8.7

1. Apr 17, 2015
    This is an AMAZINGLY fun that has an awesome story and game-play. Classic, action fantasy RPG in the fine tradition of Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age: Origins. Ignore any criticism you hear about it and play it for yourself, you'll be glad you did.

The only reason it didn't win Game of the Year is because TES:Oblivion was released shortly later.
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Surprisingly good.

At first glance this game doesn't seem to be great in any way. Graphics and music are ok, the story is decent. Locations look fine. Then you get into combat and nothing else matters. Kill the enemies, find more enemies to kill. I just couldn't get enough of the combat system. After finishing the game for the first time (which took about 8 hrs) I immidiately
    Surprisingly good.

At first glance this game doesn't seem to be great in any way.
    Graphics and music are ok, the story is decent. Locations look fine.

I just couldn't get enough of the combat system. After finishing the game for the first time (which took about 8 hrs) I immidiately started over with a different character. The combat is addictive. It's brutal, fast paced and fair.
    Kick the enemy from the ledge, sneak up on them and stab them or just charge at them with a huge sword.

If we only had this combat system in Skyrim...
  3. May 8, 2014
    This game is dripping with epic atmosphere, nice lore and great gameplay. Easily one of my all time favorite games along with Half Life 2 and Fable 1.
  4. Apr 25, 2014
    This game is awesome. It is not Might and Magic RPG game, but it is very good action RPG in Might and Magic World. You got multiple ways to play this game and every spell is fun to use. I think this game got the best mele combat ever made in FPS game style.
  5. Dec 16, 2013
    This Game i played after its Release on PC. Its guranteed one of the MOST UNDERRATED GAMES OF ALL TIME. it should at least have a score of 86+ all in all.
    The Game is based on Source Engine and in thoses Time (around 2007) it was definitl the BEST RPG Action experience on the market. i am gonna give it a 10 here, because im annoyed of thos stupid 72 metascore it has, probably because some stupid game mags tested buggy beta versions or whatever.

Have a look at Youtube, it amazing how many Plyers share my opinion about this game.
    Okay, its linear and by far not that big and open as skyrim. But hell yeah! its by far older and was never such a big one. its a real Insiders, hot tipp. Everyone who loves a small, linear, fast paced, action oriented and scary RPG will LOVE this brilliant game that gibes u 3 superb completely different character classes!

AND PLEASE: METACRITIC REMOVE SOME OF THESE UGLY NONSENSE CRITIQUES!!! PLEASE!
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    Played this game all the way through many times and still enjoy it every time....didn't have any of the problems described in these reviews....don't know what happened with the versions you guys were playing but mine worked great....
  7. Sep 18, 2013
    This game... its so fun! BUT the major flaw is when the game was released. I remember buying this game and couldn't play it because it crashed after competing the tutorial level (prologue). After some patches and fixes the game finally worked for me and DAMN, that have been fun. The physics are weird but really fun, there are plenty ways of killing a single enemy. Or you can be boring andThis game... its so fun! BUT the major flaw is when the game was released. I remember buying this game and couldn't play it because it crashed after competing the tutorial level (prologue). After some patches and fixes the game finally worked for me and DAMN, that have been fun. The physics are weird but really fun, there are plenty ways of killing a single enemy. Or you can be boring and kick them into spikes or some other insta-kill environment. The story itself is actually interesting IMO, I won't spoil anything but you can alternate the ending, it isn't a huge different but still great.
    The fighting mechanics is fun! really fun, probably the best part of the game. I know the game is easy sometimes but its still fun! It really depends on how you play the game, the boring way with insta-kills and getting through the game as fast as possible, or having fun and exploring the world. Btw there are a lot of secrets in this game, some that might benefit you later on.
    There are some bugs and glitches but they aren't a huge problem, you might get stuck now and then and the AI is kind of horrible. But that's what makes the game fun! except for your companions AI, that's horrible and bad.
  8. Jun 25, 2013
    There are a few reasons this got mixed reviews. The largest is that it's not similar to any other Might and Magic game. The lore is the same, and the story fits, but the gameplay is a complete departure from the usual series. I'm guessing that alienated some of the fans, but I far prefer ARPGs, so the change in style is a positive imo.

The game is terribly buggy until you get the latest

The game is terribly buggy until you get the latest patch, but with the latest patch (1.02), all of the serious issues are fixed. I'm not counting that against the score anymore because it's simply stupid to rate a game down for issues that have already been fixed.

Imo, Dark Messiah is excellent. Voice acting is poor at times, but fortunately it's quite good for Leanna and Xana (the two companions and romance options who have 90% of the total dialogue). The combat is deeper than the typical ARPG, and there's a heavy emphasis on using the environment to kill opponents. In fact, if you don't take advantage of alternate tactics the fights will last a long time and sap your health. It's much quicker to throw an urn of oil at someone and kick them into a fire than it is to simply slash at them repeatedly. I suspect this is where some complaints came from. Some people end up slowly grinding through every fight, because they won't accept that they need to think fast and use varied tactics to beat enemies efficiently. I can't stress this enough; it simply is not effective to spam attacks on someone's shield. Instead, throw a shovel at them and beat them down while they're distracted. Etc. The combat reminds me of Zeno Clash+Skyrim.

I can't fault Dark Messiah for requiring some intelligence on the player's end.

On to other aspects, there are a lot of hidden areas in zones that add replay value. Add variable endings and several relevant difficulty modes, and there's a lot of potential for at least a few playthroughs. Replayability and game length is huge for me. Since I'm in college and I don't have infinite cash, it doesn't make sense to spend $20-50 on a game for just a few hours of entertainment.

