7.4

1. Aug 31, 2015
    Un juego desafiante, con una historia envolvente y gráficas aceptables. La dificultad se ajusta ante las circunstancias en las que nos encontremos, es decir, mientras más avancemos más complicado será progresar la aventura. Los personajes son originales y la trama llega a ser incluso hasta tétrica. Mientras que los jefes son todo un desafío e importa poco el nivel del que dispongas, ya queUn juego desafiante, con una historia envolvente y gráficas aceptables. La dificultad se ajusta ante las circunstancias en las que nos encontremos, es decir, mientras más avancemos más complicado será progresar la aventura. Los personajes son originales y la trama llega a ser incluso hasta tétrica. Mientras que los jefes son todo un desafío e importa poco el nivel del que dispongas, ya que la cantidad de daño que recibas de tus adversarios no menguará si incrementas tus estadisticas. Recomendable para los que buscan un verdadero reto y hará trabajar sus mentes al máximo para revelar secretos que solo harán más complejo el juego, pero más emocionante. Con gran variedad de atuendos y armas clásicos de la edad medía. Dark Souls que un videojuego que ha marcado la séptima generación. Expand
  2. Aug 9, 2015
    This game is Really Hard and it's not Recommendable to Casuals? but even if it's Hard, that means is it Bad? NO! this game is Amazing! i may have already tell to ALL of my Friends that i am a Humongous RPG Fanatic from numerous games such as Mother 3, Hyperdimension Neptunia, South Park, TERA and etc. the Game has solid Combat and Mechanics, Nice Graphics, a very strange and cool story andThis game is Really Hard and it's not Recommendable to Casuals? but even if it's Hard, that means is it Bad? NO! this game is Amazing! i may have already tell to ALL of my Friends that i am a Humongous RPG Fanatic from numerous games such as Mother 3, Hyperdimension Neptunia, South Park, TERA and etc. the Game has solid Combat and Mechanics, Nice Graphics, a very strange and cool story and very Challenging, but at the same time Rewarding! the PC Port have some Problems but i didn't really care about! i thought i wouldn't like this games as other People do... but man... they were Right Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2015
    qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  4. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Gameplay, Exploration, Character progression, Boss fights, Atmosphere/Mood, Demanding

- Mixed: Setting, Story

- Bad: terrible mouse/keyboard controls, overall bad PC port.

Great game after some mods, also u need gamepad because this game is unplayable with mouse/keyboard.
  5. Jun 21, 2015
    To all the whingers - get DSFix, HD Texture pack and a USB controller. You'll get better graphics than a console and same controls. 100% win. As for the game itself. Its brilliant and integrated. The combat system, lore and difficulty are perfect.
  6. May 23, 2015
    First of all, before I can actually write a decent review of the game, I need to get the cons out of the way so I can move on to the pros. This is an absolutely horrific console port if you play it vanilla. Seriously one of the worst games (from a technical standpoint). And requires quite a bit of modding before it is in a playable state. Here's the main issues;

1. 30fps frame lock

1. 30fps frame lock

2. 720p resolution lock

3. Horrid mouse and keyboard support (I wouldn't even use the word support here in all honesty)

4. GFWL on launch (although that's thankfully been removed, and is now on Steamworks)

5. The current Steamworks version of the game as quite a huge problem with the way the servers work, making it sometimes impossible to co-op with a friend.

Thankfully most of this can be fixed by installing DsFIx and DSMFix, and tinkering around inside ini files.

Alright, now that the quite hefty list of negative is out of the way I can talk about what I love about the game. And there is quite a lot;

I have just over 100 hours in the Steam version of Dark souls, and hundreds more across the xbox and PS3 versions. I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that this is possibly one of my favourite games of the generation, and definitely earns a spot in my top 10 games of all time list. It's such a beautifully crafted game, in every single aspect. Playing through it for the first time provides you with a huge sense of awe. From the expansive world design, to the interconnecting areas, there's not a single bad thing I can say about the world design in this game.

Every time you defeat and conquer an area boss, you feel more than a sense of accomplishment, it's euphoric. The constant feeling of wanting to continue to explore the deep and winding world leads you to never wanting to set your controller down (YOU'RE PLAYING WITH A CONTROLLER, RIGHT?).

Of course, there is the element of the difficulty, but I feel people actually mistake involved gameplay mechanics with artificial difficulty. Dark Souls is not an inherently hard game, once you learn to master the parry and dodging mechanics, you'll be flying through the game in no time.

I think what my absolute favourite part of this game is, is that you can play through the game dozens of times. Each time with a different playstyle, or weapon in miind, and your experience will be entirely different from the last. Not only that, but you still have the same feeling of wonder and enjoyment each time you beat the game.

Typically, your first playthrough will come out to around 60-70 hours, if you're exploring all the areas. However, subsequent playthroughs can be cut down significantly in time, since you'll have a familiar understanding of the level design, enemy placement and the fastest routes to completing areas.

From Software have created an unsung masterpiece in Dark Souls, and one I think a lot of people are fearful of playing because of the supposed difficulty or mechanics. I would strongly urge any and everyone to play this game though, for under £20 you will absolutely not regret it.

TL;DR

BUY THIS GAME
  7. May 2, 2015
    after playing dark souls series, all the other games just seems silly now. When you have been playing dark souls for a few hundred hours, the AI and combat of the other action games just seems to be boring and unrealistic now.
  8. May 1, 2015
    I feel that this game is one of the best that I've ever played. I did not find the controls complicated, despite using a keyboard and mouse. I do not see the problem that other people seem to have.
    If you're one of those people that have a huge issue with the graphics, feel free to download the graphics fix, but it was hardly a problem for me.
  9. Apr 16, 2015
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the PC port of the legendary spiritual successor to Demon Souls. It is a punishingly difficult game designed to make you think instead of rush. Don't try to play it without a game pad, the keyboard controls are famously unintelligent in their layout. Also, take the Master Key at the start. Just a hint. You need to use the beta edition on steam to getDark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the PC port of the legendary spiritual successor to Demon Souls. It is a punishingly difficult game designed to make you think instead of rush. Don't try to play it without a game pad, the keyboard controls are famously unintelligent in their layout. Also, take the Master Key at the start. Just a hint. You need to use the beta edition on steam to get rid of the former Games for Windows Live overlay, which will cause problems with saves and achievements if not handled properly. The environment, the game play, and the community all come together to make one of the best games of the decade. Expand
  10. Apr 11, 2015
    Awesome game. This kind of old school difficulty games really rewards every step you make in finishing a magnificent story, full of epic fantasy and action. There's just one major issue... the pc port is bad. Really bad. With a fix you can find online the graphic will get better.. but still they could've put a greater effort in porting this gem to pc.
  11. Apr 2, 2015
    I would have gave this game a 10 if I didn't have to use a mod to get better graphic settings.

This is a great game that took me about 70 hours to beat! I got completely stomped on by the O&S battle more than 30 times and took a lot of week long breaks playing due to how difficult some of the areas are. This game has restored my faith in gaming. This game doesn't hold your hand and

This game has restored my faith in gaming. This game doesn't hold your hand and doesn't have tons of check points to restart from. You must plan every move carefully to advance.

If you are a casual gamer who likes to play games for the sake of making progress every time you log in then stay away. This game will test your abilities as a gamer as well as your patience.
  12. Mar 31, 2015
    Despite the broken port it's a MASTERPIECE. A game you'll be thinking about while working, learning, praying, eating, banging. Of course if you like difficult and rewarding games plus you have a gamepad.
  13. Mar 28, 2015
    ***Super Late Entry***Take the amazing console versions add the worthy DLC,a low price and enhancements due to mods and you the Ultimate game. A must buy.
  14. Feb 23, 2015
    Probably one of the most console-like games I've ever played on a PC. This definitely starts with an annoying controller setup. Jumping in this game is silly. The gameplay and story line, on the other hand, are rivaled by few. You really have to pay attention for it, though. The bosses seem different, but most are stab-in-butt-until-victory sorts. Few bosses are different andProbably one of the most console-like games I've ever played on a PC. This definitely starts with an annoying controller setup. Jumping in this game is silly. The gameplay and story line, on the other hand, are rivaled by few. You really have to pay attention for it, though. The bosses seem different, but most are stab-in-butt-until-victory sorts. Few bosses are different and parrying is oddly calculated, making what seems like great timing turn out as instant death.
    I do enjoy this game, though, having played over 150 hours in the game, so some part of it might be captivating. There are numerous ways to play the game, including well-developed classes which are better balanced than many other games.
  15. Jan 28, 2015
    PROS:

- Exploration is great. - Map design is brilliant. - Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master. - Game feels very rewarding after beating tough boss/passage. - Game is fair and does not cheat on you. - Atmosphere is dark, heavy and keep you tense. - GFWL is gone, only Steam is needed. - Challenges can be often beaten by many ways. - Co-op and interesting multiplayer
    PROS:

- Exploration is great.
    - Map design is brilliant.
    - Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master.
    - Game feels very rewarding after beating tough boss/passage.
    - Game is fair and does not cheat on you.
    - Atmosphere is dark, heavy and keep you tense.
    - GFWL is gone, only Steam is needed.
    - Challenges can be often beaten by many ways.
    - Co-op and interesting multiplayer mechanics.
    - Bloodstains of dead players can tell you what killed them.
    - Messages from other player to help you/troll you.
    - Game can be easily played on keyboard and mouse.

