Company of Heroes 2 PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 25, 2013
2.1

1. Sep 25, 2013
    revising my review to 0/10 for changing the game to pay2win. GJ sega, by go screw up some1 elses franchise now too.

After buying and playing the original and all the Expansions and DLCs I couldn't wait to play CoH 2. Unfortunately its bloody awful. Its all just rush rush rush and the gameplay is frankly irritating and boring. The first game is the best in my opinion and each expansion has taken something away from the game.

CoH 2 isn't bad, its terrible. Maps aren't great, AI is terrible, squad control is fiddly and really is a step backwards, voice acting isn't immersive, environment isn't pretty or outstanding in any way.

If you haven't played CoH or Opposing Fronts, buy those. Much much much better games and good value for money now. Wasted my money and won't be playing CoH2 any more.
  2. Sep 24, 2013
    Dear Relic. Your game is awesome and I'm having much fun playing it. Don't listen to these Russians who don't even know (or don't want to) about their history. It is a very first game which shows real behavior of russians in World War 2. I'm proud of you Relic, do not be intimidated!
  3. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is now more like cheap pay2win asian mmo's with huge "STORE" button in every sub-menu of the game. It's not a AAA RTS title it's a simple,little machine designed to rip you off. Just check the game's steam store page and feast your eyes with tons of DLCs. Oh and now they started actual new units to the game..and you must PAY to play them. How is this fair in a competitiveThis game is now more like cheap pay2win asian mmo's with huge "STORE" button in every sub-menu of the game. It's not a AAA RTS title it's a simple,little machine designed to rip you off. Just check the game's steam store page and feast your eyes with tons of DLCs. Oh and now they started actual new units to the game..and you must PAY to play them. How is this fair in a competitive multiplayer game? Expand
  4. Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you Sega. Thank you Relic.
    I am from Russia. And I was very impressed with the plot of this game.
    Now I know what you think about the life of my grandparents. You have found the worst of the bad. And you said all that was, was bad. You said that this story objectively. P.s.: This is the latest game that I bought at Sega or Relic. I ask everyone, who considers himself a Russian
    Thank you Sega. Thank you Relic.
    I am from Russia. And I was very impressed with the plot of this game.
    Now I know what you think about the life of my grandparents.
    You have found the worst of the bad. And you said all that was, was bad.
    You said that this story objectively.
    P.s.: This is the latest game that I bought at Sega or Relic. I ask everyone, who considers himself a Russian would join me. I think this position will be the objective.
  5. Nov 29, 2013
    I played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro allI played the beta, seemed it would turn to be ok, But afther a few months i baught it cheap on steam. And i already regret it. Gameplay does not come near to the first one. In part one you could choose between playing with a lot of micro (pvp) or build a nice defence and play relexed. This last way of relexed playing is not possilbe anymore. Even againts normal cpu i have to micro all over the battlefield all the time. I do not always want to play like that. German armor seemed to be made of glas, it takes ages to kill infantery with a normal p4. Im spending more time repairing tanks and heal my inf then im actualy fighting. Its just a bad choice to choose this engine. Perhaps its a nice game for the people who love playing against other people. But i cant play it as a relexed game like i did coh1. Imo crap. I believe the makers dont understand what all the strengts where of the first part. Furthermore they make this game a milking cow with all their dlc's. All these commanders with basicly all the same abilitys but a bit reshuffeled.

The popcap is way to low, you can only have a handfull of units. No way you can leave a defence force at one place because you just cant afford it. You just move to one point to the other, finding out that the opponent just recaps the places you just captured. Boring.

So disappointed. lucky i can still play the first part.
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    I have a decent rig and find that I can't even run the performance test on COH2 without severe stuttering at the lowest settings. Horrible optimization from a game that I expected to be better than the original. Stick with the original, this one is broken!
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    Everything that was good in COH1 or even COHO was revamped and ruined, MP is worst! automatching is horrible, the Single player is one offensive clichés after another (mostly stolen from Enemy at the gates) if Joseph Goebbels made is pc game it would be Coh2.
  8. Sep 23, 2013
    it is a good game, it doesnt deserve the low score it has. the bulletin system doesn't seem like it was entirely thought out but it's nice to see them trying new things.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is hard. Your four year old will not get a lucky kill or two here! Truly, CoH2 is for the true lover of strategy. Throw out your cookie cutter mob rolls from StarCraft and Warcraft, this game requires you to be active with your units. I've played since the first edition and this is a worthy successor. The environment is a little tricky with weather, but it provides enoughThis game is hard. Your four year old will not get a lucky kill or two here! Truly, CoH2 is for the true lover of strategy. Throw out your cookie cutter mob rolls from StarCraft and Warcraft, this game requires you to be active with your units. I've played since the first edition and this is a worthy successor. The environment is a little tricky with weather, but it provides enough game changing opportunities to be considered one of the better improvements. Expand
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    Worst of tthe worst. No sli, buggy, crappy gameplay. bad performance. and just the same game in a new skin.
    Words do not exist tp explain my dissapointmen
  11. Oct 7, 2013
    This game is awful just friggin awful.

8 years after CoH and all we get are new skins. AI is so much dumber now... seriously the cover system is totally broken. Oh yeah and the story sucks so to add insult to injury it's worse than CoH.

Just so bad to release a game like this. It's not even friggin optimized and runs sluggish as hell!!
  12. Oct 29, 2013
    The singleplayer experience is ruined with utterly offensive plot and disgusting gameplay issues. As far as Relics say 'it's all authentic' the pleasure of playing this is second to none.
  13. Nov 12, 2013
    Extremely disappointing! I've been following the development of this game for quite a while, I really didn't expected Relic to release such a "broken" game. There's no real innovations, the game play is boring compared to the original, there's a real lack of cleverness in this new tittle: even the HUD Menus are a mess. The great COH 1 multiplayer mechanisms are lost. They should have keptExtremely disappointing! I've been following the development of this game for quite a while, I really didn't expected Relic to release such a "broken" game. There's no real innovations, the game play is boring compared to the original, there's a real lack of cleverness in this new tittle: even the HUD Menus are a mess. The great COH 1 multiplayer mechanisms are lost. They should have kept developing COHO as a free to play, this was way better! Expand
  14. Zir
    Dec 9, 2013
    This game is a DO NOT BUY. Shallow content. CoH1 was far superior. Few maps, few units. Its as if they took our beloved original and consolized it. Performs poorly, maps are very uninspired and boring. Like city maps, sorry. This is a cash grab game and people that really know the first one will be sickened by this attempt.

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not

I knew it was beyond suspect playing through the beta and not enjoying it. They simply took the old game and swiss cheesed it, removed sweet features and content. The only positive thing I can mention is the variable weather but even that leaves a bit to be desired. Its more like snow blizzards that come in cycles.

Beware of fake reviews. After reading most of the reviews, most of the highly rated ones are blatantly bogus
  15. Jan 21, 2014
    You would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skillsYou would have more fun if you slathered yourself in goat fat and walked into the middle of a hungry pack of wolves and kicked the pack leader right in the nads, I'm not joking! I was so looking forward to this game after the love affair I had with COH 1 and this game is the biggest let down I have had the opportunity to experience! It's not that the game is beautiful, or the new skills and skill tree that you could use; or even the new units, I must say they all look great. It's the fact that this game is more buggy than road kill thats been on the road for a week in the middle of July! The game never runs longer than 5 minutes without a spectacular cosmic death crash that once crashed it will force you to upload the update again, never mind that you uploaded the update 5 billion times before on the previous crashes; which BTW takes around 30-45 minutes while you sit and wait for it to complete while it completey wastes your time. The best that SEGA can offer is "reinstall the game", or "reinstall your video drivers again and again like some demented parrot that has nothing better to say, hope that if it repeats itself so many times that you will either give up or you will believe that finally this time it might just work. Save your money and go purchase another game that you will have more fun with, or go to the movies; hell pay someone to beat the crap out of you, you will have more fun than sitting and trying to get this game to limp along and function as a normal game should. You have been warned! Expand
  16. Sep 6, 2013
    Played this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete wastePlayed this for around 8 days now and purchased it off Steam the other day so paid full price because I thought it would be worth it. I was extremely sad to realise the lack of effort and innovation they have put into this game. I thought after all this time they could have made it a lot better and all it is pretty much is COH 1 remastered with newer textures and graphics. Complete waste of money, absolute joke. Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2013
    A complete travesty this game is. I really enjoyed the first CoH games. When I finally got CoH2 I was expecting it to be a beautiful RTS based on WW2. Instead all I got was the same CoH graphics, only buggier, jagged, and far laggier. The game was pretty much the same. No, it was a step back! The campaign is absolute garbage. I also picked up on the slight racism towards the Russians andA complete travesty this game is. I really enjoyed the first CoH games. When I finally got CoH2 I was expecting it to be a beautiful RTS based on WW2. Instead all I got was the same CoH graphics, only buggier, jagged, and far laggier. The game was pretty much the same. No, it was a step back! The campaign is absolute garbage. I also picked up on the slight racism towards the Russians and glorifying the Germans. As a Russian I felt a bit annoyed.
    Multiplayer is slighty better quality, but the lack of a lobby pits you with random players, most of which lag severely or drop out in the first 5 minutes of the game.

