8.4

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Consolidis shows through quite badly (how hard would it be to just let the PC guys download hires-texture packs and high-definition model packs?) but I was blown away by Eidos Montreal's vision and execution. Refresingly DE: HR manages to avoid cutscene worshippery and let's the player do the decisions.
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    WOW!, is thought the previous 2 deus ex games were good but it was nothing like this, i love this game... what else can i say, they just keep getting better. I played Deus Ex 1 like 10 years ago, then the 2nd one a few weeks ago which is way better but kinda short. This 3rd installment is even better, amazing game, i got it for 15 or 20 bucks for all 3 off Steam on a 75% off deal last weekend, i feel like i punched a kid in the face and stole his candy because it was such a good deal. This game is pure awsome, sound, graphics, gameplay, mechanics, voice acting, RPG elements, Stealth elements, all top notch! SOLID 10! id give it a 15 over 10 if i could, best game ive played in years. Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    Finally a worthy successor to Deus Ex. Fantastic balance, amazing detail and realized world. Sad then that I can't give this a full 10 because the boss battles break the "free choice" system in the game forcing you to go for combat skills even if you would rather stealth and hack your way around.
  4. Nov 8, 2011
    Fantastically desinged world, the feeling of control over your character's decisions and the revival of the Deus Ex series. All of that contribute to well executed title with some minor flaws.
    The game generally encourages you to avoid shooting, as it is the game's biggest flaw. It feels sluggish and precision is absent on occasions, Yet it can deliver realism, when the effect of your shot
    depend on the ammo you hold or if the enemy is equipped with a helmet.

The story is uneven. I just couldn't get myself into it as much as I wanted to know. Sure, I finished HR in three stints, but felt somewhat dissapointed at the end.
    It doesn't mean that this game dissapointed me. On the contrary. It gave me much more choice than almost anywhere else, the stealth approach felt right and the character development options tugged me back 20 years ago, when every choice for improving my stats was always difficult. Every direction is both correct and bad in some ways. It's up to you to decide whether to follow it to the end or start readjusting your strategy in the middle of the game.

It's a must buy for anyone, who prefers a bit of freedom instead of being pulled through the whole adventure by the developers.
  5. Nov 9, 2011
    Audio-8 voice acting is decently good with main characters whereas the NPCs around sound more like they are really game characters only. Music is great. Mcann's music is one of my favorites but in the game sometimes i felt the tracks, although likeable, were repeated too often. But maybe that was to compensate for the other sound effects that weren't too great honestly but worked well for whatever was being presented.

Graphics 8.5- "SMOOTH". that's what i've to say for the framerates which were great on my pc which is a bit powerful but can't say if people with lower hardware will say the same. but the game was optimized that's for sure. with that the art direction and the looks of the game were treat to look at. really the dystopian environment created was justifying the game's theme of human augmentation and the human and moral values attached to the issue. although the characters in contrast especially the NPCs were odd to look at. except jensen everybody else seemed a bit wooden in their movement and animation.
    Gameplay 9.0- To all the stealth lovers out there, this game is seriously for you. the stealth approach especially also connects to the conclusions that jensen talks about in the end. so due to not only being limited to the gameplay but also being a part of the story, this approach i personally feel is the best. other approaches especially head-on combat may not exactly go along with game's style and direction which it goes in.
    Story-8.0- it could have been epic... maybe it was but it didn't feel personal in the end which is an aspect i really expected to be fulfilled after playing games like GTA IV and Mass Effect series. maybe devs deliberately wanted to take an approach where you'd get to know people more through their mails then from their conversations with them. And it's quite practical actually when you think about our social reality today cause my family may not be knowing what's on my mind today but my "Facebook" friends surely do through my updates. but i personally want people to come and talk to me in a lively manner like of which was present in the games i mentioned previously. but nevertheless i was impressed and actually came out with a lot of "food for thought" after playing the game which i believe was the goal of devs and which they have accomplished well.

i want to give this game an 8.5 but i'll round it up to 9 because i'm impressed by it despite it's flaws (or what i'm not able to like but you might). Bottomline- it may not be exactly what i should have bought on day one of it's release but then i don't think i've wasted my money either. For those who are really dying for it go and get it. those who are a bit skeptic, get this game in some nice deal because it definitely is one of the better games of current gen of games.
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    A really nice, well made game. I didn't enjoy the original one that much but the trailer set up the hype for me. And rarely any games meet up with the hype. Totally deserves a 9 from me
  7. Nov 10, 2011
    I've played the game a few times though now and must say it's an awesome, very well done game. I agree with Ratkoon, I too was a bit concerned given I was also a fan of the original, heck, I still own it. :) I love the story line, I love the way the augments work and I love the "high tech" feel to Human Revolution. I think this one deserves a 10 due to amazing graphics, a very deep, rich story line and well done character build up/utilization all blend well to make the game very immersive. HR and Missing Like both have me drooling for more! :) If I had one complaint it would be the AI. As someone pointed out you can shoot a police officer then wait until they go back into relaxed state and carry on about your business. I believe the problem is specific to the concept of NPCs that start out being friendly, but can change state. Perhaps once the player is deemed an enemy in that area, they should stay one? Only issue is this may pose a big problem for being able to finish quests. Either way, I tend to agree with the argument that the AI could use some work but Iâ Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2011
    This is my first Deus Ex game.
    Bought it on a whim and I'm glad I did.
    Best stealth system in a game ever!
    Awesome story and gameplay.
    Likable Characters and Great Atmosphere.
    One of the best games of the year.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    Brilliant immersive gameplay, a simply outstanding game! The story is excellent, I feel they captured the original perfectly! The voice acting could have done a little better, but other than that, brilliance.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    First off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complex skill tree that you build up depending on what style you want to play, and there are many interesting sidequests that should keep you busy. Get this game if you like engrossing 40+ hour action rpgs. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2012
    Pretty fun. Great graphics and solid controls, though the shooting is a bit floaty. The game does favor the stealthy player a bit too much for my tastes, you get more exp and it's also easier to do. The campaign is very good and it took me over 20 hours to finish. There is some replay value for those who want to change the decisions they make (decisions to change small things throughout the story) or go for a different style of playthrough. The only big negative i can think of is the boss battles, which are god awful. Overall, it's a great game, well worth the purchase. Expand
  12. Nov 15, 2011
    It lives up the Deus Ex name, full of great. with a slight glitch hear and there but not enough to keep you from enjoying a great story and gameplay. simply worth its retail price.
  13. Jul 31, 2012
    Rarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-out gunfight (although it is worth noting that on PC, aiming down your sights is toggle-only) provided you have the weapons, ammunition and FPS skill to take all of your enemies down, or you can find an alternate entry and sneak past guards undetected, taking them down silently as you crawl through the shadows. I found this approach to be more fun and more rewarding, as exploring secret areas and finding uncommon routes to your objective will net you XP and item rewards. While there is no level or level cap in the game, gaining enough XP by taking down enemies, finding secret areas and completing objectives will earn you praxis points, which can be invested into the game's skill tree. These upgrades that you can purchase using praxis, called augmentations, will increase your chances of survival and should reflect your play style. If you tend to find yourself in gunfights a lot, you'll want to upgrade your weapon damage and health. If you're a sneaky bugger and you don't want your enemies to know what hit them, you'll probably be best off purchasing the stealth augmentations. If you like coercing others into sharing your point of view in conversations, you'll want the augmentation that allows you to see how people are reacting to what you're saying.
    Stealth is arguably the tougher method of completing the game, but I found it to be extremely rewarding. I have not played any other Deus Ex game before, nor am I particularly fond of stealth games; I struggle to complete Splinter Cell games. But Human Revolution is very accessible for the average player, the balancing is great and it never feels like the game has an unfair advantage over you, nor that it is too easy. And even if you bought the game expecting an FPS, you won't be disappointed. The shooting feels varied and functional, with an array of weapons at your disposal.
    Between these missions, you will have time to explore the cities the game takes place in. There may not be a lot of them and they may not be very large in size, but they're just enough to allow you some breathing space between the fast-paced action that takes place during missions. You can sell and buy items, talk to people and look for loot around areas such as Detroit or Hengsha, a Chinese city with a completely different atmosphere. Sometimes I felt as though the game could offer me a little more freedom in roaming its setting, but it's nothing that will ruin the experience.
    The game's story won't leave you sobbing, but it's a solid tale that holds together the masterful game-play. Some bits in particular that I won't spoil, were very well made and truly had an impact on the way I viewed the characters involved.
    This game is fantastic. Solid shooting, balanced and very rewarding stealth, a thoughtfully made skill tree, all surrounded by a good story make for a very fun experience. If you're remotely interested in stealth, or if you want a shooter with a little more meaning to it, definitely purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  14. Nov 20, 2011
    Not as good as the original, but considering how good the original was, that's not saying much.

