8.7

1. Dec 16, 2013
    This Game i played after its Release on PC. Its guranteed one of the MOST UNDERRATED GAMES OF ALL TIME. it should at least have a score of 86+ all in all.
    The Game is based on Source Engine and in thoses Time (around 2007) it was definitl the BEST RPG Action experience on the market. i am gonna give it a 10 here, because im annoyed of thos stupid 72 metascore it has, probably because
    some stupid game mags tested buggy beta versions or whatever.

Have a look at Youtube, it amazing how many Plyers share my opinion about this game.
    Okay, its linear and by far not that big and open as skyrim. But hell yeah! its by far older and was never such a big one. its a real Insiders, hot tipp. Everyone who loves a small, linear, fast paced, action oriented and scary RPG will LOVE this brilliant game that gibes u 3 superb completely different character classes!

AND PLEASE: METACRITIC REMOVE SOME OF THESE UGLY NONSENSE CRITIQUES!!! PLEASE!
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    Played this game all the way through many times and still enjoy it every time....didn't have any of the problems described in these reviews....don't know what happened with the versions you guys were playing but mine worked great....
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    This game... its so fun! BUT the major flaw is when the game was released. I remember buying this game and couldn't play it because it crashed after competing the tutorial level (prologue). After some patches and fixes the game finally worked for me and DAMN, that have been fun. The physics are weird but really fun, there are plenty ways of killing a single enemy. Or you can be boring and kick them into spikes or some other insta-kill environment. The story itself is actually interesting IMO, I won't spoil anything but you can alternate the ending, it isn't a huge different but still great.
    The fighting mechanics is fun! really fun, probably the best part of the game. I know the game is easy sometimes but its still fun! It really depends on how you play the game, the boring way with insta-kills and getting through the game as fast as possible, or having fun and exploring the world. Btw there are a lot of secrets in this game, some that might benefit you later on.
    There are some bugs and glitches but they aren't a huge problem, you might get stuck now and then and the AI is kind of horrible. But that's what makes the game fun! except for your companions AI, that's horrible and bad.
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    There are a few reasons this got mixed reviews. The largest is that it's not similar to any other Might and Magic game. The lore is the same, and the story fits, but the gameplay is a complete departure from the usual series. I'm guessing that alienated some of the fans, but I far prefer ARPGs, so the change in style is a positive imo.

The game is terribly buggy until you get the latest
    patch, but with the latest patch (1.02), all of the serious issues are fixed. I'm not counting that against the score anymore because it's simply stupid to rate a game down for issues that have already been fixed.

Imo, Dark Messiah is excellent. Voice acting is poor at times, but fortunately it's quite good for Leanna and Xana (the two companions and romance options who have 90% of the total dialogue). The combat is deeper than the typical ARPG, and there's a heavy emphasis on using the environment to kill opponents. In fact, if you don't take advantage of alternate tactics the fights will last a long time and sap your health. It's much quicker to throw an urn of oil at someone and kick them into a fire than it is to simply slash at them repeatedly. I suspect this is where some complaints came from. Some people end up slowly grinding through every fight, because they won't accept that they need to think fast and use varied tactics to beat enemies efficiently. I can't stress this enough; it simply is not effective to spam attacks on someone's shield. Instead, throw a shovel at them and beat them down while they're distracted. Etc. The combat reminds me of Zeno Clash+Skyrim.

I can't fault Dark Messiah for requiring some intelligence on the player's end.

On to other aspects, there are a lot of hidden areas in zones that add replay value. Add variable endings and several relevant difficulty modes, and there's a lot of potential for at least a few playthroughs. Replayability and game length is huge for me. Since I'm in college and I don't have infinite cash, it doesn't make sense to spend $20-50 on a game for just a few hours of entertainment.

At times, Dark Messiah incorporates parkour and climbing aspects to offset its combat, and in general it works very well. My only complaint in that regard is that I wish the climbing was a bit more fluid. I play at 60 fps on a full gaming rig with a high-precision mouse, and even then it was sometimes difficult to maintain control of the character while vaulting between windows.

The story is decidedly average. The first time I played it, I wasn't really sure what was going on. I just knew Necromancers were killing people and there were a lot of spider-worshippers. My second playthrough, I took more time to read books and notes (hidden in the game), and I paid a lot more attention to in-game banter and cutscenes. After paying more attention, the story becomes a lot more interesting, but it's still not great.

