3.9

1. May 20, 2012
    The absolute WORST online experience ever. This COMPLETELY RUINS the game. When I try to open my game to the public I crash within 1 minute. When I play with others I crash every 20 mins to 1 hr. No progress is saved when I play multiplayer and crash, so I literally spend hours just trying to go fast enough to beat a quest before I crash. The skills are incredibly dull and simple, as are the classes (coming from someone who LOVED d1 and d2). Hell mode (which isn't even the hardest mode) is near impossible if you get the wrong unique monster, so soloing can be frustrating, to say the least. This leads me to my above point: since I can't solo it, I have to try multiplayer, but I keep crashing. Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game until Blizzard makes the servers somewhat stable. I'm sure it's not my computer, because it's well above the minimum specs and I am running on great internet and have played other MMOs without trouble. Expand
  2. May 20, 2012
    when I played D3 ,I can't believe that it's a game developed in 2012 , the Graphics looks prety bad, the art style almost let me think it was a Korea game, Completely a different kind art-style of D2
  3. May 21, 2012
    Was unplayable due to lag caused by the permanent connection. (System totally shameful for a single player game)

Lots oversimplified the game lost much of its interest and its replayability.

The result of this diablo 3 is that today I pledge to boycott the battel net and Blizzard games.
  4. May 21, 2012
    I have never experienced such a poor launch of a game ever in my life. The game either does not install, or installs then doesn't do anything when I hit play. I really was waiting to play the game before giving a review, but I am sorry Blizz, if I simply am unable too play your game then it gets a zero. went to customer service and they went through a million steps with me, first it was my Alienware, then it was my Norton, then it was my Mcafee, then it was my wireless, lets be honest Blizz, It is Diablo III not my computer I have never had a conflict as bad as this before. Please release games ready to play and ready to be installed. Absolute nonsense. Expand
  5. May 21, 2012
    Everything you loved about Diablo 1 and 2 where removed in this game. No more custom stats. No more skill trees. No more character customization. Graphics are okay at best. The storyline is horrible. The only well-done thing is the cinematics. I'm afraid Blizzard has totally and completely become Activision. Where their motto is: "Gamers don't know what they want - we know what gamers want." They completely and utterly ignore what their customers state they want in a game. Oh . . . and no Cow Level. Expand
  6. May 22, 2012
    Diablo III is an OK game that you can play in 5min to 45min intervals if you'er lucky. A single player game with 'always play online' DRM... why? First off - my internet connection stability and/or router setup and/or ISP setup works fine for any game except, apparently, D3. So don't try to sell me some router or ISP trouble shooting. The problem lies with the Diablo 3 and it's servers (in combination with my setup). PERIOD. The game is OK despite the low-fi graphic and lack of old school Diablo atmosphere but the issue for me is that I get booted before I finish a quest. Thus I need to repeat it, all the while collecting experience points making be an all mighty Barbarian who is way too powerful for the area I'm still stuck in. This may sound good but it's not. The enemies are sooo weak in comparison now that I sit there chopping away like they are on a conveyor belt and I'm a factory production line worker. I've never even used a potion and I'm on level 12! Why not give us the option to play offline with the trade-off being that offline created characters cannot (ever) go on-line? So, to Blizzard: Fix your game or give me my money back! Expand
  7. May 22, 2012
    Should have listened to that inner voice telling me that big hyped games are never as good as one would expect. The game has been riddled with problems which have hampered me from properly playing this game. The lack of support in the Oceanic region has been a slap in the face. But in all honesty, should I be reviewing this game on issues that are outside the scope of game play? Well yes, I think so. Blizzard has decided to add an "always-online" feature which renders server problems apart of the game play. Expand
  8. May 22, 2012
    This game contains NONE of the charm the previous games did. Character development is poor, there is no gravitas to the story despite having such a rich backstory to draw upon. The simplification of the actual core mechanics is insulting to those who played previous Diablo games. By allowing all skills to be used and taking away leveling up skills, the importance of items is increased. If you enjoy having WOW remade in the Diablo universe then this game is for you, otherwise avoid at all costs. The inclusion of online only is annoying but fair enough to avoid piracy, HOWEVER this point is completely lost when they include an auction house designed to rake in real world money for them. Such corporate cynicism injected into a once magnificent franchise saddens me, and this is only amplified by the insane amount of time that Blizzard has poured into this to achieve such a substandard result. After I played this game I can't help but feel that a company that used to make great games is now trying to find greater ways to gouge my wallet repeatedly in the most arrogant of all ways. Expand
  9. May 22, 2012
    Horrible product by a horrible company. Blizzard used to be good. They started going downhill when they were bought by Activision. I think this really shows because all blizzard games up until WotLK were good. Before Wotlk Blizzard merged with Activision who is owned by vivendi. This means a bunch of no-nothing about games people are pushing and managing deadlines for the company below it. They probably want them to follow the Call of Duty model, which is release an expansion every year. Guess what not gonna happen. I'll never buy a blizzard product again if they don't release the PvP within a month. This was a borderline scam. Expand
  10. May 22, 2012
    Played for a total of 35 hours and finished on normal setting (because you are forced to) but don't feel the need to play it anymore. Story is bland, graphics aren't great but didn't bother me that much. Gameplay is satisfying most of the time. Loot is not very interesting, couldn't care less about auction houses and pay-to-win schemes and the always online crap is just ridiculous, I have a fast internet connection but still get lag in my $%^^$^ SINGLEPLAYER game! Not to mention I (and many others) have experienced serious BSOD's, a first on my pc and definitely because of Diablo 3. I feel stupid paying for this treacherous piece of garbage. Expand
  11. May 22, 2012
    What a disappointment! Blizzard showed they do not give two $hit$ about their fans or what we want. After all this time they could have easily given us a masterpiece but they opted for the easy money. Blizzard will forever be synonymous with greed after this eff up. Shame on you.
  12. May 23, 2012
    Accounts hacked. Poor performance. Auction House down. Short story-line with gameplay made repetitive by boring monsters. This feels like a $20 game, a mediocre $20 game.
  13. May 23, 2012
    Guys, no matter how hyped this game has been, it is not worth it at all. All of the classes are simply broken. Did the developers even test this game past normal? Did anyone actually play inferno? I've played over 100 hours of this game in 1 week and I have realized how much of a waste of life it has been. Without massive changes, this game is absolute trash.

I have never been so
    rage-induced by a single game.

Every single facet of the game has been as letdown. None of the features lived up to the expectations. Auction house is a complete joke. I don't understand how they couldn't implement the simple functions of the WoW auction house. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE LAUNCH PROBLEMS. It's just **** Pure ****
  14. May 23, 2012
    Diablo III, DO NOT BUY. Iâ
  15. May 23, 2012
    This game was below average. The gameplay is fun, but quickly becomes tedious and boring. As such, the replayability is below average. The graphics are below average. The story is below average. WELL below average. For the most part, the writing is absolutely horrific. The plot is transparent and banal to the point of personal insult. For example, Act 2, by Blizzards own admission is supposed to focus on intrigue and deception - and has little of either that I could tell. The entirety of this Act was bland and unmemorable.

All of the alleged "twists" in this game were mind-numbingly lame. There are atleast 3 characters that suffer from memory loss, one of the most cliche and overused plot devices in existence.

Blizzard retconned and filled in alot of Diablo history to come up with the most convoluted and childish story every drempt of. The extremely contrived plot appears to be aimed at an audience legally too young to purchase this game.

There is no offline singleplayer, which makes sure your solo experience is filled with all of the possible connection and lag issues of any multiplayer game. So far these issues have been numerous.

The auction hall(s) and the game's dumbed down experience ensure that good items for your character are far too easy to come by, which is a huge flaw, seeing as Blizzard put a huge focus on gear to replace a completely gutted levelling system.

As a stand alone title, this game is mediocre. Keeping in mind the time in developement, and the legacy of the series, Diablo 3 was a dissappointment, whose "Concentrated Coolness" sounds way to similar to Dragon Age 2's "Awesome Button".
  16. May 23, 2012
    One word: DATED.

I can't believe all the positive reviews from "estbalishment" sites. This game is dated in plot, execution, and all sorts of peripherals. Can't change camera angle, graphics are dated and yet hog resources, there is 0 replayability unless you want to redo the one main storyline multiple times... This was a good game 15 years ago, and unfortunately nothing has changed.

I was shocked by how dated this game is, and I don't even have to mention the online issues.
  17. May 24, 2012
    Giving 0/1 out of 10 IS INDEED helping the industry!
    Downrating, and thus keeping down the sales, a product that is solely made to milk every last drop out of the customers, is THE ONLY way to push the publishers to change their business mentality. Sure Diablo 3 can be fun to play and is not so bad technically wise, but it is the way Activision / new Blizzard is treating the fans that is
    totally unacceptable, especially for that price.
    And it's very simple, if enough people rate the product down and don't buy it, you'll wonder how fast the publishers suddenly will make great games again. Or maybe Blizzard / Activision will go down and vanish? So let it be, a company that gives a **** about their customers and the fans should not be so big anyway. New, smaller publishers and indiegames will raise and have already: See Runic Games with Torchlight 2, lot's of the old Diablo developers are in their team now and it has everything Diablo3 is missing and much more. It just doesn't have the giant budget to make it such a hype title.
    With every copy of Diablo 3 (or other games with same problems) that is sold, we just tell the publishers their behaviour is the right one and to go on with it, even to make it worse next time. Blizzard is long dead already. R.I.P. Blizzard, R.I.P. Diablo.
  18. May 24, 2012
    60 DH on inferno here. Whole game is based around RMAH. Clear profiteering with little to no effort put into making an innovative or balanced game. Servers are zombified too. You buy and only Kotick wins.
  19. May 24, 2012
    Before I begin, I made an account here just to post this review. This game defines the reason Piracy is so prevalent today. Quite simply it is not worth the price tag attributed. I could not find any in the shops so purchased for £44 online and downloaded it. I shall list my experience so far in order; The installation was not easy, I had to trawl through the online forums because it continuously failed, trying numerous things suggested until I fixed it which took an hour or so. The fix was from the community NOT from Blizzard :/.

You need a CONSTANT internet connection to play the single player game, there have been times where their servers are overloaded and I could not play / log in. Unacceptable to me from such a big player in the games industry.

The game itself is really mediocre, I usually play on hard difficulty settings for a challenge, but you need to complete the game on normal first before its unlocked. Normal difficulty setting is so unbelievably easy, the gameplay you literally hold one mouse button to run around and kill things, then occasionally hit the right mouse button, Q and numbers 1 - 4. As one previous poster commented "This is Spore all over again" - That too was a game that was unbelievably over-hyped and ended up just a HUGE disappointment to me. Diablo 3 is similar.

To me there are alot of games companies squeezing the life out of excellent titles for the sake of profit. THQ did it with Supreme commander and Activision do it with Call of duty, then there is Tiger woods 137 etc etc. - Diablo gives me the same feeling that me, the consumer and my gaming experience comes not even second to their main priorities of the bottom line and making money. Yes it is important but the balance is tipped too far in the wrong direction for me imo.

