DEFCON: Everybody Dies PC

8.3

1. JasonRabb
    Dec 31, 2007
    This is a simple game to understand yet incredibly difficult to master. Kudos for a company to break from what is "in" to attempt something older yet heat-thumping in fun and entertainment. You have to love the genre of strategy and chess to understand and appreciate the brilliance of this game. Enjoy! = )
  2. Jan 29, 2012
    DEFCON borrows some of its lore and most of its appearance from portions of the movie WarGames. The multi player scene is still active, and it is very easy to find open matches with all kinds of different settings. Personally, I prefer playing against the CPU, much like in the movie. The map is fairly accurate, depicting the geopolitical era of the Cold War. Implementing orders to yourDEFCON borrows some of its lore and most of its appearance from portions of the movie WarGames. The multi player scene is still active, and it is very easy to find open matches with all kinds of different settings. Personally, I prefer playing against the CPU, much like in the movie. The map is fairly accurate, depicting the geopolitical era of the Cold War. Implementing orders to your units can sometimes be confusing and inadequate, but with enough attempts, you become used to the interface, and will be able to do all of the game's strategical requirements. What is most valuable in DEFCON is the replay ability. Certainly, each match has an ending, but the game truly shines when you play it repeatedly; alone or online. Winning is not easy. Several things must go right, and occur at specific moments in order to be successful. Because of these timing issues, sometimes you will win or lose depending on how quickly or how slowly your units execute orders in conjunction with timers. Nuking cities and other strategic locations doesn't exactly feel like you are killing people. There isn't very much tension. It all just feels like you are clicking around on the map and delegating orders. The feeling that lives are actually being lost is not truly present. At the end of each match, you will be shown a small statistics screen with how much of the enemy population you have killed, how many of your population have been killed, and so on. Each match takes between 15 to 20 minutes to complete, and it often feels like each instance ends abruptly without much of a climax or excitement in the confrontations. The entire atmosphere is very cold and impersonal. Setting up a new single player match means you will have to go into the advanced settings every single time in order to change a few options to single player mode. The default (which can't be permanently altered) is set to multi player, broadcasting your match as public. This is quite annoying and should not have been programmed as such. I am certain that there are many DEFCON players that prefer single player mode and this preference should not be hindered by permanently set options from the developers. The longevity of DEFCON is dependent entirely on the player's interest in its short matches, be it single player or multi player. Besides your initial location on the match, it feels like every single match is played almost exactly the same, with very little occurring differently or alternatively. The strategies necessary to play this game are limited and basic, regardless of whether you win or lose. The only major change as you become better at the game is that you will begin winning, but this does not mean each match will be played differently, or go through a different turn of events. As repetitive as it is, there is a small amount of entertainment gained from playing DEFCON for more than three or so matches at a time. The gaming experience quickly becomes dull, repetitive, tiresome, and almost identical to every other match you play. DEFCON is best played in short bursts in order to preserve its replay ability. Seriously lacking in variety, this diversion is suited for fast breaks and brief encounters. Expand
  3. JoelB.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Excellent concept, rather morbid gameplay but in an unsettlingly fun way. The first time a game has dared try to compete with chess and succed. Can be very frustrating (so only 9/10).
    Sep 30, 2006
    Excellent game, well worth the money. The only drawbacks are that the screen can get "cluttered" with units, and network load can create problems during some matches.
  5. BrianR.
    Dec 10, 2006
    The most chilling horror game I can imagine, and no a ghost or zombie in sight. No blood, no gore, just a stark white flash accompanied by a purely impersonal number. The millions of people you've just killed with your own hands.
  6. Dec 24, 2011
    I'm giving this a 5 cause it seem's like it can be good. and my problems might not happen to you guys.
