7.2

1. Sep 2, 2014
    I mean, besides the god awful PC port, its one of the better games i've played. I came from the land of DkS2 first, so I was at some sort of an advantage. I mean, this one is a lot less linear, a lot more intimidating, and thats good. I mean, there just isn't anything to be said that hasn't been said, but I will say this
    Git this game and GitGudScrub
  2. Aug 21, 2014
    I can't believe how highly rated this game is. It's one of the worst PC Ports I've ever played. It has horrible graphics, controls, and is locked at 30 FPS. From Software did not give 2 sh!ts about this game when they ported it over to Steam to make a quick buck. They simply moved on to Dark Souls 2 and shovelwared the first. Oh, btw, it runs through GFWL. Despite being on Steam. that's always great, right?

DO NOT BUY THIS.
    -Drain (Steam)
  3. Aug 21, 2014
    Dark Souls was one hell of a game, a serious game. The graphics though slightly dated have a neat, unique touch to them that still stands out to this day. The atmosphere and setting of this game had a lot of care. This is not a typical hack n slash game where you can run in swords blazing and rip everything to shreds. This game required patience, tactical fighting, and timed blocking and healing. Another thing I liked about this game was the magnitude of exploration required and the huge rewards for doing so. Exploration is key in this game. I guess I might as well share I loved the staggering amount of armor and weapons to be found. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2014
    Dark Souls is a game you've probably heard about before do to it's loud and supportive fans; but you also hear it is an extremely difficult game, and you wonder if it is worth it - your money, is your money going to be paying for nothing but frustration? No, is the answer. While Dark Souls has a tendency to troll it's players, it is not as difficult as it is said to be. If you are patient and think, the learning curve shouldn't be too steep; if you're used to games that plunge you into combat with nothing but barefists and you easily kill 100+ enemies, you're not gonna like this game.
    PROS:
    +This game easily has the best art design I have ever seen in a video-game; if you like unique design you should pick up this game just to look at the world.
    +The game has great combat. I don't mean "being killed by a butterfly in one-hit is great combat", I mean it feels like you're in battle with consequence, and it also makes you feel powerful!
    +Great gear: all of the starting classes start with mid-game items, this sounds like it would be OP, but the game is so well balanced that even with, for example, the Knight classes mid-game level armor, you still can be killed very easily.
    +Hours upon hours, upon hours of gameplay.
    +A beautiful world built to explore! Now, the exploration bit does have a downside that I'll tackle in the cons section, but the world is filled with interesting NPCs, and bizarre creatures. The game never holds your hand or tells you what to do (which can get annoying), but it makes you feel so accomplished and independent! It can be a wonderful experience.
    +Best bosses ever. No video-game (with the exception of Shadow of the Colossus) comes close.
    CONS:
    -Terrible frame-rate, some areas are just awful with about a max of 20 FPS.
    -Blighttown, the worst area of any video-game ever. Just for this stupid area I've deducted 1.5 points from the total score, so if you want to know the score of the game if this area wasn't in it - add a point-and-a-half.
    -The open world doesn't restrict you, so you can break your save by wondering into an area way past your level and never finding your way out. An example, you desperately want to leave Blighttown - its so annoying, and then you see a tree known as the "Great Hollow", your level 30 self walks in, never to return.
    -Bed of Chaos boss-fight.
    -Some weird game design that makes absolutely no sense.
    -Horrible PC port.
    This ISN'T a pro OR a con, but it should go without saying: THIS GAME IS NOT FOR THE TIMID, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
  5. Aug 18, 2014
    one of the best games i've ever played but maybe not for everyone since there's alot of trial and error and backtracking. still it's very addictive and the atmosphere/combat are amazing.
    the PC port is the worst port i've ever seen but modded it becomes even better than the console versions.
    note: u WILL need a controller to play it or else u're gimping yourself.
  6. Aug 18, 2014
    Could be a good game, could be a bad game. I don't know, because Microsoft live, or Xbox live or whatever that bollocks is called, is so **** every time I attempt to play, I get so annoyed by the **** DRM, I have to uninstall.
  7. Aug 13, 2014
    The game might be terrific for all I know, but the PC port is so goddamn awful that I just can't play it. I spent hours trying to figure out how to get around Games For Windows Live, and when I finally got into the game, I FOUND OUT IT WAS HORRIBLE.

I am so disappointed! The framerate and resolution are crap, as well as the over all graphics. You can clearly tell that the team didn't
    put any effort into this terrible port, because the bloody hotkey icons are still looking like X360-buttons! And the mouse, OH GOD THE MOUSE. The camera keeps spinning around, and the mouse cursor is still on the screen in-game.

Don't buy this. If you have a PS3 or a Xbox 360, buy it for one of those. This port is a waste of cash. Totally unplayable.
  8. Jul 22, 2014
    Dark Souls, AKA "The Great Test of Patience", AKA "Frustration: The Video Game", is certainly one of a kind. This is not a game for everyone. Calling it "difficult" does not quite hit the mark, "challenging" is a bit better - but there really is no proper single word for it. Here's a quick test to find out if you'll like the game: Do you enjoy repeating the same little part of a game over and over, memorizing everything and finding out how to best trick the game, only to move on to the next little part and do the same, and do you not mind a game's very stylish but nonetheless crude presentation and a sense of foreboding adventure, in part due to the fact that the game totally alienates you if you do not have a third party to explain it to you? If you can say yes, then Dark Souls is for you. The game has its charm, but as already stated, it's simply too crude, so I can't recommend it (except maybe at a discount - that's how I got it, thank God). Expand
  9. Jul 11, 2014
    The game is not difficult. You can game it easily by learning to doge and evade the patterns of everything including bosses. Therefore you can kill anything easily. The only stumbles I found are the camera doesn't lock on the PC view so you end up having blocked views if you don't adjust the second axis for the camera while you move. The other is the stuns that cause loss of character control from hits or falls that delay character reactions that are much needed. These two are very gamey things that add difficulty which is easy to adjust once familiar with the game. The game is very linear. You open up new areas which are also linear. I like the concept of being undead and collecting souls and monsters and gear look cool for the most part. The multiplayer is burdensome and clunky. Try to get a friend in the game with you and you can wait up to an hour before they can join sometimes. That doesn't add to difficulty, it just is a time sink. Combat is interesting, but easy to game around with good evasion and not using target lock will help you more. Easy mode = skip to any item you want for your build by remaining low endurance to dodge and weave your way through anywhere in the world. Farm exp / souls by running high value monters/npcs off cliffs. Way too gamey imo. Expand
  10. Jul 5, 2014
    Worthless piece of garbage port. DO NOT BUY FOR PC AT ANY COST. Steam has been trying to pawn this thing off at rock bottom prices because it's an absolute piece of garbage. They couldn't even be bothered to translate the controls in the game from press A, B, and X to Right/left mouse etc. The camera is horribly awkward, the controls are a disaster, and the graphics are terrible compared to other games of the time. You've been warned. Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2014
    Best game of its generation, if you like games where you actually have to think about what you're doing . Best combat system ever. Hard to learn, but really rewarding.
  12. Jul 1, 2014
    Everything abut the game is amazing, except the port, but that is easy enough to fix with DSfix. A complex and epic fantasy story, a well done combat system that will leave you craving more, and plenty of mods to make the game run and look amazing.
  13. Jun 23, 2014
    This is hands down probably one of the worst rpgs I have ever played, any money spent on this game is a waste. The game is such a let down that the programmers should feel a sense of shame just for bringing this load of crap into the word
  14. Jun 19, 2014
    Yes, you get killed a lot. But though I'm easily frustrated, in this game that doesn't stop me from coming back. You have 10 slots and classes play remarkably different, weapons feel different too. But what noone mentioned this game has certainly the best level design I ever experienced. So I really recommend it. And if you play use a game controller. As a PC player I always avoided them. But it is the your natural weapon of choice in this game and amazingly...it works! Expand
  15. Jun 12, 2014
    an awful pc port.. but this is to be expected communing from the developer who has never done a PC port . but regarding the game its pretty good. the one thing i love about a dark souls game is its difficulty. this could be by far one of the best RPGs ever made if they made provided if the port was decent..
  16. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1/10 - I didn't die.
  17. May 30, 2014
    When I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran is worth mentioning in particular, because it is Dark Soul's main character. I never imagined a level designer could communicate so much through architecture and geography as was done through Lordran. Expand
  18. May 30, 2014
    Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

This game is the most original and inspirational action RPG I've ever played. I love it. It gives you everything. But can be daunting for people new to the game. Please stick with it - it is rewarding and fun. Use the Wikis for it if you get stuck - there are three very good ones. But most importantly don't let yourself be put off by
    frustration, especially that born of the PvP and being invaded early in the game.

Cheating by PvP'ers who invade is a toxic problem, (And this isn't people who twink gear down to lower levels which although it is insurmountable for new players [and is thus in and of itself frustrating] it isn't actually cheating). The problem is that people can fix their game so they have high resists, high health, high damage, and more. . . http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cheating-more-than-death-in-dark-souls.

The game is great - but if you are just getting into it - just be mindful of the state of Cheat Engine usage - and disable (with firewall rules) GFWL till you get more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics. The sure fire method of enjoying the game is to simply Alt F4 when you are told you are being invaded, (read the Wiki to know when NPCs are invading as you will want to fight them). Then once you are backing up your save games, (called save scumming), and are comfortable with the game, then give PvP a try if you are invaded - But expect to encounter someone who has a frozen health bar, or unlimited stamina, or a weapon that reduces your stats to 25% and teleports you to Anor Londo, (see the article), or some other impossible ability - And expect them every third person who invades.
  19. May 26, 2014
    At first i was told "you won't like it, it's freaking hard" and i have a bad temper so i stayed
    away from this game then i was like "hell, why not" then i was like "How dare you keep me from this masterpiece!" lol with that said...

