9.3

1. Mar 2, 2012
    You know what should truly sell you on deus ex? Reading the negative reviews on metacritic. Then cross-compare them with the positive reviews. Then add a dash of common sense and ability to analyse and read between the lines. Now, onto the actual review. Deus ex - has been my favorite game for the past 12 years. And I play a lot of games. Why? It's sure visually aged poorly, it's kind ofYou know what should truly sell you on deus ex? Reading the negative reviews on metacritic. Then cross-compare them with the positive reviews. Then add a dash of common sense and ability to analyse and read between the lines. Now, onto the actual review. Deus ex - has been my favorite game for the past 12 years. And I play a lot of games. Why? It's sure visually aged poorly, it's kind of clunky. So surely that means I deduct a few points right there? No. Deus ex is the true definition of a masterpiece, it gives you true options - options that the lesser masterpiece human revolution can't even match. It still stands alone as something incredible - the only problem is that now people have to look past the age (if they are coming in fresh). Each hub (or sectioned level) offers hundreds possible 'ways' to achieve a simple goal. Let me explain - It's like this; there is a simple thing you need to do. You need to infiltrate a building and get past all the guards in the building so you can download an important document (this is hypothetical). Now, there are about 10-15 different 'ways' you can get into the building and each 'way' has branching 'options'. So options, lead to options, lead to options. You take choice 5 out of 15 and go through the sewers instead of the top, no strike that - you decide going above ground is best, so you get a crane and lower the shaft so you can sneak across onto the roof - no strike that, you decide to go full force and shoot everyone in your path - no strike that, you decide to go to the building manager and get a keypass, now when you open the caravan that the manager is in, it has cameras inside it, so you hack those cameras to work for you. You then threaten the manager with information you have on him, that you picked up off a nearby computer - then you walk past the guards and enter the keypass into the door slot. You walk strait in, and decide to open a vent that leads you to the roof, in which you plant explosives that might distract the guards. You walk up to the heavily guarded entrance to your objective - and you remotely detonate the explosive, all the guards run towards the threat and you walk into the room. Problem solved. Now, that thing you did was one of a few hundred things you could have done to achive that same 8 minute objective. Now you have 30 hours of incredible globe trotting, storytelling, twists turns, cities, exploration - all with that very level of freedom options. It's mindblowing. That's what you need to understand when you boot up deus ex and see some janky graphics and blocky models. No, this is not just 'some first person shooter' dig deeper. And find one of the true miracles of gaming. This game needs a 999/10 score made specifically for it. Masterpiece is a painful understatement. This is a revolution in gaming that never took off. So far ahead of it's time that nothing else can quite match it. I truly hope the developers of human revolution make another deus ex game - because I think they had the right idea. They did not 'quite' pull off 'deus ex'. But I have a feeling they are heading towards something great. And that's promising. Expand
  2. May 25, 2011
    Best Game ever when you know that not even the people who made it, cannot even repeat the same level of genius that this game is. It is truly one of kind in terms of level design, story, atmosphere, characters and things that are not even seen in other games. Whenever somebody mentions the name of this game people reinstall it back onto their computers, but in my case I always keep itBest Game ever when you know that not even the people who made it, cannot even repeat the same level of genius that this game is. It is truly one of kind in terms of level design, story, atmosphere, characters and things that are not even seen in other games. Whenever somebody mentions the name of this game people reinstall it back onto their computers, but in my case I always keep it installed on my PC to remind me how amazing gaming can get. Expand
  3. Jun 11, 2011
    I still remember walking around the streets of chinatown, and hearing that hilarious accent, I **** loved this game! Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    Admittedly, it is hard to go back and play Deus Ex these last few years. The game's age has by far taken its toll on the experience. However, just because I outgrew the game does not mean it is worse than it was 10 years ago. With an overhauled GFX engine this game could easily make its way back into modern gaming libraries. The game had DEPTH! Excellent storyline, characters, andAdmittedly, it is hard to go back and play Deus Ex these last few years. The game's age has by far taken its toll on the experience. However, just because I outgrew the game does not mean it is worse than it was 10 years ago. With an overhauled GFX engine this game could easily make its way back into modern gaming libraries. The game had DEPTH! Excellent storyline, characters, and gameplay. I can admit that time gave deus ex a huge black eye, but before its gfx aged, it was a near perfect game. Expand
  5. Dec 26, 2010
    For its time it must have been a good game, compared to games we have now its laughable, horrible graphics, chunky gameplay, characters that look like wooden puppets. Nostalgia really has pulled the wool over many peoples' eyes. Though i wouldn't call it a bad game it is merely outdated, it was a major step forward for FPSs but if you try to hold it against modern titles it falls toFor its time it must have been a good game, compared to games we have now its laughable, horrible graphics, chunky gameplay, characters that look like wooden puppets. Nostalgia really has pulled the wool over many peoples' eyes. Though i wouldn't call it a bad game it is merely outdated, it was a major step forward for FPSs but if you try to hold it against modern titles it falls to pieces. Just take peoples word it was a good game for its time but don't believe this "best game ever" hype, games have drastically improved over time. But i'll give you it has a great story and many (for its time) revolutionary features, but most FPSs have these as a staple benchmark. Expand
  6. May 19, 2011
    Deus Ex is the best PC game of all time. It perfectly blends shooting and stealth elements with RPG mechanics. Its multi-path level design still remains unsurpassed by any other game. All time classic. 10/10
  7. May 17, 2011
    Despite being over 10 years old, Deus Ex is still one of the best games around in my opinion. It has everything a video game should have. The story itself already makes it very interesting and captivating. The environments are beautiful and atmospheric, the music is fantastic, the characters are very deep and well-developed. The gameplay is very varied, giving plenty of room for replaying.Despite being over 10 years old, Deus Ex is still one of the best games around in my opinion. It has everything a video game should have. The story itself already makes it very interesting and captivating. The environments are beautiful and atmospheric, the music is fantastic, the characters are very deep and well-developed. The gameplay is very varied, giving plenty of room for replaying. Together with the PS2 version of this game I have completed it over 10 times and I still keep coming back to it. Not only is the game varied in terms of weapons and skills chosen by the player, but also by the storyline choices made, for each choice bears consequences. If you have not saved a major character, he will not appear later on in the game, or even something you've done earlier in the game will cause a certain character to say something entirely different to you much later on, or some characters to like you more and some less. Deus Ex gameplay consists of multiple ways of solving the same problems, meaning that each time you play it you discover a new secret entrance or an area. It's very unlikely that you'll explore the entire game on the first playthrough (or even the first half a dozen playthroughs). And finally the game also has three different endings, posing a moral dilemma to the player of making the best choice. Deus Ex is a revolutionary game and should appeal to many gamers. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2010
    If you have been searching for a game that is truly revolutionary and changed the gaming industry as we know it then search no more. Deus Ex short for "Deus Ex Machina" meaning from Latin for "god out of the machine, in itself is a masterpiece. Do not let the old school graphics deter you from experiencing a game that can potentially change your life and how you see the world for ever.If you have been searching for a game that is truly revolutionary and changed the gaming industry as we know it then search no more. Deus Ex short for "Deus Ex Machina" meaning from Latin for "god out of the machine, in itself is a masterpiece. Do not let the old school graphics deter you from experiencing a game that can potentially change your life and how you see the world for ever.

Journey through the New York streets, Hong Kong, Paris, and so much more. Determine how you want to solve complex social situations and missions, earn experience for actually exploring and completing things in different ways. Meet interesting characters and decide what kind of person you want to become.

I won't spoil the plot for you but just know that the game lets you decide how you want to play. Do you want to be a master hacker while also shooting people from 100 yards away? How about taking a low tech approach with non lethal weapons while breaking with masterful lockpick skills? If you want to go in gun blazing with flame throwers and rocket launchers then go ahead. Truly however you decide to experience the game is up to you. The plot is deep and rich filled with conspiracies and will open your eyes and make you question the society we live in today. I dare say this game even has some prophecies tied to it. Just look at the world today and compare it to the game which cam eout in 2000 but is set in the time period 2052. Why are you even reading this? If you got this far it's time to play the game. Download it directly from your favorite online retailer. This is a must play game for anyone who likes videogames.
  9. Dec 20, 2010
    It's conceivable that they could just remake this game everytime the graphics industry moves up a notch. I'd still replay from start to finish and probably find a piece of conversation or alternative mission strategy that hasn't cropped up the last 20 times.

Best. Game. Ever. Hardcore and badass throughout. Nothing has compared since.
  10. May 12, 2011
    One of the best and arguably most important games for the PC. Great story and gameplay that lets you choose either with stealth or brute force to complete missions. Only problems I have with it is it's ropey graphics (even at the time) and the weapons feel limp and lifeless. This is the template for so many of today's games.