This game is just dripping with atmosphere, from the renaisence inspired art style to the sometimes chilling music. The characters are perfect and you really get a sense of tension, desperation and loss. The details are all there, form Adam's cracked mirror, the memorial to your murdered
    collegues and comments about detroits economic situation.

Now to gameplay. Fantastic fun, but unfortunately easy, even on the hardest setting. There are so many choices available for completing even the simplest of tasks you will never see them all, even after 10 play throughs. Some are absolutely inspired, some are just hidden air-vents.

Worth every penny, I finished the main game, then went straight to starting it again, this time without taking a life or being detected. The real seller is choosing how you play, and in that respect this game is perfect.

The story howver, does not change depending on your actions, and was the primary complaint I had about this game.
  15. Mar 9, 2012
    Intense, in depth, fun to play, doesn't get old, DLCs that are worth it, smooth engine and amazing graphics, gameplay that makes you feel badass. It's like somebody took the game disks for Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, LA Noire, Batman, and Timesplitters, and glued them together with pure **** This game is that good. Oh, and if the gameplay and game throughout didn't seal the deal for this being the best game ever, you know what did? The endings. Every single one is amazingly written, and collectively I think they could be called the best ending(s) in the history of video games. Sorry Earthbound. Buyer analysis: It seems to go on sale a lot lately, but I would even say this one is worth buying at full price. The DLC too. Expand
  16. Nov 28, 2011
    Excellent game. Gives the very same feeling as the original game, where you are free to make your own choices, and those choices have a permanent effect in the world. This makes the game very immersive, where you really give a thought on every move you make.
  17. Dec 3, 2011
    It was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into a PS2 game from 2003. Expand
  18. Dec 7, 2011
    I must warn i didn't play any of the Deus Ex before. The game turns out boring really fast and i had to drive my self time over time to keep playing in hope i would recover the initial hype, but that never happened.

Let me tell you the good things. The atmosphere. The game play. The story premise. The characters. The background. Everything feels right in the beginning of the game. This
    feeling start growing as you progress through the game and discover new things about the environment, the characters, background and story unfolds.

Unfortunately somewhere around middle game the levels start to stretch the same game play mechanics all over again, the enemies are the same and the story stops unfolding and starts to burp incoherent scenes. The game stops being fun and you forget what was great in the beginning.

The first 10 hours of game play are excellent, and for 10 game play hours it's worth 20$ - 25$ tops (around the same gameplay as portal 2). Then you can put the game into the shelve, because the game becomes modern Half-Life for half the fun.

I'd give it 8 if i would pretend the game has finished when i finished having fun with it.
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    Human Revolution is a decent sequel. It doesn't quite live up to the first, but thankfully, it blows the second away.

Combat feels decent, except for a few buggy melee take-downs. Stealth feels too easy, almost as though every henchman is badly nearsighted and hard of hearing. Also, while harder difficulty settings provide more realistic gunfights, they don't make enemies any smarter or
    more observant. Dialogue is generally interesting and well done, and the story arc - while occasionally a little bland or predictable - offers a dark vision of the future that makes the whole experience worthwhile. One of the game's biggest drawbacks are the boss fights. They don't feel very distinct from one another, and most of the bosses are extremely vulnerable to pathing glitches and explosives. In fact, even on the hardest difficulty, almost every boss can be defeated without effort by repeatedly throwing explosive mines at their feet. Not very climactic.

But, again, the plot and role-playing elements make this title worth the money, even if it's no game of the year.
  20. Jan 1, 2012
    This is an excellent cyber-punk game with very nice rpg gameplay, amazing graphics, and a deep cyber story with references to Phillip Dick, William Gibson. The only negative to this title is the boss fights.
  21. Mar 24, 2012
    In the first part of the Deus Ex played quite late, in 2004. But from the very beginning I knew that this game is a genius. Extraordinary and captivating story was the biggest advantage of the game. In my opinion Deus Ex: Human Revolution perfectly captures the spirit of the original and moved it in 2011. Absolutely you have to play! For me the game of the year 2011.
  22. Jul 6, 2012
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is good, really good. Though the graphic is a little bit weird (orange in almost entire game), it does not affect the great game play. Jensen sounds like some dying patient at first, but story telling gets better when you got used to Jensen's voice. The endings were absolutely awesome and it actually left me something to think about.
  23. Dec 1, 2012
    Awesome game to begin with particularly for those who like a perfect blend of stealth and shooting (more emphasis on stealth actually). The game takes time to pick up the pace but once it does, it's a complete amusement. With the awesome conspiracy story which keeps changing it's course, innovative way-finding gameplay and an awesome character Adam Jensen, this game really makes you absorbed in its own world.
    The only flaw is the boss battle because they are total hardcore action but Jensen can't keep up with any boss practically and because the game is mainly stealth oriented, it pisses you off sometimes.
    In a nutshell, it's a great game with awesome story line and innovative gameplay mechanics. I would rate it #2 in my list of Best Games of 2011 after Witcher 2.
  24. Jan 24, 2012
    Very good hybrid gameplay,excellent atmosphere,great story and technology,flawless soundtrack = I love this game.A true sequel to a great game.A must have game for a true gamer.
  25. Mar 4, 2012
    Overall, a pretty decent game if you play it at least as a quasi-stealth approach.

PROS -Lots of weapons to choose from (or none at all if you want to do entirely melee takedowns). The movement and the combat is fluid enough that there is no real awkwardness in either sneaking or fighting. Augmentations do let you choose which style of play fits you better, and they are sparse enough
    that you actually do have to make choices about which ones you want; although if you play total stealth and get all the bonuses for not being seen, by the end of the game you will have most things. The story isn't bad, and fleshes out the back story of the first game since this takes place before it. There are a few character references and names and such that hint at things in the first game.

CONS- If you do play for stealth you basically don't use any weapons except in boss fights and that's too bad because some of them are interesting enough. The boss fights are EXTREMELY out of place in the game, especially if you go a stealth route, though they aren't too tough, especially if you carry a spare heavy weapon, and a stun gun. The last "boss fight" and really the last entire level was very anti climactic. Hacking is way too over used, there are literally 50-100 things in every area that can be hacked... and the way the augmentations are broken out to improve hacking just requires way too many points to be good at it (unless you play total stealth then you have more than enough). The chinese city was WAY too large and convoluted to navigate well, even after being there repeatedly in the game and overall spending a few hours there. The facial animations, and movement in general (at the very least for the half a dozen characters you get up close and have important conversations with) should have been a lot better, they look a bit dated and wooden. The voice acting is just... off. Maybe because the animations don't show emotion well, or maybe because the particular voices they chose just didn't work, i'm not sure. If you play with quasi-stealth and don't care about the stealth bonuses, it is not terribly difficult to kill everything and just hide when they come for you and repeat. As a straight shooting game it would be far less entertaining than trying for full stealth, and would probably be fairly easy and tedious.

