:
    No weapons or armor to buy or find.
    Items still show up when you scroll through the list in battle, even when you don't have it anymore.
    The Puzzles are less puzzling then the praise this game gets
    It's boring.
    I just can't get over how lame this game it. It's so boring. When it's not boring it's tedious. And when it's not tedious it's boring. Jesus who's idea was it to make everything rhyme. I spent 4 hours with this game. The first hour I really gave it a shot. My entire first hour in up on youtube so go see if I'm gave this game a fair try. Because by hour 2 I was ready to stop. I don't really like to bring up other games in my reviews. I'd rather base my experience on the game at hand. But I just can't help it. COL takes ideas and mechanics from other games, leaving me wishing I was playing them instead.
  7. Aug 22, 2014
    I won't deny its visually lovely. But storyline is totally spoiled by atrocious rhyming conceit. Could have benefited from authors reading beautiful classics the Little Magic Horse during conception. Gameplay limiting, but ok. Music beautiful at first, but incredibly repetitive. Had people watching ask to turn it off. Sad, because this should be nice for viewers too... but they found theI won't deny its visually lovely. But storyline is totally spoiled by atrocious rhyming conceit. Could have benefited from authors reading beautiful classics the Little Magic Horse during conception. Gameplay limiting, but ok. Music beautiful at first, but incredibly repetitive. Had people watching ask to turn it off. Sad, because this should be nice for viewers too... but they found the whole thing too repetitive. Tries to tell a story... fails in many ways.
    Wasn't enough in it for adults. Fight scenes would have benefited from indication of health of enemy. Overall, found it very intellectually dead. Great that female characters dominated... hate the only two archetypes available: simpering idiot ie Aurora and wicked stepsisters.
    Glad I paidfor it to see something different and interesting. I want to encourage this kind of experiment. Would still buy again. But REALLY sad that they buried that story in the awful rhyme. This is a story driven game and I was only surprised or interested at one point in the game. Other than that completely predictable.

1. Aug 29, 2014
    Every aspect of Child of Light has an unmistakably artisinal, organic feel to it.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    Gorgeous and captivating with a great combat system. [Issue#249, p.57]
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    Gorgeous graphics combine with a fantastic combat system to deliver a pretty unique experience. [June 2014, p.60]