7.3

1. Aug 24, 2012
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game
  2. Aug 24, 2012
    Pc gamers give pc gamers a bad name. One of the best games of all time down voted because it is the exact same as the console (not entirely true, extra content + durante's rez fix + better frame rates make this the ultimate version). Just goes to show that PC gamers dont actually like great games, they like epeen things like $1000 video cards and 3-monitor setups. Meh, their loss.
  3. Aug 24, 2012
    Due to the bad port, I'd give this 8/10. However, adding the graphical mod and using a controller make both of my main issues with the game a non-issue. Since there are people out there giving 0's I am making this a 10.

Assuming you are playing with a controller (first time I've ever hooked my xbox controller up to my PC but totally worth it)
    -The controls feel great.
    -The graphics
    are good once modded.
    -The gameplay is solid, not once did I die and think, "Well that was unfair."
    -Combat has weight and strategy.
    -The world is dark medieval fantasy at its best.
    -Boss fights are grand, epic, challenging, and rewarding once taken down.
    -Armor is interesting.
    -Weapons look neat and feel distinct.
    -Difficulty is just right.
    -Death is an expected teaching mechanic. -You are punished for making bad decisions but through those decisions you come up with new ideas. -This game punishes you with death for making bad decisions but it rewards you for playing smart.
    -Each encounter is consistent, deliberate, and gives the player plenty of opportunity to make the right decisions.

At the end of the day, Dark Souls delivers the same experience as consoles but with some extra content, a faster framerate, cheaper price point, and the potential to pickup a mod for higher resolution textures.

Play this with a USB controller, my xbox controller had no issues syncing up for this game. I highly recommend people play this game on any system they can get their hands on. Just make sure your have a controller if you get the PC version.
  4. Aug 24, 2012
    It's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weird mystery, memorable characters and some of the most awesome and imaginative bosses and combat ever. It hints where other games crap exposition over you, and a winding twisting design to the levels that really impresses once you understand what is going on.

There is nothing remotely close to this on pc.
  5. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing I recommend is to get the community made resolution fix located here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108

The difference is unbelievable, and will make your game look phenomenal.
  6. Aug 24, 2012
    To all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gave the information that it would be a port from xbox before it was released and anyone who didn't know this, or rather is downrating because of it, shouldn't be a little **** about it Expand
  7. Aug 24, 2012
    the game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hope about a good next game in the series coming to pc. dark souls gets a 10. port gets a 5. Expand
  8. Aug 24, 2012
    LOL at those giving it a bad score just because you suck at it. Ungrateful PC players trashing a game that the DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES already said that they weren't fully developing for PC. It's a decent to bad port, but plays just like on console with a Xbox Controller. Areas where frames used to drop don't drop anymore (Blighttown, Demon's Ruins),

Just because you're bad at the game,
    and because it isn't shiny, don't whine. Ungrateful PC players :) as usual. Go play Battlefield 3 or Skyrim (easy games that hold your hand and have a no-need-to-think gameplay). You weren't even supossed to get this game. Ever. Now I hope next time you don't get nothing at all. Whine some more. Expand
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    TL;DR: Use a controller, and the graphic fix and this game is awesome. --- I have never given a review on Metacritic before but felt it was important to review this game due to all the surrounding "controversy". THE GAME itself is AWESOME. THE PORT was HORRIBLE (depending on your expectations). It's a 1:1 direct port to PC. Everyone wanted to play this game on PC and now you can, with a few caveats.

IMPORTANT:
    To enjoy this game you MUST use a controller. The game goes from a horrible, unplayable, direct port. To a fun, exciting, easy to control game. Also, it is imperative that you download the graphic fix. Before this fix the game felt like it was straight out of 2000. With the fix, while it's no Skyrim, the graphics get a much needed boost, and become quite beautiful.

