8.0

1. Sep 2, 2010
    This game is INTENSE, and scary - damn scary. It's hard to scare me, but this game had me jump a few times - It rocks! Definitely worth buying and playing over and over again.
  2. Oct 31, 2010
    A great game, very intense all the way to the end. It is a scary game but you get used to all that scariness when you get used to the game. The missions are alot of fun and very inventive. The graphics are very awesome and really get you into the game more. The sounds in the game make it really creepy to walk down a hall. The gameplay takes getting used to because you have to deal withA great game, very intense all the way to the end. It is a scary game but you get used to all that scariness when you get used to the game. The missions are alot of fun and very inventive. The graphics are very awesome and really get you into the game more. The sounds in the game make it really creepy to walk down a hall. The gameplay takes getting used to because you have to deal with looking behind the character the whole time. The story is very good and is not hard to follow. Its one of those games you have to play twice to fully understand everything. It is a great game and a perfect length for this type of game. I loved playing it! Get it and you wont regret it! Expand
  3. May 16, 2011
    Picked this up recently during a Steam Sale. Was wondering what the hype was all about for Dead Space 2. I now know. Dead Space is an incredible game, great storyline and probably the best fiver I spent on a game which is about three years old. As good as that first feeling you got when playing the first Resident Evil, though that's a poor comparison. Dead Space sucks you into it's madnessPicked this up recently during a Steam Sale. Was wondering what the hype was all about for Dead Space 2. I now know. Dead Space is an incredible game, great storyline and probably the best fiver I spent on a game which is about three years old. As good as that first feeling you got when playing the first Resident Evil, though that's a poor comparison. Dead Space sucks you into it's madness and chaos, leaving you gasping for a breather. Definitely going to grab Dead Space 2. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    Overall I really enjoyed this game, I tried a few things to get into it and couldn't get past the **** mouse controls and the fact that it felt like a console port (which it is). The fact that I only paid a few quid for it on Steam meant it didn't bother me as much, but they should have picked up on the control thing.

However, when Dead Space 2 came out I thought I would give it another

However, when Dead Space 2 came out I thought I would give it another try and decided to play as a console player, PC connected to the TV and using an Xbox controller. The controls took a little getting used to but then I soon got the hand of it. In a way slightly more difficult control method added to the atmosphere in a similar way that the Wii controls added to the Resident Evil 4 experience.
    The game itself seemed incredibly long and is very atmospheric, it reminded me somewhat of Event Horizon and is very gory. Overall worth a punt if you are willing to make a few concessions.
  5. Jan 16, 2012
    Irrelevant bugs? Check.
    Controls that can be gotten used to in a while? Check.
    The things I mentioned above are most things people whine about. And I don't give a **** I already wrote a 30 minute review on this game, explaining 50 aspects of the game that make it so worth your money (sadly, that youtube account was deleted and I lost the video). I simply love this game, it has went into my
    Irrelevant bugs? Check.
    Controls that can be gotten used to in a while? Check.
    The things I mentioned above are most things people whine about.
    And I don't give a ****
    I already wrote a 30 minute review on this game, explaining 50 aspects of the game that make it so worth your money (sadly, that youtube account was deleted and I lost the video). I simply love this game, it has went into my GOTY list time and time again, I recommend it to everyone and everyone asks me about it.
    The controls are **** yes, but they are easy to get used to. I loved this game. The action was great, the satisfying feel of tearing apart an alien with your power boots with that scream is just unforgettable.
    As far as with the storyline, it's nothing breathtaking or amazing, but it definitely keeps you at the front (and, at the same amount, edge) of the seat until the last second of what happens.
    The controls will take some time to get used to, and by the middle of the game you'll be shooting aliens like it's cutting butter with a knife, and by the end, you'll be ready for Dead Space 2.
  6. Oct 31, 2011
    Dead Space has saved gaming for me. Lately I've been buying games and not being able to complete them. Getting bored after 10 minutes and I've been thinking of quitting gaming altogether. Dead Space has shown me its that not that gaming is getting boring. Its just that in the few years we've be become inundated by a swatch of truly overpriced bad AAA games. Dead Space is classic and 10/10Dead Space has saved gaming for me. Lately I've been buying games and not being able to complete them. Getting bored after 10 minutes and I've been thinking of quitting gaming altogether. Dead Space has shown me its that not that gaming is getting boring. Its just that in the few years we've be become inundated by a swatch of truly overpriced bad AAA games. Dead Space is classic and 10/10 for me.

I think anyone who doesn't find this game enjoyable is a stick in the mud.
  7. Feb 29, 2012
    Although every chapter of this game makes me exhausted, I think it is one of the best games I've ever played. The selling point of this game is neither horror nor disgusting, but the combination of these two plus a very challenging style of gameplay makes dead space really a game that can really catch every nerves of the player. Sometimes, many necromorphs (your enemies in the game)Although every chapter of this game makes me exhausted, I think it is one of the best games I've ever played. The selling point of this game is neither horror nor disgusting, but the combination of these two plus a very challenging style of gameplay makes dead space really a game that can really catch every nerves of the player. Sometimes, many necromorphs (your enemies in the game) suddenly come in your face when you just about to relax, and the producers really know how to make the players 'suffer'...and there are many technical object for you to complete, and some of them require you to work under zero gravity, where you even have to walk on the roof, and necromorphs may appears right in front of you, which really challenge your sense of dimension. Even in easy mode, the game is hard to play, thus makes me even more nervous when facing the necromorphs. The overall mood of the game is not too depressed, but there are so many things can scare you, and keep you nervous for every single second. The bonus is that you could even be more satisfied with your real life after playing this game, the reason is obvious. However, I don't recommend teens play this game, because it is too bloody and scary. Expand
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    The best survival horror game since the glorious times of the first three RE, this new brand has great future, DS 2 was awesome and improved what in the first game wasn't that awesome. This game is THE scary game of new generation.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    The most terrifying video game I have ever played. Eventually, you figure out the rhythm of when terrors will appear, but by this point the game has ramped up the difficulty, keeping the challenge high. The quests are fairly repetitive (go here, acquire item, return, repeat), but the engagements are dynamic and the character acting is great, which keeps the game from getting dull. The RPGThe most terrifying video game I have ever played. Eventually, you figure out the rhythm of when terrors will appear, but by this point the game has ramped up the difficulty, keeping the challenge high. The quests are fairly repetitive (go here, acquire item, return, repeat), but the engagements are dynamic and the character acting is great, which keeps the game from getting dull. The RPG elements of upgrading your suit and guns are fantastic because it emphasizes your specific playstyle. The only downside is that certain guns are more useful in situations than others, which means that you're pigeon-holed into always carrying certain weapons that you might not want to use (e.g. I can't find a way to efficiently defeat guardians without using the saw cutter, but I hate that gun in all other cases). Also, this game has a lot of gore- do not play in front of a sensitive crowd. People talk about the horrid controls, but I don't know what their problem is- I feel like any inefficiencies in controlling Isaac can be attributed to the fact that you are controlling an engineer, not a soldier- he's not going to be trained to perform perfectly in combat. That's the feeling I got from the controls. Other than that, this game has become one of my all-time favorites. Expand
  10. Dec 20, 2012
    Probably the best game I've ever played! I love the storyline, I love the atmosphere, I love the "look" of it, the graphics, the sounds.... It simply doesn't get any better than this... That should only be if they made it in first person view :)
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    One of the scariest games of all time! A must buy for every horror game fan out there!
    This is another classic example of what a survival horror game should be, the same goes with the pre-RE5 resident evil games. The Dead Space series also continues this along the way, even the 3d one is amazing. Also, if you are a PC gamer, don't worry about anything if you have a 120hz monitor, it fixes all the problems PC gamers are experiencing, just turn it up to 120hz.
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is awesome it's not really as scary as many people say but it's an awesome Survival Horror title you should pick it up if you like Survival Horror like games and it's pretty similar to Resident Evil 4 and the story is amazing and the graphics are not the best but it is a 2008 game.
  13. Jul 28, 2013
    A constant remix of tried and true horror techniques that's left me more afraid, not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive and in what form. For example, there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep yourA constant remix of tried and true horror techniques that's left me more afraid, not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive and in what form. For example, there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep your guard up constantly was what this title excels at.

