6.5

1. Oct 19, 2014
    This game sucks the big one, can't get anywhere by using the keyboard. Need to make it so you can use a game pad. Would be a great game for PC if you made it less frustrating to play or you trying to get people to buy the CD?
  2. Feb 6, 2015
    Fun game. It doesnt have alot of depth, gameplay is mostly focused on shooting aliens and doing simple missions. But mechanically it is well done. I like the feel of shooting, that there are tons of varied weapons. Storyline tied to TV show is also interesting feature.
    If you seeking for MMO that doesnt require being online alot, and want just to login casually to shoot stuff, Defiance is great game for this.
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    A pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to maxA pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to max lvl like most online.

The racing event with vehicle are pretty fun and break the shooting with a different gameplay the challenge with a specific gun with ammo are fun.

I can't wait to see what will happen every week with the show.
  4. Apr 3, 2013
    Has room for improvement but i love where they are taking the genre. I love the action feel like my first 8 hours was non stop action and i couldnt put it down!
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Have updated my review, this game is a slow grower.. its very worth while indeed. It isn't a MMORPG but it is an MMO. Its compelling, addictive and very absorbing indeed.
  6. Apr 4, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical after reading reviews here. But the game rocks! It is a mixed game type that we have never seen something like before. Flawless launch, outstanding for an MMO. Smooth, no lag, super fun combat, world feels alive, no elves or fairies, common one just has to love this game!
  7. Apr 10, 2013
    I don't understand this reviews. A six hour call of duty have over 80. And a game like Defiance, what has new features and a playtime longer as 50 hours, a game which is perfect to have action with friends. this game become a 6,8???
    But yesterday i found the first german review. it gives the game a 8,5
  8. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even havingThis game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even having someone stealing your kill. You are rewarded for assisting your fellow ark hunters, as well all loot that drops is your own loot...not shared loot...so there is no fear of someone ninja looting.

Overall the game is very beautiful to look at, and the shooting mechanics are dialed in quite nicely.

No worry of cooldowns, or a GUI that you end up paying more attention to then the game. If you are looking for a nice shooter with RPG elements, with MMO to boot, then look no further than Defiance.

Also I caught the 15 minute preview of the show and it looks really good.
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    I'm having a blast. I am looking forward to how the series on Syfy will integrate with the game. The battles are fun. Driving around exploring is fun too. I really hope the game does well.
  10. Apr 8, 2013
    Playing over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you doPlaying over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you do the TV missions you'll see the early connections between the game and TV show. This whole concept is turning out to be pretty cool. It adds a whole other element to the game. It seems there will be new Episode Missions each week to keep things interesting in addition to the regular stuff. There is a huge variety of awesome weapons to use. The BMG weapons are awesome since they can drain life from more than one enemy and then you can use it to heal yourself. I started with a machinist so I could start with a rapid fire weapon. I picked the invisibility EGO power. It comes in handy when you need to sneak behind enemies to disable generators or just get a quick advantage when you're outnumbered. The vehicles are fun to drive, especially taking jumps off cliffs or bumps. Best combo of weapons so far is to have one sniper rifle and one automatic weapon. I got my BMG weapon from a tier 4 lockbox so it was worth the cost. Make sure to join Arkfalls when they pop up on your map. There are sometimes dozens of players running around in a nonstop action free for all battling monster bugs or mutants. It's fun having the MMO vibe with your friends helping you out as part of your group or just random people jumping into a battle that helps you out when you need it. It's a fun game and I can't wait for the TV show to start! Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    Pretty nice MMO! Don't listen to the naysayers. I'm by no way a fanboy and I can tell you this game rocks! A few flaw here and there but it's normal and Trion is fast for patching. Give it a try, you will not regret it. Unless you want a WoW clone.
  12. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is a very refreshing addition to the MMO scene. There is buckets of content ranging from intricate storyline missions with voice acting to events such as time trials, rampages and Arkfalls. The graphical quality is excellent on high settings, although not very impressive on the lower settings. This may be something to consider if your computer is on the lower end.

The sounds

The sounds are very high quality, during combat there is usually some sort of electronic music with a rather high tempo, which is fitting but may get on your nerves over time. Fortunately it can be turned off in the settings.

There is a lot of customization, although in the beginning modifiable weapons are relatively rare, and usually only come with one or two open slots. But it gets better later on. There are no classes, but you will have to build your character around one of four abilities and the perks it can be connected into. The EGO Grid you do that with, is somewhat reminiscent of The Secret World. Or Final Fantasy X.

The shooting aspect of the game is very responsive and detailed, different weapons have completely different mechanisms instead of being simplified into one functionality. Hit detection is very responsive. When you aim for somebody's head, you hit them in the head. No invisible walls or other weirdness.

World polish is excellent. There are some bugs, mostly to do with certain quest objects taking their sweet time to appear or to respond to you. But the majority can be fixed by logging out of the game and back in, so it doesnt become such a big deal.

The vehicles are also interesting, they're not as crazy as in the Borderlands series, but that can be a bonus also, if you prefer realism over utter madness. The vehicle controls are a bit slow. You can tell that they had to compromise somewhere to release it on multiple platforms, but you should get used to it in the first half an hour or so, since nothing is technically wrong with it.

The interface is probably going to be the only big factor that will divide the public opinion on the game. I didn't have much trouble adapting to it, but I realize that I am not the whole world. You might be a little bewildered by it. The chat windows and such are the same old stuff as in other MMOs though, so you shouldn't have trouble asking for help.

I'm a big fan of the story, definitely worth it listening to all the cutscenes, conversations and reading through things in the game.

This is the first review I've ever bothered to write(maybe it speaks for the quality of the game in itself), so I apologize in advance if it left something unanswered.
  13. Apr 5, 2013
    I pre-ordered on the last day before release. This game is NOT worth its $60 asking price. $20-$30 max; especially with its F2P cash shop. It definitely will be at this level by the STEAM Summer Sale and more like $5-15 thereafter. It has some interesting elements for a shooter, I'm not really in to coop shooters so some of it is new to me. I can't shake the feeling that it's RiftI pre-ordered on the last day before release. This game is NOT worth its $60 asking price. $20-$30 max; especially with its F2P cash shop. It definitely will be at this level by the STEAM Summer Sale and more like $5-15 thereafter. It has some interesting elements for a shooter, I'm not really in to coop shooters so some of it is new to me. I can't shake the feeling that it's Rift lite though, lots of the same textures and similar artwork in places none of the awesome skill trees or anything. Terrible Console UI, *TONS* of bugs (loses keybinds, crash to desktop, disconnected from server constantly, have to turn off voice comm manually EVERY TIME YOU PLAY). PvP Is decent, maybe a little twitchy for my taste, matchmaking is okay and it's still new enough to have fast matches. You can level via PvP which I like. Arkfall events Rifts. The blatant Dodge Charger product placement is repulsive. This game is okay for a quick play, running over npcs in vehicles is fun for awhile. Cheesy single-player game style cut scenes. Main story line is pretty lame. Kind of reminds me of SWTOR here with out the "choices"; worse voice acting. Borderlands/Fallout this is NOT. I have an enormous amount of MMO experience; this isn't an MMO. Expand
  14. Apr 3, 2013
    When Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to fromWhen Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to from shooters but added into the mix is Shadow Wars which allows you to fight 48 vs 48 to control points on the map, the same map everyone else is busy fighting PvE (don't worry you don't have to take part) this creates an interesting element as NPCs interact the same to PvP players as they do PvE, you may find a boss helping you defend a point.

Overall Defiance is a new and interesting MMO with great potential to expand it's universe. We've yet to see how the game actually ties in with the TV show but it's something to look forward to and enjoy with the game.
  15. Apr 2, 2013
    This game... its great. The gun-play is perfect. The pvp is fun, especially Shadow War. The co-op is amazing. The story is alright so far, but it can only get better and i trust Trion to do so. P.S. hopefully the tv show is as good
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    Just what I was looking for in an MMO, something that was not another Warcraft or EVE clone. In truth yes, the game is in an early stage and there is room for improvement, and I look forward to seeing where Trion will go with it as time goes on.
  17. Apr 2, 2013
    i really love this game. ive played a lot of mmos out there and none have been able to keep my attention. this games story is on par with any triple A title.

the fact that grouping isnt a chore like in most mmos is even a bigger plus. you never have to be out of the action for long! and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times

and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times better than the console versions. besides, what do graphics have to do with game play?
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    Easily a 10/10 game.
    Takes some concepts from other MMO's and makes them all shine. I expected another generic MMO but what I got was a game with genuine 3rd Person shooter features, A great story and good controls. I'd recommend it to anyone. Huge open world with vehicles, gun customization and many other great things.
  19. Apr 3, 2013
    first MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends havefirst MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends have even bought it, along with the in depth weapon mod system, and the future integration with the television show, I'm hoping I can give this game a 10. Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    A little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll: Defiance tries a lot to be a little bit MMORPG and a little bit MMOFPS at the same time. To be fair (and somewhat forgiving), it's not that bad. It's just not that good. But with all the other MMO fish in the sea, I'm looking for something that is creatively fresh and fun.

I think Trion (whom I greatly respect for the well-done Rift) is

I think Trion (whom I greatly respect for the well-done Rift) is trying too hard to be too many things for too many people. Again, I respect the attempt but I rue the outcome. This is not the next MMORPG and it is not the next MMOFPS- it's a mediocre attempt at both. If it were F2P... maybe. For $60, no way.
  21. Apr 7, 2013
    Well, yes it is a good game. In what means? The quests are put together in a very fast-paced manner. You have a lot to do, all the time. You are always playing multi-player, and you find yourself in a quest, together with other people WHO are fighting for the same cause. Players are not killing each other, the concept of the game is good, the graphics, especially the characters are veryWell, yes it is a good game. In what means? The quests are put together in a very fast-paced manner. You have a lot to do, all the time. You are always playing multi-player, and you find yourself in a quest, together with other people WHO are fighting for the same cause. Players are not killing each other, the concept of the game is good, the graphics, especially the characters are very well drawn, but there are a lot of repetitions and the modifications of weapons (in which the game is very proud of) is not put together in a fun way. It is unnecessarily complicated. The AI of the villains is not bad, the inventory is a little too small for a game like this. But the story is good, the physics are average, the villains have better than average complexity, you do not really think that a huge price is not really worth paying for the game. For 29.99, it could be ok. Expand
  22. Apr 10, 2013
    I agree with the low-end of the spectrum. The (early) pilot episode of the show was fantastic and I think it will be a worthy successor to Eureka, Warehouse, and Alphas. However, the game just gives up on the story after you chase down Random Bald Scientist #1. It plays more like co-op Planetside 2 with a Borderlands leveling system and I was hoping that this would be the MMOS that soldI agree with the low-end of the spectrum. The (early) pilot episode of the show was fantastic and I think it will be a worthy successor to Eureka, Warehouse, and Alphas. However, the game just gives up on the story after you chase down Random Bald Scientist #1. It plays more like co-op Planetside 2 with a Borderlands leveling system and I was hoping that this would be the MMOS that sold me. Unfortunately the plethora of launch bugs, the poor graphical execution even by console standards, and the complete lack of story after the first chapter weigh me down. Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2013
    I am giving Defiance a 10 only to counteract the negative reviews that have been posted here, it should be about an 8.