Dragon's Tooth Sword FTW!
  11. Oct 23, 2010
    An experience in RPGs you can never forget. This game probably inspired most of the modern open ended RPGs. We can all thank this game for the great games of our generation.
  12. Jul 2, 2011
    This is a classic for a reason: it's a powerful game-play experience you won't soon forget. Granted, it's showing its age and it does take a commitment. It's not a guns blazing FPS. But for those who want a thinking man's FPS, this is it. Great characters, great environment, and great plot. Be sure to also download a few select Deus Ex mods for the best experience, such as New Vision,This is a classic for a reason: it's a powerful game-play experience you won't soon forget. Granted, it's showing its age and it does take a commitment. It's not a guns blazing FPS. But for those who want a thinking man's FPS, this is it. Great characters, great environment, and great plot. Be sure to also download a few select Deus Ex mods for the best experience, such as New Vision, Shifter, Project HDTP, Deus Ex Enhanced, & Kentie's Deus Exe. Seriously, just play this game. If you don't like it, then you need to reevaluate your life. Expand
  13. Feb 20, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. It got a great story, wonderful gameplay with multiple path choices and a lot of rpg elements from exploration xp to a great skill system. I have played it at least 4 times and today no game I have played or know about is even close in the enjoyment this game have given me.
  14. Mar 18, 2011
    This game is excellent, simply put. Sure, it's really hard, but all games of the time were. When you got a game then, it was all about the single player. If it were short and easy, like most current games are, then it wouldn't have much substance and wouldn't be much fun. The controls take literally a minute to change to modern FPS controls, so you can't really complain about them. UnlikeThis game is excellent, simply put. Sure, it's really hard, but all games of the time were. When you got a game then, it was all about the single player. If it were short and easy, like most current games are, then it wouldn't have much substance and wouldn't be much fun. The controls take literally a minute to change to modern FPS controls, so you can't really complain about them. Unlike many current games, it actually has a decent story and good atmosphere. The game has aged surprisingly well over eleven years. To get an idea of what I mean, go back and play the original Half-Life. Amazing game, but looks so bad it's almost impossible to play. The RPG elements are implemented really well, and any level-ups make an immediate difference in the game. While the inventory system is kind of a pain, it's realistic and works well. There's a reason this game is often hailed as the best PC game of all time: it's excellent. If you don't like it, you don't know a good game when you play it! Expand
  15. Aug 3, 2011
    There's not a lot to say that you won't get from the hundreds of other reviews here. The story is very well done, and the gameplay is a very original FPS/RPG hybrid. At times the game seems just slightly repetitive, and that's the only thing holding it back from a 10.
  16. Jun 24, 2011
    This game is amazing,its a futuristic cyber punk game where corporations and hidden groups controll the people in various ways,it suffers of an epidemic called gray death and the vaccine called "Ambrosia" cannot be delivered to anyone,riots wreck the streets,people are desperate for the vaccine.

It mixes RPG with FPS perfectly,you can use lockpicking,computer skills,bypassing circuits,stealth,agression and secondary routes to complete your missions and objectives,on top of that,you get a prfect nano augmentantion system for you are a super advanced experiment that instead of using mechanical augmentations,uses this new pieces of technology,you can have various abilities this way.

its only problem is that you might hafe to play it twice to get all the details of the plot or understand it because its a bit complicated.
  17. Aug 7, 2011
    Deus Ex was something new. Something far outside the box. It took freedom of choice to a new level by breaking things down perfectly. It had incredible gameplay, incredible characters, and an unbeatable storyline. No game had ever done what Deus Ex did. It balances action, humor, suspense, and plot like no other to date.
  18. Aug 17, 2011
    This game is so good it's still regular makes the top ten best pc games of all time in various charts. It's got everything. I only hope Deus Ex human evolution is half as good.
  19. Aug 17, 2011
    I bought this game during summer camp 2011 on steam. Wow! It is 11 years old and it still so entertaining! There are so many things to do, to discover, to read, they thought about everything. It's a must play, if you can handle low graphics (which were amazing for the time) you should enjoy a lot!
  20. Aug 27, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever created. Just finish Deus Ex:HR (prequel of Deus Ex) and will now start classic DX again :-) If thats your plan too: Make sure to use the new HighRes Package from http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision
  21. Dec 21, 2010
    This game is like so overrated. Played the 1st mission and already didn't like it. its like playing an upgraded version of doom 1. The ai was horrible, the controls was all over the keyboard. Horrible mix of RPG keyboard layout & fps genre. The inventory is too small to hold much items. Gotta agree with AnonymousMC that maybe someone paid people to write those good review because its likeThis game is like so overrated. Played the 1st mission and already didn't like it. its like playing an upgraded version of doom 1. The ai was horrible, the controls was all over the keyboard. Horrible mix of RPG keyboard layout & fps genre. The inventory is too small to hold much items. Gotta agree with AnonymousMC that maybe someone paid people to write those good review because its like so much different when playing it. I really suggest that you try a demo or something 1st if you still want to trust all those good & maybe fake review? Expand
  22. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is simply disappointing. With abysmal combat, a disjointed setting, horrific graphics for it's era, it gives you very little to compel you to continue playing and with its absolutely insulting ending, it rewards you with a slap in the face.

This game is a deformed scion of the much more superior System Shock 2. What is the use of presenting different avenues of gameplay

This game is a deformed scion of the much more superior System Shock 2.

What is the use of presenting different avenues of gameplay when a majority of the gameplay is crushingly boring? The only positives about the game is how it drew attention to it's spiritual predecessor, it's evocative music and that it's around 30-40 hours to beat.

Very rarely have I played a game, then heard people raving about it later and wondered 'what do they see that I don't?'
  23. Jan 14, 2013
    Open FPS RPG that doesn't feel like either side is tacked on. Nice dystopian cyberpunk atmosphere and some sweet music. A few balance issues and terrible voice acting.
  24. Jun 22, 2012
    Oh Dear. If I played this one when it originally came out, It might have been awesome. But the game didn't age as well as quake for instance did. The game is longish, and often frustrating due to its difficulty. (maybe i should have played an easier level...). The missions are longish, and instead of providing some feeling of being rewarded for your prowess they seem to be endless chainsOh Dear. If I played this one when it originally came out, It might have been awesome. But the game didn't age as well as quake for instance did. The game is longish, and often frustrating due to its difficulty. (maybe i should have played an easier level...). The missions are longish, and instead of providing some feeling of being rewarded for your prowess they seem to be endless chains of load/die/load/die/load/die/AHA!/Next room, lather, rinse, repeat. I've never been a great fan of stealth games, but this isn't i title that will convince me to the genre. THe atmosphere didn't set in, and the game discouraged me multiple times to the point that i didn't return to it for 2 years. After returning the only question was "Why am I forcing myself to play this, if it really doesn't entertain me? Expand
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    Best game ever....of all time. Well o.k. it is showing it's age some but what an epic story! The graphics are of the era when just moving your jaw when you talked was cutting edge. Still, it has more content than any three modern games put together. The music was terrific and always matched the locales. The environments were varied and they offered multiple solutions to it's sand-box styleBest game ever....of all time. Well o.k. it is showing it's age some but what an epic story! The graphics are of the era when just moving your jaw when you talked was cutting edge. Still, it has more content than any three modern games put together. The music was terrific and always matched the locales. The environments were varied and they offered multiple solutions to it's sand-box style missions. My only complaint after twelve full play-troughs is that the inventory and crate-breaking got a bit tedious. The weapons were fun to use and the world seemed richly populated with characters that had their own stories. May we see more games like this again once the brown-shooter-dark-age is over. Expand
  26. Apr 6, 2012
    The game is very fun to play and is one of my favourite FPS/RPG games. The story is outstanding and the fact that you can majorly affect it throughout the game makes it even more interesting and adding replayability trying to get a slightly different story. Also the fact that you can play the game any way you like to play it. You can play it like an FPS game, shooting enemies or even as aThe game is very fun to play and is one of my favourite FPS/RPG games. The story is outstanding and the fact that you can majorly affect it throughout the game makes it even more interesting and adding replayability trying to get a slightly different story. Also the fact that you can play the game any way you like to play it. You can play it like an FPS game, shooting enemies or even as a stealth game sneaking past everything without killing anybody. Expand
  27. Jun 18, 2011
    Don't know what to say really... I don't see the appeal. Controls are fairly bad, the graphics didn't age well or even look that great at release and the combat and stealth systems are just plain silly.
  28. Sep 19, 2011
    This is an a example of a game that hasn't aged well. The game just isn't worth the buy anymore. If you want to spend your money, spend it towards the newest one, Deus Ex: HUMAN REVOULUTION. Much better game
  29. Oct 15, 2011
    Deus Ex represents the apotheosis of video-game design. It has never been equalled, let alone surpassed, in this regard.