This game is everything i wanted in a sword and sorcery adventure game, I like that it doesn't have a set path to follow and bringing back true difficulty
    in gaming that i have not seen sense 1985 /1992 games.
    The graphics are not Directx11 but it still looks very amazing, they did well considering it's a port.
    Game play is solid, after a couple of hours you have it all down so no worries, from speed dodging techniques to tanking it up and going toe to toe you have a lot of choices here.
  20. May 26, 2014
    PC Review: Out of box, this was a piece of trash. The game runs at 1024x768 natively no matter what resolution you select in the options... thats right. It runs at the same resolution as Diablo 2 and old 90s games... I got the latest patch and it fixed the resolution problem so I can play at 1080p. The graphics... are horrendous. Was this really on the PS3? Wow.

OK no problem about the
    graphics since I am not a big graphics guy anyway. Lets go into the game and play. The game is an action/rpg. The story is bland. You start off as an undead and you start working your way out of some sort of prison on an island or something. The 1st thing you fight is a boss who will kill you a few times when you first start playing. Why you might ask? Well, because the controls are even worse than the graphics.

1st glaring problem is responsiveness. The game is designed to react slowly... why anyone would enjoy a twitch action game with slow response is beyond my understanding but lets continue. You click a button and the character doesnt actually move right away but rather you have to wait about 1/4 second before he does. This takes time to get used to and results in getting hit a lot initially until you get the timing. Its frustrating at first because if the controls were instant then the 1st enemy would actually be very easy to dodge and attack but whatever. They wanted us to play like we are in a 2 ton tank. Ok fine. Next problem.

Camera... Oh my god... how on earth can you make a game with this type of camera in this day and age. The camera is exactly like the horrible camera in Devil May Cry 1 on the PS2. It is so so bad that I refused to buy any more DMC games after finishing the 1st because my memories of that game are only of frustration. Like DMC, the camera in this game will eventually get you killed not because an enemy is hard, but because your view gets blocked by obstacles or the enemy itself. This is unforgivable in a modern game. Yes you can still finish the game, but it is not fun.

OK so with the problems above, I decided to switch to my Xbox controller so that I can control the movement speeds a bit better (its analog which cannot really be duplicated easily on keyboard) and to see if I can control the camera better with the 2nd stick. The game played better with the controller but the problem with the camera persisted because sudden motions and dodges can often get you out of alignment and make you vulnerable without being able to see the enemy.

The game itself is ok. It basically plays like Zelda or similar action RPG's but with a horrible camera. I do like that it is more rpg heavy than Zelda but the slow responsiveness and camera really makes it lose a lot in gameplay. After about 2 hours of play, I realized that the game is going to revolve around memorization of enemy movement and I decided to uninstall and return the game for a refund. Sorry but memorization of enemies is not how an RPG should be. RPG are supposed to be strategic where the player can overcome with good preparation and tactics. This game is less about that than it is about trial and error. This is not what I enjoy about RPG's. If I wanted that type of game I would have purchased an adventure game not an action twitch shooter or an RPG.

I wouldnt say the game is horrible but lets be real. Graphics look a step above PS2 (not PS3 era). Controls on PC are not fully realized due to analog mechanics and camera movement. Even with a controller the camera is horrible. Its an action game with purpose input delay... Thanks but no thanks.
  21. May 24, 2014
    I reviewed this poorly before but after seeing footage for Dark Souls 2, i decided to give this another try. If you press beyond the PC port issues there is some rewarding content later on. As long as you go the right way and have a walkthrough open most of the time.
  22. May 23, 2014
    Created an account just tell you how horrible this game is. I love challenging games, but that's not why this game sucks. The absolute worst port I have ever played. Seems like the developers just wanted more money and put this game on PC with console settings. They highly recommend playing this game on a xbox controller which to me seems pretty ****** stupid. If i wanted to play this game with xbox controller. Ill buy it for xbox. Horrible company and i will not be buying any other games from them. I wish they actually spent time creating a real port because i really wanted to try this game. ESPECIALLY on a laptop with a limited keyboard, do not buy. For someone who works 10- 12 hours a day like me, i just dont have the time to really sit and grind on this game trying to get past one enemy with controls that dont work. You have been warned; buy at your own risk. Shame on this company for being greedy. Expand
  23. May 23, 2014
    Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty.
  24. May 17, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Average User Score: 7.2 May 8, 2014 8 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ImageI'll be honest with you. This is game is actually one of the best of this generation and offers so many unique aspect lost on modern games. That feeling you get for just achieving something so simple is amazing, lost on so many recent titles. Sadly a would be perfect experience is ruined by a sloppy port. Expand
  25. May 13, 2014
    Great game, too bad the controls are unplayable. I can't count how many times I used up a valuable potion or exited my inventory because I pressed the wrong key. I didn't got far, not because of the dificulty, but due to the awful control port.
  26. May 12, 2014
    This game doesn't works properly. Crash on start screen. I bought it on Steam. I've played with Windows 8. But Windows 8.1, crashes, crashes and more crashes. Tried several workaraounds but no sucess.
  27. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, let me point out a simple question, so that you might get an easier picture of what I'm up to. What exactly is the purpose of a game? Or spoken differently, why do humans play? There's probably tons of information on how to define what a game is, but I'll keep it simple due to character limit. Games are a form of activity done to amuse and/or relax to most times fulfill the simple pleasure of exercising them. Or expressed even more simple...Games are fun!

So now let me list what exactly I've experienced when I first started up the game and played through the first 15 minutes: Graphical glitches and issues around almost every corner. Locked 30 FPS and 1024x768 resolution, I can't even remember when I last played a game with such low FPS and resolution. Somewhere around the mid 90's I assume, it almost felt like a dia show. I've got 3 crashes to desktop in less then 10 minutes. I've first tried to play with keyboard and mouse, which you might already have figured by other reviews, wasn't such a good idea, but unfortunately using my gamepad was neither.

I wasn't capable of redefining keys like I wanted to, which is essential if you're left handed or play with arrow keys. The mouse acted wonky, unsmooth and sometimes completely crazy and there was absolutely nothing I could do to change it, as there where no mouse options. Hello?! No mouse option on a PC game? It doesn't matter if this is a console port, there HAS to be mouse options. And even IF I had the option to change keys/mouse, there still was this unswitchable stupid cursor flying over my monitor. The gamepad wasn't the holy grail everybody proclaimed. Buttons where reversed, the right stick (controlling the camera) had only one axis and the controls where lagging just as much as the mouse, plus it was extremely unprecisse and ~50% of hits where missed.

Regardless of that experience I've installed the DSFIX, the DSMFIX and numerous texture improving mods. It's the first thing I always do when having a new game to look out for Mods. In 90% of all cases I do this to enhance what is already good, but for DS it's different. You'll need to search for those mods and fixes in order to even be capable of playing it. In no way it's possible to play this game without fixes and mods.

So, after that 8 hour journey I finally got the game in an acceptable state. I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, which feels much more precise and right. I'm on my monitors maximum resolution 1680x1050. I have extremely vibrant textures, bloom, AA and all the modern graphical gimmicks possible for this game. There's still one thing that itches me though. I have to use different keys for menu navigation if I don't use a controller. Did not found a patch or fix that'd allow me to use arrow keys for controlling my charcter AND controlling the menu. But whatever, I've gone so far to ignore all flaws, as the game finally rewarded me superbly with fun and entertainment...or should I say positively rewarded me until I figured what this game really was about?!

It happened then after the tutorial forcing me to have a deeper look into the reviews not only around here, but on a various of websites and online game magazines. I should have noticed it early on when fighting this fat demonic Jabba. I'd died 4 times before finally killing it, and ONLY due to a happy coincidence that made fat leged Jabba glitching inside one of the pillars. I've read myself through a miriad of reviews and forum discussions about the difficulty of the game, quickly figuring that there's two sides...the hardcore devoted fanboys, and those, like me, that just like to play a game to have fun, relax and getting some easy entertainment. Easy is the keyword, as the forum discussions almost made me feel like a sinner wanting just to enjoy the game and thus not wasting any time with something that creates frustration and forces me to die 1.000 times in a row.

With increasing life expereince and age, the urge to prove something has been taken away from me. And even if I'd need to prove something, why would I prove it inside my lonesome gaming cellar where nobody's capable of witnessing? Apart from that, I'm practicing the art of Buhurt and as such would eat everyone inside this game and its players alive, plus I'm 6"2 and have a corresponding penis size.

So here I am now, having a real jewel of a game not being capable of enjoying due to technical flaws and a sadomasochistic difficulty level, that must expel any ordinary gamer who's just playing games for fun. What's a challenge if the only challenge is to constantly die and repetetively play the same scene over and over again? Learning by dying anyone? So in all respect, I have to give this game three different scores. First score barebone game without mods/fixes, second score game with mods and fixes, third score is the final verdict after figuring the most annoying difficulty level which absolutely destroys everything go0d about this game.