The graphics, from what I understand, were stunningly beautiful back when the game released. In 2013, they still hold up well enough. The character models especially look good, which is welcome, because unless you're female or otherwise inclined, you'll probably spend a lot of the game staring at your companion's mostly exposed thighs. One thing I also like is that the girl attached to the aforementioned thighs is reasonably clothed. There's no lingerie armor here. There's only one character wearing skimpy (or no) clothing throughout, and she's a succubus, so that makes sense. Hair and skin is also well done, and water supports full scene reflections. The HDR lighting is still beautiful and the physics hold up well. I ran the game on ultra at 60 fps back when I had a GTX 460, and I still run it on ultra at 60 fps now that I have a new GTX 660 TI.

If it sounds like I don't like the game, I apologize. Really I had a great time with Dark Messiah, but I try to list at least as many complaints as good features in my reviews. Too much of either is just unhelpful, unless it explains in detail why the game irrefutably deserves such a score.
  5. Mar 16, 2013
    Excellent game. Melee combat is insanely fun with the the physics engine, it allows you to kick enemies off the ledges, impale them on spikes, crush them, burn them, chop off their limbs etc. It's what you thought any dungeon crawler would be like, all traps are physics based and can be used to your advantage aswell. Story is a homage of sorts to '80 fantasy movies, it's so cliche that it's funny, same for characters and terribad voice acting. Expand
  6. Jan 2, 2013
    Strange thing: critics reluctant to say good about the game while a lot of gamers like it. Do we have some sort of mystery here? Well, not really. The things is quite simple: DM tries to let you explore the world around you but in some borders, yourself - but without self-analysis and the story of your avatar but, again, without soul-reaping details. There are a kingdom, and magic and demons and some loot. There is no Shakespeare's drama or moral problems. Why there must be? I don't know but the critics asured that this particular game must be very, very serious. Also it must have a way better graphics, sound and so one. The truth - it must not. It's a good story, childish dream of power, naive and sunny in some parts and anciently shadowed in another. Just let yourself to listen the tale and enjoy the taste of your own childhood. Expand
  7. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is actually quite good. I passed it off when it was new because the reviews were non-existent or not so hot. But it turns out this game is way better than the hype.

Its still not a 10 but its an easy 8 and possibly a 9 if you're a big fan of some of the genres it combines. It includes your standard first-person hack and slack, dungeon crawling, as well as some skyrim style rpg
    and equipment, and a little bit of Theif as well. Lots of good exploration. Complicated combat if you take the time to figure it out. Tons of alternative ways to "off" enemies. Its not full on stealth or hack and slash, but it forces you to mix them a bit. Give this game a chance. Its cheap nowdays too, and still looks good compared to todays games. Collapse
  8. Oct 14, 2012
    The gameplay is excellent, very fluid controls, a lot of items and secret entrance, the graphics are stunningly well engineered, despite being released in 2006, a lot of way to play (battlemage, thief, warrior, archer...) and a lot of different monsters you can kill using the undeniable power of physic! I can't say anything bad about this game, maybe the story and character is a bit cheesy but I somehow like its charm... the game is a bit short but I'm usually tired of playing a linear campaign for more than 6 hours, but this game was just about fine for me since the game was actually interactive enough to keep me entertained for a good 8 hours of gameplay!

I recommend this game to everyone who's familiar with the Elder Scrolls serie (especially Oblivion)
  9. May 28, 2012
    I don't understand why reviewers hate this game: it seems to me that lately players are far more expert than reviewers, maybe because they actually play the game (I don't even wanna talk about ME3 critics rating). I love this game: love it! I finished it multiple times, but after a while I always seem to come back at it. This game has the best melee combat system ever seen so far: 2012 games like Skyrim still don't have such an advanced and "environmental" combat system. It is true that Dark Messiah is neither an FPS or an RPG, but its story is really engrossing and the RPGish features add more fun to the game.
    There is no game out there that let you interact so well with things surrounding you, and the story never gets boring. This game is just AWESOME!
  10. May 22, 2012
    Over 5 years since it's release, still nothing comes close to the gritty up close and personal way you can behead and dismembers creatures in ways so satisfying as Dark Messiah.

The same studio has also worked on Bioshock showing their talents again in that game, but in Dark Messiah the advantage of the team having control over all aspects of the game, combat, environment and physics. All
    these different systems individually mastered in both design and execution. Combined together to produce an immersive , dynamic and enjoyable set of systems unmatched by any game to date.

The choice in difficulty a player is likely to over look for picking their typical preference. But in the game all different difficulty levels present a unique pace of game play that whatever you feel your skill level is, all difficulties in this game are enjoyable.

The re-playability does not end with the difficulty choice, the skill tree system allows you to not only build a unique character, but replaying the game and making different skill choices also completely changes how you interact with both the enemies and the environment, many opportunities which you may have over looked in previous play through reveal themselves completely changing how you had previously perceived a level. This is similar to the different approaches in Deus Ex, but the different paths you can take are much more subtle, and there is no "right" way to complete a level.

