• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Oct 16, 2013
    After 200 hours played, I'm writing this review.
    Day 1 DLC, Pay to win commanders you can only unlock with real money and only work with multiplayer, and one of the most bafflingly bad million-dollar single player campaign I've ever seen in a game, Company of Heroes 2 fails on all fronts when it easily should have soared.
    The amount of reviews that seem to skip the actual gameplay to
    After 200 hours played, I'm writing this review.

The amount of reviews that seem to skip the actual gameplay to focus on "It's a nice game" sicken me and only further prove the rampant decline of gaming journalism.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    don't listen to haters

they are russian trolls or maybe even worse, they believe in what they say

they are delusional about their country's awful history, i would be ashamed also if i were russian, but this isn't a reason to writing untrue reviews

this game is very good and the history representation is very accurate
  3. Jul 30, 2013
    Not a whole amount of substance added compared to CoH ToV. The sound is the best feature and includes a well done soundtrack and good voice acting for the units

+15mission campaign that plays like Enemy at the Gates movie meets Red Orchestra +Stellar soundtrack and voice acting +good maps design and water effects the bad -not a whole graphical/ unit improvement -balance a little

+Stellar soundtrack and voice acting
    +good maps design and water effects
    the bad
    -not a whole graphical/ unit improvement
    -balance a little out of whack
    -some people didnt like the anti USSR sentiment in the campaign
    All in all, good game, but maybe not worth $60
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    CoH1 was probably superior. UI is tiny with lots of crap covering the screen, making a mess of readability. The AI obviously got no attention from coders and is unduly difficult due to its ability to attack on all fronts simultaneously. I can do 2 battles at once, but not 7. The game comes off clunky and there is, of course, a store built into the game to buy upgrades. So you can getCoH1 was probably superior. UI is tiny with lots of crap covering the screen, making a mess of readability. The AI obviously got no attention from coders and is unduly difficult due to its ability to attack on all fronts simultaneously. I can do 2 battles at once, but not 7. The game comes off clunky and there is, of course, a store built into the game to buy upgrades. So you can get small increases for your "character" (commander) by giving them money. Great balance... Expand
  5. Aug 8, 2013
    Great game.

Great game.

As a casual gamer, I put a lot of criticism on a game that is not able to engage me. Company of Heroes 2 does just that. The game brings a lot to the table, cover is usable by units and comes in unique ways such as sandbags, bunkers and even craters created by artillery over the course of the battle. Expansion plays an interesting role in the game because the territories captured by your troops need to be linked to your headquarters to obtain the resources generated by your capture points. This can become an annoyance to the player, or an ally to the opportunist.

If you look at a lot of the reviews, you're going to notice a lot of undue bias. As many of you know, Company of Heroes 2 gained a lot of attention in Russia. Do not mind them. I even read one review claiming mines and sandbags did not exist in the game, which I can tell you they in fact do. These are reviews generated by people who have most likely not even played the game.

The fact is the Soviets were no saints. Neither were the Germans. Both sides were full of normal people thrown into a brutal conflict not of their own doing, but the doing of their leaders. Remember that both countries invaded Poland in 1939 and while the Nazis killed many Jews in the Holocaust, many Ukrainians were killed by the Soviets in the Holodomor. The Eastern front in the European theater of World War 2 was simply a field of battle where two authoritarian regimes battled each other, and forces on both sides had to simply do what they were ordered and what it took to survive. A lot of these war crimes are shown in the game as witnessed by the player are things that did occur occasionally but compacted to fit a a campaign measured in hours. If they ever make a German campaign, I believe they would show the similar war crimes the Germans committed.

You'll also hear about a lot of crashes. I have experienced this, but on a 6 year old console never built for gaming. I'm no technical expert, but the reason crashes probably primarily occur are because the system could never have played the game anyways and was able to load the main menu and cut scenes (which it did for me) before crashing when the game started. Most likely problem is not inherent to the game, but the outdated systems people tried to play them on. Luckily, I got a new system later on that was able to play it, and while playing the game I have never heard any technical complaints from other people. The problem is most likely blown out to the extreme by the game's detractors.

Ultimately, my two largest problems with the game are the story and the small number of units. The small number of units in the game is exceptional however, as a all roles are covered, however it would be cool in future expansions to see more units, and possibly sub factions within the Germans and Soviets to breed more variety in gameplay. The plot itself is not very engaging to the main character, as the distance between the character and the player will be made obvious quickly, and some times the player may ask him or herself if is (s)he the main character or some unseen commander sending orders from the rear. However, it's a decent plot line that you must imagine would have been very hard to write and the gameplay more than makes up for it, as every mission is fun to play regardless of the backstory, which can be very interesting at times.

