7.2

1. Apr 16, 2014
    The technical issues aside a "survival action RPG" sounds awesome? So it is a pity it could not been executed better. The combat is clunky and glitchy plus player death resets the levels. So a lot of potential rinse and repeat scenarios. This game is a seriously bad time waster. If I want my survival, action or RPG fix I will go elsewhere. If you enjoy peeing in the wind then this game maybe be alright for you... Expand
  2. Apr 12, 2014
    i worried before playing this game
    coz of i heard Dark Souls is so Difficult Game..
    and i played and felt
    yeah its so difficult so Hard~
    but Amazing Funny!
  3. Apr 5, 2014
    Is there a worst console port? The keys you are asked to press only suit the xbox controller and you spend half an hour derping over the keyboard trying to learn how to equip a thing. The graphics look bad and there are only FOUR options in the video optimization tab(two of which are the resolution and fullscreen on/off). What a way to treat PC fans.
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    It's a horrible port and a game specifically made for the restrictions of a console. That being said, in hindsight it was worth all the headaches. It took me a few hours to get this game working properly on a PC with an azerty keyboard. After all that, the controls were still subpar and every gameplay tip was displayed with the controller keys in mind. I still wanted to experience this game because of all the good things I heard about it.

After playing it for a few days, I can safely say that not just the port but also the difficulty of the entire game is vastly overrated. A lot of the difficulty comes down to quirks and limitations of the game mechanics and controls. Weapons hitting walls but no option to stab instead of swing, extremely bad hitboxes especially in some Boss battles, horrible camera angles and so on. Worst of all was the horrific targeting system. No self respecting PC gamer should be forced to use something as dumb and simplifying as an auto targeting system. If I played careful and focused, I rarely died more than once to a Boss mechanic or even a certain area. Atleast for me, a lot of the difficulty was artificial and it all came down to game and console limitations. I would have prefered if they would have added save points right before Boss battles, it's not a challenge to walk back to a Boss everytime you died, it's a waste of time. I have played RPG's that were, with the right difficulty settings, just as hard as this game but didn't have these annoying limitations.

All these annoying quirks aside, the game is actually pretty solid. Engaging combat mechanics (despite the hitboxes on Bosses), great atmosphere, a very mysterious and hostile environment and some fun RPG elements. If you can ignore all those annoying things and persist till you can atleast manage the crappy controls, it's an addictive game. It can indeed be a frustrating experience, especially with the controls, but it wasn't the (partially artificial) difficulty that stood out to me. It was the engaging world, fun combat and the appeal of slow but steady progress.
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    I actually admire a game that challenges its players but Dark Souls goes too far. It often feels like you are not fighting the characters in the game but the game itself. The Controls are sloppy, even on a 360 controller, and many times you wind up doing something you didn't want to do. Beware of any form of combat on a precarious position, for you may end up performing an attack on accident that will cause you to fall to your death (this happens A LOT). There is no guidance in the game, so besides hacking bad guy after bad guy, I have no idea what I am doing. All enemies (except bosses) re spawn whenever you rest at a bonfire, removing any satisfaction from killing them. The comment system with which other players can leave warnings/adivce in your world is either useless or hurtful because they are so limited that you have no idea what they are talking about until after you have encountered the enemy ( some jerks put a "try jumping" hint near a cliff just to make you fall). Upon death, your re spawn at your bonfire, meaning that you lose all your souls AND enemies re spawn too, which could lead to an infinite loop of death...besides all this, it is still a fun game, just frustrating and difficult. The difficulty wouldn't be so bad if you could fight it, but since half of the problem is with the game itself you cant. Expand
  6. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  7. Mar 25, 2014
    Really Excellent game.... Something that provides a challenge for a person. it also teaches a person patience and that is key for completing the game.
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    Prepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupid nostril hairs. Expand
  9. Mar 21, 2014
    First game I ever give a 10/10 to so far on metacritic! This game triumphs in so many areas:

1. RPG... you do feel like you are playing a character and NPC reponses to you are so varied and customized to your situation that you really feel like you are talking to real people! Even though you never spoke in the game, how the NPCs react to you truly feels like you are having a
    conversation without the need for any conversation choices!

2. Graphics... dark and gloomy design along with the music to bring out the mood of despair and desperation... the occassional appearance of other online player's spook truly made the world feel real and alive with horror. This is the first time I feel so engrossed in a game world... the feeling of this world is the complete opposite to the feeling of Divinity series.

3. Combat... lumberous and frustrating at first but once you get used to it, its extremely realistic to real life combat. I find myself respecting and actually circling for opportunities to attack a simple zombie when I would have graciously rushed hordes of them in other games. The enemies are not generic models that does basically the same things. Every enemy and their variations have their unique combat characteristics and sometimes throw moves that will surprise you!

4. Replayability... yes, this is one game that makes you replay a certain area tens or even hundreds of times by dying and resurrecting at a bon fire. This may feel frustrating at first but the fact that everytime you go back to the bon fire, you are actually getting better and stronger makes it very satisfying.

All in all, I am surprised by how awesome this game is and I wonder why I hadn't played it before even though I bought it at a discount a long time ago! MUST TRY!
  10. Mar 17, 2014
    My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me, I loved everything about it. :) Expand
  11. Mar 16, 2014
    Sword and Enemys...perfect mixture. Alike Witcher, Dark Souls is a solid game. A few weeks ago got DS (75% off). Before playing i got always a: Too hard...well really is that hard on begin...but at sometime u will learn that a good pair sword and shield will not influence that much on game.

Most impórtant is strategy after learning enemies is their modus operandi. After it u can enjoy
    DS. At very beggining it will die until learn that. So a tip id give...learn then after it kill Expand
  12. TSB
    Mar 12, 2014
    Good game in general .
    THE GOOD : Great gameplay- very good boss fight - challenging game - world design is nice .
    THE BAD : bad port you will need DSfix to get better res and texture - the story telling is not good - almost no sound track .
  13. Mar 11, 2014
    You're going to die, you're going to want to throw things across the room and that's the point of buying this game. I love challenge, but I love challenge that comes from the game itself.

The poor porting to the PC version leaves much to be desired. Controls are non-intuitive and difficult to understand. I got it on sale over Steam so it was a great deal for the playtime that I got
    out of it, I just wish I wasn't fighting the controls and interface as much as the impossible monsters and bosses in the game. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2014
    I had lots of fun with Dark Souls but I also got very frustrated at times. It has everything a good RPG should have. It also has some annoying repetition and grinding.

The world is fun to explore, the enemies and environments interesting and varied enough to encourage you to go on just to see what's next. The world is progressively unlocked just by building your character until they
    can triumph where once they had been beaten to a pulp. I found it very satisfying to beat an area which had been much to hard for me a day ago.

There's always something on the horizon goading you on - a boss you couldn't kill, a weapon you can't quite use properly, an item you can see off in the distance but can't reach. This all works very nicely to keep you playing without getting bored.

Some more good points: there are no endless conversation trees, there's actually very little dialogue at all; enemies don't speak, so no repeated one liners; the difficulty curve keeps you challenged but not stuck (generally).

BUT, and this is a big stinky but(t), I didn't like having to trek back through the same area with the same enemies every sodding time a boss killed me. I'd often spend longer getting to a boss than actually fighting it. This game could benefit immeasurably from a simple "Restart Boss?" button. This isn't a gripe at the difficulty, I like that the bosses are big and tough and can crush you with their pinky finger, because then I feel I've earned their XP etc. when I finally beat them. I just don't see why I need to fight the same small enemies ad nauseam just to get another round. "OK," I said "time to go grind some levels."

I don't like grinding: a game should be fun, not work, and I don't buy into the thinking that if you haven't spent long enough murdering the same helpless group of enemies then you don't deserve to see the rest of the game you paid good money for. In this game you'll have to grind for XP and materials to improve weapons and armour. All that stuff should stay in the realms of MMORPGs where I don't have to go anywhere near it.

These points fit with the lore but the lore shouldn't detract from game play - that's just pretentious and poor design.

Overall a very good RPG which suffers from two very prominent annoyances.
  15. Mar 11, 2014
    A genuinely amazing game. From the incredibly lonely and crushing atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack that ranges from subtle to bombastic, to the satisfying combat and fantastic sense of accomplishment that the game offers - Dark Souls has it all. This is perhaps the most important game of the 7th generation of consoles.
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game in existence i have no idea what kind of complete moron reviews this game and finds it "enjoyable" it is a game that aims to anger and does so again and again, if you are some kind of masochistic then this is the game for you, otherwise ignore what your friends say, ignore the reviews the only explanation i can possibly think for this horrendous game to get such great reviews is that this is some kind of sick internet joke. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2014
    I really can't understand why this game is so acclaimed. Graphics are crap (looks like PS2), controls & gameplay are really bad, pc port is the worst ever. I'm trying to say something good about this game but I can't find it. The high difficulty is the "big point" of the game is not something that makes me wonder. So avoid it as fast as you can, don't give it a chance like I did. Wait for DS2 to be something at least playable. Expand
  18. Mar 4, 2014
    Probably the best game I've played in my Xbox 360, and it's now in PC.

The port has some problems but you have to understand first where did it come from. This game wasn't meant to be never in a PC, but fans loved it so much that they started a collection of signatures just to have it on PC. So From Software heard the people and took the step. Even so, the "technical problems" are so
    small compared with the greatness of this game, that you should be ignoring them soon when you feel inmersed in Lordran. But yes, you better use a X360 or PS3 controller like.

This game needs some learning, it's full of mysteries, has infinite possibilities for your character, every weapon has a unique design and move set, and when you combine that with all the spells, armors and other items... well, then you are hooked forever. Because this game is already thrilling, challenging, has one of the very bests scene design I ever seen and it's full of art design and dark stories the first time you play it. But after that, and when you start to fully understand the whole game mechanics, you want more and more. It's a game that you can complete 3, 4... 7 times and you will eventually come back for more. It has an unique multiplayer system and if you enjoy the solo game, you will find that the emotion of being invaded by players, or hunting others in their worlds as a dark spectre adds a lot to the already exciting game wich is Dark Souls.