CONS:
    - Game mechanics are not that well explained in game, you should look through a Dark Souls Wiki or a beginners guide.
    - Not very interesting story.
    - No map, you can get lost sometimes.
    - Inventory made for consoles (of course!) and is controlled by keys. (Not a problem after few minutes)

Easy fixable CONS:
    - Mouse feels a bit weird, but there are fixes to deal with that. (DSMfix)
    - Graphics is outdated, but there are many graphics mods on Dark Souls Nexus.
    - FPS, resolution and other things are easily unlockable/modable by DSfix.

I bought a XBOX controller before getting this game. I ditched it after couple of hours, when i discovered that game is easier on K+M. In fact controls are changeable for the keyboard and mouse, but not for controller. Dont believe people complaining about controls and graphics. They are lazy retards, they didnt even bother to do 1minute long google search to fix few things. This is one of the best games i have ever played.
  16. Jan 27, 2015
    Bad PC port, but this game is still good enough to deserve a 10. It has a brilliant plot, combat system, world and artistic design. Just please do not call it an RPG, as there are no plot altering decisions here.
  17. Jan 22, 2015
    Man... this game. You play it and it's kinda fun at first and it's called "Prepare to Die" so you're ok with dying. At least you think you are.

Then you meet the Taurus Demon and it keeps killing you even though you feel like you should be able to do the technique, it's not that hard, and a few times you get close but no cigar. You make one mistake and you're a spot of entrails and blood on stone. In the end you get frustrated and you mess up on the way back to the demon, before you can reclaim all the souls you were carrying, and you lose 14000 souls which is a lot to you because you're a complete noob. And you get angry, you shut the game down and you hate life.

And yet, an hour later you're back, you face the demon again and this time you get it. It dissolves and you feel like a hero. For about a minute until you run onto a bridge and a Wyvern roasts you from above with no warning at all and for no apparent reason. You realize that the game is never going to play fair. On the way back you see a comment left by a player that you should use ranged weapons. Surely he doesn't want you to fight that fire-breathing hellhound with wings?! You look it up online and find out you should shoot the wyvern's tail while hiding below the bridge. You do and you get a cool sword, an awesome one. And now the Hollow fear you, they fall before you like sheep to the slaughter and you can now face up to the big lump of armor in the cellar who wields something that looks like it's the petrified bone of a giant chicken and you kill the damn thing and he drops a very cool ring. Now you can move fast while in armor and now you want to see more. You want to fight more. Sure, you're still a noob but you get it now, you want to be more, to practice your parry and riposte, your movements, your strikes.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

(Edit: The game itself is a clear 10 but the port to PC is so poor it has to be a 9. If you want to play it on PC, you need to look up DSFix and if you want to use keyboard/mouse also DSMfix in the newest versions. This game needs work and patience to run on a PC but the game itself is worth it once it does)
  18. Dec 27, 2014
    A game that unforgivingly punishes you for your mistakes, with death never far away even against the most lowly of ingame characters. There is none of that fetch quest back and forth nonsense here as seen in the likes of Skyrim, just a deep dark, surprisingly interconnected, world for you to lose yourself, stripped back of all the gimmicks used in many other games. Frustration will giveA game that unforgivingly punishes you for your mistakes, with death never far away even against the most lowly of ingame characters. There is none of that fetch quest back and forth nonsense here as seen in the likes of Skyrim, just a deep dark, surprisingly interconnected, world for you to lose yourself, stripped back of all the gimmicks used in many other games. Frustration will give way to a rewarding feeling of achievement, as you learn your way and progress. Expand
  19. Nov 19, 2014
    There is no reason not much to write, this is a must play, so in a nutshell. Best game of the last generation and one of the best game in history. Enjoy this refined diamond!!!
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is everything an RPG Fan seeking for a little more challenge could ever hope for. This is hands down one of the hardest AAA games in the last 10 years, but having excellent gameplay that requires alot of dedication and time to master.
    The story, while not easily understood by the average player, isn't actually too bad - if you take the time to read item descriptions, listen to the more than often mad NPCs and keep adding new pieces to this story puzzle.

Only downsides are:
    - weak graphics & technical execution ( INSTALL DSFIX!!! IT TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES AND WILL MAKE THE GAME ALOT MORE ENJOYABLE!!!)
    - unplayable keyboard controls (you definitely want a gamepad for this)
    - Online features not working as intended, mainly due to Games for Windows Live ( Thanks, Microsoft.)

But all of those points (except the online thing sadly) can be easily fixed and once solved, provide a unique gaming "experience". Yes I did just use the word experience. Dark Souls is literally a journey of emotions, from depression to unlimited joy. Just don't give up on it.
  21. Oct 13, 2014
    Poorly designed port but can be fixed easily by downloading dsfix and placing it in your DS folder. Game all but requires a controller but I prefer controllers so I won't knock it for that.
  22. Oct 13, 2014
    A horrible port of a great game. The biggest problem I have with this: I had to download 5 mods for it to work. And even now, the most deaths come from the retarded function that switches locked targets when you just slightly move your mouse ... which you have to use to attack in the first place. Despite the flaws, the game is still way above average as well as a serious challenge.
  23. Sep 17, 2014
    A beautiful game. A game, so rich in lore and pristine storytelling, surely people can get past the PC port issue. The enchanting music, interesting characters and unique game-play make this one of the greatest games of all times. When a game almost makes me tear up after killing a hostile boss, you know that it's pretty amazing. The Daughters of Chaos story makes me feel things I neverA beautiful game. A game, so rich in lore and pristine storytelling, surely people can get past the PC port issue. The enchanting music, interesting characters and unique game-play make this one of the greatest games of all times. When a game almost makes me tear up after killing a hostile boss, you know that it's pretty amazing. The Daughters of Chaos story makes me feel things I never thought a game could make me feel. But unfortunately it does have faults so that is why it is only a 9. Expand
  24. Sep 16, 2014
    The game itself is amazing, graphics are pretty nice, the flow of the map and game run very nice and the lore is pretty damn cool if you look it up. The controls is what people seem to have the biggest issue with and yeah it's not as smooth as a lot of games but you can use a controller or download a mod to fix things up.

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to try it, seemed difficult and the controls did get to me but after giving this game a second chance and installing a mouse mod to help I really came to love the game. I have beat it twice now and am on my third run through, I always find myself looking up more lore about the game because it is so interesting. I would give the game overall a 9 out of 10 but I am giving it a 10 here to offset the stupid reviews here giving it a 0 for no reason but them being to dumb to comprehend anything about this game.

Buy this game if you like a good challenge and wanna try something new.
  25. Sep 12, 2014
    Dark Souls is a very unique game. For one, It has a very rich and detailed story with many characters, but it's told to you in a way that is indirect. You either have to figure out what's happened to this desolate world by talking with people in it and noticing clues, or you'll be left in the dark. Their are many choices to be made as well, like what covenant to join or which direction toDark Souls is a very unique game. For one, It has a very rich and detailed story with many characters, but it's told to you in a way that is indirect. You either have to figure out what's happened to this desolate world by talking with people in it and noticing clues, or you'll be left in the dark. Their are many choices to be made as well, like what covenant to join or which direction to go or what weapons to use, and there's no one right answer for every playthrough you might do. Finally there's the notoriously unforgiving combat and dungeons. While not being too complex, it's refined enough to give you many options for different situations to get you through the game.
    All these things tied in with the beautiful graphics, atmosphere, story, and boss battles make Dark Souls a unique experience you will not soon forget. While the online and co-op aspects of the game are somewhat lacking, the other aspects more than make up for it.
    This isn't going to be a game for everyone, but if you're the typical gamer that craves a challenge, then you should definately hit Dark Souls up.
  26. Sep 4, 2014
    Get gamepad controller, DSfix (to tweak performance and quality) and DSCfix (for better connection with friend-list players and either non-friend with DSCfix installed), so you are ready to go (it will be long)...