Overall it is an engaging and thrilling experience that could not be polished further.
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    Easily the best game in the series, one minor issue being delayed user input, but this could easily be fixed by turning off VSYNC so its not that big of an issue. One of the first things I remember noticing about this game was the lighting, it looked amazing, especially for a console port. The ambience is done excellently as well, good sound effects where they need to be. It makes for aEasily the best game in the series, one minor issue being delayed user input, but this could easily be fixed by turning off VSYNC so its not that big of an issue. One of the first things I remember noticing about this game was the lighting, it looked amazing, especially for a console port. The ambience is done excellently as well, good sound effects where they need to be. It makes for a very suspenseful atmosphere and I loved it, replayed it at least 10 times. Expand
  15. Sep 19, 2013
    I picked this game up along with a couple others with the Humble Origin Bundle. And I have to say this game is probably the best of the three made so far! I should know I own all three. The way the game handles on keyboard is my only issue! And there may be a few puzzles that are harder to figure out. But, overall this was a really good game. I would like to say more but I don't want toI picked this game up along with a couple others with the Humble Origin Bundle. And I have to say this game is probably the best of the three made so far! I should know I own all three. The way the game handles on keyboard is my only issue! And there may be a few puzzles that are harder to figure out. But, overall this was a really good game. I would like to say more but I don't want to soil it for anyone else who wants to play it. Expand
  16. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very nice game that offers a nice game-play and story with Isaac the space engineer as main character. it delivers nice combat play and good horror effects. very nice graphics compared to date of release.
    10/10 from Denmark
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    I was the best at that time the best graphics best horror game of this game, but I have a six-year-old cancer echinacea, out last more than a horror game seems to be the best warrior luck.
  18. May 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great game of Survival Horror genre. Deserves a perfect score for its excellent gameplay and graphics, but the difficulty seems to me something difficult. Expand
  19. Apr 14, 2014
    It is the scariest game I've ever played! The graphics on the PC are very good, but the PS3 is a little less. Was one of the top 10 games I played on the PS3. Optimal difficulty where you must save all the time weapons ammo and use strategy when buying supplies and then not become more difficult to play. 10!
  20. k_9
    Aug 12, 2014
    Bought it three years ago but somehow never got to try it. Just finished it recently. Great experience if you are brave and a fan of horror fps genre which I am not (Was that a confession?). Still, recommended to everyone new to this series. Graphics and sound are fantastic. The weapons upgrading system is fantastic. Makes you craving for those power nodes, searching, making plans aboutBought it three years ago but somehow never got to try it. Just finished it recently. Great experience if you are brave and a fan of horror fps genre which I am not (Was that a confession?). Still, recommended to everyone new to this series. Graphics and sound are fantastic. The weapons upgrading system is fantastic. Makes you craving for those power nodes, searching, making plans about what you wanna keep and what you sell away for that extra bit of money to afford another node. The limb cutter weapon and foot thumping are my two favorite features of this franchise. The suspense and surprise are good. Midnight? Feeling lonely? Nothing to do? Go to hell but don't try this! USG Ishimora is NOT a aplce for cowards, mind you. Expand
  21. May 13, 2014
    Очень интересный и интригующий сюжет, хороший геймплей, реально страшная атмосфера, поддерживаемая отличным звуковым сопровождением.
  22. Jan 28, 2015
    One of the best games i have ever played. I love Half life and FEAR series, but this something different. This is just you and loads of necromorf meat to blast.

This game has it all: good scares, tons of gore, gallons of blood, great weapons, very nice story, scary enemies and huge old creepy ship to explore. At the end you kill the big bad boss and fly home. I just love it. I played

