1.3

Overwhelming dislike- based on 93 Ratings

1. Jul 26, 2013
    Citadels seems to be inspired by the Settlers and Stronghold series mostly. You can build up your economy, refine materials, build defensive towers and walls, train troops and attack your opponent. Each element of the gameplay is unfortunately pretty basic and unfinished, though. The base for a promising game may be in place but it's like the developer didn't have the resources to finishCitadels seems to be inspired by the Settlers and Stronghold series mostly. You can build up your economy, refine materials, build defensive towers and walls, train troops and attack your opponent. Each element of the gameplay is unfortunately pretty basic and unfinished, though. The base for a promising game may be in place but it's like the developer didn't have the resources to finish it. It also contains some glaring bugs and glitches (i.e. peasants getting stuck idle while constructing because of poor pathfinding, glitchy selection boxes making unit selection difficult...) that suggest that this game should have remained in development much longer. It should definitely not have been released as a full-priced game. Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is well defined by the word "garbage". It looks like a budget game from the previous millennium, but it plays even worse, due to a bug infestation and the clunkiest interface one could think of. Actually this is an unfinished project of a game. Avoid as plague.
  3. Jul 27, 2013
    Seriously, I want to give this game 0, but I decided to give it one, because of the developers' skill of making quick money and then hiding in the shadow. I bought this game because I was so stupid, and because I am a big fan of stronghold games, and was hoping for any castle building RTS to replace Stronghold since the big disappointment of SH 3, but again SH 3 looks so perfect comparingSeriously, I want to give this game 0, but I decided to give it one, because of the developers' skill of making quick money and then hiding in the shadow. I bought this game because I was so stupid, and because I am a big fan of stronghold games, and was hoping for any castle building RTS to replace Stronghold since the big disappointment of SH 3, but again SH 3 looks so perfect comparing to this garbage that they call it Citadels, its buggy, ugly, doesn't work, unoriginal, even things they copied it from other game they made it worse. Bunch of retards can make a better game than this, please avoid it at all cost, and if you already have it, please uninstall it and don't play cause it may gives you AIDS. Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    Horrific game! AVOID THIS GAME! I would rather sit around and do nothing than play this game it is the most awful piece of garbage I've seen released!
  5. Jul 27, 2013
    A clone of various real time strategy game, with all the features, accessibility and FUN stripped out of it. This game is broken and the artificial intelligence is brain dead. The graphics are meh and the gameplay/controls are not very good.
  6. Jul 28, 2013
    Don't read the ones with more then 1 but they have somthing right it is a good setting but it is just... sigh watch total biscuit's wtf of it he will tell how bad it is.
  7. Jul 28, 2013
    I literally just created a Metacritic account in order to express my utter disgust and hatred for not only the game, Citadels, but moreso for the developer, bitComposer. To create a game with such potential at being fun, especially for us Stronghold fans and then to just defecate all over it is abhorrent. bitComposer has lost my business for good with this garbage, and I implore anyoneI literally just created a Metacritic account in order to express my utter disgust and hatred for not only the game, Citadels, but moreso for the developer, bitComposer. To create a game with such potential at being fun, especially for us Stronghold fans and then to just defecate all over it is abhorrent. bitComposer has lost my business for good with this garbage, and I implore anyone considering this game to throw it out of their minds. It holds nothing but disappointment and lost dreams... Expand
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    Warcraft. Starcraft. Age of Empires. Stronghold. These are but a few RTS games you should play instead of this tripe. This is amongst the worst experiences one could ever hope for.

Preformance: Warcraft 3 looks better than this game, and that was released in 2003. Everything is in washed out colors, your units are sometimes the same color as the terrain (God help you if your peasants are ever on dirt. You may never see them again), there's little animation to the models, and the special effects look excessively dated.

Not willing to settle with just looking bad, Citadels takes the extra step to be incompetent from a technological standpoint. If you do ANYTHING, the frame-rate dives. I went from 60 to 20, just by dragging a wall that wasn't even built yet.

The game is exciting, however, in the way that it crashes at random. It seems that if I do anything, there's an RNG going in the background that decides if the game crashes or not. Absolutely dreadful.

Sound: Weak sound effects with even weaker, rather unfitting music. Worse, all of your units speak a Celtic language (I believe) due to it taking place in King Arthur's era. While historically accurate, it kind of takes something away when I can't understand what anyone's saying! They should of made it an option!