I won't say that this is a very difficult game and it's only meant for some players, because that is not true. The game is fair, the game needs some learning process, and once you go through it (and when you are going through it) you enjoy the game more and more. This game just has a bit of "old school" philosophy, and I'm pretty sure that I could name an infinite number of much more difficult and cruel games... it's just that it would be much more easier to pick those games from the early 00s, 90s or 80s maybe. We got used to be guided, and if we are not we can even get frustrated.

Personally. I love this game so much and I hate it somehow. I love it because of all its greatness. And I hate it because after this game I just compare any other game I play with Dark Souls. And that makes me go back to play it.
  19. Mar 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark Souls is a really interesting game but one hell of a difficult one.
    Sadly this difficulty doesn't always come from the tactics-based bosses and areas but more from the bad camera angles,framerates and collision boxes.

Focusing an enemy will sometimes cause the camera to go full potato and twist around like crazy; pointing to the sky, the ground or to some enemy who is way too far away to be an actual threat.
    Sometimes one enemy will be able to lock you against a wall and make you unable to move or dodge attacks which gets really annoying if you fight a group of foes. There are some enemies (especially the mosquitos in Blighttown) who may get damage from attacks missing them but will completely ignore attacks that go right through them.
    Additionally this game is really poorly ported to the PC. The standard controls make almost no sense and it takes very long to find working keybindings. The mouse cursor will always be visible if you don't install a mod which hides him (like DSfix).
    The framerate in many areas (mainly Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and the Kiln Of The First Flame) is terrible on older PCs like mine (~15 FPS), while in other areas I got framerates of around 100 FPS without any problem.

Overall Dark Souls is an excellent game but the PC version is haunted by way too many problems to be actually enjoyable throughout the entire game.
  20. Feb 28, 2014
    I cant believe this game is rated so highly. Ive attempted multple times to enjoy it but its just uber lame. There is no strategy involved, its just die die die until you learn the patern and then move on... Play a game should be FUN, not frustrating. Some people get a boner from bragging rights but that something I dont give a crap about to be honest. If someone tells me theyve beaten Dark Souls I'll just laugh in their face for being so stupid... wasting all that time on repetitive combat and learning paterns...

Not only that, the combat itself is HORRIBLE; laggy and unresponsive because of messed up controls and bad programming ....
  21. Feb 28, 2014
    Do not listen to those ignorant saying it's a bad port... all you need is a patch you can easily copy/paste in your files. Repairs everything that needs to be repaired.

This game is just pure absolute amazingness ... Don't take my word on it. read the reviews.
  22. Feb 26, 2014
    A: You MUST have a console controller to play this game in a way that is fun.

That out of the way, Dark Souls really does deserve the love it gets. Harsh but very enjoyable, it hearkens back to when Video games demanded that you BEAT them, not just went along for a ride with a pat on the head and unlimited everything.

Hoping the Dark Souls 2 port to PC is a bit cleaner.
  23. Feb 26, 2014
    Not as challenging as some make it out to be, but more so than most other modern games. With a mod and a controller this is a truly gripping, immersive game with alot of re playability.
  24. Feb 8, 2014
    Maybe the port is kinda bad, but hey, it's first game from these japanese developers on PC, they really tried to do it well. And the game will get Steamworks, so bye-bye GFWL. Also remember to install dsfix mod by Durante for the best experience.
  25. Feb 7, 2014
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've experienced no technical problems, no crashes (despite frequently tabbing out), 1680/1050.
    I find this game perfectly fine to play with keyboard+mouse, though it takes a little getting used to at first.
    I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player
    will have to stumble through the world essentially following the developer's intended path and rate of progression, overcoming increasing obsticles while they become stronger and more experienced.
    Whereas familiar players can (deliberately) skip swaths of areas and obtain powerful items very early if they wish.
    in addition, experienced (or researched) players can also take advantage of the crafting system and multiple new-game+ modes.
    Despite being told the contrary, I have not found this to be a difficult game, it is instead a very punishing game. If you play recklessly and make a mistake, you will be punished for it, but if you play smart, you can easily defeat anything this game puts in your path.
    The best comparison I have experienced is WoW Heroic raiding where there is very little room for error and a single mistake can cause your death (and often wipe the raid).
    Some people mention the old-school Shinobi in reference to difficulty, which doesn't really do Dark Souls justice, as where old games required lightning reflexes to overcome, the deliberate unbreakable animation system in dark souls (which some refer to as unresponsive and clunky) allows for more leniency in response times,
    ie. if you dodge or block, the enemy will be stuck in that animation for the duration, during which you can safely strike back (and the same applies when you fail an attack)
    because of this, the game is not restricted to 'twitch' players, which in turn makes it perhaps one of the more 'open' games, though not quite 'turn-based'.
    A healthy grandmother/father would likely have no more trouble at playing this game than anyone else.
    I've heard this game was buggy upon launch, all I can say to that is get the fan patch which will make it perfectly fine.
    At this point I can think of no reason not at least try playing Dark Souls.
  26. Feb 5, 2014
    An excellent "sequel" to From Softwares "Demon's Souls", Dark Souls is an unforgiving, open world romp through a dark fantasy world. You play as a Dark Sign cursed Undead, doomed to die and come back until eventually you go mad from it. However you are captured and put into the Undead Asylum, where the Undead wait for the end of the world. You however, with some help manage to get out and start out on a quest to discover the true destiny of the Dark Signed cursed Undead. At the beginning you'll be asked to make a character from one of many starting classes, but don't think you'll be regimented to playing a certain way the entire game. The upgrade system is open and allows you(through increasingly steep costs) to upgrade your abilities in any way you see fit. And as you should, for if you die(and you will) to one of the many horrors or pitfalls that litter the land of Lordan, you will lose of the precious 'Souls' needed to upgrade your stats and purchase services from the few sane Undead that remain there. Die a second time on the way to 'Reclaim your power' and those Souls are gone forever.

The game offers a large challenge in that enemies are fairly aggressive and will chase you for quite some time, along with many of them using group tactics to overwhelm your defenses or just being so much stronger than you that a head-on fight is tantamount to suicide. No, Dark Souls punishes those that treat this like a "hack and slash" game like so many 'action-rpgs' that have come before it. You must consider everything going forward in the world of Dark Souls and every enemy has it's own strengths and weaknesses that you can exploit and look out for.

Graphically, the game is fairly impressive looking but isn't stellar by any means. However, the art design, along with the weapon, equipment and monster designs are both familiar and alien at the same time. The first dragon you see is nothing like the standard fire-breathing red lizard with wings that is so popular in fiction. However, something like that shows up fairly early and it's not even a boss. The game is dark and I mean that both figuratively and literally. Many areas are so black that you'll need a spell or special item to see more than a foot in front of you and you'll want these to keep you from stumbling into enemies lying in wait. Or pitfalls just begging for someone to step over them into the gaping void.

The game features a unique multiplayer aspect in the form of 'Invasions', 'Summons' and 'Covenants'. 'Invasions' are just as they sound, another player(with the help of certain items) can invade your game to try and kill you for both Souls and even more precious Humanity(another commodity you need to continue on). However there are balances to keep someone from being constantly invaded by players much further along(usually, I will get back to this). 'Summons' can happen one of two ways, the player can lay down a 'Summon Sign' to offer their services to another player online to defeat a local area boss or if the player is 'Human' instead of 'Hollow' they can summon other players to help them with a local area boss. Finally, 'Covenants' have their own set of rules that influence 'Summons' and 'Invasions'. Some allow you to 'infect' other worlds(players games) with powerful enemies but at the cost of opening the infector to 'Invasion' by up to three people at a time. Another offers numerous chances to 'Invade' other characters if they tarry in a specific area of the game, however there is no upper limit to whom they may invade so the invaders may find they bite off more than they can chew at times. Another 'Covenant' allows you to invade frequent invaders and punish them(i.e. kill them) for their 'Sins'.

Onto combat and controls, the game offers a wealth of weapons and armor that all affect how you fight. Do you prefer dodging around your foe and harrying them with quick attacks then backing off before they can even face you? Or cladding yourself in the heaviest armor you have and wading into melee with a massive two-handed sword, letting your ability to shrug off lesser blows carry you while you cleave them in twain? Or something in-between? They're all possible and the game rewards experimentation.

As for negatives, the game on PC as of late has had a flux of cheaters as of this review. People who use certain programs to reduce their Soul Level(your overall power rating, numbering from 1 to over 700) low enough that it allows them to invade anyone, even new players while using things like infinite health or weapons/equipment far more powerful than the first time player is even capable of getting. However they can be avoided by staying Hollow, but this can cut off certain scenarios that allow you to see more scenes or get different items. Another sour note is that even though the game was ported to PC, there are still areas that suffer massive framerate drop but that is more of the engines fault.
  27. Feb 1, 2014
    First off, it must be said that the fixes found on Dark Souls Nexus are a Must. You are able to up the frame rate, add on better textures, and it fixes frame drops. Now, it is a very, very hard game, but if you have the patience or are willing to develop some patience, this game is very rewarding. BEST game I have ever played, sooo good.
  28. Jan 24, 2014
    Played the PS3 version of this game, and I wasn't a fan of the game. the graphics weren't the best. Bad textures, bad animations. I assumed it was because of the PS3 hardware. So, the PC version comes along and Im a sucker and I buy the game expecting it to be an improvement over the PS3. This is NOT the case!! It is EXACTLY the same game but just ported to the PC! the textures are just as bad! im running the game at 1920 x 1080 and it looks like a PS2 game!! Avoid this game!! DO NOT BUY! Expand
  29. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is impossible to play in PC without a gamepad. Really bad port from consoles, stay away. To make thing worse, if you have dual monitor setup, be prepared to have your mouse going out of the screen.
  30. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is beauty.
    The port isn't great, it isn't playable with mouse and keyboard, but this game is the reason why I bought a 360 controller for my pc, and I can say it's worth it.

Game is hard and punishing, but has a really customizable gameplay: there are several fighting styles, you may farm souls to level up early or just stay at level 1 the whole game, and the game is open
    world.