While it is not perfect, Defiance is subject to an incredible ignorance. I cannot speak for the PS3 or 360 version of the game but I know for a fact that the PC version goes very unappreciated. I have read several reviews that do not detail the Competitive, Co-op, or Shadow War aspect of the game. I have been in so few competitive matches that do not result in a very close game due to balancing, constant scores of 24-25, 49-50 and even 1490-1500 or 1990-2000.

Unfortunately there is a very shared opinion about the game being incomplete, the game is not incomplete in the slightest but its suffering from its concept of future planning. Defiance has delivered us a base for whats to come. Trion instead decided not to give it to us all at once, especially since the plan is to coincide with the show which people seem to miss. Every MMO is built on giving us content through patches and/or expansions.

The gameplay is extremely similar to Borderlands, which personally I believe should not have a rating higher than this game(mind you Borderlands, not Borderlands 2.). Defiance demonstrates many similar features of Borderlands and then some.

For those strongly considering buying the game the things you need to know is that the gameplay you will come to enjoy is like Borderlands for the main story and side missions, even challenges like Saints Row. There is also a very balanced and challenging competitive multiplayer.
  24. Apr 6, 2013
    The story is dry and dead and the characters weak in every possible way.
    The geometry and texture work looks like it was made for a B-list game ten years ago.
    The general user interface is uninspired, cluttered, and barely navigable due to the color scheme. The camera is fixed at a tiny viewing angle of something like 45 degrees. The combat is slow, clunky, utterly lacking in feedback
    The story is dry and dead and the characters weak in every possible way.
    The camera is fixed at a tiny viewing angle of something like 45 degrees.
    The combat is slow, clunky, utterly lacking in feedback or pace.

And this is only the beginning of the journey into the joyless, tepid hell that is defiance.

Trash. Do not buy this game.
  25. Apr 2, 2013
    I can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of BorderlandsI can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of Borderlands or Guild Wars 2 this is a must buy. If you are a an of both, clear out your calendar. Expand
  26. Apr 5, 2013
    Very Nice surprise. Just loving this game. Nice mix of shooter, rpg, mmo. Its also paired with a tv show, which gines more depth as it will evolve with the show. If you like stort driven shooters in a scifi setting, this is for you.
  27. Apr 3, 2013
    Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP,Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP, and stuff like that to break up the single player stuff. I'm having a lot of fun with it and its definitely been worth my $60 thus far. It's a big game and there is a few bugs but its not a big deal, they will iron it out over time. Expand
  28. Apr 2, 2013
    It's fun to play! The story is pretty interesting so far as well and I am looking forward to see the tv show running in parallel. It is also working quite well on day one so far. Cool thing is that you are feeling to be part of something big. It also quite innovative. It certainly doesn't fit in with the WoW clones we get to see most of the time.
  29. Apr 3, 2013
    Big world, engaging story, unique mixed-media connection to the TV series. Character customization is lacking hopefully a future patch will address that. Variety of weapons and equipment is excellent. Game has depth. Very fun to play.
  30. Apr 4, 2013
    I do not mind massive multiplayers. However the idea of the game was what convinced me to buy it. With the exception if some not bad graphics I am not at all impressed with the game. The graphics could be better. What they show you in the loading screen is obviously not what you get in game. The amount of space it takes to actually play the game (which must be from your hard drive) doesn'tI do not mind massive multiplayers. However the idea of the game was what convinced me to buy it. With the exception if some not bad graphics I am not at all impressed with the game. The graphics could be better. What they show you in the loading screen is obviously not what you get in game. The amount of space it takes to actually play the game (which must be from your hard drive) doesn't justify the waiting time. This being said I do not enjoy having to wait 6 to 10 minutes to play an average game. The view of your character is inadequate, as she is tiny (and I've a very large tv).

As I said the idea of the game is cool. However the content and waiting time per each session is lost on me. And the content is just not worth the wait. I'll enjoy the show more i hope.

As a foot note server que times for a game I spent 70$ to buy is not acceptable.
  31. Apr 4, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game, especially with the TV show tie in planned. However, once I got into it, I found it to be seriously lacking. The whole time I was in the beta, it felt like a single player game, I really didn't run into many people, even at the ArkFall areas. It has a Borderlands-Lite feel to it. Not a lot of depth to it, the menu system is horrid, the controlsI was really looking forward to this game, especially with the TV show tie in planned. However, once I got into it, I found it to be seriously lacking. The whole time I was in the beta, it felt like a single player game, I really didn't run into many people, even at the ArkFall areas. It has a Borderlands-Lite feel to it. Not a lot of depth to it, the menu system is horrid, the controls are poorly laid out, the skill system is weak and the quest or mission system is unimaginative at best. All in all, not worth the price tag, not even close. Expand
  32. Apr 3, 2013
    Exciting Story, Fun Characters and a great new take on MMO games. It's not so much of an RPG, but it does have the elements needed to mimic one. I've been playing since the First stages of Beta and throughout the process of becoming full retail, Trion listens to their customers and feedback given.

This game has a strong community and a stronger Development Team behind it and I cannot wait for the future of this game and what it brings to the table for Innovation and creativity.

It's got a few flaws, but they're features that are going to be implemented or I have yet to get high enough to see more (Only gotten to 250).
    - Character Outfits could be worked on, more outfits or drops that could be rare.
    - PvP doesn't work for me, but it works for everyone else i play with, must be some sort of Port i need to forward or something that needs to be patched. I played it in beta and I thought it was really fun.
    - Hard to tell if the area we start at is the only area in the game or not, Not saying it's small, it isn't especially with so many players on at the same time, but having a larger outlook on how the world looks in more than just the California would be extremely neat.
  33. Apr 9, 2013
    should be free to play not worth the $60 at all. weak store bad side quests seems the the finish game is still just a early beta.
  34. Apr 12, 2013
    When you reda reviews for this game all I ask is that you scroll down and read the comments. Many of them have very valid points that I agree with completely, however the feedback from gamers has been mostly positive. Like many mmos before it defiance had several bugs, glitches and server issues at launch. These issues get ironed out in time and the game changes drastically as you play.When you reda reviews for this game all I ask is that you scroll down and read the comments. Many of them have very valid points that I agree with completely, however the feedback from gamers has been mostly positive. Like many mmos before it defiance had several bugs, glitches and server issues at launch. These issues get ironed out in time and the game changes drastically as you play. The developers have been nothing if not fourthcomming and humble about every issue and have shown great strides and dedication in only a weeks time. The people on here leaving bad reviews more than likely had not delved more than a few hours in or partaken in any of the great pvp or instances that gradually unlock. Trust me, the game really opens up after only a few hours and you can be swept up in it easily. With limitless content, a dedication to free patches and free dlc gameplay this game is more than worth your money. It isn't perfect by any strectch, but we mustnt forget that the key factor in video games is the fun factor and I honestly can't recal having thismuch fun with a game in years Expand
  35. Apr 15, 2013
    This game is incredible. I have played over 70 MMO's in my lifetime and never have I come across one that's more colorful than this. The gameplay is very unique. It has very well executed third person shooter action and the story is spot on. The graphics are very surprising because of how old the recommmended graphics cards are. They did a very good job with the graphics. The sound isThis game is incredible. I have played over 70 MMO's in my lifetime and never have I come across one that's more colorful than this. The gameplay is very unique. It has very well executed third person shooter action and the story is spot on. The graphics are very surprising because of how old the recommmended graphics cards are. They did a very good job with the graphics. The sound is mixed, because enviromental is well done but I can't say the same thing for the weapon sounds. The lore is very interesting and entertaining, because of the television show connected to this game. The PVP is very skilled based, where only a few rounds fired makes the difference of whether you survive or not against your opponent. I haven't played any other game since I have bought this. Defiance is probably one of the best MMO's I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I am 100% satisfied with the $100 I have spent for this game. I couldn't ask for very much more in a perfect game. Expand
  36. Apr 15, 2013
    I don't write reviews for games. In fact I don't often rate them. I can say that this game and the scores that it is getting made me feel the need to in order to get this right.

I have to say that Defiance starts out extremely slow and at first appears to be every bad cliché of FPS gaming possible. I almost quit playing very early, but I felt after spending the money that I should at least give it a solid go.

After getting through the initial training portion and using trial and error to figure out what was going on, because the information for the game is very limited. I was able to find a gem buried inside. I now honestly have found what I might refer to as a guilty pleasure. You see so many bad and mediocre reviews, but I think it's from people who didn't get past the initial mediocrity.

Once you get in and just start playing it for what it is you begin to find moments of brilliance. I can jump in and out of the game quickly and play for a few minutes or a few hours which in my busy life is a great thing. I don't have countless hours to spend playing, and that works fine within the game's structure. I find that the guns and shields and other collectibles catch my attention and keep me wanting more. The ark falls in the game which happen as semi random events are tremendously fun, if a little easy and repetitive at times. I love all of the little mini events all over and the unusual guns have me excited every time I get a new drop.

This gives me the MMO experience that I would not have time for otherwise and I am able to play this shooter with people that I would not be able to compete with in any other game. That's not to say that the playing ground is level with the shooter diehards. Just that I can at least feel like I'm not wasting my time playing.

I am excited to see what new things they will add and I have high hopes for Defiance's future. I am iffy about the show tie in, but I'll give a watch for a few times by way of DVR and see if it's any good. I haven't had a lot of great experiences with the Sci Fi networks shows as being high quality. Here's hoping for an ever improving game and a show on the Sci Fi network that I might actually like.
  37. Apr 15, 2013
    Despite the terrible reviews most have laid down on us, I believe Defiance deserves more appreciation. It has done more than any game has previously, bringing a MMO to the two top consoles and PC. As we all know, MMO's have room to grow and improve in a single patch, which means more content and bug fixes as they see fit. I also believe that they knew the new upcoming TV show would notDespite the terrible reviews most have laid down on us, I believe Defiance deserves more appreciation. It has done more than any game has previously, bringing a MMO to the two top consoles and PC. As we all know, MMO's have room to grow and improve in a single patch, which means more content and bug fixes as they see fit. I also believe that they knew the new upcoming TV show would not only back up the storyline of the game, but make it a whole different experience and suck you into the saga of Defiance. Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2013
    I can't why people put so bad ratings to this game,It's a really good game with very good ideas.
    I just make my acount in metacritic to say this,obviusly the game can be improved if we talk about bugs,but who MMO doesn,t have any?
    I have been playing 3 days non stop,10 hours per day,and i can really say is something that other games cant make me do it. Whoever has give to the game less
    Whoever has give to the game less than 7,8 should try to play it with some friends,and the game will become in a 9,7 points game.

