Company of Heroes 2 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.0

1. Aug 22, 2013
    The multiplayer is fairly good. But get this: in some ways its actually inferior to the original COH! Weird that the game should be going backwards! The UI is worse and the frame-rate issues suggest this was not properly play-tested or optimized. I have THREE big issues with his game, leading to a low review score: (1) Day one DLC! The game is $60 for goodness sake! It is rude andThe multiplayer is fairly good. But get this: in some ways its actually inferior to the original COH! Weird that the game should be going backwards! The UI is worse and the frame-rate issues suggest this was not properly play-tested or optimized. I have THREE big issues with his game, leading to a low review score: (1) Day one DLC! The game is $60 for goodness sake! It is rude and ridiculous to add 'free to play' features for a game that already cast 5X the going price for the original (better) game. (2) The absence of meaningful improvement in the game. (3) The bloody ridiculous anti-Soviet propaganda of the campaign. I'm not vaguely Russian, nor am I a lover of Stalin, whom we all know was nearly as bad as Hitler. But I agree with the score-bombing hordes of outraged Russian fans about this game. The Russians had a tough fight on their hands. They lost a lot of men and they were up against Tiger tanks, and MG 42s. In the end they prevailed, not with human-wave attacks, but with courage, tenacity and tactical skills learned against a fierce opponent. Not only that, Soviet generals out-thought and out-planned the German high command. The Red Army beat their enemy fair and square on the battlefield. And they deserve respect for it. The campaign for this game takes a totally inappropriate and historically dubious set of ideas and expands them into the main theme of the game: the Soviets were monsters. I guess we all learn from our mistakes, but Relic definitely facked this one up! Maybe with all the extra money they rip-off with their DLC they could do a big patch and fix up this stupid campaign!

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long time writing reviews like an anus, think its time to set something straight. Stop insulting designers. Show some respect for the design process and getting games in circulation. Hence (1) No Red scores. (2) Game scores as follows: Bad Game 5/10. Poor Game 6/10. Mediocre Game: 7/10. Good Game 8/10. Great game 9/10. Stella Game 10/10. To get 10/10 it must be a game that can be (theoretically) play-able for 1000+ hours. Not only great but near endless fun. Games may be bad or poor but making them should earn respect. Thus even the worst POS will still be a 5/10. 0/10 no longer exists in my vocabulary. Yellow is the new red.
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    The game is definitely improving from the very poor launch. New multiplayer lobbies with annihilate is the most welcome addition. The in-game feedback popups also show that devs are trying to make the game better. There's still imbalance, most notably with the OKW from the new expansion, but the game is much better than it used to be
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is a good one, but it's far from being a great one. Mechanic didn't change much since the first CoH, but sometimes it's better to stick to the roots than to change everything over, and this game is the example of good-old mechanic which works. Graphics are nice, and online multiplayer is tough and action-packed. But the game is far from being great, what works well inThis game is a good one, but it's far from being a great one. Mechanic didn't change much since the first CoH, but sometimes it's better to stick to the roots than to change everything over, and this game is the example of good-old mechanic which works. Graphics are nice, and online multiplayer is tough and action-packed. But the game is far from being great, what works well in multiplayer, doesn't work in the campaign mode just as well. Next issue I've got with this game is its historical accuracy, and it's a big one, If you don't mind it, just buy a game, for a person who's not concerned with history this can be easily an 8-9 out of ten. For those who are however, it delivers story in a classic cold-war era fashion, with a horribly disgusting portrayal of soviets, some details of the story so focused on "anti-Russian" propaganda that they don't make any sense, like burning your own people alive, and soldier saying something like "We will fight to the death!" and another replies sarcastically "Like we have any choice", what choice is he talking about? Surrender to become Nazi slave? You've got your usual "bad red" package, firing squads, penal divisions, murder of POWs and so on. It is an ok game, but politics held it from becoming a great one, first CoH was absolutely politically neutral, but this one is the real blast from the past, with all cold-war stereotypes in place. Sad-sad-sad. Expand
  4. Jun 29, 2013
    Laughable AI (the way the enemy units rush you down like ant is a joke), The maps are too small, everything is way too fast. This is not a real strategy game, more like an arcade (I guess that is the reason for the good review, it does not really require much effort to play...).
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    In it's current state the game is not complete, lacks maps and game types, it leans heavily on the originals credentials "follow up to the highest rated RTS game of all time". There has been day 1 DLC releases and I see a very limited appeal to casual gamers and unfortunately the meta game is still being hammered out. So by all means come back to the game in 6 months time or better stillIn it's current state the game is not complete, lacks maps and game types, it leans heavily on the originals credentials "follow up to the highest rated RTS game of all time". There has been day 1 DLC releases and I see a very limited appeal to casual gamers and unfortunately the meta game is still being hammered out. So by all means come back to the game in 6 months time or better still wait for them to fix COH1 and play the highest rated RTS game of all time.

It's such a shame really, I feel let down by relic and so should Sega but ultimately it's a shadow of it's predecessor.
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    Disadvantages:
    - Nope maintain a list of servers. Auto-match looks random opponents, a random card and the same condition for the victory;
    - Monotonous commanders. Total on each side by 5 teams, the others have been added since the release of the shuffled capacity already available in the beta version, which does not introduce variety in the game; - In the campaign, a lot of anti-Soviet
    Disadvantages:
    - In the campaign, a lot of anti-Soviet propaganda. If developers do not like communism, why create a game about them? In the campaign, a lot of false, propaganda activities against the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany is shown with a humane side.
    - Treadmill multiplayer. In multiplayer, the lack of the set of equipment and weapons, and therefore the same battle quickly bored. For example, do not have as many defenses as in the first part
    - Lack of balance sides. The Soviet Union is weak and expensive heavy machinery, while the German infantry monotonous.
    - Bad Game optimization
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    Campaign is waaaayyy too easy even on highest setting you can't even lose, also the missions are too short. Theathre of war is also waay too easy and it lack co-op campaigns (only 4??) and a lobby system.

Multiplayer is full of units nobody ever uses (t-34, guards, IS-2, pak40 ETC.) also the multiplayer have the same sh*t network system as the other Relic games. Also dissapointed that again CoH releases with only 2 armies...

Would have gotten a 9/10 in 2006 but for 2013 very dissapointent, almost no improvement from the original.. not worth 60 euros.
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    I never have technical issues with games. My computer is middle of the road, NVIDIA GTX 560 Windows 7 64 bit etc. However, this game would not start for me initially. Resolution was reduced to 800x600 (or less) the screen update was choppy. Figured out it would not go into fullscreen mode. So the first 3 hours were frustrating to say the least. From what I have seen of game play it looksI never have technical issues with games. My computer is middle of the road, NVIDIA GTX 560 Windows 7 64 bit etc. However, this game would not start for me initially. Resolution was reduced to 800x600 (or less) the screen update was choppy. Figured out it would not go into fullscreen mode. So the first 3 hours were frustrating to say the least. From what I have seen of game play it looks ok. It is a shame that they released something that does not appear (from my perspective) to be quite ready. Expand
  9. Jun 25, 2013
    I never really tend to write reviews for games but this game is as good as any to write a review for. I played the Beta and had mixed feelings about this game but I still bought it hoping it would be the rebirth of the beloved first Company of Heroes. Alas this was a poor attempt at a reboot in my opinion. I guess if there is anyone to blame it would be Sega as Relic have produced a decentI never really tend to write reviews for games but this game is as good as any to write a review for. I played the Beta and had mixed feelings about this game but I still bought it hoping it would be the rebirth of the beloved first Company of Heroes. Alas this was a poor attempt at a reboot in my opinion. I guess if there is anyone to blame it would be Sega as Relic have produced a decent game but it has lost that original flare.

The matchmaking system has radically changed from the previous games. No long are you able to search for custom games and play annihilation like you used to. You are confined to either play with your friends in custom games, play against the AI which is sometimes laughable unless you crank the difficulty to max and even then AI Cheats come into play. Or you may enter a ranked system where new comers to the game and genre will find themselves fighting level 40's and 30's straight off the bat.

The DLC is obviously a quick cash making scheme. Standard Sega practice. If you cant be bothered to play the game and unlock things why don't you just chuck money at it to help you win.

With regards to the multiplayer and the AI. You may find yourself screaming at the screen, as the balance for two opposing forces is rather odd at times. Unit path finding is quite poor especially on tanks as you will find your tanks will never face the way you want. The game may have an added sense to realism but it has lost the COH fun factor.

The campaign is nothing special, certainly not worth the hefty price tag. Yes you can believe the fan boy/girl hype train reviews where they just shout GREAT GAME or the poor reviews where people solely moan about the price and DLC but truth is this game is mediocre at best.

To sum up:
    -Mediocre Campaign
    -Forced ranked matchmaking that constricts you to one gametype and is not very fun.
    -Stupid COD style ranking system.
    -Spam tanks to win style play
    -Not optimised to work well with older computers so you will find the game lags in multiplayer because someone else is lagging and ultimately you may lose the game because they can be booted.
  10. Jun 27, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game after playing the beta. However, the final release was a disappointment, to put it mildly.