To understand Deus Ex requires an understanding of its pedigree. In the nineties, game design was beginning to fall into two different camps: the linear, tightly-controlled setup that could be seen in games like Doom and Quake, and in a more sophisticated fashion Half Life, and a more non-linear, experience-led approach. This latter approach was found in comparatively few games, as it was far costlier to make and typically resulted in far fewer sales. For these games, which were later dubbed the "immersive simulators" by Warren Spector, emergent gameplay was king. That meant that the game designer would not explicitly design the experience, but rather would let the player do things their way. Games like Ultima Underwolrd, Thief and System Shock would be the opening salvos of this style of gaming, all of which were popular and profitable, albeit not mega-successes. Deus Ex took things one stage further. As well as allowing most objectives to be completed in numerous different ways, map design was completely non-linear, and bizarre solutions to complex problems could be devised. Under attack in a penthouse apartment? Leap out of the window, break both your legs, and crawl away. Need to get past a laser defence grid, but can't? Try smoking onto it, that'll disrupt the beams. Need to stun two men to get past, but have no weapons? Use a fire extinguisher to blind them in the face. Need to infiltrate a guarded building? Reconnoitre it out, and look for a way in via the roof, or the sewers. Or try and bribe your way in. Need to get past a wall, but don't want to fight the guards? Why not try stacking up physics objects like crates and rubbish bags to make an impromptu staircase? This was the philosophy that underpinned Deus Ex, and no other game since has even tried to be as open to different user play-styles and ingenious solutions. Wrap all that up in a grittily believable world, with just dripped atmosphere and had an incredible soundtrack, and which moreover was filled with deep questions such as "who is really in control of society?", and you have an incredible, incredible game. People who want a high-octane first person shooter in the vein of Half-Life should keep away. This game is far more cold, and calculated, than it is high-octane. Those looking for a Mass Effect-style game, which is brutally linear in the gameplay but allows for some trivial choices in conversations, should also look away here. Deus Ex does things the other way around: conversations are functional and barebones, but the way that the user "chooses" paths comes from what he or she does in the gameplay. As an interactive medium, I believe this is as it should be. This is a game for which I have a lot of love, as you can no doubt see. I think it understood exactly what a game is and what it should do better than any others I have played. It's not for everyone, as I have outlined, nor should it be regarded as perfect (although it is very close). Technology of 2000 was pretty limiting, especially graphically and in terms of AI programming. On the other hand, if you like games at all, and want to experience something a tad more cerebral and involving than the Mass Effects and Call of Duties of the gaming world, then you can do no better than Deus Ex.
  30. Mar 3, 2012
    Basically, play this game. Full of little flaws and far from perfect, and yet still in the top 5 games of all time... which should give you an indication of just how good it is. Of all the 'classic old' games it's probably aged the best, the atmosphere is just unrivalled, outlasting the graphics. Even the creators haven't come close to replicating it's genius.
  31. Mar 19, 2012
    An alright game I guess. Obviously there are elements of hype and nostalgia in play here for many people but even taking account of those things this is still a very special game. Don't believe anyone who tells you it's perfect but it's still very deserving of praise. Five stars.
  32. Apr 21, 2012
    I must be one of the few people who played Deus Ex: Human Revolution BEFORE playing the original. Seems appropriate enough though, since HR is a prequel anyway. After having completed this one, I noticed that there is clearly continuity between the two games, including story and gameplay elements, locations, similar characters, and even the same bits of dialogue. Anyway, this is overall aI must be one of the few people who played Deus Ex: Human Revolution BEFORE playing the original. Seems appropriate enough though, since HR is a prequel anyway. After having completed this one, I noticed that there is clearly continuity between the two games, including story and gameplay elements, locations, similar characters, and even the same bits of dialogue. Anyway, this is overall a solid game that I wish I'd played 12 years ago when it came out. It took me about 30 hours to play from start to finish. My only real complaint is it's always dark throughout the game, but everything else about it is absolutely solid. I completed my first playthrough a couple of days ago, and will probably play it again. If you're reading this review and haven't played this game yet, stop reading and go play it! Expand
  33. Jul 27, 2012
    Quite rightly considered by many as the greatest PC game of all time. This is simply stunning and when it was released in 2000 it completely rewrote gaming.

The best thing about this game is that it doesn't feel like a game. The levels are so huge, the characters so interactive, and the puzzles solved in so many different ways that this feels like a limitless world. Every element comes together perfectly: an incredible storyline that has you tied up in knots, gameplay that allows you to play the way you want to play, and an augmentation system that lets you mould your character in weird and wonderful ways.

Do you want to be a stealthy assassin? Then develop your hacking, sniping and running silently skills, stick a silence modification on your sniper rifle and away you go. Want to run round shooting anything that moves? Then level up your ballistic shielding, stick a couple of recoil modifications on your machine gun, and let's get to work. As long as you have a consistent plan, any gameplay style is catered for.

I'm still waiting to play a game since Deus Ex that even comes close.
  34. Jul 23, 2012
    Mista Denton, in the fleeesss

Deus Ex - every time you mention it, someone reinstalls it. One of those games that never really gets old. The story, the gameplay, the dialog, and best of all - the music. Everything was perfect.

Smashthestate!
  35. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the best game i have played. Its perfect in all senses, only riuned in part with that animations...but nothing important having in mind how awesome it is.
  36. Dec 11, 2012
    Imitators have tried but none have topped this masterpiece. Combines genres flawlessly and has a flexible story that truly changes based on your actions with multiple endings. The only downside are the graphics (which were bad even for their time), but this can be fixed with mods. Any modern PC can run this so you have no excuse for not playing this.
  37. Jun 6, 2013
    Well....i am playing games since the doom 1 and this game was not good even in year, when come out. First of all, level design is simply terrible big empty corridors, plazas and tunnels where is almost empty there is nothing to see, just running, that is what are you doing most of time, just running in square and empty levels!!! Doom 1 has better levels than this.
    Second thing, this
    Second thing, this game doesn't have a soul feeling, that you are in the game. RPG system doesn't exist you simply take exp when level design gave you!!! For example for killing, cracking computers, or stealth action you take nothing, but when you explore small secret room, speak with NPC whatever else, you take exp points! The all game is build on idea when level scenarist think that is time, then you take exp, items, ammunition simply all things that you need. THIS GAME DOES NOT HAVE ANY SENSE WITH LEVEL DESIGN, ITEM PLACING OR EXP TAKING items is just spread across levels without any sense and level seems like copied from doom 1. And the dialogues in the game is simply mechanical, like when you see a commercial in TV.
    My summary is, that this game is HUGE OVERRATED like any ion storm game and was not funny even in year, when come out. One of my biggest disappointing experience. Thx
  38. May 23, 2013
    Maybe in 2000 this was a highly rated game with graphics and the concept of the game. But let's bring this rating up to date please! Compared with the newer versions of Deus Ex, this one has to be in the bottom. So I'm rating this pretty low just so it's fair to the newer versions.
  39. Jun 20, 2013
    (Note: This review judges the game by 2013 standards rather than 2000,and was played on Realistic difficulty)

The observant may note that in a sea of praise for this game, my review score of 6 is somewhat alone. This may be for a number of reasons--maybe I tried to play it too far past its prime as compared to others, or maybe I am more critical of its flaws than the nostalgia-goggled mass. In any case, I would have loved to give this game a higher score, but a few key points keep it from being above average for me.

The very reason this game is praised as an innovation (and rightly so) is why I cannot love it as others do. The choice of character development is just too skewed in the Stealth/Pistol/Lockpick builds favor. You can try to build a tank of a character that shoots all that moves with rockets and LAMs, but you will quickly find yourself out of ammo and stuck in unwinnable situations unless you take up arms in a different category.

Be clear, I have no problem playing a thief. I did so for many years in every game I was able, and have become quite good at it. But the problem with sneaking around and being a OHKO character is that much of the difficulty of the game is cut away since no dev has been able to design a game in which multiple combat styles are available without making stealth OP (this is true even today). As such, you feel gimped as a character that specs in anything but stealth related skills (silenced handguns, crossbows, lockpicking, silenced SR's). So while the game is throwing GEP guns and LAWS at me, I am forced to ignore the more straightforward and difficult approach of nosily navigating my way to objectives in favor of crawling through yet another air duct.

Without looking at any message boards or wikis, I guaranteethe default JC build goes something like Max Small Weapons,Max Lockpick OR Electronics, Max Rifles, one or two points in computers, with maybe a few points thrown into heavy or melee just because they were laying around.

