Dead Island PC

6.8

1. Sep 8, 2011
    Immersed on a zombie island in a more realistic approach. While having to repair my weapons on a regular basis may get monotonous it pushes me to be more selective and focus my skills in an intelligent way. Those who are sipping "hate-orade" on this game need to lighten up. It's got a great setting, good looking gameplay, and very fun. It's worth the purchase.
  2. BMF
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm boneI have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm bone breaks and juts out of his arm in slow motion then if you want to realy over do it break their other arm and kick them over and laugh while they squirm and try to prop themselfs up with their usless limbs. Slashing weapons are just as visceral opening huge gashes and lopping heads arms and legs alike. Dead Island was built for 1 to 4 players. Difficulty seamlessly scales to your specific number of players and level so the action stays ballanced. Overall if you like killing zombies and you like RPGs and shooters this is your game 9/10 for a shakey launch and bugs. Expand
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have toAfter seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have to face them at close range and crack each and everyone of them over the head with a bat. it really gets the adrenaline going! I find myself constantly looking around anytime I hear a zombie scream thinking they're going to chase me down around every corner. And do you ever get sick of bashing or slicing into a zombie? NO!

The other thing I love is the open world environment. I am a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and I get the same feeling in Dead Island to an extent. Being able to go where you want and do what you want is great. You don't get that linear feel like many fps games. Sure, the story isn't great but who gives a rats! Part of the fun is doing all the side quests. So what if Paco wants you to go and get a picture of his daughter and bring it back to him, or if Susan want's to know if her sister is dead or alive. Just Do It!
    (Plus you get cool stuff for completing the side quests.)