At times, Dark Messiah incorporates parkour and climbing aspects to offset its combat, and in general it works very well. My only complaint in that regard is that I wish the climbing was a bit more fluid. I play at 60 fps on a full gaming rig with a high-precision mouse, and even then it was sometimes difficult to maintain control of the character while vaulting between windows.

The story is decidedly average. The first time I played it, I wasn't really sure what was going on. I just knew Necromancers were killing people and there were a lot of spider-worshippers. My second playthrough, I took more time to read books and notes (hidden in the game), and I paid a lot more attention to in-game banter and cutscenes. After paying more attention, the story becomes a lot more interesting, but it's still not great.

The graphics, from what I understand, were stunningly beautiful back when the game released. In 2013, they still hold up well enough. The character models especially look good, which is welcome, because unless you're female or otherwise inclined, you'll probably spend a lot of the game staring at your companion's mostly exposed thighs. One thing I also like is that the girl attached to the aforementioned thighs is reasonably clothed. There's no lingerie armor here. There's only one character wearing skimpy (or no) clothing throughout, and she's a succubus, so that makes sense. Hair and skin is also well done, and water supports full scene reflections. The HDR lighting is still beautiful and the physics hold up well. I ran the game on ultra at 60 fps back when I had a GTX 460, and I still run it on ultra at 60 fps now that I have a new GTX 660 TI.

If it sounds like I don't like the game, I apologize. Really I had a great time with Dark Messiah, but I try to list at least as many complaints as good features in my reviews. Too much of either is just unhelpful, unless it explains in detail why the game irrefutably deserves such a score.
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    Excellent game. Melee combat is insanely fun with the the physics engine, it allows you to kick enemies off the ledges, impale them on spikes, crush them, burn them, chop off their limbs etc. It's what you thought any dungeon crawler would be like, all traps are physics based and can be used to your advantage aswell. Story is a homage of sorts to '80 fantasy movies, it's so cliche thatExcellent game. Melee combat is insanely fun with the the physics engine, it allows you to kick enemies off the ledges, impale them on spikes, crush them, burn them, chop off their limbs etc. It's what you thought any dungeon crawler would be like, all traps are physics based and can be used to your advantage aswell. Story is a homage of sorts to '80 fantasy movies, it's so cliche that it's funny, same for characters and terribad voice acting. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2013
    Strange thing: critics reluctant to say good about the game while a lot of gamers like it. Do we have some sort of mystery here? Well, not really. The things is quite simple: DM tries to let you explore the world around you but in some borders, yourself - but without self-analysis and the story of your avatar but, again, without soul-reaping details. There are a kingdom, and magic andStrange thing: critics reluctant to say good about the game while a lot of gamers like it. Do we have some sort of mystery here? Well, not really. The things is quite simple: DM tries to let you explore the world around you but in some borders, yourself - but without self-analysis and the story of your avatar but, again, without soul-reaping details. There are a kingdom, and magic and demons and some loot. There is no Shakespeare's drama or moral problems. Why there must be? I don't know but the critics asured that this particular game must be very, very serious. Also it must have a way better graphics, sound and so one. The truth - it must not. It's a good story, childish dream of power, naive and sunny in some parts and anciently shadowed in another. Just let yourself to listen the tale and enjoy the taste of your own childhood. Expand
  11. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is actually quite good. I passed it off when it was new because the reviews were non-existent or not so hot. But it turns out this game is way better than the hype.

Its still not a 10 but its an easy 8 and possibly a 9 if you're a big fan of some of the genres it combines. It includes your standard first-person hack and slack, dungeon crawling, as well as some skyrim style rpg and equipment, and a little bit of Theif as well. Lots of good exploration. Complicated combat if you take the time to figure it out. Tons of alternative ways to "off" enemies. Its not full on stealth or hack and slash, but it forces you to mix them a bit. Give this game a chance. Its cheap nowdays too, and still looks good compared to todays games.
  12. Oct 14, 2012
    The gameplay is excellent, very fluid controls, a lot of items and secret entrance, the graphics are stunningly well engineered, despite being released in 2006, a lot of way to play (battlemage, thief, warrior, archer...) and a lot of different monsters you can kill using the undeniable power of physic! I can't say anything bad about this game, maybe the story and character is a bit cheesyThe gameplay is excellent, very fluid controls, a lot of items and secret entrance, the graphics are stunningly well engineered, despite being released in 2006, a lot of way to play (battlemage, thief, warrior, archer...) and a lot of different monsters you can kill using the undeniable power of physic! I can't say anything bad about this game, maybe the story and character is a bit cheesy but I somehow like its charm... the game is a bit short but I'm usually tired of playing a linear campaign for more than 6 hours, but this game was just about fine for me since the game was actually interactive enough to keep me entertained for a good 8 hours of gameplay!

I recommend this game to everyone who's familiar with the Elder Scrolls serie (especially Oblivion)
  13. May 28, 2012
    I don't understand why reviewers hate this game: it seems to me that lately players are far more expert than reviewers, maybe because they actually play the game (I don't even wanna talk about ME3 critics rating). I love this game: love it! I finished it multiple times, but after a while I always seem to come back at it. This game has the best melee combat system ever seen so far: 2012I don't understand why reviewers hate this game: it seems to me that lately players are far more expert than reviewers, maybe because they actually play the game (I don't even wanna talk about ME3 critics rating). I love this game: love it! I finished it multiple times, but after a while I always seem to come back at it. This game has the best melee combat system ever seen so far: 2012 games like Skyrim still don't have such an advanced and "environmental" combat system. It is true that Dark Messiah is neither an FPS or an RPG, but its story is really engrossing and the RPGish features add more fun to the game.
    There is no game out there that let you interact so well with things surrounding you, and the story never gets boring. This game is just AWESOME!
  14. May 22, 2012
    Over 5 years since it's release, still nothing comes close to the gritty up close and personal way you can behead and dismembers creatures in ways so satisfying as Dark Messiah.