Augs have the same problem, with only 1 or 2 being truely useful the entire game (Flashlight, Healing) another few being situational (Fast Movement, Cloak, Lift Enviro/Bullet Protection) and everything else never being touched.

Oh, and on the topic of weapons, they tend to be unbalanced as well. Ammo acquisition makes or breaks most weapons, which means the handgun and assault rifles should be king, however the AS is a burst fire hog that is just plain inefficient compared to a single head shot from a pistol or a swipe with the DRS. Things like LAMs are situational, but effective at any level on any difficulty, making the skill all but useless to invest into. The same can be said for heavy weapons.

In short, I feel like my character was railroaded with an illusion of choice in a game that boasts sandbox levels in which the player is supposed to be able to play their own way in whatever style they choose.

Now, saying all of that, the game is still great. The story has some great hooks, the gameplay is great, the variation of ways to complete objectives in revolutionary for its time, and you can tell a lot of love went into it. Pretty much all the praise you hear about this game is true, and I would recommend it to anyone. Its a definite prerequisite if you think you have any business calling yourself a fan of VGs.
  40. Dec 22, 2013
    Fantastic!
    The atmosphere is incredibly dark and immersive, and the story is fantastic, especially if you like conspiracy theories.
    Graphically it may not have aged well, but the controls still works excellent. There's so much to do, read, explore, find...

Definitively worth at least 2 playthroughs!
  41. Aug 7, 2013
    Far better than my experience on the PS2, however I find this game very hard, especially if you are new to this kind of game that gives you many, many options. You have to know what you want to specialise in or otherwise you get your ass handed to you every time. I hate the lack of a shop too, somewhere I could offload the junk I pick up to buy some new stuff would be great. However theFar better than my experience on the PS2, however I find this game very hard, especially if you are new to this kind of game that gives you many, many options. You have to know what you want to specialise in or otherwise you get your ass handed to you every time. I hate the lack of a shop too, somewhere I could offload the junk I pick up to buy some new stuff would be great. However the story itself is what it's famous for and it is quite believeable that the things that are going on behind the scenes could actually happen in a futuristic world. Expand
  42. Nov 18, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time, and it may be yours. This game is an RPG with action elements, and you can do what you want in the game. You can go through the entire game without killing a single characters, even grunts! You can go through the game mattering on the skills you choose, your good at hacking? Hack that console to turn on a turret and wipe out a room of bad guys. Good atThis is my favorite game of all time, and it may be yours. This game is an RPG with action elements, and you can do what you want in the game. You can go through the entire game without killing a single characters, even grunts! You can go through the game mattering on the skills you choose, your good at hacking? Hack that console to turn on a turret and wipe out a room of bad guys. Good at stealth? Sneak past them knocking out only that ones you have to. And many, many more ways to go through this monster of a game. The characters in this game feel so real, you may forget you are playing a video game. The graphics are great for the time, especially with a game this long. If you are playing on realistic (highest difficulty in the game) it can take you 15 hours, and even more. The first level alone takes an hour. I still remember when this game came out, and my parents buying it for me, still have my original copy; Anyway, this game has huge replay value, you can take the game a whole different route! Guns blazing? Or Silent? You decide. Expand
  43. Aug 5, 2014
    No words can do this masterpiece a justice, so I will put it simply: Deus Ex is the best game ever made. I'm playing games for the last 25 years, I played hundreds, if not thousands of titles and I came across many masterpieces and fantastic games, but for the last 14 years my opinion is clear about one thing, the strongest experience i got from a video game, was here with Deus Ex and ifNo words can do this masterpiece a justice, so I will put it simply: Deus Ex is the best game ever made. I'm playing games for the last 25 years, I played hundreds, if not thousands of titles and I came across many masterpieces and fantastic games, but for the last 14 years my opinion is clear about one thing, the strongest experience i got from a video game, was here with Deus Ex and if there ever was a game that should be considered "the best of them all", it's Deus Ex. The Story, the atmosphere, gameplay, level design it's all out of this world, it's like this game is something more than just a game, it's something that cannot be expressed in words, you must play this. Your life is not fulfilled if you haven't played Deus Ex. It's that simple. The soundtrack by Alexander Brandon, omg, that music, I love it to death, Hong Kong theme playing in the background while writing this review Expand
  44. Dec 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Combining several games such as System Shock, Half-Life and the Matrix, you create one of the best FPS/RPG hybrid games of all time. Although add-ons enhance this game with better textures and bug fixes, the overall game is very awesome combined with a balance of good sound, story and the environment. Only drawbacks are the chunky dialogue and buggy gaming performance (which did not work well on Windows 7). Expand
  45. Oct 16, 2010
    I have spent many hours, days and weeks playing this. Excellent storyline and atmosphere, many ways how to play it - with a rocket launcher or hidden in shadows, just how you like it.
  46. Sep 28, 2011
    Except for the graphics which are truly horrible, this is a masterpiece. Pure perfection, all the elements come together and make one of the best and most unique games ever. What really makes it shine is the story, which has many twists and suprises, and always feels very compelling. Games like these aren't made anymore.
  47. Jan 6, 2011
    One of the best games I've played. Too much of action and long levels in the end part, but I guess you can run through it with the correct augmentations, so that isn't necessarily a problem. What I liked most was the plot and the illusory freedom of choice.
  48. Oct 22, 2011
    It is very difficult to pigeonhole this game into a genre and this is probably one of its strongest points. But you don't have to be a fan of any genre to realise that this game is special. Great story, good replayability, interesting special abilities, a good variety of weapons, many different ways to complete missions and a great soundtrack. This game has it all. Even the hero's veryIt is very difficult to pigeonhole this game into a genre and this is probably one of its strongest points. But you don't have to be a fan of any genre to realise that this game is special. Great story, good replayability, interesting special abilities, a good variety of weapons, many different ways to complete missions and a great soundtrack. This game has it all. Even the hero's very monotonous voice is strangely compelling. Fantastic entertainment on many levels. The only thing that I can criticise it for is the pathetic attempts at foreign accents of which the Australian variety was particularly atrocious. But still, this is a must play for any gamer, any gamer at all. Expand
  49. Mar 23, 2012
    I can see why it's very well praised: it's a very good shoter with few rpg elements and it actually gives you many choices and ways to play the game; add also a very good story behind it, with some huge places to explore too, and you get Deus ex....but I still wouldn't suggest this game for everyone. Let me clear this: I enjoyed it, I loved it to the end, but It has some huge problemsI can see why it's very well praised: it's a very good shoter with few rpg elements and it actually gives you many choices and ways to play the game; add also a very good story behind it, with some huge places to explore too, and you get Deus ex....but I still wouldn't suggest this game for everyone. Let me clear this: I enjoyed it, I loved it to the end, but It has some huge problems that makes this game very"old:I hated how the game is based on "Trial & Error", which will make you destroy the autosave button in order to finish a mission. Yes the AI is buggy, but sometimes they are just too strong: they were able to see me, from the other side of the map, hiding in pure darkness and down below a street...WOW, buggy AI right? It might be buggy, but sometimes they could see me (and HEAR even while sneaking) too well. And this might be nitpicking, but I would have loved a map of the area: they are HUGE and it's very hard to see where you have to go without a map, making you lose the way. Ok, the rant is over: I give it a 8 mainly because it IS good, but to me it's just aged: stealth games have evolved for the better and this game, even though created a standard for stealth shooters, has basically lost it's innovation: give it a try though if you can surpass the flaws and, in general, if you don't agree with me. Expand
  50. Oct 13, 2011
    This is my favorite game of all time. I must have played this all the way through at least 5 times. There are multiple endings, and usually 3-4 ways to do everything.
    This game is not easy, which may be why some people are giving it negative reviews - if you are a brainless 12 year old who only likes FPS games, you will probably be too dumb to complete this game.
    If, however, you know
    If, however, you know what a quality game is - you will love this title.
    It is very old at this point, however, so you should go pick up the new Deus Ex title - Human Revolution. It is also excellent.
  51. Aug 17, 2011
    Despite being part stealth, part shooter and part rpg, it actually manages to transcend any sort of pigeon hole and becomes a genre unto itself. And what an astounding one it is too. Very good combat, a nice variety of enemies and a great selection of weapon choices making real changes to the feel of gameplay sum up the fighting, both ranged and melee. The stealth is a challenge whichDespite being part stealth, part shooter and part rpg, it actually manages to transcend any sort of pigeon hole and becomes a genre unto itself. And what an astounding one it is too. Very good combat, a nice variety of enemies and a great selection of weapon choices making real changes to the feel of gameplay sum up the fighting, both ranged and melee. The stealth is a challenge which requires genuine care and thought but provides great satisfaction when successful. The rpg elements and skills/augmentations allow you to tailor your character in a way that is very rewarding and allows for several playthroughs that give a different feel.