1: 4
    2: 8.5
    3: 2.5
  28. May 3, 2014
    This game, just like the first, is broken. They pretend it's 'hard' but it's just an excuse for a lack of testing and play balance. The save points are sparse and the game play is tedious. Tbh I could forgive most of this if the graphics were at least decent but jeebuz they are terrible. Unless you are a cutter I would avoid this like the plague.
  29. Apr 26, 2014
    To be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, the controls are good (BUT only if you use a gamepad). The game is pretty hard, everyone knows that, but it is not impossible, you just need to have some skills in it, if you learn on your mistakes - you will be victorious in Dark Souls. Well, there are some minor details I didn't like - for example - you can kill or be killed hitting through a wall. But overall, the game is great, I understand all the hype and praise it gets. The sloppy port was greatly fixed, so the gamers rank here is way too low. Expand
  30. Apr 26, 2014
    Although a semi-decent console port on PC, the stellar game design still pulls it through. Probably got away with it for being a small cult game initially. One of my all-time favourite.
  31. Apr 26, 2014
    Back in the day i didnt write a review for this game because it would be another 0, so I just thought "let it be, its not worth the rant, the game is unplayable and takes the bad pc porting to a whole new level, people will struggle to play it and the result will be all the same, low score for the controls high score for the gameplay, no need to punish it", but something happened that made me notice that it had to be punished: The sequel came out. When I bought the first one (this game) It was the worst pc port I had EVER played (and thats saying something): Locked internal resolution (1024 x 720) and FPS (30fps), bad performance, CTDs, unskippable cutscenes and logos (which rapidly becomes a problem if your game crashes often and takes one full minute to restart only for it to crash again), and for the love of god! no keyboard and mouse functionality, as in the mouse didnt even had a chance in this game, and rebindible keys? be lucky with them, on top of some input lag that set the foundation to a horrible experience. But then, hours after my purchase one man, ONE TRULY DEVOTED MAN fixed a lot of the issues releasing a quickfix that let you set internal resolution, fps unlock, skip the cutscenes and logos, and somehow made the flickering graphics and CTDs I was experiencing go away. Then another man joined him and made a fix for the mouse making it fully playable with just minor inconveniences (negative mouse acceleration was still there). And It was hen that I started to have a damn good time. The game itself was good and nostalgic. It was like one of those unforgiving dungeon RPGs from my childhood, but with nice graphics (thanks to the savior who made the fix) and great inmersion. The game ended up being really enjoyable for me, so I bought the second one yesterday thinking that the huge backlash would have been enough for them not to make the same mistakes... Well, not the same mistakes were made, some of the issues were fixed, but it came with a whole new mix of old problems and new problems that make the game again a bad, uncomfortable experience, almost unplayable. That made me realize that thjis scores even if pointless, those "Its unplayable have a nice 0" people (and me) have been giving are completely necessary so these thing wont become a cycle. I'm getting a refund on DS2, and I will state that though I had a great time with this game, it was only thanks to the fans, who made the game possible, since the company sold an unplayable piece of garbage. Thats why I'm giving this game what it deserved in the first place. Expand
  32. Apr 24, 2014
    Dark Souls is an unique gaming experience, and I'm glad I give it a second chance.
    I started playing it at release in 2012 but fast getting frustrated and bored after about 20 hours.
    With Dark Souls 2 close to release I decided to give it another try and what can I say? I love it now !
    This time I was mutch more careful, I prepared myself for every encounter and take my time when I
    arrived at a new area.
    In consequence of that I died a lot less what led to less frustration and less repetition.
    I think the main problem for a lot of gamer nowadays is that we not longer used to this kind of slow paced gameplay. Your decisions have always impact in the world of Dark Souls. The atmosphere and the level / enemy design is great, combat is challenging and the voice acting is out of this world.
    Would give probably a 9 but the terrible frame-rate issues cost DS a point (even with mods).
  33. Apr 24, 2014
    Dear God the port is awful but you know what? If you have a game-pad the horrible port can be set aside as it works just as well as it would on a console (with a few minor issues). Regardless of the terrible port this game is a stunningly beautiful, dark and deeply enticing masterpiece that is a must buy for any RPG fan!
  34. Apr 20, 2014
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    The modded version of this game is an adult RPG masterpiece. This game is the ultimate thinking mans rpg. The game has a great look and feel to it. The combat is tough and best used with a gamepad. The sound and the voice acting are really unique. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for its bizarre and tough to follow story. Don't
    be scared off by the toughness of this game. Follow the path of least resistance and you'll be fine. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2014
    A lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, and I actually prefer it over a controller. If you don't believe me, look up "Dark Souls Mouse Fix". It makes the camera control with the mouse super smooth. In fact, in my personal experience keyboard+mouse controls are more precise that those of controllers.

As far as the game itself, there is not much to say asides from it being a complete masterpiece. Fun and addictive combat. Mysterious, dark atmosphere, cool environments. And an intriguing storyline, the presentation of which is very, very unique. The game is very challenging, and yeah, some aspects of it can be quite difficult, especially if you're new to the game.

In short, an amazing, epic journey that you will not easily forget. Getting used to the somewhat untraditional keyboard controls is IMO a small sacrifice for the privilege of experiencing this masterpiece.
  36. Apr 17, 2014
    The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.

Overall a fantastic game. Definitely worth getting on the PC.
  37. Apr 16, 2014
    The technical issues aside a "survival action RPG" sounds awesome? So it is a pity it could not been executed better. The combat is clunky and glitchy plus player death resets the levels. So a lot of potential rinse and repeat scenarios. This game is a seriously bad time waster. If I want my survival, action or RPG fix I will go elsewhere. If you enjoy peeing in the wind then this game maybe be alright for you... Expand
  38. Apr 12, 2014
    i worried before playing this game
    coz of i heard Dark Souls is so Difficult Game..
    and i played and felt
    yeah its so difficult so Hard~
    but Amazing Funny!
  39. Apr 5, 2014
    Is there a worst console port? The keys you are asked to press only suit the xbox controller and you spend half an hour derping over the keyboard trying to learn how to equip a thing. The graphics look bad and there are only FOUR options in the video optimization tab(two of which are the resolution and fullscreen on/off). What a way to treat PC fans.
  40. Apr 1, 2014
    It's a horrible port and a game specifically made for the restrictions of a console. That being said, in hindsight it was worth all the headaches. It took me a few hours to get this game working properly on a PC with an azerty keyboard. After all that, the controls were still subpar and every gameplay tip was displayed with the controller keys in mind. I still wanted to experience this game because of all the good things I heard about it.

After playing it for a few days, I can safely say that not just the port but also the difficulty of the entire game is vastly overrated. A lot of the difficulty comes down to quirks and limitations of the game mechanics and controls. Weapons hitting walls but no option to stab instead of swing, extremely bad hitboxes especially in some Boss battles, horrible camera angles and so on. Worst of all was the horrific targeting system. No self respecting PC gamer should be forced to use something as dumb and simplifying as an auto targeting system. If I played careful and focused, I rarely died more than once to a Boss mechanic or even a certain area. Atleast for me, a lot of the difficulty was artificial and it all came down to game and console limitations. I would have prefered if they would have added save points right before Boss battles, it's not a challenge to walk back to a Boss everytime you died, it's a waste of time. I have played RPG's that were, with the right difficulty settings, just as hard as this game but didn't have these annoying limitations.

All these annoying quirks aside, the game is actually pretty solid. Engaging combat mechanics (despite the hitboxes on Bosses), great atmosphere, a very mysterious and hostile environment and some fun RPG elements. If you can ignore all those annoying things and persist till you can atleast manage the crappy controls, it's an addictive game. It can indeed be a frustrating experience, especially with the controls, but it wasn't the (partially artificial) difficulty that stood out to me. It was the engaging world, fun combat and the appeal of slow but steady progress.
  41. Mar 30, 2014
    I actually admire a game that challenges its players but Dark Souls goes too far. It often feels like you are not fighting the characters in the game but the game itself. The Controls are sloppy, even on a 360 controller, and many times you wind up doing something you didn't want to do. Beware of any form of combat on a precarious position, for you may end up performing an attack on accident that will cause you to fall to your death (this happens A LOT). There is no guidance in the game, so besides hacking bad guy after bad guy, I have no idea what I am doing. All enemies (except bosses) re spawn whenever you rest at a bonfire, removing any satisfaction from killing them. The comment system with which other players can leave warnings/adivce in your world is either useless or hurtful because they are so limited that you have no idea what they are talking about until after you have encountered the enemy ( some jerks put a "try jumping" hint near a cliff just to make you fall). Upon death, your re spawn at your bonfire, meaning that you lose all your souls AND enemies re spawn too, which could lead to an infinite loop of death...besides all this, it is still a fun game, just frustrating and difficult. The difficulty wouldn't be so bad if you could fight it, but since half of the problem is with the game itself you cant. Expand
  42. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  43. Mar 25, 2014
    Really Excellent game.... Something that provides a challenge for a person. it also teaches a person patience and that is key for completing the game.
  44. Mar 24, 2014
    Prepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupid nostril hairs. Expand
  45. Mar 21, 2014
    First game I ever give a 10/10 to so far on metacritic! This game triumphs in so many areas:

1. RPG... you do feel like you are playing a character and NPC reponses to you are so varied and customized to your situation that you really feel like you are talking to real people! Even though you never spoke in the game, how the NPCs react to you truly feels like you are having a
    conversation without the need for any conversation choices!

