6.0

1. Sep 9, 2011
    Well, the critics so far haven't been paid to laud this one. I'm marking it down because I want to like this game, but I just don't. It's fun, for a while, then it becomes repetitive and boring. The story is an afterthought and there is no difference between single and multiplayer. Game goes like this...Map>Mobs>You>Kill Mobs>Pick up Stuff>Back to Ship>Equip Stuff>Repeat
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    I can hardly consider this a "game", or anything worth purchasing for retail price. It's indie at most, but it's worse than what you'd expect even then. It's very lazily built, as if the developers made it while they were half-awake and not sure what they were doing, but it definitely doesn't show anything that would differ from any normal RTS. It's the same thing over and over again, rarely did I ever look forward to participating in another battle on this game. It just didn't hit the spot for me in any way, therefore I can't give this anything higher than what I am. It's sloppy, ugly, and old in style; the developers didn't even try. I would suggest avoiding it until it's price drops down quite a bit, or if there's a huge sale on Steam; otherwise you're only wasting your money. Expand
  3. Apr 27, 2011
    Boring, tedious, samey and grindy. Nothing special, especially at the insane asking price of 40-50 euros. The game is worth 10 or maybe 15 euros, tops. It's not gonna hold your attention for very long because you will get bored with the identical levels pretty fast.
  4. Apr 30, 2011
    Like many I wanted to love this game but just cant get over the glaring issues. The overall game play is tight and the controls work well. But, is Handicapped by the inconsistent difficulty system in two crucial ways. It is very common to have elite units be very hard to kill. Now I don't mind a challenge and the offensive elite mods work very well but the defensive mods slow the game to a snails pace. Often you will run into levels where you can clear the level with a good challenge but when you get to the boss you do very little damage to him. Challenging yes, fun not so much. This leads to the second main issue with inconsistency. There is a clever system where if you group with lower level players on a lower level your loot is boosted and your stats are weakened. Great in concept but in practice you are weaker than the lower level players. The loot you receive is also just not worth the time. So not only can you not help your friends catch up to you Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    If you want an exciting game that's completely different, then don't buy darkspore. Darkspore is about exciting as a blank screen saver, which isn't that exciting by the way.
  6. May 1, 2011
    I am a fan of MAXIS and their work but sadly in this case with Darkspore, they did not deliver... It was not long before i gave up on this game entirely as it repeats the same simple process of Start Mission>Mobs>Kill Mobs>Obtain Loot>Kill Horde>End Mission... Besides bashing things there is nothing else the game offers other than some pretty graphics...
  7. May 24, 2011
    I like the game and played it for the first time BUT the BUGS... oh MY GOD..! I can't believe EA released a game so full of bugs. I think the character editor is the best feature and can be improved but the bugs frustrate most of the players. Something such as chaining which relies so heavily on network, players get disconnected, lose all there bonus and sit frustrated. This low score is just because of the premature release and not for the game's design. Collapse
  8. Jun 15, 2011
    After sitting through a good 30-40 minutes of backstory which is dumped on you at the start, I endured a frustratingly slow tutorial and endured 20 minutes of already boring and repetitive gameplay before giving up as the RSI-inducing controls were making my hands hurt already. Not recommended.
  9. Aug 3, 2011
    This game has so many bugs its reminiscence of Hellgate London when it was launched. I like this game, however there so many bugs that it gets frustrating at times. It disconnects fairly often when you get into teams and try to start a game. What it'll do is boot you and 3 other teammates have to abort their game and reform the team. But it doesn't happen only once, sometimes 3-4 times in a row, spoiling gameplay. sometimes you'll have problems logging in when the server's full. Not often though. Weapons shop do not sell any rare items at all. Its as if the developers left it out spefically so we'd continue to play the game at the end. It will become like a diablo game where all the players ever do is play the last chapter to farm the boss or roll for items at the end of a chain. For single player story line its great, albeit a little short. Good story telling, but lasts about maybe 6-12 hours depending on how you play it. Then its rinse and repeat. You have normal/hard/nightmare/ equivalent modes. Expand
  10. Jun 10, 2011
    game is very fun diablo clone but the major problems are : you can only play multiplayer with people your level. this would be okay if many users played in the community, but you're lucky to log on and find more than 50 players active in the lobby at any moment in time. also you cant bind any keys. the whole game is played by the mouse other than using numbers 1-0 for binding which attack to use.
  11. Jun 21, 2011
    Like most of the Sim and Spore fans out there, I had hoped that Maxis in their infinite wisdom would create a follow up to Spore, the fun simulation game where you design, evolve, and personalize your own creature, and help them take over as well as expand into the universe, encountering (as well as negotiating and declaring war upon) other worlds, empires, etc. Darkspore, sadly, is declared the sequel to the fun little world simulation. Darkspore is similiar in a very small aspect to spore. As much as we may hate to admit it, lets face the music and admit Darkspore has pretty much a pointless plot, and it is no different than any other arcade game today. Spore offered the chance to create and live out the dream with a being of your own imagination along with its neighbors, allies, planet(s), cars, anything you can think of. Darkspore is nothing like that, and is a huge dissapointment. Expand
  12. Nov 24, 2012
    I was really hoping for something new here, I was also hoping that the game itself would be more like the game it leads you to believe it's like, Spore. Though Spore was mostly forgettable the ability to create and customize was fun and I wanted to be able to do what I wanted to do with this dark spore game. I'd rather of been able to create my own character and gain new parts than to unlock new characters as I go.

Darkspore does have some of the familiar feelings of Spore in it's editor but it also limits you. The game is mediocre at best, same old action hack and slash, boring story, nothing new here.
  13. Apr 18, 2013
    I played this in the massive boom after release. It was fine for a while. I genuinely enjoyed the concept. Nice worlds, decent *enough* combat system, which was a hashed out Spore creature phase.

The flaw is repetitive nature and the ramping of difficulty. Whoever's behind it has absolutely no understanding of RPG hack and slash genre. I read with my own eyes people asking for account
    resets in forums so they could start over.

There is no 'winning' in this game. If you think simulators don't have win scenarios, fine. But this game literally can't be completed. You play as far as you're able to and then that's it. Let's say you walk to the grocery store every day. One day, the sidewalk is slippery from ice. The next day, the ice and then a fireball is flying across the sky. Then combine that with sirens going off. Eventually you're literally flaring your nostrils trying to take in more air to relax you while the 7th chain of enemies is coming in, praying to Jesus and Muhammed that nothing else will appear so you can finally complete the level. Then you retry the level and get a spawn so easy that makes you think you're playing dozens of levels below your difficulty.

Your real life friends will get bored with this in a few hours, and then you're in trouble. There is no making friends in this game. You do everything you can and you don't know why levels can't be completed. You will always think it's the other person's fault if you're playing CO-OP. You can't logically comprehend a game being so impossible. Then when you try the level alone after that person disconnects, you're only able to keep your interest for so long before you decide you won't be returning to the game.

If you want RPG/ hack and slash meets Spore, play a hack and slash and then play Spore. You will get nothing from this game. It would be neat to try for a few levels if it were free, but I can't in good faith recommend this game to anybody. I would feel like I deserve to get punched in the face, which is just about the same feeling you're going to have while playing.
  14. May 24, 2011

1. Jul 3, 2011
    Just don't believe everything you read on the box. [Issue#110, p.130]
  2. Jul 1, 2011
    If you treat yourself to the PvE campaign – especially in co-op mode – in small portions, it's a good recipe for a couple of relaxing game sessions. In the beginning at least, because over time watching the experience bar grow simply gets boring. [June 2011, p. 62]
  3. Jun 9, 2011