PRE controller/graphics rating: 1
    POST controller/graphics rating: 9

I wanted to do this to help people who are on the fence about this game, because while it is a direct port (some may say a lazy port) the ONLY things you need to do are a very minor graphic fix, and use a controller... I don't think thats too much to ask to enjoy a game of this caliber.
  10. Aug 24, 2012
    The game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is a console port. You need a gamepad (I used Razer Onza) to really enjoy the controls. Also make sure to get the Durante's mod that unlock internal buffer size - it's a must have! Out of the box the game looks horribly on 1080p screen, after switching the buffer size to 3840x2160px it's a completely different game! Expand
  11. Aug 24, 2012
    Its strange that this game was release in only 720p, a shame really.... don't let that discourage you though.
    you see this game is still just as amazing as before and the new content is every bit completely worth it! although im obviously not going to spoil that.
    Let me add that there is a patch that puts this game into 1080p and i have to say the game looks amazing now that Ive applied
    this patch hopefully the developers will release it as an official patch now that its been created. Expand
  12. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad. Keyboard and mouse controls are kind of clumsy, but still tolerable. Expand
  13. Aug 25, 2012
    The atmosphere of this game is amazing, with a minimalistic plot everything in the world is excessively dark. I can't imagine Dark Souls being less difficult, unforgiving, it teaches you that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success. But if you are persistent enough you will be awarded with a pure sense of jubilation. Nothing else in gaming compares to this experience.
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    For those coming from the shiny generic tale of Diablo III, Dark Souls takes an approach to story in the same vein as Diablo II: The world has been created and populated with a great background, but it is up to you to find it, instead of it being shoved into your face with endless cut-scenes and minutes-long exposition. The game itself is strict but fair; any mistakes made will be punished severely but the game will never cheat. Similar to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, you will get to the end of the game not by brute-forcing it, but by becoming a better player. It is one of the most rewarding games to play on PC.

It is just a shame that such an amazing game has been let down by one of the worst ports in memory, regardless of the player-made fixes available.
  15. Aug 24, 2012
    This is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complaining about the controls...you're an idiot, straight up. Did you know/read nothing about this game before purchasing it? Thanks to From-Software for listening to it's consumers and actually releasing this. Expand
  16. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game with a basic port. It is well worth whatever minor inconvenience the port poses to be able to play this unbelievably great game. Personally, i just got a gamepad and all problems were solved. Thanks so much to the developer for bringing this to the PC platform.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappable in-game, so there's really no excuses to complain about the controls. It's true that the in-game prompts don't display the keyboard keys, but if you can't even be bothered to read the manual and see what the controls are before playing a game you're not qualified to write a review for it in my opinion. Despite the minor issues I feel this game is fully deserving of a 10/10 based on the gameplay alone. This is the sort of thing all games should aspire to be. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2012
    Superb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looks very good in places & is very well optimised on PC. The higher resolution alone makes it look a lot better than the console but throw in the mods, AF filtering, instant load times, vsync & smooth FPS combine to make it a decent enough technical experience. Its designed around the MS 360 gamepad & wokrs very well with that. KB+mouse is not the best way to play this but still possible. This game has superb atmosphere, art direction, voice acting & creature/work designs. One of the best games ever made & also one of the hardest its not an easy game but also not as challenging as others its more about exploration & making the right choices. GFWL works very well here but most of the time you will not even notice its present apart from the achievements appearing onscreen (you can even disable these notifications if you do not want to break atmosphere). Ignore the BS & hate campaigns against this game its one of the best ever made & just has a unique & superb atmosphere. Only a 3.7GB install as the game is so well optimised & the textures highly compressed. No pointless lengthy FMV here or dialog to waste disc space its so the install size is small but the game world is still pretty large. Expand
  19. Sep 11, 2012
    You should definitely play this game. But remember, when you play you have to want to get better or you'll only frustrate yourself.

Don't be afraid of the children raging about the controls just because they couldn't lower the camera sensitivity on the options menu. Several people already played and beaten this game on full keyboard and keyboard+mouse controls. Some even preffer not
    using a controler.

Some people rage about the game being unfair and stupid while they try to play the game without learning the basic combat mechanics, without blocking, without locking target or trying to rush everything spaming the attack button on a game where you have a stamina bar. Enough said, the game expects you to analize your sorroundings before proceeding, to take one enemy at time, to learn how to deal with each enemy and each location and to learn from your mistakes, something that some people just can't.