Very disappointed!
  20. May 24, 2012
    Level 60 cap instanced dungeons Maximum 4 players No skill trees Tiered armour sets. WoW Themed Style, and art direction. Rated T for Teens. Explosive barrel sequences(rock cliffs, and bookshelves "Console **** to kill waves of enemies Slow uninteresting combat Generic air cutting effects when attacing Cut and pasted skills from WoW No stat points NO TOWNS Vanishing corpses Scripted events killing you instantly despite having full health
    Instantly respawning at boss fights
    3 passive skills only that you will be forced to juggle
    RMT'ing the AH. Double diming players for placing, and selling items on it
    Legalised chinese farmers
    Intrusive DRM
    Always Online
    No Offline mode
    No LAN
    No single player
    No opened world PVP
    Dumbed down for general audience, probably this is the most oversimplified and dumbed down game I've ever played besides Sims and Facebook and cellphone games

Character customisation removed(no more skill points to distribute, no more attribute points to distribute, skills unlock automatically as you level up)
    Legalized gold selling, pay-to-win auction houses
    Scripted garbage EVERYWHERE
    GETTING KICKED OUT OF YOUR SINGLEPLAYER GAME FOR BEING AFK
    Bland, one dimensional, WoW inspired skills
    World PvP removed and the only PvP options is a WoW-clone arena (which is not even functional yet)
    Voice acting is HORIBBLE compared to D2 or any games with a budget bigger than 20 dollars.
    Timed log-outs in a game which its gameplay is based on being fast-paced (even on hardcore mode)
    CHECKPOINTS that revive you from where you are left off (how much more casual can they make a diablo game I wonder)
    Region lock, DRM that requires you to be constantly online
    LEVEL 60 CAP Surely to be raised to 70,80,90 and so on with yearly expansions that consists of cut content for only another $60!

Retarded things that butcher the whole atmosphere such as:

â
  21. May 24, 2012
    I spent 10 to 15 hours playing on the trial, leveled a Monk, Demon Hunter, and Mage to 10, killing the Skeleton King with each. I started a barbarian, but I just couldn't keep playing. If you like having input on how your character progresses ala stat point distribution or skill points, this is not the game for you. The character levels on its own, and you are given six slots to choose which skills to use, and which runes to attach to the powers to alter the skill. Skills are doled out as you level in a pre-planned fashion. That's it for customization. It's a simple system, and if you like that sort of thing, you'll love this game. I know some people love the "streamlined" system and thinks it's an improvement, and I'm glad those people can enjoy this game. I didn't, however, and I couldn't feel connected to my character as a result of having no input on how it leveled. That issue, coupled with the internet DRM, is why I give the game a terrible score, and why I won't be purchasing it. The combat plays like Diablo, and the music is Diablo, but that's where the similarities end for me. Do yourself a favor and play the trial before buying this, to make sure its the kind of game you want. I was expecting something completely different. Otherwise, I suggest pre-ordering Torchlight 2, as you'll get Torchlight 1 for free to scratch your Diablo itch while you wait for T2 to come out this summer. Consequently, Torchlight 1, a game with a far lower budget released in 2009, has held my attention just as long as Diablo 3, and I'm still enjoying it. I think that says something about Diablo 3 and it's level of quality, at least as far as players who were expecting the ability to customize their character in a similar way to the previous two installments of Diablo. Expand
  22. May 24, 2012
    This is the biggest disappointment since Duke Nukem Forever. I put about 30 hours into this game and had enough. This game is bland, tasteless garbage thrown together by yet another corporate entity, surrounded by hype, purely for profit. I'm a D2 veteran and this game isn't worthy of being called Diablo 3 - Diablow 3 sounds more fitting. This is a dumbed-down game catered to WoW subscribers and casual gamers. So many people have already mentioned the countless problems with this game so I'm not even going to waste my time trying to rehash that.

Luckily, I was able to get a refund after dealing with the neverending hold for Blizzard Billing & Support. Don't believe the hype or the critics (who are payed to make good reviews) and save your money for something more worthy.
  23. May 25, 2012
    There is no excuse in the poor battle encounter design that disregard player play style and skill combination, there is no excuse in the poor diversity of the loot bonus, and there is no excuse in the linear player progression path. Diablo III is a well package game with great product value, however this is such flawed game in the design and system department that Blizzard should be ashamed of.
  24. May 25, 2012
    There's too many things to mention that are bad about this game. Blizzard improved a bit on D2, but regressed in all the important areas including replayability, which is almost nonexistent. Everything about this game feels uninspired and rushed (the loot, story, even the game's servers).

I've never done a formal review of a game in my 15 years as being a gamer, but I decided to do just
    this one because I've never been as disappointed and let down in a purchase as I have with this title. It's really turned around my perception of Blizzard, unfortunately in a bad way. They just aren't the company they were before. Expand
  25. May 26, 2012
    Like the game but online requirement for single player sucks. I'm constantly suffering lags, delays and glitches that makes the game not funny. (dummy text to get 150 chars)
  26. May 27, 2012
    I've tried to put up with all the issues but there are too many! 1. Story is mediocre.
    2. some very horrible dialogue. Especially when Diablo himself is talking like a stupid child.... seriously.
    3.lag spiking. and this is the only game that does this so its this game and not my internet.
    4. Frame dropping.. sadly BF3, dirt 3, ME3 and every other game runs smooth D3 does not. Tried many
    diff video drivers and settings to no avail.
    5. End game video was pitiful for a diablo game. number of CG videos lacking.
    6. no real feel of improving. I've gone from 1500dps to 3000dps upgrade and there was none to little sensation of really destroying **** up. 7. Leveling and items seem to be fine drops are fine.
    8. music is lacking... i seem to notice only 3 songs...
    9. Audio doesn't work well with my 5.1 system... Every other game works fine. so this was depressing. And i never have audio problems with anythings. sigh.
    10.Auction House is horrible at best. It may work. but it probably won't. Then it will work oh wait its not. lol
    10.1 Support for cash auction house response ... call this number ... call number wait an hour. oh ya its not up yet. ask why it said on the box it was in game... no answer and then they freaking hanged up on me.
    10.2 when the auction house works it's not bad... if it works

11. random game kicks you out cause server problems. They're trying to fix it i get it... but just dont release the game if it can't be played properly damn it.

12. It's freaking DIABLO 3 not some cheap ass company that puts out ****ty games. Yet this game is flawed and needs too many fixes. I wish I had not bought this game. I have asked for my money back as I get too mad for the 1000th time the game lags when im battling some mobs and im dead again.... and again.... yeah that's sure fun.

I love Diablo 2, 1, Starcraft 1, 2, big esports guy but third time is not a charm for diablo series 4/10. 60% of the fun was lost from playing this game now....

Don't buy it now... buy it when it's finished.... if you have to...
  27. May 27, 2012
    Ok game mechanics, graphics and playability for the first few stages but totally lacks most of the long term viability of its predecessor. It seems as though the developers threw a lot of good Diablo ideas out the window, replaced with WoW concepts and a goal to milk money out of players with their RMAH. For a sequel so long in the making it is an utter failure, for a new game it would be ok, but not great. Expand
  28. May 27, 2012
    Very poor story, dull bosses which are easier than champion packs, itemization failed (blue items better than legendaries), narrow variety of usable skills in end-game and Blizzard doesn't give a sh*t, they just want more money
  29. May 27, 2012
    As much as I like some of the features of this game, the "always on" internet connection is an instant 0 rating. This is unacceptable. Mind you, I do have a cable, so for me it's less of a problem (although overloaded servers are still a pain), but conceptually the idea just sucks. Single player should NOT be always-online.
  30. May 28, 2012
    Underwhelmingly awful. The game is repetitive and boring and doesn't carry-through the darker undertones of Diablo II that somehow made this type of gaming interesting. I was placed on a different server to my friends but was not warned of this - this meant later after we'd started, we couldn't join-up and play with our characters.
  31. May 28, 2012
    I really liked Diablo 2, but I wasn't that excited for Diablo 3. I just felt there was no where for the story to go, and boy, was I right. Well, no where for it to go without digging into some massively stupid cliches.

Graphics: 5/10 They're passable. I mean, there's nothing really new from what I remember of Diablo 2, just updated to look a bit nicer. It's actually below what I would
    expect, but they're not horrid.

Story: 2/10 Gah, other than a few cool parts, the story was completely predictable. And this Nephalem thing... what's wrong with just good old humans being the heroes? And Tristram! REALLY? Does EVERY Diablo story HAVE to start there? Really? And the second second act. Oh, and the barbarian lands the third act... I'm rather expecting them to shoehorn in the jungle in any expansion they come out because it's terribly hard to think of new cities and new environments to play in. I actually found the journals more interesting than what the main characters had to say, and the journals aren't really... that good.

Gameplay: 3/10
    ... it's Diablo. It's a clickfest. It works. Why I'm lowering the score here is the lack of customization. Every class has every skill in that class unlocked. Gone are choosing your skill and stat points. I personally think that taking choices away from the player is a Bad Thing. Yes, they can choose anything they want, but the fact that it's all open, that there's nothing to really work for, and that there's no reason to roll another of the same class is pretty ridiculous. Sound/Music: 8/10 While not perfect, I liked the music. The sounds are fine for combat, and when listening to the journals, it dims the other sounds so you can hear it. What's annoying is that if you happen to click on something else that spews sound at you, or start a conversation, before the journal or whatever is done, the new one rides over the old one. I suppose it had to be that way, but it's still annoying.

Miscellaneous: 2/10
    Miscellaneous holds the "other" categories which don't fit neatly in sound, gameplay, story, and graphics. As the catchall, the DRM must be mentioned. YOU MUST HAVE A CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET TO PLAY. That's ridiculous! What if your internet goes down? Oh, I'll play Diablo... WAIT NO YOU CAN'T. The only more ridiculous DRM I've ever seen was on Spore, which gave you three installs, and that was it. This one makes you be social. The auction house should get a mention here, which I don't think adds to the game. The reason why? The further you go, the harder it is to find equipment for the character you are playing. I'm not kidding. I have a 40 wizard, and finding +Int items seems impossible. However, I can go on the auction house and buy them.... It's been stated by Blizzard that there's an algorithm in place to calculate drops based on your character and the auction house, which means that you find awesome stuff for other toons, and you can save them in a communal stash (great upgrade there), but they are leading people to using the auction house. Now, I have no problems with that, in theory, but just let me get my own items. What if I don't WANT to use the auction house? Why make it harder for the single player? All of this is, of course, leading up to the real money auction house (RMAH), where if you list something, from what I have read, there is a $1 dollar item fee, %15 listing fee, and ANOTHER 15% fee to transfer any money from the battlenet store to PayPal. That means that if I sell an item for $1.50, say, $1 goes to the listing fee, and it's unclear if it's %15 of the remaining money ($0.50) or of the total ($1.50). If it's the second, that's a $0.23 fee, leaving you $0.27 cents made. Then, if you transfer that to PayPal, there's another $0.04 fee to do so, leaving you with a grand total of $0.23 from a $1.50 item. Of course, the higher you sell an item for, the profit margin will grow, but who will spend REAL money for fake items? All in all, it's a shame that this game isn't better. I don't mind the idea behind the auction houses, but let people make money off of it. Just take a flat %15 and call it good. The gameplay is what you expect from Diablo, but the story is awful and rehashed. I would avoid buying it for now, and pick it up on the bargain bin six months from now, because it CAN be consuming (especially the first time through), but it's not worth $60, not by a long shot.
  32. May 28, 2012
    I am a long-time PC gamer who played both Diablo and Diablo II for many, many hours back when they came out, as well as other great Blizzard games like Starcraft and the Warcraft series...so wow, where to start with a review of a game that was one of the most anticipated of the last 10 years, and probably one of this biggest disappointments ever. What's interesting is that Blizzard previewed this game 4 years ago, and it looked mostly done at that point. Why has it taken so long to deliver so little? I'm going to ignore the two things that seemed to get most people so angry, the requirement of a persistent connection (though I think it's a bad idea, a really bad idea), and the server issues which have made playing hit-or-miss for so many people, and concentrate on what I think are it's major failings, one, the lack of any real long-term replay-ability, and two, a game model and approach which owes way too much to World of Warcraft. Another major gameplay complaint is the way multiplayer games are handled, come on, only 4 players? No game lobby? I don't like it at all. Why take a model that worked great (D2), and throw it out the window?