Finally, these elements are bound tightly together by an amazing story that includes many memorable moments and wonderfully created characters, locations and situations. Easily one of the greatest games of all time and my personal favourite.
  52. Jan 13, 2014
    The very definition of a good PC game. Good story,good atmosphere, good writing, good characters, good and diverse gameplay, multiple solutions to problems, game reacts to your decisions. There is a reason DE is in top 10 on almost every all time lists.
  53. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    The first level is definitely the hardest, but once you get past Liberty Island the game becomes purely enjoyable. The weapons (especially the sniper rifle) are ridiculously fun to play around with, and once they're completely upgraded nothing can beat them. There's also the special character customization system with augmentations that give your character certain abilities depending onThe first level is definitely the hardest, but once you get past Liberty Island the game becomes purely enjoyable. The weapons (especially the sniper rifle) are ridiculously fun to play around with, and once they're completely upgraded nothing can beat them. There's also the special character customization system with augmentations that give your character certain abilities depending on your style of play. Overall, it's not the best FPS, but it's pretty damn good. Expand
  54. Oct 13, 2012
    I didn't get it the first time I played back in '00, I was used to FPS and tried to gun my way through all the levels and found it too difficult. Well, thanks to steam I installed it and played it all the way through the non lethal way only having to kill one player...it was a blast. This game is so immersive and has such an amazing story...I love the part where you are having aI didn't get it the first time I played back in '00, I was used to FPS and tried to gun my way through all the levels and found it too difficult. Well, thanks to steam I installed it and played it all the way through the non lethal way only having to kill one player...it was a blast. This game is so immersive and has such an amazing story...I love the part where you are having a philosophical conversation with the sentient A.I., really great stuff. Up there in my top 5 greatest games. Expand
  55. Mar 30, 2012
    The story is a very well written amalgamation of every paranoid conspiracy of the last five decades, set in a not too distant or unrecognisable future. You are given the chance to mould and guide your hero from humble bureacratic beginnings to a place in the annals of human history. Give Manderley a punch from me on your way up.

The game is a seamless melding of FPS and RPG. A clever

The game is a seamless melding of FPS and RPG. A clever twist lets you augment your character with bionic abilities, which can be found in canisters while exploring the game. Most upgrades grant one physiological ability and lock out another permanently, but the detailed inventory and character information pages let you browse the upgrades and plan ahead.

The experience based skills system lets you can choose how well you can use items and weapons, if at all. For example, if you haven't put points into rocket launchers, there are subtler methods of bypassing security systems: lockpicking, electronics and computer hacking. Packrats rejoice, this leads to a diverse array of item pickups: credit chits containing digitised money, personal organisers with codes and passwords, biological modification canisters, modification packs for weapons (capacities, fire rates, silencers, etc), lockpicks, multimeters, food or medkits for healing and even chapters from an in-game book. Usually, at least once per level, you'll get a chance to buy items from a black market trader or use your information to rummage through hidden or locked stockpiles.

Though the graphical models may look dated, all of these features create a rich gameplay experience that, in my opinion, hasn't yet been surpassed in this genre.
  56. Aug 31, 2011
    This has got to be one of the best games ever made, the storyline just drags you in the charicters are deep and fit well, the shooting system and inventory are very similar to the first game but more polished. I only hope they expand this and make another game. The inventory holds just enough equipment to make you have to think what you need rather than what you want. Like any deus exThis has got to be one of the best games ever made, the storyline just drags you in the charicters are deep and fit well, the shooting system and inventory are very similar to the first game but more polished. I only hope they expand this and make another game. The inventory holds just enough equipment to make you have to think what you need rather than what you want. Like any deus ex game there are many vents to crawl through and plenty of places to pick suckers off at a distance with a sniper rifle... you know what they say "you can run but you'll only die tired" the charicters are awsome and i particualry liked Eliza cassan. Come on with the next deus ex game! Expand
  57. Oct 1, 2011
    One of my favourite games. Utterly absorbing. Innovative for its time, it blended genres and seemed to take the best of FPS, stealth and the essence of RPG.
  58. Nov 13, 2013
    A classic PC title and one of my favorite games of all time. While Deus Ex: Human Revolution was still a great game, the original Deus Ex has a greater sense of dread and larger number of conspiracies as well as catchy music and memorable, sometimes funny, dialogue.
  59. Nov 7, 2011
    I can's say much, just that Deus Ex is the best game I have ever played, I can go on and on giving reasons to justify that but I don't need to waste my time with that since all the other people's reviews are the same thing.
  60. Oct 31, 2013
    Believe the hype. There's a reason this gets on every "best of" list. Looks long in the tooth now but nobody has ever come close to the perfect balance of stealth, moral choices about life and death and plain action as this game.
  61. Nov 8, 2011
    One of the greatest games I could have laid my hands on in my entire life. As stated by many other reviewers, I will admit that the game has a very frustrating and slow aiming system, but that doesn't bring down the game by very much at all. The story is conveyed in a genius way, most of the plot twists I did not see coming and the story is so interchangeable, you could play the game overOne of the greatest games I could have laid my hands on in my entire life. As stated by many other reviewers, I will admit that the game has a very frustrating and slow aiming system, but that doesn't bring down the game by very much at all. The story is conveyed in a genius way, most of the plot twists I did not see coming and the story is so interchangeable, you could play the game over and over, and not play it exactly the same as you did the time before. The inventory system isn't as annoying as many other people think, but the game should have automatically moved the items out of the way if you had enough room anyhow. The graphics look outdated quite a bit but the game makes up for it in the way the story is conveyed and how the plot unfolds. Overall great game, while it has it's faults, the game makes up for them in different areas of the game. I'd recommend it for everyone. Expand
  62. Nov 10, 2011
    Deus Ex - a title that has a huge cult following. Although I don't fully understand all the reasons that led to it, my review of this game is still going to be positive. / The fact is, the game's graphics were outdated even at the time of its creation. But surprisingly enough, this fact didn't bother me much during singleplayer experience (also, I am not exactly into top-notch graphics atDeus Ex - a title that has a huge cult following. Although I don't fully understand all the reasons that led to it, my review of this game is still going to be positive. / The fact is, the game's graphics were outdated even at the time of its creation. But surprisingly enough, this fact didn't bother me much during singleplayer experience (also, I am not exactly into top-notch graphics at all times, I still like retro games if there are other aspects that I like about those titles). The multiplayer, on the other hand, oh yeah, that is a slightly different story... I remember that it was hard to keep a straight face in situations like when your own teammates got poisoned by gas grenades... / One of the main strengths of the game are the possibilities that lie in front of you. Stealth vs. action is divided into a lot of smaller options you can choose from. You can kill everything in sight, stun your opponents or put them to sleep, avoid them altogether by choosing alternative paths, use not only weapons and tools, but also augmentations to your advantage... These elements really made the game fun to play. Nothing forced you into choosing one particular solution (e.g. stealth is better than action - make love, not war - DX: HR, anyone?), so you could enjoy the game the way you wanted to, without any penalties (at least I don't remember any). / The augmentation system is generally a nice idea and I like the fact that you have to choose between several upgrades to determine which one you want to install on that particular body part. Some augmentations however I found kind of obsolete and I think I didn't use them once during the whole game. You can also invest points into various skills to help you further during the gameplay (weapon use, hacking, lockpicking and... swimming - OMG, that was kind of obsolete too). And yeah, the hacking and lockpicking are very primitive, on the other hand, if I have to choose between tiresome minigames and beeping multitools, I pick the second option, thankyouverymuch. / The game is definitely... long. I dropped out twice (once in the ship area and once in France), but returned after several months and I am glad I did. There are other titles that deserved to be dropped instantly and I didn't do it (*facepalm*). I liked the fact there were numerous locations and environments to be visited and explored, although some of them were more boring than the others. But, the longer the gameplay is, the better, sure - phenomenon of a 3 hour-long games that cost 40 bucks is NOT COOL. / Deus Ex is generally praised because of its storyline, which is captivating and original at first. After some time, it gets a little confusing and I had the feeling as if someone wanted to incorporate all the existing "conspiracy theories" he could find into the game's story. Maybe less would be more in this case. But not a huge issue for me. / Also, the music definitely deserves mentioning, there are a LOT of tracks, each location has a music of its own, so a huge amount of work went into this. I think it was worth it and the soundtrack is a nice bonus to the overall experience. Voice-acting is not so good, but for me, it provided an amusing aspect, so thanks for that. / I must add that sometimes I felt like I was playing some Star Wars game because of that nanosword, which was strangely addictive. At first, it was good against greasels, then I was overpowered by the dark side and I used it against almost everything, eh.... / The ending (one of the few that are available) wasn't disappointing and the game offers great re-playability not only to experience other endings, but to try different things and approaches. / I'm not giving this game a full score like most of the people I see on the last page - it's not the best game I ever played and it has its flaws. But I admit it's one of the better ones (not in the term of graphics, of course) and it can be seen that a lot of effort was put into making some elements as good as possible, which is something that deserves recognition. Unfortunately, nowadays I don't see many modern titles with a "heart", and Deus Ex definitely is a game that has a "nanoheart", sometimes beating slowly, sometimes rapidly, always being cold, but yes, it's a heart nonetheless. Expand
  63. Nov 20, 2011
    Utterly brilliant.