But the replayabilty does not stop with skills and difficulty. Every single weapon type, every single spell, can be used in many unique ways. Directional attacks like M&B, but with added advantage of the fantastic Source engine physics, means enemies will be pushed from side to side or onto the ground depending on your swing direction, if your charging the enemy and many other unique actions, all beautifully animated for first person view. And that just for swords... there are staves, daggers, bows and shields each with their own unique capabilities too.

In as varied as the weapons are, the spells are also another side to the game which has been implemented so well, and unmatched to this day. Lightning that travels through water to hit every enemy, to huge fireball that explode sending burning, screaming, flying through the air enemies, who often if your skilled enough find themselves blown of a cliff edge. There are many more spells and unique ways to use them that I will leave any newcomers the joy of discovering for themselves.

The Negative; the voice acting would be 4/10 and the story 6/10. They are weakest parts of the game. But really they are irrelevant, the real story is YOUR journey through game, how unique and inventively you tackle the threats you face, each run through the game will be a one of a kind experience, that any other action game would fall short of.

I could not recommend this game enough, if your a PC gamer this is a must have. If you have already played it, play it again, there will be there for you to discover! a real TEN, unmatched and outclasses all other action games by far.
  11. May 16, 2012
    Ok, there is no real connection between Might & Might and Dark Messiah. BUT: The game is groundbreaking! Arkane, known for their absolutely stunning First Person Shooters (or Games), did a very good job. Battles are very intensive, the body awareness is still, 6 years later, the best in the whole FPS-world! When you look into an abyss, you really (!) think: "oh oh, carefully now!" and shivers will run down your spine! Great game! I'm so pumped for the next Arkane Game, Dishonored, which will be released in this year. But that game if you like adventures and intensive FPS experiences! Expand
  12. May 5, 2012
    Great game packed with action and fun while keeping a high fantasy touch. The combat is very rewarding and fun. The graphics and art style are very good regardless the year of production.
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    Even though the graphics might be dated and the story might not be the best out there, this game has some of the best mechanics in recent years.
    Dark Messiah lets you tackle it's levels in a variety of ways, depending on your playstyle the paths you chose and the experience you will have will vary tremendously.
    The gameplay just feels so right and so smooth its just so fun. When you do
    something right you'll feel really accomplished.
    I still have fun replaying it after the 4th time.
  14. Nov 13, 2011
    Simply an amazing game... definitely worth your money if you're looking for a fun FP melee game.
  15. Sep 6, 2011
    I bought this on Steam as it was only £7 and what a game. I wasn't expecting much but bought it on recommendation anyway. The single player was excellent with likeable characters such as Leanna, lovely visuals for the source engine that outdo Valve in visual style and great swordplay that reminds me a lot of Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2. There were some points in the game where the objectives aren't really clear on what to do and should be a little more obvious, such as going into the spider pit.

I didn't encounter any glitches while playing despite critics shunning it for them.
    Overall a great game which overcomes it's flaws for a great singleplayer experience.
  16. Mar 3, 2011
    This is possibly the funnest game i have ever played due the casual violence, hilarious AI and brilliant one liners the enemies come out with the best being "HEY PAL!" Black guard "DEFILLER" Necromancer and "ABOMINATION" Orc when you get the game or if you have it you will know why it is so funny. Other hilarious components include spazzing corpes, people slipping on ice (especially off cliffs) and of course pinning a orc to a swinging ham if you find this it will make your day (i was in stiches). The AI on this game is incredible if you kick a enemy down the stairs he runs straight back up for more! oh yes and this game has a rich combat and skill upgrade system (btw avoid poison resistance) a very good game buy it now! Expand
  17. Sep 29, 2010
    This is one of those games where you just have to scratch your head and try to comprehend what most of the negative reviewers are thinking. If you like FUN, this is a games that has loads of outright fun. I have played the game all the way through three different times (as each of the different classes) and enjoyed it immensely each time. The game is so cheap to buy now, I don't see how anyone could not see the value here. If you like action RPGs you really cannot go wrong with this game!!! Expand
  18. Nov 25, 2012

1. There's really nothing that can match Dark Messiah's combat. The mixture of weaponry and convincingly cause-and-effect physics really does take first-person fighting to new places. [Nov 2006, p.62]
  2. If the game suffers, it's from over-explanation, the occasional lapse in the combat, and the repetitive nature of the environmental weaponry. But I was kept entertained all the way through, and I've never felt so directy responsible for chopping off a goblin's arm. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  3. An outstanding experience. It manages to create a constant sense of threat, includes some stunning set-pieces, and introduces a cast of breathtaking beasts, all within a combat system that is one of the most versatile and violent we have ever seen. [Dec 2006, p.98]