I played this five or more times. Second and third games feel a bit watered down, but this is a true gem. This is game that gives you that heavy feeling around your stomach, this is the game that makes you feel overwhelmed until the end. Please buy it and play it!
  23. Mar 22, 2015
    After hearing a distress signal (From the anime of dead space downfall) a group of engineers, Isaac Clark, Kendra Daniels, and Zack Hammond come to the ship U.S.G. Ishimura to repair their radio transmitter. Shortly after investigating they are attacked by the games threat "necromorphs." After repairing the ships radio transmitter and avoiding several catastrophes they are finally able toAfter hearing a distress signal (From the anime of dead space downfall) a group of engineers, Isaac Clark, Kendra Daniels, and Zack Hammond come to the ship U.S.G. Ishimura to repair their radio transmitter. Shortly after investigating they are attacked by the games threat "necromorphs." After repairing the ships radio transmitter and avoiding several catastrophes they are finally able to retrieve a transition, that of a war ship named U.S.M Valor. Expand
  24. Apr 28, 2015
    Great game, full of scares, sound and atmosphere! Got it on Origin for free and was addicted to it after one hour! Got me 2 and 3 too, although the 3rd installation is a bit too heavy on the shooter side. But part one scared the **** out of me. One of the best games around!
  25. Nov 4, 2012
    I loved this game. It is atmospheric, aesthetically stunning, and the combat is fantastic. The sound engine is beautiful, and the music raises the tension dramatically. The one problem with the PC version is the awful AWFUL mouse controls. If you are using a mouse and keyboard, feel free to deduct a 2 or 3 from the score I am giving. I have a wired 360 controller to play with and it is anI loved this game. It is atmospheric, aesthetically stunning, and the combat is fantastic. The sound engine is beautiful, and the music raises the tension dramatically. The one problem with the PC version is the awful AWFUL mouse controls. If you are using a mouse and keyboard, feel free to deduct a 2 or 3 from the score I am giving. I have a wired 360 controller to play with and it is an absolute dream. The game is a stunning achievement regarding the horror franchise and I am happy to recommend it to anyone, with prior warning of the controls. Expand
  26. Jun 30, 2014
    This is a very good action packed game and quite scary at times. Great story, scary monsters, decent weapons, etc. However the controls weren't the best (console port) and the FOV sucked. Before playing the game, be sure to hack the FOV so it's not as nauseating.
  27. Sep 29, 2010
    Dead Space is a classic, reminding me of an Aliens movie style setting and making it very cool & unique. I really loved this game and almost freaked when they indicated that Dead Space 2 may not come to the PC, thank goodness they changed their minds! My only gripe (likely from many others) is the mouse controls were so screwy (did the vsync thing to fix gameplay but then menuDead Space is a classic, reminding me of an Aliens movie style setting and making it very cool & unique. I really loved this game and almost freaked when they indicated that Dead Space 2 may not come to the PC, thank goodness they changed their minds! My only gripe (likely from many others) is the mouse controls were so screwy (did the vsync thing to fix gameplay but then menu interactions sucked). It was EXTREMELY disappointing that EA never issued a patch or seemed to care about the PC version. I honestly hope they show the PC more love in the sequel (I won't be holding my breath). Expand
  28. Jan 12, 2011
    This game was great, to bad it had to end, but a nice twist at the end. If you have played games like resident evil, this game will seem familiar but different. There are times where you will constantly be looking behind you hoping an enemy is not sneaking up behind you and then you let your guard down and bam. Unlike most shooters were you aim and shoot for the head and the enemy is done,This game was great, to bad it had to end, but a nice twist at the end. If you have played games like resident evil, this game will seem familiar but different. There are times where you will constantly be looking behind you hoping an enemy is not sneaking up behind you and then you let your guard down and bam. Unlike most shooters were you aim and shoot for the head and the enemy is done, that's the last thing you want to aim for because the enemy will transform into something more deadlier. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, the constant tension will draw you into the game, the combat is great but can get a lil old toward the end, and the enemy's are great, The character you play may not ever speak a word but he does not need to. I think it's great how they incorporate the health bar on the spine of your character and the ammo count is project on the side of the gun, its nice that hud is simple and does not distract you from whats going on,If your a fan of sci fi movies such as the thing, and alien this is the game for you. There are some draw backs though, eventually you start to figure out where some enemies will spawn, wish there was more enemy types. I wish there were more weapons but the few that are there do an admirable job. There is not much other things to complain about this game, i think, is great. Expand
  29. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all, it’s mandatory to use a PS3 or 360 controller with motioninjoy software to play Dead Space 1. But besides the horrible pc controls, this is the best survival-horror game I've ever played (until Dead Space 2). The story is phenomenal, and has some unpredictable twists, but the gameplay is what really amazed me. It makes a game like Resident Evil 5 (and maybe even 4) look likeFirst of all, it’s mandatory to use a PS3 or 360 controller with motioninjoy software to play Dead Space 1. But besides the horrible pc controls, this is the best survival-horror game I've ever played (until Dead Space 2). The story is phenomenal, and has some unpredictable twists, but the gameplay is what really amazed me. It makes a game like Resident Evil 5 (and maybe even 4) look like garbage. With the correct settings, this game will run at a solid 60 frames per second with no hitching or stuttering. Whoever hasn't played this is missing out on a spectacular gaming experience. Expand
  30. May 4, 2012
    Once you figure out the controls and fix any mouse issue (if any)...this game is well worth it. It sucks you in and the ride is very fun if you like unnerving games with a decent story. Got issues with the movement? Learn how to get comfortable with it or you can join some of the others here who apparently can't get past it and ruin for themselves a very good ride of a game. Not everyoneOnce you figure out the controls and fix any mouse issue (if any)...this game is well worth it. It sucks you in and the ride is very fun if you like unnerving games with a decent story. Got issues with the movement? Learn how to get comfortable with it or you can join some of the others here who apparently can't get past it and ruin for themselves a very good ride of a game. Not everyone can overcome things in their lives, so this port might not be for you. Very replayable. Get it! Expand
  31. Aug 22, 2013
    Received Dead Space as part of the recent Humble Bundle sale. Sometimes in life you're hit with a good thing out of nowhere, and this is the case with Dead Space. It's a great mix between action, survival, and horror. The story is a bit cliche, but the atmosphere makes up for it, led by the visuals and sound cues. The game is very well optimized for PC, with one major flaw vsync locksReceived Dead Space as part of the recent Humble Bundle sale. Sometimes in life you're hit with a good thing out of nowhere, and this is the case with Dead Space. It's a great mix between action, survival, and horror. The story is a bit cliche, but the atmosphere makes up for it, led by the visuals and sound cues. The game is very well optimized for PC, with one major flaw vsync locks the framerate to 30 fps. There is a workaround you must force vsync externally using your driver software or D3DOverrider if you want to use it and maintain 60 FPS. The mouse controlled very well in my limited time using it, with smooth movement and good sensitivity, but I elected to use a 360 controller instead. Very impressed overall... caused me to buy Dead Space 2. Expand
  32. Aug 7, 2011
    Let me put it this way: for a couple of days i could not play this game for more than an hour - so tense and scared it kept my sheety pants! :) Excellent graphics, excellent atmospheric sound, cool upgradable weapons and armour, horrific monsters, and a Classic Sci-Fi / Mysticism story makes this a Must-Have Game!
  33. Nov 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game...has great atmosphere that really sucks you into the game matrix, some interesting variability to the enemies, you have some choices as to weapons...the coolest thing about the game is that you are an engineer and part of the storyline is repairing this huge ship which you have to navigate in order to fix. The controls are a little wonky I will admit. OtherI really enjoyed this game...has great atmosphere that really sucks you into the game matrix, some interesting variability to the enemies, you have some choices as to weapons...the coolest thing about the game is that you are an engineer and part of the storyline is repairing this huge ship which you have to navigate in order to fix. The controls are a little wonky I will admit. Other than that, fantastic game. Expand
  34. Nov 1, 2011
    Pure adreneline pulse pounding jump out of your skin action. Once you get used to the controls game on. This is a must for any gamer. If you love horror even if you hate TPS take it for a ride or you are missing out on a great and satisfying experience. I do wish the story was a bit beefier but what can you do, this game is still one of my favorites
  35. Feb 5, 2012
    Greed game... had some bad moments but overall I loved it. It's more of an action game than a horror game, but the atmosphere still good and it does scare you in a frantic sort of way. PC version is well ported and optimised BUT you should use a controller as tbh the pc controls aren't really up to scratch,
  36. Feb 28, 2012
    Very good atmospheric game at maximum difficulty.
    Really scary. Feels like AvP2 when playing marine.
    One big fail in game is its ending and final boss (game is not needed bosses at all IMHO, but last one is complete dumb).
    Anyway, very good space horror.
    Remember: play it on higher difficulties.
  37. Feb 15, 2013
    This is a must-play for just about everyone. It shows us just how captivating a new environment and world can be. The faceless and speechless protagonist allows you to put yourself in his shoes or allows you to imagine in your mind how he must be reacting to the horrors he witnesses. Either way, you get to explore a creepy derelict ship and uncover bit by bit exactly what happened here andThis is a must-play for just about everyone. It shows us just how captivating a new environment and world can be. The faceless and speechless protagonist allows you to put yourself in his shoes or allows you to imagine in your mind how he must be reacting to the horrors he witnesses. Either way, you get to explore a creepy derelict ship and uncover bit by bit exactly what happened here and what went wrong. The combat mechanics are pretty innovative and the guns are somewhat interesting but what really shines in this game is the slow discovery of an entirely new world. Expand
  38. Mar 6, 2014
    Dead Space is something special. The overall game design is wonderful. The story is great. And the gameplay is incredibly unnerving, and that's what we need. I don't usually like to play 3d person sooter games, but Dead Space has really changed my mind.
  39. Jul 22, 2012
    Just take your damn money and buy this game! At first controls will be hard like driving a fat ass, and maybe you won't **** your pants like you did on Doom 3. But you will have a ball during the 12 chapters. Probably you'll find things which could be better. Rest assured, you will find them improved in Dead Space 2!
    Small range of weapons (I just used the initial weapon throughout the
    Small range of weapons (I just used the initial weapon throughout the whole game) and many limbs to cut off. Gameplay is varied by zero gravity sections and some walk in open space.
    Plot is awesome even when falling in cliches.
  40. Jul 25, 2012
    This game hits the horror pacing wonderfully. Slightly too much lag in the mouse controls for aiming, but once you get used to it, it's fine. If you want to play a fun game, and you want to FEEL what you're playing, turn the lights off, put on some headphones, and get ready to feel it. Oh, I'd start with easy till you get the game down. ;) A friend recently bought me dead space andThis game hits the horror pacing wonderfully. Slightly too much lag in the mouse controls for aiming, but once you get used to it, it's fine. If you want to play a fun game, and you want to FEEL what you're playing, turn the lights off, put on some headphones, and get ready to feel it. Oh, I'd start with easy till you get the game down. ;) A friend recently bought me dead space and dead space 2 from a sale. It's definitely my favorite series now. Expand
  41. May 31, 2013
    This game is tremendous. It has issues running on Windows 7 but some kind soul figured out the correct setting files to fix its issues and posted it on Steam. So aside from that technical issue I can say that:

-Voice acting is solid -Plot and narrative is well constructed -Its quite gore filled and creepy so expect a strong horror vibe and its not for a weak stomach -The weapons

-Voice acting is solid
    -Plot and narrative is well constructed
    -The weapons and game play are FANTASTIC
    -Great opportunities to customize weapons and your suit
    -Incredible sound and graphics

I just can't recommend this game enough if you like shooters that require thinking and wise resource use. Its a challenging game but very well crafted and is so enjoyable to play. I would say to look for it on sale got mine with DS2 for $10. $5 for this game is such a complete steal. If you missed the earlier sale I am sure that Steam will put it on sale again. Would be worth $30 easily as I am 7 chapters in of 12 and have played for 13 hours and expect to play for at least another 10 hours.
  42. Oct 4, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game with great graphics even by 2013 standards and an amazing story as well as terrifying atmosphere. This game is a must have for any fan of horror games.

Only thing stopping this from a 10 is the average console port of the control system and FOV.
  43. Nov 22, 2012
    First of all... This game is all about atmosphere. If you did not like the game because of it's "horrible controls" or some other **** I will just say this one thing: You are doing it wrong. To enjoy "Dead Space" put the difficulty on the highest you can possibly manage (I played on hardest, best feel), get a good headset/speaker set and sit back, relax and get scared. I will admit, theFirst of all... This game is all about atmosphere. If you did not like the game because of it's "horrible controls" or some other **** I will just say this one thing: You are doing it wrong. To enjoy "Dead Space" put the difficulty on the highest you can possibly manage (I played on hardest, best feel), get a good headset/speaker set and sit back, relax and get scared. I will admit, the game did drag a little on the end and sure the controls did take a little getting used to, but after all of this, if you look deep into it's core (like the Resident Evil 4 port to the pc) it's an amazing game. The scares are often great, the atmosphere is dark, grim and the entire feel of the game is just described in two words: "Insanity" and "Loneliness". Just to be clear too, Dead Space 2 is not the same type of game. Dead Space 2 is a 7/10 for me. What they did with Dead Space 2 is that they took everything Dead Space did very, very well... And dulled it down. The feeling of being alone with nobody else around, it's gone in Dead Space 2. The very creepy and dark atmosphere, it's still there, just not that much, instead of being in an "abandoned" space ship you are in Dead Space 2 in one where the outbreak has just started. So my advice is; Pick up Dead Space 1 for all the scary and awesome bits and then get Dead Space 2 for the action.