This game is an all-out cash-grab with an unfinished (if compared to the quality of CoH 1) product. The campaign cutscenes feature incomlete voiceovers, and their quality is such that at one point I found my Russian commissar speaking with a German accent. The

The characters would better fit Warhammer 20000k universe. While CoH 1, in all the campaigns, focused on humanity first and foremost, CoH 2 has the "roofle I R in UR command chain, killing UR doods" commissar, whose orders are often so idiotic the apparent attempt at presenting him as ruthless absolutely fails. The main character (who happens to be Jewish, which made for enjoyable spectacle on the Steam boards), at least, receives some more love and attention.

From the game-play perspective itself, there is little new. The ability to capture enemy abandoned vehicles and breaking ice are about the only notable changes, and they are, really, just gimmicks. What -is- lacking is any kind of in-game information about actual combat effectiveness of your units. Wonder about firepower of your infantry squad, or armor rating of your assault gun? Keep wondering, there is only a "flavor" description for your consideration. Even such a simple thing as additional weaponry is not fully shown you have little icons representing the extra equipment, but, again, no statistical information on their effectiveness. In the extreme case, your Russian Guard units is carrying PTRS anti-tank rifles (by default). They can be upgraded with DPS light machine guns, as well. You are also able to pick up one support weapon from the battlefield.

However, the icon representing the weapon upgrades will only show one of them. Lost almost all your units in the squad? Keep wondering if you still have that shiny MG34 or not.

While this isn't as apparent during the main campaign (where it helps that you do get appropriate units to handle the stituation), the two factions are in desperate need of balancing for multiplayer. The resource distribution in ANY skirmish mode (be it against other players, or AI) means that controlling the fuel high points decides the outcome of the game. In fact, in the auto-match mode, it often makes sense to forego defending Victory Point flags until you can curbstomp the enemy with armor. While playing as Germans you do have a (very, very effective) anti-armor unit, Russians will usually lose the game if German side manages to get Ostwinds or PzKpfw IVs before SU-85s are on the field (or several T-34s).

AT guns feel lackluster even against German medium armor. They fare much better against T-34s, but that's merely because it's apparently a "light" medium tank that requires numbers to take on anything comparable on the German side. Effectively, SU-85 (which costs -more- than Panzer iV) is the only reliable Soviet anti-tank measure aside from commander doctrine abilities (which often are too expensive to use in mid-game when they CAN make a difference).

The doctrines themselves have been "streamlined" from CoH1 to a simple line progression each commander has specific abilities, and you cannot customize them. Some are definitely better than others (the Russian Armored Assault commander made a brief appearance before being eliminated from the game without a word), and as of now there is a limited number of unique command abilities in-game.

The multiplayer side of the game is... lacking. There are limited options for hosting specific games. The automatch features only a single game-mode, which, with competent teammates against ANY AI rating (yes, even Expert) is often too short to enjoy the heaviest toys... not to mention that it largely plays out the very same (as mentioned often in the reviews, the selection of maps to play on is really limited).

The Theater of War gives a few more distractions, but even with pre-order "bonus" it's still limited in content. As much of the game, it's clear to have received a loving "DLC" treatment.

One notable inclusion is the "deck" abilities that you unlock by completing certain "objectives" in-game (kill a particular number of sometimes specific units, build so many of this, or just attain particular rank). However, since you are limited to three "deck" slots, and some abilities (or combinations thereof) are clearly superior to others, I'd wager on a quick settling on particular patterns among the players.

It also seems German Pioneers do not deserve any "deck" ability whatsoever ;)

I won't go into actual performance issues (no multi-GPU support, for starters), since I'm running out of space.

Basically, an unfinished game with arguably developed single-player campaign and DLC-focused remainder of it. Definitely not worth the asking price, but not a bad game in itself, either.

I doubt for modding support, either if only based on what happened with Total War titles so don't expect fan-made fixes.
  11. Jun 25, 2013
    To sum it all up, it's a great sequel. It amazed me how critical some of the reviews of this game were. Still, this is an honest 9 to honor a solid production.

Company of Heroes, the original, is still hailed as one of the best RTS's of all time. CoH 2 uses an enhanced version of it's engine, that adds some really nice gameplay features. At the same time, it maintains the original feel of that CoH 1 had. The grudging pushes to extend your frontline, the explosive sound, the chaotic dialogues, the tactical squad based combat... yep it's all still here.

I see a lot of players complaining about performance of this game, when compared to other shiny titles. Honestly, this is not your every day shiny title. The map is fully 3D and can be rotated to any angle. Almost all pixels, from the ones that make up dirt and pavement, to the ones that make up monstrous buildings, are dynamic, and can be destroyed or altered. The physics and combat feel realer than any strategy title before this. Even the original CoH took flak for being unable to run on high settings on most machines. Being a supercharged version of the same engine what did you expect?

The theatre of war is a great addition, and adds a nice way to take a break from competitive multiplayer. Small army perks can be gained through levels and combat, which adds incentive to play, while being small enough to not break the balance (which is well done now that the beta is over).

The new commander system is less taxing on your actions during gameplay. Fog of war, & vaulting are both improvements. The maps are beautiful and are incredibly interactive. Not to mention, campaign progress is stored on the cloud now!

I'm impressed. A job well done. Good rescue Sega.
  12. Nov 28, 2013
    After reading many of the negative reviews about this game I have to write a counter to all of this historical accuracy bashing. I would say about 2/3 of all negative reviews involve the words "fascist propaganda" The game wasn't very good on its own merits but for god sakes stop defending the Soviet Union. Did you forget about the annexation of the Baltic states? Hundreds of thousandsAfter reading many of the negative reviews about this game I have to write a counter to all of this historical accuracy bashing. I would say about 2/3 of all negative reviews involve the words "fascist propaganda" The game wasn't very good on its own merits but for god sakes stop defending the Soviet Union. Did you forget about the annexation of the Baltic states? Hundreds of thousands murdered there. The nkvd? Mirdered thousands of soviet soldiers during the red purge. I'm sure Lithuania, Estonia, and Finland don't think you were very heroic. Oh and your brave soldiers raped and pillaged Hungary, Romania, Austria, and Germany on the way to victory. The best outcome would have been the nazis and soviets wiping each other off the face of the earth. Both terrible regimes.one last thing, you used mustard gas against the Chinese in 1934. You're welcome.

The gameplay was nothing new and gives huge bonuses to the AI.
  13. Aug 26, 2013
    Not as good as CoH 1, but still a good game. Yes, it is disappointing considering that this is CoH 2 we're talking about but it's a good RTS.
    A lot of people are rating it 0 because of the campaign showing the russian war crimes or something... the thing is, you should keep in mind that everybody knows what the Nazis did horrible horrible things. But if you have any idea about history you should know that the Udssr and stalin weren't much better.
  14. Sep 14, 2013
    ZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian frontZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian front playable game, the snow I thought would be corny, but I really like it. Its kind of like COH in respect to gameplay the Russian infantry is about as strong as US infantry and tanks and cars do pretty much the same thing. I like the commanders but there is not a forked tech tree you pick a commander and you go linear down their tech. This game isn't a step forward its a good game, but it doesn't move the ball down the field at all, Expand
  15. Oct 18, 2013
    I see that everyone rates this as a 1, I think that is a bit harsh the game is OK.

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think. Graphics: The graphics are better then company of heroes 1 if you are able to run it at maximum graphics without any sort of lag spikes or anything, it is not a huge improvement but it is still eye candy in my eyes. 7/10 UI: The UI is

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think.

Graphics:

UI:

The UI is pretty much as it used to be, but in my opinion how they have done the commander thing is ruining the game because it lacks content which the commanders have but you may only choose some of the content that should have all been added to the game.

For example in a german doctrine you can call in assault grenadiers, why cant grenadiers upgrade themselves to mp40 like in coh 1 for 50-75 munition? or why cant you just make ostruppen from the barracks instead of calling it in?

You see, they have added alot of content they just split the rest of the 30% into commanders, so it feels like you are playing with the same set of units every game.

Gameplay:

Gameplaywise we have the blizzard and snow, which I personally like I know other people simply hate it but thats their opinion. I feel like i have to adapt to the climate and the game more and I like it +1 for relic, you can build up a formation which you can use to several tactical desicions.

Or else the gameplay has been ripped like it used to be in CoH 1, it lacks alot of content which you should be able to build like sandbags, tank traps e.t.c, I was hoping relic would make even more content in Coh 2 because we all enjoyed it it made each match a bit more different each time and we could adapt more tactics.

The buildings dont look good at all, with effort I could make it even better using Maya.

There is more I could write but its just to much, but in short its not really a huge improvement and well because of this it gets a low score because in the long run it ruins the enjoyment of the game.

Music and Sounds:

I had to download a voice pack so the German would speak their native language and the Soviets theirs to make it more awesome, I never was a fan of english german and english russian it reminds me of Men of War and it is just horrible. Relic did not add the option to change this ingame so the community yet again have to make updated voice packs, even though it has been requested alot.

The music is alright I guess, I liked vcohs music alot more it was more epic and each faction had a fitting music to them. This is not the case in this game.

The sounds are decent, though there are many gun sounds I would have changed.

Summary:

* Blizzard (my opinion)

It's hard to mention anything else here as everything else is pretty much the same from vcoh or has been removed.