The same studio has also worked on Bioshock showing their talents again in that game, but in Dark Messiah the advantage of the team having control over all aspects of the game, combat, environment and physics. All these different systems individually mastered in both design and execution. Combined together to produce an immersive , dynamic and enjoyable set of systems unmatched by any game to date.

The choice in difficulty a player is likely to over look for picking their typical preference. But in the game all different difficulty levels present a unique pace of game play that whatever you feel your skill level is, all difficulties in this game are enjoyable.

The re-playability does not end with the difficulty choice, the skill tree system allows you to not only build a unique character, but replaying the game and making different skill choices also completely changes how you interact with both the enemies and the environment, many opportunities which you may have over looked in previous play through reveal themselves completely changing how you had previously perceived a level. This is similar to the different approaches in Deus Ex, but the different paths you can take are much more subtle, and there is no "right" way to complete a level.

But the replayabilty does not stop with skills and difficulty. Every single weapon type, every single spell, can be used in many unique ways. Directional attacks like M&B, but with added advantage of the fantastic Source engine physics, means enemies will be pushed from side to side or onto the ground depending on your swing direction, if your charging the enemy and many other unique actions, all beautifully animated for first person view. And that just for swords... there are staves, daggers, bows and shields each with their own unique capabilities too.

In as varied as the weapons are, the spells are also another side to the game which has been implemented so well, and unmatched to this day. Lightning that travels through water to hit every enemy, to huge fireball that explode sending burning, screaming, flying through the air enemies, who often if your skilled enough find themselves blown of a cliff edge. There are many more spells and unique ways to use them that I will leave any newcomers the joy of discovering for themselves.

The Negative; the voice acting would be 4/10 and the story 6/10. They are weakest parts of the game. But really they are irrelevant, the real story is YOUR journey through game, how unique and inventively you tackle the threats you face, each run through the game will be a one of a kind experience, that any other action game would fall short of.

I could not recommend this game enough, if your a PC gamer this is a must have. If you have already played it, play it again, there will be there for you to discover! a real TEN, unmatched and outclasses all other action games by far.
  15. May 16, 2012
    Ok, there is no real connection between Might & Might and Dark Messiah. BUT: The game is groundbreaking! Arkane, known for their absolutely stunning First Person Shooters (or Games), did a very good job. Battles are very intensive, the body awareness is still, 6 years later, the best in the whole FPS-world! When you look into an abyss, you really (!) think: "oh oh, carefully now!" andOk, there is no real connection between Might & Might and Dark Messiah. BUT: The game is groundbreaking! Arkane, known for their absolutely stunning First Person Shooters (or Games), did a very good job. Battles are very intensive, the body awareness is still, 6 years later, the best in the whole FPS-world! When you look into an abyss, you really (!) think: "oh oh, carefully now!" and shivers will run down your spine! Great game! I'm so pumped for the next Arkane Game, Dishonored, which will be released in this year. But that game if you like adventures and intensive FPS experiences! Expand
  16. May 5, 2012
    Great game packed with action and fun while keeping a high fantasy touch. The combat is very rewarding and fun. The graphics and art style are very good regardless the year of production.
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    Even though the graphics might be dated and the story might not be the best out there, this game has some of the best mechanics in recent years.
    Dark Messiah lets you tackle it's levels in a variety of ways, depending on your playstyle the paths you chose and the experience you will have will vary tremendously.
    The gameplay just feels so right and so smooth its just so fun. When you do
    The gameplay just feels so right and so smooth its just so fun. When you do something right you'll feel really accomplished.
    I still have fun replaying it after the 4th time.
  18. Nov 13, 2011
    Simply an amazing game... definitely worth your money if you're looking for a fun FP melee game.
  19. Sep 6, 2011
    I bought this on Steam as it was only £7 and what a game.
    I wasn't expecting much but bought it on recommendation anyway.
    The single player was excellent with likeable characters such as Leanna, lovely visuals for the source engine that outdo Valve in visual style and great swordplay that reminds me a lot of Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2. There were some points in the game
    I bought this on Steam as it was only £7 and what a game.
    I wasn't expecting much but bought it on recommendation anyway.

There were some points in the game where the objectives aren't really clear on what to do and should be a little more obvious, such as going into the spider pit.