    Anyway, I bought this game today (dec 24 2011) for 2.50, And oh my god am i having troubles... The game explains nothing to me... I didin't know how to use nukes how to use fleets, and i still don't. The tutorial is messed up, when ever i try to play it, the game ALWAYS crashes. ALWAYS. So now i'm stuck here trying to figure out how to **** play this game while i get my ass kicked in 5 mins by the AI. I hate this. The game seems fun but i am having the worst time with it. WHY DO I HAVE TO GO ONLINE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY THIS PIECE OF ****
  7. Aug 9, 2013
    This game lacks polish and a tutorial. The strategy wasn't readily apparent to me. After playing a game then reading online, the strategy seemed rather flat to me. You will have a preferred layout for a territory and the constant clicking to dole out orders is very boring.
  8. Aug 15, 2012
    Brilliant atmosphere, you feel the tension of the impending nuclear war as the timer counts to the next DEFCON level, moving your units in to destroy as much of the opposing continent as you can. Then you reach DEFCON 1 and watch the nukes you launched heading to kill millions, while the grim background music plays. It's too simple though, ships and planes move and shoot each otherBrilliant atmosphere, you feel the tension of the impending nuclear war as the timer counts to the next DEFCON level, moving your units in to destroy as much of the opposing continent as you can. Then you reach DEFCON 1 and watch the nukes you launched heading to kill millions, while the grim background music plays. It's too simple though, ships and planes move and shoot each other clumbsily on a small map for about 10 minutes while nukes fly overhead, gets boring fast. Collapse
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    Defcon is fun. To be honest, that's all you need to know but I'm going to go in depth anyway. Defcon revolves around nuking the other players. That's it; it's a good idea and it's executed pretty well. You can send bombers with mini nukes, have nuclear submarines launch bigger nukes or just use ICBMs because you have stuff to do. It's simple with a nice sound track and style but in myDefcon is fun. To be honest, that's all you need to know but I'm going to go in depth anyway. Defcon revolves around nuking the other players. That's it; it's a good idea and it's executed pretty well. You can send bombers with mini nukes, have nuclear submarines launch bigger nukes or just use ICBMs because you have stuff to do. It's simple with a nice sound track and style but in my opinion you'll play maybe one game to kill some time and then go do something else for a while. Expand
  10. Feb 22, 2011
    The only bad thing is the lack of servers online. Otherwise, this is a fun, challenging, and interesting game. It's a must have for anyone who loves strategy games.
  11. Oct 31, 2013
    This game wears it's debt to War Games on its sleeve, and rightly so. It's an impressive tactical game that manages to have the most utterly depressing atmosphere I've come across. But is it a really good game? The jurys out on that I'm afraid.
  12. BillyL.
    Oct 2, 2006
    Great soundtrack, gives you a gameplay experience that makes you feel just like a general who looks at millions of casualties as just numbers on a screen or means to an end. Simple yet exciting graphics. A good bit of replayability in the fact that you can play in different theatres of war and choose allies and enemies. But, I have the feeling that in one month I will be totally bored and Great soundtrack, gives you a gameplay experience that makes you feel just like a general who looks at millions of casualties as just numbers on a screen or means to an end. Simple yet exciting graphics. A good bit of replayability in the fact that you can play in different theatres of war and choose allies and enemies. But, I have the feeling that in one month I will be totally bored and never play DEFCON again. The pointlessness of thermonuclear war definately bleeds over into your gameplay. Expand
  13. BenM.
    Nov 23, 2006
    I thought this would be a game to play over and over again; counting on all the reviews I've seen from various game mags. Unfortunetly DEFCON does not live up to its standards and is a blow to what could be improved.