* Commanders/DLC * Poorly designed Buildings * Content and Features ingame * Bad/un-intresting story I just want to mention I do not play the singleplayer at all as it was not intresting for me to continue. Last thing.. If you enjoyed vcoh you may or may not find joy in this one, I still find joy in the multiplayer and I play it everyday though if you havent bought this game I can not recommend you to buy this one as there are stuff you will miss from vcoh. And at the moment Relic is doing this micro transaction thing of theirs which hurts the game. I also forgot to mention the balance of the two sides we have in the game, the germans do still have way more advantage than the soviets, Relic is currently fixing this by nerfing everything. Instead of nerfing, add more units and content.. If the soviets cant kill panthers dont nerf panthers add a new vehicle which is at the same price as a panther is to counter a panther.. Dont nerf panthers or tigers.. This is also hurting the game in my opinion.. they are doing this for pretty much any unit/vehicle in the game As of now what would save this game is a new boss or supervisor with new ideas who could lead this Relic towards a good game. Remove DLC and refund people who have bought dlcs and add the content into the game. ADD MORE CONTENT FOR GODS SAKE. Dont mind the typos I know they are everywhere I just dont care..
  16. Nov 9, 2013
    After reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get onAfter reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get on there, I have designed games before it is harder than people take credit for and people think it is easy, its not. Second, people are moaning about the anti-soviet theme in this game. The things you see, anti soviet wise, did happen, the soviet commanders were brutal and hateful, and in many cases they made themselves worse than the Nazis, history shows this but most people don't seem to read anymore. The soviets wanted to exterminate the Germans and anything that Germany touched they wanted to destroy it. Now I don't condone what Hitler did, but seriously quit whining, I remember when gaming used to be about playing games instead of whining about this and that, its one reason I am not as big of a gamer as I used to be. Now COH1 was great, and this one pretty much feels like there is nothing new, so I can see the negative reviews on that part. Graphics I don't really care about anymore as it is stupid that we beg for more and more graphics that cause us to spend more and more on games nowadays. Story wise, it was alright. Overall, to me this is an average game, nothing really fancy or new about it but oh well, creating games is so much harder nowadays and with deadlines set by the company owners just makes it even harder. For those of you whining and complaining.....just stop, ok I am tired of the whining as I am sure so many others are too. Gamers are just not what they used to be. Expand
  17. Dec 4, 2014
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Still not well balance. Many issues with both factions, however seem more towards Allies. E.g. Recrew exploit of tanks for US? -Stupid ranking system that fails to provide any real satisfaction to progression. -Terrible reward system (Supply Drop) that again fails to provide any sense of progression and keeps giving multiple duplicates of the same item.
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Questionable updates such as random locations which really limit faction A or B depending on starting location as most maps bias one or the other. An example would be Faceoff at Rostov; Allies could get more boots on the ground and get off the small peice of land onto the large, where as Axis can't and will often end up stuck at the start location with not even a single chance to offer resistance.
    -Some maps seem to heavily biased towards Allies, even more so with the aforementioned update.
    -Horrible matchmaking system that assumes if you're in a party with some friends that you must immediately be pros and pairs you against such (well, it seems that way). Matchmaking definitely needs work. Often get paired with people way outside my skill level.
    -Game still crashes once in a while or desync errors.

Probably many more issues and annoyance I could list, but you get the picture. Whilst I have given the multiplayer a fair go, I do not see any sign of it improving. It seems that Relic is more fixated on milking DLC sales than anything else (this can be seen with the Ardennes DLC giving certain Supply Drops advantages to people who have bought it. I.e Rifleman and Rear Echelon train and replenish 10% faster - this gives already quick US even more of an advantage). With no true progression sytem, dodgy reward system, unfair matchmaking and just other general frustrations, I find it harder and harder to come back to this game. It's a shame really, as I have had some very fierce and close matches that get the adrenaline pumping and I really thoroughly enjoyed the first Company of Heroes, but this game lacks direction and seems a bit of a mess. If you're thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing this game, wait another year or so and pick it up cheap on sale. At least if it isn't twice the game as it is now, you won't feel as robbed.
  18. Dec 12, 2014
    A very good game, brought down by overpriced DLC fest. It looks very nice, it's cinematic, it's sound assets are very high quality, overall, when compared to vanilla CoH it's better. However, it pales in comparison to modded first game, mods like Blitzkrieg or Europe at War absolutely obliterate it.

Regardless, it is fun to play and if it would've taken the route of first CoH, that is one serious expansion pack, it would've been much better value.
  19. Jan 16, 2014
    I didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke areI didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke are well made. The optimization isn't great but it's not awful (it's certainly better than the original CoH) I have an average PC (1000 €) and it ran ok. This game has a lot of content to play, versus multiplayer and co-op. You might want to buy this when it's on sale if you're interested in an arcadey world war 2 RTS. Expand
  20. Jan 17, 2014
    After so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm isAfter so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm is interesting at first, but the concept gets old and repetitive rather quickly. In many ways the Russians seem like a reskinned USA from the first game. Many units and buildings look underwhelming with the models used in the first game looking much better in comparison. What is even more disappointing is that the game's
    optimization is horrendous. This game looks very similar to the original Company of Heroes and performs terribly. I struggle to get a constant 40fps on low settings on my laptop, and this same laptop gets 60+ fps in the original Company of Heroes with maxed out detail and 50+ fps on high settings in Starcraft 2.

There are some good points of this game though. The Theatre of War game mode is quite interesting as there are multiple challenging missions to complete either solo or with a friend but it does seem a bit of a stretch that you have to pay to play the additional challenges. The integration of Steam Workshop is also quite cool. Your troops can also jump over sandbags now, but honestly is that really game changing?

At the end of the day, Company of Heroes 2 is difficult to recommend. The game is hardly any different than the original Company of Heroes, costs much more and performs terribly. Company of Heroes 2 also lacks clan support and the like, a mechanic that RTS games such as Starcraft 2 implement very well. If you want a great RTS experience I would suggest you pick up Starcraft 2 and its expansion or even the original Company of Heroes for a fraction of the price.
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    d said Relic can do better than this. Overall game system is good but multiplayer is disaster. Lobby in COH1 provide a very great opportunity to find equal opponents. However, it not happen in COH2 where u only has automate player finder system, it suck!!. PS. It will be great than this if Relic team comes to fix the bug in COH1 rather than left it behind.
  22. Nov 24, 2013
    whilst I'm not a massive fan of this game I don't think people can really justify giving it a 0 or a 1. I can understand people are offended by the innaccuracies in the story line though so i get why people are pissed

I think CoH1 is better hands down, this game hasn't changed enough for it to be considered a next generation of the game but also hasn't stayed true enough to the last game to warrant it sticking to a working theory.

I've never been big on the Company Of Heroes games but have bought them to support Relic enough to make Dawn of War 3
  23. Dec 3, 2013
    Let me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, youLet me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, you cannot win with Infantry and light armor support like in the original CoH.
    Pro:
    -The gameplay is definitely different, I like that aspect since it required me to learn new tactics.
    -I enjoy the ability to customize your army on both sides and make "loadouts"
    Con:
    -I have found that it is nearly impossible to win as Soviets in PvP
    -I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of Multiplayer options. 500 pt. Victory condition ONLY WTF!!)
    -Day 1 DLC is highway robbery, I dropped $60 so that I could play an improved experience
    -Relic offices have been overrun with developers out of high school and their finance department with e*Trade babies.
    -Lag is horrendous.
    -Replay ability is like a one night stand and you want to keep it that way

Overall Satisfaction I gave it a 5 out of 10 because it is definitely new and interesting. It misses the other half for literally requiring you spend another $40 for more commanders, maps, war theaters etc... IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN AS SOVIETS... unless you are facing some really drunk German Players. Maybe the key to winning as a soviet is to play drunk, and it is likely the developers were intoxicated during 50% of the games development. Overall I give it a thumbs down. I have never had such bad luck playing a faction. The Campaign was just decent... nothing special. I have lost faith in Relic honestly, after this I fear for their financial well-being after this embarrassment.
  24. Oct 8, 2014
    Although i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is rightAlthough i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is right in front of you kill him!

Overall however I really like this game but feel it has a lot of its own faults too. Great graphics, interesting game play. I would recommend to all if on a sale but would not and did not pay £29.99 for it.
  25. Apr 25, 2015
    I was disappointed at what I pre-ordered. Some improvement over first, such as Scaling fences and Cap circles,but to contrast this game from the first, it has an inferior campaign, is rarely Balanced, and the DLC's are trash. OKW still horribly OP after 6 months, Americans still horrible after 6 months, and the game is still un balanced after what, a year? It feels unfinished. The campaignI was disappointed at what I pre-ordered. Some improvement over first, such as Scaling fences and Cap circles,but to contrast this game from the first, it has an inferior campaign, is rarely Balanced, and the DLC's are trash. OKW still horribly OP after 6 months, Americans still horrible after 6 months, and the game is still un balanced after what, a year? It feels unfinished. The campaign humiliates and throws mud on the Red Army, high lighting the "atrocities" committed by them. Lol, I like the part where they burned woman and children in houses with flamethrowers, because that's historically accurate. I liked when they executed allied partisans, because that happened. But it didn't, and I'm left wondering why they strayed so far off the original game. Expand
  26. Sep 11, 2013
    Multiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certainMultiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certain units. Most of these bulletins are absolutely useless, everybody good is using the same 10 which is really stale and pointless. But aside from that, the core gameplay is pretty good.