What an awful game. Get the first Company of Heroes games over this POS.
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    ZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian frontZEROes the community here on metacritic is making metacritic not even work properly, this game isn't a ZERO how ridiculous, either hate it or love it, that's not what metacritic measures, give it a score. Ok this game does seem like a lot of sequels go backward instead of forward, I don't believe this game is any better at all from COH 1, but yet it is a good stand alone Russian front playable game, the snow I thought would be corny, but I really like it. Its kind of like COH in respect to gameplay the Russian infantry is about as strong as US infantry and tanks and cars do pretty much the same thing. I like the commanders but there is not a forked tech tree you pick a commander and you go linear down their tech. This game isn't a step forward its a good game, but it doesn't move the ball down the field at all, Expand
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    As a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. ThisAs a fan of the first CoH, I naturally got CoH 2 in the Boxing Day sales, however the game is unplayable! After the first cutscene the game runs with unplayable frames, dwindling around 25. Considering the graphics have barely changed since CoH 1, this is outrageous. I am sure it's not my Pc, as my specs are better than needed to play the game fine, at least at 80-100 fps on medium. This issue is known, and as soon as I can play the damn thing, I'll give a real review of it, however avoid this game at all costs, at least until a patch comes out. Expand
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    Ok first I'll start by saying this game had a rough start, but just in the last 3-4 months is has become a lot better, they have actual servers for the automatch so no longer do you need to worry about lag, even the optimization is better now when I first played this game i was getting a lot of stutters and input lag in multiplayer but no longer its all fixed now.

now just recently they

now just recently they have released the western front armies which i believe has brought this game back to life, it comes with two new armies the Oberkommando and usa which is only $20 and well worth it also on top of that it also gives custom game lobbies which is something people have been asking for since the game first got released and now they also have a thing called war spoils which when you finish a match there is a chance that you will get an item such as a commander or skin even faceplate oh and victory strikes.

Now for veteran players they have added three prestige levels so pretty much i believe this game now deserves a 10/10
  21. Oct 18, 2013
    I see that everyone rates this as a 1, I think that is a bit harsh the game is OK.

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think. Graphics: The graphics are better then company of heroes 1 if you are able to run it at maximum graphics without any sort of lag spikes or anything, it is not a huge improvement but it is still eye candy in my eyes. 7/10 UI: The UI is

I will give you a honest short summary of what I think.

Graphics:

UI:

The UI is pretty much as it used to be, but in my opinion how they have done the commander thing is ruining the game because it lacks content which the commanders have but you may only choose some of the content that should have all been added to the game.

For example in a german doctrine you can call in assault grenadiers, why cant grenadiers upgrade themselves to mp40 like in coh 1 for 50-75 munition? or why cant you just make ostruppen from the barracks instead of calling it in?

You see, they have added alot of content they just split the rest of the 30% into commanders, so it feels like you are playing with the same set of units every game.

Gameplay:

Gameplaywise we have the blizzard and snow, which I personally like I know other people simply hate it but thats their opinion. I feel like i have to adapt to the climate and the game more and I like it +1 for relic, you can build up a formation which you can use to several tactical desicions.

Or else the gameplay has been ripped like it used to be in CoH 1, it lacks alot of content which you should be able to build like sandbags, tank traps e.t.c, I was hoping relic would make even more content in Coh 2 because we all enjoyed it it made each match a bit more different each time and we could adapt more tactics.

The buildings dont look good at all, with effort I could make it even better using Maya.

There is more I could write but its just to much, but in short its not really a huge improvement and well because of this it gets a low score because in the long run it ruins the enjoyment of the game.

Music and Sounds:

I had to download a voice pack so the German would speak their native language and the Soviets theirs to make it more awesome, I never was a fan of english german and english russian it reminds me of Men of War and it is just horrible. Relic did not add the option to change this ingame so the community yet again have to make updated voice packs, even though it has been requested alot.

The music is alright I guess, I liked vcohs music alot more it was more epic and each faction had a fitting music to them. This is not the case in this game.

The sounds are decent, though there are many gun sounds I would have changed.

Summary:

* Blizzard (my opinion)

It's hard to mention anything else here as everything else is pretty much the same from vcoh or has been removed.

* Commanders/DLC * Poorly designed Buildings * Content and Features ingame * Bad/un-intresting story I just want to mention I do not play the singleplayer at all as it was not intresting for me to continue. Last thing.. If you enjoyed vcoh you may or may not find joy in this one, I still find joy in the multiplayer and I play it everyday though if you havent bought this game I can not recommend you to buy this one as there are stuff you will miss from vcoh. And at the moment Relic is doing this micro transaction thing of theirs which hurts the game. I also forgot to mention the balance of the two sides we have in the game, the germans do still have way more advantage than the soviets, Relic is currently fixing this by nerfing everything. Instead of nerfing, add more units and content.. If the soviets cant kill panthers dont nerf panthers add a new vehicle which is at the same price as a panther is to counter a panther.. Dont nerf panthers or tigers.. This is also hurting the game in my opinion.. they are doing this for pretty much any unit/vehicle in the game As of now what would save this game is a new boss or supervisor with new ideas who could lead this Relic towards a good game. Remove DLC and refund people who have bought dlcs and add the content into the game. ADD MORE CONTENT FOR GODS SAKE. Dont mind the typos I know they are everywhere I just dont care..
  22. Nov 4, 2013
    Great game with true story. Soviets (not russians) was bad as Third Reich (not german people) was, they both started a WW2 and life was nothing worth, they both done lots of criminals against people.
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    A well-constructed follow-up to the amazing first Company of Heroes that suffers from too much hand-holding throughout the campaign and some connection issues online (10% of my games end in being disconnected). Overall, still a great game to a WWII aficionado like myself.

As for what the Russian community is decrying, I felt like Relic did a good job of conveying the valor and accomplishments of the Red Army soldiers vs. the terror of the NKVD and Stalin's regime. However, there are a couple ahistorical moments in the game that seem to exist simply to push this theme forward which in retrospect probably should have been left out.
  24. Nov 9, 2013
    After reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get onAfter reading the current reviews and personally playing the free trial that this game had a while back I must say I really don't care what others scored this game. First off the day one dlc, yeah releasing it on day one is pretty ridiculous, but guess what.....every gaming company has a deadline that is set for them, they wont always be able to get every single thing they want to get on there, I have designed games before it is harder than people take credit for and people think it is easy, its not. Second, people are moaning about the anti-soviet theme in this game. The things you see, anti soviet wise, did happen, the soviet commanders were brutal and hateful, and in many cases they made themselves worse than the Nazis, history shows this but most people don't seem to read anymore. The soviets wanted to exterminate the Germans and anything that Germany touched they wanted to destroy it. Now I don't condone what Hitler did, but seriously quit whining, I remember when gaming used to be about playing games instead of whining about this and that, its one reason I am not as big of a gamer as I used to be. Now COH1 was great, and this one pretty much feels like there is nothing new, so I can see the negative reviews on that part. Graphics I don't really care about anymore as it is stupid that we beg for more and more graphics that cause us to spend more and more on games nowadays. Story wise, it was alright. Overall, to me this is an average game, nothing really fancy or new about it but oh well, creating games is so much harder nowadays and with deadlines set by the company owners just makes it even harder. For those of you whining and complaining.....just stop, ok I am tired of the whining as I am sure so many others are too. Gamers are just not what they used to be. Expand
  25. Dec 17, 2013
    I was very excited for the release and when i finally got the game i was horrendously disappointed to see that the graphics had been dumbed down in a desperate attempt to make more sales. Apparently, too many people with crap systems where crying that they couldn't run the game, so now the graphics look like animated play dough. This game is just an absolute eye sore to even look at. RelicI was very excited for the release and when i finally got the game i was horrendously disappointed to see that the graphics had been dumbed down in a desperate attempt to make more sales. Apparently, too many people with crap systems where crying that they couldn't run the game, so now the graphics look like animated play dough. This game is just an absolute eye sore to even look at. Relic had a very good potential with the company of heroes series and they just threw it in the garbage. I still prefer the original game over this by far. Expand
  26. Dec 29, 2013
    I write my review to rate this game 0, so seems fun when I can't rate it without typing some words. And review must be at least 150 characters long. Done.
    Update: Are you kidding? "Error 503 Service Unavailable"
    Ok, I'll rate 1 for it.
    Update: Are you kidding again? "Error 503 Service Unavailable"
    Ok, I'll rate 2 for it.
  27. Jan 16, 2014
    The game gets an 8! But +2 to counter the attack of sad russian kids who whine about inaccurate history.
    Get ur facts right, maybe this game is a bit too negative about Russia in WW2 but they were nothing better than the germans!