Expect lots of gory death in Dead Space. Expect to be scared in Dead Space. Expect a memorable story. Expect exactly what it's title says: Dead. Space.
  44. Aug 13, 2013
    Got it in for the steam sale, but been holding off to play it for a long time since im a wimp to scary LOL. but I give it a 9 after playing it for sometime now. I like the mysterious story behind it, never know whats coming next. Graphics are surprisingly good for this first game of the series. Only reason it's not a 10 is because the controls are a bit hard to get use to, like switchingGot it in for the steam sale, but been holding off to play it for a long time since im a wimp to scary LOL. but I give it a 9 after playing it for sometime now. I like the mysterious story behind it, never know whats coming next. Graphics are surprisingly good for this first game of the series. Only reason it's not a 10 is because the controls are a bit hard to get use to, like switching guns is always a dam hassle of getting the right one. Thats the only issue i really had. Really great game though. Expand
  45. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is and should be considered a masterpiece in the Survival Horror genre, Its got an amazing atmosphere that is captured well by the sound and style of the ship. The combat is unique and the graphics have stood the test of time! One of the best things in this game is the backstory, through out the game you pick up audio logs and text logs which explain what happened to the shipsThis game is and should be considered a masterpiece in the Survival Horror genre, Its got an amazing atmosphere that is captured well by the sound and style of the ship. The combat is unique and the graphics have stood the test of time! One of the best things in this game is the backstory, through out the game you pick up audio logs and text logs which explain what happened to the ships crew. There is only one error that I can find with this game and that error is that every weapon apart from your default weapon (Plasma Cutter) is useless!

Everyone is saying this game is a super crappy PC port but the problems they explain are problems I did not run into, it has normal FPS controls and the mouse movement is easy to get used too, I guess the people complaining about the port controls have there own heads up there arses or there dirty console peasants.

If you like Survival Horror games then you are going to really like this!
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    Wonderful game, nice storyline well write, fearful atmosphere very addictive. Realistic phisic and gravity effect. I Love this game except for the impossibility of rebind command but well worth the effort to change our habits binding preferences_ Nice worck guys of Visceral squad!
  47. Apr 8, 2013
    I rate this game at 9.5; it excels in all categories. Although this game was released in '08, the graphics are amazing. This game is Alien (movie), Doom 3, and Resident Evil all wrapped into one.
  48. Oct 4, 2013
    This game is awesome and very scary at the same time, it's claustrophobic, mysterious and tricky. Only thing that I don't like is mouse input lag that I've fixed by plugging in PS3 controller and translating it to X360 controller input using MotionInJoy, I've enjoyed this game very much and I'm giving it 9/10, yes there are some bugs and glitches like graphical, AI logic and some rareThis game is awesome and very scary at the same time, it's claustrophobic, mysterious and tricky. Only thing that I don't like is mouse input lag that I've fixed by plugging in PS3 controller and translating it to X360 controller input using MotionInJoy, I've enjoyed this game very much and I'm giving it 9/10, yes there are some bugs and glitches like graphical, AI logic and some rare path-finding bugs. Expand
  49. May 12, 2013
    Very exciting game! Keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire game! Then when the necromorph pops out you hop back in your seat. While losing your socks in the process just 1 problem, I wish they had multi-player on this one like on the 2nd one. (Well that's just kind of an opinion really) but anyways the sensitivity on here is ridiculous. I have to turn it down to the most possibleVery exciting game! Keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire game! Then when the necromorph pops out you hop back in your seat. While losing your socks in the process just 1 problem, I wish they had multi-player on this one like on the 2nd one. (Well that's just kind of an opinion really) but anyways the sensitivity on here is ridiculous. I have to turn it down to the most possible it can go still it's not enough! Another problem is that it has so much memory required and so the audio cracks up here and there. Just minor problems but that doesn't mean I won't stop playing Expand
  50. May 28, 2013
    This survival horror masterpiece is truly frightening. The space ship that Issac is in feels lonely and certainly creepy, because of the zombie-like enemies that always surprise players in the most quiet moments and in the most uncomfortable situations. This game has a creepy atmosphere, that succeeds creating tension.
    But, what's wrong with this game resulting a score of nine? Well, it's
    But, what's wrong with this game resulting a score of nine? Well, it's the slightly complicated controls, nothing else. Dead Space is an amazing game that I highly recommend, especially for the survival-horror fans.
  51. Jul 26, 2013
    One of the most amazing games I have ever played in my life. Many of the fights left with my jaw dropped wide open because I couldn't believe they just did that in a video game. If you like immersive games, this game is for you. You will forget you are sitting behind a computer monitor and feel as though you are really on the Ishimura. But you have to play it with headphones onOne of the most amazing games I have ever played in my life. Many of the fights left with my jaw dropped wide open because I couldn't believe they just did that in a video game. If you like immersive games, this game is for you. You will forget you are sitting behind a computer monitor and feel as though you are really on the Ishimura. But you have to play it with headphones on and preferably at night. The best thing is, it isn't one of those games that just tries to get you with jump scares. It is genuinely creepy scary, not just jump scenes. The game creeped me out big time and I always could not wait to see what exciting and brilliant thing happened next as I crept through the ship. At first the controls may be a little wacky, but you get used to them very fast. Also spend some time in the options to get your mouse sensitivity and other settings just right. It helps out a lot to be more comfortable. Many felt the second was the better game but many fans feel this was the best in the series. The second one was very much action oriented whereas this one had a good mix of action and immersive gameplay. You can usually get it cheap on steam for $5 at times and I highly suggest picking it up. You will not regret it and it will leave you with one of the most memorable gaming experiences of your life. Expand
  52. Aug 18, 2013
    Definitely one of the better EA games i have played. Runs great on Max-settings, no mouse lag that most seem to complain about, great shooting mechanics and overall game-play. And this is also one of the better PC-ports i have played. I'd recommend to pick this one up as It's more than worth it's current price.
  53. Sep 17, 2013
    This is a true futuristic, space aged version of resident evil. Very graphic, plot driven and extremely scary. This game also has brilliant visuals but it's primary selling point would be the impressive sound design and score, especially during the boss battles. The controls are a bit clunky though.
  54. Apr 4, 2014
    I got this game for free on Origin, and now I understand the hype. I enjoyed the gameplay and the plot is fantastic. There was some confusion with resolution, vsync and sensitivity, as it seems it was not optimized for PC. However, I do think it only takes some time to get used to said sensitivity and change the settings. In my opinion, it doesn't take away much from the game. If DeadI got this game for free on Origin, and now I understand the hype. I enjoyed the gameplay and the plot is fantastic. There was some confusion with resolution, vsync and sensitivity, as it seems it was not optimized for PC. However, I do think it only takes some time to get used to said sensitivity and change the settings. In my opinion, it doesn't take away much from the game. If Dead Space 4 comes out, It's definitely a must for me to buy it. Expand
  55. Oct 17, 2013
    Very high quality product from Electronic Arts. Game developers clearly draws inspiration from the films "Alien" by Ridley Scott and "The Thing" by John Carpenter. The atmosphere is incredible, the first minutes of total immersion in the game world. I do not remember so much in the style of atmospheric Sci-Fi games, can only be the Aliens versus Predators 2. Very interesting design of theVery high quality product from Electronic Arts. Game developers clearly draws inspiration from the films "Alien" by Ridley Scott and "The Thing" by John Carpenter. The atmosphere is incredible, the first minutes of total immersion in the game world. I do not remember so much in the style of atmospheric Sci-Fi games, can only be the Aliens versus Predators 2. Very interesting design of the spacecraft, all very realistic, all in their places. Interesting system upgrades, original weapon. As far as the Necromorphs, I have never been so much fun to dismember, burn and trample into the meat of an aggressive alien biomass. Personally, I was not scared to play, the game is not like horror, but kept in constant tension to the very end of the game. Expand
  56. Jul 4, 2014
    One of those great horror games which keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the game keeping a tense lock on your senses. This is a good example of how horror should be done.
  57. Jul 7, 2014
    Dead Space 1 is definitely the best game in its series. It's as scary as hell (if you know what I mean, although it's not as scary as System Shock 2), it has nice sound, and quality visuals. Also, there two unique features I absolutely do love (and I hope you will, too) in this game: zero-gravity and vacuum.
    Alas, the protagonist doesn't say anything along the game, whereas other people
    Alas, the protagonist doesn't say anything along the game, whereas other people constantly say "Go there, make that," etc. Well, this is not the first game with a dumb hero, so I'm fine with that.
    Bottom line: if you love horror-action games, you should try this one.
  58. May 23, 2014
    It was a breath taking sci-fi horror game. The game left you with only tools that you can found in the ship in order to survive the madness that is happening. Although I'm having little problem with my mouse sensitivity, but soon after get it fixed, the game just run amazingly. Great storyline and atmosphere in this game definitely makes this one of the best horror game.
  59. Apr 6, 2015
    With the exception of some very strange controls, Dead Space succeeds at being a great combination of fun, scares, story, length and replayability. Was a great beginning to a epic series.
  60. Jul 21, 2011
    A cleverly made game, although not as scary as I hoped but I jumped a few times. I see a lot of complaining about the PC port here but I found the game perfectly playable, just some getting used to at first (but it would be better with a wider view). The story is good and contains a few nice twists, the graphics and environment designs are quite nice (I liked the fact that there's noA cleverly made game, although not as scary as I hoped but I jumped a few times. I see a lot of complaining about the PC port here but I found the game perfectly playable, just some getting used to at first (but it would be better with a wider view). The story is good and contains a few nice twists, the graphics and environment designs are quite nice (I liked the fact that there's no hud), and no need of a super computer. I liked the "no gravity" gameplay, but it can get really confusing as to finding the ground again and since you don't have a wide view (which is okay in small corridors) it is difficult to spot enemies. I found the objective track clever and very useful as it allows you to know exactly where to go. Being able to upgrade your equipment as you wish and to dispose your inventory as you see fit is quite nice. There's about 12 chapters in the game that takes around 1h to complete each.
    So all in all, it's not the best game of all time nor is it a very innovative one but it is well achieved and worth playing.
  61. Jan 6, 2011
    This game is and will always be for a specific niche. I own it on the xbox and the PC (friends can be generous) I definitely think the console is the way to go just due to the use of 2 sticks rather then a mouse. however I have seen so many complaints about mouse lag, if you experience mouse lag you disable vsync. the game was made for the console but its still quite playable on the PC.This game is and will always be for a specific niche. I own it on the xbox and the PC (friends can be generous) I definitely think the console is the way to go just due to the use of 2 sticks rather then a mouse. however I have seen so many complaints about mouse lag, if you experience mouse lag you disable vsync. the game was made for the console but its still quite playable on the PC. many people will find the games psychological story to be much better then the horror side of it. games today have come to be dumbed down versions in not just controls but story as well. seeing that dead space has a rich lore and history was a nice fresh experience. most of the ships and characters armor are very gothic in styling, while weapons are all improvised from a mining ship. damn good game, scary credits Expand
  62. May 9, 2011
    Dead Space is a fun horror scifi game where alien meets fear meets a bit of mass effect. While it does have some flaws there is plenty of fun to be had here. The PC port is rather bad comparatively. For all the users who have given the game a 0 or low score due to the established issues with this port (spinning camera, laggy mouse movement, Windows cursor appearing ingame) try using googleDead Space is a fun horror scifi game where alien meets fear meets a bit of mass effect. While it does have some flaws there is plenty of fun to be had here. The PC port is rather bad comparatively. For all the users who have given the game a 0 or low score due to the established issues with this port (spinning camera, laggy mouse movement, Windows cursor appearing ingame) try using google and your brain. It would make me respect you more then watching the froth come out of your mouths. I am sorry you wasted your money but here is a secret... it's not wasted if you fix what's wrong. I had every one of those issues and solved them all with about 5 minutes of online research. That being said, yes... EA loses rep for such a bad port. But with everything working well the game is scary, fun, pretty to look at with all graphics cranked up to High, ambient occlusion turned on @ 1920 x 1200 rez. My PC is no beast and it handles this game extremely well.