  14. AnnO'Nymous
    Oct 17, 2006
    STEAM!?! Forget it. Hate STEAM, hate it to death. Maybe you like STEAM, that's fine, then go buy this game (STEAM-Lover-- Bah!!). I think STEAM is at least as bad as Starforce. The good news is, that you can go out and buy the classic card game "Nuclear War" by Buffalo Games, and have exactly the same experience as this in the comfort of your own home - plus you can play "NuclearSTEAM!?! Forget it. Hate STEAM, hate it to death. Maybe you like STEAM, that's fine, then go buy this game (STEAM-Lover-- Bah!!). I think STEAM is at least as bad as Starforce. The good news is, that you can go out and buy the classic card game "Nuclear War" by Buffalo Games, and have exactly the same experience as this in the comfort of your own home - plus you can play "Nuclear War" with your friends, and if you are of the age of majority, drink a lot as you do so. Expand
  15. Dec 30, 2010
    DEFCON offers a very interesting concept, but it fails to really involve the player.
    The game is very generic, once you've played a game you've seen it all.
    If you like slow phased strategy, then this might amuse you quite a bit, but for a person that likes medium/fast phased real time strategy it's not worth the price of 10 euros.
  16. Sep 1, 2011
    Extremely simple with excellent visuals. However, it is one of the most tense strategy games I played. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... DEFCON 1. That is the tensest moment of the game, and a few seconds later all hell breaks loose and 20 nukes fly in the air. Its gameplay is one that will make you want to come back for more, and brainstorm. "Maybe I can launch half of my nukes, and the other halfExtremely simple with excellent visuals. However, it is one of the most tense strategy games I played. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... DEFCON 1. That is the tensest moment of the game, and a few seconds later all hell breaks loose and 20 nukes fly in the air. Its gameplay is one that will make you want to come back for more, and brainstorm. "Maybe I can launch half of my nukes, and the other half go air defense? Maybe I can send my subs to destroy the entire naval fleet then nuke Tokyo? Maybe I can go full defense mode, then launch all my nukes when everyone else is done?" I reccomend it to everyone who is into strategy and genocide. Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    I would give this a 10/10 but after all the nukes are launched it just gets boring, but other than that it has a great atmosphere, mechanics (even though I was a seasoned player and my friend beat me on first time), however don't buy the full game as bad as that sounds you can still get the full experience from the demo version, it still has LAN and internet and you can play against botsI would give this a 10/10 but after all the nukes are launched it just gets boring, but other than that it has a great atmosphere, mechanics (even though I was a seasoned player and my friend beat me on first time), however don't buy the full game as bad as that sounds you can still get the full experience from the demo version, it still has LAN and internet and you can play against bots (which aren't stupid, thank god). Expand
  18. Jun 10, 2014
    Es un videojuego que te hace reflexionar, bajo mi punto de vista se podría considerar inclusive un videojuego serio. Pese a su simplicidad, tanto de uso como gráfica, es muy efectivo y profundo. Buena compra.
  19. JayB.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Simple. Addicitve. Enjoyable. Great soundtrack, and amazing gameplay. The graphics are well designed and overall this is one game i think will be a classic.
  20. AnonymousMC
    Oct 1, 2006
    Amazingly fun and addictive. It sounds odd, but the game lacks depth at the same time it has great depth... As if, there could and should be more, but what is there is for sure a good time. Highly recommend.
  21. TObyC.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Most certainly one of the most complex psychological excersizes I've ever done.
  22. DavidP.
    Oct 2, 2006
    The only problem with it is it coulda used Land troops.
  23. JustinS.
    Sep 30, 2006
    This game is very fun. You can be allied with someone one moment, and then anhiliate them the next. This game is gonna last years.
  24. SebastianE.
    Sep 30, 2006
    Right after the Guild Wars games this is the best game I have ever bought! It's simple to learn but hard to master. It's totally addictive, the graphics are simple but nice. You could speak of graphical concinnity. The music is good, the sound is super. Buy this game!
