Depths of Peril PC

8.0

1. Jun 21, 2013
    the mix of A-RPG, strategy, random world, live events and events world customisation and factions makes this game awesome. TBH, I am not giving a 10, because it has some glitches, ui flaws and stuff that where fixed on the next game, din's Curse (same engine). I prefer depths of peril over din's curse and drox operative.
    For me it's the best of all soldak games, period.
    Graphics are
    For me it's the best of all soldak games, period.
    Graphics are ok, when gameplay is awesome graphics aint' that important.

I just hope for a revamped version of this game, fixing those little glitches and UI improvements that need.
  2. May 15, 2012
    I loved the writing behind the game a lot. Diction is superior.
    I loved the writing behind the game a lot. Diction is superior.
    However, i think PACE of any game is one of the most important factors in the equation of the enjoyment. The pace of this game was no harmonious - the speed was alright - you run around, kill beasties, loot bodies, level up sell stuff... But when you just start to get into the game - an enemy attacks your covenant, and you have to start over. And while attacking a covenant - it comes down really to who has more hit points - you or the enemy - since nor one nor the other dies really, but re-spawns near the Life Stone. Weird. The fact which makes the game monotone!
  3. Zri
    Dec 23, 2010
    While it's nothing special in the graphics department, and some of the controls can be a bit of a pain (particularly targetting in combat), Depths of Peril is a surprisingly enjoyable game. A combination of hack and slash adventure game ala Diablo and Civs style diplomacy, the game has a fair bit of depth to it.

Your town is made up of a number of houses, each ruled by a hero like

Your town is made up of a number of houses, each ruled by a hero like yourself, and each vying for supremacy, both in power and in influence. You can trade with each other, form pacts and alliances, fortify your bases with NPCs and hired beasts, and of course go to war with each other.

The dungeon crawling part of the game is pretty straight forward. You get (random, level-appropriate) quests from the people in town, and venture out into the wilderness and associated dungeons. You can meet NPCs fighting for their lives out in the wilderness and get them to join up with you, or get them to join you by doing quests from town, and then they can either defend your base (or join you in raids against others' bases) or one of them can join you adventuring, thus levelling themselves up in the process. Of course there's the usual Diablo style loot system to keep things interesting as well (which you can also spread around to your NPCs).

After each 'game' (when you've won out over your opponents), you start again with a different and tougher set of houses to beat, keeping your hirelings, money, and loot.

While none of the elements are perfect, the combination works really well, and makes for an engaging game with a fair bit of life in it for long term play.
  4. EdwardMcGuire
    May 28, 2009
    DoP is the best Action RPG since Diablo 2, hands down. THe coopetition with the other factions in this game makes for a challenging, frantic pace and the diplomacy adds much needed depth to the hack n slash genre. Being able to keep characters and items from one game to another added to the tile-based maps and random enemies means this game has a ton of replayability. It's such aDoP is the best Action RPG since Diablo 2, hands down. THe coopetition with the other factions in this game makes for a challenging, frantic pace and the diplomacy adds much needed depth to the hack n slash genre. Being able to keep characters and items from one game to another added to the tile-based maps and random enemies means this game has a ton of replayability. It's such a great game that I've stopped playing much more expensive titles like Sacred 2, Titan Quest, and may even stop playing World of Warcraft to devote more time to Depths of Peril. You can't get a better game for the price, and I've paid more than twice as much for games I like about half as much. Soldak is a company to watch for future titles. Not many indie companies can compete with the big studios, but get your hands on the free demo today! Expand
  5. DrewC
    Dec 4, 2008
    Diablo 2 meets civilization (Ive only played these games limitedly, so I cant put a number, insert your own roman numerals though for the best one ever made) in my newest addiction. A great community supporting it, with thoughts of an expansion in the future, with plenty of Game Designer supported Modders currently churning out mods side by side with the patches, this game is it until D3 Diablo 2 meets civilization (Ive only played these games limitedly, so I cant put a number, insert your own roman numerals though for the best one ever made) in my newest addiction. A great community supporting it, with thoughts of an expansion in the future, with plenty of Game Designer supported Modders currently churning out mods side by side with the patches, this game is it until D3 comes out. A balanced class design with a skill tree without tiers, and the ability to choose an ally that supports your playing style, along with MANY ways to customize your experience/difficulty levels (Hardcore mode, World level, Enemy Agressiveness, all of which are not only changable on the fly, but can be set every time you complete the current world). I just started playing this game recently, and it has fallen into that perfect niche, crossing over gameplay lines with perfect balance, as long as you keep in mind that this is NOT blizzard's development team, but an up and coming (of sorts) software firm, you will not find yourself disappointed. Gameplay=10 Graphics=7 (it runs great on a wide range of computers however, even my little notebook can handle it, and its never choppy, its just a dated graphics style) sound=8 (not quite as dated, but there are mods to be downloaded that easily bump this up to a 10, background music has always annoyed me) learning curve=low learning maximum=deep replay value= 9. Collapse
  6. Meestyk
    Nov 8, 2007
    A well thought out and satisfactory game. We've enjoyed this one and spent days figuring out new skills and new levels and still on it. A truly fun game if you're into RPG and strategy. All elements are here. This game would get a 10 if it was top notch graphics, a bit dated. You can also mod here. Truly becoming a classic. Support this game if you want improvements.

1. If the idea of hacking through lots (and we mean lots) of monsters, collecting truck loads of loot, customising characters, engaging in diplomacy and ultimately dominating over rival factions doing the same, all without getting too bogged down in things like story or adventure, then Depths of Peril may well be a game for you.
  2. Depths of Peril is the epitome of a good indie game that isn't quite great. It brings some new and innovative stuff to the table, yet does it in a way that many people won't recognize until a big-budget title takes its ideas.
  3. Any fan of the genre will be surprised at just how much Depths of Peril has to offer.