I am not a huge fan of horror games but I am enjoying the atmosphere and the gameplay very much. It says a lot when I turn the lights off and play in the dark when I sit down to run thru some Dead Space. You will have fun providing you can work through the aforementioned bugs in this PC port. It may not be fun to do but it's not hard either, take the time and you will be rewarded with a better experience then the console because, despite what people say... any fps game will be served much better by using a mouse/keyboard then a controller. Even this one, which is obviously riding the line with it's 3rd person view. Overall a good solid game experience. 1 point off for the bad port.
  63. Jul 6, 2013
    A (minor?) modern classic, reminds of System Shock and the original Resident Evil with a neat narrative thrown in. Sound and visual design is excellent and gameplay is sufficiently nerve-wracking at times thanks to the claustrophobic, over-the-shoulder 3rd person view and unintentionally unresponsive mouse controls.
  64. Oct 21, 2011
    Dead Space is a good action game. It has a thrilling atmosphere even though it isn't so scary as I supposed it to be. Also dismembering large packs of grotesque monsters is very rewarding. Main drawbacks are controls (you can't use arrow keys to move e.g.) and mouse movement is unwieldy.
  65. Sep 16, 2011
    Tight tunels. Weak weapon in your hand. Horrible creatures above and below you. yes, Dead Space, despite of predictable horror tricks, shows, how modern survival horrors looks like.
  66. Nov 5, 2011
    I've had a pretty good time with this game, although it's got it's flaws, for the most part it is so well executed they are entirely forgiven.

First things first, there are a few minor technical issues, seemingly more of an issue for some users than they were for me. Sure enough, a common problem with many console ports it seems is V-Sync related mouse lag, a real party pooper. I had it with Deus Ex Human Revolution (just used a 360 controller instead, no lag there) and sure enough I had it with Dead Space, however disabling V-Sync removed the lag and boosted the framerate quite significantly. There are a few jagged edges (the game doesn't allow variable anti-aliasing settings) but it still looks better than it does on the consoles, so I won't complain.

Technical issues aside, there are some interesting 'tributes' to a certain 1999 classic, System Shock 2. Aside from the obvious setting similarities, and occasional gameplay comparisons that could be made, there are very significant parts of plot that are basically lifted from that older game (an entire mission on the hydroponics deck is basically the same as it appears in SS2), which isn't any great sin, but it's indicative of a generally derivative tone for the bulk of the game. The monsters are largely a mixture between the creature effects from John Carpenters film 'The Thing', and the Los Ganados from Resident Evil 4. Again, nothing terribly wrong with this, they are imaginatively rendered and truly gruesome, but still, not particularly original.

The games visuals are stunningly realised, the game is simply gorgeous. The atmosphere is unrelentingly pressurised, making the game deeply tense throughout, with many scares of the typically jumpy variety underpinned by genuine discomfort. The sound design is superb, with a cacophany of terrible screams, moans, rumblings and sounds of all things liquid bursting, popping and spilling everywhere. The weapons, though there are few of them, feel suitably powerful and quite capable all of them at dismembering enemies - though some rather rough physics tends to make body parts and other objects sort of flop and roll around quite comically, the high volume of blood and accompanying squishy noises tends to nullify any distraction this might cause.

The game is a reasonable length, though not particularly long, and reasonably challenging on 'Normal' difficulty, though the learning curve is somewhat steep at the beginning (prepare to die often for the first hour or two), it balances out and eventually becomes perhaps a little easy once you get the hang of managing your weapons and ammunition properly.

Items are at first quite sparse, and upgrades (via 'power nodes') are a slow but sure process for weapons and your suit armour, but later in the game, when weapons are powered up, less ammunition is needed, and so you tend to end up with an abundance of it in my experience. There is something of an imbalance, but it is not dreadful - after all, despite the game becoming less plainly difficult, there are many sections that will still get your adrenaline pounding as some truly horrific creatures come bounding towards you, eyes-a-glowing.

So, a fun game, with some niggly flaws but on the whole there is little that could actually be described as being 'bad' about the game, but it could be more original and there is room for improvement - of which, so far, Dead Space 2 has in some ways definitely fixed, but there are other things that the first game gets right that the sequel does not (I'm past the half-way point already with DS2 after only maybe three or four hours worth - this game is definitely going to be over quickly, whereas DS1 is slower paced and more tense).