My final review rests at a 10. It may not be the perfect game a 10 demands but I place it as a step in the right direction for Relic, improvements to the story would be great in an expansion. And as far as World War 2 games go, which are few these days, this game is great and the current leader in World War 2 strategy games.
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    This is the best RTS in last 5 years. Amazing graphics and sound effects. Great gameplay. Game also has very interesting singleplayer as well as online modes.
  7. Aug 9, 2013
    Wow. I need to admit that this is the best strategy game I played in my life. I like everything in this game. I find it very realistic and fun. Online matches are great.
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    The gameplay in COH2 was substantially similar to its predecessor, with a strong emphasis on the micromanagement of individual units: a large army with troops little different or poorly organized will nearly always lead to defeat, forcing the player to properly evaluate which deploy troops on the battlefield At first missions of the campaign, more linear and simple to manage, follow itThe gameplay in COH2 was substantially similar to its predecessor, with a strong emphasis on the micromanagement of individual units: a large army with troops little different or poorly organized will nearly always lead to defeat, forcing the player to properly evaluate which deploy troops on the battlefield At first missions of the campaign, more linear and simple to manage, follow it where other maps broader compel you to calculate and offensive and defensive strategies effectively position their soldiers. The game environment is in fact extremely vivid and lifelike: houses, ruins, vehicles and shelters of all kinds will be used (or destroyed) by our armed forces, and the examination of the play (for example, through the use of snipers) will be a fundamental practice. In particular, the glacial environment of Russia opens the way to new strategies and difficulties to be faced: the snow will slow down the soldiers, the storms will kill them for hypothermia while the ice will be destroyed by drowning in the icy waters those who pass through it. Overall I can assure you that the attention that will be given to the battlefield will always be high. Expand
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is good and I do not understand why that was found in this story, some people, even though I myself Russian. Those who put the game a bad score would remember modern warfare when it was rastrelivat Russian!
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    I have never really been into RTS games but CoH2 got me in. This game is amazing, really fun to play and beautiful. I don't understand who users give it such a low score.
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    Personally I have only played CoH 1 for multiplayer skirmishes against the PC and it is likely that CoH 2 will almost only be used in this sense. Therefore, it pleased me and my friends greatly to find out that the AI in CoH 2 has gotten a major overhaul from the predictable patterns of CoH 1.
    After getting used to the new supports, new UI and new way of playing, we are finally getting in the position that bashing normal AI's can be won.
    I get that a lot of people are ticked off because CoH 2 has not become a successor of CoH 1 in the strictest sense; but for me it is definitely an improvement.
  12. Aug 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is horrible describing the Russians. Even though I am not Russian myself, nor am I from ex-SSRs, it is just wrong to describe them as the "evil red empire". This is a huge insult to all Russians and Slavic people that participated in the defeat of the Nazis, living or dead. Seriously, relic? I was expecting a lot better!!! This is probably even worse than the Eastern Front mod in terms of game play. Expand
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    Total lies about russians. WHy you think, that they burnt their houses at the start of war? Why you think they are fought against nazis in Stalingrad only because of this order of Stalin? What a stupid
  14. dpi
    Aug 28, 2013
    very disappointing single campaign. seems relic has very strange vision of ww2 history. yes, there were morons and bastards in red army, true. but that were single episodes. my grandpa and many many others soldiers were brave people.
  15. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is getting a terrible score because of inaccuracy about what actually happened in history. Not going to lie i do believe some of these things did in fact happen but the game took it to the extreme. However giving it a score below 3 ONLY because of that is beyond stupidity. Anyone care to talk about the game play, customization and the multiplayer? No they don't because they areThis game is getting a terrible score because of inaccuracy about what actually happened in history. Not going to lie i do believe some of these things did in fact happen but the game took it to the extreme. However giving it a score below 3 ONLY because of that is beyond stupidity. Anyone care to talk about the game play, customization and the multiplayer? No they don't because they are crying over a game that misinterprets history. WHO CARES! This is not the History or Military channel! I understand they should have actually spent the time to learn history and make their game historic but rating it a 0-4 only because of that. That is very stupid and you guys should never be judges. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2013
    Yet another trash "game" that is nothing but a stripped down demo, waiting to be "enhanced" by an endless parade of DLC. Another franchise ruined by horrible business practices. Playing this game in full will cost in the hundreds, and even then, it is a shadow of the original (totally complete and awesome) Company of Heroes. This game is great if you enjoy helping to fund a greedy gameYet another trash "game" that is nothing but a stripped down demo, waiting to be "enhanced" by an endless parade of DLC. Another franchise ruined by horrible business practices. Playing this game in full will cost in the hundreds, and even then, it is a shadow of the original (totally complete and awesome) Company of Heroes. This game is great if you enjoy helping to fund a greedy game executive's third summer home. Expand
  17. Sep 2, 2013
    For all normal people and PC players: This is great RTS and excellent continuation of the first CoH! Do NOT listen to those "history knowledgeable" individuals who claim something about nazi propaganda. The story is based on fact! Do not be discouraged from great experience!
    For all Russians: What do you think about dictators? What do you think about Soviet Union? The only difference between Stalin and Hitler was the one that Stalinist Russia joined the Allies! Perhaps you forgot to political murder officers and artists? Perhaps you forgot the massacre of Polish generals and high military leaders at Smolensk? Perhaps you forgot they killed its own soldiers? Nazi terror is certainly undeniable, but do NOT forget that the Russians also had gulags and murdered on a large scale. This game shows the heroic Russian soldiers in the historical context of their own regime. It's true. Note that, finally!
    Sep 4, 2013
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes. I expected Relic shows Red Army as heroes too (btw they were heroes, we dont forgot yet, they stopped most of nazi forces). But what the..? I am extremely disappointed. In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes.

But what the..? I am extremely disappointed.
    In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for people who develop realistic game about history.

Gameplay doesnt change. Completely.
    Soldiers dont jump over obstacles by themselves, are they stupid or what?
    They also never rotate heavy weapons without direct order.
    Truesight, Coldtech, is it all that Relic made for 7 years?
    Missions are same.
    Germans are overpowered, engineers for example.
    Game is less realistic than CoH1.
    And DLC's, the evil of all games, hate!
    Seriously, just keep playing CoH1, it is more interesting.

What I can say about CoH2?
    I NOT recommend this for playing and especially for learning history.
  19. Sep 25, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow to CoH.

20. Sep 13, 2013
    CoH 2 is a very difficult strategy game, that require skill to be played. But is a high level strategy game, very well balanced and rich of content. If you like RTS with hi level of challenge CoH2 is the best! [i'm talking about multiplayer, because I play only MP]
  21. Sep 29, 2013
    This is a very good game, not as good as the highly polished original. The Russian side is overpowered, units die too easily, and the unlock grind is much too long. Otherwise, its still a lot of fun, graphics and especially sounds are fantastic.
  22. Sep 25, 2013
    revising my review to 0/10 for changing the game to pay2win. GJ sega, by go screw up some1 elses franchise now too.

After buying and playing the original and all the Expansions and DLCs I couldn't wait to play CoH 2. Unfortunately its bloody awful. Its all just rush rush rush and the gameplay is frankly irritating and boring. The first game is the best in my opinion and each expansion has taken something away from the game.

CoH 2 isn't bad, its terrible. Maps aren't great, AI is terrible, squad control is fiddly and really is a step backwards, voice acting isn't immersive, environment isn't pretty or outstanding in any way.

If you haven't played CoH or Opposing Fronts, buy those. Much much much better games and good value for money now. Wasted my money and won't be playing CoH2 any more.
  23. Sep 29, 2013
    Anything they could have done means nothing compared to how they changed the history! Soviet soldiers killing their own for no reason? Anti-retreat units behind the ordinary lines, simply killing people? Soldiers, who don't want to fight for their country and their families? Total Soviet reign had a lot of flaws, but this game shows none of those, that really existed. Stalin was nothingAnything they could have done means nothing compared to how they changed the history! Soviet soldiers killing their own for no reason? Anti-retreat units behind the ordinary lines, simply killing people? Soldiers, who don't want to fight for their country and their families? Total Soviet reign had a lot of flaws, but this game shows none of those, that really existed. Stalin was nothing but pragmatic and all his actions were done on the basis of reason (without any mercy, that is true). Here we see the actions of maniacs lead by maniac who hates people and wished to loose the war. Total crap.

The game itself has nothing new, nothing interesting. Nothing you haven't seen somewhere else.

This game should be banned for Nazi propaganda, not sold all over the world.
  24. Sep 22, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow and racism to CoH.

Half the game content is DLC, it is buggy and unfinished really don't waste your money on this tat.
  25. Sep 23, 2013
    Ce jeu est nul, i'histoire présentée est complètement mensongère. Aucun progrès niveau graphique depuis la sortie du première volet (2006 quand même!). A foutre dans les poubelles. (toute façon je n'ai la pas acheté, essayé chez un ami et décidé de ne pas offrir 50€ cette équipe des bras cassés).
  26. Sep 25, 2013

CoH 2 isn't bad, its terrible. Maps aren't great, AI is terrible, squad

Very sad that one of my favourite games ever has stopped so low.
  27. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is now more like cheap pay2win asian mmo's with huge "STORE" button in every sub-menu of the game. It's not a AAA RTS title it's a simple,little machine designed to rip you off. Just check the game's steam store page and feast your eyes with tons of DLCs. Oh and now they started actual new units to the game..and you must PAY to play them. How is this fair in a competitiveThis game is now more like cheap pay2win asian mmo's with huge "STORE" button in every sub-menu of the game. It's not a AAA RTS title it's a simple,little machine designed to rip you off. Just check the game's steam store page and feast your eyes with tons of DLCs. Oh and now they started actual new units to the game..and you must PAY to play them. How is this fair in a competitive multiplayer game? Expand
  28. Sep 30, 2013
    I have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, noI have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, no lobbies, crappy framerate and elo system, automatch sucks, maps sucks, the players of this game sucks and his community. Expand
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    So i've read plenty of other reviews of this game, and its staunch defenders come across as zealots. None of them put forth any arguments as to why this game is as good as they claim it is, they just attempt to will it into being. Only one "official" reviewer got it dead right, although he did gave a low score of 20/100, but from what i understand his standards are high. I recommendSo i've read plenty of other reviews of this game, and its staunch defenders come across as zealots. None of them put forth any arguments as to why this game is as good as they claim it is, they just attempt to will it into being. Only one "official" reviewer got it dead right, although he did gave a low score of 20/100, but from what i understand his standards are high. I recommend reading his too.