You are given such freedom and the immersion is so great that you can really engage with this game in a way few others manage. A masterpiece of game design and has yet to be bettered in the action/RPG genre.
  64. Nov 22, 2011
    This is one of the best games I've ever played. I never played it until 2011, but after playing the 3rd installment of the series (which I enjoyed a lot), I decided to try out the earliest version. I was not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, I enjoyed this game even more than the 3rd one. I'm usually not a fan of FPS games, I've tried many but their has only been a couple that IThis is one of the best games I've ever played. I never played it until 2011, but after playing the 3rd installment of the series (which I enjoyed a lot), I decided to try out the earliest version. I was not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, I enjoyed this game even more than the 3rd one. I'm usually not a fan of FPS games, I've tried many but their has only been a couple that I liked enough to sink into for more than an hour or two. But this is a FPS with a well written and thought out story, and the way the FPS and RPG elements are intertwined is done perfectly. There's enough side missions to get you exploring all the nooks and crannies of the well designed world, and the story forks off in several directions depending on your decisions, allowing for you to play a few areas several times to see what happens in each story line. There is a lot of awesome gaming in this game. Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2014
    While Deus Ex graphics now look very dated, to date no FPS can hold a candle to the depth of Deus Ex's RPG & character customisation, gameplay and story. Deus Ex gives you real options and meaningful choice's that leads to more choices & options and the deep character customisation allows for the player to play to the style s/he likes, tasks and mission can be completed multiple ways andWhile Deus Ex graphics now look very dated, to date no FPS can hold a candle to the depth of Deus Ex's RPG & character customisation, gameplay and story. Deus Ex gives you real options and meaningful choice's that leads to more choices & options and the deep character customisation allows for the player to play to the style s/he likes, tasks and mission can be completed multiple ways and its all that which makes Deus Ex a Masterpiece. Expand
  66. Dec 23, 2011
    Ignore the limited number of negative reviews surrounding this game. This has to be one of the greatest RPG video games to ever exist. Sure, the graphics look shoddy nowadays, but the characters, storyline and gameplay still hold up today. It will keep you hooked from start to finish, and lets you play however you want.
  67. Feb 10, 2014
    A lot of people claim that Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is a better game than it's predecessor. And that may be true, in some ways. HR certainly has prettier graphics, among other improvements. But it's not the same. Deus Ex was an RPG shooter. The sequel is a shooter with RPG elements that follows the cookie-cutter plan of every cover based shooter game on the market. Cover based shooting,A lot of people claim that Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is a better game than it's predecessor. And that may be true, in some ways. HR certainly has prettier graphics, among other improvements. But it's not the same. Deus Ex was an RPG shooter. The sequel is a shooter with RPG elements that follows the cookie-cutter plan of every cover based shooter game on the market. Cover based shooting, magically regenerating health, XP based upgrade system, not to mention the fact that based on the controls, it's a console game first and a PC game second. Original game may not stand up in terms of prettiness, but it has a better story, more entertaining gameplay, good music, endings that don't consist entirely of stock footage with a vague monologue laid over...

Honestly, if this game were to be redone today, it would probably be the best thing ever. It's got plenty of fun to it, plenty of runtime (Story takes forever to push through, but it's not a drag) detailed, fleshed out world, interesting characters, and a matrixey feeling that you're not just playing a game, you're playing art.

I guess that's the biggest part. Human Revolutions is a game. The original Deus Ex is a game too, but it's also art, it's also a story, it's also a whole world to explore.
  68. Feb 1, 2012
    If you are after a great rpg, please buy this game. It's only problem is graphs and the few glitches but why should this stop someone from getting immersed in possibly the best story line ever, along with its great mechanics (you can walk around with no arms and legs for gods sake!). Please ignore the people that got mad at level one because they cannot complete it, this game requires timeIf you are after a great rpg, please buy this game. It's only problem is graphs and the few glitches but why should this stop someone from getting immersed in possibly the best story line ever, along with its great mechanics (you can walk around with no arms and legs for gods sake!). Please ignore the people that got mad at level one because they cannot complete it, this game requires time and skill as should any game. please buy this game. Expand
  69. Oct 26, 2012
    Deus Ex is a game that proves, even with it's flaws, that it can still be the greatest game of all time. I played this game in 2012, and am currently undergoing my second playthrough. And by god, it is amazing. The freedom of choice, the stellar map design, the augs, the story...... Even with it's flaws, such as the sometimes stupid AI or the strange aiming system, the rest of the contentDeus Ex is a game that proves, even with it's flaws, that it can still be the greatest game of all time. I played this game in 2012, and am currently undergoing my second playthrough. And by god, it is amazing. The freedom of choice, the stellar map design, the augs, the story...... Even with it's flaws, such as the sometimes stupid AI or the strange aiming system, the rest of the content by FAR makes up for it. Expand
  70. Feb 24, 2012
    How impressive it has to be a monument for quality in game development, and how awful it is, that no game has beaten the complexity, non linearity and depth of this game for over 11 years. Deus Ex is perfect, and I wish that every serious game developer takes it as one.

Eh, I wish there were more games like this.
  71. Mar 12, 2012
    So... I have read opinions like "this game is outdated, horrible graphics etc"
    I found DX after playing Human revolution... (a few months ago)
    So... I have read opinions like "this game is outdated, horrible graphics etc"
    I found DX after playing Human revolution... (a few months ago)
    Yeah, at first it was weird jump into those old graphics and so on... But after about six hours game-play I must say I was living JC Denton's role in the game, I mean... Every choice, every dialogue, even the choice of your own gameplay. Yes, there wasn't those dramatic cutscenes, but DX made me more excited than most of the new games i have played
    Also atmosphere, soundtrack just perfectly fits to the environment. So what I was playing only new games with those fancy graphics, I still can see how beautiful this game is. Some people just don't understand this game'. So after all those gaming years I found my best game that changed whole gaming experience for me... It's sad to see how people can be ignorant by saying this game "sucks"just because they don't understand it and it's not nostalgic or something, like I said, I found it in 2011. Also new generation of gamers are just graphic whores, at least you could your subjective ignorant opinion without any real argument keep for yourself. Oh well, I'm glad I found this game
  72. Dec 16, 2013
    I'll give this game an honest review. It's not a masterpiece. It's not unplayably bad like the vast minority says, its doesn't hold up well to modern day like the vast majority says.

Deus Ex is a FPS/RPG that gives the player an incredible amount of choice. It's also a very ugly game nowadays with no charm in its art style. I don't factor that in because I played with the two graphics overhaul mods so I got fairly good textures and model quality without deviating from the original art style at all. The main problem of the art style is its going for realistic, and as we will discover with GEN 7 in a few years, that art style holds up the worst as time passes.

The story is fairly decent, with a interesting plot about the illuminati in a cyberpunk setting. If you've played the more modern prequel Human Revolution, you'll see about the same level of storytelling quality here. However, it lacks a convincing atmosphere that saved HR from being incredibly tedious due to how slow the plot progresses in both of these games. It also lacks the length of HR. While HR is about 20 hours, Deus Ex 1 I beat in 9 and a half hours doing quite a bit of exploration.

Then you got the gameplay. I'll give it to them devs, theres usually quite a lot of options. However, the belief there is tons more then Human Revolution is actually in most cases. Lets take its famous first level liberty island for example. You have a wide explorable (and the least interestingly designed I might add) area surrounding a destroyed Statue of Liberty. You can (and should) do some exploration around and gather supplies, then you got a sub objective. In the end, there is really only four ways to do this map after exploring. 1. Charge up the front guns blazing. 2. Sneak up the front. 3. Sneak up the back by stacking boxs to climb the shipping containers, or do the sub objective which gives you a convenient path up out of the building. Any remaining solutions are silly solutions which just waste time. Most areas are about as varied or less, and might include a diplomatic solution. Human Revolution, mocked for its lack of variety, almost always gave you two out of the way sneaky solutions, made sneaking straight through possible (note I NEVER used cloak in either games) as well as the guns glazing approach. The difference is that Human Revolution rarely had extremely bland similar areas connected to realistic but overly complex venting systems like Deus Ex which actually had nothing to the game. Melee weapons are also strange. At the start, you got about a 50% chance of a baton (the best non-lethal, and third best melee weapon over all) from knocking the guard out if you have chosen melee as your start upgrade. It will literally take about 7 hours before you get another upgrade due to early game low skill point gain, and then you will have the dragon sword. The only melee weapon able to fight high end enemies really at all without master level and even then its a stretch. Seeing as the tranq darts are literally useless, the game intentionally makes beating the game without killing nigh impossible after the first half of the game.