  25. JeromyC.
    Jun 9, 2007
    The music adds to the chilling atmosphere. Well worth $15 bucks especially hearing your son groan in his room while going head to head while I decimate him, priceless. So far I have found no worthy opponent online one on one and the single player is a joke. When against several opponents it is difficult. Still feels like it is missing something. The visuals are exquisite. It adds to the The music adds to the chilling atmosphere. Well worth $15 bucks especially hearing your son groan in his room while going head to head while I decimate him, priceless. So far I have found no worthy opponent online one on one and the single player is a joke. When against several opponents it is difficult. Still feels like it is missing something. The visuals are exquisite. It adds to the horrific spine chilling mood along with the music. I did get burned out after a week of almost solid playing but just for a quick little something to leave you hanging on the end of your seat game, it is 10+ in my book. After you learn how to take out the enemy silos from the get go 1vs1 is too easy. Playing against at least 4 or more players is really a challenge. So far I haven't quite mastered engaging multiple enemies. Strike first and strike hard! Leaving a few silos undetected and subs on their front lawn for final clean up or retaliatory strike. Expand
  26. MikeB
    Aug 3, 2008
    The most chilling war game ever created. The game illustrates the tension, paranoia, and complexity of global thermonuclear war. Rather than creating a sense of extreme warrior spirit to stimulate the shallow gamer, Defcon creates an atmosphere of dread, with the background music hinting at the imminent doomsday right from the start of a round. You never see the nukes hit, for, judging The most chilling war game ever created. The game illustrates the tension, paranoia, and complexity of global thermonuclear war. Rather than creating a sense of extreme warrior spirit to stimulate the shallow gamer, Defcon creates an atmosphere of dread, with the background music hinting at the imminent doomsday right from the start of a round. You never see the nukes hit, for, judging from the sound effects and the overall atmosphere, you're in a protected bunker, leading the nuclear massacre and monitoring it from a tactical screen. Hundreds of millions of people are about to die - you're responsible for making sure that it happens, and that the continent you're in charge of suffers through the somber nuclear holocaust the least. The atmosphere is the game's most memorable trait - there's really nothing else like it. The music gives a sense of remorse for the death that is about to take place. Expand
  27. StephanL.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Just another great game by Intoversion!
  28. DevonE.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Easy to learn, difficult to master. This game just might be the strategy game competitive league enthusiasts and hosts have been looking for. Easier than chess and just as complex, Defcon is the game to have for any real time strategy enthusiast.
  29. Alex
    Oct 1, 2006
    This game really seems a game for people who love strategy games. To me it takes good thinking and calculation on where your gonna strike... gtg play more Defcon!!!
  30. EthanG.
    Oct 1, 2006
    This game has great strategy involved, and you have to plan a counter attack when they are open to attack, e.g. when they attack, Great game i love the ships and Airplanes, adds an extra demsion to the game.
  31. OlivierD.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Amazing how simple graphics can make such a great game !
  32. EliasO.
    Oct 2, 2006
    Great game, especially online. I love having a alliance that last's to the very last minute..
  33. DavidC.
    Oct 2, 2006
    Outstanding for what it is. If you are expecting a super in depth game with FPS action, then you're an idiot.
  34. T.R.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Great game, easy to play hard to master.
  35. MattB.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Its a great game. I have yet experience the game in its full greatness, but so far I give 1 and 3/5 thumbs up!
  36. MaxA.
    Oct 4, 2006
    A really good game, with a totaly new concept! Really much fun if you play diplomacie with mates and betray them.
  37. ThomasS.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Great game, lots of fun, especially in multiplayer mode. It's amazing how such a simple game concept works so great.