This is an event-driven, very linear game. There's not much in the way of "free play" like you had in D2 at all, you can only enter the game at pre-determined quest points, if you want to play an area again. There are no persistent portals, either, which I see as a major mistake. You can not die on a quest, and go back to where you were. You have to start over, and this can be REALLY annoying. After playing this game all the way through in only a few hours, I was left asking myself where the other half of the game was, because it really seems like it's missing at least half of what it should have. Where's the beef? A good game should provide at LEAST 40 hours of play-through, (especially one that costs $60) and no, I don't think that including extra hardness levels counts. You're still doing exactly the same thing over again. The maps are all the same, every time. Many of the "maps" are basically a corridor from the entrance to the exit, with maybe a few hard mobs in the way. There is very little in the way of challenge here, much less strategy. By abandoning the attribute point and skill system, one of the really fun things that made D2 so replayable is gone. The system they replaced it with is well thought out, but it's totally unsuitable for a serious ARPG game. What they've actually done is turned this into a casual game at a hardcore price.

That brings me to the second major issue, the whole game model. It's obvious that Blizzard is intending this to be a major money-maker by creating an auction house where addicted players will be tempted into buying the best items to equip their players for the hard levels. This is clear just by the way the difficulty scales as you move through the game. It goes from easy to super hard very fast, with no commensurate boost in player stats to compensate, just the same old mismatched items that are completely ineffective. To top it all off, the "normal" auction house hasn't even been working correctly at all, and the "real money" one has been put on hold indefinitely. It's bad enough that you have to struggle against an unbalanced game, but you can't even get what you need from the auction house either. This has been a major ongoing issue, as a lot of players have reached the level where they really need those auction house items, and they can't get them. I can't help but think this is a huge step backwards. You should be able to play the game without having to buy equipment from someone else. The fact that you can't shows a really cynical approach by Blizzard to the game overall. Even in World of Warcraft, you can play the game through without having to buy anything. This game is so item-centric that you simply can't.

I'd rate this game as follows:

Graphics: 7 out of 10, mainly because they look just like WoW graphics, almost the same style.
    Gameplay: 6 out of 10, because there's little strategy, and some annoying gameplay decisions.
    Execution: 2 out of 10, because of the awful launch problems, MIA auction house, and terrible multiplayer implementation.

I'm afraid that this is the game that has put the nail in the coffin of Blizzard as far as I'm concerned. WoW was a good game at the start, but they've dumbed it down to a silly, childlike, purely casual game now, complete with personal flying dragons and dancing pandas. Starcraft II was a warning, in a way, because it was only 1/3 of a game, or looking at it another way, a game you had to buy two expansion packs for to have a complete game. And of course there was the DRM, and the need for a persistent internet connection. And now we have Diablo 3. Goodbye Blizzard, it was nice knowing you.
  33. May 29, 2012
    The game is pretty terrible on some things and there is no excuse for that; you developed it for 10+ **** years. I believe that that time was enough to deal with the bugs and the cartoon graphics. And as if that wasn't enough, you put the DRM in too? WTF where you guys thinking? I would expect that from EA, Activision and from Ubisoft, but from you too? No, i didn't. If you wouldn't put that kind of DRM, i would be glad to give the game a 7/10 becuase its pretty fun, but......

You have lost a loyal fan, but sadly, i know that you don't give two **** about it.
  34. May 29, 2012
    "it's a disgrace. it's a disgrace. it's a **** disgrace."

didier drogba, about diablo 3

no story, no pvp, cookie cutter setups. welcome to blizzard casual gaming department.
  35. May 29, 2012
    Over a decade in the making - Blizzard presents you with the most fantastic game release failure in recent memory. The game, is ok - however - with the anticipation of D3, the huge resources of Blizzard - the end product is unforgivable.

The game, has potential, if it worked. In the spirit of other Blizzard titles - we have whining players, constant changes to classes, mechanics,
    gameplay - and inconsistent application of stats. It just has this sour taste ... reminiscent of another Blizzard title. This is Diablo, not World of Whinecraft. Diablo fans want what they expect, not an unfinished, untested game that is flawed, broken in many ways - and still a work in progress. As a Diablo fan - who has played all 3 Diablo I'm soundly disappointed by this mediocre release. Even the auction house doesn't work. Nothing works in game! I didn't expect to play a half-finished beta - served as a final product. Pathetic. Expand
  36. May 29, 2012
    Servers are never up/ if they are the AH isn't up or working. The game is broken in inferno and becomes about as fun as a root canal. Itemisation is garbage. Blizzard continues to go downhill after Activision takeover. They should be embarrassed.
  37. May 29, 2012
    Had to get a refund for this game. Upgraded my computer to an i5 3750 with a Z77 MB, 8GB ram, the works and I couldn't play when I wanted to because of connection issues and constant server downtime. Their EULA mentions an "offline" mode but there isn't one. You're forced to play on their servers.

The game itself is absolutely terrible as It's a remake of a game they created in the
    1990's. If this were 1999 this game would get a 10/10 but this is 2012 and games these days have a ton more content. The fact that we're expected to pay $60 to farm and grind the same dungeons over and over again with limited customization to our characters makes me cringe. I played the game through level 38 and the story consists of angry demons fighting angry angels, it's incredibly simple. They just drew up characters who were angry for no reason. Absolutely no user beneficial creativity went into this game. It's a dumbed down version of D2 with better graphics, DRM and an auction house. They even went as far to strip features such as lobbies and offline play to suit their money driven business model. This game is absolute rubbish, worst game I've ever spent money on. Expand
  38. May 30, 2012
    The game has unacceptable DRM. I don't have enough time to play often. So it's even worse to get persistent login errors for hours whenever I manage to free up some time. I have been able to play sometimes and the game looks nice. But the horrible frustration of not being able to play even on my own makes it not worth it. There's no technical reason for not allowing singleplayer without a connecting to their servers. Expand
  39. May 30, 2012
    This game is seriously under par. After the wait, this should have the "Blizzard Polish" (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html) which was largely ignored for this game. It does NOT live up to either D1 nor D2. The skills are bland, the gameplay at highest levels is broken (kiting only). The items drops, which are what define Diablo and Diablo Grinding have been deliberately made so impossible to come by, in favor of the AH/RMAH as an intended "feature". Legendaries do not drop, and when they do, are worse than blues of the same level, same with Set pieces. This game is utterly broken. Expand
  40. May 30, 2012
    It's an ok single player game but it's plagued by the worst aspects off online requirements. Seriously, I've lost a fair amount of gameplay progress because they've rebooted the servers before I could save. What's so frustrating is that I thought I was buying a single player game. If I want to play an MMO then I'll go do that. I'm level 9 but I'm so aggravated about the patching and server reboots I doubt I'll continue. Expand
  41. Jun 1, 2012
    Feels like a cheap game. Horrible game design, constant errors, lags. And the game is too short. I can't say that this is Diablo. Diablo III is the worst purchase in my life.
  42. Jun 1, 2012
    Good game, when playable. From 5 PM to 10PM it's impossible to log in. Wait for the price to drop because this is not a game but a paid beta test. - no character customization - still no PvP - still no real money auction house (that to be honest is a good thing) - no server stabilty - account security issues - ATI drivers compatibility issues - game difficulties umbalanced - random enchantments on items makes good drops incredibly rare (that brings us back to the real money auction house)

The gameplay is funny and addictive but crap Blizzard needs to work a lot on this game to get something really worth the price and the hype of 12 years.
  43. Jun 11, 2012
    The youtube videos of what Blizzard said was going to be Diablo3 are just complete lies and should be sued by many for false advertisement. All the slowly released videos to get you hyped up are completely non existent in what is Supposedly "Diablo3". Sad

Well I have to be applaud Blizzard in all reality. From a business stand point it would seem like you're on the perfect track to make
    the shareholders at Activision very, very pleased.

You've taken a game with so much hype built around it, a game with a rabid and wildly large fan base, a game vaulting off of the massive success of the previous generation - and you've turned it into your sacrificial lamb.

I understand that WoW is dying. The cash cow that you have been able to depend on to fill your coffers is finally drying up. It had a great run. MoP is not likely to defibrillate the failing heart of what was once the WoW empire, and you know this. Starcraft 2, while an amazing game, cannot replace this cash cow - then again it wasn't meant to. How could it? Your business foresight is very, very attuned. Because of this you carefully planned your next chess move: Diablo 3.

What better way to birth another golden goose than to bank an entire game off of the most addictive part of what Diablo 2 was: the item grind. Pure brilliance. And so, from the ground up, you formed this game to be solely about item exchange - this would be the titan built to replace WoW's subscription based bankroll in the form of micro transactions.

Except one thing: you're boring.

On May 15th 2012, after nearly a decade of anticipation, we were given Diablo 3! Except, it's not quite Diablo 3. It's a slimmed down, cut up version of the Diablo 3 everyone was taught to expect. Except, it wasn't given to us, we still had to pay you full price for it: $60.
    So where's the beef? - some might say. The beef is that this is not Diablo 3, this is an imposter. A hologram. An artificial replacement. A lame duck substitute for what hype built it up to be. A cut up and slimmed down version of what should have been. In essence: a slaughtered, sacrificial lamb.

That leaves myself and thousands of others saying indeed, where is the beef? Blizzard's answer: there is no cow level. But hey, we got rainbows and unicorns!

Is anyone still in complete denial about how truly boring this game is or have people started to shake off the honey moon dust?

You eliminated enchanting, PvP, pet companions and other things from the release version so that you could market it as part of a later expansion for more money. (This is a trend in gaming that several developers have been following; withhold content you've been advertising for the past two years and charge a premium for it at a later date. I shouldn't have expected Activision-Blizzard to be any different, and that is my fault. I wrongly assumed this group was made of trend setters and leaders, not followers - so shame on me.)

You didn't include a single player mode because you can't make money off of people if they aren't using the AH in a multiplayer format. Less work for you in the development stages, and forces people to engage in the micro-economy that your bankroll is based on. Again, brilliance. Which leads me to my final point:

There is so LITTLE dynamic to this game I cannot believe it took this many years to create it. In fact, I don't. So why the long wait? I'll tell you: economic law.

More specifically, the legality and complications that stemmed from the idea of a multinational game built around a Real Money Auction House. This process, I imagine, took years to iron out - while the game itself probably took no more than a few actual working years to complete (and it truly shows).

It doesn't take an overly intelligent mind to figure WHY they would want to use a RMAH and get a cut of (a lot of) the transactions. That's fine. Here's the problem: you built the entire game around a pure gear grind, and then force that gear grind to revolve around the AH, specifically the RMAH. There is literally no other dynamic. When you build a game from a purely business stand point, you're not building a great game - and a great game this is not.

In conclusion, gamers, do you really want to spend your time on yet another slave-like gear grind? If so, eat your heart out. You'll find no better place to do it! If not, there are a plethora of other games out there much more deserving of your $60, I promise.

Diablo 3 was built around Activision's greed. Participate at your own will.

Gamers hold grudges and people aren't going to forget this disaster. If you obliterate your true fan base, the pillars of your success come falling soon after.