I didn't encounter any glitches while playing despite critics shunning it for them.
    Overall a great game which overcomes it's flaws for a great singleplayer experience.
  20. Mar 3, 2011
    This is possibly the funnest game i have ever played due the casual violence, hilarious AI and brilliant one liners the enemies come out with the best being "HEY PAL!" Black guard "DEFILLER" Necromancer and "ABOMINATION" Orc when you get the game or if you have it you will know why it is so funny. Other hilarious components include spazzing corpes, people slipping on ice (especially offThis is possibly the funnest game i have ever played due the casual violence, hilarious AI and brilliant one liners the enemies come out with the best being "HEY PAL!" Black guard "DEFILLER" Necromancer and "ABOMINATION" Orc when you get the game or if you have it you will know why it is so funny. Other hilarious components include spazzing corpes, people slipping on ice (especially off cliffs) and of course pinning a orc to a swinging ham if you find this it will make your day (i was in stiches). The AI on this game is incredible if you kick a enemy down the stairs he runs straight back up for more! oh yes and this game has a rich combat and skill upgrade system (btw avoid poison resistance) a very good game buy it now! Expand
  21. Sep 29, 2010
    This is one of those games where you just have to scratch your head and try to comprehend what most of the negative reviewers are thinking. If you like FUN, this is a games that has loads of outright fun. I have played the game all the way through three different times (as each of the different classes) and enjoyed it immensely each time. The game is so cheap to buy now, I don't see howThis is one of those games where you just have to scratch your head and try to comprehend what most of the negative reviewers are thinking. If you like FUN, this is a games that has loads of outright fun. I have played the game all the way through three different times (as each of the different classes) and enjoyed it immensely each time. The game is so cheap to buy now, I don't see how anyone could not see the value here. If you like action RPGs you really cannot go wrong with this game!!! Expand
  22. JaapL
    Dec 17, 2009
    One of the best singleplayer games I played, despite the game being released to early. The close combat system is, once you get the hang of it, simply amazing. I still play it, which I can't say about most games that are as old as this one.
  23. DanielP
    Dec 13, 2009
    Goodest game i everplayed kick people and headshot them with bows .the best part before you meet the power wizard the map before you sail to skull island. theres was a wall with a hole in i shoted on guard and the other guard where just staring in to the wall
  24. dbonedbone
    Dec 8, 2009
    One of the best games i have ever played, i dont understand why some people rate it so low. I just hope they make a nr 2.
  25. JohnS
    Dec 4, 2009
    Great SIngleplayer, very solid and balanced Multiplayer. Amazing game!
  26. El_BertotheMexican
    Nov 12, 2009
    Excelent game! Great firstperson hack & slash now that the bugs have been taken out. But Hexen 3 as title is more fitting ;)
  27. NeilG
    Nov 9, 2009
    This must be one of the most underrated games ever. I loved it and hope against hope that there will be a sequel. Yes it's buggy and has a slightly not-quite-finished feel to it, but get the patch and enjoy the fast, fluid combat action. There are so many possible ways to bump off your enemies in this game that I just keep coming back to it. Ok, it's a little contrived in places This must be one of the most underrated games ever. I loved it and hope against hope that there will be a sequel. Yes it's buggy and has a slightly not-quite-finished feel to it, but get the patch and enjoy the fast, fluid combat action. There are so many possible ways to bump off your enemies in this game that I just keep coming back to it. Ok, it's a little contrived in places - a spiky railing to kick your foe onto, or a precariously positioned set of barrels to crush him under is never far away. But what the hell? Suspend your disbelief and you'll get hours of funny from the sheer range of ways to kill people. The different plotline decisions keep things interesting too. I bought this game for 97p in a post-Christmas sale. And it was the best 97p I ever spent. Collapse
  28. MichalS
    Oct 31, 2009
    For me this game is really good, it has many bugs but they're really funny. Ubisoft should make some patches to it.
  29. ChristainS
    Jun 22, 2009
    Wow, the Combat-System of this game is so fantastic ;) I think the lower Metascore is a result of the Multiplayer-Part, perhaps it would be better if there would be 2 scores for SP and MP ! Then I would give 10 for SP and 8 for MP. I give 10 because DMOMM is one of my best Games I have ever played!
  30. LeviJ
    Jun 4, 2009
    There's only 2 reasons in my mind that could give this game a low score. 1) The expectations for this game were far too high, and when people got the game, it of course didn't meet those crazy high expectations. (Movies and games alike that have incredibly high hype pre-release both suffer from this disease. Hype can get so overblown that it becomes impossible to meet the There's only 2 reasons in my mind that could give this game a low score. 1) The expectations for this game were far too high, and when people got the game, it of course didn't meet those crazy high expectations. (Movies and games alike that have incredibly high hype pre-release both suffer from this disease. Hype can get so overblown that it becomes impossible to meet the expectation.) and 2) If the system they were using was not compatible for some reason with the game. I did not experience either of these dilemmas, and as a game, Dark Messiah is flat out awesome. I'm actually on my second play through, and for me, it's right up there with Bioshock. The multiplayer isn't that great from what I've tried, but this is a single player masterpiece. Expand
  31. AnonymousMC
    May 2, 2009
    For me a game is a good game if you are able to play it over and over again. This game is witty, innovative and full of action and I had a lot of fun playing it and always will. The 72 metascore doesn't do the game justice, although the producers could have taken more time and gotten rid of a few bugs. 9/10
  32. PaulM
    Mar 19, 2009
    This game is amazing. The storyline is fulfilling and addictive to the last moment. I couldn't get enough of the combat. There's multiple ways to execute people just by moving a slightly different way. Dark Messiah definitely has the best graphics of any game made in 2006, and I can play the multiplayer all night long. The gore in the game was at a perfect level; there This game is amazing. The storyline is fulfilling and addictive to the last moment. I couldn't get enough of the combat. There's multiple ways to execute people just by moving a slightly different way. Dark Messiah definitely has the best graphics of any game made in 2006, and I can play the multiplayer all night long. The gore in the game was at a perfect level; there wasn't too much, but it wasn't like playing a child's game. I highly recommend you add this game to your collection. Expand
  33. W@MSolo
    Mar 6, 2009