Overall I actually found it a reasonable successor to the original, and certainly better than invisible war by far. This game does emphasize the stealth a little more than the original that merely offered it as an attractive choice, however you certainly don't have to play as stealth and can brute force it. The story line isn't quite as complex, but was reasonably entertaining if not partially predictable. I am usually the first to hate games that are also released on console because of them being (dumbed down) but really I don't think this game suffered from that nearly as much as people claim. Honestly any negativity from fans of the original is probably from people who haven't played the original in a while and remember it being more than it was. There was more freedom, and the story was a little better in the original, but a lot of the basic game elements and premises are still here, and this game embraces it's own kind of exploration with the cities that the original really didn't have as much except in wan chai.
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    Had a great time with this one. Initially, I took upgrades to stealth, which became crippling at several of the boss fights. The level design, progression, writing were all very strong. Cover system, also brilliant, emulating a 'hold' style similar to rainbow six vegas. A more superior combat/rpg than any of the mass effects.
  27. Feb 27, 2012
    Deus Ex was the first FPS I ever played that had weapons upgrades and Body Augmentations. I really enjoyed being able to customize my character and it also allows me to replay with different combat approaches. The story is fantastic and makes up for the few shortcomings this game has. I congratulate the staff involved in the development of this game it was well thought out and very enjoyable to play. In a perfect world the AI would be better and mobs would hide more often. Graphically I saw nothing new and didnt care because of the storyline (same reason I keep playing halflife) I gave this game a 9 because i felt like the quests were too linear and there weren't enough side quests maybe 1 to 3 per zone(prob 95% less than Skyrim ;p) and I really disliked the way the radar and map functions worked. The best part of this game in my opinion, your character talks even though my favorite game is halflife 2 i hate how in some FPSers (halflife 2 ;p) they direct the dialogue and story telling to cater a non talking character TRON is an excellent example of this. In my opinion not talking causes you to be more removed from the story not less and game makers should just ditch that idea. Give us a choice what to say or just talk. If you play games for the story then this is a must buy. Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2012
    This game is awe inspiring, and an experience that I would recommend to anyone. The visuals, music, and overall atmosphere pulls you in from the first few minutes, and never lets you go. It took me awhile to adjust to the combat / stealth gameplay, but once I did, it was really fun sneaking around and getting stuff done. The only thing that bothered me was the boss battles. They are stupid, annoying, and in many ways, don't fit into the game properly. I also didn't find this game to be addicting at all (certainly not in the way that something like Skyrim is); I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but there you go. Expand
  29. Mar 4, 2012
    The game is fun and highly polished (and at the same time, simplified). It runs remarkably well on my dated PC, and loading times are very short. My main gripe with DX: HR is that it's so short; I tried to finish every single secondary mission I could find, but I still clocked only 20 hours of gameplay according to Steam.
  30. Mar 10, 2012
    Liked the game very much. Cyberpunk atmosphere, high-tech and other stuff really get me excited when i was playing this game. What about graphics, it's not so important thing in games like this, but it's smooth and the doesn't spoil the game experience.
  31. Mar 11, 2012
    Keep playing, this game worth it, It really should have been the game of the year,dont be fooled by the aparently outdated graphics, (one tip, turn off the brightness and it will look much better), the gameplay is exelent, the desing is exelent too, the story it just gets better and better in the game, This is a serious game, not trying be appeal to the masses, but it succeeds doing it, because its not trying fool or manipulate the audience, like mass effect series.

I'll give it 9, and not 10 because of the boss fights, they are easy unbalance and little dumb. (but it doesn't bring down the game as whole)
  32. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a fantastic game! I was a fan of the original, but not a fan of Deus Ex 2. And I have to admit, I was really impressed with this game! The graphics aren't brilliant, but the atmosphere and environment are. This game brings back Cyberpunk, with street gangs, robots and cool tech. The sound effects and music makes this game feel like you 're in the Bladerunner movie. The main character is really cool and calm, but you can play as a good guy or a bad ass depending on how the player completes the guests. This game stays true to the original Deus Ex, but there are a couple things which tarnish this game on PC . For example, you are limited to activating only 4 augments at a time which is the same on console. Why couldn't it be more like on the the origin? Also, there is recovering HP and recharging Energy, which makes the player feel almost invincible. This makes playing the game not as challenging the second time around which is a shame because I was expecting Hard mode to be Hardcore! Another thing that disgruntled me was the terrible boss battles which were poorly designed. But overall this game is recommend to anyone who loves Cyberpunk RPG or FPS games! Expand
  33. Apr 18, 2012
    I am finding that I actually love his game. The atmosphere and maps are great and while the graphics are generally sub-par (console limitations) they are generally forgivable given the story. The story. Love the story. I enjoyed the original Deus Ex way back when and this story flows nicely right into it, as intended. The ending fits with the storyline very well (unlike the total assf*ck idiot ending of Mass Effect 3). Character animations are odd at times - I kept thinking everyone in the game has Parkinson's and not as good as those of Mass Effect (the entire series). The hand-to-hand takedowns are a real kick and I never got tired of watching Adam do non-lethal takedowns on enemy after enemy. The lethal take-downs were OK too but I just preferred the more varied non-lethals.

I definitely like the conversation modes in the game with a half-dozen special conversations that you have to navigate JUST SO in order to obtain a good outcome. Blow it and you don't get a second chance short of going back to a save you made prior to the key conversation. There is an augmentation you can acquire that is supposed to help you "read" people so you can navigate these key conversations better but, honestly, I did better NOT using it and just going on my own gut. In fact, the conversation augment confused me and misled me more than it helped but YMMV. I did ONE playthrough of Mass Effect 3 as was so pissed and angry about the STUPID ending that I couldn't bring myself to play ANY of the Mass Effect games again so here I am...doing yet another playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. At this point, I've already played it more times than I did even Mass Effect 2. Going from Mass Effect games to Deus Ex: Human Revolution it did take me some time to get used to the differences, mainly the oddity of DEHR going from first person to third person rather than sticking with one or the other all the time. From having played so much Mass Effect (before ME3 ruined it all) I got to really really like third person - and this is coming from someone who had been almost a pure first person game guy. While I would prefer to have had DEHR third person all the way, like with the Mass Effect games, I have quickly come to accept the way of DEHR. Great game, great atmosphere, great story, great soundtrack. Play this game again and again (instead of trying Mass Effect 3 even once...seriously, you wont regret it).
  34. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't a perfect game, but it's a 10 to me. The feel of the world, the visuals, the story.. it all works so well. The gameplay is fun, and it gives you several options on how to do most things. A minor niggle here, would be that you get more xp for using non-lethal measures, but as that is how I prefer to play anyway, I just love it. The story and the levels are great throughout, except for a bit of a sloppy final act. The whole thing with the "zombies" on Panchaea, and the somewhat lackluster endings. These are minor issues though, as far as I'm concerned. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and I really hope there will be a sequel, either to this game or to one of the earlier ones.

