8.6

1. Jul 1, 2011
    If you like action with a lot of flash, then DMC is the perfect series for you, and DMC4 is one of the prettiest and most fun in the series. This was a solid game with an entertaining story, and the art direction has some excellent detail ESPECIALLY in the character models. Console port or no, I'd still recommend a controller for your PC if you want to play this. I'd suggest this game forIf you like action with a lot of flash, then DMC is the perfect series for you, and DMC4 is one of the prettiest and most fun in the series. This was a solid game with an entertaining story, and the art direction has some excellent detail ESPECIALLY in the character models. Console port or no, I'd still recommend a controller for your PC if you want to play this. I'd suggest this game for anyone who likes good ol' arcade action. Expand
  2. Feb 6, 2011
    I hadn't played Devil may cry untill this one ... and damn was it good... i played this game shortly after finishing Darksiders - while i'd compare both titles in very similar ways, Devil May cry's storyline and graphics were in a class of their own. not to mention the audio track and voice acting........... I never thought much of the DMC series... but i thoroughly enjoyed finishing thisI hadn't played Devil may cry untill this one ... and damn was it good... i played this game shortly after finishing Darksiders - while i'd compare both titles in very similar ways, Devil May cry's storyline and graphics were in a class of their own. not to mention the audio track and voice acting........... I never thought much of the DMC series... but i thoroughly enjoyed finishing this game, could not put it down... i used an xbox360 controller for PC to play the game also.... yes there are some annoying things in the game (puzzle) type things etc etc... but compared to darksiders its nothing at all. Get this game for the Storyline alone..... asif the graphics and sound arn't amazing enough. I'd be keen to see this game made into a movie, as I'd watch that too Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    This game is great. Good characters and good story. Very good game-play. demanding boss and the subordinate characters are well prepared. a lot of game-play modes and a long game.
  4. Jul 26, 2012
    The level design is still terrible, but the combat has been seriously ramped up. The skill cap for playing as dante has been blasted clear into space with the ability to swap between all four stances and all of your weapons on the fly. I frequently find myself watching amazing dante players doing incredible things, and wondering how many fingers they have that they can do all theseThe level design is still terrible, but the combat has been seriously ramped up. The skill cap for playing as dante has been blasted clear into space with the ability to swap between all four stances and all of your weapons on the fly. I frequently find myself watching amazing dante players doing incredible things, and wondering how many fingers they have that they can do all these things.
    If dante is too much to handle, nero is the perfect second choice. It's much easier to bring nero to his full potential and still feel awesome about it. There's not as much memorable music in this game (virgil battle 2, how I miss you) and dante only spends half the time being crazy, surrendering part of the spotlight so you can see nero being a whiny **** for the other half. But overall, if you're a fan of incredibly complex combat, over the top action, and cheesy satire that's so good it's almost self-aware, I strongly recommend this game
  5. Dec 20, 2012
    I'm writing this because I've had it with all the "Professional Critic Reviews" ,they're all a bunch of bribed **** ,especially IGN ! This game is simply a master piece .It has one of the most EPIC and beautiful stories told in games I've seen ,the best character writings and designs and astonishing gameplay ,It overwhelms in content and it isn't the longest game ever created but isI'm writing this because I've had it with all the "Professional Critic Reviews" ,they're all a bunch of bribed **** ,especially IGN ! This game is simply a master piece .It has one of the most EPIC and beautiful stories told in games I've seen ,the best character writings and designs and astonishing gameplay ,It overwhelms in content and it isn't the longest game ever created but is definitely one of the games worth every second of your time ,why should somethings like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed have so much glory and this should be so underrated ,sure it has a few repetitive levels but I think it was purposely done that way, so the Story could be told the way it was intended to be .This is simply a mind blower.The Port for PC is simply one of the best Ports I've ever played and it even has more content (Legendary Dark Knight Difficulty and Turbo Mode) .I give this game a 11 out of 10 because it was done with the purpose of being good and not just for making money .I urge you BUY THIS GAME ,it's sold on Steam ,Amazon ,GameStop ,If you want to go all digital like me I recommend Steam otherwise it's basically sold everywhere ,and YES the PC Version is the BEST ! It has some of the BEST 10 out of 10 gameplay ,10 out of 10 story and especially the soundtrack is a 10 out of 10 !!!! Expand
  6. Jan 4, 2013
    Played the old Devil may cry games a long time ago, decided to revisit some good DMC times, i didn't think it would be that good but i was surprised by the awesome storyline/game-play/graphics they really did a good job on this game. i would rate it 9.5/10 but they don't have that option :/ and its too awesome to be 9/10.
  7. Feb 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome, one of the few I have played through to the end. The PC port is awesome although, I wouldn't know if it is better on any other system. As far as game play, I prefer this over DMC3, simply because this one allows you to play as both Nero and Dante, and that when you get to Dante you can switch styles at will. The biggest minus for me was the backtracking. Dante did offer fresh new funny awesomeness, but its still backtracking just the same, the bosses don't change so you can beat them all first go with Dante. Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2011
    This review is made strictly to answer one question: Is this a good PC port? In short, YES.