I give this post less than a few hours before it is deleted by Blizzard moderators. Can't have that bad flavor out there, can we? Truth hurts.
  44. Jun 2, 2012
    60 Hours not 1 cool item (unique/set) found! well they should be rare in AH blizard says but frankly i dont wanna compete with 10^23 chinese people i just want to play OFFLINE LAN with friends! 2 Points for some fun playing through normal-hell but now im selling my copy ... gl&hf bliz ...last diablo i bought!!
  45. Jun 4, 2012
    For all who don't know yet,whatever good and creative part there was in Blizzard is long gone.Now they are just reaping the profits off the work of people who are not working there anymore since around 2005. Any new game from blizzard will never ever be the same as their older games because the creative minds that made those games and their atmosphere left blizzard years ago so do yourself a favor and don't buy their new games because you liked the old ones,you'll only be disappointed! Expand
  46. Jun 4, 2012
    Absolutely raw, not finished, disbalanced and overpriced product. If you want to get tons of connection errors, and then get a story line worth just 10 hours of play - then this is a game for you. If you don't - don't buy it.
  47. Jun 5, 2012
    I thought all the negative reviews were out of touch angry nerds until I bought the game and tried it. I know you're thinking with blizzards' awesome track record of fun games it can't be all bad - I have news for you: events are handled with blizzard servers and not locally thus lag outs are common, there is no stats, no skill tree, nothing just linear button mashing and unlocking of new attacks.
  48. Jun 5, 2012
    Let me first say this is not coming from a 12 year-old troll or crybaby, but a great fan and veteran of the Diablo series and Blizzard titles in general. The game is simply terrible. I can leave aside all the technical issues like error 37, DRM, Auction House unavailability, lack of true single player, ... I can even leave aside the blatant FRAUD commited by Blizzard in the form of false advertising by not including major parts of the game such as PvP, not delivering a finished AH, ... I can leave all that aside and more because in the end Diablo comes down to one thing and one thing only: loot. People would have never continued playing Diablo II if it didn't have such a great loot system. It allowed you as a player to experience the thrill of finding great items, but still made you work hard for it. There was a good balance, and even casual players could enjoy some of the more exclusive items every now and then. Blizzard has done away with this in favor of their money making scheme, the AH. However, they neglected the fact that the very heart of Diablo was the thrill of the items. I do have to add that a great factor contributing to replayability was the skill system. For example you could try to create characters that were a little more wacky or excentric but powerful in their own way. This, too, has been eliminated because every Barbarian of lvl X equals every other Barbarian of lvl X. No idea which idiot came up with that... Blizzard, Diablo was about the fun of hacking down monsters, the thrill of the items, and also, a little work. A little work put in by the player that gave you pride in the end. Meaning that your character was strong because you made it strong. Now, because you've taken away all of these key ingredients, nothing remains of what was once your masterpiece. And that really is a damn shame. Collapse
  49. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely awful excuse for a 2012 PC video game. 2 Minutes of research on either google, or the Diablo 3 General Forums will outline a plethora of issues regarding this game. I'll list a few myself

Connectivity, Latency, Client/Server Synchronization, Hitbox issues, Animation Discrepancies (undodgable melee attacks), Horrid UI, Horrid Auction House setup, Auction House, Laziest
    Randomization, Homogenized Items and Stats, Bland Items, Useless Legendaries, Artificial Difficulty (Inferno Act 2-4). And 50 Other things that I don't even care to list Expand
  50. Jun 6, 2012
    I played this game for about 100 hours now (hardcore and softcore characters brought to inferno difficulty), so it wouldn't be fair to give it a score of 0.
    Nonetheless it is just disappointing, what happened to the Diablo franchise. For example the auction house might have been a great idea, but everyone could have known that Activision-Blizzard can't handle all the bots and duplicating
    of items, which now flood the AH and inflate the prices. Additionally the items in the auction house directly influence the drops in a players game, as has been confirmed by a Blizzard poster here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150112701?page=2#33

So the game, which is all about loot, won't let you get any (well, technically it's just 'even less') good loot, because some bots already flooded the auction house with good items.

There are many more flaws with this game (no game lobbies, just 4 kinds of gems to enhance your gear [really? didn't the developers of Diablo 3 play D2:LoD or was it just 'too complicated' to have more than 4 kinds of enhancements, which are just plain boring in my opinion..], ingame plot holes and inconsistencies [one follower which you can hire says 'we could have met in the tavern, i travel a lot' and some time later he may say 'i never was in the desert, i don't travel much'... yeah]) and many more, but the one with the item distribution being dictated by the auction house just kills any form of longtime motivation. And this is what the Diablo franchise is all about. Why else would people still play Diablo 2 after more than 10 years (well most people because of player versus player... another promised, but still missing feature of Diablo 3).
  51. Jun 6, 2012
    Actually no skill tree. Poor character graphics at starting screen. On the contrary, here and there on the map graphic details are redundant and look bad. No WASD controls as an option, can't move while casting (just as in Diablo 2, but I want it). Casting has a little delay. Maps still have blind zones. My keyboard (and even mouse!) has more keys for abilities than just 4. Doubtful user interface usability (IMHO). Internet connection is needed for single player. Servers are sometimes overloaded or in maintenance. Rumors that character can be hacked in realtime while playing online. Real money auction. PVP only in arenas.
    It is NOT a Diablo 3. It is ****
  52. Jun 7, 2012
    I'm really sad about D3. Friends bougth this to me for my birthday and I don't want to tell them it's a bad game, but that is what it is almost. It's a pity that a game like Titan Quest from 2006 may be considered better then D3 under different aspects.
    First of all, TQ has one or more customizable ability trees, which makes every "hero" a different one, while the lack of random maps is
    not a problem at all.
    For me, the second point that made D3 is the importance of the items, which surely comes from the presence of the House of Auctions, while the heroes stats are almost irrelevant: how can one call D3 "Action-RPG" while it is just a "click mosters and buy items" game?
    If it is not enough, the graphics hasn't any mood compared to the dark one from Diablo 2, as it came from a game of 5 or 6 years ago, and you can not play really alone, and you must have a fast and cheap Internet connection to play decently.
    So sad, so bad...
  53. Jun 7, 2012
    For all those that say well its not diablo 2! they are right,its diablo 1.5 .No character customisation or build choice.

Halfway through nightmare i just stopped and gave up.What's the point in grinding endlessly for 1 more vit,damage or primary stat.As that is all you need.

The item properties are dull and dont do anything worth bothering with ( see vit,damage,or primary stat) Seems
    they took all the fun stuff out! Expand
  54. Jun 15, 2012
    ***a copy paste of a great review on diablo forums - not mine and not full because the 5000 characters a reached***
    * Extremely dumbed down from D2, with insulting amounts of hand-holding present everywhere. This ranges from autostats, all skills enabled, no skill levels, freespecing, restricted skill choices without elective mode enabled, simple skill tooltips, removal of almost all
    combat mechanic affixes, no weapon swap, 4 socketables vs the hundreds of D2, generic/boring legendaries, etc.

* Lack of social support - poorly implemented chat channels, automatched game joining only, ghost town effect (similar to SC2's major problem with Bnet 2.0), 4 player limit = even less socializing.

* Cheesy B-movie story-telling, cliche one-dimensional characters, corny voice-acting, non-sensical/comical actions by villains, predictable twists and plotline.

* Lack of diverse character types within and among classes - no more physical/caster/hybrid - all character types now rely on weapon damage like physical characters in D2. This destroys a huge amount of itemization/gearing choices, as there's no longer a deviation between decentralized gear (caster) vs centralized gear (physical) vs a build that needs to balance the two (hybrid). In D3, there are no more physical barbs (frenzy/ww), caster barbs (singer), or hybrid barbs (BvC), there are only barbs that all base their gear on weapon damage (physical).

* DRM online only - no offline single player, no lan support. Laggy servers, and all the same issues of botting, duping, spamming, and trade exploits present in a game that's over a decade old. * Crappy UI that's designed by a console developer - convoluted to navigate, clunky, and inefficient at utilizing screen space.

* Approx FOUR times less legendaries (uniques/runewords) in the game than D2:
    * 9 chest pieces vs 37 uniques + 14 runewords
    * 18 swords vs 35 uniques + 26 runewords
    * 6 shields vs 22 uniques + 8 runewords
    * 7 helms vs 23 uniques + 5 runewords
    * 7 bows vs 19 uniques + 16 runewords
    It's actually more like 20x less if you consider that all but 1-2 legendaries per category are completely worthless - low/mid-level legendaries are unusable due to a general lack of utility mechanics present in the game, and no way to upgrade the base item to the next type (which would increase base damage or defense).

* 4 gems vs 7 gems + 8 unique jewels + 33 runes + a NEAR LIMITLESS variety of magic/rare jewels.

* Legendaries are generic, boring, and don't have the flavor that D2 uniques/runewords did. Legendaries hardly seem to have themes or any effort done to them anymore, and most are just cookie-cutter molds that have been pasted onto every Legendary item type. Randomization of 1-3 entire affixes also makes the item much less iconic or powerful than before.

* The removal of attack rating (accuracy), faster hit recover, and faster block rate equates to a severe loss of having to balance such stats on gear, and represents yet another dumbing down of the decisions you make in the game.

* Much weaker bonuses on items in general aside from pure stats - less attack speed, less damage reduction, less run/walk speed = items feeling much less powerful than before and gear choices becoming much less meaningful or strategic. Set items also have extremely weak, almost laughable bonuses.

* Inferno mode is broken. It's not more difficult, it's just cheap. 1/2-shots everywhere, melee is severely handicapped. A number of retarded monster affixes that should never have been put in. Most builds except for a select few aren't even viable. There's no semblance of strategy, just having the best gear possible and dumb luck in not hitting the wrong champions. Since when did Diablo change from a game where you mow down monsters and feel like a god, to one where you repeatedly get cheap-shotted over and over again in a boring grind?

* Lack of character uniqueness/identity/ownership - all builds are freely changeable, many builds in the late game are similar or identical - no character permanence + lack of customizability = lack of character attachment.

* Lack of in-depth customization - skills only have 1 level each so it's impossible to specialize in certain skills to the extent you could before. You can't specialize in builds that aren't predetermined for you through the passive trait system. Because there are no points to allocate, there's no more tinkering with unique builds, thinking about your build, or calculating your allocation of skill points/synergies. Although stats played a lesser extent (due to most people putting enough str to wear gear, and rest into vit), removing stats still removed some unique build options such as pure dex amazons, pure energy sorcs, pure str barbs, half/half varieties of the aforementioned, and max block vs 50% block vs passive block depending on dex allocations.
  55. Jun 18, 2012
    DON'T TRUST THE RECENT POSITIVE USER REVIEWS. Diablo 3 has spawned a small army of top tier "investors" who now have a financial interest in seeing that this deeply flawed game receives positive feedback. They don't see you as fellow gamer seeking honest opinions before a $60 purchase, but as a potential mark who will foolishly spend money at Diablo 3's Real Money Auction House.
  56. Jun 19, 2012
    The game starts off at the log in screen. You MUST have an authenticator or you will be hacked. Unfortunately the game doesn't come with one in the box, so you have to buy one or get the free authenticator app. for your smart phone (if you have one). This information should have been placed on the box for anyone who wasn't aware of relegated end-user security. Once you log in, you create a character which can be one of five different classes: Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Wizard, Monk or Demon Hunter. The classes can be male or female but offer no other forms of character customization. The classes all have a locked in 6-set ability kit, which can be changed to elective mode. The barbarian is the classic up-front-and-smash-face character with a variety of melee spells; the monk is naturally more mobile and evasive in combat; the demon hunter is the ace-single-target kiter; a wizard is ranged and has a slightly more varied combat kit than the demon hunter, but still relies on kiting; and the witch doctor is a hybrid blend of range and close-combat, relying on a unique set of abilities (such as pets) to mitigate damage and deal a ton back. All classes have their pros and cons, and in and of themselves, are not cause for negative gameplay experiences.

The gameplay is relatively smooth but incredibly generic for a game that's been in development for years. You hit and run any set of mobs with the only differences being barbarians using hp as a resource pool for usurping damage and ranged classes having hard snares. There are four difficulties with the later and most 'difficult' being Inferno. The monsters present only an increase in affix combinations and damage/hp; there are no significant puzzles or theorycrafting involved with killing a monster: You have the numbers to kill a monster (or group), or you don't. If you don't, you have the GAH or the RMAH to look to for upgrades. The GAH (Gold Auction House) allows you to use gold accumulated in the game to buy items. Gold offers no intrinsic value outside of its accepted use as currency to buy items. Unfortunately most upgrades at level 60 (pre 1.03) cost gold that would take the average person weeks to accumulate. This is further compounded by individuals who exploited the game early on with bots and hacks to steal gold from people who didn't use an authenticator and so amassed wealth at a rate that caused damage to the economy.