The system of taking cover and even cover your partners while they activate a mission objetive is awesome!, worth it to play it.
  39. Jun 6, 2013
    Do not get fooled by flashy and amazing videos of this mmorpg...
    1st of all, there is a lot of what you can see in those videos, that never been implemented in the game.
    Crazy vehicles, interactive weather system, thousands of weapons etc, you wont find in Defiance. Also the game itself was supposed to be revolutionary, with a lot of players interactions between the TV series on SyFy
    Do not get fooled by flashy and amazing videos of this mmorpg...
    Also the game itself was supposed to be revolutionary, with a lot of players interactions between the TV series on SyFy channel and the actual game... It is NOT.

Defiance is a simple online shooter with a storyline... Although a storyline so short (2 weeks of gameplay) and a map so small, that i found myself having nothing to do after only 2 or 3 weeks of gameplay. Once you're done with the storyline, you will be doing a series of highly repetitive side missions, with the same voice over, again and again, which can be done in no time as well.
    And then it is pvp time for you, or you'll find Defiance quite boring, and really fast.

For 60$ (Now 39$ since the reviews were terrible) i would have give a good average score if the game itself would have been around 20$ at launch, which would have been a fair price for such a small game.
    But unfortunately, Defiance has been one of the major let down for me, since Aliens Colonial Marines.

The combat music is monotone, and on a perpetual loop...
    smallest map ever on any mmorpgs i've played so far.
    Ridiculous weapon system, with no real impact on any stats whatsoever.
    Repetitive boring side missions
    Shortest main storyline ever created.
    3 kinds of vehicles, with no weapons mounted on them whatsoever.
    No weather system, boring "Rift like" arkfalls, No big rewards, and lame Achievement system.
    Almost non-existent in game store, selling armours you can get in game for free...just different colours.
    NO economy whatsoever, No auction system, no brokers, no crafting.
    No real goals, no immersion, no feelings or attachment to the main characters.
    No real interactive tie to the TV series, unless some minimal impacts.

The only thing this game has, is good graphics, visuals, effects and cosmetics.
    But even with that, as a shooter 1st, the mmorpgs element aren't there at all.
    Its a good little shooter game you'll want to try once it'll go down 20$ or 14$.

So wait until it comes down as for the price.
  40. Apr 5, 2013
    tiny game world and lack of content, extremely repetitive gameplay, utter lack of meaningful progression, easily glitched ranked missions, painfully bad UI. You can do all this game does in other titles for free or way less money. Hell even Firefly which is in beta has more content than this game. Bloggers will hype it to push an agenda but this game is awful for 60 dollars.
  41. Apr 2, 2013
    Really is a very fast game very fun accesible and playable, very very fun played with friends, im enjoy it.dont a crysis graphics but dont necessary..... a great game for me. thanks for create trion!!
  42. Apr 4, 2013
    Starts out very fun, but quickly the combination of bugs (almost all of which are longstanding known issues), lack of any meaningful social features, lack of any expected MMO features, tiny game world and lack of content, extremely repetitive gameplay, utter lack of meaningful progression, easily glitched ranked missions, painfully bad UI, and a host of other issues quickly turn theStarts out very fun, but quickly the combination of bugs (almost all of which are longstanding known issues), lack of any meaningful social features, lack of any expected MMO features, tiny game world and lack of content, extremely repetitive gameplay, utter lack of meaningful progression, easily glitched ranked missions, painfully bad UI, and a host of other issues quickly turn the experience sour.

Once the new game smell wears off on this one, and honestly it isn't going to take long, things are going to get real ugly real fast.
  43. Apr 4, 2013
    God awful. Who cares about looking at bigger pictures or embracing a sub par game just because it is an MMO. The AI is by far the worst with a player having to be about 2 feet away to pull them into attacking. Bad graphics and terrible controls. If you want to be disappointed and even more bored than usual with grinding out to level up then by all means buy this game. Otherwise sate yourGod awful. Who cares about looking at bigger pictures or embracing a sub par game just because it is an MMO. The AI is by far the worst with a player having to be about 2 feet away to pull them into attacking. Bad graphics and terrible controls. If you want to be disappointed and even more bored than usual with grinding out to level up then by all means buy this game. Otherwise sate your MMO fix elsewhere. Expand
  44. Apr 10, 2013
    Not worth your time or money. Utterly lifeless world with zero social interaction for someone not playing with friends, and there is no feeling of personality that you should get in a good video game world. You've seen everything in this game before, but only done better in other games (mix Rift and Borderlands together and port it to consoles and you get the picture). The game shouldNot worth your time or money. Utterly lifeless world with zero social interaction for someone not playing with friends, and there is no feeling of personality that you should get in a good video game world. You've seen everything in this game before, but only done better in other games (mix Rift and Borderlands together and port it to consoles and you get the picture). The game should be on sale for something much more appropriate, I feel as though my $60 was wasted on this one. Expand
  45. Apr 4, 2013
    Feels like Borderlands, without the Crazy Humour, the sick amount of loot, and little to nothing thought goes into your build.
    The setting is interesting but it's clearly made more for a TV show than a game. Haven't tested balance yet up to lvl 4000 might be nigh unkillable for normal players if it continues to scale like it does the first 400 levels.
  46. Apr 4, 2013
    Mhh It was too good to be true. After 2 Days of playing this Game, i have no more fun. The game menu is horrible. Graphics are good for the Unreal 3 Engine. The game is played through quickly and then? World is too small and it makes me at least no fun.
  47. Apr 10, 2013
    Don't let the positive reviews fool you. This game is an early Beta at best. While some elements of the game are fun, they are extremely overshadowed by the bugs and lack of depth. I think eventually the game will be patched to make it playable but right now the issues make it boring and frustrating. Also this is a direct console port game so expect it to look like a game from 1999 not aDon't let the positive reviews fool you. This game is an early Beta at best. While some elements of the game are fun, they are extremely overshadowed by the bugs and lack of depth. I think eventually the game will be patched to make it playable but right now the issues make it boring and frustrating. Also this is a direct console port game so expect it to look like a game from 1999 not a current title. Expand
  48. Apr 11, 2013
    I just feel kind of neutral about this game. I think some of the ideas behind it could be exciting. A really good Borderlands MMORPG would be wonderful, but unfortunately the more you play Defiance the more you realise it has many many flaws. The first problem really is that the game was designed for consoles and PCs at the same time. It looks like because of the limitations ofI just feel kind of neutral about this game. I think some of the ideas behind it could be exciting. A really good Borderlands MMORPG would be wonderful, but unfortunately the more you play Defiance the more you realise it has many many flaws. The first problem really is that the game was designed for consoles and PCs at the same time. It looks like because of the limitations of consoles, the PC version got the short end of the stick. The PC version has really really unintuitive menus that are extremely clunky which are much more suited for a console system. The UI is so bad, that it does really diminish any fun the game has to offer. There is limited inventory space, which means you have to constantly go into the UI menu to breakdown items you get. This would normally be easy with a mouse interface, Instead its 4-5 clicks in a window that is full screen. I can't say the number of times I've died because I wanted to pick up a gun, but in the process of breaking down an item, mobs spawned and killed me without warning. The UI also provides other problems in that quickly identifying which guns are better than others is really hard when you first start. This is combined with the really awkward way they implemented moding weapons.

The Ego "Perks" system is a horribly aborted and badly implemented talent system. The two main problems are:

1) All the "talents" have to be placed in perk spots, but you often have too few spots to place all the talents you invested ego points into. Its like putting points into a talent tree, but then only having the ability to select 3 of those talents to use, even though you may have placed points into 8 talents. The ego perks
    2) The perks are horribly uninteresting, and to top it off any perks you can't unlock at the moment are locked and their descriptions hidden so you have no idea what perks you want to head towards.

The quests and storyline are really poorly done. The quests are extremely repetitive, and do nothing to advance the story. It takes hours of gameplay to come across the first interesting storyline, and its spoiled by really awful cutscenes and voice acting. In a world that seems as interesting as this and has a tie-in television series, I'm shocked they couldn't have developed a gripping storyline with requisite quests from the start.

The combat is generally fun. Unlike some shooters, there is a sense of reward if you aim more carefully, and most mobs don't feel like bullet sponges. Ammo for the most part is readily available via ammo crates, and mobs drop usually an ample supply of ammo. I haven't PVPed so I can't combat on balance in that domain, but just in questing it is clear that some types of guns are generally useless.

Unfortunately this game does seem to suffer from server side performance issues during arkfalls, and I notice the combat is much less responsive when there are 10 more people in a close area. I've also encountered a few bugs, where my weapon starts to aim upwards in areas with higher player density. The "arkfalls" are badly done, and give generally uninteresting rewards. They are nowhere near as engaging as other games public quests or even rifts in Rift.

The graphics of this game like the UI are limited by the fact this is released on consoles as well. But even worse than just graphics, the actual artwork and environments are just plain boring. I'm not sure how they made the San Francisco bay area look so boring. There simply isn't much style or effort gone into making this game look great despite the possible technical limitations of consoles.

In summary, this game has a pretty good combat system, but I'm really disappointed as it could have been so much more. I'm not sure how Trion misstepped so much considering all the good things they did with Rift, and it makes me wonder whether or not this game was rushed. I think its biggest downfall is the really disappointing storyline, and really generic and uninteresting quests.
  49. Apr 12, 2013
    this game has some very bipolar reviews. but i gave this game a review it deserves. iv played a lot of mmos and iv gotten board with them all the combats repetitive and boring and i want to go to sleep. But when i played defiance i felt so excited and drawn in. At one part i was being swarmed on all sides so i went in a house and started sniping the mutant horde attacking me and when theythis game has some very bipolar reviews. but i gave this game a review it deserves. iv played a lot of mmos and iv gotten board with them all the combats repetitive and boring and i want to go to sleep. But when i played defiance i felt so excited and drawn in. At one part i was being swarmed on all sides so i went in a house and started sniping the mutant horde attacking me and when they broke through i took a position in the hallways and held them of. It felt dynamic and unscripted i chose to hide in the house and fight them off like that. it made me feel more excited than any game ever has. was excited this game isn't perfect but it shows the possibility of a dynamic mmo shooter and that's more than enough for a ten to me. Expand
  50. Apr 25, 2013
    So......yeah....where to start really...Worst inventory system ever, only 2 weapons at a time, picking up new weapons equips them requiring you to go into the awful inventory to re-equip the weapon you were holding at the time. Pitiful number of bag slots, no social aspect, god awful AI.
    Fun vehicles for about 30 seconds...
    Don't just don't bother, play borderlands instead. This IS
    Fun vehicles for about 30 seconds...