Not a perfect game, but an amazing one! 10/10!
  35. Apr 26, 2012
    this was a really great game if i take it as a whole, but as someone said earlier, it kinda gets a little bit boring becouse of the same content all the time (hacking, "Q to the face!" and crawling in shafts, but overall, i enjoyed it so thats why it owns a spot on my best games of the year
  36. Apr 2, 2012
    This game is not perfect, but it's REALLY GOOD. It does everything a Deus ex fan wants correctly. The graphics are a bit dated, and the acting can be hilariously bad at times (Which somehow adds to the fun) but overall, Deus ex is a great game and a great prequel to another great game.
  37. Dec 29, 2013
    Truly a worthy adversary towards other futuristic themed video games. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a fine example of a well thought out game that takes advantage of the player's intelligence to pass through levels. The story is incredible immersive and complete with full dialogue for the full experience. Players are able to make decisions that will impact the environment while progressing through the story. A fine example of an incredible game that will last for decades. Expand
  38. Oct 29, 2013
    A game undeserving of the hype, but ok otherwise. Gunfighting is bland but this is meant to be played stealth, where it does a bit better. The graphics are very dated, comparable to a game from 2006, like Hitman Blood Money. The level design is also mediocre, but neither of these ruin the game, the story is ok. For me the mechanics are a bit old-fashioned and arcade, but otherwise acceptable. Porting from console to PC has been done well. Expand
  39. Apr 19, 2012
    My favorite game this year after ME3, it really goes to the roots of deus ex 1, the second game was a joke everyone knows that. This one has its own cyber punk style design which gives you the feel like beeing in a blade runner movie. So much posibilities, the only bad side is that boss fights always go same way even if you are not an soldier or use only powers you have to kill bosses the same way as a soldier which is a bit to bad. But still it doesnt ruin the game. Expand
  40. Apr 24, 2012
    A great and truly inspiring comeback of one of the most underrated series in history. Well-rounded rpg game that captures some of the essence of first deus ex. Great graphics in terms of design, fantastic atmosphere, strong gameplay and well constructed and mature plot easily surpassing all quasi-rpg stories in skyrim, fallout3, oblivion, etc. That's how it should be done
  41. May 1, 2012
    A decent game, really. It's different from any other games I've seen so far. A unique experience too. From the moment I saw the release trailer, I knew this was a really inspiring game. The storyline is unprecedented; deep, dark and interesting, it immerses me in a world that I'll never ever forget. The game-play is also unique; it grants me options on how to accomplish a mission, whether to be a soldier and storm into a room full of turrets and enemies or to be an assassin, taking down enemies stealthily or just slip past them. The cover system is also cool. The augmentation feature is great; you can play it in whatever way you want to. The voice-acting and cinematic- superb. The graphics are just beautiful on high settings. The only downfall in this game is the boss fight. They kind of limit your options to only one, which is to defeat them. All downfalls aside, I would definitely recommend this game to everyone. A 9.4 out of 10. Expand
  42. May 18, 2012
    A perfect combination of Crysis, the old Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, X-Files and Mass Effect, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a shooter, semi RPG, cyberpunk-themed game that sucks you in.

The stealth missions, the shooting, the mini quest, the free roaming, the inventory arranging, the weapon's choices, and last, the augmentations. Those are the goods of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The bad?
    Boss fights. The boss fights will never, ever fit in the game. Just like a "Z" Tetris' puzzle piece, it's annoying and you can't make it disappear (or skip it). For a game that promote stealth, it's quite surprising that the developer could think of boss fights will fit well in the game. Expand
  43. May 25, 2012
    There is very little to hate about a game that has everything that a shooter and realist freak loves. The fact that the environment that you play in affects the future of your game makes this game outrageously beautiful. In this game you start of as a security officer for a human enhancement company, and you end up being a very highly purposed man (with great guns). In this game you have to be smart, you just can't run into a place and expect to survive. Also, what you do with people and specially your guns dictates on what happens to your game-play. I love this game because it has great graphics and everything is so realistic (as far as games go). Expand
  44. Aug 6, 2013
    I tried hard to love this game. Deleted and redownloaded again for 4 times in hope I missed something last time. I was not.
    Game is just extremely boring with bad voice acting, game mechanic, gameplay and story.
    I usually never give 0 to games because people put effort to make it, but in this one couldn't find even 1 good thing. Seems even Steam discount price of 3.75 euro was wasted money
  45. Oct 5, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game, must play, it's not perfect but the story itself, voice acting are epic.

And it could be much, much more, theres so much rom for improvment, I can't wait for DeusEX: Universe
  46. Sep 25, 2012
    Overall I enjoyed this game. Being a fan of the RPG genre, I was a little disappointed with the augmentations spec. I feel RPG's should force to you to make meaningful decisions on your choices, but I did not necessarily feel that with Human Revolution. In the beginning, objectives can be met in multiple ways and in the end I unlocked all augmentations minus the pointless ones. Despite what I read from others saying there is a ton of replayability from this game, I don't see any since my character spec was ultimately irrelevant throughout the game. Looking past this, however, I still did enjoy this game. The game play was solid and the story line was one of the first I've come across in a while that was actually compelling. Expand
  47. Oct 18, 2012
    As a cyberpunk fan i dived into this game with lots of expectations and all thing lived up to the hype! It's a great game with great script, writing, dialogue, intrigue and stealth/FPS/RPG elements. It worth every penny spent on it!
  48. May 24, 2013
    Deus Ex Human Revolution (DEHR) seems to want to go back to the roots of the original Deus Ex, not with a gripping story, but with graphics that seem to go back in time, to bland environments that all look the same. The graphics in this game are shockingly BAD for a game made in 2011. Some of the cutscenes especially the CINEMATICS are much better, but the quality there is also pretty patchy. Very little reaches or maintains the high standard set by Bioware with Mass Effect 2. So many reviewers have commented about the bad animations for a simple reason. THEY ARE DREADFUL. But look at the 1998 level of textures in the environments and you can see that they share the same low standards. The game seems to try too hard to compensate for its poor visuals with an 'edgy story' that is really parade of cliches washed over in a dreary and unrelenting sepia palette! The rooms and physical assets of the game feel retro and clunky, the same dumbassed boxes piled literally EVERYWHERE. The same cliched airducts and waist high glass walls for cover. The same dumb computer terminals. All looking like the next best thing from 1998. Playing this game I'm sorry to say I felt embarrassed for the development team. Their hearts were in the right place and the augumentations were kind of ok. In the end I couldn't be assed using stealth, because I didn't want to waste time trapped in the dreary maze of always-the-same places assets and choices. Just run up to bad guys and shotgun them in the face. There is no penalty for failure as death just puts you back a few meters and lets you try again. This game didn't bring Deus Ex into the 21st century. it leaves it stick back in the 20th. Thankfully the publisher understands the real worth (lessness) of this game and often has it on sale for around $7 on Steam. At this price it is not too painful and is recommended as a tutorial in the perils of LACKING AMBITION to shine. The high number of 10 svores in here are unbelievable. I hope that the development team stop spending time creating spurious accounts to boost the reputation of their work, and instead spend their energies earning real 10s by making BETTER GAMES. Expand
  49. Aug 21, 2013
    Much like the first Deus Ex, this game feels quite flawed and incomplete. Much about he game also leaves you feeling disconnected: the voice acting, the character's behaviors, the truncated settings, the clumsy combat and nonsensical storyline.

If you want a game like this, I'd suggest just playing through Vampire the Masquarade Bloodlines again. But if you've already gone through all
    the clans and combat styles, then maybe check this game out. Expand
  50. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Pros] Excellent story & storytelling, serene & memorable soundtrack, builds unique atmosphere for each area, strong characters with motives, balanced RPG elements, many stealth & non-lethal options [Cons] Mediocre & spotty graphics, overly compressed cutscenes (thanks again, consoles), shoe-horned boss battles, stupid zombie level, "choose your adventure" endings. Overall, this is a fantastic sequel to the legendary Deus Ex (Invisible War doesn't exist) and worth picking up for fans of the original or newcomers to the series. Expand
  51. Dec 16, 2013
    An extremely enjoyable and well polished fps with great skill sets and stealth options.
    Many ways you can play this as well as numerous side quests.