  38. Mobius
    Oct 9, 2006
    What appears to be a simple launch all your missiles at the enemy game, turns out to be a very indepth statagy game, sure you can lauch all you have at the enemy and get some early points putting you clearly at the top of the scoreboard, but be warned , that player that you was calling a noob has placed his subs in prime spots and his bombers are on there way to clear your defences, At What appears to be a simple launch all your missiles at the enemy game, turns out to be a very indepth statagy game, sure you can lauch all you have at the enemy and get some early points putting you clearly at the top of the scoreboard, but be warned , that player that you was calling a noob has placed his subs in prime spots and his bombers are on there way to clear your defences, At first I thought what a simple game and how nostalgic, but after playing that one more go ive found a intresting waiting game that rewards the thinking player. and if you like DEFCON I recomend playing DARWINA for something original. problem with people who grew up with sega and nintendo being there starting platforms is that they think that graphics are as important as the gameplay and if it looks crap then it is crap, I pity the Fools, never judge a book my its cover. I give DEFCON a big thumbs up. Expand
  39. MarcusC.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Great gameplay, will enjoy many late nights over this game
  40. SteveC.
    Best. LAN. Game. Ever.
  41. NicholasL.
    Sep 30, 2006
    DEFCON is a testament to why a game can be great and not have a multi-million dollar budget. SImple vector graphics, and sparse, creepy ambient music and sounds enforce a tense atmosphere, where the focus of the game is on the lives of your citizens, not the pre-rendered, life like CGI. Strategy is a must as you plan out your entire strategy in the first few minutes of the game. The only DEFCON is a testament to why a game can be great and not have a multi-million dollar budget. SImple vector graphics, and sparse, creepy ambient music and sounds enforce a tense atmosphere, where the focus of the game is on the lives of your citizens, not the pre-rendered, life like CGI. Strategy is a must as you plan out your entire strategy in the first few minutes of the game. The only strategy game in recent memory where the decisins you makie early will either win or lose the game for you, DEFCON is what strategy fans have been clamoring for in their basements for years. What's nice, is that's also exactly where Introversion made their grail. Expand
  42. PetG.
    Mar 10, 2007
    Cripes, this is an insanely fun game to play alone, and when with other players it's a good challenge. Cheers to the guys at Introversion for giving us this great game.
  43. SimonO.
    Sep 9, 2007
    Excellent game. I am not sure everyone find a lot of replay value as your competing against some seriously good players. A ranking system would be nice.
  44. EricS
    Oct 6, 2008
    A very well designed and implemented game, with focus obviously placed more on gameplay and enjoyability instead of overly flashy graphics. What graphics there are do their job well, are pleasing to the eye, and easily interpreted at a glance, not getting in the way of gameplay. The soundtrack is likewise simple, but evocative, creating a feeling of detachment yet also one of tension, as A very well designed and implemented game, with focus obviously placed more on gameplay and enjoyability instead of overly flashy graphics. What graphics there are do their job well, are pleasing to the eye, and easily interpreted at a glance, not getting in the way of gameplay. The soundtrack is likewise simple, but evocative, creating a feeling of detachment yet also one of tension, as though the player really were sitting in some insulated bunker, watching events unfold on a monitor, disconnected from the violence and yet in control of it. Expand
  45. PatrickB.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Solid, simple gameplay mechanic. Good variety of modes. It's a great diversion, but I haven't found it addicting (maybe that's a good thing?) My only nit pick is that there isn't some sort of leaderboard.
  46. TonyV.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Awesome game, simple controls, but takes skill. Easy to get into, very addicting.
