8.4

1. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is fun. I am a tactics game addict, this isn't exactly a tactics game but a tower defense game where you use characters for your towers. These characters have classes and can level up and then be specced certain ways. So with 6 different classes and having up to 6 of each class in a battle, then with different specs per class there is a lot of depth to this simple lookingThis game is fun. I am a tactics game addict, this isn't exactly a tactics game but a tower defense game where you use characters for your towers. These characters have classes and can level up and then be specced certain ways. So with 6 different classes and having up to 6 of each class in a battle, then with different specs per class there is a lot of depth to this simple looking game. Lots of fun!! Expand
  2. Mar 25, 2012
    I would like to start off and say THANK YOU to the makers of this game. My son wanted it so we got it for him did not think he would like it, but i was wrong and glad he show it to me, it is one of those games you can sit back and not have to worry what he is going to be seeing...... I like playing it now to...... can't wait for the updates....... THANKS AGAIN
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    Probably my favorite all time Tower Defense game, slightly edging out Kingdom Rush and the classic Desktop Defender. Entertaining and well written dialogue. Impressive game play balance. After finishing the game on regular, New Game+ and collecting most of the achievements, I got a good 50 hours of fun out of it.

Not a perfect game, but I hear there's a sequel in the making I'd like to

Not a perfect game, but I hear there's a sequel in the making I'd like to see more variety in the enemies, a longer story arc, and the bonuses implemented in NG+ (unique equipment, journal entries and sidequests) available during the regular campaign.
  4. Nov 10, 2012
    If you like tower defense games this is a must-have title. It reminds me a little of Puzzle Quest or Clash of Heroes in that it adds RPG elements to a strategy/puzzle genre with great results. The game is pretty long and has good replay value, including a "new game +" mode that adds extra missions, new cutscenes, etc. It may look simple and retro, but the gameplay is among the best, theIf you like tower defense games this is a must-have title. It reminds me a little of Puzzle Quest or Clash of Heroes in that it adds RPG elements to a strategy/puzzle genre with great results. The game is pretty long and has good replay value, including a "new game +" mode that adds extra missions, new cutscenes, etc. It may look simple and retro, but the gameplay is among the best, the music is very good, and the humor is a nice touch. The price may seem a bit steep given the 16-bit graphics, but it's well worth that price. I have 33 hours logged on the game so far and I'm maybe 1/4 through New Game+. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    Simply a great game. The tower defense combat is a nice change of pace from what I normally play. Took a little over 20 hours to beat almost all the maps on highest difficulty. 4 difficulty levels for every map and a NG+. The humor in the writing was great, I did laugh out loud a couple times.
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best Tower Defense games ever made. Fun RPG gameplay mixed in with the classic TD formula of a set path for enemies to walk (i.e. no mazing) with upgradable "towers" and little to no "tower juggeling" makes this a must have for every TD fan out there. The game also offers a pretty decent story (not something that TDs are known for to have) which is a nice addition.
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    Great RPG/Tower Defense game that will soon get a lot better as more content will be added. As well as nice incentives to replay the game.

The characters are charming and the game is filled with light humor that kept me smiling during cutscenes.

You can play the long demo for free to see if it suits your tastes.
  8. Jul 2, 2013
    Wow, what a great little game. I just got it because it was only 5 dollars, and it looked and sounded very interesting. What a shock that I'm having more fun by far than I did with Diablo 3 or SimCity. Worth every penny; it would be worth every penny if I'd have paid $20.

If they made a version with much better graphics, I'd rebuy it in a second. In fact, if they did a DQ2 with great graphics, I'd pay $40 for the thing in a heartbeat.
  9. Nov 28, 2012
    Very solid and entertaining tower defense game with a splash of RPG.

Pros: - Fairly long campaign with lots of additional replay value. - Different difficulties require different strategies, but there are many different successful strategies. - Fun combination of standard tower defense (place units, power them up using a resource you acquire by defeating incoming waves) and longer
    Very solid and entertaining tower defense game with a splash of RPG.

Pros:
    - Fairly long campaign with lots of additional replay value.
    - Fun combination of standard tower defense (place units, power them up using a resource you acquire by defeating incoming waves) and longer term rpg elements (units level up and unlock abilities, need equipment upgrades, must be recruited before being used).