Buy this game if you miss the good old days, where games weren't pay2win or designed for people who don't want to think, just win.
  31. Jan 15, 2014
    The worst port of a video game I've ever seen. There might be a decent game under there but, after spending 3 hours trying to fix things using user-created mods, I'm giving up. There is simply no excuse for this nearly unplayable mess.

The controls are terrible and there was absolutely no effort made to adapt them to PC. The tooltips it shows are for the 360 version (it keeps telling
    me to pull the RT to attack). The actual on-screen play area is locked to a tiny area in the upper-left corner of my screen. Low FPS. Graphical stuttering.

Save your money.
  32. Jan 13, 2014
    Yes, this game is one of the most horrible ports I've seen in a while. They still even had the Xbox controller icons in the game. The people who are complaining about the controls are not very skilled, just an excuse to compensate for their poor performance. (These people are those idiots that buy an Alienware machine and can't clean it) Yes, at first, the controls for the mouse/keyboard are just horrid. I had to reconfigure them to make it less awkward than it already is. As an avid PC gamer, you must learn to adapt; that's what I have done: On NG 3+ and have already beaten the DLC as well as Ornstein and Smough. I played on an old 5+ year old machine, Dell inspiron 530 stock with a GT210 (512mb), (constant 20- fps) no one can complain. Other than that, it's a very solid and unique game on its own. The game is more action focused than Role Playing, in which the combat delivers very well.

Gameplay will feel very strange at first, for all the people who don't have a PS3 and have played Demon Souls probably won't have many problems. The game has a learning curve, a big one, but with a bit of bravery and practice, you will surpass that and be killing enemies and bosses with ease. When you first play the game, it is an experience you will never forget, you will push yourself to the brink of frustration. Exploration is very fun and risky but that's what makes it fun. You're taking a huge risk of dying, enemy encounters only make exploring more exciting. Landing blows are very satisfying. You feel like you're doing damage (most of the time). There are minor RPG statistical elements and pseudo-realistic elements as well: such as armor weight and armor protection, both are numbers that have an effect on you. Same with everything else in game. Leveling system is quite nice, if you have enough souls (which you collect from killing enemies or looting), you get to distribute one point into a variety of different skills to suit your play style. You can make your typical builds like any other fantasy RPG, but they are optional, you can build your character however you want. Which can lead to a terrible character if you do not properly distribute points and go for a good build. Boss battles are unique, and can be taken down in all ways if you're able to. The game can feel unfair a lot of the times. There are a nice variety of places to explore, and hardly any loading times for the scale of the map.

One thing that makes the game all the worse is the queuing system. The queuing system is by far one of the worst I have seen in a while. Buttons seem delayed a lot of the times. Say, I'm attacking, I click twice, in the middle of that, I try to roll out; As soon as I'm done with my second attack, the enemy is going to hit me, instead of rolling, the game makes me attack again, which would result in my death; even though I wanted to roll, not attack again.

Another huge gripe is the mouse targeting. All you do is face an enemy, middle click, then it would lock on. Simple right? To an extent, it's not that it's not simple, but how it functions most of the time. When facing more than one enemy, the lock on would spaz out and switch to both targets constantly and would most likely get you killed. This happens with the mouse sensitivity on high or low, there is no sweet spot.

The graphics are quite nice, you would see some nice shading, but it is there to compensate for the low quality of some textures. Animations are pretty terrible, male and female characters have the same animations, even the funky "crapped your pants" idle stance. The game is too "asian" like, almost anime-esque, which is a massive turn off for me. The voice acting as well, they mind as well have that irritating japanese school girl voice in. I feel that western games just feel and look better overall. They don't have that stupidly pointless excessive-ness that (stereotypical) asian things/games/everything seem to have.

The story feels like it almost doesn't exist. It is a very interesting story that is indirect and is solely based off of fan speculation. I wish it would be told in the actual game though, I want to know who I'm fighting, why am I fighting, who is this guy? Why is he here, what does he want? Most questions are not explained in the game, I wish they were. Interaction between characters is extremely limited. Which leads to the non-role playing part. Yes, I am my own character, but my influence feels artificial, my only influence seems to be from a strike of my sword.

The game is overall unpolished, but still good. The game is challenging, not "lolz,i 'm so hardcore pro MLG quality" though, I played this game casually, got NG2 in less than 80 hours. A good game on it's own. I would recommend it if the player is willing to take the challenge. With the exception of the anime-esque aspects, the quality and longevity is shortened by the lack of mod support, terrible port, and Games for Windows Live.
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    If you want to read about the story or gameplay then read a review from someone that can actually get it working. As for me, Steam's timer shows that I have played it for 27 minutes and that is about as far as I can take it. Keyboard Mouse controls are almost completely unplayable and illogically bound BUT FEAR NOT as I have a Logitech gamepad tucked away for games that require a controller to use, so I plugged that badboy in. Whoops, turns out that unless you're using an official Microsoft Xbox360 controller then there is roughly a 30% chance your controller will actually work. If it doesn't then you need to download, install, and then config a third-party 360 controller emulator and blah blah blah blah. This game was gifted to me by a friend and I would very much like to play it but so far that seems highly unlikely. I honestly have to question the legality over selling a product which more broken and dysfunctional than most early alpha test games. If I had paid full price I would certainly be requesting a refund from Steam support. Expand
  34. Jan 7, 2014
    After installing the DSfix and hooking up my Xbox controller, I was completely sucked into this world. Like Armored Core, another one of Fromsoft's game series, The game is fairly challenging, but fair.

Every single one of my deaths were caused by either a mistake or a lack of caution on my part. If I rushed into a room before surveying it, I was punished. If I used the wrong type of
    shield in a fight, I was punished. The game does a good job of subtly teaching you its mechanics without posting on-screen hints in the middle of boss battles.

I also liked how each boss taught me something about the game. The Asylum Demon taught me how to observe my surroundings and how to use them to my advantage, the taurus Demon reinforced that lesson, the Bell Tower Guardians taught me about weak points, etc.

I will warn new players about the online aspect of the game. In my opinion, it does a perfect job of allowing players to either help each other out, or to ruin each other's days. I fell in love with PVP combat in this game, and even after beating it a few days after release, I am still playing it for its PVP. That said, new players can get turned off by the game fairly easily because of how unexpectedly another (and possibly more experienced) player can invade their world.Another big turn off is the abundance of trainer users that are online.

One thing to remember about this game is to give it a chance. Dark Souls is an acquired taste, and I guarantee that you will feel very satisfied once you beat it. Fromsoftware has easily become my favourite developer because they try to make their games as satisfying as possible.

Never give up, and Prepare to Die.
  35. Jan 2, 2014
    To get the bad out of the way: the graphics are appalling and playing with standard PC gear is abysmal. If you want to relax and play this game for 30 mins after your tea, don't bother.

However, once you're holding a controller in your hands, and you're sitting sit down alone for a day, you realise that none of that matters. This game is exceptional.

To start, the combat system is
    precise. Dark Souls is near-sadistic in its expectations of you as a gamer. You're expected to be watchful and learn how enemies move, and then formulate exactly how to continue, whether that be with well-timed ripostes and backstabs, tactical luring with bows and throwing knives, or causing devastation by throwing golden spears of holy lightening into your foes heads. No matter the method, you're always one miss-click from seeing 'you died' plastered on the screen (get used to it). Seems unappealing, but It's this difficulty that makes it oh-so rewarding when you do finally reach the next checkpoint, or you finally conquer the boss-demon that you spent the last 50 mins of your life dying to. You did it, not the game 'holding your hand', it was your skill that got you through. It's unlike any game in recent memory in this regard. The bread and butter of any gaming experience is its mechanics, and Dark Souls certainly doesn't disappoint.

Being terse in regards to the story, as to not give spoilers, it's dark in both it's twisted nature and in the relative subtlety of its presentation. You're not assaulted with cut-scenes and shiny audiologs, no, you 'experience' the story around you, in worlds which, despite the dated graphics, are beautiful in design. You get a 'feel' for the lore without it ever feeling impressed upon. Again, if you don't spend the time 'taking it in', you won't get it.

One of the backbones of Dark Souls is its online integration. You will be helped by other players and killed by other players, you'll be sharing your victories (like hearing the bell-tower ring when ever another player defeats a certain boss), and you'll be sharing your defeats (pools of blood are laid in your world, containing the ill-fated last moments of others). Your interaction with fellow gamers has enough volume to stop Dark Souls from being lonely, to spur you on when you need it, but yet is cryptic enough not to break the immersion. Don't think for one moment that this game is social media.