Well worth a look.
  52. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is so incredibly fun and strategic. I don
  53. Nov 28, 2012
    The original Deus Ex was one of those games that sucks you in and leaves a lasting impact that even 12 years later has you occasionally nodding with nostalgic approval at the fond memories of playing it. So it's obvious that when I heard about the new prequel that was supposed to capture that same vibe, it was a must have. I didn't just invest in the game, I chose my new PC on the basis that it could run this game. And sure, it's good, it's occasionally fun and the world is absolutely brimming over with little interesting details like conversations, emails and props that make it appear living and breathing. I love the stealth feature where the camera goes third person when hiding behind walls and objects, and the visual aesthetics and music aren't a letdown. However, when I got near the end of the game, I either got bored or got a bout of gamer fatigue, and I would argue that if a game ever lets you experience that, then it's not worthy a 9 or an 8. It's a good game - no doubt about that - but the experience I had was nowhere near that of the original 2000 release. If you haven't played any game in the series, go get the original. It's on Steam and it's cheap. If you've played that one and want to pick this one up, prepare to be - if not very, then a little disappointed. Expand
  54. Dec 18, 2012
    In this depressing age in which games like Splinter Cell: Conviction and Hitman: Absolution routinely betray virtually everything that made their predecessors so unique and enjoyable, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of very few sources of hope for the future of the gaming industry. I've played through the game several times (always on the highest difficulty), and am still finding new things to achieve. On my most recent playthrough, I managed to get through the entire game without upgrading a single augmentation. This is a perfect example of the immense freedom of choice this classic offers. I'm also a huge fan of Deus Ex 1, and the entirety of Human Revolution plays like a massive tribute to the original game. Even the music couldn't be more perfect, actually retaining Deus Ex 1's format of constant (and amazing) music that changes based on what's going on. I've become completely addicted to knocking out and hiding every guard in perfect stealth, always looking forward to the Ghost XP bonus upon completion of every objective. The only thing in this masterpiece that I don't approve of is the boss fights (which should have been exactly like the one at the end of The Missing Link DLC), but I've gotten to the point where I can easily defeat each without even having to carry a single lethal weapon. And the PC version feels perfect, even offering things like two separate walk keys for both toggling and holding. I have no idea why there are any negative user reviews for this game. It's utterly brilliant, and the closest thing to a modern version of Deus Ex 1 that anyone could ever realistically expect from the gaming industry these days. Expand
  55. Dec 5, 2012
    Awesome ambient soundtrack(even now i listen it sometimes), awesome combined gameplay, storyline with moral choice, you choose ending of the story. 10/10
  56. Dec 9, 2012
    Je sanctionne la réalisation tout juste pitoyable; des maps d'une taille ridicule; les pnj en plus d'être statiques n'ont aucune personnalité, quasiment aucune interaction n'est possible. C'est vide ; le level design est celui d'un jeu sorti dans les années 90. Rentrer dans une pièce fortifiée ? Il suffit de pousser la caisse qui cachait un énorme trou dans le mur ....Passer une armée d'ennemi ? Rien de plus simple prenez le premier échaffaudage qui se présente; sautez de plateforme en plateforme jusqu'a l'autre bout de la piece ....
    Meme les rares lieux d'habitation n'ont pas pu etre modélisés correctement; les couloirs des immeubles sont aussi larges que les rues de la ville; le mobilier est générique. En créant une maison sur minecraft j'arrive a faire mieux.
    Jeu sur-noté et très largement.
  57. Aug 16, 2014
    what can i say, another average game milking prior success. don't bother playing unless your a fan of mediocrity. I do not know how this game has so many good reviews.
  58. Jul 20, 2013
    This is one of the less inmersive games I have played, the dialog is dullm boring and predictable, it doesnt feel real at all it feels like if you are playing a game,the action is quite boring,you just dont care about the characters,the main character is a tough guy with a raspy voice (how original),the upgrades are boring. I dont understand the hype behind this game there are much better games out there, I bougth this at 85% discount and I regret it. Expand
  59. Jan 2, 2013
    It's 10/10

Strong and believable story, no useless augmentation, about 3 different types to play the game, incredible considered maps. It's a pure miracle that someone took the very old masterpiece and made ... another masterpiece with his own ideas, thoughts. Every single character in it has it's very own life story with his own problems and beliefs. Jensen is not the center of the
    universe and a lot of thongs going on around him without stopping and asking how Jensen want them to happen. The game without a single weak point except (maybe) bosses. And did you hear that music in the game? It's just amazingly cool! You do not want to miss it, believe me. Expand
  60. Apr 19, 2013
    It valid one of the main events of this decade! In this game all is manually made: the magnificent design best in own way, the interesting gameplay intriguing a plot, cool music! In total for 100% game costs the money!
  61. Mar 24, 2013
    The soundtrack is truly awesome. Adam Jensen is a pretty awesome and like-able character. The ending is so-so, but I'm still giving the game a 10 because the story is great otherwise and it's one of the best PC games I've ever played.
  62. Apr 10, 2013
    Amazing graphics, outstanding campaign, brilliant voice acting and excelent gameplay. Definetly one of the 7th generations best titles. A must-play.
  63. May 16, 2013
    One of the best RPG of all time, yeah it's mostly linear, but memorable characters and one of the best written plot in gaming history with unexpected twists presents to you by this remarkable franchise! This is must own
  64. Apr 26, 2013
    The most fun I have had in a game, absolutely unbelievable. Has amazing replay value because of the choices given in it of different ways to approach each mission. The Gold theme even though a bit strange works and looks rather nice.
  65. sft
    Jan 19, 2014
    A sneaky business

It might be possible to run-and-gun your way through DEHR but to do so would be to miss the point of the game. DEHR is all about stealth, hacking, persuasion, and cautious combat. And it does all this very well. There’s also a fully realised story that has much more depth than most games. It’s also worth noting the soundtrack, which is very atmospheric throughout (and
    somewhat redolent of Blade Runner at times). The visuals are a mixed bag, however, with impressive environments but often disappointing character models and animation. And the colour palette is rather muted and bland. The worst aspect of the game, however, is the inventory, which is bafflingly annoying: it rather pointlessly forces you to shuffle things around in order to fit all the items in. I really don’t see the point of this as it adds nothing to the game. There is also no real variation in the environments visited during the game; it’s basically one urban landscape after another. These may seem like minor criticisms but when combined they were enough to dampen my enjoyment a little. But having said all that DEHR does what it sets out to do so well that I can forgive it’s few flaws. Expand
  66. May 23, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is very nice, beautiful and atmospheric game with a memorable soundtrack, vaguely reminiscent of the music from the film "Inception". However, this is not a revolution. It is no conceptual or gameplay discoveries. But the fact that there are so fine-tailored tailored that even do not want to find fault. Sitting at the game, you will not regret for one minute spent in a dark 2027th, when people first got scared of what will become machines. Expand
  67. Oct 30, 2013
    Human Revolution is a great game with many elements coming together well, although there are some pitfalls. The game is very open end, and you can take on challenges the way you see fit, whether that be through brute force, sneaking a back way through vents, cloaking your way through, or hacking a computer and making a robot fight for you. The voice acting for the most part is solid, and the plot is enthralling, with the added effect that what you do influences plot points. An effective dark atmosphere is created, although the gold and black colour scheme may not appeal to all. However, the game is far from perfect and has definite weakness. The AI in particular, can be quite dumb at times, especially with regards to their alertness to your presence and their reactions. Sometimes enemies get stuck in doors and sometimes they run around like complete buffoons. In addition, the boss fights are unnecessary and do not belong and often rely on saving and loading until you eventually do enough damage to kill them. This concept does not fit well with a game where choice is one of the most prevalent aspects. These pitfalls aside, Human Revolution is still a great game which presents you with many choices and ways to tackle a problem. A link between various genres is done successfully and as a result, an enthralling package is produced, despite the shortcomings. Expand
  68. Jun 20, 2013
    The concept art and genre held a lot of promise but sadly fell well short of telling an engaging visual story. This is not to say that the the story concept was flawed or bad, rather the environments are sterile, overly large, uncluttered, and completely unbelievable affairs. This is not a well thought out universe that feels lived in. It is shallowly crafted setting in which to collect and exercise uninspired skill choice options that fail to give a sense of customization or personal character. The "boss" fights are completely ridiculous affairs that feel completely out of place and shallow -in the take cover, throw some explosives, and shoot in the head 'till dead kind of way. Any combat or sneak realism, is just thrown out the door in favor of "this is a boss and thus will be coated with an admantine substance which renders skillful or thoughtful play useless". Expand
  69. Aug 12, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a ton of potential, but ultimately falls flat in too many areas to warrant a recommendation. I've never played previous Deus Ex games, so I'm reacting to this one purely on its own merits. I did a full playthrough, completing the main story and most of the side quests in about 19 hours.