Dark Souls is just perfectly done old-school Action-RPG, not affected with latest games "innovations" (sarkasm). #Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its

#Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its some sort of open, just great designed, where everything fits with everything , with atmosphere around, interconnected areas which makes exploration awesome, very interesting locations, no chances to boring around),
    #Greatly done, deep combat, especially boss fights and PvP, near every weapon have diffirent movesets, here are comboses, blocks, counters, rolls, jumping attacks, challenging enemies, everything what makes combat superior, need to play some more time it out to know what I'm talkin about, only backstabbs are some sort of cheap feature,
    #Character development - earned souls are like expierience points and some sort of cash, raising attributes is well done, there are plenty of them, which every of them have affect on our gameplay, inventory managment is great too, lot of customization and good upgrade weapons/armors system, And there are no best equipment, it all depends how are you playing and how do you use things to make yourself complete...
    #World lore and characters - who goes deep in game, knows what Im talking about,
    #Game design - art design of game is just excellent... Everything in game is not generic, is just well crafted, detailed as hell, world locations, enemies, bosses (awesome), items, evetything around looks like hand made masterpiece, From Software earned applaus again here,
    #Sound effects - good, which fits to game, einvorment SFX, and soundtrack, which some tracks here are again some memorable masterpiece (Four Kings theme, Golem/Stray theme, Gwyn theme),
    #Gameplay/Atmosphere - game plays excellent and long, well done controls if played on gamepad ( well, its console port), combat, exploration, suiting yourself with better things, discovering deep world around and rich game mechanics, nothing more to tell ;), no chances to gets bored, atmosphere of game is thick as hell,
    #Online interactions - well there are messages leaving system, PvP and Co-operation system, and other miscelanous things, that shows other players egsistence, Well there are flaws and bad things, but about bad later. PvP and Co-op are great additions which makes gameplay more and more awesome, combat system is just great for PvP (tons of people just made characters for PvP only). On beggining it can be overhelming, but after some hours spended here it will be superior expierience.... And there are a lot of various covenants, which have affect on how we will interact online.
    #Artorias of the Abyss DLC content - fullfilment to the core game, great quality addition, best bosses from the game here,

Bad things
    #Port quality - issues can be fixed with DSfix tool, mentioned above,
    #Online play quality - one big mess here, annoying GFWL system, all time lags (you must all time think some seconds forward, forseeing alot), not depending a lot on our connection quality, damn bad players pairing, most of time invasion/summoning failed communicates, often disconnections, it makes online playing only for players with some patience, I didnt ever saw worse than that online playing system on my eyes, check it out to get qucikly annoyed....

So final - game is overall masterpiece. From Software made near perfect game, made for gamers, not just for commercials (sadly, Dark Souls 2 gone to wrong way...) Game that you need to play, if you like action-RPG (well mixed, lot of action), with great depth in its, a lot of memorable things there, 10/10 note fully desreved. Issues to bad port quality can be easily fixed, so I dont take that on final opinion. One of the best games made ever. That's not a lie people, play it by yourselfs. Worth buying without any hestitations, and its very cheap to buy in this time.
  27. Sep 2, 2014
    I mean, besides the god awful PC port, its one of the better games i've played. I came from the land of DkS2 first, so I was at some sort of an advantage. I mean, this one is a lot less linear, a lot more intimidating, and thats good. I mean, there just isn't anything to be said that hasn't been said, but I will say this
    Git this game and GitGudScrub
  28. Aug 21, 2014
    Dark Souls was one hell of a game, a serious game. The graphics though slightly dated have a neat, unique touch to them that still stands out to this day. The atmosphere and setting of this game had a lot of care. This is not a typical hack n slash game where you can run in swords blazing and rip everything to shreds. This game required patience, tactical fighting, and timed blocking andDark Souls was one hell of a game, a serious game. The graphics though slightly dated have a neat, unique touch to them that still stands out to this day. The atmosphere and setting of this game had a lot of care. This is not a typical hack n slash game where you can run in swords blazing and rip everything to shreds. This game required patience, tactical fighting, and timed blocking and healing. Another thing I liked about this game was the magnitude of exploration required and the huge rewards for doing so. Exploration is key in this game. I guess I might as well share I loved the staggering amount of armor and weapons to be found. Expand
  29. Aug 18, 2014
    one of the best games i've ever played but maybe not for everyone since there's alot of trial and error and backtracking. still it's very addictive and the atmosphere/combat are amazing.
    the PC port is the worst port i've ever seen but modded it becomes even better than the console versions.
    note: u WILL need a controller to play it or else u're gimping yourself.
  30. Jul 4, 2014
    Best game of its generation, if you like games where you actually have to think about what you're doing . Best combat system ever. Hard to learn, but really rewarding.
  31. Jul 1, 2014
    Everything abut the game is amazing, except the port, but that is easy enough to fix with DSfix. A complex and epic fantasy story, a well done combat system that will leave you craving more, and plenty of mods to make the game run and look amazing.
  32. Jun 19, 2014
    Yes, you get killed a lot. But though I'm easily frustrated, in this game that doesn't stop me from coming back. You have 10 slots and classes play remarkably different, weapons feel different too. But what noone mentioned this game has certainly the best level design I ever experienced. So I really recommend it. And if you play use a game controller. As a PC player I always avoided them.Yes, you get killed a lot. But though I'm easily frustrated, in this game that doesn't stop me from coming back. You have 10 slots and classes play remarkably different, weapons feel different too. But what noone mentioned this game has certainly the best level design I ever experienced. So I really recommend it. And if you play use a game controller. As a PC player I always avoided them. But it is the your natural weapon of choice in this game and amazingly...it works! Expand
  33. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1/10 - I didn't die.
  34. May 30, 2014
    When I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran isWhen I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran is worth mentioning in particular, because it is Dark Soul's main character. I never imagined a level designer could communicate so much through architecture and geography as was done through Lordran. Expand
  35. May 30, 2014
    Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

This game is the most original and inspirational action RPG I've ever played. I love it. It gives you everything. But can be daunting for people new to the game. Please stick with it - it is rewarding and fun. Use the Wikis for it if you get stuck - there are three very good ones. But most importantly don't let yourself be put off by frustration, especially that born of the PvP and being invaded early in the game.

Cheating by PvP'ers who invade is a toxic problem, (And this isn't people who twink gear down to lower levels which although it is insurmountable for new players [and is thus in and of itself frustrating] it isn't actually cheating). The problem is that people can fix their game so they have high resists, high health, high damage, and more. . . http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cheating-more-than-death-in-dark-souls.

The game is great - but if you are just getting into it - just be mindful of the state of Cheat Engine usage - and disable (with firewall rules) GFWL till you get more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics. The sure fire method of enjoying the game is to simply Alt F4 when you are told you are being invaded, (read the Wiki to know when NPCs are invading as you will want to fight them). Then once you are backing up your save games, (called save scumming), and are comfortable with the game, then give PvP a try if you are invaded - But expect to encounter someone who has a frozen health bar, or unlimited stamina, or a weapon that reduces your stats to 25% and teleports you to Anor Londo, (see the article), or some other impossible ability - And expect them every third person who invades.
  36. May 26, 2014
    At first i was told "you won't like it, it's freaking hard" and i have a bad temper so i stayed
    away from this game then i was like "hell, why not" then i was like "How dare you keep me from this masterpiece!" lol with that said...