Campaign: This is why the game has a 1.6 user score. Though the missions are pretty fun to play, the plot is just terrible. It should be called Company of War Criminals, because rather than focus on the heroism of the soldiers (there are some instances but few and far between) the whole purpose of the story is to demonize the Soviets. I know the Soviets did some bad things, but even the Russians wouldn't go burning down farm houses with their own citizens inside still inside to "deny the enemy". This franchise is not about war crimes, but if they were going to go that direction they should have showed both sides of the coin. A Russian commentator made a video exposing the campaign for the piece of crap it is, and after it went viral the user score plummeted in hours.

Theater of War: Missions you can play cooperatively or singleplayer. I was skeptical at first but they are quite fun, they are like a full campaign minus the propaganda.

Patches: They are actively patching the game and have really been listening to feedback.

Audio: Great, as usual for Relic games.

Grahpics: The textures haven't improved that much since the original, but they did add a ton of detail to the particle effects.

DLC: $100 worth of DLC just 2 months after release, with much more to come. And I thought EA/Activision were pirates.... #dafuqwereyouthinking

If I were to take in to account the horrid campaign, CoH2 would get a 4/10. But since multiplayer is what makes or breaks this game, I give it a 7/10. Two steps forward and three steps backward from the original, but luckily CoH1 was the highest rated RTS of all time so we are left with a "decent" game.
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    I didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improveI didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improve the AI pathing/cover system which was lacking in the previous game. The best part of the game is still the combat but many maps and missions felt uninspired and relied on the old formulas that worked in the original and still work here but it would have been nice to see something new beyond snow missions where you sneak around.

The campaign is really bland, a lot of really repetitive missions mixed in with a few interesting ones. The Soviet units are just so bland to use, its like they tried to do something unique with them but then it really didn't work as they expected and it really shows. They feel really weak unless you get a lot of units and do a lot of flanking, then you can take out entire armies with like 3-4 squads which is just as unrealistic as firing on an enemy for 5 min and not having a single shot hit.

The story is absolutely terrible, it plays like the worst cliche of the Soviet era. You feel almost no attachment to the main character and honestly i lost interest in him about half way through leading me to skip cutscenes unrelated to gameplay. They demonize Russians like crazy in this game, as a history graduate from the west, there were some serious inaccuracies in this game related to the treatment of soldiers by the Soviet Union.

Day 1 DLC is another blemish on this game since its not cosmetic crap that you'd expect but rather commanders that play a huge role in multiplayer games, effectively giving players who pay an advantage over those who do not. DLC is a part of todays market but this is another obvious cash grab by the publisher/developer.

Overall, the game is OK. Not worth the day 1 price and honestly it needs more patching to fix the many bugs and net issues. Wait until this one is down to $30 or less before considering it, you'll blow through the campaign in a day or 2, match play online is about as good as it gets for this game.
  28. Sep 6, 2013
    This is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I wasThis is an enjoyable game, don't let the minority of haters who rage on this site fool you. If your looking for an intense and strategic WW2 RTS then this is the game for you. The campaign is enjoyable and has an interesting story line. The multi-player is fun too, but still needs alot more development, before it reaches the bar set by the Excellent first company of Heroes series. I was However, disappointed to see no public Annihilation game mode, no in game player stats and no custom game public lobby system in the multiplayer; like the first COH. I hope this issue will be addressed soon, as it was one of the aspects of Coh1 online which made it great. Although there is still alot of potential on the developers behalf in regards to more units, maps and game modes etc, don't forget that this is a new release and needs to time to develop and balance. RTS balancing is a delicate issue. I look forward to seeing it reach it's great multiplayer potential in the not so distant future. 7/10 so far. Expand
  29. Dec 10, 2014
    I wanted to wait at least until I had finished the campaign to do this review because I had only played the multiplayer. I will not spoil anything about the story itself, but will go into some of the historical portrayals in this game.
    To be honest, I did not like the campaign itself. I actually have to somewhat agree with BadComedian and say that this game was far too negative of the Soviet Red Army. There were many moments where I said to myself "that never happened". I have studied WWII immensely and have spent years reading about it. Order 227 shows up through most of the campaign despite the fact that Order 227 was repealed several months into the Battle of Stalingrad. The Soviets never set fire to their own houses with civilians still inside. And some of the bloodthirsty dialogue for the Soviet laughter was just laughable because the Soviets were never that cheap with their soldiers and equipment. Their needles bloodthirsty portrayal of the Soviets was just plain ridiculous and laughable at times. The game barely mentions any of the numerous German war crimes in this game. They did a great disservice to those who were murdered and raped by the invading German army by constantly showing the Soviets as those who constantly wasted the lives of their own people which simply was not true. The Soviets did commit a lot of war crimes themselves especially when they invaded Germany, but to be portrayed as cheap egotistical tyrants is extremely unfair as many generals and officers treated their men with dignity and tried to save as many of them as possible.
    Also, I had gripes about not being able to fight in the Battle of the Kursk which was the largest tank battle in history. You got to fight somewhat in Leningrad, in Stalingrad, and Berlin but you never get to fight at Kursk which bummed me out. Also the level designs just felt all the same to me.
    I loved the first Company of Heroes and the gameplay that was passed on to this game was the only reason this game was enjoyable. The sniper is no longer a ridiculously overpowered unit, but they gave that role to flamethrower units especially the German halftrack that can literally annihilate infantry units in a few seconds. Soviet infantry units are extremely weak, but their advanced vehicle units make up for that.
    The sound editing and music were astounding though as they gave you the feeling of being on the actual battlefield while adding epicness to it.
    Despite this game's flaws it is a good entry to Company of Heroes, but Relic needs to stop trying to be controversial and actually make a game that displays the soldiers they are portraying as heroes or do not make the game. It is Company of Heroes for a reason. There were times during the first game where I also noticed some demonizing of Allied troops while adding sympathy to the Germans. I am not saying stuff like this didn't occur, but you are trying to show heroes here not war criminals.
  30. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Adds in more realism and gameplay elements at the sacrifice of the aspects that made the first game the strategy juggernaut that it was.

Graphics: The graphics update is appreciated, and looks great from a distance certainly, but don't expect the same level of quality up close.

Sound: Sounds are clearly one of the game's highlights, with realistic explosions and feedback chatter spinning around at all times- realistically disorienting the player as well sometimes.

Playability: Once you figure out the controls, it's a blast to play. Key words: once you figure out the controls.

Entertainment: The game is a good one, albeit an extremely flawed one, and one that could have really been something great given a little bit more time.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 7.5
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    Company of Heroes to kontynuacja jednej z najlepszych strategii, kontynuacja najlepszej strategii 2-wojennej, szkoda że dwójka nie radzi sobie już tak dobrze jak jedynka, ale dalej jakoś trzyma poziom. Twórcy postawili na dość ciekawą fabułę, przedstawienie wojny z innego punktu widzenia, do tego w strategii było zaskakujące. Do tego klimat 2-wojenny, elementy w zimie, czy ogólne inne noweCompany of Heroes to kontynuacja jednej z najlepszych strategii, kontynuacja najlepszej strategii 2-wojennej, szkoda że dwójka nie radzi sobie już tak dobrze jak jedynka, ale dalej jakoś trzyma poziom. Twórcy postawili na dość ciekawą fabułę, przedstawienie wojny z innego punktu widzenia, do tego w strategii było zaskakujące. Do tego klimat 2-wojenny, elementy w zimie, czy ogólne inne nowe elementy wychodzą dobrze. W grę gra się dobrze, do tego dawno nie widzieliśmy tak dobrej strategii 2-wojennej. Problem polega jednak na tym że bardziej opłaca się grać w jedynkę. Twórcy mało poprawili. Nie dosyć że grafika wygląda średnio to gra jest zbugowana, niedopracowana, często boty uprzykrzają nam życie swoją głupotą a sama gra po dłuższym czasie staje się monotonna i trochę za trudna. Prawdziwi fani CoH chyba powinni po prostu zostać przy jedynce. Moja ocena 7/10 Expand
  32. Oct 22, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is overall a good game that is fun to play. The game however has a campaign only memorable for the wrong reasons, mostly by being incredibly offensive to the country you are representing, a main protagonist that just annoys the player, and almost no historical resemblance in the main campaign. This however makes the game terrible. It's a great game to play for it'sCompany of Heroes 2 is overall a good game that is fun to play. The game however has a campaign only memorable for the wrong reasons, mostly by being incredibly offensive to the country you are representing, a main protagonist that just annoys the player, and almost no historical resemblance in the main campaign. This however makes the game terrible. It's a great game to play for it's solid game mechanics, which do require acule use of tactics, to a degree. Overall I'd say it is a great game, but unless you need the achievements skip the main story. Expand
  33. Oct 25, 2013
    While the game is not bad, it does not live up to the brilliant predecessor. The graphics are good, but not any better than those of the first game. The sound effects are impressive, the voice over on the other hand is not. The characters and troops speak with a Russian dialect which sounds frankly speaking quite ridiculous. The story is rather unspectacular and not worth mentioning. TheWhile the game is not bad, it does not live up to the brilliant predecessor. The graphics are good, but not any better than those of the first game. The sound effects are impressive, the voice over on the other hand is not. The characters and troops speak with a Russian dialect which sounds frankly speaking quite ridiculous. The story is rather unspectacular and not worth mentioning. The gameplay is still pretty good since it has not changed much since the first game and it makes a lot fun navigating the maps with a small group of soldiers, capture control points and obliterate the enemy. To conclude, the game is good, but not what you would expect of a successor to one of the best RTS games in history. Expand
  34. Jun 29, 2013
    In the historical part of the game too many inaccuracies, which spoils the impression to the end of the game. Russian monsters in the game are shown, not the characters that did not fit deystivitelno. Authors of the game should open a textbook on the history of American propaganda is not crap. Shame relics. Also not very balanced multiplayer component. I do not think that the relics couldIn the historical part of the game too many inaccuracies, which spoils the impression to the end of the game. Russian monsters in the game are shown, not the characters that did not fit deystivitelno. Authors of the game should open a textbook on the history of American propaganda is not crap. Shame relics. Also not very balanced multiplayer component. I do not think that the relics could do a similar game of the Americans or the British, whose role was secondary to the Russian. Expand
  35. Aug 18, 2013
    I'm Russian and I hate the plot, but game play is very good. I suppose, 95% of haters from Russia don't play at this game, they just... i don't know how it can be described...
  36. Jul 27, 2013
    A lot has been said already about the portrayal of the red army in this game. I am a Russian native and i don't really have a huge amount of historical knowledge on the subject. However whatever knowledge i do have suggests that a lot of the scary stuff in the single player campaign is completely crazy. Burning civilians alive, machine gunning retreating soldiers (order 227 did exist inA lot has been said already about the portrayal of the red army in this game. I am a Russian native and i don't really have a huge amount of historical knowledge on the subject. However whatever knowledge i do have suggests that a lot of the scary stuff in the single player campaign is completely crazy. Burning civilians alive, machine gunning retreating soldiers (order 227 did exist in reality however only deserters caught deep behind the frontline were really executed by firing squads). In reality saving the life of a valuable officer would probably get you promoted and not executed on the spot. So yeah, the single player is basically a huge load of ****