Don't just don't bother, play borderlands instead. This IS NOT an MMO. it's a singleplayer game that a lot of people are playing at the same time
  51. Apr 6, 2013
    all the haters its a fun ass mmo shooter more story based than rpg focused but thats why they also made rift if your more for the latter. Its more realistically an 8 though
  52. Apr 6, 2013
    A fun new game. This game has held my attention from the start. I have been playing it since the first beta and alpha until now. I have played so many MMO's over the years and have been disappointed with lack of new content. I wanted something new and different. It's great to finally have a game that is exciting and new. This game does have it's glitches and bugs. The developersA fun new game. This game has held my attention from the start. I have been playing it since the first beta and alpha until now. I have played so many MMO's over the years and have been disappointed with lack of new content. I wanted something new and different. It's great to finally have a game that is exciting and new. This game does have it's glitches and bugs. The developers have come a very long way from pre-launch. I am amazed at all the fixes they did, even up to a week before launch. The Trion team is very receptive and quick with fixing the issues and listening to their customers. I am looking forward to playing this game for a long time to come and watching the TV show on Syfy. Expand
  53. Apr 8, 2013
    The game is trying too hard to be too many things. This leaves the game feeling very broad, but having virtually zero depth. This, coupled with game crashes that the majority of users seems to be experiencing, leave me wondering if this game was ever truly finished, or simply rushed out the door. With many F2P options out there, I am disappointed I paid for this game.
  54. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is really not interesting at all, I had the chance to watch the game "grow" during early progress. And everytime I restarted it, i had no interest in playing it longer than ~30 minutes. I see almost no immersion in this game, the story is "strange" and stopped interesting me from the start. The effect are good bad the textures and animations are very ugly compared to other recentThis game is really not interesting at all, I had the chance to watch the game "grow" during early progress. And everytime I restarted it, i had no interest in playing it longer than ~30 minutes. I see almost no immersion in this game, the story is "strange" and stopped interesting me from the start. The effect are good bad the textures and animations are very ugly compared to other recent MMO. And one other big negative point is the business strategy: Buy2Play 50€, and announced DLC's after a few month for additional 8-9€ (calculated from the season pass price). So its like a small Buy2Play for a game that is not worth its money at all, in my opinion. Summarized this makes 3/10 for Defiance. Expand
  55. Apr 6, 2013
    Let me start by saying that I took time to create this account just for the review as well as leave my 110 pound woman in bed to write this. This game is awful. Clunky UI. Meh graffix. Go to point A and kill some guys. Now to point B same thing.........over and over. Yes every game has repetitiveness but a good game will "hide" this by intriguing story or awesome game play.
    The grouping
    The grouping system is horrible. Controls are bad. AI looks like it was programmed by a ten year old on a Speak and Spell. Everything about the game is wonky. Even leaving the game you press L, hold space bar, radial tab to settings, click exit game twice..................

DO not get roped in to playing this. Yes your first hour is fun because its new but after three days of waiting for the game to get good,,,it just doesnt......................
  56. Apr 5, 2013
    I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am in this game. It's like someone took a high school video game project and patched in some awful multiplayer code. It offers nothing new, the documentation is lacking, the gameplay is stale, the quests are boring.

But there's one thing that blows my mind: it costs the same as a premium game, BUT IT'S STILL FREEMIUM. You read that right. A full-priced game, with the stupid freemium model built-in. Absolute BS.
  57. Apr 6, 2013
    Borderlands meets Fallout 3 meets Rift.
    Pros:
    -fantastic gameplay -some of the best combat I've ever experienced in an MMO -no subscription fees -looks great on high settings -PvP is very fun, especially Shadow Wars -4 man instances are superb -some fun vehicles to cruise around the map in -Arkfalls (world events) -tons of tons of weapons to customize and use Cons: -bugs, a
    Borderlands meets Fallout 3 meets Rift.
    Pros:
    -fantastic gameplay
    -some of the best combat I've ever experienced in an MMO
    -no subscription fees
    -looks great on high settings
    -PvP is very fun, especially Shadow Wars
    -4 man instances are superb
    -some fun vehicles to cruise around the map in
    -Arkfalls (world events)
    -tons of tons of weapons to customize and use

Cons:
    -bugs, a lot of them, mostly minor ones but its quite frustrating to deal with
    -will seem short in its current state if you aren't into pvp
    -some features painfully broken (voice chat) or lacking (text chat) or missing
    -limited storage, no bank outside your inventory, Trion trying to get you to buy extra inventory space
  58. Apr 12, 2013
    I had to give this game a emotionless score id probably say 7/10. Its not perfect it has a lot of issues but nothing game breaking bad. some aspects can seem repetitive but the game does a good job of keeping things fast passed and moving. Besides your standard RPG questing elements their is also Co-op and PVP. AI is not perfect but no worse then your average AAA title so i cant reallyI had to give this game a emotionless score id probably say 7/10. Its not perfect it has a lot of issues but nothing game breaking bad. some aspects can seem repetitive but the game does a good job of keeping things fast passed and moving. Besides your standard RPG questing elements their is also Co-op and PVP. AI is not perfect but no worse then your average AAA title so i cant really ding them on it. This is also true with the voice acting a cut scenes, most MMO's don't even have it so I'm not really sure why people have taken such an issue with it. I feel like the story is interesting and keeps me moving forward so i can't say share any of complaints that other reviews have brought up.

Trion has done a great job at fixing issues and paying players back with free items and boosts for the down time and the minor server issues that occurred the first few days.

I'm adding a point for how much fun I'm having playing this game i am enjoying this much more than many other AAA titles i have payed for. Yeah this game is not WOW or GW2 but it has a lot going for it and has kept me entertained long enough that i easily have gotten 60$ i spent on it. Trion's honesty willingness to step up and make up for issues has been a big Also giving it an extra point for the Syfy tie in, while it's far from perfect this is ground breaking and i know i will enjoy both the Game and the TV show more because i can take part in both. I feel like my money is going to two companies that are at least trying to give me as a customer something new and revolutionary that many of the AAA developers seem to have no interest in even trying.

So that is why I'm giving this game a 9/10 even with its flaws I'm having more fun playing this video game then i have had in a long time better than Bioshock and Borderlands which says a lot. If you are a hard core gamer looking for perfection this game might not be for you. However I think if you are a casual gamer, like shooters, love the Syfy channel, and are willing to give a game from a smaller developer a chance you will enjoy this game as much as me.
  59. Apr 12, 2013
    If you are trying to judge this as a MMO, it will far short of your expectations. It doesn't have traditional levels, auction houses, crafting, or grinding for your first mount. What it is is a very good third person shooter. Very gratifying shooter gameplay. Sniping is fun, LMGs are fun, shotguns are fun. Any game that captures my attention for more than 40-hours is worth my money.If you are trying to judge this as a MMO, it will far short of your expectations. It doesn't have traditional levels, auction houses, crafting, or grinding for your first mount. What it is is a very good third person shooter. Very gratifying shooter gameplay. Sniping is fun, LMGs are fun, shotguns are fun. Any game that captures my attention for more than 40-hours is worth my money. I'm one of those people who stop playing a game the instant it is no longer fun. Expand
  60. Apr 13, 2013
    Alright a few things first off this game doesn't deserve a 10 out of 10 but nor does it deserve anything lower than a 5 for any reasonable reviewer. Personally I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, it's got an interesting story, the quests are normal for mmo's, people complain you run here do this and go back and do it for another quest, I'm sorry but I've yet to play an mmo that doesn't do thatAlright a few things first off this game doesn't deserve a 10 out of 10 but nor does it deserve anything lower than a 5 for any reasonable reviewer. Personally I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, it's got an interesting story, the quests are normal for mmo's, people complain you run here do this and go back and do it for another quest, I'm sorry but I've yet to play an mmo that doesn't do that with it quests, there are only so many quest variations out there for mmo's so come on lol. The visuals aren't terrible but they aren't the best either, reasons for that are I believe they made the game to play on a wide variety of systems and pc setups. My biggest gripe with the game is you can tell the pc version is pretty much a port of the console version, but with that being said those things can be worked on and ironed out. The game isn't bad by any means and it does have the potential to get better. A lot of the issues people are complaining about can and I'm sure will be taken care of in time people cast aside a game too easily before it has a chance to really take off. While it's nowhere near the best game I've ever played I can see myself playing and enjoying the game for sometime to come. I look forward to checking out the show and seeing how the game and show really come together. Expand
  61. Apr 18, 2013
    I have never in all my years playing an MMO stayed with the storyline for longer than the first couple of minutes, I end up skipping through the cut scenes and not actually understanding the story of the game, I simply play for the sake of playing, or playing to win.

This game is the ONLY game I have been stuck watching the story all the way through, I've actually been eager to start the next part of the main quest. Needless to say I personally feel that this game engages me and from what I can understand an awful lot of other people as well.

I find the community thus far simply the most helpful community I have ever come across, people help out without even asking. I find myself going from quest to quest and even stopping to help other people if I see them doing a quest of their own, no one complains or about things, perhaps this is due to the 18+ tag? I don't know but I'm thoroughly impressed.

There are glitches and bugs yet to be ironed out (One thing I find the most annoying is in a buggy hit a tyre in the middle of the road and stop dead! :D quite funny really, not the end of the world, just avoid them. I've come across a couple of bugged quests, however I can clearly see this development team and community manager making changes, changes for the good.

I've felt overall this game has been the most immersing, different and a potential contender to World of Warcraft, different concept but equally as enjoyable, the next generation of MMO's.

All I see around the internet the majority of critic reviews are mediocre to average at best reviews. What is this new release being benchmarked against to get such conservative reviews?

I'd hasten to add that Trion are behind RIFT which is probably second to WoW which as with every MMO, this included started off with bugs and improvements you will never be able to make without a huge player base.