A bit different form the first game but in a good way i think, lots and lots of hours of fun in the multiplayer!
    BUY IT!
  28. Jun 4, 2014
    I love this game,
    I love this game,
    Company of Heroes was the best RTS for me and CoH2 is even better. Great Atmosphere, great graphic and gameplay. Some Units aren't historical in their strength but that would kill the Balance. The Game runs very stable and without any lag. A German campaign would be great. I think the bad Reviews are from Russian Players who can't accept that the soviets were even bad or worse than the Nazis. So if you liked CoH1, you will love CoH2.
  29. Jun 17, 2014
    It started bad, really bad. But it got better. Nice matchmaking, extremely well balanced and a definetely upgrade since the original CoH. Still, some features were better before, but this is definetely better.

An outstanding RTS worth money. Can't wait for the expansion that, based on the alpha, it will be even greater.
  30. Oct 9, 2014
    The game is very good, including the story. The problem is that the story of the game does not match the stories of the Soviet propaganda films about the war. Russian media called spoil rated this game on this site. Unfortunately, we remain the specter of communism to this day.

P.S. I apologize for my English!
  31. Dec 12, 2015
    the only thing what they can do are dlc"s. no one fix the lags and bugs. i play 30 min then it lags then it crashes again and again and again. what a waste of money
  32. Aug 29, 2015
    Great game to play and enjoy an in-depth historical look at military life under the benevolent Soviet Union. A couple key features I would like to see in the next release (or patch?): 1) Inclusion of Russia's invasion of Poland prior to WW2 (when Stalin was allies with Nazi Germany), 2) some pogroms, pillaging of minority civilians neighborhoods to build wealth and expand gene pool. 3)Great game to play and enjoy an in-depth historical look at military life under the benevolent Soviet Union. A couple key features I would like to see in the next release (or patch?): 1) Inclusion of Russia's invasion of Poland prior to WW2 (when Stalin was allies with Nazi Germany), 2) some pogroms, pillaging of minority civilians neighborhoods to build wealth and expand gene pool. 3) Gulags - free labor by arresting any political dissidents, turning them into a production powerhouse (until they die from starvation, anyway... God bless this game! Expand
  33. Dec 4, 2014
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Still not well balance. Many issues with both factions, however seem more towards Allies. E.g. Recrew exploit of tanks for US? -Stupid ranking system that fails to provide any real satisfaction to progression. -Terrible reward system (Supply Drop) that again fails to provide any sense of progression and keeps giving multiple duplicates of the same item.
    Multiplayer PVP Review

-Questionable updates such as random locations which really limit faction A or B depending on starting location as most maps bias one or the other. An example would be Faceoff at Rostov; Allies could get more boots on the ground and get off the small peice of land onto the large, where as Axis can't and will often end up stuck at the start location with not even a single chance to offer resistance.
    -Some maps seem to heavily biased towards Allies, even more so with the aforementioned update.
    -Horrible matchmaking system that assumes if you're in a party with some friends that you must immediately be pros and pairs you against such (well, it seems that way). Matchmaking definitely needs work. Often get paired with people way outside my skill level.
    -Game still crashes once in a while or desync errors.

Probably many more issues and annoyance I could list, but you get the picture. Whilst I have given the multiplayer a fair go, I do not see any sign of it improving. It seems that Relic is more fixated on milking DLC sales than anything else (this can be seen with the Ardennes DLC giving certain Supply Drops advantages to people who have bought it. I.e Rifleman and Rear Echelon train and replenish 10% faster - this gives already quick US even more of an advantage). With no true progression sytem, dodgy reward system, unfair matchmaking and just other general frustrations, I find it harder and harder to come back to this game. It's a shame really, as I have had some very fierce and close matches that get the adrenaline pumping and I really thoroughly enjoyed the first Company of Heroes, but this game lacks direction and seems a bit of a mess. If you're thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing this game, wait another year or so and pick it up cheap on sale. At least if it isn't twice the game as it is now, you won't feel as robbed.
  34. Jun 12, 2015
    very solid strategy game indeed, it delivers good the atmosphere of WW2, i dont really care if some of things you do in the game never happened and i could care less for the many many people that scream Russia has not done this... how often they showed normal German soldiers as very evil and ruthless in many other games? yeah almost always but if it happens a bit to the Russian everybodyvery solid strategy game indeed, it delivers good the atmosphere of WW2, i dont really care if some of things you do in the game never happened and i could care less for the many many people that scream Russia has not done this... how often they showed normal German soldiers as very evil and ruthless in many other games? yeah almost always but if it happens a bit to the Russian everybody goes crazy, also i cant really rate it higher because of the greedy commanders prices other that that the game is well worth for any WW2 fan.. Expand
  35. Oct 3, 2014
    It seems all the negative reviews are personal opinions and other thoughts still a epic game.

Company of Heroes 2 is a incredible addition and better than its predecessor. Tho i wish they had the america's and brits added into the game they don't, it feels like a step back for me. They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game

They must learned a lot from the first game and its expansion because every time they put out a new game it adds more depth and better gameplay and it shows. CH2 has a good story better graphics and much better campaign the game feels great with new system's and gameplay i cant wait to play the expansions.

Worth $60
  36. Dec 12, 2014
    A very good game, brought down by overpriced DLC fest. It looks very nice, it's cinematic, it's sound assets are very high quality, overall, when compared to vanilla CoH it's better. However, it pales in comparison to modded first game, mods like Blitzkrieg or Europe at War absolutely obliterate it.

Regardless, it is fun to play and if it would've taken the route of first CoH, that is one serious expansion pack, it would've been much better value.
  37. Jan 16, 2014
    I didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke areI didn't like the first CoH really at all but this is way better. My problem with this game is that it's very arcady which isn't what I was looking in a world war 2 RTS so I like Men of War way more but that's personal preference but this is still a pretty ok RTS. So what about the tecnical stuff? This game is quite pretty, not amazingly so but the effects like the explosions and smoke are well made. The optimization isn't great but it's not awful (it's certainly better than the original CoH) I have an average PC (1000 €) and it ran ok. This game has a lot of content to play, versus multiplayer and co-op. You might want to buy this when it's on sale if you're interested in an arcadey world war 2 RTS. Expand
  38. Jan 17, 2014
    After so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm isAfter so many years since the original Company of Heroes, many people, including me feel rather let down by what is on offer in this game. The campaign is pretty standard, and is quite similar to that in the original game in terms of objectives and the level design and the voice acting is decent. The fact that your units can freeze to death and that you must go near fire to keep warm is interesting at first, but the concept gets old and repetitive rather quickly. In many ways the Russians seem like a reskinned USA from the first game. Many units and buildings look underwhelming with the models used in the first game looking much better in comparison. What is even more disappointing is that the game's
    optimization is horrendous. This game looks very similar to the original Company of Heroes and performs terribly. I struggle to get a constant 40fps on low settings on my laptop, and this same laptop gets 60+ fps in the original Company of Heroes with maxed out detail and 50+ fps on high settings in Starcraft 2.

There are some good points of this game though. The Theatre of War game mode is quite interesting as there are multiple challenging missions to complete either solo or with a friend but it does seem a bit of a stretch that you have to pay to play the additional challenges. The integration of Steam Workshop is also quite cool. Your troops can also jump over sandbags now, but honestly is that really game changing?

At the end of the day, Company of Heroes 2 is difficult to recommend. The game is hardly any different than the original Company of Heroes, costs much more and performs terribly. Company of Heroes 2 also lacks clan support and the like, a mechanic that RTS games such as Starcraft 2 implement very well. If you want a great RTS experience I would suggest you pick up Starcraft 2 and its expansion or even the original Company of Heroes for a fraction of the price.
  39. Jan 24, 2014
    Company of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single playerCompany of Heroes 2 is a great follow-up to the hugely successful and influential Company of Heroes. In this installment gamers are taken to the Eastern Front in the battle between the Soviet Union and Germany. Like the first CoH before its expansions, the campaign is Allies only. There are a number of challenge maps, both single-player and cooperative, on each side. But the single player experience is really about prepping gamers to play online.

A number of changes have been made to the formula of CoH. For one, resource points are no longer set, but can be assigned when captured. That is to say all strategic sectors generate manpower to the group that captures them. While the uses of the three main resources are the same, players gain munitions or fuel by locking down a point, which allows fights to be over more than a few critical sectors. On the other hand its makes starving the armor-heavy German faction of fuel a much more difficult ordeal.

Line-of-sight rules have had an overhaul. Now instead of units simply having a fixed vision radius it is affected by terrain and obstructions. This means that infantry can't see over walls and your tanks won't know what's on the other side of that large building. With some of the hilly or forested maps this has brought ambush tactics to the forefront. Such infantry tactics are necessary to secure a Soviet victory. This is especially true since inexplicably tanks traps are no longer in the game. Now that armor can't be bottlenecked reconnaissance and hidden flanking units must be used to their fullest.