Having said that it a shame actually how good the multiplayer is in this game is. In its current state it is not as good as the predecessor in my opinion, however i think it will be on par once more balance fixes are introduced.

New gameplay mechanics, especially the true sight system, brings additional tactical dimensions to already good competitive multiplayer. In fact the only thing i can complain about is the new approach to commanders. I feel they completely lack any kind of unique identity compared to the prequel. Another thing that i don't like is the overall responsiveness of the game. UI in its current state feels clunky and you often have to fight with it to get necessary information.

Technically the game is a sight to behold, but sometimes performance grinds to a halt on otherwise my pretty good hardware.

All in all this is a good multiplayer game and it will get better once more balance and (hopefully) UI issues are resolved. The absolutely abhorrent single player campaign is the only thing stopping me from giving it a solid 9.
  37. Jul 21, 2013
    after completing the campaign i had to change my score from 10 to 6 because of how much i was offended by the content of the campaign, this game is completely disrepectful to the russian people and their sacrifices on world war 2, it makes germans looks like saints (forgetting to mention completely atrocities like holocaust and concentration camps) and russians like absolute monsters,theafter completing the campaign i had to change my score from 10 to 6 because of how much i was offended by the content of the campaign, this game is completely disrepectful to the russian people and their sacrifices on world war 2, it makes germans looks like saints (forgetting to mention completely atrocities like holocaust and concentration camps) and russians like absolute monsters,the character development is completely unexistant,their actions lack of motivation but at least you can skip cinematics which i suggest for more players to do,the story is really terrible, and the protagonist completely unlikable, this not the truth people,this is antirussian cold war propaganda at a new level,it makes enemy at the gates look like a prosoviet film, the best thing that relic could do was to skip cinematics completely and just give us more missions, if you can skip all that you get a really good game and it's sad that is ruined Expand
  38. Jun 25, 2013
    WW2 is outdated for CoH. And nothing new. Like an expansion pack. :P Don't waste your money and time for this. I am still waiting for new "Modern" Company of Heroes.
  39. Jul 2, 2013
    I was never a big fan of the series, but having played the first sequel of the game, I had great expectations towards this title! A day later I was disappointed...
    At first, I thought I will have no problem with the system requirements, but then some minutes later after the game start, I was stunned how bad this game runs. I even thought that because of SEGA it must be some low quality console-port like GTA IV was, but no it's just badly optimized. The game does not just lags, but the textures float and blink, even after patching and refreshing drivers. On every map and even in the graphics quality test. So thanks for the new effects, but this fact would make most game unplayable, but I decided to give it a try despite this.
    The story? Well, for me it looks like someone is trying to copy Call of Duty? So CoH was a great historic WW2 game, but they turned CoH2 a sensationalist unfinished "something". Yes, we all know that many aspects of the game is true, but those that are not make it untrustworthy.
    The game itself? Improved. A little. Though there's still only one campaign, with lots of monotony.
    As an RTS, it's just average, nobody is going to swap SC2 for this. As a WW2 RTS, it's worth a try the enthusiast might even like it, but for the average it's not recommended.
  40. Aug 6, 2013
    Well I guess it boils down to this. How close to the quick do you want to cut in your depiction of war? The Russians may want to be shown as the Allies, which they were without question, but they did order and authorise firing on their own troops, so you can't have it all ways. Historical accuracy isn't going to paint the prettiest picture.

Plus, if the stories coming out of Russia just

Plus, if the stories coming out of Russia just now are to be believed... What they are doing to their own people right now for what sexuality they are is pretty damn grim and does not in any way "represent the best of human qualities like bravery, cunning, self-sacrificial courage and honesty". That's another story though.
  41. Aug 6, 2013
    CoH1 was probably superior. UI is tiny with lots of crap covering the screen, making a mess of readability. The AI obviously got no attention from coders and is unduly difficult due to its ability to attack on all fronts simultaneously. I can do 2 battles at once, but not 7. The game comes off clunky and there is, of course, a store built into the game to buy upgrades. So you can getCoH1 was probably superior. UI is tiny with lots of crap covering the screen, making a mess of readability. The AI obviously got no attention from coders and is unduly difficult due to its ability to attack on all fronts simultaneously. I can do 2 battles at once, but not 7. The game comes off clunky and there is, of course, a store built into the game to buy upgrades. So you can get small increases for your "character" (commander) by giving them money. Great balance... Expand
  42. May 31, 2014
    Good things: solid competetive multiplayer, only decent RTS out there that's not Starcraft, pretty immersive
    Bad things: terrible astonishingly bad matchmaking, constant balance problems, game unstability leading to freezes and crashes, very greedy DLC policy
    I only play it because there isn't any good RTS out there. It's a big shame THQ had to sell Relic to Sega, because the latter one is a bunch of greedy morons who only care about money and it shows in CoH 2.
  43. Jan 4, 2014
    I really don't know how can someone play this laggy game. How can I play Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider (2013) and Far Cry 3 on high video settings and this games forces me to play on minimal (really crap graphics) with less than 30 fps? Impossible to play like this! Relics don't give a "sheet" for their broken game.
  44. Sep 19, 2013
    This game does not improve on anything really, in fact, it makes it worse. But it is still a mediocre strategy game, albeit horribly racist. Thanks for your time!
  45. Oct 12, 2013
    Quel déception par rapport au premier opus.
    Il reste un bon jeu de stratégie, mais son mode solo offre une espérance de vie bien trop courte.
    Là ou son ainé offrait une immersion et de la diversité, Company of heros 2 ne fait que copier avec maladresse...
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    I'm happy that I waited for a sale to purchase this game. However, I wish I waited a little longer. In my experience video games seldom exceed the expectations of the consumer yet COH2 doesn't even come close. I gave this game a 5 because it isn't great nor is it horrible its just plain average. I really wanted to like this game but had a very hard time finding and keeping interest.I'm happy that I waited for a sale to purchase this game. However, I wish I waited a little longer. In my experience video games seldom exceed the expectations of the consumer yet COH2 doesn't even come close. I gave this game a 5 because it isn't great nor is it horrible its just plain average. I really wanted to like this game but had a very hard time finding and keeping interest.

Personally, when I purchase a sequel to a amazing game, I'm expecting to be blown away. Unfortunately, that was not the case with this game and after a weekend of trying I finally gave up. The following are some of the major issues I saw:
    1) Game has little in the way of innovation (unless you like micro transactions)
    2) Graphics are mediocre and show little improvement from the original
    3) Campaign is terrible (The writer, producer and most of the development team should be unemployed right now)!!!

In conclusion, Relic basically gave us all the bird on this one! I am not only disappointed, I'm insulted. This will be my last purchase from this company!
  47. Apr 20, 2014
    This game is disliked to oblivion for its campaign but it's not really that bad.

The campaign is solid, nothing special, but had some epic moments and was a good starting point before I head out to the multiplayer. The multiplayer is why this game is so good, you have intense 1v1 fights and epic team fights, you have a lot of strategies and units, just two factions but both have a lot

The multiplayer is why this game is so good, you have intense 1v1 fights and epic team fights, you have a lot of strategies and units, just two factions but both have a lot of content.
    They keep adding new commanders and maps which is good because it keeps the game fresh.
    Too bad a lot of this is paid content for which I have to lower the score.
    I also have massive technical trouble with it, had to do a lot of fixes to make it crash less often. This is unnaceptable in a full AAA release and is reflected in the score.
    Overall it's the best WW2 RTS out there, at least imo. Even with its incredible technical issues it gets a solid 7/10.
  48. Aug 17, 2013
    No where near as good as the first one, but still a solid RTS. And seriously people, make your rating based off of game play and not some part of the campaign where its "offensive towards Russians."
  49. Jun 25, 2013
    A good game that leaves a lot to be desired!
    Now a days it seems like it's common practice to release games which are clearly not finished and patch them to completion over a 6-12 month period, COH2 is no exeption.
    At it's core COH2 is a great strategy diamond, just like its predecessor, but unable to shine due to all the poop covering it. *The game suffers enormously from lack of
    A good game that leaves a lot to be desired!