Get off their back and give credit where credit is due. This is simply the best game of its kind!
  62. Apr 18, 2013
    Defiance is a game that sits in a tough spot. It's probably the first real MMO shooter on the market that has made an effort to bring a solid PvE campaign to the table, as well as maintaining a fleshed out PvP system. Neither is perfect, but both are enjoyable, despite their shortcomings. The game launched with a lot of issues, like most MMOs, but Trion Worlds has clearly been working hardDefiance is a game that sits in a tough spot. It's probably the first real MMO shooter on the market that has made an effort to bring a solid PvE campaign to the table, as well as maintaining a fleshed out PvP system. Neither is perfect, but both are enjoyable, despite their shortcomings. The game launched with a lot of issues, like most MMOs, but Trion Worlds has clearly been working hard to patch those issues out. It feels like a game that was pushed out early to mesh with the premiere of the TV show, which is probably the case. If Trion has shown anything with Rift tho, it's that they're willing to put the work in fix problems and enhance their games.

I have been enjoying Defiance a lot, the enemy AI isn't great, but it's no worse than most MMO enemy AI either. The combat mechanics have a very Borderlands-like feel to them, which is great, and the weapons feel adequately powerful for what they are. The crits sense, the leveling feels good, and the perks are nice. Hopefully the game does well enough long term to justify keeping it running, because I think it gives a lot of us something we could enjoy, an online massive multiplayer shooter that isn't just everyone trying to kill each other, but work together.
  63. May 31, 2013
    Wasn't quite sure what to expect from a shooter based MMO, most of the stuff the game does is pretty good... the controls are sharp, the gunplay is very well done, weapon modding etc is reasonable, driving vehicles around is also mostly done well, the game plays like a mix of LOST PLANET with BORDERLANDS... and for me that's a good mix. My biggest concern is how much of the old MMO fetchWasn't quite sure what to expect from a shooter based MMO, most of the stuff the game does is pretty good... the controls are sharp, the gunplay is very well done, weapon modding etc is reasonable, driving vehicles around is also mostly done well, the game plays like a mix of LOST PLANET with BORDERLANDS... and for me that's a good mix. My biggest concern is how much of the old MMO fetch quests remain in this game... despite a large amount of random quests, it doesn't quite hit Guild Wars 2's grade of fluid, but the combat is certain damn fun and would stand up as well as a single player title. I'd give them more time to get more content into the game, but they been busy fixing most of the bugs so it's forgivable. Expand
  64. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is pretty underrated. It takes a while to get into, but it's a really interesting game once you get into it. Of course there are flaws and glitches, but the game is still very entertaining.

Pros: - TONS to do aside from the main story (side quests, arkfalls, sieges, etc) - Combat system is great - Takes quite a while to overpower the enemies in the beginner areas - The

Pros:
    - TONS to do aside from the main story (side quests, arkfalls, sieges, etc)
    - Combat system is great
    - Takes quite a while to overpower the enemies in the beginner areas
    - The customization is alright
    - Tons of loot
    - Co-op is great
    - Driving around is fun

Cons:
    - Some enemies and concepts are ripped straight from Borderlands 2
    - Main story is extremely short
    - Not very many boss fights
    - Difficulty in the main story rarely increases, then instantly gets about 3x harder at the final boss
    - Would be a lot better with more melee combat
    - The world is kind of small (driving end to end on the map probably takes 5 minutes)
    - PvP is pretty bad (except for Shadow War)

Overall, the game was able to suck me in for 40 hours so far though I haven't played it in nearly a week. With some work, this game could be great. Hopefully the DLC will make some improvements.
  65. Nov 21, 2013
    I think that most of the problems that people talk about when they have one with Defiance have been fixed. I waited to pick the game up until it went on Steam sale and it is one of the best game buys I have made in a long time.

I read all about everyone saying that there is this bug or that bug, but I have about 50 hours of gameplay now and only ran into 1 which was corrected by relogging. There are many little tiny things with the game that I wish were changed but it doesnt take away from the running around and shooting that is Defiance. They are small things with like menu navigation or how loadouts work. But it doesnt take anything away from gameplay.

With the price sitting at 9.99 and no monthly fee, all i want to know is... Can you afford not to try it?
  66. Jun 5, 2014
    I have spent 522 hours playing this game in the past 3 months, I got to say that the game has potential, but unfortunately there's a lot of bugs within the game that make the experience completely frustrating adding the lack of quality customer service. It seems that they are more focusing in giving a copy/paste response and blame the developers which by the way will never give you anyI have spent 522 hours playing this game in the past 3 months, I got to say that the game has potential, but unfortunately there's a lot of bugs within the game that make the experience completely frustrating adding the lack of quality customer service. It seems that they are more focusing in giving a copy/paste response and blame the developers which by the way will never give you any kind of response for any in game generated bug report. So basically there's no feedback if your issue is going to get resolved or not, One thing that I would like to rescue out of this game is the forums community which seems to be really strong and has more lore than what you could acquire with their developers or CS reps.
    Now as a closing, all this game experience leave me with a bitter taste. Trion Worlds would be definitely a company similar to Turbine Inc but even worst.
  67. Aug 31, 2014
    Finished all the main quests today, as it appears theres nothing else left other than grinding same stuff over again, and with how dissapointing pvp turned out to be its time to move on. Its shame this game is such a mess as the world based on series is a great concept, and overall idea is nice.

pros: - cool idea to mix mmo with a series and add new quests related to it as the show

pros:
    - cool idea to mix mmo with a series and add new quests related to it as the show progresses
    - visuals are okay, nothing amazing though
    - quite big map and it was fun to explore it
    - some nice weapon ideas
    - quest cinematics were quite well done (at least for the first half of it)

cons:
    - very limited options, game looks and behaves like a bad console port
    - if you havent watched the series, main quest makes little sense
    - most of the costumes you get look very similiar
    - the amount of bugs is pretty crazy considering game is over year old (models going invisible, random lag spikes/crashes - game doesnt even pop an error for about 10 mins, making you run arround when you are disconnected, vehicles dissapearing sometimes while you mount them, crosshair disspearing and going console mode (no crosshair and auto aim) randomly, theres propably more, thats all I remembered
    - half way through main quests they have diffrent voice actors, with HUGE decrease in quality both in acting and actual audio quality that sounds like home made recording
    - quests are very repetitive, basically only 4-5 variants of mission over and over, either bring something, go somewhere or kill few waves of enemies
    - theres no storage for your characters
    - skills are mostly passives, with only 4 actives to choose from, can only use one
    - a lot of game content locked behind dlc paywall
    - co-op instances and missions were incredibly boring, just waves after waves until you get to boss
    - no classes
    - only 2 pvp modes
    - the pvp in the game is horrible mess, it looks like alpha state. Theres a ton of glitches, wallhackers, aimbots, and apparently dev doesnt care about making a proper anti cheat or even banning hackers, most basic stuff using cheat engine seems to work, ppl using blatant speed hacks and dmg hacks. Then comes the problem with weapons, the only viable ones are sniper rifles, grenade launchers, shotguns and infectors, funnily enough except the sniper all of those require little to no aiming, aoe weapons hitting as hard or harder than single target ones. You either use the glitches and the overpowered weapons or you gimp yourself
    - felt more like single player game for the most part

tl;dr
    Play it only if you enjoyed the series and want nostalgia ride, otherwise stay away. You can get about 20-30 hours doing only main quests, but to be honest I quite regret doing even that, at it was plain dissapointing for the majority of it.
  68. Oct 25, 2014
    Bad AI, boring game play, bad voice acting, an obvious money grab using the IP of a TV series that is meh at best, it's also as grindy as the day is long, and ran (badly) by Trion, nuff said.
  69. Apr 5, 2013
    Defiance is an average, painfully repetitive game, but it is oddly addictive.

The game is very bare bones, there are only a handful of missions and they are repeated throughout the game. The weapons rarely feel unique, you get your RPG's, AR's, pistols, sniper rifles and so on, but most feel weak and you'll stick to one or two through most of the game. The missions themselves are
    Defiance is an average, painfully repetitive game, but it is oddly addictive.

The missions themselves are very dull, go here, kill all the enemies, activate an object and kill more enemies. The story is pretty bland with main characters that are cliche and boring. The fact that your character doesn't have the ability to speak or even show emotion during the cutscenes leaves little reason to watch them. At first they're a nice break from the constant shooting, but I quickly found myself skipping them as they were just boring, poorly animated scenes of NPC's standing around talking about why I need to go to a location and kill some more.

The Arkfall's are pretty interesting, they don't really bring anything new to the game, but stick with them and a large enough group of players will arrive making for some chaotic fun. The vehicle controls are poor, the vehicles feel like they're made of cardboard and using the W,A,S and D keys to control them doesn't help.

The whole MMO thing doesn't really work for this game, at least on the PC. I've never grouped up with people or needed help on a mission, and I rarely see anyone speak as the chat interface is awful and most people either ignore or don't realise it's there.

Overall the game has some fun to be had, but it's not worth the asking price. Wait for a large price drop first.
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    The UI in this game is the biggest problem. If they were to fix the UI and have real weapon progression/character progression they would probably have a hit on their hands. There are no levels in this game, just an EGO rating. If you log in as a new character and pvp against someone who has played 100 hours you basically are equal strength. Their excuse is that if they had actualThe UI in this game is the biggest problem. If they were to fix the UI and have real weapon progression/character progression they would probably have a hit on their hands. There are no levels in this game, just an EGO rating. If you log in as a new character and pvp against someone who has played 100 hours you basically are equal strength. Their excuse is that if they had actual levels they would have to separate us in pvp and pve, not a good excuse, every other MMo does it. I don't want a game that does not reward progression. Don't buy this game if you think its an MMO because it is not. Expand
  71. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is just boring. There is nothing else to say about it. It is just plain boring. I also do not like that the cursor slows down when you aim. I played the beta and it just sucks, I am very sorry but. Nothing i heard from any reviews by youtubers were excited, it feels washed up and bland. A lot of fake reviews obviously rating it good, no surprise there.
  72. May 12, 2013
    A lot of false reporting going on from people who don't understand how the game works. One person said the arkfalls are not even following lore, perhaps that person should take some time to read lore before mis-informing people on here.

Bugs, sure there are some bugs, they are working on fixing them, you think they are just going to keep them in the game? Bugged pursuits you can contact a gm on live chat and have them fixed, I have 91/104 pursuits completed from season 1 so far, and all of the pursuits from episode content complete, so clearly these people are either lying or don't understand how to contact support.