On balance, once you've remedied the problems of the shoddy PC port(buy a controller!), this becomes one of the best games of the last decade. It's dark in it's story-telling, brutal in it's combat and uncompromising in it's approach. It's an adrenaline rush, and a bloody brilliant one at that. Hand-on-heart recommend for the strong of heart gamer.
  36. Jan 2, 2014
    I hated this game with all my heart, but after 10 hours, somehow I got hooked.
    If you think it's too hard, I recommend you to loosely follow a guide to help you where to go and what to do.
    I have a controller, I love to use it, and the DSfix does wonders.
  37. Dec 30, 2013
    After what seems like almost 3 years (simply because it actually has been this long by now) its finally dawned on me- I get Dark Souls. I understand enemy placement, items, most of the weapons, the different covenants, the boss fights, the NPC merchants, the layouts of all the areas in the game and even to some extent the "plot" or subplots contained amongst a very vague, shadowy, and ultimately somewhat pointless endeavor by you the player character. So what can I say about my rating for this game then? What is it about this game that has scorned me in such a way that going back and playing now is essentially pointless? Well for starters, the game is a mess. Not only developmentally, but in terms of many other relevant and important things that are simply not brought up. The soundtrack was simply intended for another game, seeing as it only plays during specific boss battles, or for certain areas. The rest of the "sound" is empty, ambient, fleeting and rather dull. The combat system is an acquired taste as well. Seeing as their are literally millions of configurations, item combinations, weapon combinations and armor combinations you could claim its "very amazing that this is all rather non intuitive and impossible for a person who does not have hundreds of hours on hand to figure them all out." Which brings me to my next point. What is the point of Dark Souls? Its core gameplay is fine, rather rudimentary and simple even. It makes sense after the first 10 hours or so and though it takes more time to understand the layouts of some frankly rather "small" areas in which you roam about, its still remains as quite different than most game titles these days. However, as most people have noticed, Dark Souls didn't exactly start any revolutions either. It kept players busy grinding, matchmaking dueling, summoning, and farming all around the mighty souls system itself. The human being deep somewhere in my bones would like to say that self-gratification in a game like Dark Souls comes at a huge cost whenever you die to something you would've needed literally hours of play testing yourself to bypass correctly or to have taken on directly. Which is why its so counter-intuitive really. The entire game based around collecting souls for your multi-purpose leveling solution and currency system completely undone by its own internal simplicity. Dark Souls is a simple game, much like Diablo 2 really or any other dungeon crawler. But even Diablo 2 had more "unique" environments, a better soundtrack for every area of the game, brilliant boss fights, and more memorability in my own opinion. As most know, the areas after Anor Londo are mostly empty, containing much more architectural splendor than meaningful, thought out level design and actual incentive to explore. The areas are by no means "massive" and I've never thought them to be particularly interesting to explore to begin with. Locations like the infamous Blight town are poorly coded, Dukes archives are practically empty, and the sprawling forest area is immensely tedious to wander around without any item incentives. The whole disconnect is there especially with player interaction via GFWL as well. Messages certainly don't matter and carry no real meaning for other players unless its actual advice left for whomever may be in that area. Covenants are distant, expensive, time consuming and don't really reward players as much as they think. Matches are often sparse, buggy, poorly optimized and usually quite lag ridden for both players involved and this isn't really what FROM SOFTWARE expected when they designed the game with consoles in mind. So much effort has to be made to get the game playable on PC that you are better off just not playing it either. Having played PVE for two years off and on- from having now played PVP for close to a year and a half- I can earnestly say.. I don't enjoy the game. It has taken a long time for me to finally come to terms with it, but I really truly recommend that new players simply avoid purchasing this incomplete and tedious action rpg. Dark Souls has not been emulated even once since its inception, which should tell you, what the rest of the western world at least, thinks of games done in this way. It isn't a bad game, but at this point its starting to sound like a bad inside joke among fans. Even Demons Souls fans grow tired of the stigma that is Dark Souls that has wiped out the popularity of its predecessor. Its so bad in fact that fans now speculate the entirety of the lore in the game, without really any reference or understanding beyond what things they see in the game itself. This tells me one of two things, either these people really want to see this amazing game that others don't see, or the other group that is less inclined to play this game as often are more apt to see it for its strengths and weaknesses instead. Just like any other game on the market today. Expand
  38. Dec 29, 2013
    not that good port to pc not much graphic option xbox 360 controller mapping and still i give this game a 10/10 2011 we had the witcher 2 m skyrim and this legendary RPG i was hesitant to play this game but i decided to give a try and am glad i did because for the 7 next days i fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing this game this game is not for everyone it is foe hardcore gamers only of you play games for fun then this game is not for you Expand
  39. Dec 28, 2013
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me. In about 75% of the game it's a fair challenge to the player but the rest of the remaining 25%? A very unfair memory test (Those percentages are totally not made up btw) The first boss for example, a real thrill of a challenge that feels rewarding once you beat him. But in other cases creatures off screen will just sling a projectile or some gargantuan beast from nowhere will pounce and you're dead. No two ways about it, your dead.
    The camera coupled with the level design can sometimes screw you over, where it'll clip behind a wall and block your complete view.
    I like a challenge, not a memory test of jump scares and OHKs.
  40. Dec 28, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Any game that requires Windows Live Beware! I've been screwed again buying before researching! This game is horrible, the voice acting is really bad, the graphics are bad even with top settings, and the 'auto-save' system is horrible. up and want to start a certain part over? NOPE. You will replay that horrible save over and over unless you make a new game. Speaking of making a new game, the story is very vague at the beginning and you get dumped into a jail and apparently you are a zombie, then with little to no tutorial and bag controls you are then pushed into a boss fight. I dont mine difficulty, but as a new play on level 1 everyone wants an easy level to learn how to play, but getting pushed into a ring with a boss right the get go only to be smashed 20 times before defeating it is just... Bad. This is a HORRIBLE console port (console ports are bad to begin with) But, the controls are really poorly done. if you do not have a Xbox controller, forget attempting to play this game. Luckily I got this on a steam sale for $6. TOTALLY not worth the full price. This game did however install perfectly and it didnt really have any bugs from waht I could tell. So it gets a 2. As for everything else over all, the story sucks, controls suck, graphics suck and voice acting sucked. Nothing good about this game but the music. Expand
  41. Dec 27, 2013
    This game is UNPLAYABLE as sold. It is the laziest, most awful port I've ever seen. It has keyboard remapping for actions like 'heavy attack' or 'use item' but then continues to give you menus that say 'press (A)'. There is no setting to map '(A)' to anything! You can use the mouse to control your direction, and left and right click work, but sometimes you'll click behind the screen and end up on your desktop because they clearly don't know how to make mouse controls work. The tips from players are all around but all for XBox controls as well.

Even beyond the horrible controls, the game telling is awful. You start off creating a character with no idea what any of the stats mean, and if you pick a class that uses magic, you get a skill that uses it, but not the resources to cast magic until later on. The very first enemy you have the fights back is a super boss fight that you absolutely can't win at this point, but there's no indication what you should do. Turns out, you can just run away.

This is the absolute LAZIEST game port I have ever seen, and shame on Metacritic for not reflecting it's near unplayability in it's score. The critics clearly had to have played the Xbox version, or have installed the third party fixes, SINCE THE DEVELOPER NEVER BOTHERED TO PATCH IT, EVER.

What a farce!!
  42. Dec 22, 2013
    I don't ever feel that games deserve a 0, but this one was close. Dark souls is original, in it's story and format, however the battle system that is used reminds me of the clunky and disjointed games from the 90's that failed all those years ago. It's not innovative, it's not creative, and it is certainly frustrating. Worst of all... it's boring, the aforementioned games from the 90's actually did a better job of implementing fighting systems like this.

Games should be fun, and I'm glad that some people had fun playing this game, but buyer be ware. It seems to be more and more, that people just see something that is "Dark, and gritty" and slap a '10' on it. The darker theme of this game does not redeem the terrible game play. There are some who are saying the console versions are better gameplay wise, I certainly hope they are right, but there have been too many games as of late like this one that everyone lauds as amazing, when they are just absolute garbage like Derek Zoolander's: Blue Steele.
  43. Dec 20, 2013
    This game really isn't that hard, but it's still a lot of fun.
    The combat is addicting, the world is big and theres a lot of replay ablity.

The port sucks though.
  44. Dec 13, 2013
    I don't understand how people can give this game a zero rating, this is one of the best games ever made, the addon allows 60 fps and greatly improves the texture, provided you install the addon the pc version is much better than the console version, though I'd highly recommend using a controller preferably 360) as the game is not as fun without one.
  45. Dec 11, 2013
    It's a fine maybe even great game as long as you don't care to play with a controller which makes it way easier. Also the port to pc wasn't great but it is not even close to game breaking. It is hard and challenging everything you need in a game
  46. Dec 6, 2013
    Dark Souls: Prepare to be Pissed at the worst PC port mankind has ever witnessed.

As if the difficulty of the game itself isn't enough to make you consider bolo-whipping your controller through your family's skulls.....you get the fun experience of trying to make this gd thing even barely function. Lady's and Gents....this is what you call a "cash grab" where the devs saw an
    opportunity to jam their console game through a bit-grinder and call it a PC game, and then laugh as they rub their nipples with dollar bills.
    So if you want to get this thing to run with mouse support, xbox gamepad support, and video graphics that don't look like donkey diarrhea, then be prepared to witness and experience the following:
    1. Remove all....yes...ALL of your USB devices
    2. Try to use your xbox controller. If that doesn't work, too bad I guess you don't have an "official MS gamepad" so you'll have to work harder.
    3. Install x360ce and go through a million hoops to get it to properly behave.
    4. Oh you wanted to leave your N52te gamepad plugged in? Well you'll have to unplug it, erase the x360ce config file, then disable multiple devices in your device manager, and then re-init x360ce, and then plug in your gamepad, and then pray to baby jesus it works.
    5. Oh crap....now you have a framerate issue.....oh crap....the intro cinematics are glitchy...
    6. Wow the graphics look like hell.....now we have to install Nexus Mod Manager and install the DSfix tool and a billion other mods.
    7. Ok screw the controller...let's go to the mouse.....oh man.....moving the mouse around is super glitchy and the camera studders so much you can't play it....
    8. Rage quit and then vent on Metacritic.

True story. The End.
    Seriously though, the issues/events described above are littered all over multiple forums where people are having massive issues with mice, gamepads, USB devices interfering with the game, graphics issues, refresh issues, you name it. While I don't think it would be worth an actual court battle over $30, it is however worth it to post these grievances on metacritic to strike their pocketbook as much as possible. Never again will I make the mistake of buying a late-term PC port. Do NOT buy this for PC.
  47. Dec 4, 2013
    Hace mucho no jugaba algo tan difícil y la historia me gusto mucho, aunque creo que podrían mejorar el apartado gráfico.

Espero que la saga siga mejorando con los moustros y la historia.
  48. Dec 2, 2013
    I played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (camera was fine, frame rate fine, resolution fine, etc.).

That being said, as I am sure one can discern based upon the critical reception, the game is fantastic with one caveat, if you go into it expecting hand holding consistent with how most games have been made over the past decade it's something of a rude awakening. The game is difficult but not as awe inspiringly challenging as some would have you believe, rather it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out the fairly basic mechanics of how the game works where it punishes you and where it doesn't it's no more difficult than playing another game in it's "hard" mode. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the challenge.

A complaint of mine has been that too many games you fly through the game without ever pausing to really take in the surroundings. Not so with Dark Souls in large part because the game forces you to proceed cautiously rushing into any area generally will mean a fairly quick demise. Overall though, your experience of the game hugely benefits because of this. And in terms of getting bang for your buck, pulling 60 hours out of your first playthrough is not an entirely unreasonable expectation depending on how thorough you choose to be.