If you're on the fence about playing this game, don't be. Don't listen to all the negative reviews, they're just nit picking. Just play it and see for yourself.
  4. Apr 17, 2012
    Dead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! ButDead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! But there is no anti-aliasing which makes the game look terrible. The bloom is a bit over done, and there needs to be more options. Such as POV and shadows (not that I had a problem with pov) but some people did. It really is a shame they rushed this because it could had been a much better game. I love the beach map, it makes me feel like I'm there. The quests are ok, get this, come back, do this, come back etc. It's good fun. But this game could had been better. Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    Un jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout casUn jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout cas sous Steam, pas de bug. Expand
  6. Sep 19, 2011
    a brilliant zombie game, which deals with the survival of an apocalypse, not the slaughter of the undead. while combat can be a tad tricky, keeping an eye on different things "stamina, health, enemy health, weapon condition) it is rewarding every time you take down an enemy, and while nearly all missions are collect X and come back, they are very varied.
    as for the variety of weapons, they
    as for the variety of weapons, they all have their pros and cons, and it can be tricky to find out what is better at what.
    while it did suffer with the first week (steam release) problems those were, and still are being overcome, (but some are still a bit prominent (my biggest gripe is the inability to launch the game with no internet connection)) i feel confident that techland will see these bug fixes through, and i await a dead island 2
  7. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island,.. A big WOOOW. The game is beautiful, awesome storyline, stunning voiceacting, hilarious killing mechanism.
    If you are one of those who likes zombies, and want to kill them like in Dead Rising, then this game is definitely for you. Deep Silver did an awesome job giving us a great opportunity to live the game environment like if we were the character and it allows to play with friend in co-op which is the key of the game success!!
    This is one of the most expected games of this year (2011) and i'm enjoying every moment of it.
    This game is worth every penny spend buying the game. Buy it and play with your friends!!
    I'm promising you something, it will be one of your best experience when playing with your friend in co-op.
  8. Sep 10, 2011
    I really wanted Dead Island to be a good game, but I had my doubts. I was very pumped after that infamous first trailer, but my faith in the game went down from there. It is hard to screw up an open-world zombie game - and Deep Silver almost did. Luckily, Dead Island turned out to be an addictive and well-rounded RPG. I can tell that this game will be a strong guilty pleasure of mine forI really wanted Dead Island to be a good game, but I had my doubts. I was very pumped after that infamous first trailer, but my faith in the game went down from there. It is hard to screw up an open-world zombie game - and Deep Silver almost did. Luckily, Dead Island turned out to be an addictive and well-rounded RPG. I can tell that this game will be a strong guilty pleasure of mine for months to come. Expand
  9. Sep 7, 2011
    not a 10; game is an 8.5 but i just wanted to counter-act all the tweens raging about release issues. honestly its sad seeing the troll rage on the steam forums for the most trivial reasons only 12 hours after release. this is just one strong example of how metacritic userscores fail
  10. Sep 7, 2011
    First off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place onFirst off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place on a tropical island, basically everything i like about video games in one. However, the thing i like the most about dead island, is definitely the combat, The gorey zombie killing in this game feels more realistic than any other game i have played, Just the ability to chop off different limbs and kill zombies with numerous different weapons makes it that much more fun. Do not get this game confused with L4D, you do not kill 40 zombies with 1 shotgun blast like that game, At the beggining of the game you may even be overwhelmed by 4 or 5 zombies. But it feels like you are actually killing things and not just playing some arcade game. 10/10 Expand
  11. Sep 10, 2011
    it s borderland with zombie, just the perfect co-op game to play with some friends and a cold beer !
    I love it !!
    Sure it's not story driven...but who care, sand boxe game with awesome gameplay and co-op ??
    one of the best game i played this year.
  12. Sep 6, 2011
    Beautiful! This hell truly does look like paradise and feels like the best zombie slayer this year. The graphics are great and the game is incredibly easy to run! If you don't fall in love with the game play than you'll truly enjoy the rpg elements! Great game Play IT!
  13. May 24, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands and you loved LFD2 or maybe Dead Rising you gonna love this.
    The game environment is detailed and beautifully done.. as well as wide open to explore different methods and routes.
    The combat is bloody and squishy and frenzied and a load of fun with different weapons. The weapons are many and can be upgraded as well as created into some killer stuff. on my
    on my gtx275, core i7 920 running Win 7 / 64 it runs flawlessly maxed out and coop games are click and go no BS involved.
    I had a back log and grabbed this game on sale and it was a steal.. well worth every penny.
    Great job to the Devs
  14. Sep 11, 2011
    After they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shotsAfter they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shots count but there's very few choices in guns. It has a few glitches mostly graphical, it is annoying though that all the dialogue in the game is centered around Co-op along with the Cinematics. If your playing solo it can be somewhat annoying and confusing seeing the other characters even though they arent with you.
    I did enjoy the game though. Story was pretty lame and quests were down right appalling as if they were written by 9 year olds. One such quest, "Were starving here! We need more food, Go to the gas stations and pick us up two boxes of Juice!" .... Um.... Ok..... Relevancy 0 Strange 1. Anyways if you can overlook the strange quest flaws its a good game to play-thru and then maybe shelve or sell.
  15. Oct 22, 2011
    I acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situationsI acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situations where an item just wont pick up even though I have space. Not a big deal though, as I've managed to understand how the problem occurs and how to rectify it. I'm sure it will be dealt with at some point. Another issue is the awkwardness of weapon selection, using the middle mouse button to bring up the now popularized circular selector. It would make things easier if I could hot key each item, rather than awkwardly select with the mouse. Once again, hopefully the developer hears this and sends out another patch.

Positives: The game's quest system, whether it's primary, secondary or continuous quest lines are well designed with a helpful cookie trail to follow your way to the destination. The quests themselves are really enjoyable, I haven't gotten bored of any of them, nor do they seem repetitive or 'fed-exish' . This is important to me, as I will quickly lose interest in a game if quests become mundane or identical. Four unique characters to chose from. Pick your preference and have fun with him / her. There's co-op too, although playing with strangers can be annoying. Some people like myself, like to open all loot bags, chests etc. Whereas others I have played with like to fly through and ignore potential loots. For my own enjoyment, I prefer playing this as single player, so I can take my time by completing quests and looting at my leisure.

The sound effects, background ambiance really set the mood, creating quite a scary scenario. Well done.