This game is everything i wanted in a sword and sorcery adventure game, I like that it doesn't have a set path to follow and bringing back true difficulty in gaming that i have not seen sense 1985 /1992 games.
    The graphics are not Directx11 but it still looks very amazing, they did well considering it's a port.
    Game play is solid, after a couple of hours you have it all down so no worries, from speed dodging techniques to tanking it up and going toe to toe you have a lot of choices here.
  37. May 17, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014 8 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ImageI'll be honest with you. This is game is actually one of the best of this generation and offers so many unique aspect lost on modern games. That feeling you get for just achieving something so simple is amazing, lost on so many recent titles. Sadly a would be perfect
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014

Sadly a would be perfect experience is ruined by a sloppy port.
  38. Apr 26, 2014
    To be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, theTo be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, the controls are good (BUT only if you use a gamepad). The game is pretty hard, everyone knows that, but it is not impossible, you just need to have some skills in it, if you learn on your mistakes - you will be victorious in Dark Souls. Well, there are some minor details I didn't like - for example - you can kill or be killed hitting through a wall. But overall, the game is great, I understand all the hype and praise it gets. The sloppy port was greatly fixed, so the gamers rank here is way too low. Expand
  39. Apr 26, 2014
    Although a semi-decent console port on PC, the stellar game design still pulls it through. Probably got away with it for being a small cult game initially. One of my all-time favourite.
  40. Apr 24, 2014
    Dark Souls is an unique gaming experience, and I'm glad I give it a second chance.
    I started playing it at release in 2012 but fast getting frustrated and bored after about 20 hours.
    With Dark Souls 2 close to release I decided to give it another try and what can I say? I love it now ! This time I was mutch more careful, I prepared myself for every encounter and take my time when I
    This time I was mutch more careful, I prepared myself for every encounter and take my time when I arrived at a new area.
    In consequence of that I died a lot less what led to less frustration and less repetition.
    I think the main problem for a lot of gamer nowadays is that we not longer used to this kind of slow paced gameplay. Your decisions have always impact in the world of Dark Souls. The atmosphere and the level / enemy design is great, combat is challenging and the voice acting is out of this world.
    Would give probably a 9 but the terrible frame-rate issues cost DS a point (even with mods).
  41. Apr 24, 2014
    Dear God the port is awful but you know what? If you have a game-pad the horrible port can be set aside as it works just as well as it would on a console (with a few minor issues). Regardless of the terrible port this game is a stunningly beautiful, dark and deeply enticing masterpiece that is a must buy for any RPG fan!
  42. Apr 20, 2014
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    The modded version of this game is an adult RPG masterpiece. This game is the ultimate thinking mans rpg. The game has a great look and feel to it. The combat is tough and best used with a gamepad. The sound and the voice acting are really unique. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for its bizarre and tough to follow story. Don't be scared off by the toughness of this game. Follow the path of least resistance and you'll be fine.
  43. Apr 20, 2014
    A lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard andA lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, and I actually prefer it over a controller. If you don't believe me, look up "Dark Souls Mouse Fix". It makes the camera control with the mouse super smooth. In fact, in my personal experience keyboard+mouse controls are more precise that those of controllers.

As far as the game itself, there is not much to say asides from it being a complete masterpiece. Fun and addictive combat. Mysterious, dark atmosphere, cool environments. And an intriguing storyline, the presentation of which is very, very unique. The game is very challenging, and yeah, some aspects of it can be quite difficult, especially if you're new to the game.

In short, an amazing, epic journey that you will not easily forget. Getting used to the somewhat untraditional keyboard controls is IMO a small sacrifice for the privilege of experiencing this masterpiece.
  44. Apr 17, 2014
    The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.

Overall a fantastic game. Definitely worth getting on the PC.
  45. Apr 12, 2014
    i worried before playing this game
    coz of i heard Dark Souls is so Difficult Game..
    and i played and felt
    yeah its so difficult so Hard~
    but Amazing Funny!
  46. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unlessPort issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  47. Mar 25, 2014
    Really Excellent game.... Something that provides a challenge for a person. it also teaches a person patience and that is key for completing the game.
  48. Mar 24, 2014
    Prepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupidPrepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupid nostril hairs. Expand
  49. Mar 21, 2014
    First game I ever give a 10/10 to so far on metacritic! This game triumphs in so many areas:

1. RPG... you do feel like you are playing a character and NPC reponses to you are so varied and customized to your situation that you really feel like you are talking to real people! Even though you never spoke in the game, how the NPCs react to you truly feels like you are having a conversation without the need for any conversation choices!

2. Graphics... dark and gloomy design along with the music to bring out the mood of despair and desperation... the occassional appearance of other online player's spook truly made the world feel real and alive with horror. This is the first time I feel so engrossed in a game world... the feeling of this world is the complete opposite to the feeling of Divinity series.

3. Combat... lumberous and frustrating at first but once you get used to it, its extremely realistic to real life combat. I find myself respecting and actually circling for opportunities to attack a simple zombie when I would have graciously rushed hordes of them in other games. The enemies are not generic models that does basically the same things. Every enemy and their variations have their unique combat characteristics and sometimes throw moves that will surprise you!

4. Replayability... yes, this is one game that makes you replay a certain area tens or even hundreds of times by dying and resurrecting at a bon fire. This may feel frustrating at first but the fact that everytime you go back to the bon fire, you are actually getting better and stronger makes it very satisfying.

All in all, I am surprised by how awesome this game is and I wonder why I hadn't played it before even though I bought it at a discount a long time ago! MUST TRY!
  50. Mar 17, 2014
    My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me,My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me, I loved everything about it. :) Expand
  51. Mar 16, 2014
    Sword and Enemys...perfect mixture. Alike Witcher, Dark Souls is a solid game. A few weeks ago got DS (75% off). Before playing i got always a: Too hard...well really is that hard on begin...but at sometime u will learn that a good pair sword and shield will not influence that much on game.

Most impórtant is strategy after learning enemies is their modus operandi. After it u can enjoy DS. At very beggining it will die until learn that. So a tip id give...learn then after it kill
  52. TSB
    Mar 12, 2014
    Good game in general .
    THE GOOD : Great gameplay- very good boss fight - challenging game - world design is nice .
    THE BAD : bad port you will need DSfix to get better res and texture - the story telling is not good - almost no sound track .
  53. Mar 11, 2014
    A genuinely amazing game. From the incredibly lonely and crushing atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack that ranges from subtle to bombastic, to the satisfying combat and fantastic sense of accomplishment that the game offers - Dark Souls has it all. This is perhaps the most important game of the 7th generation of consoles.
  54. Mar 4, 2014
    Probably the best game I've played in my Xbox 360, and it's now in PC.

Probably the best game I've played in my Xbox 360, and it's now in PC.

The port has some problems but you have to understand first where did it come from. This game wasn't meant to be never in a PC, but fans loved it so much that they started a collection of signatures just to have it on PC. So From Software heard the people and took the step. Even so, the "technical problems" are so small compared with the greatness of this game, that you should be ignoring them soon when you feel inmersed in Lordran. But yes, you better use a X360 or PS3 controller like.

This game needs some learning, it's full of mysteries, has infinite possibilities for your character, every weapon has a unique design and move set, and when you combine that with all the spells, armors and other items... well, then you are hooked forever. Because this game is already thrilling, challenging, has one of the very bests scene design I ever seen and it's full of art design and dark stories the first time you play it. But after that, and when you start to fully understand the whole game mechanics, you want more and more. It's a game that you can complete 3, 4... 7 times and you will eventually come back for more. It has an unique multiplayer system and if you enjoy the solo game, you will find that the emotion of being invaded by players, or hunting others in their worlds as a dark spectre adds a lot to the already exciting game wich is Dark Souls.

I won't say that this is a very difficult game and it's only meant for some players, because that is not true. The game is fair, the game needs some learning process, and once you go through it (and when you are going through it) you enjoy the game more and more. This game just has a bit of "old school" philosophy, and I'm pretty sure that I could name an infinite number of much more difficult and cruel games... it's just that it would be much more easier to pick those games from the early 00s, 90s or 80s maybe. We got used to be guided, and if we are not we can even get frustrated.

Personally. I love this game so much and I hate it somehow. I love it because of all its greatness. And I hate it because after this game I just compare any other game I play with Dark Souls. And that makes me go back to play it.
  55. Feb 28, 2014
    Do not listen to those ignorant saying it's a bad port... all you need is a patch you can easily copy/paste in your files. Repairs everything that needs to be repaired.

This game is just pure absolute amazingness ... Don't take my word on it. read the reviews.
  56. Feb 26, 2014
    A: You MUST have a console controller to play this game in a way that is fun.

That out of the way, Dark Souls really does deserve the love it gets. Harsh but very enjoyable, it hearkens back to when Video games demanded that you BEAT them, not just went along for a ride with a pat on the head and unlimited everything.