As of the time of this writing, while the balance has improved significantly over launch, it is not balanced nearly as well as its predecessor. I do not think this ruins the potential of the game, as I'm sure that early adopters of the first CoH will remember the years it took to balance that game and the re-balancing that was needed with the additional factions of Opposing Fronts and units from Tales of Valor. The trend has been towards a more well balanced game.

Rather than major expansions it seems that CoH2 is opting for a model of incremental DLC. Packs of a few new commanders (which function like trees in the first game) and units are being sold piecemeal. I expect that if there will be any major DLC or expansions it would be the addition of a new faction. However as an Eastern Front game that seems difficult and unlikely. Factions from the Western Front would be out of place (and are covered in the first game) and there is little room for the small-scale tactical ground wars in the Pacific theatre.

Bottom line is if you liked the first CoH I see no reason why this shouldn't be a no-brainer. As long as you remember that the first game wasn't balanced overnight you can have a lot of fun hours playing this game!

Note: I am sticking to giving a fair score of my own, but I will admit there is a part of me that wants to bump this to a 9 or 10 to help overcome the ridiculous number of people giving it a zero. For a game to warrant a zero it would need to be completely non-functional and unplayable, these are just people raging.
  40. Aug 27, 2013
    d said Relic can do better than this. Overall game system is good but multiplayer is disaster. Lobby in COH1 provide a very great opportunity to find equal opponents. However, it not happen in COH2 where u only has automate player finder system, it suck!!. PS. It will be great than this if Relic team comes to fix the bug in COH1 rather than left it behind.
  41. Nov 24, 2013
    whilst I'm not a massive fan of this game I don't think people can really justify giving it a 0 or a 1. I can understand people are offended by the innaccuracies in the story line though so i get why people are pissed

I think CoH1 is better hands down, this game hasn't changed enough for it to be considered a next generation of the game but also hasn't stayed true enough to the last game to warrant it sticking to a working theory.

I've never been big on the Company Of Heroes games but have bought them to support Relic enough to make Dawn of War 3
  42. Dec 3, 2013
    Let me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, youLet me start off with saying I actually enjoyed the game a bit. Being a massive CoH1 fan I am pleased that they tried something new. Though this new gameplay was great for 1 multiplayer match. I found its replay-ability is abysmal. I seriously don't often enjoy sitting down and playing this game, it is the same thing over and over unlike Original CoH. There is only one way to play, you cannot win with Infantry and light armor support like in the original CoH.
    Pro:
    -The gameplay is definitely different, I like that aspect since it required me to learn new tactics.
    -I enjoy the ability to customize your army on both sides and make "loadouts"
    Con:
    -I have found that it is nearly impossible to win as Soviets in PvP
    -I am incredibly disappointed by the lack of Multiplayer options. 500 pt. Victory condition ONLY WTF!!)
    -Day 1 DLC is highway robbery, I dropped $60 so that I could play an improved experience
    -Relic offices have been overrun with developers out of high school and their finance department with e*Trade babies.
    -Lag is horrendous.
    -Replay ability is like a one night stand and you want to keep it that way

Overall Satisfaction I gave it a 5 out of 10 because it is definitely new and interesting. It misses the other half for literally requiring you spend another $40 for more commanders, maps, war theaters etc... IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN AS SOVIETS... unless you are facing some really drunk German Players. Maybe the key to winning as a soviet is to play drunk, and it is likely the developers were intoxicated during 50% of the games development. Overall I give it a thumbs down. I have never had such bad luck playing a faction. The Campaign was just decent... nothing special. I have lost faith in Relic honestly, after this I fear for their financial well-being after this embarrassment.
  43. Dec 10, 2013
    I played COH1, a lot. This is a much shallower game which screams committee build. It needs... skins! and... snow!... and more single player! and... blizzard stop watches!... and a dozen dlc's! Too much fat, not enough game. The AI is painful and yo-yo's between ultra assassin ninja and headless chicken. Balance is still real strange. AT guns seem invulnerable to everything except flames.I played COH1, a lot. This is a much shallower game which screams committee build. It needs... skins! and... snow!... and more single player! and... blizzard stop watches!... and a dozen dlc's! Too much fat, not enough game. The AI is painful and yo-yo's between ultra assassin ninja and headless chicken. Balance is still real strange. AT guns seem invulnerable to everything except flames. Russian tanks ram everything, weird stuff. The 3 is for the fun in beta, I never expected it to get worse after beta. Glad I am only out $20 as opposed to $60+. Big miss here Relic/Sega. Expand
  44. Oct 8, 2014
    Although i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is rightAlthough i never played the original and have only recently started coming back to RTS games I felt this game offered a refreshing change to the usual RTS style yet I feel it could have a better overall base building style. I think the combat although it has the ability to pull me in when things get hectic. I get really annoyed when I sit there thinking how can you not hit him he is right in front of you kill him!

Overall however I really like this game but feel it has a lot of its own faults too. Great graphics, interesting game play. I would recommend to all if on a sale but would not and did not pay £29.99 for it.
  45. Oct 22, 2015
    This game has an extremely fun and addictive multiplayer, guranteed that you feel exhausted after every game more than 30 minutes. Nevertheless this game can give you moments of joy.
  46. Sep 1, 2015
    I have sunk over 300 hours into this game, And a decent amount into the prequel So I feel it's time to give my opinion on this game.

Pros: Lines of sight are much more realistic. It's a nice improvement over the previous game Fun and long battles. I've had games last as long as 3 hours. Wonderful graphics. (A little bit on this in the Con section.) Troops have idle lines, Giving

Pros:
    Fun and long battles. I've had games last as long as 3 hours.
    Wonderful graphics. (A little bit on this in the Con section.)
    Troops have idle lines, Giving them some personality. ("We had a girl back in Aachen that could do it standing on her head! And singing!")
    Weather effects are a nice addition (A little bit on this in the Con section)
    Steam workshop support. Making some DLCs a little less like an obvious choice.
    Decently balanced team wise. (Not perfect. I find the Americans to be the weakest, Especially late game. But, hey. I don't play as them that often so...)
    Challenging Campaign.

Cons:
    Kinda Dumb AI. Late in the game, even expert bots will either: A) Stop producing units, B) Keep all their units in their base, or C) They'll move their troops out 100 yds and then have them retreat for no reason. Also, Bridges. Bots seem to just leave their troops on a bridge effectively blocking it, and you can't do anything to make them move.
    Monstrous PC specs required for a smooth game. Do not get this game if your computer is even remotely considered anything close to a toaster.
    Fairly toxic community, but that's expected with almost team-based every game.
    Time needed to get a War Spoils drop is too long, and you can get duplicates.
    A lot...A LOT of DLC. Extra mission packs, dozens of commanders, dozens of camos, and the camos are split individually among the vehicle classes. Making you buy all three of the same camo if you want it to appear on all of your vehicles
    Lots of RNG when it comes to what happens to a tank on 1 health. Most of the time it destroys the gun, instead of killing the tank, allowing the enemy tank to get away and repair.
    Models have started warping all of a sudden.

Controversy: Holy crap...the amount of people on here offended about the game is too damn high. Makes me kinda wonder where the found info on flowers springing up in the Russians footsteps as they peacefully cared for all of their troops individually...Oh wait, THAT DIDNT HAPPEN. I have done...quite extensive research on the eastern front during WW2...and while this game does take some "unhistorical" liberties (The execution of the soldier who left his post to save his commander)...It's portrayal of the Russian army is pretty accurate. Some soldiers didn't have guns, those that retreated were seen as traitors, and they WERE shot by their own officers, and the Scorched earth policy was a thing. Now before everyone reading this immediately claims I'm Anti-Rus, or Pro-Nazi or whatever, The Nazi's most well known atrocities were on the German home front. The Holocaust, etc. You can't really model that, especially when there's a difference between the government in power (the nazis) versus the army. That's like saying all of the US's soldiers are democrats. Because that's what our president's party is. In battle, the Russians were far more uncaring of their troops, and this is quite obviously shown with the body count, as commanders would just use human wave tactics to overwhelm the germans. And they did kill any polish people that weren't willing to side with them. War isn't politically correct, and games shouldn't have to be in order to be considered to be good.

Overall, It's a very fun game, With a lot of mod support that further adds to the life of the game. However It is very DLC centric, and War spoils system needs some tweaking. It's a decent addition over the first game, and you all need to calm down and do some actual research about the russians during WW2. They're not the Angels you all seem to think they are.
  47. Sep 4, 2015
    Im am really disappointed with the developers, they have made the new Britain pack so strong, of course just to sell, but, the game has lost its orginality. There is no balance in power between the forces. For instance, i picked Germany and it needed 3 medium tanks to destroy a Britain tank, make no sense, expect if they made the tank from diamond. Basically, they have made the new unitIm am really disappointed with the developers, they have made the new Britain pack so strong, of course just to sell, but, the game has lost its orginality. There is no balance in power between the forces. For instance, i picked Germany and it needed 3 medium tanks to destroy a Britain tank, make no sense, expect if they made the tank from diamond. Basically, they have made the new unit pack of Britain so strong, just to sell, but on the other side, destroyed the pleasure of playing this game. Expand
  48. Sep 27, 2015
    I dont understand why so many people disklike this game. I played it already for several years and its still good to play regarding of the age of the game.
    In my opinion, i think most of you didnt even play it for longer than one hour.
    Check my review at www.e-core.org about this game.
  49. Sep 7, 2013
    What is this? What has relic done with company of heroes?