I will not go into the minutiae of the game itself other than to say it's the most fully realized and engrossing dark fantasy world available on the PC. The only other that comes close is the Witcher 2 (another game I would strongly recommend, though for different reasons). If you like action RPG's and don't mind a challenge, this is the ticket.
  49. Dec 1, 2013
    Dark Souls is essentially a mediocre action game with shallow RPG elements tacked on. If you're looking for a GREAT action game, you're better off playing Devil May Cry (or DMC3 for that matter) which has RPG elements about as deep as you'll find in this game, (kill enemies, get currency, upgrade character) but with much better combat and tighter, more responsive controls.

The Nintendo
    hard challenge doesn't help the game much either, as it leads to very limited game play experience. Essentially, you run through an area fighting dull enemies, get one shot by the area boss, run through again, try to figure out how you got killed, die (of course), run through again, rinse and repeat until you figure out the boss's gimmick. Which just leads to you spending most of your time fighting the same predetermined enemies, while bashing your head against an over-tuned boss battle. Eventually you clear that area, and it's onto the next, and just like that, after just one area, you've experienced all the game has to offer. Expand
  50. Dec 1, 2013
    The PC port is downright dreadful. Don't even think about purchasing, if you don't own a controller.

The game itself is pretty solid, addicting and most of all challenging. It brings back memories of really hardcore oldschool games. Although it can be confusing, overwhelming and sometimes mindlessly frustrating, the feelings you get after each tiny step in progress cannot be put to words.
  51. Dec 1, 2013
    Absolutely terrible.Graphics are crapola! There's a patch mod to make it better but I spent 4hrs to try to get it to work without luck so I decided to just get into the game with it's crappy graphics.
    The idea of the game is great and is the only reason I'm not giving it a 0/10!
    What irritates me the most above the graphics and the usual glitch and bug is the difficulty and imbalance of
    this game. If you enjoy a game that you're finding yourself continuously having to kill the same enemies over and over and over to try to advance (as they respawn every time you die, or heal at your camp when you run out of potions), then good luck to you because this will certainly break you as it did I!
    The entire combat system is beyond retarded! Wayyy to difficult to block and counter enemies. Stamina is used to strike, block, dodge, counter you name it! So when you find yourself up against 2+ foes swinging their swords in your face...you die...why? Because you spend all your stamina blocking the first two strikes which leaves you open for a massive hit (3hits your dead).
    Horrible game, seriously steer clear
  52. Nov 29, 2013
    Dark Souls has the story, it has the progression, it has the loot and but it ruins it all in one single moment with a singe gimmicky gameplay mechanic.

I'm a big fan of RPG games, I love the idea of adventure, exploration and expansion of my character, Dark Souls isn't really an RPG where it matters, It's an RPG in terms of progression, It's and RPG in terms of it's rewards and Loot
    system, But as far as the gameplay goes, it's as far away as being an RPG as possible, it has a nice competent combat system, relying on health, stamina, timing and the type of enemy you are facing, all this is truly wonderful. It has an awesome loot system, tons of different weapon types, ton's of different combinations of class types. It's truly got everything that makes a great RPG, it also has some exploration and adventure, it's not the kind of thing you see in Fallout, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms Of Amalur, It's more linear, you have a set linear path, on a set linear story, but the world itself isn't linear, there are lots of places to go, lot's of hidden areas and tons of things to find, But, it's not open world and if it was, it may have benefited more from that.

So wait? I like it? Well, here is where the biggest problem with Dark Souls makes itself obvious, It's challenge and it's lack of options for those who don't want a challenge. Dark Souls tried to appeal to a specific audience and I respect that, I understand the type of people it's aimed at, the kind of people who play Minecraft on hardcore, The people who play Bioshock Infinite in 1999 mode The people who play Fallout in hardcore mode. I get it. But those games I Just mentioned, have a difficulty for people who don't like challenge, don't like being punished for every mistake. Dark Souls does it anyway, it's difficulty has sure given it a distinguishing calling card, a reputation per-say. But Dark Souls reputation could be that it's a truly amazing game were it not crippled by it's difficult reputation, what it does, is it turns people off. I put off buying Dark Souls for the reason, when I bought it, I liked it, but I'm glad I only paid £3 for it, put it that way. You NEED to give people options Namco, have difficult options for the people that want them and give a great experience for those who don't!
  53. Nov 29, 2013
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    Even with all the problems with the port, this game is simply stunning, not only to look at (it is beautiful) but also gameplay wise. The death works in this game is brilliant, it forces you to go deeper into the unknown everytime, you ever feel safe but its so much more satisfying if you achive a victory.
    It might take a while intil you finally dive
    deep into the game (it took 3 seperate starts for me) you will be locked into it and then there will be no escape!
    If you are a PC gamer that can handle an easy install of a few patches and LOOOOOOOOVE RPG's this game is simply a must have.
    the mere fact that I give this game a 10/10 even though it has so many problems should speak for it self.
  54. Nov 28, 2013
    This is total crap. You need to install 100 patches and hacks to make it kinda work on pc and its still unplayable. I tried to make it work for 1 hour and I surrendered. Even if you patch it up, you're still getting confusing Xbox 360 input tutorials. It's totaly broken.
  55. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is simply awesome. And the people that dislike it have no idea that you can just fix the game by downloading one SINGLE mod. By downloading DSFix you can unlock the 30 fps cap, you can go above 720p. I run this game at 40 fps cap and 1080p It's perfect I love using the controler with this game, it feels natural. So I cannot complain about the keyboard issues. The story, the atmosphere, the gameplay of this game is absolutely amazing Expand
  56. Nov 20, 2013
    First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden, but complex story, great responsive combat system, unique multiplayer elements and extremely addictive gameplay. Yes, this can be a very challenging piece at your first playthrough, but as you learn from your mistakes and your skill goes through natural progress, you're slowly becoming a master and you will eventually fall in love with this beast. 10/10 Expand
  57. Nov 19, 2013
    This game has an awful BUT after u install and setup the unofficial patch the game is just great combat RPG lv-up elements, and finally not a game that babysits u and hold your hand... game is full of mini boss and boss fights and most of the game u will feel changed buy ai. Exploration on your own, sudden deaths, and so much depth of what looks like basic RPG is just so immersive.
    I had
    some issues with Big Hat Logain and had to kill last boss whit basic magics but it only made it even more rewarding at the end. Am not sure i even want to talk about awesome mp features of the game 9.9 from me but am not sure how to do it so will give it a 10 :)
    gamepad is a must
  58. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

59. Nov 16, 2013
    Dark Souls is a challenging action rpg and is enthralling...Every area you enter is an adventure. The story is told through the actions of npcs and given in tidbits through item descriptions and locations. Although not the most effective method of story telling it lends itself to excellent replay. As you complete the game you can't help, but feeling it is not the end; there is more. You need to explore and read and listen to the dialog to find new things, new secrets new characters.
    It is like a 3d Castlevania packed with hidden secrets, weapons and short cuts. The large world is very interconnected and rife with spectacular view points allowing you to overlook the areas above and below. Areas you have been to are now off in the distance as a reminder of just how far you have come. Praise the sun!!

In spite of the minor issues with the port and bad mouse and keyboard controls its still the best rpg ever made. If you limit yourself to mouse and keyboard only then this probably isn't the game for you, but for everyone else that has the ability to learn and adapt to new challenges this a great game.
  60. Nov 14, 2013
    Refer to my previous Dark Souls review on 360 if interested. Prepare to die edition is a horrible port to the PC, it looks like an emulator running. The game never seems to work when trying to summon, or be summoned, their PVP system never worked for me, and invading seems to work the best yet there are many hackers. Besides that, I really enjoy the expansion which lasts about 3 extra hours long, 3 new bosses, 1 can be missed. Newer spells, 1 which is overpowered, newer items, and weapons that can be forged from new boss souls. The story is interesting, but never really dives the player deep into it. You see a younger Wolf Sif, but you may miss the story behind it, and may need to resort to the Wiki to find out the details.
    Overall Score: 8.0 out of 10.
  61. Nov 12, 2013
    Be wary for those who venture on this path. Prepare to Die. More than just words on the cover. These words serve as a foreshadowing warning. Yes, this game is fun. Yes, this game is horrible. It is a challenge. Get it and try your patience and sanity. It's not for everyone, only elite gamers.
  62. Nov 11, 2013
    I heard this is the hardest game ever made, that and demons souls which I never played. Aside from just timing on dodge and parrys this game didn't seem THAT hard to me, it is probably the hardest ive played...no, the most frustrating game ive played only because sometimes checkpoints are an hour away and dieing loses your souls (currency) and if u die again before you reclaim them you lose them all. Also the reason I give this an 8 for PC is because it was a horrible horrible console port, which you can only fix by googleing DSfix downloading it and throwing it into your data folder, then if comp savy enough to modify the script, which is a piss off, reminds me of Prototype 2 port...Anyways great game, hard as F*ck. If your a veteran hardcore gamer, this games for you, and it will still be challengeing and you will still die ALOT. That's all I gotta say. Expand
  63. Nov 6, 2013
    Meh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wanted to experience the sensation of getting better. But unfortunately the game did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. While it plays well with a controller, the game seems very small and lacking in many aspects. Feels dull and boring. There's no direction to anything you do in the game, it's just... mindless. I guess there is some kind of lore hidden in the game, but it's not worth looking for to be honest. I bought the game from Steam, played it for 6 hours and was pretty much done with it. Expand
  64. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of my all time fav games i couldnt belive the shear content depth and fun into the game fighting these bosses with the new game takes some skill and thats why i love this game it takes skill not luck besides bed of cahos if i were to say one bad thing about the game it would be the pc controll's they are terrible but that does not make this a bad game the mods and wonder of the community with the pc is great and you can just plug in an xbox controller awsome game 10/10 not for noobs Expand
  65. Nov 2, 2013
    The PC port is bad but the mod called DSfix fixes everything. DSfix also enables texture modding possibilities by the way.

Anyway, the game itself is brilliant! It's easy and hard, simple and complex and fun and boring at the same time! I can't really explain it better than that lol.

The combat is simple yet it flows and feels good. You have a ton of things to consider regarding gear
    that will change combat so much that I't quite amazing how they've manage to balance it. I'd personally love a bit more gear to choose between and possibly a real dual wield combat style.