A very good game, but perhaps not quite original enough to be a true classic.
  67. Oct 28, 2011
    When I first picked up this game I faced similar issues as many other players on the PC platform. As I booted up the campaign and got approximately 4 minutes into the game I began to ask myself, "what sort of mad drunken sailor came up with the controls?" Even with rebinding I found myself wobbling down corridors and frequently pressing keys I'd always attributed as safety keys becoming aWhen I first picked up this game I faced similar issues as many other players on the PC platform. As I booted up the campaign and got approximately 4 minutes into the game I began to ask myself, "what sort of mad drunken sailor came up with the controls?" Even with rebinding I found myself wobbling down corridors and frequently pressing keys I'd always attributed as safety keys becoming a pain as Isaac would end up trying to force pull a necromorph towards me. Also as an aside, what sort of game outside of strict RPGs doesn't allow you to jump?! But putting my initial frustrations aside I will say this, Deadspace delivers on the scare while keeping things entertaining enough to mask the generally linear game play. In my first go around of play I found out very early on that ammo and health become a rarity into the later levels and a restart later saw me utilizing the vault much more frequently in the stores to store precious ammo and other goodies for later undertakings. I found that the story-line was very compelling and the few plot twists late in the game, while potentially obvious to somebody more intuitive than myself, were quite welcome and enjoyable in a gaming scene where you can usually see conclusions coming a mile away. The range of weapons was quite good and while I chose not to use them due to the randomization of ammo drops based on your arsenal, I found there were multiple ways to dismember and destroy. Overall once you can get used to the awkward controls (I'd recommend going through the first level on easy to get yourself settled then restarting on a harder difficulty) the story line is interesting enough to keep you playing, the puzzles are just difficult enough for interest but not so hard that you're pulling your hair out trying to figure out what to do, and the game play (controls aside) is a good mix of fright and fight to keep you on your toes. Honestly, I was so curious to find out what happened to Isaac at the end of the first game that I had to go out and buy the second one! Generally a good game for the horror/sci-fi fans out there and the control issues were greatly improved for #2. Expand
  68. Nov 1, 2012
    Im writing this review as of nov 1st 2012. From my experience, its a good game, fun, nice upgrade system. The only problem i have is that the first gun you get is pretty much the best for the rest of the game, for a fps fan this isnt cool....storys like a doom 3, characters are fine, voice overs are ok, nothing special. Its scary for the first 10 mins you play, untill you realize how easyIm writing this review as of nov 1st 2012. From my experience, its a good game, fun, nice upgrade system. The only problem i have is that the first gun you get is pretty much the best for the rest of the game, for a fps fan this isnt cool....storys like a doom 3, characters are fine, voice overs are ok, nothing special. Its scary for the first 10 mins you play, untill you realize how easy it is to kill anything that comes your way. I played in normal difficulty, and it was quite easy, plenty of ammo, you should be upgraded fully by chaper 7 which doesnt take long aslong as you only upgrade 1 gun, the first gun, which is the best but otherwise, graphics were good, gameplay good (i hear people had problems with this pc port, i didnt so no comment on that) anyways, all in all it was a fun, was a well done game, id reccomend it to anyone who likes horror fps....The fact that the first gun u get is the best ( yes i tryed them all ) kinda ruined the fps factor for me, but it was still fun. Oh and some said the hude character in the screen blocks everything, its true for the first bit, but after a few hours you dont even pay attention to it and its a fps, atleast i thought so. Expand
  69. Oct 27, 2013
    Great survival space horror with some genuinely tense moments. It may be a console port but the UI and controls are intuitive enough for it to not matter.
  70. Jan 4, 2012
    When I first started playing the game the controls seemed a bit off. It had a noticeable delay. I made some tweaks to the sensitivity, but it didn't really fix it much. It was kinda of annoying for a while, but after the first 2 chapters I got used to it. Aside from the controls, the game was glorious. The detail in the levels and aliens were astounding. They didn't skimp on anything itWhen I first started playing the game the controls seemed a bit off. It had a noticeable delay. I made some tweaks to the sensitivity, but it didn't really fix it much. It was kinda of annoying for a while, but after the first 2 chapters I got used to it. Aside from the controls, the game was glorious. The detail in the levels and aliens were astounding. They didn't skimp on anything it seemed. The cinematic sequences were so well done. I loved dieing just so i could watch the aliens nom my face off. No 2 deaths were the same. This game also has a very high fear factor. It keeps you on edge the whole game. You never know whats gunna pop around that corner. If you can overlook the the slightly laggy controls, you'll definitely be able to enjoy this game. Expand
  71. Mar 18, 2012
    Dead Space was really one of the best games that survivor horror that i have played in my life, and a game where you have things that you do not hold and scenes extremely macabre, where is completely player, incredible graphics and the gameplay too, I recommend.
  72. Jun 22, 2012
    DeadSpace1 (PC Version) is a great game, not as good as DS2, because of the gaming control. Watching left and right is not as sensitive as up and down, I wasn't able to fix this. The "console" feeling doesn't matter at all. Overall you have an interesting story and many shocking events. If you like the movie "Event Horizon" you will love Dead Space!
  73. Dec 22, 2012
    Really, really good. Dead Space. That's such a name, isn't it? The game, once opened up, has a very tense menu, then, the introduction is intense too, showing off beautiful shading, and polygonal detail. There are hundreds of models, from cables on the walls, benches and Pipes, to little paper cups, this game has the detail of a real architectural design. The sound design is fantastic, asReally, really good. Dead Space. That's such a name, isn't it? The game, once opened up, has a very tense menu, then, the introduction is intense too, showing off beautiful shading, and polygonal detail. There are hundreds of models, from cables on the walls, benches and Pipes, to little paper cups, this game has the detail of a real architectural design. The sound design is fantastic, as you hear echoey chiming and something scratching in the walls, and the graphics are quite well shaded, but once a light gets too bright on a texture or something small, it looks... watercoloury... The game is intense, gut wrenching and addictive, however feeling slightly stiff. The game is only slightly short, but secrets make you play again and again. :D Smile! Expand
  74. Feb 3, 2013
    I usually don't like survival horror games like resident evil or silent hill but dead space was probably one of the most tense and enjoyable games I've played in a long time. It has such an amazing atmosphere that sucks you in with fantastic sound design which can scare you just as much as the horrifying monsters. The gun play is great as it limits you with scarce ammo but is rarelyI usually don't like survival horror games like resident evil or silent hill but dead space was probably one of the most tense and enjoyable games I've played in a long time. It has such an amazing atmosphere that sucks you in with fantastic sound design which can scare you just as much as the horrifying monsters. The gun play is great as it limits you with scarce ammo but is rarely frustrating. The main problem that stops me from giving this game a nine or ten is that late in the game the game starts to lose its creepy atmosphere and starts to focus on combat which leads to some frustrations as fighting large groups is awkward. Overall though the game is insanely atmospheric and the world sucks you in and proceeds to frighten the crap out of you. I'd say this and its sequel are the best horror games on modern consoles possibly ever! Expand
  75. Feb 6, 2013
    The original and the best. Better than Dead Space 2 and 3. This is the scariest game in the series. The dark and gloomy atmosphere aboard a ship in space which has been overrun with infected creatures causes me to become stressed when I'm playing but in a good way. I had to scrounge around for ammo and medkits because resources are scarce. Great game still today. Highly recommended if youThe original and the best. Better than Dead Space 2 and 3. This is the scariest game in the series. The dark and gloomy atmosphere aboard a ship in space which has been overrun with infected creatures causes me to become stressed when I'm playing but in a good way. I had to scrounge around for ammo and medkits because resources are scarce. Great game still today. Highly recommended if you seek a game with a tense atmosphere, soundtrack and premise. 8/10 Expand
  76. Jun 10, 2014
    Dead Space is definitely a true horror game, one that (really, really) leaves you on the edge of your seat. However, this game suffers from linearity, unfortunately. The story-telling is otherwise superb.
  77. Jul 6, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Pretty nice but some times clunky especially the corpses of the dead some may get stuck on a wall Sound: Very good also the voice acting is great Story: Solid but sometimes players might get lost in it but everything gets clear in the end Game play: Great but could have been just a little bet better as sometimes the player might feel
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Sound:
    Very good also the voice acting is great
    Story:
    Game play:
    Great but could have been just a little bet better as sometimes the player might feel that his or her enemies is way powerful and sometimes survival gets very tough
    Overall Dead space as a fine third person shooter game but it just needed a little twist
  78. Aug 21, 2013
    From the very beginning of the game, Dead Space is one giant thrill ride. The game play is fresh (killing stuff with mining equipment is just too cool) and some of the disturbing images will stay with you for a while. The horror aspect is top notch leaving the thought in your mind that you are never safe while giving the actual encounters a special degree of unpredictability. Graphics areFrom the very beginning of the game, Dead Space is one giant thrill ride. The game play is fresh (killing stuff with mining equipment is just too cool) and some of the disturbing images will stay with you for a while. The horror aspect is top notch leaving the thought in your mind that you are never safe while giving the actual encounters a special degree of unpredictability. Graphics are great, controls work fine, but it does get a little tiring seeing the same sections of the ship over and over. Dead Space is a solid 8, maybe a 9 if the combat was a little better. Expand
  79. Nov 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game and this is coming from a person that dislikes horror stuff. The controls are horrible, but I guess it does add to the panic your going to be facing in this game. I haven't experienced any bugs really. I did not like the map interface, and just avoided using it. Luckily the game has a feature called a breadcrumb pathway to show you the way. Upgrading your weaponI really enjoyed the game and this is coming from a person that dislikes horror stuff. The controls are horrible, but I guess it does add to the panic your going to be facing in this game. I haven't experienced any bugs really. I did not like the map interface, and just avoided using it. Luckily the game has a feature called a breadcrumb pathway to show you the way. Upgrading your weapon and upgrading your suit feels really satisfying knowing that your much more prepared to fight whats ahead. Expand
  80. Jan 22, 2014
    Un juego con toques de survival horror en el que estar solo en el espacio y con una ambientación siniestra y lúgubre ayuda a que te metas de lleno en el juego y su trama, lo recomiendo si te gusta los juegos de mezcla terror/shooter. Jugabilidad buena Los graficos tambien son buenos y el sonido con toques siniestros le da un buen punto al juego, de todas maneras deja que desear bastante yUn juego con toques de survival horror en el que estar solo en el espacio y con una ambientación siniestra y lúgubre ayuda a que te metas de lleno en el juego y su trama, lo recomiendo si te gusta los juegos de mezcla terror/shooter. Jugabilidad buena Los graficos tambien son buenos y el sonido con toques siniestros le da un buen punto al juego, de todas maneras deja que desear bastante y se te puede hacer repetitivo. Expand
  81. Jan 5, 2014
    One of the best horror games out there with disturbingly brutal environments, fear-provoking action and a story-line which stays interesting to the end. However, the controls are not the best I've seen, and the movements and sensitivity feels too "floaty".
  82. Apr 6, 2014
    This is a good game, but not always scary as they say, are more instant scares.