I won't evaluate the campaign. It causes much controversy over how historically accurate/fair it is and i feel it has little to do with the point of the CoH franchise, which has always been the incredibly fun multiplayer and innovative unit dynamic and terrain interplay.

Finally some reviewers are going to say you should not review this game by comparing it to the original.
    Wrong! Considering its basically the same game engine, and the core idea is kept the same, you HAVE to, since if two games are the same, naturally you should pick the game which does it best. And more than any sequel, Coh1 and Coh2 ARE the same game, and well CoH1 still does it MUCH better.

Here is why:
    Despite the new game having better graphics (more particles, more gritty, more detail), it fails to improve on anything else from the original, and actually removes many fun or simply informative features. It also introduces an incredible boring grind reward system which is better suited to MMO's whose entire raison d'etre is "the grind".

One of the core features of the original was the commander tree abilities. In game you could decide, as the situation demanded, which tree you played, followed then by two different paths further choice as to how far up the path you go before you pick the low hanging fruit of the other path. This meant you could customize your commander path a lot, based on what was happening in game. In long games you eventually unlocked them all. This was a great feature.

This feature is gone in the CoH2. Instead they have you pick your tree before the game begins, and this shorter tree now unlocks their abilities one at a time. I also felt the abilities were simply less fun compared to the original (they are toned down to the point where i did not care about 3 out of the 5 abilities as they didn't seem to do anything)

The interface is another problem. It is so bereft of information and even color that unit effectiveness is impossible to gauge, and its hard to tell if your commander tree ability is unlocked or not, or even how to activate it. yes, i'm sure this can be overcome with time, but why? why implement a worse UI?

I noticed some unit damage gameplay changes that were long ago dismissed during balance testing of Coh1. Grenades are now ineffective (i threw MANY). They are now just something that does a little bit of damage to all the units. instead of killing a random amount of troops outright like it did in Coh1. In Coh1, grenade dodging became a hard earned skill as you had to watch for the "reach in my pocket" animation, and then run! I always liked the various unit abilities (fun a varied in Coh1), but in Coh2,there are just a handful, and they are weak.

Finally, CoH1 tried to make every faction completely different from the other. It was hard to balance, and they got a lot of criticism for how it was balanced, but it created a wonderful diversity. CoH2 just gives us two factions that are too similar, and also they are too similar to the ones in CoH1. So factions-wise. nothing interesting.

anyway, thats the worst of it, the commander tree, the grindy +2% crap, and the fewer unit abilities and weaker incarnation of them. I still play CoH1, and its the more fun game. it just is, and the graphics which were always top notch are withstanding the test of time, quite easily.

One simply MUST review this game in context of its predecessor. They are too similar, yet CoH2 is an example of game design failure and attempt to create a micro-transaction system that provides no value for money, and CoH1 is a wonderful triumph of design and respect for RTS gamers.

If CoH1 did not exist, i'll admit i'd give CoH2 7/10. but i'm sorry the pandora is out the box. we KNOW now what is really good in this type of game, and you can't close the box.
  30. Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you Sega. Thank you Relic.
    I am from Russia. And I was very impressed with the plot of this game.
    Now I know what you think about the life of my grandparents. You have found the worst of the bad. And you said all that was, was bad. You said that this story objectively. P.s.: This is the latest game that I bought at Sega or Relic. I ask everyone, who considers himself a Russian
    Thank you Sega. Thank you Relic.
    I am from Russia. And I was very impressed with the plot of this game.
    Now I know what you think about the life of my grandparents.
    You have found the worst of the bad. And you said all that was, was bad.
    You said that this story objectively.
    P.s.: This is the latest game that I bought at Sega or Relic. I ask everyone, who considers himself a Russian would join me. I think this position will be the objective.
  31. Dec 28, 2013
    Game distorts the truth about the Soviet Union, the gameplay has not changed compared to the first part of the game, the game is just awful, I got the impression, game CoH2 developers are fans of the Fascists
  32. Feb 15, 2014
    All the debate about "historical accuracy" is largely irrelevant as it is a GAME based on historical events -- it is not and it does not purport to be an actual historical document. Some people simply cannot move on from that fact.

More importantly, the game itself simply sucks. Surely my personal greatest disappointment of 2013 (with Rome II a close second, thanks SEGA for both!), a degeneration from CoH1. And the argument that "Coh1 wasn't perfect on release either!!!", it certainty wasn't but it had a fundamentally good design core that is lacking in this release.

There are those that say "ride it out and in a few years time they will have patched it into a great (aka finally playable) state". Guess people should ride out their crappy marriages year after year in the hope that finally they'll get their act together and live happily ever fairy tale after also.

Because if you believe it hard enough, then surely it MUST come true, right?
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    Okay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for IsakovichOkay, this game is fantastic and all the negative reviews on here are part of the protest by Russian gamers in response to the portrayal of the USSR in the course of World War 2 during the campaign. What else can I say? The story is great and honestly I didn't find the portrayal of soviets in a negative way at all. I found the regret of the higher command very honorable and for Isakovich to regret his use of his men after the war is to me very honorable.

34. Feb 24, 2014
    Not as well balanced as the original with less interesting units, abilities and combos. As of me writing this, Relic is finally getting around to updating the matchmaking system (about 9 years late), so hopefully the changes are improvements.

Russia seems to have brought hell down on Relic. One point that I can sympathize over; its company of HEROES, where in the single player campaign you follow a traitor and cry baby Russian who was anything but a hero.

In multiplayer they have greatly reduced the importance of countering units with other units. It has been dulled down by simply bringing numbers and using range attacks. Hopefully this gets fixed in later patches and this game lives up to what we would expect as a continuation of Company of Heroes.
  35. Aug 29, 2013
    I love what they have done, the eastern front is so much fun.

The game looks great and sounds amazing, the MP is brilliant and has a lot of unlocks which lets you customise your army which makes for some interesting plays.

Get it now!
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    No where near as good as the first one, but still a solid RTS. And seriously people, make your rating based off of game play and not some part of the campaign where its "offensive towards Russians."
  37. Nov 29, 2013
    I played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro allI played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro all over the battlefield all the time. I do not always want to play like that. German armor seemed to be made of glas, it takes ages to kill infantery with a normal p4. Im spending more time repairing tanks and heal my inf then im actualy fighting. Its just a bad choice to choose this engine. Perhaps its a nice game for the people who love playing against other people. But i cant play it as a relexed game like i did coh1. Imo crap. I believe the makers dont understand what all the strengts where of the first part. Furthermore they make this game a milking cow with all their dlc's. All these commanders with basicly all the same abilitys but a bit reshuffeled.