    Ok, so given there is fallout 3 etc now on the market, why give this game a 10? Because the Metascore is just plain wrong. In effect you are getting 2 games for the price of one, and at its bargain price , this is a game no one should not have who enjoys frentic 16 v 16 multiplayer in a oldstyle combat system ( ie : no guns ) The single player story line hooks you in and is a nice mix of Ok, so given there is fallout 3 etc now on the market, why give this game a 10? Because the Metascore is just plain wrong. In effect you are getting 2 games for the price of one, and at its bargain price , this is a game no one should not have who enjoys frentic 16 v 16 multiplayer in a oldstyle combat system ( ie : no guns ) The single player story line hooks you in and is a nice mix of levels followed by story cutscenes, my one negative is, its too easy to complete. I've now played it 3 times trough, just to try out the cominations of powers you purchase as you level up and this is over a year after buying it, I'm back playing the single plyr again. But in truth, the Multiplayer game, which unfortunately cant be metascored, is where this game shines. With a few good clans out there who let you play on their servers for free, and much banter over the in game text or voice, this is a social experience as well as a game. So any ET / Halo / Unreal 3 / bf2142 , etc, player, looking for a change, you'd do well to try this. "For Stonehelm ... CHARGE !!!!" Expand
  34. JoachimFehr
    Feb 4, 2009
    A great game not bad at all, and i don't get the critics whining, its an great game it had awesome graphics at release date, it was an great storyline and great combat experience i dont see the point in going so much down because of a little bugs, and glitches.
  35. AnonymousMC
    Jan 5, 2009
    This game is really fun , because I used to play World of Warcraft .I wanted to go back to a medieval game but , I still wanted to be able to use Steam Chat , so this was the perfect match.Its use of combat and stealth (which are my two favorite attributes) is amazing , and the spells are just awesome.
  36. Zeriot
    Nov 30, 2008
    There is certainly no graphical glitches in my game and I play it on a 5 year old computer. I have pleayed it through four times (not that hard since its not so long, which btw is the major flaw of the game) and even on hard its doable to kill your enemies without restoring to kicking etc as I read some critics have written. If they cannot see how you can successfully create a mage/warriorThere is certainly no graphical glitches in my game and I play it on a 5 year old computer. I have pleayed it through four times (not that hard since its not so long, which btw is the major flaw of the game) and even on hard its doable to kill your enemies without restoring to kicking etc as I read some critics have written. If they cannot see how you can successfully create a mage/warrior that kill every opponent it is their problem, but then they also havent seen the potential the game really has. Expand
  37. SeanE.
    Aug 14, 2008
    A brilliant game, some brilliant graphics with the source engine, but which are easily over looked. The story is somewhat short but satisfying, tending to bring out the darker side in people, with awe inspiring game play and none stop action, i would recommend this to anyone with a taste for blood.
  38. TimothyB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    This game was incredible. I was involved with Disciples of Sareth, an awesome fan site during the game's release. I got the deluxe version of the game the day it came out, and I was completely satisfied. There were glitches, but they've been patched. The storyline is rather short and dull, but the action is so entertaining you don't even focus on that. You pay so much This game was incredible. I was involved with Disciples of Sareth, an awesome fan site during the game's release. I got the deluxe version of the game the day it came out, and I was completely satisfied. There were glitches, but they've been patched. The storyline is rather short and dull, but the action is so entertaining you don't even focus on that. You pay so much attention on trying to find a way to kill your enemies or make your way out of dungeons alive....it's an amazing experience every gamer should enjoy. I am hoping for a DM2, where they elaborate more on the storyline and fix their glitches BEFOREhand, but we'll just have to wait and see. For now I will suffice with just hacking goblins in half. Expand
  39. MikeN.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This game was incredible. The story is simple, and the action is great. With realistic physics and detailed graphics, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic keeps me wanting more! A must have for most people, and an absolute must have for fans of the source engine.
  40. AndrewM
    Jun 28, 2008
    I really did like this game. You can figure out where the story is going before the second level is over. There are a few minor bugs. Overall though it was a great game. The combat is fun. The levels are well made. The slight RPG elements make it worth more. The multiplayer is rather meh until you get used to it in which case it can be fun. I recommend this game highly, and even a I really did like this game. You can figure out where the story is going before the second level is over. There are a few minor bugs. Overall though it was a great game. The combat is fun. The levels are well made. The slight RPG elements make it worth more. The multiplayer is rather meh until you get used to it in which case it can be fun. I recommend this game highly, and even a hardcore fps fan can enjoy this one. Expand
  41. JonasK.
    Jun 15, 2008
    This game is just great its the perfect game! The gameplay, the kick, the spells. Everything its just great!
  42. PeteM.
    Jun 14, 2008
    The game is brilliant, although the end was so fast, I was just expecting a little longer gameplay towards the end, I almost began thinking if I missed something. The graphics are OK, no Crysis, but what would you expect from a game that has been released for a while already. Gameplay is always above Graphics for me. Although I hear loads of complains about bugs, the retail copy did not The game is brilliant, although the end was so fast, I was just expecting a little longer gameplay towards the end, I almost began thinking if I missed something. The graphics are OK, no Crysis, but what would you expect from a game that has been released for a while already. Gameplay is always above Graphics for me. Although I hear loads of complains about bugs, the retail copy did not contain any bugs to me. I bought it the first day it was released, so I have the same game everyone calls buggy. The Sounds were nice, sometimes a little jumpy... But good non the less. The Story was nothing epic, but it did keep me playing, something most games can't do. I ditched Crysis after 2 minutes, and the same happens to most games. Overall, I rate the game 9. Its Good, but its ending is way to sudden. Expand
  43. WilliamG.
    Jun 8, 2008
    This particular game, in my opinion, has nearly perfected the best combat system ever created. I am highly surprised at the Metascore it has received, as I believe it is as good if not better than Half-Life. Either way, I would say this is Ubisoft's best product to date.
  44. MatthewB.
    May 22, 2008
    Great enjoyment and plenty of fun. Is a bit glitchy but the combat seriously overrules that. All round its a great game therefore the well deserved 9/10.
  45. RobertG.
    May 19, 2008
    Excellent game, despite very minor bugs. Absolutely a must!
  46. Keldran
    May 3, 2008
    Incredible game. I bought and played after the patches, so I do not know if most of the poorer reviews are pre-patch, but I would think so!
  47. PoliM.
    May 2, 2008
    Super cool I could die without it.
  48. JesseJ.
    May 1, 2008
    An awesome game, certainly worth trying.
  49. KarlL