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the
    impeccably designed world and the extremely engaging atmosphere. The Blade Runner-esque setting is appealing and visually striking. I was slightly put off by the extreme orangeness of everything, but eventually that just became part of the world and I stopped paying it much attention. It's a credit to the artists and the sound design team (and of course the composer) that Deus Ex provides such a compelling experience. In fact, it's solely because of their brilliant work that the game is worth playing. There are a lot of major flaws in other areas that almost, but not quite, ruin everything.

Foremost among these problems are the combat mechanics. Deus Ex is not a good first person shooter, even though the designers give you the freedom to run and gun to your heart's content. A couple of huge issues kept me frustrated throughout. First, many of the enemies you encounter are complete and utter bullet sponges. "Heavies" appear to be wearing nothing but a Kevlar vest and a helmet, yet they can absorb hundreds of point blank rounds from a Gatling gun. At the same time, they can take you down with about 2 seconds worth of gunfire. You, the augmented super soldier with an invisibility cloak and retractable forearm sword blades. It just doesn't make sense and it's not fun at all.

After repeated failed attempts at any given battle, I often resorted to hand to hand stealth-based combat. This tends to work quite well, but the very fact that it does ruins the combat experience even more. The heavy that gave me so many problems with my Gatling gun could be taken down with a single tap of the Q key, resulting in an arm lock and a punch to the jaw. What a joke.

You'll still run into constant frustration even if you adopt a 100% stealth-based strategy. One highly amusing encounter I had involved sneaking up to two Chinese gangsters. For some reason they didn't notice me crouching literally a foot away, so I triumphantly hit Q, expecting a satisfying double takedown. Instead, my battery meter beeped, indicating that I didn't have enough power to execute the move. This made me literally laugh out loud, imagining the absurdity of the scenario if it played out in real life.

Adam: "I have remained undetected! Wait for it. Wait for it. NOW!"
    *beeeeeeeeeeep*
    Gangsters: "What was that sound? Hey, who's that guy crouching over there?"

Thankfully, the game isn't real life, so I just chowed down an energy bar and successfully smashed the bad guys heads together a moment later. I don't know who on the design team decided that a genetically enhanced super soldier should run on a few AA batteries, but they should probably look for another line of work.

Moving on. The boss battles in Deus Ex have been much maligned, and I can mostly see why. They did provide a somewhat welcome injection of strategy into the combat system, but in the end all of them could be resolved with a few grenade launcher blasts. I found that trying a more finesse-based approach of dodging and shotgunning led to pretty much instant death, and I never had the patience to hone my skills when the brute force path provided such an immediate solution.

Second only to the combat mechanics in terms of immersion-breaking were the awful cutscenes. The character models are terribly low quality and the lip-syncing is very poor. I really felt like I was watching 2000-era technology at work here. Almost any recent game that I can think of provides a better experience in this department. That being said, the voice acting is generally excellent, although our main guy's prolonged "I'm Batman" impression occasionally became tiresome.

Last but not least, I found the city hubs to be fairly generic. There is very little difference in the game between Detroit, China and Montreal (although I did get a kick out of the "futurized" Montreal skyline). I would have liked to see different colors, more vegetation, different types of people, etc. Anything, really, to differentiate the various locales and make them seem more special and exotic.

To sum up: I had really mixed feelings about Deus Ex. The fictional world is so well realized that it makes it possible to overlook a lot of problems. But, there are a LOT of problems. In the end, I just didn't enjoy myself that much and I can't see myself ever going back to play again. There just isn't enough variety in the gameplay or plot to keep me interested. It's too bad, because I'd genuinely love to spend more time in the Deus Ex universe. Maybe the next game in the series will provide a more complete and satisfying experience
  70. Dec 24, 2013
    This is truly a masterpiece.
    The RPG elements plus the different ways to approach a mission plus the graphics and gameplay make this game a superb experience.
    Highly Recommended
  71. Aug 12, 2013
    It was a fairly decent game I enjoyed taxing bad guys and shooting gangsters,but when I reloaded the game from a save point the game graphically glitches out I mean you couldn't even see the player in cover that's how bad out it was therefore this game gets a zero
  72. Aug 14, 2013
    really entertaining!
    this game creates a real atmosphere and at some points you cant stop playing playing, like when you read a good book. The hours fly away
  73. Sep 11, 2013
    DH: HR is a game with a wide and deep world, full of details to discover and learn, wrapped in a storyline that keeps hooked for hours and hours of great gameplay. The characters are always credible, with state of the art dialogues. The graphic is not perfect, but the design and the style are gorgeous. Human Revolution is a masterpiece that every gamer should own.
  74. Apr 22, 2014
    Deus Ex: HR is a fantastic game. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

The story is pretty good except that they don’t do a good enough of selling the main conflict. I don’t see the big deal about being a cyborg. It certainly beats being dead, which is what the main character would be w/out augment technology. Also, all of the multiple endings fell flat for me. They are basically
    FMV stock footage with narration about what happened.

Everything else is spot on, though: graphics, music, voice acting, and especially gameplay. Some people criticize Deus Ex: HR b/c they think there are too many upgrades available and you can max out too many stats. I say those people need to get over themselves. If they’re so hardcore they can either not collect the upgrades (many of which are optional) or simply not apply them.

Games like this make me wonder how & why people are still playing Metal Gear Solid. This has actual, real stealth-based gameplay and figuring out ways to knock out or kill people and hide their bodies is part of the fun. Controls are tight and movement is fluid, unlike in MGS games. It’s hard for me to imagine anyone having a bad time playing this game.
  75. Sep 26, 2013
    I like it, but it's got some REALLY annoying stuff in it. Like the fact that when an enemy spots you he immediately alerts everyone else annoying yes, but it is a brilliant game.
  76. Jan 22, 2014
    Highest on my best games ever list. It has a bunch of minor issues as others pointed out, but the characters, the story telling and the multiple ways to solve problems are things rarely seen in any game ever. OTOH, if you like your story easy to grasp and your characters clear cut good or bad, this game is not for you.
  77. Nov 13, 2013
    One of the best game of last years. Perfect on everything: story, gameplay, graphic and music. The rpg mode is very accurate and have waste of choice u can get for your ability, funny becouse that choice of abilities determinate your story and how u move forward on the game, if u like be more stealth u choice invisibility and hacker, if u like be more aggressive you can improve armor, combat and health to kick everybodys ass, one of the best single player i play in my life and it's sin that the game haven't the multiplayer mode, can be very interesting. Expand
  78. Nov 18, 2013
    The best game that allows to use different paths and skills to resolve a problem. An amazing story, excellent gameplay and cool cinematics. The side quests are very interesting, and the exploration of all the city allows to learn about the universe of Deus Ex. 100% Recommended!!!
  79. Nov 27, 2013
    In Deus Ex Human Revolution you play as Adam Jensen, and must uncover the truth behind conspiracies and twists in a future Detroit. This future is not only beautiful, but also rich and interesting, and as the plot progresses you will become more and more involved with the game. There are many missions available to the player (some that are required to advance in the story, others that are entirely optional), and the game gives you a lot of freedom on how to decide to finish them. You can talk to the right people and manipulate them to make everything easier, go straight to the point by engaging enemies in combat, silently take them out one by one, or evade them completely. To help make things a little easier, there are many different upgrades available for you and your weapons, and you'll want them. As you advance through the game, you'll not only face more difficult missions with increasingly numbers of stronger enemies, but also boss battles. These boss battles can be frustrating, and they feel terribly out of place. Unlike the rest of the game, there is no freedom here. All you can do is grab the best weapons you've got, shoot, and run.