The popcap is way to low, you can only have a handfull of units. No way you can leave a defence force at one place because you just cant afford it. You just move to one point to the other, finding out that the opponent just recaps the places you just captured. Boring.

So disappointed. lucky i can still play the first part.
  38. Oct 11, 2013
    This game has been marketed as a serious historical accuracy one, and the dev said they had done enough homework for the history. Well it seems that they've learned history from old cold war propaganda, and talking about the historical accuracy, I think even Stalin vs Martians does history better than this crap.
  39. Dec 8, 2013
    I have a decent rig and find that I can't even run the performance test on COH2 without severe stuttering at the lowest settings. Horrible optimization from a game that I expected to be better than the original. Stick with the original, this one is broken!
  40. Aug 9, 2013
    while I have greatly enjoyed previous installments of Company of Heroes (and for that matter I still am as Tales of Valor is still on Quick Launch), I cannot say the same about CoH2. I have waited for this game anxiously just to find a game that is full of regurgitated gameplay, regurgitated clinches and pretty much nothing spectacular.
    Aside the story being nothing but a posterchild for
    Aside the story being nothing but a posterchild for "barbaric, savage soviets" cliches and disrespecting the people that fought that war, the game brings nothing significantly new when compared to CoH aside higher system requirements and snow.
    My advice don't rush into buying this game yet (like I did), look for some other game or wait for the price to get lower if you want to have it. In the meantime play CoH, you won't loose anything important.
  41. Sep 24, 2013
    Excellent game, and a SPOT ON portrayal of the communists. I know that a lot of russians take exception to their dark and terrible history, in which they have NOTHING to be proud of and EVERYTHING to be shamed of, but they should not expect the rest of the world to indulge in that fantasy.

Even many russian youth are embracing far-right activity, as they know full well how evil and wrong communism is on so many levels.

Kudos to the developers for creating such a wonderful game that ACCURATELY portrays the commies for what they were.
  42. Sep 20, 2013
    I'm not gonna say it's good.. cause it isn't.

Anyway, there are way too many russians complaining about "anti-soviet" and "anti-russian". First off, anti-soviet would be good. Second of all, it's not anti-russian. It's just that what you think is real history is just what your government tries to teach you, that they were the nicest and best people on earth, it's natural.
    I'm not gonna say it's good.. cause it isn't.

Unfortunately, commissars were often bad people. They sacrificed loads of soldiers. Many russians during the time were uneducated and therefore perhaps not the smartest people on earth, because that's what communism does. It relies on the mass to be uneducated. I don't quite understand however, how they can portray them as coward-ish. Well, some people only went to war when drunk, many in-fact. But they still loyally charged when told to, they had no choice after all. They might have taken some aspects a little too harshly, but overall it's not as "unrealistic" as some people here say. Then again, what they think is right is very unrealistic.

Either way, this game fails to bring in new content and new ideas, the balance is off in some places, and I assure you it is not only the germans that are "unbalanced". I would recommend just going back to company of heroes 1 instead, it's nicer and more innovative.
  43. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game amazing RTS really the detail and combat mechanics are really amazing. Its a great merging of all of the ideas from the last one and a few from the DOW series too.
    Ignore the people screaming about historical facts, they are lashing out from a personal view and expect a video game to be accurate.
  44. Sep 11, 2013
    Multiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certainMultiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certain units. Most of these bulletins are absolutely useless, everybody good is using the same 10 which is really stale and pointless. But aside from that, the core gameplay is pretty good.

Campaign: This is why the game has a 1.6 user score. Though the missions are pretty fun to play, the plot is just terrible. It should be called Company of War Criminals, because rather than focus on the heroism of the soldiers (there are some instances but few and far between) the whole purpose of the story is to demonize the Soviets. I know the Soviets did some bad things, but even the Russians wouldn't go burning down farm houses with their own citizens inside still inside to "deny the enemy". This franchise is not about war crimes, but if they were going to go that direction they should have showed both sides of the coin. A Russian commentator made a video exposing the campaign for the piece of crap it is, and after it went viral the user score plummeted in hours.

Theater of War: Missions you can play cooperatively or singleplayer. I was skeptical at first but they are quite fun, they are like a full campaign minus the propaganda.

Patches: They are actively patching the game and have really been listening to feedback.

Audio: Great, as usual for Relic games.

Grahpics: The textures haven't improved that much since the original, but they did add a ton of detail to the particle effects.

DLC: $100 worth of DLC just 2 months after release, with much more to come. And I thought EA/Activision were pirates.... #dafuqwereyouthinking