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great game, greatest sword fighting I've ever seen in game. Storyline is predictable, Levels get a little dull in the middle of the game, Rpg elements are pretty weak. But the combat is just so much fun its all worth it. Best Melee based fps I've ever played. A lot of people have given this game bad reviews based on its buggy launch, I had one where a boss near the end of the Great game, greatest sword fighting I've ever seen in game. Storyline is predictable, Levels get a little dull in the middle of the game, Rpg elements are pretty weak. But the combat is just so much fun its all worth it. Best Melee based fps I've ever played. A lot of people have given this game bad reviews based on its buggy launch, I had one where a boss near the end of the game refused to appear forcing me to choose the bad ending. If I was basing my score on the initial release I would score it much lower, but I'll base it on the fully patched version you can play now. Expand
  50. BenB.
    Apr 20, 2008
    one of the best games I've played in a WHILE its been so long since a game has been made like this.
  51. JohnH.
    Apr 6, 2008
    All those people who gave this game a low rating should just get a better computer. Bugs my ass!
  52. MarcusB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Perfect, but the end is to short...
  53. AdamW.
    Mar 22, 2008
    Not a bad game. Pc version is a lot better then the xbox360 version. enjoyed the story line but mabye ended too fast. Thinking ppl should get a better rig for the game insted of complaining about it crashing and glitching.
  54. JackH.
    Mar 21, 2008
    it dont get what all of you are talking about my computer is 2 years old and i can run it fine. anyway i think its a fantastic game with great graphics (to lower the amount of lag just turn down anistropic to the lowest)
  55. MikeA.
    Mar 10, 2008
    Love the game, I always wanted a leveling system and the source engine to be combined, it's as if HL2 and Oblivion have been combined in an action packed adventure that will never leave you half bored.
  56. TimE.
    Mar 7, 2008
    Probably one of the best games which you can buy on Steam. The Mutliplayer can be funny with friends, really! The singleplayer is just awsome, kicking enemys is just fun. If you are searching for a great game for less than $20, take this one! Really!
  57. AlexH.
    Mar 4, 2008
    The loved the diverse story linear storyline and the exciting multiplayer.
  58. JesseK.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Dark Messiah is one of the best first person games I have ever played I love the online play and the cool traps you can set-off.
  59. GaborP.
    Feb 21, 2008
    I love the full game! It's like being an actor in some kind of fantasy film! Lovely!
  60. NICKA.
    Feb 18, 2008
    Im not a big fan of rpg, but im a huge fan of action genre. i bought this, knowing it was both, and I'm so happy it focused on action. I think the RPG elements work well into it in fact, and are pretty good. The many ways to kill enemies are great, and the only parts where i have complaints are, the zombie are tough enough without venom breath. Also the parts with spider...just arent Im not a big fan of rpg, but im a huge fan of action genre. i bought this, knowing it was both, and I'm so happy it focused on action. I think the RPG elements work well into it in fact, and are pretty good. The many ways to kill enemies are great, and the only parts where i have complaints are, the zombie are tough enough without venom breath. Also the parts with spider...just arent fun, they are really annoying, so im just trying to say venom is too powerful in the game. Everything else, i mean everything is great, the games got tons of cinimatic moments. Expand
  61. FrederikB.
    Jan 21, 2008
    Such a gooood game I could play it all day long the only thing that is very bad is that the German version is so damn cutted but thats the only bad thing.
  62. RichardM.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Its a fun game, with a really good story. Just make sure your computer can handle it and you installed it right with steam, otherwise its a headache to try to play.
  63. VictorV.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Excellent gameplay, very good story, outstanding graphics!
  64. KrisS.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Fantasy FPS, rare, fun.
  65. JellevM.
    Dec 9, 2007
    I had problems with starting the game. But now it plays very well. If Oblivion would have this combat system, it would be the best game ever.
  66. Khaell
    Dec 7, 2007
    Brilliant Game! its everything what i needed. good multiplayer, storyline in Single, Sword fighting system. 10
  67. AnonymousMC
    Dec 4, 2007
    Obviously this title seems to be a "love-or-hate" kind of game: Some like the refreshingly different gameplay, some just don't seem to get it. I have to give this game a ten just to balance the unfairly poor scores it has got! I can't understand any of the issues mentioned in the bad reviews, I haven't encountered any bugs and the combat system is truly revolutionary, notObviously this title seems to be a "love-or-hate" kind of game: Some like the refreshingly different gameplay, some just don't seem to get it. I have to give this game a ten just to balance the unfairly poor scores it has got! I can't understand any of the issues mentioned in the bad reviews, I haven't encountered any bugs and the combat system is truly revolutionary, not repetitive and dull as some have said. Expand
  68. ZarekA.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Very smooth game and addicting online gameplay. Singleplayer is easy but fun.
  69. bokfu1
    Nov 30, 2007
    Great game once you get through the learning curve. Lots of action and magic, Play it on hard!
  70. DominicH.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This game is brilliant. Amazing modification of the Source physics engine, especially in combat!
  71. NickD.
    Nov 14, 2007
    It's so amazing. It needs a beast of a computer to run. I couldn't play it on my old rig, and I just buillt a new one and playing this game was one of the many things I was looking forward to. The movements the character reactions to the environment. This game doesn't get the credit it deserves.
  72. SamM.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Brilliant single player game, story line is very impressive. the only thing that lets this game down is that it does not have a decent multiplayer experience. but let that take nothing away from the single player its breathtaking at worst.
  73. DanielR.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Amazing game!
  74. BouuobT.
    Nov 5, 2007
    A really deep game with many elements of gameplay that havent been brought out by any other game. A must play rpg for any fan or rpg.
  75. JosephRamos
    Nov 5, 2007
    One of the best game I ever played.
  76. JelkeA.
    Nov 4, 2007
    Lots of bugs have to do a lot of stuff to get it running. When it does run its cool, fun, and addictive. Interesting story elements in action and gameplay make it all worth your trouble and make everything work out.
  77. AndreCosta
    Oct 30, 2007
    Excellent, and I mean really excellent game. Great ambiance, excellent skills to develop, excellent graphics... Storyline is very very good. 10/10
  78. JosephR.
    Oct 18, 2007
    This was one of the best FPS RPG game that I ever played.
  79. ChrisB.
    Sep 19, 2007
    I think this game perfectly captures the kinetics of melee combat. I've never played another first person game that did it so well. JUST for that, I give it a 9, because everyone else has pretty much sucked at it.
  80. EzraJ.
    Sep 19, 2007