*The game suffers enormously from lack of dedicated servers, 9 out of 10 games will lag, either due to poor connection or one of the players having to high settings.

*COH2 is also lacking content, only 8 maps are in the final version, 13 if you count the winter version of said maps. Seems like the studio spent more time reskinning models so they could sell collectors edition rather than
    Adding content that actually enriches the gaming experience.

*The game is very poorly optimized, even on a high end PC you may experience low fps. Got a mid range PC? Forget it, game will run super poorly on even the lowest settings.
    Even if the game only looks 5-10% better than vCOH, it runs 80% worse.I have no problem running the previous game on the highest possible settings, but somehow the incremental improvement to the graphics in COH2 demands crazy graphical resources.

*Bugs and design flaws are all to apparent. There are to many to list here, but it is obvious the game has some way to go before I would call it anything but a glorified beta.

*A lot of "basic" features which we have come to expect from a game released in 2013 are missing.
    -Unless you are doing a custom game with friends, there is no way to choose which map you want to play.
    -There is no game lobby/server browser, unless u got 8 friends to play with, forget 4vs4 custom games.
    -The game is missing meaningful ranks, leagues and leaderboards. An essential carrot/reward system for a successful online RTS game.
    -No clan system.

If your thinking about spending 60 bucks on this game, or god forbid even more on the collectors edition, DON'T! While the game is fun despite all of these problems, and probably will be a real GEM in 6 months,
    it's important as a consumer to vote with your wallet and not encourage publishers to release half finished products.

Then there are subjective stuff like the UI being butt ugly and taking up half the screen for no reason, smaller maps which make the game feel less "epic" if you will and no real innovative changes to the gameplay despite
    The time years that have passed between the games.

WARNING!
  50. Apr 6, 2014
    Game improved to date, and did have fun in many games i made so far, once i didn't even noticed game was lasting more then a hour and a half cause i was so deeply involved in game. Only problems i find these days are the lack of proper leaderbords and the fact that no one cares about Russia.
  51. Jul 18, 2013
    I like the game but I give it a 5 because the whole game isn't here. The story is short and lacks and real fun levels and all I can say about the DLC levels is F*CK you Relic/Sega whatever.

The story is basically a story of bad guy vs bad guy and at the end your are just like yay! we setup the USSR... great.

Honestly go buy part 1 and skip this one...
  52. Jul 6, 2013
    I'm sorry but this was a huge let-down. If you have played the original, there is nothing new, instead they removed some content, made worse graphics, smaller maps and added all these achivement-milestone crap that all games uses these days. Regarding the graphics, well it might look more shiny, but the original had more destruction. This is like COD vs Battlefield... If we just pretendI'm sorry but this was a huge let-down. If you have played the original, there is nothing new, instead they removed some content, made worse graphics, smaller maps and added all these achivement-milestone crap that all games uses these days. Regarding the graphics, well it might look more shiny, but the original had more destruction. This is like COD vs Battlefield... If we just pretend like CoH original doesn't exist, then this is actually a rather good game, perhaps a 7 or 8. But because this is a sequel to a 7 year old game, you have to rate it based on how much it has improved over the years, and then, it's not worth more than 5. Expand
  53. Aug 9, 2013
    while I have greatly enjoyed previous installments of Company of Heroes (and for that matter I still am as Tales of Valor is still on Quick Launch), I cannot say the same about CoH2. I have waited for this game anxiously just to find a game that is full of regurgitated gameplay, regurgitated clinches and pretty much nothing spectacular.
    Aside the story being nothing but a posterchild for
    Aside the story being nothing but a posterchild for "barbaric, savage soviets" cliches and disrespecting the people that fought that war, the game brings nothing significantly new when compared to CoH aside higher system requirements and snow.
    My advice don't rush into buying this game yet (like I did), look for some other game or wait for the price to get lower if you want to have it. In the meantime play CoH, you won't loose anything important.
  54. Jul 13, 2013
    After a long and very anticipated wait, I was so happy to be able to finally download COH2 from Steam, but I have to echo many of the other comments on here in that it's quite the disappointment.

As a standalone game it's excellent just like the original, however, being a sequel you will obviously expect more and this game really does fail to deliver. It feels like there's actually less units, the maps feel quite small and rather unimaginative, there's no tank traps, no sand bags (only the Russians can build a single sandbag wall thing) so you can't really setup very good defences for weak points or your flanks.

This brings me onto another problem, the population cap isn't very high either so you can't really have very many units at a time. So you can't really setup multiple combinations to protect your flanks against a variety of threats as you simply don't have the population cap to do so. Combine this with very little ability to build defences and you've basically got no strategy just lots of units desperately running about the maps trying to gain lost ground all the time because the AI always seems to send their tanks where you don't have anti-armour units.

I would have liked to see a much larger variety of units, new units )and not just reused stuff that they've clearly taken from the Russian modded version of the original), better maps and also bring in things such as high ground advantage etc.

Also, I'm running an i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 Ram, SSD SATA3 HD and an Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1GB and yet I have to play this at medium settings, despite it not really looking leaps and bounds ahead of the original. The graphics and animations are improved though.

It's still good fun but very disappointed and certainly not worth the price tag. I'd classify this as an expansion, not a sequel.
  55. Jul 25, 2013
    Well, I haven't played the sp campaign completely so far but from what I have played of it, it does seem to be not half as well done as was the campaign in CoH1 which I think is the case with the Multiplayer part of this game as well.

Seriously, after being a fan of company of heroes 1 for years, I expected so much from this game but then I finally played the beta and I was shell shocked because it felt like a step back in so many ways. Regardless the community cried out together for the devs to fix the things which were pulling this game down. One example is the terrible ui in this game, everybody who played the beta complained and complained and complained but the devs in their arrogance have changed almost nothing of note in the final product. There are similar problems with balance and then biggest of all for me there's performance issues!

I have a gtx 660ti 2gb card with an i5 processor and 8 gb ram, one should think that I will be able to play at max settings not just in sp or skirmishes but mp as well, instead the game autodetects low image quality, no AA and medium-low settings but ofc I can play comfortably with max settings anyway. The problem also is with the lag in online play and how much time it takes to find games!! In coh1 I could find games in under a minute 5.5 6 years after the release and play virtually lag free with people all over the world. I must have played 100's of 1v1s and 2v2s and never was lag a significant issue but now I have to wait much longer and the lag so often is a in team games (funny part is that now I have slightly better Internet connection than in those days)

If this were a separate game from some other developer team and they called it Eastern Front Wars or whatever with everything being what it is, I would have thought it a decent game which 'can' be enjoyed for what it is an ok rts game to fill the time but because it was supposed to be the sequel to Company Of Heroes a game which I and many others still revere today, I can't help but be disappointed with how they COMPLETELY SQUANDERED the opportunity to make a great sequel instead choosing to focus on modernizing the game so that the masses would love it. It's such a step backwards in so many ways that one wonders if they sat down together and said 'right lets take all of the things that players love about and are the hallmarks of Company Of Heroes and tweak them in one way or another so it seems all fresh and new" and then add in some new bs like blizzards and we have a hit on our hands'. Unfortunately for the players, its almost butchered the game. After buying the game now however, I can only hope that they will keep working on the game and that some day it might come close to being as fun and challenging to play as its prequel was
  56. Jul 26, 2013
    "National myths are extremely powerful, and never more so than with World War II. For America, the war validates ideas about the struggle for freedom. For Britain, it represents pluck against terrible odds. For France, the nobility of resistance. In Russia, it is about the necessity of sacrifice" Colin Campbell, polygon.com
    It's not a bad game, but this game hurt our feelings. No
    It's not a bad game, but this game hurt our feelings. No brainwashing. It's history of our grandfathers, our history, but Relic doesn't respect it. Maybe this user score reminds to him, whose honor they are vilified. Thank you, Relic!
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    The game is great for those players, who have never ever been played CoH before. All other old long termed hardcore CoH1 Players is it disappointing. There are a couple of reasons for disappointments:
    - KI feels unfinished, mainly because the soldiers of any kind of fraction dies to quick and they are running partially all over the place, to cover soldiers behind walls etc. is not possible.
    - Graphics still on the first release of 2006, in highest settings this game is unplayable even on a high end pc
    - The gameplay without a proper setup of function keys is absolutely rubbish and I believe after thinking of some other SEGA releases, that it seems to be a big internal SEGA issue.
    But: It is still Company of Heroes and I have to wait what sega/relic will do on the update front for this game. I like it, but I am not happy with it.
  58. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is a disappointment. It feels more like a Company of Heroes 1 expansion than an actual sequel. There are a few new game play elements with deep snow and lakes with breakable ice being great fun. The Blizzard mechanic on the other hand is a mixed bag of tricks, it causes problems with some graphics cards and having units die from cold after a short period of time took away gameThis game is a disappointment. It feels more like a Company of Heroes 1 expansion than an actual sequel. There are a few new game play elements with deep snow and lakes with breakable ice being great fun. The Blizzard mechanic on the other hand is a mixed bag of tricks, it causes problems with some graphics cards and having units die from cold after a short period of time took away game play value from me personally.