People also say the game has a real sense of challenge compared to HR. This is true...until you get the dragon sword, (and this happens in the main quest) which is so incredibly overpowered that the only thing that can match it is explosive weapons, further limiting variety. HR didn't have this problem. (well if you never used typhoon or cloak like me it didn't).

The ending is also incredibly unsatisfying. It presents three options ignoring all previous actions, and it fails at what HR did by making one significantly better for humanity then the rest (The Helios ending). HR I spent 30 minutes just sitting trying to figure out what ending to choose. I spent 3 seconds in Deus Ex 1. The endings are then just as open as Deus Ex: HR, except boring and really don't feel like endings like HR did.

The soundtrack is so-so. Half the tracks are immediately forgettable, half the tracks are fantastic. Sadly, the ending music was the worst song in the soundtrack, making an already unsatisfying ending even worse. This is something HR did extremely well.

Basically, what I'm saying is, while Deus Ex one has a more in-depth albeit more awkward combat system, Deus Ex: Human Revolution was just a plain more enjoyable game then the original and has an incredible atmosphere completely lacking in the original, and you should buy THAT game if you want to fulfill your cyberpunk Illuminati capitalist corruption story need, because while I enjoyed my time with Deus Ex, there is many other games I could have been playing that I would have enjoyed so so much more.
  73. Mar 30, 2012
    Like a lot of people said, this game got many things wrong. Lousy accents for foreign characters, terrible graphics, conspiracy plot that borders on the ridiculous and of course not being able to hit a headshot on a guy even if you're pointing the gun a few centimetres behind him. But no matter what, you can't help getting pulled into the game by its wonderful ability to show how muchLike a lot of people said, this game got many things wrong. Lousy accents for foreign characters, terrible graphics, conspiracy plot that borders on the ridiculous and of course not being able to hit a headshot on a guy even if you're pointing the gun a few centimetres behind him. But no matter what, you can't help getting pulled into the game by its wonderful ability to show how much your decisions matter. Small decisions can go a long way in the game's plot and its very interesting to see it unfold at a later point of the story. And then, there's the atmosphere and setting which is probably the best part of the game, you can really feel the bleak cyberpunk future where people are struggling to survive. Not only that, the levels in Hong Kong and Paris are perhaps the best parts of the game even though it should be obvious to some that it looks nothing like the real thing. Characterization is also interesting, even though the hero JC Denton is blunt and monotoned most of the time. Still, the dialogue is rather humorous if not corny. It really baffles me why no game has come close to achieving the feel Deus Ex created (even the highly praised Mass Effect series). The only beef I have with this game is that its hard to get it working right on my laptop. Expand
  74. Mar 20, 2013
    Outstading, truely ahead of it's time, despite the combat system being extremely annoying.
  75. Feb 26, 2014
    Magical game back in the day, but this has not aged well at all even with mods like new vision can't save it. Its just not that a good game or fun to play anymore by todays standards, which is a shame.
  76. May 13, 2012
    Deus Ex comes within sight of perfection, and I say this having played it for the first time in 2011. (So don't accuse me of being nostalgic, jerks!) It is filled with multitudes of interesting gameplay ideas yet never loses focus. This game would never be caught dead initiating cutscene combat sequences to carry out some contrived event (as Human Revolution will). Simply the best story IDeus Ex comes within sight of perfection, and I say this having played it for the first time in 2011. (So don't accuse me of being nostalgic, jerks!) It is filled with multitudes of interesting gameplay ideas yet never loses focus. This game would never be caught dead initiating cutscene combat sequences to carry out some contrived event (as Human Revolution will). Simply the best story I have ever seen in a video game combined with a deep gameplay system. A word of warning though: the targeting system is very clunky and caused me to despise the game when I first attempted it. This is responsible for most of the negative reviews. Expand
  77. May 19, 2012
    Another of the best games I think, have been made for PC. He is the founder of a new genre that blends strategy, role and fps. There are many ways to progress through the game, many end is anything but linear, that makes it unique and special. A work of art.
  78. Oct 29, 2013
    Changing my rating, as I quite like this game now. I've been playing for like 8 hours today. Once you get past the voice acting and realise to play it the obvious way (get pistols and melee with technical skills, play on easy, stealth) its quite enjoyable.
  79. Mar 4, 2014
    Everything about this game has already been said by the other 10pt raters, but this game deserves yet another worshipping. I´m into video games since 1990 and Deus Ex is one of only a handful of games I´d give ten points. And it would be the only one I´d give 11, if possible.
    Every other FP RPG/Story-Shooter/Adventure is judged by me to the standart set by DeusEx, and none came near to it yet. And I fear, nothing will ever come...
    The Plot is not a blockbuster, but the way it is arranged and experienced, combined with the artfully accomplished atmosphere, makes me wish I´ve never played this game before. Just to experience the immersive feeling again I had when playing the first time back in 2000.
    The gameplay isn´t easy at the beginning and since you don´t know the evolution of your char (playing the first time), the motivation curve rises low through the first levels (or maps). But as another Reviewer said: this game will make you think about calling in sick right in the middle of your day not at home, just to get back to your screen.
    What really, really is astonishing are the ways you can choose to build up your char. And the way that´s chosen will affect the gameplay massively. Indestructible heavy weapon bomber? No problem. Sneaky, roof climbing Hacker? No Problem. It´s like playing two different games wich happen to have the same storyline. More or less, Story developement depends on the choices made at critical moments.
    Okay, so far we´re at a level of quality also arrived by Fallout 3, too. More or less, let´s not be nitpickers.
    The topping on this tasty cake of video games are the side quests, side tracks and the sheer endless amount of info available that´s not related to the main story. Newspapers, books, Notepads (sort of), that make the in-game world so lively and realistic... just like a very, very good book you can´t put aside, even if it´s 3am and you have to get up early.
    Also, I love the interface. It´s more than versatile. You can make notes by yourself and you can type in keys and passwords with your keyboard. And you need to, if you don´t have the abilities to hack`em! Because even if you already "know" a key to a door, you´ll have to look it up in your notepad and type it in by yourself.
    And it never gets boring. No repetitive situations like in newer games (DE3 or even Skyrim), no linear path through the levels, no stereotypes.

To everyone calling himself a "gamer" who didn´t play it yet (especially the youngsters): ignore the old graphics and experience this work of art!
  80. Dec 6, 2012
    Deus Ex was another nostalgic title that is one of my all time favorites and I
  81. Jul 26, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. If you haven't played it, you must.
    The graphics don't look as impressive now as they were in 1999, but the gameplay still rocks. The story is clever and very interesting. Just make sure you click on all NPCs a few times to let they say all their phrases. I must admit I haven't seen comparable games in all these years..
  82. Nov 18, 2012
    This is, without a doubt, the best game ever made. If I had to narrow down why that is so, it would probably be its impeccable execution. Ignoring the graphics of the time and the limitations of the Unreal engine, this game is near flawless. People sometimes criticize the voice acting, but I think it ads flavor to the whole experience. What would DX be without "What a shame." and "Oh myThis is, without a doubt, the best game ever made. If I had to narrow down why that is so, it would probably be its impeccable execution. Ignoring the graphics of the time and the limitations of the Unreal engine, this game is near flawless. People sometimes criticize the voice acting, but I think it ads flavor to the whole experience. What would DX be without "What a shame." and "Oh my god, JC, a bomb!", right?
    The narrative flows seamlessly, the characters (even the minor ones) are beautifully fleshed out and the game play is rewarding and fits with the story. Oh, and everything makes sense. Don't you just hate those games that make you go WTF?? Well, that never happens with this game.