If I were to take in to account the horrid campaign, CoH2 would get a 4/10. But since multiplayer is what makes or breaks this game, I give it a 7/10. Two steps forward and three steps backward from the original, but luckily CoH1 was the highest rated RTS of all time so we are left with a "decent" game.
  45. Jan 9, 2014
    Great game. One of the few examples where developers were not afraid to show the truth. Keep it up! For those who say that the game is lying recommend to learn history. On the other hand, it is not surprising that many Russians considers it as lies. Unfortunately it is still normal to falsifying the history in Russia.
  46. Aug 7, 2013
    If it wasn't for the shoddy campaign, I'd give this a 10. It's cliche, and rather corny with horribly led voiceovers. Other than that, this game is great. People like to say that this game is unbalanced, and that the German Reich just sits around and toys with the Russian defenders until they receive tanks, then it's game over. Let's think about this. The Germans WERE vastly superior inIf it wasn't for the shoddy campaign, I'd give this a 10. It's cliche, and rather corny with horribly led voiceovers. Other than that, this game is great. People like to say that this game is unbalanced, and that the German Reich just sits around and toys with the Russian defenders until they receive tanks, then it's game over. Let's think about this. The Germans WERE vastly superior in terms of firearms, artillery, and tank warfare. For the love of God, the Russians were still using a Maxim machine gun, just a variant of the Vickers (British) which was from WORLD WAR ONE. Not only was it heavier, slower, and less reliable, it needed water cooling and required more men to belt feed it. The MG42 was a vastly superior gun, and deserves it's place as "OP" as some people like to call it (Those people being on the wrong end of the barrel.) This game takes place in 1941. The Germans were swooping through Russia, miles a day because of how superior they were. The Russians just couldn't match to that. Everyone likes to complain about the issue of balance, and it's just not balanced like Starcraft II or other RTS games. There isn't a cookie cutter counter to every single unit out there. There's not always a solid answer. If you kids can't realize that, then don't play the game, it's clearly too difficult for you and you just can't handle it. Hell, I've seen a pair of T70's tackle a Panther, the most daunting task I've ever seen, and they succeeded simply because they kept trying. Just because you lose a group of units or you lose a tank doesn't mean you have the right to call this game unbalanced or horrible. I've been on the brink of losing and a rail cannon shot saved my butt, then I marched a line of slaughter straight to their base and won last second. Now let's move to the game compatability issues. I have two computers, an Alienware rig I custom built, and a crappy Dell Vostro. It runs on both, perfectly. I bought the game for $30 (roughly 22 Euros) on Ebay. Just search for a better price, it's bound to be out there. You don't HAVE to pay the full price. Just because it's not free or 5 bucks doesn't give you the right to call it expensive or overpriced. Let's move on to the Soviet commanders. They're not all beasts. They showed how many Lieutenants, and the one in the campaign storyline? So, you're saying those 3-4 men represent the largest country in Europe, and that they're all savage animals who shoot their on men? No. There's corruption in every land. It's not anti-soviet, it's not racist. YOU'RE just not thinking before you point your finger. Order 227 was a REAL order, and you didn't have a choice with conscription. You fought, or you died. That much is true. Just because you can't cope with the extreme culture of another country (that isn't even the USSR anymore and hasn't been for going on 15 years), doesn't mean you can say Relic is racist. The Russian winter is cold. It's REALLY cold. It can kill you. If you can get stuck out there, you're an idiot and you'll freeze to death. Ask Napoleon, he can vouch for it. Just because your men die in the cold, doesn't give you the right to call the weather "broken". Learn to play the game like I have, and you can see how great this game truly is. You kids give up so easily these days, and blame the system rather than realize you have problems yourself that you can't overcome. I'm done. -JP44 Expand
  47. Aug 9, 2013
    Personally I like this game. Find so many good things in it. Graphics look stunning. Campaign is very realistic. Online matches are very fun. Best game of 2013.
  48. Aug 9, 2013
    If i'm honest i'm one of the few people who didn't really enjoy the first company of heroes. However COH 2 is the best WWII strategy games I have played. The campaign is very well done, with an interesting and fun story line, while the multiplayer is amazing RTS gameplay. On top of this are the really well done graphics and mechanics such as weather effects that cause your troops to freezeIf i'm honest i'm one of the few people who didn't really enjoy the first company of heroes. However COH 2 is the best WWII strategy games I have played. The campaign is very well done, with an interesting and fun story line, while the multiplayer is amazing RTS gameplay. On top of this are the really well done graphics and mechanics such as weather effects that cause your troops to freeze if they are left in the cold for too long. Overall simply brilliant. Expand
  49. Aug 9, 2013
    Privet/Hello

I am from Russian and here we play Company of Heroes 2 a lot. This game simply great. The best thing in this game is feel of battles. Battles look great and very dynamic.

Thanks
  50. Aug 9, 2013
    if you enjoyed games like warhammer and the fighting in total war game then this is game for you the story and voice acting and things might not be the best but gameplay brings this game right up to the top.
  51. Aug 29, 2013
    The studio (Relic) which set the standard for RTS games back in 2006 with the release of company of heroes have managed to maintain the quality of the previous games once again.

COH2 is set on the eastern front of WW2 from the point of view of a Soviet soldier. The story takes you from the initial invasion of Russia by the Germans to their final bastion in Berlin. During the campaign you will engage in small scale operations, tank hunting, sniper duty, scorched earth and to large scale tank battles.

It is cold, so very cold and subsequently blizzards happen which slow down the action and require you to seek warmth for your troops, surprisingly this feature works well, It gives the game a new dynamic which plays into your strategy of being a Soviet commander.

The visual quality as you would expect, fantastic. The physics once again bring you huge smile to your face when houses explode into pieces, walls get crushed, the ice cracks open, the world reacts how it should.

The unit audio is another element which sets the COH series apart other RTS games. Vehicles sound heavy and menacing, hearing a Tiger tanks engines roar somewhere from the battlefield sends a little tingle of fear down your spine and the scream of the Katyushas makes every German commander get a ping of anxiety.

Soldiers audio reactions to situations is unique to COH and brings them to life, you actually care if they die.

The multiplayer is also brilliant and well worth the money alone, with unlocks and a steady stream of improvements and content being released from Relic it has only got better and Relic are committed to adding more content and improvements.

I cannot stress how good this game is. Even if you do not have an interest in WW2 you will love the gameplay, crave the destruction, and desire the victories.

Do not miss out playing one of the best RTS games in the mostly highly rated series in history.
  52. Aug 14, 2013
    Notice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame onNotice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame on those who rate zero that clearly didn't even play the game before voicing their biased opinion! Expand
  53. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm Russian and I hate the plot, but game play is very good. I suppose, 95% of haters from Russia don't play at this game, they just... i don't know how it can be described...
  54. Aug 20, 2013
    Best game this year so far hands down. It is a very polished product taking into consideration the problems the team had to cope with during the development process. I was afraid that CoH2 couldn't step out of the shadow of its predecessor, but truth is that it is a worthy successor to the best RTS of all time.
  55. Aug 21, 2013
    I have no idea why many despise this game so much. Aside for the anti-Russian propaganda, this game is an unbelievable game. Yes I disagree with some aspects of the game, such as day 1 DLC, but still, the game itself is pristine. All the 0 ratings either don't like the game because it doesn't run well on their computer, they don't like the UI, or it's anti-Russian. I can understand theI have no idea why many despise this game so much. Aside for the anti-Russian propaganda, this game is an unbelievable game. Yes I disagree with some aspects of the game, such as day 1 DLC, but still, the game itself is pristine. All the 0 ratings either don't like the game because it doesn't run well on their computer, they don't like the UI, or it's anti-Russian. I can understand the Russian prejudice towards this game, but to everyone else: grow up. Expand
  56. Aug 29, 2013
    Great game. And finally game with REAL HISTORY. Amazing climate, great music and good graphics. And stop whining russians. You were monsters like nazis. Get over it.
  57. Sep 2, 2013
    Great Game! A lot of fun and the graphics are great for a strategy game.

Multiplayer does need some more maps and hopefully expansions down the track will fix this problem. The campaign is involving and they do cross into some deep water with the controversial story line. But if you have learnt any history you would actually realise this is a very truthful and stark reminder of the
    Great Game! A lot of fun and the graphics are great for a strategy game.

The campaign is involving and they do cross into some deep water with the controversial story line. But if you have learnt any history you would actually realise this is a very truthful and stark reminder of the bloodshed hell Russian soldiers went through just to come out alive and to serve mother Russia,

