• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Jan 27, 2015
    These reviews are hilarious. There are very clearly a band of Russian's posting because they do not like the plot of the game where they are posted as the bogeyman... forgetting that this is a freaking game.... comment on the game, not your political bend to quell free speech.

The actual gameplay, of the game for which this thread is meant, is actually pretty fun no matter what nation you come from.

*sigh* What loons.... Go back to drinking vodka and invading other nations? Whatever...
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    - terrible,stupid sp (full of worst kind of propaganda by the way :) )

+fun and diverse mp and that is only thing that i care for. Many units and strategies. Good balance.
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    ZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian frontZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian front playable game, the snow I thought would be corny, but I really like it. Its kind of like COH in respect to gameplay the Russian infantry is about as strong as US infantry and tanks and cars do pretty much the same thing. I like the commanders but there is not a forked tech tree you pick a commander and you go linear down their tech. This game isn't a step forward its a good game, but it doesn't move the ball down the field at all, Expand
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Everything that was good in COH1 or even COHO was revamped and ruined, MP is worst! automatching is horrible, the Single player is one offensive clichés after another (mostly stolen from Enemy at the gates) if Joseph Goebbels made is pc game it would be Coh2.
  5. Mar 29, 2014
    This is not a strategy game, it's been totally dumbed down to the point it should be called an arcade game. The majority of it runs on rails, it's predecessor did also, but it did it better and made you feel like it was more"open" gameplay. This game was a waste of money, speaking of which nice to see SEGA turn it into constant revenue stream via steam add-ons. What the hell happened?
  6. Sep 23, 2013
    it is a good game, it doesnt deserve the low score it has. the bulletin system doesn't seem like it was entirely thought out but it's nice to see them trying new things.
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is hard. Your four year old will not get a lucky kill or two here! Truly, CoH2 is for the true lover of strategy. Throw out your cookie cutter mob rolls from StarCraft and Warcraft, this game requires you to be active with your units. I've played since the first edition and this is a worthy successor. The environment is a little tricky with weather, but it provides enoughThis game is hard. Your four year old will not get a lucky kill or two here! Truly, CoH2 is for the true lover of strategy. Throw out your cookie cutter mob rolls from StarCraft and Warcraft, this game requires you to be active with your units. I've played since the first edition and this is a worthy successor. The environment is a little tricky with weather, but it provides enough game changing opportunities to be considered one of the better improvements. Expand
  8. Oct 4, 2013
    they took the RTS CoH and made it arcade.
    this game is close to nothing as good as the first one. the base-building is pretty much the same, but the rest is inferior to the original.
    they took the RTS CoH and made it arcade.
    it really doesnt matter what tank you build to counter the enemy's vehicle, it's all about luck in this arcade-made version of CoH1, which I cherished wholeheartedly. squad-control is sluggish at best, it's close to impossible to make soldiers stand exactly where you want them to stand. dodging grenades/molotovs/MG:s at the last second is out of the question. the new "vision-system" that was introduced makes chasing down enemy tanks with your own tank impossible. the weather-effects are boring and makes the whole match pause, no one dares to move, nothing more dramatic than that.

before strategic points meant that you had to hold them in order to secure the resource point that you held, now you're better off holding only strategic points as they give you both resources.

to conclude it: this game is a disgracing, arcade-version of CoH1. If you like cinematic features, go ahead and buy it. if you actually enjoyed this game because you wanted to out-maneuver the enemy and see his shells bounce off your tiger's front armor, play CoH1, because now everything penetrates everything.
    is this still in beta?
  9. Oct 12, 2013
    superbe jeu l' Ia est plus difficile que dans le premier opus et les graphisme sont bien amélioré l' histoire se suit et est très réussi jouer
  10. Oct 18, 2013
    I see that everyone rates this as a 1, I think that is a bit harsh the game is OK.

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think. Graphics: The graphics are better then company of heroes 1 if you are able to run it at maximum graphics without any sort of lag spikes or anything, it is not a huge improvement but it is still eye candy in my eyes. 7/10 UI: The UI is

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think.

Graphics:

UI:

The UI is pretty much as it used to be, but in my opinion how they have done the commander thing is ruining the game because it lacks content which the commanders have but you may only choose some of the content that should have all been added to the game.

For example in a german doctrine you can call in assault grenadiers, why cant grenadiers upgrade themselves to mp40 like in coh 1 for 50-75 munition? or why cant you just make ostruppen from the barracks instead of calling it in?

You see, they have added alot of content they just split the rest of the 30% into commanders, so it feels like you are playing with the same set of units every game.

Gameplay:

Gameplaywise we have the blizzard and snow, which I personally like I know other people simply hate it but thats their opinion. I feel like i have to adapt to the climate and the game more and I like it +1 for relic, you can build up a formation which you can use to several tactical desicions.

Or else the gameplay has been ripped like it used to be in CoH 1, it lacks alot of content which you should be able to build like sandbags, tank traps e.t.c, I was hoping relic would make even more content in Coh 2 because we all enjoyed it it made each match a bit more different each time and we could adapt more tactics.

The buildings dont look good at all, with effort I could make it even better using Maya.

There is more I could write but its just to much, but in short its not really a huge improvement and well because of this it gets a low score because in the long run it ruins the enjoyment of the game.

Music and Sounds:

I had to download a voice pack so the German would speak their native language and the Soviets theirs to make it more awesome, I never was a fan of english german and english russian it reminds me of Men of War and it is just horrible. Relic did not add the option to change this ingame so the community yet again have to make updated voice packs, even though it has been requested alot.

The music is alright I guess, I liked vcohs music alot more it was more epic and each faction had a fitting music to them. This is not the case in this game.

The sounds are decent, though there are many gun sounds I would have changed.

Summary:

* Blizzard (my opinion)

It's hard to mention anything else here as everything else is pretty much the same from vcoh or has been removed.

* Commanders/DLC * Poorly designed Buildings * Content and Features ingame * Bad/un-intresting story I just want to mention I do not play the singleplayer at all as it was not intresting for me to continue. Last thing.. If you enjoyed vcoh you may or may not find joy in this one, I still find joy in the multiplayer and I play it everyday though if you havent bought this game I can not recommend you to buy this one as there are stuff you will miss from vcoh. And at the moment Relic is doing this micro transaction thing of theirs which hurts the game. I also forgot to mention the balance of the two sides we have in the game, the germans do still have way more advantage than the soviets, Relic is currently fixing this by nerfing everything. Instead of nerfing, add more units and content.. If the soviets cant kill panthers dont nerf panthers add a new vehicle which is at the same price as a panther is to counter a panther.. Dont nerf panthers or tigers.. This is also hurting the game in my opinion.. they are doing this for pretty much any unit/vehicle in the game As of now what would save this game is a new boss or supervisor with new ideas who could lead this Relic towards a good game. Remove DLC and refund people who have bought dlcs and add the content into the game. ADD MORE CONTENT FOR GODS SAKE. Dont mind the typos I know they are everywhere I just dont care..
  11. Oct 23, 2013
    well...to be honest, under the highest image quality settings the game's Ambient Occlusion, blizzard effect and rendering system are pretty “Essence 3.0." But the general fact is that most of coh2 players confront horrible performance issue- the optimization sucks, my GTX 670 only could run the game with frame rate of 30-45. And the protagonist in the campaign annoys me a lot, by creatingwell...to be honest, under the highest image quality settings the game's Ambient Occlusion, blizzard effect and rendering system are pretty “Essence 3.0." But the general fact is that most of coh2 players confront horrible performance issue- the optimization sucks, my GTX 670 only could run the game with frame rate of 30-45. And the protagonist in the campaign annoys me a lot, by creating fake historical resemblance such as they burned their farmland. I have just finished the campaign and I expect more on map balancing in multiplayer games(hopefully the relic had fixed many bugs in some unbalanced map by October).
    Finally I really want a boost-up driver for Nvdia graphic cards, we need a better optimization.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    CoH was my favorite RTS game ever. Then we get new CoH with a little better graphics, new system for winter and nothing more... but you know what? It's my new favorite RTS! CoH 2 touched unknown (maybe for people from e.g. US) topics from WW2 like USSR officers ruthlessness to Polish insurgents or to their own soldier whom didn't want to execute the command to leave someone to die.CoH was my favorite RTS game ever. Then we get new CoH with a little better graphics, new system for winter and nothing more... but you know what? It's my new favorite RTS! CoH 2 touched unknown (maybe for people from e.g. US) topics from WW2 like USSR officers ruthlessness to Polish insurgents or to their own soldier whom didn't want to execute the command to leave someone to die. Everyone who are interested in history must play this game! Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2013
    Great game with true story. Soviets (not russians) was bad as Third Reich (not german people) was, they both started a WW2 and life was nothing worth, they both done lots of criminals against people.
  14. Nov 6, 2013
    Don't let butt hurt Russians put you off, they for some reason think a game set in WW2 has to abide to their warped nationalistic view of the past.