Expect to die. That's part of the game not the end of it. That's how you learn to play the game: by dying and experimenting; observing enemy patterns, learning to parry attacks or when desperate calling help from other players online. Talking to the community, wanting to learn how to play the game and upgrading your gear is also for the best. If you have doubts, don't hesitate to ask. All veteran have once suffered before.
  20. Aug 28, 2012
    All the complaints about the bad keyboard & mouse controls infuriate me. This game is MEANT TO BE PLAYED WITH A CONTROLLER. I too, hate the fact that the PC controls suck... But this is a non-issue if you plug in a controller. I would give this game 11 / 10 just to make up for the low ratings from people who are to dumb to plug in a controller. This is the best. gaming. experience. Ive. ever. had. When playing Dark Souls, I feel like being young again and sitting in front of the old Zelda titles, immersed in the game. I just want to say thank you to the developers... Thank you. Expand
  21. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, i was also a little bit disapointed by the stright port. But to be fair, From Software communicated it months ago: Get a controller. Now i'm playing the game with the resolution fix and my ps3 controller and i have to say it really, really looks amazing and runs pretty stable. However, i have a nvidia card. Ati user maybe experience other circumstances.
  22. Aug 29, 2012
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is a love-letter written in blood to us sadistic fans of old-school "kick my butt and I'll ask for more" gamers who are getting tired of every game holding our hand, and in some cases, offering to just... you know, beat each level for us (Here's lookin' at you, Super Mario 3D Land!).

If you own this on PS3 or Xbox 360 already, it is still fully worth
    purchasing for PC.

By default the framerate is locked at 30FPS (which strangely somehow works just fine for the game) and the resolution is locked at *GASP* 720p.

Never fear, my fellow videophiles - an online hero who goes by the alias "Durante" released a fix for the game that unlocks the resolution, removes the low-quality fog, and overall makes the game... just... beautiful!
    (Durante's fix can be found here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix)

Also, for the few out there who care - this game looks AMAZING in 3D.

Well? What are you waiting for?!? Go ahead, get the game, and Prepare to Die!

(NOTE: this game was never meant for mouse + keyboard. The game style just doesn't lend itself to that. Get yourself a wired Xbox 360 controller, or a PS3 controller + Motionjoy to enjoy all this game has to offer!)
  23. Sep 26, 2012
    When I first got this game, I was so frustrated by the camera and the lack of easily understandable computer controls. For some reason I kept cracking at it and found the diamond underneath. The good points of the game are that it is punishing and the world usually presents you with multiple unbeatable situations. The reward of leveling up and hanging onto dear life when fighting large bosses is a rush. The game provokes you on to the eventual victory achieved. The bad is the camera is shaky but you get used to it with the locking on feature. The controls were literally the hardest part of the game and take alot of online research to understand them. All and all a real masterpiece once you get by the orginal frustrations. And whatever you do not kill any of the talking npc's (especially weapon smiths) they DO NOT come back which can cripple your progress in the game. Expand
  24. Aug 24, 2012
    Great game, not a great port but the PC community will come with mods and high res packs. its way cheaper than console, DLC comes for free, runs better and there is already a mod to fix resolution and textures day one, you can't go wrong.
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    One of the greatest games of our generation. As for those complaining about the PC port, let me quote the Eurogamer review for you:

"In general, the arguments are wearying and all that needs to be said is this: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition does not come with the technical options you would expect from a well-engineered PC game, because it's a port of a console game, and that's
    all From Software ever promised to deliver. Anyone who passes up Dark Souls for this reason is cutting off their nose to spite their neckbeard of a face."

