LEVEL (Czech Republic)Damnation is a useless action game especially for core gamers. If only the developers had fulfiled their promises, we could have had a pretty cool game. Now you can enjoy the vertical architecture and nothing more. [May 2009]
PC Zone UKDamnation is so deeply generic and boring, so it gets the sort of mark that it deserves. [Aug 2009, p.71]
Damnation fails at pretty much everything it attempts to do. The story has never heard of coherence, climbing shouldn't be attempted if the gamer wishes to retain his sanity, bullets might as well be thrown with Rourke's bare hands and visually, Damnation could've been entirely in grey and nobody would notice the difference.
Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 77 Ratings
JonasWJun 10, 2009I think the gameplay is very good, I don't care of the reviews. After my point of view, I think it's a really good game.
Sep 8, 2013The campaign for this game is definitely meant to be played co-op, since I would imagine that it would be pretty boring playing single-player.The campaign for this game is definitely meant to be played co-op, since I would imagine that it would be pretty boring playing single-player. The story and the varied gameplay make it fairly interesting from beginning to end, but it can get tedious at certain points. The campaign is way too easy, which can make for a boring playthrough, but the weird, choppy game mechanics would have made a hard difficulty very frustrating. The cutscene graphics look horrendous, like something from a ps2-era game, but the in-game graphics are average for a 2009 title.
I just wonder why this spent so much time in development from the 2006 release of the Damnation mod for UT2004, to this 2009 release, based on the UT3 engine. It was worth the $1.50 I paid for it though.… Full Review »
Dec 29, 2011This game has good things and a few bugs that spoil the gamefun. The things that should not be in the final game are: - animation when hitThis game has good things and a few bugs that spoil the gamefun. The things that should not be in the final game are: - animation when hit feels and looks not as a finished product. Things that could be improved: - A bit too easy to play. It plays like a shooter in third person view.
- The controls are ok, some people complain about it, but I find it ok.
- The A.I is basic, the enemies do hide away after getting hit.
Good things about the game:
- The greying out, without a health-bar is cleverly incorporated. Let's the player focus on the action.
- The game is diverse. Platform, shooter, Bike to race to the next place. The bike riding takes a bit of practise. After that you can speed throught. Gives a nice feeling of speed.
- The world is nicely drawn.
- Can take 3 types of guns/rifles with you. Can switch between them.
- As a man I do like the playable female chars. =)
- The western setting with 20th century robots and weapons is refreshing.
I played most great games and this game does not shine like those top games, but does not deserve a place among the worst games. It's still enjoyable. They could have made this game much better. The potential is there.… Full Review »