The game is excellent. The campaign is entertaining and places the player in many different scenarios from massive tanks battles to lone sniper missions. The CO-OP is a great edition to the series and something more RTS games should focus on.

The MP is solid as the first COH and only gets better with new content and fixes being released at a steady rate.

Want to play the best RTS with loads of content, look no further.
  15. Nov 6, 2013
    A well-constructed follow-up to the amazing first Company of Heroes that suffers from too much hand-holding throughout the campaign and some connection issues online (10% of my games end in being disconnected). Overall, still a great game to a WWII aficionado like myself.

As for what the Russian community is decrying, I felt like Relic did a good job of conveying the valor and accomplishments of the Red Army soldiers vs. the terror of the NKVD and Stalin's regime. However, there are a couple ahistorical moments in the game that seem to exist simply to push this theme forward which in retrospect probably should have been left out.
  16. Nov 9, 2013
    After reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get onAfter reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get on there, I have designed games before it is harder than people take credit for and people think it is easy, its not. Second, people are moaning about the anti-soviet theme in this game. The things you see, anti soviet wise, did happen, the soviet commanders were brutal and hateful, and in many cases they made themselves worse than the Nazis, history shows this but most people don't seem to read anymore. The soviets wanted to exterminate the Germans and anything that Germany touched they wanted to destroy it. Now I don't condone what Hitler did, but seriously quit whining, I remember when gaming used to be about playing games instead of whining about this and that, its one reason I am not as big of a gamer as I used to be. Now COH1 was great, and this one pretty much feels like there is nothing new, so I can see the negative reviews on that part. Graphics I don't really care about anymore as it is stupid that we beg for more and more graphics that cause us to spend more and more on games nowadays. Story wise, it was alright. Overall, to me this is an average game, nothing really fancy or new about it but oh well, creating games is so much harder nowadays and with deadlines set by the company owners just makes it even harder. For those of you whining and complaining.....just stop, ok I am tired of the whining as I am sure so many others are too. Gamers are just not what they used to be. Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    Decent gameplay, but due to the limited factions, it suffers from worse repetition that the Dawn of War series. Some units are atrociously overpowered early in the game, such as the flame halftrack which is more effective at killing infantry than the ability to run them over found in the Command and Conquer series. Snipers are only useful in groups of 3-5 squads. Single squads will oftenDecent gameplay, but due to the limited factions, it suffers from worse repetition that the Dawn of War series. Some units are atrociously overpowered early in the game, such as the flame halftrack which is more effective at killing infantry than the ability to run them over found in the Command and Conquer series. Snipers are only useful in groups of 3-5 squads. Single squads will often die before killing more than one unit due to their extremely high miss rate. Tanks are very hit and miss. Overall it's a fun time killer, but nothing I would sink weeks into.

Now, the controversial story, and the reason for the 3 rating. I'm American, and even I know that the story line is an extreme exaggeration of what occurred during WWII. It's like if someone took what the troops at Gitmo did and applied it to the entire US armed forces, then claimed the Americans were cowards since we entered the war only after Germany was already beaten harshly. The US forces committed many of the same atrocities as the Soviets on a relative scale. We rounded up Japanese-Americans and locked them into internment camps, and don't even get me started on the McCarthyism and the Truman Doctrine that treated anyone that didn't agree with the US as war criminals to be locked away, got millions of people killed, and still causes major economic problems today.

So, take the story with a grain of salt, it's an exaggeration of historically accurate events, which does not mean the plot is historically accurate.
  18. Nov 30, 2013
    Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1 exploits that simply don't work in this game, because of this they flip out. The amount of extra features compared to the original really sets it apart making it a new game with the same basic feel/outline. Significantly more thought went into this than Star Craft 2 which is essentially the same as Star Craft 1 but better graphics, a few new units and slight changes to Zerg. Do not understand why this game is not looked up to significantly more then Star Craft. Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2014
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

The campaign was too much to bear, it's as if the script for this game was written jointly by Winston Churchill and Joseph McCarthy. I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would have been a riveting game. You would have learned how the USSR saved civilization from a New Dark Age by defeating the Nazi's at Stalingrad; how aspects of the Imperial UK sought to foment fascism by financing Hitler (read "Facts and Fascism" and "The Anglo-American Establishment"); how the UK elites got the war going and how they did everything they could to delay the US from opening a second (Western) front; how the Soviets supported the legitimate republican government of Spain against Franco; and much more. Real history is, in fact, incredibly interesting, but you'll never learn those things from this game--because here in the West, spineless wretches rule supreme, and nobody has the gall to stand up for historical truth.

We see, this game being one of countless examples, that Imperialism is everywhere. It is in everything you read, everything you see, everything you consume. Everywhere the fear exists of being ostracized for going against the "Establishment". If the game-designers at Relic thought that this era of history was worthwhile in observing, as it secured Liberty and Freedom for future generations (as it did) then what a disgrace that these spineless eunuchs would then abstain from exercising their rights to speech so willingly.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. The same level of mental and intellectual degeneration that made this game into a shameless piece of imperial apologetic propaganda also made the game-play infinitely inferior to the original.

It's almost as if you can see the decline of the West mirrored in the intellectual produce it creates.
  20. May 14, 2014
    This game is easily the best WWII / RTS out there. I have played more than 100 hours online and still I'm not bored at all. The graphics, the online gameplay, unit movement, skills, gameplay variety, different commanders, ...

However I think how they made eastern European look in the campaign (and even unit descriptions) was a very bad marketing move, thus I think the reactons of these people is absolutely justified.

Game: 9/10
    Marketing: 0/10
  21. Jul 7, 2014
    This game has a good gameplay, but a plot is awful. It's filled mostly with hate to Soviet soldiers and their feats. I think that this fact describes developers as the haters of Russian history. Shame on you, developers. I won't buy your games in the future.
  22. Sep 20, 2014
    Anti Soviet Propaganda!! While it's predecessors showed the heroism of the allied soldiers the only thing they are showing here is the **** soldiers of the red army and horrible events which never happend!
  23. Dec 31, 2014
    super addictive online game, great -balanced units frequent updates, you do not need any more of this game
    Russian do not recognize the truth and give a low score
  24. Jul 5, 2014
    9 for multi-player. 5 for single-player campaign. Less cut-scene and special script than COH1, I think developer have turn their focus to multi-player, just like what BF have did.
  25. Oct 27, 2014
    Absolutely weak! Destructoid should never ever be allowed to rate games. The think this was a 100 means there is no room for ever improving. I wonder how much they were paid?
    I have a free copy for anyone who wants it.
  26. Jan 21, 2014
    I'll give Company of Heroes a 4/10 because it's not the worst game ever made, I can think of other games that are more deserving of a 0-1/10 - looking at you Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. However, I (like many other gamers) feel that Company of Heroes 2 just doesn't live up to the expectations of its predecessor.