Deus Ex discourages shooting stuff and instead encourages alternative, preferably non-confrontational ways of completing missions. You have a multitude of ways to avoid fights, and a multitude of ways to dispatch enemies without having to shoot them. Characters even scold you for shooting stuff up. You're not compelled in any way to go in guns blazing, unless you specifically want to. So why this game is being judged as an FPS is completely beyond me.
  83. Dec 19, 2012
    Among the best games ever made. There's just so many ways to play and complete your tasks: you can avoid killing, try silent killing or just shoot everything standing in your way. The storyline is superb, I could have never imagined that video games could be philosophical.
  84. Jan 5, 2013
    I had never heard of Deus Ex until I watched a review of the original game on Youtube. Finally, out of pure curiosity I bought the game on Amazon. I cut to the chase . This is the single greatest game I have ever played in my life, from the sprawling open levels to the intriguing story line. Sure the game is a graphical Quasimodo by today's standards but the depth in gameplay balanceI had never heard of Deus Ex until I watched a review of the original game on Youtube. Finally, out of pure curiosity I bought the game on Amazon. I cut to the chase . This is the single greatest game I have ever played in my life, from the sprawling open levels to the intriguing story line. Sure the game is a graphical Quasimodo by today's standards but the depth in gameplay balance that out. I never thought that the RPG and the FPS genre would ever be able to meld so seemlessly, but they did and for that I award Deus Ex a 10 out of 10. A true masterpiece. Expand
  85. Apr 22, 2014
    Hailed as the best game of all time for many reasons.

Deus Ex attained an average of 90% and a 90/100 (universal acclaim) in both the MobyGames and Metacritic. En.wikipedia.org Its been given over 40 "Game of the Year" and/or "Best in Class" awards in many distinguished magazines and websites. It set the standard in FPS/RPG genre with varied gameplay, allowing players to choose
    Hailed as the best game of all time for many reasons.

En.wikipedia.org

It set the standard in FPS/RPG genre with varied gameplay, allowing players to choose how they want to tackle any situation, expansive environments (multi-paths, & multi-solutions which is still ground breaking in terms of giving players freedom), high level of player customization to allow you to excel in different fields, emphasis on exploration (aided by large environments & many useful items to find), ambitious and layered storyline, interactive storytelling, dialogue that references philosophy, politics, terrorism, ailments of mankinds, a government by the people, the question of the self, and the future of mankind ect.. & lots of readables to complement this (datacubes, books, emails ect), its high replayability, memorable sound track.
    In other words: a winning formula.

Its sad to see that the common gamer of the new generation most likely wouldn't know about this game. Younger people aren't very literate when it comes to older things but it doesn't magically make all these websites & reviews & all those fans that played Deus Ex disappear... & it certainty doesn't stop the old Deus Ex from being put on shelves for a bargain price again and again. Its good to see people who pre-ordered Deus Ex Human Revolution got the original Deus Ex for free.

Theres mods being released to this day: like Project 2027, New Vision (which enhances about 75% of the games textures) so bad graphics isn't an excuse not to play it (though the animations still look outdated but no big deal).

If FPS/RPG's held this game as a standard, we would see great things.

We need something to set high standards, otherwise how can we progres
  86. Jan 20, 2013
    A hybrid of FPS and RPG, Deus Ex can easily be considered a cult-classic amongst story-driven games. Though the graphics of the game are rather dated, it should not matter in the long run because the gameplay is truly the heart of the game. The score of the game is so memorable that you will be humming these tunes even at the very end of the game.
  87. egn
    Mar 12, 2013
    What can be said that hasn't already been said about this game? It's...really, it's one of those very rare games that just nails it. It's really basically perfect. Ultimate fun, ultimate immersion, and an ultimate experience. This is one of the first RPGs I ever played where you have a choice, where the way you play actually affects the outcome of the game. In some ways I think a lotWhat can be said that hasn't already been said about this game? It's...really, it's one of those very rare games that just nails it. It's really basically perfect. Ultimate fun, ultimate immersion, and an ultimate experience. This is one of the first RPGs I ever played where you have a choice, where the way you play actually affects the outcome of the game. In some ways I think a lot of games after this have tried to emulate that format, because it was so amazing in this game. If you haven't tried it yet, go for it. Really, get it. Expand
  88. Mar 17, 2013
    this game symbolises my childhood, its the best game ever.. so many memories attached. i used to spend a lot of time playing this one. it is a complete game with a lot of action.
  89. May 25, 2013
    Deus Ex has got to be one of the greatest games of all time. Yeah, some may complain that the graphics are horrible but, the game was released in 2000, and at that time, these graphics were high quality. This game is still regarded as the greatest game of all time, and I agree with that statement.
  90. May 10, 2014
    A good game for its time. Plenty of customization (that actually matters), good stealth mechanics and a pretty interesting storyline. I would have given this a 10 but I remember controlling your character was a little clunky and at first it irritated me, although I did get used to it and had a blast with this game.
  91. May 23, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Story is excellent, the graphics may not be the latest today (there are mods to improve it) but the game did come out over a decade ago. you can get it on gog and it runs on new systems with no problems.
  92. Jul 14, 2013
    this game is without a doubt the single greatest game ever made in the history of games. no matter what it costs if you have not played it go out and buy it right now. it is well worth it.
  93. May 14, 2013
    i´ve just ended playing this game and no matter how bad graphics and visual effects has, it still being better than any call of duty game. it´s just awesome one of the best games i´ve ever played
  94. May 30, 2013
    This might sound cliched, but this is one of the best games ever made. Everything works, the story, the atmosphere, the great RPG style gameplay. Look past the dated ugly graphics, and the sometimes lazy AI and you have a game that still 13 yrs later is still relavant, and worthwhile.
  95. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is brilliant, although many people have said that it hasn't aged well and isn't all that good anymore, I didn't play this game until about 2011 and it was still by far the best game I have ever played.

Deus ex has a brilliant story and the gameplay is unbeatable, the inventory in this game is brilliant and I don't understand why an inventory like that is very rarely featured in a game nor do I understand how a health bar and automatic health regeneration is better than being able to break your arms and legs and having to find a medkit or medbot to repair them.

The skills system is great as you can choose whether you will prefer pistols over machine guns, be great with lockpicks or anything else that can possibly benefit you in missions. Although I didn't find much use for any of the augmentations other than the health regeneration one or the one which makes you invisible to robots it was still good that we had the option to complete missions in many unique ways.
  96. Jul 25, 2013
    Deus Ex is a revolutionary game, an RPG with FPS, Stealth, and Adventure elements which would combine open-ended non-linear gameplay scenarios with a gripping, if at some times ridiculous conspiracy-laden story. But while the foreigners may have horrible voice acting, the graphics haven't aged well, and the story can occasionally get ridiculous, the quality and influence of Deus Ex isDeus Ex is a revolutionary game, an RPG with FPS, Stealth, and Adventure elements which would combine open-ended non-linear gameplay scenarios with a gripping, if at some times ridiculous conspiracy-laden story. But while the foreigners may have horrible voice acting, the graphics haven't aged well, and the story can occasionally get ridiculous, the quality and influence of Deus Ex is immeasurable. Deus Ex may as well be a game you are required to play at this point. Expand
  97. Aug 22, 2013
    I wish I had never played this game so I could play it through now and relive the experience. Compared to recent games it doesn't stand a chance, but if you can look past the graphics and the old game engine (which were both fine when it was released) then a great and immerse story is waiting for you. This game is simply the best FPS-RPG adventure ever made.If you haven't played it yet,I wish I had never played this game so I could play it through now and relive the experience. Compared to recent games it doesn't stand a chance, but if you can look past the graphics and the old game engine (which were both fine when it was released) then a great and immerse story is waiting for you. This game is simply the best FPS-RPG adventure ever made.If you haven't played it yet, get on it. You won't be sorry. Expand
  98. Aug 30, 2013
    It's for sure one of the best FPS/RPG game but it's not perfect. I don't know why but I really don't like a soundtrack of this game. In a few moments it just doesn't fit to this game. I can't explain better because of my weak English I am sorry. The rest is great. We can pass every level/mission in a different way (because there are so many different ways). Exploring yes that's why youIt's for sure one of the best FPS/RPG game but it's not perfect. I don't know why but I really don't like a soundtrack of this game. In a few moments it just doesn't fit to this game. I can't explain better because of my weak English I am sorry. The rest is great. We can pass every level/mission in a different way (because there are so many different ways). Exploring yes that's why you should play this game. Also the story, atmosphere and characters makes this game so good. Expand
  99. Sep 14, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. The story is compelling and your actions have consequences. There is always a different way to complete an objective and the game is challenging on harder difficulty especially if you challenge yourself by making it so you cant kill anyone. Overall the game is pure gold.

Moody and atmospheric, compelling and addictive, this is first person gaming in grown-up form, and it truly is magnificent.
  2. Oftentimes brilliant, sometimes frustrating, and always riveting, "Deus Ex" could be game-of-the-year material if not for its many glaring flaws.
  3. It is, as a game, everything you could ask for... and it's absolutely a blast to play.