2. Graphics... dark and gloomy design along with the music to bring out the mood of despair and desperation... the occassional appearance of other online player's spook truly made the world feel real and alive with horror. This is the first time I feel so engrossed in a game world... the feeling of this world is the complete opposite to the feeling of Divinity series.

3. Combat... lumberous and frustrating at first but once you get used to it, its extremely realistic to real life combat. I find myself respecting and actually circling for opportunities to attack a simple zombie when I would have graciously rushed hordes of them in other games. The enemies are not generic models that does basically the same things. Every enemy and their variations have their unique combat characteristics and sometimes throw moves that will surprise you!

4. Replayability... yes, this is one game that makes you replay a certain area tens or even hundreds of times by dying and resurrecting at a bon fire. This may feel frustrating at first but the fact that everytime you go back to the bon fire, you are actually getting better and stronger makes it very satisfying.

All in all, I am surprised by how awesome this game is and I wonder why I hadn't played it before even though I bought it at a discount a long time ago! MUST TRY!
  46. Mar 17, 2014
    My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me, I loved everything about it. :) Expand
  47. Mar 16, 2014
    Sword and Enemys...perfect mixture. Alike Witcher, Dark Souls is a solid game. A few weeks ago got DS (75% off). Before playing i got always a: Too hard...well really is that hard on begin...but at sometime u will learn that a good pair sword and shield will not influence that much on game.

Most impórtant is strategy after learning enemies is their modus operandi. After it u can enjoy
    DS. At very beggining it will die until learn that. So a tip id give...learn then after it kill Expand
  48. TSB
    Mar 12, 2014
    Good game in general .
    THE GOOD : Great gameplay- very good boss fight - challenging game - world design is nice .
    THE BAD : bad port you will need DSfix to get better res and texture - the story telling is not good - almost no sound track .
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    You're going to die, you're going to want to throw things across the room and that's the point of buying this game. I love challenge, but I love challenge that comes from the game itself.

The poor porting to the PC version leaves much to be desired. Controls are non-intuitive and difficult to understand. I got it on sale over Steam so it was a great deal for the playtime that I got
    out of it, I just wish I wasn't fighting the controls and interface as much as the impossible monsters and bosses in the game. Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    I had lots of fun with Dark Souls but I also got very frustrated at times. It has everything a good RPG should have. It also has some annoying repetition and grinding.

The world is fun to explore, the enemies and environments interesting and varied enough to encourage you to go on just to see what's next. The world is progressively unlocked just by building your character until they
    can triumph where once they had been beaten to a pulp. I found it very satisfying to beat an area which had been much to hard for me a day ago.

There's always something on the horizon goading you on - a boss you couldn't kill, a weapon you can't quite use properly, an item you can see off in the distance but can't reach. This all works very nicely to keep you playing without getting bored.

Some more good points: there are no endless conversation trees, there's actually very little dialogue at all; enemies don't speak, so no repeated one liners; the difficulty curve keeps you challenged but not stuck (generally).

BUT, and this is a big stinky but(t), I didn't like having to trek back through the same area with the same enemies every sodding time a boss killed me. I'd often spend longer getting to a boss than actually fighting it. This game could benefit immeasurably from a simple "Restart Boss?" button. This isn't a gripe at the difficulty, I like that the bosses are big and tough and can crush you with their pinky finger, because then I feel I've earned their XP etc. when I finally beat them. I just don't see why I need to fight the same small enemies ad nauseam just to get another round. "OK," I said "time to go grind some levels."

I don't like grinding: a game should be fun, not work, and I don't buy into the thinking that if you haven't spent long enough murdering the same helpless group of enemies then you don't deserve to see the rest of the game you paid good money for. In this game you'll have to grind for XP and materials to improve weapons and armour. All that stuff should stay in the realms of MMORPGs where I don't have to go anywhere near it.

These points fit with the lore but the lore shouldn't detract from game play - that's just pretentious and poor design.

Overall a very good RPG which suffers from two very prominent annoyances.
  51. Mar 11, 2014
    A genuinely amazing game. From the incredibly lonely and crushing atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack that ranges from subtle to bombastic, to the satisfying combat and fantastic sense of accomplishment that the game offers - Dark Souls has it all. This is perhaps the most important game of the 7th generation of consoles.
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game in existence i have no idea what kind of complete moron reviews this game and finds it "enjoyable" it is a game that aims to anger and does so again and again, if you are some kind of masochistic then this is the game for you, otherwise ignore what your friends say, ignore the reviews the only explanation i can possibly think for this horrendous game to get such great reviews is that this is some kind of sick internet joke. Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2014
    I really can't understand why this game is so acclaimed. Graphics are crap (looks like PS2), controls & gameplay are really bad, pc port is the worst ever. I'm trying to say something good about this game but I can't find it. The high difficulty is the "big point" of the game is not something that makes me wonder. So avoid it as fast as you can, don't give it a chance like I did. Wait for DS2 to be something at least playable. Expand
  54. Mar 4, 2014
    Probably the best game I've played in my Xbox 360, and it's now in PC.

The port has some problems but you have to understand first where did it come from. This game wasn't meant to be never in a PC, but fans loved it so much that they started a collection of signatures just to have it on PC. So From Software heard the people and took the step. Even so, the "technical problems" are so
    small compared with the greatness of this game, that you should be ignoring them soon when you feel inmersed in Lordran. But yes, you better use a X360 or PS3 controller like.

This game needs some learning, it's full of mysteries, has infinite possibilities for your character, every weapon has a unique design and move set, and when you combine that with all the spells, armors and other items... well, then you are hooked forever. Because this game is already thrilling, challenging, has one of the very bests scene design I ever seen and it's full of art design and dark stories the first time you play it. But after that, and when you start to fully understand the whole game mechanics, you want more and more. It's a game that you can complete 3, 4... 7 times and you will eventually come back for more. It has an unique multiplayer system and if you enjoy the solo game, you will find that the emotion of being invaded by players, or hunting others in their worlds as a dark spectre adds a lot to the already exciting game wich is Dark Souls.

I won't say that this is a very difficult game and it's only meant for some players, because that is not true. The game is fair, the game needs some learning process, and once you go through it (and when you are going through it) you enjoy the game more and more. This game just has a bit of "old school" philosophy, and I'm pretty sure that I could name an infinite number of much more difficult and cruel games... it's just that it would be much more easier to pick those games from the early 00s, 90s or 80s maybe. We got used to be guided, and if we are not we can even get frustrated.

Personally. I love this game so much and I hate it somehow. I love it because of all its greatness. And I hate it because after this game I just compare any other game I play with Dark Souls. And that makes me go back to play it.
  55. Mar 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark Souls is a really interesting game but one hell of a difficult one.
    Sadly this difficulty doesn't always come from the tactics-based bosses and areas but more from the bad camera angles,framerates and collision boxes.

Focusing an enemy will sometimes cause the camera to go full potato and twist around like crazy; pointing to the sky, the ground or to some enemy who is way too far away to be an actual threat.
    Sometimes one enemy will be able to lock you against a wall and make you unable to move or dodge attacks which gets really annoying if you fight a group of foes. There are some enemies (especially the mosquitos in Blighttown) who may get damage from attacks missing them but will completely ignore attacks that go right through them.
    Additionally this game is really poorly ported to the PC. The standard controls make almost no sense and it takes very long to find working keybindings. The mouse cursor will always be visible if you don't install a mod which hides him (like DSfix).
    The framerate in many areas (mainly Blighttown, Sen's Fortress and the Kiln Of The First Flame) is terrible on older PCs like mine (~15 FPS), while in other areas I got framerates of around 100 FPS without any problem.

Overall Dark Souls is an excellent game but the PC version is haunted by way too many problems to be actually enjoyable throughout the entire game.
  56. Feb 28, 2014
    Do not listen to those ignorant saying it's a bad port... all you need is a patch you can easily copy/paste in your files. Repairs everything that needs to be repaired.

This game is just pure absolute amazingness ... Don't take my word on it. read the reviews.
  57. Feb 26, 2014
    A: You MUST have a console controller to play this game in a way that is fun.

That out of the way, Dark Souls really does deserve the love it gets. Harsh but very enjoyable, it hearkens back to when Video games demanded that you BEAT them, not just went along for a ride with a pat on the head and unlimited everything.