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been replaced by a new commander system with no choice, except you can choose 5 different commander 'perks' before a match, then when you get commander points it'll unlock perks automatically (as each perk has a commander point requirement that, once reached, the perk will instantly become available). Okay, but at least CoH 2 has interesting concept art briefs between each mission right? Wrong. Those concept art briefs - which I, personally, loved and associated with the CoH titles - have been replaced by 30 second longish cut scenes between a lieutenant (who you never see or hear from in the missions) that is going to be executed for desertion and his old commander talking about the war - CoH 2 has replaced exciting and interesting character development and artistic cut scenes for a character you'll never see in-game and mediocre between mission cut scenes. There's almost no continuity between missions, in the original CoH you'd get a patriotic and informative brief (so you know what's going on in the grand scale of things), but in CoH 2 it's a case of; a minute cut scene that says "the Germans attacked Russia" and "they get really close to Moscow", from there on it's a case of go there, kill them, we won, fight them - then the level design and gameplay follows this pattern, so what may seem interesting and innovative to start becomes dull and representative in later missions. Yet another CoH 2 mistake is the lack of units, you'll have 2 units that you'll ever really use, your conscripts (infantry) and the T34s (tanks), that's it, you do have snipers (that for some reason only use stealth while they're in cover) and mortar teams etc but what's the point when they'll just get flooded by infantry and tanks? If you want to fight for the Germans, you better go somewhere else, because the singleplayer campaign is all Soviet - you can play as the Germans in multiplayer. Well, you can also play as the Germans in a new feature called 'Theater of War' which, basically, mini-campaigns with about 2 singleplayer missions and tonnes of co-op missions (which is a welcome feature) - but when I realized that my friends weren't prepared to pay £30 for a sub-par sequel, I was left with about 4 hours of German gameplay, max...

Well... I think I've said all that I can about Company of Heroes 2. In conclusion, I'm not satisfied with Sega's sequel on what was a milestone in real-time strategy games. It has lost its strategy and has replaced it with numbers. And has many little 'features' that'll drive you mad, like units flashing their player colour when they're clicked on and all your recruited units now start off-map so you have to wait for them to come to you. There seems to be a never ending list of what's wrong with CoH 2, it's like they got the designs and features from the original games and said "these are good, but, scrap them and let's start from fresh without taking any inspiration from the originals". Plus CoH 2, to me, seems to have been Sega-fied.
  27. Jan 16, 2014
    I didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke areI didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke are well made. The optimization isn't great but it's not awful (it's certainly better than the original CoH) I have an average PC (1000 €) and it ran ok. This game has a lot of content to play, versus multiplayer and co-op. You might want to buy this when it's on sale if you're interested in an arcadey world war 2 RTS. Expand
  28. May 13, 2014
    Great game! Good graphics and sound. I never played COH1 so I can't compare to it, but I find COH2 to be well worth the $30 I paid on Steam for the base game and expansions.

If you like COH2 give Men Of War Assault Squad 2 a try also, another great game!
  29. Jan 17, 2014
    After so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm isAfter so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm is interesting at first, but the concept gets old and repetitive rather quickly. In many ways the Russians seem like a reskinned USA from the first game. Many units and buildings look underwhelming with the models used in the first game looking much better in comparison. What is even more disappointing is that the game's
    optimization is horrendous. This game looks very similar to the original Company of Heroes and performs terribly. I struggle to get a constant 40fps on low settings on my laptop, and this same laptop gets 60+ fps in the original Company of Heroes with maxed out detail and 50+ fps on high settings in Starcraft 2.

There are some good points of this game though. The Theatre of War game mode is quite interesting as there are multiple challenging missions to complete either solo or with a friend but it does seem a bit of a stretch that you have to pay to play the additional challenges. The integration of Steam Workshop is also quite cool. Your troops can also jump over sandbags now, but honestly is that really game changing?

At the end of the day, Company of Heroes 2 is difficult to recommend. The game is hardly any different than the original Company of Heroes, costs much more and performs terribly. Company of Heroes 2 also lacks clan support and the like, a mechanic that RTS games such as Starcraft 2 implement very well. If you want a great RTS experience I would suggest you pick up Starcraft 2 and its expansion or even the original Company of Heroes for a fraction of the price.
  30. Jun 25, 2014
    Ok first I'll start by saying this game had a rough start, but just in the last 3-4 months is has become a lot better, they have actual servers for the automatch so no longer do you need to worry about lag, even the optimization is better now when I first played this game i was getting a lot of stutters and input lag in multiplayer but no longer its all fixed now.

now just recently they

now just recently they have released the western front armies which i believe has brought this game back to life, it comes with two new armies the Oberkommando and usa which is only $20 and well worth it also on top of that it also gives custom game lobbies which is something people have been asking for since the game first got released and now they also have a thing called war spoils which when you finish a match there is a chance that you will get an item such as a commander or skin even faceplate oh and victory strikes.

Now for veteran players they have added three prestige levels so pretty much i believe this game now deserves a 10/10
  31. Sep 21, 2014
    This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game,This game has been flooded (not without reason) with I think a disproportionate amount of negative reviews. While the campaign's plot is extremely...questionable at best, if you can look past the "Enemy at the Gates" or Hollywood "The Soviets are monsters" portrayal of the Soviets you'll find a game that mirrors many of the attributes that CoH fans came to love from the original game, while branching out to try and add new elements to the game to keep it interesting.

Graphically the game is impressive, and the sound effects are excellent just as they were back in CoH I, from the snow effects to watching/hearing a T34 or Panther brew up in a fiery explosion CoH II's graphics and soundtrack captures the tiny details that fans learned to marvel at in the original title.

Gameplay: A lot has changed since CoH I, but at its core, CoH II is still very much like its older brother. The elephant in the room regarding this particular game is the single player portion. Unfortunately, the protrayal of the Soviet Union is one that appears to be ripped right out of a Hollywood script, where the Soviets officer corps is portrayed as unfeeling monsters, willing to send hundreds of thousands to their deaths, mercilessly cutting down waves of retreating conscripts. While this has been said to have happened during the way, it appears to have been overplayed and over focused within the campaign. This of course drew the ire of many. Buyers be warned, if you are looking for a compelling single player experience, you sadly will not really find it here.

However, where CoH I really shined its brightest (IMHO) was in its multi-player, this is where CoH II draws its strength from and is what you'll likely want to buy the game for. Initial balance issues aside, games can be fast paced and frantic. The recent introduction of the American faction as well as OberKommando's really helps to add some flavor to the multiplayer game play.

While CoH II has its issues, to include (at first) a clunky interface, it is still a great game (Questionable/forgettable Campaign scripting aside)

Buy the game if you are a fan of the first, buy it if you want to have one of the best WWII RTS gaming experiences out there on the market, buy it if you want a fast paced, action packed, strategic demanding multiplayer experience.

Does the game deserve 4.6k+ negative reviews? Likely not. Is it understandable why people were upset? Absolutely, but do not be fooled by the 1.9 Metacritic score. Try it for yourself, and if you can remain open minded about the SP, you'll certainly find a diamond in the rough with CoH II IMHO.
  32. Jan 24, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single playerCompany of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single player experience is really about prepping gamers to play online.