First of all, the graphics are sh*t even if everything is maxed out, and the voice acting is sh*t and the story line is SO far off it's offensive! The weather system is f*ckin dumb and over hyped. The gameplay feels cheap. Overall this game is sh*t. Play CoH1 instead, at least its not overpriced.
  50. Aug 31, 2013
    Political trash. Nothing interesting.
    Scriptwriters don't know what logic and history are it.
    Why are you creating game about if game has name like COMPANY OF HEROES? Who told you this story about USSR in WWII? Nazi Friends? I see.
  51. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is good and I do not understand why that was found in this story, some people, even though I myself Russian. Those who put the game a bad score would remember modern warfare when it was rastrelivat Russian!
  52. Aug 30, 2013
    the first thing i am gonna say is that it is not optimized for PC
    Less maps
    And FPS really drops while playing
    Seriously COH 1 was better than
    I expected more from Relic and they gave us nothing but ****
    Really loved COH 1 but COH 2 piece of
  53. Nov 18, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews.. Most are by Russians who wouldn't know real history if they were shoved into a gulag and made to peel potatoes. This is an exceptional RTS a refined version of the original COH and as historically accurate as a game can get without it being boring. For the RTS fan this is a real treat.
  54. Aug 26, 2013
    Relic shows us not how Germans (SS for example), but Russians are murdering unarmed POW, burning houses with Russian villagers inside, and killing their own fellow soldiers in cold blood. Relic depicts Russians as cruel and primitive barbarians, mocks heroism, sacrifice and death of millions who fought against invaders and defended their homeland. Disgusting! If I were Russian, I wouldRelic shows us not how Germans (SS for example), but Russians are murdering unarmed POW, burning houses with Russian villagers inside, and killing their own fellow soldiers in cold blood. Relic depicts Russians as cruel and primitive barbarians, mocks heroism, sacrifice and death of millions who fought against invaders and defended their homeland. Disgusting! If I were Russian, I would feel offended. I regret I have bought this piece of crap.

Just imagine like Canadians soldiers in COH executing German prisoners, burning French people in houses and killing their soldiers.
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is horrible describing the Russians. Even though I am not Russian myself, nor am I from ex-SSRs, it is just wrong to describe them as the "evil red empire". This is a huge insult to all Russians and Slavic people that participated in the defeat of the Nazis, living or dead. Seriously, relic? I was expecting a lot better!!! This is probably even worse than the Eastern Front mod in terms of game play. Expand
  56. Aug 27, 2013
    Total lies about russians. WHy you think, that they burnt their houses at the start of war? Why you think they are fought against nazis in Stalingrad only because of this order of Stalin? What a stupid
  57. Aug 29, 2013
    Great game. And finally game with REAL HISTORY. Amazing climate, great music and good graphics. And stop whining russians. You were monsters like nazis. Get over it.
  58. Sep 22, 2013
    This is the most overpriced piece of crap ever.

Basically it seems Relic have spent six years adding snow and racism to CoH.

Half the game content is DLC, it is buggy and unfinished really don't waste your money on this tat.
  59. Sep 23, 2013
    Ce jeu est nul, i'histoire présentée est complètement mensongère. Aucun progrès niveau graphique depuis la sortie du première volet (2006 quand même!). A foutre dans les poubelles. (toute façon je n'ai la pas acheté, essayé chez un ami et décidé de ne pas offrir 50€ cette équipe des bras cassés).
  60. Feb 15, 2014
    All the debate about "historical accuracy" is largely irrelevant as it is a GAME based on historical events -- it is not and it does not purport to be an actual historical document. Some people simply cannot move on from that fact.

More importantly, the game itself simply sucks. Surely my personal greatest disappointment of 2013 (with Rome II a close second, thanks SEGA for both!), a degeneration from CoH1. And the argument that "Coh1 wasn't perfect on release either!!!", it certainty wasn't but it had a fundamentally good design core that is lacking in this release.

There are those that say "ride it out and in a few years time they will have patched it into a great (aka finally playable) state". Guess people should ride out their crappy marriages year after year in the hope that finally they'll get their act together and live happily ever fairy tale after also.

Because if you believe it hard enough, then surely it MUST come true, right?
  61. Nov 13, 2013
    Finally game with REAL history! Thanks for make this game, and don't care about stiupid russian girls.. they don't event know own history (russian propaganda..)
  62. Jan 7, 2014
    The average user score is CORRECT, it is about a 2/10. It is such a shame, really, as I have been playing COH since its inception in 2006. The rev 2 version is bugged, crashes often, needs a high end rig and video card, and just plain not balanced. You can't re-bind your keys, the MP often de-synchs, and the list goes on and on. Do I play it? Sure. Is Men of War Assault Squad better? YES
  63. Sep 11, 2013
    Multiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certainMultiplayer: I've had fun in my 400+ matches played so far, but there are some questionable design choices. Blizzards mechanics are unrealistic and terrible for multiplayer. The Commander system has really degraded from the depth and uniqueness of the original. There are these things called "Intel Bulletins" which can be unlocked and work similar to perks in a CoD title by buffing certain units. Most of these bulletins are absolutely useless, everybody good is using the same 10 which is really stale and pointless. But aside from that, the core gameplay is pretty good.

Campaign: This is why the game has a 1.6 user score. Though the missions are pretty fun to play, the plot is just terrible. It should be called Company of War Criminals, because rather than focus on the heroism of the soldiers (there are some instances but few and far between) the whole purpose of the story is to demonize the Soviets. I know the Soviets did some bad things, but even the Russians wouldn't go burning down farm houses with their own citizens inside still inside to "deny the enemy". This franchise is not about war crimes, but if they were going to go that direction they should have showed both sides of the coin. A Russian commentator made a video exposing the campaign for the piece of crap it is, and after it went viral the user score plummeted in hours.

Theater of War: Missions you can play cooperatively or singleplayer. I was skeptical at first but they are quite fun, they are like a full campaign minus the propaganda.

Patches: They are actively patching the game and have really been listening to feedback.

Audio: Great, as usual for Relic games.

Grahpics: The textures haven't improved that much since the original, but they did add a ton of detail to the particle effects.

DLC: $100 worth of DLC just 2 months after release, with much more to come. And I thought EA/Activision were pirates.... #dafuqwereyouthinking

If I were to take in to account the horrid campaign, CoH2 would get a 4/10. But since multiplayer is what makes or breaks this game, I give it a 7/10. Two steps forward and three steps backward from the original, but luckily CoH1 was the highest rated RTS of all time so we are left with a "decent" game.
  64. Oct 6, 2013
    I created this account specifically to warn gamers of how horrible COH 2 is. I LOVED THE ORIGINAL COH! I cant speak for the historical inaccuracies of the story line in COH 2, but I can speak for the game-play. The game-play makes it impossible to play as the soviets outside of the campaign mode. I watched videos on you tube and read countless guides, then I played 30+ games vs AI and lostI created this account specifically to warn gamers of how horrible COH 2 is. I LOVED THE ORIGINAL COH! I cant speak for the historical inaccuracies of the story line in COH 2, but I can speak for the game-play. The game-play makes it impossible to play as the soviets outside of the campaign mode. I watched videos on you tube and read countless guides, then I played 30+ games vs AI and lost almost every time on standard difficulty. The Germans have armor within a few minutes of gaming and you have almost nothing... not even RPGs or Bazookas to stop the armored vehicles. I have never played such an uneven game. I wish I could get my money back. Expand
  65. Oct 8, 2013
    I believe there is only one reason why this game is exist. The reason is that nazi are alive and they have made this game for other nazi. Authors and publishers of this game should be imprisoned.
  66. Oct 10, 2013
    Great parody from Canadians. Apparently, Canadians have their own history books. To those who swallowed this story you can put the appropriate diagnosis. This game doesnt even deserve any points.
  67. Oct 14, 2013
    I cant believe it they made a horrible story out of russian army, some of that, thas was in the game is true but they giving us this like it was the only truth about soviet army. that wery wery dishonorable!!!
  68. Oct 21, 2013
    Gaming is an art, where you can like a book to tell the story. This story is false and degrading everything they fought in the Second World War. Well at least not as shown in the concentration camps of the Nazis take care of the poor Jews and Slavs. While they were killed like animals everybody.
  69. Oct 24, 2013
    To all the dumb out there who believe that the game is created by neo-fascists/national socialists, and further believe that the developers hate Russians need to do a little research before blabber their fat capitalist pig mouths at a perfectly fine game. In fact, I did the research for you all. The Russians did IN FACT kill their if found retreating. This is known as order 227,To all the dumb out there who believe that the game is created by neo-fascists/national socialists, and further believe that the developers hate Russians need to do a little research before blabber their fat capitalist pig mouths at a perfectly fine game. In fact, I did the research for you all. The Russians did IN FACT kill their if found retreating. This is known as order 227, commissioned by commissar Stalin himself. This was to prohibit all further retreat of the communist red army of Russia. My sources are from this little thing called Wikipedia. Please learn to research before you speak. I do not think this game really deserves a TEN, alas to weed out the unfair ratting based on opion of false history, I must give it such.
  70. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is one of the dirtiest, ridiculous and absurd propaganda in the spirit of the Cold War in order to not only distort the historical facts, but also to discredit the heroes of those terrible times
  71. Nov 15, 2013
    Ignore all the idiots who gave this 0 because they failed to understand it is A GAME AND NOT A DOCUMENTARY!