You'll probably turn the sound off and replace it with something else within a few moments.

Control: A good RTS needs good control. Hotkeys, clear indications of what things mean, smooth unit control for macro and micromanagement, quick camera control...this game has none of these.

First, no hotkeys, at least, none I was able to discover. You want to quickly build a shack? Nope. You'll have to click it all the way through. Want to build some quick defenses? Gonna have to get clicky with it. The lack of hotkeys already makes the controls miserable, but it's only the beginning.

There are no tooltips, either. For anything. You'll never know what anything does except through trial and error, and even then, you likely still won't understand anything that is happening. This is only made worse by the massive amount of resources in the game.

Population, Wood, Iron Ore, Stone, Stone Blocks, Planks, Gold, Weapons...there's so many things to keep track of, and I don't know where most of it even comes from! You automatically seem to collect gold, although I was unable to find out how, or where.

Everything else, you have to look for, which brings me to another fatal flaw: Outside of wood, you'll never find any of the resources. They blend in with the environments, and they don't show up on your minimap. This means you will likely be stuck without any way to upgrade your troops, as you'll be spending ages running around, trying to find ore or stones hidden throughout the landscape.

The unit control is especially dreadful: Pathfinding is almost nonexistent, sometimes they just flat-out won't follow your orders, and for macromanagement, if you try to drag your mouse to select more than one unit, it takes a while for it to register, making on-the-dot macromanagement impossible.

Unit creation is a pain as well: Peasants aren't only for building structures, they can also be trained to be fighters, which you then send en-masse to a training camp or shooting range, depending on what you want them to be. It's a sloppy way to handle unit creation, as you have to be careful with how many you send.

Building structures sucks. Doesn't matter if you have the resources to build something, if you start building something, the peasant will have to run back to your town hall, get the supplies, and THEN start building. This gets really annoying when building defenses.

Finally, only basic camera controls. You can't have the camera follow a unit, and you can't have it shoot back to your base if under attack.

The control list only shows 5 things. Everything else is unexplained. It's not great.

Gameplay: As basic as it gets. Grab supplies, build town, build troops, kill other towns. However, it can't even pull this off properly.

The AI is flat-out incompetent. It will constantly spawn weak units, and then simply spaz out. Rarely do they ever really attack. You can't ever upgrade anything until you finally find the supplies you need. Ranged units are useless because if the target moves, just a little, the arrows are guaranteed to miss. Everything is extremely slow and sluggish. It's a struggle to stay focused on the game for even 20 minutes.

You can only build structures so fast, seeing how you need an army of peasants to build something at even a decent rate. You'll have to build shacks (gives population) one at a time. It makes no sense!

Don't worry, though, you won't have to suffer with it for long: The game crashes so often, that you'll rarely get a full game in. I haven't even beaten the tutorial yet because of this, and the game doesn't auto-save your progress.

This game isn't finished. We're paying $40 to test a game for these people. Absolutely horrible.
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    In my opinion, this game is simply and clearly unfinished, maybe not even in alpha stage. It is bug ridden, starting with basically non-existant AI, graphics and sound issues, and usually ends after around 10-15 minutes with crashing to desktop. The game looks ugly and plays horribly. I could not recommend this game even if the technical problems were not there, it is actually not worthIn my opinion, this game is simply and clearly unfinished, maybe not even in alpha stage. It is bug ridden, starting with basically non-existant AI, graphics and sound issues, and usually ends after around 10-15 minutes with crashing to desktop. The game looks ugly and plays horribly. I could not recommend this game even if the technical problems were not there, it is actually not worth the time playing it. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is awful, this is 2013 WORST GAME indeed This is impossible to be played, because far too ugly in many ways, the gameplay is worst, the graphics is outdated, the musics is bad, oh my oh my.... 2013 WORST GAME awards!
  11. Aug 6, 2013
    Lamentable que en el 2013 se hagan juegos tan malos como Citadel, el control es muy básico y pobre, la IA del juego es inexistente, gráficamente no esta mal, pero la jugabilidad que tiene lo hace un juego horrible.