Hoping the Dark Souls 2 port to PC is a bit cleaner.
  58. Feb 26, 2014
    Not as challenging as some make it out to be, but more so than most other modern games. With a mod and a controller this is a truly gripping, immersive game with alot of re playability.
  59. Feb 8, 2014
    Maybe the port is kinda bad, but hey, it's first game from these japanese developers on PC, they really tried to do it well. And the game will get Steamworks, so bye-bye GFWL. Also remember to install dsfix mod by Durante for the best experience.
  60. Feb 7, 2014
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've experienced no technical problems, no crashes (despite frequently tabbing out), 1680/1050.
    I find this game perfectly fine to play with keyboard+mouse, though it takes a little getting used to at first.
    I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player
    will have to stumble through the world essentially following the developer's intended path and rate of progression, overcoming increasing obsticles while they become stronger and more experienced.
    Whereas familiar players can (deliberately) skip swaths of areas and obtain powerful items very early if they wish.
    in addition, experienced (or researched) players can also take advantage of the crafting system and multiple new-game+ modes.
    Despite being told the contrary, I have not found this to be a difficult game, it is instead a very punishing game. If you play recklessly and make a mistake, you will be punished for it, but if you play smart, you can easily defeat anything this game puts in your path.
    The best comparison I have experienced is WoW Heroic raiding where there is very little room for error and a single mistake can cause your death (and often wipe the raid).
    Some people mention the old-school Shinobi in reference to difficulty, which doesn't really do Dark Souls justice, as where old games required lightning reflexes to overcome, the deliberate unbreakable animation system in dark souls (which some refer to as unresponsive and clunky) allows for more leniency in response times,
    ie. if you dodge or block, the enemy will be stuck in that animation for the duration, during which you can safely strike back (and the same applies when you fail an attack)
    because of this, the game is not restricted to 'twitch' players, which in turn makes it perhaps one of the more 'open' games, though not quite 'turn-based'.
    A healthy grandmother/father would likely have no more trouble at playing this game than anyone else.
    I've heard this game was buggy upon launch, all I can say to that is get the fan patch which will make it perfectly fine.
    At this point I can think of no reason not at least try playing Dark Souls.
  61. Feb 5, 2014
    An excellent "sequel" to From Softwares "Demon's Souls", Dark Souls is an unforgiving, open world romp through a dark fantasy world. You play as a Dark Sign cursed Undead, doomed to die and come back until eventually you go mad from it. However you are captured and put into the Undead Asylum, where the Undead wait for the end of the world. You however, with some help manage to get out and start out on a quest to discover the true destiny of the Dark Signed cursed Undead. At the beginning you'll be asked to make a character from one of many starting classes, but don't think you'll be regimented to playing a certain way the entire game. The upgrade system is open and allows you(through increasingly steep costs) to upgrade your abilities in any way you see fit. And as you should, for if you die(and you will) to one of the many horrors or pitfalls that litter the land of Lordan, you will lose of the precious 'Souls' needed to upgrade your stats and purchase services from the few sane Undead that remain there. Die a second time on the way to 'Reclaim your power' and those Souls are gone forever.

The game offers a large challenge in that enemies are fairly aggressive and will chase you for quite some time, along with many of them using group tactics to overwhelm your defenses or just being so much stronger than you that a head-on fight is tantamount to suicide. No, Dark Souls punishes those that treat this like a "hack and slash" game like so many 'action-rpgs' that have come before it. You must consider everything going forward in the world of Dark Souls and every enemy has it's own strengths and weaknesses that you can exploit and look out for.

Graphically, the game is fairly impressive looking but isn't stellar by any means. However, the art design, along with the weapon, equipment and monster designs are both familiar and alien at the same time. The first dragon you see is nothing like the standard fire-breathing red lizard with wings that is so popular in fiction. However, something like that shows up fairly early and it's not even a boss. The game is dark and I mean that both figuratively and literally. Many areas are so black that you'll need a spell or special item to see more than a foot in front of you and you'll want these to keep you from stumbling into enemies lying in wait. Or pitfalls just begging for someone to step over them into the gaping void.

The game features a unique multiplayer aspect in the form of 'Invasions', 'Summons' and 'Covenants'. 'Invasions' are just as they sound, another player(with the help of certain items) can invade your game to try and kill you for both Souls and even more precious Humanity(another commodity you need to continue on). However there are balances to keep someone from being constantly invaded by players much further along(usually, I will get back to this). 'Summons' can happen one of two ways, the player can lay down a 'Summon Sign' to offer their services to another player online to defeat a local area boss or if the player is 'Human' instead of 'Hollow' they can summon other players to help them with a local area boss. Finally, 'Covenants' have their own set of rules that influence 'Summons' and 'Invasions'. Some allow you to 'infect' other worlds(players games) with powerful enemies but at the cost of opening the infector to 'Invasion' by up to three people at a time. Another offers numerous chances to 'Invade' other characters if they tarry in a specific area of the game, however there is no upper limit to whom they may invade so the invaders may find they bite off more than they can chew at times. Another 'Covenant' allows you to invade frequent invaders and punish them(i.e. kill them) for their 'Sins'.

Onto combat and controls, the game offers a wealth of weapons and armor that all affect how you fight. Do you prefer dodging around your foe and harrying them with quick attacks then backing off before they can even face you? Or cladding yourself in the heaviest armor you have and wading into melee with a massive two-handed sword, letting your ability to shrug off lesser blows carry you while you cleave them in twain? Or something in-between? They're all possible and the game rewards experimentation.

As for negatives, the game on PC as of late has had a flux of cheaters as of this review. People who use certain programs to reduce their Soul Level(your overall power rating, numbering from 1 to over 700) low enough that it allows them to invade anyone, even new players while using things like infinite health or weapons/equipment far more powerful than the first time player is even capable of getting. However they can be avoided by staying Hollow, but this can cut off certain scenarios that allow you to see more scenes or get different items. Another sour note is that even though the game was ported to PC, there are still areas that suffer massive framerate drop but that is more of the engines fault.
  62. Feb 1, 2014
    First off, it must be said that the fixes found on Dark Souls Nexus are a Must. You are able to up the frame rate, add on better textures, and it fixes frame drops. Now, it is a very, very hard game, but if you have the patience or are willing to develop some patience, this game is very rewarding. BEST game I have ever played, sooo good.
  63. Jan 24, 2014
    Played the PS3 version of this game, and I wasn't a fan of the game. the graphics weren't the best. Bad textures, bad animations. I assumed it was because of the PS3 hardware. So, the PC version comes along and Im a sucker and I buy the game expecting it to be an improvement over the PS3. This is NOT the case!! It is EXACTLY the same game but just ported to the PC! the textures are just as bad! im running the game at 1920 x 1080 and it looks like a PS2 game!! Avoid this game!! DO NOT BUY! Expand
  64. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is impossible to play in PC without a gamepad. Really bad port from consoles, stay away. To make thing worse, if you have dual monitor setup, be prepared to have your mouse going out of the screen.
  65. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is beauty.
    The port isn't great, it isn't playable with mouse and keyboard, but this game is the reason why I bought a 360 controller for my pc, and I can say it's worth it.

Game is hard and punishing, but has a really customizable gameplay: there are several fighting styles, you may farm souls to level up early or just stay at level 1 the whole game, and the game is open
    world.

Buy this game if you miss the good old days, where games weren't pay2win or designed for people who don't want to think, just win.
  66. Jan 15, 2014
    The worst port of a video game I've ever seen. There might be a decent game under there but, after spending 3 hours trying to fix things using user-created mods, I'm giving up. There is simply no excuse for this nearly unplayable mess.

The controls are terrible and there was absolutely no effort made to adapt them to PC. The tooltips it shows are for the 360 version (it keeps telling
    me to pull the RT to attack). The actual on-screen play area is locked to a tiny area in the upper-left corner of my screen. Low FPS. Graphical stuttering.

Save your money.
  67. Jan 13, 2014
    Yes, this game is one of the most horrible ports I've seen in a while. They still even had the Xbox controller icons in the game. The people who are complaining about the controls are not very skilled, just an excuse to compensate for their poor performance. (These people are those idiots that buy an Alienware machine and can't clean it) Yes, at first, the controls for the mouse/keyboard are just horrid. I had to reconfigure them to make it less awkward than it already is. As an avid PC gamer, you must learn to adapt; that's what I have done: On NG 3+ and have already beaten the DLC as well as Ornstein and Smough. I played on an old 5+ year old machine, Dell inspiron 530 stock with a GT210 (512mb), (constant 20- fps) no one can complain. Other than that, it's a very solid and unique game on its own. The game is more action focused than Role Playing, in which the combat delivers very well.

Gameplay will feel very strange at first, for all the people who don't have a PS3 and have played Demon Souls probably won't have many problems. The game has a learning curve, a big one, but with a bit of bravery and practice, you will surpass that and be killing enemies and bosses with ease. When you first play the game, it is an experience you will never forget, you will push yourself to the brink of frustration. Exploration is very fun and risky but that's what makes it fun. You're taking a huge risk of dying, enemy encounters only make exploring more exciting. Landing blows are very satisfying. You feel like you're doing damage (most of the time). There are minor RPG statistical elements and pseudo-realistic elements as well: such as armor weight and armor protection, both are numbers that have an effect on you. Same with everything else in game. Leveling system is quite nice, if you have enough souls (which you collect from killing enemies or looting), you get to distribute one point into a variety of different skills to suit your play style. You can make your typical builds like any other fantasy RPG, but they are optional, you can build your character however you want. Which can lead to a terrible character if you do not properly distribute points and go for a good build. Boss battles are unique, and can be taken down in all ways if you're able to. The game can feel unfair a lot of the times. There are a nice variety of places to explore, and hardly any loading times for the scale of the map.

One thing that makes the game all the worse is the queuing system. The queuing system is by far one of the worst I have seen in a while. Buttons seem delayed a lot of the times. Say, I'm attacking, I click twice, in the middle of that, I try to roll out; As soon as I'm done with my second attack, the enemy is going to hit me, instead of rolling, the game makes me attack again, which would result in my death; even though I wanted to roll, not attack again.

Another huge gripe is the mouse targeting. All you do is face an enemy, middle click, then it would lock on. Simple right? To an extent, it's not that it's not simple, but how it functions most of the time. When facing more than one enemy, the lock on would spaz out and switch to both targets constantly and would most likely get you killed. This happens with the mouse sensitivity on high or low, there is no sweet spot.

The graphics are quite nice, you would see some nice shading, but it is there to compensate for the low quality of some textures. Animations are pretty terrible, male and female characters have the same animations, even the funky "crapped your pants" idle stance. The game is too "asian" like, almost anime-esque, which is a massive turn off for me. The voice acting as well, they mind as well have that irritating japanese school girl voice in. I feel that western games just feel and look better overall. They don't have that stupidly pointless excessive-ness that (stereotypical) asian things/games/everything seem to have.