Overall, this is a great, memorable game, and no boss battle can change that.

Good Points: Variety, beautiful game world, great characters
    Bad Points: Boss battles
  80. Feb 27, 2014
    I say, without any form of exaggeration, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is easily the worst video game I have ever played. I have played MANY bad games, some of which can scarcely be called "games", in my life, but every game I have played in my life, even those I have hated, have one thing in common that Human Revolution lacks: None of these games have caused me actual physical pain through their game design as Human Revolution has.

The game's art designer made decision to wash the entire game in a monochromatic "piss" yellow filter to cover his poor art assets and self inserting his own face onto the main character. This filter forces my eyes to attempt to separate yellow (a color that on its own is harsh on the human eye) from a slightly different yellow, a very stressful and irritating process that makes the game unplayable for me. How this was never realized during testing and before release is beyond me.

Even the mods that "fix" this problem do little more than make the harsh lighting white, not yellow. While white lighting is much less annoying than yellow is, attempting to seperate objects in the truly monochromatic environment (what is called "monochromatic" tends to have two colors, white and black, that contrast nicely and easily let you see objects, and greyscale even lets you make out detail in items)

I STRONGLY recommend against paying for this game, or playing it even if you don't have to pay for it. The physical pain aspect means that I could not even accept playing it even if I were payed to do so. This game should NEVER have been released in the state it was, and to actually charge money to fix this problem, as the developers have done, is just disgusting.
  81. Jul 18, 2014
    This game is excellent. However, you do have to muscle through the early stages, which might make you doubt your purchase. Keep at it, because the game quickly turns a corner into greatness.

As with many PC games, you'll see complaints about some ugly graphics that were outdated even in the year of the game's release, and they're not wrong. The sky boxes are almost fascinatingly ugly,
    with extremely low resolution and low colour textures smeared across the heavens like the dawn of Minecraft. Some models show clear signs of being animated by some kind of b-team, and make jerky movements like mannequins. However, as with so many games, your brain quickly accepts this initially odd world and works around it.

What matters is the game itself, and it's a treat for stealth fans, especially if you buy the Director's Cut with the extra missions. It also handles shooting well, and the upgrades to Adam's cybernetic form are good bait to ensure that you willingly stay in character and work as a good-guy detective. There are opportunities to think creatively and feel like you did the right thing, with a little extra planning and effort.

At first I thought I'd just be following along with Adam's story, thinking it would be impossible to empathise with his rather unpleasant surface facets, but by the end I'd become a lot more invested in the outcome. It stayed with me for a long time afterwards, and I'll look forward to a sequel. Otherwise, I'll happily play DE:HR again one day.
  82. Jun 27, 2014
    Wow, what a game. Better plot/story than 95% of sci-fi movies. SCORE 92/100.

Gripping and realistic story to the end, extremely immersive gameplay and RPG progression. MANY different ways to complete each micro and macro objective, from true ghost to stealthy assassin to rambo. The game rewards exploration and different styles well.

You will forget many movies and TV shows years from
    now, but you won't forget the story here, especially if much of it becomes true. Expand
  83. Dec 22, 2011
    Love it. Love the game, love the music. I never played the two games before this, the first i knew was good, but it seemed a bit too old and the second one was rated bad. But this one, is just perfect
  84. Jul 8, 2012
    A ton of thought was put into the world of this game, and it shows. There's lots going on. Lots to do. All kinds of people to interact with. Interesting conversations. Lots of opportunity to be stealthy. A hacking minigame that's actually fun (at least once you get a couple of upgrades). Just great stuff all around. If you're a fan of sneaky shooters with serious RPG elements, this is a must buy.
  85. Dec 17, 2011
    If you are a true Deus Ex fan then this is a must, is you're not then this REALLY IS A MUST! A engrossing world with great atmosphere, excellent soundtrack, freedom of choice and strong replay value. The visuals are also outstanding in some areas however some facial animations are a bit stiff!
  86. gas
    Jul 6, 2012
    I bought this game recently at 7 euros, i waited to buy it cause i was curious but i was a bit scared it was just a cod generation moronic game, about that its a very streamlined version of deus ex, but its quite good luckily. The game is a stealth/action fps with rpg elements and a "blade runner" setting with a story that should be very interesting and full of twists(in some occasions the plot is not totally logic tbh), its quite different from the first deus ex tbh, it has a lot of potential but much is wasted by some elements not working perfectly, but overall its quite good, fun, and the gameplay is working if you like to play not too hardcore stealthy fps. I finished in less then 50 hours at normal level, never find a problem to go on. i tried to play mostly stealth, exploring all the zones and trying to find all side quests. I think i will replay it at max difficulty later on, but thr replay value is not high cause its full scripted and the story is always the same except some minor choices. I have to tell the game is very linear and the rpg elements are super basic, anyway the story is quite good, at least its better then most shi-fi movies out there. The side quests are a lot opinable, cause many of them are just things like "please my cat cant get down the tree, can you help it pls?", also its a bit sad that you cant change nothing of the story, except the different endings. Anyway i played and i enjoyed it but i think its not really a masterpiece, especially for the AI really lacking, and the fact its very very linear, also the inventory mechanic could have been a lot better. Actually is july 2012, 1 year after release, i didnt encounter a single bug or crash so i imagine many things were fixed in the past, also graphically, ive read many reviews complaining about that, to me seems quite fine honestly, maybe its not the best of the best, but its enough good imo. Music is good, even if a bit repetitive, translation and voice acting in my language is very good, even if the game lacks completey lip sync but nvm. At the end surely i think it was possible to have a far better game adding free roaming and bigger maps with more life in them, anyway i still think its a good one (considered i bought it at 7 euros, for a full price 50 euros i think i could give a 7 max). Expand
  87. Sep 6, 2011
    Doesn't get much better than this. Great game play, great music, cool style, and all with in an open world that really allows you to play how you want. For me this game falls into the category of the other greatest game titles, such as Zelda, and Halflife. The atmosphere of this game will stick with me for many years to come.
  88. Jan 9, 2012
    The game is quite good. On first impression it seems like a remake of the first Deus Ex with better graphics (which is good news, I guess), even the plot turns are similar. Morst importantly, the gameplay is definitely there - thouroughly enjoyable. Closer to the end, however, I felt somewhat disappointed. The story became a bit too contrived and unconvincing, and the ending seemed a bit stupid. With better story and another 8-10 hours of gameplay (it took me 35hr) it could be a perfect game, like its predecessor. Still, I think it's worth the money. Expand
  89. Aug 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It's not even my kind of game, but the music, setting, and game play are great. I've given out too many 10's for them to be worth much anymore, and my gaming preferences have matured since my first review, but this game is indeed one of my favorites, despite being a type of game I've never played before. Excellent.
  90. Jul 13, 2013
    A fluid gameplay (which stumbles onto useless cinematic of "takedowns"), a rather linear scenario but broadened by possible personal choices. However, the general aesthetics is disturbing at first, dull in the end. On maximum difficulty, the game fails to provide real challenges. I am trying to avoid comparison to the initial sets but they had a real ambiance. By this one, paradoxically to the scenario and how the hero is involved in the story, I failed to attach to his fate.