Some of reviews have stated theres not many rpg elements or player progression, that's just false. This is not a typical mmo where if you go kill the dragon 10+ times you will eventually get that awesome flaming greatsword of doom. You have to earn your improvements, little by little, you have to know what kind of synergys and mods go well with what weapons, and then combine those with certain powers and most importantly perks. Many don't seem to understand how to do this, which is why I can score upwards of 5 million damage at an arkfall while the second place guy only has 1 million. I have over 320 hours played and I still don't have all the perk slots unlocked, if you don't find perks important, then I guarantee your one of the many people who score well below me on arkfalls and co-ops because you don't understand how to use them.

I could go on, but my point being, people played this game a few days, mabey a few weeks and then gave up, because they don't understand how things work (they think they do) or they say there is a "lack of content". I have over 320 hours played at this point and I am alarmed at the announcement of the first dlc content(not release date), as I was hoping to finish with everything from the core game before any dlc came out...so "lack of content"...yeah..sure....says the people who are less than 2k EGO, no where near half the pursuits completed, and probably have a rather poor arsenal at there disposal (because all the guns are the same...lol)

The tv-tie in is going to increase as both the show and game progress, 2 of the main characters were already in the game, and we have another character crossing over very shortly. For those who thought they were going to be able to alter the show by playing the game...well....really? You think they would leave a show that costs millions of dollars to produce in the hands of video game players? No, the show will effect the game, not the other way around.

Many of the "issues" people currently have are being addressed via patches and dlc. The game is growing, rapidly, 5 dlc's are scheduled for this year. Each of them comes with a $10 dollar price tag, or you can buy all 5 in advance for $40 and receive a few in game perks. Each dlc also comes with a free component in order to not alienate the player base, if you buy the dlc and your friend does not, he can still play the content with you, but he will not receive certain rewards and items associated with that dlc.

Essentially you have a free to play mmo, with lots of free dlc on the way, as well as new content added weekly that is also....you guessed it...free. Check it out for yourself, listening to people who probably have not even beat the boss is not the way to go.
  73. Jul 24, 2013
    Those devs are such trolls why they lower the price to 49,99 EUROS TO 29,99 EUROS AND NOW 9,99 IM SO ANGRY TRION WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! I LOVED RIFT AND NOW RIFT IS FREE TO PLAY AND NOW DEFIANCE IS 9,99
  74. Apr 23, 2013
    This game doesn't even deserve a rating of 1
    I bought the game, and don't get me wrong, it IS fun! But For people that don't play many mmo's or mmorpgs. However, if you look into it, the character customization is pretty much..... less then nothing! MMORPG's or MMOS (shooters) should at least give SOME character customization, but this game has non.
    For in-game combat, its just as
    This game doesn't even deserve a rating of 1
    For in-game combat, its just as repetitive as many, however, like i said, for someone who hasn't played many MMO's. This game is for you. It's a great start to the MMO world. But compared to others... it is dog poop on the bottom of the shoe
  75. Apr 7, 2013
    Trion is still ironing out the bugs. But when it works, it's very fun. Also excited to learn more about the world they've created.

Plays kind of like Mass Effect and RIFT mashed together.
  76. Apr 14, 2013
    Very addictive game! A must to have if you are the kind of guy who play with friends or clan. The graphic is not exellent but the map is big and no big load of the maps
  77. Apr 14, 2013
    Anything that is tied to SyFy starts me out skeptical. I wanted to have high hopes for this title when I first heard the concept. When I heard that it was Trion developing it, I wanted to believe that it could be as good as Rift is. The end result was that when I initially got my hands on it (Beta 3), I was expecting very little. Thankfully, I was surprised by what I got.

After the beta

After the beta ended, I couldn't help but find myself wanting to play it more. And I have a host of other MMOs that I'm currently enthralled with. So when it went live, I went ahead and picked it up. I've watched the trailers for both the game and the show and I must say that I'm impressed... so far.

That being said, I'm enjoying the gameplay, if not the story as well. It's a setting that both appeals to me and has been vastly under-served thus far. I like it. At least give it a shot before you dog it. It might just be your thing, too!
  78. Apr 15, 2013
    Defiance is a nicely balanced shooter. Although it can be repetitive, (no more that any typical MMO) the amount of content is staggering. This will only be expanded with the five promised DLC packs. The complaints of bugs and glitches are rampant, but very concentrated. Trion seems to be consistently updating and improving their game.

If you enjoy shooters and/or MMOs then this is a

If you enjoy shooters and/or MMOs then this is a safe buy, even at it's full $60 price tag. The game seems that it will appreciate with age.
  79. Apr 16, 2013
    This game is going to deliver content in a way that no other game has. By tying directly into the TV show, weekly content updates will keep the game fresh from week to week. A lot of people are asking what the end game is, but the character of the plot is much different. This is not a Max Payne or a Half Life who's plots more resemble a movie from start to finish. Nor is it an open worldThis game is going to deliver content in a way that no other game has. By tying directly into the TV show, weekly content updates will keep the game fresh from week to week. A lot of people are asking what the end game is, but the character of the plot is much different. This is not a Max Payne or a Half Life who's plots more resemble a movie from start to finish. Nor is it an open world free for all like WoW or Rift.

Rather, this game is a slow trickle of unique content developed continuously and released weekly just like all your favorite television shows. People will be tuning in every Monday for the new missions and pursuits.

Some people say this game tires easily and so far they're right. The driving force in the long game will become apparent once people begin to experience the weekly updates. The value of this game will continue to grow. 6 months from now, the amount of available content will be significantly higher than at launch.
  80. Apr 16, 2013
    The game installed in about an hour and has run perfect so far. One of the most bug free installed in recent memory. I've played this for 2 days now and have become addicted. It's basically like a fps (a good one) in an antisocial MMO. I say antisocial because no one talks to each other. Your basically playing an MMO where you run in groups and kill like crazy. Love it.

The

The interface needs work and the inventory system needs work but other than that it's great.
  81. Apr 17, 2013
    Well, if you want to buy this, prepare yourself. it is not awesome. nor it is not so bad. but wish its money was a bit cheaper. i think it doesnt worth its current money. i paid and iam a bit disappointed.

still, shooting mechanics are well done, physics are ok. sounds and visuals r good. if you can buy it cheaper it is a good game.
  82. Apr 23, 2013
    This game is FUN to play. I am confused as to a lot of the 0-2 reviews. I think a lot of people played it for five minutes, got bored, and tossed it before the game got to the level where combat became challenging and interesting.

The game starts out in "Easy" mode. This means the only enemies you run into are mutants that stand still and shoot at you. This is so those of us with less experience in shooters have a chance to learn the controls. If you keep playing, the game gets harder, and therefore more interesting. You have to consider how to approach a group of enemies. You can't always charge in, stand in one place, and shoot people. Now you have to take cover. Now you have to try to eliminate shielded enemies first. Now you try to snipe their heavy damage enemies first so you can then deal with the peons.

This is an MMO. If you don't have the patience for server downtime and bugs, you MUST WAIT a few months before buying it. I waited two weeks, and by then the game now has almost no server downtime, I have no lag, and the game runs flawlessly. The few minor bugs I ran into are not game breaking, and I know they will fix them all in a future patch.

The worst part of this game is the dialogue. It appears to be written by a seven year-old boy that just saw his first boobie. In one line, a character says "Who is this pretty girl and why is she mad at me?" Yes, there are hundreds of groan-worthy lines like this strewn throughout.

The second problem I have with this game comes from the synergy the game has created with the TV show. It seems the story and info you run across in the game world are intentionally vague, generic and leave out details as to the lore of the world. They developers are worrying too much about treading on the TV show's toes to tell an interesting story which explains and shares the intricacies of this alien infested, war torn world. In future content, I really hope they get that out of the way and try to tell a deeper story that includes more depth into the characters and areas we explore. Right now it just feels like a big empty sandbox and the only people your mute character (good choice... I love playing a game where I get to watch other people talk and make decisions) run into have nothing interesting going on.

My final problem with the game is the lack of information. Certain things seem to continue to go on unexplained. How do you unlock the coop missions? No one knows. It appears to be random at best. How do you modify your equipment? Just keep pressing buttons and you might figure it out. But, if you happen to have any of the equipment EQUIPPED, you will NEVER understand it, because it doesn't give you an error message telling you to first unequip the item before modifying it... Dear lord, do they WANT people to play the game? The only reason you would need to have it unequipped is because there is an arbitrary ten minute timer to add a mod slot to an item, during which you CAN NOT USE THE ITEM, and neither can you even use the weapon modding system during that ten minutes... This seems like a poor choice. Make me pay to add the slot, but don't stop me from playing the game to perform such an arbitrary task.

Play the game for the combat. That's the fun part. Despite all the flaws, it is hella fun to ride around on my 4wheeler, killing aliens, and saving the world from mutant freaks.
  83. Jul 11, 2014
    If a game goes free to play it means it's a failure/dead and you should avoid it. The only content updates they are releasing are laughable cosmetic items such as masks for sale in the in game store. "We’ve added two new cosmetic headgear" I read with excitement in the email they sent me; telling me I should watch the TV show and buy these digital masks that don't do anything. ApparentlyIf a game goes free to play it means it's a failure/dead and you should avoid it. The only content updates they are releasing are laughable cosmetic items such as masks for sale in the in game store. "We’ve added two new cosmetic headgear" I read with excitement in the email they sent me; telling me I should watch the TV show and buy these digital masks that don't do anything. Apparently this game is based on some kind of TV show nobody has ever heard of or watched. After ripping everybody off who paid full price for this game by making it free to play, I advise you to not waste your time on this. Expand
  84. Apr 8, 2013
    Game-play is addictive MMO veteran since Everquest (shows my age). If you are bored of the current MMO's on the market and are looking for something fun and innovative this may be it. Innovative in the fact that this games Ties into the T.V. show. You have to show some love to Trion giving this a shot!

The story has me hooked the game play is FUN. The driving and weapon mechanics are Great! The Tie in to the show and the free DLC you get after every episode will be the Ice breaker for me. There will be at least 5 Extra DLC's at around 9.99 each that we can purchase during the season as well but it will not be mandatory.

I have seen way worse launch's but there are some issues- Big patch out on the 15th should address a-lot of these.

Do yourself a favor and read about progression and game-play before jumping in. This game has a lot to offer that's not fully explained in the tutorial. you level up weapons talent trees and Reputation.

the games social side is a little weak at the moment but does offer VOIP-- But the positive side is that there is no gold sellers spaming. The UI can use some work.

Overall this game keeps me playing everyday and I look forward to seeing the T.V. shows Tie In every week. I have my EGO to 250 20 hours playing and see MUCH potential to this exciting game. Go in with an open mind and you may be surprised how much fun you are having! Hit me up in game.