The story feels like it almost doesn't exist. It is a very interesting story that is indirect and is solely based off of fan speculation. I wish it would be told in the actual game though, I want to know who I'm fighting, why am I fighting, who is this guy? Why is he here, what does he want? Most questions are not explained in the game, I wish they were. Interaction between characters is extremely limited. Which leads to the non-role playing part. Yes, I am my own character, but my influence feels artificial, my only influence seems to be from a strike of my sword.

The game is overall unpolished, but still good. The game is challenging, not "lolz,i 'm so hardcore pro MLG quality" though, I played this game casually, got NG2 in less than 80 hours. A good game on it's own. I would recommend it if the player is willing to take the challenge. With the exception of the anime-esque aspects, the quality and longevity is shortened by the lack of mod support, terrible port, and Games for Windows Live.
  68. Jan 8, 2014
    If you want to read about the story or gameplay then read a review from someone that can actually get it working. As for me, Steam's timer shows that I have played it for 27 minutes and that is about as far as I can take it. Keyboard Mouse controls are almost completely unplayable and illogically bound BUT FEAR NOT as I have a Logitech gamepad tucked away for games that require a controller to use, so I plugged that badboy in. Whoops, turns out that unless you're using an official Microsoft Xbox360 controller then there is roughly a 30% chance your controller will actually work. If it doesn't then you need to download, install, and then config a third-party 360 controller emulator and blah blah blah blah. This game was gifted to me by a friend and I would very much like to play it but so far that seems highly unlikely. I honestly have to question the legality over selling a product which more broken and dysfunctional than most early alpha test games. If I had paid full price I would certainly be requesting a refund from Steam support. Expand
  69. Jan 7, 2014
    After installing the DSfix and hooking up my Xbox controller, I was completely sucked into this world. Like Armored Core, another one of Fromsoft's game series, The game is fairly challenging, but fair.

Every single one of my deaths were caused by either a mistake or a lack of caution on my part. If I rushed into a room before surveying it, I was punished. If I used the wrong type of
    shield in a fight, I was punished. The game does a good job of subtly teaching you its mechanics without posting on-screen hints in the middle of boss battles.

I also liked how each boss taught me something about the game. The Asylum Demon taught me how to observe my surroundings and how to use them to my advantage, the taurus Demon reinforced that lesson, the Bell Tower Guardians taught me about weak points, etc.

I will warn new players about the online aspect of the game. In my opinion, it does a perfect job of allowing players to either help each other out, or to ruin each other's days. I fell in love with PVP combat in this game, and even after beating it a few days after release, I am still playing it for its PVP. That said, new players can get turned off by the game fairly easily because of how unexpectedly another (and possibly more experienced) player can invade their world.Another big turn off is the abundance of trainer users that are online.

One thing to remember about this game is to give it a chance. Dark Souls is an acquired taste, and I guarantee that you will feel very satisfied once you beat it. Fromsoftware has easily become my favourite developer because they try to make their games as satisfying as possible.

Never give up, and Prepare to Die.
  70. Jan 2, 2014
    To get the bad out of the way: the graphics are appalling and playing with standard PC gear is abysmal. If you want to relax and play this game for 30 mins after your tea, don't bother.

However, once you're holding a controller in your hands, and you're sitting sit down alone for a day, you realise that none of that matters. This game is exceptional.

To start, the combat system is
    precise. Dark Souls is near-sadistic in its expectations of you as a gamer. You're expected to be watchful and learn how enemies move, and then formulate exactly how to continue, whether that be with well-timed ripostes and backstabs, tactical luring with bows and throwing knives, or causing devastation by throwing golden spears of holy lightening into your foes heads. No matter the method, you're always one miss-click from seeing 'you died' plastered on the screen (get used to it). Seems unappealing, but It's this difficulty that makes it oh-so rewarding when you do finally reach the next checkpoint, or you finally conquer the boss-demon that you spent the last 50 mins of your life dying to. You did it, not the game 'holding your hand', it was your skill that got you through. It's unlike any game in recent memory in this regard. The bread and butter of any gaming experience is its mechanics, and Dark Souls certainly doesn't disappoint.

Being terse in regards to the story, as to not give spoilers, it's dark in both it's twisted nature and in the relative subtlety of its presentation. You're not assaulted with cut-scenes and shiny audiologs, no, you 'experience' the story around you, in worlds which, despite the dated graphics, are beautiful in design. You get a 'feel' for the lore without it ever feeling impressed upon. Again, if you don't spend the time 'taking it in', you won't get it.

One of the backbones of Dark Souls is its online integration. You will be helped by other players and killed by other players, you'll be sharing your victories (like hearing the bell-tower ring when ever another player defeats a certain boss), and you'll be sharing your defeats (pools of blood are laid in your world, containing the ill-fated last moments of others). Your interaction with fellow gamers has enough volume to stop Dark Souls from being lonely, to spur you on when you need it, but yet is cryptic enough not to break the immersion. Don't think for one moment that this game is social media.

On balance, once you've remedied the problems of the shoddy PC port(buy a controller!), this becomes one of the best games of the last decade. It's dark in it's story-telling, brutal in it's combat and uncompromising in it's approach. It's an adrenaline rush, and a bloody brilliant one at that. Hand-on-heart recommend for the strong of heart gamer.
  71. Jan 2, 2014
    I hated this game with all my heart, but after 10 hours, somehow I got hooked.
    If you think it's too hard, I recommend you to loosely follow a guide to help you where to go and what to do.
    I have a controller, I love to use it, and the DSfix does wonders.
  72. Dec 30, 2013
    After what seems like almost 3 years (simply because it actually has been this long by now) its finally dawned on me- I get Dark Souls. I understand enemy placement, items, most of the weapons, the different covenants, the boss fights, the NPC merchants, the layouts of all the areas in the game and even to some extent the "plot" or subplots contained amongst a very vague, shadowy, and ultimately somewhat pointless endeavor by you the player character. So what can I say about my rating for this game then? What is it about this game that has scorned me in such a way that going back and playing now is essentially pointless? Well for starters, the game is a mess. Not only developmentally, but in terms of many other relevant and important things that are simply not brought up. The soundtrack was simply intended for another game, seeing as it only plays during specific boss battles, or for certain areas. The rest of the "sound" is empty, ambient, fleeting and rather dull. The combat system is an acquired taste as well. Seeing as their are literally millions of configurations, item combinations, weapon combinations and armor combinations you could claim its "very amazing that this is all rather non intuitive and impossible for a person who does not have hundreds of hours on hand to figure them all out." Which brings me to my next point. What is the point of Dark Souls? Its core gameplay is fine, rather rudimentary and simple even. It makes sense after the first 10 hours or so and though it takes more time to understand the layouts of some frankly rather "small" areas in which you roam about, its still remains as quite different than most game titles these days. However, as most people have noticed, Dark Souls didn't exactly start any revolutions either. It kept players busy grinding, matchmaking dueling, summoning, and farming all around the mighty souls system itself. The human being deep somewhere in my bones would like to say that self-gratification in a game like Dark Souls comes at a huge cost whenever you die to something you would've needed literally hours of play testing yourself to bypass correctly or to have taken on directly. Which is why its so counter-intuitive really. The entire game based around collecting souls for your multi-purpose leveling solution and currency system completely undone by its own internal simplicity. Dark Souls is a simple game, much like Diablo 2 really or any other dungeon crawler. But even Diablo 2 had more "unique" environments, a better soundtrack for every area of the game, brilliant boss fights, and more memorability in my own opinion. As most know, the areas after Anor Londo are mostly empty, containing much more architectural splendor than meaningful, thought out level design and actual incentive to explore. The areas are by no means "massive" and I've never thought them to be particularly interesting to explore to begin with. Locations like the infamous Blight town are poorly coded, Dukes archives are practically empty, and the sprawling forest area is immensely tedious to wander around without any item incentives. The whole disconnect is there especially with player interaction via GFWL as well. Messages certainly don't matter and carry no real meaning for other players unless its actual advice left for whomever may be in that area. Covenants are distant, expensive, time consuming and don't really reward players as much as they think. Matches are often sparse, buggy, poorly optimized and usually quite lag ridden for both players involved and this isn't really what FROM SOFTWARE expected when they designed the game with consoles in mind. So much effort has to be made to get the game playable on PC that you are better off just not playing it either. Having played PVE for two years off and on- from having now played PVP for close to a year and a half- I can earnestly say.. I don't enjoy the game. It has taken a long time for me to finally come to terms with it, but I really truly recommend that new players simply avoid purchasing this incomplete and tedious action rpg. Dark Souls has not been emulated even once since its inception, which should tell you, what the rest of the western world at least, thinks of games done in this way. It isn't a bad game, but at this point its starting to sound like a bad inside joke among fans. Even Demons Souls fans grow tired of the stigma that is Dark Souls that has wiped out the popularity of its predecessor. Its so bad in fact that fans now speculate the entirety of the lore in the game, without really any reference or understanding beyond what things they see in the game itself. This tells me one of two things, either these people really want to see this amazing game that others don't see, or the other group that is less inclined to play this game as often are more apt to see it for its strengths and weaknesses instead. Just like any other game on the market today. Expand
  73. Dec 29, 2013
    not that good port to pc not much graphic option xbox 360 controller mapping and still i give this game a 10/10 2011 we had the witcher 2 m skyrim and this legendary RPG i was hesitant to play this game but i decided to give a try and am glad i did because for the 7 next days i fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing this game this game is not for everyone it is foe hardcore gamers only of you play games for fun then this game is not for you Expand
  74. Dec 28, 2013
    Pretty good game with a few problems for me. In about 75% of the game it's a fair challenge to the player but the rest of the remaining 25%? A very unfair memory test (Those percentages are totally not made up btw) The first boss for example, a real thrill of a challenge that feels rewarding once you beat him. But in other cases creatures off screen will just sling a projectile or some gargantuan beast from nowhere will pounce and you're dead. No two ways about it, your dead.
    The camera coupled with the level design can sometimes screw you over, where it'll clip behind a wall and block your complete view.
    I like a challenge, not a memory test of jump scares and OHKs.
  75. Dec 28, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Any game that requires Windows Live Beware! I've been screwed again buying before researching! This game is horrible, the voice acting is really bad, the graphics are bad even with top settings, and the 'auto-save' system is horrible. up and want to start a certain part over? NOPE. You will replay that horrible save over and over unless you make a new game. Speaking of making a new game, the story is very vague at the beginning and you get dumped into a jail and apparently you are a zombie, then with little to no tutorial and bag controls you are then pushed into a boss fight. I dont mine difficulty, but as a new play on level 1 everyone wants an easy level to learn how to play, but getting pushed into a ring with a boss right the get go only to be smashed 20 times before defeating it is just... Bad. This is a HORRIBLE console port (console ports are bad to begin with) But, the controls are really poorly done. if you do not have a Xbox controller, forget attempting to play this game. Luckily I got this on a steam sale for $6. TOTALLY not worth the full price. This game did however install perfectly and it didnt really have any bugs from waht I could tell. So it gets a 2. As for everything else over all, the story sucks, controls suck, graphics suck and voice acting sucked. Nothing good about this game but the music. Expand
  76. Dec 27, 2013
    This game is UNPLAYABLE as sold. It is the laziest, most awful port I've ever seen. It has keyboard remapping for actions like 'heavy attack' or 'use item' but then continues to give you menus that say 'press (A)'. There is no setting to map '(A)' to anything! You can use the mouse to control your direction, and left and right click work, but sometimes you'll click behind the screen and end up on your desktop because they clearly don't know how to make mouse controls work. The tips from players are all around but all for XBox controls as well.