The graphics are top notch in my opinion, with light / shadows being exemplary. I'm running crossfired ATI 5770's with an i7-860, 4gb ram, win 7/64-bit. Both cpu and graphics cards are at stock speeds. Not sure what the average frames-per-second is, but it's quite smooth, no complaints. Now, if I could understand what they've done with anti-aliasing and anisotropic settings, then I'd be happier. Yet, as it stands the 'High' settings across the board @ 1920 x 1080 looks like candy to my eyes. The artificial intelligence is quite good. The varieties of zombies will challenge you and you simply can't approach all encounters slicing wildly. The zombies can and will interrupt you, throw things at you and even straffe you to attack your side or flank [namely 'infected' zombies]. I have died many, many times due to being overwhelmed or performing a bad decision attack. Granted I'm not an avid video gamer, yet the challenge is definitely there. Worst case is you lose money and continue a few meters from where you died. Weapons degrade with use that you can 'repair' upon finding a repair/upgrade workbench scattered around. This feature alone makes you think twice about wildly swinging and instead makes you rely upon well placed hits or even kicking approaching zombie. Dismemberment is done with style.
    You can also throw your weapons, toss grenades or molotov **** at groups of zombies. At close proximity though, a grenade is likely going to blow you to smithereens as well, so don't go bonkers with explosives ;) For gun enthusiasts, there is one of 4 characters to chose whose specialty [read bonus damage] is guns. Otherwise, most of the time you'll be swinging your cleaver, knife, machete, or maybe breaking bones with sledge hammers and maces. There are upgrades you can buy for weapons and 'mods', which will gives you a chance to electrocute, poison or set ablaze your target for example.

All in all, a fun game. Yes, this is a long game and so far I'm enjoying it and feel that I'm approximately 1/2 way through. There is very minor 'farming' to do to acquire cash. You don't have to, and there are alternate ways to acquire money to buy your goodies. I definitely recommend this game to all.
  16. Sep 8, 2011
    Trust the critics on this one! By the time you've read this, you might already have heard about the problems @ release. That seems to be the main complaint with people. Since after the patch everything works just fine, this complaint is no longer valid.

What is Dead Island? Its smashing zombies heads in with hundreds of different weapons, with different stats and levels (unique and special weapons ). Its upgrading your weapons with your hard earned cash.
    It's by far the best look'n'feel I've seen in a melee fps ever ( go f... yourself oblivion )
    Its collecting blue prints for special weapon mods ( simple, but effective and fun crafting system ). Its tons and tons of loot. Its dozens of sidequests, plus an athmospheric main quest. Its collecting XP for an unexpectedly interesting skill tree.
    Its managing the deteriorating conidtion of your weapons.
    Its a kick ass intro song.

Its..... all kinds of crazy fun. All that in an engine with virtually no loading times and a smooth framerate even at high settings. Now there are some bad things aswell. The driving, being very very arcade, doesnt count to the games strengths. BUT: a) youll be on foot like 99% of the time, since this no gta clone. b) if you need the car its effective and brings you safely from a to b...in these moments you wont regret this not being gran tourismo c) C'mon guys, the protagonist shatters the windshield when it's cracked like the thoughtful bastard he/she is - thats gotta count for something :)

Also something PC players ( like me ) might dislike: theres no quicksave/load option since the game relies on checkpoints only. But since I'm usually a quicksave spammer, I appreciate the change of pace. This game is easily one of the best Zombie/Infected ( minispoiler ) games out there and has to mentioned along with games like left 4 dead and dead rising. But be advised ( or intrigued ): this game has a gore factor of Dead Space * Bloodymess Perk ( Fallout series ).
  17. Sep 9, 2011
    Found no bugs so far. Likely because I got it on the 9th while the guinea pigs got it on the 6th. :>