On the Multiplayer side of things the game lacks almost everything you've come to expect from a modern RTS. There are no Ladders and no lobby. The game will happily put level 5 players up against level 50 players. Level doesn't matter much though, because unlike the excellent Company of Heroes Online there is no account progression which is something I personally sorely missed. To make matters worse most of the players favour Germans, and since Germans can't fight Germans you'll be sitting in queue for quite a long time between games unless you play as Russians.

The single player side of things is a joke. The actual missions aren't bad, but the Red army is portrayed in a very bad light. In Company of Heroes 1 it was obvious you played as heroes but in this sequel the Russians are the Hollywood version. Basically this means that instead of getting Soviet heroes you're getting James Bond villains.

Overall I think it's a game you can easily pass by unless you really loved Company of Heroes 1.
  59. Jul 3, 2013
    I`m just wondering why reviewers don`t mention lack of multiplayer lobby or option to choose annihilate. You can only automach VP games or play custom games with friends. There is no option to play custom multiplayer game with random people. For me as a veteran of CoH 1 its game breaking. After playing dozens of multiplayer matches I must say that i`m a little disappointed. At some pointI`m just wondering why reviewers don`t mention lack of multiplayer lobby or option to choose annihilate. You can only automach VP games or play custom games with friends. There is no option to play custom multiplayer game with random people. For me as a veteran of CoH 1 its game breaking. After playing dozens of multiplayer matches I must say that i`m a little disappointed. At some point you encounter hard core players and multi stops being fun. I`ve expected improvement upon CoH 1 not a step back. Expand
  60. Jul 26, 2013
    I am somewhat disappointed with this game. It is okay, so-so, not a great game, not worth the full purchase price which I paid...but it isn't horrible, and definitely doesn't deserve a rating of 0, 1, or even 2 under any circumstances, in my opinion.

There doesn't seem to be too much improvement in the graphics or physics (I run this at max settings with a GTX 780), the campaign missions get boring pretty quickly, there are still game-breaking bugs, lots of retarded, childish abilities (like being able to summon a blizzard? Come on guys, that's not tactical or "authentic," that's just gay), the units are not realistically balanced (in the game, early in the war, you'll have difficulty fighting 1:1 ratio German tanks to Soviet tanks, when in reality, German tanks smashed much larger forces of Soviet tanks with less casualties for the first few years of the war).

There's also not enough new features or gameplay innovations...which is fine by me, but if you're going to keep most things the same, AT LEAST IMPROVE THE GRAPHICS, EFFECTS, ANIMATIONS and PHYSICS A LOT!!!

Finally, a word about the campaign. I am Russian, born in Moscow, but moved to USA when I was 10 I am 13 years old now). The Russians aren't holy saviors and the Red Army weren't saints! My own great-grandpa (who fought in the Red Army all the way from Kursk to Berlin) told me how he and his friends ATE a German soldier. The Russians raped 1,000,000+ German girls (read or watch Anonyma: Ein Frau ein Berlin, a German girl's true story about the Russian occupation) and also raped thousands of Chinese girls when the Russian Army destroyed the Japanese Army in Manchuria. Did you know that 600,000 Japanese soldiers were enslaved by Russians, many of whom died in Siberian slave camps (gulags)? Look it up, even the Wikipedia article "Soviet-Japanese War" will tell you where to look. Lots of Japanese girls who were relatives of the businessmen and bureaucrats that were transferred to Manchukuo the Chinese puppet of Japanese empire, were raped when the Russians "liberated" China. USSR and Germany had a secret pact to divide Poland; USSR turned a blind eye to Hitler and only reacted when they themselves were attacked. Read about Stalin's "great purge," when many top-ranking Soviet generals were removed from command in 1939, some of them brutally executed! Want to know why Russians lost so many men vs. Germans? Because they had no leaders, because Russians couldn't stop killing each other, even at the TOP levels of government and military hierarchy!

So please, none of this "evil nazis" and "Russian good guys" There are NO good guys, anywhere: Brits are not "good guys," Americans are not "good guys," Japanese and Chinese weren't "good guys," Russians and Germans ESPECIALLY were not "good guys." If you believe in "good guys" and "evil nazis" then congratulations, you have swallowed the propaganda. A quote from Harry Potter: there is no "good" or "evil," there is only power, and those too weak to use it...

So yeah. My score, 6/10, has NOTHING to do with campaign story and EVERYTHING to do with an underwhelming deliverable. This feels like an expansion or a DLC pack, not a true stand-alone game deserving of its price or professional praise (from corrupt game review sites that get paid for 10/10)
  61. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played the game for 2-3 days. I thought what will be much better, but THQ went out and Sega came in.
    Sega sucks, and the game is not really good. Im really sad about this...
  62. Aug 1, 2013
    Having played COH1 and all its expansions I was really looking forward in getting COH2.
    Since everything else was already commented on there is another thing that RELIC really f*ed up: the humor.
    Agreed, there is no humor in COH2 but I really loved the Brits talking and making fun in COH1. Even the Germans with their "Heavy Panzer" shouts were fun to listen to. And it's sad to say that
    And it's sad to say that the soldiers' comments in COH2 are just fail...
  63. Jul 16, 2013
    Unit response time is ridiculously slow sandbags and tank traps buildable by engineers were completely taken out another stupid move no annihilate games vs other online players no sli support and bad optimization with nvidia. The core game is decent but not amazing like CoH 1 was. Get up of your ass Relic and fix these critical issues.....
  64. Jun 28, 2013
    SCORE: As a 1000+ hours veteran of CoH 1, I rate this a solid 6. I'm not going to play that childish game of rating based on other player's votes (10's and 0's). Metacritic needs to come out with a rating system that requires a driver's license I.D. to register so that accuracy isn't thrown out the window for nerd raging children.

ALL AROUND: The "nothing has changed!" reviews

ALL AROUND: The "nothing has changed!" reviews aren't as stupid as they come across. What people are saying, and I agree, is that the base game never evolved. Instead, what they did was take the same system and the same crap AI with it's same aggravating maneuvers, and "fixed" things that weren't really broken. Sure, the interface is cleaner and easier for newcomers to utilize. What is glaringly obvious is that nobody from the development team was tasked to find the problems with the original and fix them. You'll still have tanks getting stuck on a shrub, cascading a traffic jam into all of your other units, causing many more of your tanks to turn 180 degrees and show their weakest point to the enemy, getting nailed by anti tank fire in the behind while they throw a fit over a tiny land object. Foot-soldier units won't calculate that they are in a huge clusterfrack and decide to take a 3 second detour around the idiots in front of them in order to complete a move order.

The workaround for poor A.I. is still the same: micromanagement. If you didn't plan ahead the perfect point-to-point path each and every unit should take, then you're going to have to force your tanks to reverse with their gun's forward on your own for every single jammed unit. Essentially the commander of the entire front is out of the office driving tanks for the army while the rest sits around clueless.

GRAPHICS: This game was clearly developed with the same technology and requirements of the old version, thus, the developer decided that updated machines will take place of them optimizing their game. I'm left to question -WHAT?- exactly was done with all of this development time?

GAMEPLAY: This is merely CoH 1.5, a reskin and rehash of the original. There's some added gimmicks thrown in to make you think you're playing the next generation of RTS, but really all your going to be playing is a regurgitation with a bunch of things to slow down and pin your armies in order to change the pace of gameplay.

---------: If you've played the original CoH with any of the incredible modifications that the fan base churned out, you'll be sad to find that none of that talent was used to create a real CoH 2.0. We already had these doctrines in the CoH mod, Eastern Front which was FREE! We already had these graphics in the CoH mod blitzkreig... and it ran a hell of a lot better than Company of Heroes "2".

Don't buy this game until its had at least 6 months of fixes. If you're a CoH 1 fan and didn't preorder for whatever reason, you'll be bored of this game in minutes anyway. Even waiting six months, I'd wait some more until expansion packs and features that have been removed from the game are available for major discounts or free with the main game. CoH2 is just another franchise grabbing easy cash from their solid fan base while really offering nothing new that truly is worth $60.