Cons:
    - Repetitive sound track
    - Difficult to evaluate the impact of unit level-up decisions - decision-making feels somewhat random

All in all, well worth a look if you like tower defense.
  10. Dec 12, 2012
    While I do love tower defense games, I've felt a bit...burned out by the sheer number of them lately. This game, however, is just different enough from the rest to have revived my love of the genre. Its nicely crafted storyline and RPG elements add the perfect touch and encourage you to play "just one more battle". Highly recommended!
  11. May 25, 2013
    Defender's Quest: Valley of The Forgotten is an very successful mix of classic tower defense games and RPG's. It gives us the tactical part of tower defenses and the character (tower? xD) customisation worthy of an full-blown rpg blended together into a extraordinary game.

What can I say more? I WANT A SECOND PART!
  12. Jan 27, 2014
    A very enjoyable RPG, where your battles are entertaining tower defense. Humorous writing for character dialog, and even the animation doesn't bother me, which is often does in these "retro" style battles. I find myself wanting to beat every mission on extreme, and take great joy in leveling up enough that normal fights are laughably easy. I'll be sad when I've completely finished theA very enjoyable RPG, where your battles are entertaining tower defense. Humorous writing for character dialog, and even the animation doesn't bother me, which is often does in these "retro" style battles. I find myself wanting to beat every mission on extreme, and take great joy in leveling up enough that normal fights are laughably easy. I'll be sad when I've completely finished the entire game, as then there won't be a reason to going back to previous battles. Very well done game! Expand
  13. Jan 29, 2014
    This a old-school fashion TD game. If you could enjoy the kind of "Kingdom Rush" causal game and wanna more challenge to beat. This game won't disappoint you.

But the reason why it get highly recommended is because the game has three special elements which make it able to bring you more fun then normal TD game you ever played. 1 RPG factors: Your role and recruits can all have

1 RPG factors:
    Your role and recruits can all have their own skill line, gears and get more power when leveled up. There are 6 class with 6 skill line, and even different soldiers of the same class could be customized for certain direction under different situation by reassign their skill points( and its quite cheap to reassign points).

2 AI of your atk target:
    Your army will attack foes automatically when they are in range, and you can't lock exactly which one you wanna attack for each soldier. However, each soldier can be assigned a type of its prefer targets(a combination according to foe's distance/HP/speed/armor/viability/buff...). And this mechanism will enable you to maximize overall dmg toward foe or save your hero at critical moment by changing atk targets.

3 Recall and re-position your soldier:
    It is not new to allow selling your unnecessary solider and placing the new one in TD game. But normally, the selling action is passive choice when you don't have enough gold for the new one. While in this game, the total number of each class of your soldier is limited. And thus even you have enough gold/energy to place a new one, you still need to consider the best moment to recall(sell) and reposition it. And in the most of extreme challenge of later game, this is the only way to win since your foes overnumbers your army.

When this three factors mingled together, it means you need to set your general strategy for your gears,soldiers before the battle and adjust your attack/postion strategy during the battle, which may require a lot of micromanagement then most of TD game.
  14. Dec 18, 2012
    A fun mix of Tower Defense and RPG in a well made game. Your companions are your "towers" and you level them up and equip them as you would in a standard RPG. Quite enjoyable. Get the demo and see if it is your kind of game.
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    Awesome mix of Tower Defense and RPG. I thought it worked really well. Tons of fun and very addicting. Lots of replay value. A definite must-buy if you enjoy tower defense games.
  16. Jun 26, 2013
    Fun mix of tower defense and RPG mechanics. The story is interesting, the characters are humorous, and the art is cute. The difficulty is well balanced, because you can grind to level up your party if a fight is too hard, but formulating good strategies is still rewarded.

The mechanics are easy to grasp, the game has good tutorials (good because they are informative but not overwhelming or tedious), and you have enough options to customize your strategy, but not so many that the game becomes annoying.

The UI is clean and there are also keyboard shortcuts. The game is real-time but you can pause to issue orders or speed up to finish a easy battle quickly. Inventory management has some useful, innovative features to make replacing old equipment fast and easy, quickly presenting the player with the option to sell the old gear.