*Blisters
  85. Apr 17, 2013
    I've played MMO's since there were MMO's and each has different appeals. Defiance is a special gem, it gets the "fun" feel right. Yes, there are rough parts and its UI needs some definite love but frankly it's just so much fun. While some quests are simple there are others where you really benefit from thinking out your tactics and approach. The modding of weapons allowsI've played MMO's since there were MMO's and each has different appeals. Defiance is a special gem, it gets the "fun" feel right. Yes, there are rough parts and its UI needs some definite love but frankly it's just so much fun. While some quests are simple there are others where you really benefit from thinking out your tactics and approach. The modding of weapons allows customization, your "Ego choices" allows you to affect your stats, and frankly it's just complicated enough without becoming unwieldy. I've never given a 10 to any game before, but I think this one has some serious legs to it. I'd strongly recommend folks give it a try if you like shooters in a science fiction setting! (No, I don't work for them!) Expand
  86. Apr 11, 2013
    After playing this game since release and in its current state, I'm giving it an 8. I have no doubt that over time, Trion will get this game up to a 10. The Arkfalls have been some of the most fun at this point. The main story quests are good and the side quests are fairly good but can get a little repetitive. I think the only thing I really don't like about the game is that the AIAfter playing this game since release and in its current state, I'm giving it an 8. I have no doubt that over time, Trion will get this game up to a 10. The Arkfalls have been some of the most fun at this point. The main story quests are good and the side quests are fairly good but can get a little repetitive. I think the only thing I really don't like about the game is that the AI seems a bit helter skelter. If I'm hiding behind bushes and snipe someone, all of a sudden every single person around the one I sniped knows where I am and starts bum rushing. That doesn't seem right. Beyond that, I think with more quests, more interesting Arkfalls, and more multiplayer events, this game would be perfect. I have never really played an MMOFPS before but if that's what this is then I kind of like the idea. Expand
  87. Apr 7, 2013
    Great ark fall scenarios with large groups participating, guns have a wide variety, FUN gunplay, interesting main quest line story, cool tie in "episode quests", multiplayer is nice (being higher level doesnt mean you'll be over powered) driving around is fun, anyone can jump in and help you with quests, their "dungeons" are pretty neat aswell with cool final bosses.

Sidequests arent

Sidequests arent very interesting, graphics are par, and the mechanics are a little hard to learn at the beginning
  88. Apr 14, 2013
    PC Gamer said "A competent MMO shooter marred by a lack of polish, whose TV tie-in ambitions only seem set to cause problems. My question is, how can PC Lamer say this when the TV series has not started yet. I wouldn't listen to a magazine critic that scores base on how much advertisement a game company spends on them. The game it self is decent. Hard to say untill the TV series starts.
  89. Apr 14, 2013
    To start out, it really bothers me that all these reviews/ ratings have come out for a game that we are technically in the "Prelude" of. This game is wonderfully crated, engaging, and an absolute all around BLAST! Once again, all of this being true the game has not even STARTED yet.

The Defiance world has two counterparts: Game & Television Series. What everyone is currently playing is just the beginning/ preamble prior to the start of the Show. The Defiance world was designed to change based on what takes place in the show and what the players do on their servers. New content & changes are to come with each episode.

In fact, it was even posted in the daily log-in news blurb that players will want to complete the missions prior to April 15th when the show releases. Sadly, many of the gamers today (H*ll bent on INSTANT gratification) are unfortunately too daft to grasp this concept. After reading countless terrible excuses for “reviews” with people complaining that they “ALREADY” beat the game (blah blah, etc.), it is readily apparent that Trion will have their work cut out for them. I guess that is the problem with the internet in essence; the availability for the few bumbling idiots (who are not intelligent enough to play a game, and therefore become frustrated and unhappy) to have their drivel of an opinion read by many, is rather high. In the long run, people who are happy and content tend NOT to post reviews because they are enjoying themselves and just having a grand old time playing the game. Whereas the few people who are upset, want everyone else to know about it and be upset with them; misery loves company after all. ;)

It seems so silly to judge/ condemn something based on a tiny snippet, rather than on the whole. Then again, that is one of the most brilliant pieces of the Defiance world; in theory, if the show continues on there will be a potentially endless stream of new content and playability as updates are pushed after the release of new episodes. I for one am extremely stoked and anxiously await the game to actually begin tomorrow, and to see the Defiance world unfurl before our very eyes.

Extremely sick concept put together by an awesome game company. I truly enjoy this game, and give it a hard 10.
  90. Apr 7, 2013
    Let me start by disputing all of the negative reviews.

UI~ No disputing their claims, it's somewhat goofy, but learning the quick menu (ctrl) makes it bearable Character creation~Don't listen to people about lack of customization. They are clueless and didn't chose the options... It's extensive! Shooting mechanics~ Shooting mechanics are spot on. No clue why anyone would have a
    Let me start by disputing all of the negative reviews.

Shooting mechanics~ Shooting mechanics are spot on. No clue why anyone would have a gripe about them.

Controls~ What is so bad compared to any other shooter?! They have the exact same controls as any other game, CoD or anything else.

Chat~ this is pretty bad and something that needs to be adjusted. But same dev's as Rift so things will be fixed... Games been out less than a week so...

Not sure why there are so many haters of this game. They are just butt hurt that they aren't going in with tons of friends rolling across the map hogging all the loots. This game is great. Check it out. No monthly fees and lots of fun!
  91. Apr 6, 2013
    I've read some of the reviews and a lot of the negative ones are not very accurate. I'm about 30 hours into the game and this is my experience with it:

---------------------------------------- The good: The mechanics are fun, this game is 90% skill and 10% items. Pixel perfect precision, dodging, crouching, jumping. Everything you do matters. You can play stealth and head-shot

----------------------------------------
    The good:

You can play stealth and head-shot enemies from afar with a sniper rifle; or go in guns blazing, throw greandes and bash enemies. They all have weak spots where you can score critical hits and you can go about doing things any way you want. You also get some powers and perks (think skill talents) that complement your play style.

The game has challenges placed all over the map, be it driving or shooting. I find they take 3-4+ tries to get gold and there are leader boards for each one. You can level way faster doing these than side missions and they're quite unique and way more fun.

Co-op maps require 4 players and they're not easy. The fights get very intense very fast and require a decent amount of skill to pull off.

People complain about the driving, I've been doing most of the goals and challenges related to it using the roller and am having a blast. The challenges involve getting a certain time on a course, you have to dodge obstacles and deal with unexpected enemies or events popping up. Getting gold on some of them requires pulling everything off perfectly. The goals require things like doing a 720 spin off a jump, and getting gold on the driving challenges.

The PVP is fun, although right now some guns have balance issues. Going stealth and blowing someone with a shotgun point-blank is way more effective than it should be. I'm pretty sure this will get ironed out.

The story and chapter missions: You have your story missions which deal with in game characters and chapter missions where you interact with the movie characters. They're not incredible, but they will keep you going. Once the series comes out, it might give them more meaning and back story, which they are lacking.

All weapon types have about the same base stats, better quality weapons just have some added bonuses such as increased mag and some small effects like reloading part of your clip on critical kills or speeding up grenade recharge. Nothing massive, but enough to get you to seek them out. You can play with the first weapon you get during the tutorial and not be gimped. Items give you a nice bonus, but are not the deciding factor in effectiveness.

-------------------------------------
    The bad:

Side missions are typical kill this, fetch this. The good thing is, the game mechanics make killing enough fun and there are plenty of other ways to level.

Interface was clearly not designed for PC and is terrible atm. Luckily you don't need to use it all that often.

The game has a lot of features which are not immediately obvious. Going with the norm will result in a poor experience. A guide to character creation (which provides a decent amount of customization, if you find the tabs for it on your first try-- i didn't) and game activities would make it a much better experience for new players. I suggest reading the forums for tips when starting out as things are pretty confusing at first.

Server instability is there, getting a lot better now though.

Rewards for events kinda suck and getting rep from contracts is the best way to get upgrades.

-----------------------------------
    Good or bad depending how you look at it:

Most of your upgrades come from weapon mods and not the weapons themselves. These include slightly higher crit damage, increased magazine capacity, faster reload, slightly less recoil etc. Farming the mods is a bit of a pain as the boxes that give these produce random mods. Each weapon can have 4, and weapons come with different slot numbers. Higher grade weapons tend to come with more, but you can add them in using ingame resources. Once again, the upgrades are more convenience than making you more powerful. Having to reload less and not having to re-stock on ammo as often is nice, but not crucial.

-----------------------------------
    Overall:

The PC version feels a bit rushed, but compared to most other MMOs i've played on opening day, it's about the same story. The core is fun; if you played Rift, trion went with the same sort of ideology in regards to random events. Ark falls are much like rift events. Everyone gets credit for kills, and rewards are based on participation and score.

The mechanics are fun, the game is challenging but i doubt it will cater to people who are more item driven. If you like shooters and online games with an open world feel which allows you run over enemies with cars, complete challenges and pvp. A game where skill is the deciding factor and having a higher level and better items will still get you killed vs a higher skilled lvl 1 player. This is the game for you.

