• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Apr 24, 2009
7.8

1. Sep 21, 2012
    This game i found to be slow to start but as the game wore on it became addicting. The story line was beautiful and this game had me jumping in my seat at certain times in the game. Overall it was a great game
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    The only problem with this game is its advertising. It's advertised to be a first person horror shooter and puzzle adventure. In fact, it is none of that. It takes place in the first person perspective, you shoot things, monsters run at you and can kill you quickly and the atmosphere is heavy, and there are puzzles. But all of that is minuscule. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason is aThe only problem with this game is its advertising. It's advertised to be a first person horror shooter and puzzle adventure. In fact, it is none of that. It takes place in the first person perspective, you shoot things, monsters run at you and can kill you quickly and the atmosphere is heavy, and there are puzzles. But all of that is minuscule. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason is a mystery game. Everything about the game, from graphics to lighting to monsters to cutscenes, is part of the environment that tries to tell a story. These pieces of information scattered about are all for piecing together of the absolute most amazing tale in video game history. Symbolism is heavy and atmosphere is so thick you can cut it with a knife. It's not just a game, but a spiritual experience. It shows more than any other release that games are art and a valuable storytelling medium. Buy it, at least if you make sure your computer can run it. Expand
  3. Oct 1, 2011
    The best of the game, getting the dive, the sublime ambience, the scares that gives the game (much more than Dead Space), the sound gets acongojarte, all without music, which is a great merit (a Unlike other games like Silent Hill that base much of their potential in the excellent music), the pace of play, how to get into the story, graphics, * the original so they have establishedThe best of the game, getting the dive, the sublime ambience, the scares that gives the game (much more than Dead Space), the sound gets acongojarte, all without music, which is a great merit (a Unlike other games like Silent Hill that base much of their potential in the excellent music), the pace of play, how to get into the story, graphics, * the original so they have established the''life''in the game, continuously seeking warmth to avoid being cannon fodder, the visions that has the protagonist, the realism of the guns.

Fantastic game, one of the best games I've played in recent years.
  4. Feb 6, 2012
    I have just finished this game and I must say I enjoyed it immensely. Not particularly scary, but it does have some GREAT moments and gameplay sections that will you'll remember long after finishing the game. If you enjoy something deeper in your game and expect something "different" from a first-person perspective, this is a must-play really.
  5. May 30, 2012
    Story:
    Story:
    The game does a very good job with the story as it is not cliche written or simplistic good and bad. The characters are complicated and have their faults that leads to the situation they are in. They are written as imperfect human beings that can be liked despite the bad choices they may make. There is no good or evil, just people in a unfortunate situation. The past segments really had me caring for the crew and feeling sorry for the predicament they were in. It lead to me to being compelled to do a good job to save everyone. Also, it does a good job in showing how the crew was handling things and what they experienced that you could care for them despite being nameless. I wish could learn more about the generic crew members and how they felt. The story is complicated and confusing at first that can take a second play-through to piece everything together. It will make sense in the end with no loose holes in the story and a satisfying ending. To me the story is some of the best I have seen in gaming. Just for the story alone is the game worth owning.

Game play:
    The game is in first person where at first 1/3 of the game you will be using melee weapons until you get a firearm. I should talk about the meters on the bottom left corner of the screen. The small red meter is your health which can be recharged by being warmed up by heat. The big red meter is the heat meter which will recharge your health to high high your temperature is. The yellow bar on your meter is your stamina bar which affects how many attacks you can do in a session and how long you can run. There are not too many times where you need to run though, you can save your stamina for melee weapons or a quick doge when needed. The heavier the melee weapon, the more stamina will be used and the longer the attack animation will be. You can do combos and attack differently depending on what direction you move while attacking. Guns don't use stamina but are old, have no cross hairs, and reload slowly. You can look down the iron sites to aim accurately though. The bolt action rifles and the semi-auto rifle fire slowly, and the SMG uses a lot of ammo to kill someone. It can feel a bit sluggish when using guns though you don't have to use them often. There is a water gun you get halfway through the game if you install the patch that is quite a game breaker as it stuns the enemy while you hurt them and you can get plenty of ammo in the form of icicles.