A number of changes have been made to the formula of CoH. For one, resource points are no longer set, but can be assigned when captured. That is to say all strategic sectors generate manpower to the group that captures them. While the uses of the three main resources are the same, players gain munitions or fuel by locking down a point, which allows fights to be over more than a few critical sectors. On the other hand its makes starving the armor-heavy German faction of fuel a much more difficult ordeal.

Line-of-sight rules have had an overhaul. Now instead of units simply having a fixed vision radius it is affected by terrain and obstructions. This means that infantry can't see over walls and your tanks won't know what's on the other side of that large building. With some of the hilly or forested maps this has brought ambush tactics to the forefront. Such infantry tactics are necessary to secure a Soviet victory. This is especially true since inexplicably tanks traps are no longer in the game. Now that armor can't be bottlenecked reconnaissance and hidden flanking units must be used to their fullest.

As of the time of this writing, while the balance has improved significantly over launch, it is not balanced nearly as well as its predecessor. I do not think this ruins the potential of the game, as I'm sure that early adopters of the first CoH will remember the years it took to balance that game and the re-balancing that was needed with the additional factions of Opposing Fronts and units from Tales of Valor. The trend has been towards a more well balanced game.

Rather than major expansions it seems that CoH2 is opting for a model of incremental DLC. Packs of a few new commanders (which function like trees in the first game) and units are being sold piecemeal. I expect that if there will be any major DLC or expansions it would be the addition of a new faction. However as an Eastern Front game that seems difficult and unlikely. Factions from the Western Front would be out of place (and are covered in the first game) and there is little room for the small-scale tactical ground wars in the Pacific theatre.

Bottom line is if you liked the first CoH I see no reason why this shouldn't be a no-brainer. As long as you remember that the first game wasn't balanced overnight you can have a lot of fun hours playing this game!

Note: I am sticking to giving a fair score of my own, but I will admit there is a part of me that wants to bump this to a 9 or 10 to help overcome the ridiculous number of people giving it a zero. For a game to warrant a zero it would need to be completely non-functional and unplayable, these are just people raging.
  33. Aug 27, 2013
    d said Relic can do better than this. Overall game system is good but multiplayer is disaster. Lobby in COH1 provide a very great opportunity to find equal opponents. However, it not happen in COH2 where u only has automate player finder system, it suck!!. PS. It will be great than this if Relic team comes to fix the bug in COH1 rather than left it behind.
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    whilst I'm not a massive fan of this game I don't think people can really justify giving it a 0 or a 1. I can understand people are offended by the innaccuracies in the story line though so i get why people are pissed

I think CoH1 is better hands down, this game hasn't changed enough for it to be considered a next generation of the game but also hasn't stayed true enough to the last game to warrant it sticking to a working theory.

I've never been big on the Company Of Heroes games but have bought them to support Relic enough to make Dawn of War 3
  35. Dec 3, 2013
    Let me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, youLet me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, you cannot win with Infantry and light armor support like in the original CoH.
    Pro:
    -The gameplay is definitely different, I like that aspect since it required me to learn new tactics.
    -I enjoy the ability to customize your army on both sides and make "loadouts"
    Con:
    -I have found that it is nearly impossible to win as Soviets in PvP
    -I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of Multiplayer options. 500 pt. Victory condition ONLY WTF!!)
    -Day 1 DLC is highway robbery, I dropped $60 so that I could play an improved experience
    -Relic offices have been overrun with developers out of high school and their finance department with e*Trade babies.
    -Lag is horrendous.
    -Replay ability is like a one night stand and you want to keep it that way

Overall Satisfaction I gave it a 5 out of 10 because it is definitely new and interesting. It misses the other half for literally requiring you spend another $40 for more commanders, maps, war theaters etc... IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN AS SOVIETS... unless you are facing some really drunk German Players. Maybe the key to winning as a soviet is to play drunk, and it is likely the developers were intoxicated during 50% of the games development. Overall I give it a thumbs down. I have never had such bad luck playing a faction. The Campaign was just decent... nothing special. I have lost faith in Relic honestly, after this I fear for their financial well-being after this embarrassment.
  36. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is not an enjoyable experience. I am not a PvP player because of the CoH geeks that do nothing but learn the exploits to win. That's beside the point, so I play against the AI.

There are problems, the main one is the AI cheats in showing up with veteran units, immediately running away when a unit throws a grenade, AI units are very difficult to eliminate, AI is all over the map and no way to defend most captured points, if given any amount of time the AI totally overwhelms the player and AI has no fog of war, to name a few.

I'll tell you one thing, devs of CoH 2, you win the game. You won't get anymore of my support in terms of buying more crap from this company.
  37. Jan 16, 2014
    The game gets an 8! But +2 to counter the attack of sad russian kids who whine about inaccurate history.
    Get ur facts right, maybe this game is a bit too negative about Russia in WW2 but they were nothing better than the germans!

A bit different form the first game but in a good way i think, lots and lots of hours of fun in the multiplayer!
    BUY IT!
  38. Dec 10, 2014
    Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War.Not as good as the first CoH, but it is still a really fun and great game. Do not listen to the bad reviewers. They're 100% wrong about it painting the Nazis in a good light. The thing it does do is shows the evil committed by the Soviet Union in World War 2. Who cares if they were our allies? Just because we're the U.S. doesn't mean we don't ally with evil people. Look at the Cold War. Get an education guys, and give this game a chance. Expand
  39. Jun 16, 2014
    Seeing the reviews from what I suspect are Russian players they can't handle the facts of history. further on its a good game not standalone worthy it's more like an expansion with some graphical updates and some extra 's . as a big fan of the series since day 1 and with a lot of hours in the game i'd recommend it.
    of course the game has some flaws and maybe it's not perfect , but which game is ?
  40. Jun 17, 2014
    It started bad, really bad. But it got better. Nice matchmaking, extremely well balanced and a definetely upgrade since the original CoH. Still, some features were better before, but this is definetely better.

An outstanding RTS worth money. Can't wait for the expansion that, based on the alpha, it will be even greater.
  41. Jul 11, 2014
    U bidla iz rashki goryat pukani pri vide vsego der'ma, kotorim polnitsya ih ebannaya strana eshe so stalinskih vremyon, No huli bagetit esli vi bidlo i sego ne zamechaete? Igra ge pizdata.
  42. Oct 9, 2014
    The game is very good, including the story. The problem is that the story of the game does not match the stories of the Soviet propaganda films about the war. Russian media called spoil rated this game on this site. Unfortunately, we remain the specter of communism to this day.

P.S. I apologize for my English!
  43. Oct 27, 2014
    I have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and haveI have no experience with the single player campaign, so I'll just review the multiplayer part. Unfortunately, the game has gotten some kind of weird multiple personality disorder; it's trying to be harsh and brutal with gritty b/w imagery, harsh cold and so on, but at the same time it's animated like it's a cartoon. Tanks jump half a meter straight up in the air when they die, and have big flat areas of comic book-like texture. The resource system and basic ideas from the original game are identical.