All in all, a well done game. I recommend this to anyone who is a fan or tower defense and RPG games.
  17. Jul 30, 2013
    I was entirely surprised to find such hugely enjoyable gameplay under a budget indie facade. This is tower defense at it's best, don't let the graphics fool you! It's all about what goes where, unit setup, and spell selection. There are some levels that take an immense brain effort, which I love about it. Trying to get all the achievements adds a compulsion factor that takes it to the nextI was entirely surprised to find such hugely enjoyable gameplay under a budget indie facade. This is tower defense at it's best, don't let the graphics fool you! It's all about what goes where, unit setup, and spell selection. There are some levels that take an immense brain effort, which I love about it. Trying to get all the achievements adds a compulsion factor that takes it to the next level with a lot of replayability. I got 70 hours out of this, and I might do it all again. If you're into tower defense, you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Expand
  18. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is easy to pick and play.
    Casual but with enough depth to get you into playing more and more.
    Mod support is also a good thing to have, since player base can extend the game's life. Game play wise its good and delivers. This game states the obvious, you don't need extra super neat graphics to do a fun game Aside from few bugs and problems with steam cloud (already solved
    This game is easy to pick and play.
    Casual but with enough depth to get you into playing more and more.
    Game play wise its good and delivers.
    Aside from few bugs and problems with steam cloud (already solved BTW) the game is solid
    the story, it's kinda meh but the rest is fine.

It's a really fun and easy to pick tower defense game, with good rpg options and leverage
  19. Aug 14, 2014
    This is a very simple and graphically unimpressive game. Although when you are talking about tower defense the real question is, is it fun? This game is a ton of fun by combining RPG elements that persist throughout the game as you level your "towers" and give them equipment. This is one of my favorite tower defense games of all times along with bloons.
  20. May 17, 2014
    I really didn't expect much from this game but it's turned out to be one of my favorite tower defense games of all times. It's been over a year since I've bought Defender's Quest and I keep coming back to it.
    I have definitely gotten my money's worth on this and I hope they make a sequel.
    Solid.
  21. Jan 28, 2014
    Great Tower Defense / RPG hybrid. Imagine your basic TwrDef game, but with people for towers. People with experience and equipment and skill trees. I know most TwrDef games let you level your towers in some way, but this goes deeper. The amount of skills, weapons, armor and the size of your party really make for endless combinations. Should I make my mage a healer and boost his magic, orGreat Tower Defense / RPG hybrid. Imagine your basic TwrDef game, but with people for towers. People with experience and equipment and skill trees. I know most TwrDef games let you level your towers in some way, but this goes deeper. The amount of skills, weapons, armor and the size of your party really make for endless combinations. Should I make my mage a healer and boost his magic, or should I buy him some armor and put him on the frontline where he can divide his time between healing and burning monsters? Should I make my ranger medium range with fast arrows or do I make her a very long range, slow shooting, poison dealer? Do I use my entire party or is this level maybe better suited for my berserkers alone? And if so, what weapon should I give them? So many options. Very cool. For a TwrDef game it has some really deep and tactical gameplay with a very enjoyable RPG-side.

The graphics are really simple. The cutscenes consist of 2D cartoon scenes that visually sit somewhere between your average Japanese and American cartoons, and both the overworld and the battle arenas are drawn in a stylish 2D that reminds me of the 2D Final Fantasy games, only less pixely. Overall medium good looking.

The sound does what it is supposed to do, I guess. I'm trying to recall anything noteworthy about the sound or music but nothing comes to mind. Nothing special I can mention.

The story then is pretty standard fantasy stuff, with an evil nemesis and his minions versus a band of unlikely heroes. There's some (funny) jokes in there, some drama, ... Seen it a million times. But it still works, and it's as good an excuse as any to get you into battle after battle and to keep you improving your characters. And that's what this game is all about. And it's incredibly fun.

Cheap and very fun. Recommended.

22. Feb 8, 2014
    Ok story but has the feel of an flash game. Easy for td veterans but refreshing mix of rpg and td.
    Would recommend if you are a fan of tower defence games
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Apr 16, 2013
    Between its addictive gameplay and sliding difficulty scale, Defender’s Quest offers gamers a great deal for such a small investment of time.
  2. Jan 29, 2012
    It's no accident that Defender's Quest is incredibly fun to play. The team behind it clearly had an appreciation for the genre and knew how to offer something familiar yet fresh. The promise of free content updates has me excited to continue playing. You should strongly consider joining me.