The game is linear with 18 chapters to complete. During the game you will come across bodies which you can jump in to change their past before they died. These segments are generally easy though you can't save in the middle of them. Some of them are difficult where you need to really pay attention in order to get through. The monsters you face are strange and unusual with some being creepy . The atmosphere in the levels is gripping and pulls you into the creepiness of what has become of the ship and the crew. Many of the levels are long and difficult with the last 3 levels being very short. The game took me about 16 hours to complete. It never felt tedious to me and always compelled me to continue on. Graphics:
    The graphics in Cryostasis are amazing. On the highest setting, they are amazing with realistic water effects and ice freezing. The water flows in a realistic way when thawing that it can look real. The way the ice crumbles to pieces is neat as you see the little pieces fall part on to the ground and stay there and can be adjusted too in the ini settings. The animations for enemies look very natural and feel real and smooth that even your own fighting animations can be timed in rhythm. If you play the game with PhysX on, the graphical effects are even more amazing. PhysX didn't seem to support anything below shader 4.0 with no window mode. This game has a reputation of having some of the best graphics, comparable with Crysis on the PC. However, it has no multi-core support so it can be rough on all but the high end computers in the 3.0 ghz range

Sound:
    There is no music in the game and it's all atmospheric effects. This can create an uneasiness to the atmosphere when exploring the environment an helps keep you in the mood no matter what you are doing. So even combat does not ruin the horror but adds to the tension. The sound effects are great from the blowing of the wind, to the power turning on, to the swoosh of a weapon swing. The gun sounds are authentic and sound powerful like you are using a real gun. The voice acting for the game is surprisingly good even if it is in English. The Russian accents are not silly where they will ruin the atmosphere but sound possibly like what a real Russian person speaking English would sound.

Conclusion:
    You can get this game on steam, DRM free on GOG for $10, DRM free on GamersGate for $13 or you can find it DRM free as a physical copy somewhere. Overall, I would recommend this game to experience great atmosphere and story.
  6. Oct 28, 2013
    Only 69/100 from officials? This is highly underrated pc game. Very weird and unique stuff. Story is very good and end of the game is quite epic. Visual effects are cool and well used. Bad things are the usual, monotonous fights and no secrets at all; lack of extras in gameplay. But as said, this is very weird and unique game, in a good way.
  7. Jul 8, 2013
    I played this game without reading any reviews beforehand, which is incredibly rare for me. This sort of vacuum gave me a larger berth to overlook the glaring faults in this game and enjoy the absolutely stellar other parts.

First and foremost, the environments in this game are dull and boring, and you WILL get tired of them quickly. Do not let that stop you from playing this amazing

Do not let that stop you from playing this amazing game.

At full spec, the game looks good enough to make the boring environments justifiable, and they do make sense in the space of the story.

And that's where this game shines- story. Compelling, addicting. You, from the first moments of the game, become desperate to figure out what has happened, and what is going on. It also has pretty amazing voice acting considering this is a foreign title.

The gameplay is a little rough, but that's the realism of the old-school fisticuffs and bolt-action rifle work. It's slow and clunky, but you're going to be slow and clunky in -30 degrees F weather using a 50-year-old Mosin Nagant rifle, so I liked that bit.

The flashback mechanic really makes the game shine. The trial-and-error element coupled with a break from the repetitive environs and horrifying enemies is a nice departure, and the game wouldn't work without it.

That brings me to another point- although there aren't many kinds of them, the enemies are TERRIFYING. Never in a game have I dreaded so much fighting "the enemy" as I have this game. They creep me out to my core.

Overall, the game has its rough points, but they're all justifiable. The artistic elements, terrifying enemies, solid voice work, compelling story, and temperature mechanics make this game shine like no other.
  8. Jul 3, 2013
    Ukrainian developers have created an amazing atmosphere of his game. Cold, loneliness, fear all this has to overcome the main character, his way with a team of merchant ships, which led to the catastrophe. Separately deserves graphics in the game even now she is amazing. There's the real physics of water, which is not present in a single match. Bravo and thanks to the developers for theUkrainian developers have created an amazing atmosphere of his game. Cold, loneliness, fear all this has to overcome the main character, his way with a team of merchant ships, which led to the catastrophe. Separately deserves graphics in the game even now she is amazing. There's the real physics of water, which is not present in a single match. Bravo and thanks to the developers for the high quality of the game. Expand

1. Design flaws and the game's tendency to wax philosophical do not distract from the core idea and its stylish execution. This is what Vivisector, Action Forms' previous project, should have been like.
  2. Cryostasis is a brave, fascinating, often very beautiful game, but I find it impossible to recommend it - and not least because it runs like an exploded dog on most PCs. It's not quite creative enough - its environments fall into a monotony of samey rooms and bulkheads - and its combat is too clunky to be delicious.
  3. Cryostasis is a kind of revelation in the horror genre where you can alter the past to change the present. Game excels in visuals but lacks in combat system. [Feb 2009]