8.6

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Absolutely necessary addition to CK2 and well-made as well, but charging £9.99 for it is simply ridiculous. Reformation of pagan religions a very good idea but it still lacks ability to create custom-made empires.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    TOG gives you a whole new set of rules, mechanics, and scenarios with which to create a fantastic, immersive narrative while in a sandbox-style game. If you liked the previous major DLC expansions, this one's a must-have (by far my favorite), probably adding the most content of any DLC yet-released. Religions, pagan religions, and even vassals are now all dramatically more fleshed-out,TOG gives you a whole new set of rules, mechanics, and scenarios with which to create a fantastic, immersive narrative while in a sandbox-style game. If you liked the previous major DLC expansions, this one's a must-have (by far my favorite), probably adding the most content of any DLC yet-released. Religions, pagan religions, and even vassals are now all dramatically more fleshed-out, with CK2 now being a large handful of games' content all in one. Paradox also started adding many more context hints in this game, explaining certain effects which are temporary (for example previously, there were many actions which'd affect an NPC's opinion for x years, but the game never hinted at that now it gives specific durations for actions which affect opinion).

I agree TOG does introduce a lot of questionable balance choices, though... In TOG's start date, there are a good few nations able to totally dominate the map within a couple decades, no matter which difficulty level you're playing at. Playing Norse effectively voids out the entire casus belli system (particularly if setting ambition to claim a kingdom) as you can declare wars against just about anyone for large pieces of territory for rapid, dramatic expansion.

Rebellions have been revamped as well, and now are more along the lines of what's in Victoria II (though this mechanic still isn't nearly as complex as in V2). I'm not sure it really adds any benefit to the game other than flavor and some more chaos, which keeps the game from feeling stale. Some rebellions will require even large states to hire mercenaries and call in allies to defeat, which increases the risk of expanding exponentially faster than you assimilate newly-conquered lands.

AI seems significantly improved, as NPCs seem more prone to aggressive expansion, quickly gobbling up tens of smaller states in a handful of years, than working up to defeating the larger ones which might not be historical so much, but is more balanced considering this is what players do. The Independent States tab in the ledger shrinks pretty quickly with time, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

The DLC introduced a few new bugs, but mostly only text-related, and I haven't yet experienced a crash playing TOG for ~30 hours. For instance, sometimes choices in dialogue options won't show effects or who's affected, only icons, and there seem to be many more instances where a character's name is replaced with something like "text_consort_titlename."

I'll also state support for how Paradox does DLC content, with fluffy stuff (new portraits and song packs) being sold for a buck or two, but with all the core changes being included in the main DLC. It lets me choose which content I want and don't want based on which nations/regions fit my usual playstyle. There's no invasive DRM, and the prices are very reasonable, so I'm a huge fan of Paradox's respect in general toward customers.

1. Sep 23, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    The Old Gods does just about everything you could ask for in a sandbox strategy game expansion, and with far fewer initial bugs and technical issues that any previous release of the series. [Aug 2013, p.75]
  3. Jul 2, 2013
    It would have been cool if every nation added in The Old Gods got the same detailed treatment as the ones from the Legacy of Rome expansion, but still, this is a fascinating journey into the unforgiving Dark Ages.