The good:
    - The fluidity of the gameplay
    - The quality of the graphics
    - The work on the characters

The bad:
    - The general ambiance
    - The somewhat linearity of the scenario
    - The constant short cinematic for the take-downs
    - I miss a good DLC (I won't go into critics of the missing link)
    - The repeatability of the strategy, or the dullness of the AI
  91. Sep 12, 2011
    This is the best single player game I have ever played. I just finished with 30 hours of play time. I bought the game about a week ago. This is probably the first game I'll play through again just to get the couple side quests I missed. Really, I can't believe how good this game was.
  92. Oct 17, 2011
    Deus Ex: HR is truly worthy of the Deus Ex name and is a shining example of how to make video games. Regarding the graphics, it has immaculate attention to detail and a gorgeous artistic vision from start to finish. The 3D modeling is superb with even minor objects amazingly crafted. The gameplay is smooth and extremely well thought out. Each area, quest, and item serves a distinct purpose and it all fits together to allow you the freedom to play the game your way, yet still provide a consistently quality experience. Few developers have both the passion and the skills to forge a masterpiece like this, a game that you should thoroughly digest, playing through it at least three times. Moreover, like the original Deus Ex, itâ Expand
  93. Sep 9, 2011
    So I guess the bottom line question is "should I but this game"? I would say yes, and that it is also worth $49.99. Do I think this game is the best Deus Ex game out of the 3? Yes. Do I think this game stands on its own merits? Yes. Do I feel that the game is a true PC game and not a port? Yes, the game is spectacular for PC. Am I happy I bought the game? Yes, I would pay top-dollar again.

Having downloaded the game through Steam 12 hours ago (and playing it since), I can confirm that the game has a polished release. The PC version feels like a true PC game and not a port from a console.
    The game uses PC resources fairly well in fact; with practically no load times in open-world areas and brief loads times for others. Loading a game save is similarly brief while saving occurs almost instantly. Usually, in parts of the game where you are likely to die, the game will autosave for you in case you fail. A nice addition to the auto-save feature is that the game keeps the previous autosave just in case you want to re-do a game choice (which admit to using several times thus far since some choices did affect game story quite a bit). The visuals are appropriate for PC- with high definition graphics plus appropriate options depending on your PC build and monitor- even though the game will choose the best balance for your system by default. They even had the correct resolution for my 720p HD TV that I use as a PC monitor (1216x684), which is always a hit and miss thing for new games.

One thing that really stood out about this game was the voice acting and character models. NPC city dwellers all differ in appearance with even a majority of enemy NPC's having different hairstyles and facial details. I also like the voice acting overall- for a game that has so much voice acting in general you would expect as such. IMO, the voice acting is well above average and the cinematic sequences are extremely entertaining to watch and add to the story.

A fun gameplay element from the 1st Deus Ex makes a return in this game, which is the illicit snooping of emails and the hacking of computer consoles. Some computers are errantly unlocked, giving immediate access to emails, whereas others require passwords or hacking to glean gossip or useful intel. I found the amount of comms like this were on par with the 1st Deus Ex. A nice touch was the addition newspapers (which are electronic news clips of sorts) that reflect your in-game actions. These small touches add authenticity and help show that your actions have consequences. It also appears that if you kill somebody in game (and there are quite a few friendly and enemy NPC's in general) they absolutely will not come back to life just b/c you leave the area and come back later. In fact, you can kill the side-quest giving NPC's which is a drastic test of realism, but entirely possible if you play that way.

Story and plot-wise the game stands on it's own while still adhering to the timeline of the Deus Ex game since It is apparently a prequel to the Deus Ex series. Having played the first Deus Ex myself I couldn't find any inconsistencies in the game lore. In fact, I did recognize familiar names and even familiar voices from the first Deus Ex that are present in Human Revolution.
  94. Nov 10, 2011
    A game for the ages. Once again, single player is the main focus of this story driven game. And it's great. The story is interesting, kept me hooked most of the way. The people aren't quite as interesting, but the sidequests are still fun. The gameplay is was amazing. It reminds me of Crysis in that you get to chose how you approach a problem, which is great. No character is the same through the use of augmentations, and replayablity is possible. A very worthy successor to the original, no doubt about it. Expand
  95. Sep 2, 2012
    more of an 8.5, but for the sheer amazing story, design, soundtrack and pretty much everything i have decided to round up the score.
    the boss fights. a hot topic. if you are smart enough to make sure you always have an assault rifle with you and a stack of 200 ammo, you should be fine. they were hard, very hard. even on easiest setting.

but as for the good stuff, well i decided to just
    say the bad stuff, as there is so much good stuff you just cant say.

if you love a rich, in depth world, a great story, or just stealthy gameplay and a big challenge, then this game is for you. it is amazing.. not that i should need to reccommend it as you should have already played it
  96. Oct 2, 2011
    The story telling is really superb as well is the dialogue scenes, you choices are more life like, if you do not choose an answer soon for all characters you will suffer consequences. I love how your pressured into completing missions. If you take to long, such as strolling around minding your own business ignoring the task at hand people can die. The game play is much more fluent then I expected it to be. The options to approach each mission are very smart in choice for the player, had fun playing it. Expand
  97. Sep 5, 2011
    Deus EX human Revolution... What a game. everything is perfect, except one thing. It stutters on Dual Core processors because it's not using all the cpu memory but i found out, setting the game priority to High fixed 90% of the stutter.
    I can enjoy every single mission on it, i love the music background, voiceacting is superb. Graphically the game isn't bad at all, for an old engine they
    did the textures and image quality quite beautifully.
    What i love the most on this game is it's atmosphere. The enhancements are awesome, the producers thought about everything and the game is worth every penny of the 60euros spend..
    I highly recommend buying that game, it's one of the best. Excellent work Eidos Montreal, i'm proud of you guys
  98. Zri
    Dec 30, 2011
    Although the story progression bears some significant similarity to the original, Human Revolution is pretty awesome. The environment is superb, especially considering the limiting size brought on by console versions of games in recent times, the voice acting and models were by and large excellent, and the length of the game was very satisfying. More importantly, this *felt* like a Deus Ex game.

Where Human Revolution really shines however is the flavour items. The little bits of peoples' lives you get through reading their email, overhearing their conversations, and reading ebooks and news items scattered around the place. While many other games have these elements in them, they have often either go over the top in terms of length and typically suffer from poor writing and formatting, making them a chore to read. Human Revolution's tend to be short, to the point, and entertaining. They make it worth breaking into someone's apartment to read their email, and thus exploring is fun, and not just a way to get more gear or experience (although you will gain both).

It's rare to find a game that strikes a good balance between sneaking and combat, but HR does a very good job of both (although the alarm system is a bit unrealistic in how quickly things get back to normal after you disappear, but that's a sacrifice on the altar of fun). Taking a leaf from Splinter Cell and requiring you to hide bodies if you want to stay stealthy is a lot of fun, even if the dragging animation isn't as good as Sam's fireman's lift; being able to stash bodies in ventilation ducts makes up for it.

Overall:
    Graphics: Excellent
    Voice/Music/Sounds: Excellent
    Immersiveness: Fantastic
    Buy it.
  99. Jan 7, 2013
    Well, I played it on its first release and this game failed to attract me at my first half walk through. But ultimately I admitted that it stood on a higher attitude than mine and I need time to think about it.
  100. Oct 31, 2011
    Top 5 games. I just love this game, thou stealth is not normally my favorite option. You can do only stealth, try to talk your way of off it or combat. Also cool side quest, a movie like plot/story which is amazing. The aug system is awesome, and you can really build your character. I would like to compare it with bioshock, which is truly amazing too. The graphics are also cool. If you like singlerplayer games its a mjst buy. The game is modarete long, took me 10 hours, without sidequest. The game is not perfect put very close. I would give it 9.7 with bioshock on 9.8 half-life 9.89. Expand
  101. Jul 27, 2012
    So, did you play the first Deus Ex? If so you'll probably enjoy this one. It takes many of the original elements of the first, and applies them successfully to the second game. We'll pretend that DX:IW never happened. If you're looking for straight out gun battles, this game probably isn't for you, if you like games where you need to think your way through some parts it will be. There are some rough spots, there are some problems even nearly a year later. But overall the 5th play through that I've done, it's a solid game worthy of being in the Deus Ex namesake. Collapse

There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]