Graphics: Because the truth esque 2008 are great.
    Gameplay: Very comfortable to play, but third-person shooter is not always great.
    Multiplayer: None,
    Duration: You will spend it within 10 hours.
  83. Feb 28, 2015
    Good game, a lot of stress . We hesitate to each corridor corners . the scenario is crazy but we want to understand why.
    Excellent horror games in space and yet I am not too ammateur the genre.
  84. May 28, 2011
    Your player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than theYour player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than the Resident Evil games, and it could buy and sells things with the ATM sized store. A bit scary but not too scary. It's the limited view angles close up to the back of the player stressed me or what has scared the hell out of other players, but once I learnt how to turning side to side in the door to get a pre-peek in the next room, it's no more stress, all I've to do is to sprint through the room to the next door & quickly looked back, should never stay too close to a wall, 'cos that limited even more viewing angles. Either the free-look speed is too fast or the gun's aim-look is too slow, either way I can't have both, I tried them with 2 mouse, 1 of them proved that the max look speed is about 50% too slow, as the other mouse is a real fast one & that make the look speed too fast and the shooting view just right. Pick-uppable inventory items on the ground has pop-up signs too big & too tall, blocking shooting-views from time to time when I stands near them, as most of them are near the walls. I wished the signs were made shorter and small just enough to tell me where the pick-uppable items are. The multiple items all in one place should be shown with small icons lining up the top of the HUD/screen like Windows' taskbar, each showing number of 1 to 9 & small icons, so to choose which item to pick-up it's to press the hot keys of like Shift + 1, they won't do that because this game originated from a console, & TV screens are too old & poor reso for smaller icons shown clearly on top of the screen. It's not worth the PC port as they don't want to put any more works into it. This game is rather short, replaying it is unlikely for me. The graphic is very good for a console game. I think they should be making a Windows than a game as they've put too much worked into the inventory and many extra capabilities of the play in the place where there should be leaning left/right, crouch and jump. Well, if you've played BF2, then you should know how much "MS Work" they've done for a game. Expand
  85. Oct 21, 2011
    A triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually wantA triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually want to escape the damn place. So I managed to finish it and just about got my money's worth. I cannot envisage a scenario whereby I'd ever play it again and would only recommend it to horror maniacs who have no more than £10 to spare and nothing better to do. Expand
  86. May 12, 2012
    I'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up everyI'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up every now and again and there is an intense atmosphere present, but I won't say that the game is over the top terrifying or anything. In fact it feels more like an action shooter than a horror game. Perhaps the thing that I liked the most about Dead Space is its very unique weapons which you use to kill the monsters with, weapons such as the Line Gun, that shoots a thin slice of energy to cut monsters' limbs off; the Ripper, that brings out a rapidly spinning saw disk to propel through anyone who comes too close; the Force Gun, that shoots a powerful close-ranged shockwave that knocks everything out of its way, and some others. The game also utilises some RPG elements, in that you get to pick up special power nodes throughout the missions and then you get to use the futuristic work bench to use these nodes to make your weapons and armor suit stronger. So I'd say these are the major strengths of the game - unique guns, some RPG elements, intense atmosphere. There is a bit of a story as well, but it sort of always stays on the background. Lastly I'll just mention that I came across two in-game bugs which forced me to have to reload from a previous save point, and that was only in a single playthrough and was sort of annoying. And another slightly annoying thing was that some of the puzzles were a bit too bland. From what I've heard, Dead Space 2 is supposed to be better, so I hope they've fixed some of this game's shortcomings. Expand
  87. Jul 5, 2011
    this game scared the **** out of me and I don't scare easily it really reminded my of the alien anomaly in the movie Thing. The story in this game is short though i still enjoyed it, Graphics are great, Weapons are nothing like I have ever seen, mechanics are simply and did i mention i almost crapped my pants playing this game, its really freaky really, don't play this game if you havethis game scared the **** out of me and I don't scare easily it really reminded my of the alien anomaly in the movie Thing. The story in this game is short though i still enjoyed it, Graphics are great, Weapons are nothing like I have ever seen, mechanics are simply and did i mention i almost crapped my pants playing this game, its really freaky really, don't play this game if you have heart conditions. Expand
  88. Jul 25, 2012
    I remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put togetherI remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put together and I'm sure gore-hounds will probably love the frequent dismemberment and violence. The combat is quite satisfying and the upgrade system feels fluid. However, being a console port, Dead Space is not well-optimised for the mouse & keyboard, with a weirdly floaty mouse and disjointed sensitivity. The biggest problem I have with Dead Space though, besides the controls, is that it's not even that scary: gory yes, plenty of it, but only the first 10 minutes were genuinely terrifying for me. Once you get your mittens on the weapons though, the game just becomes a series of action sequences with occasional padding and tedious repetition. The game just lacks any form of subtlety; the monsters will eagerly display themselves at every opportunity, bringing an orchestral jump every time they appear. Even after a glitch making the difficulty to jump from Easy (don't judge me) to Medium, the weapons are quite overpowered and the levels start to stretch themselves. So in conclusion, Dead Space is a Survival Horror game that slipped up over the whole horror aspect, so it's essentially just a survival action game. Just to be clear though, Dead Space is not a bad game at all; it looks great, sounds great and is still quite entertaining. A popcorn game I'd say, if you're looking for proper survival horror then Google "Slender"; if that doesn't scare you, nothing will. Expand
  89. Jan 20, 2012
    I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths,I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths, weapon slots and upgrade choices etc etc. They should have had more normal looking areas to contrast with other places covered with blood and guts. Come on, we are not all bloodthirsty animals here..bit over the top for violence but nonetheless well designed and still entertaining. The biggest flaw I felt was the total linear gameplay when given a choice of open tasks and ability to travel freely around levels would have been far better. That bird crumb direction indicator made it too easy actually and should have been some level of respawning to keep it interesting - ie like System Shock 2. Also I didnt appreciate the crap controls with PC on the keyboard - really sucked but with saying all that was worth 75% in my mind. If you dont like too much violence or gore then give it a miss. Expand
  90. Jan 7, 2012
    At first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed theAt first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed the weapons. I would have liked Isaac, the main dude, to have a bit more of a character. He didnt really talk...like....ever. Overall: weak story, not scary, slightly clunky controls, awesome weapons and action, good graphics. Overall, above average, but not amazing. Oh, and would it have killed them to put in a quick turn ability! I hope Im not just a noob and never figured out how to do it. Expand
  91. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'This is not the best FPS horror game ever, but it does have nice atmosphere, weapons and shooting model and graphics. I probably won't forget the moment, when the first corpse surprisingly jumped at me. Sadly enough the scary moments get stereotypical and soon enough you will find yourself expecting most of them before they actually happen. Still, overall feeling of the game is nice and I had a pleasure playing it, which doesn't happen too often lately, at least not with new production.