The voice-acting in Company of Heroes 1, Dawn of War 1 and 2 is SPLENDID. In this game, it's dull and uninspired. I can't get drawn in into the game; it's like a confused comic book version of WWII without anything funny to go with it. Unfortunately.
  44. Jan 27, 2015
    Just as terrible as the first one, a little prettier, but still eschews good RTS for gratifying the Idiocracy wave of gamers. Getting rid of real resource management makes the game more similar to Men of War; except CoH (both of them) suck compared to MoW at the tactical level. The complete lack of realism in the game also is a buzzkiller for any WW2 fan. Had they done something similar toJust as terrible as the first one, a little prettier, but still eschews good RTS for gratifying the Idiocracy wave of gamers. Getting rid of real resource management makes the game more similar to Men of War; except CoH (both of them) suck compared to MoW at the tactical level. The complete lack of realism in the game also is a buzzkiller for any WW2 fan. Had they done something similar to their Dawn of War RTS games (not that DoW RPG wannabe RTS crap=DoW2) then this might have been a decent series. This game is best left to the insta-gratification console generation. More and more games have been getting dumbed down and require little brains, this series is an example of that. There are far better games out there that require much more intelligence and provide real gameplay. I'm afraid with this game all hope is lost for real RTS games made for adults instead of teenagers. Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2013
    Finally game with REAL history! Thanks for make this game, and don't care about stiupid russian girls.. they don't event know own history (russian propaganda..)
  46. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  47. Nov 18, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews.. Most are by Russians who wouldn't know real history if they were shoved into a gulag and made to peel potatoes. This is an exceptional RTS a refined version of the original COH and as historically accurate as a game can get without it being boring. For the RTS fan this is a real treat.
  48. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is good and I do not understand why that was found in this story, some people, even though I myself Russian. Those who put the game a bad score would remember modern warfare when it was rastrelivat Russian!
  49. Aug 20, 2013
    I have never really been into RTS games but CoH2 got me in. This game is amazing, really fun to play and beautiful. I don't understand who users give it such a low score.
  50. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is getting a terrible score because of inaccuracy about what actually happened in history. Not going to lie i do believe some of these things did in fact happen but the game took it to the extreme. However giving it a score below 3 ONLY because of that is beyond stupidity. Anyone care to talk about the game play, customization and the multiplayer? No they don't because they areThis game is getting a terrible score because of inaccuracy about what actually happened in history. Not going to lie i do believe some of these things did in fact happen but the game took it to the extreme. However giving it a score below 3 ONLY because of that is beyond stupidity. Anyone care to talk about the game play, customization and the multiplayer? No they don't because they are crying over a game that misinterprets history. WHO CARES! This is not the History or Military channel! I understand they should have actually spent the time to learn history and make their game historic but rating it a 0-4 only because of that. That is very stupid and you guys should never be judges. Expand
    Sep 4, 2013
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes. I expected Relic shows Red Army as heroes too (btw they were heroes, we dont forgot yet, they stopped most of nazi forces). But what the..? I am extremely disappointed. In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes.

But what the..? I am extremely disappointed.
    In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for people who develop realistic game about history.

Gameplay doesnt change. Completely.
    Soldiers dont jump over obstacles by themselves, are they stupid or what?
    They also never rotate heavy weapons without direct order.
    Truesight, Coldtech, is it all that Relic made for 7 years?
    Missions are same.
    Germans are overpowered, engineers for example.
    Game is less realistic than CoH1.
    And DLC's, the evil of all games, hate!
    Seriously, just keep playing CoH1, it is more interesting.

What I can say about CoH2?
    I NOT recommend this for playing and especially for learning history.
  52. Sep 30, 2013
    I have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, noI have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, no lobbies, crappy framerate and elo system, automatch sucks, maps sucks, the players of this game sucks and his community. Expand
  53. Dec 28, 2013
    Game distorts the truth about the Soviet Union, the gameplay has not changed compared to the first part of the game, the game is just awful, I got the impression, game CoH2 developers are fans of the Fascists
  54. Aug 29, 2013
    I love what they have done, the eastern front is so much fun.

The game looks great and sounds amazing, the MP is brilliant and has a lot of unlocks which lets you customise your army which makes for some interesting plays.

Get it now!
  55. Sep 24, 2013
    Excellent game, and a SPOT ON portrayal of the communists. I know that a lot of russians take exception to their dark and terrible history, in which they have NOTHING to be proud of and EVERYTHING to be shamed of, but they should not expect the rest of the world to indulge in that fantasy.

Even many russian youth are embracing far-right activity, as they know full well how evil and wrong communism is on so many levels.

Kudos to the developers for creating such a wonderful game that ACCURATELY portrays the commies for what they were.
  56. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game amazing RTS really the detail and combat mechanics are really amazing. Its a great merging of all of the ideas from the last one and a few from the DOW series too.
    Ignore the people screaming about historical facts, they are lashing out from a personal view and expect a video game to be accurate.
  57. Sep 11, 2013
    Multiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certainMultiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certain units. Most of these bulletins are absolutely useless, everybody good is using the same 10 which is really stale and pointless. But aside from that, the core gameplay is pretty good.

Campaign: This is why the game has a 1.6 user score. Though the missions are pretty fun to play, the plot is just terrible. It should be called Company of War Criminals, because rather than focus on the heroism of the soldiers (there are some instances but few and far between) the whole purpose of the story is to demonize the Soviets. I know the Soviets did some bad things, but even the Russians wouldn't go burning down farm houses with their own citizens inside still inside to "deny the enemy". This franchise is not about war crimes, but if they were going to go that direction they should have showed both sides of the coin. A Russian commentator made a video exposing the campaign for the piece of crap it is, and after it went viral the user score plummeted in hours.

Theater of War: Missions you can play cooperatively or singleplayer. I was skeptical at first but they are quite fun, they are like a full campaign minus the propaganda.

Patches: They are actively patching the game and have really been listening to feedback.

Audio: Great, as usual for Relic games.

Grahpics: The textures haven't improved that much since the original, but they did add a ton of detail to the particle effects.

DLC: $100 worth of DLC just 2 months after release, with much more to come. And I thought EA/Activision were pirates.... #dafuqwereyouthinking

If I were to take in to account the horrid campaign, CoH2 would get a 4/10. But since multiplayer is what makes or breaks this game, I give it a 7/10. Two steps forward and three steps backward from the original, but luckily CoH1 was the highest rated RTS of all time so we are left with a "decent" game.
  58. Aug 29, 2013
    Great game. And finally game with REAL HISTORY. Amazing climate, great music and good graphics. And stop whining russians. You were monsters like nazis. Get over it.
  59. Feb 19, 2014
    In short : Not worth playing.

Won't trust the Metacritic? Just check the Steam reviews, you can see some reviewers have invested 300+ hours to the game and still, they give negative reviews. The only good thing is the true sight mechanic. But then, it's not a really a strong leap in gaming. Warland EE and Warland Airland is a better game with realism in mind. The others? Bad.
    In short : Not worth playing.

The others? Bad.
    Pathfinding sucks. This alone should stop you to buy this game.
    Not to mention having to purchase tons of DLC to play a "commander". Some games still have the decency to not sell important things in DLC, but Relic thought that it would be great to sell out important things. Some game decently only sells skins or things to display, but Relic choose to be hated by selling out important things.