  47. ChrisH.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Simple but deeply engrossing.
  48. ChristopherP.
    Nov 5, 2006
    One of the best multiplayer games ever. It only takes a small amount of time to learn the basics, but you can master every nuance, every timing, every management technique, and still not win. That's where the brilliance is: the strategy isn't so much in what you do with your nation, it's in how you play the other nations. The best parts of the game are the diplomacy One of the best multiplayer games ever. It only takes a small amount of time to learn the basics, but you can master every nuance, every timing, every management technique, and still not win. That's where the brilliance is: the strategy isn't so much in what you do with your nation, it's in how you play the other nations. The best parts of the game are the diplomacy options, and in every 6-player game there will be massive amounts of backstabbing, backdoor alliances, kicking players out of alliances, and doing it all again until the victory timer reaches zero. The variety of modes is a huge plus; there's office mode (long games), big world mode, diplomacy mode (sickest mode ever), speed defcon, and a ton of host options, like minimum speeds (thank god, because 1x is never necessary, even though almost all games involve someone not competent enough to play on 5x) and random territories. Don't bother getting this game if you're only going to play quick 1v1's, it's not a game designed for that. There are a few issues as of patch 1.1: I have dropped and crashed before, which is a total buzzkill, and there are still some technical issues I've heard of, such as with some machines using 100% of your CPU being used at all times, and connection problems. I'd also like difficulty scales for the AI, and for fighters to act faster than they do or to be tougher to make scouting more worthwhile. Overall though, it's an amazingly fun and intense multiplayer experience, highly recommended for strategy buffs. Expand
  49. Roger
    Dec 1, 2006
    The game is definately a great experience. I've played the demo for quite some time now, however I do wonder if the full-version is actually worth the money. Because they don't really add that much. Still, as a strategy game, it's original and definately makes you want so much more!
  50. JamesC.
    Oct 2, 2006
    This game is fantastic. A must buy from Introversion Software. Even though this game is simple and polished it will take quite a long time to get good at. Buy it!
  51. CoryW.
    Oct 22, 2006
    The game was fun at first but the slow pace and simplicity left me wanting more.
  52. JohnW.
    Oct 3, 2006
    This game is so much fun! A game where strategy is the key, you have to use your wits instead of just lobbing bombs at the enemy. Awesome execution of a great idea! Highly recommended for people who like strategy games, and maybe others will love it, too.
  53. MikeT.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Great game, simple, beautiful, concentrates on interaction and gameplay...wonderful!
  54. Mr.Mitchell
    Oct 4, 2006
    Simplicity is beauty as this haunting representation of interactive apocolypsia unfolds under your command.
  55. LukeK.
    Oct 5, 2006
    DEFCON is one of those games where it's rediculously simple, but at the same time difficult to actually win. The only possibility of a problem is replayabliity in the years to come.
  56. ChrisB.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Simple but brilliant, and unbearabley tense.
  57. MikeM.
    Sep 30, 2006
    I've been waiting for this game to come out, since the movie! Thanks.
  58. ChristopherJ.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Easily the best multiplayer RTS since Starcraft.
  59. JustinR.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Simple gameplay and controls, but excellent in every way.
  60. MatveiS.
    Apr 22, 2007
    I just bought this game after playing the demo for several weeks. Defcon is really addictive game, indeed easy to learn and hard to master. I love the time control system, where players can speed up and slow down time. It allows enough time to thoughtfully place all units and give orders, but also has options to fast-forward through uneventful stages of the game. The game is infinitely I just bought this game after playing the demo for several weeks. Defcon is really addictive game, indeed easy to learn and hard to master. I love the time control system, where players can speed up and slow down time. It allows enough time to thoughtfully place all units and give orders, but also has options to fast-forward through uneventful stages of the game. The game is infinitely fun and replayable, and it only cost me $15. I love it! Expand
  61. StevenL.
    May 7, 2007
    Great atmosphere, but the actual game leaves much to be desired. There are many subtle nuances in particular that are horrendously poorly documented, and severely hinder the learning curve to the point of a fault. I did not have fun with it.
  62. ChrisM
    Sep 12, 2008
    When I first got the game, I always got destroyed, because I didn't understand how advanced the strategy was. I gave up on it. A year later I picked it up again, and learned a few things. Started winning some games, and now I'm hooked. Been playing daily for months. It's like a modernized game of chess. You need to use certain pieces, to protect other pieces, and to help When I first got the game, I always got destroyed, because I didn't understand how advanced the strategy was. I gave up on it. A year later I picked it up again, and learned a few things. Started winning some games, and now I'm hooked. Been playing daily for months. It's like a modernized game of chess. You need to use certain pieces, to protect other pieces, and to help coordinate attacks and there's LOTS of deception. Expand