If you pass up Dark Souls because you have to patch it to unlock it's resolution or because you might want a gamepad, you're denying yourself one of the best gaming experiences in years for easily overcome technical reasons. That's like skipping an amazingly cooked dinner because you have to drive to a friends house to eat it.
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Action RPG's are a dime a dozen these days. Most tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to what they will toss at you. The developers don't want to alienate customers by making a game that might be *gasp* too challenging. Dark Souls brings the challenge in spades but does it without feeling unfair or overly cheap. You'll get punished. then adapt, and actually feel like you have achieved something. Unlike most games which reward you for accomplishing next to nothing. It's gameplay is Dark Souls' greatest strength, in how it ties everything together (much like a fighting game) with logical solutions so that you always know you can overcome whatever challenges you are facing, no matter how difficult. I wish more developers focused on gameplay first and everything else second. --- Technically speaking the game performs very well, however, this is a straight from console "no frills" PC port. It was a game that wasn't supposed to be on the PC after all, and the way the port was handled does show signs of inexperience and hesitation on the part of the publisher/developer to give PC support. The game must be played with a controller, m+kb support is limited as was stated by the developers months ..ahem ..months ago. Also the resolution is set way too low but there is already a fix for that and I'm sure more tweaks to come (gotta love the PC modding community). People want to label the game as a "bad port" but honestly this is still the best version available as far as performance is concerned. --- Darks Souls is all about stellar gameplay and a high degree of challenge. I'm not sure this game is for eveyone and will be a pretty easy target for critics and trolls, but for me who normally likes things sleek and shiny, Dark Souls is one hell of a rough gem. Expand
  27. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game, knew it would be a bad port from the start since From can't do PC. And GFWL doesn't bother me since all you need to do is sign in. All the bad reviews are stupid entitled PC gamers.
  28. Aug 24, 2012
    For all the users that are complaining about Keyboard and Mouse not working ideally for this game, let me lay this on you for a second, because this is how you guys sound:

You have a box of nails you want to hammer into the wall. (Dark Souls) You have measuring tape. It has a flat side. (Keyboard)
    You don't have a hammer. (Gamepad)
    Instead of going out and buying a hammer to hammer in
    the nails, you start hammering nails with THE MEASURING TAPE.
    You then start complaining "Holy crap these nails suck. They don't work well with the measuring tape. This is so difficult!"
    "Screw nails! Nails are terrible! I'm gonna write a review about how bad these nails are because they dont get hit into the wall well with my MEASURING TAPE."

The reasons you guys don't have hammers, is probably because you're either broke, or you're lazy, or you have some personal vendetta towards hammers. BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NAILS. It's not the nails' fault you are too lazy, broke, or have developed some deep racism towards hammers. That's on you! The nail is made for hammers! Hammer it in with a hammer and stop complaining!

So really you guys giving it a 0 for not playing perfectly with keyboard is really unfair. I can give maybe half a point for it not matching up with the keyboard controls and using xbox icons, but that's about it really. It's made to be played with a gamepad. So play it with one, and stop giving this game a low score because of your own personal issues with gamepads.

----------------------------

Dark Souls is a console port. From Software said that. They made it very clear when the game was coming out. "This is mostly a console port. No surprises!" That means the game is structured from the bottom up in a console fashion. Why would it be so different from what was promised? So that means, you run it with a console controller, it plays at a console resolution with a console speed, with hopefully better console performance. That's what was promised, and that's what From Software delivered. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. PC Fans requested a game that was console exclusive and got it on their platform. It works! It's non buggy! It looks like the console version! It's just as great as it originally was (Fantastic and amazing game!) What else is there to say? It's a great game. I love it. The graphics are amazing, the frame rate is BETTER than console. The story is incredible, the gameplay is on point and very responsive. The game isn't choppy or has hiccups, or anything like that. Game plays smooth like butter at 30 FPS. Honestly, it plays better than most PC games I've messed with lately with twice the frame rate.

Plus Durante modded it recently to increase the resolution past the initial renderer limit, so that's just the icing on the cake. This is a great game and I'm glad this game is finally on PC!
  29. Aug 25, 2012
    This game is great, graphics problems already solved with 3 hotfixes and controls with keyboard/mouse are OK, it just takes little time to get used, so i dont regret for the money ive spend.
  30. Aug 25, 2012
    i dont understand people which rate this game low due to worst keyboard mouse control ever. It suck and it is fact. Bad graphics? Not the edge of technology but playable. I tell you Mount and Blade is bad graphics not this one. The main thing is that there are no glitches freezes and so on what usually people call bad port. it works fine. It is great game indeed. And be honest - you low rate this game not cause of port, you do it cause you dont like it overall :) but as always this game doesnt care Expand

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]