Hoping the Dark Souls 2 port to PC is a bit cleaner.
  57. Feb 26, 2014
    Not as challenging as some make it out to be, but more so than most other modern games. With a mod and a controller this is a truly gripping, immersive game with alot of re playability.
  58. Feb 7, 2014
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've experienced no technical problems, no crashes (despite frequently tabbing out), 1680/1050.
    I find this game perfectly fine to play with keyboard+mouse, though it takes a little getting used to at first. I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player will have to stumble through the world essentially following the developer's intended path and rate of progression, overcoming increasing obsticles while they become stronger and more experienced.
    Whereas familiar players can (deliberately) skip swaths of areas and obtain powerful items very early if they wish.
    in addition, experienced (or researched) players can also take advantage of the crafting system and multiple new-game+ modes.
    Despite being told the contrary, I have not found this to be a difficult game, it is instead a very punishing game. If you play recklessly and make a mistake, you will be punished for it, but if you play smart, you can easily defeat anything this game puts in your path.
    The best comparison I have experienced is WoW Heroic raiding where there is very little room for error and a single mistake can cause your death (and often wipe the raid).
    Some people mention the old-school Shinobi in reference to difficulty, which doesn't really do Dark Souls justice, as where old games required lightning reflexes to overcome, the deliberate unbreakable animation system in dark souls (which some refer to as unresponsive and clunky) allows for more leniency in response times,
    ie. if you dodge or block, the enemy will be stuck in that animation for the duration, during which you can safely strike back (and the same applies when you fail an attack)
    because of this, the game is not restricted to 'twitch' players, which in turn makes it perhaps one of the more 'open' games, though not quite 'turn-based'.
    A healthy grandmother/father would likely have no more trouble at playing this game than anyone else.
    I've heard this game was buggy upon launch, all I can say to that is get the fan patch which will make it perfectly fine.
    At this point I can think of no reason not at least try playing Dark Souls.
  59. Feb 5, 2014
    An excellent "sequel" to From Softwares "Demon's Souls", Dark Souls is an unforgiving, open world romp through a dark fantasy world. You play as a Dark Sign cursed Undead, doomed to die and come back until eventually you go mad from it. However you are captured and put into the Undead Asylum, where the Undead wait for the end of the world. You however, with some help manage to get out andAn excellent "sequel" to From Softwares "Demon's Souls", Dark Souls is an unforgiving, open world romp through a dark fantasy world. You play as a Dark Sign cursed Undead, doomed to die and come back until eventually you go mad from it. However you are captured and put into the Undead Asylum, where the Undead wait for the end of the world. You however, with some help manage to get out and start out on a quest to discover the true destiny of the Dark Signed cursed Undead. At the beginning you'll be asked to make a character from one of many starting classes, but don't think you'll be regimented to playing a certain way the entire game. The upgrade system is open and allows you(through increasingly steep costs) to upgrade your abilities in any way you see fit. And as you should, for if you die(and you will) to one of the many horrors or pitfalls that litter the land of Lordan, you will lose of the precious 'Souls' needed to upgrade your stats and purchase services from the few sane Undead that remain there. Die a second time on the way to 'Reclaim your power' and those Souls are gone forever.

The game offers a large challenge in that enemies are fairly aggressive and will chase you for quite some time, along with many of them using group tactics to overwhelm your defenses or just being so much stronger than you that a head-on fight is tantamount to suicide. No, Dark Souls punishes those that treat this like a "hack and slash" game like so many 'action-rpgs' that have come before it. You must consider everything going forward in the world of Dark Souls and every enemy has it's own strengths and weaknesses that you can exploit and look out for.

Graphically, the game is fairly impressive looking but isn't stellar by any means. However, the art design, along with the weapon, equipment and monster designs are both familiar and alien at the same time. The first dragon you see is nothing like the standard fire-breathing red lizard with wings that is so popular in fiction. However, something like that shows up fairly early and it's not even a boss. The game is dark and I mean that both figuratively and literally. Many areas are so black that you'll need a spell or special item to see more than a foot in front of you and you'll want these to keep you from stumbling into enemies lying in wait. Or pitfalls just begging for someone to step over them into the gaping void.

The game features a unique multiplayer aspect in the form of 'Invasions', 'Summons' and 'Covenants'. 'Invasions' are just as they sound, another player(with the help of certain items) can invade your game to try and kill you for both Souls and even more precious Humanity(another commodity you need to continue on). However there are balances to keep someone from being constantly invaded by players much further along(usually, I will get back to this). 'Summons' can happen one of two ways, the player can lay down a 'Summon Sign' to offer their services to another player online to defeat a local area boss or if the player is 'Human' instead of 'Hollow' they can summon other players to help them with a local area boss. Finally, 'Covenants' have their own set of rules that influence 'Summons' and 'Invasions'. Some allow you to 'infect' other worlds(players games) with powerful enemies but at the cost of opening the infector to 'Invasion' by up to three people at a time. Another offers numerous chances to 'Invade' other characters if they tarry in a specific area of the game, however there is no upper limit to whom they may invade so the invaders may find they bite off more than they can chew at times. Another 'Covenant' allows you to invade frequent invaders and punish them(i.e. kill them) for their 'Sins'.

Onto combat and controls, the game offers a wealth of weapons and armor that all affect how you fight. Do you prefer dodging around your foe and harrying them with quick attacks then backing off before they can even face you? Or cladding yourself in the heaviest armor you have and wading into melee with a massive two-handed sword, letting your ability to shrug off lesser blows carry you while you cleave them in twain? Or something in-between? They're all possible and the game rewards experimentation.

As for negatives, the game on PC as of late has had a flux of cheaters as of this review. People who use certain programs to reduce their Soul Level(your overall power rating, numbering from 1 to over 700) low enough that it allows them to invade anyone, even new players while using things like infinite health or weapons/equipment far more powerful than the first time player is even capable of getting. However they can be avoided by staying Hollow, but this can cut off certain scenarios that allow you to see more scenes or get different items. Another sour note is that even though the game was ported to PC, there are still areas that suffer massive framerate drop but that is more of the engines fault.
  60. Feb 1, 2014
    First off, it must be said that the fixes found on Dark Souls Nexus are a Must. You are able to up the frame rate, add on better textures, and it fixes frame drops. Now, it is a very, very hard game, but if you have the patience or are willing to develop some patience, this game is very rewarding. BEST game I have ever played, sooo good.
  61. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is beauty.
    The port isn't great, it isn't playable with mouse and keyboard, but this game is the reason why I bought a 360 controller for my pc, and I can say it's worth it.
    This game is beauty.

Game is hard and punishing, but has a really customizable gameplay: there are several fighting styles, you may farm souls to level up early or just stay at level 1 the whole game, and the game is open world.

Buy this game if you miss the good old days, where games weren't pay2win or designed for people who don't want to think, just win.
  62. Jan 7, 2014
    After installing the DSfix and hooking up my Xbox controller, I was completely sucked into this world. Like Armored Core, another one of Fromsoft's game series, The game is fairly challenging, but fair.

Every single one of my deaths were caused by either a mistake or a lack of caution on my part. If I rushed into a room before surveying it, I was punished. If I used the wrong type of shield in a fight, I was punished. The game does a good job of subtly teaching you its mechanics without posting on-screen hints in the middle of boss battles.

I also liked how each boss taught me something about the game. The Asylum Demon taught me how to observe my surroundings and how to use them to my advantage, the taurus Demon reinforced that lesson, the Bell Tower Guardians taught me about weak points, etc.

I will warn new players about the online aspect of the game. In my opinion, it does a perfect job of allowing players to either help each other out, or to ruin each other's days. I fell in love with PVP combat in this game, and even after beating it a few days after release, I am still playing it for its PVP. That said, new players can get turned off by the game fairly easily because of how unexpectedly another (and possibly more experienced) player can invade their world.Another big turn off is the abundance of trainer users that are online.

One thing to remember about this game is to give it a chance. Dark Souls is an acquired taste, and I guarantee that you will feel very satisfied once you beat it. Fromsoftware has easily become my favourite developer because they try to make their games as satisfying as possible.

Never give up, and Prepare to Die.
  63. Jan 2, 2014
    To get the bad out of the way: the graphics are appalling and playing with standard PC gear is abysmal. If you want to relax and play this game for 30 mins after your tea, don't bother.

However, once you're holding a controller in your hands, and you're sitting sit down alone for a day, you realise that none of that matters. This game is exceptional. To start, the combat system is

To start, the combat system is precise. Dark Souls is near-sadistic in its expectations of you as a gamer. You're expected to be watchful and learn how enemies move, and then formulate exactly how to continue, whether that be with well-timed ripostes and backstabs, tactical luring with bows and throwing knives, or causing devastation by throwing golden spears of holy lightening into your foes heads. No matter the method, you're always one miss-click from seeing 'you died' plastered on the screen (get used to it). Seems unappealing, but It's this difficulty that makes it oh-so rewarding when you do finally reach the next checkpoint, or you finally conquer the boss-demon that you spent the last 50 mins of your life dying to. You did it, not the game 'holding your hand', it was your skill that got you through. It's unlike any game in recent memory in this regard. The bread and butter of any gaming experience is its mechanics, and Dark Souls certainly doesn't disappoint.