Even beyond the horrible controls, the game telling is awful. You start off creating a character with no idea what any of the stats mean, and if you pick a class that uses magic, you get a skill that uses it, but not the resources to cast magic until later on. The very first enemy you have the fights back is a super boss fight that you absolutely can't win at this point, but there's no indication what you should do. Turns out, you can just run away.

This is the absolute LAZIEST game port I have ever seen, and shame on Metacritic for not reflecting it's near unplayability in it's score. The critics clearly had to have played the Xbox version, or have installed the third party fixes, SINCE THE DEVELOPER NEVER BOTHERED TO PATCH IT, EVER.

What a farce!!
  77. Dec 22, 2013
    I don't ever feel that games deserve a 0, but this one was close. Dark souls is original, in it's story and format, however the battle system that is used reminds me of the clunky and disjointed games from the 90's that failed all those years ago. It's not innovative, it's not creative, and it is certainly frustrating. Worst of all... it's boring, the aforementioned games from the 90's actually did a better job of implementing fighting systems like this.

Games should be fun, and I'm glad that some people had fun playing this game, but buyer be ware. It seems to be more and more, that people just see something that is "Dark, and gritty" and slap a '10' on it. The darker theme of this game does not redeem the terrible game play. There are some who are saying the console versions are better gameplay wise, I certainly hope they are right, but there have been too many games as of late like this one that everyone lauds as amazing, when they are just absolute garbage like Derek Zoolander's: Blue Steele.
  78. Dec 20, 2013
    This game really isn't that hard, but it's still a lot of fun.
    The combat is addicting, the world is big and theres a lot of replay ablity.

The port sucks though.
  79. Dec 13, 2013
    I don't understand how people can give this game a zero rating, this is one of the best games ever made, the addon allows 60 fps and greatly improves the texture, provided you install the addon the pc version is much better than the console version, though I'd highly recommend using a controller preferably 360) as the game is not as fun without one.
  80. Dec 11, 2013
    It's a fine maybe even great game as long as you don't care to play with a controller which makes it way easier. Also the port to pc wasn't great but it is not even close to game breaking. It is hard and challenging everything you need in a game
  81. Dec 6, 2013
    Dark Souls: Prepare to be Pissed at the worst PC port mankind has ever witnessed.

As if the difficulty of the game itself isn't enough to make you consider bolo-whipping your controller through your family's skulls.....you get the fun experience of trying to make this gd thing even barely function. Lady's and Gents....this is what you call a "cash grab" where the devs saw an
    opportunity to jam their console game through a bit-grinder and call it a PC game, and then laugh as they rub their nipples with dollar bills.
    So if you want to get this thing to run with mouse support, xbox gamepad support, and video graphics that don't look like donkey diarrhea, then be prepared to witness and experience the following:
    1. Remove all....yes...ALL of your USB devices
    2. Try to use your xbox controller. If that doesn't work, too bad I guess you don't have an "official MS gamepad" so you'll have to work harder.
    3. Install x360ce and go through a million hoops to get it to properly behave.
    4. Oh you wanted to leave your N52te gamepad plugged in? Well you'll have to unplug it, erase the x360ce config file, then disable multiple devices in your device manager, and then re-init x360ce, and then plug in your gamepad, and then pray to baby jesus it works.
    5. Oh crap....now you have a framerate issue.....oh crap....the intro cinematics are glitchy...
    6. Wow the graphics look like hell.....now we have to install Nexus Mod Manager and install the DSfix tool and a billion other mods.
    7. Ok screw the controller...let's go to the mouse.....oh man.....moving the mouse around is super glitchy and the camera studders so much you can't play it....
    8. Rage quit and then vent on Metacritic.

True story. The End.
    Seriously though, the issues/events described above are littered all over multiple forums where people are having massive issues with mice, gamepads, USB devices interfering with the game, graphics issues, refresh issues, you name it. While I don't think it would be worth an actual court battle over $30, it is however worth it to post these grievances on metacritic to strike their pocketbook as much as possible. Never again will I make the mistake of buying a late-term PC port. Do NOT buy this for PC.
  82. Dec 4, 2013
    Hace mucho no jugaba algo tan difícil y la historia me gusto mucho, aunque creo que podrían mejorar el apartado gráfico.

Espero que la saga siga mejorando con los moustros y la historia.
  83. Dec 2, 2013
    I played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (camera was fine, frame rate fine, resolution fine, etc.).

That being said, as I am sure one can discern based upon the critical reception, the game is fantastic with one caveat, if you go into it expecting hand holding consistent with how most games have been made over the past decade it's something of a rude awakening. The game is difficult but not as awe inspiringly challenging as some would have you believe, rather it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out the fairly basic mechanics of how the game works where it punishes you and where it doesn't it's no more difficult than playing another game in it's "hard" mode. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the challenge.

A complaint of mine has been that too many games you fly through the game without ever pausing to really take in the surroundings. Not so with Dark Souls in large part because the game forces you to proceed cautiously rushing into any area generally will mean a fairly quick demise. Overall though, your experience of the game hugely benefits because of this. And in terms of getting bang for your buck, pulling 60 hours out of your first playthrough is not an entirely unreasonable expectation depending on how thorough you choose to be.

I will not go into the minutiae of the game itself other than to say it's the most fully realized and engrossing dark fantasy world available on the PC. The only other that comes close is the Witcher 2 (another game I would strongly recommend, though for different reasons). If you like action RPG's and don't mind a challenge, this is the ticket.
  84. Dec 1, 2013
    Dark Souls is essentially a mediocre action game with shallow RPG elements tacked on. If you're looking for a GREAT action game, you're better off playing Devil May Cry (or DMC3 for that matter) which has RPG elements about as deep as you'll find in this game, (kill enemies, get currency, upgrade character) but with much better combat and tighter, more responsive controls.

The Nintendo
    hard challenge doesn't help the game much either, as it leads to very limited game play experience. Essentially, you run through an area fighting dull enemies, get one shot by the area boss, run through again, try to figure out how you got killed, die (of course), run through again, rinse and repeat until you figure out the boss's gimmick. Which just leads to you spending most of your time fighting the same predetermined enemies, while bashing your head against an over-tuned boss battle. Eventually you clear that area, and it's onto the next, and just like that, after just one area, you've experienced all the game has to offer. Expand
  85. Dec 1, 2013
    The PC port is downright dreadful. Don't even think about purchasing, if you don't own a controller.