Real fun game to play with friends and the world is pretty huge.
  18. Sep 12, 2011
    I dare to say I am one of the few lucky people who could get this baby go well. Played many hours now without bugs. And it is FUN. Much more realistic than any zombie game this far. Combat is reasonable, hit boxes too, damage system as well. My only problem is that sometimes repairing weapons with money becomes boring and frustrating. Bit of a cycle. But all in all, don't listen to trolls,I dare to say I am one of the few lucky people who could get this baby go well. Played many hours now without bugs. And it is FUN. Much more realistic than any zombie game this far. Combat is reasonable, hit boxes too, damage system as well. My only problem is that sometimes repairing weapons with money becomes boring and frustrating. Bit of a cycle. But all in all, don't listen to trolls, this game is fun, balanced and beautiful. Cheers! Expand
  19. Sep 6, 2011
    This is a very good game. For all the funny youtube videos showing off the debug mode, it's less buggy than other open world games such as New Vegas or Oblivion, and has co-op to boot: especially important to note that this is not a single player game. You have that option, but you really need to bring a friend or three.

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is still on the shoddy side; you won't mistake this for an Avellone venture. With gameplay this solid, though, the narrative sinking into the background while you and your friends are on voice chat suits it just fine.

The controls are slick, your actions feel purposeful. The melee combat is really well done, I was definitely impressed. This is all rather insubstantive so let me take you through a cool moment:

My friend and I saw this swole zombie by the edge of a pool full of bodies. I threw my cleaver at it, my buddy threw both his knives (and was then out of weapons). I moved in start wailing on it with my baseball bat, but it punched me and I went flying into the pool. As my character stumbled to his feet, the bodies in the pool got up.

I went into Fury Mode and started boxing them and my friend had to walk up to the big guy and pull his knives out of him - while he was still up and dangerous - in order to continue packing in the damage.

The game is full of things like this. I pre-ordered it Monday and it's been worth every penny.
  20. Sep 10, 2011
    Game was a disaster on launch, however it was patched quite quickly. The game now runs stable and beautifully provided you edit the games video settings file. The FOV is still very narrow, though this is expected from a console port. The game itself is loads of fun, it is not the dramatic zombie survival game we were all hoping for however. Food and items re-spawn within minutes of leavingGame was a disaster on launch, however it was patched quite quickly. The game now runs stable and beautifully provided you edit the games video settings file. The FOV is still very narrow, though this is expected from a console port. The game itself is loads of fun, it is not the dramatic zombie survival game we were all hoping for however. Food and items re-spawn within minutes of leaving an area, ammo is hardly as scarce as was suggested. Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2011
    The game itself is and was great. There's no denying that I loved the game and what it has to offer. But after the rush of enjoying the zombie filled world you start to realize there are a lot of problems. The main problem being they shipped with a debug build of the game, which was basically a version they sent to microsoft built for the xbox 360, to find this out hurt me pretty bad, i'mThe game itself is and was great. There's no denying that I loved the game and what it has to offer. But after the rush of enjoying the zombie filled world you start to realize there are a lot of problems. The main problem being they shipped with a debug build of the game, which was basically a version they sent to microsoft built for the xbox 360, to find this out hurt me pretty bad, i'm very upset that they'd say to us and reassure us that our pc version is NOT A PORT, but look what happens, yes I know people make mistakes and the debug version on steam may just be an accident, but it's annoying, especially after waiting such a long time to finally play the game. I finally finished the game this morning and am happy to say I loved it and I cannot wait to go through and play it again with all the characters. When everything in the game works (co-op, graphics settings) it brings out the best in the game and it's fantastic. Expand
  22. Sep 12, 2011
    Right... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of DeadRight... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of Dead Rising 2 (combining items to make better weapons) and it has all the zombie gore of l4d.

I can't say with all honesty that it's better than L4D as they're games of a very different ilk; L4D is of course very heavy on gunplay, and Dead Island's emphasis is very much on melee combat. But the delight (and the occasional howl of anguish!) of it's combat system is in the improvisation that you find yourself doing - split second judgement even. You will find yourself thinking "right, I'm gonna throw this at here Fast Zombie sprinting towards me, then a quick kick to this one on the right, pick up this hammer here and try and break the arm of the one on the left....". Notice I said "break the arm". I could have equally said "cut off the arm" - which in itself is fantastic - this game gives you the ability to chop off various limbs (although you won't see any zombies dragging themselves along by their arms if you cut both legs off - believe me, I've tried!). It is hilarious though, watching a zombie trying to headbutt you to death!