The flack this game is getting in reviews is ridiculous and people are doing the usual and turning there back on history. Ever heard of the the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact? Look it up and do a little bit of reading. Nazi concentration camps? Where do you think the Germans got the idea from? Many smaller European nations including Finland went through mass genocide, millions murdered by the Russians for land and resource's. Only reason Russia wanted to turn on Germany is because they had there own agenda including communism and plans to expand even more... committing hideous war crimes at the cost of millions and millions of innocent lives. Yet they are forgiven and forgotten... not even spoke of.. that's why you probably gave the game a 0. Look a little deeper next time
  58. Sep 6, 2013
    This is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I wasThis is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I was However, disappointed to see no public Annihilation game mode, no in game player stats and no custom game public lobby system in the multiplayer; like the first COH. I hope this issue will be addressed soon, as it was one of the aspects of Coh1 online which made it great. Although there is still alot of potential on the developers behalf in regards to more units, maps and game modes etc, don't forget that this is a new release and needs to time to develop and balance. RTS balancing is a delicate issue. I look forward to seeing it reach it's great multiplayer potential in the not so distant future. 7/10 so far. Expand
  59. Sep 8, 2013
    COH2 is a step backwards from the original COH. The maps have call of duty modern combat feel (Run like hell, shoot shoot shoot). There is NO defensive play. Population cap of 100 limits play style. Computer AI has GOD LIKE precognition of exactly what you have, where it is, and which direction it is facing. You have to mico manage the direction your MG or AT guns are facing. Me and fourCOH2 is a step backwards from the original COH. The maps have call of duty modern combat feel (Run like hell, shoot shoot shoot). There is NO defensive play. Population cap of 100 limits play style. Computer AI has GOD LIKE precognition of exactly what you have, where it is, and which direction it is facing. You have to mico manage the direction your MG or AT guns are facing. Me and four of my friends had hundreds of hours of fun playing Coop versus the computer. That isn't there anymore. No in game pause to allow you to plan and view map. I could care less about PVP play or ranking!!!!! Expand
  60. Sep 24, 2013
    Dear Relic. Your game is awesome and I'm having much fun playing it. Don't listen to these Russians who don't even know (or don't want to) about their history. It is a very first game which shows real behavior of russians in World War 2. I'm proud of you Relic, do not be intimidated!
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    Worst of tthe worst. No sli, buggy, crappy gameplay. bad performance. and just the same game in a new skin.
    Words do not exist tp explain my dissapointmen
  62. Oct 6, 2013
    I created this account specifically to warn gamers of how horrible COH 2 is. I LOVED THE ORIGINAL COH! I cant speak for the historical inaccuracies of the story line in COH 2, but I can speak for the game-play. The game-play makes it impossible to play as the soviets outside of the campaign mode. I watched videos on you tube and read countless guides, then I played 30+ games vs AI and lostI created this account specifically to warn gamers of how horrible COH 2 is. I LOVED THE ORIGINAL COH! I cant speak for the historical inaccuracies of the story line in COH 2, but I can speak for the game-play. The game-play makes it impossible to play as the soviets outside of the campaign mode. I watched videos on you tube and read countless guides, then I played 30+ games vs AI and lost almost every time on standard difficulty. The Germans have armor within a few minutes of gaming and you have almost nothing... not even RPGs or Bazookas to stop the armored vehicles. I have never played such an uneven game. I wish I could get my money back. Expand
  63. Oct 7, 2013
    This game is awful just friggin awful.

8 years after CoH and all we get are new skins. AI is so much dumber now... seriously the cover system is totally broken. Oh yeah and the story sucks so to add insult to injury it's worse than CoH.

Just so bad to release a game like this. It's not even friggin optimized and runs sluggish as hell!!
  64. Oct 8, 2013
    I believe there is only one reason why this game is exist. The reason is that nazi are alive and they have made this game for other nazi. Authors and publishers of this game should be imprisoned.
  65. Oct 10, 2013
    Great parody from Canadians. Apparently, Canadians have their own history books. To those who swallowed this story you can put the appropriate diagnosis. This game doesnt even deserve any points.
  66. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel sorry I have bought the game, based on critic review I thought it will be a good game, they give 80 rating to every game probably. I was wrong it is not better than Company of heroes 1 also it is anti-russian and anti-historical bunch of stupid lies which make me angry hire historian on start reading books before you make story. Shame on you Relic. Expand
  67. Oct 14, 2013
    I cant believe it they made a horrible story out of russian army, some of that, thas was in the game is true but they giving us this like it was the only truth about soviet army. that wery wery dishonorable!!!
  68. Oct 22, 2013
    To everyone complaining that its not CoH1: you got it right, this is not CoH1. I am big CoH1 fan, but still, the game is amazing!
    However:
    The voices are terrible (-1).
    High price (-1)

Beware of fake reviews. After reading some of the reviews, most of the poorly rated ones are blatantly bogus.
  69. Oct 21, 2013
    Gaming is an art, where you can like a book to tell the story. This story is false and degrading everything they fought in the Second World War. Well at least not as shown in the concentration camps of the Nazis take care of the poor Jews and Slavs. While they were killed like animals everybody.
  70. Oct 24, 2013
    To all the dumb out there who believe that the game is created by neo-fascists/national socialists, and further believe that the developers hate Russians need to do a little research before blabber their fat capitalist pig mouths at a perfectly fine game. In fact, I did the research for you all. The Russians did IN FACT kill their if found retreating. This is known as order 227,To all the dumb out there who believe that the game is created by neo-fascists/national socialists, and further believe that the developers hate Russians need to do a little research before blabber their fat capitalist pig mouths at a perfectly fine game. In fact, I did the research for you all. The Russians did IN FACT kill their if found retreating. This is known as order 227, commissioned by commissar Stalin himself. This was to prohibit all further retreat of the communist red army of Russia. My sources are from this little thing called Wikipedia. Please learn to research before you speak. I do not think this game really deserves a TEN, alas to weed out the unfair ratting based on opion of false history, I must give it such.
  71. Feb 19, 2014
    In short : Not worth playing.

Won't trust the Metacritic? Just check the Steam reviews, you can see some reviewers have invested 300+ hours to the game and still, they give negative reviews. The only good thing is the true sight mechanic. But then, it's not a really a strong leap in gaming. Warland EE and Warland Airland is a better game with realism in mind. The others? Bad.
    In short : Not worth playing.

The others? Bad.
    Pathfinding sucks. This alone should stop you to buy this game.
    Not to mention having to purchase tons of DLC to play a "commander". Some games still have the decency to not sell important things in DLC, but Relic thought that it would be great to sell out important things. Some game decently only sells skins or things to display, but Relic choose to be hated by selling out important things.

Congratulations to Relic for killing Company of Heroes.
  72. Oct 26, 2013
    Igra fignya i otstoy. Posle pervoy chasti i addonov ozhidalos' mnogoe, a tam fuflo. Nado bilo snachala chitat' otzivi, vozmozhno, ne bil bi tak razocharovan.
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    The singleplayer experience is ruined with utterly offensive plot and disgusting gameplay issues. As far as Relics say 'it's all authentic' the pleasure of playing this is second to none.
  74. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is one of the dirtiest, ridiculous and absurd propaganda in the spirit of the Cold War in order to not only distort the historical facts, but also to discredit the heroes of those terrible times
  75. Nov 2, 2013
    MID OR FEED MID OR FEED cyka cyka cyka
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    Nice game maybe not as good as the first one but fair enough. I dont understand why people flames so much about that Germans just pwned Russians from 1941 to 1943. And I like that there is one game that doesn't make Germans as some dump fools who lose everything and fail everything. Yeah Germany lost the war but it didn't fail everything. Warms my heart when I see a game where I can putNice game maybe not as good as the first one but fair enough. I dont understand why people flames so much about that Germans just pwned Russians from 1941 to 1943. And I like that there is one game that doesn't make Germans as some dump fools who lose everything and fail everything. Yeah Germany lost the war but it didn't fail everything. Warms my heart when I see a game where I can put Russians to hell. Expand
  77. Nov 12, 2013
    Extremely disappointing! I've been following the development of this game for quite a while, I really didn't expected Relic to release such a "broken" game. There's no real innovations, the game play is boring compared to the original, there's a real lack of cleverness in this new tittle: even the HUD Menus are a mess. The great COH 1 multiplayer mechanisms are lost. They should have keptExtremely disappointing! I've been following the development of this game for quite a while, I really didn't expected Relic to release such a "broken" game. There's no real innovations, the game play is boring compared to the original, there's a real lack of cleverness in this new tittle: even the HUD Menus are a mess. The great COH 1 multiplayer mechanisms are lost. They should have kept developing COHO as a free to play, this was way better! Expand
  78. Nov 10, 2013
    Awful game, do not buy this =(
    Nothing about real history of WW2, nothing about real soviet heroes. Read a historical documents before starting to write scenario of game next time, Relic!
  79. May 7, 2014
    This is one of the best games I've played. The battles are epic, I play online all the time. I've never played the campaign yet, but I've put almost 300 hours into online and it's so amazing! The only game I play as much as this is Dota, Civilization V, and StarCraft II.
  80. Nov 13, 2013
    I came here to balance out the low scores given out by the Russians. It's hilarious how they're fine with Germany being portrayed as total monsters but cry at the slightest implication that their "heroic ancestors" weren't angels sent from heaven to smite the Nazi devils.