The game itself is pretty solid, addicting and most of all challenging. It brings back memories of really hardcore oldschool games. Although it can be confusing, overwhelming and sometimes mindlessly frustrating, the feelings you get after each tiny step in progress cannot be put to words.
  86. Dec 1, 2013
    Absolutely terrible.Graphics are crapola! There's a patch mod to make it better but I spent 4hrs to try to get it to work without luck so I decided to just get into the game with it's crappy graphics.
    The idea of the game is great and is the only reason I'm not giving it a 0/10!
    What irritates me the most above the graphics and the usual glitch and bug is the difficulty and imbalance of
    this game. If you enjoy a game that you're finding yourself continuously having to kill the same enemies over and over and over to try to advance (as they respawn every time you die, or heal at your camp when you run out of potions), then good luck to you because this will certainly break you as it did I!
    The entire combat system is beyond retarded! Wayyy to difficult to block and counter enemies. Stamina is used to strike, block, dodge, counter you name it! So when you find yourself up against 2+ foes swinging their swords in your face...you die...why? Because you spend all your stamina blocking the first two strikes which leaves you open for a massive hit (3hits your dead).
    Horrible game, seriously steer clear
  87. Nov 29, 2013
    Dark Souls has the story, it has the progression, it has the loot and but it ruins it all in one single moment with a singe gimmicky gameplay mechanic.

I'm a big fan of RPG games, I love the idea of adventure, exploration and expansion of my character, Dark Souls isn't really an RPG where it matters, It's an RPG in terms of progression, It's and RPG in terms of it's rewards and Loot
    system, But as far as the gameplay goes, it's as far away as being an RPG as possible, it has a nice competent combat system, relying on health, stamina, timing and the type of enemy you are facing, all this is truly wonderful. It has an awesome loot system, tons of different weapon types, ton's of different combinations of class types. It's truly got everything that makes a great RPG, it also has some exploration and adventure, it's not the kind of thing you see in Fallout, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms Of Amalur, It's more linear, you have a set linear path, on a set linear story, but the world itself isn't linear, there are lots of places to go, lot's of hidden areas and tons of things to find, But, it's not open world and if it was, it may have benefited more from that.

So wait? I like it? Well, here is where the biggest problem with Dark Souls makes itself obvious, It's challenge and it's lack of options for those who don't want a challenge. Dark Souls tried to appeal to a specific audience and I respect that, I understand the type of people it's aimed at, the kind of people who play Minecraft on hardcore, The people who play Bioshock Infinite in 1999 mode The people who play Fallout in hardcore mode. I get it. But those games I Just mentioned, have a difficulty for people who don't like challenge, don't like being punished for every mistake. Dark Souls does it anyway, it's difficulty has sure given it a distinguishing calling card, a reputation per-say. But Dark Souls reputation could be that it's a truly amazing game were it not crippled by it's difficult reputation, what it does, is it turns people off. I put off buying Dark Souls for the reason, when I bought it, I liked it, but I'm glad I only paid £3 for it, put it that way. You NEED to give people options Namco, have difficult options for the people that want them and give a great experience for those who don't!
  88. Nov 29, 2013
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    Even with all the problems with the port, this game is simply stunning, not only to look at (it is beautiful) but also gameplay wise. The death works in this game is brilliant, it forces you to go deeper into the unknown everytime, you ever feel safe but its so much more satisfying if you achive a victory.
    It might take a while intil you finally dive
    deep into the game (it took 3 seperate starts for me) you will be locked into it and then there will be no escape!
    If you are a PC gamer that can handle an easy install of a few patches and LOOOOOOOOVE RPG's this game is simply a must have.
    the mere fact that I give this game a 10/10 even though it has so many problems should speak for it self.
  89. Nov 28, 2013
    This is total crap. You need to install 100 patches and hacks to make it kinda work on pc and its still unplayable. I tried to make it work for 1 hour and I surrendered. Even if you patch it up, you're still getting confusing Xbox 360 input tutorials. It's totaly broken.
  90. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is simply awesome. And the people that dislike it have no idea that you can just fix the game by downloading one SINGLE mod. By downloading DSFix you can unlock the 30 fps cap, you can go above 720p. I run this game at 40 fps cap and 1080p It's perfect I love using the controler with this game, it feels natural. So I cannot complain about the keyboard issues. The story, the atmosphere, the gameplay of this game is absolutely amazing Expand
  91. Nov 20, 2013
    First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden, but complex story, great responsive combat system, unique multiplayer elements and extremely addictive gameplay. Yes, this can be a very challenging piece at your first playthrough, but as you learn from your mistakes and your skill goes through natural progress, you're slowly becoming a master and you will eventually fall in love with this beast. 10/10 Expand
  92. Nov 19, 2013
    This game has an awful BUT after u install and setup the unofficial patch the game is just great combat RPG lv-up elements, and finally not a game that babysits u and hold your hand... game is full of mini boss and boss fights and most of the game u will feel changed buy ai. Exploration on your own, sudden deaths, and so much depth of what looks like basic RPG is just so immersive.
    I had
    some issues with Big Hat Logain and had to kill last boss whit basic magics but it only made it even more rewarding at the end. Am not sure i even want to talk about awesome mp features of the game 9.9 from me but am not sure how to do it so will give it a 10 :)
    gamepad is a must
  93. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

94. Nov 16, 2013
    Dark Souls is a challenging action rpg and is enthralling...Every area you enter is an adventure. The story is told through the actions of npcs and given in tidbits through item descriptions and locations. Although not the most effective method of story telling it lends itself to excellent replay. As you complete the game you can't help, but feeling it is not the end; there is more. You need to explore and read and listen to the dialog to find new things, new secrets new characters.
    It is like a 3d Castlevania packed with hidden secrets, weapons and short cuts. The large world is very interconnected and rife with spectacular view points allowing you to overlook the areas above and below. Areas you have been to are now off in the distance as a reminder of just how far you have come. Praise the sun!!

In spite of the minor issues with the port and bad mouse and keyboard controls its still the best rpg ever made. If you limit yourself to mouse and keyboard only then this probably isn't the game for you, but for everyone else that has the ability to learn and adapt to new challenges this a great game.
  95. Nov 14, 2013
    Refer to my previous Dark Souls review on 360 if interested. Prepare to die edition is a horrible port to the PC, it looks like an emulator running. The game never seems to work when trying to summon, or be summoned, their PVP system never worked for me, and invading seems to work the best yet there are many hackers. Besides that, I really enjoy the expansion which lasts about 3 extra hours long, 3 new bosses, 1 can be missed. Newer spells, 1 which is overpowered, newer items, and weapons that can be forged from new boss souls. The story is interesting, but never really dives the player deep into it. You see a younger Wolf Sif, but you may miss the story behind it, and may need to resort to the Wiki to find out the details.
    Overall Score: 8.0 out of 10.
  96. Nov 12, 2013
    Be wary for those who venture on this path. Prepare to Die. More than just words on the cover. These words serve as a foreshadowing warning. Yes, this game is fun. Yes, this game is horrible. It is a challenge. Get it and try your patience and sanity. It's not for everyone, only elite gamers.
  97. Nov 11, 2013
    I heard this is the hardest game ever made, that and demons souls which I never played. Aside from just timing on dodge and parrys this game didn't seem THAT hard to me, it is probably the hardest ive played...no, the most frustrating game ive played only because sometimes checkpoints are an hour away and dieing loses your souls (currency) and if u die again before you reclaim them you lose them all. Also the reason I give this an 8 for PC is because it was a horrible horrible console port, which you can only fix by googleing DSfix downloading it and throwing it into your data folder, then if comp savy enough to modify the script, which is a piss off, reminds me of Prototype 2 port...Anyways great game, hard as F*ck. If your a veteran hardcore gamer, this games for you, and it will still be challengeing and you will still die ALOT. That's all I gotta say. Expand
  98. Nov 6, 2013
    Meh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wanted to experience the sensation of getting better. But unfortunately the game did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. While it plays well with a controller, the game seems very small and lacking in many aspects. Feels dull and boring. There's no direction to anything you do in the game, it's just... mindless. I guess there is some kind of lore hidden in the game, but it's not worth looking for to be honest. I bought the game from Steam, played it for 6 hours and was pretty much done with it. Expand
  99. Nov 5, 2013
    This is one of my all time fav games i couldnt belive the shear content depth and fun into the game fighting these bosses with the new game takes some skill and thats why i love this game it takes skill not luck besides bed of cahos if i were to say one bad thing about the game it would be the pc controll's they are terrible but that does not make this a bad game the mods and wonder of the community with the pc is great and you can just plug in an xbox controller awsome game 10/10 not for noobs Expand
  100. Nov 2, 2013
    The PC port is bad but the mod called DSfix fixes everything. DSfix also enables texture modding possibilities by the way.

Anyway, the game itself is brilliant! It's easy and hard, simple and complex and fun and boring at the same time! I can't really explain it better than that lol.

The combat is simple yet it flows and feels good. You have a ton of things to consider regarding gear
    that will change combat so much that I't quite amazing how they've manage to balance it. I'd personally love a bit more gear to choose between and possibly a real dual wield combat style.

The story is great but it isn't forced down your throat so you can kind of choose whether you want to play this as a pure arcade game, an RPG or a mix between the two. The online stuff is also great, but you can choose not to be a part of that by plugging out your internet cable.
  101. Aug 24, 2012
    I'm wishing I'd spent my money on Darksiders II instead. This game is just dire. The story is let down by graphics that wouldn't have looked out of place on my original Xbox. Yes, I can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, but it's obviously still intended to be played on a big screen. Don't get me started on the control system; if I'd wanted to use a gamepad to play a game, I'd have bought it for my 360 instead. You can customize the keyboard controls and even use a mouse (mouse support is just terrible), but all of the on-screen prompts assume you're using a game pad. So you're left either mashing keys until you get the right one, or having to look it up on the cheat-sheet you've probably had to print out to stand any chance of even being able to press the correct button. The camera controls are also extremely annoying. TL;DR - If you want this game, get the console version. Collapse

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]