Being terse in regards to the story, as to not give spoilers, it's dark in both it's twisted nature and in the relative subtlety of its presentation. You're not assaulted with cut-scenes and shiny audiologs, no, you 'experience' the story around you, in worlds which, despite the dated graphics, are beautiful in design. You get a 'feel' for the lore without it ever feeling impressed upon. Again, if you don't spend the time 'taking it in', you won't get it.

One of the backbones of Dark Souls is its online integration. You will be helped by other players and killed by other players, you'll be sharing your victories (like hearing the bell-tower ring when ever another player defeats a certain boss), and you'll be sharing your defeats (pools of blood are laid in your world, containing the ill-fated last moments of others). Your interaction with fellow gamers has enough volume to stop Dark Souls from being lonely, to spur you on when you need it, but yet is cryptic enough not to break the immersion. Don't think for one moment that this game is social media.

On balance, once you've remedied the problems of the shoddy PC port(buy a controller!), this becomes one of the best games of the last decade. It's dark in it's story-telling, brutal in it's combat and uncompromising in it's approach. It's an adrenaline rush, and a bloody brilliant one at that. Hand-on-heart recommend for the strong of heart gamer.
  64. Jan 2, 2014
    I hated this game with all my heart, but after 10 hours, somehow I got hooked.
    If you think it's too hard, I recommend you to loosely follow a guide to help you where to go and what to do.
    I have a controller, I love to use it, and the DSfix does wonders.
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    not that good port to pc not much graphic option xbox 360 controller mapping and still i give this game a 10/10 2011 we had the witcher 2 m skyrim and this legendary RPG i was hesitant to play this game but i decided to give a try and am glad i did because for the 7 next days i fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing this game this game is not for everyone it is foe hardcorenot that good port to pc not much graphic option xbox 360 controller mapping and still i give this game a 10/10 2011 we had the witcher 2 m skyrim and this legendary RPG i was hesitant to play this game but i decided to give a try and am glad i did because for the 7 next days i fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing this game this game is not for everyone it is foe hardcore gamers only of you play games for fun then this game is not for you Expand
  66. Dec 20, 2013
    This game really isn't that hard, but it's still a lot of fun.
    The combat is addicting, the world is big and theres a lot of replay ablity.

The port sucks though.
  67. Dec 13, 2013
    I don't understand how people can give this game a zero rating, this is one of the best games ever made, the addon allows 60 fps and greatly improves the texture, provided you install the addon the pc version is much better than the console version, though I'd highly recommend using a controller preferably 360) as the game is not as fun without one.
  68. Dec 11, 2013
    It's a fine maybe even great game as long as you don't care to play with a controller which makes it way easier. Also the port to pc wasn't great but it is not even close to game breaking. It is hard and challenging everything you need in a game
  69. Dec 4, 2013
    Hace mucho no jugaba algo tan difícil y la historia me gusto mucho, aunque creo que podrían mejorar el apartado gráfico.

Espero que la saga siga mejorando con los moustros y la historia.
  70. Dec 2, 2013
    I played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (cameraI played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (camera was fine, frame rate fine, resolution fine, etc.).

That being said, as I am sure one can discern based upon the critical reception, the game is fantastic with one caveat, if you go into it expecting hand holding consistent with how most games have been made over the past decade it's something of a rude awakening. The game is difficult but not as awe inspiringly challenging as some would have you believe, rather it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out the fairly basic mechanics of how the game works where it punishes you and where it doesn't it's no more difficult than playing another game in it's "hard" mode. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the challenge.

A complaint of mine has been that too many games you fly through the game without ever pausing to really take in the surroundings. Not so with Dark Souls in large part because the game forces you to proceed cautiously rushing into any area generally will mean a fairly quick demise. Overall though, your experience of the game hugely benefits because of this. And in terms of getting bang for your buck, pulling 60 hours out of your first playthrough is not an entirely unreasonable expectation depending on how thorough you choose to be.

I will not go into the minutiae of the game itself other than to say it's the most fully realized and engrossing dark fantasy world available on the PC. The only other that comes close is the Witcher 2 (another game I would strongly recommend, though for different reasons). If you like action RPG's and don't mind a challenge, this is the ticket.
  71. Dec 1, 2013
    The PC port is downright dreadful. Don't even think about purchasing, if you don't own a controller.

The game itself is pretty solid, addicting and most of all challenging. It brings back memories of really hardcore oldschool games. Although it can be confusing, overwhelming and sometimes mindlessly frustrating, the feelings you get after each tiny step in progress cannot be put to words.
  72. Nov 29, 2013
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    Even with all the problems with the port, this game is simply stunning, not only to look at (it is beautiful) but also gameplay wise. The death works in this game is brilliant, it forces you to go deeper into the unknown everytime, you ever feel safe but its so much more satisfying if you achive a victory.
    It might take a while intil you finally dive
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    It might take a while intil you finally dive deep into the game (it took 3 seperate starts for me) you will be locked into it and then there will be no escape!
    If you are a PC gamer that can handle an easy install of a few patches and LOOOOOOOOVE RPG's this game is simply a must have.
    the mere fact that I give this game a 10/10 even though it has so many problems should speak for it self.
  73. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is simply awesome. And the people that dislike it have no idea that you can just fix the game by downloading one SINGLE mod.

By downloading DSFix you can unlock the 30 fps cap, you can go above 720p. I run this game at 40 fps cap and 1080p It's perfect I love using the controler with this game, it feels natural. So I cannot complain about the keyboard issues. The

It's perfect

The story, the atmosphere, the gameplay of this game is absolutely amazing
  74. Nov 20, 2013
    First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden,First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden, but complex story, great responsive combat system, unique multiplayer elements and extremely addictive gameplay. Yes, this can be a very challenging piece at your first playthrough, but as you learn from your mistakes and your skill goes through natural progress, you're slowly becoming a master and you will eventually fall in love with this beast. 10/10 Expand
  75. Nov 19, 2013
    This game has an awful BUT after u install and setup the unofficial patch the game is just great combat RPG lv-up elements, and finally not a game that babysits u and hold your hand... game is full of mini boss and boss fights and most of the game u will feel changed buy ai. Exploration on your own, sudden deaths, and so much depth of what looks like basic RPG is just so immersive.
    I had
    I had some issues with Big Hat Logain and had to kill last boss whit basic magics but it only made it even more rewarding at the end. Am not sure i even want to talk about awesome mp features of the game 9.9 from me but am not sure how to do it so will give it a 10 :)
    gamepad is a must
  76. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

77. Nov 16, 2013
    Dark Souls is a challenging action rpg and is enthralling...Every area you enter is an adventure. The story is told through the actions of npcs and given in tidbits through item descriptions and locations. Although not the most effective method of story telling it lends itself to excellent replay. As you complete the game you can't help, but feeling it is not the end; there is more. YouDark Souls is a challenging action rpg and is enthralling...Every area you enter is an adventure. The story is told through the actions of npcs and given in tidbits through item descriptions and locations. Although not the most effective method of story telling it lends itself to excellent replay. As you complete the game you can't help, but feeling it is not the end; there is more. You need to explore and read and listen to the dialog to find new things, new secrets new characters.
    It is like a 3d Castlevania packed with hidden secrets, weapons and short cuts. The large world is very interconnected and rife with spectacular view points allowing you to overlook the areas above and below. Areas you have been to are now off in the distance as a reminder of just how far you have come. Praise the sun!!