Sieg Heil.
  81. Nov 15, 2013
    Ignore all the idiots who gave this 0 because they failed to understand it is A GAME AND NOT A DOCUMENTARY!

The game is awesome, 99% of the neg reviews are based on the story-line displaying soviets as bad. But here's the thing: this has no impact on game play! Most players will spend 99.9% of their time in the other game modes (online, skirmish etc) The game is beautiful, though

The game is beautiful, though quite demanding on your comp. there is a vast depth of tactical options and decisions to be made as the battle develops. every unit has a counter, every strategy has a weak point. the maps are incredibly detailed and well designed and reward you for good tactical planning and exploitation of their advantages. 'Cold' maps add a tactical depth in timing your attacks

CoH2 can be very challenging which i view as a huge plus for it (best to test your tactics vs computer before going to PvP though)
  82. Nov 19, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game after being a massive fan of the original. I spent hours on it playing multiplayer (mostly 2 v 2). The multiplayer in this most recent garbage is flat and nothing like the original. All the small things are just no where near as good. There is no depth in this game!
    I am just so badly disappointed after looking forward to this game.
    I even especially
    I am just so badly disappointed after looking forward to this game.
    I even especially made an account on Metacritic just to show my frustration! This game is HORRIBLE!
    every month new DLC commanders are released that are overpowered and completely change the entire game. THERE IS NO BALANCE.
    I want so badly to like this game but i just can't. I'm not sure how to portray anger properly over a review but just trust me that I'm angry!
  83. Nov 20, 2013
    Relic took one of the best RTS games that has ever been made and turned it into an elaborate, digital whack-a-mole that becomes tedious after the first few missions. I've never regretted buying a Relic game before which just makes this one all the more disappointing.
  84. Nov 28, 2013
    After reading many of the negative reviews about this game I have to write a counter to all of this historical accuracy bashing. I would say about 2/3 of all negative reviews involve the words "fascist propaganda" The game wasn't very good on its own merits but for god sakes stop defending the Soviet Union. Did you forget about the annexation of the Baltic states? Hundreds of thousandsAfter reading many of the negative reviews about this game I have to write a counter to all of this historical accuracy bashing. I would say about 2/3 of all negative reviews involve the words "fascist propaganda" The game wasn't very good on its own merits but for god sakes stop defending the Soviet Union. Did you forget about the annexation of the Baltic states? Hundreds of thousands murdered there. The nkvd? Mirdered thousands of soviet soldiers during the red purge. I'm sure Lithuania, Estonia, and Finland don't think you were very heroic. Oh and your brave soldiers raped and pillaged Hungary, Romania, Austria, and Germany on the way to victory. The best outcome would have been the nazis and soviets wiping each other off the face of the earth. Both terrible regimes.one last thing, you used mustard gas against the Chinese in 1934. You're welcome.

The gameplay was nothing new and gives huge bonuses to the AI.
  85. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Crap game !

Unbalanced, pay to win, lag... save your money and don't buy it
    Coh1 still the best even with cheater players and wallhack Coh2 is a joke !
    Poor Relic
  86. Zir
    Dec 9, 2013
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus
  87. Dec 15, 2013
    Dirty, Russophobe, anti-Soviet propaganda. This game is warped history (not just ours, but the whole the world). The script Company of Heroes 2 complete nonsense, lies, and the desecration of the memory of Soviet soldiers. Hitler and Himmler Thank you, whoever you are!
  88. Dec 27, 2013
    First off, I LOVE this game. The historical accuracy is spot-on and I applaud Relic for bringing some lesser-known tactics that were actually employed during WW2.

It's obvious some mad Russians created fake accounts to skew the user score average with hundreds of fake reviews (and I bought this game mainly to support the truth, not some crazy nationalist Russian's who want to re-write things). It's been well documented in German historical accounts that the Russians used some pretty barbaric tactics to fight the Germans how else could they fight a superior opponent? Germans killed Russians 10-1 and ran out of bullets on a number of occasions.... The Chinese used the same tactic in Korea, too; send people out to their deaths and run the enemy out of bulets!

There's a growing backlash against Russian devs such as Gaijin and Wargaming.net; they skew history to favor Russian planes and tanks and don't take in to account the real-world advantages. You can't rewrite history that's already been written....
  89. Jan 14, 2014
    I really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown someI really enjoyed the game in spite of the initial beta that was too different from his predecessor. The campaign could last a little 'more, even if the "theater of war" increases the total hours of play and really get many achievements. I do not agree with those who say that the story is bogus and should be censored, I think that a war is never good and right and history has shown some respects occurred. The protagonist and the Colonel are always Russian! Game mechanics improved over the first. Impeccable graphics and soundtracks, videos could be made better. I am very pleased for the game, shame about the many DLC for a fee. Expand
  90. Jan 16, 2014
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    Yes it is a little different from the first one, which was good but not complete tough.
    But with the addition of true sight, weather and some more stuff i really think besides the setting that this is an improvement to the first game. The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of
    This is despite what a lot of people say a very good game.
    The multiplayer part doesn't always work the way it should but its good enough for a lot of fun!
    This toghether with the high demands for your computer and the pre-release DLC is the only bad part of
    the game.
    And it's a game so stop whining about russian discrimination!
    I could easily play this game for another 7 years if there are enough opponents online.
    Buy it when u enjoy a good strategy game!
  91. Jan 21, 2014
    You would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skillsYou would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skills and skill tree that you could use; or even the new units, I must say they all look great. It's the fact that this game is more buggy than road kill thats been on the road for a week in the middle of July! The game never runs longer than 5 minutes without a spectacular cosmic death crash that once crashed it will force you to upload the update again, never mind that you uploaded the update 5 billion times before on the previous crashes; which BTW takes around 30-45 minutes while you sit and wait for it to complete while it completey wastes your time. The best that SEGA can offer is "reinstall the game", or "reinstall your video drivers again and again like some demented parrot that has nothing better to say, hope that if it repeats itself so many times that you will either give up or you will believe that finally this time it might just work. Save your money and go purchase another game that you will have more fun with, or go to the movies; hell pay someone to beat the crap out of you, you will have more fun than sitting and trying to get this game to limp along and function as a normal game should. You have been warned! Expand
  92. Feb 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Blitzkrieg was way way better. This is just a garbage game that was created by Nazi's. Horrid graphics and optimization. I was so excited for this game, only to have it turn out to be garbage. I'm glad I never bought it. Expand
  93. Feb 13, 2014
    I believe this game is very great!, Mind the reviews saying: "national socialist propaganda!"
    Also, why some facts WERE true during the war, ( most notable one is Order 227 during Stalingrad )
    Relic didn't fail, the high ranking ones failed, not the testers, creators , modelers and other employees. You act like wild dogs, really. - Overall the game is really great! but i am sure

You act like wild dogs, really.