The RMAH allows you to spend real world currency to acquire items. However the only way to make use of this feature is by having a smart phone with SMS and a paypal account linked to your Battle.net account. To summarize, you must have an authenticator because Blizzard can't protect their online-only game. The character's and itemization offer no individualized dynamic aesthetic appeal. You can beat the game with whatever gear you find, but you can't experience the full content of the game because it is built around the use of an Auction house. The storyline constantly contradicts with the previous storyline given in Diablo and Diablo 2 --- or, at least strays away from the atmosphere and experience of the original two games and is filled by cheesy, b-rate quotes and poor voice acting. You may not play the game based on the story and that's ok because you might enjoy running around in circles for ten minutes with no hope of upgrading or individualizing your character.
  57. Jun 19, 2012
    I've been a Blizzard fan boy since Diablo demo. My opinion finally changed completely after Blizzard's handling of today's 1.03 patch. D3 release was terrible: servers crashing/offline, error messages,you can only play online(EVEN single player). Graphics are meh, welcome to Neverwinter Nights level from years+++ ago. I quit D3 a few weeks ago after I learned that you cannot progress to a higher difficulty without spending money on the Auction House. Farm your own gear? Fat chance. Gameplay took a major nose dive today when my hardcore D3 friends told me they can't even play their characters due to the immense game nerf(which professionally, should've been addressed in a beta and tested!) People put $100's of dollars into gear that is now worthless and Blizzard is hiding behind a rock at massive demands of refunds. Conclusion: Don't believe the hype, this is the equivalent of a Nintendo Wii - over hyped, dated technology garbage. Expand
  58. Jun 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been playing this game since launch, and I've also just tried out the new patch 1.0.3, so I think I can now sum up pretty much everything I feel about this game.

I am not going to touch basis. If you want to see graphics, sounds, and gameplay itself, you can watch youtube.

This game has lost touch with Action RPG. In Action RPG, you start off with a weak level 1 character, slay ALOT of monsters and bosses, and equip yourself with epic items which you can go back and crush the living hell out of them. Using shortcuts to earn gold and items, Action RPG is built around farming over and over again for epic items and lots of gold. It's a never ending cycle which injects into your brain like a drug or, in simple terms, item gambling addiction.

In Diablo 3, alot of people looked for ways to farm gold and items easily, looking for shortcuts, or even exploits.
    There is a difference between efficient way to farm and using exploits.

1. Efficient way to farm - Every games which requires you to earn to progress has this. No matter how you design the game, the biggest fun comes from yourself feeling efficient and rewarding.
    2. Exploits - Using bugs or cheats to earn your way through the game. This is almost always fixed in any games you see.

Blizzard has blocked almost every possible way to farm efficiently. This took away most of the fun. They want us to play the way they designed it. They think their design will be fun for all users. Well they thought wrong. No matter what design you put into your game, the game gets boring quick without the freedom to make your own choice about how you will play the game.

With patch 1.0.3, which alot of people were waiting for it because it reduced the difficulty in Inferno, along with removing damage modifiers when partying with friends to kill monsters and bosses. However, with this patch came even worse changes, including enrage timer, significantly increased repair cost, and significantly reduced attack speed. There are other changes but these three I believe are the biggest changes.

1. Increased Repair Cost : Blizzard wanted a way to stop people from Resurrecting and zerging the boss. However, with this came people stop trying. It's simply not worth to try hard boss anymore if you die couple of times, because repair cost is, well, beyond repair if you die couple of times with level 53 gear or above(which you should be having if you are in Inferno). This loses the whole fun of trying to beat the boss despite a bit of lack of gear.

2. Enrage Timer : Enrage timer causes monster or boss to enrage after certain time is up, causing immense increase in damage to kill you. It basically tells you "No your gear is not enough to kill me. Please farm some more." Farming is fine, but again, because of this, it took out the "trying".

3. Attack Speed decrease : Attack speed has been decreased by half. This is not a matter of whether decrease was a right thing to do or not, but I have never seen a patch after a game was officially released to have this much significant amount changed. I can only say this game is still in beta, and I paid 60 bucks to join the beta.

Lastly, we have the infamous Real Money Auction House system(RMAH). This was a way for Blizzard to battle against countless number of items being sold in our sites for real world currency. Did they succeed? I would say they succeeded around half. Several points to be made about this.

1. Highest stats items will still be sold outside Blizzard owned Auction house : RMAH limits to 250 bucks, so that isn't going to stop legendary items with incredible stats which could be sold for more than 500 bucks.
    2. Destroyed Gold Auction House(GAH) : Ever since RMAH opened, all the high quality items are flooding into RMAH, forcing people to use real money to buy what they want. This totally destroyed GAH, and only worthless items are being sold at GAH now.
    3. Morally wrong : Battling illegal item trading is fine, but embracing it and bringing it to game's own system and leeching one bucks per items being sold? Something is very wrong here.

Blizzard, or the current Diablo Developers, seems to have no idea what Action RPG is. Inferno difficulty was a gamble in some way, and no Diablo Fan ever asked for insane difficulty mode where we need to farm for a year to get our characters epic-ed out. It looks like they forgot what "Fun means".

After merging with Activision, Blizzard has become a money hungry game company just like EA. It's not the Blizzard we all knew.

RIP Blizzard we will miss you.
  59. Jun 20, 2012
    Game is OK until you hit the "challenging parts". There are too many design flaws and messed up patches of code ("patches") injected into this game, it's tough to try out different styles of play throughout the entire game under the hardest difficulty, Inferno. The Designers and Developers aren't aligning themselves with the community for this game. Many voices out there are going unheard. Not to mention, this game revolves around it's RMAH (Real Money Auction House). You can buy and sell items found/earned in game. Great idea only when you play the game and get a feel for how upgrades work and how important they are at certain stages of play, you realize you are most likely going to have to reach for that wallet to maintain any level of progression through the game.

Overall:
    Brief amount of Good Gameplay, Graphics Great for 2008, Pay-to-Win, Developers are unwilling and/or don't care, this game has many factors pointing to it's demise with haste. Truly a shame.
  60. Jun 20, 2012
    Diablo 3 Removed Features: Stat Points, Skill Points, Rune Words, Runes, PvP, Open World, + many more

Diablo 3 Added Features: Cool Downs, Global Cool Downs, Death Timers, RMAH?

We wanted a new Diablo game, we didn't ask you to redesign the core fundamentals of the game. This game is boring, repetitive, yawn fest. They just want you to buy gear off the RMAH, so they can make thier
    $$$. F U BLIZZ. Expand
  61. cnr
    Jun 20, 2012
    Why does an ARPG have an real money auction house??????? OH.... because the company gets a cut of every transaction the players make! Of course Blizzard would nerf all drops in game forcing you purchase from thier real money auction house to progress in game.

This game fails at its core and not worthy of the "diablo" title that it holds. The number one complaint i have with this game is
    that is in online online and performs more closely to some second rate MMO rather than the ARPG is claims to be/is a successor of. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A GAME FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN Expand
  62. Jun 23, 2012
    This is the kind of game which forces a player to play for hundreds upon hundreds of hours--only players are no longer 'playing'. All they are forced to do is 'farming'. This isn't the kind of 'farming' which rewards players for any certain amount of effort made. It is an activity that makes the player spend these hours only for a small chance of something coming their way that can then have a chance of having a percentage of progress. It forces this mindless grinding upon players, which only benefits the game's 'Real Money Auction House' system, from which Activision Blizzard is making a nice cut.

There is no single player mode, despite what is said. You must keep yourself online at all times, and that means under no circumstances that you could play on your own or have a 'LAN' party with only you and your friends.

The multiplayer mode is horrible. There is a limit of only 4 players per game total. Players suffer from a constant threat of having their accounts hacked, but they are forced to keep playing online because they cannot play offline. The online game play also suffers from a number of bugs, including but not limited to a bugged chat system, exploitable servers, and insecure online play.

The game itself, aside from the horrid farming forced upon players, has very little going for it. The controls are clunky and awkward, many times making the player's character do unintended things. There are several dozen implemented 'fixes' as Blizzard calls them, that are actually made to make the game more difficult in order to force the player to farm longer. There is almost no fun in this game, outside of the first play through, which lasts only about 6 or so hours.

The only alternative to farming for hundreds upon hundreds of hours is a single option that Blizzard would love for all players to take: paying real world money to win. That is, this game is made to force players to pay money to buy more items in order to progress. It is a slow choking that eventually will leave no players for this game at all.

TL;DR? This game is horrible and no one should pay more than 5 dollars for it.
  63. Jun 23, 2012
    I've played this stinker of a game for 90 hours. If you are reading this, do NOT buy this game AT ALL COSTS. It sucks, hardcore suckage, as in suck my dick suckage.

Buy Torchlight I, or II, or Titan Quest. You'll have a blast. You will NOT enjoy this awful game.

I'll admit, I enjoyed the 20 hours that it took me to complete the single player game. The other 70 hours were an
    undending hell. In order to progress past "normal" difficulty you MUST use the the gold auction house.

In order to progress past "hell" difficulty, you MUST use the real money auction house and pay yet more money to Blizzard than the outrageously prohibitively $60 that these ^##%&(#@( already ask. (In case you are wondering, I'd pay $20 for this game in the bargain bin, it is NOT worth anything else.) Should you fail to heed this simple advice, you will spend entire weeks dying and not having fun.

Yes, that is right, the main theme of this game is death. All you will do is die. You will die not because you are a bad player, but because you do not have adequate gear. How do you get said gear? You do NOT play the game, you spend gold on the auction house, you spend yet more real money (than the outrageous $60 fee for such nonsense) on the real money auction house... a great deal of money. Then, maybe, you are capable of "playing" the game.

Should you ignore this advice and attempt to "play" the game like any normal PC game, you WILL fail. Death is extremely prohibitive. All of your gold will be spent on repair bills. The designers claim that you should be able to craft, in order to fill in missing gear slots. This is FALSE. You MUST use the AH, waste your gold, and you will not have enough to pay for the massive repair bills. If you die, under any circumstances, you FAIL.

Did I mention that this game requires a broadband internet connection to "play"? If not, bear that in mind. If you do have broadband internet, expect frequent delays and disconnections. You WILL DIE, regardless of your best efforts, simply because the Blizzard servers lag something awful.

DId I mention that the game is also terribly buggy? I play a 60 Wizard. Some of the most interesting skills that I have DO NOT WORK. This is unexcusable in game this mature and old.

Have fun playing the way that you are? Do not worry, Blizzard will patch the game soon to prevent you from having "fun". This is a concept unfamilair to these Zingy wannabes. As of patch 1.0,3 (yes, only 1.0,3 considering the replate flaws....), I lost 20% of my DPS from patch 1.0.2. There have also been many reports of Blizzard "hotfixing" the game to remove popular farming sites. After all, in order to succeed, you MUST spend 100's of hours farming (assuming you do not spend massive amounts of real life money on the real life money auction house to further this fiasco.)