Contrary to what popular game sites (such as 1UP) says, Devil May Cry 4 was actually ORIGINALLY developed on the PC platform and ported to the PS3 and X360. More importantly, unlike DMC3: SE, all the porting was done in-house, and it shows. Because of its native build on the PC, you'll see options that are reminiscent of PC-only games - ability to play the game in a window, high definition resolution support, antialiasing, aniscoptic filtering, and fine tuning over graphical options such as texture quality and shadow detail.

Mind you, the control scheme almost REQUIRES a controller. This is not because it's a "dumbed down" game, but it is because the DMC series is ALWAYS controller-intensive. It's simply the nature of having an action game where you can do so many things at once. The game UI can be navigated with a keyboard and mouse, but gameplay will be VERY clunky on a keyboard, mainly because of keyboard ghosting issues due to the way the game plays. Just get yourself a controller. Any controller will do, not just an X360 controller.

What's even better about this game is that the requirements aren't that steep either. If you have a PC setup that's 1-5 years old, you'll be able to run this game just fine on a Core2Duo with an 8800GT at near-max settings. The game runs at a smooth 60 fps or better, and it does not suffer from the slow load times of the X360 and PS3 versions.

Plus the PC-only features - Turbo Mode (which many expert DMC4 players use) plus Legendary Dark Knight mode (where dozens and dozens of enemies spawn) are just icing on the cake. This is a PC version of a console game done right. A superior port in a sense, even though this game was originally was developed on a PC platform (despite the fact the PS3 and X360 versions came first).

Basically, if you're worried about the effects of consolitis that has been plaguing games like these, no need to fear. This game will take advantage of what your PC has and allow you to take on the demons with style! Capcom has proven with DMC4 and many of their PC releases after this title that they are more than capable of making PC versions of their console hits that take advantage of what the PC has to offer!
  9. Jan 27, 2013
    The PC version of this game is terrible. With awful graphical issues as well as terrible resolutions and aspect ratios, I never thought that I would say the console versions are superior.
    My review of the console versions follow. Unlike it's incredibly exciting and stylish predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 feels like a boring chore. I'll admit, the combat is incredible... only when you posses the character Dante. Other wise you play as the incredibly uninteresting and unexplained Nero who has your typical hack n' slash move set. With Nero, you can button mash your way through the first sets of levels. Compared to Dante, Nero has a underwhelming move set. Although, unlike Dante, Nero has Devil Bringer. As you can guess, it brings enemies closer to him for some interesting aerial maneuvers, but not enough to keep you interested. As for Dante, this is where the game shines. Luckily, they removed the feature from Devil May Cry 3 in which you are forced into picking one Style for the mission. Now, you can switch instantly with the d-pad, and can pull of some sick combos. Unfortunately, you are only backtracking through Nero's levels, which gets really repetitive. However, this game has some of the best boss battles in the series, as well as the toughest. Berial was interesting, but the best ones were Credo and The Savior. Credo in particular. Sadly, with an awful story line, the game doesn't convey enough emotion for me to care about most of these characters, and the boss battles I'm fighting. While in Devil May Cry 3, I actually felt like the dual between Dante and Vergil was important, and I wanted to beat it. The puzzles in this game are very simple, and feel like pointless padding. Especially since the focus is combat, where this game succeeds. I'd talk about the story, but it's virtually non-existent. Overall, it's a very underwhelming title in the series, considering that it only gets somewhat good half way through the game. Not worth it. Mediocre. Collapse
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Relative to the 1st and 3rd dmc, dmc4 is a bad game. Uninteresting story, bad design, broken gameplay, annoying backtracking... all things the older games excelled at.
  11. Oct 16, 2010
    This game has great graphics, a decent storyline, and a fairly slow start. I noticed this at first and almost gave up, but give it a few missions! It gets captivating, and you will find yourself deeply engrossed. For some reason, despite having a compatible controller, I can only control the menu by keyboard, so it is a little annoying to go back and forth, but no biggie. I haven'tThis game has great graphics, a decent storyline, and a fairly slow start. I noticed this at first and almost gave up, but give it a few missions! It gets captivating, and you will find yourself deeply engrossed. For some reason, despite having a compatible controller, I can only control the menu by keyboard, so it is a little annoying to go back and forth, but no biggie. I haven't read anyone else having this problem either, so it may be isolated. The ratings of the public alone says volumes about this game; 50 positive, 3 negative user scores by oct 15, 2010. Excellent title. Expand
  12. Jul 3, 2011
    I became so distracted with flustering with the camera controls and the game controls that i've lost all interesting for the plot and game itself.
  13. Aug 5, 2013
    One of the best ports ever. DMC 4 is loads of action packed fun with loads of replay value, if you are looking for a good hack-n-slash game on PC you have found it.
  14. Oct 25, 2011
    This is actually a very good game,though it lacks some weapons and stylish moves like in devil may cry 3.The graphics of this game is very astounding.So it's a must have/played game.
  15. Feb 5, 2013
    Before this game I was read-only (watch-only, to be precise: anime, cut-scenes from previous parts and so on) fan of this universe. And I'm definitely glad, that my close relationship with it begun due to this game. The setting ranges from pretty good to awesome, except, maybe, sewers, that part was just strange. The music is quite good, the fighting tense but passable, and the Dante... IBefore this game I was read-only (watch-only, to be precise: anime, cut-scenes from previous parts and so on) fan of this universe. And I'm definitely glad, that my close relationship with it begun due to this game. The setting ranges from pretty good to awesome, except, maybe, sewers, that part was just strange. The music is quite good, the fighting tense but passable, and the Dante... I fear, Capcom will never surpass themselves with this character. Expand
  16. Dec 24, 2013
    DMC 3 is a terrible port and the PC version of DMC 4 runs great and has some extra ♥♥♥♥
    Devil May Cry 4 is a massive showcase of what we could have if we were a better industry.
    The combat system is deep, complex, and is freeform enough at the same time to have the possibility for tournaments. Everything your character can do can link to 90% of everything else he can do.
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[6.0]
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    I really love this game, still playing till today, Exceeding every demon, having fun being stylish! But there's still some problems, I can't still beat the game with zero damage.
  19. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game is overall well designed. Gameplay is fast, especially with Nero, and while basic enemies are not much of a threat even at higher difficulties, many enemies force the player to learn their strengths and weaknesses and adjust approach accordingly. This is especially important for boss battles, as each boss is different in terms of moveset, overall capabilities as well as feel of the battle. Nero has a Devil Bringer which gives a set of new options and compensates for his limited moveset compared to Dante. While it is possible to go through much of the game simply by button mashing it, this only works up to the Credo boss fight at lover difficulties, and at higher difficulties does not work at all. At Dante Must Die difficulty, enemies gain the Devil Trigger, which makes even game's standard mooks threatening (albeit only when in groups), and forces the player to often cancel out combos in order to evade attacks from the side. Nero also serves as a good introduction to gameplay for new fans, allowing them to adjust before switching to comparably more complex and harder to play Dante.