Congratulations to Relic for killing Company of Heroes.
  60. Oct 26, 2013
    Igra fignya i otstoy. Posle pervoy chasti i addonov ozhidalos' mnogoe, a tam fuflo. Nado bilo snachala chitat' otzivi, vozmozhno, ne bil bi tak razocharovan.
  61. Aug 21, 2014
    This game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me isThis game is very good its campaign is not as good as coh 1 but its still good and multiplayer is fantastic,it involves many stratagy and tactics into the game,you need to think about your every move to win against another player.AI isnt great but its much batter then it was in coh 1 and if you set AI on very hight difficulty it would be a challenge to win,but its biggest problem to me is fps,because you need a good computer to run it,but with low graphics you can play it without any lag,I think everyone who is coh 1 fan should buy this even on full price because it gives you many,many hours of fun!!! Expand
  62. Aug 26, 2013
    One gets the feeling that the developers just from a parallel universe where during the second world war defeated the Nazis. And the game should be attributed to the fascist, propaganda full of delusions about Soviet forces, just terrible, you should be ashamed developers!
  63. Sep 11, 2013
    This game in it's current state is horrendous and god awful. The only way to correct it is through extensive modding which unfortunately doesn't seem likely. Sega has announced a recent statement that it does not support modding for it's game and thus killed all expectations of improving company of heroes 2. No map editor and no official mod tools. This game is as good as it gets inThis game in it's current state is horrendous and god awful. The only way to correct it is through extensive modding which unfortunately doesn't seem likely. Sega has announced a recent statement that it does not support modding for it's game and thus killed all expectations of improving company of heroes 2. No map editor and no official mod tools. This game is as good as it gets in it's current form, which is downright appalling compared to the first.

I will never give Sega or Relic another penny.
  64. Jul 30, 2013
    I didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improveI didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improve the AI pathing/cover system which was lacking in the previous game. The best part of the game is still the combat but many maps and missions felt uninspired and relied on the old formulas that worked in the original and still work here but it would have been nice to see something new beyond snow missions where you sneak around.

The campaign is really bland, a lot of really repetitive missions mixed in with a few interesting ones. The Soviet units are just so bland to use, its like they tried to do something unique with them but then it really didn't work as they expected and it really shows. They feel really weak unless you get a lot of units and do a lot of flanking, then you can take out entire armies with like 3-4 squads which is just as unrealistic as firing on an enemy for 5 min and not having a single shot hit.

The story is absolutely terrible, it plays like the worst cliche of the Soviet era. You feel almost no attachment to the main character and honestly i lost interest in him about half way through leading me to skip cutscenes unrelated to gameplay. They demonize Russians like crazy in this game, as a history graduate from the west, there were some serious inaccuracies in this game related to the treatment of soldiers by the Soviet Union.

Day 1 DLC is another blemish on this game since its not cosmetic crap that you'd expect but rather commanders that play a huge role in multiplayer games, effectively giving players who pay an advantage over those who do not. DLC is a part of todays market but this is another obvious cash grab by the publisher/developer.

Overall, the game is OK. Not worth the day 1 price and honestly it needs more patching to fix the many bugs and net issues. Wait until this one is down to $30 or less before considering it, you'll blow through the campaign in a day or 2, match play online is about as good as it gets for this game.
  65. Aug 14, 2013
    Notice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame onNotice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame on those who rate zero that clearly didn't even play the game before voicing their biased opinion! Expand
  66. Apr 25, 2014
    The first Company of Heroes was greatest WWII strategy, but Company of Heroes 2 is worst game of Relic.This game has no historical evidence. This is nazi game for nazis.
  67. Dec 25, 2013
    I give this historical masterpiece a 9/10 and I'll tell you why. The solidity and accuracy of the flame textures licking the bodies of innocent civilians really captured my eye while engaging in the Company of Heroes 2 campaign. I was blown away by the accurate depiction of the true nature of USSR war heroes during the second World War. The massacre and destruction depicted in theI give this historical masterpiece a 9/10 and I'll tell you why. The solidity and accuracy of the flame textures licking the bodies of innocent civilians really captured my eye while engaging in the Company of Heroes 2 campaign. I was blown away by the accurate depiction of the true nature of USSR war heroes during the second World War. The massacre and destruction depicted in the historically accurate diamond in the rough was spot on with the scorched earth policy. My only gripe is that the original game had a more compelling story with heart wrenching dialog and characters Expand
  68. Dec 12, 2013
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

I don't understand why people give this game "0" because it's not historically accurate. And after reading some of reviews how it's inaccurate i see that they are even further from truth. it's not so good game as CoH was but it's not bad, especially if you have Friends to play with (like i do) i would give it 6-8
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

i would give it 6-8 most likely 8 for new as they have just given us modding tools, but i don't have any dlc's
  69. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is great. The detail is the best you'll get in an RTS today, and that's a breath of fresh air from the many games about building the biggest army and seeing who can rush the enemy base the fastest. Cover and upgrading units are a MUST or you'll be overwhelmed quite easily. Relic also did a great job with the two factions, Germans and Russians, which both play differently. TheThis game is great. The detail is the best you'll get in an RTS today, and that's a breath of fresh air from the many games about building the biggest army and seeing who can rush the enemy base the fastest. Cover and upgrading units are a MUST or you'll be overwhelmed quite easily. Relic also did a great job with the two factions, Germans and Russians, which both play differently. The Germans rely on high firepower and training while the Russians rely on their great numbers and harrassment to overwhelm enemies. In the right hands both factions can be played effectively, and contrary to popular belief the Germans do not have the advantage (just watch Sundaynightfights on Twitch).

Where the game lost its points was the fact they were doing microtransactions for commanders the week the game came out! Being a hardcore Relic RTS vet, I bought CoH2 the night it came out full price (60$) but I was dismayed (PISSED) to see that there were a lot of commanders you had to buy. WHY?! If I paid 60$ for a game I want everything it releases with! This isn't even the commanders that game with the Delux version, which I can let slide because if you're going to pay extra for a delux version then you should get a little more but no. These were just regular old microtransactions available to anyone willing to shell out 3-6$ more than the 60$ they already paid. I would've taken off more if not for the recent update including 2 free commanders (made by the community) which isn't redemption, but its a step in the right direction. I am also quite disappointed in the DLC for the theatre of war as they just seem too short for something so easy to make, however I can let those slide since they were fun and the map-builder tool was recently released.

I wanted to give CoH2 a perfect score so badly. The campaign was well done with good pacing and fun scenarios, especially the stealthy/sniper stages (although I REALLY wish they did more snow stages). Also, I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms over the story. It's not the greatest by all means, but its not bad. Hell, the original CoH had less story than this. However, they could have improved the campaign by a lot. For instance, a branching campaign story could have EASILY been implemented through the use of the commander system such as using certain commanders in the stages would have different outcomes in the battle and story between stages. Also doing certain side objectives could have drastic outcomes in battle and story (Because the side objectives actually rarely had any benefits). See? That would've been LOADS better than a linear story Still though. It is a fun 14 mission campaign that leaves more to be wanted, but still delivers fun moments.

All in all, if you're looking for a fun tactical RTS with loads of depth Buy CoH2. Its a great game and now that the price dropped 20$ (its now 40$) I would recommend it to anyone. I had to take off from the score due to the stupid micotransactions from the start and the lack of innovation in the story arc, but I still would give this game a SOLID 8/10 because its gameplay is the best out of any RTS on the market.
  70. Aug 31, 2013
    Same game as the previous Company of Heroes several years ago! No joke, almost NOTHING has changed. Just a remake and strategy for winning first version will be exactly the same. Wasted $60. But, the original was a GREAT game., that is why they get a few stars.
  71. Sep 4, 2013
    Quite shocking really. I have a fairly powerful computer, and I get slow frames and slowdown. Story is indeed rather boring. I actually stopped playing the game after the 4th mission. Graphics felt really dated for a supposedly 'new' game.