  63. KurisuD.
    Nov 11, 2006
    Unfortunately I found the experience of this game very dull and with the great reviews of this game I have seen it just added to the dissapointment. I've seen this game compared to the scenes of the movie War Games, but this game falls terribly short. The sound is uninspired and sets the mood more towards nap-time than full fledged world war. The gameplay and action is just too slow Unfortunately I found the experience of this game very dull and with the great reviews of this game I have seen it just added to the dissapointment. I've seen this game compared to the scenes of the movie War Games, but this game falls terribly short. The sound is uninspired and sets the mood more towards nap-time than full fledged world war. The gameplay and action is just too slow to keep ones attention for long. Sometimes units get crowded/overlapped and despite some icons to show available aircraft/missiles often I find it difficult to see even all the way zoomed in and I must click on each unit over and over. The multiplayer experience versus humans is okay, but still nothing special while the computer AI with this game is pathetic.. Out of the box my first match (not really knowing what I was doing) versus 5 computer opponents I won with a score of 255 while the next closest had 30pts.. Honestly, if you don't play this game your not missing out on much. More of watching a simulation than playing a game really with no quick thinking/reflexes necessary and little in terms of tactics. Expand
  64. PekkaP.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Defcon is the best online game since cs.
  65. Sol
    Nov 29, 2006
    Nice game! Sometimes little slow paced when playing with human opponents. Fun to play once in a while.
  66. BrodyJ.
    Oct 14, 2006
    It's one of the best online games I've ever played. Too bad I suck at it.
  67. TomG.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Absolutely amazing. Must buy.
  68. MatthewW.
    Brilliant game!!!
  69. NickD.
    Sep 29, 2006
    This is the greatest strategy game I have played in a very long time. It never is the same repetitive gameplay like many strategies, and it has a very innovative concept, and for those people who like long games, this is the game for you.
  70. JasonR.
    Sep 29, 2006
    instant classic that will sadly not get the attention it deserves.
  71. MikeR.
    Sep 29, 2006
    What can i say about this game. It has the graphical flair and soundscape of darwinia, coupled with ingenious gameplay. Defcon will have you scheming against your best friends in a bid to rack up the deaths of millions. Like chess, the tools of the game are simplistic, only half a dozen different units, but the scope of strategy is amazing. Being able to manipulate and second guess others What can i say about this game. It has the graphical flair and soundscape of darwinia, coupled with ingenious gameplay. Defcon will have you scheming against your best friends in a bid to rack up the deaths of millions. Like chess, the tools of the game are simplistic, only half a dozen different units, but the scope of strategy is amazing. Being able to manipulate and second guess others is a vital skill, and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing the abusive messages typed by a former ally you just nuked to pieces. It doesn't have the shiny 'splodes of a modern RTS but if you are looking for a decent strategy game that isnt just a harvest, build, rush game then Defcon is definately worth checking out. Expand
  72. AlexS.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Amazing style, amazing gameplay. Simple yet deep.
  73. NatW.
    Mar 27, 2007
    For $15, this game can't be beat. Great for Lan Parties and other areas where you can see the other people.
  74. RubenJ.
    Mar 29, 2007
    A very good game, because of this simple fact: easy to learn, hard to master.