There are some problems. Story is not very original, but it is adequate insomuch as it provides an excuse for the game itself, as well as for its primary downside - namely, huge amount of backtracking. When playing as Dante, player is forced to replay all of the levels previously done with the Nero, facing same enemies and same bosses. All bosses except for Sanctus are actually fought three times, which becomes jarring; this is only somewhat compensated for the fact that Dante has to use different tactics compared to Nero to take them down. None of these however are major enough to seriously impact the quality of the game, and Dante's playstyle is different enough that his part of the game does not feel simply as a reprise of Nero's.
  20. May 8, 2014
    on PC is great to play it .. but you sometimes stop to enjoy it because of the keyboard but when you add the ps3 controller/other one....than the FUN begins
  21. Oct 6, 2014
    I love the game and the story, and i love this Dante, the way is older and legendary, so great, still in love, and it has an awesome soundtrack, and one of the most epic boss battles i ever seen!
  22. Oct 13, 2014
    A good and addictive title with a great storyline and characters. It's all about the fighting, but it's ideal if you want to blow off some steam. The boss fight are pretty good, even though most of them are repeated. The port is good and the game is totally playable on keyboard.

A port that doesn't have anything new or interesting for PC gamers. Sure, it's Devil May Cry 4, and by golly, its enhanced high-res visuals sure look swell. But if you're going to port a game to the PC, you should take advantage of the most versatile platform out there. DMC4 fails to do so.
  2. Its story, while not being complicated or particularly mysterious, remains fun and interesting enough to see you through to the end, which is saying something because it isn't what many would consider to be a short game. What Capcom has produced isn't the pinnacle of console-to-PC quality, but it isn't anything to be laughed at either.
  3. Devil May Cry 4 may not be a very subtle game, but it sure is a lot of fun. Ripping whole armies of demons to shreds at breathtaking speed or watching a mighty end boss giving kudos to you in "over the top" cut scenes - things like these create that special feeling of power. There are some weak spots like (levels are re-used, a few annoying mini games and riddles), but action fans should give it a go anyway.