Just Imagine what you can and will get if you spend your money elsewhere...
  65. Jul 18, 2013
    The game has the feel of COH 1, but lacks hte realism that COH 1 had. You cannot flank a Anti-tank unit and easily kill everyone. The mechanics still believe that the crew has the shield blocking the shots. Plus, the lack of defenses for the Russians make it seem that they are always on the offensive.I think its still alot of fun and brings new strageties to the table, but COH 2 should ofThe game has the feel of COH 1, but lacks hte realism that COH 1 had. You cannot flank a Anti-tank unit and easily kill everyone. The mechanics still believe that the crew has the shield blocking the shots. Plus, the lack of defenses for the Russians make it seem that they are always on the offensive.I think its still alot of fun and brings new strageties to the table, but COH 2 should of brough the japanese into play as well, instead of bring more germans. Expand
  66. Jul 5, 2013
    Having played the game a while now I feel its nowhere near as good as the first one. I dont understand the decision to take out elements like building defenses ie tank traps bunkers dugouts etc, I loved that in the first game, but overall its not a bad game, just feels like there have been things taken out for the sake of making it different to COH 1

Still a few balancing issues to be

Still a few balancing issues to be sorted i think, and im sure we'll see countless patches like we did for the first one, its not grabbing me like the first one did

My opinion is if you've never played a COH game then get the first one with all the add on's and if youve bought the first one and are a fan of the game then this is just about worth a buy,.
  67. Jul 17, 2013
    Company of Heroes 2 is an odd game to review. It works really well, but is honestly just a large expansion of one of the best RTS' of all time, Company of Heroes. If you're dying for more COH then this is worth the purchase, if not, spend your money elsewhere.
  68. Jun 28, 2013
    This game is such a great MP game. It is a pity there are only 2 factions to play with, but the gameplay is awesome, everything you expect from a RTS. 4v4 games are just grand.
  69. Jul 3, 2013
    CoH 2 plays like, and feels like the first one, which I love.
    Since it has the same feel and play-style as the first one, I can't help but rate it at least an 8.
    However, there are a lot of things I feel that are wrong with the game; I don't think the flaws should impact your decision to buy it. The game definitely feels incomplete with the lack of sandbags (only conscripts can
    CoH 2 plays like, and feels like the first one, which I love.

The game definitely feels incomplete with the lack of sandbags (only conscripts can build sandbags, which have a set size and do not allow you to make a continuous line like barbed wire; They are frustrating to place, and still are difficult to have a squad be completely in hard cover. The Germans have ZERO sandbag emplacements and their only somewhat defensive emplacement is a bunker. The lack of tank traps and sandbags are very aggravating, ESPECIALLY when the game has virtually no natural hard cover (compared to the first one). Oh, and since you can't build tank traps, you can't prevent tanks from destroying your sandbags.

They have done quite a bit of fixing to the balancing of units, but it's not enough to change the fact that Russians are an infantry team, and Germans are an armoured team. The German command trees are terrible, and have ZERO special infantry units.

Snow maps are absolutely terrible, and the whole blizzard thing should be completely redone. It just pauses the game if you go infantry, and since you can't build tank traps, vehicles run over the firepits all the time. They get destroyed too easily and still cost 100 manpower.

The bulletin/perk system is silly, considering 9/10 times, the perks that you'll unlock have virtually no impact on the game. 2% increased accuracy?; completely unnoticeable....especially when you have to play dozens of games to unlock it.

I don't want to rant too much, especially since I started off this review as a rating of 9, then I gradually started realizing more and more flaws with the game.

HOWEVER...

The game is new, and still has a LOT of time for improvement and perhaps they'll add more emplacements with updates. I'm also excited for when they release some expansion packs, which will hopefully have more units. Despite everything negative I've said about this game, I would still recommend it, and would definitely buy it.
  70. Jul 25, 2013
    Nazism. Fascism. Paul Joseph Goebbels. Hitler-Jugend. Propaganda. The Cold War. False. Deception. Manipulation of facts. Manipulation of citations. One-sided point of view. Russophobia. But this game the best strategy for the last 5 years.
  71. Jul 24, 2013
    For countless times, I witnessed how ridiculous the users on metacritic are. Seriously, a week ago it was 5.0 and has no sign to go any lower. But suddenly it's 2.1??? It's pretty clear haters have multiple accounts to rate the game over and over. It's just BS.
    The game is okay. The optimism for PC is nowhere near its predecessor. The campaign story is written by a guy who only watched a few Soviet Union documentaries. But the game is still playable and you can have fun in it.
    Therefore I simply don't understand why some of the hate come from. Why campaign story matters that a lot? Are they fans of Starlin?
  72. Jul 11, 2014
    The first "Company of Heroes" was a rare milestone in RTS games. Not only did it master the art of telling a good story, it also added realistic, fun game play features, especially when it came to facing of units. It was smooth, balanced, well crafted, innovative, addictive and downright amazing.

For CoH2, I expected more of the same. Before I played it, I honestly thought Russians were just getting all patriotic and whiny about the plot. After playing most of the campaign, I gotta admit the criticism is well founded. Russians are stereotypical EVIL in this game. It's like a cold war spy movie. The Russian officers gladly kill every surviving solider after a heroic defensive battle, JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT.

Nazis in CoH2 however seem to be good, upstanding citizens - I have yet to see a single nazi war crime in the game. While playing one can only conclude that your guys are fighting for the wrong side. Anyway, story sucks and is written by someone who has no idea what Russia in WWII was all about. Enough about it.

Graphics are pretty, squads work well, campaign maps are well-made. The same features that make CoH special are still there, but newly added features are rather uninteresting. The Russian winter is represented by jumps from bonfire to bonfire. Neither very interesting in terms of game play, nor historically correct: Standing right next to a huge bonfire on the front line of a war where the enemy has artillery and snipers doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

The game is not a bad game - it's relatively fun to play, looks good and never crashed for me. However it fails to add anything, and the story is downright idiotic. More missions have been published as DLC, but I can't say I'm hankering for more of CoH2.
  73. Aug 16, 2013
    The game itself was decidedly average, but what I find most intriguing is the single player story and peoples reaction to it. First of all its clear that all the Russians who claim that they never burnt down their own house's during the war, they clearly need to read a real history book not a doctored one about how awesome the soviets are I'm not saying they burned them with peopleThe game itself was decidedly average, but what I find most intriguing is the single player story and peoples reaction to it. First of all its clear that all the Russians who claim that they never burnt down their own house's during the war, they clearly need to read a real history book not a doctored one about how awesome the soviets are I'm not saying they burned them with people inside but has ANYONE HEARD OF A SCORCHED EARTH POLICY? You know when you deny the enemy vital supplies and positions and defences by destroying farms, homesteads, equipment, roads, rails, telephone lines, you know anything VALUBALE? Its been documented that the Soviets destroyed vast tracts of land to deny the Nazi's anything that they could use against them. It shames me that we are willing to forget the inconvenient parts of history like what happened to the Poles both in the east and west, (yes in the west we didn't include the Poles in the World War II victory parade in London because we were afraid of the Russians in 1946). Its a travesty what happened to the Polish people and the distorted view of history that both this game and the people who have commented here only shows an ignorance to the real facts of World War II. No this is not a pro Nazi-Rant, they didn't get anywhere near what they deserved, but don't sit there and type pro-soviet crap under the guise of the game being pro-Nazi propaganda the game is nothing of the sort. And it personally angers me that the Russians get up on there high horse when they signed a non-aggression pact with Hitler in 1939 then invaded Poland and then Invaded Finland but in 1941 when the Germans invaded acted like they were standing on the moral high ground? But that's lost to history isn't it cant have anyone catching on to it not just being simply Good vs. Bad and nothing else at stake. AND THAT spits in the face of EVERY veteran that served. Remember the lessons they had to die to teach us people. Expand
  74. Aug 18, 2013
    The game is more arcade than strategy one. As a fan of Combat Mission series and reality in games, this game seems to be an arcade for teenagers, not a strategy game for history passionates.

Overall, the faster you click, the better you play Company of Heroes 2. Huge disappointment, wasted $30.
  75. Jun 1, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a game with alot of potential. Unfortunately the developers are more interested in bleeding you dry in addon content that does nothing to enrich the game. A poor balance leaves most Russian players wondering why they even bother to sign in. skip this title and save yourself hours of wondering why Relic hates the East.
  76. Dec 28, 2013
    Game is fine, people just blowing their tops for nothing. I wouldn't say it was the diamond that these people seem to be expecting it to be, but it was a decent release. I had little to no problems running this on the highest settings but have experienced the lagging issue with other players bringing the game down. I didn't expect nearly as much going into it, even though I was a huge fanGame is fine, people just blowing their tops for nothing. I wouldn't say it was the diamond that these people seem to be expecting it to be, but it was a decent release. I had little to no problems running this on the highest settings but have experienced the lagging issue with other players bringing the game down. I didn't expect nearly as much going into it, even though I was a huge fan of CoH. I'd say yes, content wise CoH was better since by the time CoH2 came out, we had so many expansions/expandalones and mods out there that individuals were left unsatisfied in the end. One thing I do miss was the actual trees in the original CoH which took a bit of thought in response for your opponents actions. A couple of the generals in CoH2 aren't even worth using really.

I skipped the campaign because I usually just play for the multiplayer/ai matches with friends.
  77. Jun 25, 2013
    Relic! Really?
    As a Company of Heroes veteran (have bought and extensively played the previous four), I really could not be more disappointed.
    Every developer has had a big miss, and Relic has their first huge miss. Company of Heroes 1 was released 7 years ago. Yet it has better UI, better unit information, better maps. And even better graphics, as Company of Heroes 2 demands huge
    Relic! Really?
    Every developer has had a big miss, and Relic has their first huge miss.

Company of Heroes 1 was released 7 years ago. Yet it has better UI, better unit information, better maps. And even better graphics, as Company of Heroes 2 demands huge computer power for very little enhancements.

Snipers are worthless, no mines, or sandbags. Buildings look much worse than COH1, the User Interface wastes ridiculous space in worthless unit descriptions.

There are so many steps back from its predecessor, that the snow effects and 5% better graphics really cannot make this game passable.

And the little snow pocket watch. What! This is a serious RTS not Command & Conquer. Timed blizzards are ridiculous.

Very very angry at Relic. Seven years in the making, they could have just added some snow to COH1. Maybe a $10 DLC.

1. Oct 7, 2013