Ugh, this awful metacritic text editor is not working correctly.... Anyways, I spent 100 days playing DIablo II. This Diablo sucks a lot. The graphics are also terrible. If anyone says anything good about this stinker, they're fans of farmville.... IF you like farmville, or dying, you'll like this terribad game.
  64. Jun 23, 2012
    First off, Metacritic appears to be censoring bad reviews of this game. The User Score is likely much lower. In a nutshell: If you enjoyed Diablo II, you will NOT enjoy Diablo III. I've spent 90 hours playing a Wizard. The first 20 hours were great fun, the past 70 were not! I would pay $20 for this game in the bargain bin, not the outrageous $60 that Blizzard is asking. The graphics suck. They are not much better than Diablo II, realeased over ten years ago. Think Torchlight with a lot less character and a lot higher GPU requirements. Think WoW style graphics and you have a good idea how awful this game looks.

The gameplay is simplistic. You die. You die, a lot. You die some more. You spend a all of your gold on repairs. Then you die some more and decide to quit the game. That's about all that happens after the first difficulty level.

If you plan on advancing, then you must use the auction house. It is impossible to solo this game. If you plan on reaching the highest difficulty level, Inferno, then you must also spend yet more money on the real money auction house (Blizzard takes a huge 30% cut of all purchases.)

There is no skill to this game. You do not spend skill points, or stat points, nor can you farm gear on your own. You must use the auction house. Well, I guess I shall end here, since metacritic refused to post my 5000 character critique... maybe this will actually be posted for a few seconds before Blizzard pays them to take it down.
  65. Jun 27, 2012
    This game is just awful. Oh wait, truth is, it isn't even a game. Instead it's a 60 dollar economy simulation with some kind of interactive screensaver. Playing the game really doesn't make any sense (more so after the last patch which rised repair costs by a huge amount). Because good ite,s only drop in regions where you will die (and die a lot). So instead save you gold and camp the ah or load a few bugs to your bnet account and camp the rmah instead. Time is surely better invested. Or simply don#t buy this "game" :) Expand
  66. Jul 16, 2012
    It had everything to be one of the best titles in gaming industry, yet it failed in every aspect.
    The graphics are outdated, the always online thing is a pain, the whole plot is laughable and cheesy, the skill system is dull and, believe me, this is not even the worst! The worst of it is that Diablo 3 is unrewarding. The fun of the game (i.e., getting better and better equipment for your
    characters) was ruined by a drastic reduction in drop rates of useful/epic gear and by the implementation of an Auction House. So why would you go out there and face hordes of demons if they carry nothing valuable? And why would you do that if everything you may want is already at sale on the Auction House? Totally pointless.
    In addition to that, while most games today are trying to create an innovative and immersive gameplay, Diablo 3 is a step backwards: it offers nothing new and makes you feel like you're not even part of the game. You have no choices, you don't change anything, you just click everywhere the whole time. Sure that was fun back in Diablo 2, but that was 12 years ago.
    Finally, if you're thinking about buying this game, don't get fooled by "professional reviewers" or Wikipedia articles. Diablo 3 is a huge disappointment. But don't take my word for it, just take a look at the Diablo 3 Forum!
  67. Jul 16, 2012
    You can't customize your characters, the spells you gain are automatically given as you level, and a very limited number of them. Each spell can have a rune attached to it, which is the only thing you can customize the problem is that many of the more powerful runes are obtained early on meaning you literally have nothing to look forward to as you level so it becomes very tedious as there are 4 difficulty levels of the exact same game. You also can't customize your controls, as the mouse buttons (left-click and right-click) can't be changed so you have to keep an ability that uses left-mouse click but also causes your character to move, so if you happen to mis-click a fast moving enemy, it causes your character to move which in later difficulty levels can easily result in death. You can't change this either. Once you hit Inferno difficulty, the difficulty ramps up drastically in each act, where "elites" have a set number of affixes they can pull from, with some combinations being ridiculously hard, even harder then the bosses in the game. To further cause problems, some of these abilities can instantly kill you, and are small and hard to see like the Frozen or Arcane ones which can be placed underneath, and hidden by spell effects on the screen, only to result in your instant death. Lag is still a problem several months after release, and the game must be played on-line with at least 1 day of maintenance per week, sometimes 2-3 lasting far longer then other games typically going till mid-afternoon EST. Your character can "rubber-band" due to lag, usually resulting in death and a repair cost for dying. Additional problems include the collision in-game. Some escape abilities used to get you away from dangerous situations like a Wizard's teleport, can be "caught" on tiny things on the map like a crate, or the edge of a wall causing you to teleport to the location that you collided instead of to the location that you clicked to go. As the abilities usually have long-cooldowns, this frustratingly leads to death as these abilities are normally used to escape dangerous situations so it doesn't help if you don't actually get moved from the spot you were trying to move. Another problem is the "queueing" of spells, as certain builds are built around button mashing, the queue routinely gets screwed up and clicking an ability doesn't always fire it off if something you had clicked earlier was still "queued". You move on to your next ability not realizing it never fired off. Lastly, and the worst part about this game is the horrible itemization. Getting an actual upgrade to drop is extremely rare, and I have yet to see a single upgrade in 120 hours of play right now. All of my gear was purchased on the gold Auction House where you can get pretty good items for very cheap because there is literally no market for them (thus, very hard to make any gold in this game because very few items ever sell) but the big upgrades are all priced well out of anyone's range unless they either use real money, or get extremely lucky and find a drop they can sell for millions to be able to afford the items going for 20+ million to upgrade their character and progress. Trying to sell mid-range items on the Auction House is an excercise in futility because there is a mandatory 36 hour posting period, and no way to cancel with a 10 item limit. So the odds are you will place 10 items up there, none will sell, and you can't put any additional Auctions up for another 36 hours. Even once you get a base set of cheap gear on the AH, without using specific min/max builds you will not progress through Inferno difficulty, and even as you do progress, the odds of getting an upgrade are slim to none so advancing your character is akin to winning the lottery, and not a normal path of progression with small, but systematic gains. Many people are botting and exploiting, further screwing the economy for the real players. At the end, you use the same skills through 4 difficulty levels of the same game (no customized levels like previous Diablo games), then are forced to bang your head against a wall trying to get an upgrade to drop (which is rare, considering how many different stats there are and the ridiculous fact that level 51 gear drops in the hardest difficulty, Inferno, which requires level 60 to enter) which makes zero sense. While you're trying to get this needle in a haystick upgrade to drop, you get to deal with horrible customization forcing people to play how they want you to play (using left-mouse for an ability and to move), bad collision engine and a difficulty level, especially on specific elite abilities, that makes little to no sense in Inferno and very quick deaths with repair costs for players. Do not buy this game unless you like torture. Expand
  68. Jul 21, 2012
    Gigantic let down of recent years. All anyone can stipulate is that under a different name it would have not been such a let down. It would have been seen as what it is then, an auction house rpg economic simulator (with war torn Europe as a base line for it's current currency stability, awful to say the least, LOL), but as a supposed successor to Diablo 2 it fails on ALL accounts and expectations possible. after almost a decade they crap out this excuse for a game. I even have the exact same problem with the game's launcher that I had in beta, 3 months after its release and had reported back in beta then, that they never even fixed! I personally managed to figured out a complex specific routine of killing the agent.exe process in task manager at certain visual queues of the launchers inane progression. (which is anywhere from stuck at 0% loading or 100%, both with the play button grayed out, and or sometimes flat out showing an error box with absolutely nothing helpful as to what may be the problem, forcing me to relaunch 1 second later and have no error like what usually occurs) A fair minority have had this problem and posted on the forum about it, but still nothing. In the error it says contact customer support... Let me tell you about customer support, they can't help you with the most prevalent problems like you losing items on the auction house, especially right after a patch, which happened to me, thankfully only on trash I was trying to peddle on the AH. Support cited having "no logs" for verifying whether or not I actually received the items even though one of them was a weapon I bought out and re-uped to get a profit, which appeared on the log that I CAN SEE. (which is flipping, learning a specific gear market, buying out gear you know for a fact could sell for higher, and then hopefully selling it for more than what it cost to buy it. Which is exactly why this game is an auction house simulator because you need to do things like that if you hope to get ahead an--- OH WAIT, gold just devalued a couple more million over night due to botters, nevermind that, we're never going to afford that gear for act 3-4 inferno now without using real money auction house, which is another reason things are as bad as they are in this game, ActiBlizz's greed and stupidity.
    Stupidity because they could actually make WAY more money by actually making the game fun and work instead of REQUIRING THE AUCTION HOUSE FOR EVERYTHING. Oh right, did i forget to mention you will never see a drop of gear that you actually want or need? Legendaries are all USELESS. (supposed to be their answer for uniques from diablo 2) I had 3 legendaries drop in over about 300+ hours played, a recipe for a useless level 50 legendary crossbow called starburster or w/e, which I have no idea how people hope to use to draw a profit (with its typical, high resource cost to craft) OR use on their character for more than 2 levels until already seeing better gear. (on auction house) Somehow it sold for a meager 450k at the time, probably all suckers who actually think they know what their doing with their time or money, pro tip: they don't and I BET they all quit the game soon after realizing their loss and was the final nail in the nail filled coffin for this despicable excuse for a diablo game. ActiBlizz strikes again with another mediocre game that takes so much from its cash crop game WoW. IF, IF... IF, they hadn't lost ALL, ALL, ALL of their ORGINAL DIABLO DEVELOPMENT TEAM... THEN, they may have had their priorities set. Instead, they throw money at vain safe devs

* Players need progression, skill progression, experience level progression, and gear progression all combine to make the player feel the character is theirs and theirs alone. By the end game, my character should feel completely different than another character of the same class.

* Smooth out the difficulty. The only reason inferno is so tough, is because is was implemented as an afterthought. Gear checking between acts, is painful, even for the biggest D2 geek.

* Here's one that I really can't understand, make each difficulty level, a little different - Open up new areas, add new monsters, add unique events, add people to the towns. There is no difference in the world of Diablo between difficulties, every run through is exactly the same, except the monsters get tougher. * The legendaries (uniques) are a real head scratcher. There are two possibilities here. Either legendaries didn't have enough time to be implemented, or someone actually thought it would be a good idea to make them completely unusable. In either case, this really scares me.

* The Story - Just terrible, with such cheesy voice acting and dialogue. Possibly the most shocking part for me. There are no characters I feel any connection to. I have zero reason to hate, or want to destroy the bosses. Plus they're mostly remakes of old bosses, brought back for absolutely no reason.
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    I don't describe myself as someone who enjoys torturing himself, but after playing Diablo 3 for 150 hours I'm having second thoughts.