A rehash of original COH (but worse). It definitely didn't capture the magic of the first one and the expansions. Sad sad sad. Don't bother buying

Don't bother buying this crap, and I have no clue how reviewers can give this TOP marks! Maybe try it when it goes for a 75% discount.. maybe..
  72. Sep 24, 2013
    The worst game I ever played. Never will buy any game from Relic. Waste of money and time. Bad graphics,
    awful game play. Nothing else to add. Garbage.
  73. Jan 2, 2014
    Well don't we all love a co-ordinated score bombing: It is true that the campaign for this game distorts the history. However it is a GAME. pretty clearly most of the Russians scoring this 0/10 for insulting their history never played the game, and simply posted their venting reviews. As for the game being too much like Company of Heroes 1, or an inferior game, I disagree. There isWell don't we all love a co-ordinated score bombing: It is true that the campaign for this game distorts the history. However it is a GAME. pretty clearly most of the Russians scoring this 0/10 for insulting their history never played the game, and simply posted their venting reviews. As for the game being too much like Company of Heroes 1, or an inferior game, I disagree. There is definitely an evolution of ideas at play here. And Relic worked hard and long to create a framework for gamers to enjoy a lot here.

The way the game was diced up to be bought as DLC is pretty terrible. Selling vehicle skins for dollars a pop is absurd when we are talking about 50 skins and probably more than $100! Sega are you out of your minds? That is ABSURD! Dudes give us an in-game workshop to make our own color schemes! don't be so greedy!

Despite the over-priced DLC and the anti-Soviet propaganda. There is a good game in here. Definitely wait till it is on sale, and especially the expansion packs which are way-over-priced. Ignore the skins and load up on 'commanders' when they are cheap.

And enjoy a good, high-paced RTS. 8/10 with a couple of points added to address the ridiculous 1.8 user score.

In terms of gameplay this game is a painful exercise in futile micro-management. If anyone out there wants to play a game that is faithful to actual military combat in WWII do not get this game. instead you should hunt out an old combat of Close Combat V invasion Normandy which is the same basic idea as this game but 1000 times better!

Orctowngrot.
  74. Sep 30, 2013
    So I got ticked over the jacked up campaign until Sega showed some tact. Once I did get the game I began playing the mediocre campaign. The main character whines like a wuss. I empathized with his C.O. more. Voice acting is meh and the character models are terrible. Some of the scenes needed more emotion to give a clear meaning to dialogue. Some missions where just lazy or boring and ISo I got ticked over the jacked up campaign until Sega showed some tact. Once I did get the game I began playing the mediocre campaign. The main character whines like a wuss. I empathized with his C.O. more. Voice acting is meh and the character models are terrible. Some of the scenes needed more emotion to give a clear meaning to dialogue. Some missions where just lazy or boring and I lost involvement rather easy. Everything the Russians have feels pathetic while the Germans feel like Ubermensch. The later is fine, but a weak feeling faction is just annoying. Why is the T-34/76 not a tank? I already had a light armor vehicle so it is very redundant. Balance becomes a problem and comp stomping when the internet goes down is not enjoyable in any way. Territory connection can be ridiculous at best during multiplayer. I am not connected to the territory right next to my base because a territory out in bumblecheese is the link? The game has a lot of unused potential and needs much work to be decent. The only thing that feels fun is the Katyusha rocket truck. Katyusha spam on the campaign was entertaining to say the least. Fix the balance, eliminate redundant units, and make effective AI opponents and it becomes a decent game. Even with that it still shouldn't be a $60 game. Relic needs to go back to making games and stop cashing in on franchises with shovelware. Expand
  75. Nov 10, 2013
    The game is pretty much more of Napoleon Total War, but easier to play. With Napoleon, one is a sitting duck, but the game is pretty much extremely pretty. I thought I had to play Napoleon like Rome Total war.
    The commentary soundtracks are pretty special. All in all, love the game, (the reader, not me, I already do). I don't know how the Germans actually carried out Blitzkrieg, with the armor, the sub-machine guns, and other parameters, when the levels of military technology are compared. The German factions after their units are upgraded, have the advantage. The Panzer Grenadier has the weaker anti-tank rifle, but is armed with the assault rifle by default. But, unusually, the German anti-tank rifle is earlier in make and marque, than the Soviet counterpart relevant gun. The assault rifle can make the guards rifles look like they are getting mowed down, one after the other in number. The star units are the panzer Grenadier, and the Guards Rifles. The upgrades to the Guard Rifle veteran experience seem to be of no consequence, they just keep on shooting the German tanks and vehicles as efficiently as they do without any experience. If you put panzer Grenadier units against Guards, armed with the sub-machine gun upgrades, it could be interesting. The German panzer Grenadiers seem to have camouflage before engagement, and the Soviet Guards the ability to spot the enemy effectively.
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely pointless and does not match the historical deystvitelsnosti plot. Very bad game. I do not recommend buying this game. Let them think before releasing it. Expand
  77. Nov 16, 2013
    Company Of Heroes-2-Hack

the first and the best hack for company of heroes 2
    i find it on google has a survey but it`s a free survey
    tnx
    best hack for company of heroes 2
  78. Nov 29, 2013
    Well done Relic!

You gave the word rts another meaning! No longer mass production of units like in Empire Earth or Command and Conquer. This is a real strategy game with real strategy elements like cover behind walls, climbing above it, or the brand new line of sight feature which is new to the rts brange. -Campaign 9/10 -Multiplayer and AI: 10/10 Theatre of war: 10/10 I agree
    Well done Relic!

You gave the word rts another meaning!
    No longer mass production of units like in Empire Earth or Command and Conquer.
    -Campaign 9/10
    -Multiplayer and AI: 10/10
    Theatre of war: 10/10

I agree with some meanings listed up here that the dlc content is a bit too expansive, but you dont need it the game is balanced very well) Dlc commanders are just a supplement for some strategies(you can win with casual commanders as well)

and when there is a steam sale like in this moment you get 50-75% to dlc content.

hope this was helpful!

FR,
  79. Nov 29, 2013
    I don't understand all the complaining about the historical accuracy. I've read a great number of books about WWII, and in particular the Great Patriotic War. ("Barbarossa-The Russian German Conflict, 1941-1945" by Alan Clark being the best one for anyone interested) I would say that they don't arrange specific events in the campaign exactly as they were, but they do give the correctI don't understand all the complaining about the historical accuracy. I've read a great number of books about WWII, and in particular the Great Patriotic War. ("Barbarossa-The Russian German Conflict, 1941-1945" by Alan Clark being the best one for anyone interested) I would say that they don't arrange specific events in the campaign exactly as they were, but they do give the correct context. For instance, in the newest "Victory at Stalingrad" Patch and DLC they have a Theatre of War operation that shows the taking of the bridge that allowed the Soviets to cut off the beleaguered German 6th army, and annihilate them some short time after the main counter attack and battle, in reality they took this bridge by using stolen German halftracks and gaining the absolute surprise, but in the game it's more like a battle, so not dead on, but it's not like the game makers didn't know what they were doing. I'd say I think this series is the closest to Chess I have ever seen in a video game, and it is being better balanced all the time by he Relic team, but whatever you think of that I do not think it deserves any criticism for how it showcases the war, in that regard I would say it is as accurate as you can be while still letting the player determine how he or she chooses to tackle the task at hand. Expand
  80. Nov 30, 2013
    For one, who plays COH for the campaign? I didn't even play it till i heard all the mudslinging. And on that note the multiplier is very good, not as good as the first, but still very good and i can see it getting much much better with the development of the branches and patches/expansions. And the history major in me feels the need to correct the crap being written. All i will say thatFor one, who plays COH for the campaign? I didn't even play it till i heard all the mudslinging. And on that note the multiplier is very good, not as good as the first, but still very good and i can see it getting much much better with the development of the branches and patches/expansions. And the history major in me feels the need to correct the crap being written. All i will say that there were 20,000 Polish officers were executed. 200,000 Estonians killed after soviet take over (20% of total population), 300,000 (1/3rd) Estonians were effected by deportations (via rail cars, ironically),purges and other acts of repression. 780,000 Lithuanians were killed (1/2 of whom war refugees) and 17,000 deported and if could continue with the Ukraine, other Baltic states, and Poland, but you get the idea. Russians didn't kill Russians, no. But the Baltic states wanted to be independent and were willing to fight, and so was Stalin in order to establish SSR's in their territory... Expand
  81. Dec 14, 2013
    Never undereestimate the number of IDIOTS in the world.. As evidenced by all the stupid idiots rating this game a 0? Because they don't like the story, or accucpracy or whatever All of you morons show why this world is so ****ed up. Gtfo, you retards.
  82. Jan 29, 2014
    Historically very inaccurate. One could believe the campaign scenarios where written by a Nazi propaganda officer.
    I do admit though that the game stays very fun to play.
  83. Feb 25, 2014
    It's a piece of ****! Zero. It's a sneer of history. If you want to safe remains of your mind, never play this disgusting canadian product. Programs of this nothingness will go straightly to hell))
  84. Mar 12, 2014
    I cannot rate it as RTS itself since I haven't played RTS much, but this game is absolutely **** from the history point of view. Create you own universe like WH-40k and write the scenario you want. Don't try to make a game or movie related to a REAL theme about which you don't know anything.
    If Soviets have done what shown in the game they would loose that war. The creators are idiots.
  85. Apr 13, 2014
    Creators is a **** addicts!!!! The game is a ugly ****
    **** fascists
    brainless
    idiocy
    distortion of historical reality
    developers are sick in the head people
  86. May 4, 2014
    Waited this game because I liked playing "Company of Heroes" and "Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor".