In spite of the minor issues with the port and bad mouse and keyboard controls its still the best rpg ever made. If you limit yourself to mouse and keyboard only then this probably isn't the game for you, but for everyone else that has the ability to learn and adapt to new challenges this a great game.
  78. Nov 14, 2013
    Refer to my previous Dark Souls review on 360 if interested. Prepare to die edition is a horrible port to the PC, it looks like an emulator running. The game never seems to work when trying to summon, or be summoned, their PVP system never worked for me, and invading seems to work the best yet there are many hackers. Besides that, I really enjoy the expansion which lasts about 3 extraRefer to my previous Dark Souls review on 360 if interested. Prepare to die edition is a horrible port to the PC, it looks like an emulator running. The game never seems to work when trying to summon, or be summoned, their PVP system never worked for me, and invading seems to work the best yet there are many hackers. Besides that, I really enjoy the expansion which lasts about 3 extra hours long, 3 new bosses, 1 can be missed. Newer spells, 1 which is overpowered, newer items, and weapons that can be forged from new boss souls. The story is interesting, but never really dives the player deep into it. You see a younger Wolf Sif, but you may miss the story behind it, and may need to resort to the Wiki to find out the details.
    Overall Score: 8.0 out of 10.
  79. Nov 12, 2013
    Be wary for those who venture on this path. Prepare to Die. More than just words on the cover. These words serve as a foreshadowing warning. Yes, this game is fun. Yes, this game is horrible. It is a challenge. Get it and try your patience and sanity. It's not for everyone, only elite gamers.
  80. Nov 11, 2013
    I heard this is the hardest game ever made, that and demons souls which I never played. Aside from just timing on dodge and parrys this game didn't seem THAT hard to me, it is probably the hardest ive played...no, the most frustrating game ive played only because sometimes checkpoints are an hour away and dieing loses your souls (currency) and if u die again before you reclaim them youI heard this is the hardest game ever made, that and demons souls which I never played. Aside from just timing on dodge and parrys this game didn't seem THAT hard to me, it is probably the hardest ive played...no, the most frustrating game ive played only because sometimes checkpoints are an hour away and dieing loses your souls (currency) and if u die again before you reclaim them you lose them all. Also the reason I give this an 8 for PC is because it was a horrible horrible console port, which you can only fix by googleing DSfix downloading it and throwing it into your data folder, then if comp savy enough to modify the script, which is a piss off, reminds me of Prototype 2 port...Anyways great game, hard as F*ck. If your a veteran hardcore gamer, this games for you, and it will still be challengeing and you will still die ALOT. That's all I gotta say. Expand
  81. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of my all time fav games i couldnt belive the shear content depth and fun into the game fighting these bosses with the new game takes some skill and thats why i love this game it takes skill not luck besides bed of cahos if i were to say one bad thing about the game it would be the pc controll's they are terrible but that does not make this a bad game the mods and wonder ofThis is one of my all time fav games i couldnt belive the shear content depth and fun into the game fighting these bosses with the new game takes some skill and thats why i love this game it takes skill not luck besides bed of cahos if i were to say one bad thing about the game it would be the pc controll's they are terrible but that does not make this a bad game the mods and wonder of the community with the pc is great and you can just plug in an xbox controller awsome game 10/10 not for noobs Expand
  82. Nov 2, 2013
    The PC port is bad but the mod called DSfix fixes everything. DSfix also enables texture modding possibilities by the way.

Anyway, the game itself is brilliant! It's easy and hard, simple and complex and fun and boring at the same time! I can't really explain it better than that lol. The combat is simple yet it flows and feels good. You have a ton of things to consider regarding gear

The combat is simple yet it flows and feels good. You have a ton of things to consider regarding gear that will change combat so much that I't quite amazing how they've manage to balance it. I'd personally love a bit more gear to choose between and possibly a real dual wield combat style.

The story is great but it isn't forced down your throat so you can kind of choose whether you want to play this as a pure arcade game, an RPG or a mix between the two. The online stuff is also great, but you can choose not to be a part of that by plugging out your internet cable.
  83. Oct 28, 2013
    Originally created for the xbox and hastily ported to the pc. But you know what? Who cares. Bad controls? Get a damn controller. Too difficult and not used to the lack of spoon feeding? Step up your game or off. Dark souls isn't your average rpg, oh no. It will kill you. ALOT. And unless you're persistent and quick to learn and observant. you will die and die and die and die and die someOriginally created for the xbox and hastily ported to the pc. But you know what? Who cares. Bad controls? Get a damn controller. Too difficult and not used to the lack of spoon feeding? Step up your game or off. Dark souls isn't your average rpg, oh no. It will kill you. ALOT. And unless you're persistent and quick to learn and observant. you will die and die and die and die and die some more. Tons of content and lore for the player who wants to dig deeper. Finished this with only the keyboard, have over 700 hours in gameplay. Expand
  84. Oct 25, 2013
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
  85. Oct 16, 2013
    Brutally difficult and challenging, which makes for a massochistic pleasure for hardcore gamers. As noted in some other reviews, there are some sloppy aspects to the pc port. I played with a gamepad, so may have noticed this less than others. Not for the weak of heart!
  86. Oct 10, 2013
    I consider myself being one of the kind of players that just feel bored after 30 minutes of a single player and just want to log to LoL/WoW/Dota or Counter Strike. I played most new games like Bioshock, Dishnored, Batman, ecc, but the real game I really enjoyed to play is Dark Souls. Why?
    Dark Souls is not an interactive movie with crap gameplay like Bioshock Infinite. It has no unique pattern and approach with boring fights like Batman.
    In Dark Souls you really feel lost to yourself not knowing sometimes where or what to do, every direction you look from Firelink Shrine you are scared. It really took me long to finish the game, and trust me it was a very stressful accomplishment to make. I give the game 9 because the port sucks. Don't dare playing it without a joypad, better if you have a 360 one.
  87. Oct 8, 2013
    MOD MOD MOD AND GAMEPAD IT UP!!!! Yes this port is pure trash, but thanks to our loving DS community, there's plenty of texture and UI mods that resurrect this perfect game from its portdeath, besides the MODS MAKE IT LOOK EYEGASMIC, so I'm enjoying the game even more than I did on the console!!!
  88. Oct 7, 2013
    no me e terminado el juego pero, lo que llevo me a dado una muy buena impresión de este, me dificulta mucho jugarlo por que lo juego en pc, los controles son algo incómodos, la optimizacion en pc es nula pero a parte de todo eso me sigue pareciendo un juego de culto.
  89. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a *must* play for any action rpg fan. There is nothing else like it. PC port does present technical issues but they are easily dealt with. Do not attempt to play this without a controller, it is not designed for kb/m interaction.

It is, however, one of the finest games of our generation.
  90. Sep 22, 2013
    Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues,Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues, and I would highly recommend you have a game pad. Expand
  91. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse andLet me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a console port and it was made by FromSoftware for people who wished to have it on PC, quite a while after the console version was released. Now for the game itself, the gameplay mechanics are wonderful and the game is deep and challenging, people give it a bad rep because they have no patience and are used to the linear hack and slash two hit kills gameplay they get from other sword and shield games (the type that take about 2 hours to complete), the story is incredibly deep and is purposely shrouded in mystery in order for the player to discover it and see the depth and journey for himself instead of handing it out on a silver platter. It's a masterpiece of a game, unrivaled by any other RPG to date. Expand
  92. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty much the exact same fantastic game as the console versions but FROM SOFT messed up the port with bad keyboard+mouse controls, and poor PC optimization. Nothing community mods couldn't fix though.
  93. Sep 11, 2013
    The porting on PC is just awful, but with the right fixes made by the community, the game is very enjoyable.

The combat mechanics are great, and the background story and the atmosphere are awesome. The main story is not that good, but as I said, the settings and the events behind our adventure are very detailed. Everyone should buy this masterpiece. It's an unique action RPG, full of