The game is not perfect; there are some graphical glitches and the main storyline is a bit weak and dull in places. However, for the sheer joy of going toe-to-toe with the walking dead (and revelling in the resulting gore!) you can't get any better than Dead Island.
  23. Sep 10, 2011
    I like zombies a lot, though I can understand people who say that they are over-rated. I mean, there are so many movies and games about zombies, that making a game about zombies will not seem original. But, Dead Island is original. There is no other zombie game with such fantastic melee fighting, and such nice and open world. It is a lot of fun to just explore the island. The plot doesn'tI like zombies a lot, though I can understand people who say that they are over-rated. I mean, there are so many movies and games about zombies, that making a game about zombies will not seem original. But, Dead Island is original. There is no other zombie game with such fantastic melee fighting, and such nice and open world. It is a lot of fun to just explore the island. The plot doesn't seem original, and neither do quests really, but, at least for me, most of them are fun. It's really fun how many survivors are out there, that barricated themselves in huts or wherever. They'll always need our help one way or another. There are many weapons which we can improve, or craft new ones. Similar to Fallout:NV, except that here we use melee weapons most of the time. I didn't play co-op a lot, since as of now I don't have any friends to play with. But as much as I played with random people, I must say that.. I just don't know if there's a bigger sense in playing co-op mode. This game is nothing like L4D. Sure, it may be fun to kill zombies together but you'll never really feel like you're badly needed. Maybe it is tougher later down in the game, I wouldn't know, but so far I've been playing alone and I didn't have bigger problems. Died only few times. The truth is though ,when you play with friends.. every game is be fun. And playing Dead Island together with friends would be fun aswell, methinks. But as for playing with random people... I dunno, I think I'd just recoomend L4D better. The character skills tree seems to be done well. Our opponents' level is matched to ours, but when we join somebody's else game and they have low level... Opponents are matched to the host level and then we can truly see how stronger we became. As for the graphics, the models could be better, but how detailed the world is, the light effects and stuff like that, the views... It all makes the game beautiful. Makes you want sight-seeing. As for characters, there are 4 characters with background stories, explaining their life and why are they on the island... And they aren't bad. Each character has different specialities too. I think that's all I wanted to tell about the game, really. If you're a fan of Fallout/Oblivion and like zombies, you'll love this game. Ps. I just realised I'll add one more thing. Plenty of bad things could be said about the multiplayer but then again there is no other RPG with such well done multiplayer.. It's sorta like playing Fallout or Oblivion with someone. Pros: -Amazing melee fighting system. -Beautiful, open world that just makes you want to explore it. -Gore. -Well done character. Cons: -Plot. -Repetitive quests. -Multiplayer could be done better. Expand
  24. Oct 8, 2011
    After having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going toAfter having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going to win it any awards but it doesn't need to. It is simply a tool for pushing you forward to the next beautifully detailed area. Single player tends towards a paranoia inducing survival game - having you jump out of your seat every time you get set upon by some unsuspected shamblers. Multiplayer I think of almost as a thug simulator; your group charging around smashing the heads of everything in sight. It is a great fun romp and pretty to boot. Is it perfect? No. But it is tremendous fun and highly replayable. 10/10 for being the most fun I have had playing a game in ages. Expand
  25. Apr 27, 2012
    I must admit, against all negative reviews, i like this game. Not only because, it's polish game. Mostly because of very detailed and open world, simple but interesting plot, 100% steam integration ( VAC, co-op, achievements, steam cloud ) and elements of an RPG. As usual, there are some minor bugs, graphical mostly, but still, game runs smooth. Pure fun.
  26. Sep 7, 2011