The story is great but it isn't forced down your throat so you can kind of choose whether you want to play this as a pure arcade game, an RPG or a mix between the two. The online stuff is also great, but you can choose not to be a part of that by plugging out your internet cable.
  66. Oct 28, 2013
    Originally created for the xbox and hastily ported to the pc. But you know what? Who cares. Bad controls? Get a damn controller. Too difficult and not used to the lack of spoon feeding? Step up your game or off. Dark souls isn't your average rpg, oh no. It will kill you. ALOT. And unless you're persistent and quick to learn and observant. you will die and die and die and die and die some more. Tons of content and lore for the player who wants to dig deeper. Finished this with only the keyboard, have over 700 hours in gameplay. Expand
  67. Oct 28, 2013
    I can't wait until gaming technology is advanced enough that developers will be able to implement a button that freezes the action to allow you to go to the bathroom, or answer the phone, or perform other basic real-life tasks.

Oh wait...
  68. Oct 27, 2013
    Really bad port of what is supposed to be an excellent game by all accounts. The control system drives you up the wall and doesn't feel responsive enough and just generally the game just feels... not quite there.
  69. Oct 25, 2013
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular
    section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
  70. Oct 23, 2013
    Just another crappy console port. The game just revolves around a cycle like the following. Enter a new area, and fight some enemies crawling around. Find the boss, and memorize its attack pattern until you can perfectly dodge its attack to avoid being 1-hit kill. Then, wait for the exact moment after its attack so you can hit it once before it starts to repeat its whole attack sequence. For each attack, you can probably reduce around 1 over 100 to 1 over 50 of its HP. Just be patient until you beat the boss. Then, you can enter a new area to repeat the whole memorizing sequence again. Expand
  71. Oct 18, 2013
    QWOP: the RPG. While there are interesting and some decently deep action-RPG elements here, the game mostly serves as a filter for people who are willing to stand for unnecessarily naff and inadequate controls and unnecessary punishment. It's sort of like a modern version of the NES version of Dragon's Lair: completely trial-and-error, glitchy, with inferior graphics. It doesn't help that the PC port is awful either, lacking resolution upscaling out of the box and very weird mouse support to where you need to download user mods to fix everything. The story is shallow as a puddle and basically the long and short of it is that you're trying to make the world nice and cushy for humanity by fighting about 500 godlike creatures who can all easily kill you. They attack you on sight despite not actually having any purpose in life. The fans will deny all this; they will say it's highly skill-based even though they died thousands of times memorizing attack patterns, they will say the graphics are great even though they're about 6-7 years stale (probably unrealized because the fans are mostly console players), they will say the story is deep just because there's lots of informed background and some people act sad and crazy sometimes. If you are familiar with the game QWOP, this is essentially the RPG form of that. You try and try and try again to wrangle the controls to do what should be simple. Do not play unless you have thousands of hours to waste and enjoy wasting time. Expand
  72. Oct 18, 2013
    Terrible game. I don't understand the motivation of the main character, whom you play as. You are seeking a goal but in the end the goal does nothing for your character, it is a flame that beckons and keeps you warm but upon sitting with it all it does is destroy you at the end. The end is nothing more than the relationship a moth has with a flame. So there it is at the end, after all the time you spend with the flame, after all the trials and hardships and gifts it does nothing but destroy you. Enjoy your oblivious and pointless ending of nothingness. Sounds are subtle and that's a flaw because without the audio I can not sense theme or meaning. A large example of this is during the last part of the game it will only play an obtusely and exaggerated piano solo in a vain attempt to garner an emotional response from the player when at the time all you should feel as the player is a yawning sense of unease, boredom and just general defeatism. This is something that generally carries through the entire audio library of the game, monotone clang sounds for weapons that match one another and unsatisfying sounds when a weapon connects makes nothing but a small shearing noise. Controls are heavy and slow and overall confusing, for example once you hit the attack button you have to commit to the attack animation and if it misses this will result in a longer recovery meaning you are encouraged to really never attack except in the most assuredly favorable conditions. Chances are for the player that's practically never. I don't understand why a pole-arm would work differently than a sword or saber. Graphics are substandard and the player inexplicably always casts a light source which shows technical weakness such as 2D flora, characters generally rip from all 6th century archetypes and such. Example being the sun worshipping is not unlike Zoroarastrism. Additionally the commodity system is bungled in how that it is tied to your character's experience system for levelling making the overall game an absolute chore. That's just the game in the end: a job with no joy. Expand
  73. Oct 16, 2013
    This can't even be considered a port. The controls are horrendous, the UI only shows controls for the Xbox 360 controller, and there is no way to actually exit the game; you must ALT-Tab out to kill it. Absolutely atrocious.
  74. Oct 16, 2013
    Brutally difficult and challenging, which makes for a massochistic pleasure for hardcore gamers. As noted in some other reviews, there are some sloppy aspects to the pc port. I played with a gamepad, so may have noticed this less than others. Not for the weak of heart!
  75. Oct 14, 2013
    decided against my better judgement to buy this game, even though I had heard it had been a pretty bad console port. I was thinking hey, people said that about Skyrim and I didnt have a problem with that! But this game has created a entirely new category for ports.

After three hours of messing with options and trying different fixes I was able to get the game to actually start. I
    finally got through the pain of that to discover how bad the port of this game actually is. If you are potential customer please please heed my warning before buying this. It is simply not worth it. Here is some of what you will go through even IF you get the game running:

The game requires you to be constantly connected to GFWL to even save the game; GFWL is a broken and discontinued service. Good luck finding some workaround.

All of the default settings and control settings make no sense, and none of the tips are tied to a keyboard mouse. A few kind souls have tried to develop some fixes (dsfix and dsmfix) but they may not work for you. Even after downloading these fixes and messing with the .ini files, I cannot get my mouse to work with this game.

Throw away your money if you want, but I've warned you.
  76. Oct 10, 2013
    I consider myself being one of the kind of players that just feel bored after 30 minutes of a single player and just want to log to LoL/WoW/Dota or Counter Strike. I played most new games like Bioshock, Dishnored, Batman, ecc, but the real game I really enjoyed to play is Dark Souls. Why?
    Dark Souls is not an interactive movie with crap gameplay like Bioshock Infinite. It has no unique
    pattern and approach with boring fights like Batman.
    In Dark Souls you really feel lost to yourself not knowing sometimes where or what to do, every direction you look from Firelink Shrine you are scared. It really took me long to finish the game, and trust me it was a very stressful accomplishment to make. I give the game 9 because the port sucks. Don't dare playing it without a joypad, better if you have a 360 one.
  77. Oct 10, 2013
    As a game, it's pretty good. It's hard, it's challenging, it makes you want to come back for more. As a PC game? It's about on par with mashing your hands with a hammer. Blah blah, they had to port it on such a short time frame! Sure, but how long has it been out? Games can be updated y' know. And why does it look like ass no matter what I do with the settings?

I then bought a control
    to play it, and sure, the control helps, but the targeting system makes your character look at the sky like a retard, and God forbid you want to change the controls a little to make it easier to play. The lack of support for PC is atrocious, and any attempt at an excuse of "It was a forced port" is a load of It's a game, an exercise in business, you made it to sell it to make money. It wasn't one man in a shed with a hammer, a magic box shaped thing with people inside, and a ton of LSD.

If Dark Souls is anything to go off, Dark Souls 2 will be great on consoles, a disaster on PC. Go buy something else, like... Diablo 3, Mass Effect, or hookers.

Really, really poor form in just rushing it to a PC. Would have expected better from what I heard and saw.
  78. Oct 8, 2013
    MOD MOD MOD AND GAMEPAD IT UP!!!! Yes this port is pure trash, but thanks to our loving DS community, there's plenty of texture and UI mods that resurrect this perfect game from its portdeath, besides the MODS MAKE IT LOOK EYEGASMIC, so I'm enjoying the game even more than I did on the console!!!
  79. Oct 7, 2013
    no me e terminado el juego pero, lo que llevo me a dado una muy buena impresión de este, me dificulta mucho jugarlo por que lo juego en pc, los controles son algo incómodos, la optimizacion en pc es nula pero a parte de todo eso me sigue pareciendo un juego de culto.
  80. Oct 2, 2013
    Dark souls is a great game. It really is and I give a 7/10 score not because the game is bad, but rather because it's a fairly bad port. If you're going to get it on the pc make sure you have a controller for your computer. Also, it can be quite a hassle when starting it up for the first time thanks to Games For Windows Live Marketplace but a bit of searching the internet should solve that issue.
  81. Oct 1, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game. If ONLY, it had awesome controls and awesome pc port it would have atleast 9/10. A very mysterious dark, fun, cool, HARD, challenging, rewarding game.
  82. Sep 27, 2013
    The first measure of a good game is does it make me want to keep playing it. This game fails that test. I even took heed of the numerous warnings to use a Gamepad, something I've never had to do for any PC game. I made it about 2 hours in, but I had to force myself to do that much, hoping to give it a chance to get better. It didn't.

I honestly don't know why there are so many gushing
    reviews of this game. Apparently the standards for a console game are a lot lower. If this game had been released exclusively to PC, it would be relegated to obscurity in the shadow of games like Skyrim, which is superior in every way other than being so hard that you die 5 times before getting out of the tutorial. (Which could be a plus or a minus depending on who's asking I suppose.) I tried really hard to like this game, but the graphics (even after the 3rd party mod to unlock the resolution) are lack-luster, the environments are dull and uninspired, the enemies that I encountered are generic. The story is non-existant, and the protagonist has no personality what-so ever to make me want to care about him/her, neither do any of the scarce NPCs I met. The combat was bland and the character movements and animations clumsy.

This game just feels through and through like something that was lazily thrown together to make some fast cash. Here are some real hallmarks of the laziness of this game. 1. NPC voice overs but static faces. I can't remember the last time I saw a game that did that. If you're not going to at least make their mouths move, don't bother giving voice overs. 2. Every single monster I killed ended up with a ragdoll corpse getting stuck in between my feet and kicked along as I walked. Really? 3. I routinely lined up a power attack on an enemy only to have my character leap diagonally 3 feet to the right of where I was aiming, leaving me vulnerable during the 5 second recovery time. Apparently you HAVE to use target lock if you want your attacks to hit. 4. See any of the reviews that harp on about the pure laziness of the terrible PC port.