Once the series gets going, the story part might play a bigger role.
  92. Apr 6, 2013
    this game is a lot of fun, once you figure out the UI and where things are, it really has a great feel to it as well as look! Arkfalls with a bunch of other players are truly epic, working together in order to get through them is so much fun! Whether or not it has a lasting fun factor is yet to be seen, but I definitely have gotten my moneys worth of this game since there is nothis game is a lot of fun, once you figure out the UI and where things are, it really has a great feel to it as well as look! Arkfalls with a bunch of other players are truly epic, working together in order to get through them is so much fun! Whether or not it has a lasting fun factor is yet to be seen, but I definitely have gotten my moneys worth of this game since there is no subscription. There are bugs here and there but nothing hindering game play that I have seen..... yet Expand
  93. Apr 6, 2013
    I have sunk 20+ hours into the game already and I am realizing possibilities are endless in terms of content. Anyone who is giving this game 0's just don't understand the concept, and the diamond in the rough that is represented in Defiance. Maybe this is not a true MMO but it definitely is massive open world and in my opinion is as refreshing as it is fun to play. Trion took a gamble andI have sunk 20+ hours into the game already and I am realizing possibilities are endless in terms of content. Anyone who is giving this game 0's just don't understand the concept, and the diamond in the rough that is represented in Defiance. Maybe this is not a true MMO but it definitely is massive open world and in my opinion is as refreshing as it is fun to play. Trion took a gamble and I guarantee it will pay off for them as long as they continue to improve, GO BUY THIS GAME NOW! Expand
  94. Apr 17, 2013
    I am surprised at how much fun this game actually is, I was little hesitant at first but I am now hooked. Sure it gets some things wrong like the UI and lack of social interaction (especially on PC) but when you do get a group of people together or even start chatting with clan mates, it really works. Arkfalls are incredible to take part in, watching hundreds of Ark Hunters blasting awayI am surprised at how much fun this game actually is, I was little hesitant at first but I am now hooked. Sure it gets some things wrong like the UI and lack of social interaction (especially on PC) but when you do get a group of people together or even start chatting with clan mates, it really works. Arkfalls are incredible to take part in, watching hundreds of Ark Hunters blasting away at the same objective is a sight to be seen. The solo quests are enjoyable and even more so when a random Ark Hunter who happens by just stops to help you out because he/ she can is brilliant. The weapons and shooting mechanics are great and the EGO customisation is terrific. I think it is unfair the comparisons that this game has to other proper MMO's, I personally wouldnt classify it as an MMO, Im not sure there is a specific classification for this, it fills the middle ground between single player and MMO, and I think it does it quite nicely. I am sure in time with new features to be added (hopefully a revised UI and chat screen for PC) this game will be even more incredible than what it is and I cant wait to see what Trion does with this game Expand
  95. Apr 18, 2013
    Game is great. Shooter with a great action combat, skill based (you have to be good in aiming, avoiding shots, taking cover, gear is useful but there is NO gear farm like any wow-clone theme park (so everyone can play and compete and do all the game content without farming totally boring raids for months), MMO elements are good, lot of people arounds (60-70+ people in the big Arkfalls),Game is great. Shooter with a great action combat, skill based (you have to be good in aiming, avoiding shots, taking cover, gear is useful but there is NO gear farm like any wow-clone theme park (so everyone can play and compete and do all the game content without farming totally boring raids for months), MMO elements are good, lot of people arounds (60-70+ people in the big Arkfalls), nice coop missions with a right length (not too long and frustrating), game is B2P and shop is NOT a Pay2Win having only cosmetic items, PvP with BG and open world Shadow War.
    I saw the pilot of the TV show and that was AMAZING, a great mix of Terranova, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, with a solid lore/background just as seen in the MMO.
    Game can be bought for less than 30 euros from some reseller, less than a single player and you can play for at least 5-6 months before being bored from the actual content, not to mention updates and new content release from Trion.
  96. Apr 18, 2013
    Defiance is a multiplayer online game, but not yet a RPG, despite claims of Trion Worlds. However, with the ties to the SyFy television show, the game is keeping my interest far longer than a standard FPS game which is only about killing one another. The over the shoulder firing system is similar to Fallout's system, another plus for someone like myself with poor reflexes. Still, the gameDefiance is a multiplayer online game, but not yet a RPG, despite claims of Trion Worlds. However, with the ties to the SyFy television show, the game is keeping my interest far longer than a standard FPS game which is only about killing one another. The over the shoulder firing system is similar to Fallout's system, another plus for someone like myself with poor reflexes. Still, the game does lack polish in some areas, and yes, quests are fairly repetitive at this moment. The hope is, however, the game will be adding content beyond 'shoot the raider/dark matter/bug/mutant' standard currently in the game. Role playing elements, to get more in depth with the characters is another area needing a huge improvement, but promised.

Many of the reviews here have been critical of bugs, but I find few in the PC version of the game compared to what has been said about the consoles. Do, though, play this game with a controller if at all possible. It is very controller friendly compared to other MMOs which have attempted it previously.

I'd like to rate this higher, but with elements missing to make it a RPG, and with the repetition, I have to hold back until I see the DLC adding more races and missions.
  97. Apr 18, 2013
    This game does have issues. Not as many as on Xbox 360, but there definitely are technical glitches and there are some questionable design choices. I still think it is fun, perhaps surprisingly so. I've spent more time with it than with many games I'd subjectively think of as better games, but that weren't fun to keep playing after I was "done".

Defiance's biggest selling points are

Defiance's biggest selling points are that they nailed the gunplay, and that you can effortlessly switch from soloing around to playing with others. Almost everything you do in the open world is automatically public, for example, if you're on a mission and some other player is on the same mission, you'll work together to complete it (similar to dynamic events in Guild Wars 2). Defiance also has its own clone of Rift's rift events, called ark falls, big events where you'll often see dozens of players. And if you want to play one of the co-op maps (basically, dungeons), all you need to do is sign up for either one you want to play or a quick match and the game's matchmaking will put you in a group and teleport you to the map. The same applies to competitive maps, and shadow wars, Defiance's open world based PVP system. Due to Defiance's shooter mechanics, matchmaking is less limited than in many MMOs. There are no classes, and there is no need to group characters by level. This means matches are usually made quickly and I often don't even have time to exit the matchmaking screen and do something else while I'm waiting for a match to fill.

Defiance also includes some features that are rare in MMOs. There are checkpoint races. There are timed shooting challenges where you need to reach specific goals with one specific weapon. And for some people it might be interesting to know that you can play it with a controller and seamlessly switch between mouse+keyboard and controller if you want. The TV show tie-in is also something it does differently than other MMOs, although I think that one is a bad idea for a game that should be able to stand on its own feet. Removing pre-TV show content after the first two weeks so that some missions are now inaccessible to new players was a terribly misguided move for a game where those were the only real side missions with an actual story.

I did mention glitches. There's one annoying one that can lose you items if you add mod slots and then zone or log out. There's a few pursuits (achievements) that can't be completed. Sometimes, your last perk slot gets unequipped because the game thinks you just unlocked it *again*. There were more at release, but many have already been addressed in 3GB worth of patches.

The UI could be less console oriented too, although my main gripe with it is that it's just missing a few short cuts for mouse users. It's not unusable with keyboard/mouse, e.g. they didn't forget making buttons clickable or anything like that, it's more like you'd want a context menu in some certain places that wouldn't be useful with a controller but are kind of expected by mouse users. Chat could really do with a movable and sizable window instead of the barebones system they have now.

All in all I'm rating it at 8. For starters, it actually works, which is more than what you can say about certain other recent titles. The main game play mechanic, shooting stuff with guns, is amazingly fun. It does a lot of other things right, too. Driving your cars around the bay area is fun. Races are fun. Automatic grouping for missions is fun. Matchmaking is quick and easy. They have some things to fix about the UI on PC, they need to re-think their content strategy, and they desperately need to add content that doesn't use one of the two predominant environment styles that are in the game. Objectively that may sound more like a 7, but I'm also basing my score on how much I've been playing Defiance since it came out, and it's currently shaping up to be the best value for my money I got from a video game in 2013. I've played games that offered a better or more well-rounded experience this year, but often one that was also over much sooner.
  98. Apr 19, 2013
    Firstly.... I wanted to give this game a 8 as I feel that there is room for improvement, however because of people just throwing 1's and 0's out there I feel I want to help get this title to where it should be in the ratings. While maybe not the typical MMO or 3PS that everyone is used to this game can be a great time and I think people need to give it a go. I have no regrets about myFirstly.... I wanted to give this game a 8 as I feel that there is room for improvement, however because of people just throwing 1's and 0's out there I feel I want to help get this title to where it should be in the ratings. While maybe not the typical MMO or 3PS that everyone is used to this game can be a great time and I think people need to give it a go. I have no regrets about my purchase and love the fact that I can log in for an hour and feel like I accomplished something. The graphics while needing more customization for the PC user they still seem to be quite pleasing. The sound track is also above average and I have been playing with the in game music since launch. Some of the quests do get repeatable and variety could be enhanced but that is something they can address future content updates. Group Instances have been a blast and PVP is good times! Trion has had excellent community updates in regards to just about everything and I haven't seen feedback like this from any other company in recent years, maybe a rocky start but things are feeling a lot better with each passing day. Furthermore this is a one time purchase with no monthly subscription so if you cant dedicate your every waking moment to gaming this could be for you. I did watch the Defiance TV season premier and it was decent nothing to get excited about yet!!

I miss the old review types so I am adding my own =)

Presentation 8
    Graphics 8
    Gameplay 8
    Sound 8
    Lasting Appeal 8

Overall 8

Too many opinions, not enough people sticking to facts
  99. Apr 19, 2013
    People are ragging way too hard on this game, I played this game for 30+ hours heres my score.
    Solo PvE 6.5 /10 (7.5 if your a huge sci-fi nerd like me)
    Solo PvP 8/10 This can only go up with more game modes and maps) Co-up PvE 9/10 (um we have guns, cars atvs and a large world to roam collecting loots) Co-op PvP 10/10 what cannot be done in solo PvP unless you get lucky is team
    Solo PvE 6.5 /10 (7.5 if your a huge sci-fi nerd like me)
    Solo PvP 8/10 This can only go up with more game modes and maps)
    Co-op PvP 10/10 what cannot be done in solo PvP unless you get lucky is team strategy, I have 4 friends and we all PvP together, omg. :D :D :D
  100. Apr 21, 2013
    I have tried "traditional" MMOs before, which tend to be firmly in the RPG realm, and they have virtually all failed to grab me and keep me playing. Defiance is not like these. Defiance is much more skill-based. There are no true classes, unless you choose to specialize in a particular weapon or fighting style, in which case it might be called a user-created class. Anyone can use anyI have tried "traditional" MMOs before, which tend to be firmly in the RPG realm, and they have virtually all failed to grab me and keep me playing. Defiance is not like these. Defiance is much more skill-based. There are no true classes, unless you choose to specialize in a particular weapon or fighting style, in which case it might be called a user-created class. Anyone can use any weapon and this I think is primarily what I enjoy the most about Defiance: it enables you to make your own choices much more so than any other MMO I've experienced.

There is still leveling up and unlocking new skills but this is focused mainly around weapon proficiency, and the skills are mostly passive except for the main 4. Everyone can, over time, also have access to all of the skills.

All of the combat is very skill based. You must actually take aim at enemies weak points if you are to succeed. No attack button mashing here to blindly swing your ax.

The vehicles and getting around in them are all awesome and just plain fun. In fact the whole game is just plain fun.

The last thing that really got me into the game was the fact that it does not require a subscription fee. There is real-money credits in-game, but they are not at all necessary. Anything that you can only get with real money is purely cosmetic for your character.

Now go get Defiance!

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Defiance may be an ambitious project. Linking an online action game with a TV-series is a smart idea but one that here mostly comes of as a mere gimmick. The story is unengaging and the action mediocre and monotonous. Not to say anything about the myriad of bugs that utterly destroys the experience.
    It’s an addictive game that seems to become even better as you play. If it keeps getting the right support and if the tie-in with the TV series proves successful, we might have a game that will keep us occupied for a lengthy amount of time. [May 2013]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    If Trion can introduce better quest design, this will be a winner. [June 2013, p.88]