The game is awesome, 99% of the neg reviews are based on the story-line displaying soviets as bad. But here's the thing: this has no impact on game play! Most players will spend 99.9% of their time in the other game modes (online, skirmish etc) The game is beautiful, though

The game is beautiful, though quite demanding on your comp. there is a vast depth of tactical options and decisions to be made as the battle develops. every unit has a counter, every strategy has a weak point. the maps are incredibly detailed and well designed and reward you for good tactical planning and exploitation of their advantages. 'Cold' maps add a tactical depth in timing your attacks

CoH2 can be very challenging which i view as a huge plus for it (best to test your tactics vs computer before going to PvP though)
  72. Dec 3, 2013
    coh2 is a masterpiece, do not listen to the stalin loving butthurted russians, everything on this game is very good my only complain is the system requirements. A message to the russians off
  73. Jul 13, 2015
    So, this game has nice story... for fanfiction, you know. Yes, I'm not kidding, this is wonderful to see, that the writers of this game decided to look at the second world from a different angle. This, perhaps, was done so good just like COH2's plot was written by Pearl Harbor's writers, where Japanese forces attacked the American hospitals, which never was in real life. Eh... At least, inSo, this game has nice story... for fanfiction, you know. Yes, I'm not kidding, this is wonderful to see, that the writers of this game decided to look at the second world from a different angle. This, perhaps, was done so good just like COH2's plot was written by Pearl Harbor's writers, where Japanese forces attacked the American hospitals, which never was in real life. Eh... At least, in this game Russians don't fight with bears. Expand
  74. Jul 30, 2013
    I didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improveI didn't quite understand where all the hate was coming from for this game but I soon found out after playing it. I'll preface this review with the statement that I loved the original game, very innovation and fresh and even the expansions were great. This game while it has improved performance and graphics, plays almost exactly the same as the originals. They did very little to improve the AI pathing/cover system which was lacking in the previous game. The best part of the game is still the combat but many maps and missions felt uninspired and relied on the old formulas that worked in the original and still work here but it would have been nice to see something new beyond snow missions where you sneak around.

The campaign is really bland, a lot of really repetitive missions mixed in with a few interesting ones. The Soviet units are just so bland to use, its like they tried to do something unique with them but then it really didn't work as they expected and it really shows. They feel really weak unless you get a lot of units and do a lot of flanking, then you can take out entire armies with like 3-4 squads which is just as unrealistic as firing on an enemy for 5 min and not having a single shot hit.

The story is absolutely terrible, it plays like the worst cliche of the Soviet era. You feel almost no attachment to the main character and honestly i lost interest in him about half way through leading me to skip cutscenes unrelated to gameplay. They demonize Russians like crazy in this game, as a history graduate from the west, there were some serious inaccuracies in this game related to the treatment of soldiers by the Soviet Union.

Day 1 DLC is another blemish on this game since its not cosmetic crap that you'd expect but rather commanders that play a huge role in multiplayer games, effectively giving players who pay an advantage over those who do not. DLC is a part of todays market but this is another obvious cash grab by the publisher/developer.

Overall, the game is OK. Not worth the day 1 price and honestly it needs more patching to fix the many bugs and net issues. Wait until this one is down to $30 or less before considering it, you'll blow through the campaign in a day or 2, match play online is about as good as it gets for this game.
  75. Sep 19, 2013
    All I have to say about this game: This game is a mixed bag. A bag full of shame, microtransactions in a full priced game, vomit and diarrhea. I just can't imagine what relic was thinking when they said "Okay, these improvements are good (no they're not), make it a 50€ game, and add microtransactions". Thanks.

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I

I checked on the game on release day, and after the atrocius beta version I admit I torrented it down. I knew this game WILL suck balls. Unbalanced, unoptimized and ugly like hell.

Maybe the worst-ever sequel, and worst-ever RTS game, but surely the worst RTS of the 2010s. Even Stalin vs The Martians is better than this.
  76. Aug 14, 2013
    Notice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame onNotice how many 'zero' rank comments all seem to spam the same complaint? Complaints that are unfair to point solely at Relic given the slew of movies, novels and more that depict Russia in the same light. Why not attack those mediums too? Wake up people!... COH2 is not perfect, but it's still an amazing game. Captivating, fun multilayer which is really all that matters.... Shame on those who rate zero that clearly didn't even play the game before voicing their biased opinion! Expand
  77. Aug 21, 2013
    I have no idea why many despise this game so much. Aside for the anti-Russian propaganda, this game is an unbelievable game. Yes I disagree with some aspects of the game, such as day 1 DLC, but still, the game itself is pristine. All the 0 ratings either don't like the game because it doesn't run well on their computer, they don't like the UI, or it's anti-Russian. I can understand theI have no idea why many despise this game so much. Aside for the anti-Russian propaganda, this game is an unbelievable game. Yes I disagree with some aspects of the game, such as day 1 DLC, but still, the game itself is pristine. All the 0 ratings either don't like the game because it doesn't run well on their computer, they don't like the UI, or it's anti-Russian. I can understand the Russian prejudice towards this game, but to everyone else: grow up. Expand
    Sep 4, 2013
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes. I expected Relic shows Red Army as heroes too (btw they were heroes, we dont forgot yet, they stopped most of nazi forces). But what the..? I am extremely disappointed. In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for
    Do not buy, comrade!

I played first CoH where americans were heroes.

But what the..? I am extremely disappointed.
    In game, russian officers are monsters. I know Relic dont collect many information, using first they could find instead. Its a fatal error for people who develop realistic game about history.

Gameplay doesnt change. Completely.
    Soldiers dont jump over obstacles by themselves, are they stupid or what?
    They also never rotate heavy weapons without direct order.
    Truesight, Coldtech, is it all that Relic made for 7 years?
    Missions are same.
    Germans are overpowered, engineers for example.
    Game is less realistic than CoH1.
    And DLC's, the evil of all games, hate!
    Seriously, just keep playing CoH1, it is more interesting.

What I can say about CoH2?
    I NOT recommend this for playing and especially for learning history.
  79. Sep 30, 2013
    I have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, noI have over 300+ hours of coh2(check my steam profile), and i can say DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU AREN'T A CASUAL GAMER. Seriously. This can seems a good rts but in whole is a compared to coh1, for many things, it's an incomplete game full of cheaters and basically when you buy it you get just 20% of the game. P2W commanders with insane prices, theater of war empty or with $$$dlcs$$$, no lobbies, crappy framerate and elo system, automatch sucks, maps sucks, the players of this game sucks and his community. Expand
  80. Mar 28, 2015
    Love this game! I give it only 9 because it didn`t allow me to kick ruski ass in the campaign but atleast in the Theater of war and in the multiplayer. Finally someone has the guts to tell what the rest of the world thinks about Russia.
  81. Dec 28, 2013
    Game distorts the truth about the Soviet Union, the gameplay has not changed compared to the first part of the game, the game is just awful, I got the impression, game CoH2 developers are fans of the Fascists
  82. Dec 25, 2013
    I give this historical masterpiece a 9/10 and I'll tell you why. The solidity and accuracy of the flame textures licking the bodies of innocent civilians really captured my eye while engaging in the Company of Heroes 2 campaign. I was blown away by the accurate depiction of the true nature of USSR war heroes during the second World War. The massacre and destruction depicted in theI give this historical masterpiece a 9/10 and I'll tell you why. The solidity and accuracy of the flame textures licking the bodies of innocent civilians really captured my eye while engaging in the Company of Heroes 2 campaign. I was blown away by the accurate depiction of the true nature of USSR war heroes during the second World War. The massacre and destruction depicted in the historically accurate diamond in the rough was spot on with the scorched earth policy. My only gripe is that the original game had a more compelling story with heart wrenching dialog and characters Expand
  83. Jan 21, 2014
    I'll give Company of Heroes a 4/10 because it's not the worst game ever made, I can think of other games that are more deserving of a 0-1/10 - looking at you Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. However, I (like many other gamers) feel that Company of Heroes 2 just doesn't live up to the expectations of its predecessor.