I pre-purchased the game and thankfully did not spring for the collectors edition, as this game is a monumental failure. When patch 1.03 was released, around 65% of players stopped playing the game, with good reason. There is nothing more I can add to
    the previous negative reviews, but to sum up what I think are the worst problems, consider the following:

1: The drops are terrible.
    2. The only point to picking up items, realistically, is to sell them for gold so that you can either (1) repair your gear that apparently evaporates over time and gets constantly obliterated by inferno elites that one shot your glass cannon character that the game apparently had in mind when it presented you with the option of a "glass cannon" skill, OR (2) buy items from the auction house so that you can HOPE to kill elite monsters so that you can HOPE that they will drop something worth owning (which is, unfortunately, wishful thinking). 3. There is no endgame.
    4. "Developer" Jay Wilson is almost as big a failure as the game itself. Nothing warms the heart of a customer more than hearing the company tell you that you are wrong and they are right. 5. It's just not fun. "Grinding" in D2 was fun, because you could just go into a cow level, PWN everything, do some meph runs, and trade items with people instead of Blizzard and its 15% fee. "Grinding" in D3 is a joke, because the elites in inferno are designed to one shot even the best-equipped characters. And the drops are awful. It is so easy to get sucked into a perpetual cycle of endless frustration... At least with "grinding" in D2 you didn't get one-shotted while wearing good gear. And if you did, you could at least kill some stuff before you died. People like killing things. 6. So many other better games out there for $60. Even for $40. Or $20. 7. Graphics and interface are...unexpectedly outdated. The graphics issue is self explanatory. . . but the chat interface is just bad. People are constantly chatting "private" messages into the general channel because it is so clumsy. The list really goes on and on, and on, and on. . . I was able to sell all of my gear before 1.03 and made some money on this game, but I absolutely do NOT recommend this to any of my friends. Don't even buy it to complete your "Blizzard" collection of games. This is an embarrassment.
  70. Jul 23, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the fan boys and critic reviews. Diablo 3 is a monetized scheme to get players to spend real money (Real Money Auction House) for virtual gear. Admittedly the game is quite fun from levels 1-59, but each difficulty level is an exact repeat of the previous level except that the mobs hit for more damage and are more difficult to kill. However, the endgame is nothing but a gold grind to buy the necessary gear for completion of Inferno level. Another MAJOR issue with D3 is account hacks. Only a fool would spend real money on a virtual item just to have it ripped off. Finally, players are forced to use servers, there is not a client based platform. So when D3 servers are down you cant play. Expand
  71. Jul 23, 2012
    The game play until normal to hell difficulty (in other words, up to level 60) is quite fast paced and fun. However, there are numerous problems you will face once step into Inferno. The difficulty leaps oblivion which causes many late comers to visit AH. Yes, you can FARM to play Inferno, but it will take eons of time due to the patch 1.0.3 itemization. So, once you hit the AH and get knocked out by horrendous price which caused by botters and pre 1.0.3 exploiters. So, yes, you will be ripped off by no-lifers and gold farmers. Ok, some people are patient enough to get these hardship through to face critical exploits(including the invulnerable Wizard) breaking the game play up from base. I do not care about graphics, storyline, sound effects if they are descent enough for current year. But, the game play mishap ruined everything to be scored zero. THIS GAME MUST HAVE BEEN RELEASED BETA LEVEL!!! Expand
  72. Jul 31, 2013
    I bought it, I played a long time and I have a huge remorse trash nothing to do many bugs, many hacks, a lot of money in a market trading addict bli$$ard closed his eyes to the use of fraud because they earn too much money Sad but true bli$$ard died Activision just left ....run like hell from this game....play POE or Diablo 2 much better than this masterpiece of garbage.
  73. Jul 27, 2012
    Server Issues aside, this game lacks the "game"

Normal/Nightmare are a mindless faceroll against mindless AI, with boring items dropping all the way,
    that is, each item has 1-3 stats on it. To increase your damage, you need your class's primary stat; there's really no need for any amount of defensive stats in these "difficulties". Delves on stats are so low that Critical Hit Chance,
    Critical Hit Damage, Thorns, and Increased Attack Speed are irrelevant

The story bland, while that is not a big deal, it becomes one when it is forced upon the player repeatedly. There are no options to automatically skip the cinematics or the numerous ingame scripted events that play. For some time I wasn't even aware you could skip the scripted ones. That said, the play is very, very linear, and the area you ocupy is completely dependent on the quest you choose to do. The free roaming aspect is just about completely removed from Diablo, as well as randomized maps gone. The only aspect of "random" left, is the placement of entrances on a static zone, and monster spawns.

Each Act is literally half the size of previous, so I have to question what they were doing for 10 years...

Many things shown in videos prior to release, such as PvP, currently are not present in the game, Patches and hotfixes are biased towards the AH/RMAH, while anything they do throw at the game itself is Nerfs to beneficial mechanics, such as Magic Find working on enviromental objects, the spawns of Treasure Chests, gold drop amounts, even a flat 50% cut to the Attack Speed bonus on items....ONE DAY AFTER THE RMAH GOES LIVE. What they did buff was repair costs .

Inferno itself is bad design; the "difficulty" is artifical, in that your ability to complete the content is 95% gear based, without exaggeration. It is even announced on the official forums that the hitboxes of your character are oversized, because they did not want you dodging things, because it "is not fun", and is intended by desgin not to be possible to weave in and out of attacks. That said, the range on melee from monsters is rediculous. Once an animation starts, you can expect to be regardless of where you are on screen when it lands. This particular issue is worsed by latency, which yes, is attributed to server issues, but I suppose I make this more in reference to Always Online, and the lack of availability of a suitable connection to many.

Many of the supposed reasonings behind making the game Online Only failed, among them being stopping botters, or preventing hacks .

More on the Gear Check issue, once you meet the requirement, Inferno is Hell all over again, literally.
    It wouldn't be such a large issue if Inferno really was optional, which technically it is, except the only reason left to play the game is to make money off of the RMAH or continue gearing up, both of which lead you to Inferno, which in turn has deplorable drop rates on decent gear. I refer to decent gear as gear which is sustainable to getting you through the content of Inferno, and it does not drop at a practical rate, at all.

To progress through Inferno, you rely on the AH, because you cannot obtain your gear on your own without devoting obscene amounts of time into the game. This would be acceptable, if it were limited to Godly/High Tier items. But this is for stuff just to clear the content, it does not drop on a typical set of runs.

Moreover, when Blizzard announced the droprate increase to higher item level gear, they didn't bother to mention they completely gimped the chances of it being useful; that is, minimum values on given Affixes were lowered, and the likelyhood of rolling more Affixes themselves was reduced.

Following 1.03, there have been many unannounced changes to the game, such as the reworking of Magic Find; an updated page on said stat was located on 7/21, but it was unannounced

Now assuming this was not a change, then their claims that Magic Find worked exactly as it had from Diablo 2 were lies.

Back to the issue with Inferno, there are bizzare combinations of Affixes on Elite/Champion packs, that are outright horrible design.

From CC locking to being Invulnable, naturally fast mobs having a Fast affix, Jailer locking you in pools of hazards, running from an enemy only to be Vortexted straight back to it, mash your cooldown to escape only to have it Teleport straight to you

There are many problems, but there are over 3000 other reviews available here that cover all thse things are better than I am willing to.

As a typical game, I'd rate 4/10, but since they slapped "Diablo" on it, and continue to run it into the ground with each new patch, 1/10
  74. Jul 27, 2012
    Terribly disappointed: the game is too simplistic. Would be ok for 10 year old casual gamers, but I'd like to be able to customize my character, rather than having it auto-level, auto-skill building, auto-upgrading, auto-everything.

For Diablo4, program an option to auto-move, auto-attack and auto-loot, and I'll go have a beer while my computers plays on its own.

Besides, Blizzard is
    working much more on their auction house than on improving the quality of the game. Greed everywhere. Bye bye Blizzard, you just lost a customer (several thousands if not millions, actually).

Graphics are good, by the way...
  75. Jul 31, 2012
    I give this a 4 points score. Why ?
    1) The story is toooooo obvious.
    2) The technical issues, (error 37, disconnection in European Realms, lag, stuttering because hard drive trouble) are too numerous. I have the feeling to play in a beta test stage.
    3) Then, permanent connection requirement, drop rate stupid, and looting table are just not balanced for that kind of game. EVERYTHING is
    designed to use the AH ... This is ruining the game in my opinion.

I have tried to rise 5 kind of characters. 3 of them are already 60 capped. My main feeling is that i am looting things this is needed for a class when i am using an opposite one. Once again, this is frustrating.

I am truly disappointed by Blizzard choices, and in the future i will consider their next games with a lot of care before buy or not it. To my eye, Blizzard is no more a good game maker. Just a business company with the following goal : make sure that people is addicted and make the maximum profit thanks to that kind of players.
  76. Sep 21, 2012
    I was the biggest diablo and blizzard fan... diablo 3 released... I hate blizzard and diablo
    They pretty much butchered the whole series and the company in everyones eyes.
    This is the worst game release ever and tehy should all get fired and never develop a game ever again!
  77. Aug 4, 2012
    Horrible game combine with horrible customer service. The only fun thing about D3 is the forum, but even the mods are banning people left and right just for complaining about the game.
  78. Aug 5, 2012
    Reading other reviews that call this game a "triumph" makes me wonder if the reviewer even played the game. At any rate, I played the original Diablo and also Diablo 2 and I can say for certain that this game has none of the dark atmosphere of the first, and none of the enjoyable gameplay of the second. It pretty much feels like WoW ported to the ARPG genre. Here are some highlights: 1)Always-On DRM was supposed to protect us from hacking and exploits, which did neither. 2)Auction House feels mandatory since it's next to impossible to gear up for inferno based on drops in game. 3)Drops in general are terrible. Most Legendary items are laughable. 4)Enrage timers and gear checks in an ARPG (these things really only belong in an MMO) 5)Limited character builds and uninspired skills. 6)Various fixes implemented to combat the people exploiting the game that ended up punishing the legit players. Very disappointing for such a highly anticipated game. Expand
  79. Aug 7, 2012
    Too linear, too repetitive, too limited, one of the worst leveling systems ever. Single player doesn't work offline.
    Problem with servers.
    Total disappointment.

Although it has gone over 10 years since Diablo 2 was released Diablo 3 is worse.
  80. Aug 17, 2012
    I will not complain about the connectivity issues and Blizzard's recent trend of fetishism for DRM. Multiplayer SC2 has some of the same faults, and it is a great game. The problems with D3 are numerous and too large to overlook. The most glaring deficiency is the story. Foreshadowing should be subtle. Every villain in D3 tells you exactly what they are going to do and when. The side dialogue all but explicitly says what is coming up next. The new characters that enter the realm are poorly developed. I do not care at all about them or know their motivations. It is the difference between The Godfather and Avatar. The Godfather has a great story. The characters are developed. There is emotion. The scenes are visually pleasing, but the director does not bash you with action at all times. Avatar sacrifices story on the altar of cool visual effects. It is so predictable and its characters are so vapid that you want to keep watching because you paid the $12 for the ticket, and damn it, you are going to get your full 3 hours because you paid for it.

The game is incredibly item dependent. I suppose that this is by design. Feel like you are getting killed too often? Head over to the auction house and buy some of our items. That is fine. It does not kill the game by itself. WoW did the same thing and it did not break the game. What really peeves me is bringing cash into it. Want to really smash the bad guys? Grab your mother's credit card and use some real life currency. Blizzard gets a cut of the action, of course. On that same point, there are very few times during a playthrough that you feel like you are in the right location for your level. I am usually smashing the baddies or getting manhandled like a boxing match between Mr. T and Michael Cera. The happy medium is difficult to find and fleeting.

Blizzard has been a reliable company over their whole history. I have never been disappointed in any of their previous titles. Players of any skill level could have a blast playing over and over again. They were visually pleasing. At the same time, the gameplay was smooth, and the story was engaging. Yes, D3 is visually pleasing considering that they needed to make a game that would run on a wide range of hardware. Yet, it lacks the essential elements of a good game. It has been dumbed down and destroyed in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Blizzard used to be a team of artists that were the greatest at their craft. They have lost that slowly since WoW. No amount of bug fixes and balancing can fix that.

As a longtime fan of Blizzard games, I am incredibly disappointed in D3. I wasted $60 and 60 hours of my life. In the future, I will no longer blindly trust in Blizzard's ability to produce a good game. Their reputation has been tarnished so severely for me. It is time to put that silly dream out of its misery like a black powder rifle to old yeller's head.
  81. Sep 24, 2012
    People who like juice boxes, being told what to do, who have no self respect, and enjoy products that break all the time for no reason will love this game. Please, buy it, support Blizzard and their mentality that you are lucky to play this **** game.
  82. Oct 8, 2012
    Boring, simple, limiting itemization. Plot & dialogue geared for a 10 year old. Very linear game play with little randomness. Stat system dumbed down beyond belief. No pvp, no endgame, no reason to continue to play. New Paragon level makes it more restrictive to level alts. Botters and spammers everywhere. Arrogant game designer who clearly has no idea how to make an ARPG and who is clearly taking his cues from WoW. Worst gaming disappointment ever. Expand
  83. Oct 9, 2012
    I cannot find anything good to say about this game. I wanted to like it, but it has no lasting end game. I played D2 for 11 years. D3 = 1 month. Too much hype; an insanely long development time that shows nothing other than perhaps legal issues regarding the auction house. Very poor story. I cannot fathom an expansion based on the ending. I prefer having the ability to make custom games not the auto-assigning. Inferno prior to the latest patch as of this writing was as a friend called it, "utterly ridiculous and a cheap gimmick" and stopped upon completing Hell difficulty. I persisted, but it was not until I found richer friends who could use the auction house could I progress past Act 2. I have a long list of friends who I played with (and I started on launch weeping through error 37), and none of them have logged in for over a month now. Most went back to WoW or some other game. I recently started playing D2 and Torchlight II; I can live without awesome graphics.

