Dear Esther PC

6.5

1. Jul 15, 2013
    Dear Esther certainly has a different way of telling story in a video game, which is probably the cause of the many mixed reviews, but for someone who is ready to experience something different and truly immersive, it's an indie game that is well worth the money. The main draw to the game is the beautifully crafted levels and mountain vistas that were all somehow achieved in Source; a gameDear Esther certainly has a different way of telling story in a video game, which is probably the cause of the many mixed reviews, but for someone who is ready to experience something different and truly immersive, it's an indie game that is well worth the money. The main draw to the game is the beautifully crafted levels and mountain vistas that were all somehow achieved in Source; a game engine that is quickly becoming dated and doesn't handle open environments very well. Despite the technical limitations, the art assets are nothing less than spectacular at a great performance rate and compliment the many mysteries and often eerie situations that the narrative invokes. Many times I found myself stopping to admire the environments and many details that make up the whole game experience. It would also be a shame not to commend the game for its soundtrack, as it has a very mesmerizing quality to it and adds to the overall atmosphere of the game beautifully. Expand
  2. Jun 6, 2013
    It's a great experience, yes, an experience more then a video game. It has one of the best soundtracks and sceneries in any computer generated "things". A bit short but replayable. Definitely a must buy with a sale or in a bundle. 9/10
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    Oh wow. Dear Esther was really a delicious treat for anybody who likes philosophical games and the likes. The game features many many clues and possibilities, you, as the player, must construct your own version of what happened. I must admit I was going to give this game a 7, but, it just stuck with me, I couldn't stop thinking about it for about thirty minutes.
    I checked other people's
    I checked other people's thoughts and possible endings and my own version was suddenly there, it made the game SO much better and profound. I got this game along with a bunch of other indie games for a dollar on "Humble-bundle" and man, it was so worth it. This game is seriously superb, you might not catch it at first though, let it sink in, it's worth the wait.

Warning: This game appeals to a very specific audience of people who appreciate games that are as artfully and skillfully crafted as this one, if you're the casual "Hack & Slash" PC gamer (nothing wrong there, I enjoy those too occasionally), don't play this game as you might be disapointed.
  4. Aug 10, 2013
    I have to agree that this is not a game, and I was frustrated at first because I was expecting something more along the lines of a horror adventure game. When I started playing I was waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did, the main character kept telling the story, it was until halfway through the second chapter that I realized that I was not playing a game. I wasI have to agree that this is not a game, and I was frustrated at first because I was expecting something more along the lines of a horror adventure game. When I started playing I was waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did, the main character kept telling the story, it was until halfway through the second chapter that I realized that I was not playing a game. I was experiencing a retold tale, everything was symbolic in some way to the story your character was telling. At first I was gonna quit, but the graphics, were stunningly beautiful and the story was intriguing. I kept traveling through, taking plenty of screen shots, it was pretty incredible. Unfortunately there is not much replay value in this game, I was not surprised though on most of the reviews found here, I can see where people would be frustrated, as I was discovering I paid for something that should free or next to free. Expand
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    While Dear Esther may not be a game in the traditional sense, It sure is an amazing interactive experience. A well-told story, slowly expanding within you while you wander through the absolutely gorgeous landscape. I always enjoyed the atmosphere in video games, and I'm one of those gamers that get silly just watching the sun, or a river if they're nicely designed, even during the break ofWhile Dear Esther may not be a game in the traditional sense, It sure is an amazing interactive experience. A well-told story, slowly expanding within you while you wander through the absolutely gorgeous landscape. I always enjoyed the atmosphere in video games, and I'm one of those gamers that get silly just watching the sun, or a river if they're nicely designed, even during the break of a frantic shoot-out in a good looking FPS. It just takes me there for a while, i get my "fix" of virtual reality, even if that's not that close to it anyway.

Dear Esther took me there, it gave me my "fix" of virtual wandering about, it gave me the sun and sea gazing, it made me walk slowly but carefully, and almost smell the grass, or the still water inside the caves. It didn't last long enough though, that's my only negative remark about it I'd certainly buy and relive and extended version, or even more, a new production based on this formula anytime. Surely, it's not what you call a game, but it's entertaining, atmospheric and has an artistic value that can -and should- be appreciated
  6. T0G
    Dec 14, 2013
    It's a bit like walking through someone's memories. Interesting because it is so different to the usual game experience. Not too sure if I would want to do it again, though..
  7. May 21, 2014
    Dear Esther is one of the most beautifully atmospheric experiences you may ever play. Due to its lack of game mechanics, you are free to walk through a desolated island, discovering an epistolary, non-linear story.

Although it may sound absurd for a gamer, Dear Esther is not about objects to grab, paths to jump, characters to interact with or puzzles to explictly solve. From the

From the small details that build the landscapes to the nostalgic soundtrack and impressive sounds ambience of solitude, I garantee you hours of tranquil and peaceful wandering.

More than a game, it's some kind of an interactive cinematic and very personal experience to dive into.
  8. Jun 1, 2014
    Beautiful piece of work.
    Not a game, it's a interactive journey with a slight sad sad mood.
    If you love the sweet calling of nature, with it's beauty, this will please your heart.
    I'm looking forward to see more spiritual games, like this.
  9. May 7, 2015
    This game gets a 9 for what it is, which is basically an atmospheric tour across an island trying to piece together a subtle and ambigious story.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and comes under the type of game that would leave you questioning what exactly happened throughout while you explore its absolutely beautiful landscape based on the Herbian Islands off Scotland, hence why it is ambigous, it is well worth a look at around £4/5 or $6/7 and will leave you wondering what really happened by the end.
  10. Oct 27, 2015
    Dear Esther is a living metaphor. A man lost within his own world, represented as an abandoned island. As he walks, he studies the traces of his own past, in search for hope. All you do in this game is walking and listening to the narrator. But if you let yourself be taken by the narrative, the experience can be amazing. This game is really special to me, because it helped me think aboutDear Esther is a living metaphor. A man lost within his own world, represented as an abandoned island. As he walks, he studies the traces of his own past, in search for hope. All you do in this game is walking and listening to the narrator. But if you let yourself be taken by the narrative, the experience can be amazing. This game is really special to me, because it helped me think about my own situation of loss and confusion. Thank you for this wonderful game. Expand

1. Jan 10, 2013
    With no story or true narrative to latch onto, there's no reason for players to care about what's going on. And there's only one thing ever going on in Dear Esther: nothing. Broken up into individual pieces-the graphics, writing, and music clearly show talent and might have led to interesting stories or games-but together they form a dull, lifeless experience that's quickly forgotten.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 25, 2012
    To call this piece "a game" and rate it as an ordinary game is not fair. You can find many flaws in the game's mechanics but if you just follow the story your experience will be unforgettable. [Apr 2012]
  3. CD-Action
    Mar 13, 2012
    Thechineseroom studio managed to create something surprising and original, but Dear Esther is something you experience rather than play. [April 2012, p.79]