Penoso.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    I bought the game when it came out on Steam, and after playing it, I felt very cheated 40 dollars??? This game should cost 2 dollars, hopefully I think even then it was free, it would be a game with success. Thematic repeated unoriginal Poor maps units ugly ugly graphics
  13. Aug 7, 2013
    Terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible game, if you can call it that even... I've seen better pre-alphas. Don't ever buy this, it's not even worth a buck...! Besides, you wouldn't wanna reward the developer and publisher for the turd that this is
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    complete waste of time...after patch the game ist still broken....no support to be found anywhere....huge outcry on steam....shame really, could have been a good game...but Citadels is clearly a fraudulent scam...to ask €39,99 for this is criminal and should be punished.
  15. Aug 9, 2013
    I thought this game would be everything the pc game stronghold wasn't. I couldn't be more disappointed. Poor AI, peasants can't gather ore without getting stuck at something and immobilizing'em. Poor graphics, everything is bad. Campaign is also awful. Sorry guys who made this game but you guys failed.
  16. Nov 16, 2014
    THE WORST game in last 5 years
    from the first moment i got a control of units , i felt i wasted $39.99 on this crap
    dev has gut to charge people on this abysmal failure.
    i expected to revive good moments when i played stronghold 1 and crusader (not second one. that one is piece of junk like this but in lesser degrees)
    boy did i get robbed by blindfolded
    not a redeeming quality in this game
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    Meh, half-finished game that needs alot of polishing. It looks more like an early acces project. Its simply not done and should not be sold as a full game.
  18. Aug 8, 2013
    There are so many things wrong with this game, the graphics are horrid, the AI is so brain dead, they might as well be non-existent, the archers can't shoot any moving target. The list goes on, and on. You would be better off buying stronghold 3.
  19. Aug 14, 2013
    I signed up to this site just to warn people away from this awful disappointment of a game. This could have been great but it's just abysmal at everything. I actually feel genuinely ripped off, can't believe I paid so much money for this, it should be illegal as the game is clearly not finished and is buggy as hell. DONT BUY THIS
  20. Aug 16, 2013
    I wish there were a score lower than 1. I am so very disappointed and I feel ripped off for purchasing this game through Steam. Steam really needs to re-evaluate their return policy regarding games with a score this low. Do not buy this unfinished game!
  21. Aug 17, 2013
    This "game" is a compilation of annoying of bugs and memory leaks and lacks any direction for the player. AT b3662(second patch), the "game" is still unplayable. Why does my computer slow to a crawl after engaging enemy units?
    What idiot decided to release this product?
  22. Aug 17, 2013
    Major fail. Graphic is 10 years old, bugged as hell (tutorial is still impossible to complete, unit never respond, crashes every 3 saves), I'm an experienced player and i've never seen something so bad in my whole life. Stay away from this "game".
  23. Sep 16, 2013
    Should have read metacritic reviews before getting this game. At least if your reading this and haven't bought the game consider yourselves lucky. Any review higher than a 0 is too generous for this horrendous game. In another 1000 years the future people will find this game and think of us as sad and lonely people for having such dismal and lackluster games. I certainly would agree to eatShould have read metacritic reviews before getting this game. At least if your reading this and haven't bought the game consider yourselves lucky. Any review higher than a 0 is too generous for this horrendous game. In another 1000 years the future people will find this game and think of us as sad and lonely people for having such dismal and lackluster games. I certainly would agree to eat a large bucket of plain freshly picked cotton then take another shot at playing this horrid game. I also want to start a new movement to completely eradicate this game from existence, hopefully we can lift this large and unmooving stain on humanity. Expand

1. Sep 3, 2013
    There might be an honest-to-goodness game somewhere in here, lurking underneath the slew of technical issues, uninspired gameplay, game-breaking mechanics and cryptic explanations for how everything fits together. Not that the game would have fit together in the first place, anyway. Whatever may be underneath the game, it’s really not worth the trouble of finding out.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Citadels is a sorry mess that should be avoided. Perhaps the developers will fix at least the basic functions in a few months but there is nothing here that raises any hope that it will even match its competitors then.
  3. Aug 8, 2013
    Put it back in the oven; this game is not ready. Citadels is simply tedious to play. I never once found myself having any semblance of fun. Not only is Citadels not worth the $40 price tag it is somehow selling for, I couldn’t recommend this game even if it were free-to-play.