All I care about are things like end game, replay-ability, more diversity, less grinding, and an attempt by a company to maximize the development time listening to the community.

I get it. I'm a veteran and my eyes are clouded by nostalgia. Still, I put in my time. I tried all classes. Tried Hardcore. It doesn't work. I don't think the game can be patched to fix the issues. It was a colossal mistake from all angles. I don't care about SP. That bothers older players, but I didn't play D2 for the single player. The critics obviously did not play the game; they need to actually play these games before reviewing. I mean there is something seriously wrong with such a massive disparity 3.7 vs 88? Personally, I wish I never bought the game. I really thought it was going to be keeping me up night after night for months. I got into the beta, and I thought it was just a random area for us to test. In no way did I find elements of the teaser gameplay released in 2008 that was 10x better than what I was given.

All in all, do yourself a favor and play anything else or if you really want to play wait until it is on sale or a certain man in charge of this game gets fired for making abusive remarks and/or the company gets off the high horse and goes back to its garage days where it has to think about the gamers and not instant profit, residual income, and other gimmicks that failed to keep me and lots of others away. Yes, that was a run-on. Terrible....so terrible.

I give it a 1 out of 10. Nothing can save this franchise. SC2 has more hope. Warcraft will always be their baby. I got that much out of the 20 year anniversary they posted on the website. 75% Warcraft, 20% Starcraft, 5% (barely a mentioning) Diablo. Fin.
  84. Nov 13, 2012
    In soviet Blizzard game plays you!
    Poor loot quality leaves comrades feel unrewarded and dependent on the auction house. Required internet connection screws the people out of playing single player games when Blizzards servers are down for maintenance. No ability to color or hide or personalize legendary items, steals creativity and individuality. No cheats or mods allowed for single
    player (multiplier is understandable, but what is a PC game with no cheats or mods for single player? it kills innovation, fun, and community) No sense of ownership or pride when playing this game. You feel like your playing the game the way soviet Blizzard wants you to play not the way you want to play. Shame on you Blizzard and your iron fist. Expand
  85. Nov 26, 2012
    For 60 $ Its not worth it one bit.....get Torchlight 2 for the fraction of the price. I expected way more from blizzard....it had so much potential and the hype was high, i just wonder what happened......
  86. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is terrible and nothing like the previous games. If you like auction house simulators, then this game is for you. I had absolutely no fun playing this game at all.
  87. Jun 7, 2013
    I'm really shocked that this is a release from Blizzard Entertainment. It feels more like some sort of free to play cash shop game, where they design it to be mind-numbingly boring and hope that you'll buy things from the cash shop to improve your experience.

Unlike the vast array of other ARPG's I've played, this game just absolutely refuses to let you find your own gear upgrades. The
    intent was obviously to try to herd players to the auction houses to buy items, but considering ARPG's are largely about finding items, this design really ruins the experience. In fact, there's nothing else really to this game other than an incredibly boring, frustrating and defective item system. There (was) no pvp, the social system is basically non-existent--so I guess we are supposed to buy items from the cash shop so we can just log in and stare at our awesome character.

Blizzard removed a lot of things from the previous Diablo games, saying that these elements essentially constituted bad game design, but then they replaced these elements with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So there's now no reason to kill bosses in Diablo 3, (farming bosses was bad design, apparently), there are no skill trees, (skill trees are bad design, apparently), there (was) no pvp, (no pvp is apparently better design than imperfect pvp), not to mention various other elements that were removed from the series.

There's not much of a game here after the first play through, I'd spend my money on another title.
  88. Nov 26, 2012
    The biggest problem with Diablo 3 is that it shows that Blizzard now treat their paying customers with contempt, nothing but cattle to milk dry, and it's an attitude built into the games. The Real Money Auction House and Always On DRM mean that now Blizzard can push an update at any moment and you get it whether you want it or not. So if Blizzard want to improve their end of financial year statement, they can push a patch to increase difficulty to encourage in game purchases. Blizzard must have thought the many years they had statisticians monitoring and balancing the economy of Diablo 2 was knowledge they could "monetize". Diablo 3 is setup around the premise of an economy that Blizzard control completely and can fiddle the numbers to maximise profit.
    So it's no surprise then that the game sucks. The idea of "builds" that made Diablo 2 so much fun has effectively been removed by the "casualisation" of the game at the earlier difficulty levels to increase the customer base. It's now impossible to ruin your character. The game is now about finding (or paying real) money instead of finding items. The plot is also horrible.
    Avoid at all cost.
  89. Nov 26, 2012
    Don't waste your time, get Torchlight 2 or Guild Wars 2. Diablo has been gone since D2. The current team is garbage and so is the game. It's really a shame what has been done to this franchise. I remember being a teen playing the original Diablo, those were the days. D3 has NONE of the depth of D2!
  90. Nov 26, 2012
    I won't give Diablo III a 0/10. It did have smooth combat, unfortunately that's it. I won't complain that the story sucked, we all expected that as it's far from the point of a game series which was made famous as a hack and slash dungeon crawler. Everything we DO expect from Diablo has been taken out. Skill, Attributes, world PVP, not being able to just buy your way through everything with real cash. Rather than tailoring to the audience Blizzard took a "you'll enjoy what we allow you to enjoy" approach. We were forced online even for single player which wouldn't, alone, be the absolute death of the game if the server functioned half as well as the decade old Diablo II servers. Rather than customizable character builds we were forced into pre-designed characters on which the biggest difference was whether or not when you leaped you did AOE damage on falling or if it had a shorter cooldown. To replace the customizable character builds we got an overly intricate item system in which even the top tier items have stats that vary so much that no one knows where the cap's are; the item system, rather than promoting farming and gearing new characters instead just causes people to give up and shell out more real life cash to get even decent gear. In other words the entire game is tailored so that in order to reach any sort of endgame gearing level or pvp-ready level, the only two options are hundreds of hours of mindless grinding for items which, once they drop, may not even have any usable stats, or giving up hope and giving blizzard more money. That's it. The entire depth of this game can be summed up as, "try to get them hooked with smooth combat and flashy cinematics, force them to pay us more if they want their characters to be even slightly different from anyone else". Sorry for the length, and I try to be as objective as possible, but the fact of the matter is they had a system that worked and, when they saw a window for more cash, they let greed ruin it. Expand
  91. Dec 7, 2012
    This game of depression is repetitive, the drops are based on the AH, do not recommend to buy, many players are left the game because of Blazzard not support, latency / ping is horrible, have certain hours that is unplayable.

Summarizing all that and then some, GARBAGE.
  92. Nov 27, 2013
    as a hardcore gamer my expectations were short lived when things on this game just seemed more overpowered, many over redundant, many skills obvious in choices and end game items narrowed down to the ONE and ONLY strongest Axe (skorn) in the game.
  93. Sep 17, 2013
    The implementation of the auction house and real money auction house destroys the fun for me. This is a poor idea, which destroys the excitement of finding something truly awesome after a long grind. There is nothing about this experience that can even come near the feeling you got in Diablo II, when finding a high level green item. All the super graphics, the smooth 3D engine, the nice music, and decent voice acting is all for nothing.
    Completing the game takes just a few hours, and after that, you are stuck with a pointless grind,
    which rewards you with absolutely nothing.
  94. Sep 25, 2013
    Just a POOR game i played 3x 60s and now nothing to do NOTHING maps everytime the same Auctionary house and now they write that they will close the Auctionary at march u know why at march? they hope that people start buying now when they know that AH is closing at march those failors they should get banned from the gamingscene! Criminals NEVER Blizzard games NEVER!!!!!!!!!!
  95. Aug 1, 2012
    A lot of money was spent on this 'Arcade RPG' and 0 is an unplayable mess and I rate this game a 0 because:

Most Clicked this game is playable one hand with your eyes closed. This is a Zero because it isn't a game.

It is an experiment. A meta test on gold selling, auctions worth real money, and loot grinding. Please don't let games become Casinos online RPG....
  96. May 16, 2012
    I would fine if Diablo3 were just a Diablo2 with updated graphics. Unfortunately it's not. Every single PvP aspect has been left out (the ones that made Diablo 2 so addictive and dangerous), co-op has been taken down from 8 players to 4 and the hardcoreness and grittiness are nowhere to be found.Graphics have been updated...to the standards of year 2005. Add to that microtransactions and DRM and you have a game that is more Farmville than Diablo. Expand
  97. Jun 9, 2012
    I wanted Diablo 3 to be a perfect game. I tried not to judge it by the errors following the release as many people did as it wasn't fair - now, nearly a month after the release the servers are stable, yet AH downtimes still happens. I've spend over 120 hours in game, cleared entire Inferno level with my main DH and I'm halfway through Hell with my Wiz. And I'm just bored. There game itself is good enough, but the randomization is barely noticeable and you just run the same levels over and over again (I went through all quests at least 7-9 times + farmed Act 3 of Inferno a lot) - it's simply boring, but I can get over that, it was to be expected. What I can't ger over is the **** beyond repair item drop system. All items you get are either total thrash or meant for 10 levels below yours - this is obviously intended to make people use AH - that's still fine. However, right now the AH is completely destroyed by Chinese gold farmers, Inferno item prices are skyhigh because of hyperinflation, basically an Inferno entry level gear for my Wiz costs about 25-30 mil, 2 weeks ago it was below 2 mil - farming Act 3 Inferno I would be able to afford that in about 4 months - obviously, by not solving this issue they want me to pay for those items on RMAH - no thanks. Add to the above the constant gold selling crap on all channels, frequent ninja nerfs that simply appear without any trace of patch notes, totally imbalanced difficulty in Inferno (I still feel sorry for melee classes after I face rolled through Inferno with my DH), loads of exploits available that allowed some people make fortunes in first two weeks, and so on. Basically, if you are not able to farm Inferno right now then you are **** out of luck because you'll need RMAH to do so. In the end the game itself is not bad, it gets boring but still it's not a bad game. However the implementation of item drop system that forces people to use AH and the hyperinflation that increased AH prices 10 times in two weeks simply made creating alts unpleasant. Expand
  98. May 16, 2012
    Note - the negative reviews, hysterical as they may be, sound more like actual customers and less like paid posters than the postive ones, while the "professional critic" reviews are either glorified european blogs with a grand total of two or three on the staff or bigger outfits that live in fear of having their ATVI advertising money cut off.

The reality is that it is a game with a
    talented team behind it, but zero experience in the genre. I'd advise checking out Torchlight II if you want to experience a game at a fair price made by people who have done it a few times before. Expand
  99. Jun 4, 2012
    Awfuly boring gameplay, primitive graphics, many connections errors... IS this a BLIZZARD GAME ? NO !
    And "This game sucks big time and it's a disgrace compare to the original Diablo games from Blizzard North".
  100. May 17, 2012
    I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GAME. I don't know what I expected but this was not it. Same game play monotony, but I was hoping for some more RPG style play. Twelve years in the making, AND THIS IS IT?
  101. Jun 5, 2012