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been

What has happened to the sophisticated commander tree? It has been replaced by a new commander system with no choice, except you can choose 5 different commander 'perks' before a match, then when you get commander points it'll unlock perks automatically (as each perk has a commander point requirement that, once reached, the perk will instantly become available). Okay, but at least CoH 2 has interesting concept art briefs between each mission right? Wrong. Those concept art briefs - which I, personally, loved and associated with the CoH titles - have been replaced by 30 second longish cut scenes between a lieutenant (who you never see or hear from in the missions) that is going to be executed for desertion and his old commander talking about the war - CoH 2 has replaced exciting and interesting character development and artistic cut scenes for a character you'll never see in-game and mediocre between mission cut scenes. There's almost no continuity between missions, in the original CoH you'd get a patriotic and informative brief (so you know what's going on in the grand scale of things), but in CoH 2 it's a case of; a minute cut scene that says "the Germans attacked Russia" and "they get really close to Moscow", from there on it's a case of go there, kill them, we won, fight them - then the level design and gameplay follows this pattern, so what may seem interesting and innovative to start becomes dull and representative in later missions. Yet another CoH 2 mistake is the lack of units, you'll have 2 units that you'll ever really use, your conscripts (infantry) and the T34s (tanks), that's it, you do have snipers (that for some reason only use stealth while they're in cover) and mortar teams etc but what's the point when they'll just get flooded by infantry and tanks? If you want to fight for the Germans, you better go somewhere else, because the singleplayer campaign is all Soviet - you can play as the Germans in multiplayer. Well, you can also play as the Germans in a new feature called 'Theater of War' which, basically, mini-campaigns with about 2 singleplayer missions and tonnes of co-op missions (which is a welcome feature) - but when I realized that my friends weren't prepared to pay £30 for a sub-par sequel, I was left with about 4 hours of German gameplay, max...

Well... I think I've said all that I can about Company of Heroes 2. In conclusion, I'm not satisfied with Sega's sequel on what was a milestone in real-time strategy games. It has lost its strategy and has replaced it with numbers. And has many little 'features' that'll drive you mad, like units flashing their player colour when they're clicked on and all your recruited units now start off-map so you have to wait for them to come to you. There seems to be a never ending list of what's wrong with CoH 2, it's like they got the designs and features from the original games and said "these are good, but, scrap them and let's start from fresh without taking any inspiration from the originals". Plus CoH 2, to me, seems to have been Sega-fied.
  84. Dec 12, 2013
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

I don't understand why people give this game "0" because it's not historically accurate. And after reading some of reviews how it's inaccurate i see that they are even further from truth. it's not so good game as CoH was but it's not bad, especially if you have Friends to play with (like i do) i would give it 6-8
    If you talk about history DON'T bend it!! (both to reviewers and Relic)

i would give it 6-8 most likely 8 for new as they have just given us modding tools, but i don't have any dlc's
  85. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is great. The detail is the best you'll get in an RTS today, and that's a breath of fresh air from the many games about building the biggest army and seeing who can rush the enemy base the fastest. Cover and upgrading units are a MUST or you'll be overwhelmed quite easily. Relic also did a great job with the two factions, Germans and Russians, which both play differently. TheThis game is great. The detail is the best you'll get in an RTS today, and that's a breath of fresh air from the many games about building the biggest army and seeing who can rush the enemy base the fastest. Cover and upgrading units are a MUST or you'll be overwhelmed quite easily. Relic also did a great job with the two factions, Germans and Russians, which both play differently. The Germans rely on high firepower and training while the Russians rely on their great numbers and harrassment to overwhelm enemies. In the right hands both factions can be played effectively, and contrary to popular belief the Germans do not have the advantage (just watch Sundaynightfights on Twitch).

Where the game lost its points was the fact they were doing microtransactions for commanders the week the game came out! Being a hardcore Relic RTS vet, I bought CoH2 the night it came out full price (60$) but I was dismayed (PISSED) to see that there were a lot of commanders you had to buy. WHY?! If I paid 60$ for a game I want everything it releases with! This isn't even the commanders that game with the Delux version, which I can let slide because if you're going to pay extra for a delux version then you should get a little more but no. These were just regular old microtransactions available to anyone willing to shell out 3-6$ more than the 60$ they already paid. I would've taken off more if not for the recent update including 2 free commanders (made by the community) which isn't redemption, but its a step in the right direction. I am also quite disappointed in the DLC for the theatre of war as they just seem too short for something so easy to make, however I can let those slide since they were fun and the map-builder tool was recently released.

I wanted to give CoH2 a perfect score so badly. The campaign was well done with good pacing and fun scenarios, especially the stealthy/sniper stages (although I REALLY wish they did more snow stages). Also, I don't understand why everyone is so up in arms over the story. It's not the greatest by all means, but its not bad. Hell, the original CoH had less story than this. However, they could have improved the campaign by a lot. For instance, a branching campaign story could have EASILY been implemented through the use of the commander system such as using certain commanders in the stages would have different outcomes in the battle and story between stages. Also doing certain side objectives could have drastic outcomes in battle and story (Because the side objectives actually rarely had any benefits). See? That would've been LOADS better than a linear story Still though. It is a fun 14 mission campaign that leaves more to be wanted, but still delivers fun moments.

All in all, if you're looking for a fun tactical RTS with loads of depth Buy CoH2. Its a great game and now that the price dropped 20$ (its now 40$) I would recommend it to anyone. I had to take off from the score due to the stupid micotransactions from the start and the lack of innovation in the story arc, but I still would give this game a SOLID 8/10 because its gameplay is the best out of any RTS on the market.
  86. Jan 17, 2014
    The game is pretty good. It's not perfect of course. Graphics are very nice and the game runs very smooth on maximum settings. The gameplay is unique and fun.
    All those negative reviews comes from russian fascists who falsificates history. Red army were no heroes, they were scum, same as nazis. Neither of them are winners. So thanks to developers for not falsificating the history.
  87. Feb 1, 2015
    Company of heroes 2 was great online. Sadly nowadays everyone just builds blobs of units and attack blindly. The game is verry repetetive this way and the devs dont seem to care. There are a lot of suggestion on forums of how to fix this problem but nothing has been changed in the past 6 months. Cover, suppression it all doesnt really matter annymore just build a huge blob and walk rightCompany of heroes 2 was great online. Sadly nowadays everyone just builds blobs of units and attack blindly. The game is verry repetetive this way and the devs dont seem to care. There are a lot of suggestion on forums of how to fix this problem but nothing has been changed in the past 6 months. Cover, suppression it all doesnt really matter annymore just build a huge blob and walk right through the ennemies defences... Expand
  88. Oct 4, 2013
    they took the RTS CoH and made it arcade.
    this game is close to nothing as good as the first one. the base-building is pretty much the same, but the rest is inferior to the original.
    they took the RTS CoH and made it arcade.
    it really doesnt matter what tank you build to counter the enemy's vehicle, it's all about luck in this arcade-made version of CoH1, which I cherished wholeheartedly. squad-control is sluggish at best, it's close to impossible to make soldiers stand exactly where you want them to stand. dodging grenades/molotovs/MG:s at the last second is out of the question. the new "vision-system" that was introduced makes chasing down enemy tanks with your own tank impossible. the weather-effects are boring and makes the whole match pause, no one dares to move, nothing more dramatic than that.

before strategic points meant that you had to hold them in order to secure the resource point that you held, now you're better off holding only strategic points as they give you both resources.

to conclude it: this game is a disgracing, arcade-version of CoH1. If you like cinematic features, go ahead and buy it. if you actually enjoyed this game because you wanted to out-maneuver the enemy and see his shells bounce off your tiger's front armor, play CoH1, because now everything penetrates everything.
    is this still in beta?
  89. Oct 12, 2013
    superbe jeu l' Ia est plus difficile que dans le premier opus et les graphisme sont bien amélioré l' histoire se suit et est très réussi jouer
  90. Oct 23, 2013
    well...to be honest, under the highest image quality settings the game's Ambient Occlusion, blizzard effect and rendering system are pretty “Essence 3.0." But the general fact is that most of coh2 players confront horrible performance issue- the optimization sucks, my GTX 670 only could run the game with frame rate of 30-45. And the protagonist in the campaign annoys me a lot, by creatingwell...to be honest, under the highest image quality settings the game's Ambient Occlusion, blizzard effect and rendering system are pretty “Essence 3.0." But the general fact is that most of coh2 players confront horrible performance issue- the optimization sucks, my GTX 670 only could run the game with frame rate of 30-45. And the protagonist in the campaign annoys me a lot, by creating fake historical resemblance such as they burned their farmland. I have just finished the campaign and I expect more on map balancing in multiplayer games(hopefully the relic had fixed many bugs in some unbalanced map by October).
    Finally I really want a boost-up driver for Nvdia graphic cards, we need a better optimization.
  91. Nov 5, 2013
    CoH was my favorite RTS game ever. Then we get new CoH with a little better graphics, new system for winter and nothing more... but you know what? It's my new favorite RTS! CoH 2 touched unknown (maybe for people from e.g. US) topics from WW2 like USSR officers ruthlessness to Polish insurgents or to their own soldier whom didn't want to execute the command to leave someone to die.CoH was my favorite RTS game ever. Then we get new CoH with a little better graphics, new system for winter and nothing more... but you know what? It's my new favorite RTS! CoH 2 touched unknown (maybe for people from e.g. US) topics from WW2 like USSR officers ruthlessness to Polish insurgents or to their own soldier whom didn't want to execute the command to leave someone to die. Everyone who are interested in history must play this game! Expand
  92. Nov 6, 2013
    Don't let butt hurt Russians put you off, they for some reason think a game set in WW2 has to abide to their warped nationalistic view of the past.