There's no joy in this game, just a dull grind through generic monsters with no real goal or story in evidence. The only positive thing to say about it is that it's "really really challenging". But I for one don't find that appealing in a game when it's to no end except to make you grind from the last save back through the same dull environments and bland fights again and again.

Don't buy this game. Go re-play Skyrim instead, you'll have way more fun.
  83. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a *must* play for any action rpg fan. There is nothing else like it. PC port does present technical issues but they are easily dealt with. Do not attempt to play this without a controller, it is not designed for kb/m interaction.

It is, however, one of the finest games of our generation.
  84. Sep 25, 2013
    If there is 1 thing that really annoys PC users it is terrible console ports. It is not so bad if they make an effort but when they do not, it shows. The entire game becomes a reminder of how bad games get. Dark Souls is such a game. The games controls are super sensitive by default on modern PCs and because it is a bad console port, there is no sensitivity adjuster like you would expect in ALL PC GAMES made during the last 15 years. Also the keys that the game tells you to press are not the keys the PC version uses. So you are left guessing how to get back to the menu to check what keys should be pressed. Only they did not use the default escape key for that, that would be far too easy to find, no they used the END key... so you spend 30 minutes stabbing at the keyboard hoping to get lucky when half the time, keys do nothing unless your stood next to something special. So you still do not learn what the keys do simply by pressing them and the game makes zero effort to teach you them. A truly terrible game, no effort made during the porting process what so ever and it shows. Expand
  85. Sep 25, 2013
    I just don't get it have some people can rate this game so high.

The port is complete fail. I don't really care about graphic, but I feel cheated as they deliver sub standard port where you can't even change the resolution not mention anything else. This go even further as they were not able even remove default mouse cursor Think like game is running in window mode by default is just
    detail. It scream loudly lets get some money out of it while it is still popular.

Controlling is not really good while playing on game pad and from time to time you would feel like you need one more finger, the latency of you clicking is quiet slow and sometimes you just look how your character is still doing something while you are trying to do something else. Also sometimes miss-click may cost you your life and trust me it happens more often than pleasant. If you would think you can play it with keyboard forget it they just tried to map game pad directly to keyboard and it is just unplayable. If you do not own gamed or planing to buy one don't by the game.

The game looks great even in oldish graphic it have its charm and is quite original with nice sceneries.

The system of stats, weapons, armours and magic is good but nothing really original, what I liked a lot was weapons are not purely based on strength or dexterity but it partially on both and the ratio depends on each weapon. Also I really like how weapons don't just go through the walls but actually stop the attack as if you hit enemy shield.

There is one more problem and that is camera I found myself dead few times just because I could not seen myself and saw just wall behind me or boss or something like this instead or when I used lock on enemy this occasionally picked someone than wasn't even endangering me instead of the creature that actually killed me before I managed to hit because of this.

The best think about this game should have be that it is hard and challenging and that was the reason I bought this game in a first place as I love such game and they are really spare nowadays, but somehow I can see it her. The part where you are fighting with non-boss monsters is just normal nothing changeling (if camera don't do its tricks or you up dead because of the lazy controller) .

Fight with bosses are deadly hard, but the strategy is not so hard to made only problem is the execution when you can die easily as they can kill you with one or two blows, this wouldn't be such a problem it was not quite often result of bad camera or problematic control. Your dead will result in re-spawn of you but also all monsters so you need to get through repetitive fights with lesser monster again and again as you will never beat the boss in few first tries. This was quite boring to me. I don't know, I just can't see than supper challenges and hardcore difficulty, I see hardcore bosses, but the rest is more like problems of camera and controls or tedious killing without any real difficulty or challenges.

On one hand I liked lot of aspects of this game very much and it brought lot good stuff, but have also lot of problems and things that were plainly shoddy done in process of porting. I think this is most inconsistent game I have ever played what is really shame as it could have one of the best games I have ever played with just a bit of polishing here and there and some proper porting
  86. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the worst port I have ever seen. they have not even bothered to remove the Xbox controller promps when playing on a keyboard.

Also the Camera is very jittery and unpredictable, also why oh why would they leave the standard mouse pointer to be seen permanently in the game....

Please don't waste your money on this.
  87. Sep 22, 2013
    Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues, and I would highly recommend you have a game pad. Expand
  88. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a console port and it was made by FromSoftware for people who wished to have it on PC, quite a while after the console version was released. Now for the game itself, the gameplay mechanics are wonderful and the game is deep and challenging, people give it a bad rep because they have no patience and are used to the linear hack and slash two hit kills gameplay they get from other sword and shield games (the type that take about 2 hours to complete), the story is incredibly deep and is purposely shrouded in mystery in order for the player to discover it and see the depth and journey for himself instead of handing it out on a silver platter. It's a masterpiece of a game, unrivaled by any other RPG to date. Expand
  89. Sep 16, 2013
    When it comes to dark souls, I am conflicted having played both the console and PC Port. I'll start now, saying that the PC Port receives a 5/10 without any mods, 6/10 properly modded while the console version gets a 7/10 because it's multiplayer isn't compromised by Games for Windows Live. Take this score as objectively as possible, because my subjective opinion is that I absolutely love this game and if I graded this score based on my subjective opinion, I'd grade it a 10.

Dark souls is a gritty dungeon crawler that has become famous due to it's difficulty with a slightly more open world than it's predecessor Demon Souls. Unlike Boletaria, Lordran is plagued with the undead who have started to appear as the fires within the Kiln of the First Flame start to die out.

Gameplay: Dark souls follows the same formula as Demon Souls when it comes to gameplay. It's an 'hack and slash' adventure RPG with a lot of strategic depth. Fights require you to think and time your attacks precisely whilst monitoring your stamina use. Stamina is used for attacking, blocking, dodging and running making it incredibly important. Weapons and armor all have their pros and cons, but although there are weapon and armor stats there is also a metagame involved. There is no 'best weapon of the game' like in some other RPGs as a weapon is only useful if you can use it well. In PVP this is seen quite clearly. Armor might be effective, but you might want to use light armor to be more mobile and able to dodge, or invest in Endurance so you get more carrying capacity and are able to use Medium armor as if it were light armor. If you don't know how to move in the set of armor you're using, it's also not going to do much which makes the game very skill based which is a very good thing.
    It's also here however that the game takes a blow from it's poorly executed PC Port. I'm certain that many PC gamers are thankful that From Software ported the game to PC, but the PC controls are absolutely horrible making the game impossible to play without a gamepad unless one gets mods to fix them like the DSFix and the DS Mouse Fix. I know some people who don't have gamepads, and were greatly aggravated claiming the game was unplayable until they finally got the mods.

Multiplayer is the heart and soul of the game, you don't experience it fully if you're not playing online. Players leave messages giving you hints about dangers ahead or luring you to your death, bloostains tell you how others have died, if you're not Hollowed, a state that you start at untill you sacrifice Humanity to reverse it and regain if you die, you can summon players from their game world to help you complete the level, but you can also be invaded by other players or worse. Unlike Demon souls where there was just an axis between good and evil, in Dark Souls factions were introduced into the game with plenty of different multiplayer interactions, Gravelords will infect your world with powerful monsters until you find their signs for instance which is many a New Game player's woe. If you get it to work that is. Games for Windows Live is absolutely broken and I'm sure From Software only used it because they didn't know what they were getting into. Because it doens't work, players have brought upon themselves ways of fixing this by modding the game, but making it only possible for players in their friends list to invade them, with large groups like /vg/ having a player list so people can have others to interact with but also further isolating the community. Without the mod, you're likely not to invade anyone not to mention the amount of people who just play the game as Hollow to not be invaded, completely removing multiplayer from the picture due to it's horrible implementation.

The story is very interesting but also very vague, but I say this in a good way. Most of the things you'll discover will be through speculation and item descriptions, with Lordran itself being an amazing setting filled with different scenarios. From the decadent Undead Parish, it's sewers and putrid blight town, to the Demon Ruins below the earth filled with Lava, to the city of the 'Gods' Anor Londo and the new DLC areas which include the Abyss.

However, when looking at it objectively, this game is an improvement Demon Souls but some of it has been stripped and streamlined. There is no longer 'mana', magic has charges which makes it very easy for a character to pick it up. In fact, with Pyromancy, one only needs attunement to get more spells and an improved pyromancy flame to be effective (As well as skill to use them). In Demon Souls, you needed intelligence to improve your mana and spell uses. As a Faith character, you needed to invest in inteligence anyway for mana as well as faith for your spells to be effective and to have more spell slots. There are too many checkpoints, making the game a lot easier than it's predecessor. It's still a game you can spend a lot of time on and worth your money.
  90. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty much the exact same fantastic game as the console versions but FROM SOFT messed up the port with bad keyboard+mouse controls, and poor PC optimization. Nothing community mods couldn't fix though.
  91. Sep 11, 2013
    The porting on PC is just awful, but with the right fixes made by the community, the game is very enjoyable.

The combat mechanics are great, and the background story and the atmosphere are awesome. The main story is not that good, but as I said, the settings and the events behind our adventure are very detailed.