Everyone should buy this masterpiece. It's an unique action RPG, full of details and things to discover. Dark Souls is potentially an endless game... just prepare yourself to die an infinite amount of times!
  94. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is very atmospheric and challenging. People complaining about it just have to go and buy a controller to plug into their PC. It's only ~20$.
  95. Sep 1, 2013
    Forget about playing with keyboard and mouse, you just have to accept with this one that it's designed to be played with a controller. Once you get over that little stumbling block, then you're in for a world of wonder. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said but I will say it all again anyway because this game is something else in today's market. It takes today's crop ofForget about playing with keyboard and mouse, you just have to accept with this one that it's designed to be played with a controller. Once you get over that little stumbling block, then you're in for a world of wonder. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said but I will say it all again anyway because this game is something else in today's market. It takes today's crop of hand-holding games and throws that philosophy out the window. Games like the Fable series and the later Elder Scrolls series (IV and V) offer no real challenge. The Fable games are quite fun (the first one anyway) but you breeze through them in mere hours and can easily complete them without dying. I gave up on Skyrim after it became just a routine of blasting through dungeon after dungeon like the unstoppable destroyer you so easily become. You know a game is doing something wrong when a dragon appears in the sky and all you do is roll your eyes thinking "another nuisance." With Dark Souls you start sweating when you see something as big as a dragon appear because the game is difficult. The first time you run through this game everything is more difficult than it should be and the reason is because you are liable to die at any time. The first enemies you kill when you first get a weapon can still challenge you hours into the game if you're not careful. Yes you can cut through them like butter at that stage but you still need to maintain concentration and take them out efficiently because even a bunch of lowly Hollows can take you down quickly if you let them swarm you. The beautiful thing about this is when you're exploring a new area and haven't a clue where you are, everything terrifies you because everything can kill you. And when your health bar is at about two thirds and you're unable to heal, have no idea where the next "checkpoint" is and you're carrying a whole lot of souls that you so desperately don't want to lose but you don't know what's waiting around the next corner, then you will start to feel your blood rush and I don't know about you but a game hasn't made me feel like that in a long long time. One of the neatest things about this game is the shortcut system built into the world. With limited loading screens the game does well in immersing you into the experience but the clever shortcuts prevent endless trekking around and also serve as a slight reward in that you are spared from going through some of the tougher parts of the game more than once as you can cut out the bulk of journey. Of course the shortcuts themselves are kind of cheesy in that they're usually just doors that only open from one side for some reason or elevators that have to be activated from the top first before they work properly but the way the world is all interconnected gives a nice feel to the game. Of course the world is quite huge and later the teleport system can be deemed almost necessary if not as immersive as the shortcut system. The story of the game is best judged as an accumulation of all the subplots rather than just the main quest line. That being said this game has some fantastic lore which you have to tease out bit by bit through item descriptions and sparse NPC dialogue but I've spent a lot of time just reading up on the different NPC's and their backgrounds as you'll find nearly everyone in Dark Souls has a very interesting story. What I like about this is that while you're clearly the strongest dude around and the so-called "main character," not everything revolves around you and some NPC's couldn't care less about who you are. Again it adds to the immersion that everyone has their own agenda and aren't just waiting around doing nothing until you come along to do some mundane task for them so they can get on with their lives. Nothing breaks immersion like the almighty Dragonborn having to make house calls because some dame has got a problem with some rats. I should point out in conclusion that the Elder Scrolls and Fable series have their own merits and I am a fan of them, but Dark Souls offers an entirely different and even though this word is always used rewarding experience. It is not, as some claim, difficult for the sake of being difficult. It is difficult for the sake of being real. It is one of the best experiences in gaming that's out there and you'd be doing yourself a favour if you picked it up, even if you only make it to Blighttown. Expand
  96. Aug 27, 2013
    Through game play, interesting narrative and story, Dark Souls has SO much to offer. The problems with the port however must be addressed first before I go into the actual review of the game...

The port from consoles to PC was rushed, sloppy and almost unplayable (if at all). There is a strong recommendation to have a Xbox 360 controller before playing and it is mandatory that you have one.
    At first I recalled Super Meat Boy where even in the game they recommended you have a controller but I ended up beating that game with a keyboard (light and dark world). In Dark Souls however, I couldn't even clear some of the basic mobs running around at the start of the game.

In regards to the graphics, I was ok with their quality, as my system never buffered or felt slowed down immensely by the game however a simple patch could have solved the issue but one was not provided...

Another issue is with the "Prepare To Die" Content... This is almost impossible to find without external help. The exact details of unlocking it left me confused that I had to look it up through a guide. To me with so much of the game being great at letting you choose your own path, the exact conditions to get to the DLC are a bit ridiculous and will take some time and atmosphere out of the game while you look up how to get there.

Lastly, this game does launch with "Games for Windows" which is it's own mess, but if you want to play the game offline you may lose your save until you re-establish connection. This is most frustrating since most aspects of the game are offline and if your internet connection drops you automatically quit the game and need to reconnect to keep playing (sometimes it works offline but that is rare).

With THAT out of the way we can get to the actual game itself. I am rating an 8 because the pros do outweigh the cons only when you have a 360 controller. Bear in mind if that option was not available this game would easily be one of the worst I have ever played.

The game is amazing. Not only is there an incredible back story to go with the game, but all of the bosses are foreshadowed at the start and are not just simply mobs you fight later.

Game play is brutal and the developers want you to know that from the start. The mobs you encounter before the first boss are more or less training dummies, all preparing you for your first trial. This is already aberrational from normal game design because not only are you expected to handle any trial thrown at you, there must be an almost precise execution of this knowledge. That being said, this makes or breaks Dark Souls for you. I personally relish a challenge and killing a boss without feeling you "earned it" feels weak and causes you to either get bored with that game, or try to increase the difficulty on your own (AKA Veteran mode, using only a certain weapon etc...). In Dark Souls, while the challenges are great, overcoming them is the most rewarding aspect of the game.

As far as the story goes, there is nearly no narrative in the game at all pointing you in a certain direction. This is a hit or a miss for most people and either the major strength or flaw for gamers. I loved this aspect of the game because I wasn't sent on a mission from someone else rather, I was choosing my path through the game and it was the initiative I took on that determined how successful I was. That being said, the lack of narrative doesn't make for an empty experience. There is good reason why you are not pointed in a direction and that is well... At the start of the game your character is nothing special. No legendary hero sleeping or warrior with hidden power. You are just another undead who decides to create your own destiny. If the game "crowned" you, the player, with anything more, then you would have no doubt Victory was assured. By not showering you in praise for just existing, the game gives the player a sense of humility which is not bad or degrading by any means.

With all that being said, Dark souls is a masterpiece from start to end. By following the lore through the game when it is given to you (Not with cheap books but through your own discovery) at the end you will have a true appreciation about what you have been doing all along and even question yourself by saying "Why did I do what I just did?" and that is by far one of the greatest narratives a story can give is that of your own voice.

So in summary, while there are obvious flaws in the PC port with almost no support at all, the game itself is not broken. If you enjoy a challenge apart from the mundane hack-and-slash games, Dark Souls is what you are looking for. If you only want a fun game to spend a few hours at however, I would say to look towards other games not because this game isn't for you, but because it was designed to have a different purpose.

Hopefully this helps you decide whether or not to buy the game. I know it was worth it for me.
  97. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. For players PC without a joystick to play better not to even look in the direction of this game. But if you did have started to play without a joystick then get even more hardcore.
  98. Aug 23, 2013
    This page is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. The casuals giving this game a 1 4 need to get their mouth off of CoD's and start playing games where it doesn't treat you like a child.

Some make this game sounds like it's hard. The others make it sound like it will strangle you with your own intestines and paint the city with your blood. Both of those are true. While this is a crappy port, all you need to fix it is a controller. If you plan to play this game with a mouse and keyboard you're smoking something nasty.
  99. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition is an amazing game and possibly one of the most hardest games ever made. You will enjoy the storyline/lore, the simple yet complex gameplay, the unforgiving difficulty, the epic music and the hilarious engine that the game runs on. With the addition of a New Game+ and multiplayer feature, the replay value for this game is simply one of the best seen in aDark Souls Prepare to Die Edition is an amazing game and possibly one of the most hardest games ever made. You will enjoy the storyline/lore, the simple yet complex gameplay, the unforgiving difficulty, the epic music and the hilarious engine that the game runs on. With the addition of a New Game+ and multiplayer feature, the replay value for this game is simply one of the best seen in a RPG and to top it off you have a reasonable amount of hours that can be placed in the game and it comes with a famous composer's music that will bring more than likely more than nostalgia to some players. The amount you can do with your character, changing their play style, fighting style and amongst other things will keep you coming back again and again especially with a addicting PVP experience. Expand
  100. Aug 11, 2013
    Dark Souls is an incredible RPG. There's not much more to say about it, the better way of understand is playing it. I must advise, you gonna DIE! A LOT! But, in the end, you gonna love it, 'cause it's a very, very challenging game. I have to say, the PC version is not that good, because of the graphics' issue, the excessively high pc requirements for a good performance in the game and theDark Souls is an incredible RPG. There's not much more to say about it, the better way of understand is playing it. I must advise, you gonna DIE! A LOT! But, in the end, you gonna love it, 'cause it's a very, very challenging game. I have to say, the PC version is not that good, because of the graphics' issue, the excessively high pc requirements for a good performance in the game and the difficult itself. This, if I don't say the bad keyboards/mouse controls. But, even this way, the game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, the enemies are perfect, the battle-system is quite good. And, as you can see, and as I said, there's not much to say about the game, but there's a lot to play. So, let's prepare ourselves, and let's go die!! Expand

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]