The game is excellent. The campaign is entertaining and places the player in many different scenarios from massive tanks battles to lone sniper missions. The CO-OP is a great edition to the series and something more RTS games should focus on.

The MP is solid as the first COH and only gets better with new content and fixes being released at a steady rate.

Want to play the best RTS with loads of content, look no further.
  93. Nov 16, 2013
    Company Of Heroes-2-Hack

the first and the best hack for company of heroes 2
    i find it on google has a survey but it`s a free survey
    tnx
    best hack for company of heroes 2
  94. Nov 22, 2013
    Decent gameplay, but due to the limited factions, it suffers from worse repetition that the Dawn of War series. Some units are atrociously overpowered early in the game, such as the flame halftrack which is more effective at killing infantry than the ability to run them over found in the Command and Conquer series. Snipers are only useful in groups of 3-5 squads. Single squads will oftenDecent gameplay, but due to the limited factions, it suffers from worse repetition that the Dawn of War series. Some units are atrociously overpowered early in the game, such as the flame halftrack which is more effective at killing infantry than the ability to run them over found in the Command and Conquer series. Snipers are only useful in groups of 3-5 squads. Single squads will often die before killing more than one unit due to their extremely high miss rate. Tanks are very hit and miss. Overall it's a fun time killer, but nothing I would sink weeks into.

Now, the controversial story, and the reason for the 3 rating. I'm American, and even I know that the story line is an extreme exaggeration of what occurred during WWII. It's like if someone took what the troops at Gitmo did and applied it to the entire US armed forces, then claimed the Americans were cowards since we entered the war only after Germany was already beaten harshly. The US forces committed many of the same atrocities as the Soviets on a relative scale. We rounded up Japanese-Americans and locked them into internment camps, and don't even get me started on the McCarthyism and the Truman Doctrine that treated anyone that didn't agree with the US as war criminals to be locked away, got millions of people killed, and still causes major economic problems today.

So, take the story with a grain of salt, it's an exaggeration of historically accurate events, which does not mean the plot is historically accurate.
  95. Nov 30, 2013
    For one, who plays COH for the campaign? I didn't even play it till i heard all the mudslinging. And on that note the multiplier is very good, not as good as the first, but still very good and i can see it getting much much better with the development of the branches and patches/expansions. And the history major in me feels the need to correct the crap being written. All i will say thatFor one, who plays COH for the campaign? I didn't even play it till i heard all the mudslinging. And on that note the multiplier is very good, not as good as the first, but still very good and i can see it getting much much better with the development of the branches and patches/expansions. And the history major in me feels the need to correct the crap being written. All i will say that there were 20,000 Polish officers were executed. 200,000 Estonians killed after soviet take over (20% of total population), 300,000 (1/3rd) Estonians were effected by deportations (via rail cars, ironically),purges and other acts of repression. 780,000 Lithuanians were killed (1/2 of whom war refugees) and 17,000 deported and if could continue with the Ukraine, other Baltic states, and Poland, but you get the idea. Russians didn't kill Russians, no. But the Baltic states wanted to be independent and were willing to fight, and so was Stalin in order to establish SSR's in their territory... Expand
  96. Nov 30, 2013
    Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1Huge fan of the style of play. Don't have the patience/attention span to mine resources? This game uses a great territory format to gain resources which puts more focus on unit positioning and maintaining map control. Significantly better than CoH1. The game is far more realistic. It is a game of attrition, one should avoid loosing any units. People that complain are so used to CoH1 exploits that simply don't work in this game, because of this they flip out. The amount of extra features compared to the original really sets it apart making it a new game with the same basic feel/outline. Significantly more thought went into this than Star Craft 2 which is essentially the same as Star Craft 1 but better graphics, a few new units and slight changes to Zerg. Do not understand why this game is not looked up to significantly more then Star Craft. Expand
  97. Jan 26, 2014
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

The campaign was too much to bear, it's as if the script for this game was written jointly by Winston Churchill and Joseph McCarthy. I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would
    Couldn't stomach the propaganda.

I was really looking forward to this game, it proclaimed to show where the majority of WWII was fought: on the Eastern Front. Had it told it from a Russian and/or anti-imperial prospective (AKA "fact based"), it would have been a riveting game. You would have learned how the USSR saved civilization from a New Dark Age by defeating the Nazi's at Stalingrad; how aspects of the Imperial UK sought to foment fascism by financing Hitler (read "Facts and Fascism" and "The Anglo-American Establishment"); how the UK elites got the war going and how they did everything they could to delay the US from opening a second (Western) front; how the Soviets supported the legitimate republican government of Spain against Franco; and much more. Real history is, in fact, incredibly interesting, but you'll never learn those things from this game--because here in the West, spineless wretches rule supreme, and nobody has the gall to stand up for historical truth.

We see, this game being one of countless examples, that Imperialism is everywhere. It is in everything you read, everything you see, everything you consume. Everywhere the fear exists of being ostracized for going against the "Establishment". If the game-designers at Relic thought that this era of history was worthwhile in observing, as it secured Liberty and Freedom for future generations (as it did) then what a disgrace that these spineless eunuchs would then abstain from exercising their rights to speech so willingly.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. The same level of mental and intellectual degeneration that made this game into a shameless piece of imperial apologetic propaganda also made the game-play infinitely inferior to the original.

It's almost as if you can see the decline of the West mirrored in the intellectual produce it creates.
  98. Dec 7, 2014
    Company of Heroes Online was great, selecting a commander and unlocking special abilities to help in taking on other players made that game great. Earning enhanced abilities such as a 5% increase in a snipers range for once match made it interesting as well. Players had some sense they were earning and accomplishing something.

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play

Company of Heroes 2 looks good but I lost my desire to play it almost immediately. Playing the game seems to unlock little to nothing. The story mode really is not that interesting to keep me excited to play the next chapter.

I do not understand how obvious the disappointment is and yet the critics love this game, they either did not play the online version or they played one chapter within the new game and wrote a review based on it.

Company of Heroes Online was the best game I played from this series and it is a shame that it will never come back in the same format. We may see the online version again but it will likely not contain the same format. Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault looks to have some features of the online game but I will not spend any money to find out after shelling out so much for CoH2.
  99. Dec 27, 2014
    absolute over priced rubbish, the multi player is so out of balance its a joke.. Regardless of how cheap make it, its not worth it. And the only real DLC is a single player expension.. Not that steam tells you, they tell you it includes the original game which is a outright lie
  100. Jan 9, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing the first Company of Heroes and really enjoying it I purchased the second version expecting big things.

The first game seemed to nail the allowable zoom so that it could be played like a strategy but the second is only focused on zooming in as far as possible so you can relieve yourself to the level of detail the designers went to looking at the sky and trees and the snow falling. This makes your units more like a series of linked first person shooters stitched together in the map operating independently of each other to create an unplayable Frankenstein monster of a strategy game.

The structures seemed to look better in the first i.e. the HQ for one and the units deploy from the place where you expect as opposed to wandering on from any number of positions on the map only delaying deployment further.

Adding more playable countries sounded great but it actually made the game more confusing as allot of the options in the first were removed such as the snipers, tank traps and machine gun emplacements which were key in holding territories. This just made me more frustrated as the zoom was so far in its impossible to move your troops in a meaningful way to use them as a replacement to the original defences.

The new game map is tacky and overly colourful and the transition button is non existent in some campaign's.

I would have been more happy to have just purchase a multi-player map update for the first than to have paid money for this piece of crap which seems to have in every way possible made a beta version which pales by comparison to the first and yet I still desperately want to find a reason to like it but unfortunately I find playability to be of paramount importance and level of detail should come second in strategy games.

After finishing a couple rounds of Company of Heroes multi-player maps I find myself stupidly opening the second version and trying to play a LAN game. I cant seem to keep the second opened longer than 5 minutes before exiting to windows. I recommending un-installing the game altogether its a waste of 13 GB of HDD space. I don't think I will feel good about this game until its in the $1 bin so I can use them as an alternate to clay targets. I can promise anyone that finding creative ways of destroying the DVD will be more enjoyable than the game itself. THEY SHOULD HAVE STOPPED AFTER THE FIRST!

1. Pelit (Finland)