    I was a junkie by the time I finished chapter 1. The storyline may have been predictable but I gave them a good deal of leeway with originality because of the enormously addictive game play. Almost every fight in the game has alternative methods of approach, and can be treated as puzzles instead of your usual hack and slash. The game was a little short, but with four different endings, it I was a junkie by the time I finished chapter 1. The storyline may have been predictable but I gave them a good deal of leeway with originality because of the enormously addictive game play. Almost every fight in the game has alternative methods of approach, and can be treated as puzzles instead of your usual hack and slash. The game was a little short, but with four different endings, it has good replayability. Expand
  81. MarkD.
    Sep 16, 2007
    This game had some of the best puzzles, graphics, gameplay and I really liked the story. People keep saying that it was predictable, and maybe you found it very predictable, but the game showed a more realistic look at a fantasy hero than what is normally portrayed in stories in the medieval fantasy setting. I am extremely stunned that this game has seen such poor reviews.
  82. JamesS.
    Sep 7, 2007
    10-no doubt about it, one of the best games i have ever played- dunno where everyone is getting these crash problems, because it never happened with me, uber gfx, great storyline and the AI is fantastic!!
  83. SpyderC.
    Sep 3, 2007
    This game is a benchmark for future FPS RPGs. It's a great story line, amazing graphics, exquised controls. This game was quite buggy on Vista 64-bit before the 132.xx nvidia drivers and the microsoft patch which allowed video ram to be handled differently. Now it runs flawlessly at 2560x1600.
  84. JasonI.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Wow + TFC built into one great multiplayer experiance. Char development over time in a capture the flag setting makes for a awesome PvP experiance. Great job!! Single player is not to shaby but the multiplayer is a very different type of game play that keeps you wanting more. The char development over multiplayer XP keeps you hooked.
  85. JoshuaY.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Dark messiah is graphically beautiful with 1st rate detail. !st person action brings a new thing into the rpg world giving a feeling of being there. none can match it.
  86. HelenT.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Very good game, but can be hard sometime to figure thing out to get past the level.
  87. g33b33
    Aug 6, 2007
    Great game, great graphics! But its too bloody, i think less blood would have done in a better way, but thats only my oppinion i think.
  88. JonnyB.
    Aug 4, 2007
    Great game: Pick from 4 skill trees - the fighter/wizard/archer/assassin - or mix and match through all of them. Wonderful graphics and a great engine to play on. Great fighting scenarios including beheading enemies in bullet time. Amazing!
  89. DanielS.
    Jul 26, 2007
    Very good game. I like the first person thing.
  90. LucasS.
    Jul 25, 2007
    A lot of people seem to be complaining about glitches in the game, but after installing the patch right away I'm yet to encounter a noticble and common glitch, I just don't seem to be having that problem. The game is a beautifully detailed, realistic game with some rather impressive A.I. built in to boot. I have had nothing but good and amusing experiances with this game and A lot of people seem to be complaining about glitches in the game, but after installing the patch right away I'm yet to encounter a noticble and common glitch, I just don't seem to be having that problem. The game is a beautifully detailed, realistic game with some rather impressive A.I. built in to boot. I have had nothing but good and amusing experiances with this game and highly reccomend it to any one who is an rpg, or fantasy fan. Drawbacks are the levels or at least the mobs inside the levels are fairly repetitive and the story line seems vaguely short, nevertheless the plot holds some merit and is somewhat intrigueing. Also the game seems excessivly short for what could have been turned into an amazingly long and enjoyable game, much like the gothic series (saddly gothic 3 doesnt live up to my standards but thats another review) but it seems they cut short. As for replay value....I think it would be more or less just for the sake of amusement on a rainy day, as it would all seem rather similar to go through every "dungeon" again.... Expand
  91. RojinPC
    Jul 17, 2007
    Excellent game. Too many bad reviews by magazines or companies, when reading the reviews i was scared to purchase it. Now that i have finished it i feel completely satisfied with my purchase. The game is in such a beautiful realm. The story is the only complaint i have. The cutscenes are short particularly for the endings (which are almost identicle) had they been as creative with the end Excellent game. Too many bad reviews by magazines or companies, when reading the reviews i was scared to purchase it. Now that i have finished it i feel completely satisfied with my purchase. The game is in such a beautiful realm. The story is the only complaint i have. The cutscenes are short particularly for the endings (which are almost identicle) had they been as creative with the end as they had with everything else in the game i would have given it a 10. The combat system of this game is the most beautiful thing i have ever encountered in my entire life of playing video games. The action is more intense than Halflife 2 being up close and very personal. Unlike common FP-RPGs running up and hacking at an enemy... will get you killed. While weilding weak and mundane weaponry... you must think of innovative and strategic combat constantly. Kicking your enemy onto spikes or into a pillar to collapse some crates on top of him are some good examples. Assassination strikes, and headshots with the bow are also more examples. one of my favorite techniques is to use the bow and set the arrow on fire and launch it at humans or spiders... it instantly kills them. Expand
  92. ElliotH.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Amazing game. Never seen anything like it!. Although the graphics are exceptional you are able to do so many other things that other games would not let you. 10/10!
  93. TommyH.
    Jul 10, 2007
    Great game! BUt the indoor-levels are *****, they are like a maze ~ but the online-mode is wonderful.
  94. MaxC.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Havent had that much fun in a long time, great system, great levels, could do with better multiplayer, more chapters and less bugs.
  95. AxelD.
    Jul 5, 2007
    I think this is one of the best games i have played in all my time on this earth...i love games...ive made them my life, career, and everyday life...but this is still close to my 1st favorite game...the only problem i had with this game is a cooperative aspect of the game...this is why i am so excited to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements...but other then this minor flaw I think this is one of the best games i have played in all my time on this earth...i love games...ive made them my life, career, and everyday life...but this is still close to my 1st favorite game...the only problem i had with this game is a cooperative aspect of the game...this is why i am so excited to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements...but other then this minor flaw because of major time needed to program cooperative play I both respect and hope to work with Ubisoft. Expand
  96. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2007
    I wonderful game. Well scripted single player missions, you feel as if your character is part of an epic story (It's like playing an interactive movie). Though this does remove the freedom found on Oblivion. But I don't think that is what this game wants to do. Compare it to Doom, HL2 etc and this game is worth every cent.