Overall the game is really great! but i am sure that they issued sandbags during war and the germans too.

They used a bit awkard character models ( very noticeable ) but overall the game is HARD when putted on general.

recommended, and one last thing, i pity the hate user called "RelicRuined" pfft
  94. Feb 20, 2014
    I am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing II am a long time gamer, played most RTS games that have come out in the past 30 years. I am a big fan of the original COH, and still play to this day. I was anxiously awaiting COH2, expecting big things. I will admit, at first I didn't care for it. After playing it for a few more hours, it grew on me and I started to notice the difference between the original and part 2. The first thing I noticed was the pop. cap. Its always at 100 and never goes down or up, no matter how many points on the map are held. The points held on the map only increase the speed at which you get points for building, not the population cap. That means its possible to make a come back even if the enemy holds most of the points. The Russian army has a unique approach to winning, its no longer about who can build the most tanks. Skill and decision making about which points to take and when will win the game. With the pop. cap at 100, you cannot cover all the points at the same time. There is a steady ebb and flow to the game play if the teams are evenly matched. Being able to replenish your forces on the map in a timely manner is the key because both sides take heavy losses the entire game. The line of sight mechanic seems to work well and flanking works better when the enemy can't see you all the time. It also makes ambushes possible. The weather effects in the game are a welcome addition and it increases the need to watch your infantry and how close they are to cover when a blizzard is about to hit. The fires that can be built do not last that long and they cost man power, and cannot be built by the average infantry. Although the infantry can build sandbag walls and they are very important in this game, since there is a lack of true base defenses. The infantry and vehicles last longer in fire fights, thereby giving you time to asses the situation and send reinforcements, or retreat and regroup. After playing both the Russian and German sides, the difference between the two armies is very noticeable and therefore will require different strategies to win. The Germans do have a small defensive structure, an MG nest that can be built anywhere on the map. Also, their vehicles seem to be a bit better than the Russians in the aspect of firepower, but the Russians can ram with tanks and their AT guns are not bad once they level up. The anti-tank weapons that are carried by both sides are woefully inefficient on any vehicle. Although, the anit-infantry weapons they carry are great and do lots of damage to infantry. You really need to babysit infantry in order to use the specials, they are not used without the player input. When playing skirmish, the A.I. is unrelenting, even on the easiest level. It seems to take a lot longer to kill their units, while theirs kills yours at a normal pace. Picking your General's powers is different and takes some getting used to, but its essentially the same as the original. The camera angles are fine, not too different from the original. I am not a big fan of paying for DLC, something that should have been in the game from the start. Also, there are not nearly enough maps that were released with this game. I did not build my computer to run games, but its no slouch either. I have a decent rig with a crappy video card, that I am going to immediately upgrade, and I am able to run COH2 pretty smoothly as long as all the settings are on the minimum. I have a Geforce 315, yes I know its terrible. But it does run the game pretty well. Overall, if you want to like this game, don't try to compare it to the original. It takes a well known formula and just makes things a bit different. Is there room for improvement? Sure! Will it happen in patches, hopefully! Also, I am sick and tired of listening to people saying "boo-hoo, its terrible how they portray the nations in this game, boo-hoo". This is just a game people, its meant to be played as a game, not a history lesson. If you want a history lesson, go to school. Expand
  95. Feb 28, 2014
    Clearly the best example of RTS for all time. It is considerably exciting in terms of reality, sound effects and playability. However, the sense of willing to earn money from doctrines, skins and campaigns still remain controversial.
  96. Mar 1, 2014
    I love this game really much! Its been a lot of trouble on the way but I really love to see all the updates coming up all the time to fix it and even more that you are upgrading the game at the same time from the opinion we, the fans got about the game. What more can I say, you listen, fix it and deliver a wonderful experience.
  97. Feb 16, 2014
    I think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's wellI think Company of Heroes 2 is a great improvement over its first title. In all the time I spent playing (114h) I've never found even a single bug, crash, or any issues mentioned by other users, so I feel like this game is suffering a big boycott at this website from people who think they know very well what Stalin's policies were about during the 2nd World War. I think the game it's well developed historically speaking, taking into account that not only the Nazi faction committed atrocious crimes against humanity, and being clearly in favour of all the Russian soldiers who suffered the consequences of Stalin's war policies narrating them in the perspective of a soldier. While I don't think the storyline is anything great, it's definitely not biased.

The negative part of Company of Heroes 2 is that...: Would you like to have more commanders? Cash. Do you want more maps? Cash. Do you want more skins for your vehicles? Cash. Do you want anything we pretend to release since the first game's launch? Cash, cash, cash. I sincerely feel like I paid for the half part of a game which hasn't been finished and it's still under development.

In my opinion this is the best Real Time Strategy game at the moment. It's unique in its genre and it's clearly the one dominating in terms of quality. If you like fast paced real time strategy games, realism and the 2nd World War period, you should get it.
  98. Aug 14, 2013
    Amazing RTS as its finest.

Relic knows his way, they are the new 'Westwood' for me for a while since Blizzard started to stop innovating the genre after Warcraft III.

Rating it 9 because I was expecting a bit more more new stuff after vanilla CoH and CoH Online even though there is still some.
  99. Apr 13, 2014
    Please ignore the reviews below 7. This game has been attacked by Russians who can`t tell what is true about WWII in any case.

I just picked this game few days ago and man, it is so good! A wonderful RTS set in horrible days of World War II. In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made

In singleplayer campaign that takes about 12 hours, you get to play the Soviets (Russians).Everything here is realistic. Very bad Red Army made of amateurs, not able to command anything, with inferior commanders, coward soldiers and poor machinery. They even shot a lot of their own people for no reason. This is all recreated in the game, the player depends mostly on Soviet cannonfodder in the first missions with it getting a little better with poor T34 tanks for example.

There are some problems with the game.
    1. In sp you can`t play as the Germans.
    2. It needs a very strong pc to run good (but when you do the graphics are very nice).
    3. AI can be very stupid at times.

Nonetheless this game provides very realistic battles in a realistic enough setting so it is very satisfying, even when you play as Stalin lover.

Wonderful, beautiful game 10/10.
  100. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete wastePlayed this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand

1. Oct 7, 2013