    In record time, Techland has taken most of the major bugs out of Dead Island, and it's finally playable, and I can assure you that you will love this game. The "paradise lost" environment you find yourself in is somewhat low-rez, but definitely does a good job of conveying the general feeling of Banoi, as the island is called. What really brings the whole island together, however, are theIn record time, Techland has taken most of the major bugs out of Dead Island, and it's finally playable, and I can assure you that you will love this game. The "paradise lost" environment you find yourself in is somewhat low-rez, but definitely does a good job of conveying the general feeling of Banoi, as the island is called. What really brings the whole island together, however, are the NPCs you come across. They react exactly like you would expect during a catastrophe, and no two are alike. Weapon wise, there are all kinds of pipes, paddles, divers knives, kitchen knives, sports equipment, and even some firearms end-game to keep you happy, and like Dead Rising 2, you can combine them in suprising ways to further increase your killing potential. Each character specializes in a certain type of weapon, and each of their skill trees vary widely. All in all, now that the glitches are less of a problem, I can now confidently say that this might be worth the buy. Expand
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    Loin d'être parfait, Dead Island a ce "petit truc" qui en fait un jeu accrocheur. Avec des référence évidentes et assumées à des jeux comme Borderlands ou Dead Rising il nous offre de bon petit moment de jeux. Ultra-gore, ambiance de films de série Z, environnements plutôt jolis, lesLoin d'être parfait, Dead Island a ce "petit truc" qui en fait un jeu accrocheur. Avec des référence évidentes et assumées à des jeux comme Borderlands ou Dead Rising il nous offre de bon petit moment de jeux. Ultra-gore, ambiance de films de série Z, environnements plutôt jolis, les geek fans de zombies devraient adorer! Expand
  28. Sep 7, 2011
    Having been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for everyHaving been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for every player that joins in) in that even solo mode is advertised as a LAN or Online game through Steam so folk can join if you want them to without need for solo and multi characters. Slighty disappointed with lack of customising on the graphics settings, maxed out in 1080p FRAPS was reporting 145fps which is impressive, but I'd rather have it limited to 60fps and better quality textures and tessalation for Dx11 owners etc. Overall the game does add a new zombie game to the collection and it's a worthy choice, unlike rubbish like dead rising 2 or resident evil 5 which suck. Expand
  29. Sep 7, 2011
    There's a lot of polish missing; but the fundamental game play (particularly the co-op), is a lot of fun. I give the game a solid 'B' grade. I've only played the game co-op, and can't comment on the single player. Pros: -Melee combat feels right, zombies are not paper-weights ala Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead. At least in the early stages, getting surrounded is a quick recipe for dying. -It'sThere's a lot of polish missing; but the fundamental game play (particularly the co-op), is a lot of fun. I give the game a solid 'B' grade. I've only played the game co-op, and can't comment on the single player. Pros: -Melee combat feels right, zombies are not paper-weights ala Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead. At least in the early stages, getting surrounded is a quick recipe for dying. -It's a lot of fun just fighting and exploring the environment. Cons: -Re-spawn mechanic. There's little consequence to dying. There should be a revive mechanic in place for multiplayer. Simply respawning minus some money is too trivial a death penalty. -Graphical glitches-some textures and character facial animations could have used more polish. -Voice acting could be better -Day one bugs... particularly on steam. Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2011
    Don't believe the people who strike this game down for all the "bugs". In my experience the game is no where near as broken as people say it is. I believe in "don't shoot the messenger" in this situation. The game is good and the developer is working hard to fix the issues that are arising. Yes it's inexcusable that the game was shipped in such a poor state but that's the developer's faultDon't believe the people who strike this game down for all the "bugs". In my experience the game is no where near as broken as people say it is. I believe in "don't shoot the messenger" in this situation. The game is good and the developer is working hard to fix the issues that are arising. Yes it's inexcusable that the game was shipped in such a poor state but that's the developer's fault and not the game's. Dead island is a fun and satisfying co-op rpg with some very unique elements to it that make it distinct. If I have any issues it's that guns feel weak and the game suffers similar balance problems to borderlands in that enemies become either too easy or too difficult in the higher levels. Though the game looks pretty in pictures it doesn't stand up as well when in motion. There's simply nothing eye catching about it's visuals. It creates what it set out to create well but the end result simply can't hold up against other recent games that feature tropical environments. Though I do recommend dead island Id'e say to wait maybe a month or so for bug fixes but be sure that dead island is good fun and doesn't deserve the hatred allot of people have for it. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.