In this game I was able to play only first 2 levels because I saw only anti-soviet propaganda.

I'm russian and I can't play game where soviet soldiers are shown only as "cannon fodder".
  87. May 14, 2014
    Im Russian,the story not the reality,wrote the story culminated people,who do not understand the history.This game affront to me. Autors don't know anything about the eastern front.
  88. May 20, 2014
    Сan not be delivered -10 : (
    Lies, lies, lies. Distortion of history. Manufacturers goats. This game must be removed from sale.
    DON'T BUY IT! This is ****
  89. Jun 15, 2014
    Developers turn out situation like Russians are worse than Nazis. I know, that it's just a game, but that game play people who know nothing about the WWII in Soviet Union and they think, that this **** is truthful. I have a feeling, that they didn't even read anything about WWII. Go watch some documentary films and read historical books.
  90. Sep 6, 2013
    This is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I wasThis is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I was However, disappointed to see no public Annihilation game mode, no in game player stats and no custom game public lobby system in the multiplayer; like the first COH. I hope this issue will be addressed soon, as it was one of the aspects of Coh1 online which made it great. Although there is still alot of potential on the developers behalf in regards to more units, maps and game modes etc, don't forget that this is a new release and needs to time to develop and balance. RTS balancing is a delicate issue. I look forward to seeing it reach it's great multiplayer potential in the not so distant future. 7/10 so far. Expand
  91. Sep 8, 2013
    COH2 is a step backwards from the original COH. The maps have call of duty modern combat feel (Run like hell, shoot shoot shoot). There is NO defensive play. Population cap of 100 limits play style. Computer AI has GOD LIKE precognition of exactly what you have, where it is, and which direction it is facing. You have to mico manage the direction your MG or AT guns are facing. Me and fourCOH2 is a step backwards from the original COH. The maps have call of duty modern combat feel (Run like hell, shoot shoot shoot). There is NO defensive play. Population cap of 100 limits play style. Computer AI has GOD LIKE precognition of exactly what you have, where it is, and which direction it is facing. You have to mico manage the direction your MG or AT guns are facing. Me and four of my friends had hundreds of hours of fun playing Coop versus the computer. That isn't there anymore. No in game pause to allow you to plan and view map. I could care less about PVP play or ranking!!!!! Expand
  92. Nov 10, 2013
    Awful game, do not buy this =(
    Nothing about real history of WW2, nothing about real soviet heroes. Read a historical documents before starting to write scenario of game next time, Relic!
  93. Dec 15, 2013
    Dirty, Russophobe, anti-Soviet propaganda. This game is warped history (not just ours, but the whole the world). The script Company of Heroes 2 complete nonsense, lies, and the desecration of the memory of Soviet soldiers. Hitler and Himmler Thank you, whoever you are!
  94. Dec 27, 2013
    First off, I LOVE this game. The historical accuracy is spot-on and I applaud Relic for bringing some lesser-known tactics that were actually employed during WW2.

It's obvious some mad Russians created fake accounts to skew the user score average with hundreds of fake reviews (and I bought this game mainly to support the truth, not some crazy nationalist Russian's who want to re-write things). It's been well documented in German historical accounts that the Russians used some pretty barbaric tactics to fight the Germans how else could they fight a superior opponent? Germans killed Russians 10-1 and ran out of bullets on a number of occasions.... The Chinese used the same tactic in Korea, too; send people out to their deaths and run the enemy out of bulets!

There's a growing backlash against Russian devs such as Gaijin and Wargaming.net; they skew history to favor Russian planes and tanks and don't take in to account the real-world advantages. You can't rewrite history that's already been written....
  95. Jun 14, 2014
    The creators of the game seem to hate Russians. i could not stand the story mode. so pandering, it's just a rehashed enemy at the gates. The creators should really be ashamed.
  96. dpi
    Aug 28, 2013
    very disappointing single campaign. seems relic has very strange vision of ww2 history. yes, there were morons and bastards in red army, true. but that were single episodes. my grandpa and many many others soldiers were brave people.
  97. Sep 25, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow to CoH.

Half the game content is DLC, it is buggy and unfinished really don't waste your money on this tat
  98. Sep 29, 2013
    This is a very good game, not as good as the highly polished original. The Russian side is overpowered, units die too easily, and the unlock grind is much too long. Otherwise, its still a lot of fun, graphics and especially sounds are fantastic.
  99. Sep 29, 2013
    Anything they could have done means nothing compared to how they changed the history! Soviet soldiers killing their own for no reason? Anti-retreat units behind the ordinary lines, simply killing people? Soldiers, who don't want to fight for their country and their families? Total Soviet reign had a lot of flaws, but this game shows none of those, that really existed. Stalin was nothingAnything they could have done means nothing compared to how they changed the history! Soviet soldiers killing their own for no reason? Anti-retreat units behind the ordinary lines, simply killing people? Soldiers, who don't want to fight for their country and their families? Total Soviet reign had a lot of flaws, but this game shows none of those, that really existed. Stalin was nothing but pragmatic and all his actions were done on the basis of reason (without any mercy, that is true). Here we see the actions of maniacs lead by maniac who hates people and wished to loose the war. Total crap.

The game itself has nothing new, nothing interesting. Nothing you haven't seen somewhere else.

This game should be banned for Nazi propaganda, not sold all over the world.
  100. Aug 11, 2013
    I give this game ~7 points for fun/mechanics and so on. I loved CoH 1 and all expansions and especially the mods like Blitzkrieg. Coh 1 was a game changer some sorts, but this is a decent game which suffered from the producer going into bankrupcy and so on. Too bad.

BUT I give it 10 because of the butthurting it caused. Whiny about historical accuracy, especially by russians and coh-fanboyship. Look I am thankful that the russians saved the world from the Nazis, but they did it the way they did and far as I know this isn't as inaccurate as russians like it to be.

So Buuuhuuu go cry, but a game like that recieving a 1.5 user score is just rediculous. Grow up.

1. Oct 7, 2013