Just a note for people, who didn't play yet. You can actually destroy the green boxes on the ground, I have added new level of difficulty to my game by not knowing that leaving me short on ammo most of the game. I found it out pretty close to the end of game when I accidentally shot into one of those. =)
  92. Dec 11, 2012
    Plays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energyPlays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energy are on your back with ammo on your gun. The only problems with it are port issues (you need to disable v-sync to use a mouse properly), the funneled levels, and a general lack of difficulty. Expand
  93. Dec 10, 2014
    The game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can getThe game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can get past that the game is as I said fantastic. Expand
  94. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Dead frustrating

Dead frustrating

Okay, let’s get the bad out of the way first. The controls for the PC version of this otherwise good game are the worst I have ever encountered. I won’t go into detail but they’re so awkward they almost spoiled the game for me. Almost. (There are also some truly annoying problems with camera and viewpoint angles, but don’t get me started on that!) But what about the good? DEAD SPACE succeeds, despite the aforementioned problems, mainly because it oozes atmosphere. This is a very claustrophobic game that sucks you in and really does induce anxiety. You will jump many times, trust me. The story is okay, within the usual limitations of such games, the voice acting is uniformly convincing, and the graphics are good but not outstanding. Where this game excels is in the way it draws you in; immerses you in it’s dark atmosphere. This is a game that makes your palms sweat, which is exactly what it’s supposed to do.
  95. Mar 31, 2014
    Let’s get straight to the point, Dead Space is NOT a good PC port. It suffers from all the symptoms: Low rez textures, Low FOV, frame cap at 30 fps (with v-sync on) and terrible….TERRIBLE controls.
    The Mouse and keyboard controls are half broken: The mouse in particular, if you enable v-sync the mouse will become extremely unresponsive and laggy. However, If you disable v-sync, and crank up the mouse sensitivity and mouse DPI to the max, you might end up with half usable controls, but the caveat is, a bit of screen tearing. But even if you do that, the mouse will still behave in a sluggish manner, especially when switching to aim mode.
    The keyboard controls aren’t better also, sometimes the game will dismiss key inputs for no apparent reason, and the keymaping is also badly conceived.
    In resume, if you don’t have a gamepad, prepare to die… a lot, especially on the Boss fights, or when the game decides to throw hordes of necromorfs, at you, from all sides!
    Don’t get me wrong, this game is NOT difficult, not even on hard mode, what makes it difficult is the terrible controls.
    The other thing about this game is that it’s not a real survival/horror game, It tries to, really hard actually, but the problem is, survival horror is not about jump scares, but about building tension, and playing with your expectation. And this game rarely does that successfully; it overuses jumps scares too much, it’s too predictable at times and a bit cheesy in the gore department, and in the survival department, let’s just say you will rarely die from lack of ammo or med packs.
    However, Visceral did one thing really well: the sound design.
    The Story, is a Cross between Aliens and Resident Evil, in other words, a System Shock clone but without SHODAN :-(. The Story is not bad, but it’s a bit too cliché for my taste.
    The game is also a bit buggy, for example if you play on hard mode and reload a save by pressing continue on the main menu, the game will reset the difficulty to medium.
    So, is it a bad game? In my opinion, If you approach it like an Action/Horror third person shooter game, HELL NO, just don’t play it with mouse and keyboard.
  96. Jan 5, 2014
    Beware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation ifBeware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation if so and that is the best comparison I can draw. This isn't really a survival horror game but it certainly has the atmosphere and enemies of one. If you like third person shooters this is a unique one that is worth your interest. I played this game and its sequel from beginning to end and after completion I was ready to go back through it again on a harder difficulty. If you are concerned that this may be too hard for you don't be it has a decent set of difficulty modes and checkpoint system so will be able to get into it and enjoy it all the way through. However the checkpoint system is also a complaint for me on the harder settings as you never really feel punished for failure which is what a good horror game does.
    It's rare that I start and do not stop playing a game and this was one of them, if you think this game may be for you go for it, it is cheaply available by now and will not disappoint.
  97. Apr 6, 2014
    It's a pretty good game. Why'd I give it a 7? If you're like me, then i guess you like games that center your character, or have a feature here there's a quick turn. Through out the WHOLE game I struggled with trying to see the enemy. And in the elevators? That was absolutely hell trying to just LOOK OUT THE DOOR.
  98. May 28, 2014
    I am not a big shooter fan but every now and then I like to take a detour and play a shooter when I don't want to use my brain. Note 1st that I only play the campaign so my review does not cover PvP. Dead Space is a good shooter although somewhat limited in design but then again almost every new shooter is in its first incarnation. I played the game on the PC and had no issues with theI am not a big shooter fan but every now and then I like to take a detour and play a shooter when I don't want to use my brain. Note 1st that I only play the campaign so my review does not cover PvP. Dead Space is a good shooter although somewhat limited in design but then again almost every new shooter is in its first incarnation. I played the game on the PC and had no issues with the install. I didnt even bother to update the game since it was working fine out of the box. Controls are intuitive except for the slow turn speed while aiming your gun. A few in game mouse adjustments and the problem was solved within acceptable tolerance. The only other issue I ran into is when you grab an item with telekinesis and run up to a wall with the item floating in front of you. This causes the camera to spin 90 to 180 degrees, and if you are in combat it can be disorienting. This however, was a very minor issue because once you realize that it only happens on wall collisions you simply stop running into walls... why you would run into a wall during combat is beyond my understanding but as long you stop doing that it is no longer an issue. I played the entire game without the camera spin being a problem after the 1st time I experienced and analyzed the issue. This problem is insanely over dramatized by reviewers here (grow up people).

The Good :: The game does a lot of basic FPS stuff well like area specific damage, dismemberment as a part of strategy rather than just aesthetics, very interesting weapons each with their own unique advantage and disadvantage, an actual inventory system (not used to seeing this in FPS and I like it), an upgrade system for your guns, armor and abilities (almost like an RPG lite), and decent graphics and sound.

The Bad :: Game design is good but its repetitive. Then again, shooters are basically all very repetitive and that is why it is not my favorite genre of games. You will quickly note that graphics are re-used in every chapter of the game and the enemy variety is actually fairly low with only about 6 different enemy types and a few bosses. Guns and abilities are also limited to only about 8 total (6 guns and two abilities) and although they are interesting, I would like to have seen even more but then again I am an RPG guy so anything less than 20 would probably be boring to me.

The So So :: The story is cheesy and has been done to death and back but again, this is coming from a RPG gamer who puts a lot more weight into story than others. The game is supposed to be a horror survival... I personally did not find it scary in the least. They do include a lot of sudden attacks that just surprise you and enemies are designed and animated in a way that makes them awkward (like a horror movie) but at no time was I scared of an enemy once I noticed it. In fact, I found myself running towards enemies fairly often especially the baby aliens. The only time I ran away from enemies is when the small swarming things attacked in large numbers and that is only because I couldnt shoot them fast enough. The game is not that scary. I remember being more on edge playing FEAR although even that was not really all that scary. Then again I think movies like The Grudge are comedies...

Overall a good game.
  99. Jul 3, 2014
    Pretty good game that screams bad console port. The controls for this game are really bad as many of the reviews here indicate. The issue is that the developers mapped analog stick controls for pc play so when you are moving your mouse it's like using a poorly optimized analog stick. Precise movements are impossible with the mouse. A solution to this is disabling v-sync in game and forcingPretty good game that screams bad console port. The controls for this game are really bad as many of the reviews here indicate. The issue is that the developers mapped analog stick controls for pc play so when you are moving your mouse it's like using a poorly optimized analog stick. Precise movements are impossible with the mouse. A solution to this is disabling v-sync in game and forcing it via your graphics card and jacking up mouse sensitivity. I don't know how effective this is because I gave up on the mouse and decided to use a gamepad. Anyway, with a controller this game functions fine. I recommend anyone who gets this game for the PC to first consider using a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Honestly, using the mouse ruined the experience I had in the earlier chapters.

Now for the game itself. It's pretty good with an interesting story. You play an engineer named Isaac who is trying to escape an infested ship called Ishimura. The atmosphere of the game is great. It's the best aspect of the game. Everything from the music, sound effects, and setting creates this dark and isolated atmosphere. While the game isn't necessarily piss your pants scary it does create some very tense moments. I think people need to keep this in mind before playing the game. Highly recommend if you are into these types of games. 7.5/10
  100. Jul 9, 2014
    I really dont understand why critics like this game so much, its not that good. Controls are awkward until you dont get used to it, shooting is alright but what I really hate is that Isac is moving like a slug when aiming! Storyline is alright, linear, and the graphics are nice. Killing those thins is allot of fun, but the game is not scary for a horror game, its predictable, oh and IfI really dont understand why critics like this game so much, its not that good. Controls are awkward until you dont get used to it, shooting is alright but what I really hate is that Isac is moving like a slug when aiming! Storyline is alright, linear, and the graphics are nice. Killing those thins is allot of fun, but the game is not scary for a horror game, its predictable, oh and If that thing appears behind your back, you are **** you need a century to turn around and scan the area! Expand

1. This is a highly recommended game for science fiction and survival horror fans, with its claustrophobic atmosphere and horrible creatures.
  2. Overall, Dead Space is an extraordinary game with tons of shock value and action to whet any fan's appetite for some time, and with a campaign that lasts a steady 10-12 hours, that’s plenty of time to get lost aboard the Ishimura.
  3. Dead Space is a potentially great game that's hamstrung by an attempt to completely ape a console controller with a mouse and keyboard. [Dec 2008, p.58]