The graphics are great, there is a great sense of

The graphics are great, there is a great sense of scale. You feel very small standing next to a castle wall, this is something that other games don't too well.

Hardware recommendation are high though to help fully immerse yourself. But well worth the cost to upgrade. Castles look great with HDR rendering.
  97. JesseO.
    Jul 1, 2007
    When you beat a game and the only thing you'd change is to have more content to play through, you know a game has hit spot on. The controls are very intuitive and you can change the story as much as you could in this, my only complaint is that it's very difficult at first, and becomes much much easier toward the end.
  98. AnonymousMC
    Jun 28, 2007
    Minor problems and bugs cannot hide this game's brilliance. I was kind of disappointed at the beginning to the point of almost abandoning it but then it really grew on me. The hand to hand combat system and body awareness combined with Source's physics engine creates a really unique experience where you can feel the blows you deal and the hits you take from enemies as much as aMinor problems and bugs cannot hide this game's brilliance. I was kind of disappointed at the beginning to the point of almost abandoning it but then it really grew on me. The hand to hand combat system and body awareness combined with Source's physics engine creates a really unique experience where you can feel the blows you deal and the hits you take from enemies as much as a game can convey. And it gets 10/10 because it has catacombs. I love games with spooky tombs and traps ... :) Expand
  99. walleteater
    Jun 26, 2007
    This game has a really fun combat system, and like to take advantage of the steam physics... There is a stealth element, a fun magic element, and a great warrior combat element. The game Is story driven, true, but when you do fight it is great. Soon SDK will be released and you can expect some great mods. And i think that all those people with crappy computers should stop trash talking This game has a really fun combat system, and like to take advantage of the steam physics... There is a stealth element, a fun magic element, and a great warrior combat element. The game Is story driven, true, but when you do fight it is great. Soon SDK will be released and you can expect some great mods. And i think that all those people with crappy computers should stop trash talking the game, because oblivion can't hold a torch up to any of its elements, and the only thing oblivion wins in is freeroam. And most crashes are a result of shitty graphics cards and low amounts of ram. I bought the game the day it came out and had no bugs whatsoever! Expand
  100. FelixJäger
    Jun 21, 2007
    The first thing that I liked was the 1st person sword fighting which actually is good, unlike Oblivions fucked up system. The 2nd thing was the gore that made me keep on playing. I still laugh out loud when I behead a guard and throw his body onto another enemy making him fall and then execute him on the ground. Or just burning them to death. Or kicking them off cliffs and into spikes.The first thing that I liked was the 1st person sword fighting which actually is good, unlike Oblivions fucked up system. The 2nd thing was the gore that made me keep on playing. I still laugh out loud when I behead a guard and throw his body onto another enemy making him fall and then execute him on the ground. Or just burning them to death. Or kicking them off cliffs and into spikes.
    Oh, and the game neither crashed nor have I experienced one singel bug. I don't know what everyone is whining about...:)
    I'v beaten the game six times now in the past five days, 3xwarrior, 2xassassian, 1xmage (<-- mage to hard in endgame in my opinion)

1. There's really nothing that can match Dark Messiah's combat. The mixture of weaponry and convincingly cause-and-effect physics really does take first-person fighting to new places. [Nov 2006, p.62]
  2. If the game suffers, it's from over-explanation, the occasional lapse in the combat, and the repetitive nature of the environmental weaponry. But I was kept entertained all the way through, and I've never felt so directy responsible for chopping off a goblin's arm. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  3. An outstanding experience. It manages to create a constant sense of threat, includes some stunning set-pieces, and introduces a cast of breathtaking beasts, all within a combat system that is one of the most versatile and violent we have ever seen. [Dec 2006, p.98]