Everyone should buy this masterpiece. It's an unique action RPG, full of
    details and things to discover. Dark Souls is potentially an endless game... just prepare yourself to die an infinite amount of times! Expand
  92. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is very atmospheric and challenging. People complaining about it just have to go and buy a controller to plug into their PC. It's only ~20$.
  93. Sep 5, 2013
    As one the worst ports I've ever played, it also suffers from poor storytelling and an unforgiving difficulty. The battle mechanics are very good, while boss fights are the highlights of the game. It can be tedious sometimes, but it is an overall enjoyable experience that requires patience and dedication.
  94. Sep 1, 2013
    Forget about playing with keyboard and mouse, you just have to accept with this one that it's designed to be played with a controller. Once you get over that little stumbling block, then you're in for a world of wonder. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said but I will say it all again anyway because this game is something else in today's market. It takes today's crop of hand-holding games and throws that philosophy out the window. Games like the Fable series and the later Elder Scrolls series (IV and V) offer no real challenge. The Fable games are quite fun (the first one anyway) but you breeze through them in mere hours and can easily complete them without dying. I gave up on Skyrim after it became just a routine of blasting through dungeon after dungeon like the unstoppable destroyer you so easily become. You know a game is doing something wrong when a dragon appears in the sky and all you do is roll your eyes thinking "another nuisance." With Dark Souls you start sweating when you see something as big as a dragon appear because the game is difficult. The first time you run through this game everything is more difficult than it should be and the reason is because you are liable to die at any time. The first enemies you kill when you first get a weapon can still challenge you hours into the game if you're not careful. Yes you can cut through them like butter at that stage but you still need to maintain concentration and take them out efficiently because even a bunch of lowly Hollows can take you down quickly if you let them swarm you. The beautiful thing about this is when you're exploring a new area and haven't a clue where you are, everything terrifies you because everything can kill you. And when your health bar is at about two thirds and you're unable to heal, have no idea where the next "checkpoint" is and you're carrying a whole lot of souls that you so desperately don't want to lose but you don't know what's waiting around the next corner, then you will start to feel your blood rush and I don't know about you but a game hasn't made me feel like that in a long long time. One of the neatest things about this game is the shortcut system built into the world. With limited loading screens the game does well in immersing you into the experience but the clever shortcuts prevent endless trekking around and also serve as a slight reward in that you are spared from going through some of the tougher parts of the game more than once as you can cut out the bulk of journey. Of course the shortcuts themselves are kind of cheesy in that they're usually just doors that only open from one side for some reason or elevators that have to be activated from the top first before they work properly but the way the world is all interconnected gives a nice feel to the game. Of course the world is quite huge and later the teleport system can be deemed almost necessary if not as immersive as the shortcut system. The story of the game is best judged as an accumulation of all the subplots rather than just the main quest line. That being said this game has some fantastic lore which you have to tease out bit by bit through item descriptions and sparse NPC dialogue but I've spent a lot of time just reading up on the different NPC's and their backgrounds as you'll find nearly everyone in Dark Souls has a very interesting story. What I like about this is that while you're clearly the strongest dude around and the so-called "main character," not everything revolves around you and some NPC's couldn't care less about who you are. Again it adds to the immersion that everyone has their own agenda and aren't just waiting around doing nothing until you come along to do some mundane task for them so they can get on with their lives. Nothing breaks immersion like the almighty Dragonborn having to make house calls because some dame has got a problem with some rats. I should point out in conclusion that the Elder Scrolls and Fable series have their own merits and I am a fan of them, but Dark Souls offers an entirely different and even though this word is always used rewarding experience. It is not, as some claim, difficult for the sake of being difficult. It is difficult for the sake of being real. It is one of the best experiences in gaming that's out there and you'd be doing yourself a favour if you picked it up, even if you only make it to Blighttown. Expand
  95. Sep 1, 2013
    A friend suggested I buy this game because it is challenging and a good throwback to how games used to be. Well, I can agree that the game is indeed difficult, but unfortunately it is the dumb kind of difficulty, where the enemies just 2 shoot you. Normal creeps also have the ability to instagib you with an animated attack, even if you are at full health. The story is pretty much non-existent, you are never told anything helpful as there is no tutorial/practice level and you learn the tactics for a particular boss by dying to them, respawning and running to them again. You don't really know where to go or what do to apart from a general idea of "ringing two bells". The NPCs don't tell you anything more useful than that. Top it off with PKers invading your world even though their level is twice as high as you and the fact that to understand anything of the game-play the Covenants, the Invasions, the Phantoms, Bosses etc. you have to browse the Wiki. Oh, and the abysmal respawn system where you have to run back to where you died to pick up your experience points before finding a shortcut this might take up to 15 minutes to reach your body the monsters have all respawned, too. All in all, a disappointment, and the only redeeming factor for me is that I bought it on a Steam sale. If you do play this game, do it on a controller, not the keyboard+mouse as the port sucks. Expand
  96. Aug 27, 2013
    Through game play, interesting narrative and story, Dark Souls has SO much to offer. The problems with the port however must be addressed first before I go into the actual review of the game...

The port from consoles to PC was rushed, sloppy and almost unplayable (if at all). There is a strong recommendation to have a Xbox 360 controller before playing and it is mandatory that you have
    one.
    At first I recalled Super Meat Boy where even in the game they recommended you have a controller but I ended up beating that game with a keyboard (light and dark world). In Dark Souls however, I couldn't even clear some of the basic mobs running around at the start of the game.

In regards to the graphics, I was ok with their quality, as my system never buffered or felt slowed down immensely by the game however a simple patch could have solved the issue but one was not provided...

Another issue is with the "Prepare To Die" Content... This is almost impossible to find without external help. The exact details of unlocking it left me confused that I had to look it up through a guide. To me with so much of the game being great at letting you choose your own path, the exact conditions to get to the DLC are a bit ridiculous and will take some time and atmosphere out of the game while you look up how to get there.

Lastly, this game does launch with "Games for Windows" which is it's own mess, but if you want to play the game offline you may lose your save until you re-establish connection. This is most frustrating since most aspects of the game are offline and if your internet connection drops you automatically quit the game and need to reconnect to keep playing (sometimes it works offline but that is rare).

With THAT out of the way we can get to the actual game itself. I am rating an 8 because the pros do outweigh the cons only when you have a 360 controller. Bear in mind if that option was not available this game would easily be one of the worst I have ever played.

The game is amazing. Not only is there an incredible back story to go with the game, but all of the bosses are foreshadowed at the start and are not just simply mobs you fight later.

Game play is brutal and the developers want you to know that from the start. The mobs you encounter before the first boss are more or less training dummies, all preparing you for your first trial. This is already aberrational from normal game design because not only are you expected to handle any trial thrown at you, there must be an almost precise execution of this knowledge. That being said, this makes or breaks Dark Souls for you. I personally relish a challenge and killing a boss without feeling you "earned it" feels weak and causes you to either get bored with that game, or try to increase the difficulty on your own (AKA Veteran mode, using only a certain weapon etc...). In Dark Souls, while the challenges are great, overcoming them is the most rewarding aspect of the game.

As far as the story goes, there is nearly no narrative in the game at all pointing you in a certain direction. This is a hit or a miss for most people and either the major strength or flaw for gamers. I loved this aspect of the game because I wasn't sent on a mission from someone else rather, I was choosing my path through the game and it was the initiative I took on that determined how successful I was. That being said, the lack of narrative doesn't make for an empty experience. There is good reason why you are not pointed in a direction and that is well... At the start of the game your character is nothing special. No legendary hero sleeping or warrior with hidden power. You are just another undead who decides to create your own destiny. If the game "crowned" you, the player, with anything more, then you would have no doubt Victory was assured. By not showering you in praise for just existing, the game gives the player a sense of humility which is not bad or degrading by any means.

With all that being said, Dark souls is a masterpiece from start to end. By following the lore through the game when it is given to you (Not with cheap books but through your own discovery) at the end you will have a true appreciation about what you have been doing all along and even question yourself by saying "Why did I do what I just did?" and that is by far one of the greatest narratives a story can give is that of your own voice.

So in summary, while there are obvious flaws in the PC port with almost no support at all, the game itself is not broken. If you enjoy a challenge apart from the mundane hack-and-slash games, Dark Souls is what you are looking for. If you only want a fun game to spend a few hours at however, I would say to look towards other games not because this game isn't for you, but because it was designed to have a different purpose.

Hopefully this helps you decide whether or not to buy the game. I know it was worth it for me.
  97. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. For players PC without a joystick to play better not to even look in the direction of this game. But if you did have started to play without a joystick then get even more hardcore.
  98. Aug 23, 2013
    This page is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. The casuals giving this game a 1 4 need to get their mouth off of CoD's and start playing games where it doesn't treat you like a child.

Some make this game sounds like it's hard. The others make it sound like it will strangle you with your own intestines and paint the city with your blood. Both of those are true. While
    this is a crappy port, all you need to fix it is a controller. If you plan to play this game with a mouse and keyboard you're smoking something nasty. Expand
  99. Aug 22, 2013
    The opening cinematics hint at a truly remarkable game. The rave reviews of fans are encouraging. However my PC version of this game remains unplayable for two key reasons: (1) Games For Windows Live. Why in the seven hells, did they have to append this horrible DRM on the game? This refuses to log in, refuses to allow saves in game, and refuses to even allow the game to be quit out of without alt F4! (2) The controls are even worse than you heard. From Software chose the most ridiculous keys they could think of for their key mapping. "Buy a controller?" Hell, WHY! This is clearly a console game. As PC software it clearly earns 0/10. I suggest those who want to enjoy it do so on console.

100. Aug 12, 2013
    Garbage port. Key bindings are the worst and the game wont even tell you which key because it only displays controller buttons. After finally getting it to go full screen and controller hooked up, gameplay was still buggy and the camera was awful. At one point an enemy had killed me at a bonfire, but when I respawned he still had agro on me again (and again). To make this worse, the game does not pause at all when entering any menu so I had to kite the enemy around before he killed me just to be able to exit the game. I can understand not pausing during pvp but this was in offline mode. Tutorial is practically non existent and expects you to just guess what the mechanics of the game are half the time. Little notes written on the ground where it's usually too late to respond to the situation after trying to read them does not suffice for helping new people get into the game. Expand
  101. Aug 24, 2012
    I'm wishing I'd spent my money on Darksiders II instead. This game is just dire. The story is let down by graphics that wouldn't have looked out of place on my original Xbox. Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, but it's obviously still intended to be played on a big screen. Don't get me started on the control system; if I'd wanted to use a gamepad to play a game, I'd have bought it for my 360 instead. You can customize the keyboard controls and even use a mouse (mouse support is just terrible), but all of the on-screen prompts assume you're using a game pad. So you're left either mashing keys until you get the right one, or having to look it up on the cheat-sheet you've probably had to print out to stand any chance of even being able to press the correct button. The camera controls are also extremely annoying. TL;DR - If you want this game, get the console version. Collapse

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]