  75. JamesP.
    Sep 24, 2007
    A great game with some very interesting ideas. It possibly not the best rts out on the market but is incredibly fun to play and hard to master. Single player is nothing special. Most times you can predict what the ai is going to do. The multi player is where the action is. One on one is good and the world map is big enough for plenty of sneaky tactics. Get more than two involved for some A great game with some very interesting ideas. It possibly not the best rts out on the market but is incredibly fun to play and hard to master. Single player is nothing special. Most times you can predict what the ai is going to do. The multi player is where the action is. One on one is good and the world map is big enough for plenty of sneaky tactics. Get more than two involved for some really interesting times. The alliances system allows players to join alliances but also for other player to vote someone else out of one too. You really do have to have your thinking head on once four people are involved. Expand
  76. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is a must buy for anyone who has ever seen Wargames - and even for those too young to appreciate the genius of actually finally getting to play - at long last - a real game of Global Thermonuclear War. what is amazing about this game is it is not only an attempt to realize that lofty dream - but it is an amazingly tense, strategic, and atmospheric game in its own right. If youThis game is a must buy for anyone who has ever seen Wargames - and even for those too young to appreciate the genius of actually finally getting to play - at long last - a real game of Global Thermonuclear War. what is amazing about this game is it is not only an attempt to realize that lofty dream - but it is an amazingly tense, strategic, and atmospheric game in its own right. If you are checking this to know if the Humble Bundle is worth it - I say - yes - a thousnad times yes - if only for the inclusion of this amazing game! To date - with the purchase of one of the bundle this morning - this I now own three copies of this amazing game. Expand
  77. May 19, 2012
    DEFCON is a wonderfully strategic nuclear war sim. Despite it being rather difficult to play online, the game is so brilliant that play against the AI is still quite entertaining. There are a number of astounding mods that enhance the game to a whole new level, and Introversion has taken the wise step of recognizing these mods on their website. In all, a brilliant game.
  78. Aug 5, 2015
    The main issue I have with this game is that it lacks immersion and therefore gets tiring pretty fast.

While the graphics would work great, the soundtrack and the weird game pace destroy it really. Even when I fast forward I constantly feel like: omg, move forward already... this takes forever. And quite unnecessarily so. While there's some micromanagement possible and necessary

While there's some micromanagement possible and necessary there's simply long parts in a match which don't need much attention and feel like they take forever.

The whole concept just seems unpolished even though it's a simple game really.
  79. May 19, 2013
    Such a fun game that is so complex strategically, yet so simple in terms of actually playing it. There are only three buildings (silo, radar and airbase) and five units (battleship, submarine, aircraft carrier, fighter and bomber) to control, but exactly where you position them and how you use them is what counts. It also does an amazing job at creating an atmosphere that, for a game aboutSuch a fun game that is so complex strategically, yet so simple in terms of actually playing it. There are only three buildings (silo, radar and airbase) and five units (battleship, submarine, aircraft carrier, fighter and bomber) to control, but exactly where you position them and how you use them is what counts. It also does an amazing job at creating an atmosphere that, for a game about nuclear war on a global scale, just feels right. Well worth the price! Expand
  80. Nov 6, 2014
    I found it to be an okay game, though I didn't like a few aspects of the game. I mean they clearly show you what the game is so you know what you're getting, but the movements were quite slow and even using 20x real time I found the game to be a little long. It's a good game, but just wasn't the type of game for me, so don't let my ratings affect your possibility of getting the game.
  81. Jan 2, 2016
    A real masterpiece. Simple and satisfying, with an amazing soundtrack to put you in the right ambience. Can be boring at your first few games, but as you progress and learn new techniques, this former is used to fuel you through hundreds of hours of incoming gameplay. Unfortunately, the online/multiplayer base of players is pretty low, finding a game of 6 players will be hard. I stronglyA real masterpiece. Simple and satisfying, with an amazing soundtrack to put you in the right ambience. Can be boring at your first few games, but as you progress and learn new techniques, this former is used to fuel you through hundreds of hours of incoming gameplay. Unfortunately, the online/multiplayer base of players is pretty low, finding a game of 6 players will be hard. I strongly recommend playing this game. Expand
  82. Aug 15, 2012

DEFCON's a great example of how a few simple concepts can be combined to make something that's incredibly interesting and pleasantly complicated.
  2. Edge Magazine
    The developer’s cleverest trick here, beyond creating a game that’s worth it for the presentation alone, has been to throw open so many of its rules to player customisation. [Nov 2006, p.90]
  3. Defcon is as pure and direct a game